Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: It's Later if Poe Kelly, We're live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. And that's what you heard of the music of Corey Henry, who is a multi time Grammy nominated artist, this year in the Roots Gospel Album category for his album Church, although he's also been nominated in Best Alternative Jazz, Best Progressive R and B, and even Album of the Year categories for his work. He has been a musical prodigy his old life, starting piano and Hammond B three organ, we'll tell you about that. From the age of two years old, played the famed Apollo Theater at six years old. You've heard his work with everyone from Bruce Springsteen to Kanye West, Stevie Wonder, Michael McDonald and everyone in between. But Saturday Night on Grammy's Eve at the Sun Room in West Hollywood at eight thirty pm will be Corey Henry and Friends Grammy Jam an evening of healing and celebration through music. In fact, we have a pair of tickets we're gonna give away before the night is through. But it's my honor, my pleasure, to Welcome to Later with Mo Kelly none other than the Corey Henry, my brother and new friend.
Speaker 3: How are you this evening. I'm doing wonderful. Thanks for having me on the show. Brooklyn Native. And as the story goes, you were playing since two years old. In fact, there are pictures of you playing as basically an infant. Is it fair to say that music chose you?
Speaker 4: You didn't choose music.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, as long as I can remember, since my since coming out of my mama's womb, I was just interested in music in ways that seemed to annoy my family.
Speaker 4: They said.
Speaker 3: When I was a kid, I would sit on my Auntie's lap and bang to the rhythm, you know, with spoons, and you know, I sat in schools and used the pencils, and you know, played the drums on the desk. And all I know is music since I can remember, as long as I can remember for sure.
Speaker 2: Did you know or did someone point out to you that you had a gift, something that was bestowed upon you in the church we say you were anointed.
Speaker 3: No, I knew and then and then I knew I was annoying, okay, but but I knew it just it was just always in me. I just I can't remember a time where I wasn't thinking about music.
Speaker 2: You know, Was there a particular piece for you which transformed you or always touches you? Like, for example, whenever I should be in church or in the church setting, if someone's gonna come out and start singing, I won't complain.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna lose it. I'm just gonna lose it. You're gonna go crazy, that's right. Is there a song like that for you? Oh?
Speaker 3: Man? And a song it's a that's actually probably a list of songs like that for me. Every time I play Amazing Grace, it takes me under, you know, it's like we heard coming in, like we heard coming in?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: That that that version of it Me and Grace is different from any other version I've ever played because that's the version my mama taught me at the age of four or five years old. I often credit, you know, my jazz people like Herbie Hancock and Chickarea for my jazz influence. But when I started making this record, the Church album, I was thinking about my mama's chords, and she showed me these chords that's had fourths and diminished and.
Speaker 4: Out of time.
Speaker 3: Signatures and just like cool melodies that she took amazing Grace and made in her own calypso kind of version for me to play.
Speaker 2: I understand when you say diminished chords, but we'll call it like passing chords and what have you. But you're four years old presumably at the time. Did it register on that level or you just mimicking what she's showing you.
Speaker 3: On a keyboard? Yeah, I'm just mimicking. I'm just mimicking. I had no clue that I was doing cool chords until fifteen year later. I was like, wait a minute, my mama showed me these chords, and like she's my she's my interest to jazz, you know, like she's how I got into it, as well as gospel, but it's specifically jazzed by taking a song like Amazing Grace and jazzing it up and making it sound the way I recorded it. Those are all her chords. Like I didn't even like arrange more than her chords.
Speaker 2: I know, playing in church because I played in church I sung in church can be very intimidating because there's a very educated and discriminating crowd. If you will, they want you to play old time religion music as I call it, the way they want to hear it, and they can be very unforgiving.
Speaker 4: Was that your experience coming up in the church kind of Yeah.
Speaker 3: I grew up in a church that was age older, average age older, and they already knew what they wanted to hear, and they didn't want no kids coming in there. Yes, the worship service, So if I wanted to play, if I wanted to be a part of it, I had to learn the hymns and the devotional songs and the songs that make the mothers move. And once I did that, I was able to play more frequently, and church became a full time job. But I'm so happy that I learned what I learned through church because it literally set up the musician and the man I am today.
