Speaker 1: Hello, It is Ryan and I was on a flight the other day playing one of my favorite social spin slot games on chumbacasino dot com. I looked over at the person sitting next to me, and you know what they were doing. They were also playing Chumba Casino. Coincidence, I think not everybody's loving having fun with it. Chumpa Casino's home to hundreds at casino style games. You can play for free anytime, anywhere, even at thirty thousand feet. So sign up now at Chumbuck Casino dot com to claim you're free. Welcome bonus, that's Chumbuck Casino dot com and live the chumber line.
Speaker 2: No necessary void whereby I lost in terms conditions eighteen plus.
Speaker 3: With the Lucky Land Slots, you can get lucky just about anywhere.
Speaker 4: It's your captain speaking. We've got clear runway and the weather's five. But we're just gonna circle up here a while and get lucky. Oh no, nothing like that. It's just these cash prizes add up quick, So I suggest you sit back, keep your trade table up right, and start getting lucky.
Speaker 3: Play for free at Lucky Landslots dot com. Are you feeling lucky? No purchase necessary void we're prohibited by law eighteen plus. Terms and conditions apply see website. Ford Task.
Speaker 5: Step into the world of power, loyalty, and luck.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna make him an offer he can't refuse. With family, canoli's and spins mean everything. Now you want to get mixed up in the family business. Introducing the Godfather at Champa Casino dot com.
Speaker 2: Test your luck in the shadowy world at the Godfather slot.
Speaker 4: Someday I will call upon you to do a service for me.
Speaker 5: Play the Godfather now at Champacasino dot com.
Speaker 3: Welcome to the Family vdW group.
Speaker 2: No purchase necessary. I believe we're bribited by loss he terms and conditions eighteen plus.
Speaker 3: With Lucky Land Slots, you can get lucky just about anywhere.
Speaker 5: Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today. Has anyone seen the bride and groom?
Speaker 3: Mari, Sorry we're here.
Speaker 4: We were getting lucky in the limo and we lost track of time.
Speaker 1: No Lucky Land casino with cash prizes that add up quicker than he gets registered.
Speaker 4: In that case, I pronounce you Lucky.
Speaker 3: Thanks for free at Lucky Landslots dot com. Digley Bona, they's a waiting No purchase necessary.
Speaker 4: Board.
Speaker 3: We're prohibited by LACK eighteen plus terms and conditions the playing see website for details.
Speaker 5: Maybe you are now listening to True Murder, The most shocking killers in true crime history and the authors that have written about them. Gasey, Bundy, Dahmer, The Night Stalker BTK. Every week, another fascinating author talking about the most shocking and infamous killers in true crime history. True Murder with your host journalist and author Dan Zupanski, Good Evening.
Speaker 6: On December thirteenth, nineteen thirty four, Albert Fish was apprehended by Detective William King for the kidnapping and murdered of ten year old Grace Bud. Fish's defense attorney obtained the services of doctor Frederick Wordham for Fish's psychiatric examination. Doctor Wordham's files were ordered closed until two thousand and ten. Documents from Wordham's files, including confessions and writings by Albert Fish, are published here for the very first time in history, fully illustrated. Including confessions and other writings, includes never before seen documents handwritten by Albert Fish. Fish's own story of Weird Life, written by Albert Fish for the New York Daily Mere newspaper, from the files of doctor Wurdham, Fish's psychiatric examination and Rorschach test results Masks Have No Ears from doctor Frederick Wordham's book, The Show of Violence also includes court documents, correspondence, Grace Budd and Billy Gaffney, confessions, newspaper excerpts, photographs, and Fish's vile letters. That we're featuring this evening is Albert Fish in his own words, with my special guest, filmmaker and author John Barrowsky. Welcome to the program, and thank you very much for green to this interview. John Barowski, Hi, thanks.
Speaker 2: For having me on. And yeah, I think you know, Fish's case is definitely the most shocking. I mean, obviously these you know, serial killers are all pretty brutal, but to me personally, Fish is the most depraved, deranged and you know, just pretty much the one that would give me nightmares.
Speaker 6: Sure, we're going to find that out in the next hour. All about that from your fascinating book, Albert Fish in his own words. Now, just as the Indian in the introduction, we talked about that doctor Wurdham's files were ordered closed until twenty ten, So since nineteen thirty five till twenty ten, incredible amount of time. Tell us how you became in a position to know about this and why. Again, you've just alluded to why you would want to write this book, But tell us how you became in a position to write this book, and how you knew about the files being released in twenty ten. Tell us a little bit about that.
