Speaker 1: Hudson River Radio dot com.
Speaker 2: Yum yo, how does Sasa Jonnifer Leasberry Jukes.
Speaker 3: Hey, this is Tom Chapin.
Speaker 4: Hello, just preaching in Rock and Roll History Show.
Speaker 5: You're listening right now.
Speaker 6: Welcome to the latest installment of the Rock and Roll History Show. And no, I did not kidnap Brian and lock him in a closet. He's here, but they're going to torture me today, so I get to leave the show. Fun, fun, fun. Every so often we do an episode where it's all about songs with an instrument that one of us hates, and we've already done Barbara with the ukulele and Mercedes with the harp. So now it's my turn. And what instrument do I usually hate to hear? Harmonic? Before we get started, let me introduce the Corimbos. Let's start with our usual host Ryan. Ryan used to play bass by ear, but he's doing much better now because he's switched to using his hands. Go. Neil heard a rumor about butter, but he decided not to spread it.
Speaker 7: People lies or lies, and you do everybody.
Speaker 6: Mercedes from Silver Screen saw a skeleton walk into a bar and she wanted to see what happened. The skeleton said to the bartender, a bartender, I'll have one beer and a mop.
Speaker 3: Yes, hey, everybody.
Speaker 6: Barbara feel from shaving cream. She saw a snowman throwing a tantrum. It was a real meltdown.
Speaker 1: Oh good one.
Speaker 8: Gil and.
Speaker 6: A retired teacher John got carded at a liquor store and he went to take out his license from his wallet and his Blockbuster card fell out by mistake. The cashier said, never mind.
Speaker 9: You know, Blockbuster brings brings up a lot of good.
Speaker 10: Running to Blockbuster to get that, uh, you know, the latest release before the you know, thirty other people went clamber to get it as well.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it was fun.
Speaker 4: It was you know, adjacent to go into the record store.
Speaker 9: Yeah, all the time. Yeah, you go to block.
Speaker 10: At a Blockbuster, go to the record store, grab a slice, grab some pizza.
Speaker 9: Bring it home.
Speaker 6: Yeah, popcorn.
Speaker 9: Yeah, good times.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Now you scroll endless screens on Netflix going nah yeah doom.
Speaker 10: Scroll for like three hours trying to find something.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I don't I don't have any of the streaming channels, so I don't even know like how that is. But anyway, so before we get started with the songs, one of which I actually really love, so it's not going to be torturing me at all in spite of the harmonica. Uh, let's talk a little bit about harmonic, because it's considered a loose reed instrument, and these poor people. Loose read instruments not to be confused with lou reed instruments, date back to China around eleven hundred BC. Oh my god, they tortured people even back then. What we would recognize as a mouth organ. I'd rather have a kidney or liver, thank you. Dates to around eighteen twenty when it spread around Europe, Oh God help them, and into the US. Oh no, And that's when the evil began. It was fun, huh. That's subjective, portable, and relatively inexpensive. A German clock maker named Matthias Hohner started the Honer Company in eighteen fifty seven when he realized that custom clocks were fading in popularity. Personally, I think a custom clock would be really cool, much less annoying, sound wise.
Speaker 9: Way more expensive.
Speaker 6: Yeah. He started selling harmonicas in Germany, those poor people, and it found out.
Speaker 9: From there they.
Speaker 6: Are still by far the biggest selling brand. It's popularity. Soword after World War One and lasted through World War Two, and a lot of these old World War One movies you see these guys, one guy is sitting around mournfully playing the harmonica.
Speaker 2: A lot of Western a lot of Western movies have that. Well, yeah, you guys.
Speaker 1: Sitting cowboy by the fire.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, that's what I'm talking about.
Speaker 6: So the popularity lasted through World War II, when it faded a bit, thanks be to God, but came back in the folk music revival of the nineteen sixties, which is why I am mostly not a folk music.
Speaker 4: You might want to be kind of grateful because it got Bob Billin to stop singing for a minute.
Speaker 6: Oh goodness. So I believe that. First to start out is Neil.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, I will ask a rhetorical question before we start into Gail. Is that I mean, you've professed here on the Rock and Roll History Show your love of the blues and the harmonica is like, it's like the number one instrument in blues and and and you don't you don't have to answer.
Speaker 6: I'm just like, it's no, I can explain it totally.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 6: It depends on the type of harmonica playing. If it's the high pitched shrieky like some of Stevie Wonders music has that type the high pitched, shrieky, kind of gritty sounding harmonica. Hate it, absolutely hate it. It literally is physically disturbing to me.
Speaker 2: Okay, now, let just you know we.
Speaker 4: Should want you to pick Stevie wonder Then.
Speaker 2: I want you to make sure I want you to that you don't have ear plugs inside your headphones. That's cheating. You have to listen. You have to listen.
Speaker 6: Rats. I thought I had the situation solved.
Speaker 2: Well, I'll tell you because when the topic of torture or the torture topic of the harmonica came up, when it was first mentioned, I immediately thought of the Jay Giles band. Now, not the Jay Giles band that dominated the early nineteen eighties MTV charts with a mainstream, semi new wave commercial sound. Oh no, no, no, no, I'm I'm talking about the Jay Giles band that I saw back in the early nineteen seventies as a young high school teenager at places like the Fillmore East and the Academy of Music down in Manhattan in New York City. A simple R and B influenced blues rock group that just happened to kick major ass. Okay, let's talk about them. The Jay Giles Band were formed in Boston or the Boston area in nineteen sixty seven. Original members included the band's namesake, John Giles but you can call him Jay On guitar, singer and frontman extraordinaire Peter Wolfe, keyboardist Seth Justman, bassist Danny Klein, drummer Stephen Joe Blad and the man at the center of our topic today, mister Richard Solwitz, but you can call him Magic Dick or as Peter wolf would call him magic Dick on the licking stick. And I knew you'd like that, and we'll have more about him later. But The Jay Giles Band released their eponymously titled debut album in late nineteen seventy and although the song We're about to hear called Whammer Jammer didn't appear until their second album, called The Morning After, which was released in late nineteen seventy one, it was already a staple of their live shows, and it would later appear on a live LP called Full House in nineteen seventy two. Now generally the main focus of the band was there, flamboyant frontman Peter Wolf with his rapid fire between song banter and his swagger like Mick Jagger. But on this song an instrumental, no words, it's whammer jammer, where Magic Dick took center stage.
