Speaker 1: St.
Speaker 2: John Hart Jane Phillips in Bortlesville.
Speaker 3: Good morning, and welcome to the Green Country Gardener Program right here on K one AM fourteen hundred, FM ninety three point three and FM ninety five point one. The Green Country Gardner Program with our expert learning class is brought to you by Green Colum Nursery and Greenhouses United, Reynolds, Kelly Banks, Tree Service, Roman's Outdoor Power Accent, Pest Control, Ascension, Saint John, Jane Phillips and Gateway First Back. Good morning, good morning, good morning, welcome, welcome, welcoma this time now for the Green Country Gardener Program. And our phone line is open at seven three six. I'm Tom Davis. I just dance the phones around here. And he is Larry Glass. He's our expert. He knows things.
Speaker 1: How you doing, Larry? Okay? Well right, yeah? Interesting?
Speaker 3: Whether we've been having here some moisture, we've been getting some of that. It looks like we're going to get some wintry uh, wintry garbage.
Speaker 1: Wintry garbage. Not a mix. I can't work out on that.
Speaker 3: So what so what what how we how are we addressing you this time of year? I know there's a lot of things that we can do a lot of things we just need to kind of prepare ourselves for.
Speaker 1: So where are we, Well, we're we're in Bartlesville.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I mean on the lawn and garden count guard.
Speaker 1: Well, he took his medicine today. This is kind of no. I don't take any medicine anyway, at a turning point right now. Yeah, And we had one day of seventy degrees. Oh yeah, it was nice and the phone never stopped ringing. I bet, what do we need to plant?
Speaker 4: That was.
Speaker 1: Truly February. Actually, February is one of our snowier months, it is. I noticed that I remember a few years ago February the eleventh, I remember that we had what three hundred inches of snow or something.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was it was a good storm. Yeah, we were out driving around at it. We're the old people on the road.
Speaker 1: Why is it that the first thing people do it snows to go driving?
Speaker 3: Well, because I actually Susie does the driving. I've got the the go to work, the Facebook, the Facebook live thing, and we always do.
Speaker 1: The road conditions. Okay.
Speaker 3: So, and she was born and raised in Green Bay, Wisconsin, and she's got maybe a little bit of a dge on folks when it comes to driving in such conditions.
Speaker 1: We had that snow. I pushed an ambulance out with your truck, all mighty.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Larry's got this truck from the seventies and that is the truck.
Speaker 1: Almighty. I helped him get out to get unstuck. Leave it to Chicago boys. That's quite a deal. But anyway, despite our weather, the soil moisture content is really good. That's great. That's that's the big plus. Right at the point where Harry at the winter and it's getting ready to drop off in the spring order to go up in whatever. So now it's some time to do some planning. Now. Last weekend when it was warm, also used some roundup on my weeds. How that worked, but they're not growing. Well, that's good you rounded them up. They're not growing, But it takes a bit of time when it's cold like this, and and the little hairy things, you know, the hairs on so I put a surfaction in it there. You go to go through that into the leaf ward has to go. So if you're going to use some round up on something. A lot of the spring weeds have a little tiny hairs, so they need to put in there or some kind of yeah, little soapy stuff, Yeah, a little sticky stuff and it makes the water wetter so it stays on the leaf real Yeah, so that that was pretty cool. I've been trying to see some evidence of change in the plants, but at least they're not growing. That's a good thing. Between that and old rocks from that fiber optic installation. Wow, is that working out? Oh good night. This is the second time from my yard too, because.
Speaker 3: You had Company one go drilling and then you got Company two coming in.
Speaker 1: These people are going to try to do the same thing the other one did, and I almost told you ain't gonna work, buddy. You need a geological study here, folks. Right there, the intersection is on top of a huge rock.
