Speaker 1: It's time for coffee and company. Fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety Holy.
Speaker 2: Crap, I don't know who the hell we think when we.
Speaker 1: Are get off our show. Idiots, the kids are playing or trail off. The countries are screwing it up. Gold Play Inner Murals, Brother, gold Play Inner Murals. They're supposed to be mature adults, but they're really not. Who's the kid here? Who's the kid here? Are you kidding me? Now? Here's nick coffee?
Speaker 2: All right, let's get it started. Derby Week. In fact, it is sunny as all get out right now here in downtown Louisville, and it's eighty two degrees, which it's warm, but that's better than rain. And unfortunately, well, I don't know. I mean to be great in a perfect world if we could get a beautiful week, because Derby of course is a season, and then you have Derby Week and then you've got you know, Derby Day. But right now, as I look at the forecast for the rest of the day or the rest of the week, I should say, we have, you know, today is perfect. If we could get today every day, that would be great. But let's be a little realistic here. Tomorrow, Wednesday as well as Thursday gonna be warm, but gonna be gonna be rainy according to you know, the forecast. But Friday and Saturday look great. We're talking mid to high sixties sunshine with some clouds. So if that holds up, I'd say we should be pretty grateful from other nature looking out for us. But again, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, if it rains all day, that's not exactly ideal. But the scenario where we ever have a week where it's just pleasant, sometimes great, but like never rainy or anything like that, like, that's just not a real that's fantasy land, right, Like, I'm not sure that's ever. I'm sure it has happened before, but I can't remember a time where we had a week that was just nice and we didn't have to worry about rain. Now, I don't know if there's any week throughout this time of the year where we can get that, because you know, obviously in the spring it rains. But as of now, it looks good for Friday and Saturday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday not so much. All right, let's get it started again. Derby Weak Coffee and Company. We are fueled by Thornton's I'm sure you knew that. If not, now you do. My name is Nick Coffee. I hope you knew that. Boston Montgomery alongside today the travel chief, and this is our time to shine. We are the horse racing guys, right, act like just just just you know, let's just act like that because I'm convinced a lot of folks, you know, just kind of hope nobody notices that they're just saying like big buzzwords when it comes to horse racing, you know, knowledge the sport, that kind of stuff. So I learned long ago that I'm not good at faking it, So I just I'm transparent. This will be me giving you my you know, I'm sure you'll hear me say it than just now. But I don't know anything about horse racing. Probably should, it would probably help me this week. But I've always argued that, yes, we have the biggest event in sports when it comes to horse racing, the Kentucky Derby. It's an awesome thing and I love that it's our event. I think there are cities across the country, really, I guess probably cities across the world that really they've got something they know that they're known for and they you know, it's their time to shine and they embrace it. They love it. They welcome those that come to their hometown, or maybe not their hometown but where they live to you know, experience something that's special. And the Kentucky Derby is certainly that. But I just you know, I I learned long ago that horse racing is not something I'm probably ever going to be interested in other than you know, when it comes to the actual Derby. But it is exciting. You know. Today it was the first day for me where it felt like, okay, here we go, like Derby time is here. I've been talking about the last few weeks. It just kind of didn't really feel like Derby season was upon us. Maybe it's because of, you know, the distraction we have with the awful flooding and we had a tornado too, Let's be real, it wasn't like we you know, we've had some pretty brutal weather. But again, it's Derby week and that is exciting. Can you name any of the horses in the field, Austin, Yes, Okay, I like a few of them. That's right up.
Speaker 1: What am I?
Speaker 2: What am I doing? You you went to the Derby. The Derby preview we had on Aney, you're the expert. I'm glad you reminded of me that because I'm I'm gonna have to lean on you. I got it.
Speaker 3: I got not everything you need, because you got everything I need.
Speaker 2: Baby, I got everything that you need.
Speaker 3: When myself though, when it comes to horse race, and I do enjoy it, like my my father is always big at Actually the Kirkster was at the track while yours truly was being born. He had to be called over to the hospital because yeah he was. He was at the betting windows especially a great story. That fantastic, But like when it comes to like knowing like the trainers and the jockeys and stuff like that, I really don't get it. But I've sort of followed him around because there's a lot of times where I'll pop in the horse race and betting app eleven o'clock at night, betting all around the world, and I'll see some of these names and I've seen them before.
Speaker 2: So I'm excited for the Derby, and.
