Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon, and you're listening to KFI AM six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: A little bit later, of course, are True Crime Tuesday. Michael Monks is going to join us. Thousands of people working for LA County are now striking. They are walking picket lines and a big demonstration going on downtown. So we'll talk with him about the latest. Fifty five thousand LA County workers currently on streting.
Speaker 1: Apparently, traffic this morning downtown is a nightmare with people walking off the job. There you're on TikTok. Have you gotten involved with the enema trend? Well, let me I'll just say this, it was an interesting morning. Really, I thought you looked extra special fresh this morning.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 1: But we start with the FBI. This was the headline that the FBI is using polygraphs, and I thought, okay, it's the FBI. Who else uses lie detector tests more than the f BI?
Speaker 3: This is not entirely unusual.
Speaker 2: Intelligent and intelligence agencies often use light detector polygraph tests in order to make sure that people are, you know, on the up and up and not spying for some other country.
Speaker 1: Well, they say that these in particular, these polygraph text tests in particular, are to find out who is leaking information to the press.
Speaker 4: So they're using it on their own.
Speaker 1: They say that in some cases they're using polygraph tests that current and former officials say are creating a climate of fear and intimidation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, listen, this is not the movies. And a lie detector test is not a lie detector test in the traditional sense that you would think of. A polygraph measures your stress. And if the climate in the FBI or the Office of National Intelligence or the CI whatever wherever it is, if here they started doing polygraph tests on people, they get a lot of people who are stressed out.
Speaker 1: That's why polygraph tests are so unreliable and are thrown out a lot in court.
Speaker 3: Get it in court.
Speaker 1: No, but still it's ridiculous, right that you go to work and somebody hooks you up to a lie detector test. I mean when you think about the FBI using light detector tests. Of course they do when they're investigating people or what have you. But using it on your own is kind of different.
Speaker 4: Isn't it. You shouldn't have to you shouldn't.
Speaker 1: Have to take a lie detector test or a stress test, whatever the hell you want to call it. They're hooking you up to a machine and measuring your personal levels. And that's intrusive, and I would not sign off on going to work and getting a lie detector test.
Speaker 3: But also you have you would well to go back to the climate.
Speaker 2: This, they say, has, you know, added to this climate of everybody's looking over their shoulders. They're not quite sure what management's going to do if you don't toe the party line or in this case, the line that the president and the Secretary of Defense, for example, have in mind. Than you are on the outs and could leave or could be shown the door. A lot of people have decided to show themselves the door. They've taken the early buyouts, or they've taken the early retirement, or they simply quit their job with no benefit at all because they don't like what's going on.
Speaker 1: Apparently this happens. It happens every five years or so. It's kind of a common thing with intelligence agencies of just making sure that people can be trusted on the inside.
Speaker 3: They don't.
Speaker 2: But your point, they don't do it specifically to find leakers. Necessarily, that's not the purpose, right this, right now that's the purpose is to try to plug up the leaks that we've seen exactly.
Speaker 1: And there's a difference between putting your head down doing your job despite disagreeing with whatever the agenda is for your government agency. It's part of signing up for government work. Things are going to change from administration to administration. I understand that this one is different. But there's a difference between putting your head down disagreeing and putting your head out and just doing the work, or saying you know what, this isn't for me and leaving and then leaking information.
Speaker 4: To the media like that.
Speaker 1: That too, I think that should absolutely be ferreted out, like anybody who's going to roll on.
Speaker 2: Somebody, now listen, they can go too far. Pam Bondy has supposedly put out some new legal guidelines that would allow the Justice Department to subpoena a reporter's personal communications, broadened the scope of some criminal potential criminal prosecution to leaks of not just classified material, but other privileged, other sensitive material that is all going to be covered. I shouldn't say always, but that has a pretty tough road to hoe when it comes to, you know, eclipsing the First Amendment, which gives reporters a lot of freedom when it comes to there.
Speaker 4: You all right, I got a sneeze.
Speaker 2: Oh, I thought you're gonna cry. Gosh, we could talk about the First Amendment of him.
Speaker 4: I've had.
Speaker 1: Little tears welling because I'm trying to sneeze.
Speaker 4: Yeah, do you have any music?
Speaker 3: The first is the thing I live by every morning.
Speaker 4: Well, I gat that you.
Speaker 1: Mentioned it, Gary. I want to take off my jackets. I'm wearing a red shirt and blue pag so long, and I'm white. I am the epitome of the flag today, Red, white and.
Speaker 4: Blue come back.
