Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Latest on the protest.
Speaker 3: We do expect yet another update from Karen Bass at some point this morning.
Speaker 2: I believe eleven o'clock is the is.
Speaker 3: The information I saw if I don't know what she has to say much today, because last night was relatively quiet in terms of rioting. The curfew went into effect at eight o'clock. There were several arrests last night, but nowhere near the amount of damage, violence, graffiti, looting that we had seen in a couple of previous nights.
Speaker 1: Michael Monks joins us he's been on top of the protesters protests, I should say, ever since they erupted over the weekend. And now we've got an Alla City council ad that has been put on unpaid leave following an arrest at one of these protests. And the story goes a little deeper than that. Michael, am I now sorry, I apologize, no worries. Yeah, this isn't a radio, It's fine.
Speaker 4: Well, this is Isabel Herado City council woman, newly elected at the end of last year, so she's serving very early in her first term. She unseated longtime politician Kevin daleon and you may recall during that campaign that towards the end she got caught up in sort of a mini controversy because she was recorded in front of a group of college students at calcet Ola saying f the police.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 4: So that's just to set the scene for who we're talking about here. And so a staffer for Isabelle Herado Lose Aguilar, she has been placed on unpaid leave because she's been arrested suspicion of assaulting a police officer with a deadly weapon. Where when, Oh, on Sunday at the anti ice protest demonstrations in downtown Los Angeles. But that's not Lose Aguilar's only connection to local politics. Her dad is Rick Cole, who is a sitting member of the Pasadena City Council and is all also a high ranking figure in the office of La City Controller.
Speaker 2: Kenneth Maheah. Okay, Can she simply be fired? Why? Why? Why?
Speaker 3: Why administrative leave and not simply fire her attraction council woman Isabelle Herado herself. Okay, because this is uh it's going to make me mad.
Speaker 5: Yes, I'm aware of what's happened to my staff member. They're on unpaid leave right now. I hold my staff to the highest standards.
Speaker 3: Just to point out, this is from last night's news conference with the.
Speaker 1: Or just real quick, what's happened to my staff member? Like this was something that happened to the staff.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's a good point.
Speaker 5: That is, Yes, I'm aware of what's happened to my staff member. They're on unpaid leave right now. I hold my staff to the highest standards. Well, I will. I wait to see due process and so we'll see the outcome of that. But I see that as separate and apart from a reaction to what our constituents want in this city and how this type of opportunism has escalated between yesterday and the day before. And you know, frankly, I admit my humility here in my beginnerness and that I'm new to downtown. But our downtown stakeholders have seen this multiple times over and had to basically develop their own strategies, and they saw the warning signs of how this could get worse.
Speaker 4: So she was alongside Mayor Bass during the press conference because all of this stuff has been happening in downtown Los Angeles. She happens to represent downtown. You heard her reference I'm new to downtown. That's because downtown is But we keep hearing the word sliver. This is a sliver of her district, which is mostly Northeast LA suburbs like Boyle Heights and then Downtown is kind of thrown in with all those and is usually a famous afterthought of whoever's representing that district.
Speaker 6: Okay, do you feel that I thought a little earthquake was a truck?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 6: Okay.
Speaker 1: Also, side note you mentioned or you heard in the council woman's line there they This does appear to be a they them person council member who was arrested with her twins, their twin.
Speaker 2: Sister, so it's two sisters.
Speaker 4: Lose Aguilar is the one who works in the office, but also her sister, twenty six year old obviously Antonia Aguilar Them. Okay, my apologies if I've missed jets. Okay, it's it's your beginnerness. It's showing it's my beginnerness. So I'm asking for some races. Yeah, she's a new council member, and she is a little. Her public speaking is a little clunky. She's and that's all I can say about that. But you know, obviously this is somebody who set a tone on the campaign trail about her feelings about policing. She is from the same school of local politics as Unisses Hernandez, Hugo Soto Martinez, who also serve on the city Council and have strong sentiments about LAPD funding, LAPD behavior. In fact, before for the mayor's press conference yesterday, the chief of police was hauled into the city council chamber.
