Speaker 1: It's time for Coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety Holy.
Speaker 2: Crap, I don't know who the hell we think when we are.
Speaker 1: Get off our show, idiot.
Speaker 3: The kids are playing or trail off and the countries.
Speaker 2: Are screwing it up.
Speaker 1: Gold Play Inner Murals, Brother, gold Play Inn Murals. They're supposed to be mature adults, but they're really not.
Speaker 3: Who's the kid here?
Speaker 1: Who's the kid here? Are you kidding me?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 1: Here's Nick Coffee.
Speaker 4: I was going to get this thing started by asking everybody if they're ready, and that doesn't really matter, because ready or not, I hope you are ready, But ready or not, we're gonna get this thing started. It's Coffee and Company. Happy Tuesday, everybody. What a tease that weather was yesterday. It's getting colder as the day goes on today whenever we had seventy ish degree weather yesterday. So let's just I guess what you get this time of year. But hey, the cold weather returning can bring me down because we've got you for the next three hours at least I hope we do. That's how long the show is. And if you give us three hours of your time. We really appreciate it, right, Austin. I mean I was gonna think of something we could do for them, but you know, we don't really have anything special for them other than a thank you.
Speaker 3: Gratitude is what we have for them.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, even if you just like to tune into the show for a couple minutes, we hope that we're in your air, in your ear, just a little bit to where you go, like, heck, I want to listen to these guys a little bit more.
Speaker 4: And we hope that if you do get a little sample today, a little taste, that you'll come back for more. So however you're listening, wherever you're listening, and how long you're listening, we thank you. Also big thanks to Thornton's. As you know, we are fueled by Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety. I hope you knew my name. If not, it's Nick Coffee. Nice to meet you, Austin Montgomery. That's the other voice that you're gonna hear. Nice to meet you, Nice to meet you, brother. Let's have some fun today. I'm scrambling a little bit here as we get the show started. Luckily I did prepare earlier. Believe it or not, I do prepare for this show. But on the way in, I was a little late as far as when I typically get here. I mean, I wasn't late, but usually I tried to get here earlier than I did today, only by you know, five ten minutes, because I was in a situation that I feel like has happened before, and I remember bringing it up on the show, like I've had weird daja vu with this, because let me let me share with you what what happened on my way in, and then you tell me if you remember me ever bringing this up, because there's a chance I'm just completely having deja vu, or.
Speaker 3: You know, maybe this is something that happened and I just forgot about it.
Speaker 5: Be a coincidence, by the way, r ip DejaVu, Right, Yeah, that's what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: Yeah, didn't they didn't it burn down?
Speaker 2: Did they did it burn down or did they just take it down?
Speaker 4: I think it caught fire and then they just demolished it. I could totally be wrong there, but yeah, that uh Friday night, Yeah that was That was a gentleman's club over on Taylor Boulevard, and it's the first one I went to because it was the only one that I'll allowed you to get in at eighteen.
Speaker 2: That's right, so here.
Speaker 3: Most of the other ones are are twenty one and older.
Speaker 5: I will never forget the entertainer Love that I end up having a couple of nice minutes with.
Speaker 3: And I remember telling you that was her name.
Speaker 2: Her name was Love.
Speaker 3: Yes, and he only gave you a couple of minutes.
Speaker 5: Yes, Well, that's the best I can do, I think as a personal record at the time, you need to go see.
Speaker 3: The men's clinic.
Speaker 5: Remember I told you a couple maybe have been like a month or two ago. I think I brought it up. And I know that I saw her and like her four kids at mister Gaddy's like two weeks later because I recognized her for I think.
Speaker 3: I told you. I think you told me that story, but I don't remember if it was on the area.
Speaker 2: It is on the area.
Speaker 3: Okays, all right, Well, because.
Speaker 5: We're talking about your we were talking about your radio voice and how it could possibly translate into a strip club detail.
Speaker 4: And that's one of that's one of those things that when you put it out there for the entire world to know, you know you're probably gonna hear me. That's a memorable thing. I wonder if she's still alive maybe, I mean, how long has it been.
Speaker 2: Twelve years ago?
Speaker 4: The lifestyle you need, really the lifestyle that sometime, you know, comes with those that are in that industry.
Speaker 3: I guess maybe you're right.
Speaker 2: You never know. But anyways, telling her.
Speaker 5: That I was in a US Army vet so I thought I could get a little discount didn't work. Huh, I think it did. I think that's when I.
Speaker 2: Oh, so she does support the truth absolutely.
Speaker 4: You just admitted a stolen valor on the air. But at a strip club, I'm not sure if that's something people would you know, ends on Taylor Bullotard. So the deja vu, not the club, but the experience I was. I was right around the old Cardinal Stadium on sixty five heading north, and there was an ambulance that was two lanes over. I was in the fast lane and two lanes over there was an ambulance and.
