Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to Batflips and Nerds, the Baseball Podcast with a British twist. I am your host, Ben Carter, for a very special episode, not least because I have the main man, Russell Easom here with me.
Speaker 2: How are you, Russell?
Speaker 3: I'm doing good, Ben, I'm doing good. Yeah. I'm looking forward to this, but I think you might be a little bit more.
Speaker 1: I am very much looking forward to this because we've got no one else but the man himself, Clint hurd Or, joining us to chat a little bit at baseball. It's a privilege, as you say, as a Rockies fan. Clint is someone who I've looked up to you for a long time, so it's great to get a chance to have a conversation. For those that don't know, Cliff has having an extraordinary career in baseball and life in baseball. Really played for four different franchises across a ten year career and obviously managed two French to over twenty five hundred games as a manager at that and we were just discussing before we started recording that he is back at spring training in Scotts, Arizona, where the Colorado Rockies again. Do you know what year in baseball. This is for you now, Clint, how many it's been.
Speaker 4: It's a big number, Ben, it's number fifty five.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 4: Zero.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's extraordinary.
Speaker 1: Well, congratulations, that's an impressive effort.
Speaker 2: But thanks so much for joining us. How are you?
Speaker 4: Thank you for coming on healthy and happy, probably better than I deserve. And I do appreciate you all adjusting the time with me and for me today.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much, No problem, no problem, it's great to chat.
Speaker 1: I think we'll get into all parts of your career and other things as part of this conversation, but I thought we might start with one of your more recent projects, which is your new book. I know it's only been released very recently, and I know that that was a labor of love and passion. I think I heard on a different podcast you're talking about the trials and tribulations you went through to get this thing way you to publishing. I'd be interested to hear what the process of writing that was, like. I know you write every way yourself. What was it like to go back for your your life and career in baseball and put together some thoughts and huddlisms as you call them.
Speaker 4: It was you know, what. It was therapeutic in some ways. It was enlightening in some ways to you know, re visit uh some good times, some hard times, some sad times, some fantastic times, and then make sure that I had I had the facts right by calling people up and revisiting some of the sequence of events. Fact check does work. Spell check does work. But you need to talk to people when you're talking about people, especially when you're talking about relationships with people. And I think we managed everything up very very well. And it basically was the book that became a labor of love. It's just trying to share experience, strength and hope. It's not that I've known it all. Matter of fact, I didn't know a whole lot. I've learned a lot in the hard way. But I thought it was a good times on a challenge from a good friend of mine, John Gordon, who was a very very well known inspirational writer and speaker has seventeen best selling books. He basically just challenged me to write my own book. I was looking for an easier, softer way. I wanted a co author to write the book with me, somebody who had written books, who would do all the hard work and I just spit out brilliance from time to time and share these stories, let him document everything. But it just didn't work out that way, and John told me Clinton, you need to share your own story with your own words, because I think it has value and I think it will help. So I took upon the task and it probably took me a little over nine months from the time I typed the first word to the time I type the last, and then a couple more months of you know, putting an index, putting acknowledgments, in coordinating some endorsements and things. So almost a year and it's out now. It seems to have some good traction. I've gotten a lot, a lot of lots of reviews. I think anytime a book can make you laugh and cry, you know to do both, and that's an enjoyable read. So so far, still good.
Speaker 2: I'm glad to hear that.
Speaker 1: I did have a check before we started recording, and the book is available on Amazon here in the UK, so fans who are on this side of the pond are able to get hold of it and check that out. I would recommend doing so. There are some amazing stories from Well Today as well. You mentioned during Spring training with the Colorado Rockies. I'm fascinating what does your role look like nowadays? How involved are you with the team. What does spring training number fifty look like for.
Speaker 2: You at the moment?
Speaker 4: My job title is a special assistant to the general manager, and as I went through baseball, I ran into a bunch of different special assistants to the general manager. It seemed to be a role that was somewhat defined. You could bounce around a lot of different ways. You could work in the minor leagues, you could work in the big leagues. You could do some scouting, you could work some player development, and you basically did things that maybe the general manager didn't want to do, or to help him, provide him with a different lens at the sea things. So I was actually retired for two years. After I was fired by the Rockies in nineteen I had a little downtime and I thought things through and realized that I was going to get paid for two years to not work, which had never happened to me before in my life. And I thought I'd move upon it with two young children at home, still in high school. So the Bill of November I stopped. I stopped working the middle of March, the world stopped working. COVID hit and everything was shut down. So I was able to homeschool a couple of kids, spend a couple of years at home, and then the Rockies called and asked me to basically spend time in our player development system. It's what I've done a lot of I'm helping grow kids, grow the young players up, helping them grow the young managers and coaches up, and report to our our general manager and the people at the major league level on you know, who's looking good, who's showing improvement, Maybe who do we need to talk about in a little different venue. It's been very rewarding. Our farm system has become one of our strongest assets, even though our major league record has been really rough the last two seasons. We have developed a lot of young talent. We've got more young pitchers coming, more young players coming. We saw some of them last year, two Gold Glovers to bar and Doyle. We saw some big arms in the bullpen show up. We got more guys coming. So that's been my role. I work about two weeks a month, which is really really cool, up and down the minor league system, up and down the Mynor League system, a trip to the Dominican I do some instruction league work, so all baseball related. My finger's still on the pultse of all things Rockies. But I also still have time to get home and spend with my our daughter Maddie and who's still at home, and my wife Carlo.
Speaker 2: Well, that sounds deal.
Speaker 1: And you've got me fired up about the Rockies, just with your with your small tipbits there on the future looking bright that that is what we want to hear, I think, and I maybe we can take it all the way back to the beginning, really off your professional career at least, and maybe even just before that. I saw that that maybe things could have been very different on your journey, because I believe you had the offer to play college.
Speaker 2: Football and baseball at the University of Miami rather than turn pro.
Speaker 1: How strongly did you consider pursuing that path rather than than going straight into the pros.
Speaker 4: I probably didn't consider as much as my parents did. My dad was not an agent by any means, but he was very committed to leveraging the best opportunity for me. We didn't know when I'd get drafted, what round, what pick, but the football scholarship combined with the baseball scholarship. I should say there were two teams that would let me play both sports, the University of Virginia University of Miami. I had a lot of individual teams offer either football or baseball. The most interesting concept or opportunity I had was I had an academic scholarship offer to Harvard University. My mother, my mother, from a very early age, trussed the importance of grades, end of learning, and of reading, and to this day, I'm still an avid reader. I still want to learn. Part one of the chapters in the book Hurdleisms is about a white belt mentality being a lifelong learner. But my dad wanted to make sure we had options and try to leverage those options and the best of his ability, so to play college football and baseball. It was probably real until a point, it wasn't real to me because since the time I was five, I wanted to be a big league ball player. I wanted to be won a World Series. I wanted to you know, I wanted to do that. And when the offer came, and the offer was significant enough, there was a no brainer. We were going to go to baseball.
Speaker 3: And so like how different was that world claimed?
Speaker 5: Because I obviously Ben and I have we've been following baseball for fifteen ty years. The what was the draft like back in that day, back when you went in, you went in the first round? Was there was there anything? How long did it take you to actually know that it's happened. It's not being released on social media in an instant, is it?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 4: It wasn't you know what it's It's almost like I feel like it was in black and white. It wasn't even in color. It was so long ago. Scouts would see you play, you would fill out a note card for them. They would hold the note card. Every once in a while you would get a phone call on a rotary phone from a scout. He'd pick your brain. Some of them would actually show up at your house and ask a few questions. But the day of the draft, I was told by there was three clubs that let me know that there's a good chance that I would go in the first round, and if I did, there'd be a follow up phone call. Well. One of the teams was the Oakland Athletics. They were picking last. This was in the seventies with the Oakland Athletics were one of the best teams in baseball. Charlie Finley is still on the team. At that time, he was kind of an nonsense owners so that the scout told me, hey, look, we drafting the first round. Here's my number. You call me and the offer's twenty five thousand dollars. That's it. That's all we got. So it was kind of a booboo lip.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 4: It was kind of sad because you work your whole life, you think maybe I'm gonna do in the first round. A guy calls you, yep today, you know, if we drafted, here's this is all you're going to get, and you got to call us to let us another you're taking it or not. So fortunately I wasn't drafted by them. I was drafted by the Royals, the ninth picking the nation, and after some negotiations by my dad, you know, we found a common ground. We both believed it was a fair deal. But it was a rotary phone call. And then it was the scout coming over to my house a day later, and I was sitting down having pizza, you know, with my sisters, my mom and dad, just you know, six or seven people. It was nothing like the you know, extravaganza that it's turned in today, it's truly you know, it's a celebration, it's an event. We do it over the All Star break. Now it's it's a it's a big profile deal. But back in the day, guys, it was not that big of a deal. What for us it was because it was still the culmination about, you know, a dream since you had in the backyard since you were five.
Speaker 5: No, I was just going to say that, like from from some bios that I've read, that like the Kansas City Scout with Bill Fishtt, with somebody that you were quite friends when the family was friends with anyway, because you'd known him for a while, so I guess it felt was he the one you did know the best as well?
Speaker 3: And did that play like anything into that conversation.
Speaker 4: It didn't hurt by any means. Bill had seen me play for three years. He actually came to the first game I played at high school. I was a sophomore, and that at that time sophomore was tenth grade. We had a senior catcher, Waldo Williams was an All American football player a high school end up going to Florida State. Behind the plate, so all the scouts were going to see Waldo. I happened to be a freshman, a sophomore on the team, which didn't happen very often in those days, and I caught his eye in tenth grade and eventually he would have I think what they call impromptu workouts or whether they were whether they were legal or not, I don't know, but he'd say, Hey, meet me at Coco rock Ledge Baseball Park and I'll throw you some VP. And what kid wouldn't want to go hit VP? You know from a big league scout. So we must have done that a dozen times. He knew my mom, knew my dad by far and away, the closest person in the professional game that we knew. So it was very sweet that he was the guy that they drafted us. He was the one that was able to come over because we all kind of celebrated the success. He put the work in. We put the work in, you know, we had put it together as a team, and we'd see where it going. Funny part was a few years later, I was traded to Cincinnati and Bill Fisher was actually the pitching coach on the Cincinnati Reds at that time, so we got to rekindle our friendship.
Speaker 1: That's amazing, awesomet I know one thing that happened very soon after you drafted, was was the.
Speaker 2: Sports Illustrated cover.
Speaker 1: You know, that's one of the things that I'm sure comes up in and a lot of the conversations that you have and the front cover of that nineteen seventy six was it outing this year's phenome on the front cover with your photo? There must have been I mean at that time that was the equivalent of going viral on social media, right. There must have been enormous pressure on your shoulders and a weight of expectation that came with that. Did you feel at the time, looking back now, did it have any effect on you? Or were you just you know, excited to play ball and ready to show what you could do.
Speaker 4: All of the above? I think I was excited to play ball. We had been given a heads up. The SI group had been around the spring training and taking pictures of various young players that they'll never tell you it's going to be on the cover normally until you're on the cover, but they let us know that that when that addition would come out. And one of the funnier things that happened to me was they took my picture. They took a picture of Willie Wilson, Rich Gaiale, three guys on our team, a bunch of other young players. But every morning, on the way to the ballpark, I would stop at a seven eleven and I would get a quarter milk and a honey bun. It's like a big miscuit, a big don't every morning, and normally the same kid was working there in the morning, he's about my age. Well, this morning I walk in and I put the honeybun down, the milk on the counter. I look at him. He looks at me. He looks down at the counter where there's three magazines. They didn't have a magazine rap back then. You know, you go in the convenience stores. Now there's fifty magazines. They had three magazines, Newsweek, Life and Sports Illustrated. So he looks down. I do not even watching what he's looking at it, and he looks back at me. He looks down again. So the second time he looks down, I look down. I see my picture on the cover of the Sports Illustrated. I look at him. He looks at me. I freak out. I walk out of the store, no milk, no honey bun. I get in my car and I just sat there for a couple of minutes, thinking, Okay, something's changing. I didn't even know what it was, but I knew something was going to be different. So I don't think at the time I realized how much I was going to internalize maybe some pressure, or try and do more than I was capable of doing to validate the fact that I was on the cover of a national magazine at the age of twenty years old. I go to a clubhouse, you know, an hour forty five minutes later, and there's guys who've been playing ten years the big leagues that have never had their picture on the cover of anything, and now this young kid walks in as a rookie. He's on the cover Sports Illustrated. And you know, there wasn't bad blood in the clubhouse. I think guys were just kind of like, really like, what's he done? But when you get out within the league throughout the rest of the season and you're playing other teams and guys who've been around and you're this young kid, it got a little dicey at times. I tried, probably to do more than I was capable of doing again at times to validate you know that. I won't say that that was the reason, but I didn't. I lead a lot of lessons, and I think that's the one thing that I'm most proud of is regardless of how I handle a good bad or and different lessons learned from it, yes, and then to be able to recreate a new narrative from it because I really never was a phenom playing. I've never been a feno, managing or coaching, but I was able to take that career and turn it into a coach and a manager and a person now who's been fifty years in the game and still hopefully providing some impact and some influence and just trying to help people on their way.
Speaker 1: He kind of preempted my next question a little bit there. I'm interested to know what you said that it did have a big impact on kind of rest of your career after you feel done playing. But what I guess what were the specific lessons or the biggest lessons I suppose that you took from having been there, done that, played the game at the highest level that you then took into your philosophy coaching, whether that be you know, helping out young hitters, and more stuff to do with technique and the ways to be a successful hitch at the major league level.
Speaker 2: But also I guess later.
Speaker 1: In your career as a manager, as a clubhouse leader, as someone who had to galvanize a whole locker room, you know, having gone through struggles at the major league level, having been on the front cover of s I all of this other stuff. What were the main things that kind of toold you up to be really successful in your post playing career.
Speaker 4: Well, I think, you know, Rustin Benz, just to give you you probably got the back notes. But there was a lot of other challenges throughout my life that I that I had to meet, some self created. I was divorced twice and I'm not proud of that, but I've you know, there's a lot of collatteral damage that comes with divorce. There's a lot of emotions, and unfortunately I was the common fabric in both of those. By going through failed marriages and maybe not producing on the field like a lot of people think you should. I tried to find ways to numb the pain, and I actually drank myself into becoming an alcoholic, and it was a life that I was living in disgise a lot of times because a lot of people never probably knew the pain or the sometimes embarrassment that I wasn't what I should have been in the eyes with so many other people. And my parents have been married their whole life. My dad's ninety one, my mother's eighty nine. They've been married going to be sixty years. And I can't even have two marriages that add up to like fifteen or ten or whatever it was. So you feel that you're trying to coach. Then you're done playing. You weren't probably what everybody thought you should have been as a player. Now what can you be as a coach? No idea about managing that happened down the road. But there was a lot of opportunities for me to learn from mistakes, to seek help from others, and then to take responsibility for my actions, not make excuses. All these things add up the perfect coaching lessons in a lot of ways, because as my players got to realize over time, there wasn't a whole lot they could bring into me as a coach or a manager that I hadn't walk through in some degree or some level, whether on the field or off the field, and at least more often not. I can tell hey, I'm not sure what's going to work for you, but I can tell you what won't work for you. You know, the couple of things that I did, those won't work trust me, and I think that's what enabled me. I mean, when you guys think about it, I managed two teams for seventeen years. We never won a World Series. That's unheard of. So you must be doing something right. You must be taking care of the brand. You must be growing relationships, the community, the players, all of it. There must be something good going on for people to keep you in charge of organizations that are worth billions of dollars. If you're just a twice divorce recovering alcohol, there's gotta be more to you than that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think before we get into talking about the specifics of like managing Korea, we have maybe like a cheeky question, but is there an easier job than being a hitting coach in the pre humane colsfield like the bull Goo's fun?
Speaker 3: Like just hit it in the aird lads? Come on? Uh?
Speaker 4: There were times. Actually Larry Walker told me when I first took the job, he goes, hey, when we're at home. You can take the games off at home. You don't have to show up. We need you on the road because you know, the rage was the Rockies crushed people at home. They don't hit anything on the road. You know, they could take batting practice in the lobby at the hotel on the road, but you put them at Corus Field and there's burn fifteen runs a night, whether you like it or not. The easiest job in baseball at times, absolutely Russ was being the hitting coach for the Blake Street Bombers. And if you look back at those five guys the back of their baseball cards, the numbers. I can remember looking at Gala Raga at nineteen ninety seven, his numbers at the All Star Break were better than my career numbers in ten years. I mean what he had done at the half. And then you got Burke's, you got Walker, you got Castillo, you got you got Bschett. I mean in Galla Raga, it was crazy. And to work with those guys, yeah, it wasn't hard. There was harder on the road. But what are the other blessings I had? Later after managing in Colorado, I got fired. I went to Texas and to be the hitting coach that year for the Texas Rangers in twenty ten when we went to the World Series as well. Josh Hamilton, Nellie Cruz, Michael Young, Elvis andres Ian Kinsler, you know, Mitch Moore, Josh Hamilton, it's another it's you know what, that's a pretty good job. Those are good jobs to.
Speaker 2: Have, great jobs to have.
Speaker 1: And I'm interested that you brought him up, So I was going to maybe ask you about Josh Hamilton. Here is someone else who obviously has had publicized issues off the field with alcohol and other things as well, and I imagine there's probably no coincidence that that, yeah, you mentioned twenty ten when you worked with him, was the best year of his career.
Speaker 2: He had an unbelievable season. What was that relationship like between you and him?
Speaker 1: Did you feel like you were able to connect with him in a way just because of the history that you'd had with some of those off field struggles, some of those mental struggles, you know, and that kind of maybe helped him click a little bit more on the field and compartmentalized in a way.
Speaker 4: I think that's true. I think there's a lot of truth to that. I think the other thing was was very It wasn't a coincidence. Ron Washington, who was the manager of the Rangers at the time, was my third base coach when I managed in the Mets system the last two years in Triple A. Ron and I had history. Ron knew of my history, I knew of his history. John Daniels was an intern for the Rockies in the early two thousands working in the video room. John and I developed a relationship. So when I go there to interview, it was about baseball. It was about hitting. It was about being an offensive coordinator more than you know, a hitting coach, because they had talented offensive people they had really never gotten over the hub. How do you help Wash put the lineup together so we can win a three to two game, We can win a six, six to five game, or we can win a fourteen to twelve game. Different ways to beat people. But when Josh Hamilton's name came up as we were identifying players, John said truthfully, he said, I really believe that you were meant to have this job to help Josh. He goes, I've known because he got to know Josh he goes. There's a lot of symmetry and what he's experienced, and I know what you've experienced by my conversations with John when he was in Colorado. And to this day, you know, Josh and I still stay in contact. It was one of the most interesting years I've ever had because we actually rebuilt his stance and his swing in the middle of a season, which I've never done with anybody before. We had gone through a process of events. But to watch the numbers that kid put up that year to win the MVP for us to go to the World Series. And if you look at the numbers he put up from June first to the end of the secenaon and they're like those Nintendo numbers the game you play on a computer. But to see the joy that it brought, not just to him, but the joy that it brought to the team, To see the best version of Josh on the field and in the clubhouse. You know, that's what life's about. When you can experience things together. You're going to experience hard times, you're gonna experience good times, but to be in it together, to be connected together, that was some of the That was one of the years I'll always remember, very very very very fun.
Speaker 5: So yeah, so let's go through that. That kind of like that start of that managing your career. Then when you you took over the rookies in two thousand and two, kind of I think reading that you kind of said when you had an instantaneous bounce back, it was something that you were kind of just anticipating that was going to happen anyway we see it. I think quite a lot in a lot of sports when the new manager comes in, the regression to the mean happens, and the guys performed probably the way that they should, and everybody's just like, oh, do manage manages a genius, But like you, you were quite experimental. I think in those early days of kind of like being being with the rookies, the attempts at like a full man rotation, like when you get into like the two thousand and seven season, And I think i'll let Ben talk about Rocktoba specifically. How did you find those first few years being kind of like fully in charge of the team.
Speaker 4: Well, it was it was a very surreal because when I Dan o'dodd called me up one morning said I'm coming over your house. I got to talk to you, I thought he was coming over the fire we weren't in a good spot. Buddy Bell was in a third year of managing. Buddy Bell's a tremendous baseball man. I learned a lot from him, and we weren't performing well. And you know, it's usually the coaches that you know, may go first, a couple of coaches or the manager. You know, you can't get rid of twenty five players. But we were at a point and Dan had made some comments that just my imagination would run with them. Okay, we didn't start hitting or I'm out, but I can remember Dan saying, look, are you going to be home? Yes, I am. I'm coming to your house. Well, I've never had a general manager ever tell me he's coming. So I call up my dad and I said, Dad, this is crazy. The GM's coming to my house. He goes, well, what for? I go, he's coming to fire me? And he goes, well, I know you've been saying it's been hard. You know, you were kind of talking about if it doesn't get better, there's no telling what could happen. He so you think he's gonna fire? Why else would he be coming to my house. I said, he's gonna save me, though. The Walk of shame, which I've had as a player a couple of times. Is you know, when you're told you're not good enough now and you got to go back to your locker, pack a bag and then walk out of the clubhouse with your bag in your hand. You know, that's quite humble, but it happens and it's real and it's a great learning lesson. So I said, well, I don't have to do that. He'll get rid of me at home. I'll go get my bag later when nobody's there. You know, it'll all work out. Well. He walks me through the process and then at the end he's kind of going, hey, yeah, and I just let Buddy Bell go this morning. I I'm just wondering what's coming next because and my my reason of being here is I'm asking you to be the or a manager and start running the club starting tonight. Wow. And I was like, excuse me quite and he goes, no, I want you to start running the club. Then I want you to be the inner manager. And he goes, why does that surprise you? I go, in all transparency, yes, I thought you were coming apart, and he you know, we laughed, but it just goes to show you facts aren't feelings right, and your feelings sometimes can take you a direction you really don't need to go. So to go to your point, Russ, one of the things I wanted to make sure I did with the club coming in. We were gonna experiment. This wasn't rocket science. We weren't here in cancer. We're playing baseball and we're not playing good baseball. What do we need to do? Just like good solid baseball and see where that takes us? So we were going to get creative. And it was you know, if it doesn't work, it doesn't work, We'll try something else. But it was just having the ability to not think everything is life or death, and everything is either wrong or right, and everything is either good or bad. You know. Sometimes you know, you get experiment and some as you work your way into things, and it shows trust, and it shows cohesion, and it shows a need to depend upon somebody else. So I thought those were important things to bring to the table based on what I learned. And you know, eventually I think that the players they bought into it. Some degreaders, no doubt, But like you said, I mean, I've also been the manager that got fired in OH nine and Jim Tracy ended up taking the team of the playoffs. So I've been on both both ends of that spectrum. Because nobody shows up as a Major league manager GM and says, you know what, let me see what I can do to screw things up today. Let me see what I can do to just catapult our team into last place and go on a losing sting. Nobody does that, even though that's what happens sometimes.
Speaker 1: I have a lot of questions on the Rockies, but I'm going to try and keep them succinct. But I think we should definitely talk about two thousand and seven. The Rockies went into that year kind of looking for fist inspiration to get back to the playoffs, and for a while it was questionable whether they would get there, of course, and then in September and October, I don't know how else to describe it than you know, all hell broke loose in a way, the run to almost steal the division and get into the playoffs, and then the extraordinary October run. I think the team went twenty one and one after September the fifteenth up until the World Series, of course, which is just an extraordinary run. At that time of the season, I'm fascinated in at that moment in time in particular, what was the atmosphere like, And I mean both at course field during games, but also just in the locker room. Did you go out there at some points in that street just feeling like we're just not going to lose today because we didn't lose yesterday or the day before, and something is just clicking.
Speaker 2: What was it like to be part of a streak like that.
Speaker 4: Well, I think it was a slow burn in a good way because all year long we never got hot. We were three games under, three games over. We were never in it, but we were never out of it. And I just kept sharing with the men, guys, we haven't got hot yet. You know, we've grown together in We had a bunch of young players kind of bond together that had won in the minor leagues together, so they were probably a closer group than any other group we had. In two, three, four, or five, six, they were coming together, both pitching, defense, hitting, all of it. You'd see signs of it, but you didn't see the depth that some of the better clubs had. And then seven they started playing just with a little more swagger. And one of the reasons why I really believe was Tulowitzki brought an edge to our team that we didn't have before. That if you had a little edge, Tulowitzki helped you have more of an edge. If you had an edge, you had a bigger edge. If you didn't have an edge, you found an edge or he was going to help you find it. It was one of the few times I saw a rookie come up and impact a clubhouse. And it wasn't just cocky. It was a swagger. One of the times I can remember him talking, It was guys, I've never lost like this before, and I'm not about I'm not about to start doing it now. You know, we need to figure some things out. This was a rookie talking to a room full of guys that already had major league time, but he led by example as well. It wasn't just talk. So there was a belief that was probably never there before that we can we can, we can play, and we can play better than we've played. Well, you go in the middle of September and I think it's still at the time where how many games to play? We were half a dozen games out and then like you said, we win, we win, We went, we went a different way, we went another different way. It's another person, it's the other person. It's a pitcher, it's a hitter. And about a week into it, guys were showing up earlier, guys were staying later. The crowd people were, you know people. The park was half full at VP, which the park had never been half full at BP. And the streets are getting crowded like they've never been crowded before. I mean they've been crowded. But it was like Opening Day every day for about three weeks as we went through that stretch, and the enthusiasm in the ball aallpark was contagious, but the enthusiasm in the dugout, guys pulling for one another, different men. We had a lockdown bullpen. We had good enough starting pitching that we could use the bullpen when we wanted to, not when we had to. We fed off that the position players knew there was games we could win two to one, but we could win ten to nine. And when you got players like Hop and Holiday on the corners in the outfield, you got a guy that can go get the ball to Varis and Sell, you got a go go guy at second and Matt Suey, you got a young stud at short, you got Garrett Atkins and Todd Helton on the corners that both drove in one hundred runs, and you got this catcher back there that ended up catching every one of those games. You are vit Toriabla. It was a closed, tight knit group of men that truly wanted to have the others to be successful. One of the beautiful parts of all that was when when Tavaris went down Ryan Spielberg's and Corey Sullivan platoon in center field and did a fantastic job. So it brought some more people into the package as well. But truthfully, that twenty five men in the club out of the in September, you can extend the can extend the roster. We had a we had a roster full of man. I think the team that went to the World Series had twenty one homegrown players drafted by the Rockies through our violin system, which is unheard of in today's game. But it was one of the most remarkable times that I've ever been in uniform to watch because what you felt like, guys, was like you watch your kids play in the backyard, and you know, they just keep doing things that you just keep going, Oh my god, you just keep clapping, just keep clapping, high five and and trying to stay out of the way.
Speaker 1: Man, I've got goosebumps listening to you talk about it. I can only imagine what it was like to experience it all. I've got one last Rockies question, and I'll hand over to us to stare us away from that a little bit. I think it's it's a bit of a two parts to build I think has puzzled people for so long, right in terms of how do you create a pitching staff that can be successful there? How do you help your hitters be successful at home and on the road. I think there's so many unique issues it poses to to the Rockies being their bullpark, being at altitude. But it seems like from the outside anyway, and I'm happy for you to correct me that they've never quite managed to crack the code, if there even is one, Right, I'm fascinated in how you look at it now in terms of what the way is to approach it or how you.
Speaker 2: Have to do things differently, just knowing that.
Speaker 1: That is such a unique factor that other teams don't have to and off the back of that I guess, you know, give me some cause for optimism about this team going into not just twenty twenty five, but I guess seasons to come, and maybe the direction of the franchise and the way it's going that's that's going to have the arrow pointing out.
Speaker 4: Well, I would agree with you on we haven't cracked the code. We've had four playoff teams I think ninety five, two thousand and seven, well, two thousand and nine and then seventeen and eighteen. We've never won the division thirty five years.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's it's a tough division.
Speaker 4: It is a very unique atmosphere because there's nothing else like it in the major leagues anywhere. It is different challenge at home versus on the road. There's different scientific things that will pey. It's different pitching, you know, the pitch shaping. Obviously, balls go farther and we tried different things. Early on, it was a ground ball mentality off the mounts ranking balls hit the ball of the ground, you put it in the air, it's and to ride out of the ballpark. Then the humidor came into play. We played on't know how many years there without realizing that the balls were shrinking and getting harder and going farther because we were just putting them in a closet at and eighty feet above su le. So the humidor kind of slowed things down and made it a bit more normal. I do think in Colorado in two thousand and seven, I think we stumbled into the code. It's not like we said, Okay, we're going to do this because of that. But we had power on the corners, we had strength of defense up the middle. We had five pitchers that pretty much all had different skill sets. It wasn't a one size bit tall. And then I was bullpen. We had arms slots almost from nine o'clock on your clock to three o'clock around the board, both right hand and left hand the lineup. We could beat you different wings. We could beat you with power, we could beat you with speed. One of the things that many people realize is the defense we played that year. We set a field it's a major league record still today for the fielding percentage set in the National League. And it wasn't a bunch of gold gliverers. I mean, yes, you had too low and yes you know you had help, and both of them ended up winning go but hid Garrett Atkins at third. You had Kasmntsu at second, get holiday Hop in the outfield. Tavares was a go get in center, but we played airtight defense. We had a lockdown bullpen, and again our starters gave us what we needed. And I think sometimes different people get in different roles and situations and they try and recreate things. I just know this. If you took the team that won the World Series every year and put them in Coors Field the next year, they would win a lot of ball games because they played good baseball. And by recreating something or think you've got something on your hands that there's fear or there's anxiety, I think you worse than it. I still think we're structuring to play good, solid, defensive, fundamental baseball. I do think you have to have variety on your pitching staff with armslaughts, and velocities and spin. But I also think you need to meet the pitchers where they are because you know what you can still get away with hand high fastballs or hiring career. Still a curveball still breaks. We ran away from some things based on what we thought were realities, and basically it's never been more disappointing the offensive value we've put on the field the last two years, for the venue and the environment which we get in which is mind bogging, And we're cutting some teeth with some younger players, but it wasn't all the younger players that are doing a lot of the punching out. So we have tried to as far as just recalibrate. We started with a draft three years ago. We were short on pitching, so as a big influx back to back years to draft, collecting arms, moving some people around the All Star break, moving people over the winter, getting winning some of the heavier contracts to bring in better contracts because we still have some the money. That's hard on the table with some people. But recreating a better pitching depth, a better pitching supply, creating more versatile and athletic ball players. Speed still needs to play at that level. We weren't stolen bases, weren't even a thing until you know, we got Doyle and Tobor and a few other guys. Now that's been recreated. So I do think through the draft we're finding our way back as we're going to be pushing good baseball players and good pitchers up to the Major League level. We still play in a very challenging division. You know, there's no doubt about that. But and I hate to use the word but truthfully, and I tell this to people, I would not be with the Rockies if I didn't believe in what we were doing. I'm sixty seven, and I don't mean that I'm on my debt, but I have better to do with my time if I'm not gonna just go up and just oh, I'm a Rocky, I got a job. I believe we're making a difference. I believe in the direction we're headed in. The fan base deserves it. My goodness, we still draw two and a half almost two and a half million people a year. We've lost one hundred games the back to back seasons, and these fans are still coming out. It's time we fed the fans. If the fans look, you're across the pond. I love that term. But you're a fan. You're wearing a Rockies jersey. I'm not sure what emblem was on top of.
Speaker 3: Russell's hat, Hills perhaps, but I.
Speaker 4: Mean, we've got bands still global. You know that that are around. I just know the joy I saw there in two thousand and seven, we went to the World Series, and I just would love to be a small part of that. Again. That's what I'm hoping, that's what I'm pushing for.
Speaker 2: I'm having for that tea. I love the honset, thank you.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So obviously as we figures of the way through your Korea, then the seasons after two two thousand and seven didn't procress the way you want it.
Speaker 3: You will let go.
Speaker 5: In two thousand and nine, you had a small stint with MLB Network. It's kind of like doing some kind of like analyst that broadcasting. Did you have the itch that you knew that you wanted to get back into to managing pretty soon after you you will let go and you were just waiting for that moment to happen. Or was it a special conversation that you had with with the pirates that kind of brought you back into it.
Speaker 4: I don't think that I ever thought that, hey, there's no problem, I'll just do this MLB thing because I got fired this year. Next year I'll be managing a team. Never gave that a thought. Matter of fact, the following year, in twenty ten, it was pushing up to the winner and I didn't have a coach. I had a couple offers, but they didn't make sense for me. I was going to go back to MLB and sign a you know, like a two or three year deal as an analyst. And then John Daniels, the guys over there, gave me a call about getting back into the game. And it wasn't a manager's job, but when they to me who it was, for the reasoning behind it. I've always been attracted to working for good people for the right reasons, and we have a common goal, and that's what we had in Texas. Now, after that year in Texas, I still wasn't thinking, Okay, I'm just gonna do one year in Texas and pop back in a dugout somewhere. It was a very good job, Russ. I could have been the hitting coach there. John was trying to keep me as a hitting coach there. I mean for real. And then there was a couple teams. I interviewed for two teams that winter and got deep in both interviews. One was with the Mets and one was with the Pirates. And then I knew it at least became real because I kept getting interviews and I kept going and the Mets said, oh, we're three weeks away. The Pirates were like, hey, we want you to manage tomorrow. And I had to give that some time and some thought until the Pirates, I can't decide by tomorrow. Can you give me a little bigger window? They said yes. I went back talk to the Mets because truthfully, everybody in my inner circle was pushing for me to go manage in New York. I was the only person that thought the Pirates job was a good idea because on the surface, eighteen consecutive losing seasons, you know, they'd lost, they had lost a hundred games and back to back seasons. But I just kept being lad, you know I have I have a big I have a faith that's real. And I was being loud. I said, I don't know what it is, but I really believe that I meant to manage in Pittsburgh. I was attracted to the Pirates as a kid. You know, they had they had the most god awful uniforms you could ever have, and they just beat everybody. It was just the family, the Yellow, the Black. When you do into Pittsburgh as a former player, you either loved Pittsburgh or you hate it. There was no one between. I always appreciate it, the hard working mentality, and I thought, what a better place to have another shot? Blue collar people a handshakes reel, they work hard for their money. They've proven to be a great fan base. They do it in hockey, they do it in football, they used to do it in baseball. I was just led to come to get back in that spot. And you know, I fortunately land in a job and was there nine years, and we had a really significant three year run there, which validated all my reasons for why I wanted to be there. Now, I feel very blessed to have had that opportunity. I think anybody in life, when you get a second opportunity, you have a shot to be better. You've learned things on the first one that there were things I did in Pittsburgh I never thought of doing in Colorado. And there's some things I thought you had to do in color I didn't even think about doing in Pittsburgh. You learn as you go, and I was fortunate that I was given another opportunity.
Speaker 5: And from that time, like in between you, I don't know if this is right or wrong for what I've read from bios or not, but This gave the idea that like this is where you picked up an idea about like save of metrics, about like what additional things could be done that you may picked up some of your time in Texas, some of the time actually at MLB Network, But those that Rockies team, sort of the Rockies team, that Pirates team that you then took on board, was one of the really earlier helped his full things like shifting and that side of things. So how did how did you inculporate that sort of thing like into your management that second time round?
Speaker 4: I had to tuck the grumpy old man in my back pocket and tell him to leave the building. And I want to applaud you guys. You know I did a little work. I talked to Josh or you talked to about this podcast. He said, these guys are interesting, they're invested, they're all in. You guys have done your homework and in your research. This makes this very enjoyable for me. But when I went into Pittsburgh, we were probably as invested in analytics as any team in baseball. Probably Tampa and Pittsburgh. We were doing things at the minor league level that no other teams were doing. The two of us. Over the course of the next five years, everybody in baseball got involved, but early on it was us in Tampa, and I can remember the first year them bringing things to my table and I was like, well, wait a minute, what do you mean the third hitter on your team is not the most important hitter. I can remember this conversation like was yesterday, and it was like, okay, well, this was a year after I'd managed to go, well, Andrew McCutcheon, you hit him third all year And I said, well, yeah, that's because the baddest dude on your team hits third, I mean Larry Walker. And they go, well, I know that's the thought, but Andrew McCutcheon actually went to the plate one hundred or two hundred and twelve times with two outs and nobody on and he's your best hitter. And I'm like what, And I said, okay, you got my attention, bring me more. So we started slowly, taking small bites, slowly, then really sitting an older guy, an old school at baseball guy, and just sharing with him how meaningful some analytics can be, not all of them, because not all new information is good. You know, that doesn't make it good because it's new, but when you can put value to it. And then what we were able to do in Pittsburgh was to make a hybrid situation human analytics, the eyeball test that got test, the nuts test, and take the numerical, you know, the analytic part of it, leveraging your bullpen, leveraging your line up certain matchups against certain guys, and combined the two, which what what made it meaningful and what pulled everybody together. And to this day I have a saying now I actually use in the book and said, it's not about old school versus news school, It's about being in school. And in Pittsburgh, I was able to find my way back in thistry.
Speaker 5: No that that that's amazing to hear, because we've recently spoken to people like Kyle Body and and and Zach Scott, and they always talked about the fact that like the culture is actually kind of like the keyst part of like for for making those decisions. So I kind of tip my cat to you as as as someone who's come in and had their had their time and the place to kind of to give those individuals like the chance to to show you what's what and to kind of you to take it on board. It's it's it's always a difficult thing to change your own color.
Speaker 4: To well change. You know, change can bring upon controversy. But again, there's a man myth out there. I dug myself into this sole I'll get myself out. So you're gonna trust the guy that dug the hole to get you out at Nobody bats a thousand. Nobody bats a thousand and their decisions. And I took it upon myself and say, you know what, they put some really smart people in this room. I need to trust and lean into them, and let's see how smart we can be together. And truthfully, you know, when you win a manager of the Year award like I was awarded in twenty thirteen, it wasn't because I was the best manager of the year. I don't think it was because I had really good players. There's no manager's team that finished in fourth place that ever won a manager of the Year award. And some of the moves we made that year, whether it was Neil, whether it was Dan Fox, whether it was bringing kids up from the farm system, it was such a collective effort. And that was like it was in Colorado. But that's when you see success happen is when egos are pushed aside. Everybody's pulling together and we really want to celebrate each other's success. It's not just our own.
Speaker 3: No, that's amazing.
Speaker 2: I love that.
Speaker 1: I do want to ask you very quickly about twenty thirteen. It's taken up so much of your time already, so I do apologize, and we'll we'll wrap soom that twenty thirteen season. You mentioned obviously how fun it was to bring winning back to course Field with the Rockies in two thousand and seven, and you did something very similar with the Pirates.
Speaker 2: In twenty thirteen.
Speaker 1: Obviously twenty straight losing seasons and then that amazing season in twenty thirteen. And I want to talk about that Wildcard game specifically. And I'm not a fan of the Pirates, of course, but I vividly remember watching that there in PNC Park and the home run by Russell Martin and just the chaos that ensued that one game. And I know, ultimately you know that the team didn't go to the World Series, But what did it feel like to bring that feeling back to a city that hadn't had it in such a long time.
Speaker 4: Well, it's been one of the most rewarding things I've ever been involved in, and for a lot of different reasons. One of the first things I did when I was in Pittsburgh is I went up to the people that sell the season tickets and I said, look, I have no idea how hard it's been. I'm just telling you, I'm gonna do everything I can to help make your job easier if we move forward together. Because when you win more games, it's easier to sell tickets. When you don't win games, it's hard to sell tickets, and they're the ones on the phone on the other end getting yelled at, getting bitched at getting you know whatever, it is to see the joy that that season brought downtown vendors, hotels, restaurants, every employee in the organization, especially the people selling the season tickets and the corporate sponsorships. To see that North Shore area just revitalized, and to know that game. I don't think I felt the full impact of that game until later on in the winter. But there were there were kids at that game that, you know, we're twenty five years old and had never you know that they didn't remember when they were five, but had never seen a winning season and a grandfather went with a father who brought his son, so he had three generations of people, whether it be female, grandmother's, you know, mother's kids at that game. Now, the beauty of it is because we hold thirty nine thousand people today. If I go back to Pittsburgh and would walk around town, seventy five thousand people were at that game that night. Because everybody will tell you that wild Card game in twenty thirteen, that was the most amazing game. And it reminded me of when I first went to Pittsburgh and people were telling me about Masarowski shot against the Yankees, the walk off home were in Game seven in nineteen sixty. I heard so many people tell me about that, so I looked up Forbes Field thirty eight thousand people and one hundred thousand people told me they were at the game. But I mean, that's what joy it brings, because you know what people were at the game. They might not have been in the stadium, but they were watching who knows wherever they were a part of it. They were invested. I've been on a run the last couple of years with a football team in America, the Detroit Lions. I've been a Detroit Lion fan for sixty two years. Wow, that's it's been hard. But now the joy in the last couple of years. So it's just a joy. And there's a term for it, guys. You may have heard me talk about it. It's a Buddhist term. It's called moudita mud ita. What it means is showing expressive joy for the success of others. And that's what it comes down to. To look at those stands. I can remember looking in the stands during that run in Colorado, looking in the stands in Pittsburgh, and that you know, obviously through the thirteen seasons, but then in fourteen and fift we won ninety eight games. In twenty fifteen, but the stadiums packed every night, and to see people showing up and just the family atmosphere, the joy. The game of baseball's magic anyway, but when you add the hometown team does good and they've got their favorite players and all that, it's just been one of the things that's made my motor run my time like I still does. You can tell how excited I am talking about it now. So it was significant in a lot of different ways.
Speaker 2: That's just the beauty of sport, isn't it.
Speaker 1: I think it's just that being able to evote those feelings in someone that's extraordinary to hear.
Speaker 2: I'll ask my last question.
Speaker 1: I'll let us get one into But having managed the Rockies and the Pirates, I think there are similarities between those two teams, and I'm fascinated in sort of the way you look back at your experience of managing those two teams and maybe the legacy you have with those fan bases. I know you didn't end up winning a World Series with those teams, and sometimes you know that's all the matters, right is did you win a ring?
Speaker 2: On arts and people? That's all they care about.
Speaker 1: But I think for those two fan bases, and I'll certainly speak as a Rockies fan, you know, the era we had when you were there was was so special beyond you know the meaning of those titles or whatever it might be, but that feeling that you're invoked in people, I think, and those teams of voting people was so special. I'm fascinated in how you look back at that and how fans approach you even today, just looking back at that as a time that teams that teams that have been struggling for success, and I.
Speaker 2: We're desperate for something.
Speaker 1: We're able to write around their teams in ways that they hadn't really been able to for so long, and even since then, maybe haven't quite a minute.
Speaker 2: Nice to get back to those highs again.
Speaker 4: Well, I think when you're in the moment, you always kind of think you have an understanding of what's going on. And I did. I thought I had an understanding of what was going on when you get fired and are asked to leave and your swipe card no longer works in either one of those buildings and now you remove And I truthfully, it was during COVID that it all hit me like a wave on a beach, because they started replaying the games in Colorado an MLB networ they started replaying the games in Pittsburgh. People started reaching out, podcast interviews, whatever, and it was almost like like it was a recreation of the fan base started saying hey, we remember you, Hey remember when or whatever. And to this day now, and some of it's probably got to do with the book, but there's been an appreciation that I probably never realized that they're thankful, and they're thankful for the same reasons why I was thankful. It was an honor to be the manager of the Rockies, it was an honor to be the manager of the Pirates. And I took my job seriously. I didn't take myself seriously. I didn't bat a thousand with the decisions I made, but I gave it everything I had. And I think the acknowledgement of the fan base is now that they're appreciative of that. They've seen a lot of things since then in both places, and they're reaching out now just thanking me for my service, thanking me for my efforts the community, whatever it was involved in. That makes it very special, and it makes it like a big, warm hug. And to this day, you know, if I go back and say October boom the conversation to start, and I was here, I remember this, And if I go back to Pittsburgh and all I going to just say, raise the job, Roger, and they're, oh, my gosh, thirteen fourteen, fifteen and the things that happened there. So it's pretty significant in the fact that there was no World Series Championship, as you said, because that is what a lot of people hold on to. But what I've found out is what people really hold on to or the relationships you build with them and the time that you're with them and the way you go about your work and represent their team. And that's what I feel good about that. I always honored the name on the front of the jersey and I try to take care of the name on the back because that was my family. And I think the fans have been appreciated that in agreement.
Speaker 3: No, that's that's amazing to hear.
Speaker 5: And I kind of feel that My last question now, which is completely utally random, is gonna is gonna full flat slightly afterwards, but I kind of wanted to know if do you know that you have managed in the last tide game in Mighty League Baseball.
Speaker 4: I didn't know that, but I do know because every once in a while somebody will ask me to do They'll they'll do a bio on me for something, and they'll put my record down. They'll put wins lost, and then they'll put a one like after and I'm like, what what's the one? I go, Oh, my god, we had a tied game and I'm trying to think of it was Miami.
Speaker 5: Now I might against the Cubs, I think in twenty sex Okay, in twenty sixteen, it was like a September twenty ninth game that just go rained out and there was no need to play it for the once the season ended.
Speaker 3: So, but that is the last Tide game.
Speaker 5: Obviously one could happen in the future in MLB, but as it stands right now, we have not had a tight game since then.
Speaker 4: And I'm gonna hang my hat on that rust and I'm going to give you one other meaningless stat that I can hold. It's still true today. If I asked you, and this is a loaded question now, but who hit the last home run at Metropolitan Stadium in Minnesota, Your guest would not have been me. But I hit a home I hit the last home run in Metropolitan Stadium before they took They tore it down and built the Metro Dome. Now, the funny thing was the third basement was a good friend of mine, Pete mccannon, who later managed in the big leagues with the Phillies. Pete hit a home run like in this bottom of the seventh, and he was running the basis like he just hit a walk off thinking because we all knew it was the last game, there's going to be a last of everything. He ran the bases and he's waving his arms and the people coming out and they're high five of him. And the top of the eighth, I hit a home run. As I'm running around the bases, he meets me at shortstop in my ear, yelling at me while I'm running around third and actually hits me with his glove as that I'm round third base coming to home and not many people know that that I hit the last home run at Metropolitan and I've got the last tie game as a manager. Those are the kind of things that stile legends are built up.
Speaker 5: Right there, probably one of the only home runs, and you're getting booed by one of your own players hitting.
Speaker 2: That is amazing. Wells Clinton, Yeah, thank you, saying.
Speaker 4: I'm glad we pulled it off. I had no idea what to expect, and you guys, you guys are good fans, You're good people.
Speaker 1: I really enjoyed myself. Thank you for the opportunity. No, we've had such a blast chatting with you. I could literally sit here and ask questions for hours, but I won't. I will say thanks so much for joining us, and I will encourage people to buy your new book of course and check that out, but also to follow you on social media or you're very active on social an amazing message of positivity and joy, so people should should check that out and obviously check out the work you're doing with Rockies as well this season.
Speaker 2: Best of luck with that, and I hope you get a chance to catch up scene.
Speaker 1: But thanks again, Clint, we really appreciate it.
Speaker 4: Neither one of you guys ever get over to Todates. Let me know we'll find a way to connect.
Speaker 1: Really kind, Thanks so much, Clinton, and thanks everyone for listening. Goodbye,