Speaker 2: I grew up in the church and I listened to what they call church music and you know, sanctified music. But it wasn't until I went to my mother's my father's mother's house in Lynchburg, Virginia, down south, and most of us.
Speaker 4: Oh yes, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, I've been there. I've been there, yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: And if you listen to the stations, a lot of more just gospel stations. And I heard this one song and I'm this is nineteen eighty nine, so you're maybe two years old or so. And it was precious memories James Cleveland and Aretha Franklin. That completely changed me because it was the first time music touched me.
Speaker 4: When did it start touching you?
Speaker 3: Man?
Speaker 4: I should say the meanings and the words? Oh man, how old were you? How old were you when you said that happened?
Speaker 2: I was about seventeen or eighteen when I started taking it for myself. It started me. You know, my Christianity meant something in my life. It wasn't like my parents' religion. It was mine.
Speaker 4: At that point, I.
Speaker 3: Would probably say the same age maybe, if not before. I know when I first started singing in church. When I first started singing in church, I was really young. I was probably like seven, eight, nine, ten somewhere around there. And the first few times it was just like I was just trying to get through a song. But I never forgive, forget. After bout a year or two into that, about I was about maybe eleven twelve, I sung a song called thank You Lord and and uh, and I was like, man, this is touching me.
Speaker 4: You that one tag. That's the tag at the end.
Speaker 3: But shout out to my godfather, Bishop Jeffrey White Brooklyn, New York, who had wrote a song that had some changes in the beginning of it and then concluded with that refrain.
Speaker 4: At the time, I just wanted to thank you. He put a verse on it.
Speaker 3: Well, when I think of the goodness and all He done for me, every song across Hallelujah, I think God was saving me and it goes through these changes. It's really nice and just one to say thing, but do do do don't boom boom bootoop. It was like all like a big deal and the church has been pridey eyes out does that movie. I know when I performed, and I'm not a performer like you. I'm not trying to quit myself too, but I know that there are moments in service where you may think you're not reaching someone, you're not touching someone. You know, the spirit's not moving, you think, and then someone comes up afterwards and just said, you touch me, you talk to me.
Speaker 4: You know, you were ministering directly to me. Does that happen often for you? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, very often to this day happens And I'm very touched by that because you just never know, you know, and that's when you know it's not about you, and you know it's not about you know, your feelings. It's really about being in the presence and like just trying to fulfill the task, which is to play music in high spirit and the touch people. And as long as I'm doing that, it's like it's cool. I could think I'm, you know, spar terrible, but I may and my friends say as long as we blessed people, as long as blessed people, we did our job.
Speaker 2: So joining me in studio right now is Corey Henry, multi time Grammy nominated artists. In fact, he's nominated this year the show. The broadcast telecasts will be this Sunday. He's nominated in the Roots Gospel Album category. I just call it traditional gospel, old time religion, you know, my favorite type of gospel music. So Corey Henry's gonna be hanging out with us in studio for a moment. Also on Grammy's Eve Saturday at the Sun Room in West Hollywood at eight thirty Pmry Henry and Friends, the Grammy Jam and Evening of Healing and Celebration through Music will be taking place. In fact, we will have a pair of tickets to give away later on this evening, but keep it right here. It's Later with Mo Kelly CAFI AM six forty. We are live everywhere in the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: And joining me in the studio is Corey Henry. He's up for a Grammy Award in the Roots Gospel Album category. That is going to be on Sunday, But Saturday ninth to night before on Grammy's Eve at the sun Rose in West Hollywood at eight thirty pm will be Corey Henry and friends, Grammy Jam and evening of healing and celebration through music. We'll be talking about that in just a moment. But Corey, let me come back to Brooklyn Native. Where did your professional career begin? Just playing in the church, and then there's the business of music where you go out and start creating your own musical history and legacy.
Speaker 4: I started, I.
Speaker 3: Mean, I guess you said the business of it maybe around sixteen seventeen. I started getting calls for gigs outside of church, and then I started going to a club called the Village Underground on West Third every Sunday night.
Speaker 4: I used to sneak in actually as a teenager.
Speaker 3: As a teenager, excuse me, they used to have a soul open mics or you know, actually used to even be called like a gospel open mics back in the day before it switched to like, you know, everything else whatever. It was one of the first places I saw an Oregon outside of the church, and it really interests me into, you know, wanting to be down there. And I got one of my first main gigs with Kenny Garrett, and I tour with Kenny Garrett for two three years. He came down there and saw me playing down there one day and just actually go with him. I tour with Kimbarell and so many people from that club. So around age is sixteen seventeen eight, teens started getting real and then I started taking gigs around the city and it was just.
Speaker 2: You know, any pushback from family because sometimes and I know, okay, you know where I was going with this, because there is a very closed environment about the church. You should only use your talents for the to uplift God, and out in the secular world is the devil that's the Devil's work, and we know the history of like a Ray Charles or Retha Franklin and how there was that push pull.
Speaker 4: So you're saying you had the same push pull.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, and it's amazing that you mentioned Ray Charles or Aretha Franklin. I think about them often, especially over the last fifteen years in terms of career and the road map, because there was two people that and Billy Preston and I include into this that like took their talents from the church and didn't really change much and like you know, went all the way with what they had and that inspired me and it still does inspire me. And yes, I got so much pushback from people in church pastors who I've played for my entire life. Uh, you know, people who I've known since I was a kid. You know, people said to me to some of the craziest things, and I was just like, wow, that's wild, that's wild. But now it's you know, it's thirty years later, twenty years later, what it is, and uh, thank god. You know, I'm okay and I'm standing on my own two feet despite what some people have told me, which was really wild, you know to think about, you know, somebody's one thing. Somebody said, So I said, you ain't gonna be annoying it no more like God, think of the hand off you.
Speaker 4: I was like, what, Yeah, wild church folk can be very territorial.
Speaker 2: It's interesting you mentioned Billy Preston, who used to be the organist at my church when I was at Brooklyns.
Speaker 4: What be serious?
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 4: Yes? What the why?
Speaker 2: Preston brookings A and me? This was early two thousands or so. Yes, wow, yes, to be to see him play on Matt Hammond B three up close where it was at Brooklyn's and me. I don't know if Amy was on loss In like fifty eighth Street, Yes, you were, you were still a child, but I can say.
Speaker 4: It was It was a it was a learning session, let me tell you.
Speaker 2: But I'm quite sure my list of luminaries that I've been around probably pales to yours very quickly. Who else have you had the privilege or pleasure to play with over the years? I just gave a short list, like Bruce Springsteen, So are you posted recently with.
Speaker 4: Stevie Wonder and other people?
Speaker 3: Who?
Speaker 4: Who else comes to mind of that list? Oh?
Speaker 3: Man, Well, Stevie Wonders like at the top of it. So that's one of the.
Speaker 4: Most people's Yeah, after that.
Speaker 3: It's like it's crazy, But uh, who else comes to the list off top? I'm still kind of hyped about Kanye. I worked on Donda's record. I'm still hyped about uh Rosalia. I won a Latin Grammy with Rosalia last year or the year before.
Speaker 2: Rather, did you see how I just slid that I want to Latin gress last year?
Speaker 4: Just what I caught it.
Speaker 3: It just love itIt just just love it. I'm excited about that. Let me think there's probably like two other people that I've imagined Dragons I made a record with them, and excited about that.
Speaker 4: Uh man.
Speaker 3: I've been making a lot of music over the last you know, five to seven years, ten years.
Speaker 4: Across a lot of genres.
Speaker 2: And I was talking about how you had these different nominations and traditionally musically different categories from progressive R and B and jazz and hip hop, and is it all just music in your head or do you actually have a partition in between.
Speaker 3: No, it's just music, you know. I just want to serve the music. And I'm so glad that I get calls from people in different you know, genres, different categories, different you know, types of music, and they just called me to do my thing, you know, and I'm like, wow, how can I, you know, do my thing in this style of music and make it feel however they wanted to do or whatever I think it should. And they trust me to do that, And I think that's a huge blessing to be just.
Speaker 4: To just do that.
Speaker 2: Is there a day which goes by in which you do not touch the keys? Or is that a part of your daily regimen where I get up, I'm going to stretch, you know, I'm going to fix my breakfast, and I'm going to record some things for radio. In other words, there's not a day that goes by in which I'm not doing something as part of my craft.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Do you have days where like I just can't look at a keyboard today? Yeah, it's crazy.
Speaker 3: Like Like as you said that, I was like, did I touch a keyboard today? I don't know, But I did touch two K today. So you know, that's kind of fight. That's kind of my day job.
Speaker 4: How many hours.
Speaker 3: As many as I listen, I'll tell you the truth. If I would have known that the game and industry would be like it, is I probably would have never been on tour. I would have never been on tour. But uh, but but no, there's definitely days where I go by uh and maybe play just you know, ten minutes, you know, instead of three hours.
Speaker 4: You know, do you.
Speaker 3: Practice or you just play? At this point mainly playing. Uh, there's a little bit of practice. Like recently, I was trying to work on just independence, left hand independence and counter melodies, you know, and I was like, oh, this is fun. I got a piano in my house. I didn't really grow up with a piano. I grew up with an organ. I'm an organ by nature, by heart especial.
Speaker 2: People don't know if they haven't seen a ham in B three there are multi level keyboards.
Speaker 4: There's there's a pedal you play with your feet explaining that please Yeah.
Speaker 3: The ham and organ is what I would I would call the first synth and it works as like flying an airplane or something.
Speaker 4: There's about nine drawbars for a preset.
Speaker 3: That means there's a nine different sound uh sound pieces that can help you create a sound per preset, which in the presets on the left side of the organ, it has foot pedals, it has a volume pedal, it has a tremolo switch and the sound is controlled by something that's called the Leslie speaker. And let me think, yeah, and it's I want to say, it's probably the most soulful you know, instrument, you know, I've ever heard of, I ever heard.
Speaker 4: So Yeah.
Speaker 3: I had an organ, and I grew with an organ in my house and that was home base, especially playing in church because church had organs in it. But I didn't grow with a piano. And I got a piano about a year or so ago from somebody who gifted to me. It was a crazy thing, crazy story, but they gifted me this piano. And I've learned so much more music and about myself. Rather because I think that a piano makes you like honest, I feel like it's an honest instrument, and because I have to be honest on it, I've been like challenging myself in ways that I haven't done on the organ. It's still yeah, yeah, and it's fun. It's like, oh wow, let me see if my left hand can compete with my right hand, and do you know, you know, different rhythms and you know, support it differently, or solo with my left hand instead of solo with my right hand or you know, just trying different stuff on the piano soars.
Speaker 4: Later with mot Kelly.
Speaker 2: My guessing studio is Corey Henry as we talk about his Grammy nominated album Church. We'll have more with Corey Henry and your chance to get tickets to the sun Rose in West Hollywood on Saturday Night. It's Corey Henry and Friends, Grammy Jam and evening of healing and celebration through music.
Speaker 1: You're listening to. Later with Moe Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: Kelly, We're live every Monday I Heart Radio app. I'm joining the studio by Corey Henry. Corey, did you recognize where that was that I pulled that from that music of yours?
Speaker 4: Yes? I did.
Speaker 3: It's when you say it was trum Well, I said, you can say you were playing.
Speaker 2: It was an informal jam at nom in twenty sixteen sixteen, and you and it said Nick Nixon just sat down at the keyboards.
Speaker 4: He was playing I'll say the piano keyboard. Yeah, that's good.
Speaker 2: And you were playing what exactly, why would you describe the instrument? You were on an electric organ and you all just started jamming the beauty of the spontaneous creation of true musicians. And if there's a video, you can find it on YouTube. And all these music merchants as it were, were coming around and they started filming and looking at doing and on and to see that happen and tell me the story about how it organically took place. Oh, it sounds like there's a story behind the story.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, at that time, I was going now every year, and I was spending on some time looking at some new instruments, and we was on tour. Me and the Funk Apostles were on tour, so we were all together filming and making a new album around that time. The Art of Love album, I believe, was the record we was working on. And you know, me and sim Rat. Sim Rad is like my right hand man that as it comes down to keyboards, he's one of my favorite, if not my favorite keyboard player to play with. He plays on my band, the Funk Apostles, And one of the reasons why he's my favorite is because, like in the band on Churchy Charles, you know when you get down, he get down, and when you see him you want to know that he can get down and he get down but don't let the smooth taste for you, you know what I mean. So he'd be pulling out hymns and just going crazy. So we we we did that maybe once or twice that day. He pull out of him or I pull out of him and he'll play, I'll play. Uh. But we stopped at a booth and I remember us. I remember he was kind of like me and him be preaching back and forth to each other. So uh so I think he had said so I don't feel nowhere it started started playing, and I just remember cracking up, laughing, and you know, and and uh. And we do that in soundtrack pretty often, actually, you know, almost every day.
Speaker 4: So we were just doing something that is, you know, that was regular.
Speaker 3: To us and didn't realize that they would, you know, bless so many people, and for it to go as crazy as it did is.
Speaker 4: Uh years ago. Yeah, it is. It's a long time time is fly is winding up?
Speaker 2: Speaking of time coming up on Saturday, just two days from now, it's going to be Corey, Henry and friends.
Speaker 4: We're not going to tell you who the friends are. You just gonna have to show up.
Speaker 2: But well, actually you're gonna have to get these tickets because the show is sold out. Talking about the Grammy Jam and evening of healing and celebration through music. In fact, they'll be taking donations at the door for an Altadena family who was impacted by the fire. Tell me more about this event.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I felt like, you know, we are celebrating the Grammys and my nomination for my album, The Church Album, but it felt like just celebrating at this time is kind of.
Speaker 4: It's kind of crazy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's just kind of crazy to just be celebrated and outside gallivant and just being outside while people are being affected and still affected by what's going on here in California. Yeah, so I wanted to bring some attention to it in a way that I felt is safe and okay and approved and really want to, you know, help as much as I can, and we felt like this was one way. We've also donated to a few charities, and you know, just want to continue to do what I just I just want to continue to do what I can to help whoever I can that's going through right now.
Speaker 2: Give me a number between one and ten, please nine, All right, we're going to open up the phones. Call her number nine if you would like to go see Corey Henry and Friends at the sun Rose on Saturday at eight thirty pm. You and a guest give us a call call her number nine to see Corey Henry and Friends. Can I get you stay over one more seven and close out this hour on the show.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we're here, man, all right, let's do this. Let's do it.
Speaker 2: It's Later with Mo Kelly. If I am six forty live everywhere in the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: Kelly six, We're live everywhere in the iHeartRadio app. Did you recognize that voice?
Speaker 4: Is that? No? Who is it? Mark Kipple?
Speaker 3: I was gonna say that take six, Yes it is. I didn't know it to be common, but yeah, yes, totally.
Speaker 4: Yeah, freend of the show. Known Mark for a long time.
Speaker 2: Interview takes six And when I started the show back in twenty twenty three, he reached out and did those just because Wow, Yeah, that's so cool. I got some history in this bitness, man, that is so cool. Corey Henry joins me in studio. Grammy nominated and I know from the years I worked at the Grammys many many years ago. It can be a very long day, and it can be an un glamorous day, especially if you go to the non televised portion, which may start at four four thirty, and you can be sitting there. If you go to the televised version, which I expect you to go to as well, until after eight.
Speaker 4: Then you go to the parties. You gotta go to the parties.
Speaker 2: It's official Grammy party and every record label has their own individual parties.
Speaker 4: Do you still go to them? I have went to them, right, That's why I said, do you still?
Speaker 3: I don't know. We're gonna see. This year is gonna be different. My Grandmama's coming down. Oh h And I mean the party is wherever Doctor J goes. She is Grammy nominated as well, so you know, as much as she want to party, then our gool parties. We're gonna go to all the parties. But if she don't want a party, we're just gonna go get some food and hang out and do something chill. That is all right, It is all right, yeah yeah. Do you still get nervous at all?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 3: Yes, I do, yeah, yeah, whenever I am not prepared or don't know what the road map is going to be to a particular thing.
Speaker 4: It can be a little nerve wrecking, but.
Speaker 3: I try to overcome it with good thoughts and.
Speaker 2: Working out what's it like being in that Grammy environment coming up on Sunday. I know what it is, just in a professional capacity, but I was never sitting out there going to hear my name is one of the nominees in the various categories.
Speaker 4: What is that experience?
Speaker 3: Like? Oh, no, that's nerve wrecking. Uh, yeah, that part is nerve wrecking. Every year I've been nominated for the last four to five years, every time it gets to my category, I started getting almost an anxiety attack or something. It's like really weird and so much expectations on or wanting to win. My expectations be so high. Okay, so yeah it's out there. You're not one of those oh just happy to be nominated. You you want the statute? You have to grammar phone.
Speaker 4: Yes, I want to win. I didn't come. I didn't come this fall not to win. I want to win.
Speaker 3: Oh that's a little bit competitive side of me. But I'm actually really excited to be totally honest, no jokes, desire to just be in a number.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: I am very happy to just be and honored to be considered amongst my peers and have my music recognized the way it has been. So that's you know, from the from my heart where it stands when I'm in these rooms and especially when it's coming up, but personally at the same time, at the core, I get really anxious and nervous and and and when I haven't won the last few years, it's like, oh man, I always have to bring myself back to reality because the people that I am quote unquote you know, losing to are my friends. And I've been on so many records, like like I lost a Lucky Day. I was like, I want his record, though it is I kind of won, Like it's okay, likes it's not the same, Yeah, it's not. Yeah, but it's not a big deal, you know, Like it's okay. Michelle and Degello, that's my homie, Like, like I love these people, you know, I make music with these people. So it's really like, oh my lord, she's one of the greatest. So you know, it's like a blessing to be in this position to be able, you know, like I said, to be recognized and just to be in the number, to be recognized from my music.
Speaker 4: It means the world to me for.
Speaker 2: An off the wall question, but you may have a feeling about it recently or semi recently. Quincy Jones past, and I know that he had an impact and imprint on you.
Speaker 4: Who was he to you?
Speaker 1: Man?
Speaker 3: I don't like Quincy Jones is because he was like like I can just say that he was like my uncle from far away, like like my big homie. You know, every time we was together there was you know, information that he passed down to dances to me, something he says, a joke or a he could get raw, very very very and but it's all like he's so much wisdom and it's so much you know, heart and passion and soul behind almost everything he does. And I've seen and witness and it's been a blessing to be connected to him, Uh it was. It's been a blessing to play in front of him numerous the times he's and work with him. You know, It's just I'm still really you know, sad about his passing and his legacy will live, you know, forever to all of us.
Speaker 2: He is Corey Henry. The new album the Grammy nominated album is Church. I'm just gonna let you know I'm pulling for him to win on Sunday for the Roots Gospel Album category. Also on Saturday, Corey, Henry and Friends and Evening of Healing and Celebration through Music his Grammy Jam Saturday, eight thirty pm at the sun Rose. And you know, I think I might be able to get a ticket so I can get there. If so, I will see you there on Saturday. Corey, you are welcome in the studio on this show at any time. It's been an honor and pleasure, and I'm pulling for you, brother.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much. We thanks for having me on the show Man.
Speaker 4: KFI AM six forty live everywhere in the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty