Speaker 1: Ten and nine.
Speaker 2: Weather forecast, sex and rain today. Isolated showers and storms possible this morning, and they're likely later this afternoon. At some point. Showers and storms along with downpours all likely. Seventy two to high today, overnight low of fifty three. Rain will stop. We'll have a high of sixty five tomorrow with fotty skies in the morning and sunsky sunny skies later in the day. UH forty three overnight and on Sunday look forward to it's mostly sunny, very pleasant high of seventy sixty five degrees. Right now for the five k SECAUK station. Let's get an update on traffic.
Speaker 3: From the uc UP Tramphing Center. You see health, you'll find comprehensive care that's so personalid, makes your best tomorrow possible. That's boundless care for better outcome. So expect more at you sehelp dot com. Step found seventy five crews are working with an accident. It's on the right shoulder at the Reagan Highway. So with that being on the shoulder, tramping's getting better through the lock one split northbound seventy five. That's it's just a bit between Mitchell and the water Chuck Ingbradmon fifty five KRC deep talk station.
Speaker 2: It's coming to an eighty forty two fifty five KRCD talk station. It's time for early voting, and it's also time to do the the regular shout out for the need of poll workers. Sherry Polland from the Hamil County Board of Elections, welcome back to the fifty five KRC Morning Show. It's always nice having you on.
Speaker 1: Good morning, Brian, thank you for having me.
Speaker 2: Has there ever been a year, I mean we have you know, like early elections, we've got the fall elections, we have on your elections, we have off your elections. Has there ever been a year that you can remember where you didn't need poll workers?
Speaker 4: No, no, no, We always put the call out for poll workers. You know, Presidential elections are are actually the easiest election to recruit poll workers because there's such a high interest in the election. But even then, you know, we recruit over and above what we need because the turnout is so high and we know things can happen and people might might drop at the last minute. So we're always putting out the shout out for poll workers.
Speaker 2: Well, in an off cycle election that may be a better time if you've never worked the polls because the pressure's off. There aren't people lined around the corner to come in and vote, so not as much work to do. And I know it's always a really nice experience. My wife did it for years and years and years, and everyone gets along and plays nicely and you know, resolve problems and it's I think it's just a rewarding way to serve the community.
Speaker 4: Oh I, you know, one thousand percent agree. You know, it's a great way to serve your community and to find out a little bit more about how elections are administered. You know, that's been a hot topic in recent years across their country, and I think, you know, what a better way to learn how it works than to actually be a part of it. So it's a great experience. They poll workers are paid for their time. They make a minimum of two hundred and twenty five dollars, you know, so it's a nice little a nice little paycheck for serving your community.
Speaker 1: Now that's the total.
Speaker 4: Amount of pay. They do have to come for training at our Board of Elections. We offer those classes, you know, mornings, afternoons, evenings and saturdays, so don't fit anyone's schedules, so they do have to attend in person training and then they go to their assigned polling place the night before election day Monday night, and set up and then work election day. And for all of that work they're paid two hundred and twenty five dollars.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's I think it's more about the experience, I guess, you know, it would be a great idea because you know, there's a lot of folks, you know, sometimes in my listening audience, but generally in the public, they have very little faith in the the election integrity. But I think if you serve as a poll worker, it might go a long way to prove that perhaps you're wrong along those lines.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's what I was mentioning before.
Speaker 4: You know, it's a great way to find out, you know, how elections work, and.
Speaker 1: The poll workers play such a crucial role.
Speaker 4: You know, we have a staff here at the Board of Elections, you know, forty four full time employees and then we hire seasonal employees and they really get, you know, an inside look at it. But we're not the faces of the board, you know, to the general public. It's the poll workers that are, you know, the ones that are out in the community. Administering the election are actually the faces of the Board of Elections to the community, and so you know, we need good people to come out and fill those roles.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 2: Along those lines, I want to thank you and the folks at the Hamilton County Board of Elections. I've voted early there and I vote an election day. You guys do a great job. It is a well oiled machine. I mean there have been days when it was I think on the last presidential election we did early voting and you know there's that line out the door and you get you roll your eyes like, oh my god, I'm gonna be standing here all day long. No, you move right through. You process the folks very quickly. It's efficient and you know it's serviced with a smile. So I salute the work that you're doing there.
Speaker 1: Oh thank you. I appreciate that.
Speaker 4: You know, there's a lot of hard work that goes in, you know, to set up that early vote center and make sure that it's running, you know, efficiently and securely, and our team works really hard on doing that. You know, we do mock elections where we have our staff go and vote test ballots because we really want to test the system, test our processes, and like you said, voting with a smile. You know, we believe that if voters have a good experience while casting their ballot, that they're more likely to believe in the outcome and in the integrity of the election. So we work really hard at that. So thank you for recognizing.
Speaker 2: It just shows and that's why I wanted to make sure I did. Thank you for that that excellent service. Now we do have the special election primary election May sixth, and early voting is going on. Now, what's your finger on the pulse of the of the number of people voting? Is it normal? Is it low? Is it as expected because a lot of people don't vote in these in these primary and special elections.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's it's low. It's been a low turnout so far. That is to be expected. Something that's a little different about this spring election is that there is a state wide issue on the ballot issue too, So yeah, issue too. So every voter in the state of Ohio has something to vote for, something to vote on this election.
Speaker 1: So that's a little that's a little different.
Speaker 4: You know, a lot of times in odd numbered years in the spring, it's usually not even a county wide election. Right, it's usually just a few political subdivisions having an election, but this may everyone has something to vote on with state issue too, so we encourage people to to you know, to go on to our website vote Hamilton County, Ohio dot GUV. They can take a look at their sample ballot, you know, read over the ballot issue before going into vote, so so they can become an informed voter. And then there's also a few other jurisdictions that have some other contests on the ballot. I think what we've heard a lot about is the City of Cincinnati if having a primary, yeah election for mayor. City of Cincinnati holds their primaries. It's a little different. Usually when we think of a primary, we think of political parties that are nominating their candidates to appear on the November ballot. But the city does things a little differently. They it's called a non partisan primary, so the candidates do not have party affiliation next to their name. There's not a different ballot for the political parties. Every voter in the City of Cincinnati has just one ballot and it has both the mayor's contest as well as that state issue too.
Speaker 1: And what triggered the primary election.
Speaker 4: In Cincinnati is that more than two candidates filed to run, and so we had three candidates file for mayor. That's what triggers the primary election. The top two vote guters in the primary then move on and we'll face each other to be elected in the November general.
Speaker 2: Well, you boiled that down quite nicely, Sherry. Polling from the hammil County Board of Elections Vote Hamiltoncountyohio dot govz the website, check out all the information and again, Sherry on half all my listeners. Thanks for the great work you're doing, and I will encourage my listeners to sign up to be a poll worker. It could certainly use your help. Cherry, thanks very much for spending time with me and are my listeners of me today.
Speaker 4: Thanks thank you for having me get the message about out about the election as well as the need for poll workers.
Speaker 1: Always appreciated.
Speaker 2: I'm always here to help you out. I really am sharing if you a poll worker. Thanks Cherry, we'll talk again soon. It's eight forty nine fifty five k se DE Talk
Speaker 1: Station fifty five KRC