Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI A M six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: White House National Security Advisor Mike Waltz is apparently set to leave the administration, according to a couple of people talk to the AP also being reported by CBS ABC The Wall Street Journal. Waltz was the one that came under scrutiny in March after the revelations that he had added Jeffrey Goldberg, an editor for The Atlantic magazine, to a private text chain on the encrypted messaging app Signal. Laura Lomer, apparently one of the allies of President Trump with no real official government position, has also targeted him, telling Trump in a recent Noble Office conversation that Trump needs to purge aids who she believes are not sufficiently loyal to the make America Great Again agenda?
Speaker 1: Are we just going to one more than I'm allotted?
Speaker 2: I just want everybody to follow along with the idiocy of people saying I've listened to you for years and I know everything you've ever said.
Speaker 3: You know, you guys have no credibility about talking about the way someone speaks or the way they think, what about Biden. I listen to you guys for years, and you guys already ever said anything about abuse?
Speaker 1: Sir, did you make fun of your grandpa with dementia?
Speaker 4: Me?
Speaker 1: Neither? Or I'm done with that.
Speaker 5: Okay, We're done.
Speaker 1: Ye close the door.
Speaker 2: From this point on it is going to be what would be Shannon's stripper song after that.
Speaker 5: That's all I want to pals with it.
Speaker 1: I'm open for that kind of feedback. We are dealing with in Los Angeles and nearly billion dollar budget shortfall, and now we're hearing that some of the job cuts are going to land squarely with the LAPD. Michael Monks has been following this all the detritus that is downtown LA. One was on there. Here's my issue, just being an observer for twenty years here in LA. If you cut jobs from the LAPD, Michael, it doesn't take away work from the LAPD, which means you're dealing with something that the LAPD knows all too well. And that little thing is called overtime, which is going to cost the city a hell of a lot more than those positions. Am I wrong?
Speaker 5: Hopefully not according to the city.
Speaker 6: I mean or or hopefully so according to the city, because it's not just jobs are being eliminated, the overtime budget is also being slashed.
Speaker 1: Impossible.
Speaker 6: All of these things are an attempt to help close that one billion dollar budget shortfall. Now, when the budget was first proposed by Mayor Bass a couple of weeks ago, it was noted, yes, there are layoffs in the LAPD proposed, but no sworn officers.
Speaker 5: So okay, a sigh of relief.
Speaker 6: Maybe maybe they're talking about, you know, somebody who answers the phones as a secretary or that type of person, a driver. But apparently to the chief, these are significant roles that do directly involve themselves in justice in solving cases. And like you said, if those folks are gone, it will be sworn officers that have to fill those roles. Chief McDonald's spoke to the La City Council Budget Committee yesterday and here's a little bit of what he had to say about it.
Speaker 5: Give me, I'm sorry, I could have set that up a little bit better. Here you go.
Speaker 7: The mayor's proposed budget includes a staggering reduction of four hundred and three civilian positions, representing fifteen point two percent of our civilian workforce. These are not faceless numbers. There are men and women who've devoted their lives to public service, often behind the scenes, with specialized skills, ensuring that our officers have the tools, data, and operational support they need to keep our city safe. Their work is essential and their loss is not just a human one, but one that will be felt by every neighborhood in our city.
Speaker 1: I have a question here. Tracy Park council member was quoted as saying that officers would be taken off the street to fill jobs like criminalists who handle DNA, gun duy evidence things like that. Those are different things. Those are different.
Speaker 5: Jobs they are.
Speaker 1: Don't take a patrol officer and make hey or she a criminalist in the lab.
Speaker 6: She was joined by a couple other members of council a timmic Oscar and John Lee yesterday before the Chief spoke to you know, deride these proposed cuts in the department. She may be technically incorrect on who would fill those roles, but the chief did say it would be sworn officers who are pulled off the streets to do some of these desk jobs. He's talking about DNA ballistics analysis, so that's directly involved in criminal analysis and investigation, but it off toying evidence and that sort of thing. So vehicle mechanics are also in the chopping block, so when the cruisers go down. We ran into this problem, yeah, during the fires with some trucks that were parked and not in use because they say we don't have enough guys to fix the So that might be looming on the horizon for the police department. He says the chief that we might have to shut down facilities, including jails, if we don't have this type of workforce.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of crying wolf, isn't there when any department is cut into But we need this or else, and then they throw a worst case scenario at you to scare you into them being able to keep the jobs. But the LAPD right now is kind of there when it comes to they they're already running very low at the LAPD. It's kind of like the same thing with the animal services that we talked about. They're already running at a deficit. These aren't bloated agencies.
Speaker 6: I don't think on paper they want about ten thousand officers. They've got somewhere between eighty five hundred and eighty eight hundred, depending on how many retirements have common during whichever month. They've had a hard time filling the ranks. And they are budgeted for about ten thousand officers, so they get the money asigned, but they have not been able to fill the ranks, and so at some point a question has to be asked, if your recruitment efforts aren't working, what do you need to do as a department, either to improve that effort or to improve your efficiencies to better deliver protective services to the people of Los Angeles with the resources that you have currently. One question that was raised by council Member Eunisses Hernandez very anti police department, especially with their budget. She wanted them to ground their helicopters and Chief McDonald explained that the helicopter does fly about twenty hours a day, and she says is that necessary? And he says it's necessary because it's easier to have it already in the air than to call it off a building should it be needed. But that's a question that was raised yesterday.
Speaker 1: Sure that I understand that question.
Speaker 6: Absolutely, and so we'll see more of those questions you mentioned Animal Service. All of these departments are coming through to lead their case about why these cuts would be detrimental to their various departments. It might be departments that you never deal with. The arts and culture departments will come in and say, you know, we won't be able to have the events that mean so much too whatever.
Speaker 1: The people will die, will die.
Speaker 5: Without that painting on the walls.
Speaker 6: So today, the homeless spending is on the agenda and that's going on right now at City Hall and I'll have those reports throughout the remainder of the day. But just to put a pen in this for you, you mentioned overtime. The mayor is proposed reducing the overtime budget in the LAPD by thirty six million dollars, and the Chief says that means less deployment to target areas like Nis Beach, MacArthur Park, the RV Homeless Camp Task Force. So you will see fewer people on the streets because of this, even if officers aren't being laid off.
Speaker 5: Thankless job. Jim McDonald has a thankless job, right.
Speaker 1: Well, well, I mean, let's let's not pretend that overtime hasn't been overused by people who protect and serve. That is as long as that has been an occupation. It has been overused, but it is necessary, especially when the department is strained unfortunately. So all right, Michael Monks, we've got a lifeguard emergency and you were a lifeguard rag Doll.
Speaker 5: I think rag Doll would be your stripper song Aerosmith. Oh really, that's a good one.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 5: I think you'd be great at it. Yes, I was a ragged I was a lifeguard. Yeah, that's it.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 5: Oh, you know it.
Speaker 1: I don't like it. I don't know.
Speaker 5: That's helmer.
Speaker 1: Got a cute that was quick, pretty quick?
Speaker 5: Yep.
Speaker 2: Lifeguard life and a chance for you to win ten thousand bucks when we come back.
Speaker 5: Gary and Shannon will continue.
Speaker 4: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI. AM six forty.
Speaker 5: Is an I choreograph it? Yeah, let me coorey.
Speaker 6: You know I did some musical theater back in Cincinnattie. I think I will trust you. We'll let the hair down in the middle of the set.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, interesting? Am I in trouble to singing travel? How far can we go? One of the big stories today broke I love.
Speaker 1: Guys in the same room with me?
Speaker 2: At the same time, White House National Security Advisor Mike Waltz is expected to leave the Trump administration. It's been reported in a couple of different major media outlets. This developed what would be the first major staff shakeup of the second Trump term.
Speaker 5: He come and came under fireback in March.
Speaker 2: If you remember when when Mike Waltz added journalist Jeffrey Goldberg to a private text chain that was discussing planning for a military operation against who the militants in Yemen. Nothing official from the White House. The President did speak at a National Prayer Day event outside the White House in the Rose Garden today but did not make comments about Mike Waltz. So we'll talk more about it we get into swamp Watch at the top of the hour. Before we get back, we have a chance for you to win one thousand dollars.
Speaker 4: Now your chance to win one thousand dollars. Just enter this nationwide keyword on our website happy. That's happy Happy. Enter it now at KFIAM six forty dot com. Slash cash Howard by Sweet James Axe Attorneys. If you're hurting an accident, winning is everything, call the Winning Attorneys at Sweet James One eight hundred nine million. That's one eight hundred nine million, or sweet James dot.
Speaker 2: Com microphone on your keyword is happy, it goes on the website. We'll do it again an hour from now. Give you a shot at one thousand bucks.
Speaker 1: We have talked about the algae bloom that has taken a toll on local beaches, a lot of dead animals, sea lions, dolphins. It has been awful and now we're seeing lifeguards have to take mental health leaves because of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they say that a lot of them have feelings. They care about marine life. That's why they chose a job like being lifeguards. One of the reasons they chose the profession. And when you see dolphins sea lions come ashore, they're still alive. They do the best they can to make them comfortable, but obviously it doesn't work out many times, and that can take a toll.
Speaker 1: Michael Monks is from Kentucky and a.
Speaker 5: Lot of dolphins, sea lions, And I got it, Pricks.
Speaker 2: You know I was a lifeguard. You were deep in pig pig butt hollow.
Speaker 1: How does that work?
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's the county seat. I'm surprised at your geographic knowledge. Yeah, well, being a lifeguard is a pretty sweet gig in general. Now these are you know, the beach lifeguards. You start to get into like, oh, where was I lifeguard? I was a lifeguard on campus. I don't want to brag about my undergraduate education, but it was at Northern Kentucky University. Oh my god, amazing and the aquatic Center. I was also in the summers a lifeguard at a country club. And then the summer after I graduated, I couldn't get off of Kentucky fast enough, so I worked at a sleep away summer camp in the Poconos. And so I was a lifeguard at the pool there and also the dreaded lake.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 6: Yeahs die, not that I'm aware of.
Speaker 5: There were a couple of floaters, but I don't think it was on my shift.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I feel like whenever there's a camp these days, whether it's a book or a movie, someone dies.
Speaker 5: This was a summer camp.
Speaker 6: You got the vibes because all the movies are shot at those places and they all look the same. And that was all I could think. Not a good choice on my part, Not a good I should have just left town and moved to LA or something.
Speaker 5: But I don't know. I got a memoir out of.
Speaker 1: It, Yes, story exactly, So go on. Sorry.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: And so when you're that kind of lifeguard me that you know, this is the casual after class or in the summertime, it's a pretty good gig. Very rarely are you needed to do anything to save someone. It happens, and you're there for that purpose. Mostly you're doing the mundane maintenance of the pool, changing the chlorine and making sure that the people to stop running. Stop running is what you say the most. No running, you know. And you're trolling the whistle to the left and then you're trolling it to the right, and then your shift is over. It's a great gig and you get a tan if it's outside. These are pro lifeguards who are dealing with significant tragedy right that they can't save. When you are lifeguard, you were trained to save, right, and these are animals.
Speaker 1: Give mouth to mouth to a dolphin that's succumbed to algae.
Speaker 5: No, you don't want to put your mouth mouth to blowhole.
Speaker 2: Probably mouth to blowhole is that the way it would go in I've never tried, sounds like you have, Okay, I have, but it didn't work.
Speaker 6: Well, you're talking about some beloved creatures, the dolphin, the sea lion. He's trying to put the trade on the trail, the birds, and.
Speaker 1: You're talking about some beloved animals.
Speaker 6: It's not a rat you ran over in downtown l A. Okay, these are animals that you We've talked about this before, Shannon. There are tears of feelings for animals, right. Depending on the type of animal, you have different feelings a pigeon.
Speaker 1: Ken Champeau is the architect of the animal hierarchy. He famously would say, I would not eat a horse.
Speaker 5: So there's not really like a bold position.
Speaker 1: No, but that was the top of his higher you know. He didn't want, you know, animals, and further down you would eat them, but up at the top you would not eat.
Speaker 6: I think you go farther down, I wouldn't eat those animals either. I wouldn't need a rat. I'd need a horse before I eat a rat, would you. I would eat a horse burger before you gave me a rat sandwich.
Speaker 1: I mean from a morality perspective is where they hierarchy comes from. The things you'd feel bad about eating. You would feel bad about eating a you wouldn't want to, but if it came down to it, you went and feel like, oh it's so cute.
Speaker 5: I don't know that I.
Speaker 1: Would more in the majestic animal. Yeah, I might more eat a majestic animal.
Speaker 6: I think about my cat this way though, like, what if it came, what if the apocalypse comes?
Speaker 1: The cat will eat you before you eat the cat.
Speaker 2: He will try and has tried. I've got to scratching my arm right now, on your forearm. You know that's where they go?
Speaker 5: Is that where they go? But you die?
Speaker 2: That's the first thing your cat. It's not even that flesh groom. That's not the good meat. I got better meat than forearms.
Speaker 1: Now that's where cats go.
Speaker 5: Like the forearm must be tender or something.
Speaker 1: What's your cat's name?
Speaker 5: Milo, Milo Monks? Like you said, he was trying to put the show back on the tracks.
Speaker 1: Well, all right, thanks Michael.
Speaker 5: Goodbye, goodbye. Remember remember no running.
Speaker 1: Twirl to the right, twirl to the left.
Speaker 5: Shifts over. Garry and Channon will continue in just a moment.
Speaker 4: You're listening to Gary Ian Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 1: I've everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. Stories We are following for you today? Is it the fan that fell off the no?
Speaker 5: No, no, brooks Lee. Oh kid who used to play at cal Poly Samuels Obispo's now playing for the Twins and hit a double.
Speaker 1: Oh thanks. I saw him play a bunch of times up at cal Poly. They keep playing the fan falling out of the stands thing. That's what I was wondering.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, No.
Speaker 2: My concern is they're going to start putting nets up in the outfield so people don't fall.
Speaker 1: I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often. Elon Musk is defending the work of Doge as he prepares to scale back from his role in government spend more time at his businesses. It did an interview with reporters at the White House yesterday giving hazy answers about the work he'd been doing, and Doge's future seemed taken aback by the backlash he has encountered. He has estimated he's cut one hundred and sixty billions so far and hard to get anywhere near close to his original stated goal of one trillion dollars. He said, it's sort of how much pain is the cabinet in Congress? Willing to take.
Speaker 2: Speaking of Elon Musk, the Wall Street Journal ran with a report today that Tesla was Tesla's board was looking at replacing Elon Musk. Board members reached out to executive search firms to work on a formal process. Elon Musk came out and said it is an extremely bad breach of ethics that the Wall Street Journal would even publish a deliberately false article and failed to include an unequivocal denial beforehand by the Tesla board of directors.
Speaker 1: Well, different influencers are popping up all over the place with different takes on things, whether it is true crime, influencers on TikTok as they do their makeup and pimp products, or what have you. God is no different influencers have popped up preaching about God and they are not preachers. Girls Gone Bible is what we're referring to. It is at the top of the religious podcast charts on Spotify, more than twenty million listens in just two years. Girls Gone Bible. These are a couple of women who have no formal training in ministry, but they have become unlikely religious authorities to a fan base larger than that of many of the nation's most popular preachers. It's a two microphone megachurch. They call it speaking to the nation's evangelical teen and tween girls. Will Hart is a pastor and director of Iris Global, a church with missions all over the world. He told these women, you're reaching more people than I've reached in twenty five years of ministry. He said, is that weird for you? It's weird for me, but it's beautiful.
Speaker 2: One of them is an Albanian immigrant. Came to the United States at the age of two, spent her high school years in Clearwater, Florida, graduated in twenty fourteen, and moved here to LA to study acting. She did get a couple of little roles, but she supported herself waiting tables.
Speaker 5: Everybody's heard heard that story before.
Speaker 2: Angela Haleiley and then Ariel Ritzma also came to LA right out of high school. She came to LA from Massachusetts, small town right outside of Boston, and after a rough start sleeping on the blow up mattress in a small apartment off of Hollywood Boulevard. Again, very common story. I'm sure everybody's got a version of that, she found an agent. She started acting in theater productions and started modeling, developed a small social media following and doing brand deals to pay the bills.
Speaker 1: Their fans say they're drawn in by these women's unique backgrounds. Both raised Catholic, journey to faith began with alcoholism, OCD, panic disorder, depression, and anxiety, all of which they just discuss on the podcast.
Speaker 2: If the message is it's a little uncomfortable, because I think that there's a certain amount of reverence, if that's the right word that should go with a discussion of faith.
Speaker 5: I think you're honest about it.
Speaker 1: I think whatever leads you to God leads you to God. And right, who are as anybody to say you didn't get to God the right way? Right? The point is you got to God. I think most people would argue.
Speaker 2: I think there's also that interesting moment when what turns what starts as just a normal conversation. One of them says to the other, you know what other people would like to listen to us have this conversation.
Speaker 1: Each ninety minute Girls Gone Bible episode generally follows the same format. Yeah, the first few minutes like a slumber party. They're catching up, they're joking around. Maybe it's a new haircut, or something, and then they launch into the topic of the day. It may be shame, it may be being single, it may be doubt or modesty. They read relevant passages from the Bible. Occasionally they will interview a guest. I love the idea of making the Bible applicable for your life and for things that make it more I don't know, applicable.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 1: It is also sometimes you read it and it's hard to relate to it, especially if you're a young person and you're like, what the hell are you talking about? I'm worried about this or this and this. And if you can take something from the Bible and make it make sense for what you're going through in life, I think that is a good thing.
Speaker 2: Well, and they discuss, among other things, I mean the hot topics because they're women, often deal with sexuality or looks. Angela says, I've leaned into using sexuality or looks as a means of fulfillment, only to find myself deeply, deeply disempowered. The world tells you this is what's empowered, and she says, we come to find out it is not that.
Speaker 1: This is why I tell you all the time that you don't need to come in here showing you know.
Speaker 5: As much leg as I do.
Speaker 1: It's you. It's your breasts that I feel like should be more private. You know, you don't need to show them around here to make people like you. You can. We know that they're there, We know that you know you're dealing with more than most, and good for you. But like that's not why we like you. We like you for who you are.
Speaker 5: I'm dealing with more than most.
Speaker 1: Sometimes the Good Lord blesses us in different ways. And the Good Lord saw your chest and he put his little magic wand on it, and he will.
Speaker 5: Two poofsoof.
Speaker 4: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 1: How about them Dodgers, My goodness, just bearing I mean, I guess it's more about the Marlins, isn't it. They've head back to back games of racking up the offense there. Austin Barnes had a hell of a night last night.
Speaker 5: Dodgers beat the Marlins twelve to seven last night.
Speaker 1: Tomorrow, Dodgers take on the Braves in Hotlanta, first pitch at four fifteen. Listen to all Dodger games on AM five seventy LA Sports and stream all Dodger games n HD on the iHeartRadio app. A keyword AM five seventy la sports Zen. She handcrafted sushi made fresh daily at routes near the deli counter. You know who I heard Conway talking about who loves that Zen? She sushi is Tim Kates?
Speaker 5: Really so Tim.
Speaker 1: Kate's always walking around here with sushi sushi. But then maybe that's an afternoon treat for Tim Kates because we usually see him in the morning.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we don't see him with sushi when he's eating chili dogs. Lakers lost to the Minnesota Timberwolves. Lakers are out, They're awful. How could they be awful with Lebron James and Luka Doncic don Dunkic, don'tche.
Speaker 5: Luca. Lebron and Luca were supposed to be the saviors.
Speaker 1: Is that right?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Lebron is on borrowed time.
Speaker 5: Lebron's getting up there. Yeah, it's ironic to be hearing that from a woman in the autumn of her life.
Speaker 1: What I'm sorry, what I'm not you.
Speaker 2: I was just preferring if there was a woman who said that about Lebron is the old one, and then she was older than Lebron, it'd be kind of a.
Speaker 1: Well, he's playing a professional sport that men half of his age play, Yeah, like his son, Like I interviewed him when he was seventeen coming into the league, which was cool.
Speaker 5: How old were you?
Speaker 1: Probably twenty one a whole I'm not playing a professional sport at this age. I'm just living my life. I think I'm still allowed to do that.
Speaker 5: Even that's taking its tool. Guy.
Speaker 2: You have probably seen the video of this a man a critic condition after he dropped from the stands to the ground at a Pittsburgh Pirates game in Pittsburgh last night. Guys in critical condition at this point. They're saying it was an accidental twenty twenty one foot drop from his seat onto the field of play. He actually fell onto the warning track out right center field. It happened during a play. I think it was Andrew McCutcheon had hit a ball through the left side of the infield, so it's going to left field. This guy was in right center field, so everybody's attention, at least everybody on the field, their attention is away from him, and he kind of falls behind the outfielders and it's an awful looking fall. From the video from sort of behind home plate, you can see it happen where it's hard to tell if he's getting up to jump up to celebrate the fact that that was a base hit, because he kind of pushes himself up on the railing and then immediately goes forward over. It didn't look like anybody touched him or pushed him or anything like that.
Speaker 1: Was he drinking yeah, probably, yeah, But.
Speaker 2: The trainers for both teams immediately ran out to right center field and they had to get the stretcher out there. You could see the players were pretty shaken up by all of this because the guy was not moving when they got out there. It looked like he landed head next.
Speaker 1: I first, yeah, I didn't think that he was going to survive that fall by the look of it.
Speaker 2: The detectives from the Pittsburgh Police Department's Violent Crime Unit are leading the investigation into this, and again it doesn't appear that they're going to find anything.
Speaker 1: It's an accident.
Speaker 5: Full story.
Speaker 1: We will get to my favorite story of the day coming up later in the show. It is the Great Conclave secret. What do the cardinals the would be popes eat? Apparently I did not know this, but apparently for more than seven hundred and fifty years there have been in place strict rules that guard what cardinals can and cannot eat. Why why do they have weak stomachs?
Speaker 5: You ask, do they have weak stomachs or something?
Speaker 1: It's to prevent hidden messages stopped inside chicken ravioli and napkinss messages from whom some sort of peasant on the street that wants to tell which cardinal which pope to pick. I mean fascinating, right, very weird. Well, I mean, you know, it's not just the cardinals who There's a lot of politics that surround the picking of a pope. It's not just about God and religion. There's a lot of things that go into it. You got to follow the money too. Don't forget about the money.
Speaker 5: Involved, the idea that the food would be the vehicle for these messages.
Speaker 1: Dude, well, how else are you going to get a message to the cardinals? Great question, they're sequestered.
Speaker 2: If you miss any part of our ship, Oh, you can always go back and check out the podcast, post it every day right after the show. Go to KFIAM six forty dot com, slash Gary and Shannon, or on the iHeart app or anywhere you listen to podcasts, just type in Gary and Shannon comes up there. And then, of course on the weekends, we do that extra special Weekend Fix podcast, which is an episode that does not air during the week.
Speaker 1: There's been a bunch of renovations that Trump has made to the White House. Some of them we've seen, some of the golden touches in the Oval office, or the decorations like the the what was that aircraft that he does air Force one or the forty seven that we've seen displayed on the table there. We've got a list of all all of the renovations, pretty comical stuff.
Speaker 2: Gary and Shannon will continue right after this. You've been listening to the Gary and Shannon Show. You can always hear us live on KFIAM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.