Speaker 1: What would happen if a true crime enthusiast turned murderer? Would it result in the perfect killer? After all, they've done the research and they know how to avoid getting caught. Well, today we talk about this exact situation and how one true crime officionado tried to get away with what she called the perfect crime. This is the South Korean case of Jung Yu Jung.
Speaker 2: My name's Ben, I'm Nicole, and you're listening to Wicked and Grim, a true crime podcast.
Speaker 1: The following podcast material intended for a mature audience. Listener discretion is advice.
Speaker 2: There was that better?
Speaker 1: That was better? That took us like five fucking takes because Nicole forgot how to do our intro.
Speaker 2: I know we've only been doing this or how many years? And I was just like, what are you doing? Is that how it goes?
Speaker 1: How many years?
Speaker 2: Is it?
Speaker 1: Are we on year?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: This is gonna be the finish of year three? I think so so. And in February it's we're starting our fourth year or is.
Speaker 2: It twenty twenty one? That I don't even remember when year we started this.
Speaker 1: We don't even know what we're talking about, Huh, I don't know. Well, that's that's the pressures of the year that we've been going through. Twenty twenty four has been a wild ride, to say the least. I don't know about you guys, but we're definitely looking forward to the new year coming up.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, it's always nice to start like a fresh year. But then I don't know. I was talking to someone yesterday about it, how I was like excited for a new year, and because I was like, this one wasn't like the best year ever. But that's fine. But then you can always just change your attitude each day too, right, one hundred percent. So I'm like, you don't need a whole new year to change things.
Speaker 1: Up, No, it just it's it's nice to have that marker to look back on the last twelve months, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 1: I just went through our backlog real quick. Our first episode released on February eighth, twenty twenty one. Okay, so this is the end of our third year.
Speaker 2: Okay, wow, But.
Speaker 1: We also have just with the end of the year coming, we have Christmas coming up. It's officially December, right, so hopefully you guys are getting that Christmas shopping done. There was black Friday and Cyber Monday that just occurred, and some good deals out there.
Speaker 2: Hopefully there was some deals like left, right and center.
Speaker 1: No kidding, there was deals I believe on Red Bubble as well, which holds our merch, our new merch. Just after Halloween week we came up with some new merch. We did a big old revamp and got rid of a bunch of old design and put out some new ones. So if you're interested maybe Christmas gift for someone who you know who likes our show, you can go ahead and maybe support us while getting the best gift ever.
Speaker 2: Kidding, we haven't even gotten a new piece of.
Speaker 1: Merch yet, No, we haven't.
Speaker 2: What the heck's wrong with us?
Speaker 1: Well, we rock our old stuff like all the time, but yeah, we definitely need some of the new stuff. So let's maybe that's what we should do for Christmas, is just get each other our own merch for gifts. Yeah, it's not a bad idea, but we have quite the wild ride today. It's I mean, it's how am I going to word this correctly? Because I don't want to word it in a way that makes you not think in the same brain path of me. I can't think this morning. There's a way I can word this where it sounds bad, and I don't want to word it that way. Okay, So we are discussing a case that it's the most relatable that we've ever covered, and not to say relatable for everyone, because it's a blanket statement for us, all right, Because I mean we've covered some cases where you know, what a family member might have passed and that could have been the most relatable for someone, or you know, it may have dealt with children and that's most relatable for someone. So this is a blanket statement. When I say most relatable for us, I mean for us as a group all of us live listening, okay, because.
Speaker 2: We are into true crime.
Speaker 1: We are into true crime exactly. We're all clearly fans of the genre. Right, I think it's safe to say that. I mean, you're listening to a true crime podcast. We research, we produce one. And today's case involves a true crime fan, someone who became obsessed with these stories, which I mean, there's nothing wrong with, but beyond the boundaries of being healthy in this case, okay, so much so in fact, that she decided she needed to know what it was like to kill.
Speaker 2: Someone, Oh yeah, I'm honestly looking forward to this story because it's it's surprising, but it's not surprising.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree, And that's where I'm like, I want to word things right because there's that line of you know what, Like I've had this conversation with people before where they're like, oh, you enjoy true crime, Like how can you enjoy crime? It's like, I don't enjoy crimes occurring, but I enjoy hearing the stories like it's shocking. Like there's that line of understanding and not understanding, and it's a fine line. So yeah, yeah, but.
Speaker 2: Before we dive in, we've got a big old list of patrons to.
Speaker 1: Think we do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this was awesome. We know a lot of people sign up this week, thank you, Yes, oh freaking much.
Speaker 1: And they got another really awesome case at the end of November. I got to share what this case was. It was the sour Toe Cocktail.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was great.