Speaker 2: Answer question.
Speaker 3: We'll do that next segment, because that was also you'd want to talk about putting a guy like Jim McDonell in the absolute worst possible position and making an answer questions that are almost impossible for the chief of local police department to answer.
Speaker 2: We'll do that well.
Speaker 6: After they've totally fed him when it comes to the.
Speaker 3: Budget, right right, Gary Channon will continue. Michael Monks has joined us.
Speaker 7: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 3: Judge not granting Governor Newsom's request for an immediate block of the deployment of troops to California but what is the schedule, the timeline, what's the next steps for that lawsuit against the president by the governor.
Speaker 1: Marines are joining the National Guard soldiers today. It's the first day the Marines will be on the streets. Approximately seventeen hundred members of the National guards seventy ninth Infantry Brigade Combat Team are in LA Team as part of the National Guard's twenty one hundred member Task Force fifty one on titled ten status in California. So they will, like you mentioned, be there to assist in guarding federal properties.
Speaker 6: You know, it's a very.
Speaker 1: It's a very different conversation when it comes to Marines in the National Guard just there to guard federal properties as opposed to manning the streets.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's important that an.
Speaker 1: Important distinction that could change at a moment's notice, couldn't.
Speaker 3: It if the President decides to invoke the Insurrection Act. And as we talked with Jessica Levinson yesterday from Loyola, she was explaining, the courts have given a lot of leeway to presidents to make decisions like that, So we don't know which way his wind is blowing right now, if in fact he wants to do that. Michael Monks has joined us, who's been covering a lot of different aspects of the stories this story over the last several days, and one of the new aspects of it is that the City Council in Los Angeles is now upset with the LAPD chief for.
Speaker 2: What well, you know this LAPD.
Speaker 4: They can't get a break right now because there's criticism coming from all angles. You're not doing enough, you're doing too much. All at the same time, I think the majority sentiment among the city councils that perhaps LAPD was doing too much, and there were also some accusations made about whether they're colluding with some of the federal agencies that have come in this. They hauled in Chief Jim McDonald to the City council meeting yesterday. This was a late agenda item that they always meet on Tuesdays, but this is obviously the first Tuesday to come along since everything broke loose on Friday. In fact, we got word of the raid during the city council meeting last Friday, the one taking place in the Garment district. So this is their first meeting since all of it, So they're chomping at the bit to ask some questions and they did, and council members like the one we referenced Isabelle Herado Unice, He's hernad As Hugosda Martinez.
Speaker 2: They have a lot of.
Speaker 4: Concerns about the behavior of LAPD officers against the protesters. That seem to be where their concerns are. I've got some sound from Hugo Soda Martinez and his line of questioning.
Speaker 8: We have to be mindful of the tactics that are being used by some LAPD members that is adding to the escalation because that is taking away from the goal of keeping families together. Now, just like a few protesters can take away from the messaging, the same thing can be said by LAPD. It overshadows the response. So I just want people to remember that in this moment, everybody as a city has to live by our values and keep our eyes on the prize. We are fighting a white nationalist president that will like nothing better than to come into our city and deport our people.
Speaker 2: And wipen it up a little bit.
Speaker 3: Is that what he's going to suggest next is that what he thinks that this really is is that he's that the president is trying to whiten Southern California that.
Speaker 4: That statement is not far off from typical characterizations of the Trump administration from these folks. This is kind of what they said leading up to the adoption of a sanctuary city policy and in the weeks since with all of the chaos that has ensued. The chief of police was also grilled by city councilhen Emelda Padilla, who asked whether the LAPD could maybe alert city officials if federal law enforcement agencies were coming into town to do something, and the chief got kind of snippy with her and he said, you know, you're asking me to warn you about an enforcement action being taken by another agency before it happens.
Speaker 2: We can't do that. No, it's illegal, an obstruction of justice.
Speaker 4: But also Council President Marquise Harris Dawson is doesn't like referring to ICE as an other federal agencies as enforcement partner.
