Speaker 1: Free speech is officially dead in California, as the state legislature this week passed the Stop Nick Shirley Act and made it a crime for investigative journalists to post video evidence of fraud on the Internet, and they even amended the.
Speaker 2: Bill to target journalists.
Speaker 1: All this went down as a Democratic staffer to a state Assembly member viciously attacked Nick Shirley outside of the Capitol. We've got the video to show you, and we're going to walk through just how bad this bill is. But we also need your help to fight to block this bill. All that and more coming up. But the problem I'm having with this is that this is conduct unbecoming of a representative of the state legislature. This is a government employee paid for by your taxpayer money. I'm Carl Demo, chairman of Reform California and California State legislator, and for months I've been warning about a really bad bill in the State Assembly Assembly, Bill twenty six twenty four from Mia Banta, the wife of California Attorney General Rob Bonta.
Speaker 2: This bill I nicknamed the Stop Nick Shirley Act.
Speaker 1: And the reason why I nicknamed it the Stop Nick Shirley act is that it was inspired by him.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah.
Speaker 1: After Nick Shirley captured video evidence of all sorts of fraud happening by government contractors and grantees in other states and came to California and did the same thing, Mia Banta decided, you know, we don't want these citizen journalists showing up and going into our contractors and our grantees, most of whom are campaign contributors, by the way, or political organizations that helped turn out the Democrat vote. We don't want them showing up and realizing that the contracts in grants were giving them are phony and they were just basically funding politics. So we need to make it illegal to show up and record evidence of fraud. We're going to make it illegal for them to post these videos on the internet to create a public uproar and to shine a light on what is actually happening with taxpayer money.
Speaker 2: That is, in essence, what Assembly Built twenty six twenty four does. Makes it a crime for.
Speaker 1: Anyone to take a video of these contractors getting your taxpayer money, take a video of any activity that they're engaged in in public. Okay, it's not like you're going inside their private home and videotaping them in their shower. No, it's what they're doing in public, whether it's they're running a daycare with no kids, or operating hospices in a building with no patients, or organizing.
Speaker 2: Political rallies with taxpayer money. If you capture any of that on video.
Speaker 1: And post it to the internet, you've broken the law. And that's the requirements the new provisions under AB twenty six twenty four. So I nicknamed it the stop Nick Surely Act. And Democrats are furious because when we are able to brand a bill in the most simple terms and bring public outrage in controversy to a bill that they're trying to ram through the process, they say that we are doing something wrong, that we're not operating with decorum.
Speaker 2: Decorum, are you joking me? So let me walk through two video clips.
Speaker 1: When the Democrats passed the stop Nick Surely Act, first and foremost, they said that my nickname for the bill, the stop Nick Surely Act, was not speaking with decorum, and so while they were standing on the floor saying we're not limiting free speech, they decided to.
Speaker 2: Cut off my microphone.
Speaker 1: I was arguing against the bill, walking through various provisions, making my case as to why they should vote no, why this was a bad bill.
Speaker 2: That's my job.
Speaker 1: I'm the state legislature. I'm elected by five hundred thousand residents. My job is to be their voice. And what the Democrats did on the floor when I rose in opposition to AB twenty six twenty four is they violated my free speech rights, my duty to speak on behalf of my constituents as to why we don't support this bill.
Speaker 2: They cut off my microphone when they did this.
Speaker 1: Democrats did this to a main state representative because the state representative didn't want to use personal pronouns of another legislator that were not biologically correct.
Speaker 2: She sued, and the Supreme Court sided.
Speaker 1: With the Republican legislature legislator and told them, Democrats, you are violating free speech rules. And I'm just going to tell you right now, if they keep this bad behavior up on the floor, I will sue the Democrats supermajority in the state Legislature because I have a job to do.
Speaker 2: I have to be their voice.
Speaker 1: But here's the clip of them cutting me off repeatedly, or or she's misrepresenting.
Speaker 2: Decorum. This bill came about in response me, mister Demyo, you may continue, mister Demio, as I was saying, as nicknamed the Nick Shirley.
Speaker 3: Excuse me, mister Demayo is not nickname that has not been Excuse me, mister Mayo, just wait a moment.
Speaker 2: Thank you as something. Remember Wilson, your point is well taken. We're gonna move on now.
Speaker 1: I got my you know, my my basic message out uh in in my speech, but they still did limit my time and they shut down debate.
Speaker 2: Uh. And that is the violation.
Speaker 1: And these are the same people clutching their pearls saying, Heaven forbid, we're not trying to stop free speech.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: The backers of the bill say that the Stop Nick Shirley Act is designed to stop people from threatening various employees of a government contractor.
Speaker 2: Well, let me share with you the.
Speaker 1: Final version of the bill, and there's an amendment here. They say that section two says that a person who puts a video up with the intent to incite a third person to cause imminent bodily harm or threaten a program participant. That that's what the bill is all about, Section two right here. And they put this language in because that's what they were verbally saying the whole time, and it's good that they put that language in because nobody should be threatened. And by the way, we already have laws on the books in California.
Speaker 2: You don't need AB.
Speaker 1: Twenty six twenty four to stop make sure Lyact to stop people from threatening someone.
Speaker 2: Else with violence.
Speaker 1: They're ample laws to allow people to go and get a restraining order and protect themselves. You don't need this language because it's already in state law. But that's what they amended the bill to say. See, this is what we're talking about. Well, actually not, that's what they're putting in the bill to show the media. Let's look at the actual sanction on a citizen journalist in court. It starts with Section one. A program participant or individual organization in other words, one of these left wing political groups can make a written demand to a person Nick Shirley not to take their video and publicly post or display it or distribute it or disclose.
Speaker 2: It on the Internet. Okay, that is.
Speaker 1: Section one basically says if you have an NGO, a Somali leering center, a daycare center that's not actually providing childcare services, he captures Nick Sualley captures this video. If that participant says, don't post that video, and that's what they all say.
Speaker 2: They say, get out of here.
Speaker 1: You're not allowed to tape record, when in fact, if it's a public space, you're absolutely allowed to tape record.
Speaker 2: That's what citizen journalism is all about. That's what Nick Surley is doing.
Speaker 1: He's showing up at their place of business these tape recording the fact.
Speaker 2: That there are no kids at the daycare.
Speaker 1: If the scammer, the fraudster says, you're not allowed to post that video. You got me dead to rights, dude, But you're not allowed if you post that video, if you blow the whistle, if you show the evidence to the public and create public outcry.
Speaker 2: I'm suing you.
Speaker 1: Item one says not anything about a threat. It's just posting a video with the fraudster saying don't do it.
Speaker 2: Guess what.
Speaker 1: Item four is the sanction a program participant whose personal information or image video is made public as a result of a failure to honor the demand made pursuant to paragraph one. Okay, so paragraph one is this. It's just the fraudster saying don't post it. Has nothing to do with paragraph two the threats. It all relates to the fraudster saying don't post the video.
Speaker 2: Paragraph one, No threats have to be made.
Speaker 1: In order for the citizen journalists to be barred under the Stop Nick Shirley Act from posting a video online. Any individual is authorized to.
Speaker 2: Seek conjuncture and injunctive relief in court against Nick Shirley.
Speaker 1: Or another citizen journalist, and then they are going to be charged all these fees penalties.
Speaker 2: That's the language.
Speaker 1: Okay, this is not a debate about what the bill does. I'm just giving you word for word what it does. It has nothing to do with making threats against people. Again, all of us agree no one should be threatened with physical violence. That's not what section B one and section four of the Stop Nick Shirley Act under Statute six' two one eight.
Speaker 2: Nine that's not what this bill.
Speaker 1: Does it Stops Nick shirley from posting video evidence of, fraud right there in Plain. English now here's the even worst part about. This see this little line here that they struck this. Subdivision you, know penalizing people for posting videos shall not apply to a person or entity defined in section ten to seventy of The Evidence.
Speaker 2: Code what is section ten seventy of The Evidence.
Speaker 1: Code it's something called The California Shield. Act it protects journalists from being hauled into court and ordered to do things like reveal their. Sources by striking this line, out The Stop Nick Shirley act actually got worse in the final moments of passage because now they're saying even journalists are not given the shield against this. Law and The democrats literally made the bill worse against.
Speaker 2: Free speech in the freedom of the. Press this is. Bad. Now as this all went down.
Speaker 1: Outside The, Capitol Nick shirley was trying to interview, people, saying, hey what's your view on The Stop Nick Shirley. Act he was trying to talk to, legislators and A democratic staffer Named Terry schantz who works For democrat extremist Member tina.
Speaker 2: Mckinner, boy she is a looney.
Speaker 1: Tune he came out and Accosted Nick.
Speaker 2: Shirley And i'm just going to play a little sample of the.
Speaker 1: Clip the full harassment Against Nick shirley, was you, know three four minutes. Long, Now Nick sureley is a big, Guy, okay he Can he's got tough, Skin he's not phased by. This but the Problem i'm having with this is that this is conduct unbecoming of a representative of the state. Legislature this is a government employee paid for by your taxpayer, money during the work hours of the, day coming up interrupting another legislator's comments or interview with a, journalist which is never. Done you don't go as a staff, member you don't interrupt a. Legislator the legislator that you're going to see in just a moment Is Joe, patterson great, guy by the, way very common, sense A republican being interviewed on The Nick Shirley. Act this democratic aff for interrupts the, interview starts harassing even the legislator, uh and acts like a complete.
Speaker 2: Moron.
Speaker 1: Uh and this is conduct unbecoming that he should be, reprimanded if not terminated from his.
Speaker 2: Job watch This nick for. You do you think her creating a bill that.
Speaker 1: This Is Joe patterson being interviewed by a journalist right outside.
Speaker 2: The capitol basically?
Speaker 3: Illegal give someone a four thousand dollars fine for looking at immigration supports service?
Speaker 2: Riders do you.
Speaker 3: Guys hear That Nick shirley has a small piece Allegedly.
Speaker 1: Okay so he's saying That Nick shirley has a small anatomical part in the lower, region but a. Child just it's so. Embarrassing come, on your taxpayer money is paying for this.
Speaker 2: Crap that's so adult of.
Speaker 3: You did you hear about this has a Small, WELL i don't.
Speaker 2: KNOW i just this is what they're. Reporting have you seen? This the reports are.
Speaker 3: Reporting, well we don't.
Speaker 2: Know prove me.
Speaker 3: Wrong i'm.
Speaker 2: NOT i don't do that. Wrong it's good to The Charlie. KIRK i don't want to do. That well you.
Speaker 3: CONSENT i mean we are In. California they do SUPPORT i think you're over. Eighteen so there are news reports happening That Nick suirley has a small. Piece do you have any comment On Nick SUIRLEY'S i think allegedly allegedly here.
Speaker 2: It's risky for him to be out. Here he could be banned or. Criminalized you, know actually.
Speaker 3: Having a small, piece is that a? Criminal you're gonna introduce that legislation and. Something, remember, hey look at you to live at fat they even look at, It so you should work on that before you alege somebody else about Your, hey, gentlemen have you guys heard these public Reports nick surely allegedly has a small there's an investigation going. On if you like, there you, go thank you so.
Speaker 2: Much i'm doing just. Fine to see years you have to literally look at a flag of. FAT i don't know what you're talking.
Speaker 3: About, nick you literally have you literally have to go like this at your change look at.
Speaker 1: You, well it's a grown.
Speaker 2: MAN i MEAN i don't have.
Speaker 3: This i'm not the recording on me having a small. Oy.
Speaker 1: Okay so so this altercation occurs outside the. CAPITOL i want to introduce you to another element of attack on free. Speech so, first the bill ITSELF abe twenty six to twenty four is a complete attack on free speech because, well it makes it a crime for a citizen journalist to post video online of.
Speaker 2: Bad activity and let the people decide that is.
Speaker 1: Attacking free. Speech it goes after journalists now by removing the shield law provision from The Evidence code as it relates to enforceability of The Nick Shirly.
Speaker 2: Act so it goes after the freedom of the. Press then they.
Speaker 1: Censor my comments on the, floor not allowing me to speak in opposition to a, bill and they don't like WHAT i have to, say so they're just gonna trump my. Microphone but there's another element of attack on free speech that democrats engage in all the, time and that is what we call The heckler's. Veto Heckler, so when you show up and you don't want someone to, speak so you scream them, down you shout them, down you interrupt, them you interfere with their ability to give their. Comments that, is you, know it's not illegal from the standpoint of you, know someone can show up and yell and, scream but it certainly limits someone else's ability to express themselves and be.
Speaker 2: Heard The heckler's. Veto and by the, way The heckler's veto and.