Speaker 3: The shirt is red, the.
Speaker 1: Jeans are blue, and I am white, and you brought up the First Amendment, and you're damn right, Gary.
Speaker 4: I should be crying right now.
Speaker 1: I should be crying because I live under this great shield of the flag that we call the Stars and stripes here in America, not up north. Were our leaders who are newly elected are week streamed empty suit people. I am an American. I have the weight of a big ass. And sorry, I got carried.
Speaker 3: Right right.
Speaker 4: Did you hear that guy talk? By the way, the Canadian guy.
Speaker 5: The new Canadian guy, Carni O m a, is it super It is so weak stream like, it is the worst orator I've ever heard in the history of somebody who's spoke in a podium.
Speaker 1: But he has the right. I'm sure he's a wonderful person. I'm sure he's super nice and he likes to go.
Speaker 4: Out and about.
Speaker 1: But my God, get that man a set of testicles, because I don't know if they're in there.
Speaker 4: I don't know anything about him.
Speaker 1: I heard like thirty seconds of his victory speech and was like, what on God's green earth?
Speaker 4: That is not the stars and the stripes. That is leaves. That is the big that.
Speaker 1: Exists up there, and it's and it also gives you shade, but there are no balls on that leaf.
Speaker 4: See what you did. You're having a nice little show.
Speaker 1: And then you were like, you're crying over the First Amendment, and I.
Speaker 3: Were, I said first Amendment and you.
Speaker 1: Would like that, So no, I was trying to sneeze, so it.
Speaker 6: Not all right.
Speaker 4: Well see, and now we're gonna get in trouble.
Speaker 2: Congressman shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion or for hiving the exercise thereof bridging the freedom is feature of the press or of the right of the people peaceably to assemble or to petition the government for the redress of grievance. It's beautiful, isn't it. I think that's gonna be my alarm from now on, somebody saying.
Speaker 4: I'll record that for you.
Speaker 3: Okay, No, that's drop an MF.
Speaker 4: At the end of it, you wake up to me reading the First Amendment.
Speaker 2: All right, power outage in Spain and Portugal and parts of France.
Speaker 4: Is it weird? We still have no reason why?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, there's there should be something.
Speaker 2: Simply saying oscillation is not gonna is not going to.
Speaker 3: Quell people's fears about what happens. It is a great word.
Speaker 6: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI A M six forty.
Speaker 3: Hey, did you know it.
Speaker 1: Was National Fetanyl Day today?
Speaker 3: How do you? How do you? How do mar today? How do you well celebration the goal? I didn't get you any fentanyl.
Speaker 4: You didn't know?
Speaker 1: How dare you call yourself a friend?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 4: It's very serious.
Speaker 1: The goal is to remind people of the many deaths each year caused by fentanyl and spread the word about neclozone.
Speaker 3: Close looxo lox.
Speaker 1: That's how much I don't know about fento whyloxo, not fentanyl.
Speaker 3: You don't know. You don't know people. You also need to get an automatic external defibrillator.
Speaker 4: I don't.
Speaker 1: I have two fire extinguishers at my home. Not every help anybody destroyer. Every time I see them, I think, why, what do you mean? We have a perfectly good fire department here. You started a fire and house the other day I did, and did I need a fire extinguishure?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: You know why because I'm an American and I put that fire out myself, but in my eyes, because you know what this is in Canada, I.
Speaker 3: Don't know America.
Speaker 2: A day after Spain and Portugal were hit by extensive blackouts, they have been able to turn the electricity back on in most areas in both of those countries.
Speaker 3: A lot of people are relieved.
Speaker 2: Of course, we've seen power outages cripple countries like Puerto Rico recently. The Dominican also suffered some selectrical problems recently, but sharply critical now about what exactly caused this widespread power failure. The Prime Minister of Spain said his country has recovered more than ninety five percent of the total supply as of today in Portugal. They said that power has been restored to all of the substations and that everything they say is one hundred percent operational. There's just a couple of pockets. Again, this is the problem. The cause of the blackout is still unknown. That's a problem. No definitive conclusions according to Spain. As to the reasons for the outage, they.
Speaker 1: Say that there had been no cyber security attack, but they also ruled out human error.
Speaker 4: And meteorological causes.
Speaker 1: Now, how are you able to rule things out if you are in a state of we don't know what caused it, How are you able to rule out things like human error?
Speaker 2: It's and listen, I know this is a stupid way to put it. Maybe it's a translation error. Maybe they're saying instead of there was no cybersecurity attack, Maybe they're saying we have no evidence of that.
Speaker 4: Maybe but it's Spanish, it's not like it's Mandarin.
Speaker 2: I know, but I'm saying the language is. It doesn't take much to change that little station.
Speaker 3: Just be a.
Speaker 1: Cultural thing though too, maybe not even a language thing. Maybe just like, eh, we don't know, and that could mean that we haven't ruled anything. I don't know, but they are naming specific things that they have ruled out. I just find that interesting. But I'm also not a electricity investigator, so I have no idea. They said they expect answers within the next hours or days, but that it could take weeks or months to complete the technical analysis required. Apparently it was that high voltage connection between France and Spain that was interrupted. They said that while that interruption would have been disruptive, it would not normally lead to a system.
Speaker 3: Collapse like they saw. Yeah, something more typically.
Speaker 2: Would typically need to happen, like there would be an outage at one of their power plans or some sudden happening on the demand side. Then you might have an incident like this was. This was an outsized reaction to what they know happened, which was that connection that was knocked out.
Speaker 1: All right, coming up next. It is a mess downtown. People are walking off the job. I listened to Michael Monks yesterday on our show. I listened to him on John's show, I listened to him on Conway's show, and I listened to him on most.
Speaker 3: Show The Guy Gets Around.
Speaker 4: You had a full day, full day.
Speaker 3: Well, we'll bring him back. You feel some of the stuff.
Speaker 1: Less important, knowing that he's passed around here like a tray of canapees.
Speaker 2: We'll check his canope when we come with that appropriate, we'll do it off there.
Speaker 6: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 3: Hey, Happy Tuesday, guys.
Speaker 2: Hey Shannon, can you send me some of whatever it is you're pumped up on today?
Speaker 3: Man? You are fired up and I like that attitude, so I could use some of that, So send it my way. Thanks. Cottage cheese, is that right in your in your eggs?
Speaker 4: I had some?
Speaker 1: I made some, Yeah, some egg egg for Tata. Things with cottage cheese make some fluffyer, the cottage chiefs does. But no, I had a lot of espresso. Oh okay, pretty fair amount.
Speaker 2: Fifty five thousand or so La County workers are on their forty eight hour strike. It started last night. We talked with kfi's Michael Monks about SEIU Local seven twenty one and their grievances yesterday when it was pre strike. Now we are neck deep in the strike and we're seeing a lot of well, at the very least some traffic issues downtown.
Speaker 1: You live downtown. That started at seven last night. What have you seen?
Speaker 3: Well, there is quite a rally going on. It just so happens. Hold on one second, there it goes, now try it. Well, it just so happens. There is a pretty large crowd outside the County building, naturally because this is the county workforce, but also there is a Board of Supervisors meeting today. These meetings are often eight nine.
Speaker 4: So much fun though, aren't they just eight?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 3: Nuts? I know you based on this, there's gonna be a lot of commentary for me to sift through today at this meeting gets going, Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: Back in the day we would all sit like I guess you say, Chris Cross apples sauce. Now in the little area where the molt box is all the report is that still a practice.
Speaker 3: Can be, but there aren't as many people plugging into that audio and it aren't yeah, and the same like the metro board meting. It's like a tiny little yeah, malt box that I'll plug into. You can get her online now and you can't never we never had that benefit exactly getting it online. Have you accessed the internet before? Shannon? Is you know what the.
Speaker 4: Internet is what is it? I just my legs get cramps when I think of.
Speaker 6: Me to.
Speaker 3: Thing that happened last week or a couple weeks ago. I had to say Chris Cross apple sauce, and it was I realized how old I am.
Speaker 4: I'm like, I did it when I was twenty five, but I don't.
Speaker 3: Think I know. Oh, and I had to slither out before everyone else did too, so I was, I know it's on video somewhere. Absolutely, it's not going to be good.
Speaker 4: It's so uncomfortable there good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, anyway, the other people having a our day to day, or these fifty five thousand plus workers whose union have decided that we're on strike only for a little while. So it started last night at seven. They're supposed to stop it at seven o'clock tomorrow evening. Their grievances are a little bit unclear. I think they're in the midst of negotiating. They haven't said a whole lot about what they want. They certainly want at minimum a cost of living increase, and the offer from the county was apparently zero percent, and the County's like, look, we just produced our proposed budget for the next fiscal year. We're cutting all departments three percent across the board. We've got a four billion dollar sex abuse settlement to pay. We were looking at a possible two billion dollar expense from the wildfires, and we're screwed. So the worker said, well, can't help, but recall you just committed two hundred plus million dollars to buy a skyscraper to move the government to. So where did that money come from? And that's where we are.
