Speaker 1: Get weird on a Thursday. Why not we have weird on a Thursday. Chris com Ronnie is live in studio. Now, you and I are both fans of the sunshine. Do you enjoy a little bit of rain from time to time or is this just an indicator of what we're.
Speaker 2: In form The answer is yes.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, like yes and.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's fine. I think we were absurdly spoiled the last month. Yes, were something that's I don't remember ever happening here, like end of September through basically most of October, where it's eighty degrees every day, like no clouds in the sky. This is fine, this is this is acceptable. I'm about it. That rain and wind means like clear air, chrisp aair.
Speaker 1: Yes it does.
Speaker 2: And at the end of the day, that's what we're all aiming for in this place.
Speaker 1: For sure, and we have been spoiled with an actual fall, so we'll take that. Christopher, how are you man? Happy Thursday? Things good with you?
Speaker 2: I'm good, man. I'm standing up straight because I know I'm on YouTube.
Speaker 1: Chris is on YouTube. If you want to go watch us on YouTube, go ahead. We get like two people, man, don't worry about it, you know, and that's why I keep the lights low.
Speaker 2: Four it's Aaron and John Paul waiting to get screen grabs of us embarrassing ourselves. Good point.
Speaker 1: So wait, there's currently four viewers on YouTube.
Speaker 2: Yeah, pressures on? Can you find out who it is? Like? Can you see the.
Speaker 1: Accounts of good question? Can you porter? Negative? All right?
Speaker 3: Negative?
Speaker 1: Well, let's see the.
Speaker 4: Christopher Comaraddie funk is one is one of them, though the Chris.
Speaker 1: Comaraddi in studio situation might change things. So hopefully we get to ten. Let's see if we can get to ten YouTube viewers by the end of four point thirty, which is when Chris leaves us, So appreciate your time. Excellent shirt which features Aaron falk On talking sports, and that's the goat Adam Miklich behind him, correct the goat?
Speaker 2: Do you need an explanation?
Speaker 1: Yes? Please?
Speaker 2: So, when Aaron was the jazz beat writer for The Tribune, he was doing a live shot after the Joe Johnson Clippers series. They won Game.
Speaker 1: Seven from La Yeah and.
Speaker 2: KU TV had Aaron Non live to talk about it, and they were kind of fumbling around last second to make sure everything was going to be go off all copaesthetic and Adam to make sure Aaron got his ear piece in, put the thumb behind it and shoved it basically all the way into his ear drum. So that cringe you're seeing Aaron on Aaron's face is a legit painful. Oh, I hope my ear drum hasn't ruptured.
Speaker 1: We're down to one viewer on you. Yes, we getting a oh man, that is why do Why don't I have that shirt?
Speaker 2: Can order one? I'll send you in.
Speaker 1: Oh please do?
Speaker 2: You can pick your color and everything.
Speaker 1: So if you want to see a T shirt with a picture of Aaron Falk cringing because Adam Mikolich just stabbed him in the ear drum, ck is wearing that. Three viewers now we just added two viewers. Check out our YouTube page if you'd like. Let's go all right, Chris, you.
Speaker 2: Know what is the sky falling? You know?
Speaker 1: Before we do that, let's save Utah football for the four o'clock out that I like. And let's start with the lads. Okay, let's start with the It'.
Speaker 2: Still okay because I know it's in a little bit of like you know, parking the bus, so to speak. Like if we're playing online and we're playing against a player that you know is better than you, got to kind of play from the back.
Speaker 1: That feels like a personal shot. But anyway, but I know Trey's listening. He's crying real tears because we haven't talked to oursl and they play this week, and we'll do a whole segment of Utah Football Cam rising at the four o'clock hour, and we'll also recap your trip to Hawaii to hunt for pigs with Trevor Riley. A real thing. But as we approach the final match of the season, you'll be good with us. Put into context what setting a record would mean four points in a season. If they get three on Saturday, that's oh wow. I did not know that it would set a record for the regular season.
Speaker 2: Wow. I still think that we're playing the same amount of regular season games as we did around the early twenty tens to mid twenty tens when they had really good runs, So that obviously you can compare that fairly. On one hand, glass half full, despite very lackluster last two months, the fact that you can still achieve that is impressive. Yea glass half empty. If they don't hit the skids in August, September and October, you wonder where this team could be. Honestly, like I, and this is going to be a talking point for the fan base for a long time, is what was the ultimate ceiling of this team before they had to sell Andras Gomas and I think you can make an argument that it was a potential top two seed, But as good as Andras was and as in sync as he was with Diego Luna and Chico Rongo, it wasn't really. It was kind of masking the defensive deficiencies of this team for a long time. I mean, we were watching very fun back and forth four two, five, three three three games, which if you're even a casual soccer fan, you're stoked on because there's actual, tangibly cool stuff happening on the field.
Speaker 1: It was as entertaining of a group that potentially I've ever seen.
Speaker 2: Here from an attacking standpoint, yeah, yeah, And there will always be a what might have been type of deal? My bad, there will always be a what type of like what could have been? But Andres had to be sold because you have to pocket that money. That is an insane amount of money. It's a club record, it's one of the highest fees in the history of the league. And I don't think they I don't think they've missed the mark with some of these investments. It's just it's always hard to come into this league in the middle of the season as an international player and hit the ground running. Look at Diego Gonzalveez, like, this is a dude who basically owned Manchester United in a Champions League game, and he's having trouble finding his spot in the starting eleven. It's not because he's not a good player or the wrong player. It's just that Pablo has to figure out who his best attacking group is right now, and currently it's Diogo coming off the bench, it's Matt Crooks in that attacking spot. It's Dominic mark Zuk, who's been very good I think since coming over. So a very long winded way of saying, if they can achieve the points record from a club standpoint, it's a huge accomplishment. But it's just a very odd season that we'll look back on for a multitude of reasons, and it's not a bad thing. It's just something that this club has never really had to go through before.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, and you did a good job of unpacking it because ultimately it might be the right thing. But I did feel like there was a chance, and I asked Kurt this, I asked Jason this, and I asked Pablo this. I felt like there was a chance that even though to your point, you can't turn down that transfer fee, they were trading the potential for something cool now for the long game down the road, which again might be the right thing. But in retrospect, did they do that or do we still have to wait and see?
Speaker 2: I think we still have to wait and see again, Like if Andris is here, if Carlos is here, Carlos Andres Gomss is still here. Excuse me, are they still winning five three games? Because if you are, that's not sustainable in the playoffs. Good point, like we've seen when Ursel has had runs under Pablo. They're literally winning games where they haven't registered a shot on goal, or if they've gone on the road and the only two shots on goal that they've registered that those were two goals, like against Kansas City a couple of years ago. Like things tighten up in the postseason.
Speaker 3: So.
Speaker 2: You you you roll the dice. So to speak in selling andris. But there's just no way you could have turned that down because the whole point for some clubs in this league is to do what ourselves doing.
Speaker 1: That's just it.
Speaker 2: Correct. Yeah, and but in I think in oursl's mind, I think ideally you're talking about homegrown players who are able to fetch that kind of cash eventually. And they've had some players here and there be you know, moved on. Unfortunately not for any sums of money. Guys that left early. Uh, you know, Ricardo Ledesma comes to Richie Ledesma comes to mind. He's in Holland and has been a very good player over there, Sebastian Soto. But yeah, RSL is a club that is towing the fine line of competing for a MLS Cup championship while also developing to sell on.
Speaker 1: So as we approach Saturday, there's some interesting stories to dig into, and you alluded to this. It appears that Zach has his job back. Pablo yesterday said they're going game by game, but Zach has had way too many gaffes that are so elementary and punitive that I'm sure there's a permeating nervousness in the fan base if it's Zach, but he does have this ability to be a little bit more front facing with his communication than Gavin does at eighteen what do you do back there? And look, I want to be clear, I always want to be fair to keepers. It's never all.
Speaker 2: All the work. Listen, man, I play keeper and indoors sometimes and it is the worst. Yeah, yeah, yeah, it is the absolute worst because you see every breakdown in front of you right right. And yes, there have been some, as you mentioned, elementary mistakes by both of those players, but it is it is an unforgiving position like it is not. It can be fun, but it is not fun.
Speaker 1: So how much of the late game conceding of goals and therefore losing of points is on the keeper situation and how much of it is on the groove?
Speaker 2: I mean, that's a good question. I think, like, if you're looking at some of these goals that RSL has been giving up late in games when they've seen leads disappear, a lot of it is just guys tuning out for a split second, guys losing their marks. A lot of it is newer players being thrust into, you know, spots on the back line that you know you're you're learning on the fly how to communicate with players that you might only have known for the last two or three weeks or the last two or three months. That stuff takes time. I mean again, like, I know, it's going to always be unfair to compare eras, But the reason why you know RSL was once impossible to score on was because they had basically the same five guys on that back line for like four straight years. It wasn't just Nick, which is insane if you think about like that just doesn't really happen, and he throw Kyle in the mix as well as the defensive midfielder, it just doesn't happen. So if you're talking about who's at fault for a lot of these costly late goals and these leads being conceded, I think it's everybody. And it's really odd because if you think about Pablo, like, I know, he's a vibes guy, but he's a I mean, he's a defensive minded player.
Speaker 1: That's what he did, Yeah.
Speaker 2: That's that's how he basically cut his teeth in the sport when he was a player. So I'm fascinated to see how they look in the playoffs because if they keep these kinds of like mental errors and lapses of mental judgment going, they're going to be a quick out no matter who they play.
Speaker 1: So who do you think should be between the pipes?
Speaker 2: I probably go with Zach. It's it kind of goes against everything that I stand for because you know, you know, I'm all about, like, you know, playing the right goalkeeper in Major League socer. I mean, Gavin, Gavin Beavers is really well regarded in the youth national CURIYSM, So I would assume that it will be Zach. But I think this has to be the last year, like if you're going to keep if Gavin is going to be your guy for the future and a guy that you can see potentially, you know, establishing himself well enough that he could maybe be moved on overseas. He's got to have more games. He just has to.
Speaker 1: Zach mcmathe cam rising of RSL.
Speaker 5: We'll get to that in a little bit too early of a transition. We'll get to that a little bit.
Speaker 1: All right, let's let's have a little fun here. Okay, So Pablo yesterday because I asked him, Okay, you've been on a break and you know the schedule has been a little bit chaotic. So we've seen a lot of Saturday, Wednesday, Saturday, and therefore Diego will sit on Wednesday, and then Chico will sit on Saturday, et cetera, et cetera. He said on Saturday he's going to march out the closest thing to a first choice eleven to prepare for the playoffs now that he's had a little bit of a break.
Speaker 2: Fascinating Vera.
Speaker 1: My goodness, come on, dude, like.
Speaker 2: Second year in a row.
Speaker 1: I know it's such a horrible look, asked Pablo about it yesterday. But varis out on Saturday and he misses a playoff match.
Speaker 2: So tell me, because I'm a terrible follower of the sport. Are we still in a best of three in the first round or is it a one off.
Speaker 1: Best of three? Okay, I'm pretty sure. I'm pretty sure it's best of three.
Speaker 2: We need a fact We're gonna a fact check her back there, porter.
Speaker 1: Order is our ESPN stats in the FO department. Here's the thing, the Mickey Mouse League changes.
Speaker 2: That's what I'm saying. Yeah, that's what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: I believe it's best of three.
Speaker 2: If you if I hate that I think it's so silly.
Speaker 1: Trey's gonna call in eight seven seven three five three zero seven hundred at any moment. I'm pretty sure it's best of three. But do you think you can guess what the eleven will be on Saturday if we go?
Speaker 2: I think if you're asking me, or if I'm asking you to read Pablo's mind.
Speaker 1: Important line of delineation. You are trying to read Pablo's mind about what the eleven will look like on Saturday. If this is as close to a first choice as we're going to.
Speaker 2: See, I'll go Zach and gool U katrona set left back Justin because they have no death right now, I'm guessing Philip Quinton next to Justin, and then Andrew Brodie it right back midfield obviously a Mecca hada. So this is where it gets tricky. I'm reading, I'm reading Pablo's mind. I'm going to go Luna, Crooks, Mark Zuke. I know this is hard.
Speaker 5: Either Diogo or Chiacho. I know, no, it's Anderson or Chico right at the top, run me through your midfield the end.
Speaker 2: So I'm going I'm going at the holding spots and then the three in front of them, I'm going Luna Crooks, Mark Zuke.
Speaker 1: So Crooks instead of Diogo gotcha okay.
Speaker 2: And then I'm gonna go cheat Cho. But it but it's close. They've looked better, and I'm not saying it's the I'm not saying it's right or wrong. I'm just saying they know they just have looked better with Anderson.
Speaker 1: Julio For the past seven months.
Speaker 2: How have they not? Chicho hasn't scored.
Speaker 1: And how long July seventeen, he's.
Speaker 2: One goal away from breaking Savo's record for how long? Four months?
Speaker 1: Do you think there's any shot that.
Speaker 2: Oh, there's a chance he doesn't break it?
Speaker 1: Do you think that Pablo sits Chicho on Saturday?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Wow, breaking news.
Speaker 2: If you're talking about if we're going off of our guy, who is who is a Vibes guy.
Speaker 1: He is a Vibes guy. But results have come this year too.
Speaker 2: Results have come. But I'm just saying, it's kind of what have you done for me lately? And the last couple of games. It is so obvious that Chiecho is so in his head that I don't know, I honestly don't know who gives you the best chance to win, right? Now are you. Are you going with your superstar striker who is terribly out of farm.
Speaker 1: Coach win on me best chance to win.
Speaker 2: I'm just saying, I don't think you're you're asking me to read Pablo's mind. If it's me. If it's me, I'm going pure FIFA. Give me the highest overall rated players and then let me hit turbo and see what happens.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Okay, we're on the same page then, because that's what I would do. And you, okay, do you do you think because I can remember I had you on. I think it was just a couple of days after the suspension was announced, and I remember when I got the alert that this was the deal.
Speaker 2: And I.
Speaker 1: You see things like that derail seasons all the time in any sport. You think there's still something there with him, probably because he has just not well.
Speaker 2: And then he got injured right as soon as he came out.
Speaker 1: True, but there was a stretch Chris where if he only scored one goal, You're like, what's up with the dude, And now he hasn't scored since me.
Speaker 2: He had some he had some telepathic stuff going on with Gomez where they were just always always on the same page. I mean, I think him moving really really hurt Chi. Cho's just connectivity, like I would have to ask Trey, But I wonder of those seventeen goals, how many were direct assists from from andras.
Speaker 1: Let's go to our ESPN Stats and Information department for an update on the first round of the MLS playoff format.
Speaker 4: Yes, so first round, of course is as as it was last year. Round one, best of three. Of course, RSL misses the wild card, so that's well where they'll start.
Speaker 1: All right, So best of three and home field advantage, home pitch advantage as it were. I believe that's on the line. Because you know what's interesting, Chris. On Saturday, we have RSL taking on Vancouver and then we have Seattle taking on Portland. RSL and Sattle.
Speaker 2: It's a derby.
Speaker 1: It is RSL and Seattle are still in the mix for three, and Vancouver and Portland are trying to avoid the wildcard, which is a one match elimination, and those games they first kick is at the same time.
Speaker 2: Listen, man, I think if you're RSL, honestly, you want to avoid Houston at all costs. They just have their number. I don't I think there's I don't know what it is tacked, you know, from a tactical standpoint or whatever. But you've seen different pieces come and go, but here or there, Ben Olsen's group has had the best of Pablo side. So it looks like it's going to be Houston. Right Like, if we're looking at the standing, if.
Speaker 1: It started today five, if RSL wins and Seattle loses, RSL will move up to third.
Speaker 2: Where's that Seattle game?
Speaker 1: Seattle that is in Portland, So oursel's at home, Seattle's in Portland. And if RSL moves up to third, they could see, as JP would say, the crappits, they hated crappits.
Speaker 2: I mean that would be that would be good. Yeah, that would be good.
Speaker 1: That looks like it's either gonna be Houston or Colorado.
Speaker 2: I mean Colorado has been much improved. But yeah, I I it would be a a monkey off their back, so to speak, if they could draw Houston and eliminate them.
Speaker 1: For sure.
Speaker 2: It just has looked real bad the last couple of seasons.
Speaker 1: All right, before we break and we'll do a segment on Utah football, b YU football college football coming up next. HEK has been in the lab. We have now a very decent sample size of well Linel Messi looks like in MLS and Miami potentially, well, they're going to win the Supporter Shield. They're three points and they're also three points away from setting an MLS single season record. How much of it is messy? How much of it is the embarrassment of riches and can anybody beat them in the playoffs?
Speaker 2: A lot, a lot, and yes, a lot of it is messy.
Speaker 1: A lot of it is messy.
Speaker 2: A lot of it is the insane amount of talent that they've added, albeit aging talent, and this is going to mait their last stop. It's MLS. But listen, man, like you're talking about putting together like thirty percent of arguably the best club team ever. Maybe it's a decade later, but you're still talking about or sorry, yeah I'm missing one Lionel Messi, Luis Suarez, Sergio Busquetz.
Speaker 1: And Georgia Albo.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like that is insane, it is, I'm sorry. And the fact that they've all managed to stay healthy for the most part outside of Messi than when he got hurt in Copa America. Like this, that team has been as good if not better without him as they have been with him. But like in MLS, yes, can they be beat? Yes, of course they can be beat.
Speaker 1: It's MLS who last thing, who lives in their cul de sac. I mean I don't watch enough. I only watch RSL and then I'll check you if Miami's on, And of course you want to see what that looks like.
Speaker 2: Columbus.
Speaker 1: Columbus is in their stratosphere. Anyone out west I would be.
Speaker 2: I mean LA Galaxy have been really good, like they finally ditch the superstar chasing mode. They do have Marco Royce who just came up. But LAFC. Yeah, I think if you're talking about the two best teams in the league, it's Columbus in Miami.
Speaker 1: Easy. Interesting, well, fall soccer is a lot of fun. Want to mind you guys. Coming up tomorrow, we have a special events at Overtime Cards and Collectibles Got to be live at their new location in Sandy Logan. Cooley will be there the center for the Utah Hockey Club signing autographs. You can buy tickets for the signing at Overtimecards and Collectibles dot com. It goes from five to seven tomorrow, so the format is this. I am live at the Snowmobile Xpo. After my show, I am going to run over not literally to Overtime Cards and Collectibles. Scott Mitchell will be there. Scott and I are going to do a couple of radio hits and then we're going to interview Logan Cooley on air. So we'll be there up until seven o'clock. Come on buy and say hello to Scott and Logan and check out their trading cards of all your favorite athletes. You can check them out online at Overtimecards Andcollectibles dot com where you can buy and trade more with c K. Coming up next right here on ESPN seven hundred, Clueless, the Alicia Silverstone movie. I'm getting clueless vibes with the no Doubt I'm just a girl.
Speaker 2: No great song.
Speaker 1: It's a good shout out, King, it's a good shout out to Gen X, my generation, the generation that.
Speaker 2: You the best generation?
Speaker 1: You really should you fit the description you. You are a millennial trapped in a Gen x ER's body.
Speaker 2: I believe that wholeheartedly, and I'm sad that I am part of what I can argue is not the best generation. But hey, we move forward.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and nobody wants my take gone it. It's well documented.
Speaker 2: They just gen X sounds cooler. It's like if you when you say millennial does not sound cool, well and gen Z sounds cooler. It is cooler, yes, millennials. Yeah, and we don't have to you know what, I'm not going to do that thing today. There's a certain age right now that I'm having a tough time with in life.
Speaker 1: But I think it's just going to move on from all of that, all right, Chris? Since you and I last spoke, uh, the news became official that Cameron Rising is done for the year. Yeah, second straight season. You had very unique access to Cam and his family for the piece you wrote that I've sent people to over and over and over. There is still this faction of our community that, you know, he's a sandbagger, he got paid, he should be playing. I don't know how much attention I want to give that faction of our community, but they do exist, and the money thing does.
Speaker 2: Can the players see it, which is unfortunately.
Speaker 1: Yes, no, No. I've been talking about that. Every time I hear a coach say, well, I'm not on social media, I say, well, guess what your players are, right, So let's just big picture where you are with this entire thing, second year in a row.
Speaker 2: Brutal development. I can't remember the last time a local player had as many high highs and low you know, personal lows from an injury standpoint, like we don't. I guess Taysom is like would be a close like analogy, but Tasom never led them to COMPU championships. Yeah yeah, but you're not wrong, but like I'm just yeah, it's unfortunate. I mean, he shouldn't have been out there, like clearly it did not look right, and we can relitigate that till the cows come home. But he's done for the year. And my assumptions would be that the two sides, you know, hug each other, give each other thanks and say we did a lot of cool stuff, but it's time to part ways. That is just an assumption on my part, and I think that would be best for both parties involved.
Speaker 1: I agree with you there, and that obviously has been a topic on the show. Eric Weddle was on on Monday and I asked him straight up his thoughts on cam coming back for an eighth year, and you can go listen to it. I don't want to speak for him. He wasn't taking a shot at Cam. He echoed what you just said. Probably best for everybody to kind of go their separate ways. I do have to say I wouldn't blame Cam if he did it, Like, if the nil money is still there, he's not I agree with that. So but if it's even there for a couple hundred grand, come, you know, be on the sideline and help Isaac Wilson as a quasi backup. I don't know. I'm just thinking out loud because what's Cam going to do next year if he doesn't play football? Gordon joined us earlier. He made a good point, like he's got a good community if he's got an agent and he's made a little money. A lot of these guys, like X BYU players latch onto the bro companies down south to make a lot of money. They work down there, and there is a community you have as a collegiate athlete where you're not going to go be the assistant manager at Shields. But what does he do next year if he doesn't play football? Would you blame him if he came back?
Speaker 2: Oh no, I wouldn't blame him if he came back. But I mean he has to make a business decision at this point, Like he's made a lot of money, he's been very successful. Does it make sense for him to if he doesn't come back to Utah, does he want to pursue going somewhere else? And what does that market look like? I mean, because at this point, I don't we don't know what the severity of the injury is and how long he's going to be out. Now, Like when Kyle says he's out for the rest of the year, we're talking six games, which is basically two months, So I would assume it's nothing serious. We haven't heard otherwise. But Cam has made it very clear to me. His folks have made it very clear to me that you know, he wants to give the NFL a shot. And like, I'm not comparing the two before people before the two people watching on YouTube go nuts five. Who would have thought that Taysom Hill would become a very good NFL player? Totally different skill set. I get it, But I'm just saying, like you're talking about a guy who had like the same awful injury three years in a row, and all of a sudden became like a very reliable, unique Swiss Army knife healthy player in the NFL. So Cam ran into about of really crappy luck man, like that is the bottom line, Like you can't really turn it or twist it any other way. The knee injury was lingering two years ago. You know, he heard it in that crazy USC game and it prolonged and eventually exploded. That's a that's a very big, unfortunate reality. The hand thing you never see happen, especially to your throwing hand, you know, being shoved into a gatorade station and got rolled up on it is what it is again, Like, I don't want to be that guy who sounds like a broken record. Can't be mad at football player for getting hurt.
Speaker 1: Let me follow up and I'll just ask you straight up, outside of what you just said, what's your reaction to the portion of the community that I perceive to be real Because it's not just cowards that want to be brave online. I've hurt real people who I know say out loud that they're out on camp, like just out on them, just over it.
Speaker 2: To that, I would say the term fan is short for fanatic, and that is a very fanatic approach to an existence that people have poured a lot of energy and time and money into But I'll tell you one thing. In this day and age, people can pay attention to how fan bases treat their players. And if you're talking about a place that has historically struggled to recruit and retain quarterbacks, if you're having their fan base turn on one of the best to ever do, it not a great look. That's just the reality. It's not a great look.
Speaker 1: They did lose a big time commit today as well, a defensive lineman from Spanish Fork decommitted. He was one of the best players they had in the class coming up. I'm not drawing a straight line, but you're not wrong. Let me ask you this, is there any part of the entire dynamic that it's fair to be frustrated with?
