Speaker 1: Hi, this is Ray Brown from Owings, Maryland, and I play golf at swan Point Country Club. Welcome to Golf Smarter.
Speaker 2: Hi.
Speaker 1: This is Joe A. Spinoza from Austin, Texas and I play at Mill Creek in.
Speaker 2: Toledo, Texas.
Speaker 1: It's a Golf Smarter number one thousand, nineteen. During the pre shot routine, when you're choosing your spot, there is a course management part of playing where you absolutely want to hit it or miss it in a certain area. There's incredible amounts of strokes that can be shaved off your game simply by picking the right place to go. However, there's a moment at which you're thinking has to change from where the ball is going to end up to the task at hand, which is the only thing you can affect, which is the ball that's in front of you. So your target is actually the ball. All of the pre shot routine part is you deciding where you want to try to hit that ball, but you can't affect where it's going to go. You can't affect what's going to happen over there. You can get it started, but you can only get it started in the two feet on either side.
Speaker 2: That matters. But is the ball the target?
Speaker 1: Absolutely it is. By the time you're hitting the ball is the target.
Speaker 2: It's time to make golf fun again, starting at the ball and moving backwards with David Buck.
Speaker 1: This is Golf Smarter, sharing stories, tips and insights from great golf minds to help you lower your score and raise your golf IQ. There's your host, Fred Green.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the Golf Smarter Podcast.
Speaker 1: David, thank you very much.
Speaker 2: It's great to have you on this show. This is going to be a silly conversation. I have a feeling just for our three minutes of prap.
Speaker 1: Well, I have two languages. I've got English and I've got sarcasms. So that's that's really all I got to work.
Speaker 2: With, Bill, Well, I have just by listening to your voice a little bit, I censor your Canadian.
Speaker 1: I am Canadian, I can Leona. I can put on the Canadian accident real sharp if you want to e but I need a bit of able to do that.
Speaker 2: Well, so the English and sarcasm is actually speaking Canadian.
Speaker 1: It's just natural. We don't even hold a candle towards the Australians. They're just a level higher.
Speaker 2: So it's so true it's so true. Let's get a little bit of your background in golf so that we can establish the craziness that we're going to learn about from you in a little bit.
Speaker 1: Sure. So, basically, I used to play baseball, and my brother broke his knee playing baseball, and I really didn't want to do what my brother did. You know, you try to learn from your elders. And I didn't want to play a sport like football or hockey or baseball. I was going to get hurt, so I quit the baseball and a buddy of mine this in the seventh grade, when I was thirteen years old, said well, I got a junior membership the course of summer. It's three hundred bucks. My mom's driving me out anyways, why don't you come join me. I never played golf before. I mean, this is going back a few years. This is in the early nineties, and a golf at that point was a you know, it was the nerd game. It's like, nobody plays golf unless you got.
Speaker 2: Just before Tiger Both at the scene it was.
Speaker 1: Greg Norman era, right, and it was it was uh yeah, and I mean titleist was was on the forefront. They were just I started still using bellattas and DT wounds. So when the prov came out that was that was quite a thing. But we played all summer, and then we played all summer next summer, and then we thought, hey, well maybe I should, you know, get a coach and start doing this more seriously. And we made some really good decisions in there. And I'm sure I don't know about you. I'm only five seven, and I mean, especially back in the day, we didn't have distance, we didn't have distance clinics teaching you how to hit it further. You had what you had, and you played it. And I hit the ball about two hundred and sixty yards and hit driver everywhere. And my my parents sat down and said, you know what, I you know, I think you've got something here, But don't play tournaments yet, don't don't get in with the guys who are physically bigger than you. And so we took an entire year there at sixteen and played no tournaments and did nothing but practiced some drills and short game and putting and playing. And by the time I was seventeen started playing tournaments. I was I jumped right up into the Canadian junior rankings and was playing the Canadian Juniors and then qualified for the World Juniors for two years or he's going back for you two or three years, played Overseas a little bit over and over in Asia as a junior, even got some invites to some things over there. Went to school in California and had a very short stay at the school due to some disagreements between the coach and I and turn Pro. From there my brother. My brother was out playing chasing mini tours and Monday qualifiers at that point, so I went out and joined him and turn Pro ended up playing for three years and it was absolutely wonderful and learned all sorts of stuff and had incredible heartbreak and incredible triumph and all the things that golf golf gives to you. Uh. Then then I I I left it. I left it and and uh, you know, as I say, I left it in a way that I wasn't, you know, I was. I made the choice. It was my choice, but it was you know, you look back on it and say, ah, what if you could have thin done things differently? And I gave up the game completely for a number of years, and then you know, you get to a point where you're not able to do what you used to be able to do. And so that's just it's just it's just frustration. And so it took me a few years to learn to enjoy the game again, and I did, And long story short, now, I mean there's no place I would rather be than on the first T, not the eighteenth green, because then the rounds over the first T, you know, the with the with the upcoming ground of go. But you know, through my through my teaching, through my experience, you know, I think the things a little bit differently maybe than some. And I've had I had a few instans is in my career where I got you know, I got a five minute lesson from somebody that changed my golfing life. And well it's not it's not a matter of complicated. It's a matter of being able to understand what has to happen here and allowing our bodies to actually do it. So now I play golf. I raised my kids up there are nine and twelve, and learn how to play pretty well if you ask me. But I am biased, and I coach others and help people, and my main, my main goal is to help people enjoy the game more so if that means enjoying the game more through lower strokes, fantastic. If it means enjoying the game by stopping the shanks or curing the yips, then great, fantastic. If it means that we were talking about before we start, you're the mental hurdle of getting through. You know, Hey, this thing's got to get to there somehow, and I want to do it more joyfully. It's the best place in the world when you have contentment and joy also, but it can also be the worst place when you're frustrated and shanking it into the woods. Of course, anyways, that gives you, That gives little synopsis.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so like I, you know, not the eighteenth green. I've always felt like seventeenth t is like, to me, the most depressing thing. We're almost I don't want to I don't want to go home. I like it here.
