Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to part two of our series about the murder of Holly Staker and the wrongful conviction of Juan Rivera. Let's dive right back into our discussion. So at this particular trial, I think there was more uncertainty by the jury, because they had to deliberate for a total of 36 hours over the course of four days, but in the end, they did find Juan guilty, and he received another life sentence. But the defense team still started fighting for him, and because DNA profiling had not been a common thing back in 1992, they finally decided to utilize it in the mid-2000s by doing DNA testing on a semen sample that had been left behind by the killer when Holly was raped, and this excluded Juan as being the source of the semen. The DNA did not match him, so his conviction was vacated for the second time in August of 2006. So you would be hoping that this would be strong enough evidence that the state would finally say, yes, this is the wrong guy. We're dropping the charges. But I know we have used this term on previous episodes that we've discussed, but I'm sure you recollect the term the unindicted co-ejaculator.
Speaker 1: 100%. That was exactly what I was thinking when you brought up that the semen didn't match. I'm like, well, that isn't a major impediment for them. They're just going to say that he had a co-conspirator and that's the individual whose semen was found, that Juan's semen just wasn't found at the scene. Maybe he wore a condom and took it with him. I'm sure they've got a million reasons why that it still could be Juan.
Speaker 2: Well, this is actually worse than you predicted, because they did not use the co-conspirator-accomplice theory this time around. The trial started in April of 2009, and the prosecuting attorney was Mike Murmel, who was not the prosecutor at the first two trials. So he had his work cut out for this, trying to explain away the DNA evidence. But once again, he claimed that, yes, Juan was still guilty, and he raped Holly, but he did not ejaculate. But earlier that evening, Holly had invited another man over to the house to have, quote-unquote, consensual sex. And that's who the semen belonged to, and that's who the DNA matched. And as a reminder, Holly was 11 years old at the time.
Speaker 1: As soon as you said they didn't use the co-conspirator idea, I knew that they were going to be bringing in that Holly potentially had consensual sex with an unknown male, and that that was how they would explain the semen, which is absolutely disgusting. This is an 11-year-old child. to think that she's going to be babysitting a five-year-old and a two-year-old, or just at any point in the day that she could have consensual sex with anybody. She is a literal child. It's egregious.
Speaker 2: It is, yeah. And obviously an 11-year-old cannot even consent, but they're using the term consensual sex all throughout the trial. But it just does so much bad damage to her reputation because not only are you trying to say that an 11-year-old is sexually active, but they're saying that she's irresponsible enough to, like, invite another person over to a house that she's babysitting and doing this with all these two children beside her, which does not sound like it fit Holly's character. So it's like we're going to the extreme now where we're tainting a murder victim's reputation just to get a conviction by totally making stuff up.
Speaker 1: And so what? Like, they're trying to say that Some guy came over and slept with Holly. We know she can't consent, but they're using that term, consensual sex. That, what, she invited him over? Just the timing? Well, the five-year-old was out there playing? And then after this act happened, it just so happened that Juan then came in and decided to murder Holly, leaving no traces of his DNA behind?
Speaker 2: Yeah, just makes no sense whatsoever. And conveniently, the two children were not called upon to testify at the trial because they are not going to corroborate this story that anyone else visited the house that night in order to have sex with Holly. So there they are just completely changing their narrative.
Speaker 1: So are they still trying to say that Juan raped Holly at this point?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that he came back and raped her, but he did not ejaculate. So because I'm sure there was probably sign of trauma. that she had been sexually assaulted, so they can't say that, oh, the semen was the result of just consensual sex. So it's kind of like a convenient thing where this unknown person comes in, just has sex with her, leaves, and then Juan comes a short time later and rapes her without leaving his DNA behind. But I know that Mike Murmel was kind of using gaslighting here, trying to downplay the significance of DNA, saying it wasn't really all that important as evidence. This is an actual quote that he said to the press, quote, The example I like to give people is next time you go to a motel room, bring a plastic bag because the dirtiest thing in that room is the remote control. Everybody has sex and rolls over and goes, I wonder what's on. OK, so you can find DNA in the form of sperm from 10 different people in that room from that remote control or even on a person who has touched it. And that woman gets murdered in that room tonight and you're going to have a lot of DNA. Is it all going to be forensically significant? End quote. What is he talking about?
Speaker 1: What is he talking about? And the thing is, yeah, you might get like fragments of DNA if you're touching a remote control that hasn't been cleaned at a hotel room. Yes, lots of people do that. If you're going to a hotel, one of the first things you should do is clean that remote control. If you've got like, you know, Lysol wipes or whatever, wipe that down. But there's a very big difference between touching a surface and getting DNA on your hand than getting DNA in your body cavities. That is a lot harder to do. And I can't think of a lot of examples aside from the case of Robert Wan, where that was incredibly confusing how Robert ended up with his DNA in his anus and he was clearly murdered. So that is a confusing one where that has been tried to have been explained away. But in this case, the fact that the DNA is found inside of Hall, that isn't something that you just go to a hotel room, you're rolling around on a bed and there's DNA and it ends up inside of you. That is not how the human body works. No.