Speaker 1: McDonald the restraint that he must have to sit before these boobs who have been around for five minutes and think they know what his job is better than what he then he knows after being in Los Angeles for as long as he has, the patience and the restraint is freaking incredible.
Speaker 3: There's a point that has to be made as well about the city council, and even the mayor has kind of alluded to this that they don't know when these raids are coming.
Speaker 2: The bottom line is, we don't know, and that is consistent with ice raids. Of course, we never know when, we never know how long.
Speaker 3: Okay, that's consistent with all law enforcement who happen to have a very specific tactic of catching people off guard when.
Speaker 6: They're engaged in criminal behavior.
Speaker 3: They don't call people and say, hey, Josh, just so you know, you're wanted on a murder warrant out of Pacoima, can we come like just hang out at like four forty five maybe five o'clock if you're not busy. We'd love to be able to come in and put handcuffs on you.
Speaker 2: That's not the way law enforcement.
Speaker 6: Has ever worked, So why why is.
Speaker 3: There a surprise They just don't know? The federal government would would send up a telegram to someone and suggest.
Speaker 2: Oh, we're going to be at this place at this.
Speaker 3: Time so that you can send five hundred people to get in our way. Hey, we'll keep in mind put themselves at risk too, And that's that's valid and keep in mind though, that the chief is also getting it from the federal government, like the Department of Homeland Security is not happy with the Los Angeles Police Department either, for not showing up at a time that they thought was adequate to support the federal agencies who were on the ground executing these warrants. That was Friday, right, that that was that was related to Friday.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 6: But look, well there's also the ari.
Speaker 4: I mean, you can why it's the National Guard here? Why are the Marines here? I mean, that's a direct and that's a direct comment.
Speaker 1: Oh, there's a couple of things. And you know, there was the comment about overwhelmed.
Speaker 2: He said, he did.
Speaker 1: Say that, and I think what his purpose of saying that was was you can't cut from the LAPD which is actively happening at city Hall if you want us to respond to things this large is what the basis of that comment was. But it can be construed as calling for help from the federal government now that the federal government has stepped in.
Speaker 3: And that I think is one of the shortcomings that we've seen in the last couple of days is no one has asked the chief.
Speaker 2: I don't know how available he has been.
Speaker 3: We're not the reporters that are there in those news conferences, but somebody needs to ask him to revisit that comment because there are a lot of people are using that for him explaining, like you said, I mean, he could be taken a couple of different ways. What did he mean by that? Was it just the context of Friday night we were overwhelmed, or Saturday night we were overwhelmed, we didn't have enough flex cuffs for people, or is it legitimately we do not have enough men and women to put on the streets to keep this thing under control.
Speaker 1: It's a reflex when you're the head of an agency like this to say we need more all the time. It's one of their jobs, whether you're the fire chief, police chief, what have you, to make sure funding is not cut, make sure in fact that it is added to under your watch. That's one of the hallmarks of a strong chief is to make sure your funding is not cut and in fact, if you can bolster it even better. His funding has been cut, the LAPD's funding has been cut, so his number one goal is to stop that from happening. And when you're requiring the LAPED to show out and force like that on Friday night and they are reduced.
Speaker 6: They're at a reduced workforce.
Speaker 1: You're going to say things like that, and when this thing exploded, he didn't see it. This exploding Friday night into Saturday to a national story. And then all of a sudden, that underwhelmed comment gets parlayed into oh, this is why Trump was able to send in all of his henchmen or whatever the form of the National Guard in the Marines. And so, yeah, I think you're right. I think that. I don't know why he hasn't been pressed on that. I guess it doesn't mean as much as it means.
Speaker 4: To he doesn't want to get Kristian crowleyed, I don't know, you know, speaking against the mayor like the fire chief did, and.
Speaker 2: Oh I already forgotten. Nay, quickly, we move on really quickly.
Speaker 4: I know you guys have to take a break, but I just want to say it's clear the LAPD's tactics have amplified and they've gotten the message that we need to do more. I'm anxious to see how today goes, if anything breaks out in the afternoon before the curfew, to see if that continues and two. The LAPD did lose out in this budget. They saw their recruitment opportunities caught in half. But for the past several years they were fully funded to bring more officers in and they have confessed themselves that they have been unable to fill their ranks for a variety of reasons.
