Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI A M. Six forty, The Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: It's time for swamp Watch. I'm a politician, which means I'm a cheat and a liar, and when I'm not kissing babies, I'm stealing their lollipops.
Speaker 3: Here we got the real problem is that our leaders are done.
Speaker 2: The other side never quits. So what I'm not going anywhere?
Speaker 3: So that is how you.
Speaker 4: Train the squad.
Speaker 2: I can imagine what can be and be unburdened by what has been. You know, Americans have always been going at President. They're not stupid.
Speaker 5: A political flunder is when a politician actually tells the truth.
Speaker 2: Whether people voted for.
Speaker 6: You were not.
Speaker 2: Swamp watch, they're all counter on.
Speaker 1: Well, we've been talking about China and the standoff between the Trump administration and Shi Jinping when it comes to trade. We most recently talked about the President hosting a Japan with his economic advisors yesterday, where Shi Jinping was in Southeast Asia probably still Malaysia yesterday. When it comes to wooing people to join their perspective teams, the CATO Institute has long followed the relations between the United States and China, and with particular how we're going to navigate what could be a urination match of epic proportions between these two countries.
Speaker 5: Right now, Clark Packard is a research fellow in the Herbert Stifle Center for Trade Policy Studies at the Cato Institute, and he joins us now.
Speaker 2: Clark, thanks for taking time for us again today.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thanks thanks for having me. I'm glad to be on.
Speaker 5: Let's get sort of a ten thousand foot level look if we can from you about where we stand with this burgeoning trade war between specifically between the United States and China.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, look, I think the Trump administration is right to point to a number of bad trade policies, trade and investment policies that come from Beijing. You know, China, for example, steals intellectual property, it hacks into cyber networks, et cetera, et cetera. So at this point, though, we're at one hundred and forty five percent tariffs basically on all imports from China except for certain computer and electronic equipment. And then China has imposed equivalent tariffs on American products. But China also doesn't buy as many products from the United States as we buy from them, and so China is having to switch some of its retaliation to focus on maybe services. So legal consulting financial services. Beijing ordered Chinese airlines not to take any further orders or deliveries from Boeing, for example. So I think, you know, the two sides are sort of dug in, and I don't know if there's going to be an off ramp. I know that that, you know, the Trump administration has indicated that it would like to talk, but so far nothing has has materialized from that.
Speaker 1: Some of the communities that stood up and voted Trump are communities that feel forgotten by this country. And if you go back to history for a lesson, you will find out that it kind of began when Congress voted to make things nice with China. When it came to trade relations at the turn of the century, imports from China nearly tripling from nineteen ninety nine to two thousand and five, and the factories here in America just could not compete, giving birth to the term the China Shock. It wiped out millions of jobs in the years that followed, and a lot of these communities that were hard hit. Well, now it's kind of it seems to be adding insult to injury with the very communities that hoisted Trump into the White House.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's right. I mean, I do think there's something to the China shock, right, like that regions that were more exposed to Chinese import competition had worse labor market outcomes than those regions that were less exposed to Chinese import competition. And you're right that that something like you know, the numbers vary, but something about a million and a half manufacturing jobs were lost over a ten to fifteen year period, and that certainly hurt a lot of communities. But you know, I think that obviously the genies out of the bottle, and there's nothing we can kind of do to go back. And I'm you know, I'm skeptical that if we erect big tariff walls around the United States, even just for China, you know, just from Chinese products, it would have much of an impact. But yeah, I mean I certainly think that a lot of farming communities are going to be hit with foreign retaliation and yeah, and increased costs for American consumers. So, you know, I think that that you know, there was very real frustration and very sort of righteous anger. But I just don't think that the past followed by politicians today is gonna, you know, unwind and undo what's already been done.
Speaker 5: Clark, can you hang on for another segment? I have a couple more questions that I'd love to get to. All Right, Clark Packard again, research fellow for Cato Institute and a writer. You've seen his stuff, You've seen him on TV as well. We'll talk with Clark a little bit more about what's going on in terms of tariffs and the burgeoning trade war that we're staring down the barrel of.
Speaker 4: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 1: I love this look at the Chiron on CBS. It says do not drive high on four to twenty and then the image with someone lighting.
Speaker 2: Up a bowl of pot. Isn't that Easter?
Speaker 1: Do we need the news to tell us not to drive high? And it is Easter? It falls on Easter, So you've got Jesus.
Speaker 2: And weed and Hitler. Hitler that's his birthday, right if you say so. I don't know.
