Speaker 1: Welcome to the Three Martini Lunch. Grab a stool next to Greg Corumbus of Radio America and Jim Garritty of National Review.
Speaker 2: Free Martini's coming up.
Speaker 3: Very glad you're with us for the Thursday edition of The Three Martini Lunch. Today a lot to get to. We'll be talking about weed and specifically how President Trump thinks it should be classified at the federal level. He's planning as early as today to reschedule marijuana from Category one to Category three so it can do more research on it. We'll talk about whether that's a good idea. We'll also talk about the exit of Dan Bongino from the FBI as deputy director. Went on the job in March and says he'll be leaving in January. But we have some fun with the Democrats in just a moment, because they refuse to release their autopsy of the twenty twenty four election, and the latest polling on the Democrats suggests that not much has improved for them over the last twelve months. But before we get to all that, let's talk about your health. Because if the Democrats are conducting an autopsy, their health as a party is not that great. But we want to keep you healthy well into twenty twenty six and way beyond that. And so that means every once in a while, yeah, you got to go to the doctor, do the annual physical, make sure you get ahead of anything that could be a problem. But you know, you got to pick a doctor or a specialist or a dentist or whatever it happens to be, and ZocDoc is your answer for that. ZocDoc is a free app and website where you can search and compare high quality in network doctors and click to instantly book an appointment that's right.
Speaker 2: You can filter for doctors, make sure they take your insurance, see where their location is. That's how I was able to find an optometrist that's pretty close to me. See if they're a good fit for any particular medical need you might have, and check to see if they're rated highly by their patients. Now, once you find the right doctor, you can see what their actual appointment openings are, Choose a timeslot that works for you, and click to instantly book a visit. Appointments made through zokdoc usually happen fast, typically within twenty four to seventy two hours of booking, and more often than not you can find even find a same day appointment.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's very very simple. Definitely read the reviews to help you pick the right doctor. Jim found a good optometrist. I found a great e NT. Could not be simpler, and so stop putting out those doctor's appointments and go to ZocDoc dot com slash three mL to find an instantly book a top rated doctor today. That's zocdc dot com slash three mL, ZocDoc dot com slash three mL. All right, Jim, let's have some fun with the Democrats here, because one of the top stories over at Politico today is that the Democratic National Committee is refusing to release its autopsy of the party's major twenty twenty four losses. It said that yesterday, and it breaks the promise from DNC chairman Ken Martin to publicly release it. And it says the decision underscores the party's challenges and grappling with its electoral setback as it heads into what is expected to be a stronger mid term election year. And basically, the DNC doesn't want to publicly look back and start another intra party fight, especially since it did really well in Virginia and New Jersey and they want to keep that momentum going. So why look at why you lost a presidential race including all seven swing states and lost control of the center. Why would you want to make that public. That doesn't make any sense. Well, Jim, we might have some answers on why they don't want you to see those results. It's because the American people really hate the Democratic Party.
Speaker 1: How are voters feeling about Democrats right now? Yeah, I mean, Democrats in the minds of the American public are lower than the dead sea. What are we talking about here, Well, let's take a look the net approval rating for Democrats in Congress, U said of Kate Baldwin, the lowest ever. Look at this. Overall, they are fifty five points underwater. They're approval rating is south of twenty percent. It's even worse when you look at independence. Look at this negative sixty one points. That means that they're approval is sixty one points lower then their disapproval rating. Quinipiac has been polling this question for the better part of the twenty first century. They have never found Democrats, at least those in Congress, in worse shape than they are right now.
Speaker 3: Well, that should be pretty good news for Republicans, Gym. That's obviously Harry Enton over there at CNN. What are you talking about? And so, I mean, you could not have worse numbers for the Democrats. If you're still polling less than twenty percent approval, that's really really bad, which is really really good news for Republicans. However, we did see the recent elections, and so Republicans need to stay laser focused if they want to hold on to the Senate and maybe even the House in twenty twenty six. But the opportunity is definitely there.
Speaker 2: So Greg, first of all, I really like Harry Enton over at CNN because a lot of guys would say, wow, their numbers are really low. Harry Enter says lower than the dead sea, right, which is actually below sea level, you know, like this, that's almost a Dennis Millery style, you know, obscure reference that you might get there. But so, you know, the problem is is that we've seen in the past if you're the outsider party, you can have a very low approval rating and if people are upset with the status quot they still vote for you as a challenger against the incumbent. So Republicans can't get too confident with this, but I do think the recent decision by DNC chair Ken Martin to not release the autopsy that they've been working on for a while. It's now more than a year since the election. I found that decision to not release it really surprising and dumb, and it does kind of make people think that there must be something really juicy in there. Yeah, we know lots of obvious reasons. The flaws of Harris as a candidate, Tim Walls didn't help. They spent a ton and apparently that money everybody was overcharging them. That money did not translate into votes. Greg, I have good news. I like to think of myself as still a pretty good reporter, and I've gotten my hands on the hidden DNC autopsy. I had to break into a warehouse. It was right next to the ark of the Covenant. I'm going to get that next time, but for this while. If there's a cigarette smoking guy, a whole bunch of shadowy figures who tried to stop, but I got it. Greg and I have found what is in this autopsy, and it is shocking. It will shock the American people. This is why I'm not surprised they did not release it. There's a long list of key figures who played a role in why Donald Trump won the presidential election, why Republicans had control of the Senate and House as well, even though the House elections are pretty close. First major reason aliens, both grays and the lizard people. So both kinds working together. When you're Trump and you pick up the endorsement of not one, but two alien races, that's a huge deal. That's really you know, lizard people. As I mentioned, Bigfoot really big up in the Pacific Northwest. He didn't carry those states, but he did do well Arizona, Nevada. That was a huge deal there. The conspiracy went international, locknest monster, but also exists, you know. But you think about the key interest groups, the key swing groups that can sway an election, the Illuminati, the builder Burgers, the Trilateral Commission, and perhaps the most importantly, the stonecutters out in Springfield. All four of those groups sided with Trump and that was why they did it. And so look, not only does this really put the Harris campaign's failure in a new light, our entire concept of existence of the space time continuum is altered by what's in this. So it's not surprising the DNC would keep this secret because look, there's no way the average American could look at the election and say, oh, that's why they lost.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I liked I like that analysis. I'd go with invasion, inflation and taxpayer funded sex change operations for president.
Speaker 2: On fire from the Middle East Europe.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a real mystery. So are they hiding it really because they don't want to talk about it anymore? Are they hiding it because they don't want to actually change for the reasons that they lost some of these.
Speaker 2: I doubt that's you know, like, look, we just did really well on twenty twenty five, and you know they did. We should also point out Virginia, New Jersey and the New York City of mayor's rates are not the hardest elections Democrats are going to face, you know, in this era. But the other factor I think it worked there is like, look who overcharged the Harris campaign? What happened to all these liberal groups, Like we've been complaining about grifter groups on the right that you know, collect donations and say and they run want to add like a day before the election. It doesn't really do it, you know, Like I suspect some of these liberal groups are starting to get into this, starting to get into some very high overhead people are starting to make a lot of money for advertising campaigns and get out the vote operations that really don't make that much of a difference. I think it probably would also involve things like, you know, we took some stances that were in fact not very popular. I think would probably say, you know, the Harris, she's for they them, he's for for you. His ad was very effective. I think probably you know what, we had a really bad record on illegal immigration, and Americans are really worried about like these maybe things that Democrats don't want to hear. And not just the Biden camp, not just you know, the Harris campaign staffers, but they're probably is stuff like they're probably whole much of not just Democratic consultants who worked on that campaign and showed absolutely no value whatsoever and gave a lot of bad advice. There are probably a lot of incumbents in Congress, the ones who have this really lousy approval rating that Harry Entin points to. They're like, you know, you guys didn't help Chuck Schumer, Akeem Jeffries, you guys didn't you know, help us at all? When we need it. You're not strong leaders, you're not people. You don't inspire the public. So I think there's probably a lot of hard crews in there that, yes, things are doing well, we had a nice off year election. Let's not focus on the past, let's focus on the future. But also, I think twenty twenty four was embarrassing to almost everyone who was professionally associated with the Democratic Party, and they would very much the last thing they want is a really detailed chapter and verse review. I think of all things where the money went.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, I'll were a billion dollars and not much to show for it in any competitive state. And so, Jim, just a couple of things here. One is that the Republicans famously had an autopsy after the twenty twelve election. One of the conclusions was we have to soften on immigration. Republicans have won two elections since that at the presidential level. Softening on immigration was not a key factor in either one of those. So listening to the autopsy, and depending who's writing the analysis of that, is not necessarily the way to go.
Speaker 2: One of the things that is, you know, one of the great ironies of history, as you point out the immigration issue, but also one part of that autopsy was, well, Republicans need to do better amongst minority groups. We need to stop getting wiped out amongst African Americans, we need to do better amongst Latinos, we need to do betters and Trump, who everybody thought was going to be most you know, repellent to these organs, did better, not phenomenally better, not you know one where these winning majority of these groups, but particularly amongst Latinos. There was a big jump now before Republicans start breaking out the party hats. A lot of this probably had to do with Biden and his performance, A lot of this probably had to do with the performance of the economy, and like other factors beyond Trump and Biden themselves, or Trump and Harris themselves. But you know, Trump managed to do something that the Romney and McCain campaigns did not manage to do, even though they were trying very much to appeal to minority groups and women other non traditionally Republican voting groups.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no question about it. So there's probably more than a few Democrats who tried to drown their frustrations after last year's elections. That was not good for your liver. Democrats and all Republicans have had those post election stages as well. But let's take care of that liver. It's doing five hundred functions or more every single day. It's filtering unwanted elements, supporting digestion, helping with energy. But we don't pay any attention to it unless something is going wrong, and at that point, something could be going seriously wrong by the time you notice it. So what if we actually supported the liver before problems started? And that's where Dose for your Liver can really help. It's a clinically backed liver health supplement. It's a liquid tastes like fresh squeezed orange juice. Daily two ounce shot, no sugar, no junk, no calories.
Speaker 2: Dose for your Liver is aiming to deliver to you real results with two double blind, placebo controlled studies showing its positive impact on liver enzyme levels. And so once you start taking dose daily, you're going to start reducing that sluggishness, so you're gonna get rid of the midday crashes, you're going to improve your metabolism, and it could even aid your daily digestion.
Speaker 3: So if you're ready to give your liver the support it deserves head to dose daily dot co slash threeml or enter three mL to get thirty five percent off the first month of your subscription. Your body does so much for you, Let's do something for it. That's d SE d ai l y dot co slash threeml for thirty five percent off your first month's subscription. All right, jem on to our What I think is a bad martini today, and I think most people on the right would agree with this. President Trump, according to CBS News and many other outlets, expected to sign an executive order today that would reschedule marijuana to a lower drug classification. This is, according to two sources familiar with the planning, in one of the most significant changes to drug policy in decades. The order is expected to reclassify marijuana from a Schedule one drug to a skeedue three drug. According to the Drug Enforcement Administration, Schedule one applies to substances with quote no currently accepted medical use and a high potential for abuse unquote. That includes things like heroin, LSD, and ecstasy in addition to marijuana. At the moment, the DEA uses Schedule three for substances quote with a moderate to low potential for physical and psychological dependence. Other Schedule three drugs include tail and all with coding testosterone, anabolic steroids, and ketamine. And so it's still illegal if it's Scheduled three. But let's be honest, the Fed stopped caring about it enforcing drug laws a long time ago, as all these states have legalized marijuana, initially in many cases under the guise of medical marijuana, but then they're like, Okay, yeah, it's for recreational, it's what we really want to do here, and so that's what they've done. Republicans, because they think they need to be cool and keep up with the Democrats and the Libertarians a little bit, have decided to go along with this, which I think is a big mistake. So in the end, Jim, how big of a difference is this, given the way the law is really enforced at the moment, I think it certainly sends the wrong message.
Speaker 2: In terms of the actual effects of changing the law, it's probably not going to make a huge difference, but it does feel like an attitudinal change, and I feel like it's interesting that it's coming from a Republican administration, a very non traditional Republican of Republican administration itself at a time when I feel like the mood on the ground is actually shifting against I think we've seen a backlash against marijuana legalization. Marijuana is in this very strange state right now where it is still up until this change goes through, largely illegal amongst under federal law, except that federal law is very rarely enforced and still largely legal in a lot of states and state laws and local laws. In fact, I borderline feel like it's encouraged. If you drive up I ninety five by the Philadelphia area. I've been making that trip to Thanksgiving and stuff like that, there are large billboards talking about all the marijuana sales places that I believe are over the river in New Jersey. So maybe it's an idea that they're marketing to Pennsylvania buyers who don't have his lenient laws. Now here's the thing. I still I remember arguing with my good friend Cam Edwards, like a decade and a half ago, and Cam thought that legalization of brow wana what was a good idea. It was different from heroin and these harder drugs. It was very common. It was silly to have, you know, the idea of like someone if the cops are feeling like coming down on you, they might arrest you, they might press charges. But for many other people who don't get caught, it was not seen as a particularly big deal. Bill Clinton, I didn't inhale, is there hypocrisy in American culture about drug use in marijuana? Indisputably having said that, we've seen the legalization of marijuana in pretty much every major American city, and Greg, I feel like we can smell the results, and it smells like a tire fire in a whole bunch of you know, there's also the argument that in a I remember back in nineteen ninety six, again dating ourselves on this podcast, Bob Dole said that tobacco was not addictive, and everyone said, oh, oh my god, how could you possibly say that? And Bob Dollwood said that he'd smoked for a while, decided he didn't like it, quit and never had an issue. All the research I did for hunting four horsemen from people's physiologies are different. Things that are very addictive to one person is going to be not addictive to the other. Right, there are a whole bunch of people who've smoked marijuana, not become addicted and it's not become a problem in their lives. There Also, we all know some white guy with dreadlocks in college. We all know some guy who got really into snoop drug and Cypress Hill and smoking weed became their life. And that is, you know, generally not a great way to go through life. So I kind of I think we have tried legalizing marijuana the states for the laboratories and democracy. Colorado led the way, and now the entire state of Colorado smells like Willie Nelson. It just is this, you know, and I like Denver. I've been out there a bunch of times, but you could just see it, and you see the number of people who are not homeless but who smell like it, and the number of people who are homeless and who smell like weed. W When actually went out to Boulder, Colorado and there's a University of Colorado's out there, deon Sanders all that stuff, there was a fascinating display between the women's students there and the men's students there. The women's students there who are going out to the ski slopes, adorable, good looking snow buddies. All of their boyfriends looked absolutely homeless, right, Keith Richards would tell these people to click clean up their act. That was kind of the seal. And so there's just kind of the sense that, Like one, I'm not convinced that having widespread access to marijuana has been good for America's young people. And yeah, I recognize that for some people it's going to be purely recreational, it's not going to be addictive, but for some people it is. And also for some small percentage of young people, there's some studies that indicating it can lead to psychosis. Now, lots of people look and sound like Shaggy from Scooby Doo and never have a psychotic breakdown, but a handful do, and generally the consequences of that are pretty bad. So one, I feel like we kind of hand waved away the negative consequences of this. And then secondly, I would like, you know, make people talk about making America great again. I would like to make America's cities smell okay again. Now New York City, I understand the marijuana smell is covering up the smell of urine. I recognize that there's a different rate for different standards for different days, but in the stale in San Francisco. Actually, marijuana smell isn't that bad because of all the human feces on the sidewalks, that's pretty bad too, you know. But adding up to this, I think we're starting to see kind of this backlash and people recognizing, oh, legalizing marijuana, and people may have pictured this idea that people would use it in their homes and you wouldn't be smelling it everywhere you went in public places and public parks and walking down the street. So I would not mind a bit more restrictiveness. I would not mind an effort to say, hey, if you're going to enjoy this, you should be enjoying this behind closed doors someplace where, you you know, not away from in the public, away from kids, away from all this stuff. So I want to see a little more tougher enforcement of restriction of where you can smoke marijuana. Is this administration change going to make a huge difference. Probably not, But like I said, it's an aditudinal signal that I think is ironically running across kind of in a backlash from a whole bunch of folks. So like, hmm, this doesn't work. And interest in a larger context of drug decriminalization. Talk to people in Portland, Oregon who have said, oh, no, this has worked out terribly and we need to reverse this when you see the sheer number of people who have become completely addicted and are basically screaming maniacs out on the streets though there.
Speaker 3: So I'm guessing this is going to happen. I don't know what kind of research is going to happen here. We obviously heard about, you know, minimizing pain for cancer patients back when people were trying to push the medical marijuana ballot initiatives.
Speaker 2: And a lot of cancer patients in downtowns to cities, aren't there. Yeah, everybody's got glaucoma apparently.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, So I do love the idea of keeping inside though, because it just stinks to go downtown. It stinks to go to pretty much any city. I say, it stinks in suburbs too, So I mean, it's just it's just rampant unfortunately, and nobody. Nobody wants to stop it anymore because it's uncool. But uh, maybe there is a turning of the tide. I hope you're right about that. Speaking of a turning of the tide, let's ditch the nineteen ninety five style business phone system and get to the current and better version. And that's QUO because every business owner knows too well that missed calls mean missing business, missing customers, and that's like watching money fly out the window because it usually ends up in your competitor's hands when you aren't around to take that potential call. And so that's why today's episode is brought to you by Quote spelled quoh, the smarter way to run your business communications.
Speaker 2: With Quote, your whole team can share one number and collaborate on calls and texts like a shared inbox, so you'll have faster responses to your customers, which will make them happier. More than ninety thousand businesses are already running on Quote, So whether you're a solo operator or you're a growing team, Quote can help your business stay connected and look professional.
Speaker 3: And you can try it for free. That's when you go to Quote dot com slash three mL. That's QUO dot com slash three mL. You can even keep your existing number quot no missed calls and no missed customers. All right, Jim, we have what I think is one of the first high profile exits announced by this Trump administration. I think we had more than a few in the first year the first term, including Ryan's previous as chief of staff, and a bunch of others as well. But Deputy FBI Director Dan Bongino has announced on X yesterday, I will be leaving my position with the FBI in January. I want to thank President Trump, ag Bondi, and Director Patel for the opportunity to serve with purpose. Most importantly, I want to thank you, my fellow Americans for the privilege to serve you. God bless America and all those who defend her. And so Bongino got confirmed to the job in March, and so this is really nine months. I guess a couple more weeks before we get into January, but that he's already leaving. And I think we started to see the fracture around the time that the Epstein files did not get released. I think to his satisfaction, there seemed to be a lot of frustration. Then they released a lot of stories about him being very frustrated about that. Other people are saying, you know, pointing to interviews he's done where this has been really disruptive for his family and he just wants to spend more time with them and focus on them. But what do you make of the timing of this and what's happened here over the last nine months that he's been on the job.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I wrote up a short corner post about this. After a rather snarky tweet about this last night, somebody reminded me that Bungino had had serious health issues in the past. Thankfully made a recovery, But people point out that that probably alters the way you look at life and what do you want to do with your life and how do you want to spend your time. You have a wife, you have a kids who are down in Florida, You're working at the FBI building all day long, you know, not able to get back home on weekends very often. Yeah, that would wear on a guy really quickly. But the angle I wanted to take on this because I started out being snarky and then I thought about it and I ended up writing a corner post that said, Hey, good for you, Dan Bongino. Bongino was best known for, I mean, worked for the Secret Service way back in the day, became really well known as a podcaster, and I don't think I'm being snide when I say that. On that podcast, Dan Bongino embraced a lot of conspiracy theories, most notably about Epstein and his death and connections to Epstein's clients and all the utterly appalling things that were going on around there, and also about the January sixth pipe bomber, and which made it a kind of ironic that a couple of weeks ago they arrested the guy and it was not a result of a vast conspiracy that went up to Kamala Harris that one of Bongino's guests had put forth, and that Bongino during that interview again no skepticism, seems to be buying into this theory the whole time. And in the end, it's a guy in northern Virginia who looks like Steve Rkle, no vast ties to Harris or any greater thing. And then on the Epstein stuff. Now, I know we're still waiting for the DOJ documents on this, but the FBI put out a statement saying we have seen no evidence of he was blackmailing anyone. We have seen no evidence that points to a good chance for an indictment at somebody else, and both in that statement and in several interviews, Bongino and cash Ptel have said, Jeffrey Epstein killed himself. Now, Greg, I don't know about you, but the everything you see behind me was actually put up by missus Garrity. But every time I need to put something up, I've said, well, I better hang this because like Jeffrey Epstein, it's not going to hang itself. But it turns out, at least according to the best analysis of the FBI and all the information that they have reviewed by two guys who had gone in extremely inclined to believe that there had been some sort of foul play involved, Epstein killed himself and it sounded like, you know, Bongino felt hurt that people did not take his word on this, and you know, he gave a couple of interviews where hecent kind of irritated that, like the conspiracy theories were continuing. Dan Bongino got into a position of responsibility deputy director of the FBI oversaw investigations, and my assuming had his chance to win in on how these investigations were progressing and followed the evidence, and there was not evidence to support the theories that he had believed in as a podcaster, and as a result, the investigations came to conclusions that were different from what he did as a podcaster. This is what you're supposed to do in a position of responsibility. Unexpectedly, Dan Bongino was the guy who look at conspiracy theories and said, you know what, the facts aren't there. It's this kid oracle, and you know, there's nothing pointing to Epstein being killed by Hillary Clinton or any of these other things like that. So Dan Bongino, my head is off to you. Good job. That's actually what you're supposed to do in This didn't last very long, but I don't think you can say it's been an uneventful year at the FBI. And so I just got to conclude Greg by observing as was said in nineteen eighty eight, we're gonna need some more FBI guys.
Speaker 3: Jim, we'll have to call time there. Tomorrow. We will hopefully have more good news. I know we've had some days where there hasn't been a lot of good news lately. Hopefully we finished week strong, fingers crossed.
Speaker 2: Looking forward to it. Greg, see you tomorrow.
Speaker 3: Jim Garritty, National Review. I'm Greg Corumbus of Radio America. Thanks so much for being with us today. Please be sure to subscribe to the podcast if you don't already, tell your friends about us as well. Thanks also for your five star ratings and your kind reviews. Please keep those coming. Get us on your home devices. All you have to say is play Three Martini Lunch podcast. Follow us both on x He's at Jim Garritty, I'm at Greg Corumbus, and follow us on Facebook and Instagram at three Martini Lunch. Not us personally, but three Martini Lounch. Have a great Thursday. Join us again Friday for the next three Martini Lunch