Speaker 3: They they'd be better off trying to drill through a meteorite.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it'll take quite a rocket ship to do that. But nonetheless, uh, well, they'll find out that it's ain't gonna do it drills again. They'll probably take that big orange pipe and go up over the road and back down the other side. Maybe, I don't know. So when the first group came in, they were they were surveying and everything. You said, you're gonna run a pipe through here? He said, yeah, I said, I told you have my deepest sympathy. Take them three weeks this time. What they did they between that little gap between the sidewalk and the street, they pulled out the biggest rocks. I mean they're huge, the big rocks. I said, thank you. They hauled the big ones away with the little ones back in the ground. So anyway, so much for that anyway in the garden right now, Uh, soil test is good to do right now if you if you haven't had any good luck with your with your vegetables or your flowers in the yard, it might be due to some of the chemistry and the soil, so you might want to do a soil test. So that's pretty easy to do. You go to the extension agent with some soil and don't do it in one area. If you're doing it for your line, you do samples from different parts of the yard. Okay, put them in a jar and shaken. Don't don't touch it though that can affect the test. You want to put it in a jar and shake it up and they'll give you a chemical analysis. It's pretty thorough really. Sometimes when we do a project commercial projects downtown, it was a requirement to have a soil test done, so we did that and actually didn't need anything. So, but it's a good idea to do that if your if your stuff's not doing very well. So it could be a mineral depletion, it could be just maybe over use of a chemicals. That happens a lot when you use constantly use the weed control over and over over again, and we don't have a lot of rain associated with the weather, it tends to build up in the soil and that can cause some problems. Pre Emergents are pretty bad about that too. A couple of years ago we had a problem with that all over time grass is simply wasn't growing. Neither were the weeds. It's like mars, you know, and that's that uh, And you probably need to apply some gyps into the soil or or hope it rains to kind of flush it out a little bit. Because it does, it can build up into the soil. So if you're not having luck with that that it might be chemical, It might be a p h. It might be the soil structure perhaps, or lack of death soil depth perhaps, but and putting sod down won't solve the problem. I get a lot they're supposed to sod on top. Well, if you don't solve the problem why your grass isn't growing, putting salt on it won't help. It'll just do exactly the same thing. So if you're not having good luck growing during your lawn, I see a lot of this too. My yard's one. Maybe because it doesn't hold the water. It's just too much, too much build up. Perhaps to that and chip gypsum will help a whole lot for that gyp some castilum sulfate C A SL or two H two O, and it doesn't it doesn't really affect the pH the soil that much, but it does help break up the clay a little bit and helps the migration of the materials back out of the riot zone of the soil.
Speaker 3: My goodness, we've got some science going on here.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So anyway, I think I'll put some gyps in on my yard. Maybe that'll help this year. There you go, so okay, anyway, that's kind of what they do. What you need to think about and what you need to make an assess of what your guard looks like, and the grass looks like and all that other stuff. And I was at a house this week too, and her hollies just weren't doing break well. No, And I said, well, you're living in a part of town where there's the bait. The parent material of the soil is limestone, and imagine your pH is a little too high for hollies. So you want some holly type fertilizer and some iron iron sulfate wouldn't hurt it either, But if you get the wrong kind of iron sulfate, it will stain your sidewalks. So we have some that doesn't do that. So I helped her out and applied it for watered and all that. So so, Larry, you helped me so much. He gets that all the time. I get that all the time. But anyway, so we'll see what happens to them there. And these hollies are planted right on the close of the foundation too, And when they when they do the brick work, the mortar just hits the ground and then the builder shoves a bunch of dirt over it. And then you turn the soil over and gets that C A C O three in there and and it raises the p H too high. Then your plant Holly's and they go, Boxo's doing great. She has a box Yeah, pH is right away after the eve of the house. It was one of those green towers where they're kind of narrow and up right and yeah, but anyway, and it's doing great. But the a is next to it are that, and so it just needs a little needs a little love and attention pH adjustment. Yeah, boxwoods can tolerate a wide range of pH numbers. It's not really they're more tolerant, if you will. These are the others are more specific exactly. It depends on their their native habitat. Uh uh. They typically and igneous based soils like in the Appalachians areas like that with the volcanic soil, if you will, And it tends to be more acid because the leaves from the trees that fall down that's what makes the soil in the forest tends to have a lower pH two. For instance, uh in Ashville around builtmore these huge rhododendrons. It's as big as a house to grow. They just and I lived in Georgia for quite some time. We used through these l's in the ground. Didn't worry about peat moss or anything.
Speaker 3: They did great, but here it doesn't work that way. They need they need an altered soil type. So we use a lot of peat moths which has a pH at five point five, which is perfect for them. So knowing your soil chemistry and your soil structure is very important and picking out your plants too. So there are some hollies that will tolerate the high pH A dwarf.
Speaker 1: Upon holly as one. I use that quite a bit just for kind of a low growing shrubs here and there they do well. And yop On holly is the same thing. But our shrub of the week this week is falster holly, and I found this one to have a bit of tolerance soil types too. It's actually it's a cross rotein an American holly and some other holly. Anyway, it's a medium to fine texture, upright growing holly. It's a native habitat. Is come upright thing up to thirty five feet tall. That's a holy holly. Yeah. And some people put them to the left and the right of the front door perhaps, and you have to carve a tunnel through it to get into the house. So this is really not one you want to put close to the ouse. Use this for screening or back drops or something, but don't put it at the corner of the house. It looks real nice when you get them just typically the growers prune them and sculpt them to be upright. Growing plants are the good for like your back fence. Yeah, the back fence or screen. If you have a real big tall house, they do fine too. It'll scale with it, okay, but a one story house it'll look like it looks like you just got absorbed. So this night I found that it's a bit more. It's very adaptable to many solilotops. Well, it must have a pH five point five to six. It will rate six pH, which is kind of what's going on. Like what in the park, for instance, is about five and a half in some parts, and it does pretty well over there. So it's kind of slow growing. And if it gets too big you can whack it back. They take a good string you can. You can skeletonize this thing really and it'll come out just fine. I like yopon Hollis. Yeah, I did that to mine last weekend. Wow. It's a pride of Houston And I had to use a pick to get it in the ground. And and I never thought it would grow that large. And that's that's too big. So I got the salls all up there, just butchered thing. It was like a hack crack right now, a hat rack. But the thing is about the yop on Hollies is it will come back and make a really nice looking shrub. So we'll talk a little bit more about that. Break. Okay, let's do that.
