Speaker 1: This show is produced and hosted by Mark Webber. The show is sponsored by G three Aparo. The views expressed in the following program are those of the sponsor and not necessarily the opinion of seven ten wor or iHeartMedia. Who is Mark Weber. He's a self made business executive here to help you find your success from the New York City projects to the Avenue Montaigne in Paris. His global success story in the luxury world of fashion is inspirational. He's gone from clerk to CEO twice. Mark is classic proof that the American dream is alive. And well, here's your host of Always in Fashion, Mark Weber.
Speaker 2: Mark Weber, this is Thanksgiving week. I thought about doing a traditional Thanksgiving show, but I'm not a traditional guy, and I thought I'd mix it up a bit. After all, Always in Fashion is an original content show. We're not politics, We're not news and weather, we're not sports. We don't guess. It's always business. That's what the theme of the show is when you really come down to it. But after all is said and done, were evaluated by Spotify Apple. iHeartMedia is cultural and social or cultural and lifestyle, and I often think about where the next idea would come from. It could have been Thanksgiving and a little touch on that a bit. But if anyone should ever ask where do I come up with the ideas for the show, the answer is anywhere. The other day I happen to catch one of my favorite movies, The Firm, with Tom Cruise. Tom Cruise plays a lawyer, Mitch mcdeer. He gets his first job working for a company, but he finds that the firm's largest client is the mob. And once that happened, he's approached by the FBI, who inform him that he's working with the mob and if he doesn't help them capture the people that are involved in this scheme or in other words, work as a rat or in other words, work as an informant, he's going to lose license, go to jail. Who knows what spoiler alert. Great movie. He protects his client, the Morola family, he brings the firm to justice, and there's a happy ending all around. The key for me, there is there's a scene, as there often is in movies, that really capture my attention, and this is in the movie. At one point when Tom Cruise recognizes the way to bring down the firm is with the law. He's discovering that there's mail fraud and mail fraud because the clients are building, because the clients are being built incorrectly through the mail. It becomes a federal case and each of the members of the firm, they're subject to rico indictments. And in spite of the FBI all over him trying to catch through the mob, in spite of all the threats and everything, he's going down. He uses the slow in its simplest element, mail fraud because these bills were mailed. It sounds simple. But there's my favorite scene is when at one point he answer this over the FBI ah and hent Torrance, who's crazy and pissed off. This is what you give me, mail fraud And he doesn't realize the extent of what the problem would be and how we've been able to arrest everyone and close down the firm. He asked Tom Cruise, how did you come up with mail fraud? And Tom Cruise advises him, you forced me to think about the law again, and this was on the bar exam. You made me think about the law. Seeing that scene and thinking about the movie, I asked myself, how do I come up with ideas for the show. How do I decide to be on the radio? And I tell you over and over. After a course of many years listening to talk radio, I realized that I have a lot of things to say in writing my book. I should point out that recently one of our listeners, a friend of mine named Michael, who wrote me to ask me to send a copy to him. He said he had a copy. He always reads it, he always looks at it for ideas and lessons, and he asked me to autograph. I told him i'd send him a new copy, but he insisted that he send me the one that he's had from day one, which he bought and he would really appreciate I would signing and return it to him. So he did. He sent me an envelope. Hessyst that I did, and I did. When I thought about the book and I took a look at it, I looked at the back page where it indicated there were three major players and gave comments on the book. One of them referred to the book Gilbert Harrison, friend of mine, investment banker. And there is in the book a chapter call Just in case you weren't paying attention, Gilbert Harrison's exact quote about the book was a fascinating tale, with the most intriguing chapter featuring Weber's forty three lessons for success. Anyone who's considering becoming a success should read those chapters. So I opened the book that wasn't my bar exam, but was the answer. He forced me to think about my career again, and boom, our show, Our evening was born with forty three lessons. These lessons that really defined my career. Don't get crazy. By the way, there's not enough time to cover all of them today. I can't do forty three lessons. But certain events and circumstances did happen along the way that I either learned from or created case studies of people. You know, I don't particularly like humans, but they're life lessons, business lessons. So I figured it's Thanksgiving weekend and me rediscovering my book. I have so much to be grateful for considering I wasn't supposed to have this career. I grew up in the city projects, I had no advantages. I knew nothing about anything. I'm lucky I went to college. Lucky I found, more importantly than anything else, when I started working I recognized opportunity. It was tangible, but there's something surrounding me, and I realized when I saw this company I was involved. I had a chance to be successful. Yes, I could talk about the lessons. I could talk about many things, family, friends, those things that mean so much, but in that this is a business show, and yes it touches on cultural lifestyle. I would thought I would take an opportunity to say thanks to the lessons that I learned, then, perhaps even more importantly, perhaps sharing at the end of this hour, you'll be grateful for sticking around and listening. Maybe you'll have a few life lessons of your own having heard the show tonight. With that in mind, I'm grateful more than anything tonight to have my lawyer, my co host, and Jesse Webber talking career lessons or the actual title of the show is thanks for the memories, because they're all great memories. Hey, Jess, got any career lessons?
