Speaker 1: Coming to you from the dining room table at East Barbury Lane. Welcome to the first episode of season five of Full Circle, the podcast. A visit to our home where we squeeze a few headlines through our decidedly queer lens and see what happens. This episode is brought to you by Decanted jug Wine and a Windows open day in early March.
Speaker 2: I am your host, Charles Tyson Jr.
Speaker 1: And I am your host Martha Madrigal. Welcome back to the Full Circle Table.
Speaker 2: Five seasons.
Speaker 1: That was take four. It took me four takes to get the intro, which is always cold. I don't know why I was tripping over it, but I was, you wasp, I was tripping on it. Yeah, so season five, how about that? Who'd have thought me? Yeah, you saw that, you saw longevity. I did happening.
Speaker 2: Because you know, it's not like we're talking about a subject that has a shelf life or anything.
Speaker 1: Yes, it is.
Speaker 2: What queerness.
Speaker 1: Oh no, that doesn't know. I mean sometimes what's what we're talking about has a bit of a shelf life.
Speaker 2: Obviously that was getting ready saying.
Speaker 1: But I was like, wait, what, oh no, you know something I know? Yeah, neither one of us will stop being queer. You won't stop being black, I won't stop being trans. So I guess here we are yeah right, yeah, and and and it continues to bother up a segment of the population. Good right, good, Yeah, success is the best revenge.
Speaker 2: I was channeling the big bug Monster from one of the cut ways on Family Guy. Good good.
Speaker 1: This is what number is this? We're we're one hundred and sixty something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this would be one hundred and sixty five.
Speaker 1: Wow. Okay, yeah, okay, yeah, so we've been we've been recording for a while now. Yeah, we do have some good news along with some nonsense, along with some folks who died as per usual. Yeah, yeah, pretty much. So, you know, any thoughts as we enter season five, any any other than you know, you've got a cold, and my clock is working and we have the windows open.
Speaker 2: This is the season where big things are going to happen, I think. So.
Speaker 1: I love that we have such a canon of work. I mean, you can figure out who we are and what this show is pretty well. Yeah by just listening back.
Speaker 2: It's crazy if you google me. Now, podcast stuff is like the bulk of what comes up. I have to dig to you know, find any vestiges of my performing arts career.
Speaker 1: Huh interesting and if you google me, I mean, I guess the same is true because we got contacted through the podcast. Yes, and I will be sitting on a local women's history panel this coming week.
Speaker 2: That's true.
Speaker 1: My understanding sounds like the first time that they have ever included a trans woman. It's exciting.
Speaker 2: It is exciting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's going to be interesting. But it was actually a local teacher who is also very active in the teachers' union, who was googling looking for someone to speak on these issues a local trans person and found me and found the podcast, and yeah, so that was kind of cool. Yeah, because I thought it had something to do with my previous job and had nothing to do with that.
Speaker 2: And if you want to book Martha or I or both of us for anything, you can just visit full Circle thepod dot com just saying.
Speaker 1: Yeah you can, and folks are doing that. Yeah. That is something that's picked up lately, is invitations to speak Yes, and I'll pretty much go to anything. I I No one has asked me to do anything that I felt any kind of need to turn down, but it's nice to see that continuing to happen, and anytime there's trans representation and a conversation about us, I'm happier. So yeah, and anytime we get to lead that conversation, I'm happier still exactly. And then when it's me doing it, hey fullsclepot dot com. Yeah, there you go. So good things are happening. It's the start of a new season. So I guess we will see what season five holds. You know, we can't promise we record every week, but we're going to try exactly. Yeah, so who died? I don't have a segway into that Who's dead? Well damn Yeah.
Speaker 2: So I just want to start off by saying People Magazine, the way they publish their headlines is so interesting. It's like they don't name names. I guess because they're not trying to seem salacious.
Speaker 1: Okay, so.
Speaker 2: They'll say like superstar, beloved film star, and it's either like a big name or it's like who like that played like second rock on the left in the back, but lobster number two. So but this headline said Will and Grace Starr passes away and I was like, and come to find out it was Corey Parker Corey Parker was the actor who played I described him to you as a Grace's woo woo boyfriend, Josh.
Speaker 1: That is what you said?
Speaker 2: Who ended up being queer?
Speaker 1: Yes in the show. Yes, Oh, okay, he.
Speaker 2: Was, and he had a he had a multi episode arc on the show. He was there for a minute.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: The actor's name is Corey Parker and he was sixty when he lost his battle to cancer, which at first I was like, how is that possible? Then it occurred to me how long ago it was that Will and Grace was on the air.
Speaker 1: It's been a minute.
Speaker 2: It's well nigh thirty years now.
Speaker 1: So you know what I know about him? His mother, I want to say. Her name is Rocky Parker, was Patrick Dempsey's first wife and considerably older than him when they married. I think Patrick Dempsey was like twenty one and she was like forty seven. Oh I believe, yeah, in like the late eighties. That's what I know about Corey. This is about his mother, who Yeah, okay, it's all I got, but.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I enjoyed him on the show, and apparently his death is right after another Will and Grace actor, Charles C. Stevenson Junior, who played Smitty, who passed away last month in February.
Speaker 1: I don't know either of these characters.
Speaker 2: Smitty was always the bartender, and Karen would be talking to him and he would tell her like a really sad, dark story, and then she would crack up and go, oh, Smitty, you always know how to make me laugh. He'd be talking about how like he lost a toe of frostbite going through the snow to rescue his wife who ended up dying in a car crash or something, and she was just like, oh, Smitty, you sure know how to tell a joke.
Speaker 1: Oh, well, okay, I don't remember that. Yeah, I didn't think she needed to go to a bar to drink. Well, she didn't need to, Well I didn't. Yeah, I don't remember that. I was not the same level of fan that you were. I've not seen every episode. I don't think.
Speaker 2: Well, it cracks me up because like he would always be the bartender no matter where she was.
Speaker 1: Oh that's okay, that's fun.
Speaker 2: So I wonder if like she just brought him with her everywhere.
Speaker 1: Oh that's kind of fun. Okay. So two cast members from Will and Grace.
Speaker 2: Yes, okay, So rest in peace to Corey Parker and Charles Stevenson Junior.
Speaker 1: Bernard Lafayette, Yes.
Speaker 2: I just discovered his passing yesterday. Actually. Bernard Lafayette was the a voting rights organizer and Selma during the height of the Civil rights movement. He passed away at eighty five, okay this week of a heart attack. Bernard Lafayette did the risky groundwork for the voter registration campaign in Selma, Alabama, that culminated in the passage of the Voting Rights Act of nineteen six correct.
Speaker 1: He was one of a delegation of Nashville students who in nineteen sixty had helped found the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee known as SNICK, which organized desegregation and voting rights campaigns across the South. They crossed Selma off their map after some initial scouting determined that the white folks were too mean and the black folks were too scared. Wow, but he insisted on trying anyway. Named director of the Alabama voter registration campaign in nineteen sixty three, Lafayette moved to the town and with his former wife, Collia Lidell, gradually built the leadership capacity of the local people, convincing them change was possible and creating momentum that could not be stopped. He described this work in a twenty thirteen memoir called In Peace and Freedom, My journey and the.
Speaker 2: Many dangers Lafayette faced included an assassination attempt on the same night Magdgar Evers was murdered in Mississippi in what the FBI said was a conspiracy to kill civil rights workers. Lafayette was beaten outside his home before his assailant pointed a gun at him. His calls for help brought out a neighbor with a rifle. Lafayette found himself standing between the two men, asking his neighbor not to shoot. He said he felt an extraordinary sense of internal strength instead of fear at that moment, and rather than fight back, he looked his attacker in the eyes. Nonviolence is a fight, to quote when that person over a struggle of the human spirit. That's what he wrombered.
Speaker 1: He was already working on a new project in Chicago by the time his work in Selma came to fruition in nineteen sixty five. He had planned to join the Selma to Montgomery March on day two, so he missed Bloody Sunday when the march was stopped by teargas and club wieldings State troopers before it even got out of Selma. I felt helpless at a distance, he wrote. I was stricken with grief, concerned that so many people in my beloved community were hurt, possibly killed. But he shifted quickly, rounding up people in Chicago and arranging transport to Alabama for a second attempt. They set off two weeks later on what had become a victory march. President Lyndon Johnson had introduced the Voting Rights Act to Congress.
Speaker 2: Lafayette grew up in Tampa, Florida, where he recalled trying to board a trolley with his grandmother when he was seven years old. Black passengers had to pay at the front, then walk to the back to climb on, but the conductor began to pull away before they could board, and his grandmother fell. He was too little to help. I felt like a sword cut me in half, and I vowed I would do something about this problem one day, he wrote in his memoir, And he did you know?
Speaker 1: He had said Antentah twenty one. When you think about it, we weren't trying to make history or trying to rewrite history. We were responding to the problems of the particular time.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: Wow, So what a life, right yeah, what an important contribution.
Speaker 2: And it's crazy that I didn't learn really about him until he died.
Speaker 1: How about that? How many? Right?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 1: In his memoir, Lafayette wrote that the ever present threat of death during those early years of organizing taught him that the value of life lies not in longevity, but in what people do to give it significance, rest in power, rust and power. Indeed, let's move right along and talk about some good news. How about that. That'd be great. Okay, let's see. So primary elections have started, Yes they have. Anti trans Democrats were blown out in North Carolina in the primary election.
Speaker 2: Ha.
Speaker 1: Yes, Nasif Majeed lost to Valeria Levy, who ran on a pro LGBT plus platform. Other conservative Democrats lost as well, you know, because I am tired of that trope that I'm hearing from some Democrats like Kevin Newsom, that you know, we've got to we've got to get off the tranny stuff. No, you don't. There's a big New York election that proved that. And I think this is more proof that the candidate you know these these were these folks were primaried. These these folks who were doing just that, abandoning the what should be the party line about queer and trans people are being primaried out. Yeah, I love seeing it. Let's see Democrats like Seth Multon and Tom Suzi, as well as Governor Gavin Newsom, have all leaned into this idea that they need to be more moderate on trans issues. There are no trans issues. First of all, let's get that clear. There are no trans issues. They were wholly manufactured by the Republican Party. We were doing just fine without y'all. We didn't need your input whatsoever. Our medicine belongs in the hands of doctors, period, patients, parents, caregivers. It should never have been an issue. They created it. So Democrats that are stupid enough to jump on that issue deserve to be primari and I love seeing this. Let's say. Yeah, and the state in North Carolina is most prominent anti te transgender democrat fell to a progressive challenger and lost by more than forty points. Other anti transit rate leaning democrats lost their own primaries as well. Former Representative Michael Ray, who voted with Republicans to override vetos on a transgender sportsman and a youth gender affirming Caraban in twenty twenty three, attempted to reclaim his seat after losing his twenty twenty four primary by just thirty four votes. He even appealed to Republicans in his district to temporarily switch their voting registrations so they could vote for him in the Democratic primary. It didn't work, nope. Pierce, who had campaigned explicitly against Ray's record of voting with Republicans, demolished him in the rematch sixty four percent to thirty six percent. Conservatives. Democrat Carla Cunningham, who was the sole Democratic vote to override Governor Stein's veto of an ice cooperation bill and declared on the House floor that all cultures are not equal, lost our own primary to the Reverend Rodney Sadler seventy percent to twenty two percent. It's almost like these tired old Republican in middle of the road ideas don't fly anymore. Exactly, this is not what the American people want. And the more you try to convince us that it is, the matter, folks get and we're seeing the backlash in states like North Carolina. Yep, how about.
Speaker 2: It say something I'm giving up on you.
Speaker 1: I know. Anti transgender Democrats have not fared well in recent years. In twenty twenty three, Texas Democrat Sean siy voted to pass a gender firming caraban for trans youth called Transgender Girls Biological Males, argued that conversion therapy was the true solution to gender dysphoria. The following year, she lost her primary runoff to Lauren Ashley Simmons, a black queer union organizer, sixty five to thirty five percent. Similar result came in Kansas, where Democrat Marvin Robinson was the sole Democratic vote to override Laura Kelly's veto of a transgender sports fan, a vote his Democratic colleagues accused him of trading to Republicans in exchange for two hundred and fifty thousand dollars in funding for a community gazebo. He lost his twenty twenty four primary, receiving twenty two percent of the vote. In recent years, many Democrats have tried to suggest that the party should drop transgender issues and cave to Republicans to curry votes. The Republicans don't even want this shit, right, What you'd be currying the favor of Republican politicians, not actual Republicans, right, most of them. They should stay the fuck out of it. This is despite the American public siding with Democrats on transgender issues over Republicans at a plus twenty two percent margin, according to a very recent Fox News poem. I like it, right, I like it. I like seeing it. There was lots of news just like that. I did put some numbers here mid term primary voting results. In North Carolina, six hundred and twenty six thousand, six hundred and sixty seven Republicans voted, while eight hundred and twenty four thousand, seven hundred and ninety eight Democrats voted. In the Texas primaries, the Republicans saw two million, one hundred and fifty nine thousand, while the Democrats saw two million, three hundred and twelve.
Speaker 2: Fortunately, not enough of those voted for Jasmin Crockett. Not Jasmin Crockett is all I know, right right?
Speaker 1: I mean, I think I'm sure we haven't heard the last from her.
Speaker 2: She was the first politician I sent money to besides Obama.
Speaker 1: There you go. I mean, I love listening to her, her clarity, her fearlessness, in her words, amazing, she's smart as hell.