Speaker 3: I know a few. You want me to go ahead and tell you my favorite? Should we just go ahead? And of course the one that I like and this might be just falling into the trap that everybody else is setting. But it's a horse named Sandman. I don't know if you've heard this story. Yeah, it's a beautiful gray horse and it's named after Metallica's inner Sandman. And like from as far as I know, like their trainer is like a young hot shot and like the Horse Training Committee, he's like a social media influencer. He does like collaborations, like his training. He gets like millions of views, and I think that's not looked upon rightly out of the you know, it's the old boys club in horse racing, right so they see someone like that coming making a little bit noise. That's where he gets his doubters from. But I like him. He's a second favorite right now, six to one. The other one is journalism. That's your overwhelming favorite. It's fresh off one in the Santa I need, but Santa I need a Derby. But here's the thing. All these all these horses are the best in the world. They're Grade A horse winners, like you have to you have to win Grade A stakes to be in the derby. So it's it's gonna be interesting. But journalism, I don't know, do you like that name for horse or something about a horse being named journalism that I don't know. I like to go off the names too, don't get me wrong.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean to me it is there a story behind it? Because there's I mean, in fact, there's this necessarily sure, there's a story behind every every name I feel like, and some are really interesting and you know, you think, Okay, I would have never guessed that that's how you came up with the name, but it makes sense. And then there's some that are just you know, yeah, there's not a cool story. We just decided to name it that because of something, you know, something random, or hey, my kid really liked the name. We let we let my son or my daughter pick it out. But Jason Frakes does a really good job of helping I mean, he's he's kind of a Swiss Army knife for the CG I think here. Lately, in the last I don't know, decade or so, he's been known for covering high school sports and he does a phenomenal job at that, but he also helps out with Kentucky Derby coverage, and each year he releases a ride up that has the explanation behind every name in the Derby, and like, that's one of my favorite things to talk about them. Like, to be honest with you, this will really put it in perspective sort of my my my comfort zone when it comes to talking derby is like that's my favorite thing. We do Derby week to kind of lead up to it, because you know, I don't have to really know anything about horse racing or give you any kind of big picks or anything like that when it comes to just sharing how each horse got their name, and I think that's interesting. So you know, we'll get to that at some point later in the week, I'm sure.
Speaker 3: Also, Like the other big storyline is Bob Baffort's back in the Derby for the first time in like five years.
Speaker 2: That's the biggest storyline in probably in the sport other than just the Derby. Is that Bafford, after that legal battle with Churchill downs, he's back and you know you can you can never count him out, right, Like he's got two horses, that's right. So I don't know if I'm going to bet on this, but this is something that just you know, you know, I'm a big time, you know, nineties country fan. I think a lot of people know that if you listen to this show Toby Keith mullet Toby Keith in the nineties legendary always been a big Toby Keith fan. Obviously, he passed away not that long ago, and I didn't know that he had any interest or you know, I think he actually I don't know the exact story, but he is connected in some way to one of the horses in the derby this year. Really, Yeah, and it is. Let's see, I just had it pulled up here. Where the hell's it at? Well, that's what I get for trying to give you a name of a horse and now I can't seem to find. Yeah, here we go. It is render judgment. Is the horse in the derby that he is? Again? I think he might be part owner or something, or maybe his estate is. So that's one that like, I don't know anything about the horse other than what I just shared with you, but it's got me at least thinking, Okay, maybe I'm gonna pull for that. It looks as if currently thirty to one odds, which you know isn't great, but I kind of like betting on horses like that because you know, you just never know. Yeah, I just feel like to me, it's and this is, this is I think puts it in perspective sort of kind of where I am when it comes to understanding like what I don't even know what? Like if I was going to dedicate a certain amount of time to you know, studying the field here and and figuring out what I wanted to do, I wouldn't even know how to do that, right, I wouldn't. There's things that you can reference, like things you see in the program Ride ups on the Horses, Like I could read the experts, but like it's so over my head. I just you know, it would be a waste of my time. It's a new language. So let's go back to Like when I talk about gambling and betting on sports, I enjoy betting on football and basketball because those are the sports that I at least, you know, tell myself that I have some knowledge of, and I keep up with I know who's good, who's not, that kind of stuff. So when I do win, and in reality, it's it's mostly just luck. I mean, if it wasn't, then you know, I think a lot of us would be doing a lot better when it comes to the you know, the profits we make from from betting on sports. So you but when I do win and I put a little bit of thought into it, it makes it more enjoyable. But I've always believed that winning or losing when it comes to gambling in any form or fashion is really is really just luck. And I convince myself of that. So I can, you know, make sure I never feel like, Okay, funds are getting tied at home, kids need diapers, let me go to the slot machine, like you know what I'm saying, Like, it's just it's it's it's not worth it, right, So anyways, I you know, to me, betting on horse racing is just like the slot machine. It's just like playing blackjack. Sure, you know, I just to me, it's just it's luck. So therefore I just try to find a horse that I've got some type of you know, interest in, maybe based off the name. But I also like betting ones that maybe aren't like the the the you know, predicted to finish dead last, but you know, kind of somewhere in between, like the twenty thirty to one odds, and usually if they win, you know, there's there's a little bit more juice there on the on the payout for casual sports betters.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I could totally see where you're coming from from that, because there's so much more intricacies to betting, like the try in the super effected, because I feel like anybody could just pick a winning horse and that's the random one that's going to pay you out.