Speaker 3: It's eight twenty one and once again, our phone number is one eight hundred and seven nine three six. You are listening to the Green Country Gardener program. We'll be back after this two minute time out.
Speaker 4: If you're a do it yourself for the place you need to go, and the place you need to know is United Rental. A wise man once said, if the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem will.
Speaker 1: Look like a nail.
Speaker 4: Finding out what you need is what the professionals at United Rentals are great at doing. You've noticed when you finally get the right tool or equipment for the job, how easy it is to fix. Well, that's what the experts do at United Rentals every day. United Rentals on the southeast corner of Highway sixty and seventy five United Rentals.
Speaker 5: Did you know that Greendom Nursery in Greenhouses is home to Bartlesville's largest selection of quality plants. It's cold out, but you can keep your house looking warm on the inside with tropical plants from green Tham. They have the best selection of tropicals to choose from. And starting January first through March, hours of operation will be Friday and Saturday ten to four. That's Green Thumb Nursery and Greenhouses.
Speaker 2: On the Water Road. Who do I call to get my trees trimmed?
Speaker 6: Killybin Tree Service? Who can grind up these stumps in my yard? Kelly Banks Tree Service. There's a dead tree right by my house and I'm nervous.
Speaker 1: It might fall. Well, you better call Kelly Banks Tree Service.
Speaker 2: What's that number?
Speaker 7: It's nine one eight three three five seven thousand. It's nine one eight day three five seven zero zero zero.
Speaker 6: Call it today for your tree trimming, stump grinding and tree removal needs.
Speaker 7: That's nine one eight three three five seven zero zero zero nine one eight day three five seven thousand.
Speaker 8: Paralyzed Veterans of America National Service Officers.
Speaker 7: We've got an entire generation of men and women who have seen war, they're gonna need voices.
Speaker 1: Paralyzed Veterans of America represents.
Speaker 8: Them changing lives, building futures. That's Paralyzed Veterans of America. To learn more, visit PVA dot org. A public service message from Paralyzed Veterans of America.
Speaker 3: Welcome back to the Green Country Gardener Program. It is a twenty four forty degrees and our phone line is one eight seven three six. I'm Tom Davison. If you're looking for the expert, Like the song says, it ain't me, it's Larry, Larry Glass.
Speaker 1: Larry, what do we have? We were talking about yopon holliy. Yeah, in my house, I have one yopon Holly that's shaped kind of like this oriental sort of look different layers at least really nice up against the rock of the house. And then there's one that's this round thing. Another one the one I just butchered up. I want to kind of shape it kind of free form too. But these because they do tolerate heavy pruning. You know, they get too big, you cut them back rather significantly actually, so they're pretty versatile plants in that instance, right though. There and then there's the dwarfiew upon holly and a customer texted me and said, how do I cut this back? And said, you just flat, don't don't cut it around the edge, but cut it flat across the top. Yeah, and it will assume a natural hemispherical shape that way. And that's how you keep them from getting too tall. I've seen people with dwarf youelp on Holly's that are shoulder high, and you can still cut them back and they'll come back to be a nice little shrub again. Well, you know, but anyway, what the what why there's a good around here is that there they can tolerate the variations and soil type and soil chemistry. They can tolerate a wide variety of conditions and still do okay. And one thing you can tell if your opon or a holly is happy, it's the size of the leaf. Typically, if the leaf is real small compared to what it really should be, there are typically they're about the size of a the eraser on your pencil. Yeah, about about that big for those of you with color radio. And and if they're if they're starting to get progressively smaller and the internode is getting shorter, then they probably need some fertilizer or perhaps maybe a slight pH adjustment too. She can use a Hooli type fertilizer on it. On mine, I give them just iron sulfate every year, and they have these really deep glossy green leaves on really really nice and they do very well put on the box was too. They respond very well to iron sulfate. So does my sidewalk is orange? Well, my wife went to issue, so that all comes together. I'll find you just like. But anyway, so iron and are soil here typically is low and iron and that's probably one of the one of the things we sell the most is iron based fertilizer just because of our your plants greener, our young soil here. Yeah, and it also helps your your lawn to yeah. Yeah that bermutilons can get kind of lackluster and you know, and poor licking. But if you put that iron iron sulfate on it, it'll green darker in the green color, even darker than it's always a grass or fescue if you put enough on there. Good. So uh, that's a problem with our soil here is the trace element content is relatively low because our soil is relatively young, relatively speaking, I.
