Speaker 1: I've been looking forward to this moment in time since yesterday when the microphone went off and Joe Schreker said, don't eat breakfast tomorrow morning. And so why Donna Schwabin's gonna be in the studio at schwabin Fest this weekend. And that means food. And you know I've said many times over the years, you know, I pretend that I don't eat food, and I say I'm not allowed to eat food or drink in the studio because against the rules. I'm in a point in my career where I don't care I'm eating food in the studio. Go ahead, fire me, guys. How you doing in studio? Nick, Jared and Pete from the Domas Donna s Robins Society. You can find them online. It's since e don O'Dell nau dot com. It's a weekend of gimuch dik kite to celebrate in the schwabin Fest. Guys, good to have you in the studio, Thanks for having us, Thank you my pleasure. I love going to the Schwabinfest. And you know this is not to you know, I'm not I'm not a favorite of any one German organization or another. You guys, know that we got the other German societies that come in and there's how many of them are there in the city, like forty or something crazy like that.
Speaker 2: For ye, there's four four big ones. But that's a great thing. We all work together. We scored each other and it's yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's it's it's like you guys, aren't you know? It isn't like that scene from Anchorman where you're meeting an alley and like having a gang fight. You know, but uh, you all play well together. I guess you'll have a parade. I guess. Usually there is one in.
Speaker 2: The Octoberfest we do for the first Swabfest being two days fest.
Speaker 1: We did, I do it, Okay, that's all right. But normally you see all the different societies with their banners and flags and what the Usually these things are kind of based upon what region the Germans emigrated from, you know, like the Black Forest region or whatever. Where are the where's the origin of the Donna Schwabin group.
Speaker 2: Yes, the Denswobin group. It came from the people came from the Swabia region of Germany and they and they went down the Danube River. So that's you get the dough No now and the and the in the Swaben. They went down to lower eastern Europe like Hungary, Yugoslavia area, and they cultivate that land into the bread basket of Europe. And they kept but they kept even though they're out of Germany, they kept their German heritage or speaking, their their culture and traditions. And then, uh, you know, after after the war, they immigrated to the US because German speaking people weren't so welcomed in those areas, so they came here. And it's not just in Cincinnati, it's all over the US and internationally I think they's some in Brazil and another place to where where the Denniswaan people had gone to. Okay, but it's a fun party and keep their traditions and share them with the city.
Speaker 1: And oh it's a fun party. Yeah, let me talk about that in just a minute here, because I am enjoying the Well, it's the one I look forward every year for is the Schwaben sausage, right, but you brought in a new one this year. The meters meter wors meters and this thing is it's a foot long, right at least eighteen inches half a meter half meter and it's on a bun. It's almost a full eighteen inches long, and it is so good. If you're a fan of what is a knockwurst or worst, this is like, you know, eighteen inch long block hoarst. But I love how you cooked it. It's almost like it's been It's a crinkly natural case sausage exterior, which is cheap casing. Yeah, it's awesome. My listeners are going cod well, you get to enjoy. We're just listening to your rave about it. So you can show up at Schwapenfest this weekend. First off, you have events going on today.
Speaker 2: Correct, starts today five point thirty. Here's eleven and tomorrow one one to eleven.
Speaker 1: And where's it located?
Speaker 2: Forteen ninety drive badge road out in cold rain right behind the loads the two seventy five right there at that uh that corn exit and ra easy to find. Plenty on site parking and.
Speaker 1: Only on site parking for this festival. Only on site parking, so there's no shuttle service from remote location ing like that, all.
Speaker 3: Right, which is our Octoberfest. We do have bus ser for this one, so it's a little bit smaller than Octoberfest. So we can keep everybody on site, all.
Speaker 1: Right, That just means more for our food and drink for us that show up, got it. Uh, Who's who's performing? I mean, you've got multiple entertainment acts that are going to be showing up tonight and we'll get to tomorrow in a moment here, But who's who's going to be playing?
Speaker 3: The ploma band starts at five point thirty tonight or from Saint Louis and then uh we uh they also played Saturday starting at one to kick off Saturday, and then we have our house band Alpin Echoes, which ends the night at six thirty, and that's tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Yes, Well what about what about Young Drupa yep?
Speaker 3: So the UGEN grouping is the youth group and they're that's the name.
Speaker 1: Yes, I remember enough German to know that young means suggests young, youth, youthful, that kind of thing.
Speaker 3: So those that's one of our four dance groups and one of our five dance groups. Sorry, and uh they are a is fifteen to twenty one.
Speaker 2: Well, the klinic Kinder they started at four years old, clinic kinder kind of kinder.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they started four small children and they got the middle.
Speaker 2: Group of then the Yugen GROUPA, then the shop Botler's, then the Tracting group and they go up to I think eighty four. So it's you know, as Auntie said the other day, you know, you can you can see its need to having these five different dance groups. You know where they learn and each one has their own different type of cultural dance that's brought over from from Europe. But you know where they where they learn it to where they perfect it.
Speaker 1: And it's well, I think it's a cool thing that that young people are still learning this. Yeah, you know, the world's a never changing place and you think, you know, it's like, does anybody really still do that? And yeah, the answer is yes. And these German societies, everybody learns how to dance. My wife, not German, has her uh her drindle, and she ends up always there's usually an elderly German Man who always ends up dancing with my wife and every one of these things. My wife, you know, she's an attractive lady and so you know, she loves the dance and I don't dance, so I'm usually having to keep my eye on her because there's some guy out there dancing with my wife. Ran you didn't marry out. I did. I told you that in the hallway. That's why I tell people now I no longer care if they want to fire me, because I'm eating in the studio knock themselves out. And one of the reasons I can say that is because I can retire right now. I'm married. I'm married, out of my element. Anyhow, she's she's listening right now.
Speaker 2: Well, nice things about the youth group, Like we're teaching the kids, you know, how to dance, and we're teaching about culture. But you know, part of the fest is it is a fundraiser and we send our kids over to Germany and Austria every couple of years so they can learn and see firsthand. So they go to the Dennis swamping clubs over there, they can go around and actually see, you know, where where the people came from and what the cultures are over there.
Speaker 1: Do you have a corresponding Donnas Trabert group over there that you keep you communicating with it, coordinate activities when you get there. Oh that's cool.
Speaker 2: Like the International I guess headquarters whatever they call it, is over there. So yeah, they have a museum and every of things. So the kids go over there. Oftentimes I think they stay in other people's houses. And the reason it really you really get to feel it that way instead of being in a hotel, like you're really in touch with the communities and the people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's that's a great idea. I never been to Germany. I'd like to go. I've got friends together all the time, all right, So you got the plumb man, you got you only group and the shool plotter school plotter. That's right.
Speaker 2: Shoe fallers are the one wearing a later hose and jumping around stopping their knees and uh, I can see in euro Trea Clark Goswald.
Speaker 1: And that's why we're actually were And yeah, I was, well, I was gonna ask you later about the because I went to one of the festivals, and I'm blessed the schutzu In fest folks gave me a pair of leader hosing. Nice people they are, they're cop that's next weekend. Yeah, And so I wore my leader hose into a different German event and I was told that I didn't have the appropriate attire for that particular German club. And I don't know which one it was, but there were I think mostly walking around with the three quarter length uh as opposed to the just sort of pant like shorts that I have. So there is regional clothing too, So what did my leader hosn't fit in with with with with the yeah, okay.
Speaker 2: Absolutely these are I think called boondjosen and and typically those are four you know, it's a little bit colder out because they're they're longer. But shoepoler is the same way. You know, it's not always as sup Butler's. They might look the same, but every dance and move is also very regional. So some shoe bolers really stick to one town's kind of moves, if you will, okay, ours is kind of like the Greatest Hits collection.
Speaker 1: Just don't slap the person you dance with in the face. Land up.
Speaker 2: So we do have a dance called the the shoe fall, right, So like you know, your plotler and you put your hands out and the girl pied your hands on the first hand and on the second time of ground the girl will slap you in the face. Years ago, my wife used to shoe butler and man. When I was carried up with her, she got me.