Speaker 2: However, many but.
Speaker 3: People like they they judge their their their speeds and their there there. They have stats for this is how many, this is how good they look when they race on dirt or on a slow track or a fast track, and they always have those in the field peg to win or to be in force. So there's always a trifect or a SuperFect or like your daily double where you win like three races in a row or something like that. And shout out talk about the Derby betting preview thing. I was able to get my about to be in laws in there. And they're huge, huge nick huge racing fans. Okay, fire all the time. They are always they're always at like there's group chats that they have with like everybody just talking about it.
Speaker 2: It's a it's a daily grind for them.
Speaker 3: Let me tell you, they were locked in, they had they were writing on their programs and by the end they were standing up asking questions.
Speaker 2: Oh hell yeah, it was great. So we've got some resources here. It sounds like we can utilize to help us be a little better. And now again I'm not gonna have some fun. I don't want to throw you in there with me, because again you you you know clearly a little bit more about it than I do. In fact, anybody listening probably does.
Speaker 3: All you need to do, Nick, is just bet on it once and then you just need to see your horse cross the line, and then that's what hooks you.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure I've ever been worse at betting on anything or doing anything than in horse racing. Yeah, I mean, now it's been enjoyable because my son, and I'm curious if he's still gonna be as into it. I'm gonna take him out to the backside this week and let him enjoy it. But like for for reasons, I have no clue why my son is obsessed with horse racing. And again it's not you know, clearly he didn't get it from me, right, but he loves he loves horse racing. He doesn't as much now because he's got a little bit Well, I'm sure, he still loves it. But when he first started to like watch our phones whenever we're at dinner, or watch his tablet instead of watching you know, cocoa melon or whatever, he's watching old horse races on YouTube. And I mean and he he's he loves horse racing and he's a born again trainer and he's been to he's been to Churchill Downs many times. And we now go, you know, we go on Thanksgiving Day. That's kind of our family thing now, meaning just the four of us, and then we go do family stuff with my parents and whatnot. And then we also go on Father's Day, and then we'll go occasionally just you know, if there's if there's you know, hey, there's gonna be some some night racing or something like that. And you know, he he just he loves horses. So when he gets a chance to see them as they walk, you know, walk by the paddock that kind of stuff, he'll pick one. And I would be willing to bet that more than half of the times he's picked a horse and we bet on it for him, he is won. And at times it's been horses that you know, had terrible odds. So it was actually a pretty good payday. He bought that a few beers that day. Didn't even know. Oh that's right. So I thank I think we got some special in that kid. So he so about two years ago. I think it was, I guess coming up on two years it was like Father's Day of twenty twenty three. He we were walking in and you know, he only watch all he knows is just to keep in mind at this point, he's two going on three. Now he's four going on five. But he asked, Dad, is just the Preakness? And there was somebody walking in behind us that was older and they I turned around and you know, I was like, nobody, this is this is Churchill down, this is where the derby is. And then this older gentleman was like, did he just ask if this was the Preakness? And I was thinking, yeah, you know, he's confused. And they were like, he's two, how does he know what the Preakness is? And I'm like, well, here, he just watches videos all the time. He loves it. And they're like, oh, you must be you must have really gotten him started early. Huh, Dad like, no, he knows more than I do. He's two years old. I don't know anything. I don't even know what the preakness is. Yeah, so that has actually made a little bit a little bit more fun for me. And if there's ever anything that will make me want to want to be more knowledgeable about it, it would probably be that, because you know, he can enjoy it and I can enjoy it along with him. But like, at some point he's gonna feel like I'm a real loser because it's gonna, you know, maybe it becomes his passion, maybe gonna look down on everyone, maybe he become the new expert. I don't know, but yeah, he has a lot of fun with it. So we'll let him pick out. So for me when it comes to betting, I'm gonna I'm gonna just let him pick a winner and hope that it works out. And if it does, hell yeah. If not, you know, no, biggie, because I know that no matter what I decide to do, that certainly wouldn't win. But yeah, Derby weeks here, it's exciting and we'll have some fun this week getting you set up for Saturday's big day. And we got a lot to get into today, by the way, We've got about I mean, Mondays are always really busy and I wouldn't have it any other way. And I know, Thursday and Friday it was really just NFL Draft NonStop, and I feel like that was that was you know, what you probably would have expected us to do, given the NFL Draft is such a big event. I don't want to make today nothing but NFL Draft reaction. But man, there's a lot to unpack. I mean, I've got updated thoughts on the Shadoor Sanders situation, and I just, I mean, I don't want to regurgitate so much that I said Friday, but to see him not get picked in the second round or the third round and then have to wait until you know, the fifth round on on Saturday, I mean, it just kind of further makes me feel that that my you know, that this guy was never as good as anybody claimed he was. There was a lot more hype and you know, buzz surrounding shit over Sanders as a quarterback than than you know, substance, and I just I don't know how nobody once thought to themselves, because let's be real, the amount of people out there like this is unheard of. I mean, we even had Trump tweeting out that, you know, somebody needs to pick him and again i'll, i'll, I'll dive back in here on the other side. But imagine not understanding that, like you don't earn an NFL draft position somebody. An NFL draft is a choice. You can be the most accomplished player in the world. If somebody doesn't pick you, that's their choice. You're not entitled to be drafted at any point. I mean, that's so painting him as he's being picked on, as if there's some kind of conspiracy. That's laughable, but also like then it turned into it was collusion. I mean, imagine thinking the NFL needs you. The NFL doesn't need a damn person. There's not a single human being throughout any history of the NFL, coach, player, GM, whatever, that the NFL needed to be as successful and as dominant as it is in American sports. So if you show up to the job interview as if they need you, and that's your tone, good luck wanting them to have you join in on their franchise. And I just to me, to me, it's just that simple, That's what it is. And I kind of hate that it became the only I can't remember and this speaks to what I said Thursday before the draft started, because it just kind of I don't know if I don't know if I was able to articulate really what I was feeling, but like, it's it's a gift that that beyond Sanders in his camp, his family has as far as just no matter what, they're gonna be talked about because they just have that, they have that gift. They're very polarizing. People have got strong opinions on the one where the other Dion's's showman, and clearly his kids learned from him, and they they carry themselves as if they've accomplished what he has as a player, which is laughable and really that's his fault. But nonetheless, like it felt like going into the draft, like whatever happens with Shador, He's gonna be the most talked about thing. It's going to be the biggest talking point from the draft. And here we are days later, and I don't remember the last time we had a draft where there was one specific storyline that dominated the entire event like this, So we'll get into it. Also, Tyler Shuck coming off the board in the second round going to the h New Orleans Saints, which I think is a good fit for him. I think it's a it's a decent situation for him, But I was bummed to see that a lot of Saints fans did not like pick, but hey, he can't control that. Also, it was nice to see him and Quincy Riley reunite. The Saints also picked him up Ashton Julyatti coming off the board. I believe it was pretty early in the third round when he got taken by the by the Kansas City Chiefs. So we can react to the draft, and trust me, there's a lot of other things we can get into today. Monday's is one of those days where I really don't know, I really don't know, you know, what to lay out there as far as things you should expect to hear, because Monday's really no different than any other day. But Monday's the day where I really get to the end of the show about five forty five and I'm like, you know what, man, we got like six or seven things I've been mentioning, but we didn't save enough time. So well, and again the draft itself, like how about the prank calls? Like that was like that to me is like low key one of the biggest a hole things you can do. And I don't know if anybody thinks that that's a I mean, if you know, I'm sure you can find people who thought it was funny. But like to me, that's not a prank, like that's that's just like I mean, I guess technically by definition it would be considered a prank, but it's cruel, is what it is. Like, I don't care. And there's not anybody that I've ever disliked as an athlete that I would say, yeah, I hope that happens to them. Also, if you are going to Churchill Downs this week, we've got an updated list on what everything's going to cost you when it comes to drinks, beverages, those of the alcoholic kind. And I just hope you guys have been saving money because it's expensive as you probably could expect.
Speaker 1: So stick with us.
Speaker 2: It's Coffee and Company, Nick Coffee, Austin Montgomery taking you up till six o'clock. We are fueled by Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven.
Speaker 1: Ninety Now back to Coffee and Company. Fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 2: That's right, Coffee and Company on a Monday afternoon. Thanks for hanging out with us. We are fueled by Thornton's. Make sure you guys keep Thornton's in mind for a variety of reasons. But you can also, or or should say, you can always save money at the POMP if you are a member of their Refreshment Awards program. So all you got to do is download the apps, sign up for free, and you save. And if you guys want to join us on the show today, you can do it. Five O two five seven one seventy nine hundred is the number if you want to give us a call, and if you'd like to text in on the llen N Federal Credit Union tex line five O two four three eight ninety seventy three. All right, so, uh, let's just talk about Tyler Shark really quick. I'll start with him being the third quarterback taken, which I kind of felt like that was realistically the ceiling. I think there was some thought that maybe he would end up at number two, but it seemed as if that was going to be tough. However, I actually thought that if he didn't, if he went third and there were two ahead of him, I think we knew cam Ward. But then I mean, I guess It did change a little bit as we got closer to Thursday, but for a while it was the belief that it would be cam Ward should or and then either Jackson Dart or Tyler Shuck. And we all know that didn't exactly play out that way. So, I mean, I I was bombed on Friday night to see the responses underneath the tweet from the New Orleans Saints, because you know, obviously there's you know, every NFL franchise is sharing all kinds of content on social media about there, you know, giving you a behind the scenes look. Right. We saw the video of Tyler getting the call from the brass in New Orleans and letting him know he was going to be a Saint, and uh, you know, you can't control it, right, It's not his fault. But it seems as if the New Orleans Saints fans, a lot of them hate Derek Carr, which, by the way, help me out here, Austin, you're an NFL guy. Derek Carr is one of the seemingly really really nice good dudes in the NFL that, like, no matter who he's played for, the fans seem to hate him. Yeah, it is always he stabvereraged. Yeah, he's average. And you know, I kind of feel for guys like that because Derek Carr don't think he's ever done anything to like make you not like him other than just not be maybe as good as you need him to be. But what happens is that whenever the front office, when they dig their heels knowing fans are frustrated with a certain and coach or a player, and they and they stick their neck out and defend them, I mean, that probably just makes the fans resent that player even more, right, So I guess that's what happened with Derek Carr and with the Raiders and then obviously now with the Saints. And you know he's injured too, he's not. I mean, so you've got I mean, who are who are all the quarterbacks there? Now You've got Carr, Spencer Rattler, it's only two of them shut. And then there's another one too. There's a fourth quarterback that that that like he is in there is in their locker room. And you know, he's like a known I mean, she's not like a it's like a he's not like a former all pro. But it's gonna drive me crazy now, I got to look it up because you know that they have four guys that I guess could technically be there. They could be, you know, a starter there. I mean, it'll probably be Car if healthy, because you know, they went out and got him and they decided to stick with him. I mean, they confirmed right after the season that he was he was going to be their guy next year. But anyway, you know show I guess, more than anything, if there's a positive in this, and I shouldn't speak as if all Saints fans are angry, but they feel like they got another version of Derek Carr, a guy who's always hurt, which you know, Shuck did have injuries, clearly, that's the thing. Maybe he doesn't have a ton of upside because you know, he's pretty good as is. And I guess, you know, maybe they just feel like they've got a different version of Derek Carr, which I don't think that's true, but you know, maybe they're they're maybe it's understandable for them to see it that way, but they seem to have really wanted shad Or Sanders. And look, I'm basing this off of just you know, the most toxic platform out there, Twitter, x so that's where you really go to find the you know, the toxicity that you may at times not even believe exist until you end up, you know, at Twitter. But he could prove him wrong. And he's this is where his maturity and his experience could come in handy, Right, He's not somebody that's going to be young and you know, bothered by I mean, I'm sure he's not going to enjoy knowing that. Maybe there's some bands that are upset that he was the quarterback that they that they picked, because clearly, you take a quarterback in the top forty of the draft, early second round, your plan is for that guy to be your starting quarterback at some point, Like, we don't know if it's gonna work out that way, but the Saints make that investment because that's who they believe is equipped for the job. They hired him to be their quarterback of the future. And I guess, you know, the the entry level, but he you know, I guess training on the job will be you know, while he sits back and I guess waits for his turn. But how about his dog. I'm not even a big dog guy. Yes, it was great, but that was adorable, and I mean I don't know his dog by any means, and I don't have a relationship with a dog that you know he clearly has with his puff. And that's one of them real quick just people because I don't have I don't know what it is about dogs, but like they sense that I'm not like the most friendly person with dogs. And it's not because I don't like dogs. It's not because you know, I'm anti dog. It's just that I've never like when you don't grow up with a pet, you know, the man's best friend, as they say, I just never developed a relationship that a lot of people have had with maybe multiple dogs over their years because they've always had pets. But when I go to somebody's house, there could be thirteen of us showing up. The dog's gonna sniff me out as somebody that might be a little bit uncomfortable around dogs compared to others, and they're just gonna, you know, they're gonna jump on me, not attack me, but you know, almost maybe want to play. And I will be a little bit like not like hey, get away from me. But like I guess I have the quick body language of like uh oh uh oh, like this is is he gonn is he gonna hurt me? So then the owner then they start to feel bad like oh, you know, and and I don't. It's not something I'm It's not intentional, It's just I don't you know. I'm not a big not a big pet guy, didn't have pets growing up, never had a relationship with an animal that, you know, was like my companion. And at times I've been envious of others. But you know, I guess you don't really know what you're missing out because you've never experienced it. But when you can't quite relate to somebody's love for their dog as if, like, you know, it's a family member, you know. I think people sometimes think as if like I'm anti or that I'm judging, you know. I mean, I'm not anti dog at all. But anyways, I just felt like the way his dog celebrated it truly felt like he knew what happened, right, Yeah? Or was it he or she? I think it might have been she? Yes, Yeah, she knew that her you know, uh, that that her owner her? What do you mean? What's what's the proper way to disco mean her paw rents? Okay, there you go? Is that a thing because I like it. Yes, okay, her Paul Rent, one of her paw rents, had just heard his name called in the NFL draft, and that pub had the reaction of like genuine joy and excitement just like everybody else. Oh yeah, no more kibbles and bit It was really really sweet.
Speaker 3: I've seen, fun fact, I've seen Tyler's wife that is his wife, right, he's married, and that dog. There's a dog park bar PG and Jay's right by her house that we go to all the time that our dog is a member of. And uh, it must be like a hot uf L spot because I've seen Tyler up there with that dog before, and and Terrence Edwards Junior and Hadley right Hadley, we're out there with their dogs too, so it's a popular spot and Tyler is Tyler's very well known there, so I'm pretty sure they. I think the Dog Park Bar ended up posting that on their social too.
Speaker 2: It's pretty cool. So I think he's in a good situation because I mean, I don't know enough about their roster top to bottom, meaning the Saints to know like if they're in a decent position to be competitive, but they I mean, who's their franchise player right now. If you had to guess Austin the Saints.
Speaker 3: Probably Chris o'lave is probably like the guy I think they want to take care of most because he is a pretty good receiver. Who's the running back they had that was really good for a little while, Alvin Kamara. I mean he's still he's still there, but he's not the same. He kind of did what a lot of running backs do. They just kind of, you know, they hit that wall.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So put it this way, I think it's safe to say that the Saints for the most part have been a pretty well run organization, right I mean, they're not sure. They're not a laughing stock like a lot of teams that you see in the Super Bowl in the NFL. So you know, I you know, I I think to know that they're going to trust him to kind of you know, again, you draft him that early at that spot, your vision for him is that he's going to be your franchise quarterback for you know, as long as he can be. Once he does, I guess develop enough in their minds to kind of step in and be that guy. So, you know, I hope it works out. You just really never know, but the more I looked at the rest of the I mean, like when it comes to the quarterbacks in this draft, I mean, Chuck might not have been a top two round guy had had the quarterback crop been been better than than, you know, than this one, because you know, that was that was a real It's wild because I think everybody knew that the quarterback group here in this draft was was believed to be subpar compared to previous drafts. But because of the constant machine that is the Dion should or Anders hype machine that just never stops, we knew it, but we didn't really process it. And I think even seeing the rest of the quarterback get drafted, the rest of the quarterbacks get drafted in this group, like it to me seemed even more obvious that, you know, like this wasn't a great group. Which one surprised you the most. I think mine is probably the same as everybody else, but both Milroe and Gabriel going in the third round and they were just two picks apart like that. Again, I think probably the Gabriel one, Yeah, Like I didn't even know he was like for sure gonna be drafted.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And there was that lot of late like last second steam on Millrow, how people were even I saw some people even putting them possibly like the third quarterback taken too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he got a lot of dark. He got a lot of love right as the draft was starting. And it kind of surprised me because after the first round where there was only two quarterbacks taken, it was of course Cam and then Dart you know, leading into Friday, and we talked about it. There was a lot of back and forth between those you know, covering the NFL Draft there on site that it sounds like, you know, Sanders wasn't going to be one of the first guys taken, and then sure enough that clearly played out to be the exact scenario. It ended up being shucked. But there was a lot of Milrow love. And I just again, big physical guy, big arm and you know, talented for sure. I just I never watched him play at Alabama and felt like, wow, Alabama's really good because of him. And now sometimes that's just because you got like you get to be a really good quarterback, but yet you're so loaded everywhere else that maybe the quarterback play doesn't really stand out, because again, if you're really good in every other aspect, you don't need your quarterback to go out there and make difficult throws. You just need him to do the job because you've got pieces that you know to where it's kind of take care of itself. Like sometimes you can be you can be more capable than just being a game manager, but sometimes being a game manager is the way to go because your offense is working efficiently, you don't need to be taking big risks and making difficult throws because again, you just need to So I really thought that Gabriel was again, yeah, Gabriel, because again I'd not heard anything about and I've looked. I didn't look at a mock draft that said Gabriel was somebody that they believe would be, you know, good enough to be sniff in the top five rounds. And I think we definitely learned that Quinn Houver is being drafted in the seventh round like he's going to go down as an example, Like there will be quarterbacks considering their future after college seasons for the next however many years that have to think do I want to be the next camp What do I want to be the next Quin Hovers? Because I mean, I think what happened here is that he knew that, regardless of what he wanted to do, he was not going to be able to come back to Texas and be the quarterback because quite I mean, it was clear they were ready to hand the reins off to Arch Manning. You don't get Arch Manning to come in into your quarterback and have him sit for a third year behind somebody. So you know, that was pretty obvious. But I don't think it would have been a bad look for him to bypass the NFL draft, hit the portal, go make a ton of money, and then you know, have another year where he looks like he's more polished and ready to be a pro. I don't know what it was meaning. I don't know if it was. He just his ego wouldn't let him, you know, he wouldn't let it play out to where the optics were exactly that he's got to leave because he won't be their guy next year, and he just doesn't you know, maybe his pride god in the way, and he won't because again that's how it would have been presented, like if he transferred out of Texas to go elsewhere and play in college. I mean, everybody would have said that you know he lost his gig, which is I guess essentially that's what would have happened. But I mean, I haven't seen the exact number, and I'll pull it up later because I know it's out there now. But sarkisian Texas head coach, he did an interview or I don't know how. I actually don't even know how it came about, but he revealed in some way like what what Hewers made at Texas last year as their quarterback. And again it's not a big surprise because he went in the seventh round over the weekend. He was the quarterback at freaking Texas. But he will take a substantial pay cut in the NFL next year, which is just you know, saying that out loud is kind of crazy, but that's where we are now. If you're a big time player at the college level and your draft status is not believed to be you know, top tier, you will be taking a pay cut moving forward. I mean, that's just that's just where we are, all right, quick break, we'll come back on the other side. We'll talk more NFL Draft throughout the throughout the show that including just there was a clear explanation as to why should or Sanders ended up falling the way he did. And I mean, I'm assuming all Friday night, Thursday night too, I suppose. And then while we waited for him to get taken on Saturday, I mean, I didn't need to hear the insiders kind of share what because here's what happened after he started fall after he started to you know, after the picks kept coming and he was not being taken at that point. I think those who do have really good sources in the NFL, they were then able to obtain more info from people inside organizations that were willing to say, hey, yeah, here's what we did and here's why. And again, like once you hear this, which you probably already have, like, it makes total sense why this played out the way that it did. It's not complex. It's it's not you know, them trying to railroad him. It's not about race. It's just because he handled it the way he handled it. And most importantly, it still doesn't get mentioned a whole lot. He wasn't a top three quarterback in a bad quarterback class. I mean that alone should be a good enough explanation, to be honest with you. All right, quick break, we'll come back on the other side, it's coffee and company. Feel about Thornon's on Sports Talk seven.
Speaker 1: Ninety Now back to coffee and company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 2: We were wrapping up the three o'clock hour here on a Monday after noon getting Derby week started. That is certainly exciting. Just a couple of things I wanted to mention before we get out of here the top of the hour, but again we're coming back for two more hours. I don't go anywhere, but you'veil football this year. I believe it's the first time in program history they have eight home games. There may be a scenario where I'm where it's the second time that's happened, but I know they're definitely promoting that. Hey, if you want to get season tickets, just no, there's eight games that this year, and they're they're either saying, I guess I'm not paying attention to their marketing quite quite as good as others, because they're either saying that it's the first time or it's the second time. But either way, eight home games is awesome and it has led to others taking notice. So others are paying attention despite me not paying close attention because there's now three thousand new season tickets that have been sold, so again three thousand added to what they already have had as it's been growing since Jeff prom came back, So that is, you know, three thousand may not sound like a lot, but again keep in mind, these are three thousand people that did not have season tickets prior that are now that are now getting involved, so that that is certainly good news. So a couple of people have asked me to not talk horse racing at all this week, and you know, I mean, we're not gonna talk about like I mean, have you ever heard me try to talk about horse racing? Like actually, so again you'll probably hear me say this a few times this week. There's a difference in talking about Derby and everything that comes with it than talking about the sport one horse racing. And that's what I always try to tell people is that like how can you market and it's a different thing, not like my analysis, We're not a horse racing city. And what I mean by that is in what this is meaning like you know, sports talk, sports coverage on television, radio, podcast, digital, like we're not exposed to the raw sport of horse racing. Like I think a lot of people think we are we just happened to have Churchill down at Kentucky Derby, I mean out in the state like Lexington. I feel like that's a little bit more sort of like you know, yes, more so just the true sport of it. So again, I'm not knocking it. I'm just telling you that, Like, we don't talk about it in that detail really ever here on this show, and others do and it's probably because they're they're they're able to I'm not. I'm not gonna lie to you or go, you know, go out there and act like I've got the ability to do something that I don't. So again, like talking about everything Derby is not the same thing as talking about horse racing the sport. Now again, the Derby happens to be a race that you know, is a horse race. So you know, that's that's you know, and the reason people are you know, years ago, I just decided to stop faking it. And I don't remember if I had like a passionate ran or what it was, but it did stick out because I remember kind of thinking like I'm just gonna say this because it's me telling the honest truth, and you know, I'll take whatever comes with it. And I was pleasantly surprised that a lot of people said that the worst week in radio in this city is Derby week, because so many people try to act as if they talk horse racing all the time when they don't. And even if you did, it wouldn't be interesting to people because again, the majority of the people that you know can consume stuff like this, meaning this this show, other shows alike. They're not. I mean some are, but like you got to think about your audience, think about the majority of who would listen. So again, we'll have some fun with Derby, but I mean, I won't lie to you and act like I'm gonna develop some ability to really understand the sport whenever you know, I know that I'm not, And even if, like you know, I wanted to, I'm not sure i'd be able to. But those that have, you know. The person who said that then went on to ask is if I have any update on James Scott and where Louisville will to use their last scholarships here. And I don't have any update at all, doesn't mean they're not They're not looking. I mean, still there's clearly plenty of players available.
Speaker 1: In the portal.
Speaker 2: But I think we learned this last year. When you get this late into the process, you know what you've got for sale, you really have to find the right buyer and that may be hard to do. Right. How many people in the portal players are looking for a chance to come be the fourth big for Louisville. How many are looking to be, you know, the backup point guard. And you just have to also accept that you're probably going to play a lot less minutes than a freshman. Like that's just again what you have to sell as far as your role and opportunity. You've got to find the right buyer. And I think that's a little bit more difficult than people may assume. Now again, you may be able to say, okay, well look, yeah, you can go to I don't know, you can go to Toledo or Akron and transfer, or you can come to Louisville, a place that you know, plays in an NBA arena that has a passionate fan base. There's going to be a bunch of games on national television, but they could also make they could also they're probably going to you know, guys who would choose that level of a program are probably going there because they want to play a lot, and you really can't sell that if you're Pat Kelsey. Now again, I'm sure you're telling guys, hey, you're gonna get what you earn. You're gonna you know, you're gonna you're gonna be able to compete, and that's what coaches should say. And to be fair, I think if somebody came in and they were viewed to be somebody that might get in the game as like the human victory cigar, but they come in and they compete and they're really really good. They make the team better. Pakolse is gonna play those guys. It's just you know, this is you know, even if you are like lying to players about like what role they could have, they're not dumb. I mean, they know what they're walking into. They know mckail Brown Junior is one of the best point guards in fact, maybe the best point guard in this freshman class. And that all he's done in the McDonald's game and in the USA Hoops Summit or sorry, the Nike Hoops Summitt like, all he's done is continue to show that he's probably gonna be a pretty special freshman next year in college basketball. So I'm sure they're working, but I think these are the last editions I think that you're gonna get are probably the kind that will pop and you'll not even realize Louisville was in on somebody. I mean, maybe I'm wrong, but I could just see it playing out that way. Now, we'll say when it comes to the guys they've added. I mean, I think one of the reasons why you may have a tougher time adding another guard if you're trying to is because clearly Louisville has, as mentioned, one of the best freshmen in the country coming in at least a guy who's projected to be that. And they also went out and added really good guards that everybody knows is going to have. I mean, these guys are going to play a lot mcneee, Conwell and Wooley. I mean, those guys are good players. And by the way, Evan Mayakawa, one of the college basketball analytics guys that I follow, he shared this earlier Louisville, and I'm reading directly from his tweet. Louisville has acquired more elite shooters in the transfer Portal than any other team, mentioning mcneilie, Conwell and Woolly and goes on to say that they're the only team in the portal to get three transfers and then ninety fifth percentile are better in three point shooting skill grade. So I mean, clearly Pat Kelsey wants to bring in guys that can shoot threes because he wants his team to take a lot of end rhythm threes, and that's his that's what he wants to do, that's his system, and I think he's found three guys that fitted as far as you know. And again, maybe sometimes the shooting doesn't translate, but there's also a scenario where guys end up, you know, shooting in even better percentage than they did at their previous school because they're now playing in a system that is really built to to, you know, make sure those guys get good, clean looks and they knock them down. Now with the James Scott transfer, and again I would assume the more time that passes, the more it's that he's out the door and he's not coming back. He's considering other schools, which again i'd say right now that's most likely, but I don't say that having any info. I just say that because you know, I'm guessing, I'm speculating, like a lot of people would be. So you do have a bigger role to sell. But again, as I said last week, the loss of Jamescott is not a huge deal because you just simply can't replace his production. But think about what you're now having to sell. The role that he did that I think he embraced. I think he really enjoyed it and was good at it. He didn't care if he took a single shot. I didn't think he cared a whole lot about like playing thirty minutes a game. But maybe he did. Maybe that's why he decided to leave. So again, you've got Case and Pryor coming back, You've got Javon Hadley coming back, You've got Sonny Frew coming in. And I just think, you know, that's gonna make it to where the likelihood of getting a big name player in the portal that has a lot of really good options, and he's picking Louisville. I just you know, to me, it seems a little more difficult to envision that happening. But hey, Louisvill's clearly got an I all money and money talks, So we shall see. All right, two hours left, stick around a lot more to get into here as we get Derby Week started Coffee and Company, Philbeth Thorton's on Sports Talks seven to ninety