Speaker 1: So we've got this city with its cuts and then the county with it cuts, all at the same time.
Speaker 3: And it's probably a situation where as you know, we're union people too, You're like, sometimes you have to read the room and save it for later. And this seems like a case where that is true for the county workers because the county budget does not propose any layoffs. But I got the sense when that budget was being presented that it was no layoffs at this point. So what happens next year? Because this sex abuse settlement, this four billion dollars sex abuse, they're not writing a check and saying, oh, it's going to hurt us this year. This is something that they predict into like twenty fifty will be impacting their budgets.
Speaker 4: We haven't spent enough time on that.
Speaker 1: I mean, I think the Catholic Church was like two point five billions. It was more just the counties was more right, Just to give you perspective on how big this settlement is, it's nearly twice with the Catholic Church settled with kid's abuse.
Speaker 3: Of course, dioceses across right the country had to do a lot of settlement.
Speaker 1: But here, yeah, I mean, what do you think of the Catholic Church across the country and here that we're talking about La County. I mean, it's retroactively, it's through the years, but still like that is insane. And that goes back to what we are talking about. In this culture of just settling everything, there's got to be there's got to be a conversation about that. This is not a tenable situation of just settling everything forever.
Speaker 3: And it also calls into question the oversight of these departments and how big this government is and how how well managed it is. Now they're talking about closing some of those juvenile halls where you know, some of this abuse took place, reforming them, and it's a big concern for the supervisors. But I talk to you guys about this a lot. I've never seen any sense of urgency from these governments. They're very good at pointing out what they think is a problem, but not quick on the solutions down on the street level outside of the ballroom or the negotiations maybe or may not be taking place at the street level. What kind of impact is this going to have that we might see and you know, LA County customers if you will, Yeah, all right, So if you are dealing with in any type of county services to day, yeah, there is a little bit of disruption. And again it's only for a couple of days. So the libraries came out and said, you know, we might have some service disruption, might even have to close some animal control might have some restrictions on adoptions today. You might not be able to reclaim a pet if you've lost a pet, for example, renewing pet licenses. The Assessor's Office says the public may experience longer wait times if you're going down to the tax office. But the one stop shop on the first floor of the Hall of Administration is open if you need county services, but I would avoid going there today. It's busy traffic on Temple Street is probably backed up, and once traffic gets bad on Temple and around that area where the Civic Center is, it just bleeds out all over downtown and it's an absolute mess to get down there. So regional satellite offices they may experience some service delays as well. But again these are the union workers who clean restrooms.
Speaker 4: Who weeklyan your toilet.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and in fact, the beach bathrooms might be impacted by this as well. If you're headed to.
Speaker 4: The beach today, I wouldn't use it. Best of times.
Speaker 3: In downtown you can just go on the sidewalk, so yeah, I mean you don't really need one, but who cares. Yeah. La County dot gov.
Speaker 2: Slash Closer Closures is also a site that they have up if there are service delays or anything that you need to check out.
Speaker 3: We'll see if the Board of Superfvisor says anything about this today. Their meeting is is to get under way. They are approving that sex abuse settlement. Normally, stretch your legs. Wow, you're watching the meeting. I mean I don't want to. I don't you don't want.
Speaker 4: Your like that was just general life advice.
Speaker 3: It's not bad life advice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, stretch, get tight and you can't untype. Got a great stretch for that if you need it, really Yeah, which one?
Speaker 6: You know?
Speaker 3: You laying your back, you can a cross your legs and then the arms go through and you're pulling.
Speaker 4: Yeah, uh wait what yours?
Speaker 2: That's more from my that's mine too, Yeah, yeah, that's the one.
Speaker 6: I got it.
Speaker 3: The doctor told me I gotta cut back on. Thank you. It's always a pleasure, guys. Hey.
Speaker 2: The DVDs, the CDs, all of these hardware for all of our music enjoyment and movies, etc.
Speaker 3: They're making a comeback. We'll talk about that when we return.
