Speaker 1: Welcome pill and knowledge seekers to the deep dive. We've all heard the buzz about five G. You know, faster speed, super low latency, this whole connected future thing. But what does that really mean when you look under the hood. What's actually powering this leap, the one that's meant to change well everything. Today we're taking a fascinating deep dive into the very heart of it, the five G mobile core network, and we're really lucky today we've got some incredibly insightful material to guide us. It's five G Mobile Core Network design, deployment, automation and testing strategies by Rogenie Studecar Shetty. Now this author, mister Shetty, he's an industry expert over two decades of experience, co author to four G book, holds five G core patents.
Speaker 2: Yeah, definitely someone who knows the stuff inside and out. We're tapping into real authority here.
Speaker 1: Exactly so we can understand these shifts from someone who you know, helped build them. Our mission today, let's pull back the curtain on that core architecture, shed light on the key functions, and really reveal the shifts that make five G a genuine game changer. By the end, you'll have a clear shortcut to understanding its power, not just as a phone user, but appreciating the engineering behind it. All.
Speaker 2: Okay, sounds great, let's dig in.
Speaker 1: You know, looking back, each mobile G brought something really new, didn't it.
Speaker 2: Oh? Absolutely?
Speaker 1: One G was that analog voice, amazing for its time. Then two G the nineties, that was digital SMS, messages ziconic texts. Yeah. Then three G mobile internet video calls, email on the.
Speaker 2: Move at big step.
Speaker 1: And four G well that's the word we basically live in now, high speed streaming, gaming, right, hailing apps.
Speaker 2: Yeah, four G really enabled the modern smartphone experience.
Speaker 1: So calling five G just another G, just faster, That feels like saying a rocket is just a faster car. It's more fundamental, it is.
Speaker 2: What's truly fascinating is how five G isn't just an evolution. It's designed as a fundamental technology enabler. It's engineered really to bring things to life that felt like science fiction, you know, just a few years back. Right, we're talking about more than just speed boosts. We're seeing totally new capabilities emerge, groundwork for a future we couldn't quite grasp before.
Speaker 1: So what are these core capabilities driving it. The source highlights three.
Speaker 2: Exactly three key ones, each targeting very distinct needs. First, there's eMBB Enhanced Mobile Broadband.
Speaker 1: AH, the speed one.
Speaker 2: That's the one everyone talks about. Up to ten gigabits per second potentially and latency under one millisecond. Think ultra HD screens, immersive three D video working entirely in the cloud.
Speaker 1: Okay, seamless high bandwidth stuff precisely.
Speaker 2: Then there's URLLC ultra reliable low latency communication.
Speaker 1: That sounds critical.
Speaker 2: It absolutely is for mission critical applications where any delay, any drop could be catastrophic. Imagine autonomous cars needing split second decisions talking to each other. That's V two V or the road infrastructure V two X.
Speaker 1: Or remote surgery exactly.
Speaker 2: A surgeon operating remotely needs flawless real time feedback. URLLC aims to guarantee that animal delay and maximum uptime.
Speaker 1: Wow. Okay.
Speaker 2: And the third, and finally, MMTC Massive machine type communication, so Internet of Things. That's the focus, connecting a staggering number of IoT devices billions potentially, sensors, actuators, smart gadgets, think smart surveillance drones over huge areas, or tracking systems for logistics across a whole city.
Speaker 1: So it's designed for efficiency even for tiny bits of data from loads of devices.
Speaker 2: Yes, exactly, efficiency for low power devices sending small bursts.
Speaker 1: So yeah, definitely, not just faster phones. That market projection you mentioned, it really puts.
Speaker 2: The scale into perspective, doesn't it. From around five point five billion dollars in twenty twenty.
Speaker 1: To it projected what was it, six hundred and sixty seven billion dollars by twenty twenty.
Speaker 2: Six, six hundred and sixty seven point nine zero billion dollars. It's an exponential leap.
Speaker 1: That's massive. I like your analogy. Four G was like building faster highways for everyone, but five G is like building a whole new smart city. The traffic flowsn't just faster, it's dynamically changed, purpose built.
Speaker 2: Right dedicated lanes for critical data, maybe slower efficient routes for IoT, super fast lanes for your browsing.
Speaker 1: It's reimagining the whole city plan for data, not just an upgrade.
Speaker 2: That's a great way to put it, because what truly defines this leap beyond those capabilities is how the network is built fundamentally, Unlike four G which used let's say more traditional tightly coupled telecom protocols.
Speaker 1: Right, things like GTP and diameter exactly.
Speaker 2: Five G takes this huge leap, drawing inspiration from modern cloud computing web services.
Speaker 1: Ah okay, and that changes things operational frownly.
Speaker 2: The five G core embraces a service based architecture SBA service based architecture.
Speaker 1: So instead of these rigid monolithic blocks with fixed.
Speaker 2: Connections like big single purpose machines.
Speaker 1: Sort of yeah, Now, network functionality comes from discrete independent network functions and fs. These nfs act like individual micro services. Really, they provide capabilities to other authorized nis through open APIs.
Speaker 2: API's application programming interfaces like how websites talk to each other, very similar concept. It fundamentally changes the design distributed applications much more agile, modular, resilient.
Speaker 1: And the core principle making this work.
Speaker 2: It's the widespread use of REST representational state transfer, that architectural style, along with HTTP two methods for.
Speaker 1: Communication REST and HTTP two. Okay.
Speaker 2: This shift from hardware centric to this flexible software defined service based model, that's what delivers the flexibility, the stalability, the modularity five G promises.
Speaker 1: So it allows for faster innovation too. Because functions are independent.
Speaker 2: Precisely, you can develop, deploy, update them independently without breaking the whole network.
Speaker 1: So back to that factory analogy. Four G was a few big specialized machines. Updating one was a huge deal, right, slow.
Speaker 2: Complex could shut down half the factory potentially, But.
Speaker 1: Five GSBA is more like lots of small, interconnected robots, interchangeable, each doing specific tasks, talking openly.
Speaker 2: That's a good picture, and it's not just faster development. Think resilience.
Speaker 1: Ah right, If one robot function fails.
Speaker 2: Its services can be dynamically rerouted to another instance much better uptime, especially for critical stuff compared to the more brittle four G systems.
Speaker 1: That stability is a huge deal, and.
Speaker 2: That resilience comes directly from key rest principles. They seem simple, but they're powerful. Like client server totally separates concerns. Clients request servers provide.
Speaker 1: So one NF asks for a service, another provides it.
Speaker 2: Yep, and they can evolve independently update the server NF without needing to update every client ENF that uses.
Speaker 1: It makes sense and statelessness statelessness hmmm crucial.
Speaker 2: Each request has all the info needed the server doesn't need to remember past interactions or session state, like a.
Speaker 1: Web server, not needing to track every user's session details constantly exactly.
Speaker 2: That massively improved scalability makes it easier to distribute the load more.
Speaker 1: Robust Okay, and cacheability.
Speaker 2: Responses can be marked as cacheable. Clients can store and reuse that data.
Speaker 1: Reducing requests. Boosting efficiency like cacheing common subscription data Closer.
Speaker 2: Perfect example, speeds things up, reduces load on the core.
Speaker 1: NF said the layered system.
Speaker 2: Layered system clients don't need to know what happens beyond the server they talk to. So say the SMF needs user data, it asks the UDM. The UDM might then talk to the UDR to get.
Speaker 1: It, but the SMF doesn't care how the UDM does its job internally exactly.
Speaker 2: It simplifies the architecture improved security too. Nfs only need to know their immediate neighbors got it.
Speaker 1: And the uniform interface.
Speaker 2: Uniform interface standardized methods get for retrieving, put for replacing, put for creating patch for partial updates delete. The standard web verbs pretty much makes communication predictable, easy to implement. New functions can plug in seamlessly.
Speaker 1: So this isn't just theory. It means a network that's agile, robust, evolves quickly, handles diverse needs, recovers better.
Speaker 2: It's the engine for those dynamic five G services for you, the end user.
Speaker 1: Okay, so with this SBA blueprint, let's meet some of these key players. The network functions these robots.
Speaker 2: Sounds good, And in five G there's a really clear separation of concerns, much more so than in four G. First, the Access and Mobility Function AMF.
Speaker 1: The gatekeeper and passport control.
Speaker 2: Good analogy. It's comparable to the MME and four G, but more focused access and mobility management, registering users, managing connections, knowing where devices are, and handling identity.
Speaker 1: You mentioned SUPI right.
Speaker 2: It handles your subscription permanent identifier SUPI. That's your unique permanent ID. But crucially for security over the air, the AMF assigns a temporary ID, the five G globally unique Temporary Identifier five.
Speaker 1: GGUTI, and that changes frequently.
Speaker 2: Yep to keep your permanent SUPI private. A big security improvement.
Speaker 1: Okay. AMF panels access, mobility, temporary ID. What about data sessions?
Speaker 2: That's the session management function SMF Somewhat like the PGW and four G, but again specialized. SMF is all about PDU.
Speaker 1: Session PDU sessions like private data.
Speaker 2: Tunnels, exactly your dedicated tunnel through the five G network. When your phone connects to the Internet or an app. The SMF sets up this tunnel, assigns your IP address, manages how data flows, interacts with policy.
Speaker 1: And charging, so it orchestrates the connection based on your needs and plan.
Speaker 2: Precisely, it tailors that connection.
Speaker 1: Okay, AMF for access SMF for session orchestration. Who handles the actual data movement?
Speaker 2: That would be the user plane function UPF. This one's critical along with the GNB the five GU radio base station. The UPF is the only data plane node in the five G core architecture.
Speaker 1: Only data plane node. Everything else is control plane AMF SMF correct.
Speaker 2: They manage the network. The UPF moves the data. It's the workhorse. It acts as the anchor point for mobility routes. Your packets, can do deep packet.
Speaker 1: Inspection for application detection yes, and.
Speaker 2: Enforces quality of service making sure your video gets the bandwidth. It also reports usage for billing.
Speaker 1: So quick recap AMF. Where are you securely SMF? What session you need, how it's managed upf handles the actual dataflow.
Speaker 2: You got it? That clear separation emphasizes the modularity.
Speaker 1: And this modularity, this division of labor, that's what unlocks those really customized experiences.
Speaker 2: Right absolutely, which brings us straight to two really groundbreaking concepts, network slicing and MAC.
Speaker 1: Right multi access edge computing.
Speaker 2: Indeed, these aren't just buzzwords, they are fundamental game changers.
Speaker 1: Let's start with slicing.
Speaker 2: Network slicing. Okay, this is genuinely new in five g imagine taking the single physical network infrastructure.
Speaker 1: Towers, fiber, data centers, everything.
Speaker 2: And partitioning it into multiple virtual, independent networks slices. Each slice is then designed, configured, optimized for a specific application, service, or customer.
Speaker 1: A huge departure from the old one size fits.
Speaker 2: All network totally And why is it so powerful? Well, you can have one slice just for or massive IoT optimize for efficiency millions of sensors simultaneously. Another slice provides that ultra that's a great way to visualize it.
Speaker 1: But running multiple specialized kitchens that sounds complex Operationally, How do operators manage these slices effectively? Be sure they don't interfere maintain those slas.
Speaker 2: That is a critical point. The orchestration layer is key automating the creation, deployment, life cycle management of slices. That's where a lot of the challenge in innovation lies.
Speaker 1: So it's not just set up its dynamic.
Speaker 2: Management, dynamic real time resource allocation monitoring. Preventing one slice from impacting another critical one needs sophisticated tools, maybe AI to predict demand and adjust.
Speaker 1: Okay, that makes sense now MAC Multi access Edge computing MEC.
Speaker 2: This is about bringing computation and hosting closer.
Speaker 1: To the action, closer to the user or device exactly.
Speaker 2: Instead of sending all data to some distant centralized cloud data center, MEC lets, applications and even parts of the user plane like the UPF we discussed, be hosted at the edge of the network.
Speaker 1: So benefits our mainly lower latency.
Speaker 2: That's a huge one. Reduced latency is vital for real time things like autonomous riding or milliseconds count, but also better responsiveness for local services think AR in a stadium or real time sensor processing in.
Speaker 1: A factory, and deploying upfs at the edge helps steer traffic locally avoid sending it all the way back to the main.
Speaker 2: Core precisely, dynamic traffic steering to local application servers, saves time, saves bandwidth, it's much more efficient.
Speaker 1: So yeah, it's not just a generic pipe anymore. It's this dynamic, on demand, customized platform tailored for almost any application, enabling new business models.
Speaker 2: A network that adapts to your needs, not the other way around.
Speaker 1: That is a big vision. And obviously building this new five G core is an instant. It's a journey, right, a migration. The source mentions different ways operators are handling this transition from four G.
Speaker 2: That's right. It's a massive undertaking the ancient. It came up with two main approaches, five G non standalone NSA and five G standalone.
Speaker 1: Say and an essay is usually the first step.
Speaker 2: Often, yes, it's pragmatic. It lets operators leverage their existing four G LTE infrastructure, both the radio network the RAN and the core network the EPC. In NSA, the four G core, the EPC still acts as the anchor for control, functions, mobility of sessions.
Speaker 1: But the new five G radio handles the data mostly.
Speaker 2: Yes, new radio NR gets integrated for the data plane. It's basically upgrading the radio without immediately ripping out the entire core.
Speaker 1: So like putting that faster engine in the old car frame, you g have speed, but still rely on the older chassis for something.
Speaker 2: That's a good way to think about it. It gets five G services out.
Speaker 1: Faster, But what are the downsides then, of relying on that older four G core even temporarily? Does it limit the real five G potential? It does?
Speaker 2: That's the tradeoff. NSA accelerates deployment, lets you reuse assets, boosts broadband capacity quickly, but it can't fully deliver on all advanced features. True end to end network slicing limited because the four G core doesn't natively support it like the five G core does.
Speaker 1: An ultralow latency also.
Speaker 2: Constrained by the older corese capabilities, so NSA is a powerful stepping stone, but not the final destination for the full vision. A popular deployment option mention is option three X oution three x YEAH, where the four GenB based station acts as the master node and the five GGNB is the secondary. They team up. They can even split your data traffic between four G and five G paths using a link called the XN interface, maximizes speed during transition.
Speaker 1: Interesting. Okay, So NSA is the stepping stone. What's ssay?
Speaker 2: Five GSA is the full vision stand alone, a completely independent five G core network detached from four G infrastructure.
Speaker 1: This is where all the advanced stuff happens. Slicing URLLC massive.
Speaker 2: IoT fully realize. Yes, this is the ultimate goal. Enables the whole spectrum of new applications, but it requires that complete overhaul, significant investments.
Speaker 1: So the typical path is four G then NSA like option three x, and finally to ESSAY option two.
Speaker 2: That's the common migration path described FORG option one to NSA, Option three X, then to ESSAY option two. NSA is vital for that initial rapid rollout, especially for boosting mobile broadband. But ESSAY is the complete transformative evolution.
Speaker 1: Wow, okay, that was quite a journey through the core. It's really clear five G is so much more than just speed. It's this fundamental rethink of network.
Speaker 2: Building, absolutely far beyond what many people might initially think.
Speaker 1: We acknowledged the hype, but we went way beyond, just faster. We saw this re architected network, the service based.
Speaker 2: Architecture modular flexible using open APIs like rest mirroring cloud principles, more resilient, more agile.
Speaker 1: We met the key players AMF, SMF, UPF, each with clear roles from secure tracking to actually moving the data packets, and we explored those huge capabilities like network slicing, dedicated virtual networks, and MAC bringing computing close for low.
Speaker 2: Latency, fundamentally changing how data is processed and delivered.
Speaker 1: And we understood that strategic journey operators are on from NSA leveraging four G to the full power.
Speaker 2: Of essay, balancing those immediate benefits with the long term potential. It's a big strategic play.
Speaker 1: So the takeaway really is five G isn't just an upgrade, it's a foundational redesign.
Speaker 2: A shift from one size fits all to this highly customizable on demand platform delivering tailored services. That adaptability is unprecedented.
Speaker 1: So thinking about these shifts, it's not just how we connect, but what's possible for industries, for daily life, maybe in ways we haven't even.
Speaker 2: Imagined yet definitely opens up new possibilities.
Speaker 1: So here's something them all over what complex problems things may be previously unsolvable. Do you think we'll finally find solutions with this dynamic on demand five G network? Thanks for diving deep with us today my pleasure. We really hope this exploration gave you a fresh perspective, a shortcut to being genuinely informed about the amazing engineering behind five G. Until next time,