Speaker 2: You can be well, if you're asking me, my opinion is you can be frustrated with the way Utah handled the injury quote unquote reports the situation mainly last year. I think this year people understood saw the writing on the wall, realized kind of what was taking place. But again, Kyle doesn't care. He doesn't you're talking about like I mean, is Kyle the most powerful like non politician in this state probably honestly, Like he's a guy that could walk into most house and everybody would just be like, here, let me make something for you, please.
Speaker 1: My guy Ryan might have a little power these days.
Speaker 2: Okay, I guess, like, yeah, I guess I'm saying like a player athlete from a player coach athlete point of view, But yeah, they fans can be frustrated with that. I do think we had an unfortunate bubbling to the surface of people believing that this team was going to go undefeated in the Big Twelve and that they were better than everybody else and kind of drinking the kool aid, which is an overuseed cliche. But this team has a lot of flaws and they have a lot of injuries. But you know, teams also have other injuries across the country. Other teams have injuries across the country. They just have better depth. And that's just the reality. We've talked about this ad nauseum.
Speaker 1: Nick Saban feeded teams. Two of his national championship teams went undefeated in his entire run, Like even the best, it doesn't happen very often. I don't think I ever thought they were in that stratosphere potentially running the table. But I did think they'd have something to say about the Big twelve championship. Oh yeah, every day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if Cam stays healthy. Listen, Cam looked like his old self the first game and a half until he got hurt again, two different injuries. I'm sorry it happens, but eventually you got to turn the page. It is a cutthroat, unforgiving business for a player in college football. You can be a superstar, millionaire nil quarterback one day and then you get hurt, and then you have to figure out what's next. Unfortunately, for Cam that's where he's.
Speaker 1: At and it is time to turn the page. So let's let's talk ball.
Speaker 2: Okay. I came prepared, Listen, I know I'm prepared. Okay, where do you want to start offense or defense?
Speaker 1: I want to start with the dynamic on Saturday night where TCU is not great against the run. Okay, there, I think one hundred and sixteenth in the country the run, and you can't put everything on the shoulders of your freshman quarterback. I think we see Andy Ludwig and this entire approach go old school entirely. You got to start winning the line of scrimmage again, You've got to be better against the run. And I think we're gonna see a healthy dose in Mackai Bernard and I think they're gonna do everything they can to surround Isaac with healthy needs instead of making him be cammed from two years ago. I feel like this is a game that they can get because TCU doesn't stop the run. I think we're gonna see a healthy dose of the Utah run game.
Speaker 2: Okay, stats, bring it came, came prepared.
Speaker 1: I know you did.
Speaker 2: Total offense right now in the country fifty eighth. This is Utah Utah rushing offense fifty sixth, which is lower than I thought because McKay has been good. Yeah, but he's really been the only like there isn't.
Speaker 1: Really he's a best player on the team. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Passing offense sixty sixth, only ten spots behind the rushing running defense, First downs tied for seventy seconds, scoring offense eighty four, red zone offense eighty ninth. And this is the craziest part to me. Time of possession second in the country. So Utah has the second best time of possession in the country, but they have not been able to cash in no matter who's at quarterback. That is a huge problem considering the weapons that they have. And I understand fans have been frustrated with the offensive play calls and the schemes and whatnot. And there have been some very head scratching calls, you know, second and ten wildcat to brand Keithy, where you obviously know what's going to happen. That kind of stuff in the red zone. It doesn't work. But Andy and his staff have to figure out a way to Taylor an offense that fits who they have. And right now, they have Mackay Bernard, they have Dorian Singer, Bran Keithy's looked okay, and they, to your point, they have to make Isaac Wilson look comfortable because I think if you're talking about that Arizona, like we talked about it, if you kick field goals there and don't go for it twice on fourth and goal, you probably have a little bit of confidence. If you're Isaac, like you're bummed that you didn't get into the end zone, but shoot, it's still six zero or seven to six. That matters for young players. And like Andy, this isn't Andy's first rodeo. He's done it a bunch of schools. He's done it here with a bunch of different quarterbacks. But it is odd considering the personnel that they have at their disposal. I mean, most of the injuries have come on the defensive side of the ball. Outside of camp, right, I mean, like yeah, I mean they're they're wide receivers of stayed healthy, brand has stayed healthy. Everybody's obsessed with the amount of tight ends that they have, Like you know, you know, Cale Blowner had a good game against somebody a few weeks ago. Red zone threat, red zone threat, six to seven, throw it up. But I don't want to say it's all on the offense, man, it's because the entire team. Listen, Utah has not looked good and game this year. They have not looked good in one game. We're six games in and I was looking at this up the other day. When was the last time Utah beat a good team? In your mind?
Speaker 1: Off the top, I'll go USC a year ago, who was not a great team.
Speaker 2: Two years ago, SC that's the twelve champion.
Speaker 1: That's the last time they beat a good team. Yep.
Speaker 2: And the only other time they beat a good team that year was the previous time they'd beat USC in the crazy Cam game here and Dalton kincaide game. Utah has not played well like and I understand. Listen, the injuries to the most important position on the field will derail lots of people, of course, but this team has failed to meet expectations that I think a lot of people have, unfortunately and unfairly to them, blowed it up in recent years.
Speaker 1: Did you think Saturday Night is something that will manifest itself as a get right type situation If they see it, they get healthy.
Speaker 2: Gotta see it. I'm not going to believe it till I see. I mean, the vibes are not good, man, They do not look good.
Speaker 1: They're not turning the other team over. They lost the turnover battle the past couple of games. Want some stats, bring it, bring it. I will say this before you levy your stats on me. I do think the rushing defense numbers are a little bit cloudy right now because a couple of big runs from the Skataboo kid like fifty eight to forty eight. Look, you can't let that happen, correct, But ultimately I think if they can get Karenne back and Conner back, and I still think defensively, they're going to be fine stopping the run.
Speaker 2: But if you're Utah, if you're Utah, if you are the program that is known locally and nationally to be a quote unquote badass defense every year, are two players really going to make that much of a difference.
Speaker 1: Shouldn't be They shouldn't be exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, rushing defense forty second in the country, which is not where Utah is used to be. And you know, piggybacking off your point against Skataboo, against Arizona, those kids were running like eight or nine yards every single touch.
Speaker 1: Open lanes for sure.
Speaker 2: Turnovers tied for fifty ninth in the country, which is very not not like Utah, And this was the craziest one to meet. Red zone defense tied for ninety six. The opposing team scores on ninety percent of the time they get.
Speaker 1: Into ooh not good, not good, not good.
Speaker 2: So again, like, while people are pissed that Cam got hurt, while they're pissed about the offensive red zone numbers, this is not on one player or one group. The entire team has failed to meet expectations. And that's okay. Yeah, but again, like maybe we were too not locally and nationally. Maybe people were lazy, Maybe people were like up cam Riising's coming back. He hasn't played in a year and a half, but he's going to be the same guy that he was. Brand Keith he hasn't played in two years. Oh, he's going to be the same guy that he was. Kai Bernard out for a year. He's looked good, but like these were huge questions around a team that had a lot of questions going in regardless.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Kyle's built a bit of a benefit of the doubt situation. Absolutely, there's no doubt. It's a good point. A few minutes left before set you loose. The team that is using the Utah ethos to win games is forty miles down south Man because they're turning the other team over. They won the turnover battle every single game. Statistically, their defensive numbers not just better this year, far better. They couldn't get to the quarterback last year. They didn't make very many transfer portal additions. They just relied on continuity and giving Jay Hill another year. And you know, I even heard Jay Hill say four and a score, that's an old John PA's Utah saying like they are using the model the Utah wants to be using, and they're doing it much better than Utah is forty miles to that so south the year.
Speaker 2: How many people on that staff were on Kyle staff at one point.
Speaker 1: Except Papinga Probably I really like you can go down the list.
Speaker 2: But yeah, to your point, they are not losing the turnover battle. They don't have like a standout offensive player.
Speaker 1: They have seventeen different players who've scored touchdowns. Isn't that mind.
Speaker 2: Blowing there you go, I mean they've played like eight running backs. They do have really good receivers. I mean, I'll give that. I mean, like, but they don't have a you know, a McMillan kid. Like they have a bunch of really good receivers. And you know, Jake Reetzlof has made some boneheaded plays in the past, but he looks really good man, like Aaron Roderick knows what he's doing, Like he knew what he was doing here, he knew knows what he's doing down there. But to your point about the defense, like they didn't go out and make wholesale changes. They got really good in the linebacker room, and some of those were portal ads. The Tiger Kid came from Oregon. Jack Kelly came from Weber State. I don't know if Glasker was a transfer or not, but he's a local kid who's been really good. I mean, like, BYU has the best linebacker corp in the Big twelve. It's not even close.
Speaker 1: It's so crazy to say, but you're not wrong.
Speaker 2: So like, to me, the most interesting part of this whole start is if you're comparing, like you can make a comparison almost like Utah fans have been so spoiled with the success of the last twenty years. BYU fans have been spoiled from the previous success of the Lovelle Edwards regime that like, coming into the season, people were saying Kilani was on the hot seat Spence like like that stuff to me is one it's silly because it's BYU. There are only two coaches out there, in my opinion, in the in the NFL and college football realm, who would be considered upgrades to Colonie Sataki.
Speaker 5: Right now, you want to name him Andy Reid Kyle Whittingham.
Speaker 1: Seriously, like people who.
Speaker 2: Think that like there would there was going to be a better direction for the program to go live in a unfortunate reality and don't understand the the difficulties of recruiting and retaining talent at BYU. So the fact that Kilanie has been able to do this, albeit there have been some some down years, you know last year in the Big twelve or sure one. It's tough, but they weren't their doors blown off them every week like they lost some brutal games. The Okay State game. You know they were talking about this week time. Yea insane like listen BYU fans should be throwing a party every single weekend knowing that they have Kalani Sataki as their head coach because it is probably the most difficult place to recruit and retain players at the P four level in the country.
Speaker 1: I don't disagree with you. Have you ever tried a cougar tail?
Speaker 2: I have not.
Speaker 1: You're kind of anti sugar though it's.
Speaker 2: Not that I'm anti sugar. I just feel like I'm just gonna get a migraine.
Speaker 1: Would you rather have beer or milk poured on you? Oh?
Speaker 2: That's a good question both same time.
Speaker 1: At the same time. If you want to party, all right, let me ask you this. You know you're old enough to know, like Lavelle was like twenty one and two against Utah. Right now, there's a generation under Kyle of Utah football dominance over BYU. It's a full generation.
Speaker 2: I'm talking about like your son's age, where they like just showed up and they're like, oh, we're gonna win.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, exactly. Yeah. And when I was growing up, he was the exact opposite. If the games were close, it was a miracle. Utah very rarely won those games. And for you fans of a certain age, namely mine and maybe a little bit older, there's kind of this permeating nervousness that the pendulum is shaking beneath their feet. Yeah, because look, if you were a diehard youth fan, the Lavelle years were painful. You never won, you never had a chance. Oftentimes you were insignificant. And then Ronnie Mack takes over and evens the playing field a bit. And then since Urban and Kyle, it's been all Utah. Do you think we're seeing the beginning of a moment. I don't want to be hyperbolic or a prisoner of the moment, but could this be the start of the next BYU generation?
Speaker 2: I would have to see BYU put together a few really good seasons in a row. I mean, I think like Colonne and his staff have had a couple of good seasons and then a bad season, A couple of good seasons and then a bad season. We'll see how this finishes, and we'll see how they look next year. You're talking about a lot of mitigating factors involved in this, too, like the fact that BYU went independent and basically could not recruit to the same level as their art rival. You're talking about moving from one head coach that wasn't very widely liked in Bronco Mendenhall to a guy that has very widely liked in Kaloni Saitaki. And you're talking about the ultimate equalizer. Was the guy who's coaching Utah used to play at BYU played for a little Bell said no, it was Alma mater and really likes beating them. So like Utah going to the PAC twelve and BYU going independent, I mean this that topic has been you know, relitigated ad nauseum for decades on local radio. But I'll have to see BYU string together a couple good seasons in a row and simultaneously see if Utah doesn't fall off the map. But if they're going seven and five, six and six, the way they were early on in the PAC twelve, then we can have that conversation.
Speaker 1: Coach Wit retires, Kilani has a rough couple of years. Uh, no, excuse me, Morgan has a rough couple of years. Utah hires Kilani, and by U talks coach Wit out of retirement. See what I did. That's called sports radio black magic right there.
Speaker 2: I mean that my wife like teases men in general by saying, like, you can't be mad at people for liking reality TV because sports is the ultimate like version of drama and reality TV. With the fact that you're that's even thrown out there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, without the negative influences.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, there's no negative influences in sports.
Speaker 1: There's a few, but it's not permeating throughout society and culture. No. I've always said, and you know, like old school WWE wrestling, that is the soap operas for men. Oh absolutely, did you watch the Vincement mcmandals even started it.
Speaker 2: I need to.
Speaker 1: It's pretty compelling. That's one thing I can actually tell you they did. Okay, that's one thing I can tell you to watch that you haven't watched yet.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, that's that's good. I want I want to watch it because I'm sure they went to Stone Ranch.
Speaker 1: They did, they did. It's right. What else you got for me as far as what I can watch right now? Nothing?
Speaker 2: Nothing good man. Honestly, we are not watching any new shows.
Speaker 1: Lose Clues and is that still a thing for the kids.
Speaker 2: Lose Clues?
Speaker 1: No, too bad? Yeah, all right man, great to see. Okay, great, Chris Camaraddie. Let's bring in Ryan from the dish pros. Give them a call it eight oh one four to two four dish upgradees, save money, support local. What's going on? Ryan?
Speaker 3: This is the time, guys, lower your bills. And this is what we do, day in day out. I had another customer almost one hundred and fifty dollars a month. Guys, this is that simple call us up. Listen. Your cable company or your other TV provider, or even your fiber company. They don't send you big flashing lot signs that say hey we raised your bill. It just goes up. And a lot of people saw an increase on their fiber bill, they saw an increase on their TV bill. Guys, here's the thing. Call us up. You probably don't know how much you're spending and uh it's really the truth, but you probably know you probably could pay less, and that's the deal. Call us up. Take advantage of the offers. We have fantastic deals with Internet right now with even gift card offers two or n our gift card when you sign up as a new customer. Take advantage of these free money and let us hook you up with fantastic services and the best TV solution out there with the Hopper and we'll get you installed as early as next day. I can still hook you up with the Multi sports pack free for a year, which includes the NFL Red Zone and movie channels, plus we'll throw in dinner at JCW. So call us now. We can have you installed as early as tomorrow, get you set up before the weekend. Four two four Dish eight oh one four two four three four seven four.
Speaker 1: Right there, he is Ryan from the Dish Bros.