Speaker 1: We want to die if we want to get in depth around the tennis obviously, but the big question, the tough one.
Speaker 2: How good is bread and butter?
Speaker 3: Very good? Yeah?
Speaker 4: I try and avoid eating it nowadays because empty color is But sometimes it's not empty. Sometimes it's just good and leaving me alone.
Speaker 1: Right, I've been on a tennis court today for ten hours and I've got another two hours to go. Bread and butter is the only thing going to get me through this. It's let me put that in another way. It's the only thing I'm allowed right now to get me through this.
Speaker 4: No, I understand that. And sometimes the cheaper the bread the better, and the whiter the bread the better.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh I need processed just bread and butter.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 2: Anyway, I want to podcast out your sweet little lips.
Speaker 3: Yeah, sir, I finished my watermelon.
Speaker 5: Now, Hello, and welcome to what you're talking about.
Speaker 2: Will Us He's at P sixty something or other and Wimbledon's second rounder, Marcus Willis. I'm just his Maine day Now.
Speaker 1: The podcast designed to let daylight in upon magic the real life of a traveling pro, an honest pro.
Speaker 2: All right. It's not private jets. It's more scoda Ubers.
Speaker 1: But Marcus Willis, you've only gone and put yourself in the second round of a Grand Slam you and shit, did.
Speaker 3: It very naughty as with that.
Speaker 1: Okay, So for those for those who didn't watch the match, and you can because you can select fire the BBC, you can select which cart. Didn't look like you were going to go into a second round of a Grand Slam at some point, did it?
Speaker 3: No, No, it didn't.
Speaker 4: But you know, I've played enough matches to know that, you know, a couple of minutes or a couple of points can change everything, and ultimately that's what happened.
Speaker 3: In the end.
Speaker 4: But you know, you're playing incredible tennis pairs on the other side of the court, multiple Grand Slam champion, former one number one, as close as last year was in the final of the final of t Ring. Not the Crisps are in the tennis one. So yeah, so you blead very very good tennis pair. So it's like sometimes you can play alright and lose, and we are two points away from losing, we're six all in a tiebreak. You know they've set a very good you know, reflect shot off a smash and ended up going to the court and then we win the set, and then you know, then the Mattress live.
Speaker 3: Then I suppose.
Speaker 1: Did you say anything to Dave or was there anything like I'm thinking the end of that first set. Was there any reaction to the score line and the way the match was kind of seemingly going.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we took a toilet break. There's only so much you can say. You just so that's gone.
Speaker 3: From now on, we we.
Speaker 4: Crack on and find the spots on our serve and hang in there and stayed up and just focus on what we can control. But you know, he didn't say too much, so he knows that.
Speaker 3: I know that.
Speaker 4: It's just a case of trying to find a bit better form when you're in that in that scenario.
Speaker 2: What about your own personal performance.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well yeah, I mean I was pretty happy with our play.
Speaker 4: There are a couple of technical things that, you know, positional, positional.
Speaker 3: Things I wasn't happy with.
Speaker 4: I suppose early in the first got picked up a couple of times, just too far back. But in terms of server return, bodying and performance and energy, I thought, you know, I played very well yesterday.
Speaker 1: So the match turns round and I watched from this like in full I watched from the start of the second set onwards. So I'd like to think that really the wind was down to me, because that's when it all turned round. I put my hand on the television, and I think that changed things.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, I can't tell you I was out there, but I did feel, yeah, some sort of weird presence out there, very strange presence out there was.
Speaker 2: That you Yeah, that was yeah weird. You knew that was me? Yeah, And that wasn't even my hand on the tailor. That was something else exactly.
Speaker 4: Well, my shorts went around my ankles and I had to pull them up quickly, so I thought it would be you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, my call in time.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you go, second second set. All of a sudden from my side, returns became a bigger part. Like the return your return games played that they're really caused trouble, but the serving the volume, like can you pinpoint a thing that changed?
Speaker 4: No, I think we just got a bit more consistent, served a bit better, and you know, I think the start of the tibe it really helped us. You know, we got good lead, played a very good first point on their serve. You know, then two first serves with your fall of up and then I say, five to one, got back to six all. But you know, have we not had that lead, it might have got away from us. So yeah, we played our best tennis, I suppose in that at the end of the second set when it really mattered.
Speaker 2: That's it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And you know the break we got with Thirsty Love down with new balls and we just you know, connected three very good points and then he double faulted at thirty forty and then we just you know served pretty well to close that out.
Speaker 3: From three to one.
Speaker 1: And then the third I mean that, as you said, a really a really good pair and.
Speaker 2: You're into a second round. Ye, then what happened?
Speaker 1: So the match finishes, give give an insight into those of us who are never going to play at Wimbledon, I might recall in the park.
Speaker 2: So match finishes.
Speaker 4: Then what it's different for different players, isn't it? Like I mean, if I'm Jokovich, I'm doing something very different. But for me, you know, it was came off, signed a few autographs, straight to the locker room, jump in the shower. There's a media guy there tells us we've got media going to the media up to the restaurant, eat, then went to get physio massage during the England game, and then left probably twenty minutes after.
Speaker 3: That, back back to where I'm staying.
Speaker 4: Booked everything for today, practice time, cars, sort of tickets, accreditations, stuff like that before I left, and then I woke up this morning, had a coffee, went in, had a light lunch, and then straight onto the practice court, straight in the gym, trying to the practice.
Speaker 3: Court, shower change.
Speaker 4: And I got out of there pretty quickly tonight because I mean, I think the schedule has just been released now it's popped off my phone, but you know, yesterday it wasn't released a half nine at night, so I've got to assume I'm playing first on and maybe a mix in the afternoon as.
Speaker 3: Well, because they could do that.
Speaker 4: And my experience last year was, you know, I waited on site to get things done, book transport for the next day, and sometimes you know, at four o'clock they say, yeah, we're not too far away, and then it's eight thirty at night you're still there.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I'm out there now. I've got to yeah.
Speaker 4: Check the order of play in a second book everything for tomorrow, and then you get some food and probably get any night.
Speaker 2: So you're playing the mixed.
Speaker 1: Yeah as well, when when did that decision come about?
Speaker 4: Out a while ago we knew you were going to end up then yeah, we knew you get ended, but you don't know if you know, for whatever reason, the wildcards close. The entry closed Wednesday morning, yesterday morning, so the drawer came out there we were as we've got a work card. So I don't want to say I'm playing with you know, head of Watson, and if we don't get a warcard, you look quite silly. So yeah, obviously I'm busy playing a match and busy doing other stuff. So it's not you know, I'm in the middle of a double tour as West. It's not something else advertised or spoken about yet. But yeah, I'm playing with Heather against seeing Selinsky. I think they've won Winded and a couple of times a few slams together, so be tough.
Speaker 3: It will be fun. I don't know what I'm playing. Might be tomorrow, might be Saturday.
Speaker 2: Do you want to know because I can see it.
Speaker 3: No, I don't want to know.
Speaker 2: You're gonna yacker pull me, You're gonna pull.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, all right, you're actually playing on two courts at once time.
Speaker 3: That's what I thought.
Speaker 1: What you're going to do is it's called the Missus doubt Fire tactic. You have to drag up, pretend you're going to the toilet, go and play one game and come back.
Speaker 2: Like in the film Missus down Fire.
Speaker 1: You have to play two roles at the same time, switching courts ensue hilarity.
Speaker 3: That'd be fun. Just put a pause on one court and send something down on the other.
Speaker 4: Yeah, one match could be doing really well, one could be going really badly, so it's not all bad.
Speaker 2: That's where the funniness comes in. So it is done.
Speaker 1: The schedule is out, okay, so you can look as soon as you've finished this, lovely. I can't believe you don't want me to tell you. Okay, tell us about your opponents next.
Speaker 3: Round as the one queens.
Speaker 2: It's just grand slams and isn't it man?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a rough draw.
Speaker 4: You played Joe Slisery first round with a good partner, and then you play the guys that have just you know, one queen's they haven't dropped a set on grass yet, are very good. Yeah, and we're going to speak to the coaches kind of tonight tomorrow and come up with some thoughts. I wouldn't go as far as saying a plan because, as I say, they're pretty good. You can just they can work out. If yourself to their foeid or back out enough, they'll work out is coming. So come up with a rough plan bit and then yeah, get up tomorrow and go for it.
Speaker 1: I mean we're talking like incredibly experienced tennis players, but it's a lefty and a righty again, like to match you two as well.
Speaker 2: So like.
Speaker 1: When you say you're going to come up with the planets you said before, they can hit thirty three percent in each third of the box and they can do it at.
Speaker 2: Times they want.
Speaker 1: So is this more about kind of you controlling your controls and just making sure that your bits are.
Speaker 4: Right, absolutely as right as they can be. Whatever's in our control we'll try and implement. But that's why the coaches are the match as well, because they can give us some input as we're walking around.
Speaker 3: So yeah, it's not like it's not a sit down our chat about if we do this we'll win, if we do this, we'll lose. It's just how do we want to approach this.
Speaker 1: On a quick one and just before we go, because it is a touch in tonight, just a little touch and Marcus will his touch and I went, yes, I will tell me about give us an example again, just peeking in behind the curtain. What does your coach say to you? Can you remember a sentence words or anything like that when you're maybe looking like you're not going to get through.
Speaker 3: They can really say.
Speaker 4: To make you win a match, there might be a path and in terms of messing my back out return a few times and there might be a reason for that in terms of body.
Speaker 3: So they'll give you pointers in terms of you know.
Speaker 1: So they are giving you some like little technical stuff, yeah, if we need them, or is it more like trying try and serve down the town.
Speaker 3: They don't say that stuff.
Speaker 4: It's it's you know, we're not I feel like we're smart enough to work that kind of stuff out.
Speaker 3: You know, if we keep serving a tea and they.
Speaker 4: Keep hitting winners and we keep doing it, which probably shouldn't be probably deserved to lose. Okay, if you're doing something and you're lose, if you're losing for that reason, probably probably try something.
Speaker 1: Else now I find out, Okay, so tonight sleep you're going to find out which court you're on, which order you were on for tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Have you practiced a tour with Heather.
Speaker 3: No, because she's got her women's doubles. I've had my men's doubles.
Speaker 4: She's playing now, I think, so you won't be practicing with practice before the match like whatever, hit chat, But no one's practicing mix right now. That's still in the men's, men's and women's respectively. It's four times a year, so you.
Speaker 3: Don't really.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, what can you do? Yeah, well, it's a great, great little touch in podcast. Thanks mate.
Speaker 2: Oh you probably don't know this. It's actually ten years since you played Roger.
Speaker 3: Thanks for telling me. I hadn't figured that out.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Oh, and also remember the old house I used to live in, there was a next door neighbor, but one I'm passed in your number and said you'll sort out some tickets and stuff like that.
Speaker 3: Anyone who wants to know. I've got hundreds of them actually, just yelling out of my back right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Dave your address as well, sod just knock stating the door maybe midnight between midnight and four.
Speaker 4: If you knock on the door, like tickets might just fly out anyway, right good tonight.
Speaker 3: They're in a big huddle and just handing them out to people to them.
Speaker 1: I can't wait to speak to you after the next match, mate, go and tennis, your little butt off.
Speaker 2: Tennis. Best of luck.
Speaker 4: Victor baronco on troumpone, Sergeant Major Craig Frederick on the trumpets and the composition.
Speaker 2: The Army Blues
Speaker 4: Looked back down.