Speaker 11: Sometimes drinking hand comes shrinking hand time, baking, Baking had story entire tab.
Speaker 12: The root sign, the rock.
Speaker 11: Your cap, your cap saying since thank you?
Speaker 7: Seconds All right, Gail, let's hear it.
Speaker 2: What is your reaction to wamma jammer?
Speaker 6: I'd rather not ever hear it again?
Speaker 2: If people at home listening at home, If if you could see her, it looked like she was We were watching her, Yes, a big bite out of a lemon.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're watching her face contort all through that.
Speaker 10: It was Yes, that was a lot of fun.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 2: It is it rocks? Oh yeah, oh yeah.
Speaker 6: It was a little easier to handle when the other instruments came in too, so I wasn't just listening to shrieking air.
Speaker 4: If we had turned down the volume on our headphones, we could tell the pitch of the harmonica by the scrunch on Gail's face.
Speaker 6: Yes, yes, yeah, I don't even have to say anything, Mike gooms my face has subtitles.
Speaker 4: If we ever played poker, Invite Gael.
Speaker 6: At this point in my life, I wouldn't even be able to remember the rules of this state.
Speaker 2: So let's get back to Magic Dick, like I said before. Okay. He was born in New London, Connecticut, in nineteen forty five. In addition to the harmonica, he also plays the trumpet and the saxophone, and in nineteen seventy nine, music critic Dave Marsh described Magic Dick as quote possibly the best white musician to ever play blues harmonica. Now I take a little lumberge, I would say simply he was the best musician period to play blues harmonica, or at least one of them. But I'll get off my soapbox. Magic Dick also co created a harmonica design called appropriately the Magic Harmonica, and he's still based in the Boston area and he is a member of the Cambridge Harmonica Orchestra. Gail, you want to get tickets? Oh god, I'll take that as a yes.
Speaker 6: Okay, What an abomination road trip?
Speaker 4: How I really feel?
Speaker 11: No?
Speaker 4: No, no, no, no no no.
Speaker 2: The Cambridge Harmonica Orchestra front row, all right, the Jay Giles band did have several top forty singles in the early nineteen seventies, but as I mentioned earlier, the majority of their success came in the nineteen eighties, with hits like Freeze, Frames, Centerfold and of Course Loves Things So hey, you know, and I'll say I like those records too, but I was always partial to the earlier stuff because that's what I heard first. So just to say, you know, everybody knows my eighties bias somewhat, but no, I'd like those songs too, so don't worry. So but what does a band do after striving for years to reach the top and they finally make it in the nineteen eighties, what do they do?
Speaker 6: Stop making shrieking sounds?
Speaker 2: No? They break up? Of course? What do you think? Peter Wolf left the band in nineteen eighty three to pursue a solo career. The band did release one more album without Wolf in nineteen eighty four, before breaking up for good in nineteen eighty five, But beginning in nineteen ninety nine, the band did get back together for several reunion tours with and without Jay Giles, the latter resulting in a bitter lawsuit over the use of the guitarist name, as you might think, being that the Jay Giles Band did not have a Jay Giles in them at that point. Anyway, Sadly, J Giles himself passed away in twenty seventeen. Now, the Jay Giles Band, they were nominated for induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, not once, not twice, five different times, but were not voted in on any of those attempts. So that I find that criminal. I find that felonious. I find that is why I don't really take much stock in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, because that's crazy that they and the people that they do induct. No, no, this is there is no justice. But as I also mentioned, I did get to see the band live a number of times throughout the nineteen seventies, and they always were incredible. Peter Wolf is out there too. I've seen him solo and he's incredible. And I also got to see Magic Dick perform along with a guitarist named Seun Eng as an acoustic duo and they were great. That was up at Daryl's house in paul in, New York, and that was back in twenty nineteen. So he's still out there playing too, So get out there and catch these people. That's all I can say.
Speaker 6: And Gail, I hope you liked it well, Neil, that was interesting.
Speaker 2: Nice. I can see how happy you are.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm surprised you don't have alcohol in front.
Speaker 12: Of you right now.
Speaker 6: I do have a bottle of wine in the other room. I should go get it. So John, what do you have?
Speaker 8: Okay?
Speaker 9: I don't know you.
Speaker 10: You might like this, you might not because there's a lot of harmonica in it, but there's also a lot of guitar in it as well, so the selection is a little long tonight.
Speaker 8: It's the work song.
Speaker 10: By the late great Paul Butterfield and the Paul Butterfield Blues Band from nineteen sixty six. It was from their East West, their second album, East West, released in August of that year. And Paul Butterfield does the harmonica and Mike Bloomfield does the guitar, and I think this is a classic. It's a bit of a long one. So I think we're gonna do about three three and a half minutes and then we're gonna kind of fade out from there, and then I'll just say tell you a little bit, a little bit of a teaser after that as well.
Speaker 8: So, Gail, I.
Speaker 10: Hope you enjoy this little this little blues selection Butterfield blues band.
Speaker 8: So enjoys.
Speaker 12: Sn the style montas.
Speaker 10: Sometimes okay, And that was the work song by Paul Butterfield and Mike Bloomfield.