Speaker 1: Let me play another eighteen?
Speaker 2: Yeah exactly, No, not anymore. Cannot do thirty six in a day? What Wait, what happened to you? You went on and became a competitive and good golfer. But what happened to that first friend who invited you out? He got the three hundred dollars and his mom was driving.
Speaker 1: Yeah, parted ways. We parted ways as at about eighteen. And it's funny. I've reached out to him a couple of times but haven't heard back. He's now a lawyer, and even if you go to his website, he's like, yeah, I do you know, I do laf for for big corporation litigation and in my off time, I'm working on my golf game.
Speaker 2: Still he's still working on it.
Speaker 1: The most entertaining thing about the whole thing is it does not matter what level of golf you're at. If you're a beginner junior year in two, three, four, or you're a seasoned pro or you know, I've had a lifetime of golf. You hear something and you're like, I gotta go try it out. And I remember one time this guy, this guy, we were seventeen years old, and we were on the first tea and he had read somewhere in Golf Digest or something that you should have your your feet open a little bit more. And he's like, guys, I finally figured out how to cure my hook. I've got it. I've figured it out. And he stands up on the first tee and his feet were splayed almost fully open right down.
Speaker 2: Balat position, ballets first position.
Speaker 1: I mean, we're laughing before he's even started, just kind of chuckling underneath our breath. And he stands up on the tee there and he rope hooks one like sixty yards to the left, out of bounds into the driving right. He's like, oh, maybe i'n't fixed it yet.
Speaker 2: You talked about the lows and the highs, but you said in edible triumphs, share that.
Speaker 1: I got to share the first one with you. And the first one happened when I was sixteen years old and I was playing shally they paid played the ninety seven PGA Championship there there was I was. This was nineteen ninety eight and we were playing a pro am there and I was an am obviously, I was a junior at the time, and I double bogie the first hole after hitting just a beautiful shot right over the flagstick, pried in the back bunker, and you know, didn't get a long story, short part of the second hole, bogie the third hole, I'm three over part. From then on went on to make seven birdies in an albatross, won the tournament by four strokes.
Speaker 2: And that which hole.
Speaker 1: Part It was fifteen number number fifteen, Part five. I went driver, Driver, Driver into the cup.
Speaker 2: Driver driver. You had driver into the cup from how far away.
Speaker 1: I'm I'm gonna say it was probably two sixty five low off hill, front left pin pulass placement. I watched it go in, and you know, I watched it go in and it's like your eyes, you don't believe it. And so the guys are back there in the fairway, you know, hit, I said, guys, I think that went in. I just start running up to the.
Speaker 2: Hole and driver off the deck right.
Speaker 1: I'm playing. I found one online. I found on an eBay an old driver, the one that I had, and it was called a speed slot and it was.
Speaker 2: Great driver.
Speaker 1: It was fantastic.
Speaker 2: I had a little bit heard about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I had this little like low point on it. It was really easy to hit off the deck. I watched it go in, ran up there, I'm by myself, there's nobody around, looked down into the cup there and is sitting right there the next hole. And my dad was in the same group that because it was a pro am thing. So it was a group of us from one club coming up to play, and so in the sixteenth hole is a downhill dog leg right. I had one hundred and sixty five yards left, which was a six iron for me at that point, and pen was back right on the next hole, and my dad whispered, assuming, let's see what you really made of now, And I remember standing over that ball still is one of the best shots I've ever hit. Yeah, I just made albatrosses hole. But that next I piped it down the middle. I had one hundred and sixty five left. I had a little choke down punch cut six iron. Just it was I knew it. I mean even when he was said it, he's like, I said, no, it's this is going to be perfect. I'm not going to miss this. This is and those moments, those moments when you're on the course and everything's just easy. Oh so anyways, that was my first professional win, even though I wasn't professional at the time, and I had Yeah, I had twelve professional wins over the time, usually small events. But the you know, the joy of winning never never ceases. Where there's whether there's three hundred people in the field or ten.
Speaker 2: So is it an amazing how one shot can just lock into your memory forever?
Speaker 1: Yep, yep, and and and unfortunately it goes the other way too. There's some some shots that have locked in the wrong way to do there was let me give you the flip side of that. For whatever reason, and tournament play me teeing off of the three wood never worked. I couldn't hit the tea the three wood just in the first hole, whatever the pressure was. I could hit an iron, I could hit I could hit it, I get hit it in a part of three I hit driver, but I couldn't hit three wood. I always top it, Okay, And I'm planning this event down in Louisiana, and sure enough, I'm like, no, the play is of three wood. I'll play the three wood. I got to get over this thing. It's not a big deal. It was a titleist nine to seventy two, the little red, gray and red lined title of three wood. And I hit it, and of course I topped it. Didn't even get to the white teas like. It was just awful. And the tournament organizer says to the guy. There's a guy standing next to the tournament organizer, and he says, why do you like, why do you let guys like this play in these events? Like this is, this is, this is kind of embarrassing, and the tournament organizer says to him, you just watch, he'll come in with the sixty seven. I'm sure I came in with the sixty seventh, but yes, I can still feel all of those tops off the first team. It's probably only five times I took a three foot off the tee because of that. But they burn both ways.
Speaker 2: The great shots are always worth talking about. The bad shots linger in your head and terrify you when you're coming up to a similar shot or something, and people are always oh, I, always oh I every time you know my three? Would I top it? And you know, you get that stuff going in your head. And I'm always trying to remind my friends, hey, history has nothing to do with your next shot. Just you do your swing the way you do you and don't think about that. How do we prevent that? How do we keep our minds straight without getting nuts about that stuff?
Speaker 1: I could probably touch on that now a few years later.
Speaker 2: Please do.
Speaker 1: One of the greats. And this I cannot I can't find who said it, but it was not me said when pressure picks up, the process takes over. I don't know if you've heard that over the years. Bytimes, pressure is a fear of the unknown. It's either we haven't been in that situation before, we haven't prepared for that situation. There's unknowns that we don't know. And I relate it back to skydiving. First time you go skydiving I've ever been, it's really scary. I mean, you're jumping out of a plane, trusting a parachute to take you to the ground. But the hundredth time that you've done it, and you've learned how to pack your shoot, and you know where all the cords are, and you know what it's going to feel like when you jump out of the plane and how long you're going to be in the air, and how to breathe with the wind coming in your face, and there's no more unknowns, there's no fear. So that knowledge actually conquers the fear and it is able to take over to the point where you can do crazy stuff not being afraid because you have enough knowledge to take over. But you see these guys that are seasoned pros in the Ryder Cup coming down the stretch at Majors in an unknown position that they hadn't prepared for. That they have questions that haven't answered. Maybe the question is am I going to hit at a club further because I'm jew straight now? Or is it? You know, there's there's unknowns. But if you get there enough times and you and you do the same thing over and over enough, that allows you to overcome the fear and the pressure and be able to focus on the thing they actually have focused on. So for me, when I when I explain this to people, which is strangely quite often because the mental game is such a huge part of golf. It comes in the pre shot routine and the repetition of that pre shout routine over and over and over, and you're trusting the process of getting the ball so that when you're over the ball, all you're thinking is center of the ball, center to club face, hit them. I can do that. What I can't do is listen to the crowd and the situation. And you know, I've got a I've got a putt for If I make this putt, I will. Oh. Now you've added more stuff into your mind. You've added more details that you have don't have answers for, and that causes stress, which causes pressure, and as you know, at tension is the killer of the golf game. So with the knowledge of being able to answer all of your questions before you get up there where club wind, where you want to hit it, where it's going to land, what you're trying to do, make those decisions. You don't have to think about them anymore. Then you go through your process of lining up, which all happens very quickly as you're going through your pre shot routine. I know I'm lined up, I know my club face is square, I know what shot I'm hitting. There's no more questions I have. All I have to do is center of ball, center of face.
