Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Well, this French fry miss continues.
Speaker 3: Hey, Gary Shannon, I just got through that SigAlert on the South Fountain five to be an hour and a half to get from the one thirty four to the two freeway.
Speaker 4: Wow, it's a real mess.
Speaker 5: Wow, that's awful.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're talking about this. You heard it in traffic all morning long. Of course, the southbound lanes of I five right outside Dodger Stadium, right near the stadium way exit, and it's going to be closed for a long time. We stilled the CHP. The last update was that they're going to close it for one hour and then they're going to close it for another two hours. All this because of a crash several vehicles in a big rig. And the reason we're calling it the French Fry crash is because apparently boxes of frozen French fries were on the truck and now are all over the roadway.
Speaker 1: College football season officially here. Week one action gets going today. Several games on the docket, including four ranked teams kicking things off You've got NC state Western Carolina, Missouri hosting Murray State, Kansas hosting lynden Wood, and Utah hosting Southern Utah.
Speaker 2: Well, it's going to be a busy day. It's time for Swamp Watch.
Speaker 3: Swamp is horrible.
Speaker 1: The government man make it like a reality TV show.
Speaker 2: Was a bad boos, always a pleasure to be anywhere from Washington, d c Hey Joe, a.
Speaker 6: Town all too clearly built on a swamp and in so many ways still a swamp.
Speaker 5: I have to watching Milwaukee, he said, drain the swamp.
Speaker 2: I said, Oh, that's so he keep wash.
Speaker 3: You know the thing.
Speaker 1: So, Kamala Harris and Tim Walls are on a bus tour through Georgia, the all important state of Georgia, and that is where CNN is going to catch up with her and tape this interview. They're taping it right now as we speak. Don't really know how long it's going to be, how much of the program it's going to account for. This is going to air six pm our time. Are they going to focus on the bus tour? Are they going to focus on them meeting voters, their origin stories?
Speaker 5: We just don't know.
Speaker 1: CNN has told us nothing about whether or not this will be an hour long interview or twenty minutes.
Speaker 2: And as we mentioned yesterday, I think we were talking about how it would go if she were interrupted by Tim Walls at one point. I don't think. I don't think he would do that, but if he had to kind of jump in and maybe clear up something that she was saying, mister Vice President, I'm speaking.
Speaker 1: He is such a comfortable talker, she is such an uncomfortable talker that he is going to be the iron I believe in this talk she will answer a question, he will come in to iron it out, to put the dot on the eye, the crossing of the tee, and crystallize whatever point he thinks she's trying to make.
Speaker 2: There was an interview that I saw this morning with someone who had interviewed Kamala Harris back in twenty I want to say, sixteen or seventeen, and then in twenty nineteen when she was running for president, and this guy, I don't remember what publication it was that he was writing for, but he said in both of those interviews, she gave off a very cold feeling where she would stare at him, and he said it made him feel like he was being prosecuted, which I think is a funny way to put it, considering her job obviously as prosecutor and then attorney general before she became a senator and now vice president.
Speaker 1: Kind of a mean mugging is what it is. And it was apparent when she sat down with Lester Holt in twenty twenty one. This was the last big interview that she did, and he pressed her on the border.
Speaker 2: Do you have any plans to visit the border. I'm here in Guada Malla today.
Speaker 4: At some point, you know.
Speaker 1: We are going to the border.
Speaker 3: We've been to the border.
Speaker 5: So this whole, this whole, this whole thing about the border.
Speaker 2: We've been to the border.
Speaker 7: You haven't been to the border, and.
Speaker 2: I haven't been to Europe.
Speaker 5: I mean, I don't understand the point that you make it.
Speaker 1: Well, you're the borders are and you haven't been to the border, and Europe is irrelevant that I and you know, not everybody is.
Speaker 2: A good.
Speaker 5: Bs R.
Speaker 2: And and she's not.
Speaker 5: And I understand that. You know, well, I think.