Speaker 9: Guess anyway, four point one billion, yeah, or we have a geriniums migrating to the to the retail greenhouse right now.
Speaker 1: We're getting all excited about the geraniums. We got lots of them, so they're they're coming on right now.
Speaker 3: Don't you grow so many that you have to export them like all around the world.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we have. We have some contracts for outfits and Tulsa we grow them for and all that. So yeah, so we grow a lot of them and they're looking really good this year. They trust someone with a green thumb, Yeah, of course. So anyway, we have those and we have a great selection of houseplants right now. We do have a sale on on some tropicals. There's some tropicals that are sixty percent off. Wow, they're against the west wall of the greenhouse. And then they kind of look at those and see so they're they're pretty cool too. And it's people like to come in and just kind of groove around the waterfall. Well, it is a cool little waterfall. How long has that been there since the eighties? Yeah, helped I built that thing back then, and you know what, it's still pretty dark cool. Yeah, it's a solid concrete. I used a compression intension forms to build that, okay, and it worked out really well. And in the middle of it are three oil drums empty of course, as a as a compression form on the thing going on one over here, two over there, and then went over there, and you just got to go buy business. It's pretty cool. You can't see the oil drums there, you can't. They're probably rusted out by now to serve a purpose. But yeah, it's a compression form.
Speaker 3: It is all right. We're going to take a quick break. We're going to be right back after these two minute time out.
Speaker 2: Radiology exams often cause many people fear and anxiety. Trust it easy to understand information about ct MRI and X ray exams can help ease that anxiety. Visit radiologyinfo dot org. You'll find reliable, up to date information on more than two hundred and thirty five radiology procedure exam and disease descriptions. Radiologyinfo dot org offers patient safety information, medical images, and screening and wellness information. You'll also find videos featuring radiologists describing what to expect and how to prepare. The site is totally free doesn't require registration and is available in English and Spanish. Best of all, radiologyinfo dot org is continually reviewed by medical experts to ensure that it is accurate and up to date. Get the information you need by visiting radiologyinfo dot org. Produced by the Radiological Society of North America and the American College of Radiology.
Speaker 10: Those were the days a little risk never scared us. Hands tight, plans loose. He'd cruise down drags with our favorite bands about good times with loose quarters, and every night we had standing dates with the same friends. Life was simpler back then. We hustled, we bumped, you bust stopped, and we smoked all the time. If that was you, then get your lungs screened now.
Speaker 11: Visit screen your Lungs dot org today.
Speaker 1: And welcome back to the Green Country Gardner program.
Speaker 3: It's eight thirty two forty five degrees and one eight hundred seven.
Speaker 1: Nine three six.
Speaker 3: That is our telephone number that'll get you on board if you have a question for Larry Glass.
Speaker 1: Okay, Larry, where are we here? Well, one thing that will really prod not the landscape is some multch fresh mult We did that for a customer. We raked out all the old bults that that the squirrels didn't take out and put fresh mulch on and we have a good supply of a fine textured cedar mult At this point it looked really nice. It really freshened it up pretty so she liked that. So we built some planter beds and he goes on and we did a drip system there too for the plants. We use a copper colored drip tube and you run it there for a reliable water supply. Yeah, anyway, and it's looked up to the timer, the sprinter timer. All that worked out pretty well. So so that was a good time to maybe look at your landscape and decide what you might want to do this coming spring. I have an appointment after the show, of course you do. You busy to talk to some of these landscape also, so planning is rainportant. I got some plans on the on the books going and they got to ship them out and so on, so we're very busy. Anyway, look at your house and does it really look like you want? Could it look better? You know, instead of you know, doing a lot of things to the house, Maybe perhaps the landscape would help it out be a more cost effective means by which improving the appearance of the house. So you need to kind of look at it and critique it. Actually, you drive around town and see see some other houses and see what they look like, and perhaps well I like that and you come home, so so you might want to look at evaluate the appearance of your house and see if it really looked like you wanted to and we could do that. We do. What I do is I'm going to do this thing, go out to the house and meet with the customer, kind of get a feeling for what they want, and then measure everything to some pictures and build their house virtually in three dimensions and then do the landscape around us so they can see what it looks like from above or from a perspective point. And what's really popular is said, well, what's your cell phone number? And I'll send them a text and then be at with the pictures. Wow, that's great. There it is. Yeah, you can see it then see what it looks like, and you get a kind of an idea of the costs as well. So people are really they're kind of getting away from email and they're going more to this texting because it's with you all the time, and they get get an alert from from my phone whatever, and whoa look at that. You know, look, honey, this is how good our yard could look. And then we can negotiate back and forth on that to change, you know, adjust the plants or whatever the budget to so, or I can phase it one face two face three kind of thing to take it easy on it. Just kind of agree. But I find a lot of people just want to get it done, get it, forget it, yeah, yeah, just not have to worry about, well, this is what I'm going to do. This is the next year, because they forget I know I do. So let's let's just get it done. Yeah, so that's kind of what we do. That's great. But with the advent of these little celery phones, uh and actually I submit it in a resolution high enough. It takes a offer to upload, but you can shoot it to your printer and get a good there you go. That way, you've got a nice full full frame picture of it. You know, most people have printers at home and all that, and their phones will bluetooth through them or whatever, and then then you can send it. I do it all the time with the nursery bluetooth, send it to our printer or not necessarily the bluetooth, just send the text. Well they're connected, connected to the modem thing yea on the internet deal and then then he goes to the printer zoom that way. So I'm sure that the previous program will explain that. But I'm a horticulturist, not a I just sent the pretty pictures. They don't ask me how they get there. They call you how to grow it's on that picture. How that picture gets there. So anyway, preparing your house to improve its appearance, there is one thing you can do right now. You have that done, so you know how what's gonna look like, how much is gonna cost. You can also look at your current plants and maybe they just need to be trammed back. What I mentioned earlier with the dwarf philip on holidays, Yeah, they can be or the standardy opines they can be cut back rather sternly and do quite well.