Speaker 9: Great song.
Speaker 8: Uh, it's got a great beat.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 10: It goes on for about seven and a half minutes scales, so there's a lot more after that. So uh, we were kind enough to only give you about three and a half minutes.
Speaker 6: There, but thank you. Actually I liked the guitars and the percussion and the keyboard.
Speaker 9: Yes, it's it's it's got a lot of bass.
Speaker 4: Hello, sorry the bass, yes, the back all right, then, whether you meant it or not, you have to say it. It's got a lot to it.
Speaker 2: Well, that was They were a good band.
Speaker 10: That a really great I mean, and to think what they could have achieved had both Bloomfield and Butterfield not engaged in a lot of recreational pharmacology, which led to their demise. Mister Butterfield nineteen eighty seven in Bloomfield in eighty one, I believe. So again, it's a great piece of music, but gone too soon.
Speaker 2: So but hope you know, I know this will shock you, But I did get to see a later version of the Butterfly Field Blues Band, not the one we just heard right, probably just a couple of years later. It was probably around nineteen seventy one. Yeah, but they were still great. Yeah, it was still the same groove going there.
Speaker 10: That kind of music is a kind of music I would love to just listen to in like a smoky bar somewhere, you know, and just.
Speaker 9: I don't know.
Speaker 6: You obviously don't have asthma like I do, well.
Speaker 10: I could do that pretty bad lung problems, but still would have been a fun thing to just kind of just kick back and hill with a drink in hand and a low key kind of.
Speaker 4: Smoky bar and just kind of take in that harmonica. It's the kind of thing I think, even if you don't necessarily like it, when it's live.
Speaker 9: For some reason, it just hits better.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, exactly play it, you know.
Speaker 8: No, you're right, You're you're right, Brian.
Speaker 10: It's just I could see enjoying that down in Pyramont at what's the club down in Pyramount? We go to uh point yes, I would love I would love to hear somebody do that kind of a do a remake of it at the turning point. That'd be a lot of fun, I really would So anyway.
Speaker 9: I hope you all enjoyed it.
Speaker 8: Gail, it was a pleasure to uh.
Speaker 6: All right, well I survived that one. But we need to take a very quick break.
Speaker 9: What's the the River Radio?
Speaker 8: Your dog likes us.
Speaker 6: This concludes the first part of this cassette.
Speaker 3: Please turn the cassette over and begin again on side too. This is Hudson River Radio dot Com.
Speaker 11: A y.
Speaker 6: All right, so we're back at the middle section of today's Rock and Roll History Show episode where my fellow crambones are torturing me with songs of my least favorite instrument, the harmonica. Up next is Barbara. What do you have to drive me nuts? Barbara?
Speaker 1: First, I want to say when you were telling us the story of the Harmonica, I loved your little commentary. That is excellent.
Speaker 9: The poor Chinese.
Speaker 6: Oh my gods, wait wait till you see Sunday at church, I have to give a talk on St. Teresa of Avola, and I put little things like that in there. When I'm giving my talks about saints, and I think that's why everybody shows up when we only have morning prayer and I'm the one doing it.
Speaker 4: Gone, Jesus may have suffered, but I had to listen to the harmonica.
Speaker 13: No.
Speaker 6: No, I usually start out saints, Who are they, what do they do? And why do we like them?
Speaker 1: Excellent? Excellent. So besides saying that praise on your commentary, the second thing I wanted.
Speaker 4: To say is more.
Speaker 1: And the song I chose to torture Gale for today's theme is called I Want My Mama and it's by Salty Holmes. Born Floyd Holmes on March sixth, nineteen ten in Kentucky. He played jug and guitar, but was famous for his harmonica playing. He specialized in the style called talking harp, in which the harmonica sounds like a human voice. Oh joy, I'm twirling my imaginary mustache right now. Holmes formed the group the Kentucky Ramblers in nineteen thirty, but they changed their name to the Prairie Ramblers three years later and began broadcasting on WLSAM in Chicago. I Want My Mama was recorded during the nineteen forties, but I could not find an exact date, despite searching multiple sites. The recording we Will Hear was included on the two thousand and five compilation album Harmonica Masters, which I'll be gifting to Gail next Christmas.
Speaker 4: She needs another coaster, don't waste the money.
Speaker 1: Out of all harmonica songs, I chose this one especially for Gail because not only does it feature the dreaded harmonica, but Holmes makes it sound like a child crying.
Speaker 6: I want my.
Speaker 1: Let the torture begin.
Speaker 6: Harmonica and crying children, do I know?
Speaker 7: Gil? And no Gail.
Speaker 6: Lame from.
Speaker 11: No No no no.
Speaker 8: M m m.
Speaker 12: M la La La from no no no no no no no no no.
Speaker 11: L l la la la.
Speaker 13: La la la la la la la la la la la la.
Speaker 6: La la l l l l l l l l l l l l la l.
Speaker 11: L l l l l l l l l l l l.
Speaker 6: L l l l la la la la la.
Speaker 12: La la la la la la la la.
Speaker 13: La la la la.
Speaker 11: La la lo lo lo.
Speaker 1: Okay, before I proceed, Gail, what say you?
Speaker 6: That was interesting?
Speaker 1: I cringe.
Speaker 6: I like the old timy sounds. I do too. I swear they don't have talent like that nowadays. That could do the same thing. It was fascinating to me to figure out or try to figure out how the performer was making those sounds, the quick inhale exhale things. I could maybe do that twice and then I would need my asthma inhaler. So I'm surprised. You know, maybe he had an oxygen tank waiting for when he was done. I don't know.
Speaker 1: My tombstone would actually say died by playing harmonica too fast.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it's like a ditchery too, isn't it Like you breathe in and out at the same time.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you get you get different sounds.
Speaker 3: Breath.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's that's what you do when your coffee is too high, pretty much.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean the harmonica is actually it's not an at least to me, not an easy instrument to play.
Speaker 6: It's easy to start, it's very difficult, not if you want to get specific sounds out of it, and you.
Speaker 2: Have to like like block certain you know, it's like a little series of holes. Everybody knows what they look like, believe it or not.
Speaker 6: I had one as a child.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you had idea too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you have to block the ones you don't want to blow through. Most of them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, most of them exhale. When you inhale, it's a half step off. Yeah, that's it's in out and out now.
Speaker 9: But you have to like you're looking for you.
Speaker 2: Got to get to the right one and block out the other ones with your tongue. And I ended up having like you know, you know, blostlelia, a petite mall seizure, you know, like, yeah, I had epilepsy. So yeah, I I you know, I've tried. I said, nope, I'm not. That's one instrument I can check off the list that Nope, I am not.
Speaker 4: I did figure out how to bend a note. You know, wow, I figured out how to do that. Okay, okay, now to do it on the right pitch.
Speaker 9: At the right time.
Speaker 2: You no. Oh. Then then there's the chromatic ones that have another little thing on the side that changes everything again. So it's like it's not yeah.
Speaker 9: Most of the time.
Speaker 4: You'll see something we haven't talked about is most of them are keyed, so you're, you know, whatever key the song is in. Usually take a harmonica that's a fourth hire, which is a whole music theory thing, but it's for that key for that song, which is why you know, like John Popper from Blues Traveler as a.
Speaker 6: Whole, like ten different harmonica usually.
Speaker 4: Twelve yeah, depending on what you would play Yeah, drive me crazy, yeah, depending and then one yeah, one.
Speaker 1: One giant harmonica and just put all the crambones at different stations along the giant harmonica and we all play our own were.
Speaker 3: Blow breath there into each other's spells.
Speaker 6: No, not a good idea.
Speaker 9: You know what, we'll call the song COVID two.
Speaker 6: Yes, okay.
Speaker 1: So the Prairie Ramblers produced over one hundred recordings between nineteen thirty three and nineteen forty. They continued performing until nineteen fifty two, playing country hillbilly, which you probably figured out when I mentioned that Holmes played the jug and pop music while performing with the Prairie Ramblers. Homes before did Geene Autry, who invited him to go to Hollywood and star in westerns, which he did, And we talked about Cowboy by the Fire before, so there you go. In one of his films called Arizona Days, he played two harmonicas at once, using both his mouth and nose.
Speaker 6: It could be worse. It could be worse.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, it could have been mouthed something else. Oh no, the vertical harmonica.
Speaker 1: Man, Oh my.
Speaker 8: God, nasty guys.
Speaker 1: So the Prairie Ramblers also backed Autrey in the nineteen thirties on some of his recordings. Now that's all I have about Salty Homes. But I did want to mention that I was driving home, not Holmes home, the other night and I had serious ExM on in the car and I heard this song that was all harmonica, and the they announced that the artist was called Little Walter and he was the only artist inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame specifically as a harmonica player. So of course by the time I got home, I forgot his name.
Speaker 14: So I had a Google only artists inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame as a harmonica So then this came up with a little bio and I found out he was actually born May first, nineteen thirty and he was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in two thousand and eight, and that that was irrelevant.
Speaker 2: That answered they only have room for one harmonica player, and he took it. That's why Jay Giles never got in.
Speaker 3: That's the reason be it.
Speaker 9: They did take up a lot of space.
Speaker 2: So yeah, well, you know you have to have like twelve or you know whatever.
Speaker 6: I want the rock and Roll Hall of Fame to be full of harmonica players for God's sake.
Speaker 1: Well you need to vote. Remember when the rock and Roll Hall of Fame was good and there were no harmonica players.
Speaker 2: Remember when it was when it was rock and roll? But yeah, exactly, And just a side note here too. Now, maybe I met misread this, but did MTV like go off the air entirely?
Speaker 4: And I heard, yeah, the music channel, not the main MTV. Okay, I believe it was called v H one Classics for a while and then it became m t V two or something.
Speaker 6: I know they still had anyone with Well that's the problem.
Speaker 4: That's why it went off the airs, because nobody did. So the one channel they had that still played music videos, they shut that one down.
Speaker 2: And at least they played the Buggles as they.
Speaker 1: Signed circle at least.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Okay, well that that, Yeah, that clears that up. Because I didn't quite I have to.
Speaker 9: Admit I didn't watch it either.
Speaker 3: Now I feel guilty, but I have such good memories. Tommy had it, my husband had it, and I didn't have it yet, And I would go to his apartment when we first met, and like, I would just sit there glued to the.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, high school boyfriend, same thing he had it, and my father would never let us get cable, so I would go to my boyfriend's house and watch it and yeah, same thing, be glued to the TV.
Speaker 9: Yeah, yeah, totally totally.
Speaker 6: So that was that was a gone memory now so that I've got. So that's all I got, Mercedes, what song do you have? Thank you? Barbara welcome. Okay.
Speaker 3: Oh, so, as a feminist, I need to preface my song with some thoughts. The song is good girls don't by the neck. And while I love the song, it does make me super uncomfortable, and it's not because of the harmonica. You can tell me how you feel about that later, Gail. The song was released in nineteen seventy nine by Doug Fieger as a follow up to the band's hit single My Sharona, which was about his girlfriend Sharona Alperin, who was seventeen while he was twenty five. Obviously obviously not the largest age gap we know about in the rock and roll world, but lyrics in My Sharona like such a dirty mind. I always get it up for the touch of the younger kind might be an issue if it was released today.
Speaker 6: Yeah yeah.