Speaker 2: That's got to be really that's that's one of the questions that has to come up, whether whether the term borders are was ever officially put upon her or or she was technically named as the head of the effort to stem the tide of people crossing the border. She's been in office for three and a half years when we've seen some of the absolute worst conditions along the southern border. What were you doing?
Speaker 1: They put her in a bad spot naming her the borders are. It's like when Obama named Biden the cancers are. That interview could have been, well, you haven't Joe Biden, you haven't cured cancer yet. What are you doing?
Speaker 5: You haven't cured the border crisis yet? What are you doing?
Speaker 1: And you have to just focus on we're making efforts to fix help fix the problem. Is that the problem going to go away? No, it's not going to go away. And furthermore, why isn't she just say what does me going to the border for a photo op? What does that do for the crisis that we're seeing at the border? Me working on the issue in Washington means a lot more than me flying out to the border taking pictures, having cameras there to greet me.
Speaker 5: What does that really do? Lester? I mean, how hard is it to answer that question in that way?
Speaker 2: Yes, but it's one of those things that it's an easy fix, it's an easy box to check so that you stop the criticism. Same thing with this interview. I mean you mentioned it was August eighth or whatever where she made the comment we're going to schedule something before the end of the month. Hello, you don't get much closer to the cutoff than the twenty ninth of August. Yeah, you know, And they could have done it at any time.
Speaker 1: Your dog is going to boot camp. She's been in interview boot camp. I guarantee it.
Speaker 2: Interview, boot camp, debate boot camp. She's they got to tighten her up a little bit. There was also a quick thing I want to mention out. I mentioned this Trump visit to Arlington National Cemetery and how the Trump campaign did release a TikTok video of the visit, but it was the produced version of it that just showed him with the families and paying his respects at Arlington, nothing about the specific physical and verbal altercation that one of the Arlington staff members said took place. All right.
Speaker 1: Also, a new poll from The Hill shows this presidential race tightening.
Speaker 5: We will get an update on that when we come back.
Speaker 3: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 1: AM six forty live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app see the story about the CHP One in six CHP positions are vacant.
Speaker 2: That seems like a lot rate much.
Speaker 1: Higher than in twenty nineteen, despite massive raises in the last two years.
Speaker 2: You know what had happened, didn't We tell cops that we hate them? Is that what happens? Yes, and that it's a bad way of a bad way to spend your life as enforcing laws.
Speaker 5: We told them that their job is criminal in.
Speaker 2: Nature, but please protect me.
Speaker 1: Rookie CHP officers today can expect to earn up to one hundred and seventeen thousand in the first year on duty.
Speaker 2: Wow, and a car and a car, I mean, you don't get your right. Not everybody got to keep the car, but you do get a car. Maybe I should be a CHP officer. That's an awful idea. Why the gun? Oh right, you guys have each other for a wingman, IWMNA should be able to have one.
Speaker 5: Too, you think, yeah, I made that argument yesterday, but.
Speaker 2: Neither one of us also has access to the nuclear football.
Speaker 5: Excellent point.
Speaker 1: I'm just saying, I mean I could make one, and I do think that I could google it with the nuclear football how to make a nuclear weapon.
Speaker 8: Oh hi, guys, I think I'm missing something. I do not understand why Esther cracks up so hard in the swamp watch thing when she says hi to Joe and he says hi, Esther and she just loses a think and it's the funniest thing ever.
Speaker 5: Well, let us know.
Speaker 8: I'm sure I'm not the only one that thinks that.
Speaker 2: That's the magic of non continuous editing. That's all it is. They weren't even in the same place at the same time. Those were sound bites taken from very different places. All Right, New poles come out. New Pole from the Hill specifically shows that this race is tightening as the campaign continues. Joining us now from News Nation, Joe Khalil, the Washington correspondent. We spoke last week while we were in Chicago. Joe. Great to have you back.
Speaker 6: Hey, great to be with you guys again. Thank you.