Speaker 1: You know, there's so many opportunities for blue humor in that statement, I'm just gonna let that rest, and right there as we go into a break, we'll bring it back a little about the Saturday activities and all the other fun We're gonna have a Donna Schwabin Schwabbinfest beginning tonight at five point thirty. Well for a moment and mentioned Chimneycare Fireplace and stove. You got to take care of your chimney you know, do you know what's going on up there? If a wood burning fireplace, it could be filled with koreasod and you you actually could have had a chimney fire and not even know about it. The problem is that will crack your whining and then if you have another one, it'll burn your house to the ground. At least that's as it has been explained to me in the past. Maybe you could burn your house down even with the first chimney fire. The point is you don't want one, which is why you take Chimneycare Fireplace to stove up on its Spring special, which is a woodburning sweep and evaluation, which is only one hundred and sixty nine ninety nine. They inspected with a video camera, certified chimney sweep WI sweep it. They'll make sure everything is safe. That way, you don't have to worry about a chimney fire ready to hit the ground. Runn when the temperatures drop back down and they will just got to wait for it. Or if you don't have a woodburner, the exterior evaluation with the Chimney Care Fireplace and still will do for free. You just need a schedule appointment. They'll come out to your place, make sure you don't have any water damage problems going on up there, and if you do, you may not know about that either and that could lead to a huge problem and a massive expense for you. You want to avoid that, and it's a free inspection for that one and they'll do that of course when they do the woodburning sweep and evaluation. So Chimneycareco dot Com is where you go. You can sign up for an appointment there or call them up. Chimneycareco dot Com A plus with a better business Beara, locally own and operated since nineteen eighty eight five one three two four eight ninety six hundred five one three two four eight ninety six hundred fifty five KRC the talk station for more information, there's your Channel nine weather forecast. Yeah, give you a couple of days worth. Anyway, it's gonna beloudy for the most part today, scattered showers and the storms to show up This afternoon high of eight. Overnight rain expect edd storms are expected to continue sixty seven for the well Sunday to mostly thoughty on Saturday. It's a little teeny chance of rain. They're saying hi to eighty two. Then it's seventy one right now in time for traffic from the UCL Tramping Center.
Speaker 4: Millions of Americans are living with Alzheimer's and other dementias. Find answers from leading brain health experts that you see help learn more at u sehealth dot com. Satbound seventy five continues this slott A bit coming out of the Blackland split and cruiser're cleaning up a wreck on Sharon at Forrest Avenue. Have Hannover blocked off in Hamilton between Central and eighth. That's due to an overnight train to Ralma. Shot ingram on fifty five KRC the talk station a twenty fifty KRCD talk station.
Speaker 1: Sticking with the German bumper music since my German friends from Donna Schwaben are in studio for another segment talking about schwabin FESTUS this weekend. It is a These are just fun events and open to everybody. We're not doing cultural appropriation here. I'm not German. They let me show up. So fun food and music, entertainment. You got the young people dancing, you got the old people dancing. You congestion German garbage to show up in your genes that's okay too. And beer. We talked about the sausage, but let us talk about the rest of the food and the beer that's available. Nick, Jared and Pete in studio from the schwab and Fest. Now you are famous for the schwab and sausage, which I mentioned. You guys make that yourselves, most of it. Yeah, we make it.
Speaker 2: We do make it ourselves, but out a point now where it's in such high demand. We give a recipe to our local butcher wostlers out in Green Township and they.
Speaker 1: Make who makes the other saua meter worse, which again are fantastic. But you also have other things to eat.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Friday tonight we'll have our rotisserie chicken from Octoberfest.
Speaker 1: Famous ro tissrie chicken I might add famous.
Speaker 2: It's pretty good turned on a spit. And then tomorrow we'll have our beef dinners. Then we'll have the Swaping Sausage. On both Friday and Saturdays our dinners, and then out in the fest we have a fest feel like the meter Works brought some mets. We have a collection of sandwiches like am and cheese, turkey, rubens those kind of.
Speaker 1: Things, and ruben on salted rye. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Then we have our new uh it's our second year for the Grabbing Go, which Jared here chairs up. But it's a new booth I you know, kind of targeted to be faster. So if you just want to broad or in a beer, we have it in the same booth, or a pretzel, you can go there.
Speaker 1: You just grab and go.
Speaker 2: It's all you know, pre made and well at the fest right there, right, But we're trying to help people get food fast and then also like families, if you want to go there and get a beer, some for your kid and a food all at the same time, it's all there in the same booth.
Speaker 1: Well that's nice and its convenient feature. I see. You also have the Limburger sandwich always I find memories. I mean, I'm not a Limburger fan. I'll be honest with you. I know. There is my dad and my grandfather, my mom's dad, and he had a very small, small house generally speaking of lexin Kentucky where where they live for years and years and years anyway, maybe a twelve or fourteen basement TV room, a little couch in there. My grandfather would sit down there, and there were times when he used to have a pipe or he'd have a smoke or whatever, watch a football game. But my dad would get down there and he and my grandfather would eat Limburger sandwiches, rye bread, big flat, big hunk of Limburger cheese, mustard and onions. And I'm telling you, that small room would just just fill up with the stench of Limburger cheese. You could walk in there. It's like, God, oh, we love it, we love it. I'm like, I think it was more of a It's like eating a ghost pepper to ole. I was able to eat that, you know, yeah, right, but you didn't really like it? Did you? A badge of honor? You just it's a badge of honor. Yeah, I choked down a Limberger cheese sandwich in spite of how about it smells and there's people out there right now going, oh, come on, limburg tastes great, tastes great, just stinks. But they've got it there, so you can do that. But I'm bump bump bump beers. You guys have beer there, don't you. Well look at the list A couple of beers.
Speaker 3: Yes, we literally have every available German Austrian beer in the city of Cincinnati. Wow, this is this is anything that's available in keg form.
Speaker 1: We have it. That's a bold statement considering now do you include like micro brews in that.
Speaker 3: Because no, nope, only it's only imported German beers, all right, so that they're not with chipping and everything. We're not getting as many as we used to get a couple of years ago. But now it's this is this is the list of what's available in the city of Cincinnati currently.
Speaker 1: About that and mostly.
Speaker 2: You're not going to find them at a store or even at a bar. They're they're really kind of hard to.
Speaker 1: Get, which is unless you're buying a hole a keg ye.
Speaker 2: Or or palette of kegs. Sometimes it won't sell to you unless you're buying a palette. But you know, I think it's fun for the you know, our guests, you know, they can you know, there's a lot of new beers there. They try something you like, but also try something different. We got the whole range of light, dark wheat. We you know, we even have some rodlers, a grapefruit roller, you like those kind of things.
Speaker 1: But that's an interesting beverage, it is, Yeah, and I just find it so hard to believe that that grapefruit beverage is German.
Speaker 2: Well, it's because Germans don't know how to make light beer. You know, they make full strength beer, then they'll cut it down with lemonade or grapefruit juice.
Speaker 1: That's good. Had a grapefruit land in Germany. It's not exactly a tropical climate anywhere.
Speaker 2: Weller is German for a like a bicycler and that's you know, so like if you're riding your bike and you're exercising and you know you want a beer, but maybe you know, and more refreshing, you know, after exercise, they put a little grape preuit juice in there and lemonade.
Speaker 1: There you go.
Speaker 3: The traditional one is Logger beer half Logger beer. Half tart lemonade and it's just something very fresh and you can drink after a good days of work.
Speaker 1: Maybe Corona where a line came from. Yeah, these are these are the days that the predate white claw and fruity bever fruity alcoholic beverages. Fair enough, Well, folks, you know Joe Strekker has added the information on Donna Shrub into my website at fifty five k see dot com, so you get all the details and you can also go to I mentioned it before I can mention it again the Donna Schwabin website which is sincey with why Donno d o nau and get the details and information there as well. Guys, I cannot think enough for coming to the studio bringing the wonderful food and give me a little sample what we're going to experience tonight and tomorrow. Tonight five point thirty pm until eleven pm. Tomorrow one pm to eleven pm. Enjoy the fun, the festivities, the dance, the food, the drink, the gimu to the kite which is guaranteed give me like, do you know what give me the kite is? It's fun. It's fun. Yeah, it's a good.
Speaker 2: It's that good, warm, cozy feeling and we try to make that for everyone.
Speaker 1: And it's it's like a general word for fellowship, but good fellowship, you know, the experiencing the joy and the happiness, the festivities, everything that goes along with it, just the general air of happiness. Yes, if I can sum it up, that's perfect. Wonderful guys, Nick, Jared Pete, thank you again for bringing the stuff in. And I may grab myself another schwab and sausage as I escort you out. It's eight twenty six right now. If you have k City Talk Station, we'll have more to talk about it. I love to take a phone call too, or so jok and open up the phones and we'll try to have a little more fun as we get close to the close of the morning show on this wonderful Friday. This is fifty five KRC, an iHeartRadio station.