Speaker 1: At the end of twenty twenty five, we were introduced to the new Twilight Zone comic series by IDW or id Dark as they are calling this imprint, and we had generally positive feelings about that faced issue. But tonight we tackle issue too, And tonight I am joined as ever by my man in the comic shop, mister Zach Moore.
Speaker 2: Zach, welcome back, hellother Tom happy to be here.
Speaker 1: So, Zach, I think we were generally positive less time, right, you know, a few things to be discussed, maybe an art style in that comic that we would have been unsure of, and also there was the kind of issue of brevity. It felt like really quick. But I think within that we generally liked that story, didn't we.
Speaker 2: I did. I was the one who was a little more critical of the art work, and you're right, I do remember feeling like, oh man, they went by fast, and yeah, I feel like this one issue too makes me appreciate Issue one even more.
Speaker 1: Time in the sense of that this felt.
Speaker 2: Faster, well you know, it felt longer.
Speaker 1: So that's out the way.
Speaker 2: Despite what we may say about the content itself, I did like the approach of the art style. I'll say that it felt more, you know, twide zones in the fifties and sixties. It feels like more fifties and sixties kind of artwork than Issue number one. Well that's how I felt about that. That is my follow up on my criticisms of issue one. They have been addressed here an issue two. But we did enjoy blanks was issue number one. We enjoyed that quite a bit. I believe one of the stronger things for me when I look at this tie in material, I'm like, could this have been an episode of the Twilight Zone? And I thought, sure, absolutely that that could have been an episode of the Twilet Zone. Issue one. We'll talk about what we think about Issue two.
Speaker 1: Okay, so this one is called A World of Your Wildest Dreams. The writer, artist and letterer is Tom Showley, and I kind of like that, Zach. You know that this issue and the next issue. I'm not sure about issue four, which is also out at the time of recording, but those two issues, at least issues two and three, they've handed it over to a single creator and said, there you go, do your Twilight Zone story, which I kind of like, you know, let's see what someone has to say.
Speaker 2: I agree I think have that singular creative vision is interesting. You know a lot of comic book writers and artists are mutually exclusive, right, but some of them can do everything. And that's that's fun that you know you love it hate it somewhere between. You know that this was someone's vision start to finish, top to bottom.
Speaker 1: So the way this story starts it is a very Twilight Zone setup. I'm thinking elergy, I'm thinking death ship. We just got a bunch of guys and a woman on a ship. Most of them are in cry of sleep. But we got this one guy kind of watching over things, having a little grumble about the lot he has in life, about this this terrible job. And I think this is very Twilight Zone, where you know, there's no differentiation between like astronauts or like, you know, the guy who who drives a truck. They're just all the same. Which I kind of like, you know, our astronauts are all like American hero and this and that from the military or whatever. But these guys, you drive a truck, you drive a spaceship, it's all the same. And I kind of like that.
Speaker 2: Look, that's the future, that's the future. We can all aspire towards right, and even the kind of the vernacular terminology and some of the dialogue. I was like, Oh, this feels like it's straight out of the fifties. So I really like this setup of the story. Also, if you see in the movie Alien, which I'm sure people listening to this podcast have seen, that is the first scene where all the pods open up and people come out and that sort of thing. But yeah, I really liked those episodes where there's like two or three people on a spaceship and they go somewhere, and I feel like they did that a lot on the Twilight Zone, and so this set up perfect right in line with what I would expect from a Twilight Zone story.
Speaker 1: Okay, so these people learned on a planet. I can't remember what exactly the mission was.
Speaker 2: Get geological surveys and rocks and minerals and resources. I think they talked about that, but that's basically yeah.
Speaker 1: That's right. You know, they must have got to the point where space travel is relatively cheap, fuel is cheap, so they'll spend billions to go and get some min rules.
Speaker 2: It's almost like sending criminals on a life sentence across the Solar system that's much more efficient.
Speaker 1: Absolutely great twilight Zone logic. And I mean, let's before we get into the story proper. I don't think you can critique a comic book without talking about the artwork. And I find this is I'm very divided on it. Okay, I like the vehicles. I like, you know, the outfits has got a very Twilight Zone feel, like they're all just in jumpsuits, you know what I mean, and that that's the way it tends to be. The actual detail of the features and things. I don't know, man, I'm not sure I like this artwork too much.
Speaker 2: But okay, so you're me from my time now. Well, I just felt like this looks like you'd see in a comic book, in like a nineteen sixty comic book, right, just kind of square jawed, clean cut professionals here in their spaceships and their laser guns and their space like it fit I think. And in the other one issue one, I mean, it was it was different. It was it was it was an artistic choice they had on everything.
Speaker 1: Yeah, highly stylized.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and this is this is stylized in its own way. Now when it when it when we start seeing other things in the story. I'm like, I don't know, guys, but as far as the humans and the technology and all that, I liked that. I think it fit in well with what they're with what I think they're trying to do with these comics.
Speaker 1: They land on this planet, they start to explore. Thankfully, in true Twilight Zone fashion, the air is breathable, so no problems there. Again, very on brand for the Twilight Zone. But they start to encounter things. First of all, it's like this sort of jackalope type creature, and one of the astronauts is like, hey, that reminds me of something when I was a kid, and what was it? Like? A rabbit and run over by a car?
Speaker 2: A rabbit in their backyard. Their parents will let them keep it as a pet because of allergies. And then oh yeah, then my parents accidentally hit it with their car when they were backing out of the driveway. I'm like, that was unnecessarily dark. Did we have to go there?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Well, it's also sets us up into like this sequence of events where like I think about three of the astronauts have some kinds of encounter and each time they're like, hey, that reminds me of something when I was a kid, you know, I got a point one of them out, Zach. Okay, so a couple of these things have happened, and they're all like, so what's going on here? And I'll read you the actual dialogue. What do you think is going on on this planet? Maybe it's the afterlife? This definitely isn't heaven, that's for sure. The best we could hope for. It is some kind of limbo or pregatory someplace in between. A twilight zone. That dropped like a bit of a brick for me.
Speaker 2: Thank you. Okay, because you know in the intro right there is no hint of a rod Serling in this you know, an issue one there was the guy under the umbrella like with a drink and I assume a cigarette because that's his signature. There was none of that. And then it doesn't end with in the twilight zone. I said, oh, okay, I guess we're not doing that season early season one style, insrows. We're not dropping the towilights on that, fine, but then you gotta drop it like we're some kind of suicide squad. That's what we're doing here. I did not like that line either time. I'm glad. We seem to be in alignment on that.
Speaker 1: Even better one than the suicide squads. Christopher walk in A View to a kill. Look at the view A view to a kill? You know, it's like there's no view to a kill. I'm sorry, no one says that.
Speaker 2: But it's then that it's it is kind of like death ship because they're rolling through all the possible Oh, maybe we're dead, maybe it's blimbo, maybe it's yeah. Also, I have to point out this is ripping off a very famous Star Trek Original series episode. It's called Shore Leave. They go to a planet. You know, the first thing they see on this planet is a giant rabbit from Alice in underline. I'm like, oh, okay, and the whole crux of that is what we're going to get into here. What the planet does its function like? This is straight up sure Leave an episode of the first season of Star Trek Original series, So just throw that out there. I feel like genre like genre fans who are really tuned into that will immediately identify this.
Speaker 1: Before we get to that kind of what the planet is. Yeah, I also have to talk about this next encounter because because when they are exploring, they will come across something and be like, oh my goodness, what's that. Now they're driving along in their little moon buggy thing, and one of them says, stopped her over, And you see like this space creature whacking another kind of space creature that looks vaguely feminine with a stick. So one of the space guys comes down and he shoulder charges this alien that's beaten the woman with a stick. And so the other astronaut says, to what happened here? Okay, So the astronaut says, I don't know. It reminded me of something. When I was a kid. My dad woke us up out of bed in the middle of the night. He was screaming his head off, ranting and raving about what a mess the house was. He made us clean up in the middle of the night, a school night, but I tell you there was nothing to clean. My mom got down on all fours and started scrubbing the carpet, scrubbing the carpet. We just wanted them to stop. We didn't know what to do. I don't think he did either. He grabbed his pool cue and started beating her with it. I just stood there and watched. Don't get me wrong. My dad was a great guy, but he'd have these moments. This reminded me of that. I mean, clearly he is channeling some terrible memories from when he was a child. Domestic violence has nothing to laugh about.