Speaker 2: We don't doubt our process. What gets into our head is results right, and that's what gets in the way of process. Well we have we do all our process, and we do it right, and all of a sudden you're shanking it or you're you know, it's gone in the way. It can do any number of things. And I also have a yabbut for your skydiver. Okay, with golf, there's a lot of mistakes that can be in your memory bank about what's going to happen next. But the yabbo for the sky driver, the skydiver is one bat one mistake, and he's not going to remember what he's doing because he ain't doing it again. So let's let's leave the skydiving to someone else. It's not Golf is worrisome and stressful, but it's not hopefully not dangerous to hope not.
Speaker 1: But I'm pretty sure a few of us have been hit by arron golf balls over the years.
Speaker 2: But knock on wood, so far not yet.
Speaker 1: Oh good for you.
Speaker 2: You mean you have Oh yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's a few people in my family who have been hit by golf.
Speaker 2: I live next to a I have a golf hole right here, I'm right in driving range, and I get balls all the time. And luckily, in the thirteen years we've lived here, only one person's been hit and it was just a brush off of a bounce, so brush on their arm off the bount So so far, so good on that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but yes, you're right, there are yabbuts, and it's hard because we're human. We get stuff in our minds, we get we want to win, and then we change our target. We change our target from the ball that's in front of us to the pin that's over there, or I haven't forbid the water that's left of that that's typically where.
Speaker 2: So you're really big on making golf fun again, right, and many methods to do that. But I need some advice and I'm glad you're here to help me out on this because just today my wife, who doesn't play golf, she's she's taken a golf lesson for twelve she's played nine holes a couple times, but she doesn't really have a lot of interest in playing golf. She likes to hike and I like, and I say all the time, I like to hike too, just every so often I want to hit something right, so I walk when I play golf today and is she listening now? Okay, today she announces to me, I want to play golf with you again. I would like to go back now. I'm interested in going back out and playing with you again. I'm like, but you know, we've got a net back here. We can we can work a little bit on the net, and you know, have you take a call? No, no, no, I just want to go out. It's just to have fun. I don't want lessons. I just and I'm happy to pick up the ball. How do I make that fun for me? How to give me some advice of what I can do to not get caught up because I'm not going to give lessons during the round. I'm like, oh, good shot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it doesn't want your lessons spread.
Speaker 2: So no, no, no, no, absolutely not. I'm a big advocate of keeping with your kid or your spouse, keep your mouth shut when you're out on the golf course.
Speaker 1: Just you know, I'm going to have to jump into a philosophical rant than bread.
Speaker 2: Go for it, David, let's do it.
Speaker 1: It all has to do with your expectations. And you go out on a golf course and it's just you or you and the guys. You have a certain expectation what's going to happen during the round. You're going to go play. You're trying to, you know, beat your best score. You're trying to, you know, make pars, you're trying to hit good shots. You're jabbering about each other's golf shots. And then there's a certain, shall we say, environ that goes with playing with the guys. I have recently spent quite a bit of time beside golf courses just listening to groups, going by the language, the sarcasm, the jabbing, the ribbing that happens in these golf groups is very, very strong and prominent until you get a husband and wife with another husband and wife coming by, and then there's no more ribbing, and there's no more jabbing, and then there's no more yelling at each other as they hit a terrible shot and topped it into the bunker. It's a much different environment one group to the next, and your fun has to be based on your choice of what fun looks like to you out there with your wife. So for her, as she says, happy to pick up, so you say, okay, look, your fun is I'm going hiking and I'm hitting a few balls, and I'm spending time with my husband, which means walking to my ball, and you set parameters around her golfing as okay, the main point is we keep up to the group in front of us, which means if that means skipping a hole and walking along with me, if it means hitting more shots, if we're waiting, hey sweet, hit a few more shots around the green and try putting it into the hole. From here, your fun becomes I'm choosing to enjoy this time with my wife and we get to hit a few golf balls while we're at it, but I would strongly recommend not to keep score during that round.
Speaker 2: For you, Fred, that's the advice I'm looking for.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just keep just enjoy it. And my wife's actually right over there, probably laughing at me at the same time, because she too brought I took up golf as our youngest nine year old when he started about five or six. She's like, well, if I don't play golf, I'm gonna get left behind. So she started playing as well, and it's very similar. I mean she for many many rounds it's pretty bad. Couldn't get off the tea, couldn't hit it in the fairway. And just this year and just this springtime, she's been hitting drives nicely. Now we just got her a lighter three wood that she's able to hit off the ground. She can put Uh, just learned how to chip this year. So she played four years not knowing how to chip and just putting it everywhere. But being with us learning how to play, and it's not even so much learning how to play, for it's just like a little bit of joy hitting the ball or not hitting it on the water in this hole, or having colored balls that she gets to play with instead of it's it's a different it's a different expectation, but it's the same game. So if you set your expectation of I get to spend time with my wife today and we're outside and hiking and hitting some golf balls, you you will have fun.
Speaker 2: Are you your wife making suggestions in the background?
Speaker 1: Jump jump in, poke your head in what's.
Speaker 3: I would say that for years, there's a difference. Even when I'm with my kids, there's a difference and a game that I'm working on my game, and there's a difference on the game that I'm having fun with the people.
Speaker 1: I'm with, Okay, and so there's a.
Speaker 3: Social game and then there's a work like a try to get exercising game where yeah, I'm working on my shots and I'm trying to get better. And so what I'm playing with my kids sometimes if one of them is in a bad attitude or whatever, then that's the sort. No, never a social game, and I just enjoy the ride with my family. I'm out doing the thing that he loves, the thing that my oldest son loves, that we as a family enjoy. That's the only sport in the world that you can do together with your level of golf and with her level of golf, and do it together and just enjoy the time together.
Speaker 1: That date, if you guys level it up and say, hey, I'm going to go for a golf trip to like we we had one to Gray Wolf in Panorama, BC, up on the mountains. Okay, I guess what They've got a spa?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, oh, we know the spa, a golf course.
Speaker 1: This ear and there's bears and there's birds, and it's it is a hike. Yeah, so then it becomes an actual outdoor hiking adventure with golf clubs. I don't know, there's a As long as you set your expectations straight, you can very easily have fun with it.
Speaker 2: One of the things that you like to profess, David, is talking about making golf easier and fun. Let's go there. Sure I need these tips to bring those along with me. H.
Speaker 1: Golf is actually quite a simple game. It is. I relate it is a lot. But at the same time, just.
Speaker 2: Get rid of your scorecard.
Speaker 1: Right, you've already said that's only step one. Friend. No, the when you step on to a tennis court or a ping pong table never does it end to your mind as the ball is coming at you being served by the other person. Okay, let me make sure that I keep my head still as the ball is coming towards me, that I drop my k help over here. No, there's a flat surface that's in your hand, and there's a round ball that's coming at you, and you think round ball, flat surface, hit it that direction. Same with baseball. You got a flat surface in a bat and the ball coming at you, and then you try to connect the two and make it go a certain direction. Ping pong is the same thing, and the same principles apply to golf if we don't let all of the other stuff come in now. Don't get me wrong. That doesn't mean that I think that all you know in depth technical instruction is bad. There's a certain level at which you want that technical instruction. However, if that comes into your game too early, or or you start technicalizing. See that's an English word is made up there. Check it the golf swing where you don't need to. You need to come right back down to the two feet on either side of the ball that actually matters. There's a flat surface, there's a round ball, and the only thing that matters is where that flat surface is pointing when you hit it, and the path at which it's coming through on. Those are the only two things in the golf that actually affect what you're doing. Yes, I realize there's descent angle, and there's spin right, and there's a flight, But for ninety five percent of golfers around the world, the direction that the club face is pointing and the way it's moving through the ball. Okay, we have to remember that where the club face is pointing is always where the ball is going to start. And then the path that the club is coming through on is going to apply right to left spin or left, right spin, right to left or lever you know, one of the spins either way, and it's going to spin from there, which means somebody says, oh, well, I hit everything right. Fantastic. I'm so glad to hear it. You're telling me that you're consistent. Everything is going to the right. All you have to do is spin the club in your hands so that the face is pointing more to the left. Do the exact same thing that you were just doing, and then it's going to start to the left. Oh well, it's starting to look too far to the left.
Speaker 2: Fantastic. Now we well, if your ball goes to the right, then't aim left right right.
Speaker 1: But it's not even so much like aiming your body left as it is. No when we start to think round ball, our bodies can actually do that. What we can't do is say, Okay, when I get to the top, I'm going to try to get a little higher with my hands, and then just as I am transitioning to the downswing, I'm going to drop the right elbow and tuck down. And here we can't figure that out fast enough in the swing. But what we can figure out is flat surface ball go that way. Yeah, And if we start there and then just apply speed to it and go longer and longer and longer, and try to realize that everything else that we're doing is just applying speed to those that two feet on either then we can start to build our own swing around the part of the swing that matters, the impact position, that the hitting of the ball in a certain direction.
Speaker 2: And visualizing it, not thinking about, not thinking about the mechanics during the swing of what you're supposed to be doing. That's like all pre shot routine. Think about what you need to do this step up to the ball and think about a target somewhere else. You know, are you one of those that likes to play target golf and not think about just hitting the ball, but where the ball is supposed to end up. Yes and no, let's stay with yes for now. I want During the.
Speaker 1: Pre shot routine, when you're choosing your spot, there is a course management part of playing where you absolutely want to hit it or miss it in a certain area. There's incredible amounts of strokes that can be shaved off your game simply by picking the right place to go. However, there is a moment at which you're thinking has to change from where the ball is going to end up to the task at hand, which is the only thing you can affect, which is the ball that's in front of you. So your target is actually the ball. All of the pre shot routine part is you deciding where you want to try to hit that ball, but you can't affect where it's going to go. You can't affect what's going to happen over there.
Speaker 2: You can get it started, but you.
Speaker 1: Can only get it started in the two feet on either side. That matters.
Speaker 2: But is the ball the target?
Speaker 1: Absolutely it is. By the time you're hitting. The ball is the target. Now, that doesn't mean that I'm not aiming specifically at a corner of a bunker on the right side of the green, but that's where that switch has to happen. And so in that pre shot routine, you go from Okay, I want exactly on that spot, this is the shot that I want. This is my interim target that I'm aiming for, and I bring everything back down into the actual target that I can affect, which is right in front of me, and that I can do. And then that's the beautiful thing about the game of golf is it's a lottery. Every time you strike it, it's like, oh, let's see where it gets to go this time. Oh no, I've buried myself in the face of the bunker and now have to So yes, I realized that's a little unconventional because there, you know, there's some really great instructors and there's some great teaching that through the years of of you know, the Harvey panic, take dead aim at at where you're trying to hit it, and I understand that, but there's this disconnect between where the ball ends up and what we actually have to do, and it's hundreds of yards apart, and I think it becomes a lot easier if your actual task is hit the thing that's in front of you as opposed to try to connect with something that's hundreds of yards away.
Speaker 2: Yeah, excellent, excellent, And you know you may unconventional. And we just had Eric Alpinfels from Pinehurst is the head instructor at Pinehurst and his book Instinct Putting where talk about unconventional. He's talking about looking at the hole when you're putting and not looking at the ball. Have you ever had experience with that?
Speaker 1: I have tried it, and putting is the great mystery of the game. It is it is look at the hole and get it in fantastic do that? Yeah right, you can close your eyes and put fantastic thing almost the same thing, right right. I have over the years struggled with the y word and I'm sorry, Yeah, that's part of life, right, yeah, and so.
Speaker 2: Much so that you can't even see the word.
Speaker 1: No, I can't, that's the yips. But listeners that might do.
Speaker 2: Like they're driving and all of a sudden you said the word yips.
Speaker 1: And they're like crash. I didn't want to I don't want to be uh, I want to cause the wreck on the I five, But no, it's that that's truth, and you got to approach things with truth in life. So yes, I've had I've struggled to the yips over the years. It was once so bad when I was in my playing days that back when you could use long putters, it was so bad that I actually tried pinning the long putter to my neck and bending over and just trying to move my body in any kind of way to get the ball going. Now it's it's way better, uh than it used to be. In fact, I can play golf without them now. But I strongly believe that that the yips, the shanks, that kind of stuff is all to do with the miscommunication between our eyes and our body, you know, our our our head, our head actually tilts and moves in ways where we think we're aimed somewhere, but we're not act aimed there, and there's a miscommunication between our eyes and our body. But we can you know, that's a that's a topic for another day. But yeah, I know there's there's a there's a number of guys I know speak used the look at the whole method for quite some time and seem to seem to win. You know quite a number of events doing that, and so that's fantastic. If you can do it, fantastic, go for it.
Speaker 2: Do it. Talk again about unconventional and things that you've brought up to me in our email exchange. You are an advocate is the word that I want to use for single length irons, A practitioner.
Speaker 1: I am both, okay, Keeping in mind, I don't try to force any specific idea on anybody other than trying to help them get what they want. What I want. I want consistency. I want to be able to get up to a ball, know where I'm hitting it, aim that direction, and hit it. If that means, here's my crazy. But if that means for me that I'm five yards shorter with each of my irons, or five yards longer, or if I have to play with a different grip that's not accepted by the majority, or I have to aim right and pull left, or I have to aim left and pull right, it doesn't really matter to me as long as I know that when I get to the ball, I'm going to hit it a direction, and I wanted to go that direction, and my best playing in my lifetime, I was. I was averaging fourteen greens around. I did make a lot of birdies, Yeah, I was. I was middle of the greens. I could two putt from everywhere and some of them would go in. So let's call it three or four birdies around, very rarely bogies, almost never double bogies. Certainly, like the three putts were. Speed putting was a fortape and that consistent and knowing. I remember being able to stand in the fairway and be like, Okay, well there's a little gap there that I can hit. I'm going to hit it there. That's where I want it to go, and it would just go there because I could do that. I believe that the more clubs that you have in your bag that are the same length and weight, the less variables you have in your clubs. Okay, I know full well when I'm playing, Okay, i have seven sets of golf clubs in my garage. I'm crazy, and I probably need another one.
Speaker 2: And how many of them are single length?