Speaker 1: If you know, you know, if you don't trust me, it's a case that you want to hear, and you can hear it by signing up over on Patreon, like these people did. Brooke Davidson, Melanie Forget, Hannah Wilhelm Tammy d Lylah Wahlborn, Annie, Alison Maatos, Angie Rhodes, Stacy Martin, and Corey made sure to put an exclamation on their names.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, because I was like, you announced that last one with more enthusiasm.
Speaker 1: There's an exclamation there, so I have to That's how it works, wish. I love the So yes, thank you guys so much for signing up and supporting us over there. And like I said, they get that extra episode that came out and it's a gooderh it was.
Speaker 2: It was a fun one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, So are we Are we ready for this?
Speaker 2: I think so?
Speaker 1: I think so.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Okay. So to start off, we are heading to South Korea, traveling to the southern coastline to uncover this tale. Now, this takes place in the city of Busan, officially known as Busan Metropolitan City. This hub is quite the vibrant area and it is South Korean's secus second largest city, boasting a population of three nearly three point five million people and a staggering gross domestic product of seventy six billion US dollars, which is wild. That's a lot.
Speaker 2: That is so much.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So it's it's a thriving economic center to say the least, and Bussan is a city of motion where you know, commerce and culture are constantly you know, turning, and it all comes together in this one big hub. So before diving into this case, so I do want to take a moment to explore what makes Bussan so captivating too many people, as it may actually offer some insight into the psychologists psychology of the perpetrator.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: So, Busan is often called the creative city. It's a powerhouse of South Korea's film industry and a magnet for festivals, artistic gatherings. Nature lovers also flock here for it's stunning beaches and regumidating hot springs that occur there, breath taking coast landscapes. There's a perfect blend of arts and outdoors adventure to say the least. Like the city's prominence also extends like beyond this this culture and natural appear. But there is a lot of that. But it is also home to one of the world's most significant seaports. Port ranks sixth globally, handling almost twenty two million twenty foot shipping containers annually.
Speaker 2: Gosh, yeah, huh, that's what you would probably call a bustling.
Speaker 1: City one hundred percent a bustling city. Yeah, it's very easy to i mean, feel alone in a place like that, so much going on around you. Yeah, it's scary. How many people in bustling cities like that have that feeling of being so alone.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that is interesting, And I think we've mentioned it before, like we our city isn't huge or anything, but we have. We traveled to Vancouver quite often and being like in the skytrain, for example, you are literally like just next to so many people, but it's one of the places you feel the most alone.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's strange because everyone's in their own little bubble. Everyone has so much to do that everyone sees so many people, they don't you know, engage with every single person, right, Yeah, Whereas like you go to a small town, people will hold the door open for you, say hello or smile, and you know, maybe make a joke in the frozen foods aisle about the pizza that they had last week and how they don't recommend it or something like that. You know. Yeah, you don't get that in the large cities, at least not to the same degree. So it is very easy to feel alone.
Speaker 2: That's funny. I literally had this moment the other day where I was at in like a convenience store, grabbing a sandwich and someone was like, I had the rib one last week and it was really good. Oh thank you.
Speaker 1: See there we go. But yeah, we digress a little bit here. Despite this bustling economy, the vibrant lifestyle, Busan, much like South Korea, is regarded as a safe haven, even though it is you know, easy to feel alone. This reputation for security is part of what made today's case very shocking, which is kind of how it became quite widespread in this country with like crimes that are such rare, so rare like this. So yeah, this is boussain. This is where today's story takes place with an individual name of by the name of jung Yu jung So in the early mornings, sorry early hours of the morning of Monday, March twenty seventh, twenty twenty three. So this is last year. Yeah, very fresh case, no shit. A taxi driver in Bussin made a phone call that would set off a chain of events. At around three am. The driver had picked up a young woman carrying a large suitcase. So this is quite early in the morning. She flagged him down on the side of the street and asked to be dropped off near wooded area along Knakdong riverside, which is close to Hapo station. The request in itself was routine. I mean, the time of night was not abnormal, the location was not abnormal, the area was familiar to the driver. He's driven similar routes many times before, and their journey began with no incident. However, things took a little bit of a disturbing turn when the woman went to exit the taxi. As the driver helped him load her suitcase from the trunk, he noticed a dark liquid seeping from underneath it. Now it is quite dark outside right now, remember it's three am.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but he was.
Speaker 1: Curious and a little unsettled, and he kind of felt it on his hand. It was thick, wet and unmistakably red and it appeared to be blood.
Speaker 2: That was and this story was underneath the suitcase.
