Speaker 1: Welcome to episode five sixty five of five and.
Speaker 2: Five Say that five times fast. It is Thursday, July twenty third. I am your host, Craig Goldstein, joined as usual by Patrick Dubuke and Jeffery pattern Nostro, and I'm going to start off with some banter in that I'm a little I'm a little irritated, guys. I'm a little irritated because later today, shortly after we finished recording this podcast, I have to go to a camp performer.
Speaker 1: It's for my eldest. When you say can't you do it?
Speaker 3: Recurring theme on this podcast watching his kids.
Speaker 2: See yeah, I know it sounds like that and perhaps is like that. But this is a three week camp.
Speaker 3: Sure, okay, this is funny to put a show together like what it is.
Speaker 2: It is the Thursday of the second week.
Speaker 3: That's pushing it.
Speaker 2: It is the Thursday of the second week. I have to attend six groups. Apparently they're going to sing two it's six of the groups performing two songs.
Speaker 3: I asked, you're getting a full concert.
Speaker 1: I asked my son, what are you like? Is it dancing? Whatever?
Speaker 2: And he said, it's very strenuously objected to the to the using dancing and said there are just movements.
Speaker 1: See, I hate it when they do that in these things. This is this is my feeling, is that.
Speaker 2: But what I have to this is gonna take minimum an hour, yeah, probably more just parking alone.
Speaker 1: Parking alone is gonna be half an hour.
Speaker 3: It's gonna be changeover, it's.
Speaker 2: Gonna be it's gonna be waters well, possibly two songs. I don't even know if I don't even know if my kid is in multiple songs or it's just one and there's another song I have to suffer for he's only in one of the six gripts. He's in one of the six grips. That's correct.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you gotta stay to the end. It's so it's respectable.
Speaker 2: But I can't just leave right. So, like what you're doing this on if every parent, every parent, the kid possibly be worth anyone.
Speaker 3: We're trying to live in a society here, correct.
Speaker 2: Man, I'm trying.
Speaker 1: So it's so my take on this, and I've done I've done this plenty of times. Sure. I hate that they make the kids do hand movements or like it's something. It isn't dancing. What it is is it's like you pat your shoulders and tap your head and do things along with the music. We're making singing harder for kids who are already not really good.
Speaker 2: Also, it's not well sure, but it's not hard because they're just they're not like they but there it's.
Speaker 1: Rubbing your belly and patting your head at the same time. For it for a six year old, it's like trying to remember, there's.
Speaker 2: A very solid chance my kid is just going to mouth the words, oh yeah, So I have to be like what, I'm going to be there. I want to be there for him. I want him to know I support him, right, but I but I resent having to do.
Speaker 1: It in this context. But get ready to learn strap in, get ready for recorders.
Speaker 3: Because when you said I really want to be there to support him, it did feel a little like baking the question based on everything else that I know.
Speaker 2: Well, I felt like I needed to make it clear. I just I just resent the context in which I have to prove that that's Do you have any banter? Patrick?
Speaker 1: Is it another deck? Well, I haven't. I haven't gotten back to the deck. I finally, I finally just got back home from my extended trip after an extended trip, and I caught a fish. Oh congratulations. Yeah, I just posted it in our Jupe group chat. You can see it is, uh, the first time I caught a fish in thirty years, which is also the first time I've tried to catch a fish in thirty years. Okay, the fish for the for the listener's home. On the smaller side of things, I would say, I would say that the fish is actually you know, you're supposed to measure it by weight. If this fish weren't on the hook, it would fly away.
Speaker 2: Could you make it hole on the line?
Speaker 1: So dis I was on a pier. No, I was utterly surprised that there was a fish on the hook when I real it back up, I actually miscast. I was standing on a pier, and I miscast and actually threw it, like I slung the lure into like a little hole in the pier down by like one of the and that's where you found that the supports. And yeah, I pulled it. I'm like trying. I'm just making sure I'm not like getting it caught, pulling it out instead, it's just a fish on there.
Speaker 2: Well, congratulations, yeah, thank you, thank you.
Speaker 1: I mean, like, I'm sure this is a you know, there's a checklist somewhere. Yeah, I just checked something off of I know, well I should be. I would be. I would be too, I got a fish. It doesn't like when I say I caught a fish. I can just you don't have to continue. You can just be like, yeah, I got a fish, and that's that's it. Let the imagination.
Speaker 2: You keep saying I caught a fish, and I'm hearing in the cadence I read we bought a zoo.
Speaker 1: Felix did catch a fish as well. His fish was about twice as big as mine, which was positive. Oh yeah, yeah, he was thrilled.
Speaker 2: On our on our vacation, we did a we did a glass bottom boat tour and you can see some turtles and stuff and the guys who running it all. So just fish off the back of the entire time. And so, uh my older one got to pull in a fish and was absolutely be nice. Yeah it wasn't really fishing, you know, like he didn't really like, Yeah, the guy.
Speaker 1: With a fishing pool he bought at a garage show like a couple months ago. So like, very very pleased. I will say that he caught the fish on the very first like cast he did and that's very much like winning on the first pull tab you ever played in your life. Like it's probably setting unrealistic expectations for the rest of his life.
Speaker 2: As far as no, absolutely disappointment. Yeah, Jeffrey, any banter.
Speaker 3: Come back from the Natural History Museum yesterday with the kid stopped at the Italian market. First mistake I made was going to the Italian market while hungry.
Speaker 1: Mm hmmm.
Speaker 3: The second mistake I made was letting the kid try one of the small free samples of the on the bone I Baryco.
Speaker 2: Ham oh well, in honor of Spain's victory.
Speaker 3: Sure, she decided she likes that ham a lot and wanted me to get it, and I said, we're not getting that ham. I did not include the part where it is two hundred dollars a pound.
Speaker 1: You've got to give it one day and then give her normal ham. And then they'll be like, yeah, this was the ham. That's the same Yeah, yeah, I mean prime gaslighting material right there.
Speaker 2: Yeah. You just be like, this is the same, this is actually the same ham, and she'll say no, it's not, and you just it is, actually it's the same ham.
Speaker 1: It's just it's the setting when anything else. I mean it tasted better there here at home. Ham tastes like ham. You have to goat places for food to taste good. That's the that's the way it works. That's right.
Speaker 2: Everything is influenced by by the context that surrounds it. On that note, why don't we start the show. We'll get into our first topic. Bird demic. The blue Jays, my beloved blue Jays. They only act like this when they're very sick. They've lost six of seven. They are now nine under. That puts them, somehow, only six and a half back of the last wild card spot. It's it's not going well.
Speaker 1: Their teen ops plus is eighty five. I don't know that's possible. Every time I hear about a player doing well for them, I look at their line and like it's maybe legue average. Like you know, Brandon mellens Wale has been a great surprise. He has a seven to twenty one ops.
Speaker 3: Yeah. He's a very good defensive catcher.
Speaker 1: Yeah, fantastic and the league average catcher.
Speaker 2: Well, and when they acquired him, when they acquired him for Will Wagner, it looked like this this wasn't even feasible, right, Like he was like we're talking about like an eighty ops plus catcher or something like that. So it's it's a nice surprise.
Speaker 1: It's a nice surprise. Let's see what's he been hitting in July. In July, Yeah, he has been hitting one eighty two two seventeen three eighteen. Sure, so I've heard of.
Speaker 3: What I would have expected from Brendan Valenvela, you.
Speaker 1: Know, and then Cosmo A. Kamoto, you know, leading the team in home runs and more than doubling anyone else two twenty six, three nine four like that.
Speaker 3: July season.
Speaker 1: That's the season. Yeah, that's the season. Not that that not recent.
Speaker 2: They have two they have two above average regulars. They are at one O three and one o two ops plus.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the the player, the regular, the regular with the best OPS plus on the team. We're not counting Luis Rias uh below replacement level. His is Sanchez, right, Uh yeah, No, it's it's falling apart. They've basically got you know, and and so if they are selling right and it sounds like that, I mean I've seen a lot of stuff around Kevin Gosman.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're hearing about Kevin Gosman's it is.
Speaker 1: The expiring context right, So like they're gonna run it back next year. They have to. There's too much.
Speaker 3: There's nothing else they can there's nothing else they can do, right, there's.
Speaker 1: It's so essentially it's Gotsman who has like eight teams on the snow trade contract, cause none of which he would actually trade be traded to right right, And then uh, and then you've got var Show.
Speaker 3: And barshow is a free agent already huh Yeah.
Speaker 2: And there is also a free agent. I don't know that any team is going to go hard after him. I don't think they'd get a lot for him.
Speaker 3: But I mean, do you consider trading like Louis Barland like you might never have Like I think it's part of the argument for the Mets trading Luke Weaver. I think Luke Weaver will be a good reliever next year. There's like risk and any I think will be a good reliever. But you're treating him at a point where you know he's probably not going to be a two era reliever. He hasn't really pitched like a two era reliever under the hood. He might be like a two point nine oh e a reliever. But yeah, and it is good. You want to have that guy, but you might be able to.
Speaker 2: I think in general you want to. I'm generally in favor of this. I think with with Varland, who I believe to be actually good and also he next year will be his final year of free art. Yeah, so they have a lot of control on him. I understand it's control on a reliever. I do get that, but I don't know unless you're getting an absolute haul, which maybe you could for the year he's having in the amount of control he has, I don't. I mean, you go go back and look at what Lucas Ursa returned.
Speaker 1: It wasn't that good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, and that was five years and he looked good too.
Speaker 3: What there's also the A's making that trade at the time when they were trading like.
Speaker 2: Sure, but I guess I'm if you go back to what Patrick said about they're going to run it back next year, you need someone in the bullpen, sure, and it's going to be more expensive than pre r Louis Arland. Now, well, Louis Arland have this season again, maybe probably not, I mean, but I do think he's good as a as a pitcher, and their bullpen has been a problem repeatedly in years they've tried to compete. So one of the ways your successful team is finding cheap guys in the bullpen. This is still a cheap guy in the bullpen, right, sure, Like you can't like this otherwise you're gonna have to replace him on the free agent market, and that's not.
Speaker 3: Really resources either. I think you should consider it, right, Like.
Speaker 2: I think it's if you get bowled over, I think that's tige. I think in this particular situation, right, you're what you're worried about missing on Bednar, But the Highs were not ever going to be competitive? Was the tracy part right in that window?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I mean, I guess the question is are the j is going to be competitive next year?
Speaker 1: What? I think they have to believe they will? Sure, I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't know. They have a they have a better base to start from than the pirates a lot of those Pirates teams.
Speaker 3: Sure, and look and then like, I mean, so the the actual issue here, and I didn't put it in the document to put it in the dock, is what is blad Guerra going forward? Yes, yeah, because that's like if you're saying the competitive next year, like and look, obviously like they bubbish at walk and didn't really replace him. I with Okamoto, who hasn't been he's been better than.
Speaker 2: Last year, sure, who has been phenomenal.
Speaker 3: Right, but like the fight, the highest ops plus on this here is one oh three is like an indictment of lad season and Lad doesn't want or to either, So no, I mean he's right, Like, but he goes through seasons like this, hits the ball on the ground too much, right, But it also doesn't look like it's he slugs four thirty when he does this, He doesn't slug what is it three fifty now?
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly at his career average.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's something else going would prefer it to be better, but yeah, but like he's had a good season doing this before. Yeah, And like I mean the problem, Like I guess this is part and partil right, Like if you have to believe they're going to be competitive next year, you also have to believe that Lad will be you know, something like down BALLID MVP Lad.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't want to just labor under a delusion, right, but we also know he ten at twenty eight years old, he should be able to be better than this. If he's just this you're if this is what he is going forward and you just accepted that, I mean, what do you do I don't like, yeah, he only I think you do kind of have to labor under the delusion that it could look different next year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Like he's chasing a lot more than needed last year. But he has had seasons where he's chased this much before. He has not had seasons where he's chased this much and made this much contact out of his.
Speaker 1: Own right, Yeah, I think that's part of the Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's I think the issue. You would like him to chase last regardless, but like, not only is he making it like it's.
Speaker 1: I see, he's actually yeah, making more contact.
Speaker 3: Yes, and like his averagects of velocity is ninety, which is still above average, but also significantly down from his peak averagects. So he's making a lot of bad ground ball contact.
Speaker 1: He's hitting with slugging two twenty eight on out his own pitches. Yeah, he is not the kind of hitter who wants to be hitting pitches outside of the zone, who should be trying to.
Speaker 2: Well, he definitely wants to.
Speaker 3: No, he had stopped it, Like, I'm not sure if he does it's not like a terrible chase, right, But the problem is like that, I don't know how that compares two league average, right, but I assume.
Speaker 2: So you just you cannot tell me he would like it to shouldn't Beah doesn't want to be hitting pitches out of this. You cannot tell.
Speaker 3: Me he uh he It should be a smaller percentage of his total contact than it probably, Yes, that's part of it. When he's hitting one ninety on those too many, it.
Speaker 1: Feels like an outlier. It feels like this is something like it's he's never made this much contact outside the zone before it. He's probably need to get him like strike.
Speaker 2: One on these, you know, back in the hitting lab and do a hard reset or something.
Speaker 3: Look, he's slugging four fifteen on fast falls.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I don't. I mean, I don't know. All that can do is sit there heavily, like I don't know.
Speaker 3: Again, he has had seasons like this and then bounce back, right like He's been very for his for what is generally speaking a fairly stable skill set. It ferries a fair bit within season from season to season. I mean, but like this is all like this is always like kind of earned like, I don't think he's been unlucky per se, right, Like, right, I mean he's been unlucky that he's making that much contact up just outside of them, But he's trying to. Right, when you're swinging a pitch outside of his own, you are trying to hit it like or at least fell it off.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, but he's gonna.
Speaker 3: Be the lynch, Like who's going to be the and like even if he's good, Like, sure, who's your second best hitter? Said Okamoto? Is Anthony Santander ever coming back? Like can they afford?
Speaker 2: Like there's not There have been so many investments, Yeah, a necessarily awful that have just gone awful here. I mean some Tander it was. It was a lot of money, It was a lot of years, but it was spread out in a way that I actually thought, oh that's not that's really not and there's a lot deferred.
Speaker 1: Right. It just wasn't that bad.
Speaker 2: Overall, you know, Jose Barrios, I didn't love it when they went there, but like it's it's amazing how little they've gotten for that. There are a lot of contracts that don't go the way you want them to, but you get something it is. It is shocking how exactly how little they've gotten from deals like Santander and Jose Burrios. You know, you could argue, you know, someone well, I'm sure debate about whether Springer lived up to his deal. Springer gave them several very good seasons. Yeah, it was to shape those two deals.
Speaker 3: Than you expected. But you got probably about as many good Springer seasons you expect on that deal. Right, it wasn't the price that's three but like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it was.
Speaker 2: Maybe the third one was not, but you know, you got to the World Series in it, so you can't even say it was poorly timed.
Speaker 3: I mean, he has put up let's say.
Speaker 2: But but Barrios and and santan there have been absolute zerous Now look at me again, expected on a third good Springer season, maybe santan there does come back and give them, give them something on the back half of the deal. It's not how it normally happens.
Speaker 3: Right, He's put up fourteen wins, one hundred and fifty million dollars contract, Like that's like you would have hoped for better than that. But it's also not like a disaster by any stretch. And he also like clustered it generally being good or unavailable.
Speaker 2: Right, right, so there are like backfills.
Speaker 3: I mean he had won like two twenty twenty four, he was bad and played one hundred and forty five games. That's like the only.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I think I think this losing streak does provide this group some clarity.
Speaker 1: Sure, I think so.
Speaker 3: They're also all recently signed extensions, so they have the there's not really like a principal agent problem here, Like they can make they're trying to do. Right, they can trade for a guy in low a, right and part of their cell trade and be like, okay, he's going to be, yeah, part of the next team.
Speaker 2: We're just here to the to the point of this discussion, it is short term clarity because next year, next year becomes a hard solve. I mean, this is what's been fascinating to me about the Blue Jays for for years now, right was was it was Bushett and Guerrero first and like, can you can you capitalize on the window? And then they they they did capitalize on the window the one year they could, you know, they had left to do it. Obviously they extended Guerrero, but but Schett, Walks and and the team changed. And look to their credit, they've they've made moves to be competitive that they have not. Yeah, and they were on the field more than off field.
Speaker 3: Right, They followed you know, they followed a World Series appearance with signing Dylan's right to get them a second like and because like their rotation was a little they needed.
Speaker 2: They wouldn't even be close to here right without Dylan has been phenomenal.
Speaker 3: Right, you look, you going into the season expecting Cosmond c Snya Savage to study the ship and the second most starts on this year, second most games, well it's like the third most starts tied for this year he's been Patrick Corbyn, which I think just said like where's the Definitely they started laur for a while he was bad. Yeah, they lost Cody, they lost Bieber, was hurt for a lot of the year, and they're not good. Sure's there has been hurt for a lot of the year and not good again. I don't think these are things that are unforeseeable. But they also you know, they traded some of the guys that you thought might be back though when they were buying at the deadline. Obviously cal Stephan ended up getting hurt, but you know they have they have arms coming. Like I think Nolan Perry is already in double A. He also just got hit in the head by one hundred mile an hour comebacker. But yeah, uh, you know there are.
Speaker 2: Some he is that was in his second start in double A. Yeah, now he is averaging four innings and change.
Speaker 3: He's coming off surgery. So that's part of the reason. I mean, it's part of it. You know, it's just how we develop pictures now. But part of it is he is first falsely soft surgery, and like you know, he was going to be on track for something like I don't know if we'll get there now, like eighty or ninety innings this year, so you could wrap him up year to one thirty or so. It's like a starter in the rotation. At some point you can manage the innings to have them for the second half of the year or something like. They have options here, you know, pitching is one thing they can go out on this free agent market and get to, you know, easier than the Bats.
Speaker 2: I don't think they're going to go get Terrek's Scoogle.
Speaker 3: I don't either. They might get Freddy Baralta, right like that's.
Speaker 2: Maybe they also, I mean, look they've they've been top of market.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they have been, like they went on got Dylan Cease, right, So you can't say they were how many times where they do that or will do that because they can do.
Speaker 2: It one of the last two teams on Otani they've been I mean they have been in.
Speaker 3: On every Alonso like they have been. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Name so I don't think I don't think they're going to do it because they have Cease and you Savage, but arguably, I mean Cease goes to the post. Savage has missed a lot of time. Arguably they could use it, right, I mean Patrick Corbyn has is the fourth starter here.
Speaker 3: So I hadn't be looking.
Speaker 2: If they're interested, they will be, They will be in the mix, I would say. I I don't know if they'll be as interested as some other teams, but if.
Speaker 3: They are, if out and I was just looking to see refresh my memory and how their hitters are doing this, you're they're minor leaguers in general. And I did come across this incredible name in Dunedin, Giackanino las Aresina. Oh yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Need to hear Dan Shulman say that.
Speaker 2: All right, let's move to another scuffling team with a bird logo. No, it is not my Orioles, not yet. They broke the Red Sox winter. They final they finally gave the Red Sox.
Speaker 3: Ended their win streak, and then they ended slightly later, they ended the Red Sox win streak.
Speaker 2: It is the Saint Louis Cardinals. Yeah, they've lost five of six h R two of the updated.
Speaker 3: I have no idea if they won last night. Oh they lost four inner of five of six. I standing up for a Cardinals lane.
Speaker 2: They won last night. Yeah, they've lost five of seven and two of those were walk offs.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Uh and two losses including a walk off loss, I believe to the Angels.
Speaker 3: Yeah, not what you want.
Speaker 2: It's it's not what you want.
Speaker 3: They are now a half game back along with Pittsburgh, one game ahead of both Miami and Washington.
Speaker 1: Miami now feels like the.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's they're gonna win. They're gonna win seventy eight games again.
Speaker 1: And yeah, yeah, I mean the Cardinals are. They're here. It feels this more than any other team, feels like a team that could just be happy with what it's.
Speaker 3: They are in the low Ebb of their bouncing between three over and seven over right now, I mean I get closer to seven over again at some point. It's not impossible, but you know it does. Yeah, we know the Blue Jays are going to sell because they're a ways out now, Like, what do you do? We talked about it a little bit recently, But what do you do for the Cardinals? I know Patrick thinks they're going to sell regardless, but perhaps they.
Speaker 1: Also have too much to sell. Sure it's just Dustin May and maybe, like I still like trading Riley O'Brien, because you should trade every reliever like they're on expiring contract.
Speaker 3: Especially when they're thirty one.
Speaker 1: Especially when they're thirty one and you know no longer. You know now that the walk rates up closer to four, I we get out on that as quickly as possible. But yeah, like I just the big question was where they were gonna Like if they don't do anything at the deadline, I wouldn't be shocked, It wouldn't be surprised if they just pretend it didn't happen right at the rest of the season, call it a success and move on. They're not gonna get enough to Dustin May. The people are gonna get mad that they didn't capitalize on the expiring costume contract to Dustin May. Right, I don't know if it's even worth Like.
Speaker 2: The whole signing for him was to move him at the deadline. I don't know. Yeah, I think you're right that they may do very little, but I think it could look if you also if you ship out Dustin May and get something of interest and then call up Quinn Matthews who has been on one of his better runs that can fall apart any time, to be clear, but has been on one of his better runs. You know, I don't think teams are going to be unhappy about or fans are going to be unhappy.
Speaker 1: Probably not. I don't think fans are gonna Yeah, they're got to be pretty happy to matter what. Right, Yes, this is a percentile outcome for the Cardinals. Yeah, I mean Lars new Bars there, he's Yeah, he's been hitting fairly well.
Speaker 2: There's got to be someone who can use you know, we didn't mention him, I think in the right up you did on the Red Sox. But you know, if they're looking for a left fielder, but.
Speaker 3: He's also left candidate, which is not ideal nor deal with it.
Speaker 2: But might be an upgrade on Duran, although I know Duran was was the the big hitter in their last game of their win streak. Yeah, I don't know. I think I think you're right that they could do very little. I think it's going to be on the margins, let's say, but it was also designed to be on the margins anyway, right, Like this season even if it didn't go this well, you're talking about the same guys, right, It's it's Noot bar and and May and guys of that ilk rather than any kind of corky.
Speaker 3: This is I think meant to be like you know, evaluation season, right.
Speaker 1: Everybody either turned out to be too good to trade or worth trading, Like Nolan Gorman. Yeah, like you needed the Nolan Gorman like league average line so that some other team think could think they could fix him. Yeah, sad he's in triple A.
Speaker 3: I mean you've come awa come away with jj Weatherhall. Looks like he's a star. It's like a weird shape of a star, but it's still a star. And like, okay, Jordan Walker can stay around. That might be really good now, right, Like just getting those two things out of the season. I think make them an not positive for going forward because there's a team Like part of this is they're in the NL Central and the Jason in the AL East. It's easier for me to see the outline of the competitive Cardinals twenty twenty seven team. I think. I think they have to do They have to do stuff, don't get me wrong, but they have to do less. There's less of like an.
Speaker 1: Overall, Yeah, they don't need four pitchers now, Yeah, they've needed every year for the last half decade.
Speaker 3: I feel like, and they're a year they're like a year closer to getting well, they're a year closer to getting or a season closer to getting twin Quinn Matthews and and Lean Doyle and Tanner Franklin Install.
Speaker 1: People want to.
Speaker 2: Find out this year a little bit more about Matthews, right, I think sure it would be good to see him, see him for in August right where you can get us. I'm sure it will be after.
Speaker 3: The if they trade new Bar you might see Josh biez To, which would be good to see what he can do against major league pitching.
Speaker 1: But like.
Speaker 2: I mean, Patrick, like you're saying, you don't need necessarily need poor Patrick, but like Michael McGreevey has had a great season and also struck out six or nine. Do you do you have confidence in Michael McGreevy.
Speaker 1: Is he a playoff starter? Is that the question? Okay?
Speaker 2: I mean that was like your tea. I actually really I love your t a that one on the site today and and you talked about the British extension a little bit. What we talked about on the on the podcast basically is he a playoff starter? He's not a playoff starter. Payante is not a playoff starter. That Liberatory is not a playoffs star is gone?
Speaker 3: Kyle Lay, I'm sorry, he's not a playoffs start.
Speaker 2: Fine, I said, he's not interesting. He's not a playoff starter. He's like the he's if you're starting four games, maybe he's your fourth, which is also true of McGreevy. Maybe I'm not trying to say that they're they're that different.
Speaker 1: But if Laboratory can can get his walk right back down into the don't well he was two point four last year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he starts the season and he's at five point one eight.
Speaker 1: This is this is Brendan fot zone. Yeah, he's the only guy with the strikeouts.
Speaker 2: You're talking about walks. He's a lot one hundred twelve hits, and.
Speaker 3: That is you know the problem, and you can't really blame the Cardinals defense for that either.
Speaker 1: No, no, I again no, no, None of these guys are I mean, I think maybe one of them turns out to be one. One one of the four guys takes a step forward. Like Hunter Dobbins has.
Speaker 3: Been pretty good.
Speaker 1: He come. I still don't really know why they couldn't find a spot of rotation for him in all year, but he seems fine.
Speaker 3: I think Dick fitzaxt year starters.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Richard right, Dobbins and Fits will have well factor in.
Speaker 3: But again, like they they probably do need to go out and acquire a play like a number two starter, right, like they have an of because you're not like Doyle and Franklin won't be up to start, right. You know, by the time you're looking to call them up, they might be nearing an inning's cap. And maybe you want to bring Franklin up as a late season reliever anyway, obviously relieved in college, but you know you do need for like you know, April first, twenty twenty seven, some pictures of some type right for more picture.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Kevin Gosman would look good here if you could be sure that he would stay Kevin Cosmin because he's like, yeah nine.
Speaker 2: Or that's the risk, like he's yeah, he's trending obviously older.
Speaker 1: But that level.
Speaker 2: Number two starter would would fit really well. And you're talking about you're talking about Sonny Gray.
Speaker 1: Yeah, actually is who is a free agent. He knows the area, he knows how the restaurants are exactly. That's the best place you.
Speaker 3: Have fried.
Speaker 1: The pitching is, isn't it toasted?
Speaker 3: Toasted? Rare?
Speaker 1: Right? And you do both. You can toast it and then fry it. Nick Martinez will be a free agent, and.
Speaker 3: That's extremely Cardinals.
Speaker 1: Actually it is good. Well, it used to be and might now be. It's confusing whether it still is it is not.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know, guys. This list is uh, you know, Michael King interesting if if he opts.
Speaker 3: Out, Yeah, I think he probably will.
Speaker 2: Obviously you have Schooble. I don't think they're there, Robbie Ray, Zach Gallen, Osman.
Speaker 3: They're very capable. They're very capable of saying signing Jamison Tivetta.
Speaker 1: And that is anyone really what's that is anyone capable of signing Jameson.
Speaker 2: Shane Bieber Shane Bieber feels like because then they could sell if things don't go well the short term.
Speaker 1: He's the new Dustin May.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, well the new Yeah Clay Holmes potentially I.
Speaker 3: Guess yeahs is like not a bad fit.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, I like that one.
Speaker 2: All right, let's move on to our second topic. Rumor has it? Patrick? I feel like I need you to read our first item.
Speaker 3: I just put this in directly as the headline.
Speaker 1: I enjoyed.
Speaker 3: I enjoyed reading it greatly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm going to try and do my best. Oscar Wells not Oscar Wells, Jesus orson Wells uh narrating p commercial rockies getting interest in various players.
Speaker 3: Yeah. If you're wondering who those various players they are fielding calls, I am.
Speaker 1: I am wondering.
Speaker 3: Kyle Freeland, Michael Lorenzen, tell me Stigano, Mickey Mooniac, Jake McCarthy, and Willie Castro.
Speaker 1: Okay, I get two of those.
Speaker 2: I get the last two.
Speaker 1: And reliever in Sansotela is also getting interest, which also makes some sense, Although how is it feels like it's been a while since we've talked about Antonio sincetla. How is he doing?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 1: Since the break, let's see second half? He has started? He is he pitched? Hold on a second, that's the last time you pitched. Oh, he has pitched bad. He's been pitching bad. He's give three of his last five appearances. Yeah. Yeah, the area is up to three point six, which is still low for sense of tela but not like the fast of course.
Speaker 3: But also yeah, for course, here's a cheap club option, well cheap, cheap, relatively cheap.
Speaker 1: Yeah, hitters are in June and July hitters are now opsing like nine to fifty against him. I think it was fun, but yeah, I would not be interested in my team of choice going after Antonian's sensetil.
Speaker 2: It's it's such a weird, I think some Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean the funny thing is they probably traded their best peace already.
Speaker 2: In Halverson. Yeah, that's in around.
Speaker 3: The definitely, like I'm foreshadowing.
Speaker 1: I do think.
Speaker 2: I think McCarthy McCarthy, Yeah, And I don't think it's gonna go well wherever he goes. I think he's very much a function of.
Speaker 1: Being in like.
Speaker 3: Also every team can kind of use his like quick bench outfielder, defensive.
Speaker 1: Speed he can give them.
Speaker 2: But if that's what they're acquiring in their minds, I think they'll be happy. I think if they think he's gonna hit even as well as he has in in coleradio.
Speaker 3: And there's like an argument that maybe you want this guy as opposed to your like best speed in defense, center fielder in triple A right, Like, look, he has some, he's got some. He must have some playoff experience, and they're somewhere with the Diamondbacks. But he's like a veteran like he can like he can take it it back. I mean, you should him being good.
Speaker 1: Do you know his.
Speaker 2: Plugging percentage I will find based on the inside the park home runs?
Speaker 3: Is it over five?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: Jeff, Well it's it's I don't follow the five eleven.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: His previous career highest four twenty seven. I mean, like, look if he if he can slug four thirty.
Speaker 3: What's the team the biggest outfield they can trade him to.
Speaker 1: That's true play off.
Speaker 3: None of the Ray is probably he does kind of feel a little raised. I don't think the Rays will do it, but he just kind of feel a little raised.
Speaker 1: I mean to Luca Ja McCarthy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Chandler Simpson outfield, the biggest outfield, I mean, the the Orioles are three back, the Diamondback I mean where he just the Diamondbacks.
Speaker 3: The Diamondbacks off spot right now, they could use it. Man Pittsburgh, they feel like they already have field. They already have Jared Tary alone. I don't think they need him to That's not an outfielder played in the outfield for them. At some point. They have Jake Mangum, don't they It's basically Jake.
Speaker 1: They do have. They don't need to do that. Uhh yeah, I don't.
Speaker 3: I mean, I mean, I'm sure that they're not trading like that. People are really calling on Kyle Freeland. I want to see I want to I would.
Speaker 1: Like to see the sad answer here is Cleveland.
Speaker 3: I like to see the cell phone bell.
Speaker 2: Is that a big outfield?
Speaker 1: I don't, And I just Cleveland needs him, that doesn't matter what the field is. He is an upgrade for Daniel Shneman. They need, they need to find a new Miles Straw. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the Padres are considering trading Mason Miller.
Speaker 1: I mean, look a J. Prowler is considering the drawers. What have I got?
Speaker 2: Sure?
Speaker 1: I guess Yeah, they're three back right now. It feels like they will stay three back every single game for the rest of the year. Like it just feels like they are like they and the Marlins will just be together at the same spot in the standings.
Speaker 3: I think there's to be them in the Nats. I think the Marlins might fade, okay, fair, I mean the Nats might also trades like Luis Garcier or something.
Speaker 1: I do want to update.
Speaker 2: Very early in the season, I believe we had a question of whether we believed Mason Miller would in the year with a negative FIP. Yeah, he's currently at zero point five to one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he ain't get it much lower. I don't think it's not gonna Yeah, it's gonna be very good.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I mean very good as an understatement.
Speaker 3: But I think it's gonna be giving up a home run.
Speaker 1: Yet he is not given up. I was just looking to see how unlikely that was. Let's see keep talking.
Speaker 3: The strike out raid has dropped enough now where it's like.
Speaker 2: Yes, it is merely sixteen point eight.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's gonna be like nineteen to probably keep a negative FIP.
Speaker 2: But yeah, yeah, hits allowed four point five. It's probably just too hot. Again, like that's in the three. I mean it's in Kirby Yates zone. Yeah, maybe still something something to track. Look, they would get an absolute hall. Ye who who fits here?
Speaker 3: Cubs?
Speaker 2: Who are they giving up in an absolute.
Speaker 1: Hall for Mason?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I mean, so here's the That's not their kind of move. It's not. But the problem is, I mean Jed Hoyer was there when they traded for a w Oldest Chapman.
Speaker 1: But.
Speaker 3: I don't so they set the problem is that they paid. I don't want to it's up they like they paid too much for Mason Miller, but they set the bar of what masimilar brought back by trading their own top five prospect, right like, so, like, I know he's pitched for them now for what the full season or two seasons? When did this trade happen?
Speaker 2: This would be the full season? Right was last year?
Speaker 3: I have no sense of time anymore. He is going to have less trade value just because there's less control, right, But you're still gonna want like a top twenty five guy back from him under those parameters and again, I don't know if there's a team out there that will do it.
Speaker 2: All right, that's the problem. That's the problem with the entire Who's gonna do Who's gonna do these.
Speaker 3: I'm I'm going to talk for wfan this week and suggest trading Jason Domingez and Spencer Jones because they are the new Fraser and Andahar. We can all enjoy that.
Speaker 1: But I'm gonna bring in real quick, okay. And I tell you that there have been eight picture seasons in the modern nineteen eighty seven plus era where a pitcher has gone at least sixty innings and not giving up a home run. Six of them are middle relievers.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The only closers are Dave Smith of the Astros in nineteen eighty seven and Jason ingers Isringhausen for the Cardinals. Two members of the twenty fourteen Royals are on this list, Wayne Davis and Calvin Herre. Heathcliff Slocum Slom is on this Therefore, this list means nothing. Yeah.
Speaker 3: When I picture Heathcliff Slocum in my mind, it is giving up a backbreaking home I know he was a good I know he was a good reliever.
Speaker 1: I can give you five guesses at which team he even did this for, and I don't think you would give it. I forgot. He's had a lot of teams, a lot of teams. Phillies, Yeah, Phillies. Wow, I forgot.
Speaker 3: I just picked the team that like, what is the team? I what is the team I think about? He clipped Slocum on the fourth Moost.
Speaker 2: So, speaking of the Phillies, they are the only team I think would.
Speaker 3: Sure, I don't know that they have the pieces.
Speaker 2: I agree with that part of it, Jeff Brees. But even on the motivation, I don't know that any other team. Just go across the playoff teams and there's a lot of seems you can put in this mix.
Speaker 3: The Yankees, is there, Kayla, Yankees if they trade George Lombard, like I think they're the Yankees are.
Speaker 2: Not gonna trade for me. They don't need to.
Speaker 3: I mean they don't.
Speaker 2: But also like not how they act anymore.
Speaker 3: It isn't. Maybe it should be, but it isn't. I mean, you trade for him, you see it.
Speaker 2: You want to say, maybe it's fine. If you want to say maybe maybe the Yankees, fine, not the Rays, maybe the Yankees, not the Red Sox. I don't think.
Speaker 3: I don't think.
Speaker 2: Uh, Orioles are probably too far out. I mean, they could use them, I don't know, but that's not how they act. Certainly, not the White Sox, not the Guardians, Uh, not the Rangers, not the Mariners, not the Braves. Billies might not have the pieces, not Milwaukee, you can say Chicago. It's again not really how they do it. Uh, Dodgers don't need them. Dodgers aren't going to do it. Diamondbacks aren't going to do.
Speaker 3: It, right. That's like the only person that would have traded for Mason Mill that much for Mason Miller in the first place might have been the Padres.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: Well, look, and that's if you're saying you're going to get back leader degrees, I don't think you are. But whatever you want to call a hall, the Yankees could do it, and I don't think are super motivated to.
Speaker 1: Personally.
Speaker 2: The Phillies I think are motivated to, especially with Keller going out, and don't really I'm not sure they have the pieces.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of teams that basically all the teams that would move.
Speaker 2: Although if there is a team that will take busted back Aiden Miller, It might be the Padre, it might be a J.
Speaker 1: Prowler.
Speaker 2: And and then you have the Cubs and I don't know that they're motivated to and I don't know how much their their far their fund is not bad and they have a bunch of young guys. But like it, really the quality is Is.
Speaker 1: That fair to say? Jeff like it?
Speaker 2: How much do you like Matt Shaw? How much do you like this biasteros? How much do you like.
Speaker 1: Injured arms? Right?
Speaker 2: Like, yeah, I could see Ad Preler liking Kevin.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean Jackson Wiggins is back on the mound. You think Conrad is back playing now? But like that's again you're taking guys coming back.
Speaker 2: Look, I didn't mention Josia Hertstorn and people tend to like. But again, do you want to give up Josiah Heartstorn for for a reliever right now? If you're Chicago, I don't know.
Speaker 3: You might.
Speaker 2: I think you can make a compelling case.
Speaker 1: You can make.
Speaker 3: This is the highest hearts Worn's values ever going to be ready and upper minor pitching. Yet it's kind of a and.
Speaker 2: You're you're very much in the mix, But like, can Josiah heartsworn lead a Mason Miller deal.
Speaker 1: I don't.
Speaker 3: I mean eighth round weird prep bat like that is of J Peler's alley.
Speaker 2: He does love that ship, sure, but you know what I mean, like I think, yeah, I mean the X factor is always like what does a J Preler think of something? I don't know, But like.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I think that's a tough one.
Speaker 1: What about the White Sox. I mean I ruled them out, I think, but like they theoretically have the parts to do it. They have eight guys this year. I know, theoretically. That's why I put does that?
Speaker 2: What does that look? I know you're not the prospect person, so I'm not it's it's not a fair situation. But what do you What does that look like to you?
Speaker 1: I mean they can't trade, uh, they can't trade their number one prospect right now, But like, I don't know what it looks like to me. I mean, I'm assuming Bomber's the big piece and you have one or two more, but like they at least have the needs. Anthony Dimngez is the closer, but he's you know, you know, he's he walks five for nine. I think they would love to not have him be the closer if they were making the playoffs. I think, look there that he's going certainly guaranteed to use Mason Miller over the window of him the forest free agency. They're going to be in this position for the next couple of years.
Speaker 2: I think you could construct right, like you have more common on a short term deal, you can construct a lot of reasons to say, like you're you're here, Yeah, you have you have You're arguably your best player is only on a short term deal, like.
Speaker 1: Go while you can.
Speaker 2: I kind of think it's a it's a real mistake to go heavily for this season, like to treat and Jeff can speak better than I can to how good Caleb Bonhemer is, but like to do it for a reliever as good a reliever as Mason Miller is. So the argument feels really like reaching above your station a little bit.
Speaker 3: If I were to sit here and tell you, you know, make an argument for putting Caleb Bonber in this deal, it would be one like the contact rates from better in double A and he's starting to hit for more power at double A two and something is not a great place to hit. I mean the contact right, and Hya was not good, Like there is some significant hit to a risk. I had a scout recently put a dan Ugla comp on him, which is a fun comp.
Speaker 1: And like.
Speaker 3: You can construct an argument like that they would be trading from surplus here. M hmm, given that they already have Coulton, Montgomery, Vargas, Antonacci and dr Now I think Bonhamber can be better than several of those guys. But like I can see the like the White Sox are gonna the White Sides are not the kind of teen that's going to have a lot of surplus anywhere, right.
Speaker 1: So and you need that, I mean the other things.
Speaker 3: But they're not gonna have depth either way, right, Like they're not gonna have depth either way. So the argument they're like, you do like a you know, I don't know if you can sell anybody, but.
Speaker 2: Let's just say this happened, Like, what are the odds you would then put a Mason Miller being traded next time?
Speaker 3: Most sure? Very high.
Speaker 1: I mean, there's the argument that no one should trade for Mason Miller, right given the price we assume for him, that that is just unreasonable or any team And that's fine. I don't think that's well, I mean the funny, the funny, the worst part of it is a team that certainly makes the most sense from a you needed a or you're planning to need a lights out reliever and will be in a situation where that actually matters for you going forward is the Dodgors.
Speaker 2: Yeah right, they don't. Right there, They're not going to do it. They they made they made their play with Edwin Diaz. They they have gotten their bullpen healthy, right, Like brock Stewart is briefly upright, Evan Phillips is back. He's throwing ninety eight recently. Uh, he looked pretty good his last having one before that not so much.
Speaker 1: But in terms of just.
Speaker 2: The omnipresent need of a high leverage guy, even just for October, that's the team that makes the most sense, right, So I don't think I but I don't think they make sense in in every other context. And like, I don't think they'd trade those pieces. I don't know that they care that much about the divisional thing. But I don't think they're going to trade one of their outfielders for to to San Diego, uh, for a piece that that is ultimately probably extraneous. Now you could you could gain, say, like, how how much do you want to trust Edwin Diaz compared to Mason Miller with the game on the line. I'd rather have Mason Miller, right, But yeah, I don't know the Mets. M HM, need I say more?
Speaker 1: The Mets.
Speaker 2: They're getting calls about Louise Robert.
Speaker 3: They should trade Louise Robert as soon as possible.
Speaker 2: Said, Either're getting calls from.
Speaker 3: No, but it doesn't matter.
Speaker 2: I'm just curious.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know. Phillies could use Robert. Yeah, you can do. You can package like Robert and a reliever for them. I think, would you know Robert and Brooks Raley or something and get a nice little piece back. I don't know how pot committed they are, add justin Crawford and centerfield. At this point the edge should be not very.
Speaker 1: But yeah, like you basically have ten days to try to Yeah, like.
Speaker 3: He's played two games, He's looked fine. He has a her neated disk in his back, so there's that there. Yeah, he might just want to Like I don't think. I do not think he will play well enough where you want to pick up the twenty million dollar option, especially giving youing and benches success this year. So yeah, just hope he stays healthy for the next ten days and plip him. They're gonna be busy.
Speaker 1: Trying to take whatever. It doesn't matter.
Speaker 3: You'll probably actually do better than the least on Helicunya.
Speaker 2: So John Mozeliak, Yeah, might might be busy. I mean, that's this is maybe the most interesting thing is this, This change in power has perhaps opened up perhaps.
Speaker 3: Look, if I'm John Mozzellia, he's he.
Speaker 2: I heard him on a broadcast. God knows why I tuned into an Angel's Cardinals game, but I did, and he was on the broadcast, you know it. I saw reports that they're listening on zach Netto. Uh yeah, and and he see he seemed to be more open to debt mers at least I haven't. I don't hear a ton about Soriano. But it doesn't matter, I think.
Speaker 3: So what's that Berreano's better in a way where.
Speaker 1: Okay, you might just want to It.
Speaker 2: Seems to me if you're trading, if you're willing to listen on Netto and debt mers, sure Soriano is now elegily.
Speaker 3: I mean, I don't like this is all going to come down to I mean, there are other reporting around this before miss Aliak was hired with that they were not going to move any of these guys, right, and I assume that was coming from Arty.
Speaker 2: Now now he does not talk to Artie.
Speaker 3: Well, yes, but going out there, it's like one of those things where if you keep saying it in the media, eventually already might just agree to it because that's out there, like like he can't if you're not directly talking to each other, he might just stay out of it. At this point, you just keep saying, yeah, they're available. And I don't know what Molly Jolly's opinion is on all of this, so no.
Speaker 2: Nor I I think they should be The Angels have the opportunity to own the pitching.
Speaker 3: Market, especially if your guys with control, right, so it's not just your trading first.
Speaker 2: And then you know, we we spent a long time. Patrick then wrote a piece on the Red Sox and trade. We spent a long time talking about their shortstop issue. Zach netto Yeah, would probably be very appealing for a lot of teams, to a lot.
Speaker 1: Of especially for a team that is trying to dislodge its like name brand. But not good short stop, Like you can't. I don't think the Red Sox can move on from story if they're getting Andre Semenez, even if Andrea Semenz is incrementally better at this point in his career than Trevor's story.
Speaker 3: Like Netta would make a lot of sense in the Bronx mm hmm, especially in that park. Outside of that park.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a really good point. Yeah, I mean I would be.
Speaker 3: And look, those are both teams. Like I don't love the Yankee system, but it's certainly deep enough for a zachnetto trade and Boston has bustn't go out and get whoever they want.
Speaker 1: Basically, they wouldn't.
Speaker 2: They wouldn't do it.
Speaker 1: Patrick, but.
Speaker 2: The Mariners could use that.
Speaker 3: They're not gonna block Cole Emerson playing shorts.
Speaker 2: I said they're not gonna do it. I said, they're not gonna do it. But but when I when you, when you help me make that chart of the team by team and buy position projections for the rest of the season. The Mariners dark blue spot was short stop.
Speaker 3: I mean I did not really I knew Cole Emerson had not been good. It did not really sound quite how bad.
Speaker 1: He just played discipline, but then it did for Cole Young last year too, and then but.
Speaker 3: I mean, look that it has but also like and Cole Young's fine, yeah, but like if you're only getting the gabag hitters out of those two guys, like you've got a problem. Well you know, it's like do Maasarowski with the glove or something based on brs.
Speaker 1: But like, Brendan Donovan certainly is a baseball player who exists theoretically. I don't know where he is at this point. But man, this team really put a lot of a lot of its off season was about getting Brendon Donovan and then not getting Brendan Donovan too much, Buddy Kennedy.
Speaker 2: Lastly, the Nationals might just keep Foster Griffin. Sure, I mean he showed up on that that leaderboard game and I was not expecting that. I mean sure, I guess I know they're a little bit in the Cardinals spot where it's like they might just do very little.
Speaker 3: Can they qualify him? I know it varies based on it's when foreign professionals.
Speaker 2: Were you gonna qualify and offer Foster Griffin?
Speaker 3: Why not?
Speaker 1: That's a lot of money for Foster.
Speaker 3: I mean, it would probably find on one in twenty been very good, Greig, he has.
Speaker 2: He's been very good. I can't argue with that.
Speaker 3: I think it might be worth the risk to qualify Foster Griffin.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's an interesting one. And there's nothing that you look at Foster griv there's nothing wrong.
Speaker 2: It's not like they look it's not like they're going to run up against the cap if they did it. Sure you know the cap, the luxury attack. It's so like as long as they don't care about that money that much, God bless right. And if you get a pick out of it or whatever, if someone goes above and beyond. But I would get the vibe that I don't know.
Speaker 3: I guess the other question is like, are you really beating a second round pick for a Foster Griffin rental?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: I Also, I don't know that you necessarily need to be in the Foster Griffin business next year.
Speaker 1: Sure you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Like this, he's been very good, he's got a three nights fit.
Speaker 3: But do you think someone else might want to be in that foster?
Speaker 2: Yeah? But you want to right, you want to go get the next Foster Griffin, not pay twenty million dollars for the current for.
Speaker 3: The that's a risk you take by qualifying it. But I don't you got to run the you know, run the math and see what you think.
Speaker 2: Right, all right, why don't we take a break and we'll come back with the rest of the show. Welcome back to episode five hundred and sixty five of five and Dive. We're on our third segment, Slow news week. We only made it two topics before the break, but it's a slow news week.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I just know I wanted it is it is. I wanted to like do a segment on just like weird stuff that's happened this week basically that doesn't quite like it technically could fit in around the horn, but I also feel like there's like an undercurrent of called oddity. Yea, let's go I put it.
Speaker 1: Let's start with oddity. Yeah, because the Phillies cannot be remotely normal and bless them.
Speaker 3: For Craig's especially blessing them this week.
Speaker 2: Yeah, look what the fuck was that?
Speaker 3: So if you haven't seen it, and I assume anyone listening to the show has, uh, the Philly has had what second and third?
Speaker 1: Second and third? One out?
Speaker 3: Yeah, down, one down, one against Evan Phillips, wasn't it.
Speaker 1: Uh, it was against Tanner Scott.
Speaker 3: Tanner Scott. Sure, Tanner Scott living the Good Life clearly is a ground ball to bats. Crawford breaks for the plates. It's like dead to rights. So he does what you're supposed to do, which is yet caught in a rundown.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was interesting. The infield was not.
Speaker 3: In. It was hit pretty hard.
Speaker 2: It was It's Brandon Marsh, so it was hit pretty hard. When he makes contact, it's hard and clearly yeah you know what, Actually I say it, but it was like chopped right like it.
Speaker 3: Wasn't It didn't look like contact. Play was on.
Speaker 1: He got to.
Speaker 2: Muncy relatively quickly, but it was not like well struck he was. I would say he was started about even with the bat right, he was holding the run. But the infield was not in.
Speaker 3: Right, and Crawford like, the play is very close to him, right, So if he's not.
Speaker 2: He was off on contact it was, which is.
Speaker 3: Not a problem. Sure, yeah you think so he was dead to rights. He gets a rundown, you know. Well, yeah, so it wasn't enough of a I don't know who hit it, oh Marsh, there was enough of a rundown to let him get to second.
Speaker 2: Or he just wasn't getting to say, I don't the breakdowns on Philly's base running on this like, I don't know if he just didn't go to second.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't either, But that was not the biggest problem with.
Speaker 2: No got to third he did. Well, No, but if if marsh goes to second, real Mudo isn't coming I mean, isn't coming back.
Speaker 3: I mean maybe he is. He didn't have to. So anyway, at a certain point during the rundown, a JT just starts running back to second base.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yep.
Speaker 2: So at a certain point he was acting like Crawford was going to get back to third safely, which was not going to happen. No, it was. I mean, he was, as you said, dead to rights. The catcher ran back a fair amount of the way. Gooky bats is standing there. It was not hard. And then he tags Crawford and I mean, yeah, real inexplicably, guys, he was touching third base.
Speaker 3: He was on third base. He was standing on third base.
Speaker 2: Once you're on third base, is the runner in that situation?
Speaker 3: You're there, right the worst case, you're the tying run. Yes, you're the tying run. The worst case scenario, like the play hasn't gone well, but you still have you know, you're.
Speaker 2: Scoring on all scenarios. Then is on third with two outs and and arguably again marsh should be at second. So the winning run is on second with two outs.
Speaker 3: A worst case, A worst case than the worst case that.
Speaker 1: He ran back and key, you.
Speaker 4: Know he didn't make a good mook. He didn't even make it wasn't a strong He threw it as fast as he can. Yeah, like as sorry, as quickly as he It was not fast, but it was enough time And again.
Speaker 3: Question the catcher is still but something clicked in real mod like I gotta go back to second, and like I just.
Speaker 2: The explanations have not made sense, he said, like you gotta play it out in your head ahead of time or whatever. No you don't. You just stand on third. Just if you get to third as a runner in that situation, stand on.
Speaker 3: Third, right, and if they tag both you and somebody's out.
Speaker 2: Well you know, and somebody isn't, then someone is on third.
Speaker 3: But like, I just don't understand as like as a baseball player, and Mudo is obviously you know he's at least in his younger years. Was it very fast for a catcher a good bass runner in general? But he's played a lot of baseball. How many times when a play is going on that you are not directly involved in, right, Like it's on a rundown? Do you think I'm going to run backwards on the basis, Like, how does that even enter your mind?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: You always are going in one direction on the basis. It's not like a tag up situation or any of that, right, or somebody caught it in the outfield like the plays.
Speaker 2: Yourebias is the only person to think it successfully, right.
Speaker 3: Yes, well yeah, like I just don't know why he didn't.
Speaker 1: They have to make a rule about it because somebody was trying to steal first.
Speaker 2: What is happening in Pennsylvania and base run?
Speaker 3: Yeah, well there's the guy that ran backwards on his hundred thumb run ran the basis backwards on run in the sixties, I don't remember.
Speaker 1: Well, I thought there was one that tried to run from second to first so that he could lure a throw to get the so that a guy on third. Yeah, yeah, that sounds familiar, which they had to make a rule then not let you do that basically, which feels like one of the most experience, Like you don't want to do that.
Speaker 3: It's like that was the play that sam Elli need to legislate this write about. And the guy just like walks into the outfield.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, sunk in the outfield.
Speaker 3: That's what it is. Yeah, remember what animal it was?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 3: But yeah, like just and the other thing is it was they lost after that because it was a ninth inning, you should mention.
Speaker 2: The game was over, I mean cataclysmic.
Speaker 3: You got to play it out in your head. Okay, at what point in your head are you deciding? You know, as someone with anxiety issues who catastrophizes often, like I couldn't come up with just I'm going to run back to second base now, the worst thing possible out of here.
Speaker 1: Sometimes you just got to get out of dodge.
Speaker 2: I Yeah, I don't know, Its just it also like it made you immediately think back to the playoff game with the wheel play that that because it's these two teams, right, and like that wasn't even bad base running to me, although someone pointed out to me, Uh a shocker who I talked to pointed out to me that like they had missed with the bunt and and the Dodgers showed that they were doing the wheel play the pitch before and so like, but that's not a base running error to me, that's a managerial decision.
Speaker 1: Whether you want to, you also still have to execute it. They it was not easy to do.
Speaker 2: But like between the Dodgers, like executing that that wheel play and then like this happening again, same ballpark, same base Like, I don't know, it's just there's bad juju there for Philly. It just feels like at this point, not far down ninety five.
Speaker 3: In Baltimore, Yes, that is where is if you didn't know what.
Speaker 2: Jeffrey Jeffrey saw saw a game between two streaking clubs in Baltimore and Boston earlier this week and said, of course Christian and Karnacian Strand is in Boston. I was like, no, no, he's in Baltimore.
Speaker 3: He's like, okay, that works too.
Speaker 2: Uh, Jeffrey, I feel like you particularly delighted in this.
Speaker 3: I did so between. He had a good game in the first game of the doubleheader yesterday, had a lot of good games for Baltimore. Actually, and Andy Costa tried to get you know, a couple of minutes with him in between the games, and he told him, uh, I got to go take a nap and I was like, it only be a couple of minutes. He's like, I understand, but it's nap time. Yeah, Like I don't like it naptime, man, I get it.
Speaker 2: I respect that.
Speaker 3: Yeah. You we'd often talk about like players finding something. I think christiansto Strand has found something, and snap time he's found.
Speaker 1: Asking me about my my greatness will reduce my greatness. Yeah, because.
Speaker 2: And even you know, well it's not to me that this is fine shi.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And I also Yama motives. Some of these they're like I need twelve.
Speaker 3: Hours of sleep, like high performance.
Speaker 2: Twelve to thirteen hours of sleeping or something Otani. I think like it is like ten, Like I okay, yeah, I guess I don't know, Like you gotta go out there and didn't Lebron always nap before games.
Speaker 3: He gives like a sleep machine or something probably like that's somehow of weird, like well.
Speaker 1: Like a hyperbaric chamber or something like that.
Speaker 3: I think I can't.
Speaker 1: I'm assuming not just a seatpath.
Speaker 3: That's just a seatpath. What I did enjoy is like a lot Oftentimes you'll see reporters get kind of fussy or crankly tweet about players not giving them access or not talking to the matter of the game, and he's just like, I can't argue with that. The guy needs a nap. I can't, Like I can't. Yeah, fine, I get it. He needs that. We all need a nap.
Speaker 1: I mean that was to watch two.
Speaker 3: Orioles baseball games. I'd want to nap in between two.
Speaker 1: For all of us. That was a better outcome than strand just talking about why he's been.
Speaker 3: Hitting on right, Yeah, no, exact.
Speaker 1: The real answer is so like if.
Speaker 3: You if you can't, if you can't get something out of that, like I question your writing credentials.
Speaker 2: Basically, Jeffy, you're gonna need to explain this next one to me.
Speaker 1: What is the is this one? This is Iglesias?
Speaker 3: Oh holy Iglesias press release went out this morning. Is going to be in Buena Vista Social Club on Broadway.
Speaker 1: We haven't had enough. We haven't been athlete actor.
Speaker 3: Doing doing what singing and dancing and acting because we know.
Speaker 1: He can sing. Can you do those things?
Speaker 3: It's a Broadway, it's a musical. It's not like that people it's like the acting. I'm not shoting on musical. I'm just saying he doesn't have to be like you know, Laurence Olivier.
Speaker 1: Sure, yeah, it's not Himlet yeah, all right.
Speaker 3: I don't like No, I don't know how involved he is.
Speaker 2: There's there's a there's a role in Chicago that they give to famous people just to get people to the to the box office. That is like not like you got to be able to do a little bit, but not that much like reality TV stars keep getting this role.
Speaker 3: All right, he is joining the company as the narrator.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, so it feels maybe a little more stuntish.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I mean I'm not particularly so. I don't know how involved it is, but.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I I hope he ends up pushing this. Yeah, go for it, man, like yeah, not to not just stunt roles. I would love them. As Patrick said, let's get some athlete to to after.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe this is a gateway for him.
Speaker 3: Shawn Lynch like there's not in him.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, and he kind of just plays marsha on Lynch. No, it's good, don't get me wrong. I watched Murdertown. I enjoyed it.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: The last, the last one I'm thinking before marsha On Lynch is uh not someone I want to bring up. So yeah, let's get some more. Let's get let's get a different set at Jim Brown. Jim Brown, what down till dusk or something? I'm skipping a notable another notable football running back in between.
Speaker 1: Don't worry. Yeah, I mean there's Berlin Olson like belove what Merlin like? He used to be? Football players were constantly on TV, right, Merlin Olson, Alex Carris, Merlin Olsen. He was a aligneman. He was like an all pro lineman, like a Hall of Famer. Okay, he's the Hall of Fame. Like, I don't even know that.
Speaker 3: A had a lot of football movies too. You have Brian's on you like North Dallas forty. You had a lot of football movies in the seventies. I feelah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Back to baseball. Yeah, but staying in New York. MLB is cracking down on Jose Cavallero's bullshit. Now, I saw that. I don't I don't know what he's doing. I saw someone saying found a loophole, but I don't how many.
Speaker 3: What it does is he waits. So you have to make it with a picture, I think with eight seconds, so that he waits until like nine seconds and then looks at the picture immediately. But I for me, this isn't any different than the picture holding it until the apsolute last second either, right like it allowed No one does, Yeah, most people don't.
Speaker 2: But I mean you mean like the last second till the clock runs out. Yeah, but it feels more in the flow of things, just because pictures take a while, like batters don't.
Speaker 3: Need to write do. I think it's gainsmanship, right, Sometimes you'll get them like if he thinks like you know, you'll see like pictures being like he's not he's not looking at me to the umpire. Sometimes then you'll get him to step off.
Speaker 1: Like what's gonna happen is that Cabrio just take longer to get like the problem wasn't that he.
Speaker 2: Was taking it was that he was doing it ostentatiously well, and he was in the box and every you know, like ninety nine percent ready and holding there.
Speaker 1: I think he just takes longer to get in the box. Get in the box, and it's fine.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think the like obviously this is for play or safety, right, they don't want the pictures quick, pitching them before they're ready in the box. Because of the pitch click, everything's gonna go a little quicker. But yeah, it's like, I don't know, it's a they're gonna like they're they're gonna wait if you like, they're gonna time him right, they're gonna be like a lot of times like they're they're not gonna it's a lot like it's the delay of game. We you have to look at the clock. You look at the guy, look at the clock, look back to the guy, like you get a little bit of a great I think Caber, they're gonna be staring him down at that clock hits eight strike, buddy, Yeah, they're gonna be. He's made it to to us.
Speaker 1: I also.
Speaker 2: To your point, like, is it is it different than pictures waiting until last second? No, maybe not, but they're the ones who.
Speaker 3: Start, yeah, the action.
Speaker 2: So I also just this sucks.
Speaker 3: Yeah, It's like it's like it's just it's just this is that additive to the game in any way. It's just I don't think it's the big advantage.
Speaker 2: Ram just stop it and honestly, like I'm this is two times two pods in a row. I'm with MLB. I'm like, stop it. I'm supportive of them. Stop it with your bullshit. Stop doing your weird bullshit ship on your custom tab and your tablets and and cut this ship out. This is You could argue it's arbitrary and capricious or whatever, right, but like it's correct. Cut it out, just cut it out.
Speaker 3: We didn't think you would do this, so we didn't write it into the role.
Speaker 2: But yeah, it's it's again, it's it's uh yeah, I mean it's like you said, it's gamesmanship. It's very rules lawyering, right, and it's just fuck that the funk off with that.
Speaker 3: It feels a little bit too like the you know, you have Craig and Patrick would knows better than I would have the two kids in the car and they're doing.
Speaker 2: I was about to say, it's like and it's like just like.
Speaker 3: I'm not touching you. I'm not touching it, like the hand in the face, right.
Speaker 1: That's exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and just stop. The answer is stop.
Speaker 3: MLB will turn this car around to help.
Speaker 2: People turn this car around.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 2: Let's go to our first segment, staying on the road instead around the horn we mentioned it before Seth Halverson. Yes, the first trade deadline move. David are raised.
Speaker 3: David Peterson count as a trade.
Speaker 1: David Peterson like you, I don't know.
Speaker 3: I guess it's got to be after the All Star break to be like, that's kind of where that's fair.
Speaker 2: I think Seth Halverson to the Dodgers for Nick Frosso and Landon. You'll be surprised how he spells it. But Doric, Yeah, uh this this has a lot of hallmarks.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is this is the most on brand first deadline trade possible the.
Speaker 1: Dodgers that involves the Rockies. There's a deal involves the Rockies at all.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's it's shocking.
Speaker 1: It's new management.
Speaker 3: There are usually the Dodgers don't have to give up any thing to get an interesting Rockies reliever they described them. Yeah, uh so Saith Halverson throws very hard. Yes, does not throw a lot of strikes. The Dodger sent him immediately Triple A after this trade.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well he's on rehab.
Speaker 1: He's on the rehab. He's also like he's.
Speaker 3: Also yeah, he's been in Triple A some this year.
Speaker 1: Yes, ye, yeah, but he is.
Speaker 2: He's on the Major League injured list he is on his rehab assignment. I think they will just option to be sure.
Speaker 3: But yeah, for you know Nick Frosso who's made top one on ones in the past, and then Dark who I liked a lot out of the draft.
Speaker 2: Out of the draft. Yeah, he's the tools guy out of the draft, big tools. Except you know, Patrick, what did you say the the I forget exactly how you phrased it, but you said so, you know, it was like, we're littered.
Speaker 1: With yeah, the the the background of America littered with prospects who had everything but the hit tool.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yes, and that's exactly right.
Speaker 3: And look, the Dodgers picked him, gave him a swing change. It didn't work.
Speaker 1: It's not going well.
Speaker 3: It's not going well. So there is something to the idea that, like, if the Dodgers are giving up on a bat, there's quickly that probably tells you something.
Speaker 1: But the rock Dodgers are triting for relief.
Speaker 3: The Rockies also love Big twelve like major conference college performers.
Speaker 2: I don't think it's a bad shout.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's not a bad flyer. It's also the Rockies doing nothing well.
Speaker 1: Again, there are a lot of hallmarks.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that Frasco isn't a bad shout either. But it's also like again.
Speaker 1: And the horse was around in Los Angeles to draft Frosso, right, So that's part of this as well.
Speaker 2: Sure there are a lot of indicators in both directions here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but could it work out for Colorado?
Speaker 3: I'm striking out like forty percent of the time in the cow leagues.
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, it's it's essentially the way the Rockies are looking at it. They're trading what they see as a middle reliever for what they see as a room middle reliever and getting a getting a lottery ticket.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 1: Uh, I don't know if I see them that way.
Speaker 3: I don't think I think that's what's going to happen after.
Speaker 1: Exactly like as I wrote the t A, it's so easy to see this trade going badly for the Rockies. It's just it's so easy, like he'll just be a good reliever in Frost.
Speaker 3: I mean, the Dodgers trading with the Rockies is very much. I love this te for the Dodgers. Who they give up and who they get, Yeah, I mean.
Speaker 2: We've done this a lot with a number of the Dodgers go through guys, right, they could be something and a lot of them flame out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they might not hit on this, but like.
Speaker 2: But they could.
Speaker 3: I was going back out.
Speaker 2: And it could be worth a lot. I mean they got Michael Kopak, who was.
Speaker 3: Profile, and they look they got what they needed out of Michael Cope because they can just keep running it. Bauman was posted by this blue sky and.
Speaker 2: Like, no, no, I agree. My point is, like I think Michael Kopak is is the reference point here in the sense that like you know, maybe he'll be injured most of the time, maybe whatever, but like they got some they got the high leverage.
Speaker 3: Again, he's gonna miss a year. He's gonna have a season where he pitches to a five E r A and gets optioned a bunch and then he's gonna close out the last eight outs of a World Series. Like it's gonna be like the most like Dodgers outcome possible.
Speaker 2: And yeah, I mean he doesn't He has a fastball and not much else. Yeah, well but they also they ran this.
Speaker 1: He did just play with Jake McGee.
Speaker 3: Yeah right, it's a really good fastball, and I think they can give him a hard slide. I mean, he's still a hard slider before he could be he could be like very easily. Yeah, and with surprise.
Speaker 1: There are things to six.
Speaker 3: And it like Franco wasn't going to pitch for them between the injuries and the loss of control and whatever else, and.
Speaker 2: Like K's like they're they also, I mean the other part of the prospect, didn't they They had to like d f a frosso and then yeah yeah, so like I don't know, like he was available for free right.
Speaker 1: At one point.
Speaker 2: From the Dodgers' perspective, it's kind of like, okay.
Speaker 3: Well they had to clear the forty man spots, so they've traded Seth Howerson to do it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, so we'll you know, we'll see. Yeah, I agree with I agree with both of you. Like this has just the vibes of getting away with.
