Speaker 1: Thousands of people have mysteriously vanished in America's wilderness. Join us as we dive into the deep end of the unexplainable world and try to piece together what happened. And you are listening to Locations Unknown. What's up, everybody, and welcome back to another episode of Locations Unknown. I'm your co host, and with me, as always is a guy who never gets information about bears wrong. Mike vander Bogart.
Speaker 2: Thank you, and he's our co host, Joe Rotto. He had a little what did I say? You just forgot your name?
Speaker 1: What did I say?
Speaker 2: She said, I'm the co host, and you know I was reading at the same time that I was talking.
Speaker 1: I screwed it up. But no.
Speaker 2: Thank you once again to all of our loyal listeners for tuning in. Just a couple of quick announcements here we I'd like to get to our Patreon supporters.
Speaker 1: Well, and we have to introduce our special guest. Andy's coming. Oh yeah, studio Andy is back. Yeah. I should have We should have probably went over all this beforehand.
Speaker 2: But in the earlier days we probably would have just stopped and re recorded that.
Speaker 1: But not anymore. We'll just keep going roll to punches.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is our third episode on Gwen Hasselquist. So Andy is back in the studio.
Speaker 1: Thanks for having Yeah, absolutely, so just whiskey comes out when you come back, so it's a fun time. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Just a quick shout out to our new Patreon supporters Samantha Porter, Christopher Styles, Angel Sorio, Indy Lindsey. And this was pretty funny as we were typing these into our show notes, Heather Johnson just supported the page.
Speaker 1: So thank you Heather for you're like a part of the show. Like we were prepping for the show, Mike's phone lit up and goes, oh, we just got a patron supporter. I'm like ad her to the list quick.
Speaker 2: Thank you, And, like we say every episode, if you want to call our phone number and leave a really funny voicemail or a mean voicemail or a review for us, just call two eight three nine one six nine three.
Speaker 1: Yep. Sure, write it on toilet walls and bathrooms everywhere everywhere. Call it. So this one's gonna be a little bit different because what we're gonna be doing is playing an interview that Mike and I already did about a week and a half ago. We interviewed Gwen Hasselquest's best friend. So we're gonna be playing you that interview. We needed some time to cut out some of the things after we recorded it that you felt was either irrelevant or she didn't want aired. So we're gonna play that interview, and what we'll do is either come in and comment or just listen through certain parts. So we'll jump right into that, right and Mike and I did the interview for Andy. This is the first time he's hearing this, so he's pretty excited to find out what was going on. All Right, here we go to start. Could you just give us your name and your connection to Gwen.
Speaker 3: Okay, so my name is John and Gwen and I met in high school and we were friends for thirty years. So we met when we were fifteen.
Speaker 1: Okay, And was that high school in the gig Harbor area.
Speaker 3: No, Actually, we both went to high school in Ohio in a rail small town in Ohio called Conyat and we were both brand new students our sophomore year and happened to sit next to each other and just became fast friends really quickly.
Speaker 1: Throughout the years.
Speaker 2: How often would you say you would meet up like in person or at least talk to her if you phone or emailed.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: We after high school kind of went in separate directions. She moved out to Texas and was originally planning on going to nursing school out there. I stayed in Ohio and went to college there. So we sort of, you know, through the years, kind of lost track of each other and found each other again. And but we would talk to each other, you know, on holidays and if I would go. I had moved to California once I graduated from college. I moved to California, and when I would come back to visit my family, I would always go up to Cleveland because her family lived in Cleveland and that's kind of where she was based after she moved back from Texas, and so I would go and visit her in Cleveland when I when I came home to visit my family, she came to Virginia because then I moved to Virginia. She came to Virginia to see me a couple of times. But once like social media sort of took off and we were able to keep in touch, like through Facebook and you know, we text each other. It got a lot easier and I would say at least probably, you know, communicate in some way at least once a month. The last time I saw her was in twenty sixteen.
Speaker 1: Okay, So how much did you know about Eric? And when she got married to him? Were you close en? Did you go to the wedding? How did that all work?
Speaker 3: I did not go to the wedding. She lived with her parents for a little bit. Then she moved out from living with her parents and she moved into an apartment. I think she lived on the top floor and he lived on the bottom. Like they was like a two level apartment and she lived on top. And that's how they met each other. They were neighbors. I remember when she met him and she said, I met this guy and I really really like him then kind of I don't know how long it was after that that. Then they ended up getting married, but I don't think anybody was at their wedding. I think they went to Vegas and got married, just the two.
Speaker 2: Of them, gotcha. Okay, what year were they married in? I don't remember if we knew that or not.
Speaker 3: I do not know, actually, like fourteen or fifteen years ago, okay, because their oldest son is twelve or thirteen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I believe based on messages in that group, the find Gwen group that their kids are actually in Wisconsin somewhere with family.
Speaker 3: They are. Yeah, they're in Wisconsin with his family.
Speaker 1: Okay, Yeah, So what we did hear from some people, and I'm going to paraphrase just because I don't want to again give away information as asked not to that, I'll just say there were some issues in the relationship throughout the marriage that seemed to continue to get worse as that was happening. Is this something that gwenever reached out to to talk about or things that you knew that were going on that were something that would rob you the wrong way or make you think something was going on with their relationship.
Speaker 3: No, to be perfectly honest, I did not know anything about anything that was happening, you know, in a negative way between them. She never ever let on one time to me. Like I said, we met in twenty sixteen. We have a mutual friend that lives in Seattle, and so I went out to visit and she came from the Tacoma area up to Seattle to visit, and I hadn't I'd met Eric A couple of times, like maybe twice before that in Cleveland, and he seems perfectly fun and really nice and you know, friendly. And when I went out there in twenty sixteen and we met there, he was like a totally different person. He had joined the military and was I think playing in the military band, like in the army band. He looked totally different, like he's a thin, small kind of framed guy anyway, but he was like obsessively running, and so he said literally all he could talk about was running, about his fitness, about how he his nutrition and how fast he could run and how many miles he could run. And he actually even left the group we were all staying together, and he left her there with her kids and went running because he's like, I have to get my seventeen miles in today. And it was just like a really weird That was the first time of like what is with him? Like, he's really weird. And my other friend that we were visiting, as you to stay left, we both were like, what was that?
Speaker 1: Okay, so it was odd enough that like you both noticed it. There's something odd. It wasn't just oh I work out in the mornings, I'm going to go for a run. No, was it like trying to impress you or was it just like he was so deep into it like he needed to do it.
Speaker 3: Yes, like he was obsessed with it, Like he was completely obsessed with it. And she seemed a little bit off too, like sort of sad and sort of like she had had some medical issues. I know, you guys talked about the she had an autoimmune problem with that like affected her lungs, and so she was like, I mean, I think, you know, she was we were happy to all be together, but I think she was like feeling a little bit. She wasn't feeling great, and he was being super weird. But it was like enough that when they left, my friend and I were like, what just happened here? Like he's totally different.
Speaker 1: When was that, roughly compared to when she initially was missing? Was that a couple of years before then.
Speaker 3: Twenty sixteen I went to visit and then after that, like we still kept in touch after that, you know, and she had had like some kind of long problem that she had to have some kind of medical procedure maybe a year after that, and I remember her parents came out to take care of the kids because he was traveling or something, and she needs help taking care of the kids.
Speaker 2: Let's go a year out before she went missing and ultimately was found passed away. Were there Did you have any communications with her in that period that like final year that started to make you worry.
