Speaker 1: Oh he is, folks, it's show tied.
Speaker 2: People say good money to see this movie.
Speaker 3: When they go out to a theater.
Speaker 4: They want cold sodas, hot popcorn, and no monsters.
Speaker 5: In the Protection Booth, everyone pretend podcasting isn't.
Speaker 4: Boring, got it off?
Speaker 6: Today we begin a new era.
Speaker 7: I have existed from the morning of the world, and I shall exist until the last star falls from the night. Although I have taken the form of gaias Conningular, I am no man, as I.
Speaker 4: Am old man, and therefore I am a god.
Speaker 8: Oh yes, now the fun begins.
Speaker 9: If only all Rome had just watched never.
Speaker 10: Who I am a great season.
Speaker 3: Hello, Welcome to the Projection Booth. I'm your host, Mike, why too, hen me once again as mister Rob Saint Mary.
Speaker 11: Shall I be remembered as Caligula the Dull.
Speaker 3: Also back in the Booth is Miss Heather Drain.
Speaker 12: Hello. Hello.
Speaker 3: On this special episode of the Projection Booth, we are going back to the Well. This may be the first ever time we've discussed a movie for a third time, but much like the Saga of the Magnificent Amberson's or the Other Side of the Wind, we are continuing to document the troubled history of the nineteen eighty film Caligula.
Speaker 13: Caligula isn't just artistically that it's also offensive and it's gratuitous scenes of torture and perversion. This movie makes it real, specially out of castrations, disembowlments, crucifixions and other forms of torture that the camera lingers over and lingers over, and what a piece of trash.
Speaker 3: When we first spoke about this film almost ten years ago, exactly where we were joined by Maitland McDonough to discuss the movie, while Ranjit Sandu gave us the sordid history behind the production and talked about his book Two hundred Degrees of Failure, and filmmaker Alexander Tushinski discussed the career of Tinto Brass and the original intentions Brass had for this finish film. We came back together in twenty eighteen to discuss the recent rediscovery of the original footage of Khaligla and the plans Penthouse and Alexander had to restore the film to Tinto Brass's original version. This is where we left things. I recorded Alexander's interview and then a week later I talked with Kelly and like in the interim is when the bigger news broke about her almost losing the company and then getting the company back, and then the funding it sounds like is going to be there for this restoration of Caligula. And I just want to make sure that folks understand is that this will probably be Alexander at some point taking that workprint that he's talked about, the work print of Caligula where I think he said like eighty nine minutes of it were done, and then kind of using the original elements to recreate that, and then the rest of the film will be done in the style of Tinto Brass unless Brassless notes or Brass himself, who is still a very viable filmmaker, unless that happens, It'll be done in the style of Tinto Brass, and I think that Alexander knows his style well enough to be able to do that. It's kind of like Walter murch coming in and redoing Touch of Evil based upon the memos kind of thing. So I'm very very excited about this because it does sound I don't want to get my hopes up, because you know, things happen, but in a world where either side of the Wind might actually have its premiere very soon. I'm very excited that Tinto Brass's Caligula with name over the title kind of thing, that Tinto Brass's Caligula might finally actually see the light of day. Now we are back when we were talking about the version of Caligula that played in con in twenty twenty three, once referred to as Caligula mmxx or Caligula twenty twenty. But this is twenty twenty four and it's now called Caligula the Ultimate Cut, and it was produced by a person named Thomas Nagovit. We will be discussing the film as well as what's happened to this project over the last six years. We'll also be spoiling the film as we go along, so if you don't want anything ruin, go ahead and find the movie. It's coming out on Blu Ray a few times, including the Umbrella Entertainment version, which features commentary from our own Heather Train. One more thing, we might get some things wrong as we talk about this, just because we have been caliguled up one side and down the other. I feel a little bit like Proculus. At my wedding night. I've had a lot of Caligula coming in and out of these eyes and ears, and I get a little bit of details wrong or any of us. Please forgive us, Heather. I'm so curious. How did you get involved in this new release and what did you think when you first saw Caligula the Ultimate Cut?
Speaker 12: First of all, how much do I give a rational answer? Would you just reference what may be the greatest fisting saying and all of said him at history?
Speaker 3: I don't know some of the I think Fred Halstead hasn't beat.
Speaker 11: But it's again children's entertainment. Come on, this is what we specialize here on the projection booths. Between this and solo, it's just children's entertainment.
Speaker 14: Mine.
Speaker 12: This is what I've bested about talking with Rob Vonville podcast. Is that dry humor and that slightly beautifully shaded void of view. I do love Frett Holston. We'll save that for another show. As far as how I got into this particular cut of the film, or how did I get into Colligula in general?
Speaker 3: Either one. If you want to talk about Caligula, because this is your first Caligula with us, we wanted to bring you on here. Maitland is okay, She's fine. It's been a little tough getting hold of her lately, but I think she's doing our right. I've seen posts and still on her substack. But either with you doing the audio commentary, we're like, great, let's get Heather over here and have her talk about this. But yeah, please tell me your history with Calligila, if you would.
Speaker 12: I remember hearing about Calliguila as a little kid. I remember seeing the vhs and the mature section at our local video star, because Walker Corner Video did not have an adult section, they had a mature Some of those videos were probably more on the immature range because there was like a lot of Beach Bundy type stuff. It was all softcore, but they had I remember seeing the cover for Caligula and that great iconic art, and yeah, I was already reading a lot about film. If ooh, that's aid infamous film. Even as a little kid, I knew this is the film. Chirs Malcolm McDowell, Sir John gilgot Helen Mary and you've got these Shakespearean trained actors and it's pehouse and it's lurned And I remember seeing Inside Edition or it's like tabloid shows doing a piece on it, like the late eighties feel like Video Search of Miami and one of their catalogs had some variation cut of it at some point, because I used to get their catalogs even though I was too poor to order anything, and I was also like, well under eighteen, I couldn't order from But I loved seeing the movies, and when I finally did get to see it, I was not disappointed. It's see the Goociona cut is for all of its flaws, you still get to see there's so much brilliance in the movie that cannot be restrained by any cut of it, and especially McDowell, the Danello di Natti sets, and honestly, I think there are performers there that don't get enough respect that should, including Teresa and Savoya, John Steiper especially. So I'm a huge fan of Caligula, which is why when I got approached from somebody by Umbrella if I wanted to contribute a commentary, I of course jumped on it. Now I do have to give a shout out to Alexandra Heller Nichols because she threw my name in that hat. I would not have gotten that gig without her vouching for me. So I hope she likes you. When ever happened? Really, Jesus, hope they don't hate it. But I did my best. But and so that's how I got to see the old Simth cut, and it was fascinating. It is a fascinating thing to see. I think it's interesting and I can't really think of any other film that's white has the storied history of having so many variations of it as far as edits the whole drama of it being basically stolen from the director. Because the other thing that helped me get my name in that hat was I'm a noted Tito Brass fan. I'm a huge Tino Brass fair girl. I don't know as much as Alexander Trushinsky, who I know you got to interview Bow. Alex is amazing and incredible, but I love Tinta Brass. He's a my kind of artist. So I was curious to see how this cut was going to play out. I knew it was going to be different than the Mission Caligula cut on which may be sad, but it's still okay. Getting to see this footage restored and presented in a different way had be very intrigued. But I'll reserve my further thoughts as we go into it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I should say, even before I asked Rob what he thought of the Ultimate cut. Part of the reason we're doing this episode is just to set the record straight, because I think there are still people out there that think that this new cut, the Ultimate cut, is Alexander's version of this. It's not, and we'll definitely talk about that in the second half of the show, but just to put that out there right here and now, just a few minutes in. It's an interesting follow up to what we talked about with Mission Caligula, but this is not where we thought we were going to be going. So, Rob, what did you think when you finally got to see this Ultimate cut?
Speaker 11: Thing that was interesting for me is that there's scenes in the film that are directly what we know that Alexander told us about, such as the Simon says seen the gods removing the head scene, things that there were stills for but we didn't see. So for me, there's aspects of that are really interesting. Another aspect of this that I like are some of the performances ad depth, and there's even a character in here that I don't remember from the theatrical version that we'll talk about that I think adds a bit to McDowell's performance in his characterization that I think is interesting. So it has a lot of extra things in. It runs an extra I think thirty minutes compared to the original theatricals, so it's three hours now. And then there are aspects of it in terms of the edit that I find a bit ponderous at times, and editing choices and things like that, And we can talk about all that. That's more for the second half, But for me, it's again like Heather was saying, it's seeing another version of something that you're familiar with, and it still leaves me hungry for that. As close as we could get tinto brass version that I would absolutely love to see, I would look. That is a hang up that I have, But I went in watching it against what was previously given to us, meaning the gucci Oni version and the Blu ray, which is a little bit different when they cut out some of the softcore or some of the hardcore from what I remember. But it definitely has some merits on its own, and it has some deficiencies on its own too. That's to be expected with any time you tinker with it with any piece of heart.
Speaker 3: Sorry, it's close. I don't know if it's got a cigar, but it's close. There are some interesting choices, Like you said, even when it comes to the long opening scroll, I understand us wanting to have a scroll at the beginning to talk a little bit about the history of the film, though some of the things that are in that opening scroll, I'm just like, really, then to start it off with the animated and I'm just like, oh, okay, we're going really different because that animated sequence, which not a big fan of the style of the animation, some of it looks kind of I don't know off to me, but I guess it is a dream sequence, so you can't really put rules on a dream sequence. I'd like some of this stuff that they have when it comes to the little Caligula dance and everything, and I'm just like, Okay, this explains a little bit more. I know we're saving a lot of stuff for the second half of the discussion, so I'm not going to get too far into it. But the dream sequence was there in one version of course screenplay, it wasn't there in another. But at least it makes a lot more sense to have this dream version here rather than to make it be I remember, and I listened to our earlier episodes on this because I refuse to go back and watch the Gucci one version again. But where it was the dream was nymphocent in the forest, and then it's uh, I had this horrible dream, like what wait what?
Speaker 11: Speaking of that animated sequence, I was looking at it, and I went back and actually looked at the press notes after, and the press notes at least the version that we got is only really two pages, so there's not a lot in there. But I was looking at it. I go, God, this looks really familiar, Like this animation design style is really familiar, and I realized it's Dave McKean. And I loved Dave McKean's work from Arkham Asylum, the graphic novel, the Batman Story, and he also did those covers in the eighties and nineties for Sandman. He has a very specific painter style, and so I like his art. I just it just seemed to me almost like the dream sequence. I understand what he was doing by creating this and putting it in the film, but part of it I don't necessarily know. If it pays off as well, because really, ultimately what it's about is just paranoia. It's really about the paranoia of power is really the story, and I don't think you need to get that far into it because it's like Poligula as Joseph Stalin, He's just I'm in power and now everyone wants to kill me. Some might but not everyone. There's this I've got to take everyone out before they take me out attitude, and that just ramps. So that's just the story ramp. But I don't know if the dream sequence really adds much or helps to play in, although it does add with some of the symbology later with the bird and things like that.
Speaker 12: Dave McKeon and Thomas and mcgovin, their pats had crossed before this project. They worked together on a exhibition and that's the thing is like mcgovan has this amazing background as an art preservationist and historian and for something called he did this program called Keno Geist that was this two day event and part of that was called Nitrate and Keino Guys, and that included they had some of like Keyan short films and the whole thing was celebrating basically silent film art too, which is super cool, so they definitely at cross. I'm a huge day of McKeen fan.
Speaker 15: Two.
Speaker 12: It's weird the innimation. I don't think I initially clocked as Dave mckeenon because, like Rob and like anybody that grew up at least three fourced goth in the nineties, like the Samman comics, and especially the cover art is just like iconic. But it's cool. It's cool. I don't That's one of the big changes that I actually I'm okay with because there wasn't really like any raw footage found for that. And it is important to note because I think the whole thing with Colligils's paranoia is it's and I'm trying to remember if this was like touched upon that well in the GUCCIONI cut, But basically, like the whole history is, every emperor dies young and get and does not die a natural death, and his whole family other than his sisters, were exiled. That's the thing. Tiberia's excel his mother and his two brothers off to an island where they starved to death. So you can understand why he's paranoid and why he's not settled. I think I go a little bit more into the nuts and bolts and that when we get to the Tiberia section.
Speaker 3: I don't think there was a dream sequence shot though, because there is a dream sequence a little bit in the October twenty, nineteen seventy five script, but the July seventy sixth script, and it begins with him waking up just like we had in the earlier version, and really, from what I understand, it was supposed to start very similar to Selon Kitty, with a out of focus shot that you just stay in while the credits play, and then eventually it becomes in focus, and that's Kalig waking up with Driscilla next to him and he's had this horrible dream, and that's right out of that opening of that July seventy six script. And so I guess it's just really which version you're reading as far as which one you want to say this is the true one. But I would say I know. Brass said that there were seven versions of the script written, and that was before Malcolm mcdalbrod and his person too work on the script a little bit as well, and I guess that's what helped cause a lot of friction between Brass and though I don't see those two really getting along too well.
Speaker 12: Talking about two, oh, there's a lot of I think I know. One of Gorse scripts, Tinto was complaining that there was too much like gay, which Tito I don't think is homophobias. He's had, He had Salon Giddy has a very positive gay character in it. But it's it's got to be more than just buggery. You gotta have some mixture. Oh it odd and I think just those are two. I hate using the alpha beta parvalance is because of all the in cell ball shit out there. But they are too like strong. Those are two very strong finkers, two very brilliant, and they're very in very distinctive ways. But also one's incredibly American, the one's incredibly Italian. And sometimes those two can marry beautifully, but when they don't, it's, yeah, you get Gorse little bit che quote. Did you guys read where he one of his comments about Tito was, oh, that he should have been called Tinto's z inc And it's that's the best singer you got, Garny, come on like that.
Speaker 11: Here's the thing, that's here's the thing that's interesting in my We were messaging a bit before the show earlier today, and this is the third time we've had a bite at this apple, and this is the first time that it came to mind. And I know Camu enough, but it was like I didn't put it together that Albert Kimu had written a play of Poligula. And so there's part of me that although I haven't seen the play, I have not read the play. I understand the synopsis, and the synopsis follows much the same, But really I wonder how much Gorvidal was looking at Camu's treatment and borrowing from it, because ultimately what sets him off in that play from the synopsis I read is the death of Drusilla that basically, once Drusilla dies, he's fuck it. I can do whatever I want. I don't care anymore. I've given up on trying to be nice to anyone, and I'm just gonna be the id and I'm going to do anything I want. And so that becomes really the push the incident within the Camu play. But here it seems more like what the push for him is more of the paranoia, in that he's more scared of Tiberius and then Jemalus and all these other people trying to turn against him. So it seems more of paranoia and exercise in paranoia than it is a I've lost the love of my life and therefore everyone suffers.
Speaker 12: I love that what you sent that to as, I was like, I'm floored. I was like, oh God, this that's why I love when Rob but the talk and Rob as you bring up these things, and especially I think between that and Gore Vidal does need to be like, I mean absolutely praise for he incorporated a lot of legit historical research that shines in all versions of this That is everything going to bee hundred percent. Now, let's face it, history is not one hundred percent because it's written by the victors. But he sourced a lot of it from Suetonius. There were two main historians of this era, and that was Setonius and Cassio Dio. And like the whole thing with Tiberius, like the whole thing with the minnows so creepy, like the little fishes and all that, and it's and Peter Atole looks he looks like he he looks like he's like the living dead. And that's the already like it looks like a zombie and it's just so appropriately just like ghastly. But that's the thing, those were real legits. I guess rumors that he was basically like a pedophile. Caligial was brought in as a slave, he treated him as a slave. There is no telling if that's true what Caligula as a little boy, as a young man had to witness an endure also with the full knowledge that this is the man that was responsible for basically slowly murdering his family, like most of his family, including his mother. I don't see how that would not make any body paranoid and insane. I'm not justifying any crazy, but and I love that there's that touch. I think Malcolm McDowell, who is one of our greatest living actors, I'm a huge I know well he didn't feel like he has performance shined in the other cuts. It's back in McDowell. The man's gonna shine in a subway shop like he's got you put them in a subway ordering a meatball sandwich. Dude is gonna shine. That's what he does. Because here there are times where he has such a sensitivity in his eyes and such emotion. But he also has that cheeky side to and also just that bratty monster, and he has all of this, but I love I think in some ways the whole stuff with Tiberius in this film is the most compelling.
Speaker 11: You were talking about the research, and one of the things Goorvidal wrote a lot of historical novels that were he did research and did all that stuff. And one of the things that's interesting about ancient Roman writing, especially in this period like where Christianity's coming in, is you have to remember also that some of the stuff is written, as you were saying, how they're by the victors, and who would become the victors would be a Christianized Romans. So there's some historians of ancient Rome that say, you know what, the whole thing with the orgies and the sexual stuff and that's all overblown. They made them sound way worse than they were in order to make them the New Guard, sound much better than they were. There was this balance of making the Old Guard seem like they were just the most evil and horrible people.
Speaker 1: That ever walked the face of the earth.
Speaker 11: So the question becomes how much and we're never going to know, But the question becomes how much of this is real or not. But ultimately, I think the bigger question is this question that's asked about how power corrupts, how power can make you paranoid looking over your shoulder all the time, And I think that's really the key theme I think, really through the whole piece.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we should say that Suetnis didn't write his history of the Caesars until one twenty one a d. Which was already so many years removed from Caligula. And I know that I'm not an expert on any sort of Roman history, but the from what I understand, a lot of these histories, like you said, Rob, they're written by the victors, and they're coloring things the way that they want to color. Both Suetonas and Tacitus might have written things that they thought were correct. We know how easily facing it changed here in twenty twenty four, So I don't know about forty nine AD type of stuff, but yeah, I from what I understand, Wow, Nero actually wasn't that bad of a guy. He didn't play the fiddle while he was burning Rome down, these kind of things. But it's the next emperor or the one after that is look at that guy. Look at his record. Look at what horrible things did he played the fiddle? Well, Rome was burned, he set fire to Rome and played the fiddles? What are you talking about? So some of these things like oh Coligula was so crazy? What is his horse to be a senator? Maybe he did, maybe he didn't. I don't know, but yes, it's part of this narrative.
Speaker 11: And that's the great thing about historical or allegory, or even why I love horror film and science fiction is because it takes something that could be very contemporary, and if you were trying to talk about it in a contemporary way, probably be pedantic and no one would pay attention and be like it is boring. But when you couch it into these other terms of history or science fiction, horror, whatever, you can actually have a really interesting discussion on themes. And ultimately, I don't care about historical accuracy of as I care about I guess what Verna Hertzog would call it, the asthetic truth? Is it true in terms of how it feels? And you know it reacts as opposed as a true true.
Speaker 3: And going back to some of that conflict between gor Vidal and Tinto Brass, part of it too was brass, was like, you're spending way too much time on Tiberias. This is not the Tiberius movie. This is the Collegular movie. What are you doing with all this Tiberia stuff? And I seem to remember back in the first discussion we had about Caligula, me complaining about just how long the Tiberia stuff goes on for. And even though they added more to the Tiberia section, but they also took away things from the Tiberia section, but that Tiberia section still runs. I think close to a solid half an hour between when Caligula gets told, hey, you need to go to care and after Tiberius is murdered. I think that's a solid half hour of screen time with all of this stuff going on, if not more. And it just takes fucking forever to get through this. And just hearing Peter O'Toole that you like so saydes it's good to have both, I'm just like, God, this is going on forever.
Speaker 12: I loved that. I thought that the back and all of it. Ah, I think especially because saying it clear, saying it a very clear, because the Imperial Edition of Poliguila is a set that I love it. I'm glad I have it, and I thought that looks great, and then do you see this restoration of it. But it's I think there's arguably stuff that's way more transaggressive and obsteem. If it's film, it's not seen, but some crazy stuff going on compared to the stuff COOCCIONI shot, which I know as much as people are like, oh it's poured, it's pretty straight erotica. It's nothing crazy. You've got somebody with a conjoined deformed twins and there's like a weird dildo spinning wheel that looks honestly painful and like it would probably I actually looks like something I saw on a Joe sort of film, and I think about it. Even then I was like, girl, do not get near leaf. Do not put your vagina near that. It will hurt you, and not in a fun way. But I loved it both for the complete outray of it, but I also to me, I think I like the causeum it sets up, this is what he has had deep year around. It's to me, I think it's essential to see like the origin of Caligula, but the madness, but also just the madness of government, which is really what the film to me is really bad. People say it's about therruption of power, but it's also look at the nobody. They're all snakes. There's not one hero in any of the political thing a Caligular, if anything, is mocking them. The more he insane he gets, the more it's just it's like, in his own weird way, he's just calling them out and be like my horse. Yeah, and Titus is just as good, if not better than a lot of your sheep, who will quickly put a knife in someone's bag as you will to pat him on it. Wow. I'm glad things have changed though, so that's good.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 11: The point I had made, I think it was in the first episode we did, is that Caligula becomes like I had this bully in high school that it seemed like he wanted to push you. It was like he wanted a reaction out of you. And it's what he does here where it's I'm just going to keep doing this and I want to see if someone's going to push back, and eventually they do, but it takes a long time, and it's almost someone with a death wish, where it's I want to die, but I'm not going to kill myself. I'm gonna make you do it. I'm going to make you kill me. I'm not going to kill myself. I want to see how far I could push you.
Speaker 3: Instead of death by cop, it's death by Centurion exactly.
Speaker 12: Yes, that's a new metal band far fan that I love. You know what's funny, though, we've all known bullies like that in real life. Who was like, I hate that, I hate that Berth. Then nobody likes that guy in real life. But for some reason, Caligula in the movie. Maybe it's because it's Malcolm McDowell's, but Betha mcdeal's like the Beth.
Speaker 11: The Caligula that McDowell plays in here is Alex's fever dream from Clockwork Orange, because there's that scene where he's in prison, he's reading the Great Book, he's reading the Big Book, and he's imagining himself taking part in scourging Christ on the way to the Cross and all of that stuff. And for me, there's one scene in here that's cut completely different from the theatrical version that completely changes a little bit of that for me. And this is right around now where we're talking about Tiberias of Nerva and I'm glad that there is more Nerva. I actually understand why he's there more in this cut as opposed to the theatrical version. But the thing that I miss, because I'm so used to theatrical version, is where McDowell's like, Nerva, what's going on? Where he's like this little kid and he's all excited that this guy's dying and is do you see isis? Is she coming for you? And he's all very excited about experiencing death by proxy through this guy, which again also ties into what I was saying before about the bully who wants to be offed by someone, where he's like, oh, tell me about it, And in this version he's much more serious. He's not as in that child space. He's not in that Alex space. This is what I would call it, where he's so excited by misdeeds and horribleness, and it's like he's getting all excited by wha real horror show.
Speaker 3: And I'm not exactly sure why that scene is missing. There's a couple theories that I have. One is that there's something in the opening scroll that says none of these shots have ever been seen before, which I disagree with because there's a couple shots. I was watching this with ultimate cut on the TV and then one of the older versions on my laptop, and there were a couple times I was like, Okay, these SYNCD up pretty good because I had to keep fast forwarding rewinding, and then eventually I would find like a sink point. But it was interesting. It was like, rather than a close up, I'm seeing a long shot rather than a medium shot, I'm seeing an extreme close up rather than from this angle, I'm seeing it from that angle. But maybe they didn't have other angles for the Nerva suicide scene, because we do get the first part of the suicide scene, which Alexander told us about from Mission Caligula. Now we get to see that, but we don't get that scene that you're talking about, Like you just said, we don't get that whole Oh do you see isis? And my theory is one maybe that's because Nagovin's gone on record saying we can't show oh colegular murdering somebody at that point, because he eventually just pushes nerve it down. It's interesting in the script, though, the at least the October twenty, nineteen seventy five script, he and that scene is in there, and he instead of pushing Nerve it down, he kicks him in the head. But by that point Nerv is already dead and he just slides into the pool. So I'm looking at the July seventy sixth script and I'm still seeing that. Tell me about isis scene, because I thought maybe Nagovin was just really stuck to I'm only going to follow this script because it's definitely shorter. The July one is one hundred and thirty eight pages, whereas the seventy five October one is one hundred and ninety pages, which is closer to the running time of what this movie is now, which is what two hours and fifty seven minutes.
Speaker 12: I think there was some audio stuff that they had to finagle with as far as what they had access to with this building the ultimate cut, and I know there were like some certain audio issues, particularly with the Nerva see because I think, you know, I'm a little rusty, I'm when I read this interview, but I feel like they had to use a little bit of AI.
Speaker 1: To clean out I did, yes, which.
Speaker 12: I don't feel great about. I'm not a fan of it, but as a whole, and I think it's a complete scourge to the arts. But that's not saying thing about this film. But what but I guess it makes I guess I could see that that was the audio foles that they had, or the audio rules that they had access to, because if you watch the group of COACCIONI cut either any of them, the audio seems fine in their minner. I don't have a problem with it at all.
Speaker 3: But it was the new stuff is what they had problems with the sound.
Speaker 12: So that might be why. That's also maybe that was just like a section that was just ungovernable as far would be my guest, just because I know they were having audio issues with that sequence.
Speaker 3: Here's Thomas Negavin from a Century Guild podcast.
Speaker 9: The audio clean up process. So Italian stages. Funnily enough, this is something Malcolm had talked about in an interview, that he'd be doing a really intense take and then he'd hear's someone curse in the background because of the machine ran over their foot or something. And so what basically happened on Italian sets is they never intended to use location audio. Now, the problem is they were building sets while they were filming, and so one of the problems with that is that you'll have someone working and there's hammering in the background. So that's not a noise reduction solution, and it's not even something that you could really do with precise editing. You probably couldn't to some degree, but it would take forever and be really complicated. Some of the things that happened with AI technology that Peter Jackson was using for get Back that allowed the computer learning to separate human voice from its surroundings. It's not noise reduction. It's not a frequency like it was literally sculpting pieces. The scene with John Gielgood in the bath was a scene that I thought, that's the one we're going to make the excuses for. We're going to have to put a disclaimer at the front end saying this was made from blah blah blah sources. And by the end of this thing, the length of time that it took just that last year, the technology changed so much that we were able to get his voice sounding immaculate. And the Irony Kevin was our audio magician on this, and he said this to me, this was his idea that I'm sharing. It's really funny. That was the worst sounding scene and now at the end, it's that's the best sounding scene.
Speaker 3: It just feels like it cuts at a weird spot after that initial conversation and before the nerva. Do you see isis part? It's almost like a quick fade out, Yeah, that might be it exactly. And I'm with you as far as like making things with AI, and but I use AI all the time with some of the stuff that I do, especially like finding ums and US and removing those from speech like that is now a thing that I can do with AI. So it makes my life a lot easier because I'm in quite a bit and I'm curious to see what AI is going to do to this section as I'm purposefully sticking in ums and US.
Speaker 12: I will say this, like Nick Govin and his editor Aaron Shops, they worked very hard on this cut and it shows, and they're very transparent about what was used because the only I know, the only I think, the only the major digital thing they really did was there are some things that got a little fleshed out, the ale of Capri things the most obvious with the exterior of it, because that's not in any version. And there were some some of the sets where they said you could see in the raw footage just black or the sets, the set is ending and it wasn't finished because those that design that film, it's amazing it got made. When you read about the making of Curricula, I don't think the film probably personally, I don't think it needs it. But it doesn't hurt it.
Speaker 1: No, it doesn't.
Speaker 15: So my cents.
Speaker 3: Here's Thomas Negavin and Aaron Shapps from a Century Guild podcast.
Speaker 9: The work that we did digitally was for Danillo Donati. So when people that are choosing to be negative about it are saying, why would you go in and do that, it's because we respect that set designers so much. We know he didn't get a chance to finish. You see the quality and then you see right where it ends.
Speaker 5: One thing that we saw on you may have noticed if you've seen the theatrical cut, there are really no exterior establishing shots of any location whatsoever. And in the seventies that would have been done using matte paintings. Instead of doing that, there were a couple instances where we wanted an establishing shot outside and so that was created digitally. It would have just been a mate painting had we done it in the seventies, That's how they would have done it. For one in particular, what we were able to do is we wanted.
Speaker 16: An establishing shots before you get to peter o'tooles Tiberius's villa, and our effects guy John He was able to actually take an image of what the coasts of Italy would look like from Capri and create a digital essentially a.
Speaker 5: Digital matte painting with that. So again, really it's just a matter of either completing sets that Denillo didn't have a chance to complete because of the insane shooting schedule and how behind everything was from day one, or just an establishing shots. We haven't tinkered digitally with anything, just completed things that we're in.
Speaker 12: Aren't fans of the Tiberias? Did you guys at least enjoy the seeing jammelis the little does? Is it just me? Jameli's looks like the Luchota of Vesconte death and Venice kid.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the most beautiful boy in the world. Isn't that the documentary about that kid?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 12: I hope that they documentary looks really good. I still need to see it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'd like to see that myself too.
Speaker 17: It looks good, But I thought, Jamella is like, there's the thing that casting in this film is because even with like the like more minor players like cam Like, everybody's so striking and everybody just fits their parts so perfectly, like this poor You see this kid and he looks like death than Venice kid.
Speaker 12: But more sickly, and you just you're like this poor kid like he is, I don't feel like he's had it. He's had it a little better than Caligula, but he had Look at Tiberius, is this guy's not a guardian?
Speaker 18: Like?
Speaker 12: I wouldn't let this man near Mike houseplants?
Speaker 11: Oh yeah, my little house plants?
Speaker 3: So are you?
Speaker 11: Would you like to drink my little house plants? Dance dance for me? My little house plants entertained me.
Speaker 12: I had the weird the women with the babies, and the just it's so.
Speaker 3: Reminded me of Fury round with the Morton Joe and all of his mother's there and pumping all the milk.
Speaker 12: Oh my god. Yeah, Tiberius makes the Morton Joe look like Tony danz On, who's the boss? I will say, I wish we did get more John Gilgood, but I love it. Mike that you point out tho at least we get a little more of him. Yeah, and this, and also Gilgood has the best quotes, the two best quotes I have seen about this movie that's not from Tinto himself because one of them, and perversely Penthouse useless in their press releases, which I find sets because he said I've known coffins that were warmer than Roman bats, which is one of Also, he was I think the only major mainstream actors that were okay with the X rated stuff. Helen Mirren had very funny attitude about it. Can we all she's got? We'll get into hurt a little bit, but God bless Helen Man. But also John, you look Good ran into beca mcdowas while start but running into him and he's own Malcolm. It's wonderful. I'm in a polo. I've seen it three times, that you look good body. It was just hilarious. He loved it. He was so chuffed about being in a dirty movie. Now that's a trooper like divine and John Gilgod, oh, sir John Golgod, excuse me.
Speaker 11: Think about when it was made stage nudity at that point, was you know what you had harryet O Calcutta. You had Maroth's sod and then you had the whole free love hangover, so this was still part of that. People really didn't start getting really conservative until Reagan came in to a certain extent and Thatcher. So this was before all that. People were still in that exuberant surround, I think.
Speaker 12: Especially because they weren't the ones actually doing the sex too, because that double standard never has never sadly gone away. This is hads Harry Reems almost getting grease and then replacing him with said Caesar, like I couldn't hate greats anymore than already do. Peter O'Toole is very hammy here, but it's but it's perfect, It's perfect. He looks like he loved it so much. I could see him being like, I need another stiphanitic soul.
Speaker 11: It would have reminded me of his performance in here, probably the closest performance I've seen of his. It's like this in this era would have been ruling class, where he's just unhinged. And you know, it feels like if McDowell is leveraging Alex from a clockwork, Orange o'tooles leveraging his character from the group.
Speaker 12: I love that. I love it so much. Yeah, that's yeah, it's such a gem. And I look back to that plays Macro. I won't go to much of him because it's to the commentary huh, but he has such a grass. He looks like who you would cast in that role. Like, he looks very strong and trustworthy, and he's very economic and condensed and his bossuage. This is a guy that physically is always thinking and being on top of shit. It's such as I'm glad we're talking about Thistuf. I feel like there's a lot of smaller performances that get overshadowed by this movie, and it's infamy that these that should get praised.
Speaker 11: It's very controlled, and it goes with the idea of him being military, like that fits so well. And that was one of the things that I put in the notes here about, like you were saying, those smaller characters in this version, we get them more fleshed out. So, for example, I think Macro and Longinis in here we really get the sense of them being put under by Caligula more than in theatrical version. Like in theatrical version, it's he just keeps telling them to do shit. But in here there's like a lot of there's like size and side eyes, and ah Jesus, you can tell that they're just tired of putting up with his shit, and it gets more obvious as you get further along. And that's what I think is those side characters, those smaller characters, really help to really pave his end. That you can read them more now than you could in the other version. They were there, but they we didn't get the sense that they were put upon as much as they are in this version.
Speaker 3: Going back to that first Collegular episode we did, I could hear, and I remember they didn't understand the movie. I didn't know what the hell was going on. There was that whole thing I'm talking about in that episode about his beard and how his beard's there. Sometimes it disappears, other times it's because it was all fucking out of order. I'm not surprised I didn't understand it. I had nothing to latch onto. It was a confusing film. Stuff that was in the middle was at the beginning and vice verse, and I'm just like, what the hell's going on? This version of it lets me have a story, and it does remove we said it's almost three hours long for lack of just for quickness, we'll say three hours long. And you understand what's happening. You get to introductions of these character, you get arcs of these characters. You see Nerva before he commits suicide instead of just a few seconds of them. You get what Macro's doing, what he's what's happening with his wife. You get more when it comes to which guards are are hurting other people, and what's happening with Proculus and then his soon to be wife and all this. I'm just like, oh, I understand now. This was like a revelation to me to be able to actually follow the story, because I will be honest, I could not follow that original version whatsoever.
Speaker 11: You brought up the Proculus and Lydia Pish in here. We get that Bill, Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well we get them throughout this whole movie. Yeah, which was.
Speaker 11: Great, right, so that when you get to the wedding scene, it's even more like sadistic because you think, oh, he's just weird and he's just going to go do this thing, and you can actually see the plotting. It's oh, he's introduced to him there and then he says a little thing to him there, and then he says something to him there and then bam, he's I'm here for your wedding gift. So there's like half of that is cut out of the theatrical version, and I think I can't remember timing wise, if this version of the actual scene itself is longer, it sure as hell fell longer, and that it's one of those things where it's I want this to be painful for you as I view, want you to realize how fucking horrible this person is now.
Speaker 3: And I can't remember. Do we get to see the fate of Proculus in this version? I don't think we do. I don't think we see him hung up and like he's in that almost like puppet show type thing.
Speaker 12: I feel like that's in there?
Speaker 4: Is it in there?
Speaker 3: That's what I was saying at the beginning. I'm not going to make any claims. I'm gonna I've got a version of it up, so fast forward and see if I can find that.
Speaker 12: Yeah, because that's and this is the beauty of doing this film that it's various, kuy is. It gets hot and heady, and especially when you start going into international, that's actually the cool thing, not the and I'm not doing this a plug. Thing with the Umbrella is they actually are having like some of the foreign cuts because like they're like the Australian release obviously dismissing some of the works righted stuff and it was missing other stuff, but then had scenes that were in no other versions that weren't in the US versions, that weren't here. It's fascinating. But this is why GOP bless people Alexander and and Thomas and there for having to make take this bounty, this cornucopia of beautiful mess and try to make sense of it because it's there's so much great stuff there. It's just trying to And I don't think I even fully realized how out of sorts the cut that I was used to the X ray the atrical cut until I started researching both Mission Caligula and then especially diving into the ultimate cut. And then when you go back to the Gucciani one, you're like, holy shit, some of this is it's almost it borders on random, and there's still good stuff in there. But then you can see we're the Guccioni corner pit house lens for lack of a better term, is coming in there with except that the nymph footage and that pastoral with the misty fog. Some of that is some of those gorgeous visual stuff in the whole film, like with with Drew Silla and Cligula running around and being playful, but the nymphs it gets a little too Okay, is this about to turn into a loop com Damn Bob, calm down. Okay.
Speaker 11: This is one of the things that I wrote in my notes and I talked I think a little bit about this in one of the previous episodes.
Speaker 1: But can we look at the.
Speaker 11: Three main men of porn in that horn publishers in that era, right, So you had Hefner and Playboy, you had Guccioni and Penthouse, and you had Larry Flinton Hussler. Okay, So when I look at this movie, this is a movie that only Guccioni could make. And there's several things that like esthetically connected to those to his magazine and like you were talking about, like the nymph stuff and all of that, and like him trying to elevate this to like some gauzy, gaudy art because really, like Hefner, like all three of them were raised in some sort of culture and some sort of religious background. But the thing is that, as far as I know, they all threw it off. Larry Flint had his evangelical era that ended, and then he became more of an antithist and even an atheist to be honest. But Larry Flint was always very working class. It was always like, what would the truckers like?
Speaker 1: To see?
Speaker 11: What can I give the truckers? That's what Hustler was all about. Hefner just wanted to make basically esquire with naked ladies. That was his thing, and he was very waspy in his aesthetic. So you get Guccioni, who's Italian background, raised in the church, and you look at this and you go, this feels like somebody with that background of going to these churches with saints and everything that is Catholicism written large in its design. And then of course there's that connection obviously with the Roman Empire and then eventually what became the Roman Catholic Church. But it's just even his magazine has the exact same esthetic of just over the top gauzyness to it that when I was young growing up, I couldn't relate to it as much like it was just it was trying to be too pretty and downscale. It's say it was a weird mix. I don't know if you ever because I worked in a bookstore where we sold all kinds of books, but we obviously had these magazines. You could lay them out and even if I didn't tell you which one they were from, I'd be like, Okay, which photo is from which magazine? You could always tell.
Speaker 12: This is so fascy because I knew. I've actually known plenty of guys that preferred Penthouse over Playboy and Hustler for that because at one time I remember even an ex on nine years and years ago, I've ever been like, oh I love Larry Flant that I am. I have a Larry girl through and through, but it was like, oh God, and yeah, I get it. Hustlers but more gynecological, but goocchierny style. And he does have a distinctive style, and I think some of it is very is very lovely. The seventies were very that era of that gauze look though too you look at just Shake and with the fashion photography, but then going into Emmanuel, I feel like Emmanuel has that look. His ver story of THEO or all of its flaws. It has that too. The work of David Hambleton has that. Look, we won't go into that, but I'm sure him a type period. It's all I'm sorry, I just didn't have made that tire. But but it's such a but it is. I can see why he if he could have just let be because Petrous actually had a production credit on films before this, Benhill says, a production credit on Day of the Locusts, and which thank god he didn't mess with it. He imagined try being like, I need more sexy ladies and David the locust.
Speaker 11: Yeah right, it's nineteen thirties California. Give me more gus on the legt.
Speaker 12: I need more lesbians, but they got to be pretty. I don't want that pretty lady in lesbians. But I don't know why I have him talking like that. But and yeah, the thing with Tinto, and this is why it will always buffel because Tinto Brass before Caligula was considered art house, and he is art house. I will die on that hill because Selon Kitty is art house. It gets sometimes now labeled as Nazi PlayStation. If you watch it, it's art house. And at Tinto is a creative anarchist. He is an art anarchist. Sexuality is anarchy, especially when you were somebody who was raised in an era of extreme repression and religious repression and political repression like you were in Italy, and especially the time period that Tinto grew up. He before all of this, had his film's victim of censorship. He had weathered all that, and to me, it's just he is a true artist and GUCCIONI it was an artist. I'm not going to say he wasn't, but it could not. He couldn't get its little fingers out of a cookie jar.
Speaker 11: I did subject myself Mike, to going back and watching the GUCCIONI coach against this one, and it became very obvious, which part because before it felt a bit more integrated in my mind. I don't know why, but they just did. And when I watched it this time, I go, oh, okay, I see it now. I'm like, I see what's going on now, I see what he was doing. So it became much more obvious on a new viewing after I watched this new edit, just how much GUCCIONI okay, slow most shot of someone like their ass coming out of the water okay, give me that, and then like the ladies behind the wall looking in on them and all of just all of this stuff. You can see it now, you can see it so much more.
Speaker 12: I actually had somebody responded me on Twitter when Umbrella announces beeing like oh no nudity or sex, no thank you, and it's dude, it's still calligulut. Okay, there's still plenty of craziness going on. And in fact, there's still the whole Temple of Iso scene. You still see a lot of the pets in that. And I so bad for the Penthouse that because it's like GUCCIONI basically promised him, you go, your actresses, you're gonna be in this big film, and they were, but he didn't. He wasn't transparent with them about any of the explicit stuff. And that's shady. That's shady, and that's the thing. Those girls, particularly like Anika de Lorenzo and Lorian Wegner, they suffered the reputations. I know Anika sued him, I think two or three times. There's something she seared him a lot, and I get it. It's funny, Larry, out of all three of those guys ended up, I think having the cleanest reptas so guy because god Dare's like after Happner have a few guys have seeing him the secrets of Playboy stuff. But yeah, it's not good.
Speaker 11: It shows the dirtiest among them was the cleanest. Actually, the dirtiest among them would have been well, if you go to the Four Horsemen of published Goldstein. Yeah, but Goldstein's for secondary tier in certain ways. But Flint his stuff was always more in your face. And I find it funny that as you were saying that, he ends up being just like ethical.
Speaker 12: And even Al wasn't. I feel like Al gold Zee still looks better retrospectively. Screw had that great political pro punk attitude and he was very like he was like openly bisexual. He brought that brought that stuff in the early seventies and when Review gave films and so I'm totally I'm an Al gold see Larry flat Girl, you go to the two majors, things start getting a lot. I think part of it too, is that I think if Al and Larry never acted like they were perfect, they would both the must go out of their way to show all of their flaws in humanity. And I always trust people more than do that. Anybody tries to act well, I'm above that. Watch your ass because it's gonna get stupid and it's gonna get leath the.
Speaker 3: New did they that your Twitter follower was objecting to or the sex was? It was just so tacked out just going back, And though I didn't rewatch the original Guccione version of it, I have watched all these other deleted scenes and extras and all this stuff, and listening to our original episodes, I forgot about things like there's that sun statue or placard in Caligula's room and he goes up to at one point and looks through it, and then in the Guccione version they cut to what's on the other side, and it's these two girls looking through the other side and they just start making out and having sex. It's like one of those and maybe people will remember this, maybe they don't. But lesbian scenes imporn in the seventies, eighties, nineties was so easy because he didn't have to worry about a cumshut. You could just have these two girls making out for hours. It felt just put on your favorite lesbian foreign scene. Go do some laundry, comeback, don't worry they'll still be at it, and it just felt like one of those. And then some of the other sex scenes where it's like, oh, we're on this boat and here's this orgy, but we'll just cutting in new things and here's more hardcore footage and it's just boring after a while because there just wasn't anything to it. I don't know, it just felt so unmotivated, even though it's I think Timo Brassan is there's a documentary that David Gregory shot and it's called Orgy of Power, and his line in there and I think he used it even twice, was he was about making a movie about an orgy of power, and then GUCCIONI was about making a movie about the power of an orgy. And I think that's perfectly summing up what Guccione's version was versus what we're seeing now with this ultimate cut.
Speaker 11: And if there's one thing that changes from a sex scene to a non sex scene that talks about this idea, and I know you're gonna.
Speaker 3: Be like, what does that have to do with it?
Speaker 11: Is And I can't remember the exact scene, but it's Macro's wife and if I remember Guccier version, she's laying on like this lounge and there's all these men around her jerking off, and then they unload. And in this version there's still her with the men around her, but that's not in it. But what he does in terms of power and I can make you sit here while I do this thing is Malcolm McDowell comes in and he's in front of them. You don't see him, but he's over in the corner taking a pee while he's having this conversation with them, which reminded me of the stories of LBJ where LBJ would take meetings in the bathroom while he took a dump. He would make people come in and talk to him while he was on the toilet.
Speaker 3: That's Billy, Bob Thornton and Fargo.
Speaker 11: Yeah, And it was his way of going, I don't care like you got to sit here and smell my shit, oh kind of attitude. So there's the difference between the power of orgies and the orgy of r there.
Speaker 12: It's the Lligula's world. We're all living in it.
Speaker 3: You're talking about the masturbation over Enya and you're talking about this peeing scene, and I see all of this stuff in my head because I've seen all of these shots and I don't know if I've seen them in the Guccio neigh vers or just an outtakes, because I've watched hours and hours of outtakes that are out there, I think on the Imperial Edition, plus in some of these documentaries we'll get little clips. My head is reeling from Caligula right now, and it's going to take a long time to get out of it. And I can't even imagine. Alexander talked about ninety six hours worth of footage and you just to see these outtakes that go on for so long. Oh, here's this woman with a swan and she's touching the swan, or here's this woman with a snake, and you get twenty minutes of this type of stuff and it's all just b roll type of footage. But it's okay. If they wanted to cut into that, they could have. They had that option. But as me doing research on this, I'm just like, oh my god, I'm calligulid out. My brain is just so such mush. I can't even imagine what had either Alexander or now with this. Why am I forgetting? Tell me the editor's name for Aaron Shaff's version. Yeah, I feel bad for Aaron having to sit through all of this footage, and I would have felt bad for Alexander having to sit through all of this footage, because it just must have felt like some sort of Sisapian.
Speaker 12: Task within a short amount of time. Given that footage, if somebody took if anybody else took ten years to piece together, to repiece together with that much raw, I don't think anybody would question it. I don't think anybody would be like, oh, look at you, what do you think this is bleetwood masks tossed. They'd be like, no, of course, like that's a lot. So yeah, no, Aaron, and I think he did a beautiful job editing this together. Yeah, I can't imagine, and I understand because Mike, when I finished this is a little inside Baseball. When I finished that commentary, I felt like I had run a marathon. I bet I felt sapped, and it was a total thing of love. I am beyond great Bulay got to do it, and I hope anybody that gets to hear it enjoys it. Truly, but it and even then, even afterwards, there are still things that would come to me where I'm like, shit, I didn't get to cover this part of that part because there's so many connected layers and factors to this story that are just so riveting. Sometimes I'm part of my brain is still shit I write about this at some point? Should I write about this? Does the world need another article about it? Probably not, But because there's already a great Rajet's book out there, and he's he knows way more about this film than me.
Speaker 14: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Unfortunately, Renjit says that he will now never finish this book because this new cut would make him have to revisit it, and he's just no, I'm done with that. So he's all dedicated my papers to a museum or something and someday somebody will be able to read this, but he does not plan freshing yet.
Speaker 14: Yeah.
Speaker 12: That is a heartbreak because he he like, when I've researched this and just see me about of work, oh god, yeah, and and labor he put into that. I was awestruck and I was completely floored. And that's a loss. That the loss right there, because I hate hearing Matt and that's it's almost like I feel like there's a like I hate saying curse. I hate it when people going, oh, it's a cursed movie, like curse okay, But then there are some times where it's almost like God, there is like some like sticky substance to Calligula where it's like there are people that got hurt, and even after even long after that, even long after fact Guccioni being yah, there's still that weirdness to it. And then you research the history like Franco Russollini Franco got he got just as boned by Guccioni as Tito did. Franco Rossaus' respected producer one had worked with Arthouse, had worked with Peter Palell Pasolini, and then just god, he was one of people that ended up having to sue Guccioni. And it's just just so many figures. It's not just the Penthouse pets. It's all of the major actors ended up being fine. I think like they've all done right. Got Helen Mirren ended up having this amazing reds which is so cool. It's so cool to see like all of us already knew because come on, we love Peter Breadaway and we know she was hot. Sam thought to Molly that. But there's like the side people that never really recovered. In some ways, I feel like this film did the Tinto's career what you would say maybe le Bett did to barad Check. Even though like leb Bette is a brilliant film, it's our house's masterpiece, it took him from being a very respected art house director to being like, Oh, he's a guy that makes fut And I think that's how people even researching for this film. I feel like I would still see not from necessarily the film from Thomas or Eric, but other people writing about, Oh, we're so glat to have this cut, and they'd almost some of this writers would be very dismissive of Tinto and be like, oh, softcore porn and it's excuse me, do you research? Did you even bother to read as wiki for them trying to like the roma softcore porn and there's not rock the Rottica. But I think it's important for very watching The Ultimate Cut to know the source material and to know and respect the artists that built all of these bones. I know Thomas and Aaron have talked a lot about Danilo Donati the incredible set, and as everybody should, he's a genius. But let's give some props Tino Brass.
Speaker 3: Speaking of Passolini, I never made the connection that Paulo Bonicelli is the one that plays Correa. Who it's him John Steiner that we see so much plodding towards the end, And that's my boy from a salo, the mister Manja himself, the guy that looks a lot like Sebastian Cabot in Solo one and twenty Days of Sodom.
Speaker 4: No, I'm kim.
Speaker 3: Sebast He totally looks like mister French to me, I'm sorry, at least in that movie.
Speaker 12: Oh God, my next the next time we watched Salah, that's gonna be totally in my head. If he did an album and Sebastian Cabot did an album, and now I'm gonna just picture being songs about eating shit Panja.
Speaker 11: It's about Manja.
Speaker 3: And I did check the proculus on the ropes that is not in this version of it.
Speaker 12: Isn't liar, I don't know. I sure did the coming seem like I'm getting them switched up now because it's this is definitely get all the cuts babies. Actually, an umbrella one will have a.
Speaker 15: Lot of cuts.
Speaker 11: I have to thank you Mike for giving enough lead time on this, because if I would have had to have turned this around, I was planning to rewatch all of it, and I was gonna go back and listen to the old episodes, like I had to take a month off after I get some of that, just because if I would have done all that and then we would have card it like it's a movie. I don't know what's one is sah, but it's a movie. It's got stuff in it.
Speaker 12: We see Rob blinking and there's like little help me written on the eelids and it's like you're're like wireds apping it like it's Johnny God is Gone. That's dark. No, that's the But you guys find that the vascat thing. Have you ever had a film and it's various iterations impact Do you like this? Because I don't think I have. That's just such a singular thing to me, This world of Caligula, whether it's the Ultimate Cut or the Extra like, it's it's a mosaic that's compelling and messy and flawed, but it all comes together this just utterly, just extreme way.
Speaker 3: I think Ultimate Cut will assup the other versions, though I wish it wouldn't because even though this is called the Ultimate cut, and I know ultimate has two very mainstream meanings, one being the last thing and the other one being all bets are off. Everything is in here. It's stuffed to the gills. It is the ultimate, so you could go no further, which basically is the exact same thing. I hope that this is not the Ultimate cut. I hope that there are more cuts to this because I would like to see some of those longer scenes. I'd like to see some of the stuff that's in the Guccione version married with what's in this version. I love to your point from earlier, Heather, how clean this version is and just how nice it looks. Sometimes the music gets a little ponderous. I think this movie is really missing a lot of the humor and some of the joy of the what would have been in a tinto Brass film. One of the things that stuck with me that I really didn't like was some of the sound effects that they use in here. There's one when it's Caligula goes out on the town, he comes back and he goes down this there's a slide into the jail.
Speaker 14: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's a woman that slides down the slide and she ends up getting I think raped by a dwarf. And there's this sound effect that they play and I'm just like, oh my god, I've heard this sound effect a million times. Why are you using this? So I went to a friend of mine who knows a lot about sound and I was just like, hey, can you recognize this? And he gave me like the whole history of the track and stuff. So from what I understand, it's called three Screams Exterior Close Perspective from volume seven of Screams that can be found on the premiere edition Volume one by Hollywood Edge. And I'm going to play the scream when we put this episode out, and everybody's going to recognize it because you've all heard it a thousand times. So when that happens in this movie, I'm just like, whoa, you just took me way out of it.
Speaker 11: So this is like the Wilhelm.
Speaker 4: It is.
Speaker 3: It's almost like the women's scream Wilhelm.
Speaker 9: My.
Speaker 12: This is why I feel like you were like the hold my beer guy to so many researchers, so many of our people out of there, because god damn. And also a quick side note, obviously because I recorded a commentary several months to the point where I was almost like, I hope we're going to use it. But I feel like Proculus's death wasn't the cut I saw because the reason I remember that because I remember making as I made a joke at the coppentary because she urinates one of the I know it's laur And Wicker's character. I remember what her character, this name now she urinated on it. She reinates on his dead body. And I made a joke because GUCCIONI was a big He was big and a pistol. It's fined. I'm not key shaving. But unless I just have made that joke so much over the years that my memory has complained, which is baby possibility. But I feel like I was in the cut I saw. So maybe are there different ultimate cuts of the ultimate cut?
Speaker 3: Oh, that's a good question. I'm going to go through it one more time.
Speaker 11: That's the pen ultimate cut.
Speaker 3: That wedding scene, the rape at the wedding scene, the preman Oca stuff happens almost exactly midway through this cut. And I know that because that's where I can start with my fast forwarding to go through the rest of this and see ol triple check now to make sure that's not in there.
Speaker 12: I believe you, I just don't now. I'm just like I wish I could go back to that lane and I made done with this every five mite out book, my old book from that era, and go through it, because I would have had that in there.
Speaker 3: The most impact of the Ultimate Cut is in now the second half of the film, starting at one thirty. You can go through there and things like when Caligula is signing the orders. Like one of the most for me famous scenes in the guccione version, I'll just call it the Gucciono version, was him saying, by the name of Caesar and all the centers of her own blah blah blah, and he passes the law right, and Jase Stampson, he's doing the exact same thing that he saw Tiberius doing before, which he wanted to do and thought I was going to be a great honor. But then you saw how Tiberius was just fucking sick of it. You don't get him doing that whole by the power of room, but like how he just goes through it ends before he starts to get crazy with it. That's when he starts to step across the tops of all these recks and is doing his little dance across the racks and starting to really fuck with Longinis. It really feels like in the second half of the movie, it is the how can I make long Ginas's life miserable? Which is one of the reasons why he gets killed, And yeah, that's where you get a lot of these interesting things, the birth of his quote unquote son and some of these other things you get. One of the things that I like in this new version two is the use of the bird omen and how that comes back quite often. And like you said, Rob, that's in that opening animation as well, So you start off with that, but then you really carry that through. And that was the thing with the Guccioni version is I just didn't feel like it knew how to tell a story. These bird moments are very important. These are massive omens for him. So when he sees the bird at the very beginning after the dream sequence, he freaks the fuck out. I'm like, Okay, yeah, that makes sense now because it's he's going to see a bird before Drusilla dies, and he's going to see a bird before he dies. So yeah, that makes a lot of sense, and this one just makes sense now and I can understand this film. Do I think it's the best film.
Speaker 4: In the world.
Speaker 3: No, I think it still has a little bit to go before it gets to be even more. It's definitely an improvement over what we had.
Speaker 11: The side character you were talking about in the back half of the film that comes in is the mute Oh yeah, Deef, the mute guard. And how when I watched it against the theatrical version, I realized, Oh, this character's in there, but he doesn't really interact with him that much. He's in a couple of scenes. But within this version, you really get a sense that it's almost like he builds a friendship with this guy. And that's interesting in that while he's destroying everything else around him, he's finding companionship with this odd mute character. And it just adds more to McDowell's characterization and just the character Gill as a hole. So I really love that. That's something I really love in this version. That's not that wasn't any other versions.
Speaker 3: Malcolm mcdell on Mark Morin's WTF podcast. He was like, Oh, it's great. Collan Muhra and she was in the movie for fifteen minutes before she's in there an hour now. And I feel that's the same for everybody. By removing all of the and I hate to use this word because I think it's overused, but gratuitous sex, because it was gratuitous, unnecessary sex. By removing all of that, it gives all of these actors such a time to shine. And I'll tell you who else gets a lot of screen time that didn't before Incitatus. So finally we get to see a lot more of Caligulous Horse, like this major thing, the scandal of like him having his horse in Congress and are in the Senate and boom, here's Incitatas and we get a whole lot more of him, and like even Caligula sleeping in bed with them and bringing him to all of these parties and yeah, he's just he's a major character now, all hail and sata.
Speaker 12: Yeah, yes, justice for Instatas. Give I love so much both of you bringing all of this up, because that is I think one of the biggest gifts of this cut, and there are some gifts in this cut. I'm glad it's out there because we are getting more of these performances. We're also getting to see more of Landinis Jean Steiner. I feel like, does that get enough praise? He was a brilliant actor. He's brilliant in this. I love the way he SLINKs around and he was great. And he was in Salon Kitty if he worked with Tinto off and on up until God was it was it perma FoST He did a lot. I think now it was snack box. But he of course he's also in Mario Baba's Shock. He's in Tinebray, which also so is Lorena DiAngelo, who's wore Proculus's wife. And it's Steiner's great and from all accounts a great guy. Like every even the pets, because I've ever seen every floor riper said that one of the few this is poor curls cut I do. I'm like, also justice for the pets. But one of the few people that actually was really warm to them was John Steiner, and he had he invited them over for dinner to him and his wife's place in Italy for dinner. Nothing on toureds, nothing, sort of just being like, hey, welcome to Italy. Just and she just said nothing but pracious.
Speaker 1: What a gentleman.
Speaker 12: So John Steyer's the man, we get more of him. Of course, mor Heele also something I loved. And this was a rarity because even though Teresa and Saboy was usually dubbed in almost all of her Italian movie, which that was the standard in Italian cinema, is just everybody was dubbed.
Speaker 3: That they even recorded on set audio is a remarkable thing.
Speaker 12: Yeah, but we get to hear her actual voice in this cut, which she is bizarrely dubbed in the Guccioni one, and she's brightish. I can understand dubbing like some of the Italian actors because some of them, even the great is it Ariana Asti, who's Macro's wife. She brilliant actress, has a very respectable career in art. House had to speak her lines phonetically English without her language. But is this great voice? Her voice is fine? Why she tucked in this? It's like when you watch Star Crash and it's like, why is Joe Spinea right by Joe.
Speaker 3: That New York thing going on?
Speaker 12: It's gorgeous.
Speaker 3: I know, I know, I love him. That's half the ticket is his voice.
Speaker 12: But yeah, his voice is the ticket. Babe, the other half.
Speaker 3: His physicality is fantastic.
Speaker 12: It's everything about Joe. I'm like testice for Joe Spanl now. But but it's so cool. And I feel like Teresa Savoid is one that gets overlooked, and I think she holds her own. I think she really does. Drew Silla, she of course lovely look that and nets. Everybody focuses on that when you read everything. Oh the girl that played I'm China. She was known for playing these nip beets in Italy, but she has quiet strength. She is totally the rock. Driustilla is that one rock of lot, like of the rock of a lot of I'd really just say that that Brett Michaels show, Yeah he does. This is ridiculous. Why did they Why did I get that commentary? It's amazing they let me do anything but mentioning Brett Michaels over here. But You'restilla really is like the rock and she is definitely. They think the biggest thread to sanity were Caligula. And what's interesting is and it's you can get that depression here, but it sest was a big no no in ancient Rome. I know some people are like, oh, those Romans were decadent. The decadences depends on how you went to find it, but they weren't that decadent. And Sest does a major taboo in almost every culture for reasons, which is why she's, yeah, we're not going to marry, we're not Egyptian. If it's and and it's interest because there's that parallel with Osiris and Isis. They give the mythology, they it's an interesting the relationship has that Egyptian way. He keeps mentioning Egypt and there's a lot of Egyptian and sort of references there, which I.
Speaker 11: Think is cool, which in this version feels like there's more of it. I remember references in the theatrical Guccioni version to Isis and things like that, but it just didn't seem like he was that much of an Egypto file as he is in here, where he's just, oh, Egypt's so great, Maybe I should just move to Egypt.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the whole wedding scene with the Pharaoh and the Nubis and all that, and then even when he gains power, he's just like, and the worship of Isis shall be legal. I'm like, okay, great, Yeah, that wasn't there before.
Speaker 11: And that's completely normal, its historical when that the Romans took over everything. They stole the whole pantheon from the Greek, so it's like they had a tendency to incorporate all this stuff.
Speaker 3: Which makes it so hard when you're playing Jeopardy and you think Aries and it's actually Mars and you're like, oh, they said Greek and that Roman or vice versa. Yeah, same damn guys.
Speaker 11: Same guys, different names exactly.
Speaker 3: So I just triple checked and no, death of Why am I blanking on the guy's name Raculus? Death of Proculus? And the version that I'm watching right now, which is called the Ultimate Cut and it says twenty twenty three in Parenz after it, but we'll see.
Speaker 12: So I'm gonna make up. I gotta find that because now I'm like, did I again build right? Not to keep this? But I god, damn, what is it with researching this?
Speaker 3: Fucking they make it impossible for us.
Speaker 12: So you guys mentioned the whole title of the Ultimate Cut at this film having the title, do you feel like that maybe the hindrance for some people? It's almost it's like, how for Coppolo when he made his version Dracula. He didn't call it Francis Ford Coppola's Dracula. He called it bram Stokers.
Speaker 3: But there was a lawsuit about that, if memory serves, that's why he had to call it bram Stokers, and that's why they had to call it Mary Shelley's Frankenstein. Or it might have just been like, let's do mary Shelley's frankensn But I remember there was a lawsuit around one of those two.
Speaker 1: Fascinating.
Speaker 12: I didn't know that, But I always had a problem with that title personally, even though they're film. That's a film I do have some love for, But it's it's due that ain't what's that. It can never be star He's dead. It's your version, and that's fine.
Speaker 1: That's fine.
Speaker 11: It's always told that whenever they put the author above the title, that's a warning every movie that's like the title the author, and then that those movies are terrible.
Speaker 3: So the only exception for that rule is John Carpenter's whatever.
Speaker 11: Yeah, but it wasn't a book. I was talking about the novelists. That's true, you know, Yeah.
Speaker 3: Because I know Brass had a lot of problems when it was like gorve Dal's. But he did make a good part. If you take nine directors and all give them the same script, you're gonna get nine different movies. It's not a writer's medium, it's a director's medium. So that's why he was gorby Dal's name off of there. Also, I think after a while they were having a pissing match, going back to Guccione's love of golden showers.
Speaker 11: Yeah, please have a pissess.
Speaker 3: I would be live it you.
Speaker 12: He's all lay in the tub, go ahead, he did that. Man had some plastic in that drack. He was ready. He is the boy Scout a p.
Speaker 4: Scouts pes.
Speaker 12: That's also a new band name. But now the Gorviadal struggle is definitely thinging. I love him if some of Malcolm McDowell's comments about Vidal too, and that script is hilarious. It is. It almost made me feel pet bring Verdal's roast.
Speaker 11: I'm going to take a slight jog here speaking of Gorvadale. Did you know that there was a Gorfadale biopic?
Speaker 3: I did not know that. Who's playing Garde?
Speaker 11: Kevin Spacey?
Speaker 10: Wow?
Speaker 11: And when all the awfulness of Kevin Spacey came out Netflix said, we just bought a fifty million dollar paper.
Speaker 1: Weight dead over there.
Speaker 11: So there was a film that was made, I think it was in twenty sixteen or seventeen, and then they put it on the shelf.
Speaker 3: So is it right next to Batwoman or Backgirl?
Speaker 11: It seems like it was a tax right off. But I've seen images from it, but they're like, yeah, that's never getting released. Oh man, wow, because because I guess in the screenplay there's some note to Gorvidal and his dalliances with young men, and of course Spacey and his oh that's awkward.
Speaker 12: There's method acting, and then there's just why it does comfort that becomes very loud discomfort.
Speaker 3: I want to know what you guys think about the end of this movie, because that was one thing I paid attention to quite a bit going back, and I guess I rewatched the vital version or the Guccioni version via watching it on my screen, so that's why I'm also familiar with it. But I was more paying attention to the ultimate cut and seeing what the differences were. But the end of this I'm okay with it, but I really like the end. Some of the end images in the Guccioni version. I really enjoy the whole thing of the washing of the blood and just like, how quickly we're going to cover up this crime. This one does have the let's put the crown onto Claudius and just oh, hey, al Claudius, and that's pretty much where it ends. I really like the whole idea of the cleaning up of the colligular crime and then Incitatus coming out and running around and then taking off, and I was just like, Okay, yeah, I want a little bit more. I felt like they could have put both of those together. But I don't know if again, if that's I'm only using things from this ninety six hours of footage and I'm not going to use anything that was used before, or what.
Speaker 11: The ending for me, the two different endings, it's the theatrical Guccioni cut feels like I was talking about before, Remember the thing about the bully who wants to be killed. There's almost a feeling that I get from the way McDonald plays it in that cut when he says scrotum, he's happy that this is happening. It's finally it's arrived. And in the other version, the new one, it feels a bit more somber in his play, and it's much bloodier. And the thing that I do like when I thought about it politically, and we talk about this, is that Claudius throughout this entire film is played up as a bigger fool an idiot in this version than he is in the theatrical Guccioni versions. And because of that, when he's finally crowned by the kingmakers, by the power brokers to keep these emperors, it feels much more like, Okay, we've made our new choice, and it's you know, I get this feeling that it's like, even if you are Caligular, or even if you are Claudius, that doesn't matter. It's the people who are the power brokers that run the show, and eventually they'll get tired of you and they'll get rid of you and they'll bring the new guy in. So I really like the ending in this one because with that it felt much more definite. As opposed to the theatre Guccioni version, where he was just like, all right, just throw the crown on him and go this, it felt much more like hail and bring him out, and there was more to do with it, just.
Speaker 3: To keep in I keep going back to those scripts, and the July seventy six to one has Proculus stabbing Coligilia in the chest. Colliguilia goes, I live, and then one of the hard steps of Zonia she falls dead. One of the guards picks up Julia, their child and bashes her head on a wall, which is very upsetting. And no matter which version you watch of this, and then we've got Caligula, I still live, and Carrera hurry towards Caligular sword drawn. Caligulia is now struggling to get to his feet. He is half e wrecked when Carrea viciously slashes his crotch. Colegular howls and pain. Then Longina stabs again, and that's it. That's the end of the script. It's the other one from October of seventy five war. You get more of the idea around the aale, this new Caesar, Hail Claudius, and you get the death mask of Caligula at the very end, and the last shot is long shot. The funeral procession has now become fantastic, and the line which should have ended realistically with Caligula seems to be an endless procession. Of grotesquely masked figures of tyrants. And they really talk about those death masks so much in this version, because even at the very beginning of the script there's a little note that says, let's see note. The audience needs to know two things that the film cannot make clear short of using cards. One, that Caligula and Tiberius were actually first century AD Roman emperors, and that the events shown in the film took place pretty much as recorded. Second, that the Roman funerals figures wearing the death mask of ancestors would proceed over the dead body. This information could be supplied in voiceover while the camera reveals the ruins of the palace of Tiberius and Caligula as they look today, as well as the Forum, Senate House Circus Maximus, not to mention the still extant underground corridor where Caligula was murdered.
Speaker 12: God, that's incredible. Yeah, Like that takes me think of some of the imagery we've seen that the nightmare at the beginning. Yeah, and the animation that would have been a very cool with all the death masks. I would have enjoyed that immensely. I did just say one thing, whatever version is it is brutal, the brutality, and there is like such a sadness because honestly, what crimes has Sesonia done? What crimes has that kid done? That little girl? What has she done wrong? The giant, you love the giant, he's just doing a job. And it's just the innocent always suffer. But that's how they would But that's also a very true to form back then. It's like you would kill, you'd often want to kill the family, so there couldn't be a little one waiting to take place. That's yeah, yeah, so it's brutal. Actually it's funny because we don't really get it in the film, but Tiberia's for ally Counts was a very reluctant emperor for that reason that he didn't want He really didn't want to be emperor, and was that very beloved. But obviously I had a lot of laws. But you can see where somebody wouldn't because it just seems like a way to just basically put a big target on yourself.
Speaker 11: Let them hate me as long as they fear me.
Speaker 3: Well, that's supposed to be the name of the documentary coming out about this is let them hate Me.
Speaker 12: It'll be interesting It's one of those things like when you see like a great documentary on a band that has a lot of like animosity and then some of the people are gone. Is what are the logistics of getting a truly objective story. It's gonna be tricky in my opinion, But I'm interested, I'm curious, I'm hopeful. I don't know. It's it's like this film, right if I'm curious and I love it, I have hesitations, I have sadness about it. Again, It's like, how many because other films that have like different edits and got play films have gotten tampered with that's far from now you ready to look at Eric bon Stroheim and what happened to Greed and see that? But how many films have repercussions years after the fact for people, even researchers like you're talking about or she were they It's like, he's not going to finish this book. That's it's just it's bonkers to me, Like it's I can't think of any work of art that has that just showed you about it. It's almost there's some bad ju ju with it. I don't know if I believe in that is a proper thing with this film, but there is there's something to it that's I think that's what also fascinates me about it is what is it? What is it with this? What it's all? It's like The Kennedys minus the brain worm.
Speaker 1: But it won't stay dead.
Speaker 12: What if we all kissed under the parasitic brain worm?
Speaker 3: Speaking of animosity and tampering, let's go ahead and take a break and we're going to play a pair of interviews. First up, we'll hear from Caroline kirkandall the precedent of Penthouse Global Licensing. And after that we'll hear from our old friend Alexander Tushinsky, director of Mission Caligula. Right after these brief messages.
Speaker 10: Hello everyone, this is Malcolm McDowell.
Speaker 6: I just want to say that this is a request to listeners of the Projection Booth podcast to become patrons of the show via Patreon dot com, p A T eo n dot com slash Projection Booth.
Speaker 10: That's pretty simple. I think you can do that.
Speaker 6: It's a great show and Mike he provides hours of great entertainment. So now it's time to give back my little drovies. Settle down and take a listen. And have a sip of the old molocco, and then you'll be ready for a little of the old in out, in out, real hard show.
Speaker 1: Bye bye.
Speaker 3: Tell me a little bit about you and your background, because you seem to have a very interesting background, especially all of the positions that you've held over the last even just ten years.
Speaker 15: Yes, unconventional, I suppose it's a word for it. I joined my father's company out of grad school in twenty sixteen. He had the Hospitality Management Company headquartered in New Orleans. At the time, he owned and operated nightclubs and restaurants, and shortly thereafter he bought into the Penthouse Club brand. He purchased the trademarks for the Penthouse Club. We purchased the entire licensing division from the former owner of Penthouse, Kelly Holland, and worked with her for a while running the licensing division. Unfortunately, Kelly file for bankruptcy. We found ourselves in a position to want to work positively with the new owners to maintain some semblance of control over the marks and ensuring that the brand continued to evolve. We were really fortunate and that they were very receptive to working with us. Ultimately, we ended up pooling the trademarks we had purchased related to the club with the other Penhouse marks and assets, including Caligula, but also things like Omni into one joint venture which is Penhouse Global Licensing, despite non as formal licensing experienced.
Speaker 12: I though, I started to head that up and here we are.
Speaker 15: However, many years later, when was this Do you remember when we originally purchased the marks? I think that was in twenty seventeen, and then a year and a half later, like mid twenty eighteen, I think the bankruptcy happened and we formed a JB.
Speaker 3: How involved were you with this colligular project and how did you become aware of it?
Speaker 15: When the bankruptcy happened and we inherited all these assets and we started talking about what were potential money makers for this new Penhouse. Colhila came up, and I know that Kelly at one point had attempted to bring the movie back in some capacity and unfortunately just never had the funding for it. So it had been something that others had been thinking about. One of my colleagues knows Tom Nagovin personally their family friends from years ago, and he said, well, if you guys are serious about restoring the film, then you have to speak to Tom. There's nobody better than to talk to him about it. So we did, and Tom pitched what was originally just a film restoration, because all the materials had been stored in storagelockers and other places in la for decades without anybody you've had checking in on them, and so jump, let me just see what's there and then we can go from there and see what we can do. So what started as an archival attempt to maintain the integrity of the original film assets turned into what we now know is this incredible reconstruction of the film. I didn't really become involved with the project. I know Tom, and the first time i'm him was at the la Art Show. We displayed a bunch of photographs tinto brass photographs and stuff like that at the Laar Show. And then this was pre COVID and COVID hit and Tom got very busy were he on the restoration And then I didn't really hear from him, not that I needed to, but he was just busy doing his thing. He did a great job of maintaining updates and letting everybody know how things were going and what was constable. The project did take longer than we thought. We weren't really sure what we were going to get at the end of it. But I remember getting a phone call from Tom, I think it was probably February of twenty twenty three, saying, listen, I finished the movie and I think it's going to go to can What do we do? And so that was really when I started to get involved, and since then have just helped him manage all the post production involved with bringing a finished film to market, getting in the hands of agents and distributors and all that fun stuff.
Speaker 3: I think you're talking about licenses and rights, and now you probably have to worry about global rights and who sells it and who shows it. The ins and outs of that must be incredibly tough.
Speaker 15: The learning crew was very steep. I'll say that, even though I did have a fair amount of licensing experience at that point, the film world is very different. But we got really lucky and that Tom, through his personal connections, got the film in the hands of Goodfellas, which is an international film agency. So they had read to represent the film, and so we gave it to them and they went out and sold it to different territories and have been really wonderful at just managing all of those contracts and hopefully just start sending us checks now every quarder.
Speaker 3: I can't even imagine how much a project like this cost to do the restoration, because you've got all of those different the sound needs to be rescued, the digital effects need to be added. Just so many things add up with a project like this, And like you said, the timeline was span it from where you originally thought it would be.
Speaker 15: Yeah, exactly. I don't have a hard number to give you, And in talking with Tom about it, I know that it was significantly more than what we had anticipated, just because again we thought we were just restoring a film. We certainly didn't understand the post production costs associated with marketing the film and getting it as festivals and showing it to buyers and engaging Malcolm McDowell and stuff like that. But it was and again my first film, so I have no ability to qualify, but I do think it was more extensive than we were planning on and maybe many people would assume just for a generic film restoration.
Speaker 3: I can't imagine it was just Thomas working on this. It must have been other people. He must have had some sort of big team.
Speaker 15: For this, I would think, yes, he definitely did. He Tom ran the project and then outsourced a lot of the technical work through various teams during twenty twenty, so everybody was on lockdown. It was a fortunate, unfortunate thing that these were all people who were already very dialed into working remotely or a different aspect. A challenge to creating a film with people all over the world with very little in person overlap. But yes, I had the pleasure of meeting several people that he collaborated with Dave McKean on the illustrations, the beginning sequences, and some of the musicians who created original scores. I met them in France last year. And like super cool people, a Tom has a rolodex like a million miles long of just super weird, super cool, super fun people.
Speaker 3: So, yeah, how's it been for you getting immersed in this film world?
Speaker 15: Personally?
Speaker 12: I loved it.
Speaker 15: It was challenging in the sense that I really had no idea what I was doing, but it's nice to learn a skill when you have mentors like Tom and Goodfellas and our United States agency that sold the film in the United States, they're called submarine and draft house whoes that are should be or kicked it up the United States. They have been incredible as far as just like educating me and letting me know this is bad, this is good, do this, don't do that. That's been great, But personally I love it. I would love to have the opportunity to do this again. I don't know that Penthouse is sitting on any secret footage of any other films that we could possibly restore, but should be opportunity present itself. This has been really fun and I'd love to do it again.
Speaker 3: The movie is infamous, and I know there were a lot of lawsuits that happened after it came out while it was being made. Was all of that settled? Did you have to worry about old grievances and old claims to things or had that all been worked out?
Speaker 15: Technically speaking, we didn't really have to worry about anything because so much had happened, just like legally from a bankruptcy standpoint, since before and after Bob Guccioni passed away that there were no legitimate claims to any of the assets. But there's a lot that goes into managing relationships with people, and it's a very small world. Guccioni's world is very small, the Tom's world is very small. So we wanted to be really respectful of everybody, especially the actors and members of the crew who are still alive, and so we did, unfortunately run into an issue with Tinto Reth, the original director. His estate has a lot of food out there they're claiming they have right to which they don't. In order to bring a film to market, Goodfellas, our agency, our distributors did require a lot of contractual information, basically testifying to the fact that we own the film and going back through the chain of title and just looking at the many different ways that it had been moved around from Penthouse entity to Penhouse entity, to the new owner of Penhouse and another new owner of pen House. It was a lot, but lucky for us, a lot of people within kind House love to keep paper records and stuff, so we did a lot of scaring and a lot of combing through old files and old folders, but we have a pretty robust archive at this point of everything from me contracts to photographs, whatever it is. I think Tom probably used like fifty percent of what we had to make the film. It was an immense amount of stuff.
Speaker 3: That whole chain of title thing must have just been a knight. At least you had the records.
Speaker 15: Yeah, yeah, No, we were able to provide everything they needed, all the ctrifications for all the different countries. We feel very confident in our rights and are hopeful that in some way we'll be able to continue to use Coligula and colicgular related assets going forward. Not necessarily to make another film, but maybe there's just been off show. Maybe there's some way to keep that storyline, keep those characters alive.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I had heard that Thomas was talking about doing a documentary about this as well.
Speaker 12: Yeah.
Speaker 15: I think in a perfect world we would have four Tom's and he would be able to do all of this simultaneously.
Speaker 10: And you can.
Speaker 15: Imagine there's so much about understanding. What's great about this reconstruction is understanding what a dumpster fire the first one was so the idea to do this documentary that really takes you deep into the everyday.
Speaker 12: Life on the set.
Speaker 15: It explains the headspace of all of the creatives back then. It gives you such a better understanding of what was happening rather than just this is a film that was made in nineteen seventy nine. This is the film that was made in twenty twenty three. Comparing contrast, I'm hopeful that it happens. Tom is, He's one guy. I know, we like to pretend that he didn't have a family or any other commitments. For the past year or so, we've really monopolized his time. I do hope that one day we'll have a documentary that goes into more detail on all the drama, all the juicy bids related to the original film.
Speaker 3: You were speaking about some of the other potential properties reserves. Bob Guccioni was also involved in some other film productions. Didn't he have something to do with even like Chinatown?
Speaker 15: If he did, I have no idea tell him, honestly, would know, just because Tom is like the math of repository for all information related to Bob Guccioni's life. Unfortunately, I have no idea. I'm sorry.
Speaker 3: I didn't expect that you become the be all and all expert on Bob Guccioni's life.
Speaker 15: Everybody has a story about Bob right and at a certain point you just have to appreciate that everybody's lived history is their lived history, and where the truth lies is somewhere in between everybody's memories and their stories. And I personally have not spent enough time with those people so that you can begin to say, Okay, I think this is the commonalities because everyone loves to talk about what an eccentric he was, and how extravagant he was, and just all the way in which he was on either end of whatever spectrum, just good bad, nothing even killed her in between. So yeah, the truth about all that, I don't know, but I know Tom. It's been something that Tom's been interested in for a long time, and he's probably the better person to ask.
Speaker 3: Singer. Remember, you have background working for the International Narcotics and Law Enforcement Bureau, so to go from that side of the law to I know, penhouse is legal, but it's stealing in sin. But it must be just an interesting contrast between those two.
Speaker 15: Yes, there's really no easy explanation for that other than I was one of those people that didn't really know what I wanted to do with my life, and I felt like going to grad school would answer that question. Instead, it just prolonged making a decision by a full two years and a lot of money. By the time I had graduated, my most recent experience, I had been working for the State Department on a Central American regional security team that did a lot of work in drug trafficking, human trafficking, stuff like that, which I find academically incredibly interesting. Professionally, I had a hard time figuring out how to maintain the idea of working for the U. Not that I have anything against the US government, more so it was just being a very small cog and a big wheel and having just didn't seem like the best use of my time. I also had lived in Costa Rica for three years prior to grad school, and I really wanted to move back to Central America. Staying in DC just didn't feel like I was going to be able to do that. But anyway, the truth is I couldn't get a job after grad school. I couldn't find one that I really liked and that within My dad came to me, and he was in a position with his company where he had spent the past thirty years working exclusively in nightclubs, and rather than thinking about retiring and taking a step back, he did the exact opposite of what probably most meant his age would do, and wanted to figure out a way to diversify within the hospitality space and grow the company. So he had just purchased a restaurant. I had some international business experience, so I thought, maybe there's a way to turn this into something that I find interesting and it also gets me a paycheck. And yeah, the adult side, it was shocking in a lot of ways, mostly because I didn't even know what my father did until I was like laid into high school. Not in a naive way, just in the way that kids don't really care how their parents are spending time. But when I did find out, I think if I had been a guy, may had been different. I would have thought all that, it is super cool and I want to do this every day, And I didn't. I just wasn't interested. But then I got into it, and eventually it just becomes I see boobs every day, and I have a penhouse of aversion from Germany sitting on my desk and it's just a naked woman. And then there for six weeks, every time someone who walks in my office, it's like a jump scare and they're like oh, and I'm like, oh, sorry, I guess I should cover that up at this point. It doesn't really affect me the licensing part. There are aspects of the licensing that are super interesting. Trademark law, ip law, it doesn't it doesn't really matter what what kind of marks they are what. Therefore, that all is very interesting. Every day is different, and I think this colligular thing is a great example. When we got involve with the new owners of Penhouse, we had no idea that our office or me personally would be managing the release of the film. Could not have imagined and here we are. So every day is different.
Speaker 3: So how about you? What's next for you?
Speaker 15: I'm really excited about a potential club deal we have in London. I never made it back to Central America, so now I want to move to Europe. That's my new goal. We're going to visit London a couple of weeks. We've got a site picked out. Fingers are crossed that it works out, and then hopefully I would spend some time out there opening that up, and who knows, seeing what weekends you overseas. If I can find a legitimate way to extend my stay beyond the club opening, that would be nice. But It's an interesting time to being in hospitality in America, in the world, really, it's especially in New Orleans. We've got a lot of exciting things coming up. The Super Bowls here next year, so we're super pumped for that. But it's been a really slow summer. We're seeing a lot of people are getting squeezed and so they're spending fewer dollars out at restaurants at bars, and we're doing a lot of internal kind of questioning what does this model look like, Can we sustain things like this or do we need to make some changes.
Speaker 3: Ms kirkandall, thank you so much for your time. This is fantastic.
Speaker 15: You're so welcome. I hope it was helpful interesting in anyway. I'm sorry I don't have the most amount of poligiar knowledge, but if you do have specific questions, I'm happy to go through the penthouse. People were still in touch with employees who a new Bob and stuff like that, So happy to try and dig up more specific stuff for you.
Speaker 3: Alexander Tushinsky we spoke six years ago after the production of Mission Caligular. We talked a little bit after that movie came out, so that there were some things that had happened between when the movie was released and when we actually spoke, but six years what happened right after? Can you tell me a little bit of what the post of Mission Cligular was.
Speaker 1: When Mission Cligular came out, that was quite an intense time for me. I had just discovered a lot of material in the Pentos archive in the prior years. In the film, I presented the project to reconstruct Tinto Brass edit of Calicula in his style and with his participation if he likes so that was a big condition for me that Tinto Buss participates in the Pentos archive. I had discovered Tinto Bass work print of the film, which essentially goes until the scene in which Macro gets killed with this huge killing machine, and my idea was to finish that work print together with Tinto if possible, and there was a lot of excitement after that episode. I decided to upload Mission Curricular on YouTube and Vimeo with the permission of the rights holders, which was a good idea in retrospective because I see a lot of people have watched it. However, the project didn't come to pass. There was a change in ownership with Penthouse and it's basically the project to reconstruct Tinto's work print didn't happen. That's what I can say. And that's twenty eighteen, twenty nineteen, and since then I've done my own films. I've done quite a lot of things since then, but I guess we're talking about the calcular related things. In the immediate aftermath, I did two independent films, Gas Shaped Light and feedsom Lee Even which are somewhat more serious and somewhat more dark than my usual films. And I did this because my mood wasn't the best at that time. And I'm very proud of these films. I'm happy how they turned out. But that's what happened in the immediate aftermath.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I had heard that Penthouse had gone through new ownership and that Kelly Allen was no longer CEO. What do you know about that? Because I had heard Hornhou bought them out, but I don't know if that's just Shorthand for something else.
Speaker 1: First of all, I can say I got along with her very well, and as you can see in Mission Callriqula, she really wanted to make this possible for Tintobus to edit the film again. The way he likes. Then there was a change in ownership as she lost ownership of the company. In one period she was there, I was talking to her and then there were other people basically, and I told him who I was. But my ideas are what the project is. But as I said, ultimately it didn't happen to me. It was honestly a bit surprising when suddenly this such other project was brought up, and at first I thought it's related to what I want to do. I remember I had a few discussions back in twenty nineteen where I made clear I'm only interested to participate in a project where I had two conditions. The first condition is that I'm in charge of digitizing the footage. I had a lot of conversations already when discovering the footage and so on with labs how to do it by degrees. I'm a Bachelor of Engineering Audio visual Media, so I know about that side. And the footage was in a lot of boxes with a sorting that was not that intuitive, but I did know it quite well after a lot of research. So I thought, I have to be in charge of the digitizing to make sure that everything is digitized. Some parts of the film survived in thirty five millimeter negative, some in positive, some in sixteen millimeter. And the second condition was that there is no outside interference on the editing, and that Tintobuss has to be approached that if possible, he has to participate. My big dream was Tintobuss turned ninety last year, and I remember I had the big dream for Tinto Brass's ninetieth birthday to release a film that finally says directed by Tinto Brass in the credits, and if Tinto Brass would have said no, my idea was, I would reconstruct the work print, so I have the first half of the film approximately, I would reconstruct the second half based on my research in a style that I feel is very appropriate to his, and then release that as a reconstruction, as a complete and reconstructed work print, be very honest about what it is. And it was very important for me to try to get Tinto to participate.
Speaker 3: How would you describe Tintobrass's style. You've said before on the show that he was very influential to your filmmaking, and I'm curious how would you define that kind of either editing style or shooting style, like what makes a Tinto Brass film a Tinto Brass film.
Speaker 1: In preparation for this conversation, I did look up my old notes and I found my first notes about the editing of Calicula are from two thousand and seven, when I was eighteen years old. This is a long time and Tinto Buss's editing style has been very influential for me. I think if people want to really get an idea of his style, there's a lot of nineteen sixties films he did, or the films alone Kitty. I think a friend of mine described it as impressionist one that I do agree. There is a lot of quick cuts. To me, it flows very naturally. There is zooms in it that I think today are not that usual in the visual language of most filmmakers, but they are masterfully done. And it's basically these quick edits that form an impression of the scene. I would say very playful. That's a word that I could use. I think there are two films to watch. One is called called kore Inngola in English deadly sweet from the sixties, where he went to London doing a low budget thriller crime film where he's just so playful with the camera. The story is very simple, but the style is elaborate. And then there's a film Salone Kitty, which it did right before Caligula Away. He had a bigger budget. And when I first watched Cinto Bass's films, I was so impressed by the style because I thought that's the style of visuals that I like. I could say I didn't model my visual style after his. It was more I had those ideas and I found him, and that became something I really appreciated. And so when I started doing films, I was very influenced also to use zooms, to use quick cuts, and my own editing style has been sometimes described to be reminiscent of his. So I would say these quick unexpected cuts, interesting camera angles, and an overall flow. Also, the soundtrack often flows very well with the visual. When I think of Salone Kitty, there is a sequence where a song is played on the morning after which kind of reminds me of the film Cabaret bit. And then you can just see how one pan leads the next pan that leads to a zoom, and it all moved very naturally. When I looked at the raw footage for clicular, I'm jumping ahead a little bit in the topic. But when I looked at the raw footage or clicular in the archive, I got to say I was hard to look at it and not be able to edit it immediately. Because Tinto filmed multiple cameras. I personally have used two cameras, and some films he sometimes used more than that. And you can see they cover a scene from various angles. There's a lot of footage that was never intended to be seen that just one camera adjusting or so. You have a lot of zooms that look not very well, but then you have zooms that look really good, and those were the ones that were supposed to go in the film. You can see that. I admired that style very much, and I would say there's one film, The Key, Yeah, that A. Tinto did in the early eighties. It also still preserves this style. He has the style even in his later films, but I would say until The Key, those films really have the most distinct version of his visual style.
Speaker 3: I know it must not be a very pleasant thing to revisit, but I do want to take you back. You moved off of the project, or you just told you're not going to be a part of this. How does that actually go down for you?
Speaker 1: As Basically, I made my two conditions clear. I want to be the one overlooking the digitization to know where everything goes, and the editing has to happen without outside interference. When I said this was it, I was not involved in it. I made clear I don't want to be involved in anything that doesn't reconstruct Tintobras's vision. It was a very difficult time. I got to say. It wasn't easy. It wasn't pleasant, though I did a lot of creative things for myself, so I thought something has come out of it. I didn't do nothing. I did do some of my own films, which makes me very happy. But over the years I never really wanted to talk about this at all. And when you contacted me, I contemplate, but I recalled our conversations and I thought, okay, I'll open up about this. But it's still not easy. I can tell you a moving memory that I don't know about told people, but it was a very positive memory. Actually, when I went to Penthouse in la in twenty sixteen to look at the archive, and when I discovered a work print which was a video copy of a sixteen millimeter print that had been cut into thousands of pieces. I explained that in the mission Calicular episode, and then I went to Italy to show it to Tinto and it was I was sa one of the most moving moments I had when since the seventies, for the first time he was able to actually watch his edit, and I was astonished how well he remembered it. That basically, we watch a scene and he finishes a line while it is spoken in the film, and so on. I think he hadn't rewatched Clicular for a long time. The edition that had come out of the theatrical edition has nothing to do with what he wanted. And at that moment, I was so optimistic we could do something. I can tell you my technical proposal I had back then. Because Tinto is born in thirty three, he is now I think he's ninety one already. How the time passes, So I thought, reconstruct this film. The work print was in black and white, but a lot of the color footage still exists, most of it as negative film, but as far as I was able to see, but I wasn't able to see all the boxes. Not all the negatives survived, but there was also positive film thirty five millimeter and some sixteen millimeters reductions for the making of documentary they had done in the seventies, so I wanted to scan everything positive negative sixteen millimeter. This would have been a major part of the restoration. To then find out which is the best footage for each individual shot, then take the sixteen milimeters black and white work print that I had a video copy of and reconstruct that in color. And that my idea was, I would do a preliminary assembly of the rest of the film in the way that I feel Tinto would like because it's such a technical process, going through different materials and then visiting him for as long as it takes for a few hours per day to sit there with him. He can say any changes, he can say anything should be different, and so on, with hard drives of all the footage until the film is done. And I always had the feeling, if we get to do it that way, he would be the hero. Obviously it would be his film coming out. I would be an assistant editor and those in the know would know what I had done. But I would have been really happy about that, I got to say. So that was my hope and Tinto is still around, but I think what happened really wasn't easy for any of us. Let's put it that way.
Speaker 3: I'm surprised that Tinto is even able to speak these days, because I just read how dement it he is in every article all about this new cut that's come out. That's the new producer of the Ultimate Cut, Thomas at.
Speaker 1: Nigovin, Oh, what does he base it off? Has he met Tinto?
Speaker 3: He bases it off of a documentary from twenty thirteen called Is Tinto Brass?
Speaker 1: And he says the documentary would claim that Tinto has mental problems.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've read that time and again at least four or five sources.
Speaker 1: It was present when Is Tinto Brass had its world premiere at Venice Film Festival in twenty thirteen. Tinto told me about it, and then I got an invite and I watched Is Tinto Brass sitting in Venice at the film Festival, sitting right behind Tinto, and Tinto was happy, and I was also invited to the after parties. Tinto would talk to people approached him. It was actually quite a funny experience because sometimes people thought I didn't know Tinto, and they try to introduce Tinto. Oh why are you trying to introduce to me? We know each other. To me, this is a very bizarre claim, is the way is Tinto Brass that I watched in twenty thirteen at the Venice Film Festival makes no such claim. Tinto talks about his life, talks about all these things. He was sitting right in front of me. I was sitting in the row behind him. Then at a party people talked to him. Maybe they changed the film after the world premiere, but I doubt it. And I got to say when I talked to Tinto, when we talked about his ms and all that his memory was so good. And I remember when I first met with him, it was I believe twenty twelve, and I was so excited. I showed him some papers I had written about his film Near was Ubianco and I showed him the Calligular Thesis, and we talked about so many things. And then there was this retrospective of his works that happened at an independent film festival in Hollywood, where I actually had the idea and told the festival people, Hey, wouldn't it be an idea to approach Tinto? So I had a lot to do with him. His memory was so oh good. When we talked about the work print of Caligula, I was amazed how he was able to finish the lines that are spoken. He gradually got more excited about this as it went on, and there's a person approaching the scene, and right before the person is approaching, he was like, oh, now this one is coming in, and so on, and he was happy to see the edits again and so on. Once. I wouldn't go around making any claims about the man's mental health based on I don't even know what it's based on. So the film I saw didn't make any claim in that way. If it would have made such claims, Tinto would have reflected who was sitting there. And I remember he was welcomed as the Maestro of Cinema at Venice Film Festival and to meet was so excited to be a guest there at the screening, and those were good days.
Speaker 3: I mean.
Speaker 1: I had a lot of conversations with Tinto over the years about curricula and various levels of detail. I also did some unpublished interviews with Tinto. I did one on camera which could have been published at some later points or so I would say Tinto has always been very clear when speaking about his films, when speaking about his art, I'm not in a position to judge anybody's mental capacities. As a visitor and friend, I went there and nothing weird occurred to me. He was just a kind, old gentleman who loved talking about the films he had done and who took interest in what I'm doing. Just a nice man. I didn't know if it's anything, so to me, this is all very bizarre to claim Otherwise.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it sounds like he was very excited by the idea of finally being able to revisit Caligula and be able to make this the project that he wanted.
Speaker 1: When I was eighteen, I felt so intense about this. I still feel intense about it, though over the years I tried not to think so much about it. But basically I thought, with Salon Kitty Tin, who had a bigger budget and he was able to use his cinematic language. With Caligula, he had an even bigger budget and even more sets and more actors who were internationally famous, what kind of film he could have done there, with his style, with its editing. So I got very excited on two thousand and seven and I wrote my thesis. It stood Gout Media University, who actually had a media in twenty eleven my bachelor thesis. I updated it over the years and on the internet there is a most recent version which is a few years afterwards. Then I got in contact with Tinto. I met one of his friends at an LA film festival and he put me in touch. I gave Tinto a call. I was so nervous, and we met in Rome. It was beautiful and we talked about his sixties and seventies films. He did a film called drop Out and one called Labakanza, which I had never seen, which I wanted to prepare for the festival in La, which he was very happy to do, and gradually I brought up the caligular topic. There is a documentary around the time that the Imperial Edition DVD box that was done in two thousand and seven. I remember I was excited of getting it and underwhelmed and I watched it because it was still largely the same cut, though the pieces of the word print there were interesting. And on that documentary called I Believe the Orgy of Power, Tinto is saying that he really has no interest in revisiting Clicula, and that was his stance for a long time. When I first brought it up, he was skeptical, and understandably, Then I showed him a reconstruction I had done I had attempted with the footage available at that point, which got him more positive about it. And I did an interview with him that was shown on the Internet and people got excited already in twenty thirteen. I believe what he said, if he can get access to the entire footage, it has to be done. It has to be I think he used even these words, it has to be done, something like that, and though it is a very delicate topic, of course. And then when I got in contact with Kelly Holland, which was say a big coincidence. I got in contact with her shortly after she had acquired Penthouse, and she was so open to this project. She allowed me to go into the archive to actually see what they have at in Mission calicular. We see how it goes. Because I went to Penthouse in twenty sixteen and I was given a box with a few video tapes basically saying, look, this is the material we have about Calicula. Some hard distant videotapes which are basically the masters for the Imperial Edition DVD box set, and then calling around of your people and so on. It was quite exciting. We were able to locate the warehouse where the entire raw footage was stored boxes up on boxes Mission calicular, you can see the pictures I took on those days. It so was such excitement. It felt like Christmas and Birthday and all kinds of celebrations in one. And you know there is, for example, the Russ Lloyd cut off a film which is not of such great interest to me personally because I want to reconstruct Hinto's vision. But for example, when Tinto started editing Russ Lloyd and the team apparently started editing the film parallel to his, which she actually wasn't okay with from my knowledge, And when Tinto wasn't able to continue editing, Ross Lloyd finished his Rosslloyd cut. But then the producers in the seventies didn't like that cut and shelve it and had Nino Barakli I believe, come in to do some more editing. And there were just cans with the Ross Lloyd cuts in black and white thirty five millimeter film. I was thinking, if I did this film, if we succeed with this project, we would include so much bonus feature. It would be the reconstructed hopefully their director's cut. If Tinto would participate and he has the last word in editing, will do Tinto buses director's cut on one disc. Another disc will be the Ross Lloyd cut just for completionists and completely unknown edit of the film. I found a silent thirty five millimeter and white footage for the Rosslloyd cut. The audio must have been somewhere else. Basically, these boxes were packed, and I would say, if you looked at them as an outsider, it wouldn't make so much sense. But if you knew the production history, it started to make sense to me. These boxes were packed chronologically. They first packed the footage that they were done with at this point and so on. That was impression I got. So I thought, we'll do the Tinto vas cut hopefully if he participates, then we do the Rouzlloyd cut as a bonus feature. Then we might do the nineteen eighty R rated cut. Was it eighty or eighty one? Eighty two eighty three? Sian So I had the idea to do all these things to add so much bonus material. There has always been these rumors about a longer cut off Caliculus greening in Caun. I'm not an expert on those rumors, because, as I said, I was mostly interested in the production of the film, not in the post production that happened when Tinto couldn't continue. But I believe that it might be the footage that was cut out of the con version. To my knowledge, though I never confirmed, the impression was that at the trade fair in cann they did show a longer version of the film which included more hardcore pornography Bob Gucci owners shot after the fact, so from my understanding, it would be basically the regular theatrical version plus more pornography. But I didn't get to watch that. An exciting and at the same time sometimes somewhat frustrating experience, because when you handle thirty five millimeter film you have to have specialized machines to even view it, and I only had access to such machines briefly, so I was able to unspool some roles for a foot or two and look at the pictures get an impression on was on it. Then I was able to watch a few reels, which was really interesting. Now combining multiple visits to the archive. This the process of film preser is so interesting, especially when you think about things like the audio, and that you have so many things around audio. You've got the production audio, you've got the ADR recordings, you've got sound effects music. The music in the version of Caligi that we've seen is so different than when I'm sure that Tindergrass wanted and just to be able to bring back that score would have been a real triumph. When Tinto was in the midst of editing Callig You Love Fjorenzo Kapi, the composer, was assigned as the composer for the film, and Fiorenzo Capi had done music for other films of Tinto already, for example Saloon Kitty. When you watch Salon Kitty, a lot of the soundtrack. The film is set in the late thirties early forties, and the soundtrack sound so period correct. For a long time, I tried to find the waltz from Salon Kitty, until I realized it's an original composition for the movie. By now soundtrack has been released and from an understand ending when Tinto did the film, there were some temporary soundtracks in place already. I was able to locate them also, which just gave the rhythm for some scenes that had choreographies at them, and then the final soundtrack would have largely been done after the film is edited. That's why I thought I want to have control over scanning and digitizing this archive, because it was such a complex combination. Of course, we have the final film with the final sound mix as it stands, where you we have voices and music and everything together. Then we have the individual redubbing reels. I remember a lot of them where not in the best condition. They have full code thirty five millimeter magnetic film, basically like a cassette tape, just thirty five millimeter wide with perforation. They gave off a very vinegary odor, which is a sign that they're decomposing, but those can usually be played back one more time if you bake them at a high heat. So the idea was to also digitized the entire audio and the onset audio as well. Though in a lot of Tinto Brass's films, in the Italian films of the seventies, the onset audio wasn't recorded with the same care you would record it these days, because oftentimes it was expected that the film would be redubbed, and mostly it's just a temporary track to have a reference. But the idea was to digitize the onset audio, the post dubbing audio, and so on, assemble the film in the reconstruction I assembled to showed you a few people back then, with the permission of your rights holders, I used some parts of Buono Nikolay's score for the final film, and just some parts I felt are more appropriate, just as a temporary placeholder. When you watch the theatrical cut of Caliculi, it starts out with procoffee of Romeo and Juliet's with this very grand classical music that wasn't supposed to how the film starts at all. I was able to recover struck the opening. It starts with a blurry frame of Calicular's face. You have the credits underneath, and it's very quiet, just a little bit of soundtrack underneath it. And then suddenly it goes and focus on Calicular wakes up from the nightmare. So that's the opening of the film, for example, and that sets off a very different tone. And I remember when I talked about doing this project, coming from a technical background. Also, I was very much thinking how do we approach this. I had the hope that for a lot of the actors we would be able to use their redubbed lines Peter O'Toole for example, Surgeon Gielgud and so on. They came back after the film was edited for its theatrical version to redo their lines. We have very clear deliveries of them, but some of their lines were not redubbed because the theatrical cut got rid of some scenes. So I thought for some other lines, we'll use the on set audio and digitally clean it up. For example, the actor who portrays Mac Crow and the actor Coo Portray's career, they had some strong Italian accents. They are Italian actors, and they were always supposed to be dubbed by some English or American actor, so I thought some party would have to readub But basically my idea was to rescue as much of the original audio as possible, which was also have. This all explains why this would have been a very big and tough project to do, and I'm very perfectionist. When I look at Tinto Brasse's edits, for example, the work print, my idea was to reconstruct it in color from the negative footage down to the last frame. So if a shot survives in the negative, two frames short, I'm going to find that shot in the positive and put those frames back there. So I'm really a perfectionist when it comes to that, And I felt that if Tinto is participating, it's his cut anyway, and if Tinto wouldn't want to participate, and if I reconstruct the film, I would do it as faithfully as I can in his spirit, while always being transparent that this is just an informed reconstruction. And it was important to me that the final result in either case should be a film that represents what Tintobrass was going for in the seventies, as much as it's possible to say. If he had done it himself now after decades, it would have been his film. If I would have done it, it would have been an informed reconstruction.
Speaker 3: What sounds like you would have maybe needed more than just you to do this. What kind of team would you have put together for this?
Speaker 1: I was actually in conversation with some professional technicians and that was a wonderful time. And I don't know in how much detail I can go. I should go. But basically I felt there were some people who were very knowledgeable about this, who were very on board with this. There was a time, even after Mission Caligula, I was very optimistic this could be done to a high technical standard.
Speaker 3: Do you even show that a little bit in Mission Caligula? I remember one sequence particularly where you had the black and white footage and then you do a pushover and you've got the colored footage there, So you're showing split screen of new, pristine looking footage on one side and then the black and white workprint on the other, And I'm just like, wow, if this is a promise of things to come, that's going to be pretty awesome.
Speaker 1: That particular shot was the same in Tinto's workprint and in the released cut. When Russ Lloyd did his cut in the seventies and then Tinto wasn't there anymore. He was dismissed that people after Rouss Lloyd took some shots from Tinto's cut and put them back into the final film. So a few shots that already had in color, but most of it would have been you. I got to say, the Rouss Lloyd cut it wasn't interesting look using a lot of different footage, but I used interesting in a neutral way. I vastly preferred, but Tinto busted.
Speaker 3: You talk about the print that you put together that you were reviewed with Tinto, and with that using still frames, reconstructing things that way inside a mission. Colleagul, though you have the sequence of Caligula and Longiness and everybody else at that big party doing the whole thing of Caesar says. Sign of what you were showing to Tinto is that what you had reconstructed the idea of the stills with the subtitles.
Speaker 1: Yes, the version that I showed him around twenty thirteen was trying to tighten the editing using alternate footage where I found it and where the footage was missing. I used stills and subtitles to give an indication of what was to come. It was ever supposed to be released that way, and it hasn't been released that way. But this was my idea and basically, if I talk about it from my old personal experience, it was a huge puzzle and a hugely exciting research project. Do's imagine when you get the still frames, when you suddenly find the footage in motion and you see it for the first time. It is there are scenes in the film that have waded into intended the film, then Temple of Jupiter in the third act that are not in the theatrical version, where Calicular jumps into all these coins, which is shot in slow motion in the treasury, and so on. And there's one scene which I was able to reconstruct. This was a tough reconstruction. You see it in Mission Curricular on the ship in the end there is this already seen. Everybody is standing completely still when Calcular walks onto the ship and she asks are we ready or so? And then he shouts back and then everyone starts moving. And to reconstruct that first I had subtitles. Then I found in the making documentary I believe of Calicular from the seventies at some point. I believe it was there. My memory is not as clear about this because I've not thoughts about it in five years or so. But in the making of documentary, I believe there was a part where you hear Malcolm McDowell's shouting action and then I realized waits from this shot, so I put it there. And with a lot of scenes, I couldn't wait to have the negatives digitized and the positives if some negative footage is missing, and you shall I explain what negative and positive is to some listeners.
Speaker 3: So negative footage is whenever there's killing or rapes or anything, and positive footage is like when they're outdoors and there's sunshine and things.
Speaker 1: Right. I just imagine if someone assumes that, like what kind of person I would sound? I want to use the negative footage wherever possible. And so all film connoisseurs, I apologize and make you to grief. But when you shoot a film, it's shot up on negative film stock. You know it from photography where for example, the darkest part is white for example in the footage, and then when you make a copy of that negative, it becomes the positive. So when you have a film pri and Queen and Theaters, it's made from a copy of the negative, which is positive, and you can project that, and the process has an inherent quality loss to it, because the negative has the highest quality. A positive copy has a loss in quality. If you make an internegative from a positive copy, it is even grainier. And when Tinto edited Callicula in the seventies, they did thirty five millimeters positive copies of all the footage. You usually don't edit the film with the negative footage initially because when editing you cut it apart, it gets dusty, it gets dirty. You'll put it together, you cut it apart, you work with it, and only when you finalize the edit that's made from positive footage. Then in a lab the negative is edited in a way to conform that on the lab condition so it doesn't get dirty. So the lap is usually the most protected, and in Calicular's case, Tinto edited the film on thirty five millimeter positive material. I'm pretty certain about that. Then his work print was taken apart and the copy was made on sixteen millimeter film. That was the copy of his work print that I found, And I found in the archived a lot of thirty five millimeter positive material left over from editing, and then there were parts of the negative. But a lot of the negative obviously has already cut apart to include parts used in the theatrical cut. So the negative of Calicula, I don't know how much survived. Large parts survived, but I figured when I edit the film, we'll scan everything. The negative footage has the highest resolution, the best quality, so we're going to use that wherever possible. But if Tinto chose a different shot in his work print that's no longer available in the negative footage, or of which maybe only half survives negative footage, we'll go to the thirty five millimeter positive footage. We're going to clean it up and use it substituted from there. It would have meant some shots. It might have been more grainy than others, but I don't think it would have been very noticeable. I felt that a lot of film stock was a much better condition than I had anticipated. To be honest, I was very looking forward to having it all scanned in lab conditions and having a huge database. I was also thinking about all the bonus material. I can tell you a few ideas that were going through my mind at that point because the archive was exciting or suggesting it to Kelly Holland, if I do this project, I might have a blog or a podcast or something where I show weekly discoveries from the archive, maybe parts of the raw footage that are not used in the film but that are interesting, or paperwork or still photos. There were more than ten thousand still photos in that archive, behind the scenes photos and so on. Yeah, because my idea used the negative footage the highest quality wherever possible. I guess there are many proper film restorations done that way, where they source footage from various isn't assemble the best possible version that adheres to the artistic intention.
Speaker 3: I keep thinking of jigsaw puzzles, especially because this was right before the pandemic, and I keep thinking this would have been Alexander's pandemic project, his major jigsaw puzzle that he's doing throughout that time. When you do a puzzle, you've got the box cover and you know what you're aiming for, and it feels like you were the one that designed the box cover. By finding the work print the first eighty four minutes, piecing together all of these other scenes that would have been inside of Tinto's version of it, so it feels like you were aiming at your own box cover. In a way.
Speaker 1: All I did was reconstructing what I could find out about Tinto's version, and of course the first half with the discovery of his work print, that was very exciting because that removed all the guests work except for the beginning I think read to five minutes in the beginning we're missing, but I was able to record construct something already and it worked quite well, and the second half of the film I have an idea of what it was supposed to be like. I also a conversation with Tinto and so on. Though I have to say my vast preference would have been to do something and then go to Tinto and if he has completely different ideas, we throw what I did out and do what he wants. That was my idea. I was actually very exciting to revisit it with him. My idea was to do all the preparation work, and as I said, I wanted to do a preliminary edit of the entire film that I feel works well, where I would just have taken his first eighty four minutes and then the second half with the footage that I found. Because it's such a huge and technical process, you have to go through all the different versions of the material and so on. So that would have been ten hours a day or whatever it takes. When that is done, traveled to him and casually go over it with him day by day. Tell me enough how much I looked forward to that opportunity, and so to me, it was always very clear that Tintobrass has to be involved. He has to be asked. I felt, if he decides not to do it as I said, I would have done a reconstruction that would have been very clear about what it is. But to me, it was important that he should be in.
Speaker 3: After you were removed from the project, did anybody ask you for your box cover? Did anybody say, hey, you already have a reconstruction, can we use this?
Speaker 1: Early on, when this other project started, I got contacted and asked if I could just show the work print or my research. Basically I hadn't taken any physical material from the archive. It was a video copy of file that I had with the permission of Kelly Holland that I restored, and basically I was very skeptical, what is happening here and why would I hand out the research? What's going on? And I mentioned that this is all stuff that I have done over big years, pretty valuable to me. And I had also never gotten paid for anything all my calicular research. I can say I never got paid for anything I did over these years. Everything happened out of idealism. Some people actually reached out to me over the years and asked me if I had made money from this. No, not even mission calicular is monetized. It's for free on YouTube. You can just watch it. And so basically I felt uncomfortable handing out the research the work print without knowing what happens to it. I want to keep Tinto's vision intact. But after my first hesitation, I never got asked again, so no one really tried.
Speaker 3: So what ended up being your pandemic project? What happened during twenty twenty twenty one? As you're in the world being shut down, just like I was, just like everybody listening.
Speaker 1: Was actually there was a project. I'm pretty excited it happened. I did a feature of them called fatzen Legen, which I shot in Paris in twenty nineteen in late twenty nineteen, which was completely improvised, and I felt a little bit as if I'm doing a nineteen sixties film where you just improvise everything on the go, and I came back with so much footage. When the first lockdowns hit, I was in Los Angeles for a film premiere in February of twenty twenty. I returned to Germany on March thirteen or fourteen, twenty twenty, right into the lockdown, but I went straight at home and started to edit the film for about a year. I had so much time to edit it, and I'm very happy how that turned out. And to me, that's for silver lining, because if I had done Caligula, I couldn't have done that film. I would have loved to do Cliicula, but as I was unable to reconstruct Tinto's version, I just thought, okay, whatever, I'll go to Paris. I'll improvise a film, and I'm extremely proud of it. It's largely improvised. I tried to make it as elegant as possible, and when I came back, I had a huge bunch of footage and I myself had no idea how to put it together. It was a digsaw puzzle that developed, and that was my idea when doing it. So the first knockdown I didn't even notice much because I was sitting at home. Anyway, I remember there was a meme someone sent me which was so accurate. You saw a guy in a dark room sitting in front of the computer and it said film editor. Underneath this the same picture film editor in Lockdown.
Speaker 3: In the years since, we did both Caligular Air Mission Caligular episodes of the Projection Booth. I've been inundated with people sending me updates about this new cut, the ultimate cut is what they're calling yet so much so that I've had the black people because it's just I can't be as invested in this as other people are. I'm sure you've experienced the same thing.
Speaker 1: It's actually one of the reasons why I'm so grateful that we were able to do this interview today, because I get so many message and many messages are basically, oh, you have to be so happy. Without you, this wouldn't exist, and so on, and I think a lot of people don't realize some of them might have the mistaken belief that this new cut reconstructs Tintobrass's version. Tinder Boss himself distances himself from that version publicly did so in an article. Then I have those people say, oh, it doesn't matter if you're not involved. It's great that the film comes out in a new cut. But basically, my aim was always to release a film that adheres to the artistic intentions of the director who was assigned to do it, who spent a lot of time to do it, And basically that's why I'm also not interested in the new cut myself, I couldn't want it. I think I don't want to watch it because to me, it's just another version of the film that yet again does something different than what the director aimed for. And I was always when I looked at the post production in the seventies. That's what I can comment on. When Tinto Bus was dismissed, they tried to change the tone. They re ordered scenes, they removed scenes, and so on. They edited it in a slower way, so the entire film felt more so though moving. I wondered why no one had the idea to just go and at least attempt to have the same scene order. We have these scenes that the director shot, put them in the right correct order. Though, I feel any editor working on that material has to have a very deep knowledge of Tinto's films. I can tell when I looked at the raw footage. To me, it's obvious because when you look at my raw footage, it's also very similar. With video, it doesn't matter how much to your film. So very often I just leave a camera running and you have a very beautiful zoom, and then you have a really awkward zoom, which is just setting it up for a different view and so on. And when you looked at the footage of Calicula, I saw all these incredibly beautiful moments, and then I saw these moments that were obviously never meant to be included, which looked awkward, as on the camera operator readjusting his lens and so on, And I felt you have to watch Tinto's films thoroughly to get an idea of how he uses that, which shots to use which. When I watched his work print and when I watched the raw footage, I can tell you that there is a very elegantly filmed motion picture there with Clicula, which just hadn't come out. And I've not watched the new edition. As I said, I don't intend to watch it. But if that doesn't adhere to Tinto Buss's intentions, I think the motion picture that Tinto wanted is still hidden.
Speaker 3: I think I would almost be curious for you to take some of the footage that's been released in this ultimate cut and then go back to your work print again, which I'm sure you have no interest in doing. But there are now more things such as the Caesar says sequences there maybe not edited in the way that Tinto would have done it. But it is interesting to see some of these things that I've only heard about and that you've shown me via Mission Caligula to be able to say, oh, okay, this is the scene. This is what Alexander was talking about, like with Nervo as far as his suicide. But it is interesting now to finally see a little bit more of what you've brought to light in the past.
Speaker 1: There are two sequences that I personally have a high interest in. There is a sequence in the Temple of Jupiter which was cut entirely from the final theatrical film, where Caligula is supposed to sacrifice a bull and instead he kills a priest and then talks about Jupiter. And then he's raising fun where they collect coins and he jumps into those coins. When I reconstructed it, I knew one camera angle of that. I wonder how it's done here.
Speaker 3: Unfortunately it's not done here.
Speaker 1: What how is this Centle of Jupiter done?
Speaker 4: Then?
Speaker 3: I don't remember there being a Temple of Jupiter sequence at all.
Speaker 1: In this new version, we have Calicular declare himself a god in the Senate. Then it cuts to Calicular in Sesonia speaking while Cesnia is massaging him, standing on him and so on. Then we cut to the temple of Jupiter where he replaces the statue's heads with his. I think after that there's a scene where he yes exactly and when he is at a temple of Jupiter replacing the statue heads with his, he is doing his weird dance at the end of the scene, mocking long Ginas. The whole film in the second half gets a more satirical tone, which it felt was brilliantly done by Tinto, because the film is very provocative and somehow also funny in some bits and pieces and horrible in other bits and pieces, meaning very violent and so on. Caligula does this stance in the temple, and then he's raising money for the war on Britain, and then all these people walk around throw coins in this box and Calicula in the little giant. They walk up the stairs and put it in the treasury, and then Caligula jumps into the coins in the treasury, and then we cut to the scene where he's supposed to sacrifice a bull, and instead he kills the priest, and then he goes to bisiness. Treasury is now mine and then he looks Alongina saying, and you want to raise taxes. There's this entire sequence where he replaces the statues' heads, whereas Longinas talks about taxes that could be increased to fund the war, and Calicula says, if we increase a taxi to people won't like it, so takes a treasure instead.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that last bit with the bull and everything is not there. The replacing of the heads is there now, but not this the ball and the gold coins weird.
Speaker 1: The replacing of the head, from my understanding, was so important. Curricula says he's a god. Everyone along with it. He takes the money from the treasury and so on. But with all this kind of more satirical overtones and bits, it's clear that he's not serious about it. He's trying to provoke them. He's now taking the money from the religious cult there and so on, And to me, that was a key sequence. And then this leads to the brothel ship scene, which starts so surreally with everybody standing still and Caliicular walks onto it in short action. This entire block of scenes to me was so important that it was entirely missing from the theatrical cut, because I believe the editors who were hired by Penthouse after Tinto left in the seventies, they wanted to make the film as serious as possible, and they got rid of everything that could be perceived as satirical and so on. So that was my impression I had back then.
Speaker 3: I would say that this new version follows in that more our tone, that it is not very funny at all all. The music is pretty bombastic at times and much more almost like a horror town at times.
Speaker 1: I remember, in the relief theatrical cut, we have the scene of the structure where Tiberius walks around his registructure with all these people performing on various acts, as he calls them living statues. In the theatrical cut there is some very gloomy, eerie sounding soundtrack underneath this entire scene, and it starts with this horrible thing where the soldier is forced to drink the wine and he's killed after Tiberius has returns and so on. And I realized when I looked at what Tinto had done in his work print, you saw shots of musicians with their instrument there. When I reconstructed this work print, I realized would have been in contrast to what we see, but so to say plausible, Tiberius has the structure and his musicians to kind of beat rhythmic Roman music. There while we observe all these things, I watched it with Tinto, we discussed it. There is also one sequence that was very important to me, when Caligula arrives in the beginning the entire scene where Calcula wakes up from his dream, and in the opening, we have the still frame of his face very blurry, very close up. It's a different take than the theatrical cut. And then he's talking about his dream. The camera slowly moves away, and then he arrives on Capri. We have these slaves working on the rocks and Caligula gets carried up. And that was a sequence that was missing in the work print. It just wasn't there. The pieces for the scene were gone, so I reconstructed that from scratch. I did have quite a lot of digital raw footage for that bit, and I discussed it with Tinto all so basically we have what I came up with and what Tinto seemed quite pleased about. Though obviously if you would have been involved, he would have gone over it with me again and he would have done it. Basically, Cliicular walks down this corridor with Nerva. In the theatrical cut, we hear some screams behind the curtain. But the way that I reconstructed it, you actually see a lot of scenes behind these curcles intercut very briefly. Some of them are very violent looking. Some of them are so over the top that they're just taking you out of the illusion, which is part of what was supposed to be done. And you have people running around behind there and getting tortured and so on while Caligula walks up and talks to Nerva. I wonder how was this done? If I may ask.
Speaker 3: Basically to get to create more of a pan across a landscape, and then there's a statue in the foreground, and then it's a dissolve into the hallway where we see Caligula and Nerva coming up. I don't think that you hear the sounds of the screams.
Speaker 1: Oh, that was a very tinto shot. A lot of raw footed there what happens behind the curtains. And I didn't put it into Mission Cliicular largely because I wanted to keep Mission Calcular PG. When I released it, on YouTube and SOW. But also we did that episode. You were so excited about Mission Calicular and you asked me when it can be seen that I briefly afterwards put it on Vimeo and YouTube with the permission of the Right Soldiers. And I'm very happy that this is out because I put a lot of moments from Sindo's work print in there. So when I pieced back Tinto's work print, as I said, it's a black and white sixty millimeter copy that was transferred to video, and I had that video copy. I made a digital copy of that when Kelly Holland was around the company. Then there was also a second work print on a very old video tape, which was almost the final cuts of the film. But there were some black and white shots, and by comparing the splice marks, I realized that they're actually also from Tinto's work print. So I had to piece back the black and white w and I believe in the workprint the first shot from Capri is there where actually we see the slaves working with the rocks and so on. So that was certainly a shot that Tinto wanted in it. When you think of the workprint beginning, is there Caligula waking up and so on. Then when Macro comes in and talks to him, there are gaps. Basically, the workprint got taken apart after Tinto was dismissed, and I believe it was put back into the raw footage and they started to do it, and then someone had the idea, let's make a backup copy. So some shots were already put back into the raw footage, So some shots are missing. So we have a few bits and pieces of arriving on carpri and on the corridor. Once you have Tiberius as pool, the work print is largely complete, and it had a very good flow to it. Some bits and pieces might have to be just streamlined a little bit. Someone in some angle moving an arm, and in the other angle the movement is starting anew. These were things that Tinto would have done when he went over the workprint again. And then when we go to the scene where Proculus is on the machine, on the killing machine, when Macro is killed, it's clear that this was a sequence that Tinto was in the midst of editing when he had to believe basically, when he was dismissed from the editing, because that sequence was largely unfinished. There were the same action repeated from a few shots, so it was clear that Tinto, since the midst of editing, had already gathered the material but couldn't find finish it. So when I did my reconstruction, I reconstructed that scene as much as possible from the work print footage of Tinto, and from that scene on. The rest was done by me in a style that I felt works without access to much raw footage, just as a kind of demonstration.
Speaker 3: Do you feel that Caligula was mad or that he was just screwing around with people and just pushing it as far as he could, just see how far power can go.
Speaker 1: I believe it's actually one of the topics of the film that it's open to interpretation because he's doing a lot of very horrible acts. He could say no sane person would do it. At the same time, I'm not an expert on any of those mental conditions, if it's pychopathic, sociopathic, or whatever. But I feel in the first half of the film he gets absorbed in all the power he has, and the horrible rape scene with Proculus and Livia, I feel is a combination because he just does it and no one dares to interfere. And I feel the film is not so much about Calicular himself. It's more about the structure of power. And I find it interesting he walks into the wedding, he rapes both the bright and the groom, and nobody including them, try to resist or fight back, even though it's obvious that a lot of people are very uncomfortable, and that's just the structure of power. People know he can't do this, he is allowed to do this, and as I see the film, until his illness, he might not be insane that he's certainly a very cruel person without empathy. If this is my interpretation, I'm not talking about what Tinto wanted. And he gets swept up in this power and all these acts that he can do, and then she realizes how everybody just does everything he does, and I feel the second half is pretty anarchist, pretty provocative. He tries to disassemble this whole system. He tries to get more and more outrageous. There's one scene, well, he says, I don't know what else I can do to provoke them at which is very important in the Caesar says, then I think, as these are senators. Well, if there's important, why do they allow me to do all the things? I don't know how to provoke them? And I felt the ending of the film. I've often thought about it. We have this system that we see that's apparently pretty broken because Curricular can do a lot of cruel acts and nobody stops him, and the people were supposed to act in the interests of the people act in their own interest. The senators and so on. They just do anything Clicular does to be safe. And instead of changing that system, they get rid of him and appoint Claudius, who in real life apparently was quite different that in the film. He's portrayed as someone with some mental deficits, and they appoint him to have another figurehead. So the whole system stays. So I had the feeling that Curricular that's not only a feeling. Tint To himself said it. Clicular is a very political film. I find it narratively quite well done, the film that Tinto wanted to do. Basically, it starts and we always have hits that are a bit weird. He has this affair with his sister, but in the beginning he's a scared young man. But again there is something a little bit of or to say narratively, And when we see Tiberius, he tries to behave the best he can and he's scared, So in the beginning I would say there is an element of sympathy. Then when Nerva commits suicide, Calicular is curious, but at the end he gets this aggressive fit where he pushes Nerva under Liar, where he shows Liar with I feel is showing a kind of more cruel side to him. I feel the further we go, the more hints we get. And when Tiberius is supposedly dead and Calicular stands there with the mirror and Fiberius wakes up again, it's an interesting scene. We feel that Calicula wants to strike, but somehow he can, And when Macro arrives, we get an impression again that he's more a likable guy who can't bring himself to kill Tiberias. And I found it interesting in the first half a lot of the things he does when he has Macro arrested, even though he has Jamelis arrested, it could be in the frame work of that cruel world there be justified because to him it's killed or be killed in this society that's depicted in the film. Macro had Siberia's killed, maybe Macro will kill Calicular if Curricular doesn't go the way he likes with Jamelus in his view, removing a threat to his legitimacy and so on, and talking about the film not about real life. My ethics and real life are different. In the film, it might appear from the character's perspective more justified. Then he does these things like the rape. I feel the rape. That's a real culmination to me. It's a fever dream of power, and it goes to his head and he just becomes cruel to people just because he can.
Speaker 12: I feel.
Speaker 1: The fever in itself is not as important as the sequence where he then walks through the streets of Rome, which is actually one of my favorite scenes, although Tintom Denver got to edit it. But that scene where he walks through the streets of Rome for the first time he actually sees the people of Rome. It's first encounter with the actual people. And though I interpret it, he realizes that all these senators around him, they don't act in the interest of these people there. It's a separate world. They just like to stay in power. So he does one outrageous thing after the other to provoke them and to shake up this entire structure. And so i'll talk about mad or not. I think it's a provocative political film. That's what it is, and the main character is serving that provocative political message. Basically in the end, she does all he can to provoke these senators and so on, she acts mad in front of them, but they don't dare to dispose of him, tell him no or so. Instead they just have him killed and replaced by someone they are not brave enough to confront someone.
Speaker 3: That's something I hate to be the very bad news again. Possibly, but the sequence when merv kills himself in the ultimate cut, there is no shot of Caligula pushing him under. So there's an odd sequence where, nervous in the pool, he has given more of the talk that you've talked about, as far as it's not that sequence that we see in the finished film. It is much more of him calling out Tiberius. But Tiberius does put his hand forward, his fist forward, and I think that what's missing is maybe Nerva kissing the ring, because it looks like he's holding out his fist for Nerva to do that, but you just get a close up of Peter O'Toole's face looking at Malcolm McDowell, and then eventually they stop, takes back his hand. You don't see what happened to his hand, and then they walk off, leaving Nerva in that bloody pool, and then the scene fades out, so there is no more to that.
Speaker 1: With the ring. I recall he holds out the hand, and in Tinto's work printed was done in this beautiful pan where you pan across the arm and so on, But I remember that Nerva doesn't kiss the ring there. But then I felt it was a moving moment where Peter O'Toole character, where Tiberius leaves and Calicular stays by himself. I felt there was an incredible sadness in Tiberius in that sequence. I guess one of the major differences in the released theatrical cut versus what Tinto intended was it in the initial scenes where we meet Tiberius with the pool and with this reddish structure, he's supposed to be drunk and you see him drinking repeatedly, which was the emphasize in the editing back then. So I feel when Nerva commits suicide. Tiberius is not drunk, he's sober, and we see a much more contemplative side of him, and it moves in that his friend has killed himself. Well, I find it important afterwards when Calicular gets to Nerva and asks about isis and so on many gets mad. I felt that's a very important moment for the character development. I just wonder why so much as missing? Why is this? I'm partial here, of course I want Tinto's version to be out, But why is this called the ultimate cut if it doesn't include all the scenes?
Speaker 3: That's a very good question. It is almost three hours long, and you really feel how long this is.
Speaker 1: When I discovered the work print, I reconstructed a workprint which is the first half. Then I put the second half together from the footaget that was available, and that version was around one hundred and sixty eight minutes long. So it is shorter, but it includes more scenes. Apparently is passively with windows editing style, likely because he intercuts things and they are edited in a very quick way. I would say every listener who listens to this, they should watch Salon Kitty, not for the content, just for the editing style. And I feel from Varsalon Kitty, also from mirosu Bianc, another Tinto film, or from Cocoa Gola. If you just disregard to storyline, if you just follow how is it edited? You can see how quickly a lot of things are done, at how one scene intercuts to the next. Because honestly, if you didn't know about this, so this cut is longer than the preliminary reconstruction I had, but includes less scenes, it's just interesting, let's put it that way.
Speaker 3: So obviously, I know that you don't want to stirrup any hornets nests, you don't want to upset anybody with this, and I know that you've tried to distance yourself from this new ultimate cut just because it is such a heartache for you. But I was curious if I read any quotes about this project, would you be up for possibly giving me your first impressions as to the validity or possible not validity of these depends on the quote? All right, sounds good. There has been discussion about who actually discuss the footage. There was one article that says that the producer of this new version is the one that found the treasure trove of material that doesn't sound like Mischion caligular whatsoever.
Speaker 1: This is quite an interesting quote. I would say, to give benefit of the doubt, it's hopefully a misunderstanding. And because the footage was put away in the early eighties, I believe it was occasionally accessed again, at least in parts, also for the Imperial Edition in two thousand and seven. But when I went to see Kelly Holland in twenty sixteen a penthouse, no one had done any idea where this footage was, and as I said, I had to pull some strings to figure out and so on. It was quite adventurous to finally find this archive. And according to Kelly Holland, the footage was about to be destroyed because apparently it was forgotten about and not paid for a long time. That's what she says in Mission calicular. I don't know the exact quote, but you can watch it in the documentary. So essentially the footage was all there, and they say when this new project happened, the company knew where the footage was because I had told Kelly Holland and so on. It was not a secret. So I wouldn't go so far to say I discovered the footage. I rediscovered it after many years in twenty sixteen, let's put it that way. And back then it moved me very much when Kelly Holland told me that if I hadn't come in at that time, the footage would have been destroyed likely and that might make me feel, oh, right place, right time. Everything is in a flow, and here's the work for now, we get Tinto involved in. Tinto is still around, he can still do his cuts, and basically the people who are doing this new cut, but hadn't even heard of them until two years after discovering the footage.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've been trying my best to find the pedigree. Obviously, you've put in decades of work on this project before you even had the chance to really dive in and complete it. But yeah, I'm just trying to find how the project got put in the hands of someone that I could not find any sort of restoration background or history at all.
Speaker 1: I have no ideas, to be honest, This new project appeared out of the blue for me as well. And again I don't want to go into much detail, but initially I had assumed these are people who are supposed to assist in my restoration or something like that, until I found out that basically, yeah, this is what it is now.
Speaker 3: I had also read that Nathaniel Thompson knew where this footage was and was able to provide that information to Penthouse. Finally, is that true?
Speaker 1: She was the one I contacted when Penthouse said there is no footage and so on, and he had worked on the Imperial Edition, and I get along with sim very well. I remember the first time I went to in twenty eleven, I met with him. He was one of the people I really admired for his work on the Imperial Edition. He had very little time back then when doing it, so he couldn't put more together. And so I contacted him and asked, oh, do you know where the footage was and so on, and then he had some memorisons. All that led to the rediscovery of the footage, which is why I'm also saying I helped to rediscover it sort of Penthouse where it was.
Speaker 3: We were talking about that Capri scene and one quote I read about that, because there are some digital effects in this new version as well. I'm not sure if you're aware of that, but the producer of this new version was talking about how he replaced or extended backgrounds in this new version, and he said, quote, it's respectful of the performers and the audience is to take the parts that look like a high school play and make it match the parts of the set that were completed as the Nati envisioned. For the transition to Capri, we drew the shoreline has a look from the real Tiberius's villa. In other scenes, Donati painted elaborate backdrops and would never have just hung a pink curtain to represent the landscape. So we're keeping in line with both the rest of this film but also the set designs he'd made for other films. I'm a fan of Danillo Donati and wanted the audience to see what he intended for them to see.
Speaker 1: This is actually a very puzzling quote to me when I think of it. Donati did the set design for Felini's Casanova a little bit prior, and that film has some more abstract scenes in it. I remember a scene where Casanova is on a boat and the seed is made of plastic sheets that are moving. To me, this sounds as if you take Felini's Casanova and replace the plastic sheets with cgi water of the sea and the scene with the backdrop. We're really talking about a matter of taste here. Some people would prefer a photorealistic island, some people prefer a more theatrical staging. The film was shot with the sets the way they are, so I think they should stay the way they are. And if they hardly were alive and we could ask him, that might be a different story. But here I really don't see the point in this. And again, why is it called the ultimate cut? If you change the footage, if you remove some These are not angry questions. These is genuine curiosity. Why do you change things instead of trying to make it the way they were intended to. I'm a historian as well as a filmmaker. I have two degrees, a Bachelor in Audiovisual Media and a Bachelor of Master in history. And with Calicula, I felt I want to preserve what was shot, and I think I know which scene he means with the backdrop with this white cloth, which I felt was a brilliant scene because it shows this morning mood and it looks like a theater stage play. I know with the Capri scene in the film Yoca Lego, Lie In the Italian edition they put a shot of the Isle of Capri for the transition, But the way that Tinto could have done it wouldn't have involved any look at the island of Capri. It would have been impressionist. It starts with Caligula being carried up the slope, so to be quite honest to me personally, doing any digital trickery with the footage, except for cleaning it up, would be a big no go. Tinto did the film with a certain vision in mind. Basically what was filmed. Tinto made it work, and the Capri scene works. I just watched a few days ago, just for my reference, the beginning of the work print again and it works well. Macro talks about going to Capri, we cut to Caligula being carried up there. It's very clear where it is. We don't need an establishing shot of the island, and I feel this is the special thing about the film. Clicular, a lot of it looks quite artificial, quite stagy. And then there is a scene where he walked through the scenes of Rome which were filmed in a thermi carame is the German word thermi in Rome in the ruins, and that looks very real. Again, we suddenly have this dirty surroundings. So I felt in Caligula he's getting from the more artificial looking surroundings into the real world in that scene suddenly, and it all makes sense.
Speaker 3: It's not like the movie was taken away from Tinto during the art direction phase or the set direction phase. It was during the editing phase. So it feels like that would be where you want to concentrate your efforts.
Speaker 1: When you think of Tinto's working style, he was great with improvisation, which is why I like his style so much. When he watched called Couring Gola deadly sweet, He's just in London capturing things, and a lot of it was just what spur of the moment, spontaneous and with the set design of Caliguia, no matter what happened there or let's say, if a set should it be more complete or not, I don't even know about this. I was more concerned with how the film was actually shot. Tinto shot the film the way he felt works, and if something in the set didn't work for whatever reason, Tinta would have put around it. So I feel it must be respected the film that was shot. And I think if you just put the film together the way it was intended by the director, which is not simple. But if you do this, it starts all making sense and you don't have to add anything in cgi the idea never occurred to me to add any element.
Speaker 3: Yeah, even when you're on Capri and you're in Tiberius's area, there's that shot of the whole presenium almost and it does feel very much like what it is, which is in a very elaborate sound stage.
Speaker 1: And basically that's what I mean. A lot of the film is done also in parts almost like a theater play with more stylized thing. What I find interesting when Caliicula is on the balcony of the Imperial Palace and there are a few scenes where he's on that balcony, the backdrop is clearly painted. Parts of the film actually remind me of a play, of a more experimental play. Other parts are very filmmaking. Really, it all makes sense and it starts the flow if you put it together.
Speaker 3: That really checks out, especially when you think of Sizanna giving birth basically on stage, and she is a centerpiece of that whole stage production of the birth of Caligula's daughter.
Speaker 1: Yes, and that felt let's say I feel that when you watch Felini's Casanova, you have this very artificial look to many sets. It doesn't look like the real world, and I feel that we would have similar effect in Caligula. A lot of it is more stylized, more abstract. I was always very interested in Bresch's theory about theater and getting some detachment by making things deliberately take you out of the illusion of reality and so on. So when you edit the film the way the director intended to, it becomes quite a complex piece of art that would be discussed very differently.
Speaker 3: We're talking a little bit about the death of Mirva as well, and the producer of the new version of the Ultimate Cut also said for Perligula to have a story arc, it's important that he not be a murderer until he gets the ring. So talking about Tiberius's ring, even when he's trying to kill the corrupt Tiberius, he can't do it if power corrupts. He has to have a first act of someone who doesn't have it in him until the power gets into his blood. Then in the third act, when he loses the only person in the world he trusts, he loses it completely.
Speaker 1: That's a matter of interpretation. One might say with Nerva's suicide, suddenly he's alone with Nerva and he gets power over Nerva who's dying, and he uses that power, he gets anger and pushes him down. I don't see why that moment would be out of line. Also, I think, again, it's not a story arc like that in the film that was intended.
Speaker 3: And I guess Nerva's going to die anyway, so it's I don't know if it's murder or assisted suicide.
Speaker 1: What did you think of the CGI?
Speaker 3: It wasn't intrusive. The most intrusive thing was that opening dream sequence that just felt so tonally off. But then yeah, just there were still things like in my notes last night, when I was watching the Ultimate Cut, I was just like, that was a weird fade out. That was a weird crosst. There were a couple things, and there's one shot in particular where I was like, oh wow, the quality just degraded significantly. I was able to see some things from Mission caligular things that you had talked about where I was like, Okay, this is good to finally see this, and then yeah, weird things where yeah, we fade out before we have Caligular talking with Nerva. We've got the treasury scene is missing, so it's just, yeah, it's very weird what he chose to keep and lead out. So the one thing I found very, let's say, disheartening about this is that even the producer of The Ultimate Cut seems to not necessarily take Tinto Brass and his talent and his reputation very seriously. Someone on Facebook posted, if you were to make a movie called Oriana The Secretary with the Great Ass or something like that, then then listen to Tinto otherwise no, and then the producer responded, Okay, that did make me laugh out loud. Excellent point.
Speaker 1: To be honest, I find these words quite hard to hear, and I find it sad because I feel that every film restoration has to respect the director's talents, abilities, and style, and to accurately gauge the director's talent, abilities, and style. That's also very important to me. This quote basically is making fun. If a film is an erotic film, it's not to be taken seriously or something like that. I think this is about Tinto's reputation as a maker of erotic films. He did a lot of erotic films since the eighties. Tinto's reputation as a filmmaker in the sixties and seventies, he was very highly regarded his talents. His very first film in kilavore E Perduto, screened at the Venice Film Festival in sixty three. I believe then Umberto Eco, who is very famous. Obviously people know, he commissioned Tinto to do two short films for La Rinaldo di Milano called Tempolbo and Timpo Lavativo, which were screened in La in twenty twelve, where Tinto basically tries his hand as a completely new experimental filmic language, which worked very well. When I think of how highly regarded his films were. His film Lorelo screened at the Berlin Film Festival, and Tinto a few years later became a member of the jury at the Berlin Film Festival in the early seventies. His film Lover Cancer greened at Venice Film Festival in the early seventies and it received an award that believe it was the Critics Prize. Is that when you see Caligula. At that time, people regarded Tinto as an avant gardistic filmmaker. Who has done this provocative film salone, Kitty and Caligula would have continued this, and it's something for years I tried to make people aware of Tinto's film career that there's basically two phases, erotic films in the second half of the career and different films in the first half of his career, even though there is a lot of overlap and his style continues and so on. And I feel if you researched Tinto and his filmography, you immediately find all these films that even at their time of release, were artistically very highly regarded. And I feel that the footage for caliicular that I watched in the work print, it would have continued that legacy of Tinto and his experimental, often experimental editing that flows. I would say that's something that all of Tinto's films have in common, and his early films and also a lot of his late films is just his brieflowing style. When proach any kind of restoration, I want to approach it with a respect for the artist's intentions and for the artist's talents. And it never once occurred to me too in quotation marks improve upon anything of Caligula. That was something I was very aware of when I'm working on this. Tinto would have had the last word if he were involved, it would be clear. If he wouldn't have been involved, I would have made a film informed on the work print and on his intentions, without putting my damp onto it. So to say, well, I've felt Caligula would have been released the way that Tinto Dous wanted it, it would be seen as a very different film. It would be seen as a huge provocative political film, an anarchist film. I think it would have been taken much more seriously artistically because a lot of violence of the film and a lot of the unpleasant scenes, they do make sense in the context that Tinto put them in. And this is something that makes me very sad that this vision beers still unrealized. The silver lining on all this is that I was able to release Mission Curricular, and I remember when I edited that film, and then you and I had our long conversations about Mission Curricular back a few years ago. I want to put as many interesting moments in there as possible, or people who like the film were really diving deeply into that film. Of course, Mission Curricular state PG. I didn't put any of the violence scenes in it ra any of that. But if you really study the editing of Curricular, and then if you go through Mission Curricular, you will see in the black and white work print some scene transitions and some things that people just speculated about prior. So at least I find in Mission Curricular you can still see where this project would have been going, and what does intensions wear. I think I think the only thing I really want people to know is that Mission Curricular and the idea to do a director's cut off calicular to reconstruct one is entirely different from what has come out now.
Speaker 3: So how about you? Are you able to put Caligula behind you? Or do you even want to put that behind you because you've spent so many years invested in this film.
Speaker 1: This is a really good question. Let's say if someone approached me today and said, I want to make it possible to do this cut, we'll try to get tinto involved and so on, I would be as excited as I was years ago. Though I don't know the condition the archive is in a few years ago, someone sent me a picture of the footage being scanned, which was apparently put up on social media where you could see a half frame in the beginning being sliced off, a half frame in the end sliced off. And I'm very thorough about getting every frame. But I don't know about the condition of the archive. But I think the excitement could be reawokened, but it would have to be serious because I talk to other people who are very involved in calige. You line various ways, and they all thought told me, there is this up and down. You get a lot of hope up and then stopped the hope and stop. Let's say, in my daily life, I don't try to think about it too much. I feel this interview is very important to me to get this viewpoint out, and I feel that listeners should also watch Mission calicular, listen to our prior conversations to get an idea of what the film was, what it was supposed to be. Like, I tend to not think about it too often. When I think about it, it's, let's say, a tragic work of art that exists in a ruined state. To me, when I look at this in a more metaphorical way, like a ruined from an ancient building or so, you can still gauge what the film was supposed to be like. But you don't really see the entire construction. And when you watch the theatrical cut, I don't know the new cut, but I guess this involves any cut that doesn't follow Tinto's intentions. It's basically impossible to see what Tinto was going for because so much was shot, so many interesting camera angle. When I looked at the work print, some parts just surprised me. When I saw them, I knew they existed, but then I saw them and I was like, Okay, this is how he did it. But I guess with Mission Curricular, there is enough out there so people can get an opinion. Though I find it said that you can't just intuitively watch Curricular the director's cut or curricular that reconstructed to us work print.
Speaker 3: I know you are never one to not be busy. What are you working on these days?
Speaker 1: I did a documentary which when I did my film Fits and Leave in Paris, we did a lot of behind scenes footage and I did a lot of documentaries about old artists, some of them have since passed away. That was Roger Ball and the Mohave Desert. That film was actually running for the Oscars in twenty eighteen. It was in competition. It didn't get to the short list, but it was in competition for short documentary, and I realized have so much footage of friends of mine who have since passed away and so on. So I decided to do a documentary called Cutting Squares, which is not yet released. It did have its world premiere in la a few weeks ago, which is an autobiographical look at my filmmaking and at the people I met there, and I got very positive feedback about it. It features a lot of encounter with interesting people, including hellwert Burger's very last time in front of film camera. I did a film with hellwood Berger called Revolution, which installed for various reasons. But I put a lot of putag into this documentary, so that is getting quite some interest and it makes me very happy.
Speaker 3: I think you might have been working out Revolution the last time that.
Speaker 1: We talked exactly basically that film. It started in twenty seventeen. I had written the screenplay in two thousand and nine, and normally I do my films very quickly, but this film Revolution, there were a few roadblocks happening scheduling wise and so on, and they had to recast a role, and then the Caligular thing happened, and basically I put that on ice. It's the only film of mine that I've ever put on ice. Parts of it I did as a film called gas Shaped Light, about a toxic relationship. Gas Shaped Light I did shortly after the Caligular project fell apart. It's about a relationship where a man is together with seemingly nice girl who keeps twisting his words around and making it more more difficult, which kind of was a darker film than my others. I don't know if I'm going to continue working on Revolution, but now the footage of Family Dagger is out in the film Cutting Square, so I'm happy about that to them. Right now, actually working to get potentially my PhD in history, I started some family history research. My family is from Covina. Originally it is a completely different chapter. I started to research my great grandfather more and I found so much that I might be able to turn it into a PhD thesis. So I'm working a lot in archive these days. I just spent combined several weeks over some stays at the Vienna State Archives finding so many documents about my family history about who was related to this and so on. This is very exciting work for me.
Speaker 3: I don't want to put words in your mouth, but I'm curious if the experience you had around the new cut of Caligula, if that informed Gas Shaped Light.
Speaker 1: Let's say it informed my mood at that time. Let's put it that the one thing in Gas Shaped Light, the lead character is called Alex. When people watch it, they oh, this happened to you. I got to say this was a joke on set that kind of got out of hand where I was like, oh, how do we name I love to use improvisation in my films. I thought, how do we name the main actor and the main character? And the actor was joking, oh, let's call him Alex, and I said, oh, that's funny. Then we shot the first season Alex, and that it stay. I would say Gas Shaped Light is look into my mood those days. But there were different things happening. When I did a film called fatsen Leven The Year After, which is also about a relationship breaking apart and being toxic. At least there the lead character doesn't have a name and she looks completely unlike me, which I found nice. So people WoT we didn't assume that it's me. Basically, I often put my moods and my thoughts into my sholms with but I never put it directly. I never make a film that says, oh, this happened to me. Now I'm going to show you what happened to me. It's more a general gist, a general loot, some thoughts and so on, and things I observe and all get condensed. You cano much see what I'm at or what my mindset is when you look at my films of ich respective time.
Speaker 3: Alexander, where's the best place for people to keep up with you in your work?
Speaker 1: Well, you can follow my Facebook account or on Instagram, and I have a website. You can just type in my name and you find my website, and when something new happens, I'll just post it.
Speaker 3: Alexander, we need to get you back on the show for something else other than painful memories of Caligula. We need to speak more than every six years or so. But I look forward to that next time of being able to have a better conversation with you.
Speaker 1: Thank you me too. It was a pleasure, even though it was a topic that's unpleasant. It felt very pleasant to talk to you.
Speaker 3: Still, well, I'm glad you went there. Thank you so much.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 3: All Right, we're back when we were talking about Caligula The Ultimate Cut. First up, I should say that the producer of The Ultimate Cut, Thomas the Govin, who assembled a team to work on the editing, color grading, score, digital facts, et cetera, was approached for an interview for this episode but declined. This is in no way a hit piece on Nagovian. I've never actually met him and we've only had limited interaction on Facebook Messenger. He may have sent me an email back in twenty nineteen, and his email address prefilled itself when I was trying to write to him about this episode, so that definitely holds some water. I know that he emailed Rob, so it makes sense, and he said in his email that he was going to email me. But yeah, I even donated to his calligular book on Kickstarter, and we can discuss that a little bit later in the show if we feel like it. But yeah, talk a little bit about Thomas Dgovin and what we know about this guy.
Speaker 11: I was gonna mention that my interactions with him was a bit more than you so he had emailed me after we had done the two colligular episodes and he told me that he was working with someone notable and wanted to put together this book and there were some other things, and so I actually have a phone call with him. I think we have had two song calls with it. And it was actually before this I even knew that this new version was coming together, because I didn't know anything was happening. I went back and I looked at the date stamps I'm an email, and it was it was like the end of last year or something like. I wasn't plugged in to the fact that this thing had played at camp. I didn't know that. I'm out of it, Like I don't follow film as close as they used to. And I emailed him and I never heard back. So I just figured dead letter office, you know, as happens with emails. So I always found him to be straight with me, tell me what was going on. He was asking me for assistance and could I connect him with people, and I said, sure, you know, whatever you need, let me know. And you know, as in the past when we've done commentary tracks or things like that, I was always more than willing to help people if something came out of it or not, because just being a gigantic film nerd, I always want things to work out as best they can. And this one, being as long and beandering as it's been with all of the various players and facets, as we've discussed over two episodes plus on here, I just thought it would be great to see something coming it. But like I said, I haven't talked to him probably since before COVID so may it's been like twenty nineteen or early twenty twenty, something like that.
Speaker 3: And I know back then he had talked about pairing with Elis Marengue, the guy that did Begotten and Shadow of the Vampire. It was a quote in an interview he had with Fangoria. But I don't think that Marengi's name is on this new version. I don't know if they had a falling out or what happened with that. If Negovin would go on record, that would be one of the questions I would have asked him, is what happened with that? Because I'm curious. I'm also curious about Negovin's pedigree to your point from earlier, how the as far as him having knowing McKeon and stuff. It feels like his rolodex. And I think Caroline Kirkandhal even says this his rolodex is crazy. He knows a ton of people, and he's been connected through the art world for so long. I know he's made a couple of short films. It just feels like such a strange choice to have Negovin take this project over. But at the same time, I think, again, right place, right time. He was approached by somebody at the same place that Carolyn Kirkandal works at, as she said, and so it was like, all right, this, let's go ahead with this. And I just one other thing I should say is that I over the years, I've had so many people, especially one person and I can't remember his name because I blocked him on Facebook, because this motherfucker would just not stop messaging me about killing Gula. Like every few months it would just be like, hey, this is happening, and it would always be like he was angry about stuff. And after a while it's just I am so not invested in this nearly as much as you are. Please stop sending me this stuff. And then it was just more and more, and after a while I was just like I got a block.
Speaker 12: Yeah, sorry, yeah, that's crazy. Also, I forgive you for blocking may minds now I'm jogging out. People obviously get very passionate about it, so thatimes too passionate though, though that's a yeah. No, I was so curious researching because No, Thompas has a fascinating career. I mean, he's even done music and is recorded on like a wax cylinder, which is a very old school format, and it's definitely an interesting guy and it's it is. He's not the most obvious choice on the outset, but it is an interesting one and he obviously the thing I really did admire researching when I was working on the commentary is the amount of time him and Erran and he gives his editor a lot, and as he should, but he does, and I love that because I think sometimes it's easy for people and because I don't even know what you call him. He's a director of sorts. But it's it's almost a film in some ways, as like a motherless child realistically, just it is what it is. But if anybody hell anything, I guess I should say, usually don't give the editors props, but the editors are the ones that build the spine of the piece, They build the rhythm of the piece. I think editors get vastly underrated sometimes, so it's cool to see that. And I know they'd worked together in some of the short film projects beforehand. I will I do hate it that he's had a part of this.
Speaker 1: It would be cool.
Speaker 12: It would have been cool to have that, especially because I know there are some people that have some confusion about this project. And yeah, it's not the Tinto cut, and it's never unless something magical happens. It's to me, it's basically having the Tinto version or anything close to that. It's like tears in the rain, It's gone, it's gone. We would have I think Mission Caligula probably would have been that cut, just because Alexander studied Tinto and worked directly with Tinto and had him on board with that. And I'm not really privy, Yeah, I'm not. Obviously I wasn't part of any phone calls or anything to know what machination how the deck of cards fell down and got resect on. That's the closest thing I could find. And I found this actually from one of my original note cards. As far as thom I found this from an interview Thomas did for synaps dot Co, where he said a friend of his who worked at Penthouse Global Licensing, which is a division that handles legacy materials, had changed hands a number of times, including Penthouse itself, which is an allusion to Kelly Holland getting which sounds like that was messy. She's a fascinating lighting. She's one the more I've read up, I would love to talk to her. I just find her really, especially as she was one of the very few female directors an adult before she was in Penthouse. She also has done a ton of animal rights stuff and the fact that just to quick aside to give her some major prompts because I feel like she gets disparaged, like when you do find her online about her Penthouse front is that she entered the company loving Bob Gucciani and even with that, when she entered this project with Alexander Reykigni the flaws of what he did, and to me, it's like I almost felt like maybe her working with Alexander was like doing an alms or something like try to atone for the sins of the father sort of thing, And I don't know, I find I have a lot of respect for people who can look at their heroes and be that objective.
Speaker 11: She's great on the second episode. If you go back and listen to her interview with us, She's just a fascinating person.
Speaker 3: Brin. She did write an article called It'll Never Happen on his colligulid dot org site. At one point he talks about how she wanted him to write about the history of and House and he said, it's not going to be pretty. And he basically told her what a you know, GUCCIONI is and she's, oh, yeah, no, that's okay, I want the full truth. And I was like, that's very admirable.
Speaker 12: It's extremely It's sad to say that the memorable because that's how everybody should be, but we know, we all know that is the rareer. So yeah, I have a lot of respect for her, and she's somebody I would love just to have a couple of and just talk with. She's cool. Basically the testing what you were saying, Mike, it just sounds like in the interview he got hit up by this this contact a Penthouse global and it's I can't imagine anybody. It's a huge thing to undertake. But god, what a cool, what a fascinating thing. I don't know if I could blame anybody for taking such a gig, right, but I do wish we had, of course, I think we all do. If you love a cinema, if you would want that team Doe cut just we all dream about, Okay, where's London after midnight? But like finding that print and somebody's at it, having the full like cut greed dreaming is free at least. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 11: One thing about his background that I think really comes through in this version or Good or Hill is because he has that visual arts background, I feel like we get a lot of wide shots.
Speaker 14: Yeah.
Speaker 11: He wants us to be immersed in these sets, and while it's fine, it just feels. As we've talked about many times here, one of the technical aspects of making film really is all in the editing and to the length of the shots, why they're there when you're cutting to something else, and what does the order mean, What does the order mean within that section, what does that order mean within the hole? And the thing is that while it wasn't complete, we at least had a ninety minute workprint to work from, so he could have at least looked at that ninety minutes, and like I say, I have no way of knowing, because I've never watched the ninety minute work print that Alexander has and to compare it against this and to go, Okay, this is where it is, and this is this matches and this is what it should be. But at the same time, the question becomes if he's basing it against a script. The script is not final film either. For example, you had done Graduate recently, and this was something I didn't know and I can't remember if it was on the show or if it was what I picked up from the Criterion, And when I rewatched it and listening to the commentary, was there were voiceovers in there where those I'man and Garfunkel songs are and Mike Nichols, I don't need these voiceovers. It gives me real the fucking voiceover. Put the Simon and Garfunkel song in, and that works better than having all these voiceover and offscreen dialogues going on over these driving scenes. Ultimately, even if it's in the script, even if it's on the page, it doesn't end up on the stage. That's the difference between film and a play. So there's part of me that I give him his props for going, Okay, we're going to work from the Dials script and we're going to try and be as faithful as this, But even that is now guaranteed that you're going to come up with a completed version that is what was intended.
Speaker 1: Either.
Speaker 11: These are all lots of things to think about, and as I was looking at this, one of the things and I don't know if we got a truncated marketing packet or if it was just two pages. I want to hope that it was bigger.
Speaker 3: That's what the PR company sent to me.
Speaker 11: So I want to hope that there was more because one of the sales points of this film is one new footage, right, And I'm just like, yeah, And I don't care that it's one hundred percent in shots. That doesn't excite me. I was thinking about this as a comparable and I'm a huge fan of the Stooges, and i had the Stooges Complete Funhouse Sessions, which is eight hours of everything they recorded, and I go, this would be the equivalent of someone taking that and going, I'm going to make my own version of the Funhouse album. I'm going to take this take and that take the band already say if they couldn't have completed it, maybe they said okay, they sequenced the first four tracks off the album as an equivalent and said, okay, these four songs, and I don't care about that. I'm sequencing this entirely the way that Icy fit, based on what Icy fit, because that's the thing that I think, really when I look at this against something like what Walter Merch did with Touch of Evil, Grant and it wells wasn't around, but he left a really long memo on every scene and what he wanted. So I'm in this place where I appreciate this version for all the goal and new stuff that's in it and looks great and all that, but I don't know if it gets us any closer than the Guccioni version in the certain ways. It's confusing at times.
Speaker 12: There were two of the Vidal scripts I read, but Thursday there's so many, and it's not really trying to deal with some weird variation between a mad lib and ration on of trying to piece something like this together with so many different disparate narratives, elements, weird narratives, sometimes not even just out and that's not just to get dealt to it just calligulan in general, it's so much and Rob, I do love that you mentioned the White Shots though. The White Shots, I think, and I think one of the one of the biggest pluses of The Ultimate Cut. It is one hundred percent a love letter to Donatis sets. You could tell there is a love But even in a lot of the interviews that I read that with Thomas is like the Ya Dinatis mentioned a lot, as he should be.
Speaker 3: He's a fan of most of it, except for the stuff that he replaced with CG.
Speaker 12: But oh, I don't know.
Speaker 3: I just Negovin strikes me as Braddy with some of the stuff that he said. And I've people sending me stuff like crazy. So there's just quote after quote. And he even told me in our very brief Facebook conversation he's just, oh, Tinto brask he's got dementia. And I saw this documentary, this obscure documentary in twenty thirteen. Of course I had to look it up, and I'm just like, oh, okay, is Tinto Brass? Let me download this? Okay, watch it all right? Yeah, Tinto seems fine. But everything that Negovin says, is just I watched this documentary in twenty thirteen, and it shows clearly that he has dementia. And I'm just like, what documentary did you watch? Because that's not the version that I saw. I saw a brass acting recounting stories, very clear, very lucid. Of course that's twenty thirteen, right, that's eleven years ago. But I know other people that have talked to him and they're just like, Okay, that's great, he's doing fine. Of course, Alexander talked with him very recently, and it's not that recently because now apparently Tinto's wife controls all the communications, but a few years ago when this project was kicking off, and that's very different than the story that Magovin tells, where he's just The first thing I did was I reached out to Tinto, and I tried everything that I could, and I was told over a year later that he received all these things, but his wife dismissed it. I was in contact with her after that. She was open to the idea, but I had been told and later learned from a documentary on him, that he had dementia. I asked if I could speak directly with Tinto. The answer was no, So that's where it stalled. I couldn't encourage the rights holder to send money to somebody who couldn't get on a phone call. I suspect that it's partially his health, but it's also likely that it is just a terrible sore spot for everybody involved, which I completely agree, and Brass talks about that on the Orgy Power documentary that I don't know what I would do. The ship is sale, but I don't know what the truth is around there. I know that Michelle Levoco, Brass's lawyer at the time, was saying that Tinto Brass did not participate in the new version of his not made any offers. He is old but very lucid, and any involvement in this new edition is false. Here's Thomas Negavan from the Team Human podcast.
Speaker 9: The first thing that I did was I contacted Tinto Brass, and the very second person I contacted was Malcolm McDowell's manager, and I said, look, I have this project on my lap. I'm a tourist here. This is before I started forming any opinions on anything. I said, I am a tourist here, this is your art. You should dictate the course of this. This is before I understood how much everyone hated each other and all of this, and so it was such a traumatic thing for tinto. My understanding is that that's why that got ignored. I didn't hear from them until like eight or nine months later, when I kept kind of pummeling and people were trying to bridge that gap.
Speaker 11: This is where it gets interesting for me. Why am I interested in doing a third episode with you on this thing? I'm going to start with this thing. This is going to sound like I'm victim blaming, but I'm not. And what I mean by that is that every filmmaker has their own way of how they create, and I feel like he was a victim of his own method. On the truth, yes, because the way Alexander talks about he was rolling multiple cameras, he was doing multiple takes in various different ways. Like I say, when we look at that ending, compare the ending of how Malcolm Max versus this new version, two different characterizations. Some of the other scenes within the films obviously, But the thing is that's all commendable. I commend him for going you know what, you know what, the most cheapest part of this entire production is blow and film because blow and film in that era was cheap. Film stock was cheap compared to paying salaries and building those sets and all that. And when I think about his process up against other filmmakers, So, for example, a guy who's very controlled, Martin Scorsese. He knows exactly what he's gonna get, He storyboards everything. He doesn't really shoot extra coverage. Another guy like that is Clinton Eastwood. He's like the king of the one take. He knows exactly what he wants, he shoots exactly he wants. He does not do all this coverage. And so there's part of me that feels like Tinto is just a victim of his own process here. And I just think about how there's famous stories throughout film history. One of my favorites, one of my heroes, Melvin Van Peebles, who gave the finger to Columbia when they told him, Hey, you're gonna shoot a different ending of Watermelon Man, Right, Oh, I got it, I'm gonna shoot it. And then he didn't and turns the film and they go, where's that ending, and he's I'm just shooting that fucking ending. Fuck you, I'm out of here and Forster Murders release the film the way he wanted it. So really for me, what I think why I keep coming back to Caligula, why I'm so fascinated by all these various cuts, and I give Thomas' credit for putting this cut together, is that it ultimately comes down to the idea of like creative expression within a system for filmmakers, and how do you do it when there's so many things going on? Do you really need to have orson wells ironclad Citizen Kane contract where even Ted Turner couldn't polarize it forty years later? Do you need to be so strict? Do you only shoot what you shoot and get rid of everything and force them to release your thing? Granted he had this film taken away from him, I know that, I know the history of it. Or is there somewhere in the middle where you just got to go?
Speaker 3: You know what?
Speaker 11: This is such a big process with so many money men and everybody's got their hands in it that even if you try to make it your vision, I don't think it's possible because there's just way too many shifts in that kitchen.
Speaker 3: So many big egos in there. I completely agree with you as far as the way that Brass Shoots left him open to this, which is a horrible thing. But he said very plainly in that Orgy of Power documentary, it is just like direct half the job. The other half is the editing, and I do all of my work in my editing. That's where I actually bring a project to life, which I'm like, yeah, okay, there's a great quote. I got it in here where he won a lawsuit in Italy, and that's one thing that Renji definitely documents all of those lawsuits. Oh my god. So I think they were like twenty nine or thirty lawsuits that were all around this. Oh, just crazy. And so he won the lawsuit in Italy where the director's right is guaranteed over the producers, and he said, I had a hard time convincing the judges that I couldn't be responsible for a film for which I had shot about one hundred and sixty thousand meters but only four thousand or forty five hundred were ultimately used. And this is very prophetic what he says. One could have made so many different films depending on who chose the material and utilized it.
Speaker 1: Oh jeez.