Speaker 3: It, right, Like for the Dodgers just turned into nothing. It is like for the Dodgers is probably going to be a small loss or a big win, which means for the Rockies.
Speaker 2: Right in other hard throwing relievers, Nate Pearson is a royal?
Speaker 1: Should I rip this up? I just didn't feel like writing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, I don't think you he's just he's on the he's on the track. Now right, it's Royals and then it's going to be either Rockies or Marlins.
Speaker 2: The real question is, did did you know where Nate Pearson was prior to this trade?
Speaker 3: I think we talked about him. We're doing various Astros things.
Speaker 2: Over the season we had but like generally speak.
Speaker 3: Generally speaking, now, I just.
Speaker 2: He was still in the clubs and I would have been with you.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I remember seeing something about like half the Astros guaranteed contracts this season this offseason had been released.
Speaker 2: Yeah, now what are the Royals exactly doing with the Nate Pearson.
Speaker 3: He throws hard?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean they have room room and you have Seth Alverson at home.
Speaker 3: Seth Alverson at home.
Speaker 1: I mean sometimes you just need new people to boo.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's the episode.
Speaker 2: Speaking of guys who threw a hard show. Tommy throws a bullpen again, he's not he's not pitching for the moment because of his knee. I'm assuming it was successful.
Speaker 1: The Dodgers are encouraged.
Speaker 3: Okay, great, they don't even know until the playoffs, so man, he's on he's on track to pitch for the playoffs. Then Carlos Carrasco not not back with Atlanta.
Speaker 1: Not bad with Atlanta.
Speaker 2: Patrick.
Speaker 1: Uh, yeah, so I guess, I you know, so he has been released and acquired by the Braves seven times in the pass calendar year. But I guess at this point, uh, there are just too many people ahead of him on the pecking order, like Smith Shover's back, I think, uh Strider's back, and he just you had who was the other one that was being shuttled with him? It was regardless, It like you could get the same Jared. Yeah, who I may not be as good as Carls Grascow, I don't know, I certainly more worth checking out at this point. So Crasco basically decided that maybe the gravy train, the slow, terribly crowded gravy train that he has been on u has come to an end. So he has signed with the LG Twins. The Twins are in third place in the KBO right now. There are three games back of first place where they were yesterday when I checked, Which is, you know, close enough like LG did win it all last year, they're close enough to be contending and so we might. I was trying to think about this, is this the first time we have a chance at a player getting two championship rings in the same season. We always talk about the guys who would get a ring no matter what because they're on both. Yes, your tailored trails, unless there's I mean, I don't want to count like winter leagues because then anybody could do that, right, But has there any Has there been anybody playing in two different summer leagues in two different countries that got championship rings for both?
Speaker 3: Yeah, probably be like a Mexican league.
Speaker 1: The Mexican League is the one that felt like the most likely.
Speaker 3: That the Nationals were still bad when they had jeffet Amaturs.
Speaker 1: Never mind. Yeah, I don't think anyone's ever done it in an Asian league. Yeah, because most of the time, coming over midseason is rare. Although for the KBO it feels like it's happening more, mostly because I think more players are willing to do it. I don't feel like a lot of people would have taken three hundred and sixty thousand dollars to fly to Korea for two months ten years ago. I will, I'll do it. Well, yeah, you know, but also I think that like the KBO was also better at cars.
Speaker 3: Also just like strikes me as a guy that's just gonna keep pitching as long as something will pay him.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I could see him the CPB on next year, yeah, right.
Speaker 3: Like that, or like the Ice Crene League, or he's gonna he's gonna pay forty forty you're gonna pitch winter ball to him, and Rahadamus Liz are going to pitch winter ball to they're like forty five dueling.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so yeah, good friend.
Speaker 2: Okay, they are different ages, right are they the same?
Speaker 1: Age?
Speaker 2: Is Redonis Liz that old?
Speaker 3: They might be? Well check out they were projected about. Let's look at this they were pected.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, oh my god.
Speaker 2: Maybe it's just because he never made it, Like Wheredonmis Liz feels younger.
Speaker 1: Liz is forty two.
Speaker 3: Now he's at all lots.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Redonmis Liz is forty two.
Speaker 1: I mean he debuted in two thousand and seven.
Speaker 3: Oh but that I mean Carrasco thousand and nine and.
Speaker 1: He's still pitching. He's got a four to seven eight year Oh.
Speaker 3: He's definitely still pitching.
Speaker 1: That was again, yeah, oh my god.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, some people again like he just he left my consciousness and like I just never updated. And also like two thousand and seven and twenty twelve are the same.
Speaker 3: Me sure?
Speaker 2: All right? Uh. Lastly, Garrett, speaking of of being back for the playoffs, Jeff Garrett Crochet plans to be back by the playoffs, okay, which the.
Speaker 1: Red Sox now might be a factor into.
Speaker 3: We do have one little bit of breaking news that well we hadn't mentioned on the pod. I wouldn't have brought it up because it's not that important. But Patrick Corbyn will not finish the year as the I mean the third most starts on the Jays. He is at the Ayah where they left terrace major strain.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm. That's tough.
Speaker 2: That's like your shoulder slash o bleak area, right, I believe.
Speaker 3: It's like not it's your lap, but not your lap.
Speaker 1: On that note, we'll go to our game, all right. Let's uh, let's bring it down a little bit. I know, last last time.
Speaker 2: I got I got a message, I got a message that said, like you had a full meltdown, you a full meltdown, and this is I don't want to say to people, but this person loved it. So we're gonna my My argument back, by the way, was just that I really what what when I felt I really really lost. It was when you started taunting me about the score. No, you didn't, just it wasn't It wasn't an outward taunt. It was just updating the score. Look, it's an audio medium, and there's note we can't.
Speaker 1: We don't have a question.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you got your egg timer. It only comes up when I'm trailing and have no prayer and you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, look I learned for the best, you know, Red Barber. Yeah, all right, So this is the seventh fifty club. We haven't played this in one So just to remind the listeners, I'm going to name off twelve players and you're gonna me if their career OPS is above or below seven to fifty?
Speaker 2: Are any of them active? Y? You want to bring you want to bring down the temperature with this game. If you say andres is to me, I'm walking away. Oh it's not even He's not even close. Its first of all, that was seven hundred.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: By the way, he's not close to seven hundred anymore either. There are a few vindicated There are a few active players on this list, So beware, all right, you'll both I don't care you guys can take turns going first on this. Uh, the first one is Jimmy Rawlins. Mm hmm, Greig, what do.
Speaker 2: You think I'm gonna I'm gonna say, yes, okay, over over, sorry over.
Speaker 3: I So he was never like a high ops titter at his peak, but he also didn't have a tike. He got traded thes and I was just pretty much done. So I'm gonna stay over.
Speaker 1: It's like seven sixty, okay, so we'll go ahead and start off at zero zero because it was seven forty three.
Speaker 3: Okay, sure, longer to climb period, that's range.
Speaker 2: I just I thought all those all those he wasn't a homer guy necessarily, all those extra base hits.
Speaker 1: He did have, so it was a full year of his peak was basically until two.
Speaker 2: I just thought it was just like a relatively decent time for often but I guess a lot of that like twenty fourteen, twenty thirteen, twenty four horrible for offense.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and which disguised him. Actually he had decent. Yeah, he had no PS plus one hundred and twenty fourteen, which was seven seventeen, but he uh right, but that he had, Yeah, he hadn't been above one o four since like his twenty age twenty eight seasons so.
Speaker 3: Long, longer to climb period than I thought.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it doesn't shock me, but yeah, Jeff.
Speaker 1: Ramon Lauri.
Speaker 3: Man so the opposite of Jimmy Rowlands that it's gone off recently.
Speaker 1: Uh tough year, not real recently, Yeah.
Speaker 3: Not real recently. I like, I feel like Loreano's more of a part time player when he's bad and a full time player when he's good. So I'll say over, okay, Craig, Yeah, I just feel like he just had, like I'm gonna say, his best two seasons were like significantly better than Rowinds, I don't know, PS spaces.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he, I mean he also had a number of I don't know, I'm I'm gonna say under. But this is another one to me where it wouldn't surprise me if it's over.
Speaker 1: I mean, like, I'm not gonna get mad. I'm gonna say, uh, Jeff takes the lead. It is seven sixty. Loreanno's career is interesting in that his decline wasn't as bad or for as long as it feels like his ops plus year ninety eight, one eleven, ninety four, eighty nine, one oh seven, one thirty seven and now eighty three. So it did feel like forever did he suck?
Speaker 3: But it was really like just it's also like he's a corner outfielder too, so like those guys when it when those ops's rops like so hard, it's like I have a boss this guy.
Speaker 1: All right, number three, Craig your first Patrick Wisdom?
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, I don't for I don't want to know. I just how many plate appearances as Patrick Wisdom.
Speaker 1: This year, Marri's this year? Four?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 2: How many plate appearances does he have in his career?
Speaker 1: One than five hundred and seventeen?
Speaker 2: Okay, I thought there was a chance it was under one thousand he had.
Speaker 1: Basically, you're two and a half full seasons. That comes.
Speaker 3: In my head. I can't imagine I'm having a full season with an OPS over seven fifty.
Speaker 2: So this is I have my head in my hand. Yeah, listeners, this is.
Speaker 3: I like how Patrick said there'd be some players that were active, and.
Speaker 2: My problem it's it's just one of those things. He has had those obviously very very hot streaks, right, but like then he's so bad.
Speaker 3: It's very very hot streaks. His OBP is like three ten two.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but the slug in. I mean, like he's so bad that he then gets sent to the miners or cut immediately. I also just I've been wrong foot. I mean like I'm on the wrong foot constantly here and now. But now I don't know. Patrick's in my head already. I I can't nothing in my in my head content. I agree with like it seems like like it has to be under. But I also like, you're putting in here and I I don't know you. You've spun me around. I'm completely I'm dizzy already. I'm gonna say over fuck it.
Speaker 3: I don't know under.
Speaker 1: I'm lost.
Speaker 2: I'm going to go zero for this entire exercise, and.
Speaker 1: You're going under. Jeff, Yeah, okay, yeah he might. It's too nothing. It is under seven points. I will say Patrick more home runs.
Speaker 3: Than Jimmy Rollins.
Speaker 1: Then well no, but Jake Cronenworth, Alec Bohm, c j Abrams, Kerry Carpenter, he has eighty nine career what does.
Speaker 3: He actually hit for the Mariners this year?
Speaker 1: Out of curious he has hit very badly for the Mariners. He won at the single home run. It's it's amazing that he is was in baseball this year. Yeah, No, he's been bad.
Speaker 3: Would rather have Ham or Buddy Kennedy.
Speaker 2: Though he hit twenty eight career runs, what was his career number?
Speaker 1: Seven forty? Okay, all right, next one, Jeff your first masta take Yashida.
Speaker 3: I've actually looked at his I don't I don't know he's doing this year for the problem, but he's like exactly like a one oh eight ops guy and Fenway.
Speaker 1: A lot of OBP generally speaking.
Speaker 3: I think that's enough to get him over seven fifty. Say over. I don't feel great about it. Okay, it's also possibly is like a six forty this year that's knocked him under. But I'm not going to complain about it, like Craig with andres Semennez.
