Speaker 1: Taxi.
Speaker 2: I'm this is the seventy seven WABC Mini Cast.
Speaker 1: And we're delighted to bring back to the show one of the great experts on Europe and other international foreign policy topics, Peter Ruff, who's a senior Fellow at the Hudson Institute. He's the director of the Center on Europe and Eurasia. Also previously served in the White House, and a noted commentator and an essayist himself. So let me let me just start giving you my thoughts on on this and I'll turn it over to Eric and Jesse and at this time I'll pick up Peter. I'm very concerned about the Russian war against Ukraine, and this all started because nobody challenged Russia when they made the move previously against Georgia or previously I don't mean george like in Atlanta Georgia. I mean Georgia and in Europe the move against Georgia and the piece and say, well, yeah, what do I know. That's why we have Peter on and they pick that up, and they pick up a piece of the Ukraine. Now, my view about world affears is you cannot reward aggression. You should not be in the business of appeasing aggression. This war has not going on for years and years and years. The body counts on both sides are enormously high. This is a war that never should have been fought. People underestimated the pathology of mister Putin, and it leads me to the concern how does this end? Because I keep rereading that the Ukraine is running out of defensive equipment to stop the barrage of the attacks against them. And is there a view inside of Russia that enough is enough and try to push Putin into place to stop this? So those are but now think about those questions and I'll turn it over to Eric now.
Speaker 2: So Peter, thanks for joining us. It's always great to hear your perspective.
Speaker 1: I think you'd be helpful.
Speaker 3: It's good to be on with such republican royalty.
Speaker 2: So thank you.
Speaker 1: And by the way, I'm the House Democrat with shock.
Speaker 2: And you're the most conservative one on the call. Anyway, So a lot of focus has been on Iran. We've been talking a lot about Iran everywhere we go in the you read the paper, on the radio, and news. Iran the war that seems to have been forgotten, which is of equal importance in my view, is the one in Ukraine, because it's actually all part of one war. You have the issue of the concerns in Taiwan, but Ukraine and Iran can't be separated because China, Russia and Iran can't be separated. But can you kind of give the audience, our listeners a update as to exactly where we are, what's transpired in the last year or so, and kind of what you have seen looking forward in the future.
Speaker 3: Sure, and I couldn't resist that oxymoron of Republican royalty given any consistent with one another. But to return to the issue at play, the war in Ukraine right now, I think we're really seeing what amounts to two battles taking place in a broader war. The first battle is what we can basically describe as the land war in the eastern part of Ukraine. This is what some of your listeners might have heard on TV or radio or read of the newspapers as a so called Dombas region of eastern Ukraine. It's a short form for the Donsque Basin, a blend of the river Donets and the word basin. This is a full rich area which powered Russia. Is industrialization the nineteenth century, and Vladimir Putin has formerly annexed the two states and Ukrainian, you would say, the old loss of Donetsk and lu Hansk that make up the Dombas, and the Russians have since intervening slowly surptitiously in twenty fourteen and then there very aggressively in twenty twenty two twenty twenty three, taken all of one of those two states, Luhansk, but the second, the state of Dunask, still is significantly controlled by the Ukrainians. Not just that, but they have their fortress belts established in that state because they've seen this coming since twenty fourteen. And other parts of Ukraine the defenses who are a little bit more ramshackle and improvised. But here there are cities that some of your listeners might also have heard of, like Slodyansko, Kramatrsk and any of that. Those are very heavily fortified defensive positions and the Russians are trying to ram their way forward and it's basically stalemated, which shouldn't confuse anyone. The operational tempo is still very very high, hundreds of engagements each day, and the Russians are losing based on public accounts and what our Director of CIA has testified and said publicly tens of thousands of troops per month trying to push forward. But because of the advances and drone warfare and other innovations on the battlefield, the Ukrainians put up a pretty formidable defense. And what everyone seems to be an agreement on is that the Russians are really going to struggle the remainder of this calendar year to make progress and to break their way through. But the second battle is the battle of the air war. And here again what some of your listeners might have seen on social media and elsewhere are these spectacular dueling strike campaigns. So on the one hand, the Ukrainians have innovative new forms of mid range strike where they're taking drones and firing them deep into the Russian Federation. They're also working on cruise missiles and now even blistic missile systems. The ballistic missiles aren't fielded, but they do have cruise missiles and they're striking deep into Russia, really downgrading Russian refinery capacity. They've also gone after kind of clever targets like what is the equivalent of Russia's amazon A delivery system, warehouses, and so the average