Speaker 2: Sure, Well, my film on Albert Fish was released be Leave around two thousand and seven, and you know, I had always been fascinated with the case. It was a follow up to my first film on HH. Holmes, America's first serial killer. And once again, after I had made Holmes, you know, no one had made a film on AHH. Holmes, and I was thinking of my second topic, and I heard about Albert Fish, of course, and thought, once again, why didn't anyone make the film up this guy? I mean, it's fascinating. These early true crime stories are extremely fascinating. And that's why when I created my documentary feature films there focusing on pre nineteen forties serial killers, usually because of the lack of forensics, how long they may have gotten away with these crimes. So after I finished the film, which there was a there was research available. While I was making the film, there were books on Fish and other information. And then of course from my film, I had interviewed experts and filmed some location footage of whatever's left since Fish and time period, and I had found out online that I had done researching, of course with doctor Wortham's files, and I had found out online that there were a portion of this files regarding Albert Fish that were sealed until twenty ten. So once twenty ten rolled around, of course I wanted to know what was in these sealed files, and there was a wealth of information. Everything, as you stated in the opening from Fish's Rorshach test, where interestingly enough but not surprising. Everything he basically saw on the ink blots was you know, an ass or a penis or things that he was fascinated by, you know, being into smm man, you know, cannibalizing museum children in the nineteen twenties in New York City. But there were also many other writings. There were confessions that Fish wrote in his own handwriting that I had never read before, and they had never been published. They were a little difficult to read because his handwriting was not easy to read, so I hired a transcriptionist to transcribe all of his letters. So throughout the book, there'll be a letter from Albert Fish and the transcription making it easy for readers to read. But when I published my books on true crime, I do like to release the original files from my research because many authors write books, you know, on serial killers, and they give their own opinion. Some of them even say they're factual and they're true crime books. But some of these books, I've found things that were created, which you know, through my research, I could never find where they found these items that they added to the books. So there I found out that their true crime books weren't one hundred percent true. So that's why again, when you're looking at original case files, you know, I don't think you get you know, more truth than that. Sure, sometimes you know, the confessions maybe lies, but you know, I really don't put many newspaper excerpts in my books because once again, you know, the further back you go, the newspapers are kind of like the National Inquirer, and you really can't put too much research emphasis, you know, on those they were sensational, you know, so and I figured, you know, you know, get these scans of you know, all of these documents and put this book together. So other researchs you know, could have all this material basically in one book without having to go to the Library of Condress or go to all these historical societies, you know, or between twenty and thirty dollars. You've got all this information in the book. And you know, some people may say, well, it's just the true crime case styles, but once again, you know, you can't find any other book that has these materials in there. You have to do research, request materials, paid for copies, and that's pretty expensive. Like my first book on AHH. Holmes and strange case of doctor at Holmes. You know, I had many of those books, you know, scanned, and you know I paid hundreds of dollars, you know, to have all that information, and you know you can't find especially like AH Holmes, some of those books were from you know, the late eighteen hundreds. It's pretty much impossible to actually find a copy of those. And through my diligent research, like for Homes, I had found the actual one of the actual original Homes title casebook and then Holmes' own story throwing two copies in the world that are still in existence, one at the Library of Congress and one at a Toronto library. So you know, again The whole idea is to share my research, you know, after you know I've made films on these serial killers. The last biography I did of a serial killer was Carl pans Ram, and that's going to be my next book, but it's going to focus on his time at Leavenworth because interestingly enough, when you read the only book that's available one only book that's available on Carl pans Ram, which was written by Thomas Gaddis, who also wrote The Birdman of Alcatraz and then Jim Long, when you read that book, the whole second half of the book was based on Robert Stroud's writings on Carl pans Ram. Because Robert Stroud, he wasn't the Birdman of Alcatraz, he was the Birdman of Leavenworth. He had the bird that Levenworth. So already that's not a true crime book, kido. And luckily for the Birdman of Eltcut Trash, Tom Gattis was smart enough to put in the front front of the book that some things were fictionalized. So Robert Stroud was right across the cells directly. He had two cells for all his birds, but he was directly across the cell from Carl pans Ram, so he observed everything and he wrote everything. The writers of the book Killer of Journal of Murder, they did not have access to the federal files which I had access to. So once again, there are reasons why I want to publish a book on pans around that love and Worth, which really won't conflict with their book because their book has all of pans Ram's writings in it. But I want to fill in a lot of that information of what happened at Levenworth, you know, the first federal pen country, and he was the first prisoner executed at a federal pen and pen country. So you know, again, we could go down on for hours on all these issues and there, you know, I'll I'll let you bring it back to the topic.
Speaker 6: Let's let's get to what you did find. And I mean, there is some information that I have read before, but let's talk about the information that is exclusive. And let's get back for those people that don't know about this Albert Fish's troubled life. Take us back to he was born in eighteen seventy in Washington, but you talk about eighteen seventy five, his life becomes very very interesting and tell us about his father's death and the orphanage and the effect of what he did see and experience in that orphanage.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, the orphanage for Albert Fish was you know, kind of like the genesis for the rest the direction for the rest of his life. And I've seen this as I studied serial killers. I'm not a PhD expert. I'm a filmmaker. I did go to film school, but I've researched serial killers and I've also interviewed numerous forensic psychologists and experts on killers. So I do consider myself an expert on you know, serial killers and especially their history and the time they grew up in. And you know, personally, my belief is, you know, these serial killers are mainly created by their environments. You know, there's all these different beliefs of it could be genetic, it could be brain damage, it could be a head injury, you know, you know their triggers. It could be abuse. But you know, the formative years, especially between seven and twelve, when these many of these children see or experience things that could be traumatic, it doesn't necessarily have to be an abuse. But with Fish, it was twofold, so when he was in this orphanage, what they would do is to punish the children. They would strip the children naked, usually male, the male children, they would strip them naked and whip them on their bare behinds and force other children to watch this abuse going down. So through that Fish developed his SNM fantasies, and he even said it himself that at seven years old he had his first sex ceiling because he was turned on by that. He was turned on by watching these kids abused and whipped, and he was turned on when it was you know, given to him as well. So you know, you look at the rest of his entire life, it's no wonder that he's writing women and all these other people desiring for asking them to whip him and maybe he could do the same to them and going as extreme as possible, so, you know, and talking about Carl Panzram in a sense just to not go too far off topic, but you know, he was in a reform school and the same thing kind of happened to him. You know that I found a punishment slip from red wing reform school where he was at, and on that punishment slip it said that he attempted to escape and the punishment was has Sustainking well, he that was his whole life over and over again. He would break out of prisons. He broke into a prison to rescue another prisoner. He got in, but he was caught. He actually broke into a prison. You know, he would break out of these prisons. Then he you know, would be widthed and abused and tortured and electrocuted. And it's the same kind of thing. Pans Ram's whole life is on that one punishment slip. And that was the same thing with Albert Fish. So we see that how trauma and abuse could affect some of these children and maybe not affect others. There. Yeah, I'm sure there are many children we know. We know for a fact, you know, Kyl Panzram had a brother that turned out to be a police officer. You know, some children, don't, you know, go to these extremes, but some have that fagile mentality. And Albert Fish is wanted me.
Speaker 6: So what the thing is, what we passed over is that again this must have some psychological effect. But talk about his father dying at five years old, and then the reason why he's even in an orphanage in the first place seems odd to us looking at this Now why was he put in the orphanage of his mother was working, so why he was not actually an orphan So tell us the circumstances and tell us how long he was in here before he was again reunited with his family. We talked about some of the things he's learned in there, but the very first circumstances, how he got to the orphanage in the first place.
Speaker 2: Yeah, some of his early you know, childhood is unclear to me. You know, I've researched his entire life, but maybe you could fill in some of that because I do remember he was sent to an orphanage and there were some issues with his family, and his family also had a religious you know, psychosis that he actually had as well, so there may be some of this genetic influence on him as well.
Speaker 6: Well. You talk about that there's seven relatives that and I don't know who made this assessment, And again I find it fascinating that this long ago that they were making the psychopathic personality diagnosis. I'm very very surprised by that. But they said that. You say in the book that there was seven relatives including or including fish that either had some noted yesl illness or psychosis or psychopathic personality. You talk about that his father died at five years old, his mother was working but still felt the need to put him in the orphanage. And you say he learned many of the deviations and paraphilias that he was afflicted by, we'll say, for lack of better term, were rooted in his stay at this institution here. When did he, as you write in a book, when did he get out? And what was his behavior like after this?
Speaker 2: Well, you know, the writings in the book are actually like from there from doctor Wortham. You know. The only thing I may have writtain was the foreword, you know, so you know, I know eventually he was released, and you know he did marry and had children and grandchildren, so you know, there there was a period of time where he was obviously on his own, and even when he was with his wife, he had felt restricted where he was, you know, felt he wasn't able to do ultimately all the things that you know he truly wanted to do. And we'll get to that point later as well. But you know, eventually he did marry and supposedly, you know, his family said he never you know, harmed them or spoke you know, a bad word to them. He never swore, never made a hand to them. And you know that also fits in with his duality of serial killers where they can have a family and fool them at the same time they're doing these other devious acts.
Speaker 6: Previous stough to him being married that there was a he does get a run in with the law before that, and you talk about actually being examined a couple of times at hospital, so we'll have to go into when that is. He develops a job though, he has a trade that enables him and I guess enabled him to be able to do some of this, some of the murderous stuff he does and the violence that he does. What's that occupation that he eventually, even for a lifetime, develops this occupation that he undertakes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was a house painter, so you know, he was always traveling, always on the go, and additionally, he always had these empty spaces available to him to potentially bring his victims to do whatever he wanted. So very you know much of this fits in with the m serial killer traveling. He traveled all across the US US. You know, he had these places of opportunity and victims of opportunity. Many times at that time period he said he would target you know, young African American male children because no one cared about them, which is a sad truth.
Speaker 6: You say too, that that all along the way he developed the paraphilia of saddism and masochism, but also that he wanted to inflict pain as he he enjoyed hearing other people's pain, but he also enjoyed pain himself. To that end, we'll talk about the needles. But what did he first begin with simply in terms of inflicting pain on himself? And was there any we talked about his religiosity and the families, was there some connection there with that religiosity.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there was connection. You know. It was known that you know, one or more members of his family had that same type of extreme religious dementia, you know, and that was that may have been passed on to Albert fish where you know, as the years went by, you know, he took the Bible literally, you know, and he associated the you know, a communion with drinking the blood of Jesus and you know, tasting the body with the wafers, you know, and he enacted that in real life, you know, in a sense he thought that he was doing good by murdering these children before they were violated or raped by someone else and sending them straight to heaven. You know, he also associated very strongly with the story of Abraham and I that Abraham would kill his own child, you know, and he had part of the religious dementia. He said he would hear voices, you know, reading quotes from the Bible. He would see Jesus and you know, have these visions where he but toughsy things like you know, dash it's their heads against the stone. And you know, he would take Bible verses and put them in different orders kind of, you know, in a way to create this pattern of you know, almost you know, creating what he really wanted to do. So it was you know, and was he blaming it, We don't know, but I think it's you know, there if you look at his case and all his actions and especially his writings, especially as the Great Spud Letter, when at the end, you know, the last line what now you know, he obviously you know, kidnaps the girl, which you know he says he didn't because they let him take her, but you know, he murders her, cannibalizes her, but he makes sure that the last line of his letter that you wrote to her mother says I did not fuck her, which is very important because that's okay that he didn't do that. But what about murdering and cannibalizing her? You know, that's fine, you know, And again that goes in with you know, the whole sex before marriage and possibly saving this child before she was violated by somebody else, and in his mind it got completely twisted. And that is one of the most extreme things about Elberfish that again differentiates him from other serial killers. He committed all sorts of tortures on his body as penance for killing these children, you know, much like the Philagellons and the days of old who would whip their with themselves on their backs until they were bloody to absolve their sins. He did the same thing, but he took it to huge extremes. You know, his son one time saw him beating himself bloody with a paddle that Albertfish treated himself, where he took this paddle and hammered all these nails into the end of it, and he would beat himself with that bloody. Man, that's nothing compared to the other things that he would do because you know, with at A and M, you know, it's pain is only relative, so they have to keep up in the ante until it's even more extreme. Some of the most extreme things that he did was, according to Albert Fish himself, he would take a rose, you know, a rose, you know, you know, not the head of the rose, but you know the base of the rose. Yeah, yeah, with the thorns on it. And he said he would insert those into his penis with the thorns on those. And then he said he would also take a alcohol soaked gauze piece of gauze, insert it in the venus and light it. He stick needles under his fingernails. Eventually, when he was apprehended, he told the authorities what he would do to himself as penance for killing these children, but they didn't believe him, so they took him to the hospital and took an X ray of his abdomen and twenty nine needles showed up on the X rays. So in his abdomen he was living, you know, as a medical marvel. He didn't die and nothing happened to in his internal organs. But when you look at that X ray, some of these needles are a couple of inches or longer. I mean, you could see the eyes of the needles. It's just, you know, so again this man not only you know, love to hear the tortures and cries of children. That's what he got off on. You know, I don't believe he you know, raped every child. Some of these children he even set himself that, you know, he just wanted to torture them and hear their cries and screams, you know. And you know, you see that with other serial killers, they want to get a reaction from their victim. But that's what's most extreme about elber Fishes. You know, in addition to being the cannibal and the serial killer, he was also you know, into this masochism where he you know, couldn't have enough pain sit on himself.
Speaker 6: Let's talk about the marriage he has, and it seems like you could say, even at the trial, and again we're jumping ahead a little bit, but his daughters even testified. One of his daughters testifies that he was a great father, He was a good family man. They saw none of this violence, there was none directed towards them whatsoever. And so what we need to know is there is a major incident in here, not to say this is resultant in all the rest of this horror that he inflicts on society and everyone and the victims. But what happens in his marriage. He's married to this woman. They have six children. There again, they're not they're struggling. But one day he sees the dog and suspicious about the dog and maybe and then there's an attic in the home. So tell us what this inquisitive Albert Fish does and the dog and his family life with the six children we're talking some small young children and his wife of many years ten years or so.
Speaker 2: What happens?
Speaker 6: This is an incredible scene in your book.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, when he when Albert Fish was with his wife, he had begun, you know, starting some of his senem fantasies. She wasn't really into them that much, so that's when he began putting hands and newspapers to try and get other women to participate in his fantasies, whether it was whipping him or him whipping them. The wife knew what his proclivities were. She knew, and and she just she wasn't into it. It wasn't her thing. So you know, that's how he you know, kind of began, and he may have been doing some of these you know senem fantasies with other people at that time. And you know, he started late in life. You know, many serial killers, you know, by the time there, you know, anywhere between. You know, I've known I'm young as what fourteen to you know, eighteen or in the early twenties, they're committing the serial killer killings. But you know, Fish really didn't start, you know, actual killings until you know, probably his forties and fifties, you know, which is unusual. That's another thing that's unusual about Albert Fish. So since his wife wasn't into these things, you know, Albert Fish goes to the attic, he was led there by the dog, and he finds another man up in the attic and this is the man that his wife has been cheating with him on and she had him in the attic of the house. And Albert Fish, you know, kind of meekly didn't even you know, do much about it, you know. And in the end what happened is his wife, Albert Fish, Albert Fish went with the children and took them to a movie and he came back. He came back home, and everything in the entire apartment was gone, everything, the wife was gone, furniture was gone, clothing was gone. I think he said there was only like a penny in the bathtub, or not even that. He said it was entirely empty. You know. So his wife was sick of everything he was doing. You know, she couldn't deal with it anymore, and she just up and locked the man away with with oping them. And that's Alberd Fish attributes that incident of his wife leaving him and the trauma that he experienced to what he said, you know, his world opened at that point. He was free to do whatever he wanted, which means, you know, even move for further towards his even more stadistic fantasies and not just these esson and play, but you know, moving into murdering and raping young children.
Speaker 6: Now, let's consider many of the stories of the true murder listeners will listen to that there is no bounds to what a killer will do with his own children if he's interested in children. However, you talk about Albert Fish after this the most traumatic event psychiatrically or psychologically in his life, what was the how did he deal with being a father and with no mother what was he really like in that regard to those children. And again as a result you see this one of the daughters testifying at his child trying to save his life.
Speaker 2: So yeah, his children testified that he was a father and a mother to them, that he took care of them, he provided for them, never abused them, never struck them, never raised a hand against them, and never uttered, you know, a foul language at all. But you know again that that plays in with the duality of a serial killer. Now see Albert Fish, most likely he was not on you know, the genius scale, say as H. H. Holmes was. But Albert Fish was a serial killer who was very sneaky and conniving. He was a little bit more of a connat. So I'm sure he was intelligent enough to under stand that if he were to do anything to his children, even if he wanted to, it would all be over. You know, he'd be discovered, and he wanted to continue doing what he was doing. So you know, these serial killers aren't just you know, monsters with you know, green flesh and horns on the head or just mumbling you know fools there. You know, many of them are you know, obviously intelligent enough to you know, be a con man and elber Fish, you know, and especially when he met the grace the Budge family, that's where he brought all his common skills, you know, came to a head. So you know, he he didn't harm his child and any of his children, and he raised them well, you know, I mean they saw strange things, they would say sometimes they you know, he'd want he'd want them to play horsey with him and jump on his back and hit him hard and is behind like he was a horse, you know. And there's a little that stuff too, you know. And his son did say he saw him beating himself with that board with the neil studded boord, but didn't do anything about it. But you know, you're you're talking about you know what early nineteen hundred psychiatries in its infancy. They probably didn't even know where to go, you know. And there was a point, as you mentioned, that Albert Fish was writing these fake checks and you know, and you know he was writing these nasty letters, and you know, he was arrested and he did have some psychiatric you know help, like at belw in some other places, but he was always released, you know, because again I think his con conning nature. He knew what to tell these psychiatrists. Again, maybe not a genius level, but definitely you know, you know, commm. Yeah.
Speaker 6: It's interesting too that it seems by reports that just by the virtue of again, like you say, the age and just the way he looked, that he looked like an innocent, old, harmless man.
Speaker 2: So that's the thing too, you know. Yeah, and you know he was you know, apprehended, you know when you know, he was in his like fifties, early sixties, so he looked like he was about ten or twenty years older. So if you saw Elver Fish standing on the corner, you'd want to help this kind of man across the street. That's what he looked like basically, And that's what the Butt family thought, that he wouldn't be able to harm a fly.
Speaker 6: Before we talk about the Bud family, and I wanted to segue into that what he did was his method of operation was that they would move constantly, because there were reports by these children. Eventually he worked as a painter, and then he had access to people for again a more innocent time of people were less suspicious obviously, and he had this certain look and of course he had six children. And also that's what he told the Bud family too. I listen, I'm a single dad. Again, would seem admirable, I have six children, and then that story. So so he did move around to not arouse suspicion, and when the heat was on, he moved around out of the area.
Speaker 2: Again.
Speaker 6: Tell us about the circumstances of him meeting the Bud family, the girl Grace, and tell us about originally what the plan was and how it came to be that Albert Fish met the Bud family.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you know you're talking about you know, nineteen twenty eight, you know New York decrestion era. You know, times were tough. Overpopulation was rampant. So Albert Fish knew this. So, hoping to find a victim, he placed an ad in the newspaper. In the old days, what would people do. They didn't have Craigslist or you know any of these other you know computer you know platforms to who plays ads on, so they would place an ad in the newspaper. So he did. And I actually found that ad and it's in my film, and you know, it was just you know, he he created a whole fake story. Of course, you know, said he was an elderly man and he owned a farm, and he's got money and he needs, you know, a young man to come out to his farm and help them with things, and he'll gladly pay this young man. So the Bug family was somewhat destitute, poor family. You know, they had, I believe it was three or four children and one of So the Bud family basically responded to this ad because Grace's brother, you know, was kind of this large, strapping, you know, young man, especially for his age, he was kind of large. Well, when Albert Fish arrived at the house or their apartment, actually their little tenement apartment, he saw the brother and realized that he could be overtaken by this kid. There's no way that you know, there's a limit that you know, Albert Fish could you know, strangle children. But you know, this was a big boy that he wouldn't be able to take, you know, basically advantage of us. So while he's there, he realizes that that he makes small talk with the Buds, he flashes cash. He made sure to bring cash to Flash so he could seem as if he was rich and on this firom, which he did. And so he basically calmed them. But then you know what he said, he said, you know what, I'm going to go. I'll come back another day and we could, you know, finish the talks and secure the deal. Because at that time, again he saw this young boy. But while he was there at the first visit, he saw their daughter, Grace Budd, who was ten years old. Now, Grace Budd had a short bob haircut. She kind of looked like a little boy, and so Fish became enamored by her. You know, she sat on his lap, and again he just looked like this kind grandfather that no one would suspect he would do anything or even be able to do anything if he had an opportunity to. So on the second visit, when Albert Fish came back, he had us all planned out. He said, well, you know what, I'm still going to take your son on my farm, but why don't I take your daughter, Grace because my granddaughter is having a birthday party for the kids and it's going to be great. And he told her it was at a certain intersection, and shockingly, the family let this stranger take their daughter away from them. Now, people always ask me, why why would he do Why would that family let him do this. You know, why would they allow the growth go. I think it was desperation because they knew eventually, let this happen, He's got money, He's going to take care of us later. That's how desperate the times were. People don't realize how when we have everything from cell phones and video games, the cars, you know, how bad it really was in early America and how difficult it was to survive. But that's why I think they allowed the daughter to go. There was a little repropoire, you know, with this man. But then guess what, they leave and she doesn't come back, and then they look up the street address that Albert Fish gave them and it didn't even exist. The intersection didn't exist. So that was pretty much it. And then after that there was even a fake trial for another man named Pope, where the mother, Delia Budd you know, said as a witness statement, you know, saw him in a lineup and said that's the man. But it was a wrong man. And that's why you can't rely one hundred percent on witnesses either. So they had this whole trial, only in the end to realize this wasn't Albert Fish, the man who took her daughter. So they still can't find the daughter. But there was tried and true detective work in this case. And that's what I love and fascinates me also about these early cases such as the detective in the home story and this detective, Detective King, that he was trying to find, you know, this little girl for years and years. So his idea came about knowing that you know, this killer would place ads in the newspapers. He said, well, you know, let's and this was about six years later, four or six years later after her abduction, they still never found her. So Detective King said, well, let's put an ad in the newspaper. And Walter Winchell, who was a gossip columnist, you know, in the in the newspaper, so maybe this killer read it. We'll mention something about Grace Budd again, you know. So Albert Fish did read this. So what he did was he was compelled to write a letter and send it to Grace Budd's mother, Delia, describing in detail of when he came to the apartment, how he took their daughter, where he took her, not in specific detail, but they took her out to the country, and that he basically strangled her and took her home and cannibalized her. And he told in detail how he made us stew and baked parts of her body. And this is a letter to her mother. Yeah. So, interestingly enough, here's the tried and true detective work. The envelope that was that the letter was sent in, there was you know, a location, a return address on the envelope. So after tracing that letter head back, they found out that someone was staying in this boarding house that had access to the actual envelopes. And they went and they saw some of these envelopes, and it just happened by circumstance that Detective King went to the owner of this boarding house and said, you know, there was an old man blah blah blah, do you know about this? And then the owner of the boarding house said, oh, yeah, he doesn't live here anymore, but guess what, he's going to be here in a day or two to pick up a check. So Detective King said, call me immediately when he's here, And sure enough he gets a call that Albert Fish is there. He walks in and sees this kind of old man sipping tea like nothing happened, and he apprehends him. You know, there's some different stories about the Elbert Fish put up a struggle or tried to kill himself at that point, but you know, again it's difficult to tell what happened to say, Elbertfish just went, you know, along with the detective kam no problem. So you know, this monster was caught. But then the world was really able to find out about all these horrors you know that this elderly cannibal inflicted because Albert Fish tells them what he did to little Grace Bud and they go up to h was called Osteria. It's upstate New York, and I actually found the house that he murdered her. And still there, the actual house that he murdered Grace Budd in. So he told them to go there, and the detectives went, and sure enough, in an out house, he found the skull of Greape Spud and there were some body parts, and you know, they realized that he was telling the true story. Even though they didn't have any evidence on any other children, that children that you know, he raped and or murdered, they knew there were probably many others, who knows, dozens hundreds because of all his travels We'll never know, but we do know he murdered grape Bud and that's what he was put on trial for and ultimately, you know, executed.
Speaker 6: Let's talk about the media response. You talk about, and this is not the first book that chronicles the sensationalistic media that occurred for the last sixty seven well, I'll probably always occurred. Really, I don't know when it was so ethical, we'll say, but let's put it this way that it was much more the sensation in the publications. What was the media response how far did it reach with this story in nineteen thirty five or after the rest of nineteen thirty four December.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the New York Daily News. You know, there's still somewhat kind of sensationalistic, like they were at that time period. But the New York Daily News, they covered it every day and they even paid fishes fish themself for his own you know autobiography slash confession that I know added to the book as well. But man, every day it was, you know, a cover of were wolves. They called him a werewolf of mysteria because he drank blood, and you know, the cannibal of New York and you know, all these names I mean, it was just and of course, you know, focusing on all the lower details, like you know, in their court room when you know the the children of the buzzs met the children of Fish, you know, and how they embraced each other and cried, and you know, because you know, we don't realize that. Yes, we know that families of the victims suffer, but you know, the families of the murderers suffer too, because you know, they they're finding out that their loved one is now a serial killer. And there is even a wider net that it casts. Recently, I interviewed Barry Vashelley for my TV show Serial Killer Culture TV, and he was John Wayne Gacey's childhood friend, and I had him on camera crying saying that he has PTSD, that why wasn't there anything he could have seen when you know they were friends and he has to live with this fact. So it affects many people, you know, and it was definitely a whole media sensation, you know, the fact that you know, he was into SMM and they found these bile letters that he would write to women. Plus they found you know, everyone's outrage that he was in the system and he was released. You know at least two or three times in mental hospitals and was released. Why did that happen? You know, these things still go on today, of course, but imagine back then how easy it was.
Speaker 6: You talk about too, and this is not unusual as well, is that these incredible serial killers are also affected by other people that they found very, very interesting and fascinating. So you talked about when he was arrested for the bud murder, they found photos of a man named Harmon from Germany. Tell us a little bit about what this Harmon from Germany hand over Germany, what his interests were, and how that certainly seemed to affect Fish.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Fish was obsessed with Fritz Harmon, who was another cannibal. So when Fish read about Fitzarmon Frittarman, that most likely just added more to his fantasies of cannibalism and the desire to find out what it would taste to feel like to taste the flesh of a child. Was it really sweet? Was their ass really the sweetest part of the body. He wanted to do it and he acted upon that. So Frittarman in Germany at that time, which was a difficult time as well, would murder young boys, take pieces of their flesh and cannibalize himself. But he would also sell pieces of their flesh at the market, you know, as as just meet you know. And that's how difficult the times were at that, you know period. When I went through one of the most shocking things I discovered when I went through all of Wortham's file, there was a letter where Wortham wrote to someone else and saying Vish was fascinated by this character HH Holmes. I had no idea that. You don't hear that ever in any other writing. I've never heard that, but it was just to me having done a film on homes, you know. But again, you know, you see some of these serial killers have a fascination and want to be like some of their predecessors BTK. AHH Holmes was a hero to BTK. He wanted to be like him, and you know, and that's why I was part of that investigation into BTK. They subpoenaed my record of everyone in Wichita that bought my HH Holmes DVD, thinking that the BTK killer might have bought one, and you know, yeah, it's you know, it's fascinating. But then there are some of these serial killers that probably live their day to day life and don't know about this whole history of serial killers that it's just you know, an urge that they have to compelling ergs, they have to satisfy.
Speaker 6: Hmmm, well, there may be some, but I find that I think that they I don't think they always admit that their influence. I think they want to be an original. It's like musicians. Yeah, you know, their influencers are on their sleeves, but you don't. They're not going to give that away and they're not going to stay right off the Oh, by the way, you know, I nick this and I think that's true. So everybody wants to be an original, so I think, and I think certainly you can see that. Yet again, it's hard to it's hard to outdo HH Holmes and Albert Fish, but it seems like other people are at least doing it in other ways with numbers rather than.
Speaker 2: Maybe and yeah, and you know what, the further you go back, you know, after Jack the Ripper, and then you know, moving forward in time, you see you can see how each serial killer tried to one up the other. You know, Holmes confessed to whatever twenty six in the end, but then retracted. Then pans Ram said it was twenty one. You know, so around that time period, you know, a couple dozen was about the standard for you to gloat about whether you killed one or none, or you know, ten or a hunter. You know, they would say a couple dozen. But as you could see, you know, as we move forward in time, especially with like Henry Lucas some others and hundreds, now you know, yeah, whether or not we can crew.
Speaker 6: Let's you know, let's talk about doctor Worthham, because really this is the reason why we have all this information is because of this. So let's talk about the fascinating interviews he does with him, the assessments he does for court, and what he finds and what he writes later because as you say, there's a book published that he does a show of violence in nineteen forty nine Double Days, so this is a pretty big release at that time, and this trial was nineteen thirty five. So let's talk about doctor Wurdham and his examinations of Albert Fish and what Albert Fish said, and we talk about you talk about in this book six Confessions, and some of these details are well there's no more graphic detail than this, So tell us about this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh man, they were extremely graphic. But you know, what doctor Wortham did at that time period was sort of the groundbreaking, you know. You look at his study, the study of Peter Curtin in nineteen thirty in Germany. You know, these are the early you know, the early groundwork of future you know, forensic psychology basically of trying to figure out what makes the serial killer. You know, these were the you know, the early predecessors of the mind hunters, you know, which came about in the sixties and seventies. But you know, he had many conversations with Elbert Fish and if it wasn't for doctor Wortham, we may not have known all of these details, you know, because he did publish chapter in the Masks have no years where you know, that's like the most thorough and in depth you know, uh description of what Fish had told uh wordom there and reasons how and why would he did? You know, which were very important, you know, and you know, it's it's fascinating that we have that record. One of the things that you know struck me as amazing is at that time period, you know, they call them perversions, you know, these mental disorders, so doctor Wortham admitted that they actually had to they had to create new perversions for Albert Fish because that's you know, there he I think it was over a dozen, like thirteen or fourteen that when you read my book, there's the list of perversions at the beginning of the book, and that basically shows you he did everything. Drank urine, eight feces, drank blood, you know, sm m. I mean, anything imaginable you could think of, he did it. So they had to create some of those that weren't on the books at that time. Yeah. Yeah, And the biggest thing at all, you know, go ahead, no, go ahead, the you know, the whole myth of the electric chair shorting out, which people still want to believe because it is a cool myth, you know, it's this urban legend that you know, one newspaper may have reported that, and I was never find I was never able to find out which newspaper reported it, but it was said that one newspaper reported that Albert Fish shorted out the electric chair on the first attempt because he had all these needles in his fot. Well, it's just not true, you know. I found the book of the sin scene executioner, who pulled the switch, who wrote in his book nothing unusual happened. It was over a matter of minutes. You know, I interviewed an expert at the University of Wisconsin Electrical Department that would say, you know, the needles wouldn't have done anything. But yet people still want to believe it. They still post these things on the internet. And then any time I try to tell them the truth, they don't believe me. They don't want to hear the truth because it's such an interesting urban ment. So I just believe it.
Speaker 6: Be you talk about that there's that doctor Wurdham basically recognizes and determines and concludes that this is Grace Budd is not the only murder and cannibalistic event that he has participated in. And you also talk about in your book that they think that he's attacked at least one hundred children and he and at least he can he was convinced that there was more than that. There certainly was more than Grace Budd killed. Uh, tell us yea more about doctor Wurthham's conclusions and then and then tell us again, which is really he was hired by the defense. So tell us how in his estimation, why in his estimation that he's legally insane tell us about that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you know, I mean we won't We'll never know, you know. And that's why I'm glad I found some more of these confessions in the files that were sealed Hill twenty ten, because you know, we had heard some of the Fish's confessions, but there are even more in here that I had never heard about prior to seeing these, you know, documents that were released after twenty ten, you know. And doctor Wortham said it was apparent, you know, that Albert Fish was insane, you know, by between the voice is that he heard the visions that he had, you know, which were both religious, you know, you know, in texture to the fact of all these perversions that he did, that he has to be insane. Sure, he could function on a day to day basis, but doctor Wortham said he was insane, you know. And he was found guilty and sentenced to be executed basically for revenge, you know, and that's a problem our society still has that you know, society wants you know, Tom de Flesh, you know, as revenge, and that's what we did with Albert Fish. We executed him when we should have put him in an insane asylum. And you know, the one interesting quote is from Fish's attorney, James Dempsey, where he said this, you know, ruling proves that, you know, witches are still burned in America. Basically that he was a target and he was found to be sane just so he could be executed or revenge of society for what he did to this little girl. And I mean, I understand the outrage, you know, I mean, I understand that, But on the other coin, the other side of the coin, I think there might be something to learn from these people. And I feel as a society, how can we advance if we don't study them to try and figure out why they're doing these things.
Speaker 6: The sensationalistic wanting a pound of flesh. Media though, was what was their consensus about his sense?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, well I think they also. I think they were trying to, you know, prove the fact that he was saying by you know, looking at the other side of the coin, by saying, well, you know, he obviously went to the Buds with this intention of kidnapping your daughter. It was pre planned, it was pre motivated, you know, So you know, that's always this this question of you know, sanity versus insanity, intent versus you know, is it just a crime of passion? Did you know a husband find out his wife's cheating and he hits her over the head and murders her. That's something different. So you know, when it gets, you know, into all these legalities, that's where it gets, you know, pretty complicated. And they, you know, they the newspapers, I believe, were trying to prove that point that you know, these were premeditated murders. And even though he had all these different snem fantasies and proclivities, he was still you know, a set mind of right mind that he you know, could get up, you could call himself. He knew what he was doing. He made these decisions consciously, and he should be executed. So there's always those two sides of the coin, and we still deal with that today. You know, that was Dahmer. You know, could he have been putting in the sane hospital or a prison, you know, that's the that's the thing. And interestingly enough, he's put in the prison where he's murdered.
Speaker 6: So the thing is, though, I understand, what if you set the standard at whether the defendant knows the difference between right and wrong. Then it's a high standard to overcome. Yes, it's hard to you know, hard to disprove that, to say well yeah, or to prove yeah, he didn't know right from wrong. When you see premeditation, you see planning, deliberation, and then trying to conceal their whereabouts and other such things. So that's the standard, because they do fear that it's a slippery slope that everybody can be considered, because you know, it's very interesting at this time in nineteen thirty five, and listen, I find fascinating is that despite the family saying, look at this guy was normal, he was a good father, and then he had this very very traumatic event with the mother leaving, taking all the furniture, moving out, with the border, leaving the young chure destitute. That this certainly would have been taken into consideration a mitigating factor, you know, But what they were also doing is that what I found fascinating, Doctor Wordam. Even though he had Fish's own confessions of prior murderous behavior. He talked about one time where he would have killed the child, but there was too many cars going by, so he really didn't get an opportunity with doctor Wurdham's conclusion that he certainly killed more people than Grace Budd and he certainly it was easy for him to conclude that there were maybe one hundred children attacked. And yet he still was in his book, in his writings, in his defense on the stand adamant that he was legally insane. I find that very very interesting, and also that he's saying that again, twenty five percent he said of the population was psychopathic in his mind, which I thought that blew my mind. Did somebody be talking about that in nineteen thirty five. That sounds like a pretty new concept.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly. You know, I think he was definitely a forward thinker. You know, it was it. But again, you know we're talking about those infancies too, of the right and wrong, and you know, the serial killers, the infancies of serial killers. You know, really the world. Of course, serial killers existed before Jack the Ripper, but the world was introduced to them through the mass media of newspapers and then television, so you know, we didn't even know what these types of people were at the society. You know, we had seen them probably more and you know, on the frontier and things like that. But becoming a civilized society and then seeing there were these some people that could murder over and over again. I think people didn't know what to make of it. And these were these were the inceptions, the beginnings of the psychology, and you know, the law enforcement aspect and the legalities of dealing with these type of people would say, you know, it's fascinating. That's why I enjoyed these early cases because every angle you look at them, historical, forensic psychology, it's just fascinating. And a lot of these early criminals got away with it for much longer, you know, than you know, some of our modern ones, because of course video cameras, lack of DNA and prinsic you know, even finger printing, you know, was in its infancy.
Speaker 6: It's interesting too, when he talks about that part of his time on the stand, he said, listen, I just previously two months of this made out one hundred and sixty commitment papers for more than one hundred and sixty patients without any court hearing, he said, And he said many of them, he said, not as sick as Albertfish, and none of them as dangerous. Just to demonstrate he said that that Albertfish somehow had slipped through the net again to say, again, I'm surprised that there was that he thought there was that much of a safety net in psychiatry and in hospitals that time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you know, and that's the thing too, you know, elber Fish's cunning nature was obvious in that he could fool these psychiatrists to release them obviously, you know, because he knew what to say. So I think, you know, his cunning nature should have should have probably alone overridden fact. I mean, plus he could tell right mong but that should have overridden the fact that he had these essenm fantasies and you know, these other things that he was doing, you know, and he may have used the you know, and that's the thing too. In the end, we never know if these people are telling the truth. You know, when he was arrested, he could have made up the fact that he saw, you know, Jesus coming to him and he heard these things. You know, we don't know, you know, we don't know. It's they're very fascinating stories and you know, early glimpses into the mind of serial killers, you know. And of course Frederick Worthim went on to be hated by comic book lovers because he went on a whole high rade against the vault of horror entails from the crypt comic books, saying, these are diseasing the mind of our children and corrupting them. And you know, he caused those comic books basically to fold, so he became the poster boy. He eventually later he did apologize before his death, but people still, you know, have a lot of distaste for him. But you know, and that's another thing too. You know, we we even go through that now with these shooters and saying, wow, they're still doing it as these violent video games, these violent movies. But you know, studying Jesse Pomeroy, who is the subject of my next film. You know, in eighteen seventy four, he was fourteen when he murdered two little children. So what are you going to blame it on in eighteen seventy four. You can't blame it on radio, TV, movies, video games. But they blamed it on the dying novels. There's always got to be something those violent dying novels, you know, So again I think we got to start blaming it and looking at studying these people.
Speaker 6: You talk about doctor Wordham too, saying that when he was asked how many children he thought Albert Fish killed, he said, well, he said at least five, he said, one of the detectives said eight, at least And a judge of the Supreme Court who had been present when doctor Wurdham testified, said he had been informed that Fish was implicated in fifteen child murders.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, what do you think and yeah, something like Hja Tolms. Will never know. With Fish, I think it could have easily been several dozen children, easily minimum. But we'll never know. We do know the Belly Gaffney story, the story of you know, these two children, one of them was Billy Gaffney, and I filmed actually inside the same tenement building that they lived, and they were on the top floor and they were playing on the top floor, and the mother came out from the apartment. And you know, over Fish was the original stranger danger. There wasn't that type of thing in the nineteen twenty. It's in early New York. You know, these kids would play on the street, parents would be in their house or who knows where, the kids would just be doing their own thing. I mean, these were little children, you know, So the mother comes out of the apartment and he's one of the kids, her child but not the other one. Says, well, where's Billy Gaffney. And then the little boy pointed up to the fire escape leading to the roof and said, the Boogeyman took him. So Albert Fish was really the original Boogeyman as well. And I was in that tenement apartment hallway and saw that fire escape. It's in my film that he took him out of. Now, again, we can't prove that that. Albert Fish says that he took the boy and he took him to a secluded place by the breakers dump and started cutting parts of his body off, and you know all these things. So you know, just looking at that and the murder of cannibalism of Grace Bud, you could see how much more he could have done. And I would say minimum doesn't We'll just never know.
Speaker 6: Yeah, absolutely, you talk about the family was there when we have five of Fish's children, two daughters and three sons. There are also a few other people were also present, and the defense pleaded for commutation of the death sentence and confinement to a state institution for the criminally insane. But it's fascinating that all of those children, Again, it doesn't always happen. We're supportive, regardless of the world thinking that their father was a monster. They didn't back away from supporting them. And at that trial did they No.
Speaker 2: No. And it's interesting too. You know, sometimes families will turn their back, they may change their names, they may move away because they don't want to be associated with it, they don't want the bad press coverage, they just don't want to deal with it. Or you have some that will live in denial too. I mean, you know, whether or not Fish's children actually admitted and felt he did those things was one thing, you know. But you take the case of the guy that was in Indiana, Yeah, the Fox Hollow farm. I always forget his name, Herb Boummeister. Now you know Herb Baummeister. I think it was in the seventies or eighties. He was married and had children, and then he had a home called Fox Hollow in the country in Indiana, and he would go to gay bars, pick up young gay men, take them back to Foxhowe and strangle them, burger them and wind up throwing you know, their body parts, you know, in the woods behind it, and eventually that led to his apprehension because his children went out there and found these skulls and bones, and that's when the police were called. And you know, he took off and he ultimately, you know, committed suicide. So they never really found out exactly what happened. But to this day, his wife and children still say he didn't do those things. Not my husband, not our father. There's no way, even though there were all the evidence was there, the skulls, the bones. So it's very interesting, you know, I mean, and that's one thing too, you know, you know how far does your love go? And you see in many of these cases too that you know, the parents or siblings, you know, they will stand byther side. I mean, that happened with Jesse Palmroy too. His mother was there and she tried to get him, you know, released or or you know, released from solitary at least, and she wrote letters and did whatever she could. It was probably her fault that he murdered the two little children, because she pleaded with the reform school to let them out early. They did, and of course at that time they didn't alert the authorities that he was released. So many he murdered two little children because the authorities thought he was still in reform school. Yeah.
Speaker 6: Well, you know I wanted to mention too before we go, is that I wanted to tell the audience too that do you have I love black and white photos, and you have some amazing black and white photos in here in your book and incredible source documents. Again, we talked about that at the beginning, how important that is, and I think that is important that people can see the actual document. These are source documents and letters Albert Fish, his handwriting, and again amazing black and white photos of everything, including even the electric chair. It is very, very a great edition. So I want to thank you very much for that. I also want to thank you very much for coming on and talking about Albert Fish in his own words. We talked. I mentioned that you're a filmmaker, and you did talk about a couple of films and other two prime books, and you deal with just the most serious of these serial killers with your films and with your books. For those people that might want to take a look at your other work, to have a website, Facebook page, how can they take a look at some of the other stuff. We just hinted that today.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm pretty much all over the internet. My web page is just my name my website Joonborowski dot com. But if you even go to say Amazon Prime, all of my work is on there, as far as film and TV shows, So there's HJ. Holmes, Albert Fish, Carl panz Ram serial Killer Culture, which examines the contemporary culture of collectors and museums and artists and musicians fascinated by serial killers and why they are. And then I took that concept and created a TV show which is on Amazon Prime, serial Killer Culture TV, which is episodic, so each episode, the second season is coming out hopefully in a couple of weeks. I'm still working with Amazon to get that up, but then it will be twelve episodes. You know, each episode's focuses on, you know, like one is Gacy's Brain, another one is Peter Curtain's head at the Ripley's Museum in Wisconsin. So all fascinating topics. And then my books are on Amazon as well, the Albert Fish, ed Gen Dahmer's Confession, and the Strange Case of ah Tolms.
Speaker 6: Yeah, fascinating stuff. Very nice to speak with you, Thank you very much. John Vosky for this interview and congratulations on this amazing book. Albert Fish, in his own words, thank you very much. You have a great evening.
Speaker 2: Thank you having me on. Take care, good night,