Speaker 3: So we have a color we do. Good morning, Welcome to the Green Country Gardener Program. You're a question or comment for Larry.
Speaker 1: Killow.
Speaker 3: All right, treat again. Hi, Welcome to the Green Country Gardener Program. Your question to comment for Larry.
Speaker 12: Well, I have a blue spruce tree that is probably about ninety years old, so about my height now, and it's been doing really well. But just recently I noticed the bottom limb is looking dead. Is there's some fertilizer I should be putting on it or to keep it from listening more bottom limb?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you don't want to overfertilize. Let's push tree to begin with. It sounds like it could be it could.
Speaker 12: Be needed to never have fertilized it ever, So.
Speaker 7: Well, no wonder kidding, kidding, No, it's doing real well.
Speaker 12: So I figured they had enough of everything it needed. Now I've got the one limb looking dead bottom.
Speaker 1: Look, look uh on the on the limb. If it's if it's a single limb like that, it's probably a or a borer insect in the in the stem. So follow the trunk or the stem back to the trunk and if you see some bleeding coming out, some dried sap on the side of the branch, it could be a borer problem. Typically, if it's a single branch like that, that that's what it is.
Speaker 12: If it would be doing that, even in this type of weapon.
Speaker 1: It occurred last summer. Yeah, yeah, and it takes it takes a while for it the manifest the way it looks now.
Speaker 12: A drainage, is that going to show now.
Speaker 1: Or yeah, you should be able to you should be able to see some white sap coming out on the side of the branch. And and if if, if that's the case, then you put some we have a meta culprid, which is a systemic uh insecticide, it'll it'll knock them out pretty good.
Speaker 12: Matter what.
Speaker 1: A meda culprid, I know the names of this stuff. A systemic insecticide will do very well to control that. If that is a problem.
Speaker 12: So, if that's what it is, do I need to put it on now?
Speaker 1: It takes it a while to get into the tree because of the rather slow metabolism of the of the spruce. So yeah, you want you don't want to do it pretty soon to try to get it get ahead of them, that is, if that is the problem. Another thing to look for. It's just physical damage. Something could have got in there and broken the branch or something. Yeah, that could be If that's the problem, then you probably don't have any bores. But so a super.
Speaker 12: Branch unlikely that something grows the branch, yeah.
Speaker 1: Okay, then it's probably a borer insect. But if it's not spreading to the other branches, and it's a very specific branch is getting it not the others, then it's something wrong with that branch.
Speaker 12: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And typically if fungus will affect the whole thing, it'll go more than one branch. But I wouldn't a specific like that. I would look for border damage.
Speaker 12: Okay, Now I have another question. Sure, uh in the spring garden, and what is a good timing for planning celery? And it will celery prosper here.
Speaker 1: In our I think it gets a little too hot too quick for celery here, So.
Speaker 12: It's too hot to grow celery. Well, it's even if we plant it real early or real late in the year, you might.
Speaker 1: Get some small stalks out of it, but it just gets too hot for the most I really don't know if anybody who's had a might call in if they have good luck growing cellary here, but it would be my first thing to grow here in Oklahoma. This is Okra country.
Speaker 12: Yeah, I do well with okra. Yeah, okay, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right now in the garden, plant radishes and turn it not too early for turnips, but and lettuce and things like that. All right, thank you very much for you call. We're going to be right back.
Speaker 3: We've got to break and we'll be back after this two minute time out.