Speaker 3: Or so that's why I was going to say fast forward, like another I don't know, another year, maybe November of twenty nineteen. Out of blue in November, like I get a phone call from her and she's like, hey, I need to talk to you. Okay, what's going on? And she says, well, Eric's drinking again and so and he's suicidal. She's like, Donnie has a gun and he's running around outside and every time I try to call the police, he says he's going to kill himself. And I was like, wait, whoa, whoa hold on? What does that mean? Drinking again? Like what you know?
Speaker 1: So this is the this is the first time that you're like aware that he had any issues at all.
Speaker 3: I had no idea. He has never one time mentioned it. I had no idea. So this was like a wait what? So she had been trying like to get him help, and every time she reachs out to you know, try to call somebody to help her. They would say nine one one, and anytime he said, you know that he thought that they were going to come to the house, he would take his son and go outside and tell her that you're doing this to me, I'm going to kill myself. And so there were weapons in their house, like loaded weapons in their house all the time. And by this time they had moved. So I don't know where they lived before, but I specifically remember that they moved to a place. She sent me pictures of it. This when when she purchased this hat, when they purchased this house, and it was like it's out in the middle of like in the middle of the woods and in order, it's completely surrounded by trees. You can't really see their neighbors. And I was like, wow, it's like very secluded. And she's like yeah, you know, I mean it is a little kind of far away from people. But you know, Eric kind of likes it that way. And it's like, Okay, that seems creepy, but okay, wouldn't be for me, but that's you know, And she was excited. She was like going to grow a garden, and she was like super excited about that. So she was like half or at least portraying it as you know, happy. But so when I got this phone call it in November, I was like, what in the.
Speaker 1: World did she explain, like what it might have been from, or she just kind of blindsided with you with this whole thing that you didn't know anything about.
Speaker 3: No, she just said, well, she said, he's been an alcoholic for years. This has been going on for a really long time. You know. She's like, I just never told anybody, and I've been, you know, trying really hard to hide it or keep it, you know, just in our family. So she's like, nobody really knows what's happening. She said, he won't he won't let me talk to my family. He won't let me talk to his family. I can't reach out and talk to people about it. I just got really scared for her, and I was like, you know, what do you need? What what do you need me to do? She just said, I just need somebody to talk to.
Speaker 1: Okay. So she's like at her wits end. Yeah, Okay, I've tried everything. I can't do this alone anymore.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: This definitely lines up with several other people we've talked to about him, and I believe he was even discharged from the Milllitary over skinking issues.
Speaker 3: Domestic violence kind of issues, Like I think there were a couple of times that he was physically abusive to her, but also like emotionally all the time. Yeah, and something about running. She said he stopped drinking for a while, but then he started like obsessively exercising. So when we saw him in that one time and he was like I Polly could talk about, is that was like his replacement behavior? She must there was some And she told me that he left the military because he didn't like it. And I was like, all right, I don't know anything about the military. Okay, I guess to do that.
Speaker 1: I don't think they let you do that, but yeah, I agree with you. It sounds like he replaced one addiction with another, So maybe he has that addictive personality. And we tried getting police records from November December time frame prior to her disappearance about specifically domestic abuse issues at the home, and we were at least still unable to get that through Floyer requests. So that's definitely corroborated from other people.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I did not know anything that was happening until that moment. But I'm telling you that I hung up the phone. When I got off the phone, I said to my husband, this is going to be bad. I really am super scared for her. I just in my mind, I picture. I just had this vision of it being like a murder suicide. He's just going to kill her and he's going to kill his family. And I go, we're going to see this on the news. This is going to be terrible. And my husband's like, I mean, you're kind of overreacting though you think it's like, I don't know. I just feel really very uncomfortable with this. This makes me very nervous. And I because she would not ever reach out to me to share that stuff with me unless she just felt like she couldn't handle it anymore. I know it had to have been really bad. So I like made it my mission to just I was going to connect with her like almost as many times, like every day, I want to hear from you, because if I don't hear from me, I'm going to assume that something bad has happened and that you know, and then I'm going to start calling people and it's going to get weird for you because people are going to start showing up at your house. You know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well that's I mean, that's being a good friend. I think most people would maybe go, Okay, it's not a big deal, it's none of my business. But so when so you started contacting her regularly, what were those calls like leading up to the incident.
Speaker 3: The funny part about that was every time she would call me was like in the car picking up her kids, okay, and then she'd be like, I got to go so she was getting home or he was like in the room, so she didn't talk in front of him or anywhere near him, or as soon as the kids got in the car, she got off the phone with me. But I texted her like all through the holidays, and she kind of made it sound like things were getting better. She was like, you know, it's been better. It's okay. Because I was thinking to myself like, oh gosh, Thanksgiving weekend, they're going to be home the whole weekend. That could be really bad, you know, And she was like, no, it seems better, and I was like okay. So time kind of went on and she first said things were getting better, so I'm kind of like, okay, is.
Speaker 1: She at that state where she would have been honest with you if they weren't.
Speaker 3: I don't know if she felt like it was getting better, because I didn't sort of like hear that ner that Like I didn't hear that like panic in her voice, okay anymore, you know, so she sort of made it sound like things were going better.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And if you want to speculate, you can just say, hey, I'm speculating here, but this is what I think based on because it's I'm sure you could tell if you knew her that long, you could probably tell, like a crack in the voice or the way she's talking if she's not being truthful.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I just I mean, yeah, I felt like she was doing better because I kind of could feel myself like relaxing a little bit. Okay, maybe I just overreacted. Maybe this isn't you know, like maybe it was okay, but I still felt like I needed to talk to her. So for birthdays, the first week in March, I always text her on her birthday or call her every single year for thirty years. I sent her a message and I said, I hope you have a really you know, happy people year, you know, just sending me some birthday love, and she said, I've had a great day and I think this is going to be my best year yet. Okay, And I like when I think about that now, like I just like she really felt okay about how things were going, and she was like feeling really positive. You know, she had just kind of reconnected. I know, you guys talked about rekindling a family connection, and she had just reconnected with her stepsister, Dora. They had been kind of estranged for a long time, and she was super excited about seeing Dora and they had visited and were making plans to do things, and she was very excited, like she was, you know, she seemed really really happy.
Speaker 1: This is the March twenty twenty. Yeah, okay, this is.
Speaker 3: Like the March fifth is her birthday. So that was like I talked to her and then March I hadn't heard from her in a little bit, and it was March nineteenth. Actually I texted her at night because I was like, gosh, I haven't heard from her in a little while. And I just then and COVID stuff was happening all of a sudden. Yeah, and I'm a teacher, so pool got shut down and we were just all sitting here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was like fresh into lockdown because my birthday is March. My birthday is March nineteenth, and I remember I had planned, I had plans, and then we're like everything got shut down. Everyone was very nervous. Yeah, I didn't know what was happening.
Speaker 3: So I sent her a message just so I was thinking about her, and there was like a lot of craziness happening, and so I sent her a message and I said, hey, everything okay, I haven't heard from you in a little while. And then I didn't hear back from her. I never heard so then like this, you know, the sequent went by and I'm kind of like, well, maybe I'll give her like a day or two more, you know what's going on. And I didn't hear a single thing until I got a phone call from Eric on March twenty fourth.
Speaker 1: Okay, how did that go.
Speaker 3: It's the middle of the day, right, my phone ring, and it's when she's calling from her phone and I get a text message that says, hey, Dawn, this is Eric. I just wanted you to know that the kids and I are okay, and we don't anything, but Gwen's gone and we're missing her so much, And I was like, what.
Speaker 1: Do you mean you didn't see any of the social media posts or anything prior to that?
Speaker 3: No, okay, no.
Speaker 2: With him break the news to one of her oldest best friends.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm not friends with him. I had no idea what was happening. I had no and not see one single thing. I had no idea what was going on, And like, what what does that mean? And then he and then he puts his cell phone number, you can call me if you want.
Speaker 2: What.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's that's really strange. It's like he's almost trying to get attention from you because like he knew you were close with her.
Speaker 3: I think he was looking through her phone and realized like, oh, oh gosh, she's been talking to Don all this time. John knows all of this stuff that has gone on. I'm really honestly in my I am speculating, but in my honest opinion, I think he realized, like, oh boy, I better get in touch with her because she is gonna she's going to want to know what's going on. Yeah, and she knows a whole bunch of stuff.
Speaker 1: Do you think it was like an intimidation tactic? Almost?
Speaker 3: No. I wouldn't say that. I think I don't think I would really say that. I think he was trying to cover his bases, like he's trying to reach out to all the people that he knew that new stuff. You know, I got to hurry up and make sure that everybody knows I'm this good guy, this caring, loving husband, and I'm so sad and you know that. So it took me a long time to style the number. I called my other friends who lives in Seattle first, and I was like, what do I do? And she's like, before, you're gonna have to call. I don't want to call him. I don't even know what this means. And so I finally get up the courage to call, and he was like, immediately as soon as I as soon as he could hear my voice started just fake crying. And I know for sure that he was not really crying. It was like the fakest sounding I've ever heard. And he was like, she did it. She just jumped off the bridge. She just did it. And I was like, what are you talking about? And he's like, she was mad at me because of COVID, because she had COVID and she just did it. And I was like, I don't even know what to say. I cannot even believe this is true. This is not There's no way. He asked me to FaceTime his kids, who I'd only met one time before, so I was like, I mean, okay, that seems like a weird request. But I was just like, okay, sure, whatever, I go. Are you hung by yourself? And he said yeah, I'm here by myself. And in the middle of this crying, I said why, you need to get in touch with your family and have your family and he immediately stops, his voice totally changes and he said, oh, I don't know if I can say this, but he said, my family are a whole I'm not talking to them, and then he went back to just completely crying again, like Fay crying. And I was like, Eric, I'm so sorry.
Speaker 2: Sounds like I'm not a psychiatrist, but based on all of the comments we've heard from other people and the things he was posting on social media, kind of sounds like a sociopath.
Speaker 1: That's exactly what I was gonna say.
Speaker 2: The way that he can just turn emotion on and off, and just the lack of any kind of you know.
Speaker 1: Like extreme antisocial attitudes and behavior and a lack of conscience.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and like a lack of like if your wife had just jumped off a bridge when you're talking to law enforcement, you would be shattered and he like in the police report, just like a stone cold, like no emotion, which is bizarre. Normal people would be crying and well.
Speaker 1: I think even normal. Not not that you're not important in her life, but I'd feel like if it happened to my wife, I wouldn't be going down her list of close friends first right within it a.
Speaker 2: Couple of days, unless you unless you murdered her, and you're trying to.
Speaker 1: Well, just in general, you're gonna you're gonna be You're gonna be around family, You're gonna be around and like her, I would expect her friends would probably show up, but I wouldn't be going out of my way to reach out to those people as the only people I contacted. So, did you immed, like when you heard this, did you immediately think that it was something with him? Or just give us yes, I don't want to lead you. I don't want to lead you. Tell us how you felt when you got that call.
Speaker 3: I hung up the phone. I was like I knew it. I told my husband. I was like, I told you something was going to happen. I knew it. And I have never called the police in my entire life. I didn't even know how to call the police. I got on the phone and I spent the rest of the afternoon trying to call the gig Harbor Police department, and then I couldn't get anywhere because it wasn't gig Harbor. It was supposed it was like the Sheriff's department for Pierce County. So I mean, I spent all this time trying to get through to somebody, and I finally get like a lady and she's like, ma'am, are you trying to tell me that somebody murdered somebody. I was like, I don't know what I'm trying to tell you, but something bad happened here. This is somebody needs to go and check this out. That was my immediate gut feeling. And I'm not a person who would call the police ever. And I immediately said, there's something this is not good. This is like something bad happen here, Like she did not do this, There's no way she did this, and this is I had not seen the video. I had not I didn't know anything about the the ring video. I didn't know anything about anything. This is based on her phone calls to me and his phone call to me. That is it. And I was like, this is wrong. There's something wrong here. I happened to ask him because I knew she had been talking to her sister, and I just said to Eric, you know, I just need to understand really what's happening right now, Like you know, it's hard to understand what you're saying, and I just don't really get what's going on. So is it okay if I get in touch with her sister? Could you give me Dora's phone number? And he was like, yeah, absolutely, So we hang up the phone. He texted me Dora's number. It took me a while to kind of get up the courage because I had literally met Dora like one time when I was fifteen, thirty years ago, and I was like, what are the chances that she's even gonna remember me? But I'm going to try it anyway. And so I reached out to Dora like, hey, you might not want to talk to me, and I totally understand, but I just am trying to understand what's going on, and she was so kind and called me back and we started talking and just in like probably fifteen minutes of me talking to her, I just said, Dora, I'm so sorry to ask me this, and I don't mean to offend you, but do you think that Eric has something to do with this? And she was like yes, I mean immediately, oh my gosh, yes. And then we just started like ooh, little bull talking about everything because we had so many like, so many pieces just don't fit together, so many things don't make sense.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, the him getting remarried a couple months after his wife of fifteen years or whatever di is. We both thought originally were like, that's insane. I've never heard of that unless somebody killed their wife and had obviously had been dating her before.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So you called Dora, you're talking to her, you both come to the same conclusion that you feel like he's responsible. From that point on, when did you start finding out about all the weird after effect things that were going on. Did you start following him on social media and seeing those posts and things like that, Yeah.
Speaker 3: A little bit of that. Dora was there for a lot of it. She because he reached out to her kind of for sort of support, and Dora was like trying to help out, be there with the kids, and you know, she kind of was like, I mean, I feel like this is really he's really strange and there's really strange things happening, and I just don't relieve the kids, you know, with him the way that he's behaving. And she knows a lot about the stuff that happened. But literally he got me married. I mean, there was some other girl that he was supposed to be bringing to the United States, some other girl like from some I think it was like from a Spanish country of some sort, and then like at the last minute, all of a sudden, he sent Dora a message and said, hey, I met someone, and she's like okay, and he's like, yeah, I think we went on a date. And she's like okay, I mean this is you know.
Speaker 1: It's like.
Speaker 3: Yes, but it's been like a month and you're okay, and then she's like I can't remember to her call him. He was like he is married. Wait what? And honestly, what I think is that he needed he could. He can't function by himself, like Gwen. Gwen kept the crazy under control like she held in the crazy, so no one kind of knew what kind of person he really was, and he needed somebody to help manage his crazy. And so unfortunately this poor I honestly do I don't know this woman that he married, but I honestly do think she just I think she wanted to come to the United States. I think she thought, I'm going to marry this nice American guy. I don't think she realized that he was, you know, an alcoholic and a psychopath. And she they went back to Kenya because not too long after they got married, her father passed away, and they went back to Kenya, and when she tried to return to the United States, she was detained and was not allowed to come back into the United States because of some sort of according to them, it was like paper work that and she's not allowed back in the United States for another eighteen months, and I don't know how long it's spent. But that's when he started writing all those posts about how you know s the USA and you know, I'm getting out of this country or whatever. And honestly, he literally left his children. He signed over the he signed over his parental rights and left his children and went to Kenya. That's crazy to be with his Yeah, he's crazy, is what. You're right, He's crazy.