Speaker 1: It was leaking from the suitcase. So it was like, yeah, leaking out from the underside and has he like lifted it out and he like kind of noticed it and like looked at his hand and there it was Holy shit, Now, the woman was a little bit oblivious to this discovery. She didn't seem to notice that it was leaking, or that this man had noticed that it was leaking either, okay, and she moved towards the dark wooded area where she was requested to be dropped off with the suitcase and tow The driver remained calmed, concealing his panic. He waved goodbye and watched her disappear into the shadows, before returning to his vehicle the trunk of his vehicle to inspect it. He opened the trunk up from there and there it was a small pool of blood on the carpet of his taxicab, confirming his worst fears. Oh yeah, whatever was in that suitcase wasn't just ordinary luggage.
Speaker 2: WHOA what a wild? Like like why I was going to say ride, but it literally is a ride for him? Like that's insane.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's something you don't exactly expect to occur on your irregular shift. No, So the man, acting swiftly contacted South Korea's emergency service, dialing one one two, which is the equivalent of our North American nine to one to one. He detailed his account to authorities and they wasted no time, dispatching officers to the area. Within minutes, A search of the dense woodland near Knacktong Riverside began. So under the cover of the night and their flashlights shining through the trees, police uncovered a chilling scene. They didn't find the woman who had walked in there so willingly with the suitcase, but they did find mutilated body parts that were scattered across the ground. It was evident that this isolated area had been chosen to conceal a horrific crime.
Speaker 2: Oh so she went all the way out there, but she didn't bury any of the body, like any of the body just scattered it about.
Speaker 1: Correct.
Speaker 2: Huh.
Speaker 1: Now, she may have intended to do some burying. I don't know.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, but they like found they yeah, okay, may have.
Speaker 1: I don't believe so, But I'm not going to say she didn't because I mean, hey, I don't know what her intentions were, right, because.
Speaker 2: Right now listening to this, I'm like, what the hell, what the hell?
Speaker 1: What is it?
Speaker 2: Ain't the perfect crime?
Speaker 1: Lady, You don't why don't Why don't you think this.
Speaker 2: Is Well, look at how many mistakes she's already made.
Speaker 1: Like holy like what like what name them? Let's hear them?
Speaker 2: Well, the fact that I don't know, I feel like the fact that she hate there's so many the fact that she took like a cab to this the site I feel like isn't great, Like it'd probably been better to like rent the car or something, you know, okay, because you're introducing a potential with yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And the fact that I mean she wasn't aware that like the body is going to be leaking through this suitcase, like that's I mean, it's going to happen.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And then the fact that it's just like I don't know, not digging a hole, I guess, and just like placing the body in there, I mean, going to like a secluded area makes sense. But then I think you need to like you know, bury it and move on.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And I mean, honestly, I don't know what the knack Doong riverside like the park area looks like. But this is quite the bustling city, very dense population. So I'm imagining this isn't in the middle of nowhere, okay.
Speaker 2: Because see I'm thinking like our dense forests and stuff. No, and it's I'm sure it's much different.
Speaker 1: I'm assuming this is a still within the city, and I don't think even if she didn't have a witness, someone's probably going to find these remains sooner or later. So yeah, burying them would help conceal them for the long run.
Speaker 2: Because even like someone wanting to go to a park or whatever with a freaking Gina's suitcase is a bit weird.
Speaker 1: At three am. Yeah, yeah, so there's some suspicions there. I agree wholeheartedly with you. If you're going to be wanting to commit this perfect crime, you're fucking up so far. Well. Thanks to the driver's quick thinking and the evidence that was left behind, police were able to actually identify and track the woman back to her home within just three hours of stepping out of the taxi. The young woman was identified as twenty three year old Jong Yung Jung. Investigators were able to piece together her movements using surveillance footage from the area where the taxi had picked her up. The evidence, combined with the taxi driver's detailed account, what's compelling enough for authorities to secure a search warrant for her residence.
Speaker 2: She's young, she is twenty three.
