Speaker 1: Let's say good morning too, Fritz Coleman. Good morning, mister Coleman.
Speaker 2: How were you amy doing?
Speaker 1: Fabulous? Thanks for getting up early with us today.
Speaker 2: I wanted to be here.
Speaker 1: So, Friz, you did TV weather for years and now you just make people laugh while.
Speaker 2: I'm trying to That's true. I started my career in stand up and I got my job doing the weather from doing stand up at the Comedy Store, So it's full circle for me.
Speaker 1: Wait, that's how you got discovered?
Speaker 2: Yes, I was working at the Comedy Store in nineteen eighty two and the news director from NBC was in the.
Speaker 3: Was in the audience, and then I had mentioned during my show that I had done the weather when I worked for Armed Forces Radio and Television in the Navy, but I didn't know anything about it, and I had some many notes to tell about not.
Speaker 2: Knowing anything about the weather and doing it, and this is an absolutely true story. When my show was over, I went backstage to meet these people, and this man's Steven Tonedy God rest his soul, said to me, this is a weird question, but do you have any desire to come to Channel four and do some vacation relief fill in weather? For me, and I said, you did hear me say on stage that I don't know anything about the weather? He said, perfect, there's no weather in California. This will work out great. So I auditioned. I got the job doing fill in for a couple of years. Then my predecessor left and I got bumped up to the main job and I was there for forty years. It's an honest to God miracle.
Speaker 1: Isn't that fun? So now, did you said that the stand up gig gave you some fodder for the weather gig? Did it work in reverse? Two?
Speaker 2: Yes, it is. It was. They were mutually beneficial experiences from playing to drunks at one o'clock in the morning and comedy clubs. There was no emergency situation on TV that I couldn't react well and not lose my cool, And the reverse of that was true. Being on television doing the weather helped me to get booked around in shows in southern California. So it was a mutually beneficial experience.
Speaker 1: And now you're just doing this. This is your job. Now you've left my job. The weather is gone. And I know we've talked before and you said you don't miss it at or lick.
Speaker 2: Well, no, I mean I tell people, even if you love what you do, forty years is long enough, and I'm glad to be retired. I get to do this show at the alports Ole Theater, which has been going on for a year and a half. It's called Unassisted Living. It's a show for people of a certain age. So I get to go on stage in wine for an hour and twenty minutes about the joys the euphoria of being old and people who are in that similar circumstance have a good time. I say, if you have a Medicare card and you appreciate being home by dark, you need to come and see this show because it was built for you.
Speaker 1: Okay, So then let me ask you this, Fris because I remember I used to have a friend who was several years older than me, and I'd go, oh, I don't feel that way yet, or and she kept saying, just you wait, just you wait, You'll get there soon enough. Is there some of that in your show? Because there are certain things.
Speaker 2: That's the whole thing. That's the whole thing. It's the common experience. Some of the topics we talk about are having grandchildren during the pandemic, what happens to your body, men and women, how you perceive the world, your lack of energy, how you assess how you were as a parent, all the common experiences of being old, and not all of it is bad. I closed the show out with a whole block on being grateful. The one thing this happened to me since I got older is I find myself being more grateful for everything I have and everything I've experienced, and I sort of close out on a positive note. And it's fun. I have found that a comedy these days, with the darkness and the division in the world, is really very therapeutic. I don't do any politics. It's a relatively clean show. So my job is to just take people's heads out of the rest of the weirdness in the world and allow them to understand what's common among us instead of what divides us. It's what's common among us. And if you're given the gift of being able to get to a certain age, then these are all the typical experiences. And there are people who have been back two and three times to see this show, and so I think it's working okay.
Speaker 1: And then Fritz all of your shows at the El Portal theater are matinees.
Speaker 2: How come well because people in my particular demographic, which is old people and their parents, like to be home by dark. So we start to show at three in the afternoon on a Sunday. It's usually the last Sunday of every month, and we just find that that's a good fit for the people that come to see this show.
Speaker 1: I love it. And then there's a special for the summer. It's a two for one, that's.
Speaker 2: True, and we're really excited to announce this. If you buy a ticket at Elportaltheater dot com anytime between June first and June fifteenth, it's two for one. You'll buy one ticket, you'll get one free, and those tickets are good for any show in the summer all the way through September. So we'd love to see you. It's the Marilyn Monroe Farm is part of the Elportal Theater and it's just small enough for me to come and hug everybody after the show. I would love to meet you, come on out and see us.
Speaker 1: I love that. And it's so we've got when's your next? Is the next one?
Speaker 2: This Sunday? Were this Sunday? If you want to come to Sunday. I'm not sure where there are any tickets left, but you can try Sunday the twenty fifth at three o'clock Elportsoltheater dot com. And it's a Memorial Day weekend, so you may may not be able to fit us into your schedule, but if not, come and get a two for one deal and come and see you sometime this summer.
Speaker 1: I love that Fritz Coleman Unassisted Living. It's such a fun show. I actually I got to watch the special that you recorded. It's a lot of fun. And in fact, Fritz, we're going to make it fun for a couple of week out call listeners because we have two pair of tickets to give away, so we're gonna do that right now. Fritz Coleman, thank you so much, and we look forward to seeing the show. It sounds like a lot a great time.
Speaker 2: Thank you enough, Amy, Thanks for having me, all right, take care,