Speaker 1: So who are we talking about in this poll? Is a specific voting group or what do you have?
Speaker 6: So this is a brand new pole from the Hill, and it shows battleground state to battleground state. What it shows is that this race is virtually a dead heat tie, almost literally as close as you can possibly get. So the way we're approaching this is, you've got seven states that are now considered to be up in the air battleground states. Three of them leaned forward Harris, three of them leaned forward Trump, and their margins, by the way, are between one and three percent tops. So it's a virtual tie in all six of those. And then the seventh state is Pennsylvania, which is actually forty eight to forty eight, a real tie right now. So national polls show Kamala Harris has a three four point lead, but frankly, national polls don't mean a whole hell of a lot at this point. What you want to look at are the battleground states individually, and what they show is that it's a coin flip right now.
Speaker 1: She has succeeded in doing what Biden could not do this year, which is lead Trump in these numbers. They said that Hispanic Black voters, young people are she's seeing increase in numbers from what Biden had in all of those groups, and also the group of people who make less than twenty thousand dollars a year. She's got a three point edge over Trump. No, no, no, she Okay, so Trump had a three point edge over Biden in that group in June. Yeah, and now she has a twenty three point advantage over Trump. So that's quite the swing from Biden to Harris.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that is if you apply that state by state, it is incredibly significant. And actually you can even look at states like California for people answering those questions and you think, okay, California is a foregone conclusion, right, so we know kind of where that's gonna go. It's gonna go to Kamala Harris. But just the fact that people are answering that way, it shows you that there is sort of an enthusiasm shift that it may not have to do anything with Donald Trump. It may just have had to do with people not being so excited about Joe Biden Democrats who now are excited by Donala Harris. And one more thing that she was able to do, at least at this point is expand the map. So if you go back to twenty twenty, all of the swing states at that point they were considered only six. North Carolina was not really in play although it was closer than you'd expect, But Joe Biden won all six of the key swing states in twenty twenty. The game for Donald Trump now is he needed to flip three out of those six. At this point, it's even harder for him now to do that because Kamala Harris has expanded the map. Georgia, which was not at all even in play for Joe Biden, now leans Kamala Harris by one point. For this new the hill Pole. North Carolina was also not even in play for Joe Biden. Now our poll shows that Donald Trump has a one point lead in North Carolina, which is obviously competitive enough where Tim Walls is there today, and that is all of a sudden going to be a battleground state. So it does complicate the map for everybody. But again, virtual coin flip.
Speaker 2: At this point, you mentioned that national polling really doesn't mean much just the way our system works with the Electoral College, et cetera. If that's the case, why do we get sucked into following those numbers as much as we do? Why do the pollsters even bother with a nationwide poll when it's the swing states that are going to decide this.
Speaker 6: You know, I think it's because it just provides a little context. It shows that again nationally, Donald Trump was winning by two or three points to Joe Biden, and now Kamala Harris has in most polls the three to four point lead over Donald Trump nationally. Again, it just tells, it helps tell the story maybe of why we're seeing what we're seeing in the individual battleground states. And again, you know, you measure that in charisma, you measure that in enthusiasm, you measure that by you know, let's say, when we looked at Donald Trump, he got about a one point boost from his convention in Milwaukee. So now what we're seeing is maybe a one to two point boost for Kamala Harris after their convention in Chicago. That's why, you know, in some ways the national polls are kind of helpful to fill in the gaps and tell the story. But when you want to ask, you get to brass task and look and say, okay, who's going to win this election? You can't look at the national polls. You have to look at Pennsylvania and Michigan and Wisconsin and the like.
Speaker 5: All right, yeah, these these numbers are wild.
Speaker 1: I mean, you know, you'll voters eighteen to thirty four moved from supporting Trump by eleven points to supporting Harris by thirteen.
Speaker 5: And you've got to think about, like, the younger voters.
Speaker 1: Those are the people who don't make money, and so that whole redistribution of wealth things she's got going on is absolutely attractive to them.