Speaker 1: Now, it's important to note that South Korea has very stringent privacy laws regarding disclosure of names and details of individuals involved in criminal cases. Okay, so, since nineteen ninety one, these laws have been in place to protect both victims and suspects, ensuring their identities remain private. However, exceptions can be made under the Special Act of Punishment of Specific violent Crimes. This legislation allows for the release of information in cases of severe violence where public safety may be at risk. In this instance, the heinous nature of the crime justified revealing Jong Yung Jong's identity. You providing society with the awareness of this potential danger at large. Right, So her name was release because of that, you know, falling under the specific heinous nature whatever. Right, So, now who is Jong Yung jung? Well, at just twenty three year years old, Jong's life was shape with a mix of solitude and un aspirations. Born in nineteen ninety nine, she grew up in the northern district of Busaine with parents who were reportedly too busy to really care for her, so she was raised primarily by her grandfather, a figure who played a central role in her upbringing. For her, her academic journey was relatively unremarkable. She attended Kungji Girls High School, a private secondary school, where she was described as a bit of an odd kind of loner or an individual. Classmates recalled her as quiet, often sitting at the back of the classroom, detached from those around her. She wasn't bullied by any means, but neither did she make any meaningful connections with anyone. Any attempts from anyone to engage her were typically met with silence or a vacant stare from her, and after graduation, she largely severed any ties that she had with any peers. For the next five years. After graduating, John remained unemployed, dedicating her time to preparing for South Korea's Civil Service RI exam. This test was a gateway to careers in public service and requires a high level of English proficiency, a skill that proved to be a stumbling block for her. Now at twenty three, her English abilities were equivalent to someone in Korea at the high school level, adding to her challenges and frustration because she just couldn't quite seem to get the knack for this language. As time went on, her isolation deepened. She rarely ventured outside, avoiding forms of new social connections and showed little interest in expanding horizons. Jong's world grew smaller with each passing year, and by this point in her life, she had developed a deep fascination with the true crime genre. Her interest, though, went beyond casual curiosity. She was a true crime enthusiast to the point of obsession. Her collection included dozens of books and novels detailing murder cases, a steady stream of Korean true crime shows, and a particular fixation on certain serial killers. She constantly immersed herself in stories of no notorious criminals and gruesome events. Which I mean the play Devil's Advocate isn't abnormal behavior from my perspective, Like I research a lot of murders on a weekly basis.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you have like a podcast.
Speaker 1: So someone can I'm sure we have people who listen to the same podcasts that I produce with you, and they're listening on a weekly basis too.
Speaker 2: And listen to other shows as Oh yeah, Like, I mean, a few things that you mentioned in there weren't alarming, like sitting down, you know, listening to true crime or a few episodes even a day, isn't it? But like the fascination that she had with like certain serial killers and stuff. I don't know.
Speaker 1: I still don't see it as a red flag. No, No, I don't, Okay, because there's people out there who have a fascination with Ted Bundy. He's like the main one we can just pull out and talk about, right, Like people are like they know all about Ted Bundy. You know what, they even think he's hot, Okay, whatever, whatever floats your boat. That's what he was banking on when he was trying to kill people. So we know if he talked to you, you would have been dead. But I digress.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: So I don't think there's anything wrong with, you know, diving into a genre like that. I don't think there's anything wrong with someone playing modern warfare games Call of Duty and going to war and shooting people up in video games. Doesn't mean they're going to do it in real life.
Speaker 2: Well it does, I guess just how you went about describing it, it does almost seem like it was it was her entire life in a way, though, right, I.
Speaker 1: Mean it could have been. Yeah, And that's where that fine line comes in. As long as you don't, you know, go to the point of like, hey, maybe I could. Like, you know, I'm sure a lot of us true crime people joke about it at times, even like, hey, you know I know how to bury about it?
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, we're like, you're doing it wrong, exactly so bad.
Speaker 1: They're jokes, though, and I think we, being in the genre, we understand each other's like sense of humor about it because we're all there, we all get it. We're not going to make those same jokes with other people who aren't going to get it, who are in the real world, who don't dive into the genre.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So from someone's perspective within the genre, I don't see it as weird, okay, But to police, it was certainly raising some red flags for them. You know. Now, as they did unscover I'd sorry to uncover her obsession, they were investigating a lot more about her, and they also managed to uncover from analysts a little bit more about her unsettling behavior. A search of her phone revealed that she had almost no contacts or messages, which is a clear indication of her isolation right which, as I mentioned, being a bustling city, it's very easy to get that feeling that's kind of sad. Hey, it was. Now, it wasn't her lack of social interaction that alarmed investigators so much on her phone, just a little bit of an indicator, you know. It was her Internet search history. And this goes back to that obsession with true crime and even a little bit further. In fact, this is where there's that fine line, right, and she's definitely stepped over that line. In the months leading up to the crime, Jong had conducted chilling online searches, including phrases like how to murder someone, murder without a body, and the perfect murder.
Speaker 2: Oh wow.
Speaker 1: Yeah. These painted a picture of a clear premeditation to investigator, so they couldn't ignore. So while they pieced together this information, Jong was questioned about the crime. Initially, she denied any involvement in the murder, and I found several different things reported that she said happened instead, one being that she claimed she had been coerced, stating that someone had threatened to kill her if she didn't dispose of this body. She also reportedly suggested that she stumbled upon body parts and dumped them out of panic. She also apparently took the body only when she found the victim was killed by someone else. And finally that she had accidentally killed the victim in an argument. Whichever one she actually claimed occurred, we do know that she denied it at first, and she changed her story part way through. Okay, okay, so she claimed one thing and then said another thing. Is how it went? Which one?