Speaker 2: One thing about her loss, Oh, it brought out all of the massage noir of course, from every side, women, men, white people, black.
Speaker 1: People, absolutely absolutely well. And here's the thing. That was a statewide race. Her seat in the House was not that was you know, district right that I believed before this, before this was Jerrymander, you know too in her favor. Let's say that, right, This was the entire state of Texas voting. So are we surprised?
Speaker 2: Not really, I mean it was still a close.
Speaker 1: Race, Yeah, it was.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 1: I mean, you know, I saw the numbers she had, you know, ninety much percent of black voters, right, But it was the other ones. Every other race trended in his direction.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: White voters and Asian voters and Latino voters all went his way. So that's how, Yeah, if there was a little more equality in that direction, it justly could have one.
Speaker 2: How they tried to paint her as uneducated, as ghetto, you know, and it's like, oh, y'all.
Speaker 1: Name a black woman that they haven't tried to paint that way. Oh, I know, But it's like Katanji Katanji Brown Jackson they tried to paint in said light.
Speaker 2: Oh, I know, but they just they it just it, they just really coming for her. And it's because she was more colloquial in her speech. But no less clear, no younger, no less pointed, no less backed up by facts and information.
Speaker 1: Right, you know, everyone doesn't find that charming. Some people find that scary as fuck, obviously, right.
Speaker 2: I loved it. That's one of the things I loved about her.
Speaker 1: It's like, oh that her many of her speeches gave me a little hope, right, like, oh, thank god we still have voices like hers.
Speaker 2: Like I feel like we would have been besties if we hadn't known each.
Speaker 1: Other, right right now. I love her voice. I love her again, her clarity, her take on things. I certainly I don't think this is the end of us hearing from her at all. And you know, it is a shame that she didn't win that one, Yeah it is. But you know this is when you, you know, include the whole state, no matter how popular a representative might be in their area or their district, right, that doesn't mean they can carry the state. And you know, again, it's fucking Texas, fucking Texas well, right, I mean, you know it's Texas. Texan's going to Texas well, right, we still have this idea that maybe maybe there's this purple thing happening there. Uh, maybe there is. We'll see.
Speaker 2: Texas is a big state.
Speaker 1: It's a very big state. And yeah, I mean, yeah, look at their governor. I would love to see that governor no longer a governor so that they could maybe replace that attorney general, right, because they have overstepped in breathtaking ways. But you know, it's like Desanti's winning a second term in Florida. What the fuck?
Speaker 2: People?
Speaker 1: How much do you need to and why do you get off on seeing fellow citizens tortured for no reason? Why? But yeah, it's a good ask question, isn't it Tale's oldest time. So, yes, she did not prevail, but she very much has an important voice regardless. True that this was fun, Tim Walls, Nancy Mayce tried to do a little gotcha with Tim Walls.
Speaker 2: She tried it, She tried it.
Speaker 1: So Tim Walls smacks down Nancy Mays's attempt to turn a fraud hearing into a debate about trans people as one does, right.
Speaker 2: And he was basically, what we're not going to do ah.
Speaker 1: You know, he did point out that the kids in his state are doing a hell of a lot better than the kids in her state. She is a Republican, of course, from South Carolina. Of course she I believe self. Des describes as a proud transfobe. Representative Nancy Mays asked Minnesota Governor Tim Walls to define what a woman is while questioning him in a hearing today in front of the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee. Walls refused to do so, saying I'm not here to be your prop for your obsession. That part, Oh my god, I loved it. The Republican led committee ostensibly summoned Walls to discuss mass welfare fraud allegations that have occurred in his state. Minnesota's Attorney General, Keith Ellison, is currently prosecuting about one hundred individuals who stole hundreds of millions of taxpayer funds by setting up companies that build state agencies for services they never provided. However, in his opening statement, Walls said the people of Minnesota have been singled out and targeted by political retribution at an on paralleled scale, which is true, including blocking medicaid reimbursements to our state. Wow, the Trump administration blocked two hundred and sixty million dollars in Medicaid funding to the state, straining medical providers and poorer patients statewide. Yes they did, Yeah, they did. While the federal government has said it will release the funds only after Minnesota submits and implements a comprehensive corrective action plan to address fraud, waste, and abuse, Minnesota has sued, alleging that the congressionally approved funds are being withheld illegally and are punishing elderly, disabled and veteran patients who rely on Medicare funded community providers for care. Let me be clear, in Minnesota, if you defraud public programs, if you steal taxpayer money, we'll find you. We'll prosecute you, We'll convict you, and will throw you in jail, Walls said in his opening statement. While sitting near Ellison. During questioning, Mace asked Walls if he had learned anything from his experience testifying in front of the committee in January. Walls replied, I did. I learned that if I didn't speak up, two of my people would be dead. Congresswoman, and I warned you, ooh yeah, he's referring, of course, to Renee Good and Alex Pretty, who were killed by federal immigration agents in Minneapolis. Yes, sure, yep, Mace replied by asking what is a woman? This was her answer, right.
Speaker 2: Desperate?
Speaker 1: Did you learn that lesson? Do you know what a woman is? Walls answered, I'm the governor of Minnesota. Congresswoman, I'm not here to be your prop for your obsession. So if you can't define what a woman is, you certainly can't define what fraud is.
Speaker 2: Good God, I'm not playing with you, little girl.
Speaker 1: She's a mass. She's a mass. Later in the questioning, she wrote various monetarium percentage figures on a whiteboard and began questioning Walls about them. When Walls refused once again to be her prop, she accused him of not being able to answer basic math questions about fraud in his state. He then asked her where her state ranked in terms of fraud. Public rankings of fraud in each state vary due to the many different types of fraud. Did you do you even care about kids in Minnesota? She said, oh, they ranked near the top and every category. Wall said, where does South Carolina rank? My children are fed, My children are housed, my children have healthcare, My children have the best schools. Of course, we know. South Carolina frequently ranks in the bottom quartile of child well being. Yeah, thirty eighth overall in the twenty twenty five Kids Count data book for child wellbeing.
Speaker 2: Uh yeah.
Speaker 1: They consistently rank poorly in areas like education forty third, childcare forty fifth, and general family safety. Often cited as one of the worst states to raise a family.
Speaker 2: Which sucks because we happen to know several South Carolinians who are raising a family and doing quite well they are.
Speaker 1: But by the same measure, Minnesota ranks fifth best in the US for overall child wellbeing. Yeah, so maybe Mace is nothing but a lying hypocrite. Uh huh who is fixated on trans women?
Speaker 2: But what about but but it's like no little grind playing with you.
Speaker 1: I like his succinct answer, yep, I do. It made me happy. This was fun.
Speaker 2: Oh. The headline reads a surprising thing happens when conservatives are forced to watch real news, study finds huh. I found this particularly interesting. Podcaster Lucas Bean has been investigating the Trump cult for some time now on his YouTube and TikTok channels, and his findings, while unsurprising, are proving valuable in light of the administration's recent warmonger okay calling on a study done by UC Berkeley and Yale, Bean's recent video shows us what happens when you stop mainlining the propaganda and start engaging with actual journalistic reporting. The findings, while hopeful in some areas, are definitely a mixed bag. In a study conducted in twenty twenty two, political scientists found that when devoted Fox News viewers were exposed to CNN for just a month, their critical thinking skills sharpened, leading them to be less susceptible to conspiracy theories and right wing propaganda. Of the seven hundred and sixty three Republicans in the survey, the majority of them white men over fifty, they found that after just a month, even the most stubborn, most anti LGBTQ plus conservatives started to see good sense after watching traditional news reporting that didn't force viewers to draw partisan conclusions imagine right. These viewers were paid fifteen dollars an hour to watch CNN during prime time and were quizzed weekly to make sure they were actually doing their homework and surprise, surprise. It didn't take long for their views to start changing. They stopped assuming that reports of Biden's quote unquote stolen election were accurate, They became less paranoid about voting by mail, and they became more critical of Trump's policies. One month, Lucas Bean reports, that's all it took to start breaking through decades of propaganda.
Speaker 1: How about it? How about it?
Speaker 2: Right, It's like when you're actually dealing with facts and real people instead of buzz words and AI videos. Yeah, that wiring in your brain changes.
Speaker 1: Yeah. It's almost like not allowing things like Fox News to exist in the first place was a really good policy.
Speaker 2: I'm surprised they still let them use the word news.
Speaker 1: I am too, because it isn't.
Speaker 2: They had to legally stop saying they were news. They had to say they were entertainment.
Speaker 1: I know, but they still call themselves news. The study was the result of a hypothesis by UC Berkeley's David Brookman and Yale's Josh Calla that conservative news outlets were either under reporting or misreporting Trump's many first term failures. In the fall of twenty twenty, Trump had majorly bungled the response to COVID, creating a surge of voter dissatisfaction that led voters to elect Joe Biden. Fox News viewers, of course, were encouraged to believe that the results of the election were stolen. But as the study revealed, the more you watched heavily slanted part as the news outlets, the more you're likely to swallow the propaganda on offer, no matter how ludicrous it might appear.
Speaker 2: Right, if you keep shoveling shit into your gullet, you're going to start developing a taste for it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're not turning them into an MSNBC or CNN audience, Bruckman said of the study, But they start to realize, you know, maybe Trump isn't doing as good a job on handling the coronavirus as I thought. They start to be aware of some new information and they're not just rejecting it as fake news. They're saying, I still like Trump, but maybe he could do a better job at this. That's something right, right.
Speaker 2: However, there's a depressing catch here. The storys After the study ended, reviewers reverted to their old habits, and their old partisan views snapped right back into place. The fear came back, the lies came back, the loyalty came back. Being explains again, it's not exactly a shock, but it does demonstrate how powerful propaganda can be when it's disguised as old fashioned common.
Speaker 1: Sense, right, and that is a disguise.
Speaker 2: Yes, one month of reality wasn't enough to break the Fox News machine, and a poll in twenty twenty three found that a majority of Republicans held on to their beliefs about Biden stealing the election, despite having zero evidence to prove it.
Speaker 1: Right. If anyone stole an election, well it wasn't Biden. So how can we hope to break people out of the Trump cult? The good news is people already seem to be doing that of their own accord, even with Fox News spinning its propaganda steadily. The reality is that Trump troops are already breaking ranks, with major figures like Megan Kelly, Nick Fuentes, and Alex Jones suddenly turning on the once worshiped figure. And if those people can break away from the Trump cult, there's hope for everyone, and we are seeing more and more of them. None of them wanted to go to war. They did believe in this whole America first, saying, even though that was always a joke where this one was concerned, they are turning on him left, right, and sideways and good. Yeah, so I have so much good news. I want to take a break and come back and talk about more of that. Okay, we'll be right back, and we're back.
Speaker 2: We're bad.
Speaker 1: You know. That's one more story that leaves me to ponder, how do we repair the relationships destroyed, you know, by propaganda, lies and utter nonsense, And.
Speaker 2: Can they be repaired? I don't know, because there's a lot of people that are like, you know, I encourage you to have a change of heart. I you know, can forgive you, but that in the sense of like, yeah, but.
Speaker 1: Only if you acknowledge it. First of all, you know, they would have to acknowledge you know, Hey, I joined a cult for a while.
Speaker 2: Well, right, that's what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: I believed megalize about people I love and should know better and like, but how does that even happen?
Speaker 2: Well, there are people that are having these these changes of heart and come to Jesus moments, and people in their lives are like, that's cute and all, but your repentance, your change behavior needs to be at least as long as the amount of time you tortured us with your.
Speaker 1: Bullshit exactly exactly, So until then, I mean, you know, I have someone in mind as I asked that question, right, who you know, the closest person to me biologically anyway? Right, you know, escorted themselves out of my life based on a whole string of lies, right, and believing them, you know, and believing them and I was the problem. And I just I'd love to know what the way back is, if there ever is one.
Speaker 2: Well, because I think of do O Hughgley when he said, your apology needs to be as loud as your action.
Speaker 1: How about it?
Speaker 2: So you need to this you're a true apology and I've been saying this. A true apology looks like sustained changed behavior, agreed, And that sustained change behavior needs to last at least as long as the offense before we talk about reconciliation. I can forgive you, I can say I forgive you, but that doesn't mean you're allowed at my house for thanksgiving.
Speaker 1: Right, forgiveness does not necessarily mean we forget exactly, or yeah, or change the boundaries, right, Yeah, I certainly don't have an answer to it, but I really do wonder. Let's let's just say sanity ultimately prevails. I have midterm elections and they go the way pretty much all of us know that they will, right and should. So let's say that the Democrats take over the House and the Senate. You know that that will be a sea change, and of course this, you know, I think impeachment follows immediately. I think they all know that. I think that's you know, part of the chaos being sent our way. But let's say, just let's just for a moment, say we wind up in a sane world again, right, all the damage that one person did well, and all the people that supported it and made money from it, and all the people that you know, produce things like Fox News, I mean, all the families that have been destroyed, and I know several, do we ever find common ground? The question?
Speaker 2: It is a question, and I think it behooves us to resist the temptation to be sore winners.
Speaker 1: Right, that's fair, that's fair, But they're you know, it's harder because they are very sore winners. Well, they are the most miserable group of people, even when they're in charge of everything. Right, they are still bitterly unhappy and constantly attacking people who've never done a thing to them. That's what they do, that's their thing, right, And it's like, uh yeah, so it's incumbent on us to be nice about it, right, Okay, I'll try, assuming it happens, I'll try, right, I'll try to be gracious.
Speaker 2: Well, it's like all of a sudden, all their problems weren't mysteriously taken away because the guy they voted for who promised these things got into office.