Speaker 5: Did you know that Green Thumb Nursery and Greenhouses is home to Bartlesville's largest selection of quality plants. It's cold out, but you can keep your house looking warm on the inside with tropical plants from Green Thumb. They have the best selection of tropicals to choose from. And starting January first through March, hours of operation will be Friday and Saturday ten to four. That's Green Thumb Nursery and Greenhouses on the Water Road.
Speaker 6: Who do I call to get my trees trimmed? Kelly Banks Tree Service? Who can grind up these stumps in my yard? Kelly Banks Tree Service. There's a dead tree right by my house and I'm nervous it might fall.
Speaker 1: Well, you better call Kelly Banks Tree Service.
Speaker 2: What's that number?
Speaker 7: It's nine one eight three three five seven thousand. It's nine one eight day three five seven zero zero's zero.
Speaker 6: Call it today for your tree trimming, stub glinding and tree removal needs.
Speaker 7: That's none one eight three three five seven, zero zero zero nine one eight they three five seven thousand.
Speaker 13: Were you born from nineteen forty five to nineteen sixty five. People born during these years are five times more likely to have hepatitis C. But most people don't know they are infected. So even if you try to eat rite, exercise, and take care of yourself, you can still have hepatitis C, a serious liver disease that often has no symptoms. In fact, people can live with hepatitis C for decades without feeling or looking sick. But over time, hepatitis C can cause serious health problems, including liver damage, liver failure, or even liver cancer. Getting tested is the only way to know if you're infected with hepatitis C. That's why the CDC recommends everyone born from nineteen forty five to nineteen sixty five get a blood test for hep tightest C treatments are available that can cure this disease, so talk to your doctor about getting tested.
Speaker 1: It could save your life. A message from the CDC don't even won't need sens.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all right, welcome, welcome, welcome, It's back to the Green Country Gardener Program eight forty three and a half and we've got the phones. They're ringing right now at one eight hundred seven nine three six. If you want to get on board, I'm sure we'll have a line open here for you right here on the Green Country Garden Program. I'm Tom, He's Larry, and let's go to the phone real quick. Good morning, and welcome to the Green Country Gardener Program. Your question or comment for Larry.
Speaker 12: Glass Well, I asked my connection a minute ago. But oh, also, I have a question about is this a good time to be plant and rubarb?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you want to get it in if you want to get it into real early too. Rubarb doesn't like the heat very well.
Speaker 12: Okay, do they do better in the shade, then they do better.
Speaker 1: At Illinois we had rub barb all over the place without kids. Up in Chicago, we had rubarb all over the place, good stuff. But here it just doesn't like our heat too much.
Speaker 12: Well, I had a plant for a few years and then I lost it to uh spray in a wast nest in it. So I wanted to get something going again.
Speaker 1: Okay, we can give it a shot. I would say, if you have some shielding in during the heat of the day, it'll probably do.
Speaker 12: Okay, okay, so acting shade would be.
Speaker 1: Good for him a little bit.
Speaker 12: Yeah, just had it before.
Speaker 1: And good air drainage would help also, so it doesn't sit in stagnant air. So yeah, so yeah, yeah ruber. Actually it's kind of an aesthetically appealing to It's got a rather a large leaf on it, so it's kind of an attractive plant as well.
Speaker 9: Yeah yeah, okay, all right, pretty good, Thank you, Thank you for calling.
Speaker 1: Let us know when the pie is done. I love Yeah, that's my father's favorite pie. And finally we found there's a there was one of those pie places in Tulfa. Oh yeah, yeah, and when we lived down there at the time, Uh, he'd come down and we go get him a rhubarb pie. He just loved it. Is rubarb something you can just pull out of the ground and eats that have to be You eat the stems, yeah, yeah, you don't eat the leaves. No, be leaves I believe are somewhat toxic. They are. I just want to make sure that delineation.
Speaker 3: Because we used to pull it, you know, wash it off.
Speaker 1: Ye just talk. Yeah, but the leaves are yeah, you just the stalks. Yeah, it has an interesting flavor to it too. Oh you'll get your attention, especially if it's not cooked. Yea, we you're awake. So anyway, so yeah, so yeah, rubarb will do. Sparagus is pretty well here too, but in the summertime they're going to look like an old dishrag, you know.
Speaker 3: Sparagus on the grill. Susie does that. She's never burned that.
Speaker 1: It always just comes out perfect. It's just like I've never had grilled with asparagus before. Oh, you ain't live, brother, So we'll have to begin to have to get some for Valentine's Day.
Speaker 3: Nothing says I love you like asparagus here, honey, you have a few stalks, get in the kitchen and get no good.
Speaker 1: Sorry, that's wrong.
Speaker 3: Okay, that's when she starts digging the hole out back after you do that.
Speaker 1: Right, So anyway, back to the garden soil test crop selection for next spring. Kind of tomatoes will do pretty well and stuff like that, and we kind of o crew ye do pretty well too, And consider heirloom tomatoes pre emergence too for your your your ornamental beds. I don't like to do that in the vestable garden. Just mult heavily firm believer in Ruth Stout. Anybody really in the organic garden thing, they know who I'm talking about. I wrote the book back when I was thirteen. I was following her. Yeah that's pretty cool. Yeah, got Organic Guardening magazine when you were thirteen. Boy, I was the way last century, wasn't it. Yes, it was eighteen ninety two. Larry and are about the same age, So okay, we can do that. Weeds are a bit of a problem right now too. They're coming up everywhere. Pine tip moth on google pineses is a problem, and what I mentioned earlier, they admit a clop it would be good to help alleviate that somewhat. Did They Their their occurrence is somewhat diyffical, so we don't always have a lot of them one year the next and there's none around. So I haven't seen a whole lot of pine tip muff one moving pines lately. A Bores are going to be a problem pretty soon too, so and fruit trees. You want to avoid putting any kind of systemics on your fruit trees at this point because when they bloom, which will happen in about three or four weeks, you don't want to do nasty on the beads. So anyway, that's coming up pretty soon. Yeah, in one or two weeks or so. You can put a spinizad on there. It's a spray, it's not a systemic and it does a good job to control them. Also red stories where you put dictamacious earth around the perimeter of the trunk and it'll pierce the skin of the little little wormy crawley. You go up to the tree to kill them that way, that's good for Also for the pine trees, the pine tip moff. They're underground and they migrate up to the tree and a band of diatamasius earthworks pretty well to control them. Wow, that goes a long way. Then halfway up the tree they just kind of dry up. What would happen here? I guess that's itchy. So okay, uh, it's it's time really the middle of this month for heavy prune and hollies using endenas and Larry Opie monkey grass. I don't like to do that andinas though, and you enjoy the red color on them. We got some that are just a fire engine red. I don't want to cut it off now. Yeah, so they usually kill it rush. I'm kidding, you know, they usually don't really start growing to have some good warmth. And the red leaves are kind of so you can get those back later on. And about every other year, every third year, I take the little dwarf Nadine's and cut them almost to the ground, making me even dwarf here exactly. But they get a little kind of wobbly and you know, the rangy looking. They need a good lesson. I did just take the hedge flippers and go. That's so Kevin does eighteen cylinder diesel hedge slippers. I think I had heard of thirty two cylinder one going there. Oh yeah, yeah, got the cows going to we're next. So so right now is a good time for the yop on holidays of Foster holiday perhaps, and the and the dwarf yopen holiys and Nandine is a little bit later, and the monkey grass. It could be done now too, because it's almost the middle of the month. There's eighth it's the third of the month, third of the month. Soon it will be the last time to do any pruning on river birds trees and silver maples. The sap is running on your maple tree, so We talked about pruning maple trees back in January. So if you do it now, the sun will the sun, the sap will start running. That kind of attracts ants and things. Sot a lot of sugar in that. And I was at Lady's also squirrels for eating her maple trees. Really yeah, it was a sugar maple. Well getting a buzz. Yeah, they like that sugar, that's what they're all. It takes one to take a bite out of that. It's good stuff. And then they all start eating bark off the trail to kill the tree candy. Yeah, So if you do have that problem, uh, something bitter would work about all to keep them from doing that. And there's several sophrase you can put on there for chewing insects or chewing animals like that. Use that brand name. This doesn't taste good exactly. We have all that stuff too, So all right, we're gonna take a quick break. We'll be back after this three minute timeout.
Speaker 14: Shortly after Charles Lindbergh's transatlantic flight to Europe, the Dole Pineapple Company sponsored a race from San Francisco to Honolulu in nineteen twenty seven, Lindbergh refused to fly in it, noting he couldn't miss the continent of Europe, but he's sure as heck could miss Hawaii. Frank Phillips saw the race as a great opportunity to advertise his new Phillips Aviation fuel. Frank found his pilot, a Hollywood stunt pilot by the name of Arthur Goebbels, and named his plane the Wollarock in honor of the Ranch. Eight planes took off from San Francisco on August sixteenth, nineteen twenty seven, and only two planes finished the race. The flight took over twenty six hours and the winner was the Woolarock. Charles Lindbergh described it as the greatest event in air history. For the next year, that plane barnstormed the country advertising Philip's fuel, and finally returned to Woollarock. Mister Phillips instructed his staff to build a stone hanger for the airplane, which they did, and he stored the plane there.
Speaker 2: As he collected more and more.
Speaker 14: Art and artifacts, he stored a lot of it in that hangar until he finally had to enlarge it. Today, you know that airplane hangar is the first room of the museum. As you walk out of the dome room next time you visit, remember what that room's initial purpose was back in nineteen twenty eight. That same airplane hangs proudly today in the museum at Wollarock, where magic still happens every day. Welcome home to Wollarock.
Speaker 15: Ascension Saint John Cardiology is a leader in hardcare. From complex procedures to routine screenings, Our cardiologists care for hearts all over the Redail using the latest advancements in cutting edge technology. Our care teams listen to you and deliver the heartcare that's right for you closer to home. Make Ascension Saint John your choice for regular heartcare and your most urgent cardiac emergencies. Find the cardiologist who's right for you at Ascension dot org, slash St John.
Speaker 16: Hart, Jane Phillips and Bartlesville Hi Mike Medics from Romans Outdoor Power cover more ground with the fast, durable Cabota Sidekick, featuring a gas powered engine that delivers a top speed of forty miles per hour, best in class acceleration and handling with cargo, and a strength to haul what needs hauling. All back by a two year one thousand hour wartee get zero percent down zero percent APR for fifty four months or save up to two thousand dollars now through February sixteenth, twenty twenty five. See us or go to Caboda USA dot com for more information. Get more done right with the Cabota Sidekick Romans Outdoor Power. You're local Cabota Dealer, Highway seventy five, Bartlesville, Independence or online at Okikbota dot com.
Speaker 8: Paralyzed Veterans of America National Service Officers.
Speaker 1: We've got an entire generation of men and women who have seen war. They're going to need voices. Perilized Veterans of America represents them.
Speaker 8: Changing lives, building futures. That's Paralyzed Veterans of America. To learn more, visit TVA dot org. A public service message from Paralyzed Veterans of America.
Speaker 13: Pat my past, first mine a couple.
Speaker 3: Alrighty folks, it's back to the Green Country Gardener program, and our toll free line is open.
Speaker 1: It's six. I'm told he's Larry Glass. He's our expert. Okay, cool. Anyway, we talked about stuff to do right now in the lastiate, get your ground ready to for the vegetables. If you haven't done it. I've been raking up leaves, trimming things up and grinding them up and putting them back on the beds for mulch. Never let anything go to waste. It works pretty well. When when we went to these cart things you didn't really have, they wouldn't take it. So I bought a shredder. And when I trimmed up my open holly, hey look at this, huh put it back on the ground pretty well. Yeah, in my little yard, too funny. But so it's time to look at that and look at your garden and see I work so well. Maybe refresh the mult a little bit to make it look nice to coming in the spring. That multu is an awful lot too, to help stabilize the soil temperature and to retain moisture and keep out weeds. So I think it's worth the investment to use a multch on your surfaces. Grind your own if you can. Yeah. I trimmed up the deciduous holly. The bird stripped it clean. It was a solid red berries everywhere, beautiful, and the robins discovered it in the others and it was like an O'Hare Airport. Oh my, if you ever been here, it's like a window hair more than I like a peehive. You know. They took them a week, but they cleaned it up. So I got in there with the blobber shears and cut it back to make a branch out a little bit more. So it's kind of time to do that. Do some heavy pruning on some things too. And they Pride of Houston, YopE on Holly got got hat wracked this last weekend too. Good. So a lot of stuff happening in the nursery pruning wise on your things, yeah, because you know these plants can get too big. Yeah. And it trimmed my box woods too. But I didn't use the clippers, would you use? I just said whatever. I didn't want to just cut it off, not at the surface, but down deep, down deep. And what that does Instead of having a thin we talked about this last year, having a thin veneer of leaves, you have a more depth. And in this case, it was kind of a kind of a casual hedge. But it's still uniform, but it not. It doesn't look like a box all right, So it still makes an effective hedge without having to have a very thin veneer of leaves, so it looks pretty that way. Okay, so oh goodly. Anyway, you know, take a look at the at your front of your house and see if it looks like you wanted to, and I can come over and do a landscape plan. There you go, And you can do it yourself too, because you'll have a complete list of materials including the compost and the mulch and the edging of all lot other stuff, all done with the linear kind of a thing. Sure, and so you can do it yourself or have us do it. It doesn't matter. I've got a lot of projects online. Though this weather we've not been able to a whole lot this winter. Thuse you guys in the Weather Service kind of messing me up a little bit. But yeah, we'll get caught up here when it when it clears up a little bit, I reckon. So anyway, come see us at Green Thumb Nursery, uh half on No Water Road, halfway between Washington Boulevard and Madison on the south side of the road. We've got a great selection of tropical plants, and our perennials are starting to be get done. Our geraniums are starting to grow, and Tom keep your shovel sharp. We will see you next week.
Speaker 3: Alrighty folks, stay tuned, We've got the news coming up.
Speaker 1: Next.
Speaker 3: Flower Land, where emotions are expressed in creativity, is delivered Flowerlandflowers dot com. K wn Burtles Will k two twenty seven c Q bartleswill Kate