Speaker 2: Definitely not. And it doesn't explain why Juan's DNA is not present anywhere, because if a whole bunch of people can share their DNA all over the Engelbrecht's apartment, how is Juan able to commit this crime without leaving any of his DNA behind? So it gets even worse, because it seemed like Murmel's strategy was not to try to convince the jury that Juan did it, but try to convince them that Holly was sexually active at the age of 11, and he's pretty much performing character assassination, because Holly actually had a twin sister named Heather, who was called upon the stand to testify, and even though Heather claimed that she did not believe Holly was sexually active, Murmel made her recount an incident where she and Holly were both sexually abused by one of their brother's friends when they were eight years old, because he was trying to plant the seeds that if she suffered this trauma, maybe she's having sex with people at the age of 11. And he also made Heather share how she and her sister had once shown each other how to masturbate, just to show that she had lots of knowledge of sex at this age. So, like, this has nothing to do with the case, but he just wants to try to convince the jury that Holly was the type of person who would have sex with someone else at that age.
Speaker 1: He's legitimately slut-shaming a murder victim who is an 11-year-old child. And... children will talk about such things. Little kids will play doctor and they'll explore things that aren't really sexual. It's just a matter of kids learning their bodies and trying to figure out where they fit in the world and that they're children but they will cosplay as adults for a moment. I think most kids have played those types of games or discussed things like masturbation. It's not To say that, oh, because we're now going to build this character profile of this victim that says that, yes, she is the type of person that this would happen to because she's going to be having sex with men. And it is ridiculous. So ridiculous. And it's so harmful. I can't imagine the consequences and the ramifications for the family having to have your 11-year-old child painted as... being sexually liberated at 11 when you literally cannot consent to sex. It is just, it's wild to me what they're willing to do and how they're willing to paint Holly just so that they can have their way and have Juan convicted again.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's exactly what they're going to do. This is the ultimate example of a wrongful conviction where they caused a lot of trauma for the victim's family. And I feel really bad for Heather because she had actually been scheduled to babysit that night at the Engelbrecht's residence until Holly took her place. So as you can imagine, she felt a lot of survivor's guilt because she could have been there that night and Holly wound up being killed instead. And she went on to grow up and live a rough life because Heather has gone on to have a lot of troubles with the law and she's had some addiction issues. And now here she is like 17 years later being called upon to testify at a murder trial for your sister and talk about your masturbation habits and just be humiliated. So it's just so shameful and I don't know how Mike Murmel could sleep at night doing all this stuff just to get a win at a trial.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like he takes away the humanity of the victim in order to get another notch on his belt so that he can win, so that the statistics remain consistent. know, whatever that they need to be in order for him to keep his job. But when it becomes about winning and not about finding justice for the victim, instead, you're re-victimizing them posthumously in the way that you're characterizing Holly. And you're traumatizing the family. It's so sad to think that they had to endure this, and just the discussions. It's just, it's gross that you should be talking about an 11-year-old like this, characterizing an 11-year-old like this. It's well beyond the bounds of, like, what should be acceptable for any prosecutor. I don't care what your objective is, if you feel that Juan did it or he didn't. This is just, the victim shaming is on another level, and The hurt and the pain that this causes would be so much greater because you have a family that is dealing with the loss of a child. It's hard enough when it's an adult victim and there's victim shaming or slut shaming attached to the case, but this is completely different because you're painting this child to be something that they are clearly not and it feels so unfair.