Speaker 5: I would, I guess from you know, from that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, And speaking of younger voters, something that is actually not reflected in this poll, and I guess I'm going to do a little spoiler. I hope my competitors are not listening. But what's also interesting is how many new voter registrations there are in certain areas. That is a measure of enthusiasm, but that is going to actually matter. So if you look at places that are historically in the last five or six years more Republican versus areas that are historically more democrat. As Kamala Harris got into the race, you're seeing tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands more voter registrations just within the last couple of weeks since she got in the race. And what does that tell you? That tells you that those are likely going to be voters, right, I mean, why would you go through the trouble of registering to vote right now if you don't actually plan on using that power in voting. So that too, I think if you're the Trump campaign right now, when you look at those numbers and where that's happening, tend to be more blue areas, tend to be more college towns, younger people starting to register to vote just in the last three or four weeks. That would be a concerning sign if you're someone in the Trump campaign, and probably the most encouraging sign if you're in the Harris Walls headquarters to that.
Speaker 5: Absolutely sure, thank you, great stuff, Thank you, Thank you.
Speaker 6: Guys.
Speaker 2: We'll talk with Joe, I'm sure many times in the next seventy days or so. Is Washington Correspondents Nation.
Speaker 3: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: Of course, the big story today is going to be the first interview with teammates, I guess you could say ticket mates, Vice president Kamala Harris and her running mate, Minnesota Governor Tim Walls, sitting down for the first major television interview of their campaign. They've been traveling through southeast Georgia on a bus tour. Dana Bash from CNN is going to be asking the questions. They say they're going to air it at six o'clock tonight. We are our time, and we still don't know exactly what it's going to look like, if it's going to be long form, if it'll be edited, how it will be edited, et cetera. But that will be on at six o'clock tonight. Police temporarily had to lock down a pair of high schools yesterday in the Van Eyes Lake Balboa area in response to some phone calls containing a shooting threat. Threats directed at Birmingham Community Charter High School in Van Ey's and then High Tech LA Charter High School in Lake Balboa. But it only took a few hours. They we're back to normal operations by the afternoon.
Speaker 1: Bigger than a smartphone, but smaller than a laptop. Your tablet is the Goldilocks tech It's where we kick off tech talk.
Speaker 2: The machines are getting smarter.
Speaker 3: This is tech Talk my sky net.
Speaker 1: Mark Saltzman, Top of the afternoon to you, thank you for joining us. I love my tablet. I prefer actually to watch things on my tablet.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you're not alone, I mean, and it's you know, people say, well, if you've got a TV in your bedroom, for example, why watch something on your tablet in bed? But if your tablet is just a couple of inches in front of your eyes, it's going to appear much bigger than your TV would, right if it's on a wall, good point, several feet away, even if it's fifty fifty inches or higher or bigger. So yeah, I love it as well, and I love loading it up with content, whether it's streaming stuff that I download. I fly because you can have an option to download Netflix and other stuff when you're offline, or you can what we call sideloaded with movies and TV shows that you already have files by using a program like VLC, which is free and it plays virtually every kind of video or audio format by just dragging and dropping it onto the iPad when it's connected to PC or Mac.
Speaker 2: Why would I want to split the keyboard on my tablet?
Speaker 4: Ah, good question, Gary, never thought you'd ask. Well, I think you're referring to a Costco connection article that I wrote where like little things you might not know you can do with your tablet, Shannon and I got a little carried away with the video viewing for a moment. But yeah, so why would you want to split the keyboard on your tablet?
Speaker 7: That is for people who like to type a lot.
Speaker 4: Whether it's notes, or you're writing an email, or you know, you're messaging somebody on social media, and you find it hard to hold a tablet with both hands and type because your thumbs can't quite reach the keys in the middle of that virtual keyboard. So it's big, it's not like a smartphone. So what you can do with an iPad, for example, is simply press your thumbs down on the keyboard, then pull them away from each other so towards the edges of the tablet and the keyboard will split into two smaller little keyboards that now your thumbs can reach all the keys comfortably. You don't have to do anything in the settings or options area. It's just a little trick that works with Android. It's similar, and there's a little button on the bottom left of the virtual keyboard that you top that also splits it.
Speaker 7: So again, the idea is that it makes.
Speaker 4: It easier to type and hold the tablet simultaneously, and so that's a good one. Again, I'm not talking about I'm not talking about the old home row key with the aspf JKL set me poland if anybody is old enough to take a type in class when they're younger, this is when you want to use your thumbs. So that's one little trick with your iPad or other tablet, it could be an Android tablet. Another one is free phone calls, So if you're on Wi Fi or some tablet have cellular support, the idea is that you can install a free app like text Now, which is an app that gives you a free phone number. You type in the city that you want to make it look like you're from.
Speaker 7: You could say Los.
Speaker 4: Angeles and whatever area codes are available, you'll get one for free, and then you can call or text with somebody on your iPad as a secondary line. So if you're you know, again with sticking with the example with chan, and you're in bed, you're watching something and you want to make a phone call, but your phone is charging up somewhere else in the home, you can actually make a call through the iPad speakers and microphone and it's free.
Speaker 7: Again. The app is called text Now.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 4: It does also work with a smartphone if you want to second line a burner number if you will, and that's the and it'll ring differently than your main phone number with your carrier. So that's a really good app to have called text.
Speaker 2: Now we've talked before a go ahead.
Speaker 7: Yeah, no, no, my bad, go ahead.
Speaker 2: I was just going to say, we've also talked about using a tablet or an old phone as a security camera. I haven't done this yet, but I'm tempted to do it every time we mentioned it.
Speaker 4: Yeah. One other thing you can do with any old tablet or smartphone that you don't need anymore is to repurpose it. So if you can't hand it down to a family member that can use it, or donate it to a church or a community center or what have you, you can turn that old tablet into a digital photo frame and load it up with photos and have it cycle through them.
Speaker 7: You can mount it to your wall or prop it up on it like an end table.
Speaker 4: You can turn it into an alarm clock, or you can turn it into a security camera.
Speaker 7: There are free apps.
Speaker 4: One of them that I like the best, called Alfred is just like the person's name. It's a free app that you first install on your old tablet or phone and then you drop it up somewhere like a baby's or I don't know, you're an in dorm room now that it's back to school season and you want to keep an eye on your stuff.
Speaker 7: Then on your phone you.
Speaker 4: Log into the same same Alfred account and now you can see whatever is happening on that old tablet or smartphone through its camera. The only caveat is that it has to be plugged in for power. And again you just point that camera on that old tablet or and even if as a cracked screen, it works great as a secondary digital excuse me, a security camera or a nantycam and then you just log in on your phone or you can set it up for it whenever it's a text, motion or sound to push a notification to your existing smartphone.
Speaker 7: So that's a that's a neat little way to.
Speaker 4: Take advantage of old tech that you have that you haven't gotten rid of yet.
Speaker 2: I do like the idea of using a cracked screen smartphone because no one will assume that that thing is actually spying.
Speaker 7: On you to go.
Speaker 4: Just be careful if you if it is a cracked screen, you don't want to get any class. I know you're oking, but yeah, I mean yeah, I mean I'm implaying when I say nanny cam by the way, I'm not saying you should secretly, you know, see what someone do without their consent. But I'm using that phrase very loosely.
Speaker 1: Mark Saltzman, thank you so much. Appreciate it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you too.
Speaker 7: We'll speak in a couple of weeks.
Speaker 2: I'm off to Europe, but we get enjoy, actually have a great time Mark Saltzman. There, of course, make sure you follow Mark on x m r C Underscore Saltsman.
Speaker 1: Coming up next, murder Ball. I've been invited to play murder ball. Yeah, oh cool. I don't take you for a rugby guy. Well, it's not for the rugby part of it. That's that's I don't think you have the thighs for it for rugby.
