Speaker 1: It's nice eyes.
Speaker 2: Undoing Boston's news radio.
Speaker 3: So we're going to continue to talk about the arrest of Luigi Menngioni. He has not yet been formally charged with the murder of Brian Thompson. That will happen, I assume shortly once he is brought back to New York from the state of Pennsylvania. He is facing charges in the state of Pennsylvania dealing with false ideas lying to police. But he's being held without bail, so he's not going anywhere. His life, for all intents and purposes, is over. I mean, you talk about a case that is a solid case, that is it now if you want to look at the other side of the coin, and a pretty weak case also dealing with a murder with a homicide, I should say. In New York, Daniel Penny, former marine, was acquitted in the death of Jordan Neely on that subway confrontation a year and a half ago. It was on May first, twenty twenty three when Neely, who is described as a Michael Jackson impersonator. By the way, I guess the gentleman did some sort of street dances Michael Jatt, but not like he's some professional impersonator. I mean he was a homeless person who had all sorts of mental health issues, maybe compounded by a use of substances drugs, gets on a subway car and threatens people, and this ex marine who was twenty four years old at the time, Daniel Penny, gets up and puts him in a brings him to the ground, puts him in a chokehold, and they struggle for a while as the train continues on people trying to get off the train. Alvin Bragg, who was the district attorney in Manhattan, who is not what you call a lauren on a district attorney, made an exception in this case and wanted to make an example of Daniel Penny, and he backfired. The judge, upon a motion of the defense on Friday, dismissed the more serious charge of murder in the second degree. I believe that was the charge. And then today the jury came back they had they had been hung up on the more serious charge. Today he was acquitted of what is in effect in New York criminally negligent homicide, which would be sort of a manslaughter conviction here. So there was the ugly demonstrations outside the courtroom side the court house, I actually say. But the demonstrations were pretty loud, and there of course was reaction when it was over. When it was over, this is the the lawyer for.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 3: This is this is Daniel penny Cut, number twenty two raw, giving an account of how the incident transpired. This is a little over a minute, but this is this is penny Cut twenty two.
Speaker 4: The village in Manhattan. So I take the subway multiple times a day. In this instance, I was coming from school. I got out of class around two fifteen, and I took the I was at j Street metro Tech, took the uptown F train. At Second Avenue. A man came on, stumbled on. He appeared to be on drugs. The doors closed and he ripped his jacket off and violent and threw it at the people sitting down to my left. I was listening to music at the time and he was yelling, so I took my headphones out to hear what he was yelling. And the three main threats that he repeated over and over was I'm gonna kill you, I'm prepared to go to jail for life, and I'm willing to die. You know, this is a This was a scary situation, and mister really came on. He was he was threatening. He's I'm six too, and he was taller than me. So it was And there's a common misconception that Marines don't get scared. We're actually taught one of our core values is courage, and courage is not the absence of fear, but how you handle fear. And you know, I was scared for myself, but I looked around. I saw women and children.
Speaker 3: He was yelling in.
Speaker 4: Their faces, saying, saying these threats. I couldn't just sit still.
Speaker 3: He went on and continued. I'm saying that the whole incident took about five minutes cut twenty two a roup.
Speaker 4: Some people say that I was holding on to mister really for fifteen This is not true. I mean between stops is only a couple of minutes, so the whole interaction less less and less than five minutes. Some people say I was trying to choke him to death, which is also not true. I was trying to restrain him. You could see in the video there's a clear rise and fall of his chest indicating that he's breathing. I'm trying to restrain him from him being able to carry out the threats. And then some people say that this was about race, which is absolutely ridiculous. I didn't see a black man threatening passengers. I saw a man threatening passengers. It's a lot of whom were people of color. The men who helped restrained mister Neely was a person of color. And then a few days after the incident, I read in the papers that a woman of color came out and called me a hero.
Speaker 5: What.
Speaker 4: I don't believe that I'm a hero, but she was one of those people that I was trying to protect.
Speaker 3: So this is the the Daniel Perry comment. Then one final comment from him, and I believe this is cut twenty two B. Please Rob. We were all scared.
Speaker 4: Mister Neely was yelling in these passengers' faces, and they looked terrified. The reason why there was no video at the start of the altercation was because people were too afraid getting away from him and didn't The videos didn't start until they saw that situation was under control. I knew I had to act, and I acted in a way that would protect the other passengers, protect myself, and protect mister Neely. I used this hole to restrain him, and I did this by leaving my hand on top of his head to control his body. You could see in the video there's a clear rise and fall of his chest indicating that he was still breathing. And I'm calibrating my grip based on the force that he's exerting. And I just I mean, I was trying to keep him on the ground until the police came. I was praying that the police would come and take this situation, take this situation. I didn't want to be put in that situation, but I couldn't just sit still and let him carry out these threats.
Speaker 3: To me, listening to him, it sounds like a reasonable story. Now. The lawyer for Jordan Neely's family was outside of quote after the verdict, issuing, but he calls a call to action. Cup twenty Dante Mils.
Speaker 5: We have a call to action because you have to do something with this anger and with this rage. Our call to action is to take care of each other. We can't rely on outside people. If we see someone asking for food, we have to take the responsibility to give it to him. If we see someone cold, to give them a cold. If we see something someone going through something to act them if they're okay, right on. That's how we help each other, because we can't rely on the system to do it for us. And clearly, if we get to this point, it's too late. We have to be there for each other. And that's our call to action. Everybody that's pissed off at this verdict, I challenge you to go outside today and help one person right on. That's my challenge.
Speaker 3: Well, there were other statements that were a little more provocative, understandably, so I guess this is Jordan Neely's dad under a Zachary. I do nothing about the Neely family, but his son obviously was a person who was dealing with some serious issues, and I can understand how he feels, but I disagree with his conclusion Cut twenty one.
Speaker 6: I just want to say I missed my son. My son didn't have to go through this. I didn't have to go through this either. It hurts, really really hurts. What are we going to do?
Speaker 3: People? What's gonna happen to us?
Speaker 7: Now?
Speaker 8: I had enough of This system is rigged? Come on, people, the system is rigged. Alvin braggs the prosecutor in this case. Lettissa James is the attorney general. Of New York in this case, she did not have jurisdiction of the case. But I don't understand that belief. Now, last sound bit, and then we'll take a quick break and go to phone calls. Daniel Penny and his lawyers celebrated his acquittal understandably slow so because it's been a year and a half and this is this is a snippet of this celebration today. I guess it was around noontime. Cut number twenty three is that they're at the bar.
Speaker 3: Hey, how are you failing?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 9: Great, Yeah, it's fairly good.
Speaker 3: It's fairly good.
Speaker 10: It's so good.
Speaker 3: What's up? We're cut together? How's it going? How's it feel? Its great?
Speaker 9: He's finally got the justice he's deserved.
Speaker 3: Well, did you think it was going to happen?
Speaker 1: Sorry?
Speaker 9: Uh no, we think that this is uh should have happened, probably on day one. But the point thing is it happened, so we can't control the timing of it, but you can certainly savor the outcome.
Speaker 3: I think some might see this as a George Floyd case. I do not see it that way. I'd love to know what your reaction is. Six A nine three one thirty. We can talk about this case, the Daniel Petty case, or we can talk about now the Luigi Mangione case. One man is acquitted, walk free and we'll walk free.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 3: The other arrested in Altoona, Pennsylvania. We'll probably see another day of freedom for his entire life. Two lives impacted in New York City. I think that both of them were unnecessary. But I think justice was done for Daniel Penny, and I hope justice will be done for Luigi MANGIONI. We'll be back on night Side. That's get some phone calls right after this.
Speaker 2: Now back to Dan ray Line from the Window World Nightside Studios on w b Z News Radio.
Speaker 3: It's go to call. It's gonna go to Robert in Wellesley. Robert appreciate you calling in. How are you tonight, sir? Oh?
Speaker 11: Pretty good?
Speaker 1: Dan?
Speaker 11: Really a loaded topic topic you have the saving.
Speaker 3: Well, it's an interesting topic because there's kind of two sides of the same coin. I mean, in the one hand, you have a guy who clearly fires a guy in his back, I mean, cold blooded murder. And then in this other situation that this guy who decides to act. Let's assume I mean, you're on the subway and this happens. What do you just sit there and let somebody you know attack someone else. I mean, it's this guy's an ex marine, he's twenty four years old. Yeah, he's in physical condition to take control of the situation and the ends up facing facing a homicide trial.
Speaker 1: Yes, I agree here, And.
Speaker 11: I'm curious about your opinion as a as an attorney for in future instances, could you suggest a useful procedure to go through to make a citizens arrest, because that's I think that the ex marine had good qualifications by had good credentials as being a marine, because as you know, the Navy automatically uses marines as part of its security force, and he did use the wrestling hold as opposed to a strike. I'm just wondering if you have an opinion as to what could have been done to make it clearer that I think he was effectively was making a citizen's arrest. Would you agree with that?
Speaker 3: Well, he was. I don't know if he was making a citizens arrest. I think he was trying to prevent a bad situation from getting into a horrific situation there. Apparently he was a mother there with a baby stroll or a typical you know, New York subway riders. And it's easy for people who have never rode on a subway system to think, well, you know, you have to put up with that stuff if you're on a subway system. It's funny. I you know, as kids, I remember watching Don k Notts or whatever, you know, and Andy Griffin and citizens arrest and stuff like that. I don't even know what a citizens arrest means. I mean, I think that he was basically trying to stabilize the situation. Uh so that people on that you know, you're you're you're you're trapped, You're you're a subway car. You have nowhere to go. You know, you maybe just hoping to get to the next stop and get off. But this guy gets on and he's really invective at a lot of people, and he's telling him I'm ready to die, and I'm ready to go to prison for life. I'm going to kill you. I mean, what else does he have to do to to get someone's attention. You know, we all could be in that situation. I can't I commend Petty for doing what he did. To be honest with you, and maybe people were going to say, well, it's it's horrible that, uh, that that mister Neely lost his life. It is horrible, But this is not the same situation as that Derek Chouvin George Floyd situation in Minneapolis, which people have tried to make it out to be. He was acting sa as a citizen, trying to protect others who were probably more vulnerable than he. I'm sure if it was a straight out fight, he could have dealt with Neely in whatever way he needed to, because Deelis Neely is under the influence of something. But again, everybody tries to politicize Alvin Bragg the prosecutor. You know, I can't wait till New York voters turn him out of office. I mean, he's he's he He wanted to prosecute the little guy at the bodego who defended himself and killed killed a robber. It's like he wants to defend the guilty and prosecute the innocent. That that's his that's his practice as a district attorney.
Speaker 11: I think I wonder, well, yeah, thank you for your opinion. And I also wonder if before putting the chokehold on if he could have. He might have had the training to do what something I can't think of a charm, something like an intercession or intervention. And then if the if, if, if the aggressor had made the mistake of winding a blow which the marine could easily have defended, then that would wouldn't that be a matter of assault and battery and they could have acted on that procedure. What would your opinion be on that?
Speaker 3: Well, you have a right to defend yourself, but you also have a right to defend others. I mean, if if somebody you know is walking down the street. There's the old story, you know that this kind of a little bit of a joke that said, well, well I was I was watching and there were eight guys, young guys, pretty tough guys, who were beating up a couple of nuns, and the police guys says, well, why do you do something? He said, Well, I didn't know who started the fight, you know. I mean he did intuitively, which I think most people who physically had the capacity to do that would have done it. I mean maybe he could have tried to reason with the guy, but maybe he felt that this guy I was so whacked out he couldn't reason with him, and maybe he figured the easiest thing to do is to take him down, immobilize him, and wait for the train to get to the next station. I'm not going to second guess him and that set of circumstances. I listened to him, you heard his sound bites. He sounded to me to be a pretty rational guy. I don't think he got on that train looking to end up being indicted for in a homicide case. He was trying to do the right thing. And what did they say, no good de goos unpunished.
Speaker 11: Yes, of course.
Speaker 3: It should be the case. We live in a society now where we're told, well, don't do this, don't do that. You know there, you know there were times when all of a sudden, you're presented with a situation where you got to do something to help someone, and you know, if you're going to sit there and be quiet. I know I'm no hero, but I once used the Heimich maneuver on a guy who was choking in a restaurant. This is go this forty years ago, uh, And it took me three tries with the Heimach maneuver to get the guy to pop out the piece of chicken that was that had had occluded his his windpipe, and nobody else in that restaurant moved. As a matter of fact, the moment the guy got up and started to hold his throat and you could tell he couldn't make a noise, the place went deadly silent. Now I could have sat there and said, I'm not getting involved in this. I don't know the guy. That's not what you're supposed to do as a human being, in my opinion, but hey, call me crazy.
Speaker 11: Good case in point, I.
Speaker 3: Wish if I had been on that subway train, I wish I would have had the same courage and capacity that that that Daniel Penny had.
Speaker 11: I hope his attorney, his defense attorney or draw out the fact it appears that he was placing himself between the aggressor and the other people that were on the on the train.
Speaker 3: No question, because once he takes the guy down offense, well, once he takes the guy down, the guy's attention and he doesn't know if the guy hasn't knie, if he doesn't know that whatever, you know, he puts himself in some foam of in some potential danger there. I'm sure he was watching the guy's hands and where they were and all of that. But I think the guy was a hero, simple as that. And if you did, if they disagreed, feel free to bring it on.
Speaker 11: Thank you, Robert, Thank you for you, thank you, bye bye, you much.
Speaker 3: All right, take quick break here. Uh, let's light these lines up. This is too good a topic to let it go to waste. Folks have some courage, uh. He Daniel Penny had the backbone to act. You should have the courage to call. And if you disagree with me and want to tell me that that that that that that Penny Uh should have just sat there and shut up and allowed this guy to do whatever he wanted to do and scare the hell out of people. That's fine too. Love there you make that argument back on Night's Side, right after the news at the bottom of the hour, It's.
Speaker 2: Night Side, Foston's News Radio.
Speaker 3: All of a sudden, we have full line. So let's go to Mike and Beverly first. Mike next on Nightside. Gotta be quick for me. Mike and I got a bunch of callers tonight.
Speaker 10: Go ahead, Mike, good Indian, how I am gonna get Dan Perry Perry case grows you know that's she never been brought before. Actually I find you know, he was definitely innocent. And then we took Alvin Bryant ten days I believe to finally uh go after uh after I'm from political pressure on the outside, that meaning why he did that, you know, and that way.
Speaker 3: We got a bad connection. Here, Mike, are you breathing into the phone or is there someone standing next to you breathing into the phone?
Speaker 10: No, I'm on, uh, I'm in my mike here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know. It was just I was hearing like some heavy breathing there. Yeah. The guy's name is Daniel Kenny. Yeah, and I agree with you. It was very much a political prosecution. It took ten days for Alvin Bragg to get really interested in the case. But that's that's Alvin Bragg's style. He doesn't look at issues from a legal point of view, from a prosecutorial point of view. He looks upon these these situations in the context of politics, and sadly, he looks at it, I think from a racial point of view, which is what every bad prosecutor the history of this country has done. Back in the day of the of the South, the white prosecutors used to prosecute black men for crimes. They would not prosecute white men, for they looked at it from a racist point of view. And Alvin Bragg is the is the successor, the philosophical successor to the to the racist prosecutors of the Deep South of the early twentieth century.
Speaker 10: The guy was alive when the police showed up, so he didn't kill him. You know, the guy was alive, he was on and now yeah.
Speaker 3: Well again, we know how the case came out. So it came out.
Speaker 1: At the end of the day.
Speaker 3: He got he got the acquittal. But it's time for people in New York to say, hey, look, we want prosecutors who will treat everybody equally before the law, and we're not gonna go after some guy because he happens to be white or black, depending upon the bias of the prosecutor.
Speaker 10: Just I just don't know why they get to pull the race guard with this situation, because there's a nott and do with the race guard, you know, and why I have to go that way, because I've had that done on myself. But I'm going to do it now and then so all.
Speaker 3: Right, thanks Mike, appreciate your call.
Speaker 10: Thanks, good night, good night.
Speaker 3: Let me go to Geene and met for Gene next on nights. I go right ahead, Okay, let's put Gina on hold. We'll come back to Gene and she's ready. Everybody's got problems with their phone lines tonight. Don't get this. Pete is in New York. Pete, how are you, sir?
Speaker 1: Good? Damn?
Speaker 3: How are you good? Let's get the New York perspective in here, Pete Grette.
Speaker 1: Right, let me tell you we have a serious problem in New York. We have a progressive, liberal city council. We have a progressive creep like this Alvin Berg. And he's a Harvard graduate. Believe that now. But there's a very serious.
Speaker 3: The guy, the guy arrested in by the way, look, look, let me just say this. The guy arrested in Pennsylvania today is a University of Pennsylvania graduate. I know. I mean, anyway, not everybody who goes to Harvard or goes to penn turns out to be, you know, a great person. Absolutely, the unibomber Kazinski was a Harvard graduate. Yeah, okay, yeah.
Speaker 1: So I'm eighty six. Now, if I were twenty years younger, I would I would have a vigilante committee in New York. The cops aren't allowed to do anything, or told me that they don't pick the homeless up. They don't pick the mental up because they take them to Bellevue. And Congress sets medicaid so it only can take hey for three days. You can't keep a mental patient in hospital for three days. The well, you keep it for.
Speaker 3: Three days, you're not going to have much more success. But no, you're right, you're absolutely right. But it's not time for vigilantes. You know what it's time for is that for the people of New York to start to turn out of office the people who should have never been elected in the first place. It's as simple as that. And it's going to be done in other cities as well. It's got to be done in Chicago, it's going to be done in Boston. We have a city councilor up here. Who is the first. She came here illegally, I believe, as a child, no fault of hers, and she uh somehow has been legalized. She became the first member of the Boston City Council to have come from I believe it was a West African country. I'm not exactly sure. She's just been indicted by the FEDS for bathing bonuses bonuses to her staff and getting a kick. I mean, you know, I don't know it would seem to be that. I guess it's people, and it's I guess it's people of all backgrounds. But but it just mean that if you're the first of something, you know, you know, if you're Jackie Robinson the baseball player, you know, you knew that you had to set a standard that other that would be impeccable that he did. I just look at this now. I don't know, you know, she she enjoys the presumption of innocence. She's been on my show. I'm not particularly a big fan of hers. At the same time, I think to myself, it's time for her to resign. How could she effectively represent her constituent while she has a federal indictment hanging over her head. But she's not going to resign.
Speaker 1: You know, we need to get people to get involved.
Speaker 3: If I make look look, people will all the media was surprised by the Donald Trump victory, and I don't know how good a president he's going to be. I know that he had big problems in his first term, and I think he made some pretty poor judgments. At the same time, he's the president. He starts with a clean slate. Let's if he does well, I'll commend him. Does badly, I'll criticize him.
Speaker 1: I'm with you. I'm praying that he can do some good.
Speaker 3: I would hope every president would do good, because guess what, you and I only have one president right now. His name is Joe Biden, whether you voted for him or not. And on January twentieth, afternoon time, his name would be Donald Trump. And I know that there are people who who are going to try to frustrate him at every turn. I thought he's had Look the fact that this guy in Syria is out of the way Israel hit a bunch of ISIS encampments that have been alloted to set up in Syria. Things takes could be breaking in the right direction. Maybe Putin's finally tied of Ukraine. Maybe we can settle that war down. I mean, there is a lot that could be done here, you know, in my opinion, So.
Speaker 1: Did you hear that we have a base in Syria?
Speaker 3: Yes we do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was shocked, but.
Speaker 3: Yes we do. We kind of fact I think that three of the of the US soldiers who were killed by the Iranian missile last spring was at a base. It's just inside the border of Syria. I think it's on the Syria Iraq border, if I'm not mistaken. So yeah, yeah. I have a good friend of mine who was a US guard at the US embassy in Damascus earlier this century, you know, fifteen, fifteen years ten or fifteen years ago. You know, that's that's all. He's a marine and he that was a tough spot to be in to guard our embassy in Damascus. Big go, lets you run, thanks for calling and call more off, and you sound great about you.
Speaker 1: I will. I feel better, all right, Daniel Henry. There were more black people on the train than white people.
Speaker 3: They usually is, yeah, yeah, so that's yeah. He was not. He was not you know, defending you knows, with the white Aryan brotherhood. Now, he was defending poor people who were now being you know, we don't know how to deal with mental illness, which is which is sad. But this guy gets on the train and he starts threatening people. I'm ready to die. I'm ready to kill everybody. I'm willing to go to prison for life. That's pretty serious. That'll shake you up. That's not like, hey, how about those Yankees? They lost Soto and now the Mets have Soto. I mean, that's not some guys starting the conversation on the train, which you might want to ignore, but you know, I mean you look at it. I said, yeah, too bad for the Yankees. Man, you're a Mets fan, good for you. But but this guy's coming on. I'm going to kill people. I'm ready to die. I'm ready to go to prison for life, take people that they weren't thanks, thanks, beat and.
Speaker 1: Heard his father. Oh yeah, that father the courthouse. His father's a hustler. He didn't take care of his kid.
Speaker 3: I think, yeah, I would tend to agree with that, knowing, not knowing the inner workings of that family, I'd be interesting. Wasn't about it, but he was calling it wasn't was calling for vigilantes today. So we don't need vigilantes. We need Laura, we need law enforcement. That is fair. Hey, I got to run, Pete. There's always be well, talk to you soon. Good night, Shelton in Westwood, Shelton. Next time nights.
Speaker 7: I welcome, Hey Dan, thank you. Interesting copt huh oh, my pleasure. I don't call often, but uh, I just had the time and thought I chime in on this one. It's unfortunately both of those situations obviously lots of life on both. In both cases, uh the common denominator and one guy touched on it, you just did as well. Mental illness. I think both of those cases rik of mental illness. Mangione, you know, well educated, family's well to do apparently, but something went, something went haywire somewhere. I'm imagining that's what it seems like.
Speaker 3: I suspect you, right, I suspect you.
Speaker 7: Unless unless someone put him up to it. I have no idea.
Speaker 10: We don't know.
Speaker 7: We'll find out, I'm sure, and that.
Speaker 3: That might mitigate his judgment, you know, if and when he gets to the to the pearly gates of heaven. But I don't think it's going to mitigate. But but they how he should be treated.
Speaker 7: For the rest of his life not gonna help much. But and also the other case, to forget all the political stuff about whether the guy you know, I have a special I have a uh an adult autistic son. He's high functioning, but you know he'll he's not you know he's never going to be fully independent, and it always frightens me. He's almost forty now, you know that I would get a call one day that uh, you know, he's been accused of something, and and because not that he would be accused of anything, but but that he would have been harmed. I think we need more training for people who law enforcement, particularly and we know there's been some focus on that. There was a killing in Boston a while back where the cops killed this especially in these kids, young man, and.
Speaker 3: If I'm not mistaken.
Speaker 7: Well there was one in the South End as well, but it probably has more than once, right anyway, Anyway, perhaps the guy on the subway, if he had some sort of training other than you know, uh, joke holds or wrestling someone like de escalation and situations. Often those people just need, you know, they say anything off the top of their minds. I don't know how you know much impact any drugs may have had on the on the guy who was you know, who was choked. But you know, sometimes if he didn't touch it, did he did he physically harm anyone? People get on the train and rant all the time. Come on, I used to ride the Redline back and forth the work of the Boston every day, and I saw all kinds of people on the train. Used to be a guy that had an aluminum goll cap on every day riding on the train.
Speaker 3: But I but let's assume let's assume that you're on the train. Let's assume you're on the train and there's other people on the train. And let's assume you're a twenty four year old ex marine. Okay, I don't know how old you are now, but you said you had a forty year old son, so I assume but three times that, right, yeah, right, exactly, yeah. And let's assume someone gets on and apparently takes his jacket off, frozen at some people and tells him today's the day he's going to die, and they're going to die, and he doesn't worry about dying or going to you. He's going to kill people. Now, you could sit there and you could say, you know, maybe he's just you know, he's having a bad day, or you could take action. I think in most cases like that, someone sometimes has to take control of the situation. I think that's all Daniel Penny did.
Speaker 1: Exactly.
Speaker 7: Yes, he and he could only he could only he could only utilize the skills that he had. Right he didn't Maybe he didn't have uh training to de escalate situations with would have been great.
Speaker 3: If there was a social work on there that could have said said to mister Neely, now do you really mean that you want to kill someone and we're just enjoying a little train ride here?
Speaker 7: Wow, I don't think I don't think that would be conven or why I don't I don't think. I don't think he has been Well, you know, some time you can say, hey, hey, buddy, Hey, what's going on?
Speaker 1: Man?
Speaker 7: Look, come here, let's talk. Let's you know your joke Shelton.
Speaker 3: The next time we're on a train. But next time you and I are on a train together and something like this happens in front of us, I'm going to invite you to start the conversation and I'll be there and back you walk, Okay.
Speaker 7: If I never if I never ride the subway again, it'll be to the anyway with you. You have a great nights. Thank you for taking my call. God bless you have a wonderful Christmas and happy Year.
Speaker 3: You have a great Christmas if you celebrate Christmas and I and also best of luck with your son. Please say hi to them for us.
Speaker 7: Okay, thank you very much. Do you have a great night?
Speaker 3: Now, talk to you. So we'll take a break, coming right back on Nightside.
Speaker 2: Now back to Dan Ray live from the Window World Nightside Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 3: Back to the phone we go. Let's go back to see Jean. See if she is off the speakerphone. Jean, welcome back. How are you.
Speaker 12: I'm good? How are you?
Speaker 3: We tried to get you before. My suspicion is you might have been across the room in the speakerphone listening on the speakerphone.
Speaker 12: I was walking through the door as I just left MGM on landsdown Street. Maybe right next deal, We're.
Speaker 3: Not as down street. That's okay. So what's your take on either of both of these cases?
Speaker 1: Go right ahead, so you're gonna laugh.
Speaker 12: But I called you last week and I told you what my thought was about this Tangione person. I said to you, I said, I felt that he did what he did because a significant other was refused some type of medical care. We don't know yet really what the whole deal is, but it's looking more and more like that's uh, you know, a strong possibility.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't think you were the only person who speculated on that. Clearly he went after the guy from United Healthcare, maybe because he felt someone within his family was wrong. The problem is this, I mean, let's assume, you know, he killed this guy in cold blood, shot him in the back. He's a coward. Then he fled. What do you do with him now? In other words, knowing that, let's assume that he had that his I don't know his grandmother or his mother was denied a drug that was potential. I don't know, we picked the worst case scenario. How do you adjust You're not in any way, shape or form, I.
Speaker 7: Know, justin correct, absolutely not.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, but you know what if you're on the jury, how long do you keep this guy away for? By the way, tonight, the Globe is now reporting that he has been uh, he has been charged with murder, says. Authorities arrested a suspect and charge him with murder Monday. So he's already been charged now with murder. So this is I thought they might bring him back to New York last late Monday, Matt Manhattan prosecutors filed murder and other charges against men. And you're only according to an online courte so that's their source on that. So how long should he spend in jail?
Speaker 12: I don't even know if Jill's really the answer. I mean, if the guy's got serious mental illness, then what do you do?
Speaker 3: How long should he be? Should he be should he go into some sort of treatment center. I don't think the guy ever sees the light of day, is what I'm saying.
Speaker 12: I think the rest of his life, yeah, absolutely.
Speaker 3: I mean, you know, you could say, well, forty years from now, somehow they rehabilitate him. Look at John Hinckley, who shot Ronald Reagan in nineteen eighty one in Washington, DC, eventually was paroled from his life sentence.
Speaker 1: I mean, I don't think he was no weird gilitation for this.
Speaker 3: The problem with this guy is if he had if he had shot the guy in the leg and and and maybe they found him to be insane, you know, he would have faced assault and battery charges. But when you take someone's life fifty years, a gentleman who's fifty years of age, leaves a widow and two kids, I don't think anything short of life sentence if there was a death penalty, which is not available in New York. That's the only other option. All right, gee, what are you doing. You're making dinner as I'm talking to you.
Speaker 12: No, no, I'm just walking home, just getting getting in the house, trying to get my legs out.
Speaker 3: All right, well, you got a busy agendas. A'll let you run. Thanks, Gane. Appreciate your call. Thank you. Yeah, good night. Let me go to Bill in New Jersey. Bill in Jersey, your next Bill.
Speaker 13: Gorett ahead, thank you, Dan, I thank you for taking my call. I appreciate your show. You have common sense.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 13: The problem I'm in Jersey. A lot of people here commute to New York. Okay. The problem is mister Bragg releases repeat dangerous offenders, criminals without bail, and most of them go on, not surprisingly, to victimize more innocent people because they are what they are. And you mentioned President Trump something interesting. Well, he obviously doesn't believe in releasing criminals without bail. I'd like to make one point, thank you. You take just think of this the worst communist country in the world. Okay, North Korea, you name whatever, I'll take.
Speaker 3: I don't North Korea might qualify for that, Go ahead.
Speaker 13: Thank you. They do not do two things. That Number one, they don't release dangers risk criminals to which go on who go on to victimize more innocent people. They don't do that. And they don't confuse their school children as to what gender they are, like elementary school children or junior high Okay, just it's just food for thought. But it's called comments.
Speaker 3: There's no suggestion. And that's related to this. I mean this is this is a kid who was born with the proverbial silver spoone in his mouth. Didn't appreciate who are we talking about, MANNGIONI Oh, no, no.
Speaker 13: I was referring to the situation of the the subway marine who helped out people were scared.
Speaker 3: And no, no, no, Well I think the submame. I say that the marine, Daniel Penny is his name, did the right thing and he may have saved innocent people from being injured. Mister Neely died. But I don't think there's any suggestion that I could have come back with a guilty verdict. And I think it became a political prosecution by the same pecuty you just mentioned. Yeah.
Speaker 13: Absolutely, I bet it's time.
Speaker 3: For people in New York to vote this this guy out of office.
Speaker 13: Thank you, thank you. Unfortunately, from what I gathered, the city council as also well, then.
Speaker 3: Vote them out to look Trump did better in New York than anyone expected. Maybe finally voters in New York are going to wake up. All right, I got to run Bill, keep calling my show. Well, I need I need callers like you. Thank you so much, thank you, great night, good night. Now there's a caller calling right now to help put that person on hold. It's about fifteen seconds left of the show, Rob. We're done for the night. Back tomorrow night. My name is Dan Ray. I want to thank Rob. I want to thank Marita, want to thank the callers and the listeners, and I hope to get the listeners to become callers. All dogs, all cats, all pets go to heaven. That's my pale Charlie ray Is, who passed fourteen years ago in February. Last February. So all your pets are a past. They loved you and you love them. I do believe you'll see them begin to see again tomorrow night. On Night's side, have a safe and dry Tuesday. Everyone, good night,