Speaker 1: You know, I'm gonna say this. We hadn't recovered from the damage Saint Reagan did to this country before Trump got elected. We had never fully returned to sanity. Right, there's still shit.
Speaker 2: We were the closest we'd ever been during Obama's administration.
Speaker 1: Yes we were, but he still couldn't get done everything he wanted to do because once again, the American people are fickle as fuck and racist as fuck. And you know, the midterms and they actively wiped away as a bill to do much of anything. And we had Mitch McConnell promising.
Speaker 2: Right, they were going to block everything he wanted to.
Speaker 1: Do, no matter what it was, no matter how good it might be for the American people because he said it, we reject it, right, and they took away his Supreme Court vote and got away with it.
Speaker 2: He could have said, I'm going to personally visit every home in the country and hand you fifty dollars cash and a puppy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they took away Nope, his vote and a vote that you know should have been Biden's. It's gross. Yeah, it's really gross. But you know, they don't play fair anymore, and I think, you know, as we move forward, we've got to just be really well aware of that. So, yeah, I want Democrats to continue to play fair. I would love to see a third party emerge, right, you know, but that has to start from the ground up. That can't We can't do that during in the middle of a national election.
Speaker 2: We should already be hearing about these parties so that when the election comes around, oh, we have like candidates from these third parties that are making away. But folks don't want to start getting mad and putting their fist in the air until like October third.
Speaker 1: And shit, Yeah, I know, it's an interesting time to be alive, I guess. But you know, the damage that Trump has done. I don't know if we ever recover from and maybe it is time for somebody else on the globe to take the reins and be the superpower, because we sure as hell have sucked it up left right and say well so, yeah, maybe somebody else will do a better job. Maybe somebody else can do a more peaceful job. I don't know.
Speaker 2: Again, when Germany is the voice of reason, I know, I hear you, and they have been well, they.
Speaker 1: Learned from their mistakes, at least in part overall, you know, where we have these jackasses who really don't grasp what that even was walking around with swastickers. Yeah, you know, because our education system is abysmal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Ms Merkle. She was the leader of the free world like back in the day.
Speaker 1: I know, I know, and had no stomach for Trump.
Speaker 2: Nope.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know where it's headed. I really don't. And and I just it's a shame that we allowed this, and of course Republicans pushed for it because they've had this agenda all along.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: They feed racism, they feed sexism, they feed homophobia, they feed transphobia, and then they call us the ones who are insisting on identity politics. Leave us the fuck alone. That would be my politics, you know what, that would be my platform. Stay out of my life, right, I'll stay out of yours. But as long as you're not doing hard right, they can't, No, they can't. And it's so ironic because I'm old enough to know that they were the Party of small government. They were allegedly the party of less government interference, the party of more freedoms. And you know America first, remember that that went away Jesus Christ in months, right.
Speaker 2: I was just thinking about there's a woman we've been following on on social media, Sonya Norwood.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, she is making her stuff for you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yes, she is a I just told her online. I said, you're my favorite kind of person. You are fabulous, you are smart, and you are silly as hell. So during Black History we discovered her because she was resurrecting forgotten uh I think she called them, yeah, lost and forgotten Black American recipes.
Speaker 1: Yes, and I made you vinegar pie.
Speaker 2: Yes, which was quite good. And I was like, well, since we're on that, here, try this, try this, try this.
Speaker 1: Anyway, I was looking bean pie is next. I'm excited about being I already know I like bean pie. Well, then then we go.
Speaker 2: But I was looking into her other content and she had posted this video. It was it was a story about some little itty bitty podunk spot in like Kansas or Wyoming or Kentucky or someplace where white people were building their own town for whites only, okay, And there was a guy, no culture, right, there was a guy who was like, you know, how come black people don't ever think to do this? Like, if if y'all ever did this, we would support it, we would encourage it. And then the rest of the video was her talking about every historically, like let's go back to Oklahoma, right, every black town and settlement in Central Park, right that rose to any kind of prominence and was completely self sustained and and you know, thriving on the black dollar. And that's it, right, And how long it took before white folks were like, we get and then destroyed it in some.
Speaker 1: Capacity, we must burn it down.
Speaker 2: Yes, the common thread was fire water, right, Yeah, all the elements, basically.
Speaker 1: All the elements, okay.
Speaker 2: Like first of course, you talked about you know, Tulsa, Black Wall Street. Then she talked about village. She talked about Seneca Village and how that became Central Park and all these other places that I didn't know about where they were like, you know, flooded or they the people the government knew that there was like a flood coming into the area, and they conveniently forgot to tell the black people in this town.
Speaker 1: Isn't that the ninth word?
Speaker 2: And they got flooded out?
Speaker 1: I mean they told them, but no, that was still.
Speaker 2: That was conveniently not bothering to upgrade the levee system.
Speaker 1: It was still water, right, and it still ain't what it was correct right right.
Speaker 2: So it's you know, that whole thing about we'll support black people if you know, you decide to pull yourself up by your bootstraps quote unquote and find your own your own towns and things.
Speaker 1: That's bullshit his history, I know, unless you look like you figured it out and you're succeeding. And uh, that bothers us, not me, But yeah, it does bather bothers out of a lot of white people, uh, to the point of genocide. But what else was Oklahoma? Truly?
Speaker 2: Exactly?
Speaker 1: Yeah? How about it? How about it? How do we get there? Well, you were saying we were following her, and you know she has she was talking about this little podunktwn. She's in Texas by the way.
Speaker 2: Oh, that explains the accent.
Speaker 1: She was talking about this little podunk white town and whye don't black.
Speaker 2: People do this?
Speaker 1: Well, every time black people do that.
Speaker 2: But how do we get there?
Speaker 1: You'll destroy it?
Speaker 2: Oh, minding your own business?
Speaker 1: Is that how we got there? Yes, okay, that's how we got I didn't even know. I did say my mind's your business, there's my politics, right, stay out of my life. All that to say, yeah, you know I, to me, it should not be such a radical proposition that I fucking know myself better than you ever can anyone else. And you know, I have known who I was since I was a small child, as most of us do. And I knew that I was trans. I didn't have the word. I mean, I have had the word, but I knew how I was. I knew it was in no way congruent to what they were trying to sell. And that's true for all of us, all of us. And so you know, it boggles my mind that people can look around and say that they know themselves, their minds are sound right, But because I'm different from them, because I function differently because I am somehow something they can't comprehend, which is bullshit. I just I don't deserve to live, right, Like what.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it don't make no sense.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I would love to get back to live and let live as a as a thing. And that was a Republican thing, right, that was a Republican thing?
Speaker 2: Or is James Brown said, don't start? Well? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: So, and I'm going to make a bean pie that came out of that whole conversation too. I bought the pie crust. I don't. I don't. I should make some pie crust at some point, but it's been a minute because I discovered pre made pie cross and I went, it's not any worse than I mean, it's as good as mine as far as I'm concerned, right, and it you know, I take it out of the refrigerator when I want to make a bye. So anyway, but I have the navy beans. She's amazing. We should link to her content.
Speaker 2: Sure.
Speaker 1: She would be a fun conversation.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, she would be.
Speaker 1: A really fun conversation and we could talk about recipes and whatever else she wanted to talk about.
Speaker 2: I'm down.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yeah, she's fabulous. Sonya, nor would anytime, anytime, anytime, we need to have that conversation. That would be a blast. Moving on, trans Girl Scouts have sold in excess of three hundred and thirty thousand boxes of cookies in a public outpouring of support. It's the highest in the history of Erin in the Mornings Trans Girl Scout Cookie List. She's been doing this for a bit five years ago, as the legislation first began spreading. Aaron started this. She started thinking about the trans kids caught in the middle of all this nonsense, transgender children suddenly facing a wave of hostility simply for existing, And that year she started something small in response, a trans Girl Scout cookie list. At that point, she only had three Scouts on the list, and the Internet responded immediately, helping them sell out their entire quota. And every year since the list has been made again again Aaron Reid, and every year it has grown larger. I want to sit down and talk to Aaron Reid too. I just I feel like she's too busy trying to protect all of us, But I really would love to sit and have a conversation with Aaron Reid.
Speaker 2: We missed the girl Scout cookie window didn't we I did we entirely? I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't know either.
Speaker 2: But if we.
Speaker 1: Didn't, I want something because last year I got to go next door.
Speaker 2: I know, last year we bought from our next door neighbor's daughter. You can't go knock on the door well because it was we had someone snow.
Speaker 1: But if we didn't miss it. Anyway, that's that's what you think of the Skout cookies. That's where you're going. Yeah, anyway. The list included two hundred and twenty transgender Girl Scouts participating, and together they have already sold more than three hundred and thirty thousand boxes of cookies, and the number is climbing by the minute. One Scout hoping to fund a troop trip to Alaska April twelve. Okay, so you can knock next door right, Yes, sold twenty five hundred boxes of cookies. Anyway, This is cool. This is a wonderful response. You know, this is a way that people can enjoy wonderful Girl Scout cookies and take a stand, you know, and say I do support trans kids and say you know, it's not my business, and say they deserve to live and thrive. Just like anyone else. So I think it's amazing. I think I love that it keeps growing. And you know, it's one more example. And I use this in talks, but we've used it here. God knows how many times when you are feeling lost and dejected, look to the responses, look to how folks are responding. And this is just one way you know that people are showing that they support you know, trans girls. It's amazing, it's a great cause. And they're delicious cookies. Love them, right, Yeah, And it sends a powerful message that hates not going to ultimately win. So you have until April what April twelve, April twelfth, until April twelfth, and we'll link to Aaron's list erin in the morning, and you can still buy Girl Scout cookies from the atreans Girl Scout and send a message.
Speaker 2: Lemonades and thin mints.
Speaker 1: A good one, they're yours. Yes, I love caramel delights.
Speaker 2: I also love those and the.
Speaker 1: Peanut butter one. Yes, the peanut butter sandwich cookies are probably my favorite ist ever. I love those.
Speaker 2: Me too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're all good. Yeah, they'll buy some Girls Cut cookies. Yeah, No, one doesn't like Girl Scout cookies exactly. And I love that this is happening. I love that Aaron Reid keeps doing it. And more than three hundred and thirty thousand, I don't even know what that number is now this is probably a week old, but good on everyone, I'm too lazy to look it up. Moving on. This is out of the New York Times. The New York Attorney General has ordered Nyu Langon to resume youth transgender care.
Speaker 2: Yeh good, good good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because Nyu was the latest among many who were willing to capitulate to Trump's whims that have no basis in science or reality. And they close their transgender youth health program, jeopardizing the life and well being of many children because the federal government threatened to pull federal funding from hospitals that provided gender transition treatments for adolescens. Yeah. However, in a letter to the hospital as, a senior official in the Attorney General's office raised the question of whether n Yu Langoun's action violated New York's anti discrimination laws by barring a single category of patients from receiving medications that others could access. That official, Darsana Srinivasan, oh, thank you. Who leads the office's healthcare bureau, wrote in the letter that puberty blockers and hormone treatments remained available to pediatric patients who were not transgender. Uh huh. New York state laws prohibit discrimination based on a patient's membership and a protected class, she wrote. The letter states that the Attorney General's Office had received several complaints from patients and their families regarding this decision. You are hereby advised to immediately resume all service office rings as they had before the change in policy, and to make medically necessary puberty blocking medications and hormone therapies available for patients under nineteen who are diagnosed with gender dysphoria. It say February twenty fifth letter. It was addressed to Nyu Langun's top lawyer, and it instructs the hospital to notify the Attorney General's Office that it had complied within ten days work. Yeah, of course, my lingoon declined to comment.
Speaker 2: Shocker.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is the office, of course of Letitia James, the Attorney General.
Speaker 3: Ha.
Speaker 1: I know who is another black woman I am in love with?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: Who ain't afraidio?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: It left them in a difficult position. Of course, you know, this is an ugly mess of things, but it's healthcare. It's healthcare, and I'm like you, lingo. And of course hosts Nancy Wristbondlanger, who is one of you know, the East Coast premiere gender firm insurgents. Not for children, of course, but you know, are you gonna what stop treating all of us?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 1: Where's she going?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 1: I don't know. We're going to follow this. We'll see what happens next, and of course we'll talk about it. But that was good news that there was a swift response that said, knock it off, stop complying in advance, because they're responding to a threat. It hasn't happened. And even if it does happen, you know, then shine the light on that they are willing to They're willing to fuck with cancer research. They've done it. They're willing to screw with anyone who doesn't feed their their ridiculous ideology. And yet they call us the ones that haven't I a gender ideology? What the is gender ideology?
Speaker 2: By the way, good ass question? What is that I've been wondering this whole time? What is it?
Speaker 1: Y'all? Have an ideology that says I don't deserve to live. My ideology is I'd like to live. Is that gender ideology? I don't know.
Speaker 2: That's not so much an ideology is just self preservation.
Speaker 1: Right, Like what you know, water's wet, Some kids are trans, some kids are queer, and those who cannot accept themselves should shut the fuck up and sit down. Seems clear to me.
Speaker 2: Right, And as my father used to always say, self preservation is the first law of nature.
Speaker 1: So I'm just saying though, you know, like, what what the fuck? What the fuck the ideology? And that's the problem with right now is the words mean nothing, you know, right, they keep lobbing them at us as weapons, the opposite of what they actually mean. Well, they do, like the pedophile thing, exactly what they accuse right us of doing. Ironies apparently still alive and well, because alive and kicking, let's talk about all the pedophiles. Yeah, there is a pedophile ring running the world. They're just not democrats. Nope, So yeah, let's deal with that. Moving on, We're going to follow that story though and see where it lands. Okay, there was an unexpected announcement that took center stage at the gala that celebrated the fiftieth anniversary of Philadelphia Gay News. You were honored at the forty ninth I well, I yes. As on their march up to their fiftieth anniversary in twenty twenty five, they did name the forty nine most influential leaders within the LGBTQ plus community, and I was in fact one of them.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: Anyway, they had their fiftieth anniversary gala. There is millions of dollars in funding from state and local governments on their way to benefit the Community Center and the Attic Youth Center. Not sure how they reimagine that, but they did. It's important that we continue to make forward progress, not just to stand up against the bullies, not just to fight back against the insensitivity of those who would want to whitewash our shared history, said Josh Shapiro, but rather to continue to play offense and make progress, to remember our values and live up to the vision that others have fought to create for us. The Shapiro administration has committed two million dollars toward the renovation of the Wayamway Center in Philadelphia. They will apparently remain at thirteen fifteen Spruce Street, where they have been since night ninety six. Mark Siegel said during his remarks that it will be a brand new building, larger than it is now, with forty new LGBTQ plus friendly affordable housing units for seniorears. So another iteration of the John C. Anderson apartments right above the community Center. It is estimated that there will be fifty percent more usable and accessible space with the new building. So they are tearing down a historic building to build this new building. That seems clear, even though a lot of it was ambiguous. Because I have been talking to some Philly folks about this whole thing.
Speaker 2: I know it felt like the story kept changing.
Speaker 1: Well, it does keep changing. Yeah, it's still not crystal clear. There's still some mudd in here.
Speaker 2: It's for sale, it's not it's moving, it's not right.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Anyway, for the last year, very quietly, a whole group of people have been working underground. Right now. I want to thank you all for being very quiet while we've been doing it, Siegel said as he recognized co collaborators including Judge Dan Anders, Senator Nikhil Saval, Representative Ben Waxman, and councilmember Mark Squilla, as well as Dave Hooting and Laura Ryan, co chairs of the William Way Center. About a year and a half ago, we've realized our community center was in disarray, to say the least, and we wanted to do something about it, Siegel said. So, thanks to the gentlemen and women I just mentioned, we are now on the ground floor of reinventing the William Way Community Center. This has been all over the damn map, it's been. It's been a bunch of this and then the other thing. They lost their funding that was supposed to be coming through the federal government.
Speaker 2: They lost their programming. Oh look they have new programs. Oh wait, when does that happen again?
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly all of that. You know. There was a twenty twenty two design that had a whole plan to it, but again that did not come to truition. The campaign did not and could not meet its funding goals. It increased costs for repairs, made the dream feel unattainable. Yeah. So anyway, one of the co chairs said, we hope in the future, as a community, we can use this opportunity to build each other up. In a very diverse community. We are stronger together. That would be nice, That would be nice, wouldn't it, Because you've got people running their mouths who on your behalf who do not speak in that regard. Good to see it happen. If it happens, it has been chaotic. But you know, I like that the announcement came. I like that Dan Andrews is involved. I like that the governor spoke because that tells me that maybe we're finally onto something that will happen. And Philadelphia certainly deserves a community center and most importantly, those archives need to be preserved.
Speaker 2: Correct.
Speaker 1: Yeah, many community members, of course don't want to see the building come down. They were previously concerned about a possible loss of the Pride and Progress mural, which is on the side of that building and depicts our LGBTQ plus history and Joey the property staying within the care of the queer community, and final details about the design will allegedly be decided with community input. We're going to see, We're going to see what comes next. And there is a second new partner, Help Development Corporation, and nonprofit developer that focuses solely on affordable housing, which has completed projects in Philadelphia. Help Development Corporation has also finished a project that serves as a model for the new building, a Pride House in New York City which features more than eighty LGBTQ plus friendly residential units, sage offices, and a rooftop community center. The money will come from various sources, including funds already earmarked to the Center for previous renovation plans, plus other state and local resources such as housing tax credits. We're going to see, We're going to see how this Some of the money could be coming from Mayor Cherrell parkers to billion dollar housing initiative.
Speaker 2: I think it should.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think so too. She hopes to deliver thirty thousand affordable housing units over the next four years. So she did say at the gala that the City of Philadelphia is in full support of the building project. Cool the building has been closed or semi closed. There has been very little staff doing any damn thing. Yep, it's been a mess, and I guess we'll see what happens. Governor Shapiro also committed to investing two and a half million dollars to the Attic Youth Center, which provides a gathering place, counseling and organized activities, life skills programming, and other resources to young people fourteen to twenty three in the Philadelphia area, and you were one of those beneficiaries as a young person. The money is to help the Attics serve more of our use and expand their impact all across Pennsylvania. The new executive director, Jasper Liam of the Attic Youth Center said the organization is not ready to make announcements about the funding. Their fiftieth anniversary is certainly news, and they made some news with these announcements, and I thought we should put them here in good news because indeed, if it happens, there's been a lot of bits and starts here, and yeah, precarious involved, but if it does happen, that'd be great.
Speaker 2: It would be great, It really would.
Speaker 1: The Philly Pride Visitor Center so opened its doors ahead of America's two hundred and fiftieth anniversary.
Speaker 2: And it was a big to do.
Speaker 1: It was a big to do. Philly Pride Visitors Center is on Locust Street, just off of twelve, so it's it's knocks back room basically.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just past the restaurant was the back room where the piano sat, and they rented that section out to become the Visitor Center.
Speaker 2: And that's kind of awesome, how about that.
Speaker 1: Yeah. It is a partnership between the Philadelphia Visitor Center, Visit Philadelphia, Visit PA, and Philadelphia Gay News. It is designed to serve as both a welcoming hub for LGBTQ plus travelers and a gateway to the community's history in a city where much of that history began. So it's cool it happened there was a ribbon cutting. Governor Shapiro against that. At a time when other states are walking away from their LGBTQ plus community, we are walking toward it. Pennsylvania is a place that is warm and welcoming for all.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And I was watching all the videos and things on social media from the ribbon cutting, and it looked like everyone was there. Yeah, it was very cool. A lot of people we know.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, there's not really much more to say. It's open Thursday through Monday from noon to six pm. Here you go, and when you're there and stop and have a drink or lunch or dinner at Knock, which is right next door. Right with all the ugliness happening everywhere else, I love seeing that Philadelphia is still supporting and moving forward.
Speaker 2: Agreed.
Speaker 1: This next one. I think you shared.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's a gay activist who wants to put up cameras for twenty four hour surveillance of the Stonewall Monuments.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: The campaign comes after the National Park Service remove the monument's pride flag in the dead of night. Last month. Michael Petrellis, an LGBTQ activist and co founding member of Act Up, launched a GoFundMe campaign for the project, wanting to raise funds for cameras to monitor the pride flag at the Stonewall National Monument. They're looking to raise five thousand dollars to purchase five cameras that are cost of one thousand dollars each and to cover the streaming costs. The cameras, he says, will be installed on private homes and small businesses around Christopher Park, a small park adjacent to the Stonewall Inn in New York Sprettage Village.
Speaker 1: He said the recent removal of the Progress pride flag at the Stonewall National Monument happened without a single private camp focused on the flagpole. His goal is to install cameras to monitor the flagpole itself as well as the entrances to Christopher Park twenty four hours a day. That way, all future visits to Christopher Park, which comprises the heart of the monument, by any federal worker, will be recorded on video that we control.
Speaker 2: Good.
Speaker 1: None of the cameras will be installed on federal land. This way, the community always controls the streaming. Nice, according to the campaign. According to the Advocate, the owners of the stonewall in which sits right across the street from the monument and as privately owned, have not commented on the campaign or indicated whether they would allow a camera to be installed on their property. There is a GoFundMe involved in the plan. I think they're about halfway there, right, I mean, if they're going to do this kind of shit and desecrate our park, like, we'll have one film that part, we can share it. So New Jersey wants comps to undergo personal biased reviews every five years.
Speaker 2: Sounds good to me.
Speaker 1: Uh yeah, it really does, I say. This was published on March the fourth in Short News. I stayed out of the comment section of this one.
Speaker 2: Oh it's best that you do, I'm guessing.
Speaker 1: Sender. Angela McKnight's proposal aims to identify extremist ties and prevent discriminatory policing. A new bill in the New Jersey Senate would require all state, county, and municipal police departments to regularly vet law enforcement officers for signs of personal bias or extremist affiliations, part of a growing statewide push to strengthen accountability and rebuild public trust in policing. Uh huh, I like it sounds good to be is Senate Bill s one seven nine four. It mandates a personal bias review for all law enforcement officers at hiring and every five years thereafter. It includes social media reviews and a professionally developed test designed to detect explicit and implicit bias. The Attorney General would issue statewide guidelines to implement and enforce the program.
Speaker 2: Hopefully that becomes a national model.
Speaker 1: YEAH screenings would include a review of all publicly accessible information, including social media posts or other online activity, to identify potential bias, prejudice, or links to extremist groups, and the administration of a bias identification test YEAH. The proposal seeks to ensure that officers with potential extremist sympathies or discriminate to weary views are identified early and evaluated before such beliefs influence their professional conduct. I'm just going to point out that a lot of Proud Boys are also law enforcement offices yep, at least in this nation, yep. And that is what this legislation seeks to, you know, avoid How.
Speaker 2: Come you never see the cops showing up to break up Proud Boys.
Speaker 1: Rally because they're busy in their man.
Speaker 2: For the same reason you never see Clark Kenton Superman in the same place at the same time.
Speaker 1: Pretty much, I don't I don't think this is unreasonable. Well right, I mean, you know, I'm sure we could argue that this will just make them more stealth and more cautious. But you know what, good, good good.
Speaker 2: They've been at to be too free and easy with their bullshit.
Speaker 1: Seriously seriously, and we should not be paying for their protection when they're only protecting some of us, right, and certain ideas, and not others.
Speaker 2: Because if you're only going to protect some of us, then only some of us should have to pay taxes.
Speaker 1: Well, right, I mean shit right, I think there's a swath of us that shouldn't have to pay taxes now and for the next fifty years, because what is that about? No taxation without representation. Well thank you anyway. What the hell is going on with Billy Porter?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, Billy Porter. So the headline reads this from out Billy Porter says he's a walking miracle after being dead for three days? All right, what is he?
Speaker 1: Jesus No, he's dead for three days.
Speaker 2: He was suffering from sepsis, Like very seriously, this has been an ongoing thing for him.
Speaker 1: Okay, so was he in like a medically induced coma.
Speaker 2: The Post star appeared on an episode of Outlaws with Ts Madison on March fourth. Okay, shit, I'm sure that is. I'm gonna check that one out, where he explained how a terrifying bout of sepsis nearly ended his life and forced him to bow out of his role in Cabaret at the Kitcat Club in September twenty twenty five. I remember this. I knew that I checked myself into the hospital, which is Tuesday night, because I'm in so much pain. I woke up on Saturday night, he remembered. Porter went to the hospital for a quote routine check to remove a kidney stone trapped in his urethra, but it turned out that his medical condition was much more serious than he initially thought. When they got in there, there was so much poss and bile and infection behind the stone. He said, it bubbled up and I went eurosceptic in minutes. According to the Cleveland Clinic, eurocepsis is a life threatening type of sepsis that begins in your urinary tract and happens when a urinary tract infection goes untreated and spreads to your kidneys.
Speaker 1: Oof, I was on the EKMA machine.
Speaker 2: Uh huh?
Speaker 1: I was dead for three days.
Speaker 2: Say?
Speaker 1: The ekm MA is the machine that breathes for you.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: It's a type of life support that pumps blood outside of the body.
Speaker 2: Yes, Achimo, extra corporeal membrane oxygenation.
Speaker 1: Yes to a heart lung machine that removes carbon dioxide and sends oxygen rich blood back into the body. And often, as I'm as I'm watching more and more of Chicago med, some folks never get off of achima once. Right, Okay, So that is what he means by being dead for three days, a machine was doing the breathing and the heart beating.
Speaker 2: The fifty six year old actor added that while he was comatose, he developed compartment syndrome where the muscles are deprived of oxygen, and the doctors had to quote cut him open on either side of his leg from his knee to his hip. Yes, and leave it open for two days so that they could save his leg.
Speaker 1: Yes, I've heard of this. Yes again, Chicago man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was dead for three days. I'm a miracle. I'm a walking miracle. Looking back on the life threatening experience, Porter said, I am so grateful to be here. It is such a gift.
Speaker 1: I love that. I love that he is still with us, of course, yes, and that he survived that. That that was some very serious stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was some very serious stuff.
Speaker 2: And everyone knows my my personal love for Billy Porter. So I am so glad to hear that he is on the road to full recovery.
Speaker 1: You're not kidding. That is good news. It is that he is doing well. Uh and may he live long and prosper. Yes, lord, mm hmmm, it's time yay for that favorite segment we like to call.
Speaker 4: Employ people taking pleasure and nine.
Speaker 2: GoAhead and.
Speaker 1: So Pam bondy uh huh.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, the House Oversight Committee voted to subpoena the Attorney General to testify about the Justice Department's handling of the case against Jeffrey Epstein and the release of its files on the matter. The twenty four to nineteen vote by the Republican led panel to force a Cabinet member to testify was a rebuke to the Trump administration.
Speaker 2: Get thee behind me, and not in the way you like.
Speaker 1: Uh huh.
Speaker 3: Huh.
Speaker 1: Over the objection of the Republican chairman of the committee, Representative James Comer of Kentucky, five Republicans on the Oversight Committee joined Democrats to force approval of the subpoena, which was introduced actually by Nancy Mace. Lord, you know, I don't just my head spinds these days. She offered to Bondi offered to brief members of the House Oversight Committee on the Justice Department's handling of its investigative material. That wasn't enough. They moved to force the committee to subpoena Bondi. And yeah, she don't have to testify, And I like it. I like it right right, twenty four to nineteen. It's a rebuke against the Trump administration by members of his own party at a time when the Republican control of Congress has generally marched in lockstep with him. Also the second time in the past year that Republican members of the Oversight Committee, the House's chief investigative panel, have cross party lines to force action around Epstein. Graced financier who died in federal custody in twenty nineteen, not by citizen, while facing sex trafficking charges.
Speaker 4: I like it.
Speaker 1: It's some accountability. And weren't they supposed to have this shit to us well before?
Speaker 2: Now? Oh?
Speaker 1: Hell, yeah right, and they just haven't. So good good. A little accountability among this party is something, right.
Speaker 2: It goes a long way, but not far. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So she thought, you know that this was a never ending gravy chain and no one would, you know, hold her to task and she has been and she's yeah, she got a test by Andrews so good.
Speaker 2: Good.
Speaker 1: I hope it's uncomfortable as hell. Also, Trump fired Christy Noom as the DHS.
Speaker 2: Naming.
Speaker 1: I mean it's it doesn't get better from here because he named Mark Wayne Mullin to replace her. So one joke is replacing another joke. But she out as Homeland Security Secretary.
Speaker 3: She's out.
Speaker 1: She will be moving to be special on voided for whatever the fuck the Shield of the Americas.
Speaker 2: Their new security they just be making it up.
Speaker 1: Is whatever that is, which no one knows she will be involved. She's the first Cabinet secretary to leave the Trump administration in the second term. The announcement comes Afternoons spent two days being grilled by lawmakers in Congress over her leadership. Uh huh mullin, Oh god is a MAGA warrior and former undefeated professional MMA fighter.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so he's a thick necked over testosterone fool.
Speaker 1: Yeah. He highlighted Mellan's position as the only Native American in the Senate. Native American friends have been saying that's fake news too, so I don't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, really, come on now, I don't know about that.
Speaker 1: But whatever, he was a wrestler or whatever the fuck you MMA sing whatever.
Speaker 2: Anyway that means you can punch and kick to the head.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they've replaced one idiot with another. I'm not sure that things are going to get any better, but it's so good to see Hargo, it really is. Yeah, and may she live the life she richly deserves.
Speaker 2: Or as I said to someone today that has to involve us, I hope you enjoy the life you deserve, and I hope that it is long.
Speaker 1: Right, right. I just hope, you know, what she's done to this country maybe gets she enjoys herself. She has faced bipartisan criticism over her quote unquote leadership of the immigration enforcement surge in Minneapolis that was her, where she deployed three thousand officers and two US citizens were killed by said officers. Some of the loudest voices on the right for her resignation have come from Senators Tom Tillis of North Carolina, not running for reelection, and Lisa Murkowski of Alaska. Other Republicans have denounced non after she referred to thirty seven year old Alex Pretty shot by two border patrol agents as a domestic terrorist. Yeah, before any investigation had even begun. That's who this.
Speaker 2: Lady is. You are right, You need an ask.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know what, whether he gives her some other thing to do or not, this is a public humiliation she richly, richly deserves and has earned. Yeah, and it's only been a matter of time. He loves to fire people, and as his numbers plummet, he's look for more, more and more folks to be filed. And we're going to keep shuffling idiots. Yep, I would say, on a chessboard, But there's no chessboard involved.
Speaker 2: In any of those. Please, it ain't that deep. Folks barely checkers anyway.
Speaker 1: Both of them are feeling a little uncomfortable tonight, which I find to be a sweet example of.
Speaker 4: Employ people taking pleasure.
Speaker 1: Name Yeah, do you have a fifteen minute fave I do for this first episode of season five?
Speaker 2: I do?
Speaker 1: Okay, I hope it measures up.
Speaker 2: What is it? So? This is actually a fun song that I discovered while I was driving to work listening to music that I asked Siri to play that I would like. Okay, And the song is called de e eight and it is by Madeline. And the point of the song is that we need to spend less time in our heads on our phones criticizing ourselves, in more time living because there is going to come a time when we're dead, that is true, totally dead. Yeah, so we should spend the time that we have actually living our.
Speaker 1: Lives, all right, their I love that idea. Yeah, all right, So let's go out to the break.
Speaker 2: With dead or Dead by mad Line right past.
Speaker 4: Today is today, and I don't feel so great, the blood starts draining from our face, the moment that I start to think about all the things that but then a simple face comes to luck makes it all feel better, Oh so much better.
Speaker 1: Some damn gonna be dead, so dead.
Speaker 4: Time to get out of my head worry just a little bit.
Speaker 2: Less damn gonna be dead, so dead.
Speaker 4: Time for me to get out of better and face the existential dread.
Speaker 2: What do do do? Do do do?
Speaker 1: Do?
Speaker 4: Doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo. I feel like nothing I'm.
Speaker 2: Doing is right.
Speaker 4: I feel like lately I'm wasting my life because I got no direction.
Speaker 2: Always I can guessing. Every day I waste a.
Speaker 4: Little more time. Maybe at the moment is coming, it's gone and everybody is moving on. I can't stop obsessing. I'm living with attention, which could be what.
Speaker 1: No, And we're back.
Speaker 2: We're back.
Speaker 1: We're going to try to plow through this as quickly as possible. Yippie kaya, it is time. It was a cavalcade of nonsense since we last recorded. Of course, Kansas has lost its ever loving, motherfucking mind right, and the state legislature, with nothing better to do, and nothing else to focus on, decided to take away the driver's license of every trans citizen in Kansas. The ACLU, of course, immediately filed suit. Jesus Christ, I know they will do anything but actually hold their pedophiles to account. They will do anything but actually put themselves in check and admit we're not the problem, right, so you know, and yet another attempt to dehumanize trans people, which is in Kansas. I believe it's seventeen eighteen hundred people who are affected. Let's see, there's so much wrong with this whole story. Yeah, trans residents across Kansas were receiving letters demanding the immediate surrender of the driver's licenses, triggered by a new law that had just gone into effect House substitute for Senate Bill two forty four, which immediately invalidated driver's licenses for transgender people and enacted what may be the harshest bathroom ban in the nation. The law and the speed at which it began impacting people left transgender Kansas scrambling and stunned commentators who were unaware of the serious escalation targeting transgender people in state. The ACLU has filed a lawsuit in Kansas State Court to block the law. If successful, the challenge could buy trans residents time to see the law overturned altogether. The lawsuit is Doe versus State of Kansas, and it was filed on February twenty seventh District Court of Douglas County by the ACLU of Kansas and others, along with to anonymous plaintiffs referred to as Daniel Doe and Matthew mo Cute, both transgender men living in Lawrence, Kansas. The complaint challenges a s B two four four on six grounds under the Kansas Constitution, alleging violations of due process, the personal autonomy, informational privacy, equal protection, freedom of expression, and the state's single subject rule. The plaintiffs are seeking a temporary restraining order to block the law immediately following a permanent injunction. The lawsuit challenges SB two forty four, which was rushed through the Kansas legislature in January. The governor vetoed the bill, of course, but the legislature overrode her veto five days later. The law is sweeping in its impact on trans people. It retroactively invalidates driver's licenses that display a gender marker reflecting a transgender person's gender identity, ordering the State Division of Vehicles to demand their surrender, which appears to have occurred on Wednesday as thousands of transgender thousands. I thought it was only seventeen hundred. I thought transgenders outgout letters demanding just that. It also bans trans people from using restrooms that match their gender identity in government buildings, a category that extends to libraries, courthouses, state parks, hospitals, and interstate rest stops, with criminal penalties including jail time. And most significantly, the bill creates a private bathroom bounty hunter provision this fucking thing, yeah, allowing anyone encountering a transgender person in a restroom, including potentially in private businesses, to sue them for large amounts of money.
Speaker 2: Sue them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, and of course without ID. I'm I'm sure we know that this would mean that those folks can't vote either, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which is really what it's about.
Speaker 1: Well, I don't think it's fair to say this is really about one thing at this point. It's really about cruelty turtles. Well, yeah, dehumanization and cruelty. That's a gift. Side effect is not being able to vote, humiliating us in bathrooms, humiliating us by taking our driver's licenses. That's more the immediate point. It is notable that the lawsuit was filed in state court, not federal court. The United States Supreme Court has grown increasingly hostile to trans rights, allowing the Trump administrations transgender passport restrictions and state gender affirming care bands to go into effect. Filing under the Kansas constitution rather than the federal one, insulates this challenge from federal review entirely. The Kansas Supreme Court, which is likely to eventually hear the case, holds a comfortable liberal majority and has repeatedly ruled against Attorney General Kobac, who has publicly complained that the court's composition makes it very difficult for him to win cases. There is more than one way to skin a cat that wark. The state courts strategy also follows a path that has already produced results for trans people in other red states. In Montana, for instance, state courts have blocked a transgender youth healthcare ban, struck down a bathroom band, and ordered the state to issue accurate driver's licenses to transgender residents as federal cour it's become less hospitable. States constitutions may increasingly become the last line of defense. Sad but true. Yeah, trans Kanson's face a difficult choice. They can surrender their driver's licenses immediately and comply with the law, where they can hold onto them and hope that the court enjoins the state from enforcing this bullshit before they get pulled over. Driving on a revoked license carries criminal penalties, a Class B misdemeanor, punishable by up to six months in jail and one thousand dollars fine.
Speaker 2: But what if you don't have like what if you haven't undergone your name change or anything, so there's nothing conflicting on your driver's.
Speaker 1: License, then they weren't notified. They only notified the people they identify and know as trans because they've changed a gender marker in the past or their name in the past. Okay, and this tells us they are trying to track us in Kansas. If you have not changed anything, you didn't get a letter because as far as Kansas knows, you're still birth name, birth gender, so you didn't get a letter. But if like me, you've corrected it all in Kansas, I would not have a driver's license today, it would have been I would have gotten a letter that's fucking insane, thank you, punishable by up to six months in jail and one thousand dollars fine, and Kansas already requires county jails to house inmates according to sex assigned at a birth. Of course, surrendering a license may complicate their ability to obtain relief should a temporary restraining what are be issued. Numerous transgender residents have reported that they are considering leaving the state altogether, though for many that is not an option. For now, all eyes are on the Douglas County District. Mm hmmm.
Speaker 2: Chilling.
Speaker 1: It is chilling. It is chilling. It is completely unnecessary. It accomplishes absolutely nothing but the dehumanization of trans people. That is it, period, That's its only point. This doesn't protect anyone, This doesn't help anyone, This doesn't save anyone, and it spends taxpayer money again and again and again for no good goddamn reason. While Johnny still can't read YEP next, Texas Attorney General that ever love an ass hat, Ken Paxton says a ban on gender affirming care for trans kids also applies to talk therapy now we're not even allowed to talk to them about transition. This has no end people. Mental health care providers in Texas risk their license if they deliver care related to transitioning to miners, which I've done, by the way here in New Jersey, I've already done this. I would loose anyway. The Republican Attorney General who is running for US Senate. I hope Texans aren't that stupid, but the track record says otherwise. The day before the March third Republican primary, in which he faced incumbent Senator John Cornyn and Wesley Hunt, with neither candidate reaching the fifty percent threshold needed to avoid a May runoff, Paxston issued a letter with a legal opinion that a twenty twenty three state law barring physicians from providing gender affirming care to miners also applies to anyone licensed by the Texas Behavioral Health Executive Council. While focusing on medical procedures related to transitioning a child's biological sect, Paxton, in his opinion, you know, and I did read some of the Commons section and it said Kenny, say yes to the dress already.
Speaker 3: Oh, just saying in his.
Speaker 1: Opinion, wrote Vigel law impacts all healthcare providers in Texes. That includes psychologists, family therapists, and many social workers. That puts Paxton directly at odds with every major US medical and mental health organization. The American Medical Association has warned that state bans on transition related care represent a dangerous intrusion into medical practice and its guidance explode. Sittley includes mental health counseling and psychological support as part of gender affirming care for transgender and non binary minors. A recent Trevor Project study found that suicide attempt traits among transgender and non binary young people ages thirteen to twenty four rose by thirty eight percent to forty four percent, with the sharpest increase ranging from seven percent to seventy two percent among those under eighteen. The American Academy of Pediatrics, the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, and the American Psychological Association similarly described gender affirming care as encompassing talk therapy, family counseling, and support for social transition, and distinguish that support of care sharply from conversion therapy, which obviously this Jackal advocates, which all major professional association have condemned as harmful. It isn't just benign, It isn't just entirely one ineffective. It's dangerous. It doesn't work, it's harmful.
Speaker 2: Never has we know this, never will.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so this happened when Darryl Spink's executive director of the Texas Behavioral Health Executive Council, sought clarification on whether these providers, mental health providers, behavioral health providers would be impacted, and this was the answer. Yeah, that's what's happening in Texas. Paxton wrote that any mental health provider delivering care related to transitioning risked their medical license in Texas, and institutions could lose Medicaid reimbursements and public funding for providing proper care. You hear that providing even.
Speaker 2: Care?
Speaker 1: Yeah, doing what's right is against the law in Texas. Any radical, you're the radical, you motherfucker, facilitating the transitioning of our kids is committing child abuse. No, sir, you have been committing child abuse in Texas for quite some time now. The law has made it clear that these radical procedures there aren't any happening, are illegal and in no world should Texans tax dollars be used to permanently harm children, except that's exactly what you're doing. You are permanently harming these children and their families, and they are escaping Texas as fast as they possibly fucking can. And I guess that's what you want till the next crop of trans Texans are born, right, because they will be you, Jackal. Yeah, so that happened. That happened, ken packs and this tripling down. So I want to point out this next piece is from People magazine. Okay. The headline reads, oh boy, Trump says, I guess Americans should worry about Iran retaliating on US soil. Like I said, some people will die, People Magazine. This is when Trump was questioned about the unfolding war with Iran for a Time cover story. I guess he reiterated that lives will be lost amid the unfolding military conflict with Iran. In this new cover story for Time. Asked whether Americans should worry about being attacked on US soil, he acknowledged the possibility, saying I guess. The remarks came days after six US service members were killed in a retaliatory drone strike abroad. How about it.
Speaker 2: That is not the answer a president gives to a question.
Speaker 1: Well, this is not a president. This is a charlatan, This is a grifter, This is a convicted felon. This is a pedophile who has openly told us all he wanted to fuck his own daughter. You know, the fact that.
Speaker 2: They didn't have pineapple lemonade. Will strawberry lemonade work? I guess that's the level of question you're supposed to answer that way.
Speaker 1: More than a thousand people total or believe, dead as of Wednesday, March fourth, as a result of the conflict in the Middle East, which is also of course impacting surrounding nations.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're out of spaghetti tonight, Are you okay with linguini? I guess not.
Speaker 1: Correct. God knows how long this this mess will last. Again, this happened without you know, Congress is supposed to be able to declare war. Apparently they had no part in this conversation. And yeah, I guess, I guess. And that's how much forethought goes into what this president does. And yet where is Congress? Where are they? They're busy trying to pass anti trans laws, so you don't notice that they diddle children how about it.
Speaker 2: Another little piece of my soul just shriveled up, died and fell off. I just felt it go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, speaking of shriveled pieces of one soul, Shilahbaff blames recent anti gay assaults and fear of big gay people. He seems to evoke the gay panic events to excuse him actions. In a recent interview following his recent arrest for battery, he cited his fear of big gay people as part of the reason for his actions. Let's see. He addressed his behavior, which he described as bullshit during New Orleans' Martigorols festivals last month. He was arrested and charged with simple battery in the early hours of February seventeenth, after allegedly assaulting two men at a bar in New Orleans' Marginie District. An initial police report indicated that he repeatedly referred to the victims as faggots. Both victims, at least one of whom identifies as squeer, alleged that Lebouff shouted the anti gay slur at them, and self phoned video recorded by one of them reportedly confirms that Laboff continued to shout the slur while in police custody. Police subsequently issued a warrant for his arrest again last week for headbutting a third man and insulting him with anti gay slers at the same bar on February seventeenth. In a statement, the actor's lawyers said he turned himself in to New Orleans police, according to a local NBC affiliate, The Hollywood Reporter also published a report in which multiple employees of bars across the city described Labuff's drunken and belligerent behavior in the days leading up to Mardi Gras. But in his interview with Channel five, Laboff, who has spoken about his history of substance abuse and has been arrested multiple times for similar conduct, told host Andrew Callaghan that he does not believe he needs to go to rehab. Instead, he blamed his behavior on what he described as a small man complex. I think it's something that has to do with anger an ego more so than my drinking, he said. I'll be honest with you, big gay people are scary to me. The actor admitted, um, oh, you little sowd off piece of bitch. When I'm standing like standing by myself and three gay dudes are next to me, touching my leg. I get scared, bitch, is what happens in a crowded club. I'm sorry. If that's homophobic, then I'm that Labouf.
Speaker 2: I just want to point out his last name literally is French for the beef.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm good with gay, The actor continued, be gay over there, though, don't be gay in my lap, In my motherfucking lap, bitch.
Speaker 2: You were standing in a crowded room. People are gonna touch you.
Speaker 1: Staff at the New Orleans bar attempted to eject the actor after he became increasingly aggressive to be allegedly punched the victim. After being removed from the bar, he then left the scene, but returned, acting even more aggressive. He came back. Multiple people attempted to hold him down. He was eventually let up in hopes that he would leave, but he reportedly again struck the same victim with closed fists to the victim's upper body. He then reportedly assaulted another person, punching him in the nose. Police said, La Buff was again held down until police arrived. The statement does not mention any person touching him inappropriately prior to the assaults. Yeah, these claims may indicate his defense strategy. Louisiana is one of thirty US states in which the gay and trans panic defense is still allowed in court of the.
Speaker 2: Go Can I please play Alexander Billing's response, please? Pretty please?
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's do that because that's fun.
Speaker 2: Yes. She played a clip of his little interview, and then she rebutted, I'll be honest with you, big gay people are scary to me.
Speaker 3: What do you mean when I'm like standing by myself and three gay dudes are.
Speaker 2: Next to me touching my leg, I get scared.
Speaker 4: Girl.
Speaker 1: No one wants you. No one wants you. You look like a poppered out Chihuahua who's eating way too much ass. If you were standing around holding in your hand the cure to every single terminal illness on the planet, and the only thing anyone had to do to get those cures was touch your dick, everyone would be dead.
Speaker 2: If you had a nineteen eighties orgy, you'd still be in the big pile.
Speaker 1: Now were tons of cocaine pouring out of your asshole at an alarming rate. No one would sniff you.
Speaker 3: No one wants you.
Speaker 1: Okay, get yourself to an AA meeting and shuck a fuck up.
Speaker 2: I love her and she speaks for all of us.
Speaker 1: I think she does. I think she does.
Speaker 2: That was the best part about the story.
Speaker 1: Was let's always look to the response. Yes, no one would sniff you.
Speaker 2: No if you were in a nineteen eighties or still be in the big pile. Wow, my girl has the gift for the turn of phrase.
Speaker 3: She really does.
Speaker 1: And every now and then, like she'll let them pile up a bit, but she will post her responses to folks and it's hilarious. It is hilarious. Alexandra Billings, thank you.
Speaker 2: She is so talented at reading. She should host Reading Rainbow.
Speaker 1: She really should.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: Oh and more news of white dude nonsense. Joe Rogan calls trans people perverts and spreads school shooting lies on his show Imagine That.
Speaker 2: Yes, the reason why podcasters can't have nice things Joe Rogan Yes.
Speaker 1: Uh huh yeah, like death and taxes. The Joe Rogan Experience podcast is a painful and inescapable part of modern life chow for transgender people. Rogan is downright malicious.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: This week was no different, as he spouted anti transmiths and vitriol during his sit down with Jackass comedian Steve Oh.
Speaker 2: Oh God, surprise, surprise. Huh. That motherfucker.
Speaker 1: Was recounting the time he almost got breast implants as the publicity stuff. While grocery shopping, he encountered a transgender cashier, which seemed to inspire a rare moment of sincere reflection and empathy and the stuntman known for leude and outlandish comedy acts.
Speaker 2: I'm glad they put comedy in quotes, because his shit ain't funny.
Speaker 1: They described to me a level of oppression that genuinely fucking broke my heart. Good, Okay, we could have left it there, he said of his talk with a transperson. They said, hey, let me tell you, like I am not allowed to use the bathroom at my own place of work. Rogan immediately cut him off, launching full throttle into a rant where he boosted the lie that trans women are largely perverts putting on an elaborate charade to gain access to women's spaces, or that they are men who fetishize femininity. I genuinely think there's people that feel like they are in the wrong biological sex, right, Brogan said. Then he continued, but there's also people that are fucking perverts, and they have a thing called auto gaynophilia, which is another one of those Republican buzzwords. And what that is is they get a turn on by pretending to be a woman. They get excited by it, and they want to be around women, and they're creeps, and so you give them a fucking Willy Wonka golden ticket to go into the women's locker room and the women's bathroom and stare at women and pretend you're a woman when you're just a crazy man and you're actually into women. Okay, that's real, two man, Steve O said, adding that trans issues are complex and nuanced. Let's be clear, there is no evidence that trans inclusive bathrooms, changing rooms, or locker rooms lead to increased instances of sexual assault. There is a strong correlation between trans exclusionary policies, sex based segregation, and gendered violence that victimizes trans people and sysgender people alike, and the concept that transgender women are merely carrying out a subversive fetish is empirically false, hateful, and the kind of sentiment that leads to real life violence. This was proven true mere minutes later, as Joe Rogan beat his chest about transgender people, namely trans women quote their entire life, they would get beaten up for that, and now all of a sudden they have to be accepted. The implication, it seems, is that Rogan thinks getting beaten up is an appropriate response to gender variants. Paradoxically, he goes on to say that transgender boys and men should be allowed in the bathroom of their choice because, in his mind, they pose no such threat to others. It's men that are the problem. Rogan says, No one gives a fuck about trans men going into the men's bathroom. Come on in, who cares?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 1: Who cares? Oh, a girl's going to shit next to you? Or what is she going to do? Is she going to pee out of a funnel? What is she going to do? Like, no one's going to get hurt. Rogan also bolsters the dangerous line the trans people are disproportionately violent. The reality trans people, especially trans women, are disproportionately the victims of violent crime, not the perpetrators much of it thanks to people like Joe Rogan. You know the majority of these high school shootings have been transgender people, Rogan asks, which is of course unequivocally false. All right, you convinced me, Steve O finally said, but later in the exchange, which took up at least ten minutes of the show, he also added, my only takeaway from my experience that I was relating to you is that it made me feel compassionate, you know, for just that. Clearly it went away once he was in Joe Rogan's presence. The factorymains God, I love Aaron read that the vast majority of school shootings are cisgender men. Still, this kind of heinous rhetoric spurred rumblings of efforts to strip trans Americans' Second Amendment rights, added AMMO to conversations conservatives who talk about forcibly institutionalizing trans people for being violently ill, and Len's credence, at least in the popular imagination two so far unsuccessful efforts to categorically label trans people domestic terrorists. It is far from the first time Rogan has used his massive influence to attack trans people, from promoting the litter boxes for kids conspiracy to pushing comparisons of transnists to demon possession or being trapped in a cult. Yet in the same breath he says none of this precludes him from being kind to trans people, emphasizing that he has a friend Jim Norton, whose wife is trans and Jim Norton still talks to this asshole. For those who are unfamiliar, Joe Rogan is not just any right wing personality. His influence and rise have been meteoric. In twenty twenty five, The Joe Rogan Experience was the top podcast both in the US and globally number one. In twenty twenty four, it was reported that his show had fourteen point five million followers on Spotify and that he currently has an additional twenty million subscribers on YouTube. Together, that's thirty four point five million combined followers, which means he has more followers on those platforms than most countries have citizens. And that doesn't even scrape the surface of the reach of his social media and viral clips that circulate online.
Speaker 2: It's like he's a virus.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it really is. As of this writing, the Steve O episode of Whopping two point five hours has already surpassed half a million views on YouTube within twenty four hours of being posted, which again does not include all the viewers and listeners who engage with his content on podcast streaming services, or who see his clips circulate on social media. With that kind of re each one can see why some Democrats have eyed the show as a misguided attempt reaching across the aisle. Some Democrats indeed have gone on the podcast, including Bernie Sanders and John Fetterman. Kamala Harris said after her twenty twenty four campaign defeat that she definitely regrets that we didn't do it, but when doing so puts money in the pockets of a man whose business model is dripping with vitriol toward marginalized people. It can also be said that going on the show is tentament to lending your voice, your time, and your views to a man whose hate felt monologues can lead to violence. Ultimately, Steve O didn't go through with his publicity boob job. Part of the medical team backed out, and after the exchange with his cashier, so did Stevo. It's almost as if gender dysphoria is a serious issue, t trans violence is a growing crisis stoked by right wing propaganda, and that medically altering one's body and sex traits is life saving healthcare, not some laughing matter.
Speaker 2: I told you about the time I was in a cab and or an uber and the driver had Joe Rogan's podcast playing, and I gave him one star. And my complaint was the lack of cleanliness of the vehicle because that just dirtied the entire experience. And that's all I'm going to say, because I have nothing else to add to this conversation that does not involved descriptions of swift and creative violence on these two men, and that's not helpful to this conversation. So I'm just not going to say anything.
Speaker 1: Okay, you posted the next story in the note, so I'm gonna let you take it over.
Speaker 2: So Timothy shallowmg uh huh is facing backlash from a little comment he made when he said the backlash is coming from ballet and opera communities after he made a comment that no one cares about ballet and opera h This was during a CNN and Variety town hall event. He was talking to Matthew mcconaugheany, and he said he didn't want theatrical movie going to end up like the ballet or opera where artists wanted to keep this thing alive even though no one cares about it anymore.
Speaker 1: Because he doesn't. So that means no one, right, So he's like a little Joe Rogan.
Speaker 2: What I think is all that he's famous for putting a peach on his dick. Let's just not forget that.
Speaker 1: Was it a peach or a melon?
Speaker 2: No, it was a peach.
Speaker 1: Anyway. London's Royal Ballet and Opera took to Instagram on writing yes to share footage of its craftspeople and performers as an apparent response to Salome.
Speaker 2: Yes. The caption of the post read, every night at the Royal Opera House, thousands of people gather for ballet and opera, for the music, for the storytelling, for the sheer magic of live performance. If you'd like to reconsider Timothy Shallome, our doors are open. And I also look a g I know. The Seattle Opera they had a cute response. They are offering fourteen percent off tickets for its production of Carmen if you use the promo code Timothy. And that's the thing. No one cares about ballet and opera except for all of the people that do. Like, what are you even talking about? Well, he does.
Speaker 1: That's not a part of his world, right, So it's not a part of the world, which is the problem with all of this, right, Yeah, it's like, my boy, I speak for culture, right. He thinks he does because the peach probably right.
Speaker 2: He's the weak link and everything he's in. If he wasn't cute, he wouldn't have a fucking career because he's not that goddamn good of an actor. Oh, I said it, okay.
Speaker 1: He told Matthew McConaughey in his full quote that he sees both sides of the argument about the dwindling popularity of movie theaters. He said, the success of a serious movie like Frankenstein, a serious movie like Frankenstein, the new one, What the fuck is serious about Frankenstein? It's science fiction, isn't it.
Speaker 2: No, Frankenstein is like a dark romantic story and it's about like, okay, but existentialism, and it's not okay, all right, Apparently the new movie was very well done.
Speaker 1: All right, shows that audience. I'm okay, that audience is still crave nuanced storytelling. But at the same time he understands that some people want to be entertained and quickly I'm really right in the middle, Matthew, He said, I admire people, and I've done it myself. Who go on a talk show and go, Hey, we got to keep movie theaters alive, you know, we got to keep this genre alive. And another part of me feels like if people want to see it like Barbie, like Oppenheimer, they're gonna go see it and go out of their way and be loud and proud about it. And I don't want to be working in ballet or opera or things where it's like, hey, keep this thing alive, even though it's like, no one cares about this anymore. All respect to the ballet and opera people out there, I just lost fourteen cents in viewership. Hence the fourteen percent the Seattle Ballet is offering got as a discount? What an idiot? So that made you feel something. Clearly, no one.
Speaker 2: Cares about opera, except for maybe, I don't know Jill Scott, that's what she got her degree in. No one cares about ballet. How many numbers of professional singers that pop, singers that are out right now not only got their start in ballet but incorporated into their performances if it weren't for ballet and opera, Like, if we took that out of the equation, there's so much shit that's in pop culture that we wouldn't even have to enjoy. You don't know what the fuck you're talking about. You sound like an uncultured little dipshit.
Speaker 1: But apparently uncultured dip shary cells.
Speaker 2: I hate it. Here I know, right, and by here, I mean earth.
Speaker 1: I hear you, I hear you. Oh my god, Yeah, so that happened.
Speaker 2: I used to like Timothy Shallimer, I did.
Speaker 1: I could take him or leave him, but I mean he never liked I heard he was the only non creepy Willy Wonka. Well that's how he was described.
Speaker 2: To me, I guess, but he was annoying, okay, like the trailer of his Willy Wonka actively made me not want.
Speaker 1: To see it, and you didn't correct. So there.
Speaker 2: And the fact that I didn't go see it had nothing to do with either ballet or opera. It had to do directly with Timothy Shalomey. So what does that say, sir? How about the next time you have an opinion, you put your dick in a peach and lead the rest of us out of it. Oh on that note, little moppy headed bitch. Anyway, I'm sorry, I mean, I'm not sorry, but.
Speaker 1: I'm going to suggest a break and we will compose ourselves and try to come back and pop culture.
Speaker 3: Okay, we'll be right back, and we are back.
Speaker 2: We're back.
Speaker 1: Stick, You're chicken.
Speaker 2: I meant that ship.
Speaker 1: Oh god, let's go elsewhere. I haven't seen much more than Chicago, mad in between like other stuff that I've been doing, it's just been one in the background. So that's kind of been my week.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: But what's this about lizaan and Elli.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, the GLAD Media Awards, she came out and h and she had a surprise appearance with a fay length of dancers.
Speaker 1: As it says here in the out Dolan dancer. Yeah, at the GLAD Awards.
Speaker 2: The crowd saying happy birthday to her because she's turning eighty next week.
Speaker 1: Damn, or this week. It's close. We're close, yes, damn. Liza's turning eighty.
Speaker 2: Wow, and she's releasing her highly anticipated memoir Kids Wait till you hear this on March tenth, which is, uh.
Speaker 1: Tuesday, Tuesday, yeah, Tuesday, yeah, and two days from right now while we're recording, right mm hmmm.
Speaker 2: Yes, So basically she's just showing, motherfucker she still got it. Oh wow, Well did you hear about how like that appearance that she made at the Oscars with Gaga where she was in the wheelchair, Like the wheelchair was not something that she needed. It was like she was put into it by the people behind stage, like and that's part of her confusion because she didn't know what the hell was going on there, like here, sit in this chair, you don't go out or some shit.
Speaker 1: Okay, Yeah, so she wasn't in it, no for the glad words. Uh uh, I'm good, good, I'm glad, I'm glad.
Speaker 2: Was she wanted to be in Like apparently she has this like just bejeweled throne she likes to sit in these days, because she was honored on one of the recent seasons of Drag Race, and she was like just lounging in this huge like throne and like just kicking her legs up and telling her story. And I'm like, and this was around the same time, so I'm like, how would go from that to that?
Speaker 1: So it's right, she didn't need to be which I didn't assume it was a permanent situation because I had heard nothing. I thought maybe it was needed that night, right, And apparently it wasn't even that and then the problem is, you know, is there something she doesn't want to talk about. That's that's the other thing that some of us assumed.
Speaker 2: Right, But no, so that's all this confusion being sown. Liza is still Liza.
Speaker 1: Ing, and god knows she is a dancer. Yeah, yeah, so okay, I want to read her book, right, Oh, I want to read her book.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we'll have to get a copy.
Speaker 1: I mean, because you got to go. Her mother was Judy Garland, first of all, who I'm sure often spilled the tea. Yeah, i mean, Judy recorded herself sometimes inappropriate shit. So I am sure Liza had her front row, oh much. I mean it's been part of her act too, like talking about you know, Mamma, the Kennedys, and and you know, just what a storied life she has led. And oh god, I want to read that she did something. And I told you the story before. I don't think i've told her on the podcast if I did whatever. But I drove her, yes, a million years ago, when I worked for a limousine company, and part of the rule for driving her was to be there at the theater before she went on stage. And wait, okay, so I picked up her luggage at the hotel and had it, you know, loaded into the limousine and took the limousine over to what was then the Valley Forge Music Fair, Okay, and I had a beautiful, wonderful you know, backstage c to watch her show a work. Valley Forge Music Fair was in the round, as you might remember, And this was the first time and I wasn't that far from her. I was behind her, which is where the entrance to the stage was, but I wasn't that far from her, really. But it was the first time in my life that I watched one single human being hold an entire audience in the palm of their hand from the moment they stepped out on the stage until the moment they left it. She has such presence, such incredible presence, and it bounces off the walls and comes back. And that's the only way I can describe it, you know what, an indescribable stage presence and larger than life and wonderful and big, and it's an intimate moment with her audience the entire time she's on that stage. It's so personal and so present, and there's so much talent and so much fun, and you know, humor in her stories and of course her voice, and of course you know her movement. And at the time, I think it was just before she had her lips replaced, and so she was talking about having to have them replaced after all those years of dancing. And when I saw her backstage, because then I waded through that as well, she was birdlike, almost fragile in that. You know this, She's not a large person. She had left something so much larger than herself out there, all of it on the stage, and she was, you know, almost someone you wanted to protect, if you know what I'm saying, who was clearly tired and had just given it all, given it all. And you know, we were never supposed to ask for autographs or do anything like that, and I normally never did some you know, I took them when they were offered, though, but this time, you know, there was a moment where we were standing together waiting for something to happen toward the end before we got in the car, and I said, I never do this, but my mother was a huge fan of your mother and is a huge fan today of yours, as am I, And may I ask you for an autographer? She give me a piece of paper and I had my travel folder, you know, we had a folder with our paperwork in it, and that's what I had in my hands. So I handed it to her and she said, which mother's name? And I said, Tuts. And she got a huge kick out of the fact that my mother was Tuts. And she laughed out loud, and that wonderful laugh and I we still have it. It's in the den, the autograph from Liza Minelli. She was class person. Just you know, when someone is a legend, they don't have to they don't have to be a dick. And she was just gracious and lovely and sweet. Truly.
Speaker 2: I love that.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And she did something that I have never seen anyone do, and it was brilliant because she wouldn't put the divider up right, because there's a divider in a limousine that separates the driver from the passengers. She wouldn't do that, she said. She she yelled up to me and sweety, can I smoke? And I said, I'm going to tell Lisaman, of course you can. She said, all right, but would you crack the window up there for me please? I couldn't hear a thing. Hmmmm with my window cracked, I couldn't hear anything that was going on in the back, and I went, that was fucking brilliant. It was brilliant, and it was respectful and kind and treated me like a human, you know, And I went, Wow, that's clever. She knew it, she knew what would work, and she never did that. She never put up that partition. She wasn't going to be that right celebrity right, and even that, I mean back then, she got it. She was more than that, more than a celebrity, what a what a true star, and what a class act.
Speaker 2: I admit, for a lot of my life I didn't understand the appeal of Lyzamnelli, only because I had only seen I had only seen like her guest appearances, and like, I was like, I don't get it. And then I watched the movie Cabaret, uh huh, and I was like, Okay, I get it. And then I put that against everything else I'd seen, and I was like, Okay, now I get it. I understand, and now I love Liza Minelli.
Speaker 1: But I know I truly. And so this would have been mid to late nineties, and I can tell you part of the conversation was that they were working on the Duets albums, which was with Frank Sinatra, and that was in production, so he was still alive, I guess right at that point. And so that was the time period and just before she had had hip surgery or knee surgery, whichever it was, she might have.
Speaker 2: Had all of it replaced bionic from the waist end.
Speaker 1: I will never forget that evening. And like I said, I had to be there before she went on stage till she was ready to go to the airport, and it was such a lovely experience. And I spent some of that time backstage and got to hang out with the that you know, the costume folks who worked at full time at the music fair, and they were giving me all the dirt on who they liked and who they didn't and who they couldn't stand. And yeah, that was fun at fun.
Speaker 2: I love.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we dished. So it was a great evening that I will never forget. But I will also never forget being left with what a human, what a talented, talented human that knows, you know, again how to perform, how to leave it all out there and treated everyone with respect. So yeah, I love it. That's my Lisa story. Yeah, we got to get that framed, okay, because it's to tuts and I will never forget her laughing your mother's tuts. She thought that was fabulous.
Speaker 2: I mean it is.
Speaker 1: Moving on. What else we got?
Speaker 3: So apparently it's not dead?
Speaker 2: Right. Apparently there was a viral rumor that she had she had died.
Speaker 1: Somebody must have watched last holiday while they were high, I guess, and they didn't catch the whole story ahead.
Speaker 2: Well, she you know, came out and said, right, okay.
Speaker 1: Great she posts of death are greatly exaggerated exactly.
Speaker 2: She posted a video on her Instagram. Good morning, it's me, Latifa. I'm one hundred percent okay. Can't believe what you read on the internet or see. Can't believe nothing now right, I'm good, peace right. And it's like I've who anyone that would say that or believe that, don't know anything about her, because you know, I just she she's.
Speaker 1: Everywhere, you know, Yeah, I mean right, you gotta, you gotta. And this happened right with celebrities. Happens all the checks a source.
Speaker 2: Right exactly.
Speaker 1: It ain't real till it's real. Right, However, when our friend posts our death obsessed friend. Yes, posts a death, so I know that it's already been confirmed by two or three sources. Right before he posts rest in peace exactly and says so and so died, So I know they're dead, right, because I don't think I've ever seen him get it wrong. I don't think.
Speaker 2: I want to say once.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but did they ultimately die like a little bit later, Yes, Yeah, they just weren't quite dead when right.
Speaker 2: Okay, so he was only wrong in the timing but not in the fact of it, but not in the.
Speaker 1: Fact that it was happening. Yeah, So I guess he's gotten even more cautious. He's the one that corrects all of the immemorialms on all of the awards shows, like, well they left out and then we get that list. I actually love that about him.
Speaker 2: And his list is like three times longer than the one that he's correcting.
Speaker 1: Right, it's always comprehensive. Use he's really really wonderful for that. But yeah, he didn't say that she died, so I exactly. It wasn't about to believe it, right, I didn't.
Speaker 2: I didn't see it anywhere, but so that was I was like, yeah, Queen Latifa is still around, and I didn't know that that was in question.
Speaker 1: So that's all I didn't either. I don't have much more.
Speaker 2: Oh, I've been watching wonder Man Really, which is on uh which it's a Marvel series, and it's been out for a while because they released all of the episodes at once, which was a point of controversy because they cast Yahya abdul Matine as as wonder Man. In the comics, he's white, and so it's like the whole thing of like, why is it when they have a black lead character they release all the episodes one time, as opposed to metering it out once a week, and even though they just did that with iron Heart. I don't know anyway, but I'm actually enjoying it.
Speaker 1: I'm like, fine, you do why he gotta be black?
Speaker 3: You just do it?
Speaker 2: Do it? Because no, this is really it's I'm enjoying it. And it's like it's not even so much about him having powers. It's like about the craft of acting. It's about the mechanics of getting a role in Hollywood. But the story is he is trying to make make a make a go of it in Hollywood as an actor, and his dream role of wonder Man has come up, and because like he's loved wonder Man since he was a kid, and but apparently there's this clause that if you have superpowers, you can't be in a movie about superpowered individuals because it went really really left once and so he actually has superpowers. So he's trying to like, how do I expose all of myself as a lover of the craft of acting, but still hide major parts of myself? Like it's really interesting, Okay, I'm enjoying it. Like, and as as a fellow thespian, you would actually.
Speaker 1: Are we picturing like gay men being straight men and character?
Speaker 3: Like what are we?
Speaker 1: I have to hide my superpowers? I mean so that I get to portray this part kind of.
Speaker 2: But his whole thing is like if he gets like super agitated, then he can like make shit explode, so right, so he can't like.
Speaker 1: Well, likewise, when when your superpower is the lack of a never mind, Well that's me. Yeah, m hmm, yeah, so that's why your friendly.
Speaker 2: It's interesting, damn it.
Speaker 4: It is?
Speaker 1: What the fuck is wonder Man?
Speaker 2: Wonder Man is is a comic book character. Is a Marvel character?
Speaker 1: Really, because I only know of wonder Woman. I never knew there was a wonder Man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, wonder Man is a wonder Woman is DC wonder Man. They do this and wonder Man is Marvel. Yeah that's fucked up, completely unrelated.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, how about that. I didn't know that there was ever anything.
Speaker 2: But he wasn't exactly an A list character in Marvel, That's what I'm guessing. But I but I'm really loving It's like it's Yahya Abdullah Medan and Ben Kingsley. They're like really playing against each other and it's and it's again it's about the craft of acting.
Speaker 1: And this is a series.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like I would start it over again for you to see what you thought about it, because like it's an interesting character study.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, all right, so you're recommending Yeah, all right, I like it cool.
Speaker 2: And you're almost caught up with your Chicago series.
Speaker 1: I'm in season six of Chicago med which is the pandemic year, so I've watched how each of them has handled the pandemic.
Speaker 2: Yes, and this is the one the series that came the latest in the time in the universe.
Speaker 1: So yes, this is the newest of the three.
Speaker 2: So you're able to catch up faster.
Speaker 1: I started with Chicago PD, which was actually the not the oldest is Chicago Fire. Apparently that was the I believe that was the beginning of the Chicago world of Dick Wolf, and then Chicago p D and then Chicago MED.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, at any rate, I'm in season six.
Speaker 2: And you hate way more care characters in Chicago man than you.
Speaker 1: Okay, so yeah, I have.
Speaker 2: Never heard you yell at the television as often as I have while you're watching this damn show.
Speaker 1: Some people yell at sports.
Speaker 2: Giving.
Speaker 1: I yell at drama shows.
Speaker 3: It is.
Speaker 2: I'll be laying in bed and all of a sudden, there he goes, cause you don't bitch, like what is going on in there?
Speaker 1: All of the boys are awful. They are like they're pretty and awful. Yeah, you know, like awful. The male leads are are just oh god. And I've worked with surgeons and doctors, et cetera, and they are egotistical and full of themselves quite often. But this is more or something and it's like they're so pretty and I hate them and it's I'm so twist it inside, but really like it's like wow, so good character development because that they are all flawed individuals right truly and and speaking of Yai, but yes, I hate them more than most.
Speaker 2: Ya Ya DaCosta who I remember from I want to say, cycle three of Top Model. Is she She has a leading role in the show, Okay, And I didn't make that connection until I looked her up, because like, she's this gorgeous nurse. She's a nurse practitioner. Is that who she is?
Speaker 1: She is a nurse on the show, right, Yeah, she plays one of the nurses.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and she's like very like smart and capable and good.
Speaker 1: And beautiful and yeah, very good.
Speaker 2: But I'm like, damn, she is so pretty. And then I was seeing the name ya Ya da Costa and not placing it, and then I looked up who that wasn't IMDb, and so I was hard. I was like, wait a minute, yeah yeah, And then I hear Tyra Banks's voice saying yeah, yeah, come forward, and I looked it up, like yep, that's her. So season two of oh, cycle two okay, So I was still watching it then, Okay.
Speaker 1: I think so, yeah, I think that's when she was on there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she's terrific, so easily one of the most successful people to come out of that.
Speaker 1: Show, perhaps de Moost. Yeah, I don't know, but yeah, yes she has a big part of Chicago Mad.
Speaker 2: She has a job you.
Speaker 1: Can point to, Yes she does.
Speaker 2: I mean Eva from Cycle whatever that was three four whatever. She actually did get a modeling career. But still still ye, right, that's all.
Speaker 1: No, no, yeah, she's terrific. She is in Chicago Mad. I'm on Season Sex. It's been.
Speaker 2: Do white people like each other on these shows? Because we notice how every relationship, almost every relationship.
Speaker 1: They are well in Chicago Med, they kind.
Speaker 2: Of all are like black people marry each other.
Speaker 1: Some black people are married to each other, but the white people are all married to people of color.
Speaker 2: I think. I mean, I'm digging it. I just but it was like, after all, damn does anybody I know?
Speaker 1: I know, And it's like kind of just a thing and I love that, right, And the one character does have a transgender sister, right and played by a transactress, So you know that's a good thing. And it was handled better than it wasn't right I might have done. You know, she's not exactly heroin, and of course you know she's being beaten up by her boyfriend because we can't have training without tragedy but mostly handled respectfully. And then and she's the sister of Maggie, who is the character one of them that I adore.
Speaker 2: Yes, And because there's so many characters of color on this show in particular, I mean throughout the entire Chicago universe, but on Chicago Med in particular, you see people of color in certain situations that you don't normally see on television. Okay, like just the way things are handled. And I'm like, I'm digging it, you know. And and and Chicago Med deals with different issues of like ethics and and different topics in the medical world that I'm surprised that these conversations are being had on television.
Speaker 1: It's very cool. I like, Yeah, And there was a March fourth, uh you know, crossover night right where all three of them tell the story. And that's happened a couple of times. Yes, we're part one, two or three. Yes, So now you're at a universe. Well, I'm I'm trying to get to that place with Chicago Med. And then I'll watch the March fourth event.
Speaker 2: Why you get caught up yet?
Speaker 1: Well, and I keep rewatching those because I watched them. Whatever I was watching once I realized it was part of something. I watched all of it.
Speaker 2: Right because there was that crossover series about the flesh eating virus.
Speaker 3: Right like that.
Speaker 1: But I didn't know most of the characters from the other two shows, and now I do, so I keep like rewatching them and you can see it in context. You know what, I was raised by a television.
Speaker 2: It's becoming an obsession.
Speaker 1: I was raised little television and a lot of time my comfort comes from TV. I get it, like I just it's where I can zone out and you know, I can even learn life lessons and you know, seriously it it. This has been a time of resetting my nervous system and television helps me, I know, it just does. Yeah. Well, and Kathy and I were talking about that, which is why she said, some watch gun Smoke, you know what I mean? Like she was like, well, you tell't, but I said, you know, I've realized recently, like I I spent a lot of time in front of a TV when I was a kid, and no, there is something too just sort of this is new the ability newish, the ability to binge. You know, it started back when you know cable, like like what was the show that was rerunning the channel TNT that was rerunning Law and Order, and they would do marathons like on holidays, Labor Day or was it whoever it was, they would do like these marathons. Yes, and I fell in love with marathons where you could just sit there all night, all day and do nothing else but watch Chowacter character show in order.
Speaker 2: Usually. Well, because of that, we're now seeing how certain shows, particularly shows from like the eighties and nineties, weren't necessarily intended to be bin. They were not because continuity is a thing that they were not paying attention to.
Speaker 1: And dear God, did they work under a formula right that right that we repeated too much.
Speaker 2: Like the like the Golden Girls in particular, like there will be like a story element, like if it's a running joke with a character, then it runs through their entire arc. But sometimes it's like, well didn't you have another daughter?
Speaker 3: Right right?
Speaker 1: Well, that used to happen all the time that I when happy days, Like the Pilot, there was another whole brother, Chuck I think his name was. There were three kids, and then suddenly he was never around.
Speaker 2: Well he just never happened on the cosmic, on the on the Lisa Bonet show. Yes, in the in the first episode, there was no Sondra Saunder didn't show up until like episode four of and she's.
Speaker 1: Like the oldest kid, right.
Speaker 2: They didn't write her in until like the third or fourth episode because in the very first episode there was a joke Cliff, why do we have four children because we didn't want five?
Speaker 1: Right, that's right, that's right. Yeah, see, and then all of a sudden, here's this other character that didn't exist before.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And that was also they had a different set for the house and it was the first, last and only time we ever saw was there. Oh yeah, the set was completely different, completely, or somewhat. I think the kitchen might have been the same, but the living room was different. Yeah, as much. I know, my obsession of The Golden Girls is only rival by my obsession of that show.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's true. Yeah, and I mean I've seen that happen where it changes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was just the first episode, just the pilot.
Speaker 1: Right, It's usually the pilot is different from the set that they you know, once the show is picked up.
Speaker 2: Right, the rest of the series was the same house, but that pilot was the first, last, and only time we ever saw Claire dressed up in like house cleaning clothes, Like she had her hair in a kerchief and she had an apron. Uh huh. Yeah, like she was in housewife.
Speaker 1: Most she was still a lawyer, right, but cleaning her own house.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was the first, last and only time in eight seasons I saw that. What Yeah, the very next episode she was quaffed and snack.
Speaker 1: Now, while the maid may not have been one of the central characters, she existed.
Speaker 2: I think the maid was the five children who lived in there.
Speaker 1: Okay, were that either way? Either way other than you know what I saw and I checked it because I'm like, I hate it when people just post stuff randomly, buddy. It was true in both Good Times and the Jeffersons. At both Esther Roll and Isabelle Sandford were twenty years older than the actor playing their husband, m Estherwroll was twenty years older than John Amos. I knew that, and isabel Sandford was twenty years older than Sherman Hemsley.
Speaker 2: I learned that.
Speaker 1: Yeah it worked. I had no idea, but yes, they were. Yeah, there was a big difference in age and where the woman was considerably older. Because it just happened. I was looking up the actress from the closer, and that was saying the actress that played her parents were considerably different in age. It was at least twenty years if not thirty.
Speaker 2: Interesting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, and it worked, it absolutely did. I don't know why I brought that up. I propos of nothing, but there were these age differences, because what did we just oh oh oh on Chicago Fire. I looked up Herman's wife. Herman is played by the actor who was also in you know, the one with the social actuaries, the Sex and the City. He was the actor in Sex and the City, that dude.
Speaker 2: Oh oh oh oh Herman. Okay, yeah, and.
Speaker 1: He's one of the in Chicago Fire. Right, and the one playing his wife could be his daughter.
Speaker 2: But look look good, right, But that was gonna sound shade, and I don't want to be sha.
Speaker 1: She's in her forties and he's like in his six sixty or in his sixties.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's a big difference in age, but they look like they could be a couple. He looks a little younger, she looks a little whatever. But I went but but I don't know. Something made me look them up because I was like, she's a lot younger than and then I sheep in fact day can Yeah, how did I get on that?
Speaker 2: I have no idea. We were talking about television.
Speaker 1: Oh you know why because you said Claire hus will never cleaned her house, and I was thinking of television shows where the maid was actually an integral part, and I thought of the Jeffersons, and then I.
Speaker 2: Thought of okay, okay, okay, that made.
Speaker 1: That article that I just read, I'm with you on that, and then I checked the accuracy.
Speaker 2: There you go.
Speaker 1: That actually went back to those other two things.
Speaker 2: There you go.
Speaker 1: Yep, that's how we got here. That's all I got. I'm hungry.
Speaker 2: It's time for podcast business. Let's do that. If you haven't already, why don't you swing on by Apple Podcasts, good Pods, YouTube, or wherever you enjoy our show and leave us a review or a rating or hit that subscribe button five stars and more. Please follow us on social at Full Circle the Pod on Instagram, threads and Blue Sky, and Full Circle the Podcast on TikTok. You can follow Martha at Imartha Madrigal everywhere. Her writing can be found at I Ammarthamadrigal dot WordPress dot com. I am at never skirt everywhere. If you have a story, idea, or some gossip, or just want to say hi and tell us we're doing a great job, drop us a line at ask Full Circlepod at gmail dot com. We'd love to hear from you. Explore our new web store and get your own piece of Full Circle the Podcast merchandise. Just go to our website full Circlethepod dot com and click shop our merch There's bound to be something to suit your style. Join our Patreon, Patreon dot com slash Full Circle the Pod starting at just a three dollars a month tire. You get access to all of our episodes add free and before everyone else, and it only gets better from there. It's fun. Over at the Patreon, you can also check out our Discord channel Full Circle the Podcast podcast Business over. First podcast Business of season.
Speaker 1: Five, Yes it is, I'm gonna go cook you dinner? Okay, all right, Hopefully we record a little bit more regularly in season five, assuming that you know, the world doesn't blow up, right, because we have put absolute idiots in charge truth, So maybe until next time, seaw I'm your host, Martha.
Speaker 2: Madrigal, and I'm your host Charles Tyson Jr.
Speaker 1: And you've been listening to Full Circle the podcast. Thank you so much, We'll see next time.
Speaker 2: By everyone. Full Circle is a Never Skurred Productions podcast hosted by Charles Tyson Junior and Martha Madrigal, Produced and edited by Never Scurred Executive Produced by Charles Tyson Jr. And Martha Madrigal. Our theme in music is by the jingle Berries. All names, pictures, music, audio, and video clips are registered trademarks and or copyrights of their respective copyright holders.