Speaker 2: And it's particularly egregious because Murmel was not the prosecutor at the first two trials. He was not the one who charged Juan and sent him to prison in the first place, so he could have easily said, this is not my problem, I'm dropping the charges, I'm not taking this to trial because I was not the one who sent this innocent man to prison, but he made a calculated choice. No, I want to get a win, so I'm just going to use this as an opportunity to shame the victim and her family. And, of course, they tried to get some additional corroborating evidence against Juan, but it turned out that the two jailhouse informants, Frank McDonald and David Crespo, who had testified against him at the previous trials, were now deceased. So they just read their original statements out for the jury, but I know that the defense objected, saying that, we cannot put these statements up here without giving us the opportunity to cross-examine these jailhouse informants and try to destroy their credibility. But lo and behold, they produced another jailhouse informant. This time it was Ed Martin, who was the guy who gave the tip to the police back in 1992 that Juan had made these incriminating statements about being at a party on the night of the murder. But this time Martin told an entirely different story, saying that Juan had flat out confessed to Holly's murder and called her, quote-unquote, a a little bitch and a tease who had deserved everything she got. But of course, the defense argued, hmm, you didn't mention this part of the story back in 1992 when you originally came forward to the police. And now you're throwing in all these new details 17 years after the fact.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's sort of like having somebody recall details of a crime when they were two years old. years later when they're eight. It's just not going to be reliable, but it's questionable, and we've got to ask, what is his motivation in sharing this? What is his objective?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I don't know if he got an ear-shaved office sentence, but I have a feeling that the police put a lot of pressure on him, saying, we can't use the testimony from the previous jailhouse informant, so please get on the stand and testify, instead that you heard Juan make these incriminating statements. Well, believe it or not, all this stuff actually worked on the jury because they deliberated and once again found him guilty for the third time of murder. and he was once again sentenced to life imprisonment. And man, I would really like to be in the jury's shoes during deliberations and wonder what they talk about, because I said for the previous trials, I can kind of put things in their shoes and say that, yeah, back in the 1990s, they wouldn't have known much about false confessions and would have assumed that Juan was guilty. But by this point, you have DNA evidence that excludes Juan. which essentially means they had deliberations and says, you know what? That explanation about Holly having consensual sex at age 11 makes a lot of sense to me. Let's find him guilty.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it makes me wonder exactly who the jury was made up of and if there were people that were easily convinced that 11-year-olds are out there being more mature than they used to be and they're out there having sex. I'm wondering if this is held in... close to Chicago. It's in Illinois. How big was the city that it was held in?
Speaker 2: Let me just double check. So it was held in Waukegan, which is a fairly decent-sized city. It had a population of around 89,000 at that time.
Speaker 1: And what year was this?
Speaker 2: This year, the deliberations for this trial would have been 2009.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you would like to think that, okay, in a town of 89,000 people, it's not like a town of 2,000 people. And with access to information about false confessions, not to the degree that we have now. I mean, I'm trying to like put myself back at that time. And I'm thinking when was the first time that I started really listening to like disappeared and stuff. And it would have been around this time. And so would my knowledge of false confessions have been what it is today? Not even close. So perhaps these people were well-versed in this, but it makes me believe that they kind of had the mentality that if they keep charging this guy, they believe that he is guilty, so there must be something to that.
Speaker 2: That's what I'm thinking, is that a lot of jurors have preconceived mindsets saying that, well, if this person's standing on trial in the first place, they must be guilty, because the police and prosecutors, they're honest people who would never make mistakes and railroad anyone, so... Even though this does not sound convincing, the scenario they presented, if he did confess and the police charged him, then he must be guilty. So I'm guessing that was their mindset and why they found him guilty for the third time. But I imagine this was completely devastating for Juan and his defense team because they figured this has to be the one where he's finally cleared, but now he's getting sent back to prison. But they were not going to give up until they exonerated him. So they appealed his conviction again with a 105-page brief, which had a ton of legal arguments about how terrible this conviction was. And one of the most interesting arguments they said is that all the so-called evidence about Holly Staker's so-called sex life violated the rape shield statute. Generally, this statute is invoked by the prosecution in rape trials in order to prevent the defense from introducing a victim's past sexual behavior again. into evidence trying to say that, well, they slept around a lot, they had a lot of sex, so she must be lying about this having been rape. But this is one of the only cases I've seen where the defense brought up the rape shield statute, saying that bringing up this alleged stuff that Holly did, like the masturbation and being sexually abused, was totally irrelevant as evidence and may have tainted the jury's mind, so therefore it should not have been allowed at the trial.
Speaker 1: It should not have been allowed at the trial, and I don't believe that any of it is actually genuine. Aside from, you know, little kids having discussions about sex or about their bodies, I don't believe that Holly was sexually active or that she had any type of sex, which would not have been consensual, but I don't believe it for a second, and none of this should have been introduced, and it It feels like Mermel cared more about winning than he did about finding justice. And I don't know if that is the case, but that is the way that it feels based on the way that he treated Holly posthumously and her family.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly. And thankfully, the Appellate Court of Illinois agreed with this because this missed Murmel's arguments about the DNA evidence belonging to someone who had consensual sex with Holly and were very critical of the prosecution's case and their decision. So in December of 2011, Juan's conviction was overturned for the third time. And thankfully, this time around, they decided to take the step of barring prosecutors from ever trying one again under the double jeopardy statute, arguing that he should not have even been brought to trial for the third time in the first place because the evidence was not strong enough. Because you just know the way that the prosecution was arguing that they would have tried to bring him to trial for the fourth time. But the appellate court says, no, we're done with this nonsense. We're letting him go. So in January of 2012, Juan was finally released from prison, but by this point he had served 19 years for a crime he had not committed.
Speaker 1: And he's released from prison, but it's not as though they're saying he's innocent. So there's a difference there, correct? Like he can't then go and seek compensation?
Speaker 2: Oh, he did. Like, he was able to seek compensation later on. I mean, they didn't say he was innocent at the time. The state was still holding the mentality, well, we would take him to trial again. We think he's guilty, but the appellate court won't let us. So he would actually have to, like, file a lawsuit before he would be declared factually innocent. So, like I said, they did file a lawsuit, and given the overwhelming amount of evidence that he had been the victim of a miscarriage of justice... He was awarded a settlement of $ 20 million, and at that point, it was the largest amount ever awarded for a wrongful conviction in the history of the United States. I think the record has since been broken, but at the time, $ 20 million was a huge number. And here's actually a happy part of this story, because while he was in prison, Juan earned his barber's license and became good friends with a guard who worked there named Bobby Madison, who was the barbershop coordinator there. And they eventually used some of the settlement money to open up a legacy barber college in Rogers Park, Illinois. And Juan has also used the money to pursue his own education and fund his niece's education. So even though this guy had a troubled childhood, he had a history of criminal activity, and he had issues with mental illness and depression, it sounds like he has been living a very good life since his release from prison, and he has used this money to do good for other people.
Speaker 1: Wow, that is really inspiring. At least something good came out of Juan being incarcerated, in that he had that exposure to barber training, and he became passionate about that, and then received the settlement that he deserved. I'm sorry, like, if you're put behind bars, and you are an innocent person, and you're dragged through the mud, your reputation is is destroyed, you're exposed to Lord knows what in prison, and to say that, like, oh, we just need to compensate them $ 50, 000 a year or whatever, that is wild. No, you need to compensate them for all of that mental pain, struggle, like, suffering and and anguish that something like a wrongful incarceration causes, and how it can affect an entire family, multiple families, and not just the individual who's wrongfully incarcerated. So it's nice to hear that upon his release that Juan really found a purpose and poured himself into that, not only for himself, but he wanted to raise up his family as well in funding his niece's education. So I love that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that is a good part of this horrible story, because I've seen other wrongful conviction cases where the exonerees have a very difficult time adjusting to life on the outside, but it looks like in this particular case, Juan was able to use his settlement money in order to live a good life now, and he seems to be doing pretty well, even after going through this terrible ordeal. But there's more crazy aspects to this story, because there would be an attempt to try to find Holly Staker's real killer, but there would be a number of more twists and turns. Juan's defense attorneys learned that in 1994, one of Don Engelbrook's neighbors wound up finding a wood-handled bread knife underneath some bushes near the Engelbrook residence, and it was turned over to the police, but by this point, Juan had already been convicted, he was already serving time in prison, so the knife pretty much disappeared. It was destroyed without even attorneys being notified of his existence until many years later. So I mentioned earlier that a broken straight-edge knife was found in the yard near the Engelbrecht's residence, and in his original statement, Juan had claimed that he broke the knife during the stabbing and discarded it when he left, so it was assumed that this broken knife was the murder weapon. But the defense team would consult a forensic expert who believed that the wounds on Holly's body were more consistent with a serrated blade rather than a straight-edge blade, and the bread knife found in the bushes did have a serrated blade. So it seems likely they found the real murder weapon, which could have contained the killer's DNA or other evidence, but because they did not find it until Juan was already in prison, it sounds like the police conveniently made it disappear.
Speaker 1: Well, that seems to also be par for the course based on what we've heard thus far. And especially if we're going to go along with the pattern of them potentially planting evidence with the sneakers and the blood and then to make the potential murder weapon disappear, I'm not surprised. Like, we should be surprised. It should be shocking. But at this point, it seems to be a pattern of behavior. So it's really unfortunate because that could have exonerated Juan.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly. Like if they had presented it in 1994, he could have been released after only serving two years rather than 19 years. But it gets even more crazy because Juan's defense attorneys decided to enter the DNA evidence from the murder scene into a national database and found out that this DNA had been found at a murder which took place while Juan was serving time in prison. So in January of 2000, a 39-year-old Chicago resident named Delwin Foxworth was brutally assaulted by three intruders who broke into his home. They proceeded to tie him up at gunpoint and demanded he hand over some money. and when Foxworth refused to comply, they beat him with a two-by-four, duct-taped him to a chair, poured gasoline on him, and set him on fire before fleeing the scene. So Foxworth miraculously initially survived. He managed to douse the flames on his body and call for help, but he had burns on over 80% of his body, and he had such a devastating effect on him that he died in a nursing facility two and a half years later. Because Foxworth was burned so badly, he wasn't able to communicate much, but He said that the person who bound him with duct tape and poured the gasoline on him was nicknamed T, but he was unable to provide any further examples. Well, when the DNA from Holly Staker's murder scene from the semen sample was entered in the database, it wound up matching the DNA on some blood found on the 2x4, which was used to beat Delwin Foxworth. And since Foxworth himself was excluded as being the source of this DNA, that meant that Holly Staker's real killer had to be the source of the blood and was involved in Foxworth's murder, so here he was hurting somebody else while an innocent man was languishing in prison for his crime.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I think that if you are the real killer, how lucky must you feel at that point when you realize, not only did I get away with this, but somebody else is being punished, not Foxworth, Once, not twice, but thrice for a crime that you committed. Like, you must feel like you won the lottery.