Speaker 3: You mentioned one of my favorite movies, The Firm. I think it was actually one of the reasons I decided to go to law school. That and a Few Good Men. Those were the two Tom Cruise Legal movies. By the way, False advertising, Okay, let me be clear, that's not actually what being a lawyer is like. They kind of it's same thing with suits. They make it look so much glamorous than it is. Although he did work a ton in the firm, But the law I remembered.
Speaker 4: I love it. I love the law. Thought it was great. Love law school.
Speaker 3: Did great in law school, But my gosh, practicing it's a night It's a nightmare. I hated practicing corporate law and intellectual property loves.
Speaker 4: I look learned a lot of lessons, learned from.
Speaker 3: Great people, but that practice is very, very tough and daunting, and as often the case may be.
Speaker 2: I got to tell you something. You know, when I grew up in my roles and I work with corporate attorneys sitting on the board solving problems with us, they were having great times and they were talking about strategy, and you know, they had people working for them to do the dirty works. So you weren't there yet.
Speaker 3: Wait a minute, were these outside lawyers or were they your general counsel?
Speaker 2: Uh? Outside lawyers?
Speaker 3: Oh, that's surprising because usually they hate their lives. But in house counsel loved their positions anyway, So I wasn't for me I knew it wasn't going to be for me.
Speaker 4: I knew that wasn't going to be the next thirty forty years of my life.
Speaker 3: So, as often the case may be, it's who you know and through your contacts in radio, we were introduced to tams and Vidal. If you don't who Tamsin is, first of all, shame on you, because she's one of the anchors and Picks eleven and TAM's in was always in the news business and we met with her and she was so kind and I said, listen, I want to be on TV.
Speaker 4: I want to be a host, I want to host game shows.
Speaker 3: I want to be like the next Ryan Seacrest, I want to be an anchor, all these different things.
Speaker 4: And she says, what WHOA.
Speaker 3: You need to focus You need to focus on what your skills are, and you need to focus on what you can do. What's the easiest way for you to get into media. The easiest way is you're an attorney. You should go on television and be a legal analyst. That is a way to break through. And I said, wow, that's a really good idea. And I'll never forget the first thing that I did. One of the very first things I did was Fox News because I and I tell you, I've never been more nervous in my life being on Fox News. And I was a legal analyst for a session for a Hit. And from there, I started doing CNN, CBS, I did Crime Watch Daily with Chris Hansen.
Speaker 4: I did all these different shows.
Speaker 3: And as you're doing that and you're meeting different lawyers, you're meeting different people in media. I came to find out that Dan Abrams from ABC News was starting a company called law News. It's now law on Crime, and they were doing live trial coverage, and so I got on there as a guest. I made a few guest appearances as a legal analyst, and then I said, are you looking for a host? I asked the president, you're looking for a host, and she said, yeah, I want to audition. I auditioned, I got the part. One thing led to another. I became their permanent host for five years, hosting that morning show Monday through Friday, and hosting led into reporting, it led into a podcast, it led into a true crime documentary show. I went into News Nation, I went into Sirius, and one thing led into another, and I will tell you you have no idea what direction your career will go. All I can tell you is you have to figure out what you like. You have to figure out what your skill set is, and you just have to do a great job. And when you do a great job, you never know what else can happen, what else can happen? And look, luck is a luck. You have to have luck, of course, and we all need help. It's not bad thing to ask for people for help. To also ask people for contacts. I think that's a really important thing. And look, her advice. Hamsen's advice changed everything for me. I'm incredibly grateful for her. It was a career change that made me very, very happy. Work doesn't work anymore. I counted the hours, the minutes at my law firm until I could leave, and sometimes I couldn't leave. But now I'm working more than I've ever worked in my life, early mornings, late nights, weekends, holidays.
Speaker 4: But I love it. And so I'm very lucky in that sense. And you know you have a line. You have a line that I think is so apropos.
Speaker 3: You said, once the company pays me for my head, I've thrown in my heart for free. That's how I feel so now let me ask you the same question harder head.
Speaker 2: What a great question? What a great question. Look, I spent thirty years of my career running major corporations, and I have to tell you every step of the way, I was energized. Every step of the way, I was excited. I had so many ups and downs and so many disappointments, so I can't tell you I enjoyed everything along the way. Many times I was miserable. Many times someone else got the job I wanted. But there's a great lesson there. If you don't get the job you want, you have two choices to mope, to complain, to leave the company, to behave appropriately, or understand that it's not personal. For whatever the reasons are. The people that made this election believe that someone else was more qualified for you than you were at that time. I learned to be the happiest I could be when I was disappointed. I learned to work harder, to work smarter, and to put aside by disappointment, and it really really helped. That's a very important lesson. On a show I want to talk about lessons, but I would tell you that the radio became so important to me that today, it's all about the heart. I'm here for the heart. I love it. I will tell you it is harder to do this show then manage a nine billion dollar company. Now I know when I say that, no.
Speaker 4: Way, no way, yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: But the difference is really once you manage a company, Once you learn how to manage a company, you know everything to do. You know all the rules, all the tricks, all the games, all the technical information that you need to get the job done. If somebody cancels merchandise, you know what to say. Somebody wants to increase their order, but you have to fly it. You'll make less money. You know what to do whatever comes up. You're anticipated the board questions, when you're looking at your numbers, you know when you're doing well. You know when you have things to fix. It's a matter of training. It's like Olympic athletes. You have to watch these people in gymnastics, for example. How do they do the things they do? How do they do those floor exercise? How do they do the high meat, how do they do whatever? That thing is the bench they walk across that's four inches. It's crazy. No one in this world should be able to do that, but they can do it because they've practiced and practiced and practiced. So in corporate life, I had done it for so long it was became easy. There was an answer for everything. Radio podcasts totally different. It is Saturday night, Sunday night, this show is on. I wake up Monday morning. I have no idea what next week's show is. Tuesday night, idea, Wednesday, no idea. I'm looking something. Hit me please. And then not only do I have to get an idea out of the sky, something luckily happens, I have to ask myself, how is this relevant? How do we turn it into something that's going to be interesting. How do we give the listeners you out there, something that you could remember, that you could turn to, that you could use. One of my favorite things on the radio. Even the the program manager of War has told me that he's been listening to my show. And there are circumstances when he gets home to have his dinner, he's in the driveway listening to the show and it hasn't ended yet, and he texts his wife, I can't come in right now. I have to finish this. I am amazed at what I'm listening to. And he listens to the show. So those things that happened to me really mean a lot to me. And it's turned out that radio is not for the money. I have worked long enough not to have to think about money. It's not for it's not other than what it does for me in my heart. It makes me feel good to know that I can do this, that I have listened to enjoy what we have to say. And while I'm not a big guy and having to give back, I could care less about anyone. But the reality is when I talk my lessons and I know they're going to help someone, and I know know what he thought about it before, I love it and it all means so much to me now before we leave. Has that for an answer, Jess, good answer.
Speaker 4: It's a good answer.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: Having said that, before we leave, it's time to talk Trump. What's going on with him?
Speaker 4: Big thing this week? His uh Remember the we talked about this last time we were on the show.
Speaker 3: Remember I told you that the prosecutor who's been going after him on the federal cases will he officially moved to dismiss the case against Donald Trump. He's gonna throw it out. That's that's something we expected was gonna happen. It's a big win for Donald Trump. I can't imagine that there would be any situation where it revives itself currently, so it's one less headache for him to think about.
Speaker 2: That's great, let's get on with it. I'm doing the Trump Well.
Speaker 4: Let's well, well, let's be clear.
Speaker 3: The prosecutor didn't dismiss it for the merits. He said he could have proved the case. He said that he still thinks Donald Trump committed Yeah, yeah, yeah, but because but because he's the president of the United States, he has no choice but to drop it.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, that's good. Having said that, tonight's show, there's something to be grateful. Tonight's show is part thankful and tonight's show has a lot to do with something called the forty three Lessons. Well, take a break, we'll be back in a minute.
Speaker 1: Always in fashion.
Speaker 2: As one of the world's most celebrated fashion designers, Carl Lagafeld was renowned for his aspirational and cutting edge approach to style. His unique vision of Parisian shit comes to America through Car Lagofeld Paris. He has women's collections, men's collections, ready to wear, accessory, shoes, and bags. The fashion house Carlagofeld also offers a range of watches, I wear and premium fragrances. You can explore the car Lagofl collection at car Lagofelparis dot com. But it's more than that. I have, for one, love to shop. I love going around and seeing what's happening and what catches my attention, what would make me feel good to wear now. I don't wear the women's wear obviously, but I can appreciate it and they look amazing. If you want to look right, you want to have clothes that fits you well. You want to look like you're wearing something that's very expensive, that's exclusive for you and yours. You can find it at very affordable prices at Macy's Orcarlagofel dot com Paris. The women's ready to wear fashion is extraordinary, as well as the handbigs and the shoes. I, for one wear men's clothes, unlike my appreciation of women's clothes. I'm a modern guy. I want to look current. I want to look the way I want to feel. I go out at night, I'm in black and Carlagafel is my buddy. Clos are great, they fit great, and they have little tweaks and touches, whether it's a stripe on the sleeve or button at the neck or on the shoulder. There's a lot of details that go into Carlagafel because he's always been, he always had been one of the world's great designers, and this legacy and goes on and on. I can't speak enough about it except to say to you, you want to feel good about yourself. You want to know that you're dressing properly. You want to clothes that fits you well. Carl Lagafeld Paris at Macy's Orcarl Lagafel dot com and a lifetime of my life career building the Van uesen Brand, and I am so pleased that they're back with us now talking about suits. Men were dressing up again, and it's become cool to wear a suit. Suits can be won on multiple occasions, in multiple ways. You could wear a suit formally to go out at night or to an event. You wear a suit to the office with or without a tie. If you look closely, now fashion trends, suits are being worn with turtlenecks or mark next. The choices are endless and every one of them looks right you could really really look the part. I believe that packaging yourself is as important as the products you package, and wearing a suit is one of those things that make men look their best. Venues In invented a new idea. It's called the cool Flex suit. It's been engineered with stretch technology, giving you the most comfortable fit and mobility. It's wrinkle resistant fabric, it's cool moisture wiki makes it perfect for all occasions. As we discussed just now, this new style of looking sharp while feeling cool and comfortable is amazing, and I'm so excited that the van Using company is involved in this new technology and is embracing the whole idea of dressing up. Let's not forget van Using made it's name with dress shirts. It's only proper that the suit business follows strongly in its way. You can find van Ues and cool Flex Men's stretch suits at jcpenny are online at jcpenny dot com. Guys, they're great. You should go look at them.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to Always in Fashion.
Speaker 4: Here's your host, Mark Webber.
Speaker 2: Even though it's Thanksgiving weekend, I'm not doing a Thanksgiving show. Hi, I would say to you, it's kind of mixed. This is about lessons learned, a lot of great memories. But in the end, it's not Thanksgiving. But I am thankful, and there are certain things that I want to talk about that are a little different than most Thanksgiving shows would be. If we were to do one right now, I wanted to talk about greatest inventions. I want to talk about the greatest inventions because they have to be thankful for them. Now. I know for a fact what the world thinks is the greatest invention. You're ready, do you know what it is?
Speaker 4: Jesse the cell phone?
Speaker 2: Haha? Will come to that. No, the greatest invention considered by all the scientists and the people in the know are the following I'll read it. The wheel. The wheel can be considered mankind's most important invention, the utility of which it's still applied in multiple spheres of our daily life. While most other inventions have been derived from nature itself, the wheel is one hundred percent of product of human invention. If you think back to the chariots in the old days, there's not a machine that doesn't have a wheel. This is not a travel vehicle that doesn't have a wheel. The wheel is the greatest invention. Having said it, there are modern day inventions that you know are so important. So let's talk about that, Jesse, while we're talking about a different view of Thanksgiving. What do you think are the most important modern day inventions?
Speaker 1: And what?
Speaker 3: Look I as I say this, because I know this is the most important invention, but I hate it.
Speaker 4: The cell phone.
Speaker 3: It's in many ways, nothing has revolutionized our life more in the last twenty years. Nothing nothing, and their access to information, What it's done for your life, your ability to communicate with people, how it's helped your career, everything. But at the same time, everybody's glued to their phones.
Speaker 4: No one's in the moment anymore.
Speaker 3: So many people are addicted to social media. They've lost their ability to communicate. So it's one of those inventions that I if it went away tomorrow, I don't even know how our society would function. But b it's it's it's not my favorite thing that's been invented.
Speaker 2: Would agree. Three times in the last month, I forgot to take my phone with me when I went out to dinner. I was lost. I was lost. I was so unhappy. Twice I went back to the house because I wasn't too far away to pick up the phone. What do you do there sitting look around nobody to talk to. I mean it was crazy that it's like a vast emptiness. You could feel it like in a pit of your stomach. So, yeah, cell phone is incredibly important. But you know, the predecessor to the cell phone was the printing press. People again will tell you that the printing press was one of the most important inventions that ever back in the cowboy days. There's a method for people to communicate. You know, when you watch those movies, you see the sign wanted and all these things, so they have that. There's another one we don't think about. We take for granted the incandescent light bulb. You imagine if we're still lighting the world with candles.
Speaker 4: Yeah, electricity, Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: It's amazing, amazing. Tell me, Jesse, give me an invention. You can't live.
Speaker 4: Without bottled water. Does anybody think about bottle water? Think about that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, the bottles are poisonous.
Speaker 3: After those reports that plastic is like the worst thing ever for you, there's so many glass bottles that are circulating.
Speaker 4: Now, what about you, what do you think is a good invention?
Speaker 2: HM? For me? If you're asking me what's important to me, I would tell you one of the most important inventions is heating and air conditioning.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's fair, believe it.
Speaker 2: Or I grew up at a building when I was really young in the city projects that wasn't wired for air conditioning. Can you believe it? Because the tenants weren't paying, they didn't fill it up with air conditioning events. It was a misery. It was a misery in the summer. Oh crazy, So air conditioning.
Speaker 4: You know, it's yeah, you know, it's an amazing invention. The toilet not a good society.
Speaker 2: Let me tell you, well to the Beatles, why don't you do it in the road. Yeah, that's a really great invention, you know, no question about it. All right. Now it's your turn. What do you have out there that you can't live without that we take for granted.
Speaker 4: A blow dryer?
Speaker 2: I need it, I need it. It's important.
Speaker 4: What about you?
Speaker 2: Oh you come back to me. Huh hmmm. I haven't given this my thought. I'm ready to talk on the radio, and I haven't given enough thought. Well, of course, the automobile. Where would we be without an automobile? I mean, it's changed the world in which we live, and I love cars. I love what they represent and really made the world smaller. Before we finish, we're going to talk about I got a great question for you. I'm not ready to talk about it. Yes, I'll give you a chance to think. What hasn't been invented that you want to be invented? Good question?
Speaker 3: But yet I think, I mean, when you think about it, the airplane. What an invention to get across the country?
Speaker 4: When what what do we do?
Speaker 3: Back in the day, we were on ships that took months to get from A to B. It's amazing the airplane. And now I've seen I've seen reports that they're trying to build a hypersonic airplane that could take you to New York to London in an hour.
Speaker 4: I don't know if that'll happen.
Speaker 2: But well, it's interesting you mentioned that because the part of the show that's Thanksgiving, let's say thanks to travel, and let's say thank you to the airplane. But I have to say, when it comes to the airplane, it has not been very good for me politically. I've had a lot of political problems at places I worked because of the airplane.
Speaker 4: Wait, what do you mean politically.
Speaker 2: Okay, So you mentioned hypersonic plights. I used to travel the Concord all the time. One time, the first time, my boss invites me to go to London on the Concorde and he says to me, listen, we're going to leave in the morning. We have meeting in the afternoon, and then we're having dinner. So we're going to take the concorder. Allows us to get there and we'll be able to do everything. It still be the same day. We'll go home. Tomorrow, we'll be home. We wouldn't even miss New York. But it is amazing. So I said, great. So I said to myself, you know, I'm going to have to change my clothes. I'm going to bring one suitcase. I bring a suitcase and I decide to check it. Never thought twice about it. It's concord, small plane. Whatever. We land in London, my boss starts getting off the plane. He goes upstairs. You can't the concord the way it was set up. The bins overhead were so small you couldn't put anything in but a briefcase. But when you walked on the plane, the steward or the stewardess would or the flight attend or whatever's the correct political way to say it now, would take your bag, and there was a section for storage on the plane. I didn't know this. I packed my bag. So he takes this thing and he starts to walk. I said, I checked my bag, and in slow motion he was walking in front of me. He turns around and makes this look on his face. What did you say to me? I checked my bag? He said, are you a mutant? We took the concord. What are you checking a bag for? You know how to check your bag. We want to get out of you. I can't believe you check a bag. I can't believe I'm traveling with an amateur. As it turns out, my bag was the last one off the plane. It took twenty five minutes to get the bag. I was so embarrassed in my life that they never ended. We got in the car, finally checked your bag.
Speaker 4: What are you?
Speaker 2: Who are you? Why am I traveling with you? If you don't know that you don't check a bag on that concord. So that's one example of political problems.
Speaker 4: You have more than one political example of traveling.
Speaker 2: Oh, my goodness, my goodness, my goodness. The next one takes place in the Philippines. You ever been to the Philippines.
Speaker 4: I have not. I've been to Japan, I've been to Hong Kong, never the Philippines.
Speaker 2: I had never been to the Philippines either. And I was in Asia. I was working, you know, I said in my book again mentioned the book always in fashion. Yul should buy it, you should read it. But I'm not really hawking books, nor do I care if you buy it. Stay stupid your whole lives. Anyway, get my book, You'll be very thankful. But anyway, I'm in Asia. I'm in Hong Kong. I just spent two weeks in Hong Kong. I finished my work and record time. I really really had a successful trip. I acquired everything we needed. I got great prices for the company. I carried the flag well for the company, good political meetings. Everything was great, made new allies, made new suppliers. I'm done, and I'm ready to get on the plane the next morning to fly home. And I get a text from then my new boss, who I've been working for maybe a couple of months at Max. He says, I'm coming to Asia tomorrow. He said, this is Sunday, He says, I'm coming to Asia on Tuesday, that we'll meet on Wednesday. So I write them back, it's saturday. I'm ready to go home. He says, well, we're meeting on Wednesday. I said, I finished all my work, and he said to me he's senior VP of whatever his title general merchandise. He smark, let me repeat it again. I don't care if it's Saturday. I don't care if it's Monday, I don't care if it's Wednesday. I'm getting in Wednesday night. We're going to meet on Thursday. Stick around. I'll see you then. So I stopped texting. You know, I got really really pissed off, really really pissed off. I was with two other guys, one of them was from our office in Asia, and I said, you know, I'm not sticking around. He said to me, what do you mean you're not sticking around. I said, it's going to be the weekend. I want to enjoy myself. I want to go somewhere i've never been. I've never been to the Philippines. And he looks at me like I'm crazy. He says, the Philippines. How are you going to justify that? I said, I told you, I'm ready to finish my work. I have nothing to do here. I did everything we need to do. Well. You accomplished. You should be going home. You should be going home. There was another guy from New York. I should be going home. I don't want to sit around and with take a vacation. They're like freaking out. They don't know what to do. I said, you can come with me. There's no reason you should sit here. So the three of us TechEd the travel office in Hong Kong where we are, and I said, book me to the Philippines. I want to stay in the Manila hotel. We're going to spend the week that we're gonna fly home Wednesday night. So I got on an airplane went to the Philippines to hang out. Now, the Philippines is an interesting place. Didn't at the time. It felt a little like an arm camp at the time. But beautiful beach is beautiful hotel. I loved it. And here we are staying on the beach, getting out tan, hanging out in the beach. And I got a text Wednesday night. I didn't know. We wanted to have dinner. Where are you I'm having dinner? What time you were coming down, and I said, uh, well, I'm stuttering and I didn't even text it yet. I said, we're still in the Philippines, so silence. What are you doing in the Philippines? Silence? Hanging out? What do you mean hanging out? Are you visiting with suppliers? Did you have business meetings there? Silence?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: Then what are you doing there waiting for you? You were in a Hong Kong. Who authorized you to go to the Philippines? Silence. I didn't think I need authorization. I should have been going home. I will see you tomorrow. Yeah, I'll see you tomorrow that following morning. Now, this is my new boss. He was seeing the VP exact VP. I was a VP. He was a heavyweight, and you know he was pissed. He looks at me. He said, mister Weber, you do know how companies work, don't you? I said, in what regard? He said, who you work for? I said yes. He said, I told you I want to meet me with you Thursday. I said, it's Thursday. I'm here because I didn't tell you to go take a vacation in the Philippines. No, you didn't. I did that on my own. So he said who's paying for it? I said, I used a company credit card. Who would be paying for it? Silence? Silence, He said, mister Weber, I would call you Mark, but I'm really upset with you right now. No one authorized you to take a vacation, I said, you know what, his name was John. In the history of my time with the company, I've been to Asia, probably at this point thirty times, and in thirty times, no one ever asked me to stay longer than I had to. Having been away for two weeks, you asked me to stay. I stayed. I spent some quiet downtime over the weekend in the Philippines. Did you take any appointments?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: Why not? I instructed our team that I didn't want to have any meetings. We were taking the time off. He was so pissed. So when I say to you, I had trouble with airplanes, you know this is the kind of thing I was talking about.
Speaker 4: Why were you such a wise guy? To him?
Speaker 2: The honest answer, because I could be. I was so highly regarded at this time. I walked on water. I didn't do it without knowing that there was nothing he can do. He was new to the position. He desperately needed me at the time. He didn't need me in the pat in the future, you know, no, it did. No one's irreplaceable. But at that moment in time, doing the job I was doing, he had nowhere to go, and I knew I had him.
Speaker 4: So I'm imagining this is the only other political issue that you've had.
Speaker 2: Traveling not so fast, all right. You know, I used to enjoy hanging out in the sun. Before you know, we all realized how danger it is. I used to love it. And I was with a group of people in Taiwan staying the Grand Hotel in Taiwan. The Grand Hotel in Taiwan is the biggest hotel you've ever seen. It's I can't explain it. Every room it's first of all, it's modeled after ancient China. Every room has floor to ceilings got to be thirty feet. It's all in that old mahogany wood. The beds are used. My floor must have been three thousand square feet. It was the nicest room in the world, and they had the greatest swimming pool. And people who knew when they travel, if they had to go to Taiwan and they needed to be there near the weekend. They stay in Taiwan at that hotel for the weekend because between the tennis courts and the swimming pool and the weather is always beautiful, great place to stay, so no reason to get in trouble, right, So what happened? Good question, now that you asked. So Saturday night, we stayed the day in Taiwan, stayed by the pool. It was unbelievably gorgeous, and the next day Sunday was going to be even more gorgeous. And instead of having to fly in on Saturday in the morning, we got there at twelve. We didn't have a full day. I said to myself, can you imagine how great it would be to stay here a full day, wake up in the morning, have breakfast, go down to the pool, play some tennis with everybody, and have a great time, and then fly to Hong Kong on Monday. Like we all agreed in the first place. There is one problem though. The president of the company, who's a very close business friend of mine, was having a birthday party Sunday night, and a lot of people from the Hong Kong office were going as well as me and my entourage of eight people, and I had a choice to make go to his birthday party and eat another Chinese dinner with our Chinese office, or take the day off and stay in Hong Kong and miss his birthday party. Guess which I did. Stayed in Taiwan, I stayed at the Grand Hotel, didn't show up for the party. He got crazy. We worked together for the next ten years. You couldn't have people who liked each other more, respected each other more, who enjoyed each other more. He was more of a father than a boss to me. Never forgave me.
Speaker 3: So.
Speaker 2: When it comes to inventions, in particular the airplane, while I love it, it just made the world a small place. It's taken me everywhere you can possibly manage. Politically, it hasn't been a good friend, Okay, Jesse. Now the best question of all, best question ever on inventions. What invention hasn't been invented yet that you'd like to be invented?
Speaker 3: You mean, aside from the cure to every single disease. Put that to the side.
Speaker 4: I would say this is I've been thought about this a while. Teleportation.
Speaker 3: How amazing would it be to teleport wherever you want to go, anywhere, at any time?
Speaker 4: Great idea, I want to go anywhere I want at any time. That's what I think. That would be an amazing life.
Speaker 2: And is your teleportation instantaneous instantaneous? Oh, that's a great one. What about you, You're almost touched on it. I want a fountain a youth. I want to be twenty three years old again. You imagine anybody in this world who could get young again? What they pay for it? What a what an incredible idea to get young again. I would like that to happen. And by the way, if it is, let's go, let's make it soon. I miss those days at twenty three. So yeah, that would be a great one.
Speaker 3: That's a good one. That's a good one. I can't I can't deny. That's a great one.
Speaker 2: And those of you who look in the mirror all the time, I'm sure some of you are thinking hair growth, elimination of humidity in your hair, elimination of wrinkles.
Speaker 3: They you know, like like what's it called weight loss drugs, instantaneous weight loss drugs, but those have already been invented, have kind of caused issues.
Speaker 2: I'd like to invent good tastes for all of you out there. Have absolutely the worst taste so many of you. If it wasn't for bad taste, I have no taste at all. I wish I could just teach everyone how to dress so I wouldn't have to look at you the way you do. I would re uninvent shorts and uninvent sandals for men. I would do a whole bunch of things. You uninvent brown shoes on navy suits. No brown shoes at night, for sure. But having said that, I'm thankful for inventions. Having said that, if you're listening closely, there's some good lessons there. Back in a minute. Always in fashion, I spent a lifetime of my career building the van Usen Brand, and I am so pleased that they're back with us now talking about suits. Men were dressing up again, and it's become cool to wear a suit. Suits can be won on multiplccasions in multiple ways. Could wear a suit formally to go out at night or to an event, to wear a suit to the office with or without a tie. If you look closely, now fashion trends, suits are being worn with turtlenecks or mack next, the choices are endless, and every one of them looks right. You could really, really look the part. I believe that packaging yourself is as important does the products you package, and wearing a suit is one of those things that make men look their best. Venues In invented a new idea. It's called the cool Flex suit. It's been engineered with stretch technology, giving you the most comfortable fit and mobility. Its wrinkle resistant fabric, it's cool moisture WICKI it makes it perfect for all occasions. As we discussed just now, this new style of looking sharp while feeling cool and comfortable is amazing, and I'm so excited that the ven Using company is involved in this new technology and is embracing the whole idea of dressing up. Let's not forget van Using made its name with dress shirts. It's only proper that the suit business follows strongly in its way. You can find van Using cool Flex Men's stretch suits at jcpenny or online at jcpenny dot com. Guys, they're great. You should go look at them. I've been shopping for fun lately, and while I'm out, I always look at men's and I look at women's. What's going on? And I was particularly interested in DKY because of their sponsorship of the show. I went downstairs at Macy's thirty fourth Street to look around and I saw DKY Activewear, and I promise you, ladies, it is sensational. From the sports bras to the crop tops, to the leggings and the sweats. It really is a great look. And dk Y had begun as an all American brand dressing casual clothes engines, and the stuff looks incredible and right now the colors and the styles is so exciting that I feel great about the company. I always do. I wear the men's were all the time. I've had situations where I've gone to big events and been interviewed TV or the radio, and someone comes up to me with a microphone and like they always do, who you're wearing? And here I am, this big shot with big company and they say, well, I'm wearing a DKY and they laugh and say, no, you're not. I actually have one on the internet where you could see me. They asked me what suit I'm wearing, and I say dk and why and open it up and there's the DKY label. Great fashion, It fits well, it looks right. It's designed to make you comfortable in the city. Goes from day and tonight. You could wear it in the morning, you wear it in the afternoon, and you look cool at night as well. It's great for the office, it's a great for leisure. But I'm talking about the DKY activewear. The first time I really became aware of Jesse and I were up at Sirius Radio. He was doing a job for Serious He does Dan Abrams show, he fills in on the Potus Network, and we were in the lobby and this hip hop group came up with this really great looking Latino singer girl young beautiful, and she was wearing a DKY sports bra, and I said to myself, this is amazing. Actually went to Macy's to see it, and I'm excited about the brand. And I tell you what, ladies, DKY always has great fashion for work, always wonderful dresses and things that you'd wear. Their accessories are great, the shoes are always very cool. But active wear in particular right now looks sensational and being that everyone's athleasure and active where it's a great time. Dkhy go take a.
Speaker 4: Look, welcome back to it. Always in fashion. Here's your host, Mark Webber.