Speaker 3: And teen Sharona herself appears on the singles picture sleeve looking like the winner of a quote unquote wet t shirt contest. According to Rock and Roll Globe dot Com, this would have been a good addition to our song our show on songs that could not have been released today, which we did quite a long time.
Speaker 9: That was a while ago.
Speaker 6: Yeah yeah.
Speaker 3: Robert Christau Chris Gow, a critic for The Village Voice, wrote in his review of the record, if they felt this way about girls when they were unknowns, I shuddered to think how they're reacting to groupies. Yikes.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 3: A quote from Rock and Roll Globe dot Com says, if you google get the nec and misogyny, you will not be lacking in search results. And by the way, that's exactly what I had done. It's been observed many times over the years from nineteen seventy nine to the present that fig Figer, I keep wanting to put an l in there, doesn't exactly come across as a champion of women in some of these songs that in itself would unfortunately not be newsworthy for a rock record in the seventies, but even for the time, these tunes took sexism to another level. The article goes on to say, without getting into quotations, that it simply be said that at least half the album songs feature either women hating, horny, creepiness, emotional, stunted, pre prurious, pre pruians, purians, or some combination of all the above. You can just guess what that word was. Some other critics said this. Critic Grile Marcus described the song as a smutty like Beatles imitation. Author John Borak described the song as a mean pop tune, noting two that in the song lead singer and songwriter figure comes off like a leering, sexist twit with hormones raging. So something I learned while researching this is that there are two versions of this song, a clean and an explicit version. My roommate and I used to sing this at all the time in college at the top of our lungs, and when I was getting ready for the show, I kept thinking, wheet what I didn't have any memory of it being that suggestive and valerie. I hope you're listening tonight. I actually don't know which one we're hearing today, so we're just gonna.
Speaker 11: Have to pray and see what happens.
Speaker 15: Cringe, the Girls Do, the Girls doxis one stop today, the Girl's Dolls.
Speaker 12: The Girl's Doves, the Girls Dog Sad that's one of the stops to taste.
Speaker 13: The Girl's Dove, the Girls Dogs, the Girls Dog, Girl's Dove, the Girl's Dogs.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was the clean version. I'm serious. I had never heard the explicit version, and I was listening to it. I guess it was today or maybe yesterday, and I was like, wow, oh my god. And then when I went back to the clean version, I was like, okay, this is how I remember.
Speaker 2: I think that, Yeah, this is the only one that I remember hearing. I mean, yeah, well it's it's like, it's it's naughty, it's unclean. I won't say it's obscene.
Speaker 6: Correct, it's yeah.
Speaker 3: But go to YouTube and check out the explicit version, which is not it's not disgusting.
Speaker 4: In twenty twenty six, explicit.
Speaker 2: It's well let's let's let's let's go back. You know, in the in the eight seventies there it was not exactly the most politically correct time. I mean, listen to some girls by the Rolling Stones and go no further, you know. So now was it right or wrong? I'll let you decide, But it was not. How should I say? It wasn't out of character for the time, And I'm not saying it was right. And I always thought that song. In fact, let me say, I like that song much better than my Sharona a million miles. But aside from that, if you take it at face value, yeah, it's you know, pretty male Chauvens pig, you know. But if you take it from the other perspective as like a parody or statire, that they're trying to sound like that but making fun of that sort of mentality.
Speaker 3: But they're not.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm not excuse. I'm not apologizing for them. I'm just saying that that could also be that the the irony and the humor that and that was also prevalent back in that that time too, that it was not They weren't really saying it was a good thing. They were making fun of it by you know, making it sound like they liked it, but they're saying, see how stupid it sounds. If that makes any sense, I don't know.
Speaker 4: I one of those it's open to interpretation, which I think makes for a good song.
Speaker 2: He never returned my calls to find you know, I asked, never got back to me.
Speaker 3: Well do yourself have a favor and do check out the explicit version.
Speaker 6: That we're all going to be googling it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Now now that I'm.
Speaker 4: Going to have this huge spike, they're like, what is going on here? Yeah?
Speaker 3: So meanwhile I'm trying to google the explicit version lyrics and they're like blocking me.
Speaker 6: So I don't know, maybe you're not old enough.
Speaker 2: So uh.
Speaker 3: So Dutge Viger Doug Viger wrote this song with Johnny Cash's voice in mind. All right, I know no, Like, how does that make sense?
Speaker 11: No?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 3: So incidentally, the b side of Good Girls Don't was a song titled Frustrated and was again about Sharona albren. It describes how he had a crush on her but she was keeping him at arm's length, although they did go on to have a relationship later, so it seems like he really had it bad for her. I mean three songs that and who knows how many more, but at least three songs that he wrote about her. The Necker an American power pop band formed in la in nineteen seventy eight and members were Doug Fieger, Burton, a Avier Prescott Niles, and Bruce gary My. Sharona reached number one in several countries as it as as did its album Get the Neck. Their next two albums were less successful, and they broke up in nineteen eighty two. They did reunite in nineteen eighty six, nineteen eighty, nineteen eighty six, nineteen ninety four, and nineteen ninety six. They permanently disbanded in twenty ten after the passing of Doug Figer. So why wasn't the band more popular? There was definitely a few problems. Somebody on Reddit posted a pretty good explanation.
Speaker 1: One.
Speaker 3: They were hyped by Capitol Records as the next beatles No, No, Too High, That's the Kiss of Death exactly, Like who thought that was a good idea their songs? Number two, their songs were sleazy sex songs, and number three they were misogynous. I'm not sure that the second two thoughts were valid, considering it was the seventies and all the bands had sleazy sex songs and were misogynous.
Speaker 2: Yep, that's kind of what I was saying. Yeah, not condoning it, just that's just the way it was.
Speaker 3: A demo was recorded at one of the reunions and released in twenty twelve, which was their last album. The reviews that I read were good, and maybe they grew up and left their twelve year old boy selves behind. I don't know. That's all I got. I do like the harmonica in there by the.
Speaker 6: Way, there's not much so really I like the rest of the instruments, so it was not traumatizing for me, So thank you for that.
Speaker 3: You're very welcome. It was fun for me too. And Doug Figer did play the harmonica on that by the way. Yeah, it was really shocking to me. I had no idea there was two versions of that.
Speaker 6: Wow, yeah, neither did I. Well, thank you, Mercedes. We're almost to the end. We just have one more little break and then we'll be back with the last song.
Speaker 9: Hudson Riverradio dot com.
Speaker 6: Hudson Riverradio dot com, and we're back. We're almost at the end of the torture session where the rock and Roll History show Crombones are torturing me with harmonica songs. Except I know the one that we're up to that is Brian's choice, And I actually really really love this song, so.
Speaker 9: I thought you would.
Speaker 4: I kind of had a feeling you would, so I picked one that has one of my trademark bummers at the end.
Speaker 9: So okay, yeah, we can bring everybody down and exit on a low No.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I like the song anyway, So all right, take it away, Brian, No thanks.
Speaker 4: Do you mind if I nerd out just a little bit before we hop into the song?
Speaker 7: Go for it.
Speaker 4: So we've all seen harmonica players on stage, I think, whether you love them or not, the common technique you'll see them use two hands and cup the harmonica and they're holding a microphone in between their two hands, and they're actually using their hands, and the microphone is part of the instrument, like an extension to the harmonica to get different sounds and all that.
Speaker 6: Well, that makes sense.
Speaker 4: The nerd in me is like, well, years ago, it's like, all right, how do they do that?
Speaker 9: What are they using?
Speaker 4: Well, the microphone that most of the time you'll see them using got nicknamed the bullet because of the shape. It's kind of curved like a cone shape, like a rounded curve, you know, like the nose of a bullet. That microphone was first made in nineteen forty nine. It was by the Shore Company s h U R E. They're still around, they're still making most of the microphones that you see when people do podcasts and all that kind of stuff.
Speaker 9: It was the Model five twenty.
Speaker 4: It was originally designed for radio use like ham radio, police radios, the military public address systems. It was built specifically to be very durable. You could bash it around, you could expose it to the elements, you could leave it outside, all that kind of stuff, and it just could take that kind of abuse. And it was geared towards the human voice, the frequency range of the human voice, and musicians just wound up loving it. They would use it on drums, they would specifically use it on harmonicas because it fit into your hands so well, you know, that that cup kind of shape. They still make it. They still make it in green. It's now the Shore five twenty DX. The newer models they make one that instead of a stand hook up, it's got a volume knob on it, so you can actually adjust the sound while you're playing it. All that kind of stuff. So if you are a nerd like me, go ahead and look up the shore X.
Speaker 9: But the other one that.
Speaker 4: Harmonica players would use when they couldn't afford or get their hands on a shore five point twenty, they would take the microphone out of an old telephone headset and use the mouthpiece microphone because that was a cheap carbon microphone that had a very gritty sound.
Speaker 9: Again, it was geared towards your voice and low volume, so it was easy to distort.
Speaker 4: It was gritty again, it was very durable, it was cheap, especially if you walk by a payphone with a pair of plyers and help yourself to one and kept walking.
Speaker 3: Su I have seen so many of them back in the day, like open, it.
Speaker 4: Would not surprise me. Wow yeah, yeah, So the old telephone headset. You'll actually see some old bluesper players actually holding that headset upside down with the mouthpiece cupping it like they would the bullet microphone with the earpiece just hanging down.
Speaker 9: So keep your eyes open. That kind of thing.
Speaker 4: You'll see that in pictures every once in a while. But again it was about that gritty kind of distorted, very distinctive sound and using your hands to shape the sound. You could shape, you know, proximity effect the bass, the trouble, get that really high.
Speaker 9: Whiny pitch that Gail absolutely loves. There you go.
Speaker 4: You know what, when in need, you make deal with what you can get your hands on.
Speaker 9: And it worked.
Speaker 4: So for my pick for a song tonight, we are going to take a trip down Under and I cannot do Australian accents, so I expect the emails to come. We start off with three brothers and some friends who formed a band. Andrew Farris played keyboards, John Farris played drums, Tim Farriss played lead guitar, their friend Gary Beers played bass, Kirk Pengilly played rhythm guitar and saxophone, and their friend Michael Hutchins was on lead vocals. And the band If Anybody Wants to Guess was named in excellent excess. It was called the Farris Brothers because they was three Faris brothers.
Speaker 6: I'm still mad at Michael Hutchins, for all.
Speaker 1: He had the sexiest voice.
Speaker 6: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, don't worry, we'll bring everybody down. We'll make everybody said later, no where he's there. So they had their high school band and a couple of them were a little older than high school, and the paris Is wound up moving to Perth in Western Australia.
Speaker 9: The band followed. They played out there, and.
Speaker 4: Then they wound up moving back to Sydney and recording some demo tapes and played out wherever they could. They were outside a pub called the Royal Antler when they were approached by a guy named Gary Morris, who happened to be the manager of another Australian band called Midnight Oil. You may have heard of them, yeah, yep, so I talked about them. It's got to be years ago at this point, it's been ages. So the Faris Brothers began opening for them, as well as other groups around Sydney. It was Midnight Oil who came up with the much improved name for the band In Excess spelled iXS for those who may not know. The idea came from a mashup of the British band XTC and the Australian jam band called IXL and I say okay.
Speaker 6: Mus exactly EI EIO.
Speaker 9: Anymore. That's it, okay.