Speaker 2: Well when he presented in this way, yeah, oh well, I mean he was a great guy. He just had a long day at work. I'm like, that's the kind of like, what do we talk? Why are we waving off this? This obviously traumatic The story itself acknowledges is traumatic because it's bringing up this traumatic memory. This guy acts on it. But it's like, y'all, although I feel like this is something they might have said in the fifties, I mean I don't maybe give it that. Maybe maybe that's what they were trying to do but they failed.
Speaker 1: Uh huh. Yeah. It's just I don't know, man, it's just really an odd moment. You know, maybe the character was trying to deal with these things. Oh but it's my dad, you know, and you love your dad, but he's doing these terrible things, and you know, I kind of get that, but it's hard to have that nuance on one page after he's you know, had this kind of monologue so I think maybe it would have been better without the great guy comments at the end. You know, so, I think I was on the same page. Okay, now it's here that all hell breaks loose. You have all kinds of creatures start attacking them. They get taken away to some kind of courtroom like the space court, where they are put on trial because the guy who he shoulder charged, who was hitting the creature with the stick, has I think it died.
Speaker 2: Yes, they accused him of murder.
Speaker 1: And I think they get sentenced, and they get taken away to some kind of chamber or something, but they managed to gape. We won't go into all the details. By the way, if you've not read the comic, spoilers are going to be all throughout this, and they managed to escape. But then sorry, I'm just scrolling through. There's a few pages of wackiness here, like giant carrots trying to eat them, that kind of stuff. And then what we get to in the end is that these sort of we've seen all kinds of wacky creatures through this, but a group of aliens who all are kind of uniform, they're just say, okay, stop listen, We're sorry about this. This planet is a kind of vacation planet. People come here and it will form itself around whatever. You know, your desires are, whatever you want to do to unwind. But you humans, you humans have got some problems, okay, and we weren't prepared for that, you know. And they talk about the kind of psychological baggage we all carry. We're still quite a violent people, and so on and so forth.
Speaker 2: There is a lot of talking. But yeah, there was a lot of like and again, we love the toilet zone. We love dialogue, we love back and forth, we love exploring these these high minded ideas and societal and cultural stuff like what what is humanity? And all right, love that, right, But if you're reading a comic book and it's like there are four pages of just dialogue, bubble, dialogue, bubble, that's just just explanation, exposition, explanation, exposition. I found it quite long, which which you know, calling back to how I started off the conversation. Hey, it felt longer than the first one. So there's that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there is that. And you know this idea that they're like, whoa hold on the man? It We see this a lot in science fiction storyes. You humans and your ways you know, blah blah blah, you're still walking.
Speaker 2: Like anyone we haven't before you were a young savage race. Yeah, I mean like this is like a dozen episodes of Star Trek as well, by the.
Speaker 1: Way, So yeah, yeah, so on brand for fifties or sixties sci fi, you know. And I kind of like the idea of it that everyone else has got this stuff worked out. But then when we go, it's just like the planet doesn't know what's going on, so it just goes a little bit crazy. I'm kind of talking myself into liking this issue a bit more than I did when I first read it. But well, we'll come to our overall thoughts in a moment. But basically what happens is these creatures say, listen, we know what you're like. Now we can change the sort of algorithm or whatever so that you can stay. You can work your stuff out here. You could be here for the century if you wanted to. And most of them are like, sounds great, let's do it. But I think it's the guy who was the like the caretaker guy at the beginning watching over them.
Speaker 2: He's like, no, not for me, Okay, was that the same guy? Because I actually went back and was looking around because I read it once and I looked it over again before this conversation, obviously, and I was like, oh, that makes sense. I mean, it's it's very it's not made very clear in the story, honestly, maybe you know what. And as much as we like it being in black and white, that might be a factor as well, because we got just four dudes who look pretty much identical and then a woman. I'm not sure who's who.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it makes sense that there's names.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, so you get to the end, and we'll get to it here just in a second. But like it book ends because we open with this guy and we close with the same guy. That makes sense, But at no point is it ever made clear or any connections made to like, oh, that's the guy from the beginning who wants to say I just said, oh, one of the five of them wants to stay. I wants to oh, one of the five that wants to leave? Excuse me? Okay, sure.