Speaker 2: Curfews starts today. Yes, all right, thank you, Michael, appreciate it. Stay out of downtown. Thanks.
Speaker 7: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 1: Ambition is odd. I really love ambition. I admire it when someone has ambition, but sometimes it can go too far. But it's always fun to talk about, isn't it. Gavin Newsom is the subject of an article in The Wall Street Journal about him leaning into this LA unrest to position himself as the head of the monster that is the opposition to Trump and what the administration represents, and he has seen I mean, it's an important moment, I said earlier.
Speaker 6: I think this is make or break for Newsom.
Speaker 1: If he wants to insinuate himself as the leader of the resistance, then he's gonna have to show the math. He's gonna have to really be hard hitting and establish himself not as a pretty boy left California I like wine tasting and a six hundred dollars meal guy, but somebody who's palatable to the Democrats and the rest of the country. If you're going to go after Trump, you've got to go to Trump's arena and beat him there.
Speaker 6: And I just don't know if Newsom has it in him.
Speaker 3: There's an interesting you mentioned, what was your article from Wall Street. There's another one in Politico as well today that uses the same the same kind of backbone that the idea that Gavin Newsom has re appeared on the national stage in terms of being the main face of opposition against Donald Trump. But they actually credit Trump with catapulting Newsom to that.
Speaker 1: So that was going to be my next thought, and I'm glad that they got to it, because my thought reading the Wall Street Journal article is this is only because Trump has enabled Newsom to rise to this level, And you've got to ask yourself why, And if Trump wants his legacy to endure past his administration and he's crowning Newsom as the king of resistance, Trump's got to believe that Newsom is just that an empty pillowcase well, no, they're there because, hey, if you want this guy to take on me and my buddy's over here, whether it be jd Vance or what whoever's waiting in the wings, the Trump family would have you go for it, right because we know we can demolish him. I mean, you do have to ask yourself that question. It is Newsome becoming a topic nationally because Trump's enabling him because he knows he can beat him.
Speaker 3: And what is the actual character of Gavin Newsom?
Speaker 2: What? And I don't mean that question.
Speaker 3: I don't mean you know, who is he as a person, although we've asked that question many times. I mean as a political character outside of California? Do people see him as the legitimate standard bearer for the Democratic Party fighting for immigrants in this country? Does he see him as a strict politician who is leveraging his position, his money, his uh face, his notoriety in his face, his hair into position where that will help, you know, make help the leap to the next step.
Speaker 1: Does he have the balls that matter in places like Ohio or Pennsylvania. Does he have the friendships in the power circles to get things done? Does he have the money outside of California. Three big questions and right now you're not getting a lot of yeses.
Speaker 2: Right yeah.
Speaker 6: And maybe after this he meets this.
Speaker 1: Moment, maybe more people will jump on the slow speed Gavin train with stops in places like Madera. But until then, until those questions are answered, you're just gonna have this like weak stream guide leading your resistance.
Speaker 3: Remember a year ago, there were discussions about whether Gavin Newsom was going to jump into the to the Democratic primaries right year ago, year and a half ago before they started, and he repeatedly said, listen, I don't I'm not planning on it, or whatever whatever the term he was using at the time, but he was begging in the back rooms, please push me into the limelight, force my hand, and I can be the reluctant hero that comes in and saves the Democratic Party from a faltering candidate in what was Joe Biden at the time. It almost feels like he got lucky again with this, that Donald Trump is going after Gavin Newsom in this instance and he is relishing the accidental hero. Listen, I don't want to have to be in this position. But if I'm going to stand up for the four year old. What if I'm going to stand up for the families that are being torn apart, then I will. I will wear that mantle proudly, although I didn't ask for it. Please, this is this is his this is his conference championship.