Speaker 2: You know, I have such a good time tonight. I didn't even get to what the show was really about. What happened really to me this week is I saw the movie Tom Cruise The Firm, where he remembered that the law He went back and remembered that the law was this answer to the puzzle in this movie The Firm, And I want to go into the movie. You don't know it too bad, You should go watch. It's a great movie, only be greater, not quite as great as a few Good Men, but two great movies. But what it did for me, it remembered for me. I had a fellow who asked me to send him a copy of the book, a friend of the named named Michael, and he sent me his copy. I signed it and sent it back to him. And when I was looking at his book, I happened to notice on the back page one of the quotes given by a fellow named Gilbert Harrison, who wrote in a chapter called in case you weren't paying attention, Gilbert Harrison wrote a fascinating tale about the book. He wrote about the book, a fascinating tale with the most intriguing chapter featuring Weber's forty three lessons everyone should consider to becoming a success, and it reminded me that I went and I looked at the forty one lessons. I went and looked at the forty three lessons, and that's where the whole show came from. Having said that we have so of these topics to cover. I didn't get it until just now, and I wanted to give you a little insight. I over time intended to do all forty three of those lessons and talk about them, particularly those that I haven't ever covered before. Don't get nervous. I don't have time tonight to do all forty one. I'll pick the first one in the book, and maybe then I'll make an impression with you, and on a night we're talking Thanksgiving at the same time, something that you might give thanks to when you think about it all alone. This is a career lesson. When I first started working, I was so respectful of all the people around me. I realized that as a team, it wasn't like baseball. When I played baseball, everyone on the baseball team had a role. Now I'm in corporate life with no experience of sitting around a room and I'm watching everyone has a different role, and the team I'm with I see as a financial officer who's talking about the money and the finances. There's a sales team talking about what they need to get done. There's an operation team whose job it is to take all the ideas, make products and make sure they get delivered on time. And of course there was a design team that's sitting there coming up with the ideas of what will be next. And it doesn't matter what business you're in. Pretty much, I just define those most important things. I'm not counting. Concluded is I'm not kind of a warehouse. I should, but I'm not because they were represented as well. But those few jobs are what make companies run. It doesn't matter if you're selling automobiles, you're selling shirts, or you're selling rocket ships. So all the same principles have to come in play. Ideas, selling them, paying for them, and then delivering on the idea. And I'm in this room, which was called at the time of bull session where everyone came together. The designers in the company would present their ideas and everyone would look and rate them and decide what to go and what to do from that. And I sat in that room and I realized, watching these designs so hard, We're working so hard to convince everyone that their ideas would make sense and that they should be told go forward with everything you suggested. You're brilliant, we get it, we'd love it, Just go ahead. It didn't work that way. It didn't work that way when it got into financial side. You know, the financial guy would say something to the effect of, our shirts have to sell for twenty five dollars. If we use that fabricus suggesting, and we use that quality of details in the collars and the cuffs, we'll we be able to sell that shirt for twenty five dollars and make money. The designer couldn't answer the question because those days or that particular designer didn't understand his own finances. How could you be valid? How could you be designer? How could you represent any product whatsoever if you don't understand what it costs. Then the question became how long will it take to get here? You're talking about a style that's starting to develop, now you're seeing it in the stores. We're going to be at the tail end of it. We're going to miss the initial rust thrust. We're going to miss the initial thrust. How and when are you going to get it here? And unfortunately, the same designers sitting there, and he doesn't answer the question. He knows that his designs are done, but he doesn't understand the cycle. He doesn't understand, let alone the life cycle of the p when do you gotta have it and when do you have to be finished with it? But he didn't understand from development to execution when it would be delivered. The sales team were doing their own calculations about how many should we buy and who will buy it, and they started to talk about it, and you could see on pretty much everyone else's face blank stares. Because only the salespeople understood the potential and how to develop it. The operation people in the warehouse had to make room for it. They had to be ready if these things came in late and they had to be delivered in October. If they came in in October, how are they going to turn it around and get it out in October? And it was at that moment that I realized how important it was to understand every aspect of the business. I began in design. I was good at it. I wasn't great. I was smart, but I wasn't great. I wasn't a donna Karen. I wasn't a Calvin Klein. I was more of an operational designer. I knew that from a talent point of view, I didn't care about design to the extent those other people would. So I had to bring something different to the table. And it was all those subjects that I knew nothing about for my entire career. If you asked me to come speak at your school, speak at your office, speak in your facilities, if you're a congressman of senator, anybody asked to me to come and speak, my speech will always be do you want to be the puppet master or the puppet? It comes from the visual of the movie The Godfather, which to this day has stayed and lasted to test the time. To me, I'm so into movies. It's still my favorite movie of all time. And I remember in the early days looking at the cover of that movie on the book Mario Pusa, and I'm just trying to understand what it meant. And I realized that the Godfather was the puppet master. It's a marionette strings And I asked myself right then and there, do I want to be in control or being told what to do? My whole life? The Godfather hadn't come out yet in later years when I saw it, it became the theme for my speaking engagements and the theme for lesson number one of the forty three lessons that everyone should read if they want a great career in the book. So what I say to you tonight is I talk about this. You want to be successful in your own business. You want to be successful in a company. The more you know, the better you'll be. If you understand all the components that it takes to getting your product out there, from development, inception to delivery, you will be in a position to make decisions. You'll be holding the strings rather than dangling at the bottom of them. And if there was ever a lesson, there's a reason why. In my book, chapter forty three, in case you forgot to pay attention, lesson number one is do you want to be the puppet master or the puppet? Having said this, I had fun talking to you tonight. Happy Thanksgiving week. I hope you all have sponderful times with your families and friends. As far as we're concerned, we touched on Thanksgiving a little. From my vantage point, I hope you got something from to Night Show, Good Night