Speaker 2: I do not, No, you do not. I probably have weak bones too.
Speaker 5: Well, I wouldn't go that far.
Speaker 3: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KF six forty.
Speaker 2: Christapleton's out with a new video for the think I'm in Love with You song that was on the latest album just literally, I mean it came out. The album's called Hire the song think I'm in Love with You. You've heard it a million times, but the video that goes along with it was just released and you don't see that as much as I mean. It's a really well done video. It's five minutes of your time. Check it out. A couple stories that we're following today. Of course, the big interview CNND tonight will be interviewing Kamala Harris and Tim Walls, the first real sit down for the duo as they make their way through southeast Georgia on a bus tour. Six pm our time is when they're going to air it. We talked earlier about a new poll that suggested that there is some ties in some of the big swing states. This Emerson College poll from The Hill and The Hill, also released today, shows that they're splitting the swing states even like ninety three Doctoral college votes up for grabs between Arizona, North Carolina, Wisconsin, which Trump leads in Georgia, Michigan, Nevada where Harris has slight leads, and then the tie in Pennsylvania. That's going to be a very long November fifth.
Speaker 1: It was the late nineteen seventies when quadriplegics saw wheelchair basketball and said, nay, we want this to be more physical, and wheelchair rugby was born.
Speaker 5: They call it murder ball.
Speaker 2: Is this is an absolute deal and it scares the living be Jesus out of it.
Speaker 1: The leading, mangled fingers, torns, shoulders, broken bones. The physicality one of their favorite parts of this sport.
Speaker 2: So one of the things that you can see maybe in this picture here, it's kind of an action shot, so it's a little harder to see, but the wheelchairs themselves are modified to try to protect people's body parts. Where the wheels are cambered, that what you call it, where the top half of the wheel is inside. They're at an angle so that they're at the inside so as you're pushing the wheelchair with your hand, you're not just smashing flat up against somebody else's wheelchair. The other thing is that guard that goes out in front to protect your feet, and then a couple of metal rails ideally to protect your legs, your knees and stuff, because they tend to jut out.
Speaker 1: The US, once dominated the sport, has not won a Paralympic gold medal in wheelchair rugby, though since two thousand and eight, matches begin today, so the team will be looking to reclaim the top spot there in Paris, but they're going to have to beat out seven other teams equally as tough.
Speaker 2: Now there's a question that I think a lot of people have about Paralympics is how do they determine who gets to be qualified as disabled to the point that they would qualify for the Paralympics. And in this sport specifically, players are assigned to point value based on the level of function of their bodies their legs towards range from a point five for less function up to a three point five for more function. Teams are four players at a time, and the combined point value of all four players cannot exceed those eight points. So of the four people on the floor, some of them are point five, so maybe three point five whatever it is for each female player on the court, the team's allowed point value can increase by that half a point. And you can roll the ball, you can hit the ball, you can throw it, bounce it, whatever it is to pass it, but you have to dribble or pass the ball at least once every ten seconds or it's a turnover. And then when the team has the ball. They have only forty seconds to score. I mean the low pointers can use wheelchairs with a metal extension called a picker that will jam the other player's wheels. Seems a little bit like what is that robot? The robot battle bots. The defensive chairs can either block an opposing player or create spaces for teammates to slip in and then to score. You take this ball, it's about the size of a volleyball to the opposing team's try line, end zone, whatever you want to call it. But it's rugby, so we call it the try line. The players can roll or bat or throw the ball past it, and they must dribble or pass, like I said, every ten seconds. Very very physical game. You can't, I mean, you can't hold onto the other person's wheelchairs. They're flying past you. But you can ram it. That's always fun. That's always a fun. Sumper cars. It is very much bumper cars.
Speaker 1: All right, we'll talk trending when we come back to Gary and Shannon.
Speaker 2: You've been listening to the Gary and Shannon Show. You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app,