Speaker 3: Their lights were on.
Speaker 4: It was loud, like it was going crazy, as if you would have assumed that they need to get somewhere. Somebody's gonna die. So I'm kind of just standing here like I can't just stop. I'm clearly not in the way. But it was almost like the guy driving the ambulance didn't realize that he had like all the lights on, which there was no way, Like, I mean, it was it was as loud as I've ever heard, mostly because I was close. But I'm just kind of sitting there looking around, like all right, like he's got the lights on? Is he gonna go around us? And I wasn't even in his lane, but like everybody was just kind of hovered looking over their steering wheel seemingly like.
Speaker 3: All right, is this guy like does here?
Speaker 4: Because he was driving as if he was not in an ambulance, right, like just he was just another driver on the road. And sure enough, like I just kept going, you know, probably like ten under the speed limit with everybody else. And then I realized this guy's not not in a hurry, because everybody's gotten out of his way and he's he's just like he has it on cruise control. So finally I sped up a little bit. But how's that happen? Like what are you supposed to do there? In fact, that's actually kind of dangerous.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I the.
Speaker 4: The only time that I uh, got pulled over really in the last I got a speeding ticket in the last couple of years. It was the first time I ever got a speeding ticket. But prior to that, I hadn't been pulled over in a really really long time, and I'd never had a ticket. But I got a warning because I didn't yield to a fire truck because they were and it it was an issue for me and I didn't like, you didn't move out of the way, yes, but also it was they were probably responding to an accident because there was ice on the road right because it was it was like six o'clock. This is when I was on in the morning. It was like five point thirty in the morning actually, and there was black ice. Like I got on the road to go downtown, and then by the time I got on sixty five, I ended up just seeing every few minutes somebody just sliding just completely just like a like like they're on a ice skating rink, their vehicle hitting like the media and that kind of stuff. So I got off the exit and took the back roads, I mean like Preston Highway essentially to get home because I just I didn't want to get stuck downtown, so I ended up heading back to do the show from home because of the weather, and by the minute it got worse and there was a I was going.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I was probably going to speed limbit. It probably slower, to be honest with you, because of the ice and the light hit yellow and I didn't. I didn't stop because I feel like I would have slid, But also the ambulance wasn't close enough or sorry, the fire truck wasn't close enough to where they would like. If I would have stopped and slid, I would have probably ended up in the middle like in like you know, in the middle of the road as they're trying to turn, and I would have just been in their way. So with the light being yellow, like, I didn't stop them from getting where they needed in any way, I was not in their way. I did run a yellow light, and I think because I asked him, I was like, did you was it because I ran the red light? I said, I, you know, I would have expected, you know, not leniency. But you know, the reason I didn't slam on my brakes at the yellow light is because there's ice here. I didn't even really think anything about the fire truck because it was, you know, far enough away to where I would not have I don't feel like I would have you know, kept them up by any means.
Speaker 3: But you know, I didn't even get a ticket, so I shouldn't.
Speaker 4: But it's still it's still ir hates me because sometimes when they're out like people don't know what to do. Like I'm sure there are people that have been in accidents because you know, everybody's just like, hey, we need to get the hell out.
Speaker 2: Of the way.
Speaker 4: And when you're on the road, like you know, and depending upon how many lanes you have, it can be it can be tricky. But I don't know, I'm starting to just think, Austin that the guy did not realize that he had his lights on because I looked over at him as he got closer because I was slowing down.
Speaker 3: He kept going the same.
Speaker 4: Speed, and he's just chilling, you know what I mean, Like there's no I mean, no look of urgency. He's just driving along. But yet he's got and I'm sure there's different levels to how loud you can make the sirens and that kind of stuff. So anyways, that threw me off a little bit as far as just getting here a little bit later than I wanted to, and then my wife hit me with the dreaded text about school being out for the next few days. So I think Oldham County did this, or maybe it was Harden County recently. And then today we just found out my kids go to Bullet County Public schools, what my daughter does, and they're going to be out the rest of the week to clean the schools because everybody is sick. Do you know anybody knock on Wood that has been sick lately, like with the flu or anything.
Speaker 2: No, I hadn't.
Speaker 5: I know, I haven't, but I have, like just been seeing on Facebook.
Speaker 3: So this is what happens. I'm convinced.
Speaker 4: I can't prove this, but like whenever you whenever you get sick and you and you talk to your friends, colleagues, uh, you know, just people, you know, whenever you get to the point where you can comfortably say, yeah, there's something going around, right, like the maybe not the majority of the people you know have an illness, but like it's not a surprise at all if you talk to somebody and they're down with the flu or something like that. Well, I'm convinced it comes from schools because well, sure you know, tea my daughter's teacher. You know, she'll tell us every now and then as far as just you know, we've got a lot of kids out because my daughter is in and out with different therapies and whatnot. So it's just not uncommon for her to tell us, hey, there's a lot of kids sick, or you know, be careful, make sure everybody washes their hands. Hey, if she starts feeling bad, just know that we had last week a kid in class.
Speaker 3: That had this.
Speaker 4: So she's pretty transparent about that kind of stuff, and she'd started to kind of hint that it was getting bad to where a lot of kids missing schools.
Speaker 3: So that's that's that's where we are.
Speaker 4: But what I'm getting at as far as like where usually we have a situation with the school and then like a week or two later, it's it's all the adults. Kids are bringing home stuff, parents are then taking it to work and getting everybody sick.
Speaker 3: Again. I can't prove it, but.
Speaker 4: The timing here has always seemed to be pretty consistent. That you know, usually you hear about schools having issues with so many so many kids out and teachers too by the way, that's where it really gets. If you've got a bunch of teachers out and they already have a shortage of subs. That's when you get to the point where they just say, Okay, we're going to cancel school for the next few days and just disinfect these all these schools out here because there's just nasty germs getting everybody sick. But you know, now we're scrambling to try to find childcare, which you know is.
Speaker 5: Feel one of those things that went around kind of like after Christmas, because I got pretty sick, and well, I wouldn't say pretty sick, but I definitely felt it. And there was always a talk of what there's something in the air and something spreading, and I would hate that if I got it, because I was literally just sick.
Speaker 2: Like a month. It's ago.
Speaker 4: I have not been like six sick in a while, and I hope that that that stays the case. However, again, when it comes to everybody, usually if if if we get to this point where all the kids at school are sick, my daughter will probably bring something home and give it to me or my wife, And that's just that's just unfortunately, that's just part of life, I suppose, But yeah, in TI that's what they're doing. So it's not like, I mean, it's that's the worst again. I I COVID did a lot of things to change society, but the doing school from home. I mean, I'm to the point now where I feel like those who say, well, hey, it's better than nothing, No, I think it actually is. Like, I mean, it's not ideal for those to go to work or work from home, because like it's just when you throw it at somebody, Hey, we're not going to have school open, so you you know, you need to have somebody to basically do school for your for your kid. Like, it's just it's not It's not easy for a lot of folks. So we'll make it work. I'm sure others have it, you know, a lot worse than us as far as just resources. We've got people that can look after the little one and help her do her NTI. But anyways, before we really dive in here, I'm gonna remind folks of something that I do around this time every year, and that is that college basketball season is flying by. We are now into the month of February. We are well past the midway point of the season. In fact, we only have a month left really of the regular season, and as somebody who loves college basketball, this is where I get to really nerding out to where like, if I know there's a game on, I'm gonna think, Okay, maybe I can go to Apple TV and start binging season two of Severance, which I love, or other shows that you mentioned. Landman, Right, that's a show that I want to Yeah, I want to start that at some point because I keep hearing how great it is. But but it can wait because college basketball season, I can't binge. I can't binge that later. Right, So instead of you know, starting land Man, which again I hear is phenomenal, I'm thinking, you know, what is that Pepperdine. You see Irvine game on at eleven thirty on esp and you you're damn.
Speaker 2: Right it is, And I'm tuning in Billy Bob can wake.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because I'm a sicko for college hoops and I'll be so sad whenever it is it is gone.
Speaker 3: And look, I've always loved college basketball, always will.
Speaker 4: I found a different way to kind of be a big nerd for the sport in the last couple of years, because you know, the team that I care about was essentially dead right, not relevant in any way. So this season's been even more fun because not only am I following along and enjoying everything that comes with college basketball. Louisville is not an elite team by any means, but man, they've been fun to watch. I've enjoyed every second of it, and they're good. The loss to Georgia Tech obviously not a good loss. First time you had one of those, meaning one that doesn't help your resume. And I think they're going to bounce back. They're in Boston College. They're at Boston College tomorrow night, and Boston College is not a very good team, and Louisville has been pretty good in these spots right where they've gone on the road to play teams in the ACC that they should beat, right Like, we saw what they did to SMU, we saw what they did to Syracuse, to Virginia. Boston College is worse than all of those teams. So I expect this team to bounce back, and you know, if they don't, I guess it'll depend on how it looks. But if they win, that's really all that I mean. I don't want to say that's all that matters because it should be. But you know, with you losing to Georgia Tech, you kind of need to beat the bad teams bad or you'll continue to kind of slowly fall. I mean, as we talked about last week, Louisville beat wake Forest by double digits at home, a fifteen and five wake Forest team, and yet they fell in the net rankings, So you kind of need to beat teams badly. But hey, just bouncing back and getting a win, I mean, I guess at that point it really depends on what it looks like.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 4: If they somehow lose this game, then you know, I don't know, I mean, that would be I don't even want to think about it.