Speaker 1: Free speech is used to remove people from public hearings when they disrupt the. Hearings so if you go to a city council meeting and people are like acting poorly and they're yelling and screaming and drowning out the council members or drowning out of their public, testimony they can legally be removed from a public hearing that everyone has a right to attend.
Speaker 2: Because, they in essence are infringing on the free speech rights of.
Speaker 1: Others and so when you go out to a street corner and you start screaming and yelling at.
Speaker 2: Someone it's a gray.
Speaker 1: Area BUT i would consider this again not respecting free speech. Rights i've always told my, supporters If democrats want to have a press, conference don't show up and crash. It don't show up and scream and yell in front of. Them let them say their, piece and then you can hold your own press. Conference that's how free speech. Works someone gets to say one, thing another person gets to say another. Thing but not in The Democrat party Of. California these people are. Extremists they do not want you to have freedom of. Speech, AGAIN i can disagree with what someone is going to, say BUT i will defend their right to say. It one last POINT i want to, make and this is for any of My assembly colleagues that might be watching this, video because many of them, do because they complain on the floor ABOUT i saw a podcaster the other day say. This i'm, like, oh she watches my.
Speaker 2: Podcast how INTERESTING i live rent. Free in some of their, minds it's so. Sad BUT i will tell you.
Speaker 1: THIS i do not interrupt my colleagues with parliamentary procedures and motions while they're. SPEAKING i might make emotion after they're done, speaking BECAUSE i find it absolutely abhorrent and, unacceptable unprofessional and in violation of our decorum to interrupt, someone even if you disagree with what they're, saying and even if they're attacking someone. Else you know, what let them say they're a piece and then make your point of order, afterwards because you can make the point that what they said about another colleague was lacking, decorum and then you put, it you, know you, know you put it.
Speaker 2: On record and you admonish the. Person but every member.
Speaker 1: Of the, legislature even IF i disagree with, them they have a right to represent their five hundred thousand.
Speaker 2: Constituents The democrats have the votes in the.
Speaker 1: Legislature now they're trying to deprive us of our voice by stopping us in the middle of our, speeches or by heckling someone on a street corner just trying to do, interviews or even, worse by passing The Stop Nick Shirley Act Ab twenty six twenty four to make it illegal for them to post video content on the. INTERNET i want to let you know real, quick before our time is.
Speaker 2: Up how do we stop To Stop Nick Shirley. Act how do we block.
Speaker 1: It, well now it goes to the governor And newsom has Until october first to sign or veto the.
Speaker 2: Legislation this is so. Repugnant this bill is so. Illegal it's an.
Speaker 1: Unconstitutional bill THAT i Think newsom might not sign it because he's running for.
Speaker 2: President it's.
Speaker 1: Embarrassing so we need to raise the public outcry even higher. Nationally, now we got to spread the word that The Stop Nick Shirley act is On newsom's DESK ab twenty, six twenty four and that we're urging him to veto.
Speaker 2: It we need to make it painful For newsom to even try to sign this. Legislation make it.
Speaker 1: Messy and that's Why i'm urging you like this, video share this video so we can expand the reach of this controversy because people need to know what's been going on and why this is not just About Stop Nick. Shirley this is About democrats do not, do not respect or want to defend your free speech. Rights all their bad behavior on display is quite. Clear there's a pattern of abuse.
Speaker 2: Here but we need to.
Speaker 1: Raise our voices and Pressure newsome to not sign the, bill and, then if, necessary if he signs, It we're going to, court, baby because this is.
Speaker 2: A blatantly unconstitutional. Law it needs to be challenged and.
Speaker 1: Overturned go onto the Website Reform california dot. Org chip in a, contribution sign up as a. Volunteer we have an election coming up and we need.
Speaker 2: Everyone off the couch into the.
Speaker 1: Fight and of, course our Plain english voter guide will be posted to that website On september, one making sure you know all the ballot measures and what they, do all the candidates for Supporting check it Out Reform california dot. Org until next, Time I'm Carl, tomio chairman Of Reform california and A california state. Representative thanks for watching AND i hope you enjoyed this. Episode but before you click, away please subscribe to this channel and click that notification button so you get updated when we post new. Episodes, plus like this video and share it with your friends so that we can help spread our message across the.
Speaker 2: State