Speaker 1: Your summer back, back of the information.
Speaker 2: I love how they just cover everything.
Speaker 1: Fifty five KRC the talk station Ato five and fifty five KRC de Talk Station. Happy Friday, Extra Special, welcome back. It's extra special because we get the return of proudly representing Ohio's second District Congressman David tayl Or. Good to have you back, Dave. That's a giant chunk of land, that second district, and we thank everyone in the second District for putting you in office. It's good to have you back on the morning show.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Brian. It's not about the prettiest part of Ohio. We're glad to represent it.
Speaker 1: I know you're proud of it, and I will get I will let you know. Brig him account from the Hudsonents too, was just in the show for the last hour talking about energy policy and his economic meeting in Europe that he attended. On his way out, he said, oh, David Taylor is going to be on. He's a great guy. I really think the world of him. So if Brigha McCowan likes you, I think that's a rubber stamp of approval.
Speaker 2: I'm glad to hear that. I appreciate that. I'm saying that the hard work they do well.
Speaker 1: You voted in favor of the one, Big Beautiful Bill. I do not like the name of it, but I like a lot about what's in it.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: I'm kind of on the the Thomas Massey Ran Paul side of the equation about the deficit hole we keep digging ourselves in. It looks like there's no end in sight. But despite that, there are some really good things in it. And the Democrats is screaming and yelling, mostly about the cuts to Medicaid, although they seem to want to overlook that this would have been the largest tax increase had it not passed that America has ever seen all these middle class homes. And they keep talking about billionaires getting a tax cut. They never quite mentioned the fact that the middle class also is getting a rather extraordinary tax cut considering the income brackets involved.
Speaker 2: No doubt, Brian, the actually middle and lower income folks we are going to see the bigger percentage of tax break from the Big Beautiful Bill. There really are no cuts to Medicaid. You know, we got through quite a bit of debate. You're probably followed some of that in our sort of all night session, and I listened to what I didn't. I might have lost count at some point, but I believe it was about one hundred and five Democrats stand up in demand that there be no cuts whatsoever, no no looking whatsoever at Medicaid or SNAP for any kind of fraud, waste abuse. They wanted illegals to continue to benefit from it. They wanted absolutely nothing done to stop the massive overspent on those those two programs, two vital programs that you know are not sustainable if we don't look at how the money is spent. So they lined up and all made the exact same motion, saying, we demand illegals on these programs, We demand other frausters to continue to get their money, and we demand that the the bureaucracy itself continued to be wasteful. So it was something to see.
Speaker 1: It really is and was, And you know, one one must look to the original purpose of Medicaid, which to help those on life's margins, get them through the bad phase of their life they're going in so that they can then free themselves with the build court of government and hopefully go on and get a job. But by expanding Medicaid ranks which is what Obamacare, what they did during the Obama administration, and offering these welfare benefits to able bodied people who should be in the workforce. I think it's revealing of the ultimate subterfuge that's going on here, which is their ultimate goal, the Democrats goal to really turn Medicaid into what they wanted, which was national healthcare coverage for all. They wanted to put everyone on Medicaid at some point.
Speaker 2: Right And you know another thing, it's kind of cynical in my mind that the CBO says that millions of people are going to lose their Medicaid coverage because the work requirements come in. The idea that these people might instead comply with the work requirements, which factually are not work requirements to begin with, doesn't cross their mind. Like these work requirements come in, which we have in basically every other federal safety net program. These come in, and their their presumption is that they're just gonna refuse to meet these requirements, which include you you can you can volunteer, you can get word training for the terrible cost of twenty hours a week, which most Americans don't even consider a full time job. You can volunteer at your own child's school twenty hours a week and meet this requirement.
Speaker 1: And continue to get to online, right, and continue to get the benefits. I mean, you're not losing your coverage. You just need to get off your butt for a couple of minutes a week, right, I mean, isn't that what this comes down to.
Speaker 2: Exactly? And you can, Brian, you can literally do it from your butt. You can do it on the computer. That all makes you want. That's an excellent point. And meet the requirements.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh wow, you know. And I it's just well, anyway, they're trying to make a mount of a molehill of a non issue effectively, is what this is. So you know, women with young children and disabled folks and everybody else is going to ttinue to get their medicaid benefits. But there is a heap lot of fraud, waste and abuse, and there are a whole lot of illegal immigrants that sign up for these social welfare safety net programs. But the fundamental point that almost was glossed over in your initial comments, no snowfall of view, is these programs are on a downward slide to becoming bankrupt. I mean, we hear about its social Security all the time, they're going to be taking less money in then they pay out. That is a huge problem for folks who rely on Social Security. Medicare and Medicaid are kind of in the same boat. They're not sustainable in the current trajectory. So history will look back and perhaps say, you know what, the saviors of Medicaid or the Republican Party.
Speaker 2: Right like the people you just talked about in pregnant women, children, seniors, people with disabilities that rely on Medicaid are in the long run going to lose their benefits because we can't do it anymore because it's unsustainable. So if we don't weed out they illegals, the people who are the so called able bodied adults without dependence who just refuse to work. If we don't get these sort of folks that shouldn't be on there to begin with off, these programs will be sustainable for the people who truly need it. And as you said, these programs are supposed to be temporary help to get you back on your feet. As Chairman Thompson says, it is supposed to be a trampoline, not a spider web. When you hit it and it helps you back up, the goal of all these programs has to be to get folks back on their feet well.
Speaker 1: And the other component of this is I would argue that this twenty hour a week, you know a training requirement if you want to call it for some or you know community service requirement if you want to go down that road to fulfill your twenty hours. But in so far as job training is concerned, it couldn't come at a better time. I got Jack Winsor going to join the program at bottom they are. He's the editor in chief over the Hile Press network. Talking about small business owners struggling to fill jobs. I mean, the trades are a wonderful career opportunity. It doesn't take a four year education to get a job in the trades, electric plumbing, HVACM, there's a multitude truction. Demand is high, and you've got a bunch of small businesses clamoring for people willing to work. Boom. The answer to your prayer is, Okay, I got to do some job training. Why not go out there and earn while I learn in the trade profession. Timing's perfect, right, yeah? Oh absolutely. The primary complaint I hear from small business owners throughout the second District is we just can't get anybody to work. Well, you continue to make the finance their lifestyle from their home, then they're not going to work. So changes have to be made. These able bodied folks need to work. They're all going to be happier in the long run because, as you and I know, they don't make the rules. But if you feel like you're contributing something at work, you come home at the end of the day generally are a happier person. You may not all love your job every minute of every day, but at the end of the week you say, you know, I accomplished something this week. Somebody needed me and I was there. That helps people. There's no way around it. All right, we go a couple of minutes left in the segment. Congressman Dave Taylor from the second District, what's beyond the enshrinement of the tax cuts permanent? Which is great hate. I could go on a tear about all the times they do tax policy and it's limited some short period of time or ten years. They kick the can down the road, and they forced another Congress to have to address it. At least this is permanent. If you're gonna want to raise taxes. You're gonna have to run on it, right, I mean, and no one likes to hear about their taxes going up, So good luck with trying to raise taxes down the road. So that kind of bursts the bubble of that possibility. If we get a Democrat Congress, they may try, but I don't think it will be popular with American people. Considering Trump ran on this. I mean, he was elected by a majority of the population, he won the majority of states, he won the electoral college across the board. It was a win, and he did not pull any punches letting the American people know what his agenda would be. This was in there. It's what we wanted.
Speaker 2: Absolutely right. Usually you get these big thousand page bills and there's a bunch of so called pork in there. Every every aspect of the big beautiful bill is a campaign promise President Trump made. It's the agenda that people voted for in November is being implemented. It's you know, it's being codified. And as you said, you're the tax policy is vital. And the fact that these tax changes are not sunset, not sunsetting. It was part of the negotiation process. So the doubling of the tax child tax credit, doubling of the standard deduction, the twenty percent deduction for small businesses, the death tax tax exemption is doubled and made permanent. It goes on and on, and it's going to be to the extreme benefit of you know, main street America. So no bill is perfect, but it's a darn good.
Speaker 1: One, and you know, don't throw out the good for the sake of the perfect. I understand that argument. Of course, it's been made over again and the lead up to it, because there was some concern whether you know, the likes of Thomas Massey and others wouldn't get the perfection they were looking for. But I understand their principal point. Let's continue with Congressman Dave Taylor after take quick Breakcare mentioned plump type plumbing because you deserve better. Plum type plumbing delivers on better, better customer service, better prices. They don't charge the service fee, they don't charge for an estimate, the aplus and the better business bureau. Some pump issues have experienced a heavy rain of light. Now there's a problem they can easily fix for you. Slower clog drains. Of course, Number one installer on the tri State. For tankless water heaters, you can save money, have unlimited hot water, save a huge amount of space by going with tankless, which actually lasts longer than the traditional tank units by about five or more years. It's great for growing families, folks who regularly run out of water, that kind of thing, because you do get that unlimited hot water. They also offer trenchless sewer line repair, no digging up your yard. Call the professionals a plumbing done right. It's plumbing done right and they live by that motto. Five one three seven two seven tite five one three seven to two of an eighty four eighty three Online you find them at plumtight dot com fifty five krc OHC. Still, what else is in that that you are particularly fond of or proud of, Dave Taylor? Beyond the tax cuts which I think you and I chategory across the border great for everybody.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the very important for our district was the community in rural hospital funding. I think everybody that you looked into it much knows that the provider tax structure we use now to fund it, it's sort of sort of an inherently unfair to the taxpayer system. On the other hand, community hospitals have to can you continue to be funded fully? And you know, we have great community hospitals in the Second District. We just need more of them, so funding has to continue. So my hat's off to the Senate for the changes they made to how community hospitals are funded. We're in close contact with Senator Houston and Senator Marino and the community hospital leaders from from the Second District and around the state. Before the big beautiful bill got across the finish line. They came up with a great solution. The community hospitals are very pleased with it. And for those of you they have Ohioans and think, oh, we have two brand new senators, maybe we're not getting the best bang for a buck in the Senate. I promise those two guys are kicking the same thing we were talking about sitting on earlier. They're doing a great job over there in the Senate for Ohio in all kinds of ways. So very proud to get to work with those guys. Well.
Speaker 1: In terms of energy policy, I understand it's a large expansion of domestic oil and gas production capacity. I know it comes at a kind of an odd time globally with OPEC increasing output, and I think it's done with a specific design to keep us from opening more wells. But we'll deal with the consequences of that as we move forward. But also, and this is something I talked with Brigham the gown about, with energy policy, an opportunity to start building more nuclear power plants, which I think are the ultimate key and answer to our energy production issues here in America.
Speaker 2: I agree, Brandon, you have the the second District is going to have a large part to play with that. As I think we might have talked about last time. We have the only uranium enrichment facility that's American owned in the United States and Pike County. But yeah, I like hearing all forms of energy talked about. I'm for You're even people are even talking about coal that the President's talking about the coal again. But I do believe nuclear is the future, and you know that's it's gonna it could very well be the epicenter of it right here in southern Ohio. Uh, there are small modular nuclear reactorc companies who are eyeing the site and uh, we're hoping for big things out of there. You know, it's obviously, it's clean, it's abund and it's cheap. It's it's a solution to every aspect of the the energy concerns, whether it does be environmental or supply and uh, it's a road. We have to travel in it safely, responsibly and soon, all right.
Speaker 1: And one of the criticisms from many, I think think I will throw myself into the hat along that. Not that I'm against funding the military, but when you have an American military and a budget that they cannot even pass an audit five times in a row, I call that a giant red flag, most notably on the heels of what DOGE was able to figure out with even just one department of government that's usaid. No one is ever going to be able to convince me there isn't massive amounts of fraud, waste, and abuse in American military, which has now has a budget of a trillion dollars. Is there any hope that I'm going to have my prayers answered that will unleash DOGE or some other entity like an Inspector General on the military spending budget to fire it out the fraud, waste, abuse. So maybe we don't have to spend that much mundy annually to keep our military ready and armed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the brand, I think you're even being extra kind. I think it's eight audits able to meet their number. So either way, one is too many. And the Big Beautiful Bill does have one hundred fifty billion dollars for modernization of our military, which is vill you're getting out built in navy vessels by China at an alarming rate and at a current we don't even have the capacity to build at the rate their buildings. Right, money has to be spent, but it has to be spent wisely. And I think you know that the dose activity is going to continue even without Elon Musk And obviously the Department of Defense is how long have we heard the joke about the five hundred dollars toilet seed? Yeah, so it just you know, chugs on and on. So it has to be looked into our dollars. We worked hard for them, and we're happy to spend them to protect our country. But that's what they need to be spent on, not on a bloated waste. All right.
Speaker 1: And finally, before we heard of our company, Congressman Taylor, we got money to secure border. Lots more ice officers money, more border patrol agents, all of which are apparently doing a very effective job right now. Do you think it's still necessary to build a wall? I mean, considering the last administration and the numbers just flowing over the border, that was because it was facilitated. I mean, we hung a dangling cart of open borders and free benefits and stuff and things. The world showed up at the southern border and in the northern border as well, and we didn't do anything to stop it. As soon as Trump gets elected, it's almost it stopped completely. I mean there were very few interactions, and those who interacted with ICE agents were sent back home so they weren't admitted into the United States. We've almost shut down the illegal flow of immigration. Do we really need the wall if the agents themselves are doing an effective job of stopping the flow of humanity.
Speaker 2: It's a good question, Brian. I think on a cost to effectiveness basis, we should be going forward with the wall, and they are certain parts, so the bigger part of it is not wall. I think there's seven hundred miles left to cover, or seven hundred miles of wall and sixteen hundred total miles left to secure and for the dollars at that cost and effect the effectiveness that it has long term, especially in the event of a we go back to a Democrat controlled Congress and White House where you know, there what seemed to be their primary motivation was to get as many people as possible across the southern border. At least the wall would serve to slow it down in that circumstance. Uh So, yeah, I think, you know, you know, for value for a dollar. Yeah, I'm for the wall, for the for the barricade, because it's going to help our border patrol too. We went down to uh the Gallas crossing point, and I mean that place is immaculate. They were showing us the intake and holding areas and there wasn't the sole in there that when while we were there, we didn't see anybody even attempt to cross. And those guys are happy as they can be, and they're working hard and been you know, allowed to do their job, which is all they ever asked for. So I'm from making their job as easy as possible, for protecting America at the highest level we can for the most reasonable price we can, and I think the wall does that.
Speaker 1: Dave Taylor and thanks to all those in the second district in Ohio for electing Dave. He's doing a great job up there. And keep up the great work, Dave, and we'll continue as we move forward with the Trump administration see if he can't fulfill more of his promises that he ran on. And Dave keep doing the great work, my friend. I'll look forward to having it back in the morning show real soon. Thank you, Brian, my pleasure. Eight twenty six, fifty five KRC The Talk station look Away. Next the return of Jack wins, Or, editor in chief of the Hot Press Network, on overriding Governor de Wines Vetos, what's he got against property tax relief anyway? Plus small business owners in Ohio struggling to fill job Jack wins are on those topics coming up next. I hope you can stick around. This is fifty five KARC and iHeartRadio Station. The Simply Money Minute is sponsored by