Speaker 2: It's unclear because I mean even that first one you had mentioned, I'm like, well, I mean that's not like super far fetched, right, the one that where you said sorry that her she was like threatened to dispose of this body, right, Yeah, which I mean I could see happening.
Speaker 1: Well, she's going to need to prove that somehow. Where's the evidence of that?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Now, her family was aware of the mounting evidence against her and her swapping stories, and they begged her to tell the truth.
Speaker 2: Oh man.
Speaker 1: So three days after her arrest, Jong took the advice of her family and confessed to authorities. She admitted not only to the murder, but also to the chilling motivation, which was an uncontrollable desire to kill someone simply because she wanted to experience what it felt like purely a morbid curiosity.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's I'm pretty messed up right there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just want to know what it feels like. Oh, you're not a reason to take a life.
Speaker 2: No, you're literally like ending someone there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, get a steak and put the steak knife into that steak and see how that feels. That's there you go, you know, like, but no, not taking all life.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: Now. In South Korea, as I mentioned, there's privacy laws that prevent many things like the release of names from victims, releasing their identity. So we don't know who the victim was, and there's no way I can really tell the victim story unfortunately. I mean I can to a little bit of a degree, but for the purpose of the story, we are going to talk about the victim with it by the pseudonym Jane do Okay. So, investigators determined that Jong's plan began to kill became became to like actually come to fruition three months before the crime actually occurred, and they did they figured that out by her online research and stuff.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: So, Jong now also revealed that she targeted a stranger in hopes that it would make it harder to trace a the crime back to her, as there would be no discernible motive towards this specific individual and no actual connection to them as well. But also she didn't exactly have anyone in her life. I mean that she could really consider targeting even if she wanted to write. She was quite the loner, had no real friends or anything. So to find her victim, Jong turned to the good old Internet. She signed up for a popular tutoring app designed to connect individuals seeking academic help with qualified tutors. There, she pretended to be a parent and posed as someone searching for an English tutor for her child. Now this ruse led to her to meet Jane Doe, who, unbeknownst to them, was walking into a deadly trap. It was on May twenty fourth, twenty twenty three, when Jung and Jane were matched up on the app. For Jane it was likely an opportunity to earn some extra income during something they were skilled at, and for Jung it was the first step in executing her grim plan. After a few conversations through the app back and forth, they arranged a tutoring session to take place on May twenty sixth. Jong assured that her child quote child would be attending the session and at Jane's home, So on May twenty sixth, the day of the scheduled tutoring session. Jong, she donned a school uniform that she purchased online posing as a child that she claimed she had. Oh no, but in that uniform she concealed a knife in her pocket. Yeah, so heading to the victim's house, she's wearing this little innocent school uniform with a knife ready to go. Now. John's petite stature, standing at four foot nine inches tall, likely made her disguise very believable. And I don't believe Jane Doe would have questioned anything when opening the door and meeting with her.
Speaker 2: Oh that is just that's brutal, hey, like you always say, because there's so many times where you're in the wrong place at the wrong time, and this is just I don't even know how to describe how that like.
Speaker 1: That is just so sad. Yeah, she was just.
Speaker 2: Living her life, doing a job, trying to like help, you know, share her skill of this language and stuff and English.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, I know, it's just fun. I wasn't I know. I know, I'm just fucking giving you a hard time as what I'm doing brutal though, sorry.
Speaker 2: Continue, No, I'm good, I'm good.
Speaker 1: But yeah, that's all she's doing is she's just trying to i mean, earn maybe a little extra cash, try and share her knowledge of some of this with someone who's you know, wanting to try and develop themselves. And unfortunately, I mean, what she thinks is a little girl who needs well maybe not a little girl but a young woman or whatever, right, who needs some tutoring, is actually there to fucking murder her.
Speaker 2: Well, and she's probably done the same scenario numerous times, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, having you know people come over, I'm over and yeah. So, upon entering Jane's house, Jung began asking few casual questions and through those questions, quickly learned that Jane lived alone. And from there she wasted no time. She retrieved the knife from her pocket and launched a brutal attack, stabbing Jane over and over, murdering her in cold blood.
Speaker 2: So this is her first session, Like she just kind of poked, got the information she and then just went for it.
Speaker 1: Yep. So she basically walked in. I mean it may have been ten seconds, it may have been a minute, I don't know, but she she's like, hey, like you have a husband or anything like that. No, No, no, I live alone. Cool, you're dying now, Like that's literally how it went.
Speaker 2: Dang, and she would have thought nothing of saying that.