Speaker 3: But again, I expect them to win.
Speaker 4: They've proven who they are at this point, especially against opponents like this, but the visual right actually seeing them lose for the first time in a long time over the weekend, I guess more than anything, it's just reminded me that, you know what, they could slip up and loose anybody. And I know I've mentioned that many times over the past few weeks. Is that expecting them to just win every game the rest of the way, I mean, it clearly didn't happen, and it seemed kind of foolish. But I mean, I think they've They've been really consistent, and I think they even came out ready to play against Georgia Tech, meaning like they were good defensively and they withstood an early run from Georgia Tech. It kind of took took control the game, and then they didn't have control of the game, and then it kind of just slipped away, and late game execution wasn't great. They missed some shots. Free throw shooting has been an issue all year, So I think Pat Kelsey's going to tighten some things up.
Speaker 3: And it does look as if Pat.
Speaker 4: Was feeling the same way we felt about Chucky Hepburn being left off of the Bob Coosey Award Top ten watch list. I mean, I don't know how he's not a finalist. He's one of the best point guards in the country, leads the acc and assists and in steals and oh, by the way, he's also averaging fifteen and a half points a game. I mean, I said it yesterday jokingly and again I'm not being serious, but maybe Pat Kelsey is getting so much love deservedly so that people watching Louisville and just seeing how much they've bounced back from the Kenny Payin era, and they're just thinking, Man, this Pat Kelsey guy, he's really impressive, which he is. This guy looks like the perfect fit for Louisville. He seems like he is. All those things are legit. But maybe it has kept people from realizing that he's got a point guard that is one of the best in the country.
Speaker 3: So it's all your fault.
Speaker 4: Pat, I'm kidding, not really, but that might be an explanation because does not see him on there as a real surprise. But anyways, the list that came out yesterday from I think Jeff Borzello is the one who put it out there first. As far as which ten players were finalists for the award, Kelsey shared it with what looks to be an emoji of himself?
Speaker 3: Can you do that?
Speaker 4: By the way I'm spoken, I feel like I should know this as somebody who considers myself to be technical, you know, technologically savvy, So you can create an emoji of your face?
Speaker 5: It looks dead up like you. I think it's called the gen moji or something like that. I don't know, gotcha. I still don't know how to do it, but my buddy sent me one yesterday and he's like, bro, this is really me. And I look at it. I'm like, yeah, that's just an emoji, and then I look at it deeply. I'm like, oh my god, it looks exactly like you.
Speaker 4: So they basically just take like a picture of yourself and cartoon like cartoonize it.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 4: Well, if you go to Pat Kelsey's Twitter account or x whatever you call it, you'll see he just responded with the emoji of himself looking as if he's got a angry slash confused face, which you know, again, if they you look at it like it's it's it's what it looks like.
Speaker 2: I have to go see you go.
Speaker 3: Check it out.
Speaker 4: But anyways, he uh, you know, I get I don't think that Kelsey or Pope, to be honestly, you are the kind of guys that are going to really go out of their way to manufacture some uh some haters as far as.
Speaker 3: You're motivating their team. I just don't think that's how they operate.
Speaker 4: But clearly these guys, Pat Kelsey is somebody that is driven and motivated. He's a competitor. He wouldn't be here if he wasn't. Chucky Hepburn's the same way. So you know, if anything, it's going to fuel him not to say that, you know, I mean, Chucky Hepburn. I feel like, and really that's kind of why this season, you know, one of the reasons why with this season, I haven't given a ton of thought about how far can they go. I mean, clearly, when they were on the streak and they were looking really good, trust me, like I started thinking.
Speaker 3: Okay, like they're pretty good, aren't they?
Speaker 4: And I still think they are, but clearly, you know, the Georgia Tech loss is a reminder that they could be beat by bad teams. But I think Pat Kelsey is really getting the app almost the absolute most out of everybody he has. So therefore, like with Chucky, even if he is motivated, like I think Chucky's given us some of the best basketball he's ever played. And you know, maybe he does have a higher ceiling than what I'm seeing, so maybe he does kind of kick it into overdrive and really start playing even better. But no doubt you could tell that they felt understandably so Kelsey and Chucky, I think they felt kind of disrespected that that Chucky wasn't wasn't on this list.
Speaker 3: All right, Kentucky is in action.
Speaker 4: Then I by the way, I loaded loaded night at college basketball, which means I'm gonna bet and probably lose. But I made a mistake last night. I tried to build that energy. Yeah, you're right, I need to I need to believe in the power of positivity. But last night I was building the parlay, and I there was not many games on overall, and certainly not many games I would be interested in betting on, or that I know much about the teams. So I ended up doing a three leg parlay. But I didn't realize that one of the games I bet on was actually tonight. So I've got two legs down with a three point win for UAB when I took him to cover minus two and a half. So I had a late free throw that kept that one alive. And then I also I can't even remember which which which the other one was, but yeah it was it was at Ohio State, who played like I don't know, it was a big ten game, but I got it. I got I got that one correct, and now just need Rick Petino to cover minus two and a half at home against Marquette, So we shall see what happens. But Kentucky right now there are four and a half point favorites against Ole Miss, and I'm eager to see what this team looks like tonight. For one reason in particular, did they like, did did the emotional toll to.
Speaker 3: You know, did it? Did it? Did it impact this group?
Speaker 4: Because I don't think it will because to be honest, none of these players that played in that game on Saturday night, like there wasn't there can't be any like energy or animosity towards Cal and those players because they none of them know each other at all. Like there's no like a year ago today, none of those guys that are playing for Kentucky this year had any clue that they would ever be playing in rup Arena for Kentucky. So I think the only real issue that they may have as far as maybe just letting one loss get you twice, because that was you know, regardless of them not having any personal connection to the storyline of Cal returning, they clearly know that was a shuemong game for their fans and they came up short. I mean, they had probably the best atmosphere we've seen in a college basketball regular season game in a long time, and their fans were excited. And you know, that was a bad loss to a bad team, at least as far as the resume is concerned. And it's more than just a loss in the record column, and it's a loss that you know, stings the fans. I'm sure they'll get over it soon, and I doubt they're out on this team. But what I'm getting at is, you know, this this group all year. This's one of the things that has been so impressive about Mark Pope. Anytime it looks like Kentucky is vulnerable and you know, oh man, they just lost to a team that they probably shouldn't have lost to.
Speaker 3: And now, man, they got to go on the road.
Speaker 4: They got to go play Tennessee after losing to Vandy, they got to go to Mississippi State after losing to Georgia, and in those moments, and in fact, another example, they lost to Ohio State by twenty and then they had to go to Gonzaga. Anytime they've been in this spot, they've bounced back and won. They never get too high or too low. Now they are in a tough environments and I'll miss a good team. It's a big game. I've got no problem saying it, despite Kentucky losing on Saturday. I mean, Kentucky coming to town is a big deal for a lot of teams, including Ole Miss. So I mean, I have no clue what to expect. I'm not gonna bet on it. But if they end up playing well and win, I mean, what can you say about Mark Pope. I mean, you'd wonder, hey, how you keep beating all these good teams and yet you slip up and lose to some of the teams that you know you're better than. And I'm sure the answer would be, hey, it's a tough night in the SEC that lead, because the SEC is insane this year. But if they even if they play well and come up short, I mean, that probably wouldn't hurt him in the resume and it would still be maybe a good showing. But like, if they come out and get drummed, I'm not really sure what it would mean. I doubt that it would mean that you know their season is going to crumble, but it would be the first time that they didn't bounce back from the kind of loss they took on Saturday. But again, when you need to bounce back off of a loss to a bad team. It's not exactly ideal to have that game be Old Miss at their place, who's a top twenty five team coached by Chris Beard. But again, they've been in this exact spot three other times and they've come through. So we shall see. We shall see tonight. Also we'll get to some super Bowl super Bowl stuff today. That's tough for me to say. And uh, last, but not least, I think the Mavericks now realize like they made a big mistake because they're offering something that is unprecedented when it comes to.
Speaker 3: Taking care of your fans. Because you made you made a mistake.
Speaker 4: I mean they're not saying that, but I'll tell you what they're doing on the other side here and it it I think all but confirms they realize, uh oh, this might not have been the best move for us. All right, quick break, it's coffee and company and we are fueled by Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Now back to coffee and come open a fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 4: Thank you to my Bullet County Public School parents on the text Lon who've let me know that they're not doing NTII tomorrow. They're just going to have traditional closure, which, hey, that makes it easier to where you don't just have to have somebody watch your kid, but you all, you know, actually you just have to do that right The other way, aroun where would be really tricky is to find somebody to not only watch your kid, but you know, help them have school. And I'm sure kids that are older they don't really need somebody to watch them if they can take care of themselves, and they don't really need anybody to like, you know, teach them because they just know what their assignments are that kind of stuff. But you know, everybody's situation is different, so hey, I know they're doing it to keep kids safe, but it really is, you know, to find out within you know, really less than a day's notice that school's out for three straight days.
Speaker 3: I'm sure I'm not. We're not.
Speaker 4: My wife and I can't be the only parents that are like, oh man, this is not convenient. But hey, if it gets the kids healthy, then then that's that's good news. Speaking of good news, I think Jeff Bron made the right decision here with the promotion for Dion Branch, who is going to be.
Speaker 3: The wide receivers coach.
Speaker 4: After Lonnie Galloway left to go work for Bill Belichick at North Carolina, the position opened up, and it makes absolute total sense to elevate Don Branch, one of the best receivers to ever play at Louisville, and of course a guy who has a Super Bowl MVP.
Speaker 3: And he's one to zero as a coach.
Speaker 4: I keep forgetting that he coached that bowl game against Cincinnati up in Boston.
Speaker 3: Man, isn't that the.
Speaker 4: Absolutely the storyline there is crazy how it all came together that our coach left us for Cincinnati while the two teams were getting set to play in a bowl game. I mean, that storyline is something you rarely ever see. But man, I think that'll be a game that people always just forget happened, because you know, Sad didn't coach or anything.
Speaker 2: Like that, was already the coach by then.
Speaker 4: All right, yes, yeah, they were both on the broadcasts, and I remember being irritated because they gave Sat more time than they gave Brahm, and I just was bothered by it. But yeah, Den Branch coached that game, and uh yeah, I mean I think Dan Branch is clearly a good enough player to where he can develop that position. Now, just because you're a great player doesn't always mean you end up being a great coach. But knowing Dean a little bit and knowing people who know him real well, I have no problem.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 4: I don't see any issue with him being able to transition to being out there, you know, developing and coaching that position, especially considering it's a position that he was really really good at. But also he is a really really energetic guy. Has a lot of charisma, really, I mean that big smile he has. I mean, he's he's somebody that can only help you when it comes to recruiting, whether it be I mean, and also not only because of you know his personality and you know his ability to you know.
Speaker 3: To relate to people.
Speaker 4: His resume too, right, Like, if you're if you're calling players that hit the portal or an up and coming player that's a high school recruit, Deon Branch given him a call. I mean, they probably don't remember him playing because it's been some time, but they can they can check it out. This guy was an MVP of the Super Bowl when Tom Brady won one with New England, and I mean, I'm sure there's a there's a random fact that makes it even more impressive. But has Brady ever won and actually, maybe see if you can look this up Austin. Has Brady ever won a Super Bowl and not been the MVP? Part of me says he has multiple times, But maybe Dion is the only one that's able to claim the MVP trophy when Brady was the QB.
Speaker 2: I'm may be wrong, but I think ad On Man.
Speaker 4: Yes, one of his white receivers. I feel like it was also. Yeah, yeah, so let me look that up though, Yeah, check it out. But real quick, what I was mentioning when it comes to Dallas, maybe realizing they made a bad decision. I mean, I guess only they could could could speak to that. But man, this is this is a report coming out coming from one of the TV stations in Dallas, Abby Jones. She says that the Mavericks have offered refunds for the remaining home games this season to fans who have canceled their season ticket plans. It's valued around two thousand dollars, so there are a lot of people and well this has been deleted, so maybe maybe she got it wrong, but that's that's one unprecedented So if in fact it is true, I mean, that's not a I mean again, the NBA franchises in the end, I mean, these pro franchises are not hurting for money anyway, but kind of doing that wouldn't it. I mean, you don't want people canceling tickets, meaning canceling their season ticket plans. But clearly that's happening right now. So if you give them refunds, maybe it's your maybe it's your your offer to say, look, we're going to refund you. We understand you're upset, give us some time. We want you to watch this new version of the Dallas Mavericks without Luca. We're gonna have still gonna have Kyrie and obviously now we've got Anthony Davis. Like maybe they're gonna just say, look, we want you to see how good this team can still be without Luca and in hopes that they will come back and still be season ticket holders. I mean, rarely do you see fans, you know, just quit on their program, quit on their team, because I mean, if you're a if you're not a bandwagon fan, meaning like you're a fan of a team, regardless if they win or lose, and you've gone through I mean, look, Louis of basketball, think about all the scandals they've had, all the misery we've.
Speaker 3: Had the last few years.
Speaker 4: I mean, I wouldn't know how to quit being a fan if I tried, I couldn't, to be honest with you, so hard to imagine that this is the kind of move where Dallas has fans they just decide they're no longer going to support the team. But like, I don't know, maybe this is the kind of move because I knew Luca was beloved in Dallas, But I mean it wasn't something I sat around and thought about often, right, Why would I But to see the reaction from Dallas fans, how they're just devastated. I mean, some people are acting like he died, And you know, I get it.
Speaker 3: He's your he was.
Speaker 4: Your franchise player and was already off to a great star just got you to the NBA Finals. So it is sad, but you know, life goes on.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 5: So Tom Brady has only not been the MVP of the super Bowl, He's won twice. And like I said, that was Deon Branch and Julian Edelman.
Speaker 3: What year was Edelman?
Speaker 2: Edelman was twenty.
Speaker 5: Eighteen, Okay, I think that was when they played the when they played the Falcons.
Speaker 4: That was okay, yea, yeah, was a twenty eight twenty eight three comeback. The real MVP of that game was just the collapse from the Falcons.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was. It was Kyle Shanahan.
Speaker 4: And and so how many Super Bowls did Brady get? I guess after that one? Was it one or two?
Speaker 5: So after that one he went to two, he.
Speaker 3: Went with one more in New England and then Tampa, right, yes, okay.
Speaker 5: No, actually after that one he just only won one more, just just with Tampa, Okay.
Speaker 2: And then that's when.
Speaker 5: That's basically after that year is when Kansas City really started coming up.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Because I mean there are times where I look at Brady and think, man, he really got lucky to have this super Bowl, in that super Bowl.
Speaker 3: Not to say that he's not.
Speaker 4: Great, but obviously he is going to be viewed as the goat for one reason all the rings, and that's what matters in sports at the top. And if I wanted to be a hater and act like he's not great, I don't think I could. I mean, I kind of had to live through it because earlier in his career I was the guy defending Peyton Manning as if, no, he's better than Brady. And then there was a point where I couldn't really do that anymore, and lot of myself for anybody else because Tom Brady was, you know, was great and look him winning if I was somebody that after his career ended in New England felt like he just benefited from, you know, luck, like a team collapsing the way the Falcons did. I mean him winning a super Bowl in his first year with Tampa and then Belichick in New England falling apart. Man that speaks to how good he actually was. So again, thank you for looking that up too, by the way. All right, so let's see here.
Speaker 2: You're welcome.
Speaker 4: This is a this story is it fascinates me and I was gonna make sure we have enough time.
Speaker 3: Here to get to it. But pat Riley has has been.
Speaker 4: Mentioned well quite a bit lately because of the feud seemingly that he has with his star player Jimmy Butler, but also because of this super Bowl win and what it would be for the Chiefs.
Speaker 3: And you're thinking yourself.
Speaker 4: By the hell would pat Riley, the GM of the Heat, be brought up in the Super Bowl conversation. Well, I'll explain. So he is expected to make over a million dollars if the Chiefs win the Super Bowl, and it's all because of a decision he made nearly forty years ago.
Speaker 3: So he led the Lakers.
Speaker 4: To back to back championships in eighty seven and eighty eight. So in eighty nine, the Lakers were about to get their third consecutive championship, so wisely, pat Riley filed a trademark for three peat. So the trademark was granted to Riley and essentially covers everything related to merchandise hats, shirts, I mean, jackets, even backpacks. Anything you can think of that you know you'd put that on. He owns that he has the trademark for it. So the Lakers end up losing in the finals to the Pistons, if you remember, but Riley's trademark is still a thing and it's still paying off decades later. So apparently he made three hundred thousand dollars when the Chicago Bulls completed their three peat in ninety three, and he made another six hundred thousand dollars when they did it again in nineteen ninety eight. Now, again that's a lot of money to anybody as far as my tax bracket. But you got to keep in mind how much money that was in the eighties and early nineties. I mean, that's that's a lot of money. And it's just because he decided to wisely trademark three peat. So not sure how much it's going to be used, but the Kansas City Chiefs, if in fact they end up winning and in having the three peat, they can't sell any merchandise that has it on there without cutting the check.
Speaker 3: To my man, pat.
Speaker 2: Riley, that's a business man right there.
Speaker 3: I mean, what a story, right.
Speaker 4: I mean again, that's I mean, that's a successful guy in a lot of different ways.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 4: He's been a finale, to be honest with you, he's been a he was a phenomenal player, was a phenomenal coach, and now he's been a phenomenal GM. So he's just successful. Therefore, I'm not surprised that he's somebody that's able to, you know, to think ahead and really profit from it. In fact, this is from Awful Announcing. Apparently the NFL has agreed to a deal with pat Riley for a three peat if the Chiefs win. This is from Darren Ravel. Who would know this kind of stuff? This is from from Darren Novel's article. It says Riley's trademark attorney, John Aldrich told us on Tuesday that there is an agreement in place with the NFL to use three pet if it happens. He wouldn't comment on what percentage royalty Riley would make, but did say plans are as has been in the past to earmarket for the pat riy Ley Family Foundation. So it's they go on to mention the same thing we just brought up, but the this is this is from somebody who works for a sports business insider.
Speaker 3: They say that if you if you.
Speaker 4: Adjust for inflation on the previous payouts that he's got. So if you just for inflation on six hundred thousand pat Riley earned in nineteen ninety eight, he'd be in lined to earn another one point two million on a chief Super Bowl win, which, hey, I'm sure that's not a whole lot of money to him given what he's done in his career, but still, who's who's not happy about putting away one point two million all because you had a good idea forty years ago. Must be nice guy just wakes up and succeeds, doesn't he pat Riley, Did you realize he played at Kentucky?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I knew that.
Speaker 4: Okay, I was gonna say, because that's one of the it's one of those things that he's so I mean, he's so old now, and when you think of him in basketball, I think of him as as an NBA guy. Bet I know he's from Kentucky because you know, I'm a little bit older. But I bet there's a lot of people out there that don't. They don't make that connection. But yeah, shout out to pat Rose.
Speaker 5: Now, someone that they always love to kind of in your face one of the players. I mean, I guess it's kind of non thought of, but they'll be like, oh, yeah, and we had pat Riley too. Did he won a championship with them?
Speaker 2: Right or no? Yes?
Speaker 4: So he played from sixty four to sixty Yeah he Let's see, as a players bulk of their championships. Doesn't look like he had a title. But he didn't win an NBA championship and was sec Player of the Year in sixty six. You remember that sixty six year he went off right. Yeah, of course his number forty.
Speaker 3: Two is retired.
Speaker 4: So yeah, I mean, this guy's a five time NBA champion, five time NBA Coach of the Year, non time NBA All Star game head coach. I mean he's a legendary player. I mean as an executive, he's won two titles and he did it indifferent. I mean, guy's been really successful, So shout out to him.
Speaker 5: I love how he kind of doesn't take it literally, doesn't take any flak from nobody, Like he wasn't going to let Lebron try to hold that organization hostage. He doesn't care about getting rid of Jimmy Butler. At some point, these guys got to look at that look at that ring collection. Yeah, like you know what, like maybe we should listen to this guy.
Speaker 4: And you're right with his ring collection and his resume overall, if there is a coach out there that can, you know, pull the resume out and say I don't I'm gonna do what I want to do and I don't need to. I'm not going to cater to anybody. I clearly have proven that at every level of this thing. Player, coach GM, I'm good. I can handle it. And you know there's not many I mean, God, the GM for the Mavericks, like this will end his career.
Speaker 3: This doesn't work out, I mean, you know, and that thing's so weird. I know it is.
Speaker 4: It gets weirder the more time passes, because it still makes me think that they mean, I think everybody's kind of come to the realization that man.
Speaker 3: They hated Luca, like they just had to not like him. So anyways, let's get.
Speaker 4: Too quick break. We'll come back on the other side. Keep this thing rolling along. It's coffee and company. Feel about Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven to ninety.
Speaker 1: Now back to coffee and Company fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 3: That's right, coffee and come.
Speaker 4: You're rolling along here on a Tuesday afternoon, getting the three o'clock hour finished.
Speaker 3: We are taking you up till six o'clock.
Speaker 4: So hang out and if you want to join us on the show, you can follow you to five seven one seventy nine hundred is the number. And let's go to the phone lines and welcome in, Chris. Chris, You're on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 3: What's happening Hey, Nick, how are you doing well about yourself?
Speaker 6: Good? Good? Hey, I was just listening to your all's conversation about pat Riley and my father and my family are originally from upstate New York. My father passed away many years ago. But long story short, Upstate New York not a not an area typically known for basketball, and anyway, my father liked to like the athletics, so he kind of kept up with things up there. And there was a pretty good high school kid and lo and behold kids signed with the University of Kentucky. This was back in the early nineteen sixties. So my father became a UK fan.
Speaker 4: Well, oh wow, so he became a Kentucky fan because that's where Riley ended up going to college.
Speaker 6: Right, that's exactly right. Well, lo and behold about uh oh what about five years four or five years later we moved to Kentucky. Wow, didn't know that was going to happen.
Speaker 3: And now was it was kind of was it was it for work?
Speaker 4: Was it you were trying to get to Kentucky or just kind of life worked out that way to where you ended up here.
Speaker 6: Oh, well, it was it was from work, but it was he ended up going to a different company. Yeah, and it was definitely not expected.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 4: Well that that's you know, I uh, I know that my I'm a big Louisville fan because my father was a big Louisville fan and he got it from his his older brother who's quite a bit older than him. And you know, I think a lot of us who are diehard fans. There's always kind of a root to the story as far as how it all came about and yours. I mean, it's pretty obvious how it all came together.
Speaker 6: Well, it didn't pass from his generation to mine though. Okay, I'm a big, big u of l fan.
Speaker 3: All right, all right, even better? Even better?
Speaker 6: Yeah, definitely.
Speaker 3: Well I appreciate you giving us a call, Chris and sharing that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, how about that ends up in Kentucky because his father gets a job while he was already starting to follow Kentucky because hey, a hell of a ball player from upstate New York pat Riley, I mean, big deal obviously going to Kentucky at that.
Speaker 2: Time, and I didn't know it was from New York.
Speaker 4: Then he ends, Yeah he's from says Rome, New York is where he's from. But Schenectady is Schenectady, Schenectady, something like that. Yeah, Senