Speaker 1: Welcome to episode five sixty of five and Dive. It is Monday, July sixth. I'm your host, Craig Goldstein, joined as usual by Patrick Dubuk and Jeffrey Petternostro. We had a three day holiday weekend.
Speaker 2: How was yours been at watching soccer? Again? Sure, I do want to say, I know this is a baseball podcast, but there.
Speaker 1: Is Patrick's gonna log off, right.
Speaker 2: There is something beautiful about the sport outside of the other stuff was going on today where you can have a game like Cabo Verde against Argentina, which is like probably one of the five best World Cup games I've ever seen, you know, like I'd have to like wrack my brain for like euro other major games that were better. But given the stakes and the performance and the relative disparity and the quality of the goals in a lot of cases.
Speaker 1: That second Cabo Verde goal was one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read.
Speaker 2: And it was one of those games where you know, there weren't any like really close off side and we weren't seeing going to the ball censor to see if it touched someone's hair. There wasn't any you know, Dodgy pens. There's just two teams leaving all out on the field, right, Yeah, and then the next day you can have France Paraguay. It's the same sport.
Speaker 1: I thought you were going to say, because I saw you say it was maybe like top five, And you don't need to litigate that, Like I think it's fine to say you can have like eight or ten top five things. It's fine. We were just talking about a genre kind of.
Speaker 2: It's a yeah, there's a class, there's a classic. Like the quote I think it's a Tiger Woods quote when I asked you it was the best golfer of all time. He said, all you can ask for is to be in the conversation, and like, this is in the conversation, right.
Speaker 1: Well, I thought you were going to say, and then get England Mexico.
Speaker 2: Well no, no, that was also it was a different kind of great game. But like France Paraguay is just the opposite of that in all regards. Right, it's just like, yeah, we're gonna make this the most unpleasant and there's a beauty in that sort of and it's like the same round is the same stakes. It's the same gap between the teams, right and we're gonna you know, we are going to make this and they did it against Germany too to win, right, We're gonna make this as difficult as possible for you. Yeah, No, England Mexico is just pure chaos, which was also great. Ref had no control over that game from from the kickoff. Basically there were several at least one dodgy pen which one was dodgy to you the one they gave MX. That's not a foul. It's a fifty to fifty ball, like kicking underneath.
Speaker 1: I mean it doesn't kick.
Speaker 2: He didn't kick him, but he doesn't really like in that's like not that's not a foul. I mean, I understand why I was given it did make it more fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just thinking about thinking about everyone and when they I didn't I had not thought about it at the time. But then they cut over after the game to all the people in England celebrating and it was four in the morning. Yeah, having to go through that game, yeah as an England fan from two to four in the morning.
Speaker 2: Right, because they pushed it back an hour or two because of though the weather. Yeah, phenomenal, phenomenal game. Yeah, and we also got like like dan Byrne just like absolutely caked and sweat and he was on for like fifteen minutes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he was curely.
Speaker 2: Jordan Henderson breaking his arm in the celebration during Wonderwall havy to be stretchered off. Yes, he broke his arm during the celebration.
Speaker 1: What I missed that entirely?
Speaker 2: How I don't know there's video of it. I haven't looked at it, but like Harry Kane's like, yeah, I think he's okay. While he's doing like games. He couldn't talk, Oh, he couldn't talk yet. I don't know how much he had been yelling on the pitch, probably a lot.
Speaker 1: Probably a lot. I'm sure it was hard to get. I mean, the environment was I honestly wish I could have heard more of the crowd.
Speaker 2: But obviously I have a lot of expat friends. Being a Wednesday person, I knew several people that were at the game. But I was saying to them like, I don't know if England is a good team per se, Like they're not the best team in the tournament, but I don't know if they're like a good team, but like those are the kind of games you have to win. If you want to win the World Cup, basically you're going to get at least one of those where it's just an absolute dog fight. Dog fight.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I also want a lot of soccer, to the point that by the time Sunday Night Baseball rolled around, I was like, what what is it that people are talking about everything being paywalled? I did not try and watch baseball on Sunday.
Speaker 2: Everything was all on Peacock.
Speaker 1: Yeah apparently, But I was also confused because I went to go see the Sunday Night Baseball game thinking that was only on Peacock, but it was on NBC.
Speaker 2: I was like, Braves was also on NBC, So I I got to watch that, which was something I really needed in my life.
Speaker 1: Was so I was like, why are people mad? But honestly, people are mad for affair. Why was everything on Peacock? I mean why, uh not that I should value and everything, but like, what are we doing?
Speaker 2: They also did all the thrown together Peacock boots too, So the metro like Todd zal on, Tripper Jones, like Tippery Lake doesn't like Todd zeal is like they're filling play by play guy, but like Tipper Downes doesn't show up showing up. Yeah, yeah, Uh.
Speaker 1: My only contribution here is that, uh I think I mentioned we're gonna slushy machine as a family, and it arrived on Thursday and we've made six different batches of slush.
Speaker 2: You're, by the way, you are not allowed to tell my kid about this, about the existence of this, but the fact that you can get one for home use not allowed.
Speaker 1: What's interesting to me that I did not know was like all all for this one anyway, all you're doing is pouring and juice. It's just it's literally just juice. Like it's not added sugar. It's not there has to be a minimum amount of sugar, I guess for it to reach slushy status in terms of percentage, but like it's just pouring in a regular juice.
Speaker 2: I'm still you're still not allowed to tell.
Speaker 1: You no, I understand. I'm I'm revealing my ignorance.
Speaker 3: Here as the machine afterwards, right, Like it's really easy, Okay, we have one of those like thirty dollars snow cone makers that is not worth the effort the clean I could see that, and so like it's also not worth the effort to wait for them to do it so the kids, like, it's become an option for my children, not one worth pursuing.
Speaker 1: It does it does take a bit. It takes like thirty forty five minutes potentially, But but like to clean it, you just put in warm water with soap and then like you can take it apart and let it air dry or whatever. But you don't even like if you're just going to make another batch. You don't have to anyway, Patrick, how was your weekend?
Speaker 3: Not so much? No, not my kids. I don't really know how this decision was made. I was not involved in the decision. I imagine that a plurality was reached without my while I understained. But my children decided to switch bedrooms.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you mentioned this and you never answered my question, so I'm going to repeat it. You live in a blue episode?
Speaker 2: Yeah, not allowed, Like that's just as a parent you can just say no.
Speaker 1: They they did a bluey episode about this, and my reaction at the time was what are they doing? Yeah, well, I guess they shared a room to split, but the shared.
Speaker 3: Room to split. Uh. In this case, there were logistical factors involved. Basically, my son, my younger son, really struggles to sleep and it's a real drain on our lifestyle that my son is constantly waking up and I have to constantly put him back to bed, like multiple times a night, and then find him in my bed kicking me in the back every time I wake up. So we're trying anything at this point, and we're hoping that you know, changes the scenery. You know, always always improve your life. Just to change nothing about yourself except your surroundings is always ineffective.
Speaker 1: That only true for baseball players and.
Speaker 3: Growth and personal growth. So we're just gonna, I guess we're just what. Look, you guys are attacking me like I'm the one who made this choice when I know, really really clearly established I'm I'm I'm attacking being more clear about how little input I had on this process.
Speaker 1: I'm not attacking you. I'm attacking your life, Okay, your circumstances.
Speaker 3: My life if isn't vulnerable, don't bother anyway. So, yes, we did that, and the worst part, of course is the art. So we had to we had to re hang all the artcause they wanted to move all the art over and they had to move the bookcases and stuff, so they had to move into do.
Speaker 2: You actually hang your art or do you just use like the actually.
Speaker 3: I actually most of my because most of it's actually the canvases and stuff. So if this doesn't take oh it's taking moving, they're not moving back.
Speaker 1: Okay, it would have been my reaction to begin with.
Speaker 3: But yeah, yeah, no, I mean like it's yeah, no, this is this is it for a while.
Speaker 1: They're good, That's what I wanted to hear. But I had some trepidation. All Right, shall we get into the show? Yeah, all right, our first segment deadline.
Speaker 2: Dreaming speaking of changes of scenery, that would.
Speaker 1: Have been a good transition. Maybe you should host the show. Uh, who is actually going to be available in this trade market? I I'm on record as saying it's gonna be weird. It's it's gonna be a deeply weird trade market.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think we've already seen like the last few deadlines. I want to say, at least the last two, there's been a lot of like half buying, half selling stuff or like maybe that's not even the right way to put it. It's that there's not buyers and sellers, it's just moving pieces to fit your individual circumstance as an organization.
Speaker 3: Griffin Jackson, Griffin Jackson.
Speaker 1: Sure, exactly, And I think it's just gonna be a lot of that. Again, we go back to the standings and that everything's just kind of weird, but like it really makes for a complicated it does deadline.
Speaker 2: You've got Houston out here saying that they're going to be in the Terek Schogle market.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, I missed that. But like Baltimore is forty two and forty nine, twelve games back in the division and says they're buying.
Speaker 2: Well, they're three and a half out of a wildcard.
Speaker 1: Sure don't. I'm not saying they're wrong, but that's there. They're buying. The White Sox are a game up in the Central one of two teams with a positive run differential, Yeah, the other being the Tigers. But like who's again, like who is actually selling? What do they have to sell? I think you know, you look at the Mets, don't really have a ton to sell.
Speaker 2: If you want relievers, they can offer you relievers.
Speaker 1: Sure, you know Freddie Peralta we've talked about, but like they they just acquired him and he's not been himself. Mario Delgado Henzori had a great piece on Baseball Perspectives on Friday that people should check out as to why it's complicated is the.
Speaker 2: Short they also only have to beat a fourth round pick here because of where they are on qualifying offer and luxury.
Speaker 1: He's damn it, like he's part of the reason they're in the situation that they're selling is he's been bad. So it's it's like, if you want to acquire him, it's not been an ideal situation, you know what I mean, Like you you're not necessarily getting someone at the top of his game. That's not like the price you necessarily want to pay or the piece you want to pay for when you're when you're acquiring at deadline prices. You know, I I don't know you can you can do this? Something that San Diego doesn't really have pieces all their all their major pieces are on forever contracts. It's it's hard to know where to go.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it's it's a lot of relievers. I think I think we're good like and and part of this is us Craig writing about this. There are gonna be so many reliever round ups.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's also it's also I will say, it's also easy to say we plan on buying and then in I'm on saying we didn't like the prices for buying, right, but.
Speaker 3: You can always like the price on the reliever, right, and it's.
Speaker 2: It's because yeah, but the reliever market especially, I feel like last deadline was pretty hefty, relatively speaking.
Speaker 1: To me, Like, I don't know if they're going to do it, yeah, but I'm still looking at the Pittsburgh Pirates for forty six and forty five. Yeah, and have one of the worst bullpens I've ever seen, right, And I say that having seen whatever years it was, that the Phillies bullpen would just spontaneously implode like this is this should be the best news of all time to the Pirates. But I also don't know if they're going to do it, yeah, right, right, Like it should be a pretty slow I feel like maybe there'll be a lot of traits, but it's gonna be relatively slow on impacts. But like the one thing that they can address that they really need to address should be there in spades.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I feel like the Cubs are in that same spot where they could desperately use They also could use a starter, yeah, several starters, but there are none of those, but there are, and they could use some relievers because all the relievers are now starters. Right.
Speaker 2: The Giants said that. The Giants said they're not going to make Logan Web available.
Speaker 3: Right, I don't know if it's a guy who's.
Speaker 2: Worth something, Yeah, the extensive guys who aren't worth anything are definitely available.
Speaker 1: He can have them if you want.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no one's going to take these.
Speaker 2: There was kind of one of those like speculative but possibly something their stories. I think in the athletic today, the Mets might be making Francisco Alvarez available. Why because they decided Louis Torrenz as their starting catcher for something. Yeah, I don't like it either, Craig.
Speaker 1: They can't possibly mean that well.
Speaker 2: I mean, I think they're gonna if they get like a haul for Alvarez, they will consider doing it more than anything else. But I think they're going to trade.
Speaker 1: All the last time there was a mid season trade of a catcher that was a.
Speaker 3: All yeah, yeah, and your team that doesn't doesn't really have another catcher, right, Like, you can at least see it with those two the tandem catcher teams. Yeah, like, which is why Danny Jansen gets getting traded every.
Speaker 2: Single year he's a free agent. But like if Ryan Jeffers still had two years left or something, right, like like.
Speaker 1: The the thing about catcher deals, and this applies to like Hunter Goodman, who I know Mario also wrote about by the Way and his potential for being traded, like it's always underwhelming relative to the quality of player, because it's it's a major in season switch for not just the catcher but the whole pitching staff.
Speaker 2: Right, Well, Patrick Bailey seems to be working out fine, but yeah, I mean within the.
Speaker 1: It's the same guy.
Speaker 3: It's just like.
Speaker 1: And yeah, it wouldn't surprise me that Patrick Bailey can adjust to a pitching staff.
Speaker 2: And continue to hit like Patrick Bailey in a new new environment.
Speaker 1: Like you say, it's working out. He's got a sixty four ops plus.
Speaker 2: Hey, that's Patrick Bailey, Patrick Bailey.
Speaker 1: But it's also legitimately it is work. It is dramatically better than what he had done in San Francisco and also worse than he's ever done over the course of a full season before.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I mean, like, look, if you want like iffect them at They're gonna trade Parolta, They're gonna trade Raley probably trade aj Minder. I would not be surprised if they trade Luke Weaver, who I think will bring back the most of any of these guys because he is an extra year of control.
Speaker 1: You wrote about that, Yeah on Friday.
Speaker 2: You know Cincinnati, they could they trade uh Melio not Emelio Opac Meliopacan. Yeah, yeah, okay, he's he was bad before the jury. He was. But like again, like a lot of this stuff was like, you're not trading for Freddy Parolta because you think per Alta is a four r A pitcher going forward right, Like you think he's had a bad half season. All of this you're trading for. I saw Mets fans were freaking out because.
Speaker 1: Also just signed a two year deal with them.
Speaker 2: Sure, Wasscar Brasabon gave up like five runs yesterday to races R A to three and Mets fans are like, oh, they've ruined his trade value, And I'm like, no, Like his trade value has not changed at all. He's still Hostcar Brasabon, Like nobody was paying for the one point seventy r A of Wasscar Brazabon.
Speaker 1: Well, while I am uh, the last person I know would do that was that didn't didn't Sandy Older since say he.
Speaker 2: Like, no, he's sorted by Kate per nine and wasscarra I thought it was the Yeah, No, it was kro nine.
Speaker 3: Yeah. The the Reds have a lot of guys with surfaces, like Caleb Ferguson has like a one point six two e r A that you cannot believe would continue brock Burke two point ninety eight, like if you want to pay for past performance. The Rents have some.
Speaker 2: Leaders way, I mean, the Angels have already said they're not going to trade anyone that's any good, So that takes one of the bad teams.
Speaker 3: Well, they wouldn't They said they wouldn't trade one of their two starters. Who are the only people they could trade there?
Speaker 2: Uh? The Rockies. You know, maybe the Rockies trade more under de Podessa than they have under previous regimes. I don't know.
Speaker 3: They don't really have an obvious expiring contract to trade now.
Speaker 2: No, I mean they could trade Centstella, right, you're selling high on Senstel. But I just don't think you know a reliever, you know, even like a multi inning guy striking out seven per nine. I know he's a sinker Ball's just not going to bring back that much, right, like and and he's it like Jimmy Hrdan, I guess.
Speaker 3: Freeman is one of the worst players in baseball. Of course he's one of the worst players in baseball because they.
Speaker 1: Keep playing him in the right field. I mean, like, what are the Royals are are so out of it? They can trade guys, but like who are they going to trade?
Speaker 3: Yeah, and the Royal Like the Royals are weird because if they do it, If the Royals trade guys, that's a big white flag, right, Like that's that's ending the era, Whereas it feels like.
Speaker 1: A lot of what is the era?
Speaker 3: Is the era? Yes it is, but but like it was.
Speaker 1: Two seasons, right and then they're bad. But like the I think the era is over with their performance this season, you know what I mean, Like you can. I wasn't. I was supportive of them running it back last year and it didn't go well. And then they ran it back this year again and it didn't. It's it's gone worse. I don't know, what what do you do?
Speaker 2: The old pictures, their old pictures have been worse. All their young pictures are hurt, right, Like.
Speaker 1: They're not going to augment I think that I think that era is over, Like they're not going to augment it. Like they're even like Jack is here and pretty.
Speaker 2: Good, pretty good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Bobby Witt has climbed out out of the hole he dug to start the season and it's been fantastic. That's all they get. Yeah, offensive, the Carter Jensen has been pretty.
Speaker 2: Right, Mike, Michael Garcia has gone back to being like three seventy slug Michael Garcia, Right, and like everybody again, it's the same story, right, Like you look at these OVPs, right, Carter Jensen three h nine beating past Quentino three oh nine, Michael Massey two eighty four, Kyle isbel to ninety eight, Isaac Collins is leading outside of Wit, is leading the team with three thirty nine. Yeah, and he's also slugging three forty four because he is Isaac Collins.
Speaker 1: Seal Perez their designated hitter as a two. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, not playing him might be a first step towards whatever they're doing, whichever.
Speaker 1: They also can't they have nobody to backfill, right, they don't. They don't have another.
Speaker 3: No, they just they they don't have any backfields. They're terrible at that film, right. That is the thing that's that's what makes the Royals so frustrating is that they've had half a team. They've had the parts for a team.
Speaker 2: Like kag Leon was their most recent like high draft pick, and he got to the majors pretty quickly and after some initial struggles, looks like a good regular. But like maybe there's one Yeah, maybe there's more of the tech there. I think again, the approach is going to be somewhat limiting generally speaking. But you look at their other recent like first round picks. Yeah, you know, but Blake Mitchell has been okay. I mean he obviously missed all of last year with injury, is a prep catcher, et cetera, et cetera. He has had the most three true outcome season you could possibly envision. And you think, I'm just like, I'm just like I'm doing the Ron Swanson like I hear what you you think I'm saying. But he is. He is giving you all the walk, strikeouts and home runs that he has.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: He has three hundred and fifteen played appearances this year, one hundred and ninety seven have ended in a walk, strikeout or home run, Like he is just robbed here at twenty one in quad Cities, which is not ideal. You know, before that I liked uh Devin Cross out of the draft. He just hasn't really worked out, yep. I like Frank Mazacado not as the seventh overall pick in the draft.
Speaker 1: And I didn't remember not to the Royals and to.
Speaker 2: The Royals and that has gone exactly as I would have expected. And then the after as Lacey and like Nick lofton, then you get back to Okay, they had a good run, right, they had Singer, they had Wit, you know, boo Bitch. I mean they had the draft where they had a ton of fur round picks and Singer, Kovar Lynch and Boo Bitch, which sort of on aggregate have worked out fine. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think the Lace pick really hurt.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and again it was it was it was tough because one of the best college in the draft. Yeah. And they just beyond that, they don't have the depth of God like they don't like Nick often is like a relatively good outcome for their high draft picks.
Speaker 3: They can't develop a quality team around with and they can't sign a quality team around Bobby.
Speaker 1: Wait, I certainly won't.
Speaker 3: And the thing is that, like, yes, you can't have a good team if you can't do any of those things. Also, you can't just accept that those are going to be bad forever, because then why have a baseball team.
Speaker 1: Welcome to many years of the Pittsburgh Pirates. Yeah, I know again, and I'm happy for the Pirates fans that they've been better this year.
Speaker 3: But like, but the Pirates didn't pretend, and the Royals did spend some time pretending, and it'd be weird for them to just stop pretending now, like they seem to believe in themselves. It feels like selling now would be a turnaround on that, and maybe not necessarily an unjustified one, but it would surprise them.
Speaker 2: The Royals have not had a second round pick make the Major since two thousand and night.
Speaker 1: Really hard to do it. That's good, that's good, right, especially when you miss on some of your first.
Speaker 2: Rounders, right, And I'm looking at this list of names, and you know, outside of the more recent picks, and like what David Shield's doing this year, he's been fine, but like most of these guys are probably not going to make it either.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I didn't need to get too bogged down on in the Royals. But like.
Speaker 2: I said, do you know the last second round pick by the Royals to have more than two and a half wins above replacement Bob Hammeler Carlos Beltron. Oh yeah, that's nineteen ninety five for the record.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean here's the other here's the other part of this, Like the big ticket item for this deadline is Scoobale right right. The Tigers are five how Yeah, there's a lot of teams in between.
Speaker 3: I just wondered if the Bob Hamlin was a second round pick he did not make it to two points. Oh sorry, But like it's.
Speaker 1: They're five out, and I understand there's there's I don't know six seven teams in between them and that playoff spot. But none of those teams are good either.
Speaker 2: Right, Like I legitimately Tigers are better than all of them, like the.
Speaker 1: Well, okay, so Boston is a game ahead of them and has a plus five.
Speaker 2: Run differential, right, and they won eight of ten.
Speaker 1: So every every other team ahead of them, including two teams in the wildcard, have a negative run differential, and the Tigers are at plus eleven. Like in all honesty. The Tigers should not be training school unless unless they're getting blown away.
Speaker 2: I mean they can run this down to the wire to write and see where they are.
Speaker 1: They should, right, they should, and and like unless you're getting in, I don't know, and I apologize if I'm mispronounced it. Josewe to Paula. Joseie to Paula, Jose to Paula. Yeah, hoose to Paula. If if you're getting him, which, by the way, Katie Katie wou for the Athletic Report, he's untouchable.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he should be. And you're gonna be very like if I had my druthers, and I'm not going to have my druthers, I think it would be one on the mid season fifty.
Speaker 1: He if you're getting him, okay, sure, right and probably you know and maybe someone whatever.
Speaker 2: But like if you're getting Mike Saroda, and I like Mike, so he's also be very high on the middle fifty.
Speaker 1: And yeah, I don't know. This is so just our rundown says. Is this going to be a slow deadline because of the parody or an expensive one? I don't know that it'll be slow. I think there will be a lot of trades. I think they're all going to be like, what is this Brooks Raley, You're well, it's it's gonna be a lot of relievers, but it's also it's also just going to be like again trading part arts like can I patch a hole here and maybe be thinner here? But and but I don't know if a ton of it's going to be big. And like the other part of the Katie wu article, uh where they she talked about how the Dodgers Art said he's he's off limits for Apaula is that they are willing to trade from there. They have very extensive outfield the prospects depth, but but they basically want other prospects. They want infield prospects or pitching prospects or whatever. So like it's they're not talking about going and getting Trek Scooble.
Speaker 2: Be very funny to flips all your hope for like another low miners prospect and just keep the shaking to get.
Speaker 1: The Michael Bush. So like, I think we're gonna see stuff like that, like the moves that the Rays specialize in. Right like whatever that deal was where they they would Seattle and another team, I think right where they trade Diego Castillo and got back you know, like whatever that deal was a while back. Gonna see stuff like that. I think we're going to see three team deals where it's just again it's it's filling parts. It's we're gonna see the Hunter Forduccia.
Speaker 2: Adam's trade for Matt McLain for some reason.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Sure, it'll probably be the Royals, the Rays will get a player without trading anyone.
Speaker 1: Again that well, that was the Dodgers, I mean the.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm always I'm always impressed when a three team trade with somebody just getting.
Speaker 1: But I think it's going to be the Dodgers. Raise Brewers for the Mariners in there, because Jerry's always in trades like that kind.
Speaker 2: Of Mariners also need relievers, yes, I and.
Speaker 1: So I That's that's where I'm coming out on it. It's I know that's not like you know, fancy analysis or whatever, but that that really seems like where we're where we're headed. And again, this is the incentive that when you put six teams in each league and you get a weird year on performance like over here.
Speaker 2: Right, like the American League being as weird as it and the American League having like teams with aspirations like the Jays, the Orioles, the Red Sox, the Tigers.
Speaker 1: So many teams have fallen flat on their face, right, but also aren't really far enough out or are so pot committed. Yeah, you can't sell if you're Toronto this year, right.
Speaker 2: And also like if you're the I know it has not been a great year for the Jays, but you know they're only three out. You're gonnak at the team that you can better work better than these teams, like we are a few weeks away from being in this Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, and again like running for their minus forty two, they really haven't been. But you have to believe you are right. You have to believe Vlad can stop hitting only singles. Yeah, right, at some point and that changes.
Speaker 2: Because if he can't, you've got longer term problems. In twenty twenty six.
Speaker 1: Sure, but I think six you just got to.
Speaker 2: Ride it, get on, get on Ernie Clement's back, and.
Speaker 1: That takes us to our second segment. We're gonna get on Ernie clements back and go to our second segment. Hey, now you're an all star. We've got starting lineups.
Speaker 2: We don't have the full teams the full team before we do.
Speaker 1: Okay, lay it on me, I thought. I decided, I realized that could look.
Speaker 2: You're the one posted about never Wrong just early on my Gal Vargas.
Speaker 1: But I thought he was a starter.
Speaker 2: He's just on the No, this is a very good like never Wrong just early group. We got Jordan Walker, we got Miguel Vargas.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So I.
Speaker 1: Thought about going to look it up, and then I thought maybe I will just respond in real time and see if it is there anything that's gonna gonna pop.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a lot of relievers, as Patrick last, that's not surprising.
Speaker 3: Nationally has like three relievers, right, they have a lot of starters, have a lot of starters. So it's Mason Miller and rise Igasias and John Dura the only three relievers.
Speaker 2: That's all you need, Frank, all.
Speaker 3: Three excellent closers for you know, and somebody, Oh yeah.
Speaker 1: Somebody had to make.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know.
Speaker 3: Yeah. No. The American League has uh this is this is probably my only actual annoyance with the American with the All Star roster this year is that the American League has four first basemen and seven starting pitchers and there are five times as many starting pitchers as there are first basemen. Like the starting pitching has always been underrepresented in the Australia, just historically. You know, it used to be that. You know, in the old days, everybody pitched two winnings and so you just got five.
Speaker 2: Having no good team in the al As, there's been no good starting pitching in the al either.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Nathany Aldi could have fit on this roster.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna tell you this. I don't know if this would be hot take. I don't think South Stewart should be here.
Speaker 2: He's been somebody had to make I guess Burns made it from the Red So yeah.
Speaker 1: He has a one to seventeen ops plus as a first basement.
Speaker 2: Yeah, some of this might be like the players voted earlier or something when his umbers were better.
Speaker 1: Look, he was absolutely phenomenal to start this. Yeah, that version absolutely deserves to be here.
Speaker 2: I think this is the South. This is what you're gonna You're gonna get South Stewart. It's like an eight hundred ops first and like on the not like eight hundreds ops, eight hundred ops first base.
Speaker 1: Dhah and to Patrick's like, why are there for first basement?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Well because that's not starting.
Speaker 1: Now has four first basemen.
Speaker 3: Well yeah, yeah, the NLS four first baseman and the American league's four first baseman.
Speaker 2: It's just like, well, second base is terrible in both leagues. You might as well slowed up on first basement.
Speaker 1: Yeah, look auto, look Otto Lopez is Oh no, he's at short stop now anyway, I forgot, but he can play second. He's like deservingly there.
Speaker 2: Sure, I mean sure, Although, okay.
Speaker 1: Here's another one. Why is Travis Bazana here?
Speaker 3: Yeah, because that was.
Speaker 2: A question because Kate Smith obviously man like whatever, he's Kate Smith, but he's a good reliever, right, I fine, Bazana like hasn't played like he's played fine, but he also hasn't played.
Speaker 1: It's very solid.
Speaker 2: And again, second base is not very deep. I don't know why he's here instead of Ezekiel Dron Right.
Speaker 1: Well, again, if you're going to give it to someone who like is doing it purely off the strength of this season, right because Basanna is.
Speaker 2: No track record beyond, then just give it to Doran. I do think there's this idea that they want to get, you know, going back to like Misrawski making the team last year.
Speaker 1: I Actually, that's it. That's a valid argument, right if you said, like, we don't want to give it to a Rando Bazana was the first round pick, starts him to be right, Sorry, first, that's what I'm meant. Yeah, we expect him to be good. That is Actually I may or may not agree, but it's a real cojing argument, and I think a better use of the All Star Game. Then here's a good first half, right, I like, Also, the only reason he's here is here's a good first half. And he didn't even come up that early.
Speaker 2: Right, And it hasn't been that good at first half. No, not that Duran has been amazing or anything himself, Like he's a very similar line to Bazana, but he's played eighty one games, right, Like, I don't know. And look, there's a very good chance that Duran will end up on this rocker at some point because they're going to add another twenty players in the next week.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I mean.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but if you.
Speaker 2: Look at like I'm just gonna look at the leaders at second base this year, you know, Chase.
Speaker 1: Literally Chase, I do get but I guess to my mind, like you then you fill the starter and just do middle infielders find another shortstop. I don't care.
Speaker 2: It's very funny to me that like Bezanna made it and weather Holt didn't.
Speaker 3: And yeah, well that's so that's the at Lopez thing, because like Otto, Lopez also isn't the only Marlin in right Max, Yeah, x Minor is there, but also Xavier Edwards did not make it, and it seems very weird that one of them.
Speaker 1: Didn't having they're both having very they're both a great year. I mean, I think Lopez deserves to be there, sure.
Speaker 3: But then if you did Xavier Edwards, then you could do. Yeah, but then like you'd bump Louis Arise and like, I guess you need to have Louis Rise there.
Speaker 1: You don't need to, but he looks he's also having a nice year. I don't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, like weatherhol and Terrag probably both got snobbed a little bit here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well but yeah, but does you dropel Stewart and three first Basement and you can add one of these guys. I think the outfield is entirely deserving perfectly. Brenda Marsh is a starter. It's still a little weird. It's a little weird. I mean, so and again he's had a great year, but so is Andy Pies as a starter. But like the rest of the outfield is also all these guys in the NL are are deserving to be there. Uh yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 3: Baker just yeah, Brian.
Speaker 1: Good year, good year. No, I'm not trying, not trying to reliever.
Speaker 2: Well, I also don't know why.
Speaker 1: He closed for them, didn't He's been their closer And I guess.
Speaker 2: Patrick was talking about how many relievers are in the AL without matching that one of the starters is Michael Waka.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, and he's the he is the Royals representative, right, No, yeah, all right, okay, Nathan Ivaldi could have gone for Michael Walker. Yeah yeah, Nathan.
Speaker 2: Again, I think some of these are just the players votes are going to be weird. Well, we see the players votes, but.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's not. Yeah, I mean you said Kate Smith, Parker mess the Guardians have three.
Speaker 2: Man Well, Parker Mastic deserve like Bankly Parker mat deserves it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm not I'm just saying they have multiple they have multiple guys. I tell you I wasn't. I had lost track after the rough start and minor rebound for for Ranger Suarez. Yeah, I'm not. I was not expecting him to be on the All Star team.
Speaker 2: Well he's not going to be my fault grind, but yeah, well but he was.
Speaker 3: He was.
Speaker 1: He is an All Star. He is an star, yes, not even if he's not on the team.
Speaker 3: It's it's very funny, I know, you know. Obviously the Toronto the Canadians packed the vote, although they only succeeded in actually putting two guys in through the voting process, right, despite basically destroying any purpose of the runoff. Yeah, but the idea the Blue Jays have four All Stars is still pretty funny for a team that's like a negative fifty frand differential the Mariners have. One part of this pitching thing for the American League is that none of the Mariners starters made it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and like you kind of them really they really deserved it. They were all better than Michael some of them better than Michael waka Michael Walker.
Speaker 1: So yeah, there's a there, Yeah, I mean yeah. The Blue Jays thing is is Clement and Guerrero don't really deserve to be I mean a Clement does.
Speaker 3: It's the best second basement in the American League. It's just a really bad position.
Speaker 1: Like again, Doran has been better, has he has he tailed off? I thought I thought Ernie Clement had like a ninety five.
Speaker 3: I think it's like a one O seven is up.
Speaker 1: To one seven?
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, Duran's around one ten, So he's.
Speaker 1: At one sixteen Doran and it's.
Speaker 3: It's one of seven. I think.
Speaker 1: By I mean, if you want to see good enough ball park, that's fine. Again, this is like first half stuff. If you want to give Clement the credit for the the playoffs, I think that's fine.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: Again, some of this stuff is til you get trailing performance stuff. I don't really have a problem, but like flat doesn't deserve The thing is that the pitchers really do. Dylan Ceese and and lou Varland have been phenomenal as well. All I was trying to say, Yeah, and I honestly don't really have a problem with Vlad being there. He shouldn't be a starter, but I again, he is a star, and I know he has not been good this year. But the whole thing with the first half performance stuff, yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's it's not so much like angry stuffs so much just funny.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, all right, shall we go to our third segment, drag me down to hell? The baseballs are different. We are I don't know, are we indifferent?
Speaker 2: I'm I am at this point because it's it happens there, like this is just what baseball is now and what the baseballs are right. This is kind of weaved its way into the fabric of how we have to talk about baseball now.
Speaker 1: I think it is. It is an issue that is both important and in many ways none of my business.
Speaker 2: It's important to know about everyone's.
Speaker 1: My My issue had going back to the kind of the first kind of breakthrough reporting on this stuff had been with the league's obstinates in you know, coming forward with any information the sifications. It's straight up lying about the specifications. Yeah, I don't love the specifications are extremely wide. And so that's like a very meaningless makes the phrase so great rejoinder. But my issue was with their their last of truthfulness. Frankly, like they just they lied about stuff and they got caught lion, and that to me was a really really really big scandal. Beyond that, like they appear to be extremely bad at you know, consistent consistent production in this stuff, and that is that is something I think is important that they need to clarify. I also like, I'm not it doesn't upset me on a ethical or moral basis. I guess like it doesn't offend.
Speaker 3: Let's actually establish what happened.
Speaker 1: I'm just so, I'm going back to the to the stuff we've already talked about way back when, right, like, to me, the scandal was they tried to cover it up. The yeah, exactly, and they are incompetent, right, And I don't believe they've gotten more competent, and that is a problem. I don't think it's a scandal.
Speaker 3: So anyway, what happened is that after the baseball was normal for the first two months of the season, basically starting around June, the baseball stop.
Speaker 1: Well, and there's no normal.
Speaker 3: It was well, it was it was twenty twenty five drag coefficients.
Speaker 1: Kind of because I will say, I was talking about this with someone else and and like you can you can go search Matt Trueblood's Blue Sky posts and he's been since May being like the drag is dropping and it's weird. It's right, So like it's been whatever, But go ahead, I'm sorry, I keep saying.
Speaker 3: So Basically, Homer's for flaball in general norma, as the season warms up, they go up, right, It goes up generally about half a percent per month. In May it was ten point eight. In June, it's thirteen in July. So far it's fourteen point seven. We are now seeing drag that's as close to twenty nineteen as we've seen since twenty nineteen. That's what's going on. As far as like, I think I care more about this than either of you two do.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: I think part of it is that there's there's I'm of two mindst So one is that, like the question is why did the why did Like there's never really been answered why baseball? Why MLB lied about it in the first place, right, because you could have just said, yes, we're having some manufacturing problems. You try making a baseball, see how you well you do? And that could have just been and people wouldn't annoyed, but they wouldn't have been annoyed.
Speaker 1: Well, whatever I will say on the like, you try making a baseball, see how well you do? Is the front is that like other people were making the baseball, they bought the factory and said, like, we're going to do this and then I don't know. Maybe, look, we didn't pay attention to this kind of stuff. We didn't have stat cast to start measuring the drag on this stuff, like back when MLB wasn't co owners of the of the production facility. But maybe it was also a problem that.
Speaker 3: You can like.
Speaker 2: They definitely took us drag, right, or they definitely.
Speaker 1: But they took a company that knew what they were doing and had supply chain stuff in place and took it over and like they didn't have that expertise, so like it wouldn't surprise me if it got worse now I'm not Again, maybe the prior company also had these problems and we all just said, like a lot of home runs this month, yeah, right, like we didn't know, but now we know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, so keeping like home runs for fly ball, which we tracked the last twenty five years, I think basically that number since two thousand and two generally in the six to seventy eight percent range for a decade and a half. And then but are you going by year or by going by a year in league wide?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 3: And then like the swing approach, and then you have the launch angle of revolution quote unquote right.
Speaker 1: Which which again is in tandem with the ball change, right, and now we're seeing generally numbers more like ten eleven, like in.
Speaker 3: Twenty nineteen, it's twelve point eight for the year. It was way down before, like it was like eight point three. Given that we're only through you know, only through the cold months for the most part, was the lowest since twenty fourteen. That wouldn't have stayed there, but it's it was starting pretty low. We also no go ahead.
Speaker 1: I was just say Ben Ben Lindberg and Andino Saras asked the league about their baseballs and the production right this is last week, and they answered, I'm not going to read the whole thing. It's it's a fairly lengthy to paragraphs, but they basically answered and said, everything's within specifications as expected. And also some of these baseballs have some yellow discoloration because it's some oil and it's like it's potentially leaking into the the like through the seams into the specific But they answer this, they bring it up and like, I'm just gonna quote what Ben said. He said, I asked MLB about the recent variability in the drag and carry of the baseball. Here's the league's response, and then they just launched into like yellowing from excess oil from the yarn inside the baseball, and it was it is one of the most like my statement on the yellowing of the baseball is answering a lot of questions brought up by my statement. No one was asking about yellow baseballs. The question was about drag and carry, and they're like, listen, the baseballs are yellow, but it shouldn't impact the drag and the care. And it's like, well, something is why is every beat yellow? Hold on?
Speaker 3: So all right, So to go back to my point about the two lines, uh people, I think generally people don't want the baseball to change. They want it to be predictable. We want this partially because we want our players to have the same playing field as previous players. Baseball has this thing about, you know, the field, the way the game is played not changing very much so that we can compare players so that we can get a better sense of how good they are. Right. You also have the external factors, which you know about who is betting on these games. I don't I don't care about the betting on the games. People do care about the betting on the games. And yes, it looks weird, but.
Speaker 2: The season, like, you know, all this information is available, right, Like if you're an actual sharp or you're a casino, you are looking at stuff like car remember fly ball rate and run environment before you're setting over underlines.
Speaker 1: Sure so sure, but look, this is a rapid in season change.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like someone's probably got caught.
Speaker 1: With their pants down, right, so to speak, whether it's a better or or a book or whatever. I think the only part I and I don't really care, but like MLB really has to care about in this regard is their partners with these sports books are probably not thrilled.
Speaker 3: They're not happy.
Speaker 1: I imagine if the league was capable of shame, they should be embarrassed, right, But like I don't know that they are. Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I'm not going to care on those people's behalf.
Speaker 1: No, no, not to admit.
Speaker 3: That those forces are there that this this game to be consistent and because of those partnerships, every time something like this happens, you go, okay, but you know what people.
Speaker 1: Right right, this and this was the whole thing. Look, I spent a lot of time saying, like, I don't think these partnerships are like people talk about getting in bed with the sports books and stuff like, I don't think they're necessarily that kind of thing, but it raises the possibility. Like you, you've got to be on top of your game. You have to be very clean about all of this stuff. And the reality is MLB is very messy. Yeah, and so it introduces that possibility. And again they should be embarrassed by all of that.
Speaker 3: It is the part of the cost of doing business to be to work with these people is that you have to You're getting all this money from those you know, from the gamblers, less money than they spent. Yeah, but whatever money you're getting, somebody what I'm.
Speaker 1: Saying, like they should like you, you would hope given given everything that comes with it, like you, it should have been more money.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but you know what I mean. True, but you need to take some of that money and invest it in me making sure that you don't screw up like this, Like it's part of the cost of doing this particular type of business.
Speaker 1: Couldn't agree more.
Speaker 3: Now that's it. I actually like random baseball, Yeah, independent of independent of everything else. Yeah.
Speaker 1: This this goes back to the original report that like I don't care as much like if everyone's playing by the same, like random rules, not that the rules are like the randomness of the ball is true if it's truly random, and like you get what you get and you don't get upset, like and it's not biased in some way, shape or form.
Speaker 3: He's getting all the Yeah, I don't know what what you get. I don't think it happened, but you are opening up.
Speaker 4: Yeah, anyway, as long as it's all even what it does like this is this is a chance to throw a little bit of fair chaos into the game.
Speaker 3: And I think the sport needs more fair chaos. I think baseball needs to be more complicated for the people we need. We need the people who are his job is to solve the game to have more work to do, and this is a good way to give them more work.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's not good when it's entirely we don't want it to be predictable, right, that's exactly.
Speaker 2: Look, you can't I cannot say anything bad about the baseballs because it's allowed Junior Camon Arrow to do whatever he's doing, which he might be doing with like if he was swinging at bowling balls at this point.
Speaker 1: So, and to be clear, that there's there's additional I keep mentioning the original reporting, which was was broadly on the backs of Bradford, William Davis, and Meredith Wills for Business Insider. Bradford had come out with a new article today this morning on some emails he got a hold of from Morgan Sword to various scientists and other legal officials. I mean, the thing Bradford seems to be focusing on in his article is that Sword mentions a target home run rate and these are These are from twenty nineteen, to be clear, So this is new reporting on at the time discussions. These are not like new and I'm not trying to downplay it necessarily, but like it would hit differently to me, so to speak, if if we had an email from Morgan's Sword in May, or even in or even in February that said we want a different home run rate and now the ball is changing, right, These are twenty nine. I just want to set the scene for everyone. These are twenty nineteen emails, so it is of the of a piece of of when we're talking about those original reporting. I don't have a problem with the league wanting a target home run right, or run environment or anything we've seen. We've seen the was it. The MVB and KBO have both come out and said like we're ching the balls for this reason. Right, I don't think that's scandalous. Again, I think the league should be more forthcoming or not because people people's lives are based on it, right, Like, yeah.
Speaker 2: And this is sport. This is no only sport. This happens. And obviously there's remember that probably over a decade ago at MBA they changed they had like the slick basketballs whatever it was soccer like because it's.
Speaker 1: Well and they yeah, they changed it and then changed it back with it.
Speaker 2: Like the World Cup soccer ball is just different from any other soccer ball usually like this year, I know people have noticed it the playoff balls because it has the sensor and it like it's it's moving slightly differently because it has like slightly different I don't center gravity or whatever. But there have been issues before. There's one of them. I think it was a twenty ten World Cup had like a weird kind of like knuckleball effect to it that goalkeepers didn't like. Obviously, there was like the flight gate in the NFL, right, like, this is just something that but baseball. I think because baseball is so based around like it's it's baseball, it is really kind of like a physics experiment when you everything is physics, right from the pitches to the ball, how the ball travels off the bat and everything else in a way that kind of like other sports aren't as heavily indebted to just because like the distance being traveled is generally more so we're never getting away from this now that we can measure it basically.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, and again I guess I just I don't think. I think. I think you could argue the league should target home run right, they should want the consistency.
Speaker 2: Yes, it doesn't really matter what the rate is, as long as there's right, right, right right.
Speaker 1: The second half of what matters is can you do it? Can you produce a ball or a series of balls that consistently in that range? And the answer and the embarrassing.
Speaker 2: Part don't know anymore.
Speaker 1: And why I would assume the league isn't forthcoming about this is they would they have and would fail? Yeah, they were, you know, they could come out and say we want a I don't know, what did you say? It was mostly six and then it's ten and obviously now it's they might say we want somewhere in the eight twelve range, and then people are gonna say, like, hey, fucos, it's fourteen percent, right, what's wrong with you?
Speaker 2: And that's so, why are these baseball so oily?
Speaker 1: What? What's wrong with you? And they would say they're yellow? But it's fine, it's fine.
Speaker 3: It's a pleasant color.
Speaker 1: I really, I've.
Speaker 2: Never I just keep thinking back. You remember, I know you guys watch X Files, but the cerulean blue episode, and they're just saying, like, I don't know, like it's it's like dandelion yellow, just like over and try to like.
Speaker 1: The issue with the supplier. But due to necessary lead times associated with baseball production, the balls out the staining will not be shipped to clubs until late in the twenty twenty.
Speaker 2: Put some more mud on them to cover up the yellow stains.
Speaker 1: Well, so they do say MLB's game day compliance monitors remove any baseballs that show cosmetic imperfections after the pregame mudding process. Now they do. They also say, to be clear, there has been no change in the materials or manufacturing process of the baseball. I mean, but I don't know how that squares with extra oil in the yard that has been.
Speaker 2: Resolved but is also still but also it was never changed.
Speaker 1: We've resolved the issue, there have been no changes. Absolutely incredible. On that note, Let's take a break. We're going to resolve to never change, and we will be back with the Restless. Welcome back to episode five hundred and sixty of five and dive. We're on our fourth segment. We're going around the Horn. We'll start with some bad news. We've got two UCL reconstructions, one of which will actually be a third U Seel reconstruction for Paul Reagans. We managed not to bring that up specifically in the entire discussion we had on the Royal Well.
Speaker 2: I did say they were starting pitching was either bad or hurt, and he's.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: It feels Likechael Reagan's has gotten Tommy John in the middle of his other Tommy John. I feel like every every month we talk about him getting Tommy John.
Speaker 1: He he had also a lot of shoulder issues. I mean, like this is their window basically flew open when they traded a rold As trapman for Cole Reagan's and Cole Reagan's was elite and it's basically like, again, if he's gonna miss next year, how can next year possibly be better? Right?
Speaker 2: I think they also they can't done it. It is, but also they can't do anything to change it, right, Like that they can't do anything to change it, and they can't. Also they don't have any of miss out.
Speaker 1: Okay, well no, no, I want to be I know we all know this, but like they can do something to okay, but they will not fair, they will not. I think it's just so on that front, it's pretty devastating. It's not a change from the status quo because he's been hurt most of the season, but it's it's a very long term. Yeah, and like we don't know if he can come back from it from.
Speaker 2: A third do you see l surgery? Like it's like Johnny Benter's and like I can't think of anybody else that's actually come back from it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's the only one I I'm thinking of at the moment. Carl Stephen also going under under the knife for you see all reconstruction. It's a tough one. That's what he's the guardians. He was the Shane Beabery turn right and and someone who could have could have arrow up guy last year. Yeah, and then has been.
Speaker 2: Could have been a twenty twenty six factor in their rotation based on where he started the season.
Speaker 1: Brandon Woodruff has a dead arm.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we know moving it's dead, Jim moving on.
Speaker 1: This is probably the biggest item of discussion on the field from the weekend. Urie Perez had a perfect game through seven innings, pulled at ninety two pitches. It was what eight nothing? Yes, it and ended up a one run game.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The reliever immediately immediately walked a guy, so then it was a no hitter and then gave up five runs I think straight off the bat, and then they tacked on a couple more to make it a one run game.
Speaker 2: I don't like speaking of discourse. I'm just not This is just baseball now. The baseballs are inconsistent. The pitchers get pulled earlier during no hitters perfect games. Like give him Perez's age and his injury history.
Speaker 1: I don't, and he's what this is his third start off the IL.
Speaker 2: I don't have a huge problem with this, Like, like the fact of the matter is as cool as no hitters and perfect games are, Like they're just not cool enough or remembered enough to be worth.
Speaker 1: So I I just I disagree, Okay, I agree with you on no hitters. Perfect games are one of the rarest things in these they are.
Speaker 2: But also who to the last one?
Speaker 1: Like, I don't remember anything. That's that's that's a gotcha, that's not fair.
Speaker 2: The only one I remember is Tom Browning when I was a kid. Through one. I remember Philip Humber Phlip Humber. Yeah it's again, yahact like I don't. Yeah, you probably should have given him the eighth right, it's ninety two pitches. It's not but again, it's just.
Speaker 1: It's cool.
Speaker 3: That's the last one to do it.
Speaker 2: That makes sense. I did not remember that, But.
Speaker 1: Well, I think we intentionally forgot that. That was twenty twenty three. Yeah, and before that it was Felix.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, before that twenty twelve, had it had three?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, that was weird.
Speaker 1: Humber, Matt Kine and Felix in twenty twelve. I mean, look, there's twenty four I know in all of history. Plus I would say, which is the easiest one to remember? I just I do twenty four in the entire history of baseball? Yeah to me, Like, you let a guy go because look, if he goes to one hundred and ten, he's unless they just foul foulfoul, which I understand is what they had done. But like he's either gonna lose it via a walk or a hit or or you know, or whatever and then or an error and then whatever and then you pull him. But like there's twenty four ever in baseball's insanely long history of one hundred and sixty sixty two games a year, there's so many games, like you're gonna be I understand that it's Domingo Harmon and Philip Umber and like it's it's not the most glorious m hm list of names necessarily, but like it is an achievement that it's such a small percentage, right, Yeah, get to do it. I don't know how to. I couldn't take that away from someone a no hitter short, fine, I don't care about no hitters. That perfect game is a different story.
Speaker 3: Patrick, Yeah, I mean yeah, ninety two boy two pitches. Yeah, it's it's a bummer. I I want more than anything. Like, you can never criticize the individual decisions in these situations. You can only criticize the wide long view that has gotten us to this point, and I don't even know.
Speaker 1: What I'm criticizing. Don Mattingly, Okay, it's done that manage the market knew he was a manager. Again. The Marlins don't even have a marriage bench coach.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, I just wish baseball it's something I miss. I like pitchers pitching tired, and I understand why they don't. And I understand why they don't even without the rules.
Speaker 1: But I also to be clear that I am forticizing to Mattie.
Speaker 3: Okay, just whatever, whatever's going on, whatever the hell.
Speaker 1: Is going on, I don't like it. I agree with you, I'm not patter, but I am also criticizing Cleeton McCall. Yeah, I mean he learned from the best. Dave Roberts has removed Rich Hill in Miami from a perfect game after seven eights, I think, so, you know, he's he had an example set for him. Speaking of the Dodgers, we've got good news for teams that he don't need. Good news. Evan Phillips is back after a lengthy stay on the IL. The relief corps has been it's been up and down, but mostly pretty good. Tanner Scott is good again. Yeah, I don't I don't really want to admit it, but he's been very good.
Speaker 3: It's very funny that when Tanner Scott is bad, you hear about him constantly. When he's good, you like, the only way you know Tanner Scott's been good because you haven't.
Speaker 1: We also heard about Tanner Scott when he came up with the brimless hat.
Speaker 3: To be.
Speaker 1: Speaking of Dodger's closers, Edwin Diaz is facing live batters.
Speaker 2: He also did give a quote that like he did about the cock fighting ring, where he did not it's in the past and he did not do anything illegal and has not heard from Major League Baseball again.
Speaker 1: It was within specifications. Nothing has changed, but we've resolved the issue. Those live batters included Enrique Hernandez, who was recovering from a strained oblique. He had an oblique issue that he had just come back from. He had tweaked the I still I can't get over this. I just remember this. He he had tweaked the oblique that he had just come off the eel from he had I think he played like three four games total in that like in BP Yeah, and then said I'm going to keep playing it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: After tweaking a thing you just got off the iel front and then hit like a home run in a double and I'm the double. He really hurt himself.
Speaker 2: Well, take some more live VP and see if he can tweak it again and get another.
Speaker 1: Exactly, and then just play through it. Just play through it. It works for everybody. Yeah, that takes us to our game.
Speaker 3: Okay, so we're gonna play a new one this time. It's not really that going to be that different, but we haven't done this format. It's name that too. So what I'm gonna do is I'm gonna give you both a category and then you have to take turns stating how many players or names you can fulfill for that category without getting any wrong. And we'll keep going until somebody is a coward and the other person will either either the coward will win because the other person screws up, or they will get points for it. All right, so we're gonna start. Jeff will make the first bet here we are one to see how many of the twenty twenty five Colorado Rocky pitchers you can anybody's through at least faced one bat one batter.
Speaker 2: Okay, does that include players? Not that I'm going to try to guess.
Speaker 3: But let me let me pull up the list and I'm gonna say, no, yeah, we're not doing we're not doing players. So let me let me take on. Let me trim it down and then tell you how what your target is. Uh, all right, I've trimmed out four position players. I think those are the only four you have twenty nine, you know, twenty seven potential pitchers for the twenty twenty five Colorado Rockets.
Speaker 2: I will start conservatively and say eight.
Speaker 3: Okay, oh oh, it's bad, Craig, do you want to bid nine?
Speaker 1: I forgot about this game.
Speaker 3: This is a game that I like hosting and hate playing. Do not make this game? I want to say.
Speaker 1: Do I want to say nine?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 1: I honestly like again, my mind just vacates, do I? Yeah? I'll say nine? Sure?
Speaker 3: Okay, Jeff, you want to go ten?
Speaker 2: Yeah you can do ten.
Speaker 1: I don't like to you, Jeff, I don't like you.
Speaker 3: Uh sure, let's go eleven, okay, Jeff? Eight? Twelve?
Speaker 2: Mm hmm? How many Rockies relievers can I name? It is the eternal question.
Speaker 3: How many of last years?
Speaker 1: Which screen is like? As as we were doing the bidding process, I I was like remembering additional Rockies relievers, and then I was like, I was like, oh, so yeah, I can do this, And I know as soon as I start, I'll get four pictures total and I'll be like, I got nothing.
Speaker 2: I am more confident. Craig can't do eleven than I can do twelve.
Speaker 1: Wow, I was not going to thirteen. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I didn't think you were so all right.
Speaker 3: So Greig name eleven twenty twenty five Colorado Rockies Pictures.
Speaker 1: Antonio sends Itela love that you go there first. Ye, well you have to you do Kyle Freeland two, Uh, Ryan Feldner three, Seth Halverson four, Jimmy herget.
Speaker 3: The best one of them all. Five, Zach Agnos six.
Speaker 1: Thank you? I believe on how shivvy e?
Speaker 3: Uh? There is seven?
Speaker 1: There should there should be more starters in this mix. I named I named you say that, but uh that's now I'm remembering twenty twenty six Rockies. So how many of it? I got six? So I got past four seven, So far I'm a seven. There there were additional who Why can't I remember Lambert was? Lambert up? I'm already reaching.
Speaker 3: No, Lambert was. It's the point that's fine.
Speaker 1: I like the problem is, I know, I like, I know, I know so many.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm gonna name them Mafia get man. Yeah. Uh, Carmon Marquess.
Speaker 1: Okay, I thought about Marquees, but I couldn't remem Rember if he was injured. All year stars should have just said it.
Speaker 3: Chase Dollander, Tanner, Gordon's, Bradley Blaylock, are your forgettable starters as far as uh, Victor Vodnick the.
Speaker 1: God next, that's it came and went, and that.
Speaker 3: Brave Star middle reliever Tyler Kelly Kenley. I got Jake Bird, you got Austin gomber So Bird.
Speaker 2: I wasn't sure if I traded the deadline.
Speaker 1: I knew he was traded, but I didn't remember which, if it was that deadline or.
Speaker 3: The one before. Uh, you wanted to dig deep Rocky's relievers. If you wanted to dig deep, there's Nick Anderson and Ramsey Contreres. Oh yeah, so second one, Uh, this one, Craig gets to go first. It is. There have been thirty nine first overall draft picks since nineteen eighty seven, which is when modern baseball began. How many first overall picks do you think you could.
Speaker 1: Mean I'm gonna decimated. I'm going to get.
Speaker 2: You act like I pay attention to the draft, but you know, you knows, you know first overall picks.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I'm gonna say like seven.
Speaker 2: Seven, eight.
Speaker 1: Nine.
Speaker 2: It would be more funny to make Craig do it, but.
Speaker 3: I know would Craig's got to decide what the point of how much is it worth not to have the name names?
Speaker 1: Ten, ten, eleven.
Speaker 2: This is almost funny enough to make Craig do it? Now, I gotta I do actually have to think now for a second. I should be able to do.
Speaker 1: And I can, like look at standings, just look at teams, right, it helps my Sure, twelve twelve, I think you can do twelve?
Speaker 3: Like, do you think you can do the thirteen? Because you can at least hope he screws up.
Speaker 5: No, he's not, He's not gonna screw Yeah, I think I do.
Speaker 1: I don't know. Sure, Just go do twelve and I'm gonna lose all.
Speaker 2: All right, fine, Casey mies yep, Spencer tarkleson.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, wait a minute, you're gonna go. You start at Antonio sends a tella for me and you used to start with Casey.
Speaker 3: Spencer Tarkleson.
Speaker 2: That's two, Jackson Holliday, Where did you think I was gonna start?
Speaker 1: Where did I think you were gonna start? Yeah? We literally named one earlier on the.
Speaker 2: Show, Adley Richman, Hi, Rushmand, that's four? Sure we did. I don't necessarily don't think I remember anything from like the beginning of the show. Craig okay, the two Tigers and two Oriels. So Paul Skeens, yep? Can I say Markopell twice?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah?
Speaker 3: And he wasn't he wasn't a first round first twice or first overall twice?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 2: Brady Aiken? Okay, what's that? Seven?
Speaker 3: That is seven?
Speaker 2: I need five more? Okay, Carlos Korea see in nineteen eighty seven? Pardon? Do I want to go back? As the problem like trying to remember who was like Chipper Jones was first overall?
Speaker 3: Wasn't he was?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like the famous older one I remember, Uh Todd Van Poppold Van was not well. I got I got too clever there apparently.
Speaker 3: Yeah you should.
Speaker 1: I thought Harper and Strasburg.
Speaker 2: Getting there, But I was like trying to get to where those will be my last two.
Speaker 3: Harper and Strasburg was Bazana was the one. Craig was mentioning Eli Willits is of course this last year, and Henry Davis, Royce Lewis, Mickey Moniac, Dansby Swanson. Then your big names before that, Garrett Cole, David Price, Justin Upton, Joe Mauer, Adrian Gonzalez. I always forget he was the first overall pick. Yeah, txas Josh Hamilton, pat the bat. Then some real choices, uh and Arod Brian Taylor is on.
Speaker 2: Brian Taylor instead of Todd Van Popple. I was sure about Brian Taylor. Then I was about Todd Van Pople.
Speaker 3: Big Ben McDonald, Andy Bellis and Kengar Vi Jr.
Speaker 1: But Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh Wash.
Speaker 3: Was the athletics, and I think he went like, didn't the pirates have who's.
Speaker 2: The there is bullying?
Speaker 3: Second? One thing second Van Papa was fourteenth overall. I think has signability issues.
Speaker 2: That might be why. I don't know.
Speaker 3: It was a high school pitcher and had committed.
Speaker 2: Yeah someone I got too clever there instead of just playing out the two thousand times one.
Speaker 3: All right, So category three, Jeff will go first on this Wellington was Bullington wasn't one pick?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: It was okay, yep, two.
Speaker 3: Thousand and two negative.
Speaker 1: I want to be clear. I would not have thought of him, all right.
Speaker 3: Next one, there are seventy six current umpires in baseball.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, god absolutely, are you kidding me?
Speaker 3: The number Candy one? If you want it to be it doesn't matter, or does it?
Speaker 1: Does it include the ones who are reportedly accepting a buyout.
Speaker 2: They're still they're still empires.
Speaker 3: I was trying trying to determine yes, because that's like all the ones you can make.
Speaker 2: I'm saying four, right, Craig, can you do five umpires?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm gonna say five.
Speaker 2: I don't even want to do six. I probably could if I thought about it. I'll do six, fine, okay, six, great, I love this game. Let me do it and we'll move on. C. B. Buckner, last, Dias Seer Wendel stat three, Carlos Torres.
Speaker 3: Yes, four.
Speaker 2: I just remember because he's the same name as the Matt's picture. Jim Joyce still an umpire.
Speaker 3: No he's not.
Speaker 2: I don't She's not officially a full time umpires.
Speaker 1: I didn't know what Okay, okay, it was full time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so ron Kopa. Let's see. As far as famous ones, the Tony Rendazo, I feel like.
Speaker 1: He was the expert on hand. Yes, oh yeah, you didn't remember who that was Italian last name, but he might have retired.
Speaker 3: So yeah, ron Kolpa is one. I always recognized Lance Barksdale.
Speaker 2: Oh, actould have gotten Lance Barksdale.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and there are some of the really good young ones, but I don't follow there anymore, so I don't remember their names.
Speaker 3: Dan Bellino, I feel like I've heard sometimes and that might be it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, as first, Yeah, I know the thing is like the good good young ones are pretty anonymous.
Speaker 3: Second forth in a good way. Yep, all right, Craig's up two point to one. We will probably just do two more of these. We want to do seven. Next one is the one that Craig was supposed to have the advantage on contributors to the twenty fifteen VP Annual. Twenty fifteen. Yeah, I'm going to get an advantage on that. Well, sure, you know, listen to these people.
Speaker 1: More than Jeff Dogs.
Speaker 2: I wasn't on the twenty fifteen annual. I got hired in September twenty fifteen.
Speaker 1: But the you have it.
Speaker 3: There are twenty four credited.
Speaker 2: People sixteen on when there are twenty four.
Speaker 3: Credited people in the twenty fifteen BPO. This is the slim green.
Speaker 1: There are some there are some big big names here that you didn't mention on that on the oh for the for the Empires Dings, Oh suregatds and Mike Estabrook. Come on, all right, Craig, he Helenia, No, Nora, I'm remembering some guys.
Speaker 3: Okay, Craig, how many?
Speaker 1: How many people?
Speaker 3: How many contributors? How many credited contributors to the twenty fifteen annual?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 3: Can you can?
Speaker 1: I look at it?
Speaker 2: You people?
Speaker 3: Look at me?
Speaker 1: Have it over there?
Speaker 3: You can look at this? Fine?
Speaker 1: Uh? How many Jesus?
Speaker 3: This is the This is the annual that I feel is the best one.
Speaker 1: And is also the papers shitty, right, No, it was.
Speaker 3: The font was smaller and so it got the worst reviews.
Speaker 1: But I think it's thin. I think the pages are thin too. I'm gonna I'm a huge coward.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna say like five, five, I think I can do six.
Speaker 1: I'll go seven.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say if Craig started with seven, I was gonna make him do it. So I will make Craig do seven.
Speaker 3: Alright, seven names?
Speaker 1: Do the editors count? No? Yes or no?
Speaker 3: I'm gonna say yes. I'm gonna say a chance an editor myself. I've written lots of stuff for the book.
Speaker 1: I the problem with that. I want to offer Jeff the ability to adjust if you want to.
Speaker 3: So, Jeff, do you want to add to your number? Now that I'm saying the editors caun't.
Speaker 2: I don't actually remember who the editors are, but Craig probably does. So I have to go eight. I think.
Speaker 1: I'm pretty sure I do. I'll make you do it. I think you can do it like you can.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 1: No, it was a real offer. He doesn't have to but me do it. He wrote changes the game. If you say, here's two people, I think he'll know. Yeah.
Speaker 3: No, no, just very hard. I'm complimenting you, Craig.
Speaker 1: That was slow. I thought you were well. I'm not trying to be duplicitous.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all right, Jeff named eight contributors.
Speaker 1: Well, I don't know if I can do nine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Sam Miller, okay, that's one. Russell Carlton I think he was still there while I was.
Speaker 1: You just have to know whether he was up with a team or not.
Speaker 2: I think he was on the fifteen because he was there when I was hired.
Speaker 3: He is not credited.
Speaker 6: Christ Okay, can I well, okay, we we got a probably there's an error in this.
Speaker 7: Yeah, so all right, this is this is an issue we The front page of the book was not No, it is.
Speaker 3: It doesn't list all the authors.
Speaker 1: Oh, it's only like comment writers. I don't know.
Speaker 7: I because they're like, my name's on the front of the book. I wrote one essay and wrote one team comment for this book. The first, the the the uh. Tim Marschman wrote an essay.
Speaker 1: I don't even I don't even have the twenty fifteen. I have the Futures Guide.
Speaker 7: I don't go get a copy. Tim Marchman's got an essay in here and is not on the cover. I think they only put actual DP employees on the on the title page, and I don't have a way of going through.
Speaker 3: Every single essay to see who actually is. So we're gonna writ after all this fourteen, after all of that, we're not going to do this categor I'm gonna skip it. So sorry, you guys, get to pass, because I'm not going to bother looking through the book to think.
Speaker 1: So that was Samon Woj.
Speaker 3: That was Samon Woj.
Speaker 1: I absolutely would have said David Roth. Just assume he's been doing it. I don't know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so sorry, all right, we're gonna go. This means that Craig, you get to bid again. This time it is going to be for net positive framers current twenty six. There are twenty nineteen nineteen catchers that are above average at framing. I have above average framing runs this year.
Speaker 1: There's no minimum, there's no minimum.
Speaker 3: Just have to have more than Actually it might be a minimum. I'm gonna say it's five thousand plus pitches. So they have to be a start off.
Speaker 2: They have to well that'd be a starter, but you probably have to.
Speaker 3: We have to at least half time basic it plus pitches. So it's whatever the it's whatever the default filtering was.
Speaker 1: I don't know what the filter is. I don't know like what that means for some very obviously good ramers who are like half time. I don't know if half is five thousand or not. I don't know.
Speaker 3: Three hundred plus innings. It's the filter. So it's literally yeah, so it's literally if they half half the games.
Speaker 1: All Right, I'm gonna say you said there's twenty nineteen. I'm gonna say, like again, I'm gonna make a coward. I'm gonna say.
Speaker 2: Six, I can do seven.
Speaker 1: Let's say.
Speaker 2: Do eight.
Speaker 1: Craig, Yeah right, I had I feel that was a bad, poor strategy. All right, you know what, let's Jesus Christ. Let's let's just say I'm gonna I'm gonna start off with a weird one. Why not mh Brandan Valens whale.
Speaker 3: Well, he's second overall, it's not that weird, so that's.
Speaker 1: Well, it's not that, but he's not like who you He's not like a notable catcher, so like Dylan Dingler.
Speaker 3: Number one. So that's two.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well that I felt. I felt good about Dylan. M hm hmm. I'm gonna i I honestly, you have not checked in on this. I don't know how he's doing. I'm gonna say cal.
Speaker 3: Raleigh, yes, three, Okay, that's three.
Speaker 1: That is three. How about mm hmm, that's dicey mm hmm. How about William Contrares?
Speaker 2: Uh no, shit, no, you didn't do Patrick Bailey.
Speaker 1: Bailey worried about time.
Speaker 3: Bailey is nineteenth. Actually even though he's he's plenty over the threshold, but he is a point. He is at point two framing runs get.
Speaker 1: To Patrick Bailey. But like, I was worried about play in time. I was trying to go on on starter.
Speaker 3: Number three is Louise Torrance.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was.
Speaker 1: Gonna, I was gonna say Louis Torrence. I really was.
Speaker 3: Number four, weirdly is Victor Carrottini three point four.
Speaker 1: We love Victor.
Speaker 3: Austin Wells, Adley Richman Francisco operas Hunter Fiduccia.
Speaker 1: So again, Adley was I was worried about playtime. He's been hurt twice. I think this season already, So like.
Speaker 2: I wasn't that long.
Speaker 3: But yeah, all right, all right, last one, bad performance.
Speaker 2: Just don't be the person who got yeah family.
Speaker 3: Last one. There have been eighteen position players for the twenty twenty six Miami Marlins. Jeff, how many of them? Can you?
Speaker 1: Nick?
Speaker 3: This includes people who are not on the active roster. But we've played for the Marlins this year nineteen nineteen Marlins.
Speaker 2: Craig very confident.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think I think so nine ten.
Speaker 2: Craig's and I gotta think, can I actually ten he just said, all right, I'll do eleven, all.
Speaker 1: Right, name eleven? All right, all right, it's not I think I could maybe do a lot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like I was thinking I had to start counting like in my head, and I got close enough that I think I can get there if I think, all.
Speaker 1: Right, it wouldn't shock me if you can do it.
Speaker 2: Liam Hicks one, Augustin Ramirez two, Joe Mack three, Uh, Jacob Marcy.
Speaker 3: Or yeah, I know, I'm trying to find where he is, okay four.
Speaker 2: Otto Lopez five, Xavier Edwards six, Javier Sonoha seven, Kyle Stowers eight.
Speaker 1: I like that you skipped first base because I.
Speaker 2: Also, yeah, I know they have a first baseman. But all right, now it gets like the problem is like one of them that I had in my head. Oh uh, Connor Norby nine, I need what two more?
Speaker 3: Two more?
Speaker 2: It's all tricky. Did I say? I didn't say?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 2: When Casey that's ten, that's.
Speaker 3: Ten, one more for the with it's the This is.
Speaker 2: So annoying because it's the other guy they traded with, Marseille, and I cannot like his name, just like has completely escaped me.
Speaker 1: Well, they.
Speaker 3: Don't hint, no, it's not.
Speaker 2: It's maybe it wasn't with Marcia, it wasn't the same. Still missing an outfielder too, Oh no, because I got stars in the two. Yeah, I mean I've seen a lot of Marlin's games. They played the Mets affair bed I like not and the catchers. What's the other guy? It's not Marci, it's the it's the third basement. That's not really a third baseman. Oh yeah, and his name like.
Speaker 1: That is one of the as I'm thinking of. I forgot he was part of that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was, And like I just like, for whatever reason, his name is just I'll just I'll just tap out because I gotta go.
Speaker 1: He went to Does that help you?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: Graham?
Speaker 2: Right, Graham, I think the most, Like it's very duke name.
Speaker 3: I suppose boy Hernandez uh congratulations, Craig on your on.
Speaker 1: Pally in the least.
Speaker 3: Uh Leo him and his estuary Ruiz.
Speaker 2: Brian never read he No, I mean yes, but.
Speaker 3: Now Davison del Santos and I forgot he was there.
Speaker 8: Austin Slater, who was their first basement Christopher Morrell, Yeah, dollar contract, Yeah, okay, all right, sure?
Speaker 1: Why not? Well a rousing a rousing victory. I'll take it. Thank you for the game, Patrick, I know you it was delightful for you to host. Thank you to our listeners for joining us on another episode of five and Dive, brought to you by the Baseball Perspectives podcast Network. You can get in touch with the show at five and Dive at Baseball perspectives dot com. We are wherever you get your podcast. Search for Baseball Perspectives Podcast Network and we'll be in that feed. Thank you. If you've been waiting for the pod to be over, your time, Isn't it
Speaker 3: Cast the STUF