Russia is beginning to feel that, and so they've really put a crimp into the Russian economy. There have been smoked at times, not often, but at times build lilying outside of Saint Petersburg and Moscow. So it's undeniable that this war is being brought home to roost a bit to the Russian people. But the counter to that is the Russians have kept up their rate of production of ballistic missiles, their own drone and Pruise missile swarms, and they are hammering Ukraine, and in particular the hammering Ukraine's big cities, and the Ukrainians have gotten pretty adept at taking out Russian drones. But the Ruvio is only one answer right now in the world to aeroblistic missile attacks, and those are Patriot interceptors which the United States produces. And as you just said, Eric, we're in the midst of the confrontation with the Uranians, which at times has run very hot, tilted into full scale war. At other times it's been a sort of a dance. But we've run down some of our own magazine levels for that. We also have an Indo pay Coom or a Payton Command so in charge of the Pacific theater that has to plan for contingencies. So we have to keep some patriots in reserve there who knows where they're on conflict is heading in the coming weeks and months, and so we really not pulled back. I think this was somewhat foreseeable. But we haven't been able to deliver large numbers of patriot interceptors to the Ukrainians, and so last night, for example, there was a devastating attack on Kiev, and the Ukrainians basically aren't intercepting with stick missiles anymore. So the Russian campaign, or I think the Russian calculation is we might not be able to plow our way through these defensive formations that Ukraine has in the east, but winter is just around the corner. The famous General Winter Russia's best and most able commander. And if they can get to winter and in the winter then really go after the critical infrastructure, then they can have a replay of last winter, one of the coldest in recent history in Ukraine, where they can take out Ukrainian heating and basically freeze out the civilian population and forced them into a one sided so called peace. Now Ukraine started to really distribute generators. They've you know, invested in solar paneling, They've tried to decentralized their grid and get ready for this. But it's a big concern. And so those are the two battles that are being waged. And because neither side, both sides have a theory of victory and both sides see a dynamic battlefield, Kiev and isn't prepared to give the sort of concessions that Moscow demands, and the Russians are still asking incredible things of Ukraine. The White House, I think, is in broad agreement that what the Russians are asking for they haven't even accomplished on the battlefield and shouldn't get right now.
Speaker 1: So how does this end?
Speaker 2: I mean, it sounds like you're describing an intractable problem. The bottom line for each of the countries is miles and miles apart. Basically, Putin wants Ukraine to surrender, and Ukraine is demanding that Russia withdraw and they're not going to give up territory. Oh, that remains to be seen. So the Ukrainians survived last winter, notwithstanding the Russian advantage in ballistic missiles.
Speaker 3: So where do we go from here, Well, I'd say the Ukrainian play. The Ukrainian calculation is that they can begin to put such absorbit and economic costs on Russia that the Russians will go for a line of contact agreement, which Ukraine is prepared to sign up for. So that means, you know, Russian bond auctions are struggling, their economies weakening, they have inflationary problems, there's now open infighting between the Kremlin and the Central Bank, and there may be manpower issues, or at least the Russians will have to go to some sort of surreptitious mobilization after the State Duma elections that's the Russian parliament next month. And last time the Russians went to a mobilization that it really led to an exodus of able bodied men into for example, Central Asia. So basically, the Ukrainians want to put enough pressure on the Russians or the Russians prepared to engage in what the Ukrainians would say is a fair and reasonable negotia. They're not delusional, they don't think that they're going to get Mary Opal or some of these cities that the Russians have taken far behind the front lines back anytime soon, but they at least want a line of contact. And the Russians, meanwhile, thinks that they can put more pressure on the Ukrainians and force the Ukrainians to hand over areas that are very important for their defenses and guard some of their best cities and some of the defenses which are really the key to defending across the open plains of Ukraine all the way to Kiev. And so, because neither side really is prepared to give into the other yet we don't have a horizon, or it really isn't right for negotiations, is how I would put it. You need either one an absolute scalemate where neither side sees any dynamism, any potential for progress, or you need a one sided situation where there's a breakthrough and you basically have terms being dictated. Those are traditionally classicated conditions for successful negotiations, and I don't think that's what the present yea.
Speaker 1: Let me ask you this question, what is it significance of the fact that Russia seems to have some sort of dependency on the North Koreans in terms of manpower and technical support. What does it mean to Putin's regime? What does it mean to Europe that you have this infiltration of the North Koreans.
Speaker 3: There Well, one difference between Ukraine's partners and allies and Russia's partners and allies is that the Europeans are prepared to be rather generous and they're support of Ukraine. They just put together a ninety billion euro so basically one hundred billion dollar loan package which is unlikely to be repaid anytime soon to Ukraine. They've emptied out some of their own ammunition stores and creating their own vulnerabilities to support Ukraine. But they're not prepared to go fight and die against Russia and Ukraine, whereas the North Koreans are prepared to actively deploy troops into Russia during an earlier round of combat. Now they're setting up a ballistic missile unit together with the Russians that will fire into into key Ukrainian positions. And so the North Koreans have died on the battlefield, and I think that's a pretty demonstrable and significant difference. Moreover, it has implications for the United States because in the early moments of North Korea's first intervention, its first round of support for Ukraine. These were like North Korean troops running across the open fields and just being taken out by drones one by one. They were not really ready for warfare of today. They looked much more like a North Korean army of the nineteen fifties fighting General MacArthur and the United Nations forces on the Korean peninsula. But they're learning, and I think this poses a real conundrum that raises concerns for South Koreans. It raises concern for our defense on the Korean peninsula, and it is in the one way street. I mean, the North Koreans in return have gotten hard currency, They've gotten hard cash, They've probably got gotten upgrades areas of military power. So they had a few satellite tests fail, which are probably considered to be cover for polistic BISTO program. Then after the first round of support for the Russian suddenly they had more success than that program. So the assumption is that Russian is lending some of its technical expertise to the North Koreans. So this is a this is a real concern, and I think it speaks to this tightening axis of anti American powers in the world, Iran, North Korea, Russia and China, and an open wound and battlefield. There is the war in Ukraine.
Speaker 2: So one of the I think it was Dwight Eisenhower. One of his great admonitions was if things aren't going well, expand the expan the war. So there's been a lot of talk, at least I've been reading about. It's a lot of speculation that Putin is contemplating expanding the war and attacking a NATO nation, either Estonia or Latia seems to be at the top of the list to see them. Seem if he could break NATO, see if the Americans will respond to their Article five obligations or the Europeans will respond to an Article five obligations and sent troops and confront Russia. Failing that, that's the end of NATO. What is your sensus to the likelihood that Putin will look to expand the war and draw in NATO.
Speaker 3: Well, my basic assessment has been for several years now that the Russian strategic goal is to isolate Ukraine in a one to one matchup, where Russia's superior size can grind down the Ukrainians and eventually dictate terms. And so the saber rattling that we've seen from the Russians at the nuclear level where they basically inverted the nuclear paradigm. You know, we think of nuclear weapons as the ultimate defensive weapon. They've used it to try to coerce the Europeans away. They've used hybrid measures. Last night there was an action in the Black Sea where the Romanians and S sixteen took out a Russian naval drone that was getting near the next to a major gas field in the Black Sea that the Romanians are keen on developed thing that's a hybrid measure as Orislow Funnel, and the European Commissioned President turned into a hybrid active hybrid warfare that the Russians are conducting. So at the high end nuclear, at the low end hybrid. The middle tier, the conventional powers is stuck in the Ukraine, but he's trying to push the Europeans and the Americans away by coercing, threatening, compelling them to leave Ukraine out to dry so it can be defeated one on one. But there has been a change. I think that's been broadly. I think the conventional wisdom which i've mostly shared. I think you're referring to was a pretty prominent piece in the Wall Street Journal saying that American intelligence agencies may now be shifting to say and the Russians could be interested in doing so. And really, I think it comes down to a couple of pieces. One is, we've drawn down our interceptors for the war in Iran. So you could interpret that Wall Street Journal piece as our intelligence agencies leaking reports to the press so as to continue the drum breed of anti Trump news on Operation Epic Fury. But clearly, if the Russians calculate that we don't have the munition's magazine depth to engage in a major combat operation outside of the Middle East at this point, then they might be more tempted. Secondly, you know, Putin is paying enormous costs for this relatively slender, small sliver of land in eastern Ukraine, and he has to justify to his population the cost of thirty to forty thousand killed are wounded each month, and basically the destruction of the modern Russian economy. He's doing that by saying that he's fighting a broader war against the West, and so how better to make that kind of scene than to take a shot at a NATO ally. Third element would be whether or not the US is resolved to respond, So it depends on the Cumben's calculations there. And then fourth, and this is less discussed. Europe is in a dramatic period of rearmament, and you know the seasons being too slow and flooding, and they have their issues with procurement and all the rest. But to put it simply that the Germans are now going to be spending more than the French and British combined. Chancellor Mertz, the leader of Germany, has said that he wants to build the most powerful conventional arm in Europe, and so the Russians might calculate that in a sort of net assessment. Now is a window and it will never get any better, because once all that European defense spending comes online, the opportunity to exercise sort of a raventious play the Baltic states which used to be part of the Soviet Union, will be done. My own personal opinion is that the Russians like to probe and test, observe and then react, and so this isn't like a set Russian calculation or a set Russian game plan. It's really going to be observing how the West responds and then acting in an opportunity way thereafter. And quite frankly, we saw that in Ukraine in the summer of twenty twenty one. The Russians deployed huge numbers of forces to the Ukrainian border, then left their kit there, but the troops themselves withdrew and they observed kind of how the West responds to that. Putin calculated that the Biden administration of the Europeans weren't serious enough, and then that ultimately, I think probably tipped him, along with the disastrous AFGHANICSDAN withdrawal and other factors, into going full bore dynamics.
Speaker 1: Read.
Speaker 3: It's a dynamic situation and it really depends also on the West as much as it does on what's going on in the Kremlin.
Speaker 4: Jesse Peter, thank you for joining us again. It's a pleasure to hear you and get that update. I was wondering speaking about Europe and the Russian economy that you had touched upon.
Speaker 3: Where are we on the update.
Speaker 4: Where there were some elements of the President was actually very specifically, very upset about the fact that European countries were still actually almost funding the war machine, the Russian war machine against Ukraine by still acquiring gasoline, natural gas from Russia.
Speaker 3: And that's still going on.
Speaker 4: Or is that purbed as Europe as Europe has been, you know, basically going through this era of rearming.
Speaker 3: Well it's a great question. It's supposed to being curbed, and it's ongoing in the sense that the Europeans at the EU level, So the EU twenty seven countries of the European Union made a determination that beginning January one, twenty twenty seven, there will be no longer term contracts anymore being issued for Russian natural gas, and that's really LNG that's coming in through say Belajioum, and in France. The Germans claim that they don't draw any more Russian gas, but of course some of that LNG's ben tRNS shipped through the Batalist countries to the German economy, but it's dramatically reduced. The Hungarians were an exception, as were the Slovaks, both on oil, which the Europeans no longer take aside from those exceptions and on gas. But by large, the consensus the major economies is that they need to move away from this, I think it's probably acknowledged that, for example, the famous North Stream two in North Stream pipeline systems which brought gas from Russia to Germany the a Baltic Sea pipeline, that that was a mistake, and it's just a matter of being able to pivot with out so upending the European economies that they basically de industrialize altogether. The new major provider of natural gas, in addition to the Norwegians in Europe and then a few other like the Qataris and the Algerians and others, is really the United States. So we've really jumped into the fray. It's been good for American export business and it's good for the Europeans. It's forges the title link across the Atlantic. But basically the calculation is Russian gas. Russian natural gas is a problem, and it's being wound down, but we're not there altogether, and given the size of the European economy, the numbers are still significant. The other thing that I would point to that's also problematic is Russian's ability to still source Western components for its weapon systems through exporting Asian or third country transhipment. And so you have you know, the Russian which have a manufacturing base, but not a lot of high technology industries being able to get things like you know, key components for weapons systems that are you know, US or European based companies.
Speaker 1: Well, Peter on behalf of Jesse and Eric and myself. I want to thank you very very much.
Speaker 2: I wish we had more time.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, we'll have to you know, apparently no, of course you have to come back because apparently Putin is not giving up and this.
Speaker 2: Is right, and so the odds are high you're coming back.
Speaker 1: Perhaps absolutely listen, listen, but we bring you back for coffee and donuts. You know, after war came came to a conclusion. But it looks like we're going to have to bring you back to talk about this is ongoing war of agression by this pathological dictator who doesn't know that enough is enough. And you have to hand it to the Olynskin, the Ukrainians. Everybody thought they were going to be rolled and rolled quickly, including especially the Russians, and they were not rolled, and they weren't rolled quickly, and they're still in this. And you have to give the Ukrainians credit and their advances in military technology is absolutely extraordinary. In many ways, the revolutionary is the nature of warfare. So we're going to have you back and we deeply appreciate it. Thanks for joining us again, and gentlemen, thank you, thank you, Peter. This has left the record, show Chairman Jessica see the Republican Party noted attorney, comet essayist Eric Lavine. I'm Judge Richard Wamberg. We just had Peter Ruff of the Hession Institute's director of the Center for Europe and Eurasia. He's a White House person the Bush administration. Wonderful guy, brilliant insight, and we're very fortunate to have him