Speaker 1: In every industry, or he gets to the super Bowl in every occupation, sports or otherwise. There's a time when people are exposed. Yeah, and Kamala Harris. Unfortunately we all saw that in real time. Trump has brought this fight to Gavin Newsom. Gavin's been blustering about it four months, if not years. All Right, well, now it's game time. What the hell are you going to do? How are you going to fight?
Speaker 2: This?
Speaker 3: Is he the most powerful governor in the country, democratic governor?
Speaker 2: Is he the most powerful?
Speaker 3: And I obviously it's because we have a huge economy, we have a huge state, we have huge population. You can make the argument he is the most powerful democratic governor in the country. This is the war that both of them want. Donald Trump wants to be able to show I can take on the biggest guy on your team, Gavin Newsom, and impose my will on the bluest state, one of the bluest states in the nation, and Gavin Newsom wont to be able to say, I David struck down your goliath.
Speaker 1: Well, and it's it's go time for Gavin Newsom. It's time to show that you're what you're made of.
Speaker 2: Sure, but it's perfect for him.
Speaker 1: Yes, But it's also decision time for the Democratic powers that be. Are we going to rally against this guy? Is this going to be our guy heading into the next big election? Are we going to throw our weight behind him? Or do we keep our hands off this battlefield? And the Democrats really have to have this, like this conscience battle of where are you're going to go from here? You have not been able to rally around one person. Will they rally around Gavin Newsom? I mean, it's been the conversation, but I don't I mean, it's been the conversation in California, I guess.
Speaker 2: I'm sure.
Speaker 1: I don't know what the conversation is nationwide. I don't read the other local papers.
Speaker 3: But yeah, and that is that I think is probably the next big thing to figure out is if you're in Buffalo, New York, if you're in Charlotte, North Carolina, or Denver, what is your opinion of this guy? Do you see him as a champion for the Party of Democrats, or.
Speaker 1: All you're thinking about is Josh Allen going to come through in the playoffs? We get a quarterback for Carolina. Where was the other place?
Speaker 2: Denver?
Speaker 6: Denver? I mean, there's a lot of.
Speaker 3: Questions pick three football, but I'm.
Speaker 1: Starting to I'm starting to feel the fields I went to.
Speaker 6: I went to the grocery store and I saw somebody at an.
Speaker 1: Eagles hat and I was like, Oh, keep it, keep it to yourself. Close to engaging with a complete stranger, like for what it's an Eagles fan, Like what you're like this?
Speaker 3: You're like people once they learn a language, they'll start dreaming in that from if You're starting to dream in football?
Speaker 6: Part about me? I really do.
Speaker 7: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 3: One of the stories that's a sidelight to all of the protests and riots and looting and everything that's been going on is that Gavin Newsom requested a temporary restraining order to block the administration's deployment of National Guard troops and marines here in southern California. The judge yesterday in this case, District Judge Charles Bryer did set a hearing for tomorrow, but did not grant that request for the temporary restraining order, tomorrow being Thursday. The governor has said this request for the temporary restraining order says that the Trump administration's use of troops creates imminent harm to state sovereignty, deprives the state of vital resources, escalates tensions, promotes rather than quell civil unrest, and seeks to prevent federal troops from enforcing laws in a civilian city, which is again at this point, not what the National Guard and Marine Corps has been tasked with doing. The Governor's office said, the mission orders soldiers to engage in unlawful civilian law enforcement activities, which it does in communities across the region, beyond just guarding federal buildings. So again at this case, at this point, no temporary restraining order. The judge did set tomorrow the hearing to go through some.
Speaker 2: Of all of this.
Speaker 3: The judge, by the way, Charles Bryer, happens to be the younger brother of former Supreme Court Justice Stephen Bryer.
Speaker 2: If you're keeping score at home, all.
Speaker 1: Right, Coming up next, we'll dive into swamp watch tons to get to do we have a deal with China with the tariffs that would be a huge deal. Guantanamo Bay a place for Trump to put people who are here illegally. That conversation is picking up steam as well. We'll have all the latest for you coming up next.
Speaker 3: You've been listening to The Gary and Shannon Show, you can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.