Speaker 1: I've heard people say getting atheists together is like herting cats, or if you've got three atheists in a room, you've got four opinions on something. You just can't get free thinkers to organize. Well, I think that's crap. Not only not only can atheists organize, but we have to now more than ever. We need to come together to build thriving, diverse, and functioning communities. And for that we need good leaders to get that, we need classes that teach us how to lead. So good news, our guest today is going to tell us how we can do this and how you can help build the next generation of secular leaders. But hey, if you think atheist community is a bad idea, give us a call because the show's starting right now.
Speaker 2: Whooh, what is up?
Speaker 1: Everybody? Thank you, thank you so much for joining us. Today is April fifth, twenty twenty s and that's right. I am your host, the Secular Jesus Christ. I appreciate all of you for joining us today. I have spent the last few days fighting my way out of both a linen cloth that I do hope my followers will find in the future and know of my presence, as well as.
Speaker 2: Rolling a very large boulder out of the way.
Speaker 1: So I'm very proud that I have I have come back to you this this second time, and I just want to say that.
Speaker 2: All of your sins are forgiven on this holiest of days.
Speaker 1: So thank you so much, folks for joining with us today. I'm really really excited that we are going to have a fun show. And not only are we we doing this on YouTube, but we're actually try streaming, is what I have been told. Now I am not hip enough to know exactly what that means, but that tells me that we are on TikTok YouTube mobile and just your regular horizontal YouTube show. So we will actually be checking on TikTok. And if you'd like to talk to us, just request to join and we'll bring you up on stage. Just make sure that you are eighteen years of age before doing so. Worth noting that this wonderful show, The Atheist Experience, is a product of the Atheist Community of Austin, a five to one c three nonprofit organization dedicated to the promotion of atheism, critical thinking, secular humanism, and the separation of religion and government. I think all of those things are absolutely freaking wonderful. And I'm wondering if we could, if we could get our awesome, awesome backup host up here. Today, we have somebody super cool with me, somebody that I have never made fun of on this show or any others whatsoever.
Speaker 2: It is Sophia, what's up? Hello?
Speaker 3: I mean you, I guess you better not make fun of me behind my back. You do, please do it to my face so that I can also enjoy.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, that's really what it is, you know. And that's what friends do. Friends tell each other to their faces. Hey, please stop that, man, it's really annoying. Nobody enjoys this, by the way, and like, and you know, not to like anybody in particular Kevin, but just throwing this out there, okay, Like when you grill stuff a lot of times.
Speaker 2: Like you, you like, don't season it a bunch, you know.
Speaker 1: And and all that we're asking is when we come over on Thursdays for the monthly thing, if you could just maybe just let us just let us do it once, you know, Like I know how to grill, A lot of us know how to cook.
Speaker 4: I just.
Speaker 2: No one in particular.
Speaker 3: You know, Kevin is the most generic white dude name I can think of and so it's just like some generic white dude isn't seasoning grilled meat?
Speaker 5: That's a shot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know, who would thought the.
Speaker 5: Number of pevens that that applied to.
Speaker 2: So many people feel called out right now.
Speaker 5: It's really going to think you are Jesus I that you.
Speaker 2: I prophesy, that's right, Yeah, I am here.
Speaker 5: For it prophecy or just an observation of the thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's probably just like just an accurate description of the world that we live in, you know, fortunately or unfortunately. But the good news is that we we are not here to to cook, we are not here to to grill. We well, I mean, maybe we'll grill a little, you know, if they're if they've got bad, bad ideas or bad arguments, maybe we'll grill a little.
Speaker 5: So, and don't the cool kids say like cooking, like that's.
Speaker 3: A good thing, like cooking or yeah, cooking or both slaying.
Speaker 2: Yeah they're both. Yeah, cooked and cooking right are both.
Speaker 1: They're they're the terminologies that the young ends are using. Is that does that already make me even older than I am? Just by saying the young ens old?
Speaker 5: Yeah, old, I believe so you are an olden an.
Speaker 1: Olden but a good that's an okay.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I feel like I'm you know, ah, I was just gonna say. The crew is like just furiously shaking their heads right now.
Speaker 5: It's just very disappointed with us. It's not why people tune into the show, you know what.
Speaker 2: That's okay, that's all right.
Speaker 1: There is a reason that people tune into this show though, and one of those reasons is because we get some calls from people who have arguments for you know, the existence of a God or the supernatural things, and we are open to having our minds changed. I am willing to change my position if if I am presented with some good stuff. And of all days, of all days, I think this is is a good day for us to get some arguments for the existence of God.
Speaker 2: What do you think?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think that's a great idea.
Speaker 3: I mean, if you're gonna be saved, why not on Zombie Jesus Chocolate Day.
Speaker 5: I'm sorry.
Speaker 3: I know we're supposed to really own that, like Easter is an atheist pagan thing, but I just think Zombie Jesus Chocolate Day is cute.
Speaker 1: I Like, I really enjoy that, and I wish they would do chocolate Easter bunnies and like Jesus Easter chocolate things, you know, like that would be super fun.
Speaker 2: You know, just imagine a little almost statue of Jesus like that. But all time have you.
Speaker 3: Seen those little like I see them everywhere now, these little plastic Jesus is.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I've got one somewhere on my desk actually there where.
Speaker 5: I've seen them, in a public toilet, I've seen them. Like, at some point, this has.
Speaker 3: Gotta feel sacrilegious, right, this has gotta feel weird to the people who are holding on to it.
Speaker 1: So okay, so since you brought it up, I will throw this out there. I feel like at some point in the Bible, and I don't remember where entirely, but there was like a like a list of like seven eight nine something like that, like what I guess, like commands I guess if you would, And one of those specifically was something about like graven images or idols or I think that.
Speaker 3: I'm sure it doesn't apply to you know, evangelicals putting you know, non biodegradable bits into also plastic Easter eggs that are probably made in you know, shops around the world that are inhumane in their labor practices.
Speaker 5: I'm sure no, I'm.
Speaker 1: Sure there's nothing about that practice at all that that in any way, shape or form could be viewed as anti biblical or yeah, yeah, and.
Speaker 3: Hey, you know what is worse the I was sorry, so many things went through my head that became so potentially problematic to say on air. But I was just gonna sort of generally vaguely gesture toward the uh, toward the left. They're bad, They're worse anyway, no matter, no matter what is done.
Speaker 2: But yes, yes it is true.
Speaker 3: But insert there all the inappropriate things I.
Speaker 5: Could have said. That you right, thinking, if you're a listener, yeah.
Speaker 2: Right, right right, absolutely, absolutely.
Speaker 1: Well, we do have some wonderful, wonderful calls that are already coming in, and I am very excited to go to.
Speaker 2: Some of these.
Speaker 1: What if we grab a call real quick and then we will bring on our awesome special guest and talk about some cool things that we can do to get secular leadership going.
Speaker 2: What do you think? Sofia, Sure sounds great.
Speaker 5: I'm happy to stay here for the first call.
Speaker 2: Let's do it. I want to take a call with you because I think this one will be fun.
Speaker 5: We are gonna go all together.
Speaker 2: I know, right, this is a big deal. This is like, this is you know, one year from now, we'll remember this.
Speaker 1: We have Steve in Ohio no pronouns given, as a theist and wants to talk about some biblical prophecies.
Speaker 2: I'm into it.
Speaker 1: Steve, you are on the atheist experience with Sophia and secularity.
Speaker 2: What's up?
Speaker 6: Thank you, Thank you for having me on the show. I appreciate that. Yeah, I was the current events for everything going on, and I figured i'd give you a call and give you my insight. So yeah, I don't know, Okay, yeah you know, Daniel, chapter eight, I've been looking eyeballing that story for a long time, like thirty thirty years, thirty plus. So I got kind of stuck on it because as it was about, I thought our country. But anyways, yeah, so that's where where we're at. So I don't know where we're going to. I know a lot about it, so I don't know where to go from here. So it's Daniel, great, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no worries, that's already that's already a decent a decent spot. And so like let me, let me just let me just see if I if I'm following with you here, it sounds like what you're saying is like this passage in the Bible is kind of referencing some of the things that we're seeing going on today in the world and in the Middle East, And yeah, absolutely is is is it? Is there ever really a time in the history of humanity where we couldn't make that connection, like like, let's say, like one hundred and fifty years ago, Like, do you think it would be fair that somebody one hundred and fifty years ago could look at that passage and then go, wow, the stuff that's happening right now in the Middle East?
Speaker 6: No, Like, no, really, that flies there's a flying goat that goes across the whole earth that says in the story it's to be two spirit and it goes over there and attacks the ram and then it returns without over touching the ground.
Speaker 1: Second, hang on just a second for me, Okay, I just want to make sure we're on the I just want to try to be on the same page as most as much as possible. So I'm sorry, I don't I don't want to fight or anything but clarify.
Speaker 6: It's something wrong. You could tell me what you need.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, no, no, no, no, I just I just want to understand. Like when you say there's like a goat flying and it attacks a ram, are you talking about like actual animals? Like, is there an actual goat that's flying?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I am actually talking about a flying goat. It's in Daniel chapter eight. It talks about a goat that crosses the whole this is out touching the ground. It's in verse five.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 6: And and and it's a king too. It's our first king, it says. And that was interesting that he said that.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, hang on, hang on, hang on, just real quick, Steve.
Speaker 1: I want to make I want to I want to make sure we're on the same page again. I get that you're I get that what you're referencing is talking about a goat that flies. And I'm asking you do you think that goats can fly? And do you think one is currently doing that towards the Middle East?
Speaker 7: Absolute?
Speaker 1: And so so hang on, no, hold on, hold right there, that's a beautiful, beautiful place.
Speaker 2: That's a beautiful spot. Just to just to pause, Sophia, is there anything.
Speaker 7: That statement that.
Speaker 2: That you think is kind of off?
Speaker 1: Is there anything about that statement, Sofia, you're a little confused about that.
Speaker 5: They're that a literal goat is flying through the sky, and.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, well just a second ago you said you thought it's could fly and there was one fly.
Speaker 6: No, I'm saying no, no, I'm saying, well, I'm sorry, symbolic it's the flying true spirit, is what I was saying. I did say that.
Speaker 2: Okay, it's okay, Okay.
Speaker 6: It's even got the face on it. If you look at the face, it's got eyes, mouth, nose. Now, it's okay.
Speaker 2: Hang on, hang on, hang on, hang on, hang on.
Speaker 1: Okay, just to be clear, Just to be clear, you're not saying that the actual animal a goat, that thing with like the hair and the ba and the and the hoofs and the horns.
Speaker 2: You're not saying that's flying.
Speaker 1: What you're saying is that is referencing a plane that the United States is currently sending over to the Middle East.
Speaker 6: Yes, they even Why would hang the name.
Speaker 2: Hang on, hang on, hang on. I'm with you, Steve. We don't have to.
Speaker 1: We can go one at a time. Why do you make that connection? What about that passage that makes you makes you think it's referencing this thing.
Speaker 6: Now, okay, because the story in verse seventeen and nineteen says it's time of the end. Okay, So we're at the end of the age right now. That's number one.
Speaker 2: And the question according yeah, what what age are we ending? And according to what?
Speaker 6: Well, according to the story here, we're at the end of the age, it says. Okay. And just one other thing is that word fury is in verse six and that's epic to me. Okay, it's we're attacking them right now.
Speaker 3: And okay, but it came to a two horned ram. What is the two horned ram that the one horn is attacking?
Speaker 7: It's a needing okay.
Speaker 6: So you're thinking the supreme leader in the present go ahead, okay.
Speaker 3: So you're thinking that the two horned ram is Iran?
Speaker 5: Is that what I'm gathering here?
Speaker 6: And Multipower say all this, Actually you asked me questions, so I don't know what you want me. You know, yes, you're right there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're not talking about specific political parties.
Speaker 8: Are you saying?
Speaker 3: This is just resented that a country exists in the world. I appreciate your caution though, okay. And the ram is parerless stand against it. So it does seem like but then the goat became very great.
Speaker 5: At the head of its paradolage horn was broken off.
Speaker 3: Yes, and in its place, four prominent horns grew up toward the four winds of heaven.
Speaker 5: Yes, is it four planes? Is it like?
Speaker 6: No? No, that that the goat. Okay, go ahead, I'm sorry, I didn't I didn't know. I think you're asking me to go ahead.
Speaker 3: No, just like, connect these for me, because because you're mentioning, there's rage. And then we skip down to verse seventeen. So like some of the stuff in the middle, though, it gets a little little, a little crazy.
Speaker 5: So yeah, connect these things from me.