Speaker 2: Exactly. And here they are, like, taking advantage of this opportunity to commit a particularly brutal crime, like beating someone with a 2x4 and burning them alive by pouring gasoline on them. So obviously it's a very dangerous person. It would have not surprised me in the least if they have gone on to commit other crimes as well that they haven't been linked to.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it makes me wonder, like, what is the pattern of this offender? What is their victim profile? Being able to tie a method to them or being able to say, like, this is their pattern, it seems like that isn't really a pattern. So is that by design? Is it just I want to be an agent of chaos? I don't want them to be able to track me? Or is it just a curiosity in trying to find what would be their M.O.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what's so weird to me, is that this is quite a difference. Like, beating up a 39-year-old man and setting him on fire is quite different from raping an 11-year-old and stabbing her 27 times. So the MO doesn't fit and makes me all the more curious about who this person is. But here's where it gets even more complicated, because the attack was witnessed by Foxworth's girlfriend, who was tied up and forced to witness the scene, even though she was left alive. And she said that she personally didn't know any of the three attackers. But in 2003, a suspect named Marvin Tyrone Williford was charged with Foxworth's murder. Since Foxworth's girlfriend had witnessed the attack, she identified Williford as one of the assailants. And according to an informant, Foxworth had apparently owed Williford $ 20, 000 plus interest, and he was unable to repay it. So when he found out there was an arrest warrant on him, Williford fled the state and was pulled over in South Carolina in a rental car, which he had taken out in someone else's name. And while he was in jail awaiting trial, Williford supposedly handed a note to an inmate who was being released, which had the name and address of Foxworth's girlfriend and instructions to deliver her a message that, quote-unquote, people were watching. So even though there was no physical evidence linking Williford to the crime, the eyewitness identification was enough to secure a conviction, and Williford was found guilty of murder and received an 80-year prison sentence. But what's kind of odd is that his two accomplices have never been identified and found, and they did the DNA found on the 2x4 and compared it to Williford, and it did not match. So it means that at the very least, Williford is not Holly Staker's real killer, but it's also possible that one of his two accomplices who was with him when he killed Foxworth probably is.
Speaker 1: Well, that's interesting, isn't it? So that just opens the door that you've got a bunch of these people who are criminals and who are capable of doing the unthinkable because we see different patterns, different motivations, right? Like with Holly, it was clearly a sexually based motivation. There was nothing taken except for that photograph. So it seems like the objective was to go in, have sex with her, rape her, and then murder her. And I don't know if the objective was always to murder or if it just ended up becoming that in the end. Maybe they went too far with the strangulation. Of that, we can't be sure. But then when we see this other guy burned alive, it feels like the objective or the motivation there is to either send a message or to get revenge because money is owed. And it makes sense that it's almost like this coalition of bad guys that are capable of horrible, horrible things.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it might be a thing where it's like if Williford was the instigator of the murder on Foxworth, he just decided to bring one of his friends along with him, and this guy just happened to be there when they did this totally different murder, even though the murder of Holly that was done years earlier was totally different. But what's complicated is that Williford is also claiming that he was wrongly convicted as well, because they pointed out a number of issues with his conviction, because the primary evidence against him was eyewitness testimony from Foxworth's girlfriend, but when she testified in front of a grand jury in 2000 and was shown Williford's photo, she failed to identify him. But after Foxworth died, the girlfriend was shown Williford's photo again in 2003, and this time she identified him after some hesitation. They also claim that Foxworth's DNA on the 2x4 duct tape and gas can does not match him, and there is fingerprint evidence from the scene which does not match him as well. And there's also a conflict of interest because the informant who told the police that Foxworth owed Williford money, it turned out that she was having sex with the lead detective and also having sex with Williford at the same time. And after Williford was convicted, the detective supposedly told the woman, quote, that's what he gets for having sex with my girl.
Speaker 1: Okay, so this is a big cluster F indeed. And I don't know, based on what we've seen so far with law enforcement, if I'm going to trust that Williford is indeed responsible. Because we've seen planted evidence and we've seen just egregious things that have been discarded that should have been looked at as evidence. So to think that somebody could try to seek revenge against a person that was potentially sleeping with their partner is and that person is in law enforcement, it's gross, but it's not really surprising me at this point. Does that mean that Williford is a good guy?