Speaker 6: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: We mentioned this multiple times the last couple of months. I mean, it kind of has reared its ugly head that there seems to be a pendulum swing away from digitization of everything and that people are moving towards flip phones. Younger people are realizing that having all of the information and the entire world at your fingertips can be a distraction and not good for your health. And one of the ways that we're seeing that play out is physical media sales are up. I think DVDs, CDs, cassettes, records of all things. I got for my birthday a couple of years ago. I got a record player and a couple of albums to go with it. It's so much fun to sit there and listen to final.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And the images that I think probably our kids have of people our age is that we sat around and did nothing. I mean that you'd put a record on and you would just look at the album cover, or you would read the liner notes, or you would read along with some of them had the lyrics sheets in there as part of the album sleeve itself. All of that was such a great way to learn about music because you, for one thing, you'd listen to the whole album. A lot of times you wouldn't just pick and choose, you know, single songs and go through. You could, but there was a that the artist wanted you to listen to the whole album.
Speaker 1: It was a different way of consuming music. It just was an album was meant to be listened to in the or that it was presented.
Speaker 3: A lot of thought went into that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and to put it put a number to this. The Recording Industry Association of America said, physical music purchases comprised only eleven percent of music revenue in twenty four twenty twenty four, that's almost eighteen billion dollars, but only eleven percent of it was physical tapes, cassettes, records. But that was a five percent jump from the year before. It's not going backwards, it's going up. And the majority of those sales, they said, were in vinyl records, which for the last eighteen years has seen growth in record vinyls, followed up by CDs, which sold about five hundred and forty one million dollars.
Speaker 3: That's up a little bit from the year before.
Speaker 4: Should I get you a phonograph?
Speaker 3: I have one?
Speaker 4: Oh you do?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Okay, what's before the phonograph?
Speaker 3: Eight track player?
Speaker 4: Do you want that?
Speaker 2: I believe there is one at my parents' house. Think I'm covered if I if I stumble upon, like, oh boy, what was that great musical western they call the Wind Mariah?
Speaker 4: They call the Wind Mariah.
Speaker 3: That was a song and it was in Uh.
Speaker 2: My parents had Paint Your Wagon. My parents had the eight track soundtrack to Paint Your Wagon and we would listen to that all the time.
Speaker 1: I've never heard of Paint Your Wagon. It's what does that mean? Is that a euphemism?
Speaker 3: No, it's just that was the name of the set in the Gold Rush.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I think paint your wagon, met your wagon, your wagon means something, but I.
Speaker 3: Wanted to ask, I mean, what is it that you still hang on top?
Speaker 1: Do you have Paint your wagon means to get things done? Take action, fix the problem. Paint your wagon? Oh yeah, you know you're you're trying to figure out how to get your taxes done. Paint your wagon?
Speaker 3: Do you have physical albums?
Speaker 2: You and your husband have any records now, sets, anything, old stack of old DVDs or anything.
Speaker 4: I've got a lot of DVDs, cdds that I've been I want to get rid of them.
Speaker 1: But then I remember how cool it was finding my parents' old records, like in their house, you know, and my husband's parents like finding their records and like just knowing what they listen.
Speaker 4: To is cool.
Speaker 2: We have a tower and it's only you know, three feet high or whatever, but we have a CD tower that we got probably from Peer one, and we thought it was a massive purchase when we were freshly married, and it holds one hundred and fifty.
Speaker 3: Or tower cdsful, aren't they? They should all be burned. But it's been with us the entire time. I don't think i've opened it in years. And we had some friends whose daughters wanted to come over and they wanted to look through it. I'm like, take whatever you want.
Speaker 2: Any of these can be played on you know, whatever music service I have. But I realized that some of those as I go back and if you look at them, each of the I remember buying that DVD or that CD, I remember getting it as a gift, or I remember listening to it in you know, the car.
Speaker 1: Nothing says nineteen ninety four like a freaking CD tower.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Also, paint your wagon could be I'm gonna beat you up, I'm gonna paint your wagon.
Speaker 4: You better watch it, or I'm gonna paint your wagon. Get it after it, paint your wagon. Tuesday.
Speaker 3: Let us know what records, DVD, CDs, whatever it is that you have held on to and how you when do you listen to them.
Speaker 1: I still have the the like I don't even know how to describe it. The CD holder that was like, you know, you would have four CDs per plastic page that you fet through.
Speaker 4: As you were driving.
Speaker 1: I still have that massive, like fabric binder of just awful music. I'm sure it would be kind of a trip. That's kind of why I haven't thrown them out, because it's kind of fun for me to go back and look at what were you listening to thirty years ago?
Speaker 4: What are you thinking?
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 2: Gary and Shannon Show breakdown, coming up, tariffs, Amazon, all of it. You've been listening to The Gary and Shannon Show. You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app