Speaker 1: No, No, it was just you know, getting to know you know, a teacher, right, so like, oh yeah, a student wants to know who the teacher is. And oh yeah no. Maybe she's like, are we going to be interrupting anyone anyone else? Like live here, should be quiet? Oh no, don't worry about it. I live alone.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So, now, once this horrifying act was complete and she sure that her victim was now dead, Jong moved to the next phase of her meticulous planned crime, or I shouldn't say meticulous plant crime because it was not very meticulously planned. It was just a crime. But her next step was covering her tracks. So just after midnight, she returned home to retrieve a suitcase and headed to a local supermarket. There, she purchased items that she deemed necessary for the gruesome task ahead of her, which included knives, zip ties, bleach, and plastic bags.
Speaker 2: She hadn't done this ahead of time, Hey nope.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, so again purchasing all these items in one location, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like after the fact, I don't know, this just doesn't not seem great. No, and she took three months or so to plan this.
Speaker 1: Well, she was thinking of doing it for about three months yet. Yeah, okay, So surveillance footage captured her walking between her residents and the victim's home. Her demeanor during this was disturbingly care free and actually almost like gleeful at times.
Speaker 2: Really, so she didn't really have no.
Speaker 1: She was like kind of like excited, like happy, like yeah, okay, that's real messed, isn't it. Now. Back at the house, Jong began the process of dismembering Jane's body. She placed some of the remains into the suitcase, and by three am on May twenty seventh, she called the taxi. However, her lack of preparation became apparent when she failed to know properly secure the items or the body parts, as they were leaking blood through the plastic bags that she had put them inside of. So, yeah, she didn't secure the plastic bags very well, and of course it leaked. And that's when the taxi driver, you know, took her to the park and she disposed the body parts. They called in and here we are, so she actually.
Speaker 2: Cut up the body then at this lady's helm. Yes, oh my goodness, this is so disturbing.
Speaker 1: So within Jane Doe's home that she just murdered her in, she goes out, purchases what she needs, comes back and begins dismembering her in her home.
Speaker 2: Huh okay.
Speaker 1: And now the thing is she can't do she can't dispose of the remains in one trip, so it's going to be a few trips that this occurs in. So there still remains left at Jane Doe's home, and.
Speaker 2: She just is hanging out at her house kind of and going back and forth and shit, and just thinks that none of this is going to be noticed.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Now, Jane also made additional efforts to obscure Sorry, Jong made additional efforts to obscure Jane's identity by taking their id, their phone, and their purse, which may have served more as personal trophies in my opinion than anything. Which is another mistake, right because now there's evidence leading back to you. But after scattering some body parts, she returned home with the suitcase, intending to make a second trip to dispose of more remains. Her ultimate goal, as she admitted, was committing the perfect crime. Of course, we now know that Jong Yung Jong's fantasy of committing the perfect crime was are from reality. In fact, her attempt was so riddled with mistakes that it bordered on hilarity in my opinion, because as someone who is fascinated by true crime, you think you would have learned from the content that you were consuming. But she left an unmistakable trail of evidence behind. There's the surveillance cameras captured her moments back and forth, you know, even in the taxi. A taxi driver witnessed her disposing of the body parts, her devices containing backlog of incriminating evidence. Of course, the blood dripping out of the suitcase, her DNA was found in Jane Doe's home, and Jane Doe's DNA was found in her home. Oh man, yeah, of course, Like it's ridiculous, but thank.
Speaker 2: Goodness for that though, because I feel it's almost like a serial killer in the making, Like she probably wouldn't have stopped. She probably would have done this again, I think, especially if she had found like joy and stuff from me.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mentioned this here a little bit later on, but yeah, you're you're one hundred percent right, So for someone Yeah, I'm sorry, I kind of already went through that, where am I right? She probably should have known better how to cover her tracks. But yeah, I digress. Yeah, so Jong's actions were not only horrific, but shocking for someone with that knowledge that she had. Now, while it's not confirmed, some speculate that Jong's choice of victim may not have actually been entirely random. Oh and I honestly agree.
Speaker 2: Okay, is it because she was struggling with the length like English language, and so she resented someone that was good at it?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Okay, well now I don't need to read that book, correct, Sorry?
Speaker 2: But holy I yeah, I never even put that together.
Speaker 1: No, yeah, no, that's exactly it. She the the idea of her targeting and English tutor like Jane would have stemmed from envy. As I mentioned earlier, she had issues with her English proficiency, even repeating repeatedly failing the English proficiency portion of the Civil Service Exam, which is a major roadblock, and of course that she her career goal. So in contrast, Jane had graduated reportedly from a prestigious university with a degree in English, so this like disparity could have ignited feelings of jealousy and resentment. Feeling like her decision to target someone like.
Speaker 2: That that makes it way worse.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know if she would have been able to target Jane specifically or if.
Speaker 2: It was just random who she got.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it depends on how the app works, whether she was like matched with an English tutor or if she picked the English tutor. But she was definitely looking for an English tutor. We know that, at least so.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: As the investigation unfolded, professionals began analyzing Jong's background and mental health. Surprisingly, she had no prior history of mental illness and no criminal record. Her life offered very few clues to the horrors that she would eventually commit if someone looked at her with a microscope. Despite her social isolation, having no friends or close connections, there were no outward signs of the darkness that she was capable of. She kept her thoughts and plans entirely to herself and her Internet search history. I guess in hindsight, her extreme isolation might have been considered a red flag, but without any relationship or interaction to raise concern, there was no way for anyone to be able to foresee what she was capable of. Now, in South Korea, psychologists often use a four factors psychopathy there we go. A Psychopathy Diagnosed gnostics test to assess an individual's likelihood of actually becoming a psychopath. A score of fifteen on this test is considered average, just your average Joe blow person, right, while the score of twenty five or above indicates psychopathy. Jong Ying Jong scored an overall of twenty eight on this test, placing her firmly in the psychopath range.
Speaker 2: No shit, Yeah, so.
Speaker 1: Given her calculated methods and well, I don't know they're calculated method but they're also not calculated methods in my opinion, because she definitely took calculated steps. She bought an online outfit to go pose as as child, She researched and listened to true crime, She went on the app and sought out an English tutor. There's calculated steps, but there's.
Speaker 2: Also she was in a bit over her head.
Speaker 1: I think, well, let's put it this way. She did a calculation and she came up with the wrong fucking answer.
Speaker 2: There you go.
Speaker 1: In her mind, one plus one was three. No bitch, it's two. So given her wrong calculated methods, the lack of remorse, and like all of it combined, authorities believe that she had she not been apprehended, she would certainly have gone on to kill again and possibly become a serial killer.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, you mentioned yeah that, I believe that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so do I so. Following her arrest, Jong made a public statement outside of a police station. Addressing the media, she stated, quote, I have apologize to the victim and her family. I must have been out of my mind. You don't fucking see. That's it thought, That's all I got.
Speaker 2: Okay, I mean that does not sound very remorseful. But no, I'm sure the family took that well.
Speaker 1: No, not really, I'm just kidding.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Her apology did little to sway the public opinion and everything or the legal legal system.
Speaker 2: Even so.
Speaker 1: The first trial was held on July fourteenth, twenty twenty three, in the Busin District Court. During the proceedings, prosecutors described Jong's motives as stemming from deep resentment and anger towards her family because she didn't really have that attention her parents growing up, right, right, And it was also compounded by feelings of helplessness following repeated failures of her academic and professional pursuits. So she was just kind of feeling like isolated and alone. Yeah, like I presented it.
Speaker 2: I mean, what she did is just it's terrible, like she's a terror person, but you almost feel slightly sad, and it just seemed like she just needed, you know, a friend or some love or something in her life, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, potentially. Now. Jong did plead for leniency, claiming that hallucinations and mental health struggles had driven her to kill, which, hey, maybe that is the case. However, the courts found no evidence to support her claims of mental illness. Additional evidence presented in the court painted a disturbing picture of her premeditation. Of course, there's phone records which revealed you know, the these searches and chat logs with the tutor and everything. But those phone records also revealed that she had issued death threats to her father just days before the murder. Really, yes, I don't know what the conversation was about or how she got so angry, but allegedly she had issued death threats to her own father. Her Internet search history included the course, the queries of all that other stuff, as I had mentioned, But one day before the murder, they also discovered that she invited a young woman to go for a walk near the Nakdong river and a walk that they both actually went on, but the presence of passerbys most likely prevented her from attacking this individual.
Speaker 2: Man imagine being that person.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Also, it's surprising to me that she didn't. Maybe this could have just been like a family murder case. I'm surprised that she if she had this anger and stuff with her family, that she just she didn't just do it to like her toad or whatever.
Speaker 1: Well, she was trying to quote.
Speaker 2: Perfect cris right, and that would Yes.
Speaker 1: Didn't want the connections right, that makes sense now. She also apparently attempted to lure a teenage boy who said same area at the Nakdong River, but he became suspicious during their online conversations reportedly and declined to meet her.
Speaker 2: That's creepy. Yeah, good for that person. Listened to their gut feeling there right now.
Speaker 1: On November twenty fourth, twenty twenty three, the court issued its verdict. Jong Ying Jong was now twenty four, and was found guilty of murder, desecration, and abandonment of a corpse. She was sentenced to life in prison. The prosecution had actually sought the death penalty, but the court opted for life imprisonment instead, citing her age and background were mitigating factors. Presiding Judge Kim Taob ruled that Jong's crime was deliberate, carefully planned, and executed without any influence of mental illness. Her apologies and her legal team plead for reduced sentence, but they were rejected. In addition to her life sentence, Jong was ordered to wear a locating device you know, like an ankle monitor or something for thirty years and will be eligible for parole after serving twenty years in jail.
Speaker 2: Okay, so she could very much so get out because here I'm like, okay, good, Like she's going to stand there for her life, which is probably for the best, but maybe not so much.
Speaker 1: She may get out.
Speaker 2: Yes, she could be forty four and she gets out. That's not that old, really correct. Oh that's scary. Yeah, that's real scary.
Speaker 1: And that's the story of Jong Yung Jong and her perfect murder.
Speaker 2: Okay, well a, it wasn't perfect. And b let's hope for some good rehabilitation in there, because that's scary shit for her getting out. I'm like terrified.
Speaker 1: Now I agree, and not only rehabilitation, I think she needs to have some socialization m m. Yeah, perhaps being in a facility, you know, with a lot of people around, whether it be you know, other inmates or guards or something, maybe she will actually be able to develop some social skills.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and who knows, Like I know, they do education and stuff in there, so she can like achieve her goal, you know, of what she wanted with like learning the English language and being able to do whatever.
Speaker 1: It was a civil service.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but still that's so sad to think that later. It's sad to think struggle with this because she could have, you know, we want her to like rehabilitate and like maybe chief her goals or whatever. But she took this poor innocent lady's life and that's not okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree, Ah damn. Yeah. So that was a story I wanted to tell because, like I said, it's a little bit on the relatable side for most of us, because, hey, we're all true crime isfiicionaudos. We're true crime fans. We enjoy the genre. Hey, many of us are maybe even considered being fans of certain serial killers. I mean, if that's you, you do you, I'm not going to judge you for it, but I mean we've all probably had that conversation, whether jokingly or not, of like, hey, I could help hide a body.
Speaker 2: I know how to do it, Like, you know, yeah, I know, I've definitely had that conversation. I don't know if I should be admitting to that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I mean it's just a joke within the community, so yeah, I think we all understand. Yeah, but yeah, it's a story I really wanted to share.
Speaker 2: So and that wasn't a recommendation from Patreon.
Speaker 1: No, no, okay, no, it was a crime that I had come across, and I just really wanted to do this one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, this was a good one. I think I just had this thought too. It's kind of because we don't know like the victim's name and a lot about them, it was almost like easier to feel more sad for the criminal the perpetrator. Yeah, you know, so I don't love that now. I'm just kind of like like I had to remember, like she's a bad person, blah blah blah. But yeah, anyway, I wish we knew more about the victim. I agree to share their story a bit more.
Speaker 1: I agree, but I mean, I'm I'm not going to say I don't like them not releasing the identity of the victim. I do like it like that, but I also do like the name being released, so you know what, then we can like learn their story as well. So there's two sides to the coin, and I'm not going to argue either one of them. I mean, they're both very beneficial in their own ways.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I'm just saying it was almost easier to feel bad for the perpetrator because we didn't know enough about the victim.
Speaker 1: I guess definitely either way, she was a shitty killer. And uh yeah, don't fucking do that. No, that's all I gotta say.
Speaker 2: No, that's terrible motive and just terrible everything.
Speaker 1: Just wanted to know what it was like. And I'm gonna do the perfect crime. No, you suck. Yeah, that's my message to you, johng Is. You suck.
Speaker 2: Yeah. You did a real, real bad job and a real bad thing.
Speaker 1: You're a real bad person.
Speaker 2: There you go.
Speaker 1: Anyways, thank you guys for being here. Hopefully you enjoyed this case and the story. If you want to find out more about us, if you want to listen to more, Like I said, on Patreon, we do stuff on Patreon. We had a whole library. Go check it out links in the description along with like, Instagram, Facebook, YouTube. All that stuff is in the description of this podcast. We're an indie podcast, researched everything by ourselves. We do it. We're not owned by anyone. We own us and we do what we want and we're having fun with it. And thank you guys for being here, because without you, we probably wouldn't even be a podcast anymore. You guys keep us going, Yeah, you do.
Speaker 2: Honestly, we appreciate you so much.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so thank you from the bottom of our hearts. And if you want to give us a review, that really helps the channel grow, helps other people who are potentially going to listen understand what we're about. So thank you very much. If you're gonna go, do that, And until next time, stay wicked.