Speaker 6: Okay, I'll try my best. It is he has a vision and the angel on the second half of the story clears it up for him, basically tells them where all the symbols were. So it is a little more complicated than your average story, but it comes because it comes in two parts, which you can see it would be verse The one that we're in right now is verse six and seven. We're attacking them right now, is great this moment, and verse eight is what I'm worried about. That's comes after this, we win the war and then verse eight is next, and that's the Goat's very great and when he was stronger, the great horn was broken and four came up for it. So basically, our kingdom gets broken up, much like Alexander the Great. We're repeating time in the sense, I guess.
Speaker 2: I guess.
Speaker 5: So it could have applied to Alexander the Great.
Speaker 2: Oh good question.
Speaker 6: Well, yeah, it's time to the end though, yeah, the good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, why why did you do you think that this applied to Alexander the Great?
Speaker 6: The scholars throughout the years always said that, but it is time of the end. It says twice actually, and it makes it very clear. But they said, you know, for years it's Alexander the Great and we are Alexander is much like us. We're the modern Greece. Okay, we're from the west on the Western hemisphere from the time.
Speaker 1: Just a second, hang on, just second. I'm sorry, Steve, I just I just love to I love to try to keep these as focused as possible.
Speaker 2: You know, yes, no problem.
Speaker 1: The problem that I have is that I am familiar with this passage.
Speaker 2: I'm familiar with this.
Speaker 1: Whole scene here and Daniel, but The reason that I'm familiar with it is because when I was growing up, the United States and other countries engaged in various military operations in Iraq.
Speaker 6: I watched it ahead of it.
Speaker 2: And so I was told that this applied to that.
Speaker 1: So are those people wrong, and if they are, why are you irrect?
Speaker 6: Well, okay, I watched all the wars. I'm sixty two, so I saw it from ninety one on through two thousand and three. I saw it all, and I wondered about the same thing at the time. Okay, but I do keep patient. I just moll things over until I get the answer. And I got the answers now. But yeah, I know what you're saying. It can be like, well is that Iraq? What do we do the same thing? We did something similar. The difference is we went over the Atlantic this way. We came from the West before we went the other way over the Pacific when we attacked Iraq, wouldn't be two spirit.
Speaker 1: Just just to be clear, are you saying that the main reason that you believe this passage in Daniel refers to the current situation we're experiencing in the world, and not earlier times like in two thousand and four, two thousand and three, whatever is because we came from a different direction.
Speaker 2: Do you really believe that that.
Speaker 1: Is something that is a valuable piece of information for determining the truth of this prophecy?
Speaker 6: Alexa said, Alexa, I'm sorry it says Persa though a person we know is in Iraq.
Speaker 5: We know that, and Greece, so we're not saying that.
Speaker 3: So we're saying that we are the Kingdom of Greece, but it's saying it's Persia, and we're holding on to Persia and saying that that's literally Persia, but we're not literally Greece Greece.
Speaker 6: So it kind of feels like it's twenty five hundred years ago. He didn't say it was a man. I mean, he couldn't have said that. It would be you know, you know.
Speaker 7: That why not he?
Speaker 2: But God was inspiring us?
Speaker 3: And why not Kazakhstan? Why not any other country? For we've attacked lots of other countries. Yeah, but I'm saying that, like we, they also would not have had knowledge of that. So for saying Greece can be America, then I guess Persia could also be Mongolia, it could be Ethiopia, could be whatever other place the author didn't know of at the time.
Speaker 6: You know, in front of you, this is going on right now.
Speaker 1: Do you think it's possible. It's it's a really basic question. It's a really basic question, just a yes or no. Do you think it's possible that you're mistaken?
Speaker 7: Steve?
Speaker 1: No, and I would lay anything about Okay, hang on it cool, then I can I can just mute you for a second so I can say this, which is I tend to as as a knee jerk reaction. When somebody tells me they are one, one hundred percent confident they can't be mistaken, I tend to not believe them right now. That's not a fantastic methodology on my part, but the history of the world has showed me anytime somebody makes that bold of a claim that they could not absolutely could not be mistaken, I can find a billion frickin' examples really quick when they're just wrong. And so I think unless you have something a bit more concrete other than I just kind of feel like this, I'm gonna move on to somebody else because I think we do have some other people that might be able to present some things, But so far I don't know why I should listen to you more than I should the people that I didn't listen to back in the early two thousands, and also, by the way, didn't listen to any of the people talking about all this stuff through the Crusades and just all the way back through human history. So yeah, I don't know, Steve, gonna bring you back on. I don't have high hopes. I would love if when I bring you back on, there's going to be a beep and after that beep. I would love if you could say, look, here is a really solid piece of evidence that shows that that passage in Daniel was connected to today. Okay, that that would be just awesome for me. So I'm gonna pull you back in. It should beep alittle. But what what is the most convincing thing, the most convincing thing that connects this passage in Daniel to today?
Speaker 6: Okay to today? See you the lamb eighty eight. God's hiding it right in front of you. Know who Cede Lamb is. It's number eighty eight. Back to the future they go at eighty eight, they vanished. There's a lot more to this than you think.
Speaker 1: Everything's converted talking about Ceedee Lamb, the football receiver.
Speaker 6: You're talking about. It's right, yeah, eighty eight. Yep.
Speaker 2: Do you know why he is eighty eight?
Speaker 5: You what?
Speaker 6: Do you know?
Speaker 2: What?
Speaker 6: What's up?
Speaker 2: Do you know why his number is eighty eight?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Actually I do. I haven't written right here, Ceedee Lamb, where's number eighty eight? To honor the legacy of past cowboy grace like Drew Pearson, Michael Irvin so on. He wanted number ten though.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but even he admitted it. It has nothing to do with the thing you're claiming it does.
Speaker 6: I'm just saying it's hide in plain sight.
Speaker 8: And also, but I'm.
Speaker 1: Just saying that you're just saying you're just making that up, Steve, And you know that you just admitted that you know this. You just admitted right there that you know that that's not true. Come on, man, you're better than this, Steve.
Speaker 2: I know you are. Man.
Speaker 6: Okay, one last thing, one last thing, okay, l after the war is done here we win this thing. We have number eighty eight. Our great horn will be broken. That is the Washington National Monument. It's going to be taken off. Now one stone will lay upon another that will not be thrown down.
Speaker 7: Even in the.
Speaker 3: Passage you're bringing up, the horn doesn't represent a little horn. It represents the four nations that become. So like we're really playing fast and loose with the literal and the figurative. And you know what, I've been sitting here, I think that this is actually referring to Queen Elizabeth the first breaking of the Spanish Armada.
Speaker 2: That may applies.
Speaker 3: Really well because then the you know, then the United king United Kingdom or the British Empire ended up breaking up after it, you know, rained from that.
Speaker 5: So you know, I actually think it's that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And there's good in verse eleven two, by the way, I'm sure you know this, Steve. It says it set itself up to be as great as the commander of the army of the Lord. It took away the daily sacrifice from the Lord, and his sanctuary was thrown down. Now that relates perfectly to everything Sophia just said with Queen Elizabeth.
Speaker 2: I mean, how can you disagree with that.
Speaker 6: It's a rise of the Antichrist. It comes after Ada, our nation gets broken, and then all hell breaks loose in this four on.
Speaker 1: Steve, I appreciate you because I had a fun time with that. I don't feel like we made much progress, which is why I got you muted right now, and I'm just gonna let you go.
Speaker 2: But here's good news. I love something tangible.
Speaker 1: It sounded to me like you said, the Washington Monument is gonna frick and topple.
Speaker 2: That is a testable future prediction.
Speaker 7: Baby.
Speaker 2: That is brand h brand new.
Speaker 1: And you know what, Steve, I look forward to your call at the end of twenty twenty six, when either it has or has not happened. Until then, though, see if you can find some more good reasons to connect biblical prophecy. I am not convinced by that, guys, I don't know about you.
Speaker 5: I am not either.
Speaker 3: I came up with a bunch of different examples too. I was like, honestly, this could refer to any colonial power, Like I was just it was sort of fun to just be like, what could this right?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: Or maybe it actually has to do with On the Hills when Laura, when there's like that drama between the two main leads on the Hills and it's just like you know, reality TV and the mid Odds was crazy, So there's a lot of like breaking up into different you know, casts and groups.
Speaker 1: It just actually, oh my god, we should we should see if we could connect biblical prophecies to different reality TV shows and stuff.
Speaker 2: That would actually be right.
Speaker 5: Oh, I could do that in a heartbeat.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean maybe that's what I should do for the twenty four fundraise. I would be that would That's what I'm gonna do.
Speaker 2: Here's here's what I'm thinking.
Speaker 1: If if you're cool with it, Sophia, I am going to talk to doctor Daryl Ray about this awesome new thing he's got going, and you can start working on that in the background, and we'll pull you on when we need some more help.
Speaker 2: With calls afect. You are awesome.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much, and I am thrilled because I am here with the legend himself, Doctor Daryl Ray.
Speaker 2: Hey man, what is up?
Speaker 7: Well? What is up? As you're trying to ussert my position in the universe. I am the high Priest of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, and you have tried to usurp my place. So I'm just warning you no beer in Spaghetting Monster Heaven if you're not careful.
Speaker 2: I repair I repent. I forgot how close you were to his newly appendage.
Speaker 7: Yes, yes, all right, good, well, I do want to add something for Sophia. I don't know if and the caller, because it's an interesting book. It's called When Prophecy Fails, and it was written way back in like nineteen fifty six, but it's a documentation of how a cult got started and the prophecies that came from that cult, and what happened when the prophecies didn't come through the cult continue. It still exists today despite multiple prophecies failing time after time. Yeah, anyway, it's a it's a really interesting book because it looks at the social psychology of the kinds of things that the caller was talking about. He was one hundred percent certain, wasn't he? And yet so were the people in the in the book that I'm mentioning.
Speaker 1: Right, right, and we've got and there's just so many different examples of and we see. I even remember, right around the time I was graduating from high school, there was this big billboard campaign in my area where this preacher had predicted the end of the world, like like two days before graduation or something, and so like the whole big joke going around the school was like, well, we really don't have to finish our classes because you know, we're all going to die anyway.
Speaker 2: The world's gonna end. It didn't happen, though, it didn't happen.
Speaker 7: Was that the twenty twelve Rapture Day?
Speaker 2: Yep, yep, yep, yep.
Speaker 7: Yeah, we had. We had an entire conference around It's called Rapture Day Conference, a whole conference built around that one thing. It was a lot of fun. That's awesome, in which you talk Kansas, That's where the conference was.
Speaker 2: That's awesome.
Speaker 1: Well, speaking of speaking of a book, you you had mentioned that that great book when Prophecy Fails. I had heard you had written something with a with a couple of other really cool authors that got picked up by like Harvard or something.
Speaker 2: What was that?
Speaker 7: Yeah, well we, yeah, my colleague David teach Out and I wrote a chapter for a book that's going to come out next month from Oxford University Press at Oxford in Oxford.
Speaker 2: That's awesome, man, that's awesome. And then did I.
Speaker 1: Did I hear right that that Harvard caught wind of it and you're doing a talk there.
Speaker 7: So yeah, we're there's a symposium on religious Trauma that I'll be speaking I'm invited to speak at and that'll happen a week from Friday, this Friday, almost two weeks from now. That's so it's a free conference. If you're in the Boston area, you can you can come and listen to the talk. But I'll be talking on religious trauma and your brain.
Speaker 2: That is amazing.
Speaker 7: And here's a cold thing. It's at Harvard Divinity School.
Speaker 1: No way, no freaking way, Harmon Trinity School is going to let you talk on religious trauma.
Speaker 7: Oh my yes, right, and David's David's doing a second talk, so between the two of us, we'll have two talks there.
Speaker 2: That is freaking awesome.
Speaker 1: I was lucky enough to get to meet David last year and absolutely wonderful dude. And I am so I'm so bummed I don't live. This is maybe the one time I can say this.
Speaker 9: I am.
Speaker 1: I am super bummed that I don't live a little bit over the Mason Dixon line. So I'm a Southern boy for sure. But you know, I want people to hear about this really, really awesome thing that you have just recently created, which for anybody who's not aware of doctor Daryl Ray's insane history in this space. He is the founder of both Recovering from Religion and the Secular Therapy Project, two massively influential organizations in the secular space have have been able to help so many people. I think you said, like, what, thirty thousand clients.
Speaker 7: Well, thirty eight thousand clients in the Secret Therapy Project house. Yeah, one thoy ninety seven therapists in the secretar Therapy Project in eleven different countries, and my god, yeah, it's gotten huge. It's thirteen years old.
Speaker 10: Now.
Speaker 1: That is amazing. Man, that is really really freaking cool. And everybody that has been watching this show for a while knows how much we love both of those places and how often we shout them out. But for some reason, Daryl, you you apparently didn't have enough to do. It must be the case you were just sitting on your hands board one day and you got this really cool idea that the first class, the first cohort, has actually just finished and I was actually lucky enough to be a part of it. Would you mind just telling everybody a little bit about the Secure Leadership Institute?
Speaker 7: Sure? Sure, So I've been watching. My career was in leadership, so I was training the leaders for almost forty years in my career. But I get into the secular world in the late two thousands and I see, you know, poor leadership everywhere. And I'm not saying bad people. It's not bad people. It's just people who don't know how to lead, and so it causes lots of problems, lots of conflicts, that sort of stuff. So I got the idea a decade ago to bring my skills in leadership development into the secular world. But it's just now coming to fruition because I've had too much to do with recover from religit and secular Therapy project. But if you google google church leadership, you will find hundreds of training courses to train churches and church leaders. If you find Google secular leadership, you will find nothing. And that inspired me to start this Institute for Secular Leadership. I've been working on this for two years and we just launched it in February. And you were fortunate enough to be in the very first class. You are among those first of the acolytes, right, that's right.
Speaker 2: We threw our hats in everything.
Speaker 7: Yeah, you really did. It was a It was a good We had a great time but it's a it's a it's a course designed to teach people how to lead in the secular world, because you can't. You don't lead seculars like you lead people in church. Yeah, and I see too many leaders using church techniques, you know, guilt and shame and you know, doing not being able to deal with conflict appropriately. There's there's a lot of things that secular leaders need to learn how to do that church leaders don't do, or they do it very poorly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let me let me let me kind of pick your brain on that a little bit. You know, why is this so important? I mean I feel like I don't know, man. I feel like we've got American atheists. I mean they're a big organization and they're goods. You know, We've got you know, Sunday's assemblies, you know, going around. Still, we've got this recovering from religion, I mean, humanists associate. I don't know, man, I feel like we've got why why do we need to train secular leaders?
Speaker 7: Well, I look at leadership kind of like driving a car. When you first learn how to drive a car, you are really carefully driving. You don't know where to put your foot on the brake or on the accelerator. You're concentrating totally and without any training, and you get into the car, that's the way you're going to drive the car. You're probably gonna wreck the car too, if you're not careful. Well, that's kind of the way we are with leaders right now. We have not trained a single leader. Nobody gets trained. Churches are training people all the time. The Baptists have got a huge training program, the Mormon's got a huge training program. Well, if they think it's important to train people in churches, it's got to be just as important to train people to be secular leaders. And as a result of not having training, you see groups having conflict, not knowing how to deal with conflicts, splitting over conflict, groups starting and two years later dying. You see founder leaders who can't delegate, who won't train other people to do what they want, who hold on to power without with our sharing power. There's just a lot of mistakes I'm seeing being made by good people that are very smart people, but they haven't been trained. You wouldn't put your twelve year old kid in a car and say, I hope you make it alive. You'll give me some groceries. And that's kind of what we're doing with whoever steps up to lead the local humanist group, the local atheist groups, that's who gets it. But what qualifications do they have, what training do they have, and we are ready to do that. We started this course. We're now in our third cohort, as you know, and almost it's halfway sold out. Our second intermediate course is sold out. Now we can't accept any more people. So we're glad to see people are starting to get the word and sign up for it.
Speaker 2: That's awesome, that's awesome.
Speaker 1: And yeah, you guys can definitely find that out there all over some places.
Speaker 2: I saw it on Facebook the other day.
Speaker 1: Very very easy to get a part of it and to join in. There are some really really important things that that you know, I have learned already, some things that I saw myself doing incorrectly. And again it's it's not it's it's not from anything other than just a lack of knowledge on it. We, like you said, we don't have these pipelines. We we have not had these kind of these courses or these pathways for our people at all, you know, And if you're lucky enough to be in an area that has a group already. More often than not, it's kind of like, hey, who's in charge here?
Speaker 2: And when you.
Speaker 1: Find out that person, they tend to be like, yeah, nobody else wanted to do it, you know.
Speaker 2: So and then and we wonder why our our causes stagnate.
Speaker 1: We wonder why, we wonder why it's so difficult for us to get anything, you know, to happen in this space. But I I am thrilled by this man. I think this is really awesome them. And if you could, if you could give somebody out there, you know, just just one one little nugget of something, they might get some some little bit of a little bit of the secret sauce, behind the scenes thing to wet their appetite so that they'll they'll.
Speaker 2: Sign up for this.
Speaker 1: What what would you say to them? What's something super important for secular leaders?
Speaker 7: Well, I think it's not just secular leaders, but secular board members, because there's far more people on secular boards than there are leaders, so to speak. So I think the most we have a simple thing we do in one of the courses is five key things board members should know and do, and that would be And I don't have time to go through them right now, of course. But the number one thing is you are responsible morally and fiscally and financially for the way the organization operates, and so you should be using best practices. So the bottom line is, in our leadership training, we're teaching best practices, and group that follow best practices tend to grow because the people that belong to it see how you function and appreciate the way you're using donor money or the time of the volunteers. So it's an important component to develop the trust between board members, and trust between leaders and board members is absolutely critical if you want to grow. And what I see is so many groups been around for ten or twenty years and they haven't grown at all. They've still got thirty forty people on the register and only ten people show up to the meetings. Well, I think you could change that if you learn how to lead. And it's not because you don't it's not because you're not good people, not because you're not intelligent, because you haven't been trained in best practices. Yeah, answer the question a little bit.
Speaker 2: I think so.
Speaker 1: I think you've had a great job answering that question, and there are tons of awesome ways that you can help out, folks. It is of one C three, so all donations are tax deductible, just like when you give money here to the wonderful folks at the Atheist Community of Boston, which I see. We have already a dollar ninety nine super chat coming in from Jonathan France. I wonder if we can get that up on here real quick. It says cubes upon you, cubes upon your house and your cow, and yes, cubes upon every single one of you out there as well. That's a little that's a little a bit we have going here and you instead of pieces. But anyway, I have the perfect call I think to talk a little bit more about this. We have an atheist Sean he him pronouns out in Kansas, wants to talk to us today about something about humanism or I'm not sure here.
Speaker 2: Well we'll get him to explain.
Speaker 1: But hey, Sean, you are on the Atheist experience with Secularity and doctor Daryl Ray.
Speaker 2: What is up?
Speaker 4: Wow, nice to be with you guys. Thanks so much.
Speaker 7: Hey, how are you good to have you Sean?
Speaker 4: It's so good to see you both. And I was enjoying that you met previous caller and listening to the fulfillmentive prophecy, and I'm like, man, that brings, you know, back to when I was a theist before I became an atheist. But yeah, so now I am a humanist and I'm also a graduate with secular rarity in doctor Ray's course in the Institute for Secular Leadership. And I've really learned a lot thanks to everybody there.
Speaker 2: Nice awesome man.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what was what was one of the things that you got out of it that you you really valued?
Speaker 7: Oh?
Speaker 2: Wow, just one thing?
Speaker 4: Really, there was so much, you know, I have to the fact that being with ten other individuals who are learning and who bring their own uh you know, experience with them, but listening to the leaders of the course and helping to you know, reframe some things to help us consider things we hadn't considered. And me never having been a leader or trained as a leader, this was critical for me. I felt like I had to had to get into this course. And I'll tell you, I've learned so much. I'm glad to see some things I've been doing well, but I've only learned to do how to do them better. And you know, I love that. So I don't know, like how to be an idea generator. That's really cool. I learned a lot from that that thread. Horizontal accountability has nothing to do with being in bed. So, you know, one of the more recent ones we heard before graduating was whose chicken is this?
Speaker 7: Or yeah? Or yeah?
Speaker 4: Or who's monkey?
Speaker 7: Rather who's monkey?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 11: Right?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah right.
Speaker 4: I don't know why I said chicken.
Speaker 8: Maybe was that a Freudian slip?
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 7: You're making ship up?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, right now? Yeah now, I'm just making ship up.
Speaker 11: Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 4: But yeah, you know, getting buy in for our vision. And that's one thing that I realized I had not really been as focused on as I should be, because the whole reason I, you know, started my organization was to have well the vision that are that I had and get it out there and start working on that. So anyway, uh, you know, and and this this course is really helping me to zone in on that our mission, making sure that our leaders are also invested in that idea and wanting to forward. So yeah, very exciting to be able to promote this course for people who are in the secular community who want to lead. I highly recommend this course.
Speaker 1: Yeah, definitely I think it was. It was a lot of fun. We we got to we got to bounce ideas off of each other a bunch. And you know, one of the things I think is so cool is you know, I didn't even know. Yeah I probably could have guessed, right, but I didn't even know there was a humanist group out in Topeka, Kansas, you know, And just just taking this course has allowed me to get that connection at least, you know, And like, I think that is one thing again that we've been missing for so long in this space, is that cross pollination and that interconnectedness of the communities. We see this on the right with the Christian Nationalists, we we we see this in so many of these other groups, and unfortunately we we just don't have a counter example yet, you know.
Speaker 2: So I'm thrilled that we have this.
Speaker 12: Oh yeah, well one of the that's one of the key things that we're all trying to do is to create a network of leaders so that for that very very thing you're talking about, and.
Speaker 7: Yeah, you know our goal that.
Speaker 8: I'm sorry I should not have interrupted.
Speaker 2: My apologies, No, go ahead, Sean, Oh, I was just.
Speaker 4: Gonna say speaking to that about you know, having a network. I recently had a challenge that came up about childcare and one of our director board of directors had mentioned a series of concerns about you know that, especially how churches have been known to do it, you know, with with free childcare, and it's always the women taking care of the children, and so kind of reinforces the patriarchy in that sense, you know, and unpaid labor among other issues gender, you know, gendo, stereo typing, and that kind of reinforcement. So I presented the concern to the group, the cohort and got some really fabulous responses, and I'm like, this is so wonderful that we actually have a network and it's only going to grow, and so we'll be able to get some excellent feedback from folks who are experiencing something similar, might be able to you know, lend some ideas to help the challenges that we're faced with. And you know, oh yeah, by the way, that was in a leadership challenges thread that was specifically set up for that. And so I'm like, yeah, right, oh.
Speaker 2: This is really cool, good nice. Yeah, what were what were you what were you thinking, Darryl?
Speaker 7: You had well, I was going to say our goal is to train one thousand leaders over the next ten years. Wow, one thousand leaders the next ten year. And think if we had a thousand leaders all gone through the same training, with the same approach and methodology and language, they can start talking to each other and we can grow in new ways we've never done before. We can horizontally grow and connecting and developing each other. And that's that's what Sean's talking about. Yeah, and they can go to Secular Leadership dot Org is the website you can go to to see more about the course.
Speaker 1: Make it easy for him. That's the way to do it. Yeah, yeah, I love it. Well, Sean, do you do you have any do you have any closing thoughts for us or reflections on the on the course.
Speaker 4: You know, I just want to say that I think the the breadth of what we learned just in the introductory course alone before even going into the intermediate course was I mean, eye opening and directly helpful every every after every class, you know, we had some homework to do and application of that in our own group, and we can also you know, you know, bounce some feedback. So knowing that you know, I.
Speaker 13: Don't have to do this alone, anymore and.
Speaker 4: Think on my own too, you know, hit or miss, and having you know, people who've gone before, you know, like actual sen phase. That's what Sunsey means, is like the one who's gone before, right, So you know, it's great to be able to pick, you know, from from people.
Speaker 14: Who who've done this and are are.
Speaker 4: You know, will have understood the best practices to take those and and make this happen. I'm just so excited to know that we're going to have secular leaders that are trained and and like Daryl said, you know, speaking the language, you know, and being able to move that forward and work together and network and grow together. So I think it's amazing and thank you for the opportunity for me to be able to come on here today to share that with you all.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thanks so much, Sean.
Speaker 7: We really apt sure calling Sean.
Speaker 2: Yeah, man, we are absolutely appreciate it.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna I'm gonna drop you like a hot tato real quick, because there's no uh, there's no real like you know, easy or dignified way to do it.
Speaker 7: Man.
Speaker 1: But thank you so much for calling us today. And I can't wait until we're in another class together again.
Speaker 10: Man.
Speaker 8: So likewise, coming right up soon. All right, see.
Speaker 1: Y'all heave rather ah man, I I love it. It is very important that we start thinking beyond the systems and the methods that we've used in the past.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: I think one of the biggest reasons why we haven't seen I mean, when I think about American atheists and let's say the American humanists, they've been around for almost one hundred years, apiece. I mean, they've been around for really really long time. And I ask myself, why haven't we had more progress? Why haven't we had even more progress than what we have had?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 1: Why why do we see backslides and all of this stuff? And I think one of the biggest reasons is we just don't have those things training the next generation of leaders.
Speaker 2: We just don't have.
Speaker 1: Those things that build up the community in the same way that the religious do.
Speaker 15: You know.
Speaker 2: I was recently watching the Shiny Happy People documentary, you know, and like, I mean.
Speaker 1: When you see the the conferences that they put on and you see what they're doing, and it's all about this leadership building, how do you how do you take this back into your town and stuff? I mean, this is what they've been doing for decades.
Speaker 7: At this point, oh at least.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, and it just we we have to we have to start.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 2: The best time to start was ten years ago. The next best time is right now, you know. So well, uh, we'll get onto that.
Speaker 1: But before we do that, there is actually something very cool that my buddy and fellow host here, Jamie the Blindlimey, has to say, Jamie.
Speaker 2: What is that thing about?
Speaker 1: This?
Speaker 2: Coming up in May?
Speaker 9: Jamie the Blind lime here, and I've got some interesting news for you. On Saturday, May sixteenth, at six pm, we'll be hosting our twenty four hour We Are Here live stream and fundraiser to highlight secular voices around the world. We've invited dozens of your favorite content creators like genetically Modified Skeptic, the Antibot, Justin d Z, and more to let the world know that we are here and we're not going anywhere. If you're here in Austin, come join us at Free Thought Library at fifteen oh seven West Cain Iglaine. Well, we'll be kicking things off in style, and if you're online, do join us on the Atheist Experience channel to check out the stream and join in the fun. So join us from wherever you are in the world, and together we can dedicate ourselves to secular humanist values wherever we are.
Speaker 2: That is awesome.
Speaker 1: Yes, thank you so much Jamie for the info on the upcoming twenty four hour live stream and fundraiser for the ACA May sixteenth, starting at six pm Central time. You guys don't want to miss it. It was super duper fun last year. I got to participate. I was very excited. They gave me one of the like primo Primo slots, the like one thirty to like like two fifteen in the in the morning time Central It was. It was awesome. I was so thrilled to do it. I got to hang out with a couple of different people. I got to hang out with Holy kool Aid and Godless Engineer.
Speaker 2: We had we had a good time.
Speaker 1: So definitely, folks, make sure that you put that on your calendars and you come hang out with us. We have some other we have some other really good calls here, Darryl. I think we should go out to Colorado and talk with RJ, a theist him pronouns RJ wants to talk about the four winds in the Bible, So I don't I don't know how much you know about this, Daryl, but we.
Speaker 2: Are going to leave it.
Speaker 7: Go for it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's do it. Let's give it a shot. Well, hey, r J, you are on the atheist experience.
Speaker 2: What is up?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Hey?
Speaker 7: So yeah?
Speaker 14: Well, happy Easter. I know you guys probably don't celebrate it, but.
Speaker 7: Do you happy?
Speaker 11: Yeah?
Speaker 14: But so I found it kind of interesting. I don't think this will really change your guys's opinion or anything, but I was looking up the four winds, and I know a lot of atheists think that that means that Christians and Jews thought the Earth was flat. But if you do some research on it, there is six major wind systems that we have. I'm guessing you're probably aware of them. The polar East release, the trade wind and then the westerlies. But if you look at it closer, the winds that are blowing on land where humans inhabit, it's it's just the four winds. So it's the easterly or I'm sorry, the westerlies and the trade winds, and like even when you go to Norway or Greenland, they usually still follows the pattern of the westerlies above the thirty degree north line.
Speaker 1: So is is this something that convinced you r J.
Speaker 14: No, it was part of the convintion, not entirely, but it definitely is an explanation sure to what that means?
Speaker 1: And like sure, and and you know, I understand the concept of accumulative case. You know, the reason that I accept that my buddy, you know, got a rabbits as a as a.
Speaker 2: Birthday present, you know, and now as a pet rabbit.
Speaker 1: That he wasn't particularly thrilled about, but he still takes care of it very well and he loves it. But the reason I believe that is because of all of these other different pieces of evidence. You know, I know that bunnies exist. You know, I know he had a birthday recently. You know, I've actually seen the fucking rabbit. There's a lot of stuff, right, But like if we were to somehow figure out a way, I'm not saying that we can, but like if the three of us here right now could like disprove that either that hey, actually no, there's like twelve wins on the earth, like the physical geography and all that, or we could somehow show that the individual who wrote that portion of the Bible was actually talking about something totally different. Would it really move the needle at all in terms of your belief in God.
Speaker 14: On this particular subject. No, yeah, yeah, but I mean, I mean, those are the winds. I mean, obviously there's gonna be other like wind effects that aren't gonna follow over exactly.
Speaker 1: But r J, if if we spend ten minutes talking about these winds right at the end of it, no matter how much progress you and I make, you're gonna still believe. And and so I'd just rather go to something that's more convincing to you. If if you came across that and we're even like, eh, that's.
Speaker 2: Not that big of a deal. But it's kind of a little bit of extra sprinkles on my ice cream, you know that.
Speaker 1: That's okay, I get that, But I want to I want to go right to the right to the heart of it. Man, what's the what's the real reason that that you believe? You know, God's real or Jesus rose from the dead today a long time ago, or something like that.
Speaker 14: I would say I have a lot of multiple reasons, not just one in particular.
Speaker 1: For sure, give me a really really good one. Give me give me the one that you really think is super Sorry.
Speaker 2: Solid.
Speaker 14: As far as like Christianity goes or the proof that there is a God.
Speaker 2: Your choice.
Speaker 14: I've talked to I've talked to uh Darryl Ray before on this same show. I don't he probably doesn't rememory. But anyways, my biggest one was demographics, human demographics. That was the biggest one. Well, because if evolution wasn't real, or if evolution was real, we would have trillions and trillions of people living on the planet by now. There's if you will go back five hundred thousand years, I mean, we would have reproduced way more times than we already have. I realized, what about Yeah, there, correct, that's the excuse. But diseases don't wipe out populations were thousands and thousands of years, and neither does natural disasters, especially if you're spread out.
Speaker 1: But if over look, because I'm not I don't want to go like too far down the evolution route. I just want to be charitable on both sides here, Like if we both agree, just for the sake of the argument that like climate and the Earth changes over like thousands of years of time, you don't think it's possible that say, like the most northern portion of Africa in a thousand to two thousand years could go from a lush, green environment that could support a lot of life to like a dry, arid, freezing cold desert that couldn't support anything.
Speaker 2: You don't think that's possible, like at all.
Speaker 14: I do think it's possible. But if humans are spread out across various locations, I don't think that would have an effect on it. Just like in large popular portions of animal populations get wiped out, there's still a bunch of them that survives.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but animals go extinct, right, animals and plants go extinct.
Speaker 14: That's true, But humans are a lot smarter than the animal where a lot we can adapt and survive a lot better than most animals can.
Speaker 1: Give me, give me, give me a second here, Arji, I've been kind of dominating. I want to get I want to get doctor Ray and on this as well, what do you what.
Speaker 2: Do you think on this? Daryl? Is there something to it?
Speaker 7: I'm more curious about what R. Jay's underlying emotional motivation is for solving this problem. What what motivates you to think in the about this problem?
Speaker 6: Uh?
Speaker 14: What what problem are you talking about? How humans would I'm not sure what you're asking, sorry.
Speaker 7: Well, what what motivates you to call in? What? What's the concern the underlying concern that makes you concerned about this.
Speaker 14: About you guys being atheists?
Speaker 7: Is that?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 7: Why am I you called us to talk about four winds and things like that? What is the underlying concern that you've got that the wind's going to build the wrong direction? You know, I'm being facetious there, but what what caused you to adding?
Speaker 14: I would say that's just evidence, I guess in a way like he was saying earlier, that is sprinkles on top of the evidence that has already been presented that the Bible is true and that there's a lot of stuff in there that people wouldn't know that they did know somehow, Like the four winds would be something that would be really difficult, especially when you consider that the most so the wind isn't that.
Speaker 7: Well, okay, let me ask this question. You called in to talk about this one. Why didn't you call it talk about something in the Baba Guida or in the Quran? Is it is there a reason why that that those holy books that obviously they people think God wrote.
Speaker 14: Yeah, but they have errors in them, like obvious errors and contradictions that I don't think makes sense.
Speaker 7: Okay, So you studied the Koran and you know how many errors it has.
Speaker 14: I haven't really, I haven't read the entire theme, but I know there's one hundred and fourteen surahs, like I know the basic thing. Okay, Yeah, and it's got contradictions in it that are major, like I was. Okay, the arguments again there against the Kuran are greater than the arguments against the Bible.
Speaker 7: Greater than okay, but so the Bible has contradictions too, correct.
Speaker 14: Well, the arguments I don't personally believe that I've seen the arguments the re revs. I guess the people who refute the arguments, I think their arguments are stronger than the arguments are made against it. When I hear people trying to defend the Koran against.
Speaker 7: So if I was sitting here in you you were a Christian and we had a Muslim of equal knowledge to you, and you guys started debating, how would you go out winning that debate?
Speaker 14: Well, okay, well, the mo the Quran has failed prophecies. So the biggest argument against Islam, in my opinion versus Christianity is Christianity. Christianity had prophecies that were fulfilled versus the Koran.
Speaker 7: Oh wait, wait, hold on. I've got a lot of Muzslim friends, the next Muslim friends, and they're pretty darn sure all the prophecies in the Koran came true. I'm positive that they will. They will go, they will die on that on that hill, so to speak. So I'm just trying to figure out which prophecy should I put the most weight on, yours or theirs?
Speaker 14: I would say, I would say on Christianity's prophecies, had.
Speaker 7: You been born in Saudi Arabia, would you be saying the same thing? If what if you had been born in Saudi Arabia raised in Islam, would you be saying the same thing you are right now?
Speaker 14: I think I would yes. Just like if I had a math problem and I lived in Saudi Arabia, and I looked at a math problem and I was able to solve it, but everyone in Saudi Arabia said that that my solution was wrong, but the people in the US said the solution was right. I would say, well, i'm i'm I agree with the people in the US. Their solution is correct. The people in Saudi.
Speaker 7: Arabiakay, this isn't This isn't math problems. The Musslim math works. In fact, we use Arabic numerals in case you hadn't learned math. It's Arabic numerals, right. So the Arabs gave us from India. It came from ultimately, it started in India, but we call them Arabic numerals because they came to us through the Arab world. But that's not the issue. The issue is, how do I tell you were raised in Saudi Arabia the only religion you ever heard of or knew was Islam. Would you still be making the same claims that you are right now?
Speaker 14: If I had access to the Bible and I lived in Saudi Arabia, and I looked at both the Bible and the Koran, and I compared them to the Old Testament prophecies, and the Koran doesn't really the Koran says the Old Testament, doesn't. I mean, they kind of contradict and say it's not the correct Old Testament. But if I was looking at both of them side by side, and I had access to the Bible, I would think you, I would believe the Bible.
Speaker 7: Okay, Now let's go back to Utah. If you had been raised in Utah as a Mormon and book a Mormon was your holy book, which prophecy Joseph Smith's prophecies or you know, or your local Baptist churches minister's prophecies. Who should I believe?
Speaker 14: I would I'm not a Baptist, but well, I believe I'm a Protestant, I guess, but I believe in I don't really want to label myself as a Baptist, but I would say I guess in a way I am kind of related Baptists because I concern myself evangelical and they kind of rose out of the Baptist movement. I guess in a way I kind of am. But yeah, I would still say that the Baptist is more correct than the the Mormon movement is based on the logical prophecies I'm looking at.
Speaker 7: I mean, well, are You've given us no logic? But that's okay. I can't understand how Mormonism doesn't trump Trump whatever.
Speaker 16: You can have.
Speaker 1: The fulfilled prophecies that are claimed by the early followers of Joseph Smith sound way more miraculous to me than than a lot of the a lot of the Bible and stuff. But there you brought up something a second ago, RJ. I want to I want to just get some clarification on you said, when if I were to compare the New Testament to to you know, the Old Testament, if I were to compare the Koran to the Old Testament, why are you doing that? Why are you bringing these books to compare them to supposed prophecies written in the Old Testament.
Speaker 2: What is it about the Old Testament to use as a.
Speaker 14: Guide there, Yeah, because that's the Old Testament prove the New Testament. The New Testament proves that the Old Testament possably.
Speaker 2: I understand that circle.
Speaker 1: But what I'm asking about, RJ, is if you've got books that are very very old, right, and you've got like seven of them in front of you. You know, doctor Ray mentioned the Bagavad Gita, Like, if you've got that, and you've got the Old Testament as it's compiled today, but wouldn't have been compiled in that fashion from two thousand years ago? Like why would you pick out the Old Testament as being the like foundation that we've got to go find all the things that make it work.
Speaker 2: Does that Does that make sense why I'm asking that?
Speaker 14: Uh, yeah, I think I get what you're at trying to get trying to say, yeah, I well, because because of Israel was the one of the most powerful nations and it's in the Middle East.
Speaker 7: When and yeah, when was that?
Speaker 2: Like what time period would.
Speaker 14: You during the time of King Solomon?
Speaker 1: And my understanding and I sure could be wrong on this, and both of us could go do some some research with like a seriologist and stuff, but my understanding is that the concept of a pre modern Israel, like an ancient Israel, like two thousand plus odd years ago Israel absolutely in no way, shape or form existed in all of the archaeological evidence points otherwise.
Speaker 2: That is my understanding.
Speaker 1: RJ Okay, Yeah, but but I mean if that's the case, right, then that would be a problem for then going back to what you just said about using the Old Testament as the basis, right, because unless there's another reason why you would do that, unless there's another reason why you would pick.
Speaker 14: That collection, Well, it prophesies that there there's going to be a continuation of the Old Testament. What does a gold is the Old Israelite?
Speaker 2: Hang on, hang on, just a second. I'm sorry, I should have I should have done this earlier on RJ.
Speaker 1: But can you can you give me your best definition for what you mean when you say prophecy, Like if I say, if I say I'm going to call my mother at seven pm this two day day, is.
Speaker 2: That a prophecy in your eyes?
Speaker 11: No?
Speaker 2: Awesome?
Speaker 1: So like, so give me your best understanding when when you're talking about these prophecies in the Bible, what what do you mean? Is it a dream somebody had? Is it somebody commanding something to do something?
Speaker 2: What do you mean by that?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 14: Actually both of those are examples actually in the Bible of.
Speaker 1: A dream and a command in your eyes counts as prophecy.
Speaker 14: Certain specific ones. Yes, why okay, Well, the commands that God gave to Israel. If you follow all my statues, I'm gonna bless you and I'm gonna make you into a great nation, and that happens. But if you turn away for me, then your nation's going to fall. And if you disobey all these statues.
Speaker 2: Did that happen?
Speaker 11: Yeah?
Speaker 14: Yeah, they stool eventually fell to the Babylonian.
Speaker 1: So it kind of sounds like this prophecy fails one way or the other, or is right one way or the other, Because it sounds like it says either you succeed in the prophecy is successful, or you fail and the prophecy is successful. That doesn't really cut it for me when it comes to prophecy. Let me give you an example, RJ. My understanding of prophecy tends to be something like.
Speaker 2: In the year twenty twenty seven, doctor Darryl Ray will wear a gray.
Speaker 1: Sweater at an atheist conference, and on the back of that sweater will be a sign that says kick me please.
Speaker 2: That's like a prophecy, right.
Speaker 1: If you're commanding somebody to perform actions, that doesn't sound like a prophecy to me, right.
Speaker 2: It sounds like somebody's saying, do this.
Speaker 1: Thing, especially if there's threat for punishment for not doing it right. Right.
Speaker 14: But it makes sense though, because they didn't obey God. They started going and worshiping after idols and statues, and that's why they were destroyed. And that there's even historical Uh, there's histories proving that that happened, you.
Speaker 2: Know, there's so what about the prophecy?
Speaker 1: What about the prophecy in the Qoran that one day near the end times that the children of Muhammad, or as we like to call them these days, Muslims, they will build great, great tall buildings that will reach the sky, and that will be an indication of the end times. What about that prophecy? Have you seen some of the buildings that they've gotten Dubai right now? Yeah?
Speaker 14: Well, I mean I've seen them on the news.
Speaker 2: Is that yeah? I mean mean too.
Speaker 1: I haven't been to Dubai, but I mean, is that is that not a fulfillment of that prophecy? Does that not show that the Koran is true?
Speaker 14: Like you said earlier, though, that's kind of the one where if I call, If I say I'm gonna call my mom tomorrow and then I do it, that's kind of the same thing because you can always build a building up to the sky. They're not the only ones that did that.
Speaker 1: How is it different than I think it's presented. How is it different than the things that you've presented though, RJ. That's what I'm trying to get at. It kind of sounds like in both scenarios, there was like more or less a command right that then came with some stipulations like if you do this, then these things. If you don't do this, then these things right in both scenarios, it kind of sounds like they're really really similar, and neither of them sound like what I think all of us actually agree. Sounds more like a prophecy, which is that silly thing I did about Darryl Ray having.
Speaker 2: A kidney sign on his back.
Speaker 1: In a year you know, like I mean, if that happens, if somebody watches this episode of The Atheist Experience and a year from now, seize Daryl Ray and me hugging and laughing at some event, and they walk up behind and put a sticker on the back of his sweater, there is that fulfillment of prophecy. Am I am I somehow now prophetic?
Speaker 14: No, I wouldn't say that, because you probably go and make that happen right point Yeah.
Speaker 7: And that's an interesting component RJ. Because much of the Bible was written in exactly that way. People came back and made quote made the prophecies come true. I do want to say this, I want to suggest this to you. You have a what set of rules or logic rules you apply to what you agree with, and you have a very different set of logic and rules to things you don't agree with, so you don't examine the Quran in the same way as you examine the Bible. In fact, you don't examine the Bible, and you claim you did examine the Koran or the Bad Vagita you know, or the Mormon Book of Mormon. I haven't heard your criteria for accept your opinion and your repeating of whatever some preacher told you about what the Bible says or didn't say. So I would just challenge you to think about what are your criteria for assessing truth?
Speaker 14: Okay, well, I guess I can live with that. I would just say that Christianity fulfilled the Old test Old Testament propheties. So the reason I believe the Bible over the Koran is the Bible fulfilled the Old Testament.
Speaker 2: Posty, sure, I totally think.
Speaker 1: I think I get I think I get that kind of chain, And that makes sense to me in the sense that if I were to believe that the New Testament fulfilled that there were prophecy in the Old Testament and the New Testament absolutely fulfills them, I could absolutely myself going heck, yeah, man, I believe it. It must be true. It came to fruition The thing is, though, again kind of like what Daryl was just saying. There, you know, there's more problems before we even get to the statement of oh Man, the New Testament fulfilled prophecy, and there's already problems that we haven't we haven't addressed yet, and a couple of those being well, how do we come to truth right, and the other one being well, what exactly counts as a prophecy? I want to leave it right there, r J, because I thought this was a really good discussion. I did feel like we were both we were both being charitable, We're both giving and getting and learning and all that, and I think that's awesome. And I'll just I love giving homework to people. Paulagia is this guy on YouTube who does these awesome, you know, little videos and animations and real, real interesting stuff, and he talks a lot about you know, biblical archaeology and you know, New Testament scholarship and all this.
Speaker 2: He actually has.
Speaker 1: Laid out a really really nice and succinct list of criteria that determines whether or not something is prophecy. I use that a lot as my kind of guide guiding posts.
Speaker 2: There.
Speaker 1: What I would love because I'm sure, you know, they will let me out of my tomb at least in a year's time again. And then when I am back on call in and let's talk about that, you know, maybe he got something in that list wrong, maybe there's maybe there's a flaw there, or maybe you look at that list and you go, heck, yeah, man, I agree with every single one of them, and hear all the prophecies in the Old Testament that that match up to it. So I think that could be a really a really fun thing for both of us. And I'll go back myself and and watch it in the meantime. But I am gonna drop you like a hot rock RJ. And I'm so sorry, but there's just no great way to do that without it just cutting people off a little bit. So I appreciate you, man, and we do have some other really cool calls we're gonna grab here in just a second.
Speaker 2: But I think you're right. I think you're right, Darryl.
Speaker 1: It's we The foundation is how do we come to the conclusion that something is or is not true? That that is critical, and if we don't have that, we can't really make much more progress.
Speaker 7: But I appreciate our Jay's honesty, and his honesty revealed some flaws. I think that he can he can go back and examine.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 7: I think we all should examine the flaws in our own logic. And if you're one hundred percent certain, then you are certainly flawed.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's my that's my version anyway, yep.
Speaker 1: I love it, man, And we have a couple of great super chats. I'm gonna read here real quick, and then we've got some awesome calls I'm gonna grab. We have one ninety nine pounds from mister fog horn sixty six. I don't see a message, and so I'm just going to say thank you so much, mister fog horn, and give you a little.
Speaker 2: Is that was that a fog horn? I was close to a fog horn?
Speaker 11: Right, yeah?
Speaker 7: Close enough? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, okay, then.
Speaker 1: Oh no, wait no, there is a message. There is a message. I see it here, it's underneath it. So that's my fault entirely. It says love Daryl Ray, John Ireland Banger humanist and.
Speaker 7: I oh, yes, yes, yes, I just met John on my speaking tour in bad Hey John, goodness, see.
Speaker 2: You, hey man. Thanks for tuning in John. That is awesome.
Speaker 7: And I did a speaking tour of Ireland and the United Kingdom and that's where I met John just in October. It was a fun tour to do.
Speaker 2: That's awesome. That is so frecking cool. And look at that.
Speaker 1: John, you got me to make a fog horn sound on one of the live shows.
Speaker 2: That is like bonus for you. We also just got.
Speaker 1: One in four ninety nine dollars from Clash two three four seven, been a member for one year. Wants to say that Hexagons are superior and stay rock hard for Doug. Yes, yes, indeed, I think we should grab another call because we got some cool ones.
Speaker 2: I want to go to Harah.
Speaker 1: She the pronouns is an atheist calling from the US and want some advice on how to deal with religious in laws in Easter. So, Daryl, I think you have a little bit of experience with this type of stuff just a few decades or so, so this is definitely gonna be your call, man.
Speaker 2: But hey, Harrah, you are on.
Speaker 1: The atheist experience with secularity and doctor.
Speaker 15: Daryl Ray, Hi glad to be here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thanks so much.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so tell us give us a little bit of an understanding of kind of the situation you're dealing with, and I will let I will let the wonderful doctor take over. I will go ahead and make the disclaimer that none of this is therapy, none of this is actual advisor, and go get you know, just for you know, we're keeping all of ourselves safe here legally. But yeah, give us a give us an understanding.
Speaker 2: What are you dealing with? Haarah?
Speaker 10: So I deconverted about two years ago and I'm still married with my husband, who is sort of agnostics, still almost like a cultural Christian, goes to church for the community of it. But his parents have been increasingly passive aggressive toward him about my actions and especially today apparently it happened that they approached him about needing to be the man of the house about me not attending Easter celebrations today with them even though I was working today. So it's not a great relationship. But I'm wondering if there's anything I can do to further support him, or if I need to take over and start to confront this conversation with my in laws directly, and if you have any recommendations.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Darryl, please take over.
Speaker 7: Wow, Okay, that's uh. That's interesting. So you your husband has he has he brought this issue to you or did you experience it? Have you been experiencing it personally?
Speaker 10: He brought this issue to me. He told me about a really rough conversation he had with his parents.
Speaker 7: Okay, okay, and uh is he asking something of you?
Speaker 10: Not right now, more just it was in a conversation of venting about it really sucks to have my parents do this to me, especially when you're not even here and you're at work. He's incredibly supportive. I just feel for him being under pressure when I'm not.
Speaker 7: Even there right right, Yeah, that it is unfortunate and very just emotionally disturbing to have that kind of dynamic in a family. And unfortunately we come from religion, we hear this every single day, so almost every single hour what you're talking about. So have you heard of I'll just recommend real quickly a book. Just just as I get ready to recommend it, it lives out of my head. I'll try to remember it later. There's a couple of good books on how to deal with this kind of problem I'm not drawing of right now. Let me go back to you, though, So what is he asked. He's not asking you to do anything, not right.
Speaker 15: Now, and I don't think he would.
Speaker 10: He generally assumes that he needs to deal with his parents because they're his parents. And I'm wondering if I take some sort of action, is about me? Their problems are about me, but they're bugging him about it.
Speaker 7: Their problems are about you. But there, that's what they're saying. Problems are really with their own son. True. So whose responsibility is it to resolve the conflict between the parent and the child.
Speaker 10: The wife of the child, because that's kind of how I grew up feeling and I'm still working on deconstructing that where I have to fix everybody.
Speaker 7: Ah, well, there you go. Good, good reflection. That's a great reflection. Well that's one thing we did learn in church, didn't we That the woman, the wife should always be responsible for keeping the avoiding the conflict, or resolving the conflict. So you you take on the burden. Yeah, pardon yeah, yeah, that's.
Speaker 6: The emotional Yeah.
Speaker 7: So let's do a little imaginary let's play out a little imaginary scene here. Let's I want you to go ahead in your mind and take on all this burden of the problem between your husband and his parents. What's that look like here from now?
Speaker 1: Not?
Speaker 15: Good?
Speaker 7: Can you be more specific?
Speaker 10: I don't know that tempers would remain.
Speaker 15: Calm, and I don't know that it.
Speaker 10: Wouldn't make us fracture more. And I don't think that I would. I don't know that they have the ability to handle a calm, courteous conversation about their concerns about my belief or disbelief or attendance at religious rituals, right. I don't know that they could handle that without it turning into temper slaring, and I think that it would fracture us further.
Speaker 7: Okay, Okay, So taking on all the burdens really not going to make a big difference, or it might make a difference in the sense it actually gets worse. Is that what you're saying.
Speaker 15: Yeah, I think it would get worse.
Speaker 7: Okay. I think it's important in relationships to keep the lines of responsibility really crystal clear. And your husband's relationship with his parents is his responsibility, not yours. I'm being pretty firm about that, and I you know, there may be exceptions, but I've heard this way too many times that the wife trait tries to take on the burden of resolving the problem between the husband and the in laws. Can't imagine how that's going to work out in your favor.
Speaker 10: Is there anything I can do to help him without it turning into me trying to control the whole situation?
Speaker 7: Well, okay, you just identified something trying to control the situation. Whose responsibility it is to control the situation? Is okay? So if you take on his responsibility, what's what's the consequence of that a year from now?
Speaker 10: I think he would have a worse a relationship with his parents too, and I don't necessarily want that either.
Speaker 7: So you're you're in charge of managing his relationship with his parents.
Speaker 10: Doesn't sound like that's gonna work.
Speaker 7: No, it's not, and it it probably won't work, Parah. And you are. You are deeply concerned for your husband, and that is absolutely reasonable. And you've also sounds to me like you've done a good job of listening to your husband and empathizing with your husband, and all those things are absolutely perfect. That's what you want. I want in my partner. I want somebody who's going to have my back emotionally, so to speak. But and there's a big bet, isn't it. I also don't want to absolve me myself of the responsibility of dealing with the conflicts that are my responsibility and not my very supportive and helpful and concerned partner. You are a very helpful, concerned partner, and that is super admirable. That's why we have partners on this planet. Does that make sense so far?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 15: It does.
Speaker 10: It helps out that probably can't do much, keep trying to support him in anything he decides to do.
Speaker 7: Yep, right, and he's gonna have he's going to have to make some tough decisions. He's going to have to go over to his parents' house and sit down with him and say, look, mom and dad, here's the way I'm living my life, and here's how my wife and I are living our lives. And that is our choice, not yours. We would love to have a great relationship with you. Mind us the imposition of religious requirements. They may or may not go along with that. It probably won't, but that's that's your husband's responsibility.
Speaker 1: And don't don't think of it as because I there's there's not much. There's not much I can add on to to what Darryl Ray has already said. Harrah, But my my little bit here would just be don't think of it as all I can do is just support him. The thing you are doing is one of the most important freaking things during this time. You supporting him is one of the greatest freaking things you can do.
Speaker 2: And the fact that you choose to do it all the.
Speaker 1: Time, that's awesome, right because you know, let's be honest, we could all we'll go our separate ways. We could all hear about somebody having a tough time and then decide, Eh, not my burden, not my problem. Hope it works out, buddy, I'll see you next week. But that's not what you're doing. You're not just supporting him. It's not all you can do. It's the most important fucking thing you can be doing right now, and you're choosing to do it. So that's awesome, that's huge. You know, we all go through those tough times, and ninety nine out of one hundred freaking times would wear through them. The one thing we all go is, man, I really wish I had somebody there to support me. I wish I wish all I had was just a little support.
Speaker 2: It's the most important thing ever. Harah.
Speaker 15: Thank you for that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're crushing it. I think you're doing a great job. And I have heard that there is this little organization been around about seventeen ish years, I think, where they have these have these individuals on phone lines that are ready to go at a moment's notice.
Speaker 2: You just call in.
Speaker 1: It's totally free, and they will talk with you about a lot of different things, especially things that have to do with like recovering from religion or religious I can't remember.
Speaker 2: What the name of that place was, Daryl, do you remember what?
Speaker 7: Oh, I know, you're just you're you're you're pulling my leg recovering for religion. Of course, that's haarrah haarrah. I went underlined stuff that you are doing the right stuff, as Elliott said, you're doing the right stuff. Keep keep the lines of responsibility crystal clear, and you will actually help your husband better and more than if then if you wouldn't sit down with his parents or any other option, which is clearly not a good option, by the way, And I love your attitude. You're it's discouraging to watch. I totally understand that. I'm I'm guessing many of the people listening to us right now. I've gone through something like this because families really do put religion. I gave a talk hero I gave a talk sometime back in London about religious trauma and one of the key things that people face when they're dealing with religious issues is the attachment parental attachment or detachment. What we see in many cases is religious parents are more attached to their religion than they are to their kids. Think about that. I'm more attached to Jesus than abdemoon children. And what your husband's parents are doing is they are making a choice to choose their religion over their child. That is a part of the brain. The attachment part of the brain is what's being affected there. And they have inappropriately been attached to their Jesus as opposed to appropriately attached to their child. Let me stop. Does that make sense?
Speaker 10: That's really true because they I feel like they don't even know who he is, and especially with how much I've seen him grow through and support me through my deconversion. He's amazing, and I don't think that they know that. They see him as the little kids who's a.
Speaker 15: Body and a sinner rather than the amazing person that he is.
Speaker 7: Now you have just hit You've hit a great nail on the head there. They see him still as their child, don't they. They don't see him as their adult son. They see him as their still as their child, and they're still attached to that child in their own head. And when you try to get in and solve this problem, it just it will just mix the problem up more by supporting him. And by the way, it sounds like you've got a great partner there. I'm thank You're lucky stars. You've got somebody that's going to to stand by you. That's wonderful and upose he stood just behind you as well. So you guys are really creating a great bond, a great support system for each other. And don't let his parents affect that they're the ones that are still attached to their Jesus and not to their their son.
Speaker 2: And uh haarah I.
Speaker 1: I've asked people in the past whenever they've called in and they've they've had something like this, Because you know how much we love to push back on the religious claims and the Bible and all that stuff. But I think this type of call, this type of story is something that can really build some deep lasting connections in a community. So I mean, if you're cool with it, give us a call back and a little bit of time when when maybe you know you've tried some things or some things have worked, or or even if they didn't, you know, let let us know and remember that you've got a community here and you got some people that are rooting for you and stuff. I'm sure if you look at the chat right now on the live stream where wherever, wherever you're watching, h I'm sure there's a bunch of love being thrown out to you. So thank you so much for calling in today and sharing this, and I hope we get an update.
Speaker 2: I hope everything gets gets a little bit better.
Speaker 7: So if you need to talk to more, do call the helpline. We're always happy to talk to you.
Speaker 1: Recovering from religion data Org gets super easy, peasy, and they're they're there to listen and to talk and any like any time zone by the way, like they're I think like covering twenty three out of twenty four time zones, and some of those time zones is like mostly ocean, you guys, so think about that.
Speaker 2: Uh, thank you so much. Hair, I'm gonna I'm gonna let you go, and I'm gonna grab some of our other calls. Hopefully I don't Hopefully I don't drop you too fast, but I probably did so I'm very sorry. But h man, I I love that.
Speaker 1: I think that stuff is is so so important. We are all dealing with so much baggage, and you know, our nervous systems are just on high alert constantly, you know. So it Yeah, there is a lot for each of us to kind of kind of work through, and it can be really difficult, especially when you see people that you care about being hurt over and over by family members or close you know, close friends, or you know, colleagues at work. I have a I have a buddy got fired because he came out as atheists.
Speaker 16: You know.
Speaker 1: I have friends that have lost you know, all of their all of their connections, right, we we all have unfortunately. So but that's what we're here for, folks. We we are here as a community. We want to be there for you. And there are a lot of other really phenomenal places out there that that the ACA has worked with for a really long time, and there are just some beautiful, beautiful connections there. And in fact, speaking of beautifulness, there is a group of people that volunteer their time regularly to make this show happen, and that that is our incredible, wonderful crew. Could we get that crew cam up and see all those incredible look at this.
Speaker 2: We got a full freaking house tonight. That is a bunch of awesome freaking people.
Speaker 7: You guys.
Speaker 2: We got video.
Speaker 1: Operators, audio operators, note takers, call screeners, chet moderators, people that help keep the lights on at the building, people that read your emails and respond, people that plan huge, awesome twenty four hour livestream fundraiser events on May sixteenth, that's six pm Central time starting. Hint, hint, And if you want to be one of those awesome people, guess what you can do it. You can be a guest on one of our shows. You could even eventually become a host, or if you just really really love note taking and call screening and all these other wonderful things that are super important, we are always looking for people here that would like to be a part of the production.
Speaker 2: So very easy, just email volunteer at.
Speaker 1: Atheist Hyphencommunity dot org and some wonderful volunteer will get back to you and then after a little while, maybe you could be the one responding to all the brand new volunteers, and you get to say to them things like I remember the first time I was ever in discord with Greg and he yelled at me because he did.
Speaker 2: A bad job call screening. And I'm not saying he was wrong.
Speaker 1: I'm just saying some of the some of the four letter words he used were a little bit much. AnyWho, though we have we have some other things to talk.
Speaker 2: Don't don't let them see you cried. Don't let them see you cry. Don't let him see you cry. Okay, we're gonna go out. We're gonna go out to Washington real quick.
Speaker 1: We've got an atheist on the line, Big Urn, he him pronouns, wants to ask about if Jesus died for our sins, why are women still.
Speaker 2: Suffering the burden of original sin? Why?
Speaker 1: I like that one, big Ern. I think we all have some thoughts on that. How are you today?
Speaker 11: I'm doing good.
Speaker 8: How are you?
Speaker 11: It's good to see you and hear you again, and yeah, doctor Ray, I haven't seen you before, but it's nice to see you. And I guess I'm thoughts on leadership myself.
Speaker 1: There. Okay, awesome, Well, I'll give my quick.
Speaker 2: I know this is a little tongue in cheek, right, but I'll give my my quick.
Speaker 7: Okay.
Speaker 1: The reason why women are still suffering the burden of original sin is because God was actually lying from the beginning. Like we know in the story of Genesis, he said, once you eat from the tree, you will die that day.
Speaker 2: That doesn't happen, and.
Speaker 1: God was continuing to lie when in reality, God purposefully wanted to make the world so that women suffer. I just feel like that is a much more logical answer, Darryl, What do you.
Speaker 7: Think, man, Well, of course I'm a I'm a high priest or the Church of Flying Span Monsters, so I don't believe in sin, at least not in the way that the Christians believe in it. I'm kind of pissed because I think it's reverse. I think men are the ones that are suffering from original sin if there was one, because women could have multiple orgasms and we seem to only have like one or two, you know. So that's study. That's trick. That's the study.
Speaker 11: That's tan trick.
Speaker 1: This is great, This is great, Darryl. I don't think either of us will be asked back on this show. For a while, but we will, we will continue, we will power through this one because they can't just shut us off yet.
Speaker 2: Uh so, yeah, what give us?
Speaker 1: Give us some thoughts bigger and you said you had, You said you had some thoughts on secular leadership.
Speaker 8: Yeah, so my well, my thought.
Speaker 11: Well, first off, let's go back to the original sin Port. Yeah, I was raised by a drill sergeant. Father. He was a drill sergeant in the US Army. I was an army brider, lived all over the world, you know, as Twain said at one point after he was a bigot. He said, you know, the best enemy at the enemy of bigotry and racism his travel. But but anyway, I was raised by a drill sergeant who regularly drilled my ass with a belt. And and I thought, on that is, if my dad continually said I forgive you once a month while drilling my ass with a belt, I'd be like, why you know, or you know, every night, after nine months of carrying this big ass beer belly around, he's still like kicking me in the ass saying I forgive you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's pretty.
Speaker 1: Fucked up in Yeah, yeah, this might be this might be crazy, you guys, but I just had this thought, But it is possible that the Abrahamic religions are really misogynistic.
Speaker 2: I'm not I'm not sure, honestly.
Speaker 1: I might need to do a little more research, but it's it's starting to lean that way in my eyes now.
Speaker 8: I think they lift women up.
Speaker 3: You know that.
Speaker 1: We didn't have we didn't have equal rights and equal pay until until the Bible came.
Speaker 2: Along the way. We still don't have equal rights. But yeah, what what the what are your thoughts? Bigger? And on leadership and.
Speaker 15: Stuff so on that that goes down to each one of us.
Speaker 11: Individually as parents. As I was lucky enough to be able to take my son and walk into school every morning through most of his elementary days, and every morning we had a saying as we walk to school, what are we going to be today?
Speaker 7: A leader?
Speaker 11: How do we be a leader by showing respect? How do we show respect by being kind and nice and following the rules? You know, I mean these little things, these little lessons, and we repeat them every day, but they sink in there's nothing secular or there's nothing.
Speaker 7: Religious about that.
Speaker 11: There's nothing religious about setting an example. The number one thing about being a leader is setting the example and having good results come because of that example. Got Exampbell is what being a leader is. People see that and want to follow that. I remember at one point I had a boss in my early twenties just said I command respect, and I thought to myself, no, He said I demand respect, and I thought myself, nobody demands respect. You command respect by the example that you set. You know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Yeah? For sure? Yeah, Daryl, what are your thoughts on that?
Speaker 7: Well? I think I think I think you may have already taken the class, because isn't that what we talk about.
Speaker 8: I don't know.
Speaker 11: First, this is my first exposure to your doctor, Darryl. For you know, I think that's just more so coming from my dad. Even though my dad did beat the shit out of me and he taught me a lot of things not to do, he did teach me a lot of things to do and how to be, you know, how to set that example and how to how to be, how to have integrity and walk the walk and then also supprise those who walk the walk.
Speaker 7: The leader I've done. I do not endorse your dad's approach to childhood discipline, but besides that, I'll just do myself I'll just say that I've studied leadership my entire career. My entire career was built on leadership development, and I've studied a lot of military leaders and it's it's pretty clear what you see in in some of the best military leaders as they led from the front, not from the back, you know. And in the North North Africa Campaign and World War Two, the generals that got fired were the ones that tried to run the show from the back, and the ones.
Speaker 11: That got out there was also trying to run it from the front at the same time.
Speaker 13: He just had some some really bad views.
Speaker 7: Well he did, But I'm just saying leading from the front is of course it's dangerous, and in the army it's it's even more dangerous. But you're not you're not danger of your life when you're leading a secular group in Topeka, Kansas, like we heard from Sean. So there's no danger. The danger is your own perceived weakness. And if you just realize, okay, I'm out here, I'm going to put my example out here, You're much more likely to get followers than you are trying to tell people what to do, exactly, show.
Speaker 11: People exactly, let your enemies set the example for others not to follow. Yeah, if you look back to history, you were bringing up World War Two. But if you look back to history, going back to Alexander the Great, yes, he had those early victories against the Persians, but by the time he got to Babylon, they were opening the door for him. They were excited to be liberated from the Persians. By the time he got into Egypt, they were excited to be liberated from the persons. Finally, somebody who's suddenly examps, somebody's you know, winning those battles that we can't fight anymore, and we're willing to join that.
Speaker 2: So yeah, there's also in that way too.
Speaker 1: I will I will just just to add on to that, because I'm a big fan of history myself. The actual story of the Persian King Xerxes is a lot more like the things you're talking about than the way it's been presented. Unfortunately, unfortunately Herodotus really skewed our our our view of that. But the King Xerxes was insanely, insanely cool in a lot of ways in a time and place where everybody else was doing it, you know, completely different, And there there's a reason why throughout human history, there are just a handful of people that we really refer to as really really great leaders, and we even give them the title.
Speaker 2: The Great right. A couple of them actually, funny enough, come from Russia. How interesting is that?
Speaker 11: Yeah, Alexander didn't earn his, but he was also on her fifty years after Xerxes came in right, liberated much of Breeze from the tribalisms.
Speaker 2: Right right, right, right, It's super it's super interesting. And I agree.
Speaker 1: We find out that we find out that the narrative that we've been told a lot of times, like for instance, with the Cuban missile crisis and JFK, the story that we're told on that is one where standing up and telling other people what to do and pushing people around, that's what that's what makes the day, that's what that's what great leaders do.
Speaker 2: But in reality, what JFK was actually doing, which right right, what JFK.
Speaker 1: Was actually doing was was was negotiating regularly through his brother Robert, and and they they were talking. They were having lots and lots of compromises and concessions. And you know what, that's the story we needed told because that's what a real leader does leading by example, leading.
Speaker 11: From the front exactly. Thank you very much. It's great to see you again. Uh, doctor Daryl Ray, I'm gonna look into your content and.
Speaker 8: Thank you for having me on.
Speaker 7: Guys, you welcome, Thank you born.
Speaker 1: And there is a lot of uh, there's a lot of really really good stuff out there that you can find with doctor Daryl Ray on it. So you will have you will have a bunch of a bunch of homework and I'm sure you're gonna enjoy every minute of it.
Speaker 2: Man, thanks so much.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna drop you real quick and uh, you know what, no wrap up, no preamble, We're just going right into it.
Speaker 2: We're gonna grab Michelle in New York.
Speaker 1: She her pronouns is an agnostic and want some advice on completely letting go of God again. Darryl, I think this is your wheelhouse brother, soay, hey Michelle, you are on the atheist experience with secularity and Darryl.
Speaker 2: Ray, what is up?
Speaker 11: Hello?
Speaker 8: What example is a lot of things, And first I'd like to thank my Cord Julius and can Vivio call Screener for their wonderful help on the phone and getting me ready and preparing me for the calls or called que area where they were most gracious and wonderful, so big thanks and shut it out to them even though I didn't get their name.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thank you so much. Yeah, we do have a bunch of wonderful, wonderful volunteers here.
Speaker 1: So yeah, give us, give us some help us out set the scene for us a little bit and tell us kind of what maybe is still keeping you secularity.
Speaker 13: You did mention, and I just for for sake of the show.
Speaker 8: You did mention that people can work for the show is called screeners and whatnot?
Speaker 13: Can do that remote? Can they do that remotely?
Speaker 15: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I did.
Speaker 2: I did for years.
Speaker 1: I worked behind the scenes for a bunch of different shows here at the ACA, and I have always been in Tennessee. So absolutely, just email volunteer at Atheist dash community dot org and someone will reach out to you and and and start working with you.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Most of the people you see in the crew cam are spread out, some some in different states, some in different countries.
Speaker 13: Wow, you guys, get around you doctor jail Ray secularity.
Speaker 8: I'm switching off you and I'm going there tell Ray, but I'd like because you inspire.
Speaker 13: Me during the last couple of calls, and I got some gold nuggets to show. I got some go boolli in to share with you guys.
Speaker 8: Heck yeah, I love it some in a psyche department.
Speaker 7: Okay, go for it.
Speaker 6: You are the doctor?
Speaker 13: Are you not the doctor?
Speaker 1: Right now?
Speaker 13: You're the doctor, because I'm the only doctor I'm talking to you.
Speaker 8: You got to be the.
Speaker 7: Doctor right well for now, I guess that's true.
Speaker 8: And i'd say your doctorate, since I've seen you on multiple occasions, i'd see your doctorate must be in a little bit of everything, because you know a little bit about everything.
Speaker 7: Well, I'm seventy five years old. I've had a little time just daddy, So that's problem been part of it. Tell us, tell us about what your concern is. Tell us about your concerned.
Speaker 13: I started my deacon, I started in my deconstruction process a long time ago, and I got start.
Speaker 8: I got started in the fundamentalist Christian, Charismatic, Pentecostal Baptist. My former my former men spiritual mentor who broke my heart personally in several different ways because he turned out that he became a not a nice gentleman in.
Speaker 13: His later middle in later years, let's.
Speaker 8: Say, really just kind of got me down this deconstruction path. And I said, God, I mean there's a song to God. I said, you know, I mean he put me in his wife and he said he was gonna bring me up in his.
Speaker 13: Church in his department, and and I would.
Speaker 8: Follow after him. And that didn't happen.
Speaker 13: Was that you or him?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 15: Was that?
Speaker 13: Did I miss it?
Speaker 8: I thought I heard from you? Like, so then I'm like thinking that I'm get to reading about this stuff. And now some people believe, like Carol Yung and Freud believes that God like was just an archetypical thing in your psyche, and that when you were hearing from God, you were simply hearing from a part of your own psyche and your own awareness and your own cognitiocence and consciousness, if you will. And I'm sure you know that very well.
Speaker 7: All about that, doctor.
Speaker 8: Ray so like and even now on the phone listening to you guys speak, I'm like, I can, Okay, Well, I had I had this love affair with a beautiful woman.
Speaker 13: And I don't mean like she was married.
Speaker 8: I mean it was just a big love to do, like an affair like a fair and I carried the torch and the candle for her for.
Speaker 13: About twenty years, and then it was just eating me alive inside.
Speaker 8: And I said, I have to do something about this, otherwise I won't have any more so I won't have any successful relationships.
Speaker 13: And I said, I choose out loud.
Speaker 8: I said, I choose not to love her any more. I choose not to love her anymore.
Speaker 13: And then I called that. I called her out by need.
Speaker 8: And then initially immediately I felt that wave of ease come over me.
Speaker 13: And I was like, I don't love her anymore.
Speaker 7: Good was good?
Speaker 6: And then.
Speaker 7: Are you are you let me let me? I know we've gotten short on time, so I don't want to short you. I want to understand, but I also want to make sure we keep going.
Speaker 11: Here.
Speaker 7: Are you making the parallel with letting go of God the same as letting go of this woman?
Speaker 13: Yes, you got okay, right that doctor right okay? And then MiG we knew you would.
Speaker 7: So you are you are saying I was able to let go of this woman, but I can't seem to let go of God. Is that what you're saying?
Speaker 8: Well, during the conversation that you two were having with the gentleman and the young lady with her husband and they're living their the construction. I was thinking, maybe I need and it never dawned on me, and I said, maybe I need to do the same thing with God.
Speaker 7: Maybe that there you go, there you go. So let me let me throw out some let me throw out some ideas here because I'm really interested. I'm one of my biggest interest is how religion impacts our brain. And I mentioned in that previous call, which may have been what what motivated you a little bit, is that our attachment systems are active, and our attachment systems are activated to attached to children and to our partners, our spouses and such. And that is an appropriate use of the attachment system. As humans, attachments really really important to us. As we thrive with attachment, we don't thrive without it as nearly as much so what you but the problem is with religion is religion gets our brains to attach to our invisible friend, God in this case, and once you're attached to that, detaching is painful and it's difficult. Just like you found with the woman. You were attached to that woman, but detaching caused pain and it took you a long time.
Speaker 16: I can tell you, I can tell you what I love for God that I still love her, and I'll tell you why. I tell you why, Doctor Ray. I felt there's tears. I felt they're slow dripping tears fall on my bear chest, Doctor Ray.
Speaker 7: Each one of.
Speaker 16: Those tears I could still fill them now like nails and my chest like morvel blades and my chest, Doctor Ray, the words will still.
Speaker 7: That's the wound of attachment. And I'm I'm totally feel you. I understand, and I'm sorry to see you still suffering because it's not easy to detach from a living human being.
Speaker 13: I'm so glad you're married, doctor Ray. And how a happy marriage?
Speaker 8: I really am, I mean, and I needed that thought just now.
Speaker 13: I'm like, well, doctor Ray, is a happy marriage? Maybe one day I should.
Speaker 15: And so one only I could get over this pod.
Speaker 7: It's sometimes it's really difficult, and I will uh no, I'm sorry, glad. Yeah, it's it's difficult to to detach. It's very easy to attach. Our brains and our bodies are made to attach. We've got a great attachment system going on, but our brains and bodies are not designed to detach. And that's what I hear you suffering with is how do I detach from this the memory because you're no longer involved with this person, but yet the memory still is attached, if you will in some ways. Let me throw this suggestion out here. You're not involved with this woman anymore, am I correct?
Speaker 11: No?
Speaker 8: I mean that's all too a couple of times, handful of time over the years.
Speaker 7: Okay, So think about this. She is an invisible being, just like God is an invisible being. Yet you're still attached to the invisible being that you no longer have a physical relationship with. Yeah, that makes sense. You are carrying the invisible being of this woman, and you're carrying the invisible being of God, and both you feel the attachment for and cannot and are having difficulty. I would say this, call or go to the Secular Therapy Project dot org and find a good therapist. We've got therapists, did I hear hear from New York? Yeah? We got We probably got sixty or seventy therapists in New York, in New York City and in the state.
Speaker 8: And I can't afford a doctor. I can't afford you that kind of therapy. I've already looked into it.
Speaker 7: Okay, how much can you afford to suffer? How many more years do you want to suffer?
Speaker 8: I'd be a sad question to answered, doctor A, because I'm afraid you might already know what what with you guess an idea writer and a poet and an artist. By now, I mean you must offering for.
Speaker 11: Me, are.
Speaker 7: Well without myst offering when people say, when people say they can't afford to get help, that's why it's your pocket book. But do remember you're you've already suffered for years over this. What is suffering worth? Right?
Speaker 13: I don't know, doctor Ray. And that's the other sort of the coin. But here's here's the thing. I think I can help a lot of people.
Speaker 8: I think I can help a lot of people with saying this one thing that I reverberated back into my consciousness when I said, why can't I do the same thing with God? If I could do it with her? And even now when I do it with her, because I have to make sometimes even a daily practice of it. Sometimes now that May, especially now that May is coming up in spring, because it was a spring May low.
Speaker 10: So.
Speaker 8: You know, and I said, I choose not to believe in God anymore.
Speaker 13: And I'm like, I could do that. I choose not to believe in God anymore.
Speaker 8: I could do that, and I choose not to believe in you, God anymore. I choose not to believe in you any little anymore. And then I heard a small voice inside me say, I choose not to believe in me or myself anymore. And then it just ultimately leaves me at the thought that my the archetype inside my head, I am God.
Speaker 15: God is dead.
Speaker 13: Therefore God is dead.
Speaker 8: Or he never existed to begin with, who knows? That's fine and agnostic.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'll I'll say one one thing here to wrap up this call Michelle, that I I definitely didn't come up with this thought. And I remember when I was going through a deconstruction phase many years ago, and I heard somebody say this probably on the atheist experience, to be honest, But there's all there's these moments in our lives, especially when we're religious, where we tell ourselves, I can't do it, I'm not capable. If only if only God were here, if only Jesus would would lift this burden off of me, or this religious mindset would would help calm me down and then funny enough, we find.
Speaker 2: That we can do the thing right.
Speaker 1: We are able to get through whatever the difficult time is. And at that moment when we're when our minds are still so locked in this religion, we tell ourselves there's no way we could have done it had it not been for the beauty and majesty and power of God or his son Jesus Christ. But one of the coolest fucking things I realized after stepping away from religion, it was always me.
Speaker 2: It's always been you, Michelle.
Speaker 1: That stuff has never been there, and you're the reason that you have made it through every hardship in your life, and you're gonna be the reason that you make it through the next one. No God, no supernatural, no aliens, no, none of that shit. It's you and that that is fricking power. And I will I will absolutely echo doctor Daryl Ray and saying, you know, if you can, please reach out to the Secular Therapy Project Recovering from religion. It's free to call in to the to the helpline there, and they have some trained people there.
Speaker 2: They're not therapists. It's not the same as secular therapy.
Speaker 1: So definitely secular therapy project is going to be super helpful for those deeper and longer term things. But remember, Michelle, and I know I've talked with you before, and I know you've called in a bunch, and just remember this is your community, just like Harah, and we want to hear some updates. We want to know how things are going. And you've got a bunch of love coming for you in the chat. And again remember you too could could be a volunteer if you wanted. That's how I started. Just some idiot in the chat and I reached out and they said, well, well I guess you'll work, and uh, and here we are.
Speaker 2: But thank you, thank you so much, Michelle.
Speaker 1: I'm so sorry that I'm gonna have to drop you real quick, but I really really do appreciate you calling in and I hope.
Speaker 2: We get some updates soon.
Speaker 1: So that is always an awesome, awesome opportunity for us to just connect with our people and just share in some of those difficult times.
Speaker 2: You know that that's what a community's for. It's not just for the good times and the parties.
Speaker 1: It's for when our house falls down or when we're having, you know, some some difficult weeks.
Speaker 2: So let's raw, raw men, raw men. Indeed, yes, yes, on this holiest of days.
Speaker 1: Let me read a couple of these awesome super chats. We got four ninety nine coming in from Clash two three four seven, been a member for one year, saying doctor Ray spitting facts on parents loving religion more than their children. I'm in a very similar situation. Yeah, I get that clash. I know a lot of people like that as well too. And that was I love that line so much. The parents love the religion more than they love their children.
Speaker 11: Ooh ooh.
Speaker 1: We got one ninety nine coming in from the awesome l Tree fitty six sixty six saying, hey, hey, happy zombie Jesus Day. That's right, folks, Happy zombie Jesus Day. Eat your crackers if you want, or your chocolate. And then we got one more. We got five dollars coming in from a member for one years. I am m four c There's something there that I'm not getting. There is something here that I'm not seeing, So I'm very sorry. I probably butchered to Dave. It's probably very smart and it is just over my head. But they say, fan of the show, can you mention where to get the flyers to invite believers to call in. Yeah, there might actually be some watchers out there that don't know that these exist, and here they are on screen right now, And the easiest way to do that is just go to atheistiphencommunity dot org. You go right to the website and then you can find that downloadable flyer and you can post it up anywhere that is allowed to. Okay, guys, don't just start being an asshole and just posting this everywhere, like, actually, make sure you get permission from the places that.
Speaker 2: You're gonna do this for.
Speaker 1: But yeah, otherwise, I mean, other than that, go go go crazy, guys, go print out, you know, ship tons of them and get some people to call in.
Speaker 2: And speaking of calls, we had.
Speaker 1: We had a really cool call right at the beginning that myself and our wonderful backup host Sophia got to take part in.
Speaker 2: Hey here you are again?
Speaker 5: Hello can you hear?
Speaker 7: So good to have you back on?
Speaker 2: Yeah, what what did you think? Give us? Give us some thoughts for the show today.
Speaker 3: I really love watching you doctor ray do so you know, I also work on mental health and I was just you know, Elliott's messaging, Oh do you want to jump in on this call, and I'm like, no, I'm just listening and learning.
Speaker 5: This is so good.
Speaker 7: So thank you.
Speaker 5: Uh, that was very very cool to get to see.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I mean, I feel like a lot of folks are struggling more or less in isolation. They don't necessarily realize there's other people who are going through the same kind of not just deconstruction process, but the same challenges with family, because I think a lot of the time, particularly if or from a family that's never made like a big deal about religion, it's not expected that they'll respond as negatively as they as they end up doing. If they if feud convert, you know, it's thought like, oh, well, we weren't that into it anyway, or you know, whatever that might be, and then it becomes a huge deal and it can become so contentious. It feels like you get these tests when you know, I know I'm not the first one to say this, but when you're leaving religion, suddenly you need to know every answer and have the perfect, you know, reason to leave when just staying feels so easy, or like you could just you know, not tell anybody or stay incognito about it. Or people ask why you have to make such a big deal about it when really it's just you sharing your lived experience.
Speaker 2: Now, yeah, definitely, and it is.
Speaker 1: It's it's it is one of the biggest things that we deal with in this space, and it is honestly, it is connected to I think at least there is a through line from that to the connection when it comes to struggles that we have found in our space building ritual and building communities and organizations. Because the moment you start passing a plate around at an atheist gathering, everybody says it's like tithing. You know, the moment you the moment you just ask everybody to stand up and just join in singing a song, even though it's it's it's fricking you know.
Speaker 2: Send me on my way, you know, that's silly.
Speaker 1: Little like you get somebody, you get them to stand up, they go, ah, this is seals too churchy, you know. And I get it that trauma is is huge. That affects all of us in so so many ways. But that's why the secular therapy project and recovering.
Speaker 2: From religion exists, y'all. That's what we got this souff for.
Speaker 1: Let's utilize the avenues and the resources already in our awesome communities.
Speaker 7: You know, we have a we have a little thought thought experiment we asked people to do when with these kind of issues come up, and that is we tell people that your brain has neural pathways, and those neural pathways are built over time, over and over and over again until you just do them automatically. Like you know, I know how to drive my car automatically. I didn't know that when I was fifteen years old, but I do now. So the neural pathways are really solid. Unfortunately, the brain can create neural pathways that are bad for you, like religious ideas, and when those religious things get stimulated in your brain, then the brain automatically goes down that pathway and you don't realize you're halfway down the pathway of being triggered by a song you heard on the radio, religious song, or your parents call you up and say Happy Easter and you want to yell at them or whatever. But it's so. What we try to teach people, even in a non therapeutic environment is challenge those pathways and redirect the pathways and just keep practicing. When I hear that song I'm going to not let that go any farther. I'm going to turn I'm going to do another pathway to it. That's my old life. I'm now living a new life that is actually creating a new pathway. And there's other things you can do, of course, but I think the neurological pathways thing is really helpful for many people once they realize that they they're in control of those pathways. It doesn't feel like you are, but once you realize, oh, that's just one of those pathways I got when I still was in church, I'm going to change that. You take a little control over your own life that way.
Speaker 1: I love that, and I think that that is the perfect segue into you telling everybody one more time what this awesome new initiative you have started, and why this is so valuable, and just how everybody can go out out there and either take the class themselves or help support this cause.
Speaker 2: So that we can build the next generation of leaders.
Speaker 7: Just go to Secular Leadership dot org. You'll see all the stuff about the course and why we're trying to do it. My goal is to My goal is to train one thousand leaders in the next ten years, and that is going to be hard, but we're going to get it done. And we've already got several people right in there helping us. I'm going to train people and how to train this stuff. I will stay in charge. I think it's going to take us about three years to get there. But here's the deal. Every church on every church. You can go down the street in my house and find twelve churches within a mile of my house, and every one of those churches has some kind of a leadership program. All I'm trying to do, and all we're trying to do is not just Darrel, It's a whole group of people. We're trying to say, Look, we got to get out there and teach leadership just like churches do. Only leadership is based on true, evidence based secular practices that are best practices. That's and it's important because we want to grow. And I have been so frustrated. I've been involved in the sector secutor of movement for twenty years, and I'm frustrated because we are not growing as much as we could be. We've got lots of people out there that are dying to get good leadership, and they will follow good leadership if we just provide that for them.
Speaker 3: So yeah, and if you're a really girl, you can do it also, unlike in a church where.
Speaker 5: I'm ever allowed.
Speaker 7: So yeah, absolutely.
Speaker 5: I was told I could be a deaconess and I said, well, what does that mean? What do they do? And they're like, well, they organized fellowship. I'm like, they make the cookies that they make for your day, that's what I'm allowed to do. Cool things.
Speaker 7: Well, half of our class was female, half was male, and that's the way we like it.
Speaker 3: There you go.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think there's a real difference in the way males and typically lead, but both are effective. But we still there's still best practices regardless of what you're you're you claim, you claim or you ask propose in terms of gender or whatever.
Speaker 1: We and these again, like you're saying, these are things that yes, have been utilized in a religious or or a church space for a long time, but not because they have a damn thing to do with religion or the supernatural. It's because they are effective practices that work when it comes to leading people and getting results, and that is what we need in this space. So I am just I am super duper thrilled because Darryl I was really happy to be on here with you and help get this out there to people. I was so excited to be a part of the first cohort, and again I am going to be coming back for the next round because I genuinely believe in this cause. And I hope a bunch of you wonderful people out there hanging with us, whether it's TikTok or YouTube's or you're seeing clips of this on Twitter or Reddit or whatever the kids are doing these days, I sure as fuck don't know, but thank you all so much for hanging out with us. Please go check out the Secular Leadership dot org. Please go check out Recovering from Religion and Secular Therapy Project, And don't forget that there are a thousand frickin ways that you can get involved in this wonderful community right here at the Atheist Community of Austin. But we're done for today, so I'm supposed to say the nice things about wrapping up and how we'll see you all here shortly.
Speaker 2: Don't forget to like and subscribe and share it to your friends and tell your neighbors about it.
Speaker 1: And I don't know your dog too, I don't know who you talk to, but we'll be back at four thirty pm Central Time next Sunday. And I don't know if there's something I'm forgetting, but hopefully at some point we'll just kind of end the show. It'll just happen naturally.
Speaker 2: We won't even.
Speaker 8: Realize it's start.
Speaker 14: Hartt Question.
Speaker 9: Shim around You by.
Speaker 2: The watch Talk Even live Sundays at one pm Central.
Speaker 1: Visit tiny dot c c slash y t t H and call into the show at five one two nine nine one nine two four two, or connect to the show online at tiny dot c c slash call th H