Speaker 1: This is I on the Ball with Steve Rivera on Fox Sports fourteen fifty powered by Nova Insurance Services ensure your most Prized possess yets.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome to I'm About here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. Good after Rearon, everybody, I'm Steve Rivera and with me today is Mike Quinn.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I am in.
Speaker 2: We brought the kids in today to run the show here. We got Ray and we got Juan, so it should be a good discussion with a couple of great guests after a big weekend. What was your analogy coming in with the sugar high blah blah blah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean today, like I said, today to me is like the worst sports day because it's like coming off of sugar high, you're just like, yeah, you're so excited about this week. It's like, what do you mean, I don't have four basketball games.
Speaker 2: To watch it right?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: And that's part of what you did yesterday, right and the guys all day just watching who Yeah, it's I mean, this is the greatest weekend of sports. The good thing is that you got at least a couple of games. I think you Arizona game was great, and that was he's finale. The Maryland game was a fantastic game, and finish finish. The Mississippi game not so much. Was the other one? The first game? It was the first game. What was the morning game?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 2: You you can't and then you kind of say, you know, good the ding Dong the witch is dad then and he continued to make a fool of himself. Yeah, yeah, I was going to say, I was going to ask you about that.
Speaker 4: What do you think about his comments at the end in theay, Yeah, what it's like when you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like I don't know. I mean, I don't want to sell I don't want to sell negative. That's what I do, right, I don't want to send negative. But it's like rich people. It's like rich people complaining that they don't have enough money. I mean, come on, he's he had a great run. He said that. He almost teared up and says, but at some point you gotta say, Okay, I lost and let's move on.
Speaker 4: I'll have to be classy. Yeah, and the opposite of classy.
Speaker 2: It's just very strange when he's when I heard that from him, and then I've seen his his brother, you know, do the antics fantastic coaches. I'll defend has to coaches, and I'm sure Bobby would be a better coach. You've got a better talent. But but there's a point where you know, Okay, I lost, congratulations and you don't you learned that from somewhere?
Speaker 3: Well, have have you ever heard of?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 2: And that's and that's where I have not I have not read any books about it. But I'm sure that.
Speaker 4: His dad is a legendary basketball code. I know that part of and he's a legendary horses behind.
Speaker 2: Okay, So that's where they get it. I mean, you lose, you win, You win with humility. You lose with humility. You can be a little cocky. He's the best coach in college. As he said a few months ago, I'm the best in this business. Don't mess with me. Okay, but now guess what he's out. So there's that. So I saw I saw the most of those games. I didn't see Mississippi State game, but I do know, I do know that Beard Beard Mississippi is a fantastic coach. Yeah, so here we are. Now let's go to Arizona where where all us you three? Because I have I know what the other youth, I know one of them. Five minutes in. Holy crap, was I getting texts people over Tommy, Joe. These guys got ready, Tommy Lloyd fire Tommy, you know what the hell doing here? One team showed up or the other one didn't care to win? Who were you on that spectrums? Their well?
Speaker 4: Oh, I said, I sent you know that. I said, hey, total, we're not an Acron anymore. Yeah, they weren't playing and they weren't playing Akron. Okay, look, Oregon came out on fire. I mean not just aggressive, not just hustling. They hit everything, I mean everything. That dude hit that one off balance three with the clock running down. So the little guard, yeah, I love that little guard was awesome and.
Speaker 2: He has he has a gait like he's broke.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yes, he played, he played really he nearly killed us the U. But yeah, it was it was one of those things where they came out on fire, ready to go, fired up, and we came out and frumbled the ball around. We had some issues, but I mean, look, you knew eventually we were going to get the get the wheels going in the right direction. Now, did you think that we were going to have as furious as a comeback to where it was like, you know, next thing, you know, you went out and got a bowl of ice cream and you came back in and the score was tied.
Speaker 2: No, right, that But that's what they're capable of, Yes, but against the better team your history. Yeah, oh yeah, Well they can't go down against other teams. But they had a couple of nine oh runs that got them back in there. And they're you know, one, they're known for that, they've they've done that in the past. Second, hit some shots.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 4: The one thing I'm going to say, and I was looking forward to saying this whole time, is like going, I've been a Caleb basher this whole time, this whole season because of the hustle and the misshots and da da da da da. Oh my goodness, what a difference he's doing in the tournament. You can't ask for a better game than what he had. He fumbled the ball around a couple of times, turnovers, But I mean, heck, they're doing it because they're aggressive.
Speaker 2: Yeah wow. Well, the good thing for Caleb is that he's getting help from other people.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. Alwaki was tremendous. I thought the guy who's improved the most or done the best since the last maybe month is kJ Lewis. You know, outside of a dunk that didn't go and a couple of things, but but he's been fantastic from the field.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Yeah, it's been really good. The uh Brian's been good. He's been shots added those things. He can't understate the impact that had del orso had I mean after not after not having an impact or a negative impact. I mean, there was a against Acrine. It was one of those things like, oh my god, get this guy off the court, we need to turn a kid.
Speaker 2: He's killing us. He had been horrible against Houston. He looked like lost right then Acrin was what it was. Well, you know, every dog has his day and we'll see what happens next to the kids. Guys, what did you think five minutes in?
Speaker 7: Well, to be honest, just like from what we talked about last week, I thought, I thought, you know, Shelstead, I hit him from three.
Speaker 2: It was just gonna be the end of us.
Speaker 7: And kind of to your point, like kJ Lewis, they put they kind of put him on Shelstead and kind of shut him down, or at least I want to say, shut him down, but he cooled them off.
Speaker 2: That loaded down.
Speaker 7: Yeah, he sload him down for sure. But yeah, you know they rallied and they got locked in.
Speaker 2: And then they won a game.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, I definitely wasn't surprised by the way organ came out. Uh, that's just who they are against Arizona specifically, they come out and hit shots. They don't hit similar to the way Arizona State plays when they play Arizona. It was it was the fact that that start happened so early. It was about three minutes into the game and fifteen point lead is is not you should not be scared by it, but you had thirty seven minutes of basketball left to play.
Speaker 2: Well, you saw the interview with Sean right with Kats and any Kats's interviews are kind of like two two hokey for me, just you know, hey, Mike, where you want.
Speaker 3: To go to dinner? Very very positive?
Speaker 2: Yeah, where are you going to go to dinner? No One. Then with this one he did he wasn't. He was like, you're down in nineteen fourteen, what do you do? And he like, come on, we got plenty of time. He looks at the clock. We got thirty four minutes will be okay. And then at the end, did you see the interview At the end, he says, stop asking me those dumb questions about you know, and then just left, which I thought was very clever. But but against Arizona, if you watched Arizona for all your life and you have one and you Mike Array and not so much, they have that in them, and this year specifically, I think they're one of the better teams that have. As Evan Maya Cowa says, the kill shots, right, it's a ten oh run. Many times you said nine oh run. Yeah, did they go nine o run? So maybe that's a that's a one kill shot.
Speaker 4: Eighteen and so well eighteen interrupt you, but no one really listens.
Speaker 2: It's like he had the uh.
Speaker 4: I wanted to say something intelligent, the uh uh. The question is this is it like, Okay, they ran out, we came there, okay, the Oregon ran out. Okay, we came racing back all the way up. We get up by ten or twelve, and then we're like, okay, can we go home and watch them movie?
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 2: In fact, I was watching the game with somebody that was eight minutes left. I said, watch watch this. I was gonna do what it does all the time. They're gonna give up the lead or get or give up a run here, and it's gonna get closer and you're gonna have to sweat it out. And he says, no, that's no, exactly, just what I've seen thirty games. This movie. It's like, come on, what's the what scary movie? What you seen it five times? There's something.
Speaker 4: Don't go into the room. I know, I know the ending of this movie. Yeah, exactly. It was the same thing. It's like going, okay, you know we're gonna do now, We're gonna start launching up threes.
Speaker 2: Okay, turnovers, that's gonna do. Turn have had those couple of bad uh bad mishandles yep, the one Caleb not Caleb kJ missed the dunk, A missed the dunk and the technical and then they were then they're on, uh yeah, yeah, that's what we did, and and we we let him back in and then we hit free throws at the game, right. I mean, that's it.
Speaker 3: I'll tell you what.
Speaker 4: That is a really big difference from past teams that I've seen, where it's like we're hitting free.
Speaker 2: Throw who's got the guy who needed it? The three throws and you're thinking, when he's the lie on what are you thinking, Oh, he better hit those. Yeah, he's gonna get continue to get roasted exact. But you know, he had a pretty good game. He hit that little back underneath the basket one that was wonderful, then the three, then the three that you.
Speaker 4: Know, he pumped up and hit a couple of heavy a couple of clutch threes. I mean, he hit a hit a great game.
Speaker 2: I mean, and you get a good game, expert. I wanted to change and then you saw the thread. Do the thread with Jay because Caleb's j X factor, it could be everybody's X factor. But he had a fantastic game.
Speaker 4: It is well, twenty nine points, I mean, the second highest same most scored in the tournament.
Speaker 2: Here's your point, here's my point. They needed every single one. Ye I tell you what.
Speaker 4: When he came down and just pulled up and hit that three at the top, at the top of the key, it's like going, wow, was that It put us up five? And it's like going, you can't. I mean, that was an unbelievable thing. Now normally, normally, well normally previously, Uh, he misses that shot, they come down, they score, and I'll.
Speaker 2: Give you an opportunity like that. What do you think when when Henry took that three at the top and it was like what are.
Speaker 3: You doing right exactly?
Speaker 2: But when he hits it, you're thinking, oh, he can shoot those this time. It was like the U c l A game. Yep, you got time. Just kind of go with the flow. And he pulls it up and he misses big on it. He's like, watch, yeah, watch this, I'm gonna hit that. That's what we do.
Speaker 4: We get there, we want we want to hit the hero shot on what we do, and Henry wasn't the guy to take the hero.
Speaker 2: And no one talked you know what I talked about. It's like, go ahead to ask ask the question about the walka question about what why wasn't he in there? Oh yeah, yeah, yeah?
Speaker 3: Why what? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Why wasn't a walking that?
Speaker 3: That?
Speaker 4: That to me is the is the is the question you have to ask Tommy Lloyd, why didn't you put.
Speaker 2: A walk in there? Unless it was asked off the off the podium, or you know, in a corner somewhere by somebody, no one asked the question we're gonna have Brian Peterson at the four seventeen. Brian was up there. We'll see if that was ever asked, but I haven't seen any responses. The thing about you don't why and you asked, well, Patina was asked why Well, because he lost? Yea, because he lost. It's less of an impact if you if you win. But I think it's a fair legit question of what was your thinking behind not playing the Walker during this time?
Speaker 4: Yeah, so so we're up by seven. That that guy on what's the guy for Oregon, the big guy, big guy Biddle, Biddle is Biddle is tearing up Henry. Yeah, okay, and it's like we're up by we just get up by seven. We just hit a big bucket. Okay, two something two four something like that left into the game. It's like, okay, let's put in a way, let's shut it down, let's go home, grab the popcorn, hit the exits, and we're like, no, Walk is still on the bench. I'm like, what do we saved him for?
Speaker 3: Over time?
Speaker 2: They kept flashing his foot, they kept flashing him right. It was know, what do you think? Well?
Speaker 8: Something I realized after the game was when he got that fourth foul. He was hunched over. He took him a while to get back to the bench, So I'm.
Speaker 2: That fantom fourth. Yeah, he didn't. That's another one of those fouls. Yeah, he was just straight up and you know, I'm curious to know if there's anything behind that. If he was injured at off he wasn't feeling well enough to get back to the game. Obviously, he went back into the game because they needed him to and took his shot to the gut.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I'm not sure what happened there, but it could have been maybe he needed that time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, maybe it's it's a strange one, but it deserves a question. You know. Maybe we have him on the zoom call tomorrow.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he was well, he was so he was out at least six minutes of six seven minutes of clocke. Well, he had to have been at least thirty forty minutes, which is about six rebounds and six points. Yeah, because he had a double double in the first half.
Speaker 2: Oh god, he was tearing it up.
Speaker 9: Dude.
Speaker 2: Let me They won by what three, three, five, five? With five I think the thread was five. I think they won by three eighty seven eighty four. Maybe or maybe four. So let me say this, there was one and I'm not discreding that because they played out of their mind and had to. Caleb played fantastically well. They went by fourth. Uh, they played a Walker played doublessly when he was in there. Henry was good, JJ was fantastic. I thought Jayden played very well. Just what, that's five guys who played very well because Townsend didn't and also played well. So my point is these five six dudes had to play very well to get by Oregon. Just what You're gonna have to have five or six dudes who have to play very well to get by Duke if not played better.
Speaker 3: Play the game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, put the game of the season in order to get by Duke. Ye this Remember two Duke came here and one in an easy relative.
Speaker 4: Yeah, when we were not playing very well. It's the tenth time Caleb blows played dude.
Speaker 2: And let's go real quick, take a break and get ahold of Corey Williams obviously a former UA basketball player and an analyst for ESPN.
Speaker 10: Are you ready ready to discover your soul, your wild side, your passion, your joy and excitement from the latest slots and table games to award winning dining, to world class entertainment, to a luxurious resort. Discover all this and more. Discover with Soul Casino del Soul, the soul of Tucson. Are you ready? Enterprise of Fasco YUCKI Tribe.
Speaker 2: Steve Rivera here to talk about Doroto Rocky Materials. I needed a lot of gravel for my driveway, so I called Eric at Dororato Rock. He found out the amount and color I needed, and boom was taken care of and at a great price. How do I know radio commercials work? I heard one of his on the radio. Dorato Rock and Materials provides a wide range of landscaping materials, including decorative rock, boulders, gravel, soil, and sand for residential and commercial use in the Tucson area. They are locally owned and have been around for more than fifteen years. Give them a call at five two zero four zero zero four two three three.
Speaker 3: Where do you buy exercise equipment?
Speaker 11: Arizona Health Arizona Health Arizona Health.
Speaker 12: Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals, your health and fitness to serve the best you deserve.
Speaker 11: Arizona Health from leading Edge and Exercise Equipment on twenty second, just west of Wilmot.
Speaker 13: Let's start twenty twenty five off with a bang by honoring those who did a bang up job for you in twenty twenty four. Recognize your employees, salespeople, managers and age with the Creative Award from Creative Awards. It's time to restock your promotional products and convention giveaway items, and Creative Awards has over five hundred thousand products.
Speaker 2: To choose from. Don't forget your corporate apparel.
Speaker 13: For a great sharp look in twenty twenty five, visit the Creative Awards Idea Center at two twenty eight West Drackman. Visit them online at Creative Awards az dot com.
Speaker 14: At Nova home Loans, we believe everyone deserves the opportunity to enjoy the independence that comes with home ownership. Paul Volpi is ready to help you find an option that best fits your needs, whether you're a first time or veteran home buyer, or want to get cash out with the refinance. Nova has a variety of home loan programs to meet your unique situation. Visit Voltpe team dot com. That's Volpe team dot com or call five two oh six eight five six two six today in MLS three oh eight seven Arizon a b k Ninez two nine point two Equal housing Opportunity, how to commitment to Lindrixson credit rates and available loan programs or subject to change with don't notice?
Speaker 2: Did you know?
Speaker 15: Collecting sports cards is one of the fastest growing hobbies around. Whether you're looking to start or expand your collection, oh Time Cards is your ultimate destination.
Speaker 2: As one of the.
Speaker 15: Leading card shops in the country, we've been serving our community for over twenty five years with the best in sports cards and trading card games.
Speaker 2: From rare fines to the latest releases. Showtime Cards has it all.
Speaker 15: Check them out at Showtimecards dot Com or visit them on East Speedway and discover why collectors everywhere trush Showtime Cards for their passion.
Speaker 13: Richard Bacall Law Office, defending Arizonans for over thirty years and a Wildcat fan for over sixty. If you need an experienced criminal defense attorney, call Richard Bacall five two oh seven to four to Roh twelve thirteen, broud sponsor of I on the Ball.
Speaker 9: Go cats, got bugs, termites, me's, or rodents, Arizona Pest Control will hunt them down.
Speaker 3: Arizona Pest Control is your.
Speaker 9: Complete desert Pest management specialists can't run or hide from Arizona Pest Control. They use only the latest and most technologically advanced methods of pest elimination available, which minimizes the effects on the environment. Let Arizona Pest Control get rid of your bad bugs, lightspeeds, or rodents. Serving Tucson and Southern Arizona since nineteen forty seven. Go to azpast dot com to schedule your free evaluation today.
Speaker 3: WI mining so important.
Speaker 16: It's the foundation of everything that defines the society.
Speaker 3: Everything you see is a product.
Speaker 16: Of mine, no matter when, no matter how, no matter why. Every society on this planet has developed, grown and modernized based solely on the minerals in the process. That's why mining is so important.
Speaker 2: Go to BIBM dot com.
Speaker 17: The Window Depot wants to help bring your dream kitchen to life. As a family owned and operated business, we pride ourselves on offering the best prices, the biggest inventory, and exceptional customer service you won't.
Speaker 2: Find at the big box stores.
Speaker 17: From premium cabinets to stunning courts and granite countertops, faucets, hardware, and sinks, our designers are here to guide homeowners every step of the way, all in under one roof. Find a location near you are. Shop online at the window deepot dot Com. The window Depot more than a Windows store.
Speaker 1: Steve Rivera, He's got his eye on the ball on Tucson sports station Fox Sports sporteen fIF day.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to I on the about here at Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera. In with me today is Mike Quinn. Now on the phone, we have Corey Williams former. You have a basketball star about twelve thirty years ago, or really thirty years ago? What's up with that? Cory?
Speaker 3: Hey, time flies, baby, It literally is thirty years ago. Crazy.
Speaker 2: I know it seems so. It seems so long ago, but not really.
Speaker 1: Hey.
Speaker 2: When I say the word the name duke, what comes to your mind? For me?
Speaker 3: Personally? There's two dukes.
Speaker 18: There's the duke tied to Koshazhevsky and everything that he was able to create there in the nineties and you know, the early late eighties, early nineties and and until he stepped away, and then there's the brand that's there since his departure. Very similar to Arizona. But when I hear Duke, you know, they get a lot of attention in the media. They have a tremendous following, they've got tradition, they've got a ton of guys in the.
Speaker 3: NBA just you know, a solid program.
Speaker 18: And you can't say Duke without really feeling like you're talking about a formidable program. Duke basketball, it had its low point and dipped a little bit, but it's it's certainly.
Speaker 3: On the rise again.
Speaker 18: And it's just an old school, literally blue blood program playing and.
Speaker 2: Simple let me okay, let's go, We'll go to the Duke game in a little bit. Let's talk about over the weekends games. You're a you're an unbiased analyst, colored guy for ESPN and all the other ESPN, all the other ESPN sources. When you're watching these guys wherever you watch it yesterday, are you gonna go? And are you going crazy? Or how you watching the game?
Speaker 18: It's weird because ever since I got into being an analyst, your brain gets cut in half.
Speaker 3: You've got the side of.
Speaker 18: Your brain where you're a fan and you're just rooting for everything, and then you've got the analyst side of your brain that tells you why things are happening, what's going on. You're evaluating the coaches, their strategies, player performances, trends, coaching decisions. It even gets so bad that you know you couldn't watch a game with me because nine times out of ten I'd be commenting on what the commentators are saying on the broadcast.
Speaker 3: So you're like all over the place.
Speaker 18: Part fan, part analyst, part criticizing.
Speaker 3: It's just a mess.
Speaker 18: That's why I sit at home by myself so I don't drive other people crazy.
Speaker 2: Yeah no, that's good. You're like Jake Fisher. So let me ask you, in your analyst brain side, why do you think Tommy didn't play a walk up for a lot of moments in the end to the end.
Speaker 3: Well, it's and I had so many people text me about this last night. So here's the deal.
Speaker 18: When Toby Owaka is on the court, the way you defend him is completely different than the way you defend basar If Toby Owaka is setting that ball screen for Caleb Love. You trap it because he's not a threat on the role. He's not a threat at the high post. Caleb Love doesn't get those ten straight points if those screens are being set by Tobyo.
Speaker 3: Waka, because you trap it.
Speaker 18: So as much as people think it was a mistake or they don't understand the very layered strategies of these coaches, coaches know.
Speaker 3: Hey, we've got four out one end with a.
Speaker 18: Seven vooter who can shoot threes, I'd rather go this way, And and Vaison gave up someone on ones defensively down the stretch. But I don't think Biddle was dominant. I think he scored some big buckets in the second half, but he only had five points at halftime.
Speaker 3: So it's kind of pick your poison.
Speaker 18: Do I put in a five man who's going to get no respect on the ball screen, and ultimately it's going to take away the effectiveness of our best scorer because.
Speaker 3: You want your four or five setting that.
Speaker 18: Screen because if it's a two or three or one, they're just gonna switch it. So you need to set that screen with a big and the only big they can't help off of is Basar. If you go back and look at Caleb loves threes the way they occurred. You gotta respect Basar. If you don't respect them. On the wall, he's gonna Tamahawk dunket right down the lane. He can pick and pop, which Toby can't do. So it was purely a strategy call. And then there's also you know, white coaches get the big bucks. It's their job to feel the rhythm of the game and if this team has it rolling, despite who my starters are.
Speaker 3: I've been on both sides of that.
Speaker 18: I've been a bench player who's closed out games, and I've been a starter who sat during the closed out games because the crew that was out there was getting it done.
Speaker 3: So it's a lot of things that factor into it.
Speaker 18: I immediately knew why he wasn't coming back with Toby because he had Dungeon's due diligence, he had his double double, he was all over the glass. He gave you everything he had. Now it's time for us to apply offensive pressure.
Speaker 3: And not make it easy on Oregon.
Speaker 18: When Arizona loses to Texas Tech, when they lose to Houston, when they lose to those teams in the big twelve traps on all ball screens and dribble handoffs. That's what the elite teams do, that's what Houston will do. But if you got the opportunity to three up your scorers, I think you have to take it.
Speaker 2: I say two percent of the people would have known.
Speaker 3: What you just said.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was gonna say, what a great insight that was that. No, no, no, no, no, well we certainly didn't the I thought that. I thought there was. I mean, certainly you can sit there and go, Okay, he's got the feel for the game. Okay, you know four files we went to talk about to talk about the traps some time, because you're absolutely right, the uh and and and then the uh. The announcers were talking about that, about how the how. The fact is that they kept running that play with Caleb over the top and he was either dumping an off or he was taking the shot, and either way we were scoring. But then we got up by seven with two minutes left, and that was kind of at that point I thought I would have gone with the defense.
Speaker 2: But like you said, you know, that's why he gets paid the big box.
Speaker 18: Yeah, and I mean, no matter what happens, at the end of the day, it all gets laid at Tommy Lloyd's feet. If they come back from Seattle with a loss, there's pitchforks and yeah, you know, everybody's trying to run him out of town. And you could see the relief on his face and the post game pressor as opposed to any Hurley who gets bounced and he's you know, throwing a temper tantrum in the hallway. These coaches make a very good wage. They go out and they fundraise and they drum up huge amounts of nil. And if you underperform in March, there's a whole new level of pressure that comes with early exits that wasn't there before, right.
Speaker 2: But now you're at Yeah, let me ask you this because now you're kind of in the media and you're you're doing that side of it, and I've been doing it for a long time, covered you for a long time. Uh So this is what I've noticed recently, and maybe I should have noticed because Luke did this every now and again. So you know, Bruce or me or whomever Corey is in the in the in the press room and you asked these questions. Maybe it's like the Bruce Perrol last week. Are you freaked out about going into the game, into the tournament? Uh, you know, losing three out of four? Blah blah blah. And he kind of went went off on the reporter. Tommy's done that a time or two. Other coaches have do it, and I'm not saying one. It's the reporter job to ask questions, even though some of them are stupid or kind of asked wrong.
Speaker 5: And and and you guys make five six seven million dollars. Why should that offend you? Am I wrong think? I don't think it. No, You're not wrong at all. I think guys like you and me we talked for a living.
Speaker 18: I remember when the when the scandal broke with ESPN and Sean Miller, and I was working for ESPN at the time, and they were like, Corey, we got to get a comment from you to start the game.
Speaker 19: Steve.
Speaker 18: I was on the Oregon State you see, LA game had nothing to do with Arizona, but my boss is one the comment from me. And I was doing the game with Steve Quiz and he was freaking out because he's an Arizona guy too, and he said, Corey, what are you gonna say, I said, Steve, I talked for a living.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna say a bunch of nothing. I'm very skilled at that. I know how to do that.
Speaker 18: These coaches don't know how to give sound bites. They're coaches. They're not great at public speaking. They're not professional orators. They're not you know, going on circuits giving lectures. These guys are coaches, and when they're in that pressor, I'd say fifty percent of them are extremely uncomfortable because they don't really know how or have the desire to be good at public speaking.
Speaker 3: So when you drill them.
Speaker 18: Down on a question their flight or fight, their fight or flight response kicks in and they give these nasty answers because what they don't want to do is give you a SoundBite that's going to get played over and over and over.
Speaker 3: Take Patino not playing his smer player.
Speaker 18: He literally said, I'm not going to bad mouth my player because whatever I say will live forever.
Speaker 3: You guys know this. It is three for seventeen. It's not his night.
Speaker 18: No one's been around this kid more than me all season, and I think he's going to shoot us out of this game. I have an obligation to the rest of the guys to give us the best chance to win.
Speaker 3: And it's not his night.
Speaker 18: It's no big deal. He's going to sit while we try to win. We won games without him being our best player.
Speaker 3: Today's going to be one of those days.
Speaker 18: Well, but you guys want to get you want to get sound out of me bashing the kid.
Speaker 3: And you know, I'm not going to give you that sound bite.
Speaker 2: Corey. That's exactly what he should have said. It would have solved That's exactly well. That's interesting when he said there and he told me, he's like, you know why he didn't why we didn't play it? But you know the answer me, I can't quote me. Yeah right, but what you just said is perfectly Yeah, go ahead, yeah.
Speaker 18: Like bro, exactly like I. You guys want me to give you a SoundBite that will live forever. And at the same time, these coaches are there on into transfer portal, the recruiting high school kids. What kid wants to come play for a coach, you just do his guy under the bus. So these coaches are walking this tight rope, this fine line of not providing lethal sound bites that are gonna go viral. They also have to give you some type of reality and truth, otherwise they're not.
Speaker 3: Going to be taken seriously.
Speaker 18: I don't think I've heard one question asked by a member of the media that was outrageous this year. I don't think it hasn't happened. What's happened is this hyper sensitivity from the coaches, because it is so sink or swim right now if you say that, the only one that this doesn't apply to is Mike Cronin.
Speaker 3: And you see they say whatever the hell he wants, and you just when.
Speaker 18: You've got them, when you've been in the game as long as he has, make could take it or leave it. And I wish we had more coaches like him, but he's one of the guys that'll shoot it straight and doesn't care.
Speaker 2: Just dropped after you're exactly right, Hey, exactly right. So let's let's move forward to let's move forward to this game or do I don't think you covered the first game right, but you saw it obviously, and I've said this before you were there. So let me ask you. I can't remember in your four years how many times, if at all, you lost twice to a team. And I'm saying and I'm saying this with confidence and not that they'll do this. That Arizona beating Arizona twice in a year is very tough, if not impossible, it's it's very tough.
Speaker 3: Because if you remember the game at home, Arizona.
Speaker 18: Kind of stuttered offensively the final five minutes of the game.
Speaker 3: Cooper Flag didn't do anything great or heroic.
Speaker 18: They just kind of they stayed the course and we faltered, and I think they'd won by five. I think, but our last our last five or six minutes was offensively dead.
Speaker 3: That Duke team is nowhere near the team we saw in December.
Speaker 18: They are way better than they were when they came to McHale Center because the ancillary guys, the role players have got so much more under their belt. Now Now the ACC is weak, it is a trash conference. It's not strong. They haven't faced great competition. I was surprised Baylor didn't give him more of a game, right, But Duke hasn't been in the Big twelve like we have. We played Kansas twice, we played Houston three times, we played Texas Tech, we've played Iowa State like we've played.
Speaker 3: Final four quality teams multiple times. Duke has not. That's just a fact.
Speaker 18: So it'll be interesting if we can come out and apply that type of intensity. Now they've played some good teams, but my goodness, the ACC.
Speaker 3: Was not all that this year at all.
Speaker 18: So if Arizona can come out and punch him in the mouth early, I don't think that Duke team is built to play from behind. The question is can we put the defensive plants on him and get up double digits in the first half.
Speaker 2: No, I agree with you. I totally agree with you.
Speaker 1: One.
Speaker 2: Arizona's built differently too since December, and they're tougher than they were in December. And you know, you know these things. This US versus Duke type of thing from Arizona side is fantastic because they play and you know this, You guys are never going to back down to those types of teams in ninety six when you're going under ranked. You guys, you guys blew through the n I became top ten after nobody ranked you. You know what I'm saying, You guys play unbelievable.
Speaker 18: I think we lost to Syracuse at home my senior year, and had we gotten past Kansas in the second round game, we would have No.
Speaker 3: Sixteen.
Speaker 18: We would have faced Yeah, we would have faced Kansas in the Elite and we would wait. We would have faced Syracuse in the Elite eight. We could not wait to play them a second time because we had their number.
Speaker 3: We knew what we did wrong, we knew what we didn't do.
Speaker 18: So I think there's definitely gonna be a lot to get back in this game. There's a couple of things that can send me one. Cooper Flag is a poster boy for college basketball in America, and deservedly so I want.
Speaker 3: To be clear about that. The young man has bald this year.
Speaker 18: I was totally surprised. I did not think a six or nine kid from Maine was going to dominate the way he has unbelievable. What's got me concerned is he gets a celebrity whistle. He gets everything you touch him, it's a foul. And at the same time, I can't knock it because he's always going to the rim. He's attacking. Yeah, being aggressive. But here's the thing about Arizona Vers Duke. Whatever referee crew walks out right out there, they're.
Speaker 3: Not calling nothing.
Speaker 18: And the reason they're not calling nothing is because these are two elite programs and we don't want to be the story, especially after all this stuff that happened in the last couple of rounds with the miscalls. I really doubt Thursday Nights Crew is going to have a tight whistle. I think they're gonna let the kids play. Hey, you're Duke, You're Arizona. Don't look over here us to call every little thing. Go out there and decide the game yourselves. And that helps Arizona because we've got more weapons than Duke.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so you talk about Duke being in a in a softer ACC, which is you know, Duke is getting Duke's gonna get all the calls in the ACC. Flag is going to be matched up playing against a softer, softer ACC. They even't played really uh two teams that have given them much of a much of a problem here. But Arizona's not getting a lot of respect against Duke or you know, looking at point Dog.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean yeah, but I mean let's.
Speaker 3: Let's keep it that way. I mean, what do these people know.
Speaker 18: We're talking about people who never played basketball up here making sport, making betting lines and filling out brackets and getting on social media and talking, and they never played.
Speaker 3: Beyond LA's fitness.
Speaker 18: It doesn't matter what people think because at the end of the day, Instagram, Facebook, Vegas. They don't play Thursday Night. Duke has to play Thursday Night. And it Duke can't get open and Duke can't keep Toby off the glass. If Duke can't contest Caleb, look, then Duke will lose. So popular opinion, that's great bullets and material for Tommy in Arizona. And to be honest with you, not having any pressure being the underdog, being the team looking for revenge. It's Duke that everybody has filled in their brackets all the way to the championship.
Speaker 3: Not Arizona.
Speaker 18: Yeah, no, agree, Okay, you know, Duke gets to stay on the East coast. They always have the first two games in North Carolina, Raley or Charlotte, and then now they get to go up to Jersey and stay on the East coast and Arizona has to go all the way over there. That's fine, Duke is the favorite, that's fine too, But you still got to play the game.
Speaker 3: You can't just throw your shoes out there and expect to win. So we'll see. I prefer Arizona to be in the in the underdog seat.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, because they play that role very very very well. How do I know, I've been through too many games. Let me say, for clarification, Duke won by fourteen fifteen. When they're here in December, I think your offensive and an offensive point really really takes because they didn't score very much in the second in the second half of the second half. But let me ask you, you played for a long time, how much and every one touch about it all? If they stay in Anaheim, Arizona has this home court advantage, and I say that's a bunch of Bologny because they haven't taken advantage of that. So how much do you think as a player? Does that play a factor having those fans there or is it just more talk because obviously in New Jersey they're gonna Duke's gonna have a ton of fans. Arizona has had a ton of fans in Anaheim and San Francisco like that, and it hasn't really done a whole lot.
Speaker 3: Where you play doesn't matter what there is. I will say this as a.
Speaker 18: Former Wildcat there does it does? When you hear that u of a chant or you hear your fan base on a must have possession where you need to stop. That does stiff in your spine a little bit. I'm not gonna sit here and lie pretend that it doesn't have an effect.
Speaker 3: When you can hear your.
Speaker 18: Crowd and key moments, it gives you a little bit of extra focus. It gives you a little bit of motivation. So the crowd can factor in. Now where you play, what time of day you play, Nah, that doesn't matter to these guys. These are guys are in the prime of their life. They thousands of hours of basketball ever since they were eight, nine, ten years old.
Speaker 3: You just want to get out there and play.
Speaker 18: So the atmosphere where the game is time zone. That stuff doesn't matter. But what does matter is when you take a six to old run and you hear your crowd telling you, okay, we got to d up, Okay, we got to make buckets. That kind of stuff does matter because in certain players' minds, they can flip the switch.
Speaker 3: So hearing some friendly voices.
Speaker 18: Is gonna help out a great deal, and it's a big it's a big difference because playing at Arizona, one of the things we always used to laugh about is who got the crowd to pop, Who made the shot that made michale go bomb.
Speaker 3: A matter of times, like we'd be like, oh, we were winning.
Speaker 6: But then when Jab.
Speaker 3: Put down there dunk, that's when the house came down and the game was over.
Speaker 18: Like we knew we were playing to make the crowd explode right right, Look the page we go on the road. Who's making the play to shut the crowd up? That's a different kind of basketball. Damen comes down and hits a three turfs of the crowd and does the finger over the mouth like be quiet, Like he's silencing the crowd. So Arizona on the East Coast is going to have to play to silence the crowd. Make plays to keep him quiet. Make sure Duke doesn't get on any runs. Keep the crowd out of the game. Every time you score, you're sitting those fans back down in their seat.
Speaker 3: You're zipping their mouths shut. Every time you get a three or dunk.
Speaker 18: That place is crickets as opposed to you know, Duke making plays and the place going crazy.
Speaker 3: That's what you want to avoid because that is that's a tough thing to overcome once the crowd gets locked into the game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I always love to talk to you but this last question for me Corey. So having been in the business and Jalen Rose is now in the business and always in and out of the business. Now, have you guys, maybe Reggie you ever talked to him about the Fab four when you guys beat the crap out of him here and I think Reggie put blood on him, the good old he has been talked about.
Speaker 3: I ran into Jalen Rose like six years ago at es Skin headquarters. We had to go out there for a talent meeting, and I was like, how you doing, Jalen?
Speaker 18: I mean, I was like half working. But it was weird because I was a fan of a lot of my colleagues. I went and sat in on first take with Steven A and I went to see Janelle Hill and there was so many.
Speaker 3: People that I wanted to meet in person. And I was in the cafeteria.
Speaker 18: Jayleen was getting lunch and I walked over to him and said, hey, Jahen, how you doing Cory Williams college basketball. He goes, yeah, I've seen your stuff. I says, yeah, I played in Arizona. We played you guys in ninety four. And he just looked at me and his head went down and He was like, yeah, y'all beat our ass.
Speaker 2: He said.
Speaker 18: But it was funny because they really came in and tried to Hollywood us. I remember, they disrespected they disrespected the tournament. They came to the banquet at La Paloma in sweats like it was a nice little you know, jack in entire event and these guys rolling in sweatsuits and just like they're the big guys on the block. And yeah, they'll never forget.
Speaker 3: That was the worst loss they ever took as the Fab four that year.
Speaker 18: Nobody that was the worst. That was one of the worst Michigan losses in a while. Yeah, but yeah, I did run into him and I made sure to bring that up, and he just dropped.
Speaker 3: His head and said, yeah, y'all beat our ass. And then he just finished his lunch, and I decided to leave it alone.
Speaker 2: Exactly at that point, that's all you have to do. Yeah, okay, Corey, thanks much. Then go ahead.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, No.
Speaker 18: Then I ran into Then after that, I walk out and I run into Teddy Bruce. I'm like, hey, Teddy, how you doing. Corey Williams University of Arizona. He looks at me and said ninety two to ninety six, and he looked at me again.
Speaker 3: He goes, that's the same time I was there. I said, yeah, I know, we never met. He had no idea, he had no idea who I was. But it was great. It was a great weekend all those guys. But yeah, I always got bragging rights forever for sure.
Speaker 2: Cool.
Speaker 4: Okay, Corey, thanks so much, man, Corey, great insights. Thanks you very much.
Speaker 3: Great. Nowhere, take care guys.
Speaker 2: That was fun. We can take a break here and come back on this side. If you're an Arizona men's basketball fan, you know it's been successful for nearly forty years. Now take a look back at the Loudolsen era. In my new book, Lessons from Loot, it was a labor of love through the eyes of twenty five former players, coaches, and friends to give insight to the coach and the man who led them, competed against them, and inspired them. Twenty five chapters for his twenty five years as Arizona's beloved coach. Lessons from Lut is an insight to how he built the program into a national powerhouse. Want one Email me at Steve dot Rivera ninety five at gmail dot com.
Speaker 3: Hey Wildcat Nation.
Speaker 20: Jake Fisher here, I gotta tell you about my winning team over at Arizona Health Insiders. I was able to get a custom private health insurance plan with no deductibles, no co pays, nationwide coverage, and I get to pick my own doctor for less than two hundred dollars a month. If you want to avoid getting gouged on the exchange and you want real health insurance called Arizona Health Insiders four A zero three five five one four four four four A to zero three five five one four four four.
Speaker 13: What's your goal a new career or career advancement? How about transferring to a four year college. PEMA Community College can help you make Someday today and.
Speaker 10: Reach your goals affordably on your schedule.
Speaker 13: With over one hundred programs to choose from and financial laid available, it's time to earn the degreer certificate you need to prepare for the career you want. PEMA offers free career exploration classes so you can choose the field that's right for you. Learn how at Pima dot Edu.
Speaker 2: Slash Someday, Hey Tucson, Steve rivera heir, and I've got a tip for you want to be in good hands while cruising the desert or kicking back at home, then you need to call my friends at the Edmond Markets All State Agency. These guys are the MVPs of home and auto coverage. Whether it's a fender bender or a leaky roof, they've got you covered. Don't fumble your chance to say call them today and score big on your insurance. With the Edmond Markets All State Agency, You're always in good hands. Visit them at twenty seven nineteen North Tampble or call them at two zero three two three nine three three three.
Speaker 3: Where do you buy exercise equipment? Arizona Health Arizona Health Arizona Health.
Speaker 12: Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals. Your health and fitness deserve the best you deserve.
Speaker 11: Arizona Health the leading manage an exercise equipment on twenty second, just west of Wilmot.
Speaker 21: Craving Tucson's best burger, The Fourth Avenue Legend is back. Lindy's on Fourth is celebrating twenty years, and Lindy himself is back behind the grill. We've got new mouthwatering burgers and great daily drink specials. Don't miss our upcoming twentieth anniversary Summer Bash and year end celebration. So come down to Lindy's on Fourth or order online at l fourth dot com. Lindy and Tucson's Best Burger are waiting.
Speaker 22: At Pyramid Federal Credit Union. We believe less is more. Let's peace means more money in your pocket, let's hassle means more time for what matters, and less stress means more confidence in your financial future. Pyramids Less is More philosophy is coming.
Speaker 23: To your neighborhood with a new branch opening at the two sund Spectrum Pyramid Federal Credit Union, where less is More federally insured and by NCUA, an equal opportunity lender.
Speaker 1: Breaking down all the aces and ohs.
Speaker 6: This is I on the Ball with Steve Rivera.
Speaker 3: On Box Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to my on about your own Fox Sports Fortune fifty. I'm Steve Rivera, You're Mike Quinn. Are Mike Quinn? Now we got a call. Who's just.
Speaker 24: Guys.
Speaker 6: This is our gape from gape from Kelli.
Speaker 24: How you guys are dealing day from Kelly?
Speaker 2: What's the word? Man?
Speaker 24: Nothing?
Speaker 6: Just just for are you happy that Arizona beat the Quackers? So? Can't stand those rolls from Eugene Oregon. So I'm pretty happy. It's payback from two years ago when they beat us in the Passwort Tournament.
Speaker 19: So he he ha ha.
Speaker 2: So so let me tell you don't cuss when you're talking about Duke because I know you don't like them.
Speaker 6: Uh puke?
Speaker 3: You mean puke?
Speaker 2: What do you think?
Speaker 6: Yes, they gotta play good, they gotta not I mean during the Oregon game they cut too many mental mistakes and they gotta not have like when players hit the basket that's a goaltending or something like that. Right, yeah, okay, no, none of that, and just be where you are, don't make any mental or constantly mistake.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's the game plan. We'll see what happens. Anything else real quick.
Speaker 6: How's everything going with football?
Speaker 2: Well, I haven't been out to football because I've been concentrating on this, but I'm told they're doing well. They're getting a lot of stuff done. You know what, Just he got his thumbs up, So well, we'll be out there the next next week or so. A lot of new face is out there.
Speaker 3: How do you think is this I don't know.
Speaker 6: How do you think this team is gonna do?
Speaker 2: Or it's way too early because the offense. Yeah, Keena leaving way too early. We just got to see that Brendan gets to these guys and they play hard for him. That's part of the problem.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I was kind of surprised that Keena left for Texas.
Speaker 3: What was that all about?
Speaker 2: We think that he has uh, you know, he has family out there, his grandkids and stuff like that, so it might have been more of a fan in.
Speaker 6: In Austin.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's where he's from. Okay, that's where that's where he came from. I should say.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: And also going back to football deep, what's your over during or cause to Brent Brennan being fire is in.
Speaker 2: Less than fifty or FI fifty fifty that's the best, Like, yeah, gay, we gotta know the call. We gotta go. Thank you game. You guys were down become become You gonna know the call?
Speaker 3: Hello, you got it?
Speaker 2: Thank you. Hello, You're on the air nine of the Bell who's this.
Speaker 1: You there?
Speaker 3: Hello? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Did you hear me? Yeah? Who's this Howard? Howard? Give me a quick one? I got another call.
Speaker 24: I've read here quick, very quick. It's like Baylor. They beat Baylor, aren't they?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 24: Weren't there like our sixth rated team in our conference?
Speaker 15: Uh?
Speaker 2: They were fourth or film five or six? Fourth? Okay? What's your what's your point? What's your point?
Speaker 24: Okay?
Speaker 19: Well, okay. The only thing they have to do to win this for sure.
Speaker 24: Besides us playing good, Henry's got to play better.
Speaker 3: They gotta.
Speaker 24: They got a ice Proctor. He's the key to their whole game because he's athletic, he's taller. They got to because that's who I'm worried about his proctor because because Flag is going to get his stuff anyway, coronquers the guy.
Speaker 2: To neutralize their team. Yeah, okay, Howard, Thanks, a bunch of men coming tomorrow. I think I'm ready for a call. Hello, you're on the air nine of the ball. No, no, okay, I know we're getting a call from Rick because he has a contest going on. Hello, you're on the air nine of the ball.
Speaker 19: Hey, Bud, we're doing to day fine?
Speaker 2: Thank you? Hey, you got a few minutes or for your purpose plan and give me what you got.
Speaker 19: Okay, Well, first of all, and talk to little basketball if I may. Is that good?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 2: Go ahead?
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 19: First of all, I've said that Arizona is gonna beat Duke.
Speaker 2: Okay, and I believe that. Okay.
Speaker 19: Second second, about if Arizona can you know, Charles Barkley is uh picked Arizona to win it all? But if they, by chance do, they theoretically could become the only team to beat three number ones to win the national championship.
Speaker 2: Say that again slowly, because I think you misspoke.
Speaker 19: All right? When Arizona one in ninety seven? Right, they beat they beat three number one? Yes, yes, if they were to win the national championship, theoretically they would have to beat Duke, Houston and Florida if all.
Speaker 2: Things go yeah, yeah, yes, no, I get that. But you're asking you're asking a lot, Rick. I don't even know what I'm going to have for dinner.
Speaker 4: Let's go, let's let's see if we get back to who who needs to step up to for for us to beat Duke? Who has who has the big game for us to beat Duke?
Speaker 3: I'll tell you what.
Speaker 19: I think they all have to. I think they have to very disciplined within themselves because people just and I'm glad that they're the underdogs here because people just don't appreciate how tough this team really is. And they have played discipline for the most part, they have played coach has set a game plan for them. He believes in them, and more important, they believe in themselves now. And I think there is no reason that they can't go.
Speaker 3: All the way.
Speaker 19: I honestly believe that. And uh, that's just my thoughts.
Speaker 2: Okay, Okay, I'm watch a lot rick Paulianna. That's your middle name now, Paulanna, But I'm okay, you're my buddy. Hey, before we go, we got we got a couple of minutes. I know you have something to tell us.
Speaker 3: Yeah, listen.
Speaker 19: You know we do some advertising with you for our mining industry, the bt YBM brought to you by Mining. And one of the things that we're going to do here for the next couple of weeks is I'm going to ask a question and then I'm going to say which minerals are used in this sport. And the first question is what mineral uses Aluminum scandium, carbon, fiber, and titanium.
Speaker 2: Are they all the time? They're all together, they're all using and saying okay. So if they have the answer for that, what happens?
Speaker 19: They go to our website bt YBM, go to the bottom of the page and subscribe for our emails. Now, I will tell you this, people are not going to get emails unless they actually want them. If they and they go to a general mailbox. So I don't add anybody to our email list that they want.
Speaker 2: Okay, So what do they get if they have the correct answer? What are you doing?
Speaker 19: The correct answer is fifty dollars visa card.
Speaker 2: And you'll you'll handle that right, you're handling all that?
Speaker 19: Oh yeah, we handle all that.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 19: So people can, like I say, they can go to our website BTYBM, enter the answers that they think and I'll respond to them one way or the other if they win or not run okay, So they will not be added to our list unless they actually want to, and that won't happen after until after they we communicate. They'll all fought and if they're not the right answer, I will let them know. If they are the first person to get it correct, it's fifty dollars different.
Speaker 2: So give me the give me the question one more time.
Speaker 19: The question is which minerals use aluminum, scandium, which sport? Carbon?
Speaker 2: Which sports? Which sports use the.
Speaker 19: Following minerals, carbon, fiber, and titanium is used in this sport?
Speaker 2: Ok one more time, give me the elements.
Speaker 19: Aluminum, scandium, Okay, carbon fiber.
Speaker 2: And tum Okay, since an't you hang up? Text me the website against what I can mention it again once.
Speaker 3: You get here.
Speaker 19: Well yeah, and it's on our commercial too, Okay, so appreciate it. Go cats, and I really enjoyed your interview with Corey.
Speaker 10: He's I love that kid.
Speaker 19: I've watched him for a long time. So anyway, thanks so much.
Speaker 2: Thanks. Okay, we gotta go, we gotta go. We're already help a guest. Let's take off.