Speaker 5: We were talking swamp watch stuff that goes on in DC, and the biggest story of the last couple of weeks, of course, has been tariffs and the trade renegotiations that are said to be taking place. The biggest players in this, of course, are going to be the United States in China because of the massive economies and because of the products that we the United States and they China produce. And we're talking with Clark Packard, who's a research fellow at the Cato Institute about this specifically, and he focuses on international trade policy. Clark, we know that there've already been some indications of prices going up here in the United States because of all of this.
Speaker 2: In fact, I think it was.
Speaker 5: Ford that said that starting in June, consumers are going to start to see those manufactured manufacturers suggested retail prices going up on some of their vehicles, specifically their F one fifties.
Speaker 2: Do we have a good idea.
Speaker 5: I know it's a secretive society, but do we have a good idea of how this has or would impact the Chinese economy?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Well, yes, First of all, you're right, it is kind of secretive. They keep their economic data very close to the vest so to speak. But look, I do think that the Chinese economy depends on export. It is too heavily balanced in one direction, out of balance I suppose, toward production and not enough on the consumption side. And you know, all kinds of research analysts suggest that, look, the Chinese really need to try to do something to rebalance their economy. But you know, be that as it may, exports are very much an engine of growth for Beijing. And so yeah, I do think that the US is a major buyer of products from China, and you know, basically erecting this massive tariff wall that essentially prohibits I mean, the rates are so high it would essentially prohibit the purchase of Chinese goods will cause significant harm to the Chinese economy. But of of course it will also hurt the American side as well. That you know, American consumers that have to switch to higher price goods or whatever to for substitution.
Speaker 1: Just about the ward time out before the break about China's shock and how it's hard to find economists that will tell you that tariffs are going to bring back the manufacturing jobs that we have lost since the influx of China goods and the cheap way China is able to manufacture things over there and in other places like Vietnam.
Speaker 2: Where is there a world?
Speaker 1: And like, I guess, I just don't understand the thought process that the administration has that the tariffs will bring the manufacturing jobs back, because it seems like they all left, and then adding the tariffs, like I said, it just adds insult to injury. It makes it harder, at least in my dumb mind, it makes it harder to bring back those jobs with the tariffs in place. I guess I just if there's a way to understand how tariffs could help reverse China shock, I'd like to know it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I say, I think that's exactly right. Look, the first of all, the US does still maintain a pretty healthy uh it just we just don't have as many people working in those sectors. You know, the US is the second largest exporter around the world, behind China. And so part of the part of my my sort of complaint with the Trump administration is if you really want to focus and bolster domestic manufacturing, it doesn't make sense to tax the products that American firms use to build products in the United States. And so maybe if you want to impose tariff on finished goods. Maybe that would make more sense, but it doesn't make sense to and in fact, would hurt domestic manufacturers that rely on intermediate inputs and capital goods that they source from around the world to then make our products more competitive globally in the United States. And so I think there's sort of they're banking on all this investment coming into the United States. The problem is if all these foreign companies start to invest in the United States, it's going to be a significant lag by the time they stand up a factory for example. You know, you're talking maybe five years. And to me, there's a question on how much pain the American public is willing to take because I think, you know, the Trump administration can point back to higher prices during the Biden administration as probably the primary reason they're in office today. So I just don't think the American public has as much of a pain tolerance. And the time horizon isn't going to work. I think the American people are going to be pretty angry about this.
Speaker 2: Hey bring up a good point.
Speaker 1: The time alone, I mean, they don't have time to adjust in a best case scenario world.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I think you know, if you wanted to do this in like a better, less erratic way, you know you would announce okay, in a year, here's what's going to happen, and that gives the supply chains time to adjust. But you know, when you're talking about radically overhauling a supply chain in the matter of a couple of weeks a month, there inevitably there's going to be major frictions, and that's going to hurt American consumers.
Speaker 5: Clark, great stuff, Thank you for your time, Thanks for having me on you bet Clark Packer, there again, research fellow at the Cato Institute. Nice to talk to people who are smarter than us.
Speaker 2: Well set the bar high.
Speaker 1: I mean I could pull in that guy that's standing out there on the street corner.
Speaker 2: He'd sounds smarter than that coming with a dog wearing a T shirt on the corner.
Speaker 1: Good time to ask you what did you learn this week? Garyan Shannon Show.
Speaker 4: Let us know.
Speaker 5: You can leave as a message on the talkback feature on the Iheard app.
Speaker 2: We'll get to him later in the show.
Speaker 5: Just a quick note also, you may have heard me exclaim about an hour and a half ago that there was a thing that happened at the Oval Office today. President Trump was officially swearing in doctor Oz to take over the centers for Medicare and Medicaid, and one of doctor Oz's family members, a guest of his young girl, probably twelve years old or so, had apparently fainted while President Trump was taking questions from reporters, and that quickly prompted the press people at the White House to usher everybody out of the room.
Speaker 2: Poor girl, poor little girl.
Speaker 5: She was able to stand up, and her mom actually was holding her hand over the little girl's mouth like please, please, please, do not barf on the floor of the Oval Office, please please please. So that's what that was awful or super embarrassing, unfortunately. And then the other thing is that Secretary of State Marco Rubio says the United States could move on from efforts for a Russia Ukraine peace deal if they can't come with can't show any progress in the coming days.
Speaker 2: There is a meeting that is scheduled.
Speaker 5: For London next week where Ukrainian, Russian and American officials are all expected to be somewhat co located and could begin some of that. But he says, if we don't see any progress. We're just gonna get out of it because it's it's not our business. It's basically what he said.
Speaker 1: Remember, if you're planning for Easter, your outfit, make sure your cleavage is not bigger than the cross around your neck.
Speaker 5: Somebody asked if that means that Jewish women can't show cleavage.
Speaker 2: That means they can show all they want, what they're showing on Easter. That's not. Oh right, then there's that too. Yeah, so I'm not sure they're concerned about it.
Speaker 1: All right, when we come back, we are going to talk about bunnies.
Speaker 5: Okay, right, what oh the animals that the you mean the Easter bunnies? Yeah, okay, I didn't like what are their bunnies?
Speaker 2: What I'd been talking about earlier in the show.
Speaker 5: We talked about a bunny that got sucked into a jet engine in Denver.
Speaker 2: I thought you meant playboy bunnies. That's because you're dirty mine in that room.
Speaker 6: Yeah, there's just something that makes us randy, being trapped in this room in here.
Speaker 2: I love it. Smut hussies. Whoa Okay, you know what that was too far?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: I went too far?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Okay, you're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: This time of year, there's all the alerts that.
Speaker 1: Come out about I'm not abandoning the bunnies that you buy for Easter, and I feel like it's a media driven story. How often have you ever known anybody that bought a bunny for Easter, no to enhance their children's experience, and then just let the bunny go.
Speaker 2: It makes no sense.
Speaker 1: I believe that this story is right up there with the Bermuda Triangle and quicksand Okay, okay, it's an urban legend.
Speaker 2: It's not a thing that you need to fear.
Speaker 1: They're not going to be abandoned bunnies running in the street that were adopted just for First of all, I've never heard of anyone adopting a bunny.
Speaker 2: I know people that.
Speaker 1: Have had bunnies as pets, but like going to a shelter and getting a bunny, You've never heard that. And the idea that you'd go to a shelter, adopt a bunny just for Easter and then let it go.
Speaker 5: That doesn't happen, And then it becomes it becomes Night of the Leapus.
Speaker 2: It's not real.
Speaker 5: What is that that's a horror movie from the early seventies. Night at the Leapus it's a science fiction film based on a novel called The Year of the Angry Rabbit, an infestation of mutated rabbits.
Speaker 2: Yes, money, Oh, there's a trailer. Night of the leapis.
Speaker 6: Oh, that is some deep track movie.
Speaker 2: It's an MGM. Right there, You're welcome. You are welcome. Also.
Speaker 6: I don't want to burst your bubble, you guys, But when I was little, my parents got me a bunny.
Speaker 2: What did you do with the front door? You're the first? Oh my god, you're you're right here, right here. I do not want to cause conflict. I need a whole story. So I was.
Speaker 6: About five and my parentcy I'm from Oklahoma originally.
Speaker 2: And second, that's that's slightly different. Can you sing a sorry with Yes? You can, pushy little Surrey with the fringe on the.
Speaker 6: Tour, Yes, go again, Gary and Shannon karaoke.
Speaker 2: We got it. Oh my god, no, my my parents golden hairs home moment. Don't stop. Yes, listen, I'm there was a reason why I came to work today. Oh my god, do oh what a beautiful morning. God, I just did that's the day. Yeah, you didn't get to the part, you know, the it's too high for me.
Speaker 6: I feel like this might be part of your new weekend show. It should just be carried people just telling you what they want you to see. I think we do all Oklahoma hits for the rest of the day, and if I'm not included in that, I will.
Speaker 5: Write you are included. Okay, now hang on, you're in Oklahoma. Your parents bought you a buddy.
Speaker 2: Money for Easter.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so it was this keeled bunny and I'm so basic they let me name it. Of course I named it Thumpter Thumper.
Speaker 2: Because I'm an old god. Because that's when Bamby came out. All expect more from you.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry. I was five.
Speaker 5: What's my creative somehow connected to the resurrection of Christ?
Speaker 2: Somehow? Five? She didn't know about Jesus on the Cross? And why did you get a bunny for Easter?
Speaker 6: I think it was just because this isn't Bunnies don't go hand in hand for Christ's sake.
Speaker 2: Listen, I know that, but I'm just sorry.
Speaker 6: I think my parents wanted didn't want to get me a dog. That was the day I wanted a dog or cat, and they were like, no, we'll get you up, bunny. And they built this wonderful like cage outside it says cage, but it was this really beautiful My dad built this great, you know place for the bunny to stay.
Speaker 2: And I loved it. I loved Thumper. He slept with me at night.
Speaker 6: You know, we used to pick up his little poop pellets everywhere, and like, you know, it taught me, like I just I loved bunnies, I loved animals. And then we were at the grocery store. We were out running airs or something, and somebody broke in and stole him. What yes, just the bunny, just the bunny. They ripped him out of the cage. They broke up in the cage and they stole father. I cried so hard.
Speaker 2: Who knew the bunny was there? I don't know, honestly.
Speaker 6: Somebody do have friends over too, Yeah, I mean somebody had to have told them or you know something, because the cage was in the backyard and you know, unless somebody went.
Speaker 1: And is there any chance your parents pretended that Thumper was stolen?
Speaker 2: No, my mom did that with my dog.
Speaker 7: Though.
Speaker 2: When I was in I knew there was something there.
Speaker 6: Yeah, no, she just did not want no dogs. But yeah, I had the bunny. I had the Easter bunny and he was such a little.
Speaker 2: Sweel thinking how long did you have Thumper? I had him for probably about a year. What's a life expectancy on a bunny like that? I don't know. I want a bunny.
Speaker 5: Now, you guys get some neighbors who had rabbits, but they weren't connected to Easter.
Speaker 2: Hey, guys, so our new producer and board op. That's training Nikki. He is obsessed with bunnies and she knows everything about bunnies. Do you want to chime ass? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Tell me tell me bunny stuff. I want to hear all the bunny stuff.
Speaker 2: Tell me what you know? Nicky, your mic over there? The blue BUTTONO at this, go for it? Can you hear me?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Introduce yourself. Hi, I'm Nicky.
Speaker 7: I'm one of the new producers here. I love her, love you at present. I believe the Guinness World Record for the longest living rabbit was a rabbit in Illinois named Mick who lived until age sixteen.
Speaker 5: Now that you have a lot of very specific items about that bunny, that's.
Speaker 1: Do you know that we really dive into two fun facts on this show with animals, and to be specific, so you are, you're nailing it right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 7: And so my last rabbit lived until age fifteen, which is insane because wild rabbits, they might be lucky to live for three years. Oh wow, But domestic rabbits, you're also lucky to have one to live for seven or eight years.
Speaker 2: But my gudes, that's with the best care and everything.
Speaker 7: Well do you know what I did to make sure that he lived a long life?
Speaker 2: You didn't need him, No, I'm a vegetarian. Well there's that. No.
Speaker 7: I gave him cannabis oil every day.
Speaker 2: I was going to say beer, So I was kind of on.
Speaker 7: The right, Okay, THHC and CBD oil and I would give him enough for a great day.
Speaker 5: Oh, a great story.
Speaker 2: What was his name? His name was Harold Goldstein? Yes, it was. Was that named after somebody or was it just a name you came up with. Imagine the best tax accountant you've.
Speaker 7: Ever had, Harold Goldstein.
Speaker 2: I'm looking for a new tax guy where he would do your taxes if he was still with us. Where is he buried?
Speaker 7: He's cremated on my mantlepiece with four other rabbits.
Speaker 2: What are the other rabbits names?
Speaker 7: There was his wife, Janice Longbody Goldstein.
Speaker 2: There was long Buddy. Yes.
Speaker 7: There was also Wendell who emigrated with me from Australia.
Speaker 2: Wendel Proctor legally, of course, legally, yes, he was a legal immigrant. He did his paper, he reads his flood.
Speaker 7: And then I also had Stanislav and Rory Stanislav.
Speaker 1: Was this a Russian bunny? Yes, he was Russian, was from St. Peter though, he was You had like a little you went of rabbits. Yeah, it was like a clown car for rabbits in my place.
Speaker 2: Are you going to get another one?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 7: I think I need to give my heart a little break from the sadness of when they die.
Speaker 2: Are they relatively low maintenance? No, they take a lot of work. I'm not easy until you unless you keep them high all the time.
Speaker 7: Absolutely, you got to be vigilant because they don't show you they're ill. When they're sick. They go quiet and sit in the corner because they're a prey animal.
Speaker 2: Do I detect an accent? Yes, it's an Australian act. You didn't hear, she said, Australian funny funny. Do you know the musical Oklahoma?
Speaker 7: Of course I was raised on it. What a beautiful morning sing along?
Speaker 2: No, I can't sing. I'm ready get its high as an elephants and it looks like is climbing clear up to the She's a real singer, She's got it. I cannot carry a tune in a bucket.
Speaker 5: But even just saying that sounds great. I'm going to put Heather to work. On the other hand, Yes, thank you, Nikki. When we come back, people will say we're in love. Hey, Richie, can you didn't I did?
Speaker 2: Hey Richie?
Speaker 1: Can you take that last segment, patch it up, patch it up into a nice little package and send it to the.
Speaker 2: National Radio Hall of Fame? Yes? Please, absolutely, I'm on it. Boom. I have a feeling it's going to be dropped off on the frontier.
Speaker 1: I really enjoy I enjoyed that segment more than anything in a very long time on this show.
Speaker 5: Gary and Shannon will continue with nothing after There's nowhere we go.
Speaker 1: After that, we can do more songs and do more Bunny Fact go to Oklahoma.
Speaker 4: You're listening to Gary and chann on demand from KFI am six forty.
Speaker 2: Justin Rose and Rory McElroy have been friends forever. It was a thirteen second hug.
Speaker 5: So if I had won the Masters, I would have hugs from people that I know. Thirteen seconds with your friend's wife. It ain't twenty twenty is the cutoff. Had it been twenty they would have been legally married. But since Rory's already legally married, he knew he had to cut it short. He didn't want to cause any confusion. No, it was such, they're just they're friends. I mean, I don't think that's and she's probably one of the people, if they're as close as they say they are, she's probably one of the people that knows everything that's gone on with Rory and his wife and the back and forth about getting a divorce and then deciding that or saying they were going to start divorce proceedings, and then.
Speaker 2: Thirteen seconds is a long time. What's wrong with you? Listen, that's an emotional thing. One two, I know how many thirteen is?
Speaker 5: Yes, or and she's saying things to him the whole time, and he's like, thanks for being there for us. It's you've been really helpful for us, and She's like, I'm so proud of you. I'm so happy for you. It's too bad you had to beat Justin to do it. Ah, funny, that's fine to have a conversation. But while embracing yes, huh whatever, I realize golf was so intriguing for you.
Speaker 2: It's not golf.
Speaker 1: It's hugging your wife, your friend's wife for thirteen seconds.
Speaker 5: Depends on you know, depends on what. Oh, nothing, No, it just depends on whether or not you won the Masters. You want to do more musicals?
Speaker 2: No, I do not. Did you see the Lee Corso story?
Speaker 5: No, Lee Corso eighty nine years old, college football analyst for game day. It's finally leaving game day, and I mean finally, not like I've been waiting for it, but finally, like he's finally decided that this is going to be the time that he's gonna. He's gonna and he's you know, old, very old, and it shows, I mean he's been there forever. But he would do even in these later years, he's been doing that silly thing where he throws that mascot head on and they've decided or he's decided that after thirty eight seasons, he's going to do Week one coming up in September. He'll do Week one and then that will be his last show, his last.
Speaker 2: College game day show. So that's all just.
Speaker 5: One of those long, very very long time fixtures of Saturday mornings is seeing Lee Corso.
Speaker 2: Do his worth. If he came in here, how long do you think you'd hug him for? Do I have things to say to him?
Speaker 5: How proud I am of him? But I don't have any of the relationship become out four four five second hug. I'd give him two or three seconds probably. I've never met the guy your friend who's the pilot. How long would you hug his wife for? She would not take it the wrong way. I could go for a good third, teen fifteen seconds probably.
Speaker 1: What I will talk to Trendinglarly, come back to Gary and Shan.
Speaker 2: You've been listening to The Gary and Shannon Show.
Speaker 5: You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio ap