Speaker 1: Hey, y'all, welcome back to Mountain Murders Midweek. I'm Heather and I'm Dylan. Hey Dylan, what how are you today?
Speaker 2: If I was doing any better, i'd burst.
Speaker 1: I understand that feeling. You know, I'm having a great day as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know when you have that good day after a string of shit days, it just feels really good.
Speaker 1: I'm having a fantastic day. I woke up started tingling and kind of itching all over my body and quickly watched some sort of rash or hive situation just like pop up everywhere.
Speaker 2: Oh God, which is.
Speaker 1: Always fun because I never know what's causing it or why it's happening. But it's not like an irregular thing in my life. Yeah, I see an allergist, right, I think you should, or an internist. Maybe have an autoimmune issue, which I think I do. But anyway, so I woke up all red and rash.
Speaker 2: You always balk at the cost of analergists.
Speaker 1: Well there's that.
Speaker 2: Even if you have good insurance, which we're fortunate to have decent insurance right now, the allergy stuff is always outside of it, like it has a lot of out of pocket it's spens you know, four or five hundred bucks up front, and then we're going to do this and then you know, I don't understand that.
Speaker 1: Well, after being built for like a ninety thousand dollars surgery, recently, I've met my deductibles. So everything I have done from here till the end of the year is zero cost to me. I'm getting my ass into an allergist.
Speaker 2: You need to get everything looked at more red rashie hives for me, I told you, burn it up, come up, make things up, just try everything. You can't just get everything checked out. We need to run all the tests. All this needs to be done before December thirty.
Speaker 1: First, well, here's the thing, Dylan, I don't like to think of myself as vain, though I know I am in some ways because when I do break out like in this rash, like for example, it's all over my face. I don't want to go out in public because I know people will stare at me like I'm a leper, or that maybe I'm bringing them like the haunt of virus or something.
Speaker 2: Just like the modern day scarlet letter, right, except you just have a scarlet face.
Speaker 1: Maybe I should just wear a mask and then people will just think I'm a weirdo who is afraid of COVID again in twenty twenty six. I don't know. I don't know what to do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can tell people you have perma COVID.
Speaker 1: But it really launched my day, you know, just just as you'd want it to, just into this wonderful space.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it seems to be receding. So I mean, it's nice to watch a rash go away quickly as you know, as quick as it came.
Speaker 1: I took a bunch of antihistamines.
Speaker 2: And this is a description of your good day.
Speaker 1: This is a description of my great day. No, I have a lot to look forward to. I'm so proud of my son. He will be graduating from high schoo in a couple of weeks. We have a big trip planned to Michigan watch the graduation and be there for my son. And I'm so excited that he's graduating from high school. I know I've spoken a little bit about Zaying on the pod. He is on the Spectrum. He had a really rough start to life. We were not sure he was going to make it. Had a very lengthy nick you stay. He was on a machine called Ekmo it's like a long bypass machine. Had heart surgery at a very early age. And when I say early age, I mean like two days old, you know. So he had a really rough start to life, and we've had our ups and downs over the years just getting that autism spectrum disorder diagnosis. Especially living in a rural community, it was quite difficult to get that diagnosis for him and then get him the you know, early intervention that he needed. So, you know, I'm just so proud of him because he's come so far since that tee tiny little baby that I held in my arms, you know, that was hooked up to all these machines and had such a rough start. So I'm really looking forward to his graduation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's a big day, and I'm proud of him as well. I've known him for some years now. He's a great little great dude. I say little dude, but he's like six two, yeah, but a skit like a string bean, like one hundred and fifty forty five pounds six y two. But you know, I think some people may nowadays, people may not realize how hard it is or how hard it was on parents back in the day, with things like autism and some of these other things that are just openly talked about and discussed so much nowadays.
Speaker 1: Progress that has been made even in just the last ten to fifteen years to help folks who are on the spectrum, to diagnose children, to recognize their little quirks or milestones maybe they're not hitting, and to get that early intervention. It's so important, right and parents, you you know, my advice always is advocate like hell for your children because that is the only way we got a diagnosis because I would not let it go. I knew my son was not hitting milestones. I knew there were certain things that were going on that were not quote unquote like normal, you know, developmentally for him, and just push like hell. And so mama's I know, we got a lot of mama bears out there. You gotta fight for your kids, man.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Oftentimes you can't take no for an answer. If one doctor just doesn't see, you know, understand what you're talking about, or see it the same way, sometimes you have to get that second opinion and do follow ups and just keep, like you said, keep pushing and nadvocating for your child. It's very important because the early intervention and the early therapies and all these things that they developed which have come a long ways.
Speaker 1: I mean the earlier the better, right, right, So moving forward, after having said all that, we may miss an episode in June, like around the second week of June, we may not have an episode out on time. But we'll make it up to you guys, because we will be out of town, going to take a little vacation, go up north.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's gonna be great, and maybe we can maybe work up a silly, little bonus episode and schedule it to drop. We may figure something out. But our listeners, they're incredible people. They understand that life happens sometimes and it'll be okay.
Speaker 1: And you know, when I go on a road trip, I always like to research places to stop off, maybe interesting roadside attractions or dining spots along the way. So I am checking our route. I'm not quite sure if we're going to go through mostly West Virginia and to Ohio, if we're just gonna go like Tennessee, Kentucky, Ohio like we have done in the past. But I am looking for some interesting roadside attractions and places to dine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So if anyone out there knows are familiar with the route we may take. You'll know it if you're near it. Hit us up, Let us know about the Giant, the world's biggest ball of yarn or something like that.
Speaker 1: Now, there's a place in West Virginia I do keep seeing on social media, and it's called like Hillbilly Heaven. I think that's what it's called. But it's a hot dog like a roadside hot dog place where you can also get married. It's a wedding chapel.
Speaker 2: Dude, that sounds awesome.
Speaker 1: I know, right. So I'm thinking maybe we should stop there, either you know, going up or on our way back, and maybe we were new our vows at the Hillbilly hot dog stand. And then I'll but whatever, I'm not sure what it's called.
Speaker 2: And then I'll get you a foot long. Yeah, yeah, I love.
Speaker 1: I love a good hot dog. I'm not gonna lie.
Speaker 2: I love a solid hot dog too. But I got to say I have a hot dog story of my own. Recently, there was a oh yeah, hot dog joint near where I work at and we'd moved locations, so it's new to me, and I was like another day, I was really hungry after I got off of work and I was like, man, I'm going to grab I'm going to grab one of those hot dogs.
Speaker 1: Hot diggity dog, hot dog.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, You're like, how much can a hot dog be?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: If you're you getting just a dog? I already had my drink, had a little two for a dollar chips.
Speaker 1: It's like a hipster spot because I'm going to guess the hot dog was ten dollars.
Speaker 2: It was two ninety Oh that's nothing.
Speaker 1: Was this economy hunt?
Speaker 2: Hey, I feel like that's high for the kind of hot dog I got.
Speaker 1: Gas is four dollars a gallon right now.
Speaker 2: Because this hot dog was so small, I didn't know they made hot dogs this small.
Speaker 1: It was like a tiny weenie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was like a mini dog. It was like two bites. I mean, I swear it was not a normal size hot dog.
Speaker 1: Oh it sounds cute.
Speaker 2: I could eat like five of these five of these hot dogs. I could eat fifteen dollars worth of hot dogs.
Speaker 1: That's maybe that's what they're aiming for. That's their strategicy right there in place.
Speaker 2: The QT for two ninety five.
Speaker 1: The Quick Trip Baby has a.
Speaker 2: Much superior hot dog than this place.
Speaker 1: Yeah, may have like a special. It's like, what five dollars you get like a dog, a drink and chips for like five five ninety nine something like that. Yeah, yeah, you can't beat it.
Speaker 2: It's one of the best combos out.
Speaker 1: Dylan loves gas station cuisine. We've discussed this before, Dylan. Let's move on. We've got a lot to get to and one of the main stories I would like to discuss is a video that has made its rounds on social media, and the story behind it is wild. So there's a video. Okay. Let me preface this by saying a shooting happened in January when a man named Derek Manigalt got into an argument with another man outside Jacob's Food Mart in Gastonia, North Carolina, and then the confrontation continued inside the store. Now in the video, Managalt can be heard asking the men quote if you wanted to lose his life tonight, before pulling out what Invests stigators later confirmed was a fake gun, right, but.
Speaker 2: It's a very realistic looking fake.
Speaker 1: Manigal holding this replica firearm pointed toward the ground beginning I'm sorry, began walking toward the exit, and that is when an undercover Gastonia Police officer inside the store opened fire a second plane closed. Detective outside heard the gunshots and fired as Manigault ran out of the store with the gun raised. Manigalt collapsed and later died at the hospital. Now, this video has been making the rounds on social media, and of course everyone has an opinion. Most people support the decision that was just released a day or so ago. So this newly released video shows the moments leading up to that deadly officer involved shooting, and the district attorney has ruled it is a justified homicide, meaning no charges will be filed against the officers.
Speaker 2: And I saw the video totally unedited. It's since been kind of censored and pulled from some social media sites, and I have to say I fully agree with their decision to not file charges against the officer. I think everything about that video made it a justified shooting by the officer. He was doing his job in my opinion.
Speaker 1: Well, and it's report the District Attorney's office wrote that the constitution quote does not require police to gamble with their lives in the face of a serious threat.
Speaker 2: Of harm or the lives of everyone else in that store, Because I mean if you will, if you see this video and you'll you'll be able to find it somewhere. I'm sure I think many most people would agree that if you'd been in that store, you would have. In this day and age of mass shootings and just the gun violence that we see.
Speaker 1: The hyper awareness we all have.
Speaker 2: I think that if I've been in there, ought to be like, Thank God, of course, no one knows that this gun is fake.
Speaker 1: It looks like a real gun.
Speaker 2: It's just on the video, utrue, realistic replica of a gun. If if somebody's stuck this gun in your face, you'd probably think it was a real gun.
Speaker 1: Well, Dylan, of course you have folks out there who are defending the I guess you would call him the victim in this case. Derek Manigault that police had no right to shoot that man. It could have been de escalated, that the police officer didn't identify himself before shooting the man. But you can see clearly from the video Manigal exits the store the cop is shooting, he turns around and has his gun raised in the direction of the officer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and so he's been arguing with this guy. And by arguing, I mean threatening.
Speaker 1: Yeah, threatening him, I mean multiple times, do you want to lose your life tonight? I'm not the.
Speaker 2: One A man whose transgression was saying what's up to him outside the store in the parking lot, And so from there it went to you know who? You you don't know who I am? Just a lot of posturing and threats.
Speaker 1: And the second fellow who said what's up explaining I didn't mean anything by it. It was just a friendly hey, what's up?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know reading And he's standing in the store saying do you want to asking the guy if he wants to lose his life over and over again, then pulls a gun out and now he's holding a gun in his hand. So, I mean, honestly, from everyone else's perspective, what do you think the next move is? Because it seems like this guy may be about to shoot this other.
Speaker 1: Person and potentially others in the store. Yeah, he doesn't seem stable. It's not rational to pull a gun, much less a fake gun on people. Well, anyway, let's get into Derek Manigau a little bit. Maybe some of his defenders are unaware that he was only released from prison in twenty twenty five after having served a number of years.
Speaker 2: And what crime landed him in jail for years on end?
Speaker 1: Well, in nineteen ninety eight, Derek assaulted a public official. He communicated threats, He was charged with assault. He also received a first degree burglary conviction as well as a first degree rape conviction. All that in ninety eight. So the guy's been in prison up until twenty twenty three when he was released. His parole was revoked, his post release, you know, all of that was revoked. He served another two years and was released in May of twenty twenty five. So the fella has only been out of prison a year after having served a pretty lengthy sentence on the heinous crime of rape, burglary, assault. Yeah, I insulting a police officer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, these are serious charges. These aren't misdemeanors. These aren't you know, some silly situation where you lost your temper or something like that and threatened someone there. These are significant violent crimes, multiple of them. And now the forty four year old is dead. Now he's dead, but I would argue that it's because of his own actions.
Speaker 1: So it's definitely because of his own action.
Speaker 2: You're convicted felon.
Speaker 1: Think someone who just got out of prison after serving this very lengthy sentence, would be minding their business and watching their.
Speaker 2: Ps and q's staying out of the way.
Speaker 1: And not carrying a fake gun.
Speaker 2: So why does this grown man here? That's another interesting thing to think about. Why does this grown man have a realistic fake gun? What's his intentions with that fake gun? I mean, we don't know. We can't ask him. I mean, unfortunately for him, he lost his life. But I could come up with some ideas as to why he may have this fake gun. For one, he pulls it out and threatens someone on camera with it, So there's one reason he carries this gun around. Could pure speculation on my part. Could it be to pull out on another victim, another woman, and to get her and maybe rape her because he's a rapist, or rob her, or rob her and assault her, or scare someone if he breaks into their house because he's a burglar. I mean, for all we know, this is a person.
Speaker 1: Who's completely incompatible with society.
Speaker 2: Even after all those years he's not.
Speaker 1: He did not learn a lesson by serving this time in prison. He gets out and then here he is a year later, laying on a cold, hard slab, dead as a damn door nail because he acted a damn fool And this is a perfect example a fuck around and find.
Speaker 2: Out it really is.
Speaker 1: And is just hard pressed to understand people who are defending this fella Manigault, like he's just this poor victim and how dare police shoot him? And I guess it's you know, they don't know about his backgrounds, they don't know that he's not supposed to have a firearm, even if it's a fake firearm.
Speaker 2: No, no, he's a convicted fellow and he's not supposed to possess or I'm not sure about the the rule or the law against it being a fake gun, but I'm going to assume he would be in serious trouble if you use that fake gun to commit a crime.
Speaker 1: Self defense is a serious it's a serious right. I believe it's very serious right that we have in this country to be able to defend ourselves. And I'm not sure what is going on, but it seems like in the last ten years we've seen a lot of folks like this movement to get away from defending yourself and that if you practice self defense that you're the villain somehow, and that the person who's actually committing the crime of entering your home, assaulting you, trespassing on your property with you know, malcontent in their brain. We're supposed to just ignore those people when they're making threats, when they're physically, you know, imposing, they're in our space. Daniel Penny comes to mind. Now we've got these officers shooting this fellow who's got a fake gun, but they don't know he's a fake. It's a fake gun, waving it around, threatening to kill people. You should have a right to defend yourself, absolutely, And I just don't understand how you can rationalize that that's wrong.
Speaker 2: It's like all the responsibility has been pushed onto the potential victims in these cases. They're the ones who have to make sure everything's perfect, everything's just right, and they have to try everything under the sun before they end up, you know, going for deadly force or something like that. So I don't agree with that. I think that the victims should get the benefit of a doubt in a situation, not the criminal. If you are committing crimes, and I think our listeners know. I think burglary and stealing property and things like that is a way more serious crime than it's sometimes treated. I think breaking into someone's house, invading their sales.
Speaker 1: Say, if you're willing to be part of a home invasion, yes, I mean to me, that's very violent in itself because when you go into someone's home, they could be there, people could be there, and that lets me know that you are potentially willing to do harm to those people.
Speaker 2: Right, and so if you have an overreaction from a victim of these types of crimes, you know what wouldn't have happened if you hadn't committed that crime in the first place, they wouldn't have had their overreaction.
Speaker 1: Well, let's discuss this for a moment, Dylan. You get a lot of I guess defender people who are you know, anti self defense and think you don't really have a right to pull a gun and shoot someone who's about to harm you or whatever, that that's not your right to take their life. Most of the time, normal everyday citizens like you and me, for example, and probably our listeners, we're not typically like dangerous psychopaths who are just itching to pull a trigger and kill someone, right, right, most normal people, that is the last thing you want to do is to have blood on your hands. And I do truly believe that most people who are put in a situation where they feel their life is at risk, that they must react, they have to do something. They are not people who are just looking for someone to shoot and kill. They're doing this and it goes against every fiber of their being. But they know it's me or you know it's me or you, it's me versus them, and they choose to protect themselves. Those people have to live with that for the rest of their lives. They live with guilt. I'm sure they live with, you know, constant reminders of what they've done. And even though they know, like it was my life or this person's life, that's not easy to live with. So this idea that there's just these crazed folks sitting at home on a pile of weapons, just waiting for someone, I mean, I just think that's really inaccurate.
Speaker 2: And it's not to say there isn't someone out there who may fit that bill, but I think, like you said, for the most part, regular people do not want to be in that situation. And you also have to remember a regular Joe and Jane citizen are not used to violent confrontations they're not used to fighting, scrapping or you know, someone attacking them, and so you know, you have to think about that. They don't know what to do in these situations. They're surprised to be in up in a situation like that, And it's just I don't understand why I've never seen anything like it. It's one of the conversations in our modern day that really just puzzles me is how we have people arguing over whether or not we let these career criminals out of jail. For one, and also in any instance, you'll have people defending the person who was the bad guy in the situation. In the same situation, if that had been a real gun and he pulls it out, and these plane clothes detectives who just happened to be in the store didn't react, didn't react, and this guy starts shooting everyone in the store. And then they find out later there's two plane closed armed cops in there. Why didn't you do something. You're a coward, you're afraid to do your job. You're supposed to protect the citizens, blah blah blah, and that would have been the story. So, I mean, it's really it's just ridiculous. This is a sad situation.
Speaker 1: It's also interesting to me how the media is not releasing any details of this man's criminal past.
Speaker 2: That's what they do. But this is it's not to say this isn't a sad situation. It's not to say that that he this man doesn't have a family who's going to mourn his loss. I'm sure he does family and friends, but I'll bet you a million dollars. There's also people that know him in his neighborhood that were scared of him. Because I just just seeing him in this short clip of a video, I can tell what topic person know.
Speaker 1: He's not a good person.
Speaker 2: He's a violent person.
Speaker 1: He's a scared not a good person. If you serve twenty plus years in prison for rape and.
Speaker 2: Know when you come out when you still got an attitude like that, I mean, I don't know what to say. And I would argue that that community is safer now that he is not in it.
Speaker 1: Word to your mother.
Speaker 2: Gosh, there's just so many of these stories lately.
Speaker 1: You might have said things that hurt people's feelings, but you didn't want, did you.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm not trying to hurt anyone's feeling.
Speaker 1: You didn't lie.
Speaker 2: We all deserve a safe, clean neighborhood.
Speaker 1: We do.
Speaker 2: And I'm sick to death of people's expectation for everyday citizens who are just going along in this hard economy and hard you know, them wraking over.
Speaker 1: Their hard earned money to pay taxes, to live in a community where you have a certain expectation of safety, privacy, right to your private property, and that you can just go about your business. Your kids are going to be safe. You can go to the local park and recreate without fear of someone shooting you, stabbing you, murdering the family pet right.
Speaker 2: Or any of that. But it's like, why do you keep why you keep expecting everyday citizens who are doing all the right things.
Speaker 1: Change of people, and we're expect the majority is expected to endure or change their lives to accommodate this little minority subset of people who choose not to participate in society. Right, And that's that's not how it works. Right, majority typically rules, and we should not have to accommodate people who are dangerous, who are committing crimes, who are threatening our safety, who are destroying our city. I shouldn't have to step in a pile of human feces when I walk downtown.
Speaker 2: Well, no, I mean that's just not.
Speaker 1: And that's a health and safety issue. It's an environmental hazard, and we just should that we shouldn't be expected to just deal with it because that's just how it is. Right.
Speaker 2: Well, no, And people will say, okay, you're talking. Maybe if a homeless person shit on the sidewalk in front of the door of a business, they'll say, well, where they supposed to they don't have a house. Well I don't know where they're suppose to go to the bathroom, but I can tell you where they shouldn't, And that's on the sidewalk, in front of a business, in front of kids, in front of regular people. That's where you should not, ever, as a functioning adult, take a shit, find a bush, or piss any of that. Find a bush, find a bush, go behind a tree, go off in the ditch.
Speaker 1: Like if there's a nice planter in front of the business, Oh yeah, some plants go shit in the planter. I'd rather you shit in the planter in front of the business than shit on the sidewalks. Not only are you affecting just society, people walking down the street, kids seeing this whatever. But the small business owner, but yeah, has to clean that up, must clean that up. And then they're dealing with this issue every day, and then they start to lose customers because nobody wants to be in that neighborhood or be in that area. And it's like a domino effect.
Speaker 2: And dare I say that's a biohazard that someone shouldn't have to deal with it?
Speaker 1: Exactly?
Speaker 2: I might not have the proper ppe designate a ditch a shit ditch, shit in the planner, go shit in the ditch.
Speaker 1: Okay, Dylan, Well, let's move along here. I love every episode. We somehow managed to incorporate shitting, all right, So this blows my mind. The State Supreme Court of South Carolina overturned Alec Murdaw's murder charges in the shooting deaths of his wife and younger son. They've overturned his conviction and his life sentence.
Speaker 2: This is huge, breaking news on a very notable case.
Speaker 1: State Attorney General Alan Wilson said his office respected the court's decision, but no one is above the law. In a unanimous ruling Wednesday, the South Carolina Supreme Court said the conduct by the court clerk quote egregiously attacked Murdaw's credibility by suggesting to jurors his testimony could not be trusted. They also said the trial judge went too far in allowing evidence of Murdall's financial crimes in to his murder trial. But he will not be getting out of prison. The fifty seven year old pleaded guilty to stealing around twelve million from his clients and is currently serving a forty year federal sentence, but he.
Speaker 2: Will be getting a completely new trial.
Speaker 1: Well. Still, this ruling is a win for murder, who admits to being a thief and a liar, an insurance cheat, and a bad lawyer, but has denied killing his wife and son since he found their bodies outside their home in twenty twenty one.
Speaker 2: Gosh, that was such a crazy you know, that was such a crazy story when it happened, and as the story developed, you know, I think many remember some of the major details. You know, his son who was killed, and his son and wife were shot in the driveway of their large estate property first, and then you had the son had been involved in a boting accident that led to the death of someone, and so people were like, oh, is this retribution for that, you know, you had all that in the mix, and then you hear that their father, Alex Murdau, has been attacked on the side of the road and maybe shot in the head. You're like, wow, is someone hunting this family down? You know, You're like, what is really going on here? And then as the rest of the story came out, you just don't even know what to think that it turns out it was him and likely the attack on him on the roadside there was a stage.
Speaker 1: Myrdal's lawyers also argued before the High Court that the judge in the twenty twenty three trial made rulings that prevented a fair trial, such as allowing evidence of Murdaal stealing from his clients that had nothing to do with the killings but bistres against him.
Speaker 2: Do you agree with that component of it?
Speaker 1: I believe the financial crimes directly relate to the murders of his wife and son.
Speaker 2: I agree. And the reason I think his whole all his fraud and everything was coming to a head. He was in big trouble with his partners at the law.
Speaker 1: Firm's very common among family annihilators. Yes, when they are experiencing some kind of financial turmoil.
Speaker 2: Or reputational ruin.
Speaker 1: We've seen this with John List and others. They resort to killing their families.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and we can't forget that his family had been in seats of power in that area for many, many generations, and so obviously his reputation and family name was on the line as well. And then we have he has a drug addiction that was, you know, obviously not helping the financial and dude, the way he was cheating those people he represented to the degree that he was was really disgusting. I mean, he was taking the line's share. And we all know lawyers get a big chunk of settlements and things that this guy was taking ninety ninety five percent and giving them five or ten percent, And that is just I mean, that just goes against everything you're supposed to be doing as a lawyer to help help people and represent them and get them justice. It's really disgusting.
Speaker 1: Because you are planning to sue you know, a like a you know, an insurance issue or something like that, and you're planning to sue someone and hoping to get a settlement, you really should shop around. You're a lawyer. For a lawyer, there are many attorneys out there who will do kind of like an upfront like, this is how much I will take if we win.
Speaker 2: This is my feed and it'll be.
Speaker 1: Like ten percent or whatever. So you kind of have an idea moving forward with this person what to expect. I would never get in bed with a lawyer who's not going to be upfront with me and honest with me about their fee or or the extent of what moneys they will be recouping.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I at least have to know what percentage you expect out of the settlement. But then you have people who are suing because you know someone's died accidentally, or you know the holding or holding someone libel, or they have a lifelong medical condition after the accident and they need that money for medical care and things like that, and this guy's robbing them blind. I mean, how disgusting. I think that was, like you said, directly tied to his motivation to commit this crime.
Speaker 1: His attorneys also detailed the lack of physical evidence. There's no DNA or blood found splattered on Murdaw or any of his clothes, even though the killings were at close range with powerful weapons that were never found prosecutors argued that the clerk's comments were fleeting and the evidence against Murdaw was overwhelming. His lawyer said that didn't matter because the comments. A juror said that this clerk made urged yours to watch Murdall's body language and listen to his testimony carefully, removing the presumption of innocence before the jury ever deliberated.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, this is crazy, but I mean I stand behind for as far as the system goes. In our system of justice, you have to be careful because you can't this is the kind of situation that can arise. But I do believe that the evidence was overwhelming.
Speaker 1: Personally, and if you're unfamiliar with the clerk of court, her name is Becky Hill and she was assigned to oversee the evidence and the jury during the trial. Allegedly, she influenced jurors define Murdall guilty because she hoped to improve sales of a book she was writing about the case. Wow, And the name of the book was Behind the Doors of Justice the Murdaw Murders, and it was pulled from publication after plagiarism allegations were made and as her book suggests it turns out that she was quite busy behind the doors of justice, thwarting the integrity of the justice system she was sworn to protect and uphold. According to one of.
Speaker 2: The justices, well, and I would like to if all that's true, she should be fired and she should never be able to hold any other position in or near a courthouse, because that is that's really inappropriate. And now look what you've done. You're going to cost the taxpayers another you know, bunch of money because for some reason, these trials cost millions of dollars. I've never understood the call. I mean, I get people's salaries and things like that, but these these prices they say that these trials costs really blows my mind because if you go set in court, what you will see, typically, and I'm not being a lot of murder trials is a bunch of people who don't really want to do their job. They want to continue everything and want keep the revolving door going.
Speaker 1: And maybe that's just where we lived.
Speaker 2: Maybe, but it certainly was a joke of a kangaroo court, if.
Speaker 1: You will, it was something else.
Speaker 2: Because when you would force this in this area, when you would force them to actually go through the motions of a trial or you know.
Speaker 1: Whatever, I want this case tried today.
Speaker 2: That lines up with your rights as a citizen and the constitutional rights you have. Oh my gosh, you've never seen anything like it. It's so funny.
Speaker 1: They'll quickly backflip into deals and dropping the charges and negotiating with the other party, and let's get this all straightened out so we can go golf. Anyway, The justices and their ruling praise the prosecutors, the defense team, and the judge for outstanding work, and heaped almost all of the blame for having to retry Alec Murda again on Becky Hill.
Speaker 2: Wow. Yeah, I wonder if she'll face any kind of uh ramifications.
Speaker 1: Possibly, But don't ask me, because I don't have that information for me, right.
Speaker 2: No, I'm just I'm just curious. I have to follow up on that, Dylan.
Speaker 1: This is something that we must discuss because we are truly living in an upside down world. I just do not understand anything that's happening around me. A California politician stepped down from her role as mayor after being charged with acting as an illegal agent for China.
Speaker 2: You know, when I was younger, this would have been a huge story, yes, because I remember there were some spies uncovered and outed.
Speaker 1: And you know in the eighties and early nineties, they.
Speaker 2: Can be put to death. Treason is treason, and it is a can be a death sentence. And no, it's like this is called this is lost in the noise, because that's all there is now is noise, and it's like nobody even takes a second to to talk about how bad this is and what she was doing in the service of the People's Republic of China. A don't kill the messenger. That's what the reports are saying. We're pretty pretty ludicrous, right, because she ran, you know, some media that was directly connected to American Chinese community in her area, and so she was getting direction from officials in China to put pro pro Chinese news or pro government Chinese government news, and to really kind of push that into the narrative and push that out to the American Chinese community here, which is very strange.
Speaker 1: Fifty eight year old Eileen Wang was charged in federal court with the felony count and this was on Monday, May eleventh. Later that day, a spokesperson said she'd resigned from her position as mayor and council member for the city of Arcadia. In a press release. She was sworn in as mayor of Arcadia, a city in Los Angeles County, on February sixteenth, So she's not been in office very long. The US Attorney's Office said that Wang is expected to plead guilty in the coming weeks. Yeah, it's pretty wild. So according to prosecutors, Wang admitted in a plea agreement that she and Yo Ning Mike Son sixty five of Chino Hill's work together promoting pro People's Republic of China propaganda in the United States from late twenty twenty through twenty twenty two. The pair were able to do so by running a website called US NewsCenter that purported to be a new source for local Chinese American the local Chinese American community.
Speaker 2: Now, get this interesting setup in Arcadia there. So you have a five person city council, right, and the mayor. In a rotation, each member of the council serves as mayor. So she wasn't She was voted into the council seat, but she was never technically voted in as mayor because their system actually just rotates the mayoral position amongst the five members of the council seat. Okay, isn't that weird. I've never heard of a set of different quite as I've never you know, almost I could see. I could argue there's benefits of that, you know what I'm saying too, because so because sometimes a mayoral kind of get a stranglehold on a community and for whatever reason they have the the name recognition, or you know, they're a big wig, or maybe they're moneyed or whatever, they have all the right connections and kind of just have a stranglehold on a community.
Speaker 1: Well, I would say the city council or aldermen, the county aldermen, commissioners like, however, you have that in your local area, I would say they wield a lot more power than the mayor.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, yeah, that's true. The mayor honestly.
Speaker 1: Almost seems like a figurehead.
Speaker 2: Especially of smaller communities.
Speaker 1: I mean, yes, just based on having lived in small communities right most of my life. I've lived in major cities as well, But it does seem to me that the mayor doesn't really have a lot of power. They maybe will break a tie if there's like a vote something like that, but for the most.
Speaker 2: Part, they're almost just like a spokesper.
Speaker 1: I think the town council, the city commissioners, the local the actual like elected officials you know in that capacity are more powerful. Well, they certainly have more coordinances and stuff like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, zoning alone, the power to zone and change that has a much more significant impact on your local area than maybe anything to marit does.
Speaker 1: Wang and Sun took directions from the PRC government officials to post pro PRC content on the website. Federal prosecutors further ledge that they engaged in communications with p RC officials via encrypted messages on we Chat about pre written news articles. After Wang was instructed to publish these specific articles to her site, she would share the data with PRC officials, confirming that the article had been seen more than fifteen thousand times.
Speaker 2: Now, I wonder if she was what was her Was it just an allegiance to China, the government of China, or was she being paid for this service, and like how much of an impact was that actually having. So I'm just really trying to figure out what her motivation would be to do something that even though what she was doing was pretty minor, but in reality it's actually a very very big deal. It's technically treason.
Speaker 1: I don't have the answers to those questions. I know possibles were involved, but maybe she just did it. She did it for the love of the game.
Speaker 2: Ah, I see, She's like, look at my Facebook as soil, I get so many heads. Kind of I can't. I shouldn't do that. No, okay, I won't do it anymore.
Speaker 1: All right, Dylan, you are very inappropriate. Let's move along here. This is wild stuff. Of course, we love our South Carolina crime stories. We just discussed Alec Murdau. Let's discuss a Florence County woman who was busted with pills stamped with a fake Louis Vauton logo and enough of them to kill one million people, according to the Florence County Sheriff's office.
Speaker 2: Wait a second, those Louis Vauton fake fentanyl pills were that was in South Carolina too. Look, I'm gonna go ahead, and I'm gonna go ahead and say it.
Speaker 1: Do you buy your drugs based on the designer logo stamped in the pill? I'm is this a thing?
Speaker 2: I'm just a no. I can't imagine anyone who's actually doing the drug cares, but you know people do. It's really common in heroin.
Speaker 1: Can I get a Chloe stamp? Because I'm a big Chloe that's that's a designer. I'm really into their clothes. Can I get a Chloe stamp?
Speaker 2: People brand their heroin, their brand their drugs, so people know where it came from. So if they like it, you know, they come in search of the Louis Vatam fentanyl pills. But oh yeah, well I think it's common. And the only reason I know this, I've never even seen heroin is just from shows, from things like Yeah, and when you're in a highly competitive market, you want to brand your drugs. So when you got the fire, if you will, people will know it's yours and they'll it'll actually you'll have an uptick in your market share.
Speaker 1: Right, there's a show on that Geo Trafficked and it escapes me. The journalist's name.
Speaker 2: She's a female, which blonde headed woman. Right, Yes, I.
Speaker 1: Really like that show. She actually gets down and dirty with like fentanyl traffickers. She'll watch them make the fentanyl pills all the way from you know, buying the products in Mexico, make the pills, transporting them into the United States, you know, all the way to like distribution, gangs picking it up, street sales being made, and it's a pretty interesting show if you like that sort of thing.
Speaker 2: So.
Speaker 1: On May seventh, deputies assigned to the department's Criminal Enforcement Unit were on patrol on Interstate ninety five when they pulled over a car for speeding near the one sixty four mile marker. During the stop, the deputy reported a positive canine alert to the odor of narcotics coming from the vehicle. It was searched and revealed two kilos a fentanyl, which is four point four pounds.
Speaker 2: Damn.
Speaker 1: The street value of the seizure is a quarter of a million dollars.
Speaker 2: You know, we've seen all kinds of different drugs come and go. I have you know, you know I'm approaching fifty. I may have mentioned this, I'm approaching fifty. I'm forty eight fifty. But I'll get to say, and when I think about it, I've seen, you know, as people get I understand now why you kind of get like this uh error about you, this wise wiseeness. I don't know this wisdom if you will, because you've seen some shit. You know, you've been around almost five decades.
Speaker 1: I've seen some shit and I would not recommend it.
Speaker 2: That's a long time, right, And we've seen drugs. I've seen drugs come and go Heather as well. And what I don't understand about the fentanyl because at first it was oh my god, there's putting their They're lacing other drugs with fentanyl and it'll kill you. And people's like, oh shit, I don't want fentanyl. It's you know, to kill you. But very quickly people just kind of the I guess the worst of the addicts or the most strong addicts very quickly just switched over to well, well, I'll just do fentyl. I'll just learn how to do it right. I'll build my tolerance up and then you know, I keep my narcan with me and my buddy can hit me with the narcan if I do too much, and then I can come back alive, and then I can do more fentanyl. And I just don't understand. I don't understand what's going on with it.
Speaker 1: I don't understand a lot of things when we get into drug addiction. I don't understand gas station heroin creat them. I don't understand using synthetic opioids taking bath salts right, potentially, you know, you might eat someone's face. I don't understand any of that, but I'm also not seeking I guess a high.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, you're I mean, when it comes to that, your your squareness is maybe what stock which is good? It's good. Oh, you know you should be that way and avoid those types of things.
Speaker 1: But my brain is wired to just just go ahead and experience all the misery that the world wants you to experience. Don't escape it.
Speaker 2: You're just headlong like a sober as a judge. And here, oh my gosh.
Speaker 1: In the shit storm without an umbrella. Let it smack your right in the face. Oh god, Okay, I'm just I'm just free wheeling out here. Dylan now, Melissa Seue Ellen Blair Danceler. That is quite the name. Thirty one of Myrtle Beach was arrested in charge with trafficking infentanyl, a murder beach back in the news. So Under South Carolina law, trafficking infentanyl of this amount carries a mandatory penalty of imprisonment of not less than twenty five nor more than forty years, plus a fine of two hundred thousand dollars.
Speaker 2: Damn I believe they found those drugs in a spare tire.
Speaker 1: She's being held at the Florence County Detention Center without bonds. I guess when I stop and pause for a moment, I mean, we hear of these drug busts all the time. But to have enough pills to kill one million people and you live in an area like Murder, I mean Myrtle Beach, a tourist area where you have a high likelihood of being able to sell these pills to tourists. I mean, think of the number of people that could have been killed.
Speaker 2: One million people.
Speaker 1: That's a lot of people.
Speaker 2: Dylan, Well, it's a lot of people. Though oftentimes I would say that they overestimate the street value, or maybe they overestimate. Well, let's say it's just hundreds of thousands. That's still a lot of people.
Speaker 1: We have to discuss this, Dylan. Last I believe it was last midweek, you mentioned a documentary thirst Trap or a docuseries that you had previewed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh, you have viewed. Oh I watched it all.
Speaker 1: It is called trap first trap, right, yes, because I'm not fully aware of that. I only learned about it because you told me. You informed me as well as the listeners the looks maxing thing again something I am. I'm completely in the dark because I'm old and i have a life. I'm not on social media. A TikToker influencer popular in this looks maxing space has been arrested on fifteen counts of child pornography possession, according to authorities.
Speaker 2: Oh who is this?
Speaker 1: Eighteen year old Mason Holl. According to a probable calls Affiday David obtained by WWSB News, the girlfriend of eighteen year old Whole was looking through his phone when she allegedly found links to child sexual abuse material, as well as purported evidence that he was selling such images. When deputies arrived at his home, Hull allegedly admitted that he used the app Telegram to find sea sam material. His fund was seized and authorities found that he had photos and videos of girls ages six to ten being forced into situations with adult men. And I'll leave it there.
Speaker 2: What a piece of shit.
Speaker 1: He goes by hullo hu Llo on TikTok and has about three hundred and fifty thousand subscribers as a looksmaxer.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm glad he max Auto's looks for when he goes to prison.
Speaker 1: His content is reportedly popular among young men who want advice and to pay for services to improve their physical appearance. And at present his account is now private.
Speaker 2: Well you know, okay, TikTok, riddle me this. How does this guy have an account period anymore? You know, I can say that those people are acting like trash and get you know, threats to be banned completely. But this guy can have c spam material see sam or s spaan. Let's be honest. Is that like, yeah spam not without my colonoscamy. But yeah, so he can have this mess and still have a platform. Okay, that makes sense. And now have you heard of some of these procedures. Now you have the this guy and people like Clavi clavicker, clavicular whatever, cluvicular and a few of these other guys, they will actually have these procedures, uh, plastic surgery procedures to make themselves more attractive for the men. It's things like your jawline and some of the more extreme surgeries are leg lengthening surgeries to make you taller, which is obviously a pretty invasive procedure.
Speaker 1: I don't need that surgery. It's then I can live out my dreams as a pro you know, basketball NBA player.
Speaker 2: Honey, they can't add that much leg to you that you would need. I disagree to be like regular size.
Speaker 1: I'm like, I'm motherfucking Larry Bird up in here.
Speaker 2: Okay, you're like a Just let me be like one of them little tiny snickers.
Speaker 1: I wish I was a baller.
Speaker 2: You're like a Halloween snicker.
Speaker 1: Get me on the court and I'm troubled.
Speaker 2: Dylan, Yeah, what'd you do last week?
Speaker 1: I'll be kicking your ass on the court. That's why you don't be playing me.
Speaker 2: You fucked around and got a triple double.
Speaker 1: You know, No, I was too busy in the fat burger. Hull allegedly told him that investigators that he sought out sexual abuse material to see Sam the child sexual abuse material because he wanted to try something.
Speaker 2: Quote now, now, I actually heard someone flow to theory the other day that actually pertains to this, that this this is where okay, how do I say this? This is where the easily accessed porn at early ages and all this stuff like that it actually leads you down this path to where you're not a person who like is just oh my god, God, you know, I want to be with a kid like you're always thinking about it.
Speaker 1: Child, I'm actually the one. I believe that we had the society.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: I have a theory that if you have a pornography addiction, that it can often lead you to seek out.
Speaker 2: Sea some material because you've seen so much and you've seen such visitized that yes, you have to go there. You have to keep continuing to go to the more darker and the more taboo to kind of I guess, feel something if you will, a feel of thrill if you will. And I think that maybe explains because you often say, how in the world is that this many people in the world, And that might actually explain that that's how millions of people end up on these sides, at these images. Gateway drug is they've just you know, had so much smut in their lives.
Speaker 1: I could be wrong, but I do view pornography as like this gateway drug to some of the more extreme and taboo imagery or videos you might find out there. And maybe I'm wrong.
Speaker 2: Now I think you're right. I think you're right in a way because you know, just why what why happened to porn you know, I mean, it used to be just you know, you could search out the more niche, depraved, fetishy, like really weird shit. You could look. You could find that stuff if you looked for it.
Speaker 1: Now it's just a category.
Speaker 2: But now it's just yeah, it's a category, or just the titles alone, or just the setup or what they're acting like they are and all this like it's really gross and it goes downhill so fast, you know, if you are to look at something like.
Speaker 1: That, Man, we're just old farts. Now.
Speaker 2: No, I don't you know. I used to be way more a live and let live type. But I mean, you just have to notice what some of this stuff seems to the effect it seems to be having on society.
Speaker 1: My concern is the effect it has on very young people who are able to access pornography through the Internet because it is so readily available and easily accessible. When we were growing up, you were quote unquote lucky if you found like a stash of Playboy magazines right under your dad's work bench or something in the garage or at your uncle's house something like that, or maybe some friend out a sleepovers, like hey, watch this and they have some old VHS porno tape from like nineteen eighty four.
Speaker 2: It's all fuzzy yes and bush everywhere.
Speaker 1: It's ginger line or something. But nowadays, I mean kids, they have such access and they see pornography at such young ages, and it really does have an impact on their development their brains. It's not good. I mean, we've seen it. It's got a very negative impact. And I think of all the addictions we discuss and that are in the forefront, you know, addictions to drugs, alcohol, gambling, sex addiction, and pornography addiction is still not part of the mainstream conversation. We don't discuss it enough, and I do feel like it is a real problem, and you do have a lot of folks out there who are suffering from sex addiction, pornography addiction, and that it can lead them to very bad places. Just as alcohol can lead you to dark places, drugs can lead you to dark places. It's no different.
Speaker 2: Seeing this, this ease of access across many many serious things in society. Now. For one, there's almost this steroid craze amongst young people. The books Maxings, well, that's part of the looks Maxing. And the fact is, when I was a kid, you were told steroids are bad and everything you saw about it. I mean I lived through the home run runs of Martin McGuire and Sammy Sosa and Barry Bonds, and it was very exciting. They're breaking records, they're just driving balls out, literally out of the ballpark, and you were like, what the hell. But you were also told, oh my god, they're using steroids, and you were again reminded how it's not.
Speaker 1: Goodgerous specials about like high schoolers using roid's and roid raging.
Speaker 2: Aah, yeah, I'm ripping the wall out. And then with the wrestlers, you know, same old song and dance. It's bad. You don't do that, it's you know, and they talk about all the help side effects and how you know all this stuff. Well now that's not even the discussion anymore. And you can literally go online right now. And you also had to know a guy. It was like, no different than any other. Yeah, well there's multiple I'm no expert, but there's various forms now of it, like trend and all this stuff like that. But you can you can get it, you can order it online. You don't have to know a guy. You don't have to you know, go to some meathead gym and you get to know people and then buy in the showers kind of shit like that. I mean, you know, it's it's easier to.
Speaker 1: Meet me in the shower and some fella just opens up his uh trench coat.
Speaker 2: No, it's his lat he just opens his ladder.
Speaker 1: And it's lined with various roids.
Speaker 2: And it's the same thing with porn boom. It's everywhere. It's easy to find. You have steroids and you have now it's the gambling used too. You knew had to know a book you had to know a bookie, you had to know a guy, you had to know somebody who's running numbers or whatever, and that was possible, but it was are defined, dude, These young people, they are just getting ringed by gambling addictions. And it's all legal. It's all above boys. I can get an app right now in almost every state.
Speaker 1: Nearly every other podcast ad is for like that online. Yeah, one of those you watch gambling apps.
Speaker 2: You watch TV and that's all it is. Either it's a commercial for a drug that is for exema, which I know Exma is a terrible thing, but it's always these drug commercials.
Speaker 1: Skyrizzy, I don't.
Speaker 2: Know who names these things or some gambling shit. And these these are not good. These are not things that are good for society. And I think they're just way too accessible. And I think years from now we're going to see that this is truly the age of excess and it's going to have bad, a bad outcome for many people.
Speaker 1: Well, we have yet to see the true ramifications of life online. A generation that never knew life without the internet, without a smartphone in your hand twenty four to seven.
Speaker 2: Well, these kids are addicted to it. That's like a drug. I mean, it makes their brain act the same way these kids free lose their shit, want to fight and tear the house up if you take their devices away, cut them off from the Internet.
Speaker 1: Oh I know. I've parented teenagers and have taken phones away, and I am fully aware of the reaction that comes with that, because they truly do have an addiction. They cannot be disconnected from that phone for just a minute. No, all right, Dylan, we got to talk about this. Our last story. This happened just outside of Asheville. Very important to talk about. A man charged with the murder of three people in North Carolina last week told a Tennessee judge on Monday that he would consider waiving extradition to return to the state to face charges. Devin Loving twenty eight eight, appeared in court in Severe County, Tennessee, and indicated that he would agree not to fight extradition so he could return to Bunkhom County. He faces three counts of murder and one count of conspiracy to commit murder in the deaths of Travis and Kimberley Grant and Sharon Grant, and he also faces a charge of kidnapping a juvenile in North Carolina.
Speaker 2: What the hell a triple murder?
Speaker 1: Yeah, so it's a pretty wild story. After several welfare checks this family was discovered, these three family members were discovered murdered inside their home, their teenage the couple's teenage daughter sixteen was missing. Yeah okay. So during Monday's hearing, the judge ordered a no bond hold on Loving, who acknowledged that he faces triple murder counts in Buncom County, North Carolin, Rollina. Loving would be appointed a public defender and that he did have a right to consult with an attorney before agreeing not to fight that extradition. He is currently being held in Tennessee on a fugitive from justice charge, and basically the fugitive from justice charge serves as a mechanism to answer to out of state charges. New court records say authorities made contact with Devin Loving at a Motel six in Gatlinburg on Friday, May eighth. The records say he was wanted out of North Carolina for kidnapping a juvenile identified a sixteen year old star Grant. Loving was taken into custody at the Motel six by Gatlinburg police.
Speaker 2: Now, I don't I guess. We don't know if she went with him willingly.
Speaker 1: We don't know for sure. Authorities say when they entered the room to make the arrest, they found both suspects in a bed together, had to pull them apart and separate them okay. Investigators believe the pair had been staying there for at least four or five days. They have not confirmed the nature of their relationship, though family members have spoken to local press with indications that it is possible Stargrant's parents, who were victims of this triple homicide, had issues with her seeing this older man, right that she would take breaks from her job to go meet him in the parking lot.
Speaker 2: Things like that. This is an age old situation.
Speaker 1: He reminds me of like the Charles Starkweather Carolyn Fuget pace where they murder her family and then they take off.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it's no different. I mean it's almost in a way, no different than the Gypsy Road story. I mean they murdered her mother and took off.
Speaker 1: Star Grant is also charged with the deaths of her parents and grandmother. She's also being held in the Severe County Juvenile Facility, and although she is sixteen, they are charging her as an adult.
Speaker 2: And that's not to say that now, how old is he?
Speaker 1: Twenty eight?
Speaker 2: Oh, so this is totally disgusting. He should not be having any contact with.
Speaker 1: This twenty eight and she's sixteen.
Speaker 2: It's certainly not a Romeo Juliet situation. He is a piece of shit on many many counts, obviously, and she's not old enough to of course, you should never want anything bad. She's being manipulate, Let's be honest. She's definitely being manipulated by this twenty eight year old shipbird. There's no way around that. And it'll be interesting because oftentimes in these situations, you know, the it's usually a girl. It ends up being a victim of sorts of the perpetrator as well, even though even if they seemed like they were on board with what was going on, it's usually not really the case. So it'll be interesting to see how that case develops as far as she is concerned. But my god, two generations of a family murdered because this guy who's pushing thirty wouldn't stay away from their sixteen year old daughter. I mean, come on, and that's right there is why you got to keep that hot lead for somebody like this dude.
Speaker 1: You got to Court records say that Star Grant was adopted by the forty one year old victim, Travis Grant in twenty nineteen. Previous court records also state that Travis was married twice before, once to one of the other victims, Kimberly Grant. Okay, so it seems maybe he is her stepfather and adopted her. Not one hundred percent on that, I mean, it's really sad. So when Buncom County Sheriff's Office were called out to eighteen Ashworth Drive around seven point fifteen on Thursday, May seventh, they entered the home and they found the three people dead. Authority said. The victims were found with gunshot wounds. They also learned that Star Grant, who lived at the home, was unaccounted for, and then they were able to track them to Gatlinburg, North Carolina or I'm sorry, Gatlinburg, Tennessee from North Carolina.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because they probably took their credit cards and debit cards and that's what they were using to finance her trip. Because that's how smart this dumb ass guy is. Yeah, like they can't see that.
Speaker 1: Wow, I mean, what did they actually think would happen? That they would murder her family and then go to Gatlinburg on vacation and then where were they going to go from there? Or were they just planning to kind of have this romantic week together before law enforcement caught up.
Speaker 2: Well, it always seems like there's a kind of a desperation to a situation like this, and it's like the couple involved. Again, we don't know how involved she was in the actual murders or she wanted that to happen or anything. We don't know that, but it's almost like they're just trying to stay together as long as they can, though they always it always comes to an end. Oh my god, dude, and see that. Even though that's our last story, we might have to do another episode, like in another day or two because there is so much going on. There's literally so much going on right now that in the world of true crime that you even almost you can't keep it well.
Speaker 1: Speaking of Gallinburg, I'll leave you with this, Dylan. A black bear managed to lock itself inside a hotel bathroom in Gatlinburg, and this wild viral video has made the rounds. The bear racked up fifty dollars in damages by breaking a mirror.
Speaker 2: Just fifty dollars. Yeah, you know, that reminds me of those people had those luxury cars and they tried to do an entrance scam by saying that a bear got inside of the cars. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we discussed that a few.
Speaker 2: Years ago on the pod and it was them. They faked it. They faked the bear like ripping, you know, try they tore up the interior and shit, what dumbasses.
Speaker 1: Well this is interesting, Dylan. So the Gatlinburg Police Department responded to what is just truly a peak great Smoky Mountains call.
Speaker 2: This week, a bear and a bathroom call.
Speaker 1: They get a bear locked in a bathroom inside the quality in in suites in the down Town area. According to the police report, officers responded to the motel around two thirty three am Friday after receiving this report from an employee. The employee observed a bear enter an exterior bathroom and lock itself inside.
Speaker 2: Nice.
Speaker 1: I mean, God forbid, the guy just wants a little bit of privacy, y'all.
Speaker 2: That's an awesome hotel that has exterior bathroom stead well.
Speaker 1: The footage shows officers carefully opening the bathroom door before the confused bear casually strolls out. He heads down the sidewalk to freedom. Of course, officers and bystanders scatter out of the way. One officer beats six together while they both holler to deter the animal, and it seems like the bear had no interest in the humans anyway.
Speaker 2: I will guarantee you that somebody on site said go on get.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm sure, I'm sure that it was said. It seems like the officers did handle the situation perfectly. Nobody was injured, the bear wasn't harmed, and the only damage was just minor property damage to a mirror that was broken, and that was estimated to be about fifty dollars worth of damage.
Speaker 2: And the bear has been ordered to pay fifty dollars in restitution to the Quality in and Sweet, And now all they have to figure out is how many berries it actually takes to equal that fifty dollars value. So the bear's working on that. Okay, all right, geez, what next? I don't know.
Speaker 1: He's gonna make us way down the street, get an airbrush, T shirt, sample some free moonshine, and maybe pop in the store for a half pound of that delicious Some'meor's fudge.
Speaker 2: Yeah, or maybe some smoke Road fudge.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: You know, the bears have come a long way since the day of the the bear dens, the bear holes where they would keep them locked up and feed them.
Speaker 1: Like bear pits.
Speaker 2: Bear it. Yes, yeah, so the bear's been freed. And I think that's a good thing. I think that after all these stories of turmoil, murder, violence that you've just went over, I think it really shows that there is a chance for humanity because the bears are out of the pits and they're in the Quality and in Sweet's bathroom.
Speaker 1: I mean, come on, they're being trained. Maybe the bears trained to use the toilet.
Speaker 2: Well, I could barely get through that story, all right. Thank you for those stories. Heather. We've got to drop another up.
Speaker 1: You are welcome, Dylan.
Speaker 2: We've got to drop another like a bonus of Midweek, because there's more we need to get to. There's crazy ass stories we didn't even make it to, so until next time. And I also, Heather, I want to thank you for those that two parter that we just dropped, just finished case, the Releasia rud case, the Poor Little Girl. Such a sad story, but I enjoyed going over that case with you, and thank you to our listeners.
Speaker 1: I'm looking forward to dropping our next episode, Dylan.
Speaker 2: I can't wait to see what it's about. Bye bye,