Speaker 1: I've got two sets that single or and those are the ones I play. Okay, keep you eye when I say advocate, I am actually playing those. I'm playing them in events I'm playing them in tournaments. I love them. Okay. I have one ten club single length set which is lob wedge to four iron, and these are both the both these sets are a Voda Golf irons and so those are those are all seven iron length lob wedge through four iron. Then I have a second set which is lob wedge through eight iron that are that are all nine iron length, and then seven, six, five, four are progressively longer. Okay, so let me let me just talk about the concept here first. Any experience with it, m when I'm playing the same length ten club seven iron length things. There is a level of accuracy and predictability that comes with all of the clubs that you cannot understand until you've tried it. I mean, I have custom fit sets of verible length clubs that are fit to my body and my swing and fantastic and I hit them well. But to be able to pull any club out of your bag, that's an iron, okay, Obviously it changes when it gets to woods and hybrids and driver and you pull any of those irons out of your bag, it's the exact same setup. It's the same weight, it's the same feel, it's the same grip. The only thing that changes is how high it's coming off the face. And incredibly to me, once I started using them, I documented my social media documented my first round with them and my first shots with them. Didn't even go to the range with them, and didn't know the yardages of them. They're very close to your regular variable length irons. The switch over from a yardage perspective is almost nothing to give you to give you exact yardages and differences. Shall we say, standard length four iron would fly about two twelve, let's call it, and the same length fore iron will fly two oh six, So there's about a five or six yard difference, and it is lower because it's a it's a lower lofted and lower spin. So there's a consideration that has to happen. But there's an accuracy that goes with those. So there's there's gives and takes it with everything, but there's an accuracy that goes with those that is unmatched with other irons that I have played and didn't.
Speaker 2: There was no there was no process for you to adapt to them. It just immediately worked for you.
Speaker 1: I shot seventy one the first round that I ever played with them.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: On a course that was a mountain side course where you have to be there's sectional greens, you know, big curves in between significant there's significant ease in using them. There are a couple of tough points. Okay that the longest of the irons are touch points. That's like, yeah, maybe there's some there definitely is some adjustment. And then the chipping around the greens took two rounds, let's call it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean I would think that the wedges would be the hardest adjustment because you know, maybe even the shaf are different on the wedges or not they.
Speaker 1: Differ, they are different, but because they feel like all your other clubs, it's not notice unusual. And actually when I go back to a standard length wedge, I find myself bending over a lot in my back hurts or when i'm back so as an old fort like me, you know, child, I've got the gray hair to prove it it's good.
Speaker 2: Oh dude, don't don't even go there.
Speaker 1: Sorry to bring that one up anyway. But the other set that I have is kind of like the the other adjustment of it, or or maybe the best of both worlds. And so this is what this is the set that I'm actually playing with regularly. Now when when it's soft windy or I'm playing link style golf, I'll go to the ten club same length because i want everything low anyways. It gives you great flexibility there, keep everything low. It's very solid. Like hitting the center of the face is just easy. Okay. North American courses typically you have to fly longer shots higher because you got to carry bunkers. You got to stop it on the greens. You may be landing onto a downslope. So the the what the company calls a combo length set are six clubs nine iron length and then seven, six, five, four that get progressively longer, and so you have in your scoring clubs that same kind of consistency. And the way that I'm actually using them is I'm now gripping down on the seven, the six, the five, and the four to make them same length. Then if I need the extra height or the extra few yards, then I will add length in my grip. You have to be disciplined enough to do it. And now I've got the big grips on there too, So it feels good no matter how high you are on the shaft. But there is definitely some accuracy that leaves as soon as you length then out those four or five ins and it's not I mean, I don't get me wrong, It's not a lot, but it's noticeable. And so then I have to ask myself, if I'm sitting there at two oh five, do I want to hit a hard five high or do I want to pick that spot up the middle with the forearm that I know is going to go that direction and just and just hit that shot. And so I've I've I've found myself. I had to play with I say, I had to. I had to play with my my variable set just before a trip because I had all the clubs packed up, but I still wanted to play. So I went I would played, and you know, I found things like the gap wedge. You know, I'd stand over it and be like, this doesn't it doesn't feel right. It doesn't feel like a pitching wedge or a nine iron. It doesn't feel like a wedge. There was some unusual stuff for me when I went back that wasn't there with with with the same length system. So the way the way I explain it to people now is the more of the exact same waiting and length clubs that you have in the bag, the better you're going to be for accuracy. But you have to understand that there are some trade offs. The you know, the further you go in either direction from the seven iron, Yeah.
Speaker 2: I played. I played single length irons for a bit, but I just never could get my head into it and be comfortable to the point where I'm like, yeah, this is so much better than what I was doing before. You also mentioned to me about you're now trying to play golf left handed. Yes, and you are a right handed golfer.
Speaker 1: I am absolutely a right handed golfer. I've played thirty years agolf right handed. And what I produced a self paced video course earlier this year that was talking that that that helps with ball striking consistency. It's it works from the ball back from the two feet that we were talking about, works from their backwards, allowing you to build your own swing or how your body's going to get back to that point, and it's yeah, you know, I figured, hey, it's it's simple, it's easy to follow. Bunch of people through it said hey, this is great, fantastic, and I'm like, well, I want to know what it's like. And I can't do it because I already know how to play golf right handed. So I'm like, hey, stupid idea. Why not try to learn the game all over again left handed? Okay?
Speaker 2: So now you said you were a baseball player as a kid. Were you a switch hitter?
Speaker 1: I was not a switch hitter, but I did play hockey left handed. Okay, so I hold the hockey stick left handed. But if you look at my left handed swing is not pretty. It's just it's not good golfing. Okay. But then, so what I did is I said, well, screw this. I'm going to say and I'm saying this publicly now see to you that I'm doing this until I break par left handed. It might take a while, might take a while. I have in production right now, just about ready to launch later this week as of the recording. I know the publish a publication is going to come out a little bit. But I my first ever round left handed, without going to the range or anything. I rented a set of left handed clubs and went out and played and documented it, scores and everything. All the strokes hit five balls out of bounds on one hole in the same spot with a giant place there was some good stuff, but there's some really really ugly stuff, and so I've been I've been working on it daily since then, and I'm gonna document it publicly. You'll be able to go to the channel and see the left handed series and how it's progressing. But some really interesting things came up, and in our pre chat before this podcast, we're talking about, you know, the mental game and how you can eliminate strokes, even my first round left handed to my second round left handed, changing my thinking to There was one shot in particular. It was on the tenth hole of my second round left handed, and I had one hundred and seventy yards to the hole, but in order to get to the hole, I had to carry a desert area and some pot bunkers and really some death zones for your scorecard. But to the left of the green was a big open fairway area and I've never aimed there before in my life right handed. It's just not somewhere I would have even thought. But as I'm standing there in the fairway, I'm like, well, if I can just hit it into that big fairway section, I could chip, I could put from there, I could get it up onto the green and I'd make bogie instead of risking a double or triple bogie instead of the part. And I hit it. I hit it over to the left and I hit it into the big ferry part and I actually got up and down for par Wow, And I thought, how interesting that just changing how I'm thinking to being like, no, no, I don't even care where the pin is. I care where the biggest part of the fairway is. And because I don't even know how to hit a bunker shot left handed, yet I don't want to get in there, I can't get out, so I have to stay in the fairway. How can I stay in the fairway? So sometimes that meant hitting eight iron instead of five iron and just playing thirty yards short. Sometimes it meant aiming like absolutely the other direction of the water and then having a longer shot in. And now I'm starting to think of the game differently from the people that I'm trying to help, perspectives like, well, how do we help them? Well, you have to aim for your your ability always. So it's so interesting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it sounds fascinating. So tell us about where we can find you online? What is a big swing kings dot com?
Speaker 1: Yes, you can see there in the hat. If it's on video or if it's own voice, it's Big Swing Kings and it's everywhere at Big Swing Kings. So website is Big Swing Kings, the YouTube, the TikTok, the instagram, the the everything.
Speaker 2: You give online lessons to.
Speaker 1: Online lessons, Yeah, through through skillstand through the website. You can book online lessons with me. You can even submit your swing for free and I will roast it. I mean, help you while also making fun content. But no, and that's the beautiful thing about golf is we all know that we suck. It doesn't matter what level you're at. You can watch the top pros on a bad day. We all know that we suck. And that's what makes it so much fun is that we can make fun of ourselves and we can see our errors in life. It's like, it's like how we should think about life. It's like, ah, we mess up all sorts of places, and we're okay looking at ourselves and saying, yeah, you know what, that actually does need to change. And that's what I love so much about helping people in golfers that we all know that we need help.
Speaker 2: We all yeah, mar Martin Chuck said you can't embarrass me. I play golf exactly, so you can't say anything that will embarrass me.
Speaker 1: I have missed a two foot putt to win a match, like it's there.
Speaker 2: You should be looking at the hole.
Speaker 1: No, I need one of those balanced lie angle balanced putter. That's the newest trend, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Don't get me for not for golf smarter listeners, No, no, no, listen. We've been on lie angle balance. We've been on the Lab golf putter for since twenty nineteen. Huge advocate. Absolutely love those butters. So don't cross me here. This is not the time because we're about to say goodbye, David. This has been a lot of fun. Thank you so much for joining us today.
Speaker 1: I actually do have a Lab butter in the bag at the moment, so I can't say too much.
Speaker 2: Yeah, of course you do. Everyone should and probably will soon. Oh my god, David, thanks a lot, really appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Thank you friend.