Speaker 1: One of us have to speak first, given that it's your podcast. I assumed that you would do that.
Speaker 2: Callum, what do you think?
Speaker 3: I'm not allowed to talk.
Speaker 2: So things have gone slightly arrived for this week's episode of Country Slide in that Richard Nigas is off on a fact finding mission about whether they could dump some extra sand out into the North Sea and reclaim Dogland to make it an extension of Suffolk out towards the Low Countries, and Callum is unavailable because he's what is he doing? I don't know, something to do with computers and AI probably, So instead we have we've got producer Amy, who we've allowed to speak for one special week. Yeah, and we've purloined George from from Guns on Pegs and Scry Pound. So I'll let George speak because he's got such a wonderfully melodious voice.
Speaker 1: Melodious is it? Well, it's very nice to be back. It's a great honor to be asked again.
Speaker 2: Well, last time you were here, you were in a room which had a timer on the light switch, so every sort of seven and a half minutes you had to stand up and hit the switch to bring yourself back in.
Speaker 1: He's had to do sort of interpretive dance in the middle of the room to get the motion sensor to register that I was present. Today, I am in a completely different place, and hopefully all the lights will not go out. I'm interested in this doggerland thing. Though. How far out into the North Sea does Nigas propose we go? Is he's suggesting that we, you know, rejoined the continent.
Speaker 2: I think that'd be too far, even for Richard Nigus. I know he does quite like spending time in the South of Italy and things like that, but reattaching Suffolk fully to the continent might be too much for.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it would be. I think that would be just a little step too far. But getting close enough that you could use something such as a trebishe he might be for that.
Speaker 1: I think he would. He'd be very happy about all the new flat land though, wouldn't he? Probably flat land?
Speaker 2: Think of the hedge and dike opportunities that that would offer in that new land.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a very good point. There'd be some very interesting archaeology.
Speaker 2: Yes, I mean, in all seriousness, it is something people have suggested. Because you go, you'd have to go that far off the coast of Suffolk, and the water is only a meter or two deep in places. You know that the old land this land bridge that used to connect the British Isles to Europe was was there, and it was it had rolling hills and valleys and all sorts of sort of herds of elk running around and hunter gatherers trying to hunt them.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's going to still need quite a lot of sand. I would imagine we do we need Bedfordshire. He's gonna dig out Bedfordshire.
Speaker 2: I think hollow out Bedfordshire and make dogg aland is probably the best option for everyone.
Speaker 1: Really seems fair.
Speaker 3: I can't see a problem.
Speaker 2: No, So we are recording this at the very very end of June, and it will be coming out at the very beginning of July. And for several reasons in our world, July is effectively either you started harvesting early month or it's game fair month.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I'll tell you what I reckon. Harvest. Certainly in this neck of the woods looks like it's going to be pretty early this year. I was out in Wiltshire over the weekend and the barley looks absolutely ready to rip. Now it's not actually ready. I chewed some and it's still pretty soft, but it's all ready to go. As far as color wise.
Speaker 2: Where was this scene where you were just standing in someone's field chewing barley? Or is this just did you stop for a week and a lay by?
Speaker 1: Well? I was. We were out on a sim day with the most noble order to gardis the guns on peg podcast listeners. So we were surrounded by the beautiful rolling chalk valleys of Wiltshire and lots of stunning scenery. Actually, and yeah, their barley all looked ready to go.
Speaker 3: Is the barley actually grown well this year it's gone tall enough and everything, or is it still a bit stunted.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a little bit short.
Speaker 3: It's a little bit short, very dry recently, I mean we've had we don't have crops around here in the same way that you guys do in Hampshire and East Country, but the silid cuts that they've been taking have been pretty short.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's not as short as last year when it was you know, sort of barely even knee high in places, which is a better than that. And actually, you know they look like decent thick crops. But you know, I only inspected one ear in great detail. So also, I'm not really an agronomist or a farmer in any meaningful sense, so I'm sort of starting to reach the outer limits of my knowledge.
Speaker 2: Now, is this going to be a service you offer to people? Sort of George Brown's metaphysical crop walks. You sort of go out and say whether it feels right.
Speaker 1: I do quite a lot of farming from car on long journeys. You know, look out the window and go, courk, cows look good, you know, as you whistle past at seventy five seventy miles an hour, it's the perfect speed at which to assess livestock.
Speaker 3: It's like vibe farming. Yeah, like just going right, Okay, it's it's a little bit soft weight. Two more days and that'll be hard enough, ready to go perfect.
Speaker 2: I usually drive by mountaineering from car where you would as driving or a valley on the way to somewhere else, look at all these ridges and go, yeah, I reckon that would go sort of Grade three scramble or maybe actually maybe it's a VID in that section, so you might be ropes on there, and.
Speaker 1: Then yeah, drive by farming sounds a bit different, though. Drive by farming sounds like, you know, you surreptitiously deposit livestock on somebody's place as you go past.
Speaker 2: That's gorilla farming. It's like steed bombing, but except you do it with cows, you know, freesion bombing.
Speaker 1: There we go, like, I like the idea of gorilla farming. I like the idea of drive by farming. I think maybe you know this could be a new movement.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean certainly there's a campaign there.
Speaker 1: Sort of the anti Derek gow.
Speaker 2: With beaver bombing that he does allegedly allegedly or links bombing, because the other one isn't it allegedly? Who are you my lawyer?
Speaker 1: I'm my lawyer.
Speaker 2: On this stage. You appeared on a podcast where you claimed that's so and so engaged in a legal activity. So the wonderful gamefare at Ragley Hall? Are we all going?
Speaker 1: We are?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 2: I am m hmm.
Speaker 3: I believe I aren't because you need somebody to drive.
Speaker 2: Yes, well, the questions have been raised about whether I should put in for the mobility scooter this year to get around.
Speaker 1: If you don't, you won't have another opportunity to do so, for you know, twenty odd years at least.
Speaker 2: We hope not we hope now. I mean, I do quite like the idea of rattling down those metal walkways on the main sections on a mobility scooter like Rommel, of rolling rolling into the again into the low.
Speaker 3: Country, you'd be you'd be doing or just technique drive by game faring.
Speaker 2: Drive by game faring. Guess you don't have to actually go into any of the stalls. You just go past some judge.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and if you take some binoculars you can see the prices from the walkway.
Speaker 1: Knowing you as I do, it wouldn't be surprising to me if you modeled your game Fair mobility scooter to make it do forty miles an hour.
Speaker 2: I do think that when you're still wandering through the thronged crowds, can you be a thronged crowd and you'll turn behind you and there's a nineteen year old with long hair wearing a high vis vest, driving a John Deere gator or something very very slowly with a VIP on board, trying to get to wherever they're doing a talk.
Speaker 1: Yeah, have you ever done the game Fair setup? Because they are extremely enthusiastic about people wearing high vis at all time?
Speaker 2: Are they? I never have I used to do years ago, or of the family business. We used to do lots of country fair set up things, but that was late nineties, early two thousands. Where as long as you didn't run over more than three people per show, they didn't really give a crap.
Speaker 1: Yes, I think that they had a ticking off from the HSE at some point, because certainly when I first did one, which would have been just the year post COVID, so probably twenty twenty one, they didn't appear to give two hoots, and then in subsequent years they've got more and more enthusiastic about neon vests.
Speaker 2: The guns on pegstand are sort of evolved into this like a floating aircraft carrier of a stand now, hasn't it with all sorts of sections.
Speaker 1: Yes, sort of part living room, part part office I guess, and a bar.
Speaker 2: The air again next year this year, this.
Speaker 1: Year, guntle Pegs will be there. Yes, I mean I don't really have very much to do with the activities on the stand these days. I'm there representing the podcast and that sort of thing. So we're recording in the Gamefare Theater again on Saturday, which we do every year, and much of the rest of the time, I'm just going to be a punter, barring one or two things.
Speaker 3: Oh well, that's nice. What time are you going to be at the Carter Jonas Theater with podcast?
Speaker 1: I think it's four thirty. I think we have the theater from four, but it normally takes us a little bit of time to get set up, so yeah, four thirty. Will be on stage for about an hour or so, talking shooting related nonsense.
Speaker 3: Excellent.
Speaker 2: It was last year where just as you were all going in, I said to Sam of your tribe, don't worry. Just remember that everyone's looking at you, judging you, and it is recorded live.
Speaker 1: Yes, I have to say that podcasting for me feels very natural and sort of my happy place. Being on stage I find really quite scary, certainly in the build up to it. Once we're on stage, the adrenaline kicks in and I can sort of I'm so concerned about making sure that we get to the next bit and that the thing's flowing along nicely that I sort of forget how nervous I am. But if you look closely, you will be able to see my hands shaking for the first ten or fifteen minutes until I settle into it, so.
Speaker 2: The adrenaline sort of flows through the rest of you, down into the ground and out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's a reason we have a drink in our podcast, and that's one of them.
Speaker 2: I was going to say, does it help if you just sort of get drunk enough that you can defocus your eyes so much that you can't see beyond the stage, so you can't actually see the crowd? It just a blur.
Speaker 1: One year, I bought I typically I might drink for that episode at the Game Fair, and I bought a bottle of Cask Strength New Zealand whiskey. And I hadn't read the label sufficient with sufficient care before we went on stage, and it wasn't so much my vision was the problem. But I had a little sip of it, and then I couldn't really speak for about a minute and a half.
Speaker 2: Wow, the little flammable warning on the label.
Speaker 1: That really, yeah, exactly, very nice whiskey, though, so.
Speaker 2: Amy, You've not your first attendance at a game there was with me, wasn't it. You had never been into anything.
Speaker 3: Like like that?
Speaker 2: No, Sorry, I'm croaking at the same time, and I'm trying to not get distracted by that huge wasp. But that's come into my office. It's like the size of a V twenty two osprey.
Speaker 3: Nice. Definitely not a harlet.
Speaker 2: We shall see. So what what did you think about there?
Speaker 3: So it's interesting because the first one that we attended was just as punters, purely punters and shooting field sports country ways is not in It wasn't in my blood to my knowledge, until all of my grandparents died, and then I suddenly found out that actually both of my grandfathers had done a little bit of shooting when they were younger, and all this kind of thing pschi nice. Yeah, I like my I know my uncle used to go fishing as a boy, but it's kind of like everybody did then, I suppose, especially where they lived. But the game fair completely different place to me, completely different crowd, but was really nice and just relaxed, interesting, lots to see, lots to do, loads of things to try food and drink wise, which is always bonus in my book. And the weather was just fantastic as well, I think. And that one was Ragley Hall, wasn't it that first one?
Speaker 2: Yes, it was Ragley And then we went to blen him and then it's back at Ragley, which is actually easier for us because it's closer, but I think it's like harder for the rest of the country to get to.
Speaker 1: Amy. What was your experience of sort of trade shows and fairs of that ilk before the Game Fair?
Speaker 3: Then, so before the Game Fair when I was a kid, I remember Mum taking me to kind of the local county shows and things. I think I went to Cheshire County Show and I just have one memory of that where I was looking in the one of the tents and they had all sorts of different things, including ferrets, and I was handling this ferret which was being really nice and gentle, and my mum saw it from across the tent and thought, oh, that looks really nic and I always loved animals as a kid, and she walked over and smelt it and immediately just said, you are not having one, no fair, It's in our house, okay. But other than that, I suppose other kind of shows that would be similar but in different areas were the outdoor trade show, the there's a big outdoor show down in London that I went to a few years ago, which was all climbing, hiking, killwalking, that kind of thing. But that was all indoors as well, so it's always a bit different going to anywhere that's like the NEEC or this that was at the thing. It's that Excel down in London. Yeah. Yeah, so not the same kind of thing at all. And then, like I said, just as a child, County shows so very different.
Speaker 2: There was something you said to me at the first game for Amy, there was a layer of conservation and land management and farming and all sorts of other things overlaid onto is meant to be a recreation thing, whereas if you go to the National Outdoor Expo whatever the hell it's called this year, which is the hiking one, you won't find anything to do with the conservation or anything like that unless maybe the Woodland Trust have a stand there or something like that, and that would be the only thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, one d percent, one hundred percent true. So you've been going to the game fair for a long time, I'm guessing, George.
Speaker 1: Well, actually my first game fare was only in twenty nineteen. I might have gone to one when it used to move around a lot when it was the Cla Game Fair. There was one in Hampshire, which I remember going to, but I would have been you know, I don't know if i'd even have been a teenager at that point. That would have been at Broadlands, I think. But yeah, apart from that, and so I've only ever really experienced the game Fair until last year at any rate as you know, somebody on a stand. And so then last year I went along for the day describe and didn't have a stand. So I went along just for the Saturday to record the Guns on Pegs podcast and I wandered around the game Fair a bit as a punter, and it's such a different experience, you know. Not one of the things about being on a stand is that you often feel guilty for being off it, yes, because it is quite a full on thing and everybody is you know, you're you're on this stand at sort of seven in the morning, seven eight o'clock and it's just pretty full on from then until quite late at night sometimes because of all the little drinks parties and what have you. So, yeah, just being able to wander about and you know, nip into a stand and or you know, nip into a friend's stand and have a chat without constantly feeling well I've got to get back because the guys will need me, you know. It's nice to have that freedom. And actually I did a bit of retail there last year. I bought shooting coats for my kids, which was an interesting experience trying to work out the very confusing size brackets that they have.
Speaker 2: Want to look at the kid's clothing there always seems like they've got the arm length right, but not the body length.
Speaker 1: Well, this is exactly it. So I bought two shooting coats, ostensibly the same size. My daughter's one is a perfect fit apart from the sleeves being a little bit long, and my son's, I mean it looks like a sleeping bag on him. It comes almost to ankle length.
Speaker 3: Fantastic.
Speaker 1: I can only assume that they were aiming for the same size because the number in it was the same.
Speaker 2: It's like one of those Arabian throbe things sort of just walks up here. Wear that is a sole garment, Yeah, like a trench coat. Yeah, there must be a spreadsheet somewhere of the average size of a child like child size ratio, but I imagine every manufacturer has got their own different version of it, and otherwise it's you end up just marketing entirely to short torsoed long armed midgets or something like that.
Speaker 1: It is complete. I mean, I could actually go on about this for a very long time, but this is a country side a broadly countryside podcast, rather than a parenting podcast. But yes, different companies. I think they just sort of guess, oh, well, you know how big is a six year old? Well about that big? Yeah, I'm not sure they've ever seen a six year old.
Speaker 2: This is why I always gravitate towards the Gilly stand Gilly clothing, because I've got fifty inch chests, thirty eight ish inch waist and a giant head, which is a problem for finding clothing unless you go to Gilly because the owner, Hey, is well, I'm fairly sure he's descended from the nepheline, the sort of the mythical race of giants from the Bible. He he makes me look like, well, look tiny in comparison, but all the Gill clothing of the sizes brilliantly fit me.
Speaker 1: I love Gilly stuff, their sort of field shirt thingies. I bought one and I wasn't sure if it was the right size, so they then ordered another one the next size. Up, and then I got over excited and thought I'll have two more. So I'd initially intended to return one of them, which everyone turned out to be the wrong size, and in the end I just thought, bugger it, I'm going to have more of these. So when I'm fishing next week in Scotland, I will be wearing a Gillie shirt every day.
Speaker 2: So is this a good ruse to get them past your wife as well? So you can say, no, it's the same shirt. Look, it's the gilly one.
Speaker 1: Well it would be if they weren't different colors.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, yes, your wife's quite good on those kind of things, I imagine.
Speaker 1: Yes, she does tend to notice.
Speaker 2: So we've got a few with our three point five million listeners or three listeners, whichever one you believe that we have.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: I think most people know what the Game Fair is and what it's about by now. We've banged on about it often enough in these shows. But it's actually quite a little tent pole of an outdoor show within the UK market, because it's quite big, isn't it In terms of numbers. It's one hundred and thirty thousand people over three days, big numbers.
Speaker 1: I often see sort of people. You know, after all of these shows, those people on social media moaning about the thing. Oh, we've turned up and we've been round in two hours. It was time to go home. We've done everything, And I just think that's nonsense. There is so much to see and do, and there are huge numbers of people there, particularly on sort of the Saturday if it's sunny, it's it's like Piccadilly Circus there sometimes.
Speaker 2: And because you're in those rows, in between all the tents and the marquies and the things, it often feels quite busy, just by the fact you can't fit everyone into that what gun makers row or the was the shopping experience or something wherever you go to buy your hot tubs from.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean Callum Callum had been to like four or five shows before he even managed to make it into the Fishing Village, haven't they. So I can't believe that you can get around the whole show in two hours.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you do have to go looking for the Fishing Village a bit. What is you have done in previous years? It's sort of because they put it down by the lake. Do you sort of have to go and hunt it out? A bit. It's sort of slightly off to one side.
Speaker 2: Well, the way Callum described it was sort of like Brigerdoon. It was sort of like this mythical place that if the myths were just right, it would reveal itself to you. You go, oh wow, there's the fishing village. I found it this year.
Speaker 1: Yes, you have to Invokejeremy Wade.
Speaker 2: So, speaking of Jeremy Wade, we have a We've had a bit of a ruse and a bit of an idea for what we can do for the game Fair this year, and being terrible at making money as we are, we've decided to do a thing which will cost you, the listener, a small amount of money, but the money will all go to the Game and Wildlife Conservancy Trust. So we're going to do game fare bingo. And if the game fair people are listening, it's not your trademarked game Fair, it's a different game fare.
Speaker 1: So could we call it generic outdoor field Sports and Farming show bingo?
Speaker 2: Standing in a field next to Ragley Hall bingo? So, George, you came up with a list after one of our episodes last year for game Fair a game Fair bingo card. Can you remember what was on it.
Speaker 1: Vaguely. It included squares that had your face and Nigas's face and Callum's face, and I think there was one that said something like king Red trousers.
Speaker 2: Yes, dog in a pram, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Dog in a pram. There was another one that said being Mustard trousers.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: I can't really. I think it was a sixteen square grid and I don't think I can reel off all sixteen of them, but you get the vibe.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So what we propose to do this year is we'll have a maybe I can get it together for the end of this week. We'll see if it's in the show notes for this episode I did. If not, then there's there'll be something next week or the week after that will have something a list there for you to buy a game card from this. There'll be several different versions. There'll be a round about a hound each and the money goes the game Wildlife Conservancy Trust. You can buy as many as you wish, but the idea will be that you go round with your Bingo card and you can see what you can spot. We also want suggestions from the audience and there will be a link for this in the show notes to what goes on those bingo cards. In fact, I've just realized the linear nature of time. I need your suggestions, don't I before I make the bingo cards. So yes, there we go. That's how time works, Richard's past, present, and future, right.
Speaker 3: I mean I do sometimes question if you can understand that, but you know, let's carry on.
Speaker 2: I exist in four dimensional time anyway. So yeah, we want your suggestions, so send them into the link that's in the show notes for this episode and send them to producer Amy. Just things like web trousers, mustard trousers, dog in a pram vinni.
Speaker 1: Jo full camo, full tweed, white jeans, stag do hendu, oh yeah boy, hats yeah, a teal for Dora.
Speaker 2: Well that's Amy.
Speaker 3: Actually, I was gonna say.
Speaker 2: Pith helmet, Yes, very good one, that kind of thing. So we want your suggestions please, And.
Speaker 1: This is just for fun. So there's no prize, is that right?
Speaker 2: Erm, yes, because a prize would have required organization then putting out funding for it. The prize is that the gw CT gets some money and we all have some fun.
Speaker 1: Yes, But I do think like it would be quite fun for people to be able to share their success. Have you thought that's a very good idea. So I was thinking about this, but Amy, if you got an idea before I jump in.
Speaker 3: Mine was very simple, is that they can tag country slide Pod on social media with a picture of their card if they want to share it that way.
Speaker 1: I think one step further to that, which is in order to be declared as to having achieved bingo, which, now I say that out loud sounds wrong.
Speaker 2: Take it back, odd on, darling. We're very nearly at bingo.
Speaker 1: Anyway. You have to take a picture of the of the item in question for.
Speaker 2: It to count.
Speaker 3: Yes, ah, yeah.
Speaker 1: So then you upload your pictures and so I feel like on Friday or Saturday at the game fair, my phone is going to explode the moment I get back into signal with tags women.
Speaker 2: In Mike miniskirts and things like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Fine, algorithm is going to be all over the place.
Speaker 2: It already is from the what you people send to me.
Speaker 3: Moving on, so game fair bingo, Yes.
Speaker 2: We'll announce it via our social media properly with all the links when it's ready to buy, but that will be in the next week or two. We won't make any money from this. Apart from the payment process of fees, everything or gain go to the Gable Wildlife Conservacy Trust, who I'm sure are over the moon to find out they're being tied to this event.
Speaker 1: In this way, funding is funding exactly exactly.
Speaker 2: You can take the check without having to approve the method by which is arrived.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, okay, that's our exception. We're sticking with it.
Speaker 2: Yes, for our sake of our lawyers. But there we go. So that is the country Slide game fare bingo. Will you be encouraging the guns on Pegs audience to engage in this?
Speaker 1: Yes, I think I will. I We're sort of recording a bit out of whack at the moment because well, complicated reasons, but mainly because I'm going on holiday next week, so I need to work out in which episode I need to say this so that it goes out just before It might be the one I'm recording tomorrow, but I'm not sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so that you'll have to mention a link that does not exist yet in the episode that recording tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Which will go out when the link does exist.
Speaker 2: Yes, fantastic world on everyone.
Speaker 1: Yes, that delinearature of time is causing problems.
Speaker 2: Again, I often find it does in my life. I've thought of an idea after it should have happened, and then I make the preparations for something that doesn't exist yet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that checks out.
Speaker 2: So, speaking of which, the Project X. Yes, so we're all going to be very cagey about talking about this for various reasons, but we have hinted at it in the past. This is this is not the thing that Callums can't talk about yet. That's a completely different thing. We'll like Calum talk about that on his own. Maybe.
Speaker 3: Yeah, maybe that's definitely not a project either.
Speaker 2: No, make a time code note on that, Amy in case I have to remove it later for legal reasons.
Speaker 3: Uh huh.
Speaker 2: So Project X. You may remember regular listeners. Way back in I think it was February of this year, I hurriedly announced that we're going to be doing some extra shows in a sort of addition to Countryslide, where they will be things like how the Countryside Works, which will feature the melodious tones of George Brown off Off Skry Pound and guns on Pegs.
Speaker 1: It will Now it should be added that it's not going to be me that's doing the explaining there as we've already established I have not qualified to explain how farming works, for example.
Speaker 2: Now that's that's the extra content, isn't it. George has a stab at it before someone's explained it to him.
Speaker 1: That's actually quite a good idea. It's a very good idea, George.
Speaker 3: Just to keep that one under our hats.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I'm really looking forward. It's going to be fun.
Speaker 2: And we've also got the Land Girls podcast, which is going to.
Speaker 3: Be Amy Tis Tis. I'm really looking forward to that one as well. Doing lots of interviews to find out all about what what other different careers in conservation, working on the land, all these kind of things that are happening around the UK mostly and talking to the women who were who are in those roles finding out more about them.
Speaker 2: There was an element of finding people who genuinely work in conservation and have been working in it for a while or are forging a career there, not just on social media, not just doing it performatively for Instagram and things like that. I'd be very careful.
Speaker 3: No, But essentially it's not going to be names that you have heard of necessarily, but they're going to be people who know what they're doing, and they're very good at it.
Speaker 1: Yes, I think that the really interesting thing there is the sort of practition in the nature of it, because the social media image of the countryside is particularly where women is concerned, is possibly not focused on people who are actually out there, you know, to borrow Patrick Albrace's rays getting mud under the fingernails so often. It tends to be more of a sort of lifestyle approach to it rather than the actually getting your hands dirty and doing things.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think it's going to be a really really great, great podcast that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's we're hopefully trying to subvert the algorithm a little bit in doing that as well, because it's quite easy for us chaps to do that kind of thing, because we can just let ourselves go and be any handed son of the soil with a whilst not really caring about our appearance unless you're Harry Hutchinson, which case you have to be absolutely ripped.
Speaker 1: Apparently. I have wondered whether this is where I've been going wrong all this time.
Speaker 2: Well, as I said on the after show the other week, you know, I have landed a partner. Now I never have to worry about my appearance or attractiveness to women.
Speaker 1: Ever, again, if somebody said to you that country Slide would increase its listenership tenfold, if you were suddenly absolutely stacked, would that change your view?
Speaker 2: I mean it would sort of remove the sideer and past these from my diet, which genetically I'm predisposed towards. I don't know, maybe, but even when I was spectacularly fit, I was still broadly this shape. I'm just a weird free of genetics. I'm not sure it's actually possible. Whereas the ripped George Brown, sort of when Guy Adams from Scribe Pound of the Daily Mail, Yes, got absolutely ripped the men's fitness, and he said it wasn't that hard, which is really annoying.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't think I believe him. He told me what that required, and it sounded very hard, not as hard.
Speaker 2: As his abs.
Speaker 3: No, it sounds like it takes a lot of discipline to get to that level, and also a removing of many of life's joys from your life.
Speaker 1: Well, and also, in Guy Adams's case, to be on the cover of ment healthy had to have a full torso wax.
Speaker 2: Oh No, I think in my case that would be sort of a fourth road. Bridge kind of issue, the finish waxing one end coming back at the other, so back on project X, which is not benefficient. Well, I think that's going to be the case. This is not a instead of Country Slide. Country Slide will continue and will continue in the same, possibly slightly career steering the way that it has already, and but we'll be adding on stuff either side of its basically there, with more of the voices that you may already know and love from other audio projects and some new ones you haven't got a chance to know yet. Well, that sounded old professional, but I ruined it by saying that.
Speaker 1: I think one should always undercut moments of professionalism with that sort of thing.
Speaker 2: As you know, Callum's thing about is like offering a treat to a dog. He's got his teeth, his teeth are slightly on show, his lips are slightly pulled back. It's never quite by taking it in the way it was meant. That's like us with professionalism. We could get there, but we're.
Speaker 3: Choosing not to.
Speaker 1: I think it's actually quite a good point though, because you know, I think one of the things that we all agree on is that the a level of incompetence and chaos is sort of part of the part of the vibe to this. You know, we want to take how the countryside works. For example, you know, I'm going to talk to people who really do know what we'd have, whatever aspect of the countryside it is that we're talking about. I'm going to be talking to proper experts, but there's going to be a degree of misunderstanding and and attempting to translate things for the layman. I suppose.
Speaker 2: I think there's a there's an issue with every kind of media, but any kind of niche media and which there is a rural media world. Either it ends up being restrained by some external forces, whether that's commercial, whether it's you know, who your advertisers are, who your funders are, those kind of things, or it's the repetition of what you hear other people doing, and there's a sort of a house style that develops within that niche. We want to keep going in the way we have done, which is maybe reflect more of what we see on the ground and the conversations we have on the ground and those kind of things, rather than what you you know, you're tuning in. Let's hear about the countryside. Oh that sounds nothing like me being on the phone to Nick or Matthew or whatever.
Speaker 1: Yes, And I think there's the other aspect to it as well, which is, you know, if you take farming as an example, one, farming is a massive sort of catch all term for everything from you know, growing a little bit of stood for Coleman's to vast you know, industrial milking operations and this sort of stuff. So it's sort of hard to hard to put it all in one category in one sense. But also when you're talking about it, you can either talk about it in terms for you know, somebody who lives in Clapham. Actually Clapham was the wrong choice, you know, someone who lives in you know, some some suburbs somewhere, and you know, but the closest they get to say a cow is you know, the picture of one on the bottle of milk they buy from Tesco's. Or there's the sort of expert farmer audience who are expected to know what all of the acronyms and all that sort of thing means. But actually, you know, I can read a sheep farming article and it might as well be in French, but I do know my way roughly around cereal farming, because that's what we do here. So I guess the idea is to talk to an engaged countryside audience about things that might be new to them or that where their level of understanding is not so great, and trying to find that balance in there, if that makes sense.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's also preconceptions that come with all of these things that if you're in dairy farming, to you, you know what farming is, and you also have a preconception about what the public thinks about you, and that might come from the comments on social media and under an article about farming, or what somebody has replied to your post about your farm shop with or something like that. So there's everyone I think can benefit from seeing what other people think about their world, as well as finding out how somebody doing something that is basically the different flavor of what you do, you know that they have a different preconception differ view of that world entirely.
Speaker 1: Yes, and we can go incredibly granularately with this as well. But again because you know, dairy farming in East Anglia is a pretty different beast to dairy farming in Wales just by virtue of the landscape. You know, it comes with its own set of challenges and ways of doing things.
Speaker 2: Within these new shows we're hoping to bring as we bring in some things that we've already done. So Amy and I run Wild Food People Wildfoodpeople dot co dot uk. It's where you can find our foraging courses. Somewhere in July, all of those public foraging courses are going to move over to our social enterprise, to the CIC Community Interest Company that we set up just about eighteen months or so ago, so that they can benefit that because they all take place in landscapes that we manage under that social enterprise anyway, So it makes sense. That means that the Wild Food People podcasts, which has been I think the last one we put out was June last year with John.
Speaker 3: Mailer been on a hiatus, hasn't it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that will be coming back, and that will be coming back covering all aspects of wild food, whether that's foraging, hunting, fishing, preparation of food, the issues affecting conservation and gathering food from the wild, as well as some of the outdoor cooking and wilder ingredients, even if they are slightly on the farm side of things as well, which again I think you'll be having some input into George with your setting fire to animals on coals on charcoal.
Speaker 1: Yes, this is one of my principal hobbies at this time of year, is setting fire to lumps of wood and then subsequently using those to set fire to various different sizes of bits of animal or fish. Actually, come to.
Speaker 2: Take it, explain cooking badly?
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, well exactly this is what I do, is I cook badly. And again, I think this comes back to what we were talking about with the you know, the levels of incompetence, because I'm enthusiastic, but I'm not an expert at these things. And I think that we'll all be learning from one another on this side of things.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And I like this idea of continual learning journeys because well, anytime you get to the point of thinking, right, I know everything now, I don't need to learn anymore, something will swing in from left field and swipe you across your across your face with a new lesson, won't it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I think that there's this sort of curiosity as well. If you take the sort of fire cooking thing, live fire cooking thing, you know, you maybe start off with something fairly straightforward, like a steak, but it's not long if you're like me at any rate, before you're starting to think things like I wonder if I can asado an entire road deer, And incidentally, I can tell you the answer is yes, you can, but it's not a tremendous idea.
Speaker 2: Don't plan to do many other things that day as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it takes a while. It's not the best way to cook a deer. That's my lesson that I learned on that one.
Speaker 2: But that's to be perfectly honest. The world food people element of this is the one I'm most excited about because get to expand into so many issues and so many areas. Because being able to cook something wild over and open fire in a place where it is lawful and appropriate to have that fire, there are so many steps to get there. It's like this thing about a bacon cheeseburger is one of the most technologically advanced things in human civilization because of all the stuff you have to have to be able to make that bread, have the lettuce there at the same time as bacon, at the same time as a burger, have cheese that won't go off it's this huge technological development. There's this sort of skill development, skill acquisition layer you need to have to be able to cook over and open fire well in the outdoors.
Speaker 1: Yes, you're absolutely right. It's it's new skills all the way down, isn't it, From acquiring the thing that you're going to cook, to preparing it, to making the fire, managing the fire, you know, different cooking techniques and so on and so forth. It's almost infinite how deep you can go into it.
Speaker 3: It is, and there's there's so so much to learn with that, and if you're go into smoking and and all of that side of it as well, and it's just there's always that area where chemistry starts overlapping with it as well, and it's whether it's more art or science. And yeah, yes, fascinating.
Speaker 1: I think that's another really good point, which is that there's going to be lots of opportunities for bodgery in this, particularly in the on the cooking side of things, because another thing that I'm quite a fan of is overly elaborate cooking apparatus. You know, I've always wanted a cold smoker that's made out of you know, a bit of an old hoover and a metal shoe box and a I don't even know what a metal shoe box is, but you know that sort of thing.
Speaker 2: When I first met you, one of the first things you asked me was, have you ever made a water wheel powered spit to go over a fire?
Speaker 1: Exactly that kind of thing, you know. Is it necessary?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: Does it really achieve anything? Very much? Also no? Will it work? Probably not? I think the fun is in the trying.
Speaker 2: We also need somewhere with running water where we can light the fire. Yes, summer, maybe not, this is an autumn project. Maybe yes.
Speaker 1: Well, I suppose that if we do the cookery in the wetter months, it reduces the probability of us setting vide to the landscape as well, which is probably quite a good message to put out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yes, if our first if our first press release is sorry, we've set far out half of Hampshire.
Speaker 1: I think episode one of Wild Food People disposable barbecue somewhere in the North Pennines on a grouse more.
Speaker 3: Ycally locally sourced poultry.
Speaker 2: Well that's the thing. Well, they used to do the race, didn't they to visit the savoy who used trying to get the first grouse of the season, so.
Speaker 1: I think they still do that. You know, I think you can. You could. There's some places that sort of pride themselves on being able to serve you grouse on the twelfth in London.
Speaker 2: So as red grouse are the game bird that is wild really, you know, it's the most shot in the UK that is has to be a wild source. You could shorten that chain quite substantially by having a disposable barbecue on the edge of the grouse bird. So you shoot a grouse, the first grouse of the season, try and nail it onto the barbecue straight away.
Speaker 1: Or you know, have your loaders stand there with a long polled landing net.
Speaker 2: Or a skill or a GAF or something. He's sort of trying to drag it up the ball and towards you. Why is it you've not had me back on my guns on Pegs podcast, So I think that's a good place to leave the main show for now. But as a summary, we want your suggestions for things that will be on the game fare Bingo CUD and then they'll be available for purchase prior to the game fare, with all proceeds going to the Game of Wildlife Conservancy. Trust. Is it Conservation Trust and they're not Conservancy.
Speaker 1: It is the Game and Wildlife Conservation Trust.
Speaker 2: Yes, hasn't been Conservancy Trust for since about nineteen seventy four or something ninety something. I don't know, I should know, but g WCT you know what they do. Wonderful things are great partridges. Then we also have our Project X, which will be landing hopefully sometime just after the Game Fair in thereabouts, which will feature all this, well the start of all this wonderful new content and a new look, but in country Slide and the voices you love won't be going anywhere. How you feel about that is down to you. That might be a relief, it might just be sort of a portent of doom coming well just for the rest of your life really, because we're not going anywhere. Have I missed anything?
Speaker 1: I think that's everything. I think.
Speaker 2: M hm. So onto the after show. Goodbye everyone, Bye bye,