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: Does it mean that he isn't guilty? No, I don't think it means that either. I just think that it opens up the possibility that he too could have been framed as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I think there's a lot more incriminating evidence against Williford than there would have been Juan Rivera, because I do find it suspicious that he was caught fleeing the state in a rental car after there was an arrest warrant. It's a very Scott Peterson type of thing where he's saying that he's innocent, but he's trying to flee and go into hiding when he's accused of a crime. rather than sorting it out. And his attorneys did attempt to appeal his conviction, but he was denied an opportunity for a new trial because the court made an argument that just because his DNA is not on the 2x4, the duct tape, or the gas can doesn't mean he's innocent. It just means he could have been there and some of his accomplices handled all the evidence. So the lack of DNA does not prove his innocence, but at the same time, if Williford is guilty, he is the only one who knows the identity of Holly Staker's real killer, and he's not talking. I do find it weird that even though they convicted Williford, no attempt has been made to find the two other people who were involved in Foxworth's murder.
Speaker 1: If Williford is indeed responsible, and he probably is, but if he is indeed responsible for Foxworth's murder, that is a pretty grisly type of a murder. A certain type of individual is able to carry out that degree of violence, and it's somebody that you wouldn't think would be feeling a whole lot of empathy for that victim. It's not like it's a heat of the moment you stab somebody or shoot somebody. This is, he was set on fire. It's, really, really shocking. So do I think that somebody with that personality profile is going to then tell us who Holly Staker's killer is? I don't think so, unless there is some great benefit for him to be derived by him. I don't see him opening up his mouth and sharing that information, because For one, if he is indeed the type of criminal that we think that he is, then being labeled a snitch isn't something that is a very flattering label, and if you're in and out of jail, you don't want to have that label on you. It might be more important to maintain your reputation, as fearsome as that might be, rather than being labeled as being the guy that ratted somebody out. That isn't looked upon too kindly.
Speaker 2: That's what I'm thinking as well. I mean, he is serving an 80-year sentence, so for him to talk, they would have to offer him, like, a major deal, like, release him out of prison right away so that he's not caught in jail with the label as a snitch. But at the same time, he's a really dangerous person, so I think the police would be reluctant to let him free, even if he did, like, give up his accomplices. I mean, I find it odd a little bit that Foxworth never positively identified Williford as an attacker while he was alive, but he did say that his name was Tee, And we know that Williford's middle name is Tyrone. So maybe this is a case where Foxworth knew his street name but did not know his real name. And that's why he didn't give him up. But it is a frustrating situation. And by chance, if Williford was innocent, then this would be the wildest twist that two people have been wrongly convicted of two separate crimes and the real killer has got away with it both times and has still never been identified.
Speaker 1: I mean, if that is the case and he was wrongfully convicted, that would just be a wild twist. And it opens up the possibility that he could have been. I just, I'm with you. I'm less likely to believe that Williford is wrongfully incarcerated. And it just so happens that he was having an affair potentially with a law enforcement agent's girlfriend. And that those comments were made that that's what he gets for, you know, hooking up with my girl or whatever. And then it's easy for him to cling to that and go, see, see, I'm not responsible. They planted forensic evidence before with Juan. Look at the blood on the sneakers, the sneakers that he couldn't have worn. So to think that there is my DNA then on the gas can and on the tape and all of these things, well, that could have been planted. So it's a good defense for Williford, but do I believe that it's necessarily valid? Probably not.
Speaker 2: Because I'm thinking, like, if Williford was the orchestrator of this, like, he could have just brought his two accomplices and they were the ones who handled the 2x4 and the gas can while he just stood in the background. And given what a bad guy Williford is, I could see him hanging out with a friend who murdered an 11-year-old girl and raped her, like, all these years later because these scumbags keep company with each other. But even without Williford's cooperation, I do think that Hawley's case is solvable via the use of genetic genealogy, which was not available back when the DNA testing was done in the mid-2000s. But I haven't heard anything about the DNA evidence being entered into any genealogical databases, even though genetic genealogy became a thing eight years ago, back in 2018. And part of me is thinking that this is such an embarrassment for law enforcement in Illinois that maybe they're just avoiding it, saying that, Well, we don't want to humiliate like the original police officers or prosecutors by proving them wrong. So we're just not going to enter this DNA into the database to try to find the real killer and just leave them out there to commit more crimes and harm more people, which is a major shame because even though Juan Rivera has been exonerated, Holly Staker has still never received justice.
Speaker 1: And I feel like that is the problem with these cases is it really depends upon the culture of law enforcement. Or basically the culture from the top. What is the impetus to move forward and find justice? Is there a focus put on finding resolution for the family, finding out who truly did this? Or is it more about what is public perception of us? How will we be perceived? If this information is put out there and it's proven we find who did this, will it make us look bad or will it make us look good? Will it bring up bad memories of the past and potentially a corrupt culture where there was a lot of tunnel vision and cooking the books or planting evidence? If you're trying to hide things, I can understand why you wouldn't want to bring it to light. But oftentimes when so many years have gone by, it's been a long time since 1992, that the culture shifted and the employees have shifted so much that there's a completely different outlook about trying to solve these old cases. Because in the end, it only makes you look good when you can provide that resolution for the family, and you can potentially punish the person who's responsible if they're still alive. And that's just the thing, is you could have been dealing with somebody who's 40 years old at the time in 1992, and they might be getting up there in age at this point. So The clock really is ticking on this, and I agree with you. I think it's solvable. They have semen. There's really no reason why they shouldn't be exploring the possibilities here. We've seen since we started podcasting, your Listverse article, basically every single John and Jane Doe has been given their name back, correct? Yes.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, because that was one where I wrote a list about 10 unidentified decedents in 2013, and over the course of the past decade, they have used genetic genealogy to identify... each and every one of them. And another prominent example of where they finally solved an old cold case where there were major screw-ups was the Austin Yogurt Shop murders, which happened last year where they used genetic genealogy to posthumously identify a suspect named Robert Eugene Brashers as the real killer. And this was a case where they originally charged four innocent men with the crime after two of them made a false confession. And it turned out that Brashers was a full-fledged serial killer who murdered a number of different victims in different states before he shot himself during a standoff with police. And I think they only finally decided to do proper testing on the DNA when the old guard was long retired, when they had new, younger, fresh people in power who said, I don't care about what happened in the past, I just want to solve this and find out who really committed this crime. And that could be why when they finally solve Holly Staker's case, maybe some ambitious young person will decide, let's test the DNA and find out who actually did this. Because they did a documentary series on the Austin Yogurt Shop murders on HBO Max and recently released a new episode about the resolution in that case. And they interview one of the original detectives who made the original arrest. And he's still claiming that the four people he arrested were guilty and that, oh, they must have committed the crime with rashers as their accomplice. So they were still there. even though the DNA does not match. But it just shows that a lot of these old school cops just cannot admit when they made a mistake and it takes the younger people to finally do the right thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I feel like in those cases, it's like a sunk cost fallacy in that they believe, the law enforcement agents potentially believe that like, I put all this time and energy and my reputation into this. And to examine the possibility that I could have been wrong and what that feels to me reputationally and personally when your, almost your entire sense of self has become integrated with with this idea that these people were the right people, that you got it right. And so anything that counters that, it almost shakes the sense of identity of certain law enforcement officers who are very invested in these cases that they investigated many, many, many years ago that were workshop murders. When you have young people like that who are murdered and multiple people, it's so shocking to a community. So it is very important and it's going to leave a mark on law enforcement officers so to contend with the idea that like I got this wrong I potentially could have got this wrong in so many years what I believed was incorrect is a lot so I understand where law enforcement officers are coming from when they brutally cling to the incorrect conclusion and It might not be like what is ideal, but I can understand it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think that's probably the same thing with the Holly Stakers, where the people who put Juan Rivera in prison are probably convincing themselves that they got the right person all along, because it's hard to grasp for the possibility that you put an innocent person in prison for a long time. and let a real killer get away with it, because it's the same thing with Robert Eugene Brashers. He went on to kill a lot of other people after he got away with the yogurt shop murders, and it's the same thing with Holly Steger's killer. We know that he was complicit in at least one more murder, and if they do identify him, it would not surprise me in the least if they find out that he was like a full-fledged serial killer who has a whole bunch of victims. So one final tragic note I wanted to mention is that when Juan Rivera's conviction was overturned, they interviewed Holly's twin sister Heather, and she still believed that Juan was guilty and said to the media, why would he confess to this crime if he didn't do it? But in her case, I can't really blame her for saying that because obviously the Staker family has been lied to a long time by law enforcement and prosecutors and probably still hold the belief that They were trying to do the right thing. They were trying to get justice for Holly. I don't know if Heather still believes Juan was guilty all these years later, but I do find that's a common theme in wrongful conviction cases where the victim's family, even after the innocent person is exonerated, they will still cling to the belief that the right person was caught all along because I guess it's better than facing the truth that the real killer is still out there and no one in law enforcement is doing anything to try to find them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we see this in all different fields. We see it in science, too. When new evidence is brought for a new theory, there's a lot of deniers out there, and they'll deny, deny, deny until it becomes untenable, and the evidence is so overwhelming that they have to concede and say, okay, I guess that is the new conclusion. It's just when things are very personal to us, and what could be more personal than Holly Staker's family? and the way that they felt about her murder, about the treatment of Holly, about all of these different trials, and about the fact that they keep bringing Juan to trial. I would think even the family has to think that they have to believe that this is the right person. And it's more convenient to have somebody to blame, to have a face to say, this is the monster that did this to Holly, rather than, what if they got it wrong and the monster is still out there? That is a worse conclusion. So I can also understand where the family's coming from in not wanting to potentially face the idea that Juan is not the right person. All of this evidence is kind of junk evidence. And they ignored all of these things to kind of cook the books, like the knife. the planting of the shoes with the blood on them, and then also with the ankle monitor. There's so many different things that line up here. And also the false confession, the 26 hours. I feel like that is cruel and unusual punishment, especially when we're dealing with somebody who has diminished mental capacity. He is just under what would have been the average. Like, I think the median is like 100, but 80 to 120 is in the average range. He's 79. And it felt like they were taking advantage of that. So my heart breaks for the family because it feels like law enforcement really did sell them that Juan was the guy. And for them to be attached to it is not, like you said, it's not atypical for families in cases where there's wrongful convictions.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's a sad thing. So I hope they've come to peace with the fact, especially since they found DNA from the killer in another murder that took place while Juan was in prison. But it is just so sad that the Saker family has had to go over 30 years now without receiving justice of any kind. So yeah, I remember when I did this one on The Trail Went Cold, I found the whole situation infuriating that I even used a bit of profanity to describe Mike Mermel. And I remember someone posting on Facebook once, Oh my God, Robin Warder swore! But now that you've heard the details of the case, I'm sure you can understand why.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, like this is a case where if you were going to drop an F-bomb, like this would be the case to do it on. And, I mean, Mermal. That doesn't even sound like a real name.