Speaker 1: It's crazy.
Speaker 2: And even the detective in the police report that we got, and I think you've probably seen that by now too, because Dora had it y. Yeah, he even mentions that things don't add up, like I don't have enough evidence to really convict him of something. And I'm here thinking there's people in jail that have been convicted on less evidence.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just let somebody tell the story and then just be like, so what do you think here? Yeah, the hard part is everybody sees it. But at the moment, like in the moment when all this was happening, like the world was shut down. And the thing I remember about the detective, he's super nice, like when I talked to him on the phony, was really really nice. But he kept saying to us so farry and like really really bogged down. There's so much stuff to do, were so many cases, and he just made it sound like he just this is just more than he could kind of handle, you know, at the moment. And I get it, I understand, but I mean we emailed him. That's poor guy. Probably was like I need to change my email address because these women keep out of the peace. We emailed him, we called him and left messages, and he didn't He never responded ever. So we got one email that was like, hey, we're working on it, and then in August we got a final I'm really sorry for your loss, but it looks like it's a suicide case closed and that was the end of it. And that was like so heartbreaking because we all just knew that that's not really what was happening.
Speaker 1: My speculation at that time, I think you touched on a little bit, was this happened right at the height of COVID, and we got to try and put ourselves back in that mindset where nobody knew what was going on. It Still, it took us over a year to really get a grasp of how intense it was and what was really happening. But in that beginning, there was a lot of panic, a lot of confusion, and I feel like in normal peace time this would have probably been looked at a little bit closer than it was.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I mean we tried. I feel like, yeah, yeah, I tried. Getting the video surveillance footage from the Tacoma's Tacoma Narrow Bridge, and I was told that they the video gets deleted after a certain amount of time, which whatever, that's fine, But why didn't the detective pull this video?
Speaker 3: I mean, I don't know the.
Speaker 2: Van potentially had Like even though that like homeless guy or who the drug addict or however was on the bridge that saw the van saw potentially another person in the van, Like we were like, what is the incentive for that guy to make that up?
Speaker 1: Well, and that's kind of kind of what stinks is every little bit of lead that would be kind of like the lynchpin in the entire case is always hinged on something that's not entirely trustworthy. So you have this individual who is inebriated, homeless says he may have seen two people in the van, but then he makes some other stuff up. So you almost have to kind of get in the mind to somebody who may be on drugs or inebriated. But that always stuck with me because I feel like when people lie to manipulate, they're gonna lie and manipulate in ways that will help them more so than other people. And I felt the detail of how many people were in the van is an innocuous detail that you don't really need to lie about, so why would you.
Speaker 3: It just it felt to me like they picked out and I'm not blaming them necessarily, but it just felt like they picked out all the stuff that makes that made it easy. I'll believe you when you say I saw her, but I don't believe you when you say there was another person there, like I mean, and I mean honestly, before I even knew that, I never saw the fleet before, before we even knew that, I had said to Dora or when we were talking about it, I said, that guy's a runner. Right how far away into the bridge? Dora even drove the road from her house to the bridge, okay, because we were talking about like how far away is that? Is that far enough that you could walk back to the And I was like, well, you know, if it's far enough, like he could run, I know how long. We even looked to see because he was bragging about how fast his miles were, and I said, well, I mean, I think he could probably make it back, and like, you know, not seo long. He according to him, he runs like a six minute mile. He could probably make it back pretty fast. And I mean if you're adrenaline pumping, you'll probably get back there pretty quick. Right.
Speaker 1: So if so he told you he did what seventeen miles when he's running, do you feel like he was exaggerating or is that something where you believe where he can actually do those types of distances at those speeds.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think he really is a long distance runner, and I think he really does run. I think he really does that.
Speaker 1: So did you and Dora, like you said she drove the route, did you have Yeah, did you like kind of think about it and speculate what it would have taken him to run back, like in time or his ability?
Speaker 2: There's only five miles away, I believe.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well I don't know as flies, but you'd like I remember looking at the map and the road kind of looped around to get to the bridge.
Speaker 3: Well, Dora has a video of her driving from Gwen's house to the to the bridge. She has a video. I mean it's not it's not like an easy, quick little but I mean if you're an experienced runner, like you could run. I can't even understand. This is the other thing. Okay, when wore glasses, she was blinded about bout her glasses. How did she drive? You saw the video of what she looked like when she was leaving her house. How in the world is she going to get down this windy, dark, tree lined road. How is she getting from her house to this bridge? How is that happening? Like? How would you even She couldn't even put her key in her door? Like how do you even know, Oh, I'm now going to drive to this bridge that's fifteen minutes away or whatever it is, Like she couldn't even do put a key.
Speaker 1: In the speculation, at least what Eric's story was was she couldn't put the key in the door because she was inebriated, potentially on pills. Do you feel like was her vision really bad enough for that could have been a vision thing?
Speaker 3: I mean, I think it could have been a mix of both. I know when I was listening and when I listened to the podcast again and they were saying, like, you know she had or we were talking about the ostocy or the toxicology and we were talking about how you know she had that drug in her system. Yeah, but we don't really ever know how many how many pills were in this bottle in the first place, Like, I mean, I don't know how much was in the bottle. I don't know how much was in her system. And remember she is only like one hundred pounds. She's like a teeny little person.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, and someone else that we talked to also mentioned that, Okay, if she had taken a whole bottle of that medication again, she wouldn't have been able to drive all the way to the bridge without crash total in her car.
Speaker 3: Right right, I've made a connection with the neighbor that lives down the street from them, and she's like, it's hard to drive that street in the daylight, you know, when I have all my functions. She's like, there's no way you could drive down that street. And there's just like I don't know. It's just so frustrating.
Speaker 2: But it got me thinking to know, obviously, we would love We're going to keep trying to get a hold of that detective because I think it'd be great to talk to him about this case. But if it's still it's still I can't understand why that footage of the bridge wasn't pulled unless as a police department, like you were saying, the guy's overworked. They want to just get click cases closed. One way to make sure this doesn't turn into a murder investigation, is pulling evidence that would show that it was murdered. They know the footage gets deleted after so many days, and maybe they're just like, you know what, I bet he did murder her. But you know what, if we don't have this video footage, we can't bring him up on charges.
Speaker 3: Right, exactly believe that, okay? And also can I just say, can I just speculate again, just sure from talking to people that Gwen was stashing money around in different places, like different banks around the area. And I believe that if that is because she is planning on leaving. I don't know that for sure. That is pure speculation on my part, but she was putting money in places because she was planning on being able to, like I need to have money to survive, like when I get out of here.
Speaker 1: And did you hear that from her or from a source that you would deem credible?
Speaker 3: Yes, I did not hear that from her, Okay, I heard it from I got it from somebody. And then so I mean, it's expensive to get divorced. It's hard, you know, That's what it's going to cost you a lot of money. And you're going to have to pay you know, you'll have to pay it to support your kids.
Speaker 1: Outside of that, what you said before about he would march around outside with a gun, threatening her if she called the police. So it sounded like he had a control issue, and I'm almost wondering if she if again, we're going to go down the speculation path of I'm going to trust the information that you heard, because what we've been hearing from people that were close to her has pretty much turned out to be accurate. So let's assume she's storing money around town and planning to divorce. I almost wonder if it's possible she broke the news to him that night and he freaked out.
Speaker 3: It could definitely be the case. That could definitely be the case. She reached out to me for help for him when he was suicidal. I mean, so there's there's just no way in my mind that she would like she would not leave her kid with him. There is no way she would do that. There is no way she would not do that. She's a super smart person. She knows about drugs. She was in nursing, she knows about drugs and how drugs were Just no way that she would do that to herself, Like, Yeah.
Speaker 2: That's the impression we've been getting from everyone that's known her, is there's no way she would commit suicide over something like COVID or anything, especially because she wouldn't want to leave her kids.
Speaker 1: I think it's I think outside of let's even if he wasn't had all these episodes, I still think I'm not a mother. My wife is. But a thing changes when you have children, and especially if you feel like there's a thread at home. I can't imagine her leaving that. And that's where I think the biggest because I always try and play devil's advocate. I always try and really step outside of my emotional prediction of what's happening. And I think the thing that threw me off the worst was and you said you listened to the podcast, the part where when the detective called him to basically tell him that they found the van, and when he said, no, the van's here, she's here, everything's fine, and then all of a sudden it changed. I think that was like the biggest red flag ever, is he maybe lost control, did something and in the heat of the moment, is trying to cover it up, but is not thinking clearly yet and is saying things that are very damning that seem very damning to us. I think I made the comment that I'm basing it off of just watching detective shows, so that's not really a good indicator. But I kept throwing it back because I like to give people to benefit of the doubt, and I keep throwing it back to that is obvious, but maybe not if you're a police department dealing with the initial weeks of COVID. Yeah. Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I think our goal of talking with you, and we've got we're trying to get more interviews scheduled in the coming week, is eventually to get this case reopened. I think if enough pressure is brought onto the police department, the local government, that maybe some of the local news organizations start picking up this case.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: One of our recent episodes, the podcast called Luminal, got wind of this case and they're going to start talking about it on their podcast, and they're reaching out to other podcasters they know to try to and I told them, I said, spread spread the story far and wide, because the ultimate goal is to get the case reopening.
Speaker 3: Agreed, Yeah, it was.
Speaker 1: I remember when we first started looking into it, we started speculating a little nervous about saying that, because you don't want to just randomly accuse. But I haven't talked to a single person yet who hasn't made it seem more and more clear that it's that it just keeps getting worse and worse and worse.
Speaker 3: I was gonna say, Amanda, I think she probably reached out to too, was a friend of Gwen's in high school, and she sent your podcast actually to a couple of different reporters out one in Seattle area and one in the Tacoma area. I think so we've been just like listening because we're just like, I mean, we're you guys did the work like they don't. You don't even have to do anything, just listen. Just all you have to do is listen to it. She even put it at the bottom for you and one guy. One guy said oh, sorry, I can't. I can't listen to three hours or some of stuff, and was like, I mean, but you should. You should listen to it because you would not be able to shut it off.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's one of those stories that you see on like Dateline, NBC or the first forty eight, or there's been murder cases that have had convictions with less evidence.
Speaker 1: I feel like I know, but I truly do.
Speaker 3: My poor family, it's so sick of hearing this, and they're so thankful that I'm talking to someone else about it because Okay, got it, Yeah, we got it.
Speaker 1: And that can be kind of maddening too. If it's if you feel like there's something there and you feel like nothing's being done about it, I can only imagine, and it's different, but we do all these cases. If you listen to their show, it's when family members go missing and people feel helpless, and that's kind of what we're getting when we talk to people, is this feeling of helplessness that they feel like there's something there but nothing's being done about it. So we need to make enough noise that at least it gets looked into at an official level. And I think this is going to do that. And I really hope that this will will kick off a lot of times when people are nervous, they need to see someone else step up and do it. And I really think that you doing this with us will be that tipping point, hopefully to have more people feel more comfortable reaching out and telling us their story and from their mouth, because I as much as I'll repeat what they say, I think it is more impactful and more powerful coming from the person who experienced it.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean, I hope you know I said the right thing. I was like, I just I just have been waiting to tell the story to somebody who you know, it's not my family and friends that kind of can't do anything to help. And I don't know which one of you said it, but one of you says, I really believe that he had something to do with it. But I will gladly listen if you can prove to me that he didn't.
Speaker 1: Like, yeah, we would even have him on the show. Yeah, I said that in the podcast. If he calls in wants to talk to me, will I'm gonna grill him. If when he hears this, I will grill him and I will tell him, Hey, I think you did this. You need to convince me you didn't, and you need to do a damn good job because all the arrows point in the direction.
Speaker 3: Of you did it, and and that's exactly right. If you can prove to me that you didn't and this was you know, a legitimate you know, suicide. I'll send him, I'll send him a bouquet and say I'm sorry, but I cannot There's no there's It would take a lot for me to do my mind, it would.
Speaker 1: Take a lot.
Speaker 2: It's just we gotta get We just got to keep getting the word out there, get spreading the case message. And it's starting to happen now there's other podcasts that are talking about it, and I think it's I think this year, it's probably later in the year. It's really gonna the ball will start rolling, especially after our third episode. With all these interviews, we'll probably have to release some multi parts because it really wouldn't do it justice to obviously, will cut out the pieces that you don't want said. But I think your interview and I'm hopefully I'm talking to Dora tomorrow afternoon, he will have so much.
Speaker 3: Bess to tell you. She has so because she was literally right there when the police came and told him what happened, like he was right there. So she knows all that stuff. She knows everything. Okay, she is like a great person to talk to you. I appreciate you guys so much. I can't even tell you. It's like let's my heart rests a little because this has been super hard and so I appreciate you doing this.
Speaker 1: So Don, thank thank you very much for taking the time.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 1: We appreciate you for doing this. And let's hope we can blow this thing up and move that needle forward. So that was our full interview with Don and if for those watching, and we do encourage people just listening. We've been kind of flipping through Instagram posts, Google searches. The video they mentioned about Dora driving from their home to the bridge is still playing. Yeah, and this is one of the key things I want to discuss right away because I'm just thinking about it. So the theory, right.
Speaker 2: Go ahead, Oh no, so we're watching this video, it's what are we ten minutes in now?
Speaker 1: It's yeah, it's gotta be.
Speaker 2: And the original theory we have the ring doorbell video was that she was ineberated on pills and which is why she had a hard time getting your keys in the door, which then brought up the question of how was she able to drive her car to the bridge without totaling it or.
Speaker 1: And what we heard in that interview now Dawn said she was basically blind as a bat. With out her glasses, which she didn't have. So if let's assume both things are true, let's assume she took too many pills and didn't have her glasses. As we're watching this video, it's still going heavily forested turns, lots of turns, construction.
Speaker 2: No street lights on most of a lot of the roads. So you got to assume it's dark because it was at night, middle of the night. It would just be a miracle if you could make this drive without glasses, if you're basically.
Speaker 1: Legally blind without them.
Speaker 2: And aeberated on what kind of pills were those again and show are they like sleeping pills or.
Speaker 4: No benzodiazepines, so like a xanax type pill for depression.
Speaker 1: Once again, the go right into the mic. Okay, there you go.
Speaker 4: The police report does not mention the toxicology came back is having these inner system, but we have no idea how many were consumed, the amount of the benzo azepines in our system, And just watching this video, it is a difficult drive sober, and it's hard to believe that you could do this inebriated or lacking vision.
Speaker 1: Now I agree, it's a mix of like deep forested roads. It's a mix of highway the turns. Now, this was a little bit after but the construction on that bridge was probably still going on. That's speculation now because this is obviously after the fact, but it's pretty close to the incident when this is also happening. That this is the film that Dora had filmed, so this is too construction doesn't start and finish that quick, right, they seem to be pretty much in it. And then Andy, you host the question in the middle of when we were watching this as it passed, It's like, there's a bridge, right, Like, why if you're gonna go do something like that, why go to that one?
Speaker 2: And my next question is if she took all those pills presumable basically to kill herself with pills, why would you then go and drive somewhere to then ump off a bridge?
Speaker 1: Right? Yeah, who does?
Speaker 2: I'm not an expert in this area of like psychology or anything, but you know, I don't know that you hear about people trying multiple forms of suicide in one attempt.
Speaker 1: It's possible that I don't see the why part.
Speaker 2: I'm with you, obviously, I mean, that's just another thing that just doesn't make sense what we're you gonna say, Andy, I.
Speaker 4: Just wanted to back up a little bit. So this is the first time that I've heard the interview, and I think context is key to all this. So we're watching this video right now, and it's obviously a difficult drive, but I see that it's posted from May twenty twenty, So we're looking at this and there's already questions about like, how could she make this drive? Why are we recording this video? Looking at what this drive entails, and it really signifies what we've been talking about the whole time, that not everything adds up in this case. The story doesn't seem to make sense, and there's a lot of questions out there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think I made the point of the video from the bridge. Why wasn't that pulled by the detective? And I honestly think that I don't think they were on purpose doing that, but I think they probably did it because they didn't want this to turn into a full blown investigation. They you know, let's rule it a suicide, clothes that be done with it. COVID's going on, could be the Black plague. We don't know what this is. Let's just close this case, get it over with.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I don't think they realized. I really don't think they realized she jumped off the bridge right away if you think about it, because they weren't really looking in the water at all. It was not until somebody else called in the body at the port or where they found it that it became that. But because they're dealing with the word of that potentially homeless inebriated gentleman who said he might have saw one person who gave him the van, there might have been two people in the car, so they probably even know what they were dealing with.
Speaker 2: That video would have been live and available to get be pulled by lawn for I think for sixty or ninety days, so there's no excuse why thirty days.
Speaker 1: Later they didn't. That is like your big crux just bucks me, because no it does. There would be no not wrong. I just that that there would be no way for him to get off that bridge. He would have he would be caught on video, yeah, running running, Yeah, at.
Speaker 2: Two in the morning or whenever this was in the morning. That is very damning evidence based on all of the other statements that he made about how she left on her own and this and that, like that would be you're the lawyer here, but that would pre significant evidence. If they had video of him running off the bridge.
Speaker 4: I think that would be.
Speaker 1: Yes, Yeah, I don't think you have to be a lawyer to know that one running away from the scene of a crime. Yes, when you said you weren't there.
Speaker 4: And this is some of the value from Down's interviews. She was here during all this, right, she was an active part of what's going on. And she said she had communications with the detective. And we came to this case years after the fact, and we're speculating. We all know what it was like in the immediate aftermath of COVID, but she had conversations with the detective and everything was shut down. It was crazy. They were bogged down in work and it just doesn't seem like something that's tied up tied up very well from a police investigation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we speculated that in the other episodes of.
Speaker 2: Here's here'd be a camera going through a toll booth. Yeah, like you would clearly see who'd be driving the car. Yeah, absolutely, And if Don if Gwen was really in migrated Dollar toll, Holy Cow or.
Speaker 1: Blind, you would see eric driving the car or like her, not only your ability to get there, pay the toll, not crash into the stuff. You know, those tolls they narrow so you can't get around them.
Speaker 2: And you don't, so riddle me this. They looked like a toll booth was had an attendant, right, well, go back.
Speaker 1: We have the power of reverse.
Speaker 2: So this is another thing. If I was a detective, I would have done.
Speaker 1: Far enough. Here you go.
Speaker 2: So maybe it's like an Illinois there's booths. Now there's booths, so you've gotta maybe they're.
Speaker 1: Cook you know, here we go. I can do this. Let's see if she's talking talks to somebody. Yep, she's talking to a person. So yeah, are these are these toll booths manned in the early morning? I mute that so sorry.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: So if there was a tollbooth operator working at the time and this woman pulls up completely hammered out of her mind, yeah, and can't see he can't see some pills, don't you think they would have mentioned something or would have called the policemen like, hey, this lady, because they would probably just assume she's drunk, or.
Speaker 1: More importantly, hey, last night a van got appear in something like did you see this van? Who worked last night? Interview those individuals? Did you see this car come through? Were there are two people in it? Was there one person that they seem inebriated?
Speaker 2: They're probably trained, or at least told if you see somebody that's drunk come through the toll booth, call the police because they're going to scoop him up for drunk driving. That seems pretty reasonable. Now, if someone else was driving the van and Gwen was just in it, perfectly normal situation, you wouldn't think anything else. So that would be another area. If I was a detective, I would have gone and asked who was on shift last night.
Speaker 1: Work in the toll booth?
Speaker 2: Did you see anything strange come through at this time? That seems very basic detective work.
Speaker 4: And I think one thing to note here, and Joey brought it up while we were playing the interview, is that we had been operating under this assumption that she took a bottle of pills and drove to the bridge.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 4: We saw this video that came from I think it was a Facebook post from Eric, But the only thing we have confirming that is the police report, which does not speak to the amount of the bids of diazepines in her system. And now we know that she wasn't able to see if she was leaving without her glasses, she might have not been intoxicated at under pills at all. Right, So we need to peel these layers.
Speaker 1: And it's absolutely a possibility where.
Speaker 4: One that maybe her inability to fit the key in the lock and kind of swaying is vision issues and not intoxication, not some sort of a suicide attempt.
Speaker 1: Well, and if she got in a fight with her husband, not only vision issues. She's upset, so you go outside, if she's been crying, she can't see dous everglasses, she's just in a whatever. And I think what's important is it's it doesn't see in Everyone says this, and I'm not going to give anything away because we do have Doras interview that we're gonna do next. So there's a lot more information in that one that I'm trying to not introduce just because it's not the right time. But why would she pull the trigger on doing this to herself? Now? What occurred? Because everything we've been hearing from her friend is that things were getting better, things were looking up, everything was getting better, she loved her kids, she would never leave her kids. All those positive things that we're hearing about happen right before the this incident. Usually when people do something like that, there's a slow decline or they've been in a mental state for a long period of time and they finally just do it. Everything points in the direction that she was going the opposite direction in a good way, and then all of a sudden, this happens.
Speaker 2: Yeah, based on this interview and the other interviews we have obviously done that we haven't released yet, and comments and messages with people, I do not get the impression at all that Gwen was in a suicidal state before her death. That's that's based on close friends, family, her social media posts, just everything about her does not lead me to think that. And a lot of times on our other episodes we say that and we don't really We don't really know their personal life.
Speaker 1: We don't have this much insight in it.
Speaker 2: We have a lot of insight into Gwen's final few years before her death, and I don't think she was in a suicidal state. I think maybe I'm not gonna say I think.
Speaker 1: It's possible, But all the indicators point to highly unlikely. I think it's possible where someone can do that, and it's odd, it seems out of the blue.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think I think Dawn mentioned too about how Eric seemed to be able to turn emotions on and off in a drop of a hat. We've got all of these crazy events going on in the past where he's waving guns around saying that he's going to kill himself. Yeah, and I think you factor that in. I think you factor in the video of her not being able to get the key in the door. Then you look at this video the drive to the bridge and the toll booth.
Speaker 1: I just it's a long drive. I don't think for a long distance runner doable. I don't think she was driving. Now that i'm it's gotten that very difficult.
Speaker 2: I think something either happened to Gwen at her home and she was transported to the bridge, or she got a ride from someone else to the bridge and then something happened on the bridge. That's why it's so frustrating. We don't have any of the video footage from the bridge, we don't have statements from the tollbooth operators. Don made a great point about how they believed that homeless guy about the fact that Gwen was there, but then they don't care about the fact he said there was also possibly someone else in the car.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: How I mean, it's almost like they were trying to not collect evidence.
Speaker 1: You're really on that, You're really on that they want to close the case train.
Speaker 2: I mean, why else would you not do some of this basic detective work.
Speaker 1: I see. That's I'm nicer than you on this one. I'm not nice in other things. I think COVID fuck. I think because again I try and put myself that we are in because if I'm recalling properly, like Washington State was like it was like the first few cases were coming out of there, people were panicking. And this is where I became less anxious about it as we went on after they found out like, oh, if you're healthy and young, still dangerous, but way better. In those early days, it's like, Okay, the first month or two, oh, it was like nobody knew what was going to happen. Nobody knew how like it was at that point, It's seem like mortality rate was like fifty percent, like something crazy. That's what it felt like. So you have these police officers that they're people too. We're gonna go like, there's a body floating their cars on the bridge. The only witness we have is one guy. Want the husband's at home. It looks like a suicide if you're not digging into it like we did, and if you're in the beginning of COVID, there's a lot bigger stuff going. They're probably getting calls all the time from people freaking out. True, So if I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt, this looks clear cut if you don't dig into it. She took pills. She looked upset on a video left. The husband seems a little quirky if you're just taking initial statements. Okay, he's home. I called there, he said he was there. There's a van, a weird homeless guy said she saw a lady fall off the bridge. There might have been another person, and then the bodies in the water. We guess what, right there, all that information, Yeah, sounds like a suicide.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And we have the benefit of being able to focus all of our time and effort this case exactly. They're focusing on lots of different murders and awards.
Speaker 1: If it wasn't COVID. Yeah, maybe they would have dug in this deep. Maybe it wasn't they didn't have so much going on. But with that going on, I want to give them the benefit of the doubt and say it was probably chaotic.
Speaker 4: Well, and another thing to think about here is that we have the benefit of what happened after her death and after they had ruled this a suicide, and we look back through the social media posts and saw his posts on I'm looking for a woman. I feel like a man standing on one leg in the marriage. Three months after while they were investigating this, none of that had happened yet, so we are backed into this seems a little suspicious. But another thing that's interesting to me from this interview with Down is she has the same suspicion moving forward and long term friends with Gwynn. We all have friends from high school that we're very close with but have moved apart and communicate those couple of times a year. And if one of your friends texts you and says, this is going to be my best year yet, and then the next thing you hear is that they've committed suicide, that's red flags across the place.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, Yeah, That's a great point because it's not like she wasn't being one hundred percent honest with her the entire time before that message. Because there are friends you have that are maybe good friends, but more superficial, you're not going to come to them with your dark stuff, the things that you need help with. Yeah, she was talking to her well prior to this about the dark stuff. She was talking to her through her worst times. And to your point, she messages like, oh my gosh, it's getting good. We got the new house, we're in a wooded area. It's going to be the best year ever. And that's when she does it, because it should have been in October or November or when we heard that there's domestic stuff. That was the deepest, darkest part. That's when someone who's actually going to do suicide probably would do it when they're at their lowest, and she was coming out of that. And that's what doesn't add up.
Speaker 4: The other red flag that jumped out first time listening to this interview, and this is news I think across the board, is that Dawn had heard that Gwenn was moving money around, that she was putting money in different banks, and the speculation is well, we don't know, and we don't want to speculate, right, but that's another way.
Speaker 1: You know, you're a lawyer, you shouldn't. I can. I'll speculate all the way. Well, and she did say and I think that's fair. I think that is fair to put the disclaimer on. And she even mentioned it she heard at third party, so Gwen didn't tell her she was doing it, but she said she heard it from someone who's a credible source. So let's assume again now we're speculating, but that's someone who is a close friend to Gwen in gig Harbor, potentially, somebody that's close enough to know that maybe it's a credible source of If she's hiding money places, it's because she's fearing something or she's gonna make a move. Again, if you're going to commit suicide, why would you hide money away from potentially getting to your children or the people that might need to use that.
Speaker 2: To And it's a little strange. I believe she mentioned that there was speculation that she was maybe planning on leaving Eric and around this time, and sure enough she ends up pat dead from suicide.
Speaker 1: That also seems a little coincidental. Yeah, did she announce it that night or say you know what, this marriage is over. We're done, and he lost it and he's a control freak. I think we've learned that he wants control. I think a control freak.
Speaker 2: Obviously we know about the drinking issues, and obviously there appears to be some mental health problems with the waving the gun around and all that.
Speaker 1: If it was a normal individual and their wife.
Speaker 2: Told him they're leaving him, I wouldn't assume and then something happened to him and they died, and none of this other stuff had happened. I would probably just like as just a sad coincidence that she told him that she was leaving and then passed away. But when all of this other stuff happens and then there's speculation that she was about to leave him and then she ends up dead, that seems very strange to me. And again, if I was a detective, I would probably dig into that more. But this is after the fact. I don't know what it would take to reopen a case. And obviously you can't like stuff on social media like you can't. It's got to be like what do they say, like the smoking gun or the bloody knife?
Speaker 1: I don't know. I'm sure there's lots of detectives that are just like really furious at everything we're saying about this type of stuff. But the reality is.
Speaker 2: We're coming at it from just a normal citizen who is taking in all the facts, and it doesn't make sense. None of it makes sense why it wasn't investigated further other than the only caveat is we had this crazy thing called COVID going on yep, which is a very plausible reason why things happen the way they did.
Speaker 1: And like I said, I always have to put myself in the mindset of right at the beginning, because we look at it and the.
Speaker 2: Detective come on and explain his reasoning for why these various things didn't happen, like why didn't the tolbooth people get talked to?
Speaker 1: Why wasn't the video pulled? There may be very explain it. Or maybe they didn't have toll both people because of COVID. Maybe they just left it open. Yeah, maybe I would like Yeah, I mean i'd like to know if.
Speaker 2: There'd still be video foot Yes, yeah, I mean we could probably call this. I've told both people this time the dot and I've run through toll booths in Chicago, and you get a letter in the mail with your a picture of you in your car with your license plate saying like you didn't pay the toll you're supposed to pay those Yeah, I paid it eventually.
Speaker 4: But I think this all highlights the importance of what you guys are doing right here, because we have the police report and we know the steps that they went through, and we're looking back right hindsight's twenty twenty obviously, but now we have Dawn's interview. I know you have more exciting information to come out that you've been able to on Earth, and we're looking at this story from a different light that just wasn't present in April in May of twenty twenty, when when this investigation was going on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I think again, thank you to down down with us.
Speaker 1: We're still in contact with her.
Speaker 2: That every The thing that the confines all of these people together is they want justice. Y'all really love don or Gwen, and they all feel like we do. They're just shocked that this happened and nothing happened afterwards, like no one Well.
Speaker 1: And we're not even related, but I think we I mean, Andy, you brought this to me on a whim because you became kind of obsessed with it because of what you saw, and you're not related, so it's as so you can only imagine how these people who care about her, like directly feel family members are feel like they feel like something needs to be done, something's not happening. So we've been getting the overwhelming response of they're so glad this is happening now don mentioned it. She's like, I can't tell my own family anymore because she's been talking about it for two years. Yeah, and I've felt helpless before, and that is that can eat away at you like crazy. So that's to us. We look at as if we can use this platform to really shine light on this, catapult this to the front, and potentially get more news outlets and I'll involved.
Speaker 2: The end goal is to get the investigation reopened. Yeah, I mean just want a second look at it. I throw it out to the listeners. We have a lot of people listening to the show now, which is awesome. Out of all those people, if you know people that are in news media or whatever, this is a this could be a big story because it is potentially a murder that is going completely unsolved.
Speaker 1: As a result of COVID. Like I said, I'm not as mean as Mike is. I'm just gonna say it. It was a very convenient time for all of this stuff to happen. And if you're gonna get away with a crime, that was the time to do it, when the entire world was disheveled. That's, to me, is like what a lucky opportunity to have something where someone might not look as closely because of everything else that's going And I'm not being mean to I know, at least I'm giving you a hard time. No, I'm just bringing up valid questions I have.
Speaker 2: If I was a close family member, I would have asked those exact same things, like, all right, did you talk to the tolbooth operators?
Speaker 1: No? Okay? Why not? Did you pull the video from the bridge? No? Okay? Why not?
Speaker 2: Did you investigate further once you learned of all the other things that happened around Gwen in the last couple of years?
Speaker 1: Okay? Why not?
Speaker 2: Like I would ask those questions if I was a close family member, and I'd be really mad if they didn't dig deeper into that.
Speaker 4: And I think you have a good point, Mike. So when we I think the first episode, maybe even the second episode, we were looking at this. We had Gwen's obituary and no family was mentioned. And now we have maybe a little bit of reasoning for why there was no family mentioned. And our speculation was, Hey, maybe no one's putting pressure to get answers to these questions. Now we know they were, and it was mentioned in the police report, and you guys are digging up the answers to the questions.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah. And he speculated just a tiny bit at the end and just said, I've informed any family to bring any information forward. And maybe as a detective, he's got rules that he has to bye by. He can't just go around and do the speculating that we might be able to because we're a podcast show. He's got to have hard evidence, and everything is just shy of that hard evidence. Okay, I got kind of a witness. It's a homeless guy who's completely inebriated.
Speaker 2: And most police departments are taxed to the max on case loads, and they don't have the time without COVID. Without COVID, they don't have the time or resources to dig back into old cases they've closed. Especially this isn't like a murder case that they closed because they couldn't find a killer. They closed a suicide, so they don't have the resource. There has to probably be very like a smoking gun to get them to reopen.
Speaker 1: I think, on its surface level, it looks like a suicide. If I'm being fair, it's we found the body. Toxicology shows benzodiazepines in the system. Granted we didn't see how much. But you have the witness saying, ah, a slave crusher fan and gave me the keys. And then I saw a shadow fall off the bridge on its face right then and there. Hey, I'm sorry, it sounds and looks like a suicide. I've got COVID to go deal with. I've got two hundred other calls of people panicking. I'm worried for my life, my own family. They are human, after all. And if we're looking down the barrel of what looks like a huge worldwide plague, what's the mindset the detective? He could He's probably a good dude. He probably is a good detective. But again, holy cow, is everyone gonna die? I need to beat my family. This looks like a suicide. I'm going home.
Speaker 2: And maybe they didn't want to interview all these people because of risk of getting COVID. Absolutely, like you know what.
Speaker 1: The less contact. Remember they were letting people get away with speeding. They were the officers I'm friends with were told not to pull cars over. That's why the guy broke the cannonball run record.
Speaker 4: I think with the change in protocol, right, there's.
Speaker 1: Absolutely yeah, they said just don't engage. Don't like because everyone didn't know what was gonna happen. Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I think with all that said, I think if there's even a ten percent chance that a murderer is walking the streets, you can't just let that go.
Speaker 1: That's why we're near mic. Yeah, I don't know. Very interesting. If you have any closing Andy.
Speaker 4: No, I think you've hit it all on the head and honestly, I think that this is very encouraging. I know that Dawn reached out to you. You've been in contact with more people, and really what's happening is the questions are being answered. You guys are getting there and any light that shed on this is positive.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well I agree with Andy. Yes, I do you think we're doing a good job?
Speaker 2: And if there's any other people at host podcast True Crime podcast listening. Reach out to us if you want to talk and if you truly didn't do it, we want to get to the bottom of that too and clear all speculation.
Speaker 1: Yep, absolutely, I will say as a teaser going forward, we have another interview coming up with Dora's stepsister. No, with Dora, Oh yeah, with Gwen's stepsister. I'm sorry, I'm getting all the name. It's down Dora. It's so close, but there's even different information, more information. That interview was almost two hours, and then we did remove some things that she was not comfortable with, so it's gonna end up being about just the interview piece about an hour forty five and hour fifty. Will be planning to record that one next. We're gonna let this one sit for a while and get people's feedback. We're hoping that the other people that either interviewed with us or express interests that were worried about doing it will bring forward some of that information because outside of these two interviews, Yeah, there's even more information that these two people didn't have that those people are not comfortable sharing. And we've always stood by our word. We're sitting on this stuff. If they never wanted out there. It's gonna go to the grave with Mike and I and Andy because we're not gonna sell anybody out. But we hope that this gets more people interested in sharing their story information they have. What were we gonna say, Mike, Oh, I was just gonna say, we have.
Speaker 2: I think we've got ten more people lined up to interview.
Speaker 1: Oh really, Yeah, that's even more than what I thought. Holy cow. Yeah, there's a lot of people coming out and what's really not shocking to me but almost reinforcing it is and I have to think of a way to say it to not reveal anything. People who you people who contacted us, who just based on who they were in the relationship to Eric. I thought we're gonna be a finally good counterpoint to everything we've been saying. And I have not gotten that out of any of them yet. Yeah.
Speaker 2: This is universally across the spectrum of various people, friends, family, coworkers, whoever they are. They've all come to the same conclusion we have, which where in life when you talk to dozens of people across the country from different where.
Speaker 1: In life nowadays do you see consensus and.
Speaker 2: Census where yet different ages, different genders, different jobs, different relationships with the people we are talking about. Everyone has come to the same conclusion that does not happen anymore.
Speaker 1: It does not know. Thanks again for tuning into our show. We appreciate all of you for listening and sharing locations and known with your friends and family. Be sure to like and follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter. We also have the YouTube channel going so if you want to watch the video. The entire time we were recording this show, while the interview is happening, I was throwing up images, videos, or things that were relevant to the case. If you want to support us monetarily, you can visit our store on either the Facebook page or at our website. You can also subscribe to Patreon or YouTube subscriptions to get access to additional content outside of our public content. And just remember when enjoying the beauty of nature, whether backpacking, camping, or simply taking a walk, always remember to leave no trace. Thanks and we will see you all next time.