Speaker 4: Their first performance as in Excess was in September of nineteen seventy nine. They toured the Australian pub circuit, and they wound up making a good move. They hired a really good manager who actually got them a five record deal right off the bat with an Australian label, Deluxe Records, a five record deal you would never get nowadays, not gonna happen. The company gave them a budget of ten thousand dollar redues for their first album, and so to stay under budget, they would perform a scheduled gig at night and then go to the studio where they booked overnight time, which was cheaper than booking during the day, so they did that musician's time, the musicians hours, play at night, work all night, and then go sleep.
Speaker 9: During the day.
Speaker 4: They worked on a bunch of material which was mostly released only in Australia, just way too much to cover here. They worked hard, so I'll give.
Speaker 9: Them credit for that.
Speaker 4: But in Access made their way to the United States in March of nineteen eighty three. They played their first performance in the US in San Diego to an audience of twenty four people, not twenty four thousand, not twenty four hundred.
Speaker 1: It's like a classroom.
Speaker 9: Twenty four people, yup, yup.
Speaker 4: But they brought with them a solid reputation and a good performance, which got them gigs opening for The Kinks, they opened for the Stray Cats, for Holan Oates, for Adam and the An for Men at Work. So they brought their reputation with them and it served them well. By the end of nineteen eighty three, they were headlining their own shows in New York City. Their big breakthrough single was what You Need in nineteen eighty five.
Speaker 9: I remember that one quite well.
Speaker 4: The nineteen eighty seven album Kick is by far their bestseller. That has a number of hits on it as well, and in nineteen ninety they had another successful album titled X. The album has the track that We're going to torture Gale with today. It's called Suicide Blonde. Hutchins and Andrew Farriss wrote the song, and it was Hutchinson's then girlfriend Kylie Minogue who did the locomotion right. She did mean, She's got a lot of her own stuff, but she made it big in the US with I think it was the locomotion, wasn't it like in the late eighties.
Speaker 9: I don't remember, but.
Speaker 4: They were going to a debut of a movie that Kylie was in and for the event. She wore a wig and she called the Suicide Blonde, which is apparently a joke about dyeing your own hair like dying suicide.
Speaker 9: I guess you die the wig blonde.
Speaker 4: So there is a blues harp intro in the song and parts of it that were played by Charlie Musselwhite, who is a very known Chicago blues player, and he was also the inspiration for Elwood Blues played by dan Aykroyd in the Blues Brothers movie and that whole act, so that was kind of based on him. He happened to be on tour in Sydney and the band asked him to come to their recording session and he did so to set you up with that trademark downer, which you guys also mentioned. Suicide Blonde was the last song that Michael Hutchins performed live in concert. That was on September twenty seventh, nineteen eighty seven, in Pittsburgh. So let's partially torture Gale even though she likes the song.
Speaker 6: I love this song, So the joke's on you guys.
Speaker 9: Well, there we go.
Speaker 4: So suicide I've blong by an excess.
Speaker 7: S S S.
Speaker 16: SID this is color of hair like she lashes finish far again, the last of the mass sung not the shows so wrong you want.
Speaker 12: To rencos so.
Speaker 11: You too?
Speaker 5: Shirts st strip.
Speaker 16: To me, the cir stand all, why the will you get see her shirts squeeze.
Speaker 5: Ma sad moment, glor to you, Glory to you. Ta guys are mother shirt went into your hair?
Speaker 16: Sam, You're from on me to read that right across them, but go to see.
Speaker 5: Come out said shot.
Speaker 4: Tell your world.
Speaker 16: You wanta makers?
Speaker 5: The Simon.
Speaker 16: Love, the Sessions, the Sunba you want to makea s.
Speaker 5: Salamon love, the fencils, the sum.
Speaker 6: You want to macas the sun.
Speaker 12: You want to make.
Speaker 5: Let's everything you want me.
Speaker 11: Love all.
Speaker 9: That's a catchy one.
Speaker 4: And yeah, the harmonica is kind of buried in there.
Speaker 6: So I can see good thank you for the palette cleanser at the end of the show.
Speaker 9: Yeah, so they have a pretty long history.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 4: They crossed paths with Nile Rogers, who's known for his chunk of chunk and guitar sounds. So they picked up on that and they did stuff together. So there's a lot more to the story, but we just don't have time for everything. But I thought that was a cool song. I had trouble narrowing it down how much I wanted to torture you tonight. So I'll save the other ones for another time.
Speaker 6: I love that song.
Speaker 9: I just love it all right.
Speaker 4: So here's the downer. In August of nineteen ninety two, Michael Hutchins and his then girlfriend who was not Kylie, We're riding bikes in Copenhagen, in Denmark, and a taxi was trying to get around them on a narrow street because lots of streets in Europe are super narrow, and apparently Hutchins didn't know that the taxi was behind him, and the driver got out and assaulted him to the point where Hutchins wound up falling backwards and hitting his head on the pavement. He got a skull fracture from that and some brain damage, and like many stupid rock stars, he refused medical care for several days. He wouldn't go to the hospital for a couple of days. By the time he did, he had lost his sense of smell, He lost most of the sense of taste, and that's when he really started to have trouble with depression and aggression. He had some personality changes, and it got to the point where he was fighting with people. He fought with every single member of the band, guys who had been his best friends for twenty something years at this point, and he wound up like getting into physical altercations with him from changes which were likely attributed to that head injury that he had. But they kept working up until nineteen ninety three when they decided to take some well earned time off. Michael Hutchins would continue to work as an actor and a model, but he was still battling depression and he had issues with drugs and alcohol. He wound up having a daughter with Bob Geldoff's estranged wife, Paulie Yates in nineteen ninety six, and unfortunately, Hutchins was found dead on November twenty second, nineteen ninety seven, in his Rich Carlton Hotel room in Sydney. He was only thirty seven and Excess was back on the road to support an album that.
Speaker 9: Was going to be coming out soon.
Speaker 4: The coroner ruled his death a suicide by hanging, but there was and still is some speculations as to whether his death was accidental, whether he was partaking in other activities That one may do we can put that to bed now, Pauli Yates, the estrange Missus Geldoff was supposed to bring their daughter, along with the three daughters she had with Bob to Australia to visit Hutchins, but Bob Geldoff had taken legal action to prevent that from happening, from preventing the girls from leaving the UK. Hutchins was just absolutely heartbroken when he got that phone call telling him the news at about five am in the morning because of the time difference, and he was furious and he was absolutely heartbroken. He wound up calling Bob Geldoff himself and just had a loud argument, screaming, crying, all that kind of stuff on the phone, so loud that the neighbors in the hotel could hear what was going on through the walls. Hutchins then called an ex girlfriend distraught, asked her to come over, a different ext girlfriend, not Kylie, not the one from the bike riding, and she did. She got there at about ten thirty in the morning, but he didn't answer the door, so she assumed he had finally fallen asleep.
Speaker 9: She left a note for him and then left shortly before noon.
Speaker 4: It was housekeeping that went into his room to clean up and do the room, and the housekeeper is the one who found him dead. He had tied a belt around his neck and then he tied the other end of the belt to the door closer, the automatic door closer at the top of the door, and he was on his knees facing the door. So given all the circumstances of everything going on, it was not the happy time that he was trying to have.
Speaker 9: It was suicide. So we can kind of put that to bed. I say it as it is.
Speaker 4: The now former Missus Geldoff herself died of a heroin overdose in two thousand and To his credit, Bob Geldoff took in the now four year old daughter that Hutchinson Yates had had together, and he would later adopt her so she could continue living with the three half sisters that she grew up living.
Speaker 9: With, So I give him credit for that.
Speaker 4: The band continued to work without Michael. They worked with a series of different singers. They even had a TV show for a period of time where they were auditioning singers to try to make a reality show to find a permanent replacement front man. As of now, they have nothing on their calendar as a band, but each member is keeping busy.
Speaker 9: They each have their own projects.
Speaker 4: Gary Beers, the bass player, actually makes guitars and basses on his own. He does electronics and all that kind of stuff. And most of them are doing independent music projects, so they're not bored, but they don't seem to be on the calendar for going out as in excess anytime soon. So we got what we got and there you go. There's the Downer And now I give it back to.
Speaker 6: Gail as I said, Brian, thank you for the Palette Cleanser song, because I really you really liked that song, Mercedes. Didn't you have something you wanted to note?
Speaker 3: Yes, I have a little addition to my song. I finally did get find the lyrics and it was, in fact the explicit version that.
Speaker 6: We heard, so very explicit.
Speaker 9: Yeah, it wasn't that bad.
Speaker 3: It wasn't that bad. But the clean version the radio editors is the one that my roommate and I used to sing at the top of our lung. So we were not sitting We were not sitting Writian slip. We were not saying some of the lyrics that were in what we just hurt, so I apologize for that, but I'm glad I could figure that out and clear it up for everybody.
Speaker 6: Okay, well, everybody's songs were interesting. I seem to have survived in about the same mental sanity I was when I started, which isn't saying much.
Speaker 2: We should have tried harder. What you said, We're.
Speaker 9: Gonna have to do this again next week?
Speaker 6: Yeah, definitely, no, no, no, no, once once is enough.
Speaker 4: I think we should each get a harmonica and all pick a different song, but we should all play our song at the same time.
Speaker 6: Great love, but you'd all be in a different key exactly exactly.
Speaker 4: That doesn't push you over the edge.
Speaker 9: And nothing.
Speaker 2: Well, we could join the Cambridge Harmonica Orchestra, no charter members.
Speaker 6: It's so funny because Neil's wife, who is also a friend of mine, the look she would when a few of us would go out sometimes, and this one lead vocalist had this habit of going off key once in a while, and it was fairly predictable as to when he would go off key, and when that time was approaching. Neil's lovely life would be watching my face because she would first into laughter when she saw the look on my face when this guy would hit a wrong note.
Speaker 2: This is the caliber of people I used to play with. By the way, this is why I wore ear plug.
Speaker 3: We're talking about a band that you might have been in, yeah.
Speaker 17: Possibly allegedly, yes, yes, And it was just so great that I was so amusing for Dawn.
Speaker 6: I good memories, guys, and.
Speaker 2: All the dogs in the neighborhood would start howling.
Speaker 9: That's yeah, that's how.
Speaker 7: You know you made it.
Speaker 6: Or something. Well, I will give it back to you, Brian, to take us out.
Speaker 4: All right, Well, good job, thank you for It's nice to sit back and watch every once in a while. I do appreciate it. And those were good selections. They were really interesting across the board.
Speaker 9: And there's so much more you can do on the topic and the Blues and all that.
Speaker 4: It's so many rabbit holes we can go down, and we will at some point there and we'll find new ways to torture Gale.
Speaker 9: A lot of.
Speaker 6: You guys need you guys need better hobbies.
Speaker 9: I think we can enjoy this for a little while.
Speaker 4: All right, thank you cram Bones, and thank you all for joining.
Speaker 9: Us for the Rock and Roll History Show.
Speaker 4: Don't forget to check out all the other shows we do here at Hudson River Radio, because there is something for everybody. We'll be back next week with another brand new episode. Until then, blow until your heart's content and peace out, everybody.
Speaker 12: Rock cop Bottom and Rum.
Speaker 7: Okay, Bye bye.
Speaker 9: Hudson River Radio dot com.
Speaker 10: A Subsidiaria Usure Entertainment LLC potentially successful is the Multi hundred Dollars Corporation