Speaker 2: I'm just gonna my My issue with not with Andrew Simenaz was not what he had done on the season.
Speaker 1: It was the night before. I didn't even think that game like your grand would be more.
Speaker 3: Legitimate, Jo Capiro gamesmanship here.
Speaker 2: Would be more legitimate if what I wasn't the one who put him that is in the game.
Speaker 3: I was.
Speaker 1: It was me.
Speaker 3: He just went back and looked up that.
Speaker 2: I just that was the problem.
Speaker 1: The problem was opening someone's fat. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Look, it's like on Jeopardy, you're allowed to like the they're allowed to go back and change the like change the answer for Jeopardy in the commercial break, just.
Speaker 1: Shut your mouth past would you like, Craig, would you like to say that you must have talked? She is above or below? Hello? All right, well it's three nothing that she has a seven fifty eight. He's done quite, he's fun fine. This year he has a career one on nine E P bus and is this year it's we.
Speaker 2: Don't have to update the score after everything.
Speaker 1: Okay, Uh BJ Sirhoff, Craig, your first.
Speaker 3: I had so many BJ sir Hoff baseball cards.
Speaker 1: You sure did, because he was around forever.
Speaker 2: Also, like he had like a really good years in Oriole, which I was, he did exposed to a lot as a Maryland Marylander. And like, I don't know if that's completely skewed my recollection of his entire I don't go look at his entire career. Yeah, so in my head it's over. But boy, I don't know, I don't know. Uh sure, I'll go over whatever, Okay, Jeff.
Speaker 3: I'm going to default to the my role for late eighties early nineties catchers and just stay under Yeah.
Speaker 1: It's it's easy to remember. Forget how long he caught, yeah, because nobody brings him up as one of the catcher conversions along Craig Beg You. But he was a primary catcher for like six years and he he hit like yeah, uh he was good at an oriole. He was good in the middle of his career, but very very long. Uh, yeah he was.
Speaker 2: And I knew he was bad after Like, but you know, I have no I had no idea, all right, Jeff Jeff Blauser.
Speaker 3: You know again a guy I definitely watched play for those Braves teams and young. I feel like I don't know anything about Jeff Blauser, like like nothing, like no cremated me about Jeff Blauser. I don't even know what kind of hitter he was. I don't think a very good one. But he also had like I think he had like the weird clutch gene or whatever. I think we remember that people saying that about him. I will say, Jeff, I will say.
Speaker 1: Under ours, Okay, I was confusing. You said which Jeff, Jeff Flaser? He said, under this is the Braves.
Speaker 2: Then I'm gonna say over, I don't. I mean, I don't know, but I might as well try it, and it's a wise choice. You're on the board.
Speaker 1: Jeff Blauser is surprisingly could here.
Speaker 3: I would have said, I just like he struck me like it was like a good OBP guy. Yeah, really good for Jeff Blauser. Jeff Blauser, And I.
Speaker 2: Would have said under if I was going for, I just took the opposite.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, Next one, Craig Stephen Drew. Oh, imagine.
Speaker 3: Stephen. Stephen Drew is like the perfect seven fifty club guy. I don't know who the perfect seven hundred club guy is, maybe Willie Bloomquist, but like I think Stephen Drew.
Speaker 1: Is, yeah, not no more.
Speaker 3: All right, I'm gonna introduce in there.
Speaker 2: So I'm gonna take this is again. I've I've I've basically thrown in the towel. This is I'm taking under on my vibes of Stephen Drew just being largely very disappointed. I understand that the context of the era, and I know he had some good seasons, but like I I kind of remember people being like, oh Stephen, you know, Stephen Drew having a good year, and I look at the slash line and be like, this doesn't seem that good.
Speaker 3: Remember, he and Michael Bourne were the two big free like free agents se Mets were linked to that one off season. Liked Michael Bourne, I like, I like in my head, Stephen Drew had like one random, like eight eighty ops season for the Diamondbacks in there, and then she's just a question of did he play enough around it to drag that under seven to fifty. I think he did, so I'm gonna go under.
Speaker 1: All right, you're both correct at seven forty one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he had a few, like I remember, I see, I feel like even his good seasons were like eight hundred.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he had a couple of eight thirties. Okay, Okay, he had a very good season with the Nats in twenty sixteen. It was only one hundred and forty three played appearances, but we all remember to sixty six three thirty nine four in small a short sample. But yeah, no, not for good, all right, Jeff Typhrance, this is the honestly he might see the seven fifty.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is like the most like two ninety obp four to fifty slid guy possible. And it's just like what's the what's the thousand steps of all there?
Speaker 1: He or not.
Speaker 3: He's been good. I'm gonna he's been good enough to this year. I think he's I think he's like just over, he's gone back.
Speaker 1: Over, right, Craig.
Speaker 3: All right, if Craig, if Craig gets us right, I'm gonna double check it immediately on baseball references he played yesterday.
Speaker 2: I'm I'm just gonna take I'm gonna I should just be opposite Jeff at every opportunity.
Speaker 1: So I'm just gonna take the under I could. All right, Craig, again your strates to prove correct. Even though France has been excellent. This here, his ope ops is seven forty five. Because it's been a while since home runs over. Yeah, no, I I what is the.
Speaker 3: Current out of curiosity? What is the current career OBP and slug.
Speaker 1: It's his line is two sixty three three thirty.
Speaker 3: Four, fourth higher OBP than I would have guessed. He has not he's not been that guy for a while, in a couple of years.
Speaker 1: All right, So Craig, you were It's currently three to five, so you're still in it. There are four left. Uh you're first, though, and this one is going to be Jason Kendall.
Speaker 3: Wow, Jesus, I have to break my early nineties catch.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say the catcher just laid down a nice little maximum for catchers.
Speaker 3: But what was an offense first catcher?
Speaker 1: Though?
Speaker 2: He wasn't like he.
Speaker 3: Played the field in the Yes, yes, he did not a lot.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna go under.
Speaker 3: He feels like another good parameter. Heels like it's a three eighty OBP three seventy slug Like it's kind of like Jason Kendall.
Speaker 1: That's it. That's a good one. That's a good one.
Speaker 3: If he had like a recently long decline period though, or yeah, people just kept.
Speaker 2: Played a long time he had played, especially after the ankle injury too.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna stay under.
Speaker 1: Okay, you're both correct. It is uh seven forty four. Uh So Jason Kendall as a pirate in his career, slashed three oh six, three eighty seven four eighteen for an eight oh five.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was really good.
Speaker 1: Oy uh after period Brewers, he was with the he was with the Athletics, Cubs, Brewers, and Royals. Let me reload and calculate his post Pittsburgh Ops gonna be His line was two sixty three thirty three, three eighteen for a six fifty one.
Speaker 3: Didn't have like ankle the ankle issues.
Speaker 2: That was yeasty play break yeah, all right, three to go, h Jeff your first.
Speaker 1: Willie Thomas.
Speaker 3: Another one that could be shame and it's going to arm from over to under for.
Speaker 1: The fourth time. This ye this game.
Speaker 2: This might be the seven bad.
Speaker 3: He won't be in a few years, but right now he might be. Ah, man, I'm gonna say over, Okay, right, yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean I guess I should just say on.
Speaker 1: You should, but it's wrong in this case. That's fine, that's way. Yeah fifty seven, last two years been seven forty and seven twelve. So he's dragging it down, but not that enough.
Speaker 2: I think I would have said over if I was going first.
Speaker 1: But that's that. That's a type one, all right. Craig Garrett Cooper.
Speaker 3: Does he have a thousand plate appearances?
Speaker 1: One thousand nine?
Speaker 2: Me about wes Helms next, Hooper, what do you think for West Elms?
Speaker 3: There's no way Garrett Hooper has two thousand plates.
Speaker 1: I know he does. West Alms are three thousand.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what do I think about wes Helens?
Speaker 1: I think under.
Speaker 2: I guess for well Helms, Yeah, you'd be seven twenty get a bonus one. Garrett Cooper. I guess, Garrett Cooper.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: You're doing over no no, no under on the letter.
Speaker 3: Okay, I actually think it might be over. I might be letting Craig back in, but.
Speaker 1: All right, uh no, you're not because Gary Cooper has an ope.
Speaker 3: My argument was basically, once he told me his two thousand plate appearances, like he had to be good enough to like, you're just not employing Gary Cooper if he's under that seven fifty. He also like, why would you yeah short.
Speaker 1: Right, yeah, he only like and he was fine.
Speaker 2: For That's how I felt about Patrick Wiz is.
Speaker 3: Also a platoon guy too, so that's why he's not like really facing yep, yeah, all.
Speaker 1: Right, and then finally, uh.
Speaker 3: Am I going first? Ye first under. He had the great season and then he was which was like I think.
Speaker 2: I was like, it doesn't it doesn't matter. I guess it doesn't. Yeah, I'm gonna go under.
Speaker 1: Also, all right, you're both incorrect. It is seven really, yeah, he just and even his good year, his All Star year, was one of the lowest ops's of his career. Really he had a seven thirty eight his rookie season went up to seven ninety six eight h nine seven, And they think a.
Speaker 3: Great first half that year? Is that what that was?
Speaker 1: And then he thinks, so, I think, so, let's see games split.
Speaker 3: More than I thought.
Speaker 1: First half of two thousand and eight. Yeah, he had seven ninety one ops in the first half and a six thirty nine and second half.
Speaker 3: Now, but whatever, All.
Speaker 1: Star games are done, they should do him in the end of the year.
Speaker 2: Whatever we we got called old man yelling at a cloud.
Speaker 1: Everything about the Ulstar game is also done. But the Alstar game itself, in the voting system is done. They should usually like, all right, keep the game there, fine the game. It's a good location for a game. The break is good. I like the idea of the break. Make an award system, like, don't don't use all.
Speaker 2: It should be last year's full year All Stars.
Speaker 3: That's an interesting way to do it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, pull you know, and then pull Justin Burley. Imagine pulling Justin Burle and out of retirement six months from the nine months from now to be like, hey, Bud, it's an exhibition.
Speaker 3: I mean you then still do him you can still like the commissioner's pick whatever, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's an exhibition.
Speaker 1: Why not.
Speaker 2: I think that would be fun.
Speaker 1: I think.
Speaker 2: He'd have to start like warming up three months in advance.
Speaker 1: Come on, congratulations, Jeff, you win? Yes, four congratulations Jeff uh thank you.
Speaker 3: I couldn't have done it without the support of Andre Samenez.
Speaker 1: It's always there watching.
Speaker 2: Thank you for the game, Patrick. Thank you to our listeners for joining us on another episode of five and Dive brought to you by the Baseball Perspectives podcast Network. You can get in touch with the show at five and Dive at Baseball perspectives dot com. We are wherever you get your podcasts. Search for Baseball Perspectives Podcast Network and we'll be in that feed. If you enjoy what you're doing, feel free to give us a five star rating and a review, or just the rating. We'll take that too. I noticed some people did after my last requests. I really appreciate that. If you've been waiting for the pod to be over, your time is done.