Speaker 12: Yeah, Tito is such a fucking brilliant editor. Look at any of his films. Look at Celon Kitty. That film is a masterpiece. The way it is pieced together, it is, it's one of them. It's a film my visit, even though some of it is so unpleasant, but it's just such a fucking beautiful film. Look at the how Tinto's a wonderful editor. And I feel like anybody would have been open though, because to being preyed upon, because GUCCIONI I don't think Gucciini knew what he wanted. I think he thought he knew what he wanted. With Tinto, I think it's almost like he had a devil and an angel on his shoulder, an art angel was like Solon Kitty. It's a great film. Oh my god, cor Fitzal, Malcolm McDowell, Denalo Donati, oh, FRANKL. Russellini. This guy's produced, Yeah, he can produce with us. He's worked with Pasolini, Sir John Gill. Just getting all of these pieces and then but then the little devils. Some of these extras they're unclay looking, they're not sexy, they're not pretty. We need that penthouse. She and and I think he also wanted some of that porno chic pie because that was the thing this was like, this was about at the end, at the era where people if there was ever going to be a crossover, it was going to be in the late seventies. And because this film started principles shooting, I believe in seventy six, and you know, seventy six, seventy seven, and it never happened, obviously, And granted, there are so many adult films that honestly are so much better made than what resulted with any version. As much as I love the altimit cut, but I love the film as a whole. That's not at all a mark against against Aaron or Thomas. It's just like we've all said, you're trying to make a puzzle out of pieces that you're missing.
Speaker 11: Guccioni ultimately is responsible, and to me, he violates the rule that I had when I used to run newsery, what I used to hire borders and people to work with, where it's higher, well, trust in your people, because if not, why why are you even doing it? You may as well just fucking do everything yourself. If you don't trust the people that you've hired.
Speaker 12: Exactly exactly. And the perversity of it all though is that. And I even hate voicing this, but realistically he shouldn't have tampered with it. That's not a debate. That's absolutely not a for debate. Do not fuck with art, do not fuck with artists, do not censor, do not tamper it's it's a vital If he had left it alone, it wouldn't be as infamous and famous as it is though. That's the messed up thing about it, right, is Guccioi's hampering with it and adding in all the hardcore and having us cut. That's what played forty seconds Street. That's what got all the pressed, that's what got all the publicity. And that's sad, what a sad statement on our culture, right that an actual, just true blue art film that wouldn't get all that, And it wouldn't because a lot of them didn't like I mean, people know about self even reading some of the reviews of Salo and Kitty or how even I read I found news articles when they were making this film from the American press and that at the time they didn't even know what Salon Kinny was about. They were just just no respect and no understanding even then. America has such we have such a model history of how we regard art anyways from our own artists, much less overseas artists. And that's what I think. That's maybe the biggest fact that breaks my heart. And I have obviously I have no proma explicit Scott. I've been on several projection, but talking about explicit films, I love cinema, but it's done well. I don't care about the genre. But I may say said that it's like if Tinto had been left alone, would as many people be talking about it.
Speaker 3: I feel bad for Alexander. I feel bad that Malcolm McDowell called them a nerd from Czechoslovakia.
Speaker 12: That's terrible. And I love Malcolm McDowell. I would give him a kidney, But I don't call now Alexander in your interview with him. If you're listening this, you've already heard it. Yeah, brilliant. Alexander is so eloquent and so intelligent and passionate researching this. I gain so much respect for him and the hard work he's done, and as proud as I am if any work I've done about Tinto, because I love Alexander's the man on top of being very talented and respective filmmaker in his own right, I would be proud to be un heard from Czechoslovakia. I I mean, I was like Alexander Trushynski.
Speaker 3: And not to disparage journalists, rob but so many journalists just take the easy way and they just quote from other articles rather than doing the wrong research and just even like fact checking certain articles that I've read online. I've actually gone right to the right too the writers and said I think you're wrong on this. There's one where it was Todd Gilchrest and he took this very well, and he actually did went back in his records and looked and was like, no, you're right, because he wrote at one point that in the two thousand and seven DVD released this is the Imperial Edition, he said that it was produced by Negovin, And so I went back to Nathaniel Thompson as well, who actually produced that version, and was just like, did Ntagovin have anything to do with this? He's like no, I didn't even know who that guy was until a few years ago. So I'm like, okay, so we got that cleared up, which is good, But just some of the things like I can't picking on Negovan a little bit. He just was so pitthy about things, Like he was like, well, the footage wasn't lost. The footage of all this stuff, this ninety six hours wasn't lost because obviously they had it for the Imperial Edition. And it's like, yeah, but then they lost track of it. Nathaniel Thompson knew where it was, and eventually Alexander was able to talk with him, and then was able to talk with Penthouse, able to talk to Kelly and say, this is where that footage is, and they were able to get it from that Iron Mountain facility. Govan is just like, well, did you see the stuff? Did you see the boxes? You know, this is an interesting, dramatic story. He says, I absolutely believe that's what the owner of Penhouse at the time told and he won't even say Tushinsky's name told Alexander. If you think about how high end storage facilities work with companies that have a public phone number, you might see some cracks in that story. And I'm just like, oh wow, so now you're calling Alexander a liar. That's great.
Speaker 11: It's a good marketing angle to play the hero. But the thing that I'm hung up on in the marketing around that is one hundred percent new footage. I don't fucking care. No, that it's one hundred percent new footage doesn't mean anything to me. The question is is does it make sense within the story you're trying to tell and does it comport it to what the filmmaker's intent was. That's all that matters to me. I mean, like I said, Touch of Evil, as far as I know, might have some new footage.
Speaker 17: I don't.
Speaker 11: I don't have to go back and rewatch the versions. But guess what you know, Touch of Well, it's completely different, everything from different angle. It's like, and you're not exciting to me like that? What does that mean?
Speaker 1: I don't know what that means.
Speaker 3: I use the right shots. I'm okay if you recycle stuff from the Guccio and A version, so I'm fine if you have a mixture. Prayer to the fan edit gods as well as to the powers that be. I hope this isn't the ultimate cut. I hope that this isn't the last time we hear about this, because I would really like to still see. But then I hear, I hear all these spurious rumors about Nagov, and I'm not going to repeat any of them here, but I'm just I hope that bringing the restoration process that all of those materials were kept and kept in really good condition.
Speaker 10: You know.
Speaker 3: I hope they didn't do something silly like let's just go ahead and open up these all these audio cans just to have the the actual materials fall apart. You know. We're just like, it's so delicate. The film restoration is such a delicate art. We've talked about that for over the last how long has this podcast been going thirteen years, We've been talking about that over the last thirteen years of just how delicate film is and how film needs to be handled properly and restored. So I just hope that during this restoration process that that stuff was kept safe and that there is an opportunity if we do want to try and again with a version that is closer to tinto Brass, that we can do that.
Speaker 11: And part of me is concerned that Penas, whoever runs it now, doesn't give a shit about keeping all of the outtakes in ninety plus hours, because that takes up a lot of space and respecial facility that can hold all that oh in the catalog it and to hold it for years, and then you have tragedies like the Universal Fire fifteen years ago, where there was all these original master recordings. They're gone. You can't remix that, and you might be able to in the AI world, but still you can't go back to the original digital magnetic masters of things that we're twenty yars ago.
Speaker 12: I know all three of us are definitely great in anybody listening to this. Obviously your film Lover Too, Press is so important and so key, especially because film is such an infant format or other types of art, not just silent films. But when I was researching Michael Finlay is one of my tours. He's got lost films in the sevenies like that, not long ago. It's heartbreaking.
Speaker 3: Well, I just recently heard about this biopic on gor Vi Dal that sounds like it's lost.
Speaker 11: Some of it is deliberable, like what is there the uh yeah, there's the back Girl movie. Like they just create things to destroy them so that they can tew a tags right off. Yeah sure, yeah, But like I said, one of my degrees, I got a graduate certificate in archival administration. And even before it's probably because I watched Bucking Indiana Jones too many times when I was a kid. But it belongs in a museum, Like I honestly have this feeling there's so much stuff we're going to end up hundreds of years from now. It's all we won't be alive, but are will continue and once of our culture because we don't care enough because it costs too much.
Speaker 12: That's why it's important to fight the good fight. And I think that's actually like something they're doing a podcast as part of that, because you're keeping it fresh in people's lines. If people aren't informed about stuff that have they can how can they know? Like this is something we need to preserve, and that's why I think it's cool. But talking about the different cuts of this film, that's why I hope all of the materials are preserved. I'm glad we have this cut. I'm glad we have the GUCCIONI cut. For for all of its flaws, there's still some there's great stuff. There's great stuff in all of them. I wish there was a meeting of the middle. It's part of me wishes we had that too, because man like getting to hear Teresa's voice, getting to see more of the performances, not having to see seeing sex scenes that were far worse than when Kurchie up and he did it to some give him fate praise on that It's the Faint as a praise that shit didn't belong and especially reading about the credit Laurie Wagner, he and the girls use egg whites to look like they were excited, which I don't think is very sanitary to put in another's It seems like a very good way to get an East infection. So say, everybody's learning from this point, don't preserve a film and do not on another's. But seriously, I hope to God that they preserved a tune, especially because a lot of companies anything that the corporation automatically does not have the best futation when it comes to film preservation. It's honestly amazing that we even have this or that even Mission Colligula goten as far as it did, and that was thanks to Kelly for them having a CEO at the time that actually seemed to give a shit about art. It's cool, I don't know, it's cool to have the variations of it. I mean, so, I do think the minute Tinto got pushed out of that film is the minute realistically we lost the chance to version. You can't go back like lots wise, at this far back, I'll just get me a little piles of salt. So I don't know it does. I think, to me, what makes me sad is just all the people that have been hurt by this film now, and I want to say the phil I don't mean just the old bit cut. I just mean this whole thing, and I am but I'm glad at least with those who are still with us we can still hail them. Don't write off Alexander Trushynsky. Don't necessarily write off the Ultimate Cut either, Like, don't write off anybody. Give everybody, but especially get people like alex Give regime because he did all that work. Thank God for his website, which is an exhaustive tribute and so exquisitely researched perfectly, and to tinto who I feel like, even stuff I've still written about this film now, about this particular cut I feel like still gets disparaged, and I think that's out of bullshit. All of the beauty, all of the good stuff in here is because of having a director that had that vision and that had faith in his performers, and that's why all of the actors loved Tinto. I mean, Seiner would have been multiple times. Malcolm mcdale got along with him.
Speaker 15: Great.
Speaker 12: Helen Mirren in that twenty thirteen documentary goes on camera and rapes about him and Tinta his wife, and honestly, is Tinto Bread's a documentary. It's hit or miss, but yeah, he's he seems loose to He seemed lucid to me. I had some narrative problems with some event documentary because I felt like it leaned. Part of it leanked a little too heavy to the persona if that document didn't know what side of the bread it wanted butter because you'd have these great interviews with people and these great shots of some of his like really experimental stuff from the sixties that was so cool to have because a lot of that defined for Americans, and you're like, yeah, that's cool. And then it's like there's Tinto with his hand on some girl's ass smoking a cigar, and it's like, wait, what, like, come on movie?
Speaker 11: They turned it into the South of the Equator version of a Rushmeyer documentary.
Speaker 3: Yes. I reached out to Nico b Over at cult EPX and was asking him because I would love to see what is a Vacation and drop out those two films.
Speaker 12: With They've looked incredible. I love to see you with Vanessa Redgrave and Franco and Nero. Yeah, they look so good. I would love to see those too. Yeah, Nico would do He's done such a great job with so many of Tito's films too. I would love to see him do that. Nico Bee is so cool. We have a lot of love for that company, and they've We've.
Speaker 3: Got a brand new version of Cheeky that's coming out within the next few months, and he said that in twenty twenty five they're going to have restorations of the Key Action and Yankee and unfortunately no Dropout or lav A Conza. So I was really open for those because you can find those in real shitty versions with no subtitles, all dubbed Italian, which doesn't make a whole lot of sense because I don't think Vanessa Redgrave's speaking Italian, and I think since they shot those in England that Narro was probably speaking English as well. Because we know we.
Speaker 12: Can do it yeah, no, his English is fine. God, that would be great.
Speaker 4: I am.
Speaker 12: I am looking forward to having like the Key, and especially because my copy of actions. I have a DVD of it and it's all right, but seeing the cold Epics treatment, that'll be a that'll be a butt for sure.
Speaker 3: I think I wanted to do The Howl next year.
Speaker 12: I love the how that was what would be? That was the first Tinto film I ever wrote about years ago, I don't I can't remember if the editor then it was a lot of time ago. Sometimes we'd use messed up and sometimes he wouldn't, and that tell me. But still setting contributor copies. It was very, very weird. It's sort of like a ancestor to the Panic movement. Maybe that's just me and my own crist is that I really felly get some sort of spiritual ancestor to some of the early works of Potoow Skin a Ball. It's got that energy to it. I mean, it's still in a very teinto way, but it's it's brilliant.
Speaker 11: It's com I've seen the greatest films of my generation. Disembowl No, sorry that wrong?
Speaker 18: How right?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 12: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I hear his biopiccre shell too.
Speaker 11: Mine, Yes, and nobody.
Speaker 12: Wants, but that's good to hear at least, and that's maybe a good silver lighting. And in the sadness, we still get fruition. We still get to compleate teeth of films that weren't tampered with a bum coucierty out there hopefully went more. Hopefully some you know, cult up with stuff. Maybe somebody else could get a hold and do restorations proper for the vacanza and yeah, all of that make it maybe a cute little set, you know, because I mean both of them, you know, Vanessa Redgrave and Frank of Nero. What a fascinating couple, and like they did these two films with tintos like so so needs.
Speaker 11: Redcraf is still live, right, red Grave and Nero are still alive and still married, I guess.
Speaker 12: Which is amazing that that's something. I call it the Tall Man. That's a little tribute to fantasts.
Speaker 3: I thought it was to Jeff Goldbloom, but oh no, the tall guy.
Speaker 12: That's the tall guy. I mean, that's cool. He's now angus sums. I love that we have that. And if anything, this is kind of a cool, like hardcore film person likes. I do like the fact that we have they have different versions at hand, because the Imperial I mean, the Gucci already cut and the Girl Dish are very easy fine, like these are not. Yeah, and so if somebody wants to do a comparison, they can.
Speaker 3: That's the thing I like about the box set that you're coming out on, is the whole idea of having these multiple versions. Yeah, Rob and I have talked about this multiple times as far as like, what do I love about Blade Runner. I can watch the version I like. Rob can watch the version he likes. You can watch the version you like. We all have it. They are still out there, they are preserved. So yes, great, here's this caligulous set with all of these different versions. We are not limited in our choice. I just wish there was one more that had Kushinsky's name on it. But at the same time, at least where they're not saying, well that version doesn't exist anymore, you can never see that. So yeah, we'll be talking even more about that later on this year. I know that my friend Peter Flynn is working on a documentary about lost versions of Star Wars. So those are the ones that you talked about film mode. You know, this is being suppressed by the artist and the company that owns the rights now.
Speaker 11: So so I'm going to ask everyone right now to put on their calendar twenty thirty join us back for episode four of Caligula with the Alexander.
Speaker 12: That would be amazing, See you.
Speaker 3: Wouldn't that be great. I don't know if he can do it, just because his heart was probably broken, you know, I imagine being in that position. We were so hopeful we that Mission Colorgular episode. We were just like, this gotta be right.
Speaker 12: Anytimes somebody has their heart broken with some creative project that they've worked so hard on, that's the kind of loss that hits me. That haunts me all those when you're putting that much kind of work and love into something that part of you that's your DNA and something almost having outset interference in whatever form that's it's a it's like an invasion, kind of like an invasion way. I mean, that's like I think about how Danto his wife's probably taken it over so he doesn't have to hear it anymore. She's like, I'll block it, but he's like, I'll be the I mean, yeah, because God, I mean, the man sent of time, like, let him enjoy his golden ears. I can't even imagine. But yeah, no, but I love that Alexander has channeled everything he's gone through into art. And that's what artists do. If anything, if there is a positive thing to be gained from from his story of this, is that to anybody, especially a creative, always create. Don't let it stop. You, don't let if it's like, Okay, this horrible, shitty thing has happened, your heart is broken, and okay, let's make some mark. Let's channel that. Don't let it fester inside you, don't repress it, don't let it make you bitter, don't let it become like a cancer. You know, you make art, that's what you do, and that's what he did. And I love that to me, just it makes me respect him even more. That's what we all need to do. It's like, sometimes life is getting his things and you can't know his control it, and some of it hurts really fucking bad. But let's go make some art. Let's go make something. Let's create something, Let's preserve something, let's talk about it. That's healthy. We're all healing in this beautiful mess, the catg and you know, make life your own senate and the people of Rome. There's my ted talk.
Speaker 3: I can't imagine talking three hours is about one movie when it comes to a commentary. Now, talking three hours with you two or close to it, that is easy. But doing a solo common terry for three freaking hours, Heather, that's nuts.
Speaker 12: I don't know if you guys got have gone through this without X Chris. I mean, Mike you you have done some commentaries any any boutique labels, like you should also get Rob on some of these because Rob is fucking brilliant. And I still there are lines that you've said and stuff we've done. It still like Live with Me with the Smoker episode. I mean, let's go back to list that episode. That's a fucking I'm so I still wa it ever that I've been a part of. But it was hard, and I think the hardest part was trying to not sound like the micro machine but also keep it because I was trying to keep like things in a natural because I want to be conversational anything I do. I told you guys that in text prior, but even like with my writing because I feel like.
Speaker 1: If you talk at people.
Speaker 12: If you write at them, you're not writing with them, then you're gonna risk of being condescending and talking down. And I hate that. My favorite writers write with you and sometimes make you do the work because of it. But it's a sign of love and it's a sign of respect. It was definitely the most challenging commentary I've ever done, and there were still things that got left out because I really wanted to make it rash here. You don't just want to be repeating the same shit other people, but there's so much which already out there about it. But also do things. Here's something where I could point out that Thomas and Aaron did that's different here, and I did that, and I go into their backgrounds a little bit. Then it's like, this is how Egyptian religion was treated when Caligula was emperor because the temple advice, that whole thing in the movie that was at least according as Legitius is any history books are right because of the whole ventory thing, like it was outlawed until he became emperor and he made it legal. So and in fact there were moves that like go on in Cologulis Ran. It made him initially very popular because there were some some a lot of rulings that Tiberius had done but did not like. Yeah, I'm so trying to do that. Also give credit to a lot of the actors that I don't get, like Teresa, like even some of the everybody's been very sweet, like when you read from the other main actors, but even they sound sometimes sound a little dismissive. And I'm like, she held her own, like, let's give her some part, and she did not do that much after this movie, and she died kind of very early. Yeah, definitely an interesting actress. I think she's a lot better than people give a credit for. I thought she was great in Salon Kitty too. I always try to uncover layers that others looked at with any kind of film research. So I hope I did that and didn't and hopefully.
Speaker 1: To this.
Speaker 12: Oh my god, okay, go CHERI. Yeah, that's how it felt in my head. It felt like a bear and felt like a race. Hopefully kept the cool on the outside.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Heather, Thank you Rob. Thanks both of you for joining me on this third revisitation to Calligula. So yeah, like you said, Rob, maybe in a few years we'll meet again and talk about Little Boots. So until then, Heather, what else are you working on these days?
Speaker 12: No more caligular For now, I will take a moment to plug by Patreon. That's at patreon dot com. Mondoheather. I recently covered the Japanese Evil Dead, which I recommend. I am currently working out a new piece for the Patreon where I'm going to be. I'm currently writing about Alfred Soul's Tanya's Islands.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, that's a classic.
Speaker 12: Yeah in some ways, but I love Alfred Soul and I think his career, his whole career, deserves an article. And maybe that's for the future.
Speaker 3: I don't know if this project is still happening, but if you go back and you listen to some of those episodes that Ashley West was on April, we're working on a movie about or a series I should say about Soul, and it was focused really around deep Sleep, but there were other things in there as well, So yeah, exciting stuff. I know your dog's excited.
Speaker 12: Listen to him. He's like me, we'd love yeah Soul, we love not Realita retword but but no some boroking on that at of course, A seconds fight are finally getting to release the beautiful restoration set of The Hitcher, and I have an essay on that release, which is something I'm massively excited about and something that I'm very excited that is available for pre order and through Saturn's Core is Our World Is Drowning and Growing to Hell, which is a compilation of this underground director named Richard Baylor, who was an American director that moved to England, Ipswich in particular, and made in might you know some of the most evocative and just completely unique underground cinema. They're very dark here, you know, a lot of it's very horror jacent, but they all have a very light punk flavor. And he has such a great eye. He gets compared to cinema of transgression. I shouldn't think he's better than a lot of uh, but he's just different. It's an easy thing to invoke, I think, with underground cinema all but it's like not everything cinema transgressions. But Richard Baylor is amazing. And I do a commentary as well as contributed an essay for that Everything Else Linktrede dot Com, Forward Slash Mondo Hoover and.
Speaker 3: Rob how about yourself. What have you been up to.
Speaker 11: I've been notoriously lazy. I've just written a script and been working on some mating projects for myself. But I've got nothing that anyone can interact with online because I pulls up in the desert, So come find me.
Speaker 12: That sounds like the Hitcher?
Speaker 3: Is that a spirit walk?
Speaker 14: There? You go?
Speaker 11: No, it's all good, though, I said, it's it's it's where I'm at right now, and that's okay. You know, you have moments you're doing a lot of work in somewhere you're not doing a lot, and I just don't have a lot going on right now, and I'm enjoying it, and that's okay.
Speaker 3: And people can still buy your book All about Orbit magazine, which is a fantastic read, and highly recommend it.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 11: And as a matter of fact, this fall will be twenty five years since the end of Orbit, so that was nineteen nine.
Speaker 14: Cow.
Speaker 11: So if if you're a detroiter and you're nostalgic and you haven't checked it out, go get a copy, preferably from Wayne State Breast. Don't buy it from the big store. If you can help it.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much, guys, for being on the show. Thanks to everybody for listening. If you want to hear more of me shooting off my mouth, check out some of the other shows that I work on. They are all available at weirdingwaymedia dot com. Thanks especially to our Patreon community. If you want to join the community, visit patreon dot com slash Projection Booth. Every donation we get helps the Projection Booth take over the world.
Speaker 14: I want to.
Speaker 19: See you cruel as a giant line in my big bike with police sal rides and a huhred gods.
Speaker 18: Looking drop dead delicious, dressed up to the night.
Speaker 19: In the skins of several species, in declib as a set fire to your houses and your cars. I'll be dancing like a dervish vespas.
Speaker 4: Is this what you have fell? Racing around.
Speaker 14: Like a bike.
Speaker 18: It's the ball, my clear juless, It's the fall of Rome, my chula Si. I'll display you in my game show on CEV.
Speaker 19: Called Humanation and hipocurcy.
Speaker 4: Thornorgy call dissolute and adam.
Speaker 18: Every kind deviation on.
Speaker 19: The man so worshed me cold down on.
Speaker 2: Or Alan leash another.
Speaker 19: Gemic coorizy is this watching power feels.
Speaker 4: Racing around my fas like a bike.
Speaker 18: It's the phone I can like Gilson.
Speaker 2: It's the phone, like Gilson, My.
Speaker 20: Big just a little tray, be calling on your hands and waves like slaves?
Speaker 14: And am I so desirable?
Speaker 4: Your are so destructible?
Speaker 20: Do you think his eyes ever gonna end?
Speaker 19: Dance with me, Lass Burney, once you dance with me while I am wires falling.
Speaker 4: Like Nero. Let's make music to the.
Speaker 14: D my calling the less.
Speaker 20: I go.
Speaker 4: You love sh