Speaker 2: I know. Sounds like a wormy, like, slimy type of person. It kind of fits his personality. So, yeah, that about brings an end to our discussion about the murder of Holly Staker. And would you say that this is probably one of the most egregious wrongful convictions you've ever seen?
Speaker 1: Absolutely. I feel like the evidence here was thin. They really, they had nothing. When it comes down to what they had, is they had a false confession that was derived after these inhumane conditions were presented. We don't know if food and drink were provided or bathroom breaks, but I do feel like it violates the Geneva Convention. I do not think that any human being should ever have to endure what Juan endured. And it just comes down to why people will make a false confession or why they will say these things. And Ashley would always talk about the Reed technique and how it was a wonderful way to elicit confessions from the guilty, but it's also a wonderful way to elicit confessions from the innocent. That is the problem. And so we don't know if they were using the Reed technique here, but it would have been the time period where that would have been a very popular approach. And so, I just feel like Juan was very unprotected, that they had decided that he was the guy and that this was convenient. They needed somebody and he was going to say that he did it. And so they fed him details. They focused on him, took their focus away from who the real killer was. And whether or not law enforcement truly believed that Juan was guilty or not is up for debate. I can't say. I haven't spoken to any of them. I don't know if they were invested because they needed protection. to have an answer because of political pressure or if they truly believed that he was the guy and maybe they believed the false confessions weren't a thing. I just can't know, but this has got to be one of the most frustrating cases that I think I've ever heard.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly. Like we talked about wrongful convictions are bad enough, but ones in which you cause additional trauma to the victim's family are even more egregious. And the fact that they tried to taint Holly Staker's reputation by trying to like paint her as sexually active and promiscuous is, at the age of 11, just to get a conviction on an innocent man is one of the more disgusting things I've ever seen in one of the cases we've covered. So that about brings an end to our discussion about the murder of Holly Staker and the wrongful conviction of Juan Rivera. Thank you so much for your continued support, and we'll be back next week to talk about another case.
Speaker 3: Robin, do you want to tell us a little bit about the Trail Went Cold Patreon?
Speaker 2: Yes, the Trail Went Cold Patreon has been around for three years now, and we offer the standard paychecks bonus features like early ad-free episodes, and I also send out stickers and sign thank you cards to anyone who signs up with us on Patreon. If you join our $ 5 tier, Tier 2, we also offer monthly bonus episodes in which I talk about cases which are not featured on the Trail Went Cold's original feed, so they're exclusive to Patreon. And if you join our highest tier, Tier 3, the $ 10 tier, one of the features we offer is an audio commentary track over classic episodes of Unsolved Mysteries, where you can download an audio file and then boot up the original Unsolved Mysteries episode on Amazon Prime or YouTube and play it with my audio commentary playing in the background, where I just provide trivia and factoids about the cases featured in this episode. And incidentally, the very first episode that I did a commentary track over was the episode featuring this case. So if you want to download a commentary track in which I make more smart-ass remarks about Jewel Kaler, then be sure to join Tier 3.
Speaker 3: So I want to let you know a little bit about the Jewels and Ashley Patreon. So there's early ad-free episodes of The Path Went Chilly. We've got our Path Went Chilly minis, which are always over an hour. So they're not very mini, but they're just too short to turn into a series. And we're really enjoying doing those. We hope you'll check out those Patreons. We'll link them in the show notes.
Speaker 2: So I want to thank you all for listening. And any chance you have to share us on social media with a friend or to rate and review is greatly appreciated. You can email us at thepathwentchili at gmail.com. You can reach us on Twitter at thepathwentchili. So until next time, be sure to bundle up because cold trails and chilly paths call for warm clothing.
Speaker 3: Music by Paul Rich from the podcast Cold Callers Comedy.