Speaker 1: So when he gets back to it, as he's clearly got some questions to answer, where is the rest of the crew, and he's sitting down to a couple of you know, maybe superior officers or whatever, and he's saying, you think I'm crazy, don't you You think I've lost my mind. You think I came up with a cock and bull story, but I swear it's all true, every word. And one of the people says, it sounds like an intense experience, but you must understand our skepticism. And the guy says, it's like a cult up there. You don't get it. They're up there living their best life, and you're treating me like I'm a nut. They begged me to let them stay on that rock. If I didn't leave when I did, they might have forced us to stay with them. And basically we're left with I don't know, is it sort.
Speaker 2: Of Is it supposed to be ambiguous? Yeah, if they told a different story in the middle, then maybe, But I don't. I mean, like, I don't like I think. Look, I was I really enjoyed the intro, and I actually did enjoy the outro. It's all the middle stuff. I was like, this is stuff I've seen a hundred times, and it's very strange. And I don't think they're hitting what they think they are, or at least, you know, succeeding what they're trying to do. But I think it's really interesting that at the ends it's the guy trying to explain like he because it's also it's not it's all. It's also a therapy planet, more even more so than like an amusement park planet. And he's like, I don't need to stay here and work through this stuff. And he goes back to Earth and they're like, whoa, he's gotta take him years of therapy to get over this. And I thought, oh, that's some sort of ironic cosmic twist. The guy left the place, now he's back where he is. It was interesting that they didn't believe him. But I don't know how does that inform his character or the whole story, Like there's a way you could tell that story, Like I don't maybe they should have like had the whole framing device of him in this room and people ask him questions and then maybe wrap back around to this. Don't but I did like that kind of like got me like, oh that was that was cool. I liked I liked ending on that beat. I just don't know if it all weaved together as well as it could have, because yeah, it's it is. I like the ambiguous ones. I toilet zones. There's not a lot of them, but those are interesting. They create more conversation. And but I think no, no put intended. It's all black and white, like all that stuff happened. I mean, that's well, there was no reason for us to think this guy made up the story.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I think they're implying that maybe he's sort of lost his mind a little bit. That So I don't know, because you know, if it was me and that happened, I would come back and be like, there's no way I'm telling them that happened. I was just going to say that the rover fell off a cliff or something. You know, That's that's the way I would tend to go. But I think they're implying that he's left them all behind and then gone mad a little because he's left them all behind. But I'm not sure it sets up a reason why he would leave them all behind and.
Speaker 2: Come exactly exactly. Yeah, they could have delved into this guy's frustrated his job at the beginning, Like they really could have, like like cut again the twilight zone ahead two or three people on these astronaut trips. There's a reason for that you cut all that extra fat. Yeah, three people, right, the one guy comes back, he's frustrated. Maybe he did. But even the end, even the who we can assume is the Rodsling, it's a happy ending that could only happen in the Twilight Zone. I'm like a happy ending. Like I thought, you're trying to be all ambiguous about it. Now are you telling me it's a halfy ending? So it's just it's messy. I like some of the elements here. I like I like the setup, I like the closing. I like ambiguity they're trying to go for. But I just it's none of it connects with each other, with each other, and we're sitting here asking these questions about like why would this guy kill everybody and leave him on the planet. I don't know, So yeah, there it is. And then in the middle, I just like I was like, guys, this is you're making this way too complicated, like when because there and there's no way. Also, there's no way they could have made this episode. It's an original Twilight Zone episode with all these monsters and aliens and stuff, like you know, you gotta simplify it, like like it would have been different if he saw like a rabbit, but no, he saw like a rabbit monster and he just sees like a bug. No, it's like a moth monster. And then all that aliens, these giant vegetable monsters. I'm like, and I don't. Maybe that's not being fair to it. Maybe the prerequisite is not this should have been able to have been an episode of the show. Maybe it should be. Look, we can accomplish show all these things we could never do on the show because there's no budget. True, but it was all just kind of weird, Like I just didn't They're finding like Godzilla looking monsters at some point with like some kind of radio device, and like, what is going on? So oh man, I don't know. I might have liked it little more than you, but I also on the whole didn't enjoy it as a whole package.
Speaker 1: There's stuff to like in here. I think we're on the same page in that regard, Like the I like the overall conceit of Again, it's kind of cliche, I suppose, but it is very of that time, you know, humans land on the Planet's like, I'm not ready for you guys and your baggage. Sorry about that. So I like all that. I just think it could have been streamlined into something, you know, like you said, cut it down to like one or two guys and they go to this place that experience bearings and things maybe a little less wacky, you know than these guys experience, but stuff that is psychologically quite tortuous, and I think there's there's a good story at the core here. I just think this was was quite messy. As my overall thoughts on it.
Speaker 2: I did want to put out another direct comparison to that Star Trek episode I mentioned. In that episode, doctor McCoy gets killed by this Black Knight character that the planet makes up like he gets like a like a straight lance through him, and then he and then he disappears. He gets you know what happened to him. In the end, he pops up like, hey, everything's great, guys. He's got like a pretty woman on each arms. Hey, you know, And that's exactly what happens to this guy. He gets presumably eaten by a giant carrot, and then he comes in like drinking a milkshake at the end, having he's like, hey, it was great, Like that is exactly what happens in that Star Trek epis. So now, I know there's a lot of tropes, and like you said, there's a lot of the same beats I mean, but just to me, it was just so directly from that episode, because it's a planet where they go and they imagine things and they pop into their heads and people get killed. But it's hey, it's okay, guys, it's just you guys didn't know the rules. It's a it's an amusement park planet. To just keep that in mind, and I'm like, that is so, that's that's what this is. Like, it's it's I guess it's an homage. It's not a beat for beat rip off. But there's enough things where I was distracted and that was a lot better told story, honestly than this. So that's another factor. But yeah, no, they're like we've been we've been pretty down on it, but there is interesting stuff here. I just think the pieces just didn't fit together.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm still of dumb mind. I actually talked myself into liking it a bit more, even though some of the stuff was just like kind of ridiculous. But hey, you know, it's on Sology comics, like Onstology television. It's it's always a mixed bag.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, and I do like and we both like the Jordan Peele Twilight Zone. We'round rather for that, which I don't know is that a hot take these days? I don't even know what the general consensus is. Who knows.
Speaker 1: Right, in ten years time, people will love that, They'll do another one and they'll be like, it's not like that.
Speaker 2: Jon and Gilbert think I got it. One of our criticisms of that though, was like, hey, everything's like in this not too distant future world, they don't do like Westerns and other planets and all that. I'm like, Okay, I admire the swing of like we're having people get in a spaceship and go to a planet and encounter some weird stuff. So that is very of the original show's DNA. So I respect them for that in this issue.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. Okay, Well, let's just read the teaser for the next one. It says two bygone civilizations pursue a holy relic, for which both sides proudly kill and die. But in the Twilight Zone, nothing is ever as it appears at first glance. Now, the teaser of the cover there, I remember texting new Zac and saying, I don't like to look at this one. You know, this doesn't fit in my twilight zone. So I'm gonna be interested to see what we both think about on the next podcast. So before we go, tell us what's going on with you podcasts? Why is Zach?
Speaker 2: Yes? So always hold on a Smallville. We finished our episode by episode coverage, but currently in a project I'm calling Smallville the Ultimate Season. It is me in different panels of guests, new voices, old voys. As you've heard over the years on the podcast. We're getting together and we're determining the ultimate season of Smallville by going down each episode one of all ten seasons, each episode two of all ten seasons cool, and we're picking the best of those and then assembling the ultimate season of Smallville comprised of you know what episode number from each season. So, you know, a show runs that long for ten seasons, it gives you fun options like that, and so it's just kind of a fun recap celebration. It's kind of fun to see which ones people all agree on. You I'll get rid of those first, and then you know, we usually get it down to like two or three and have a good talk about which one is the ultimate one. So just a fun way to look back and celebrate the show. And that's what we're in the midst of right now. And you can find us on social media at always Malville with one.
Speaker 1: S Okay, I'm just putting it out there. I may steal that idea at the end of the twilight Zone.
Speaker 2: Well, you have my permissions. You just got to have me on a couple episodes and we'll call it even.
Speaker 1: To absolutely absolutely book. Considering how long the Twilight Zone seasons are, I'll probably be setting myself up for another five years of podcast and so we'll see, we'll see, Zach. It's always a pleasure my friend.
Speaker 2: Thanks Tom, see you next time, and.
Speaker 1: We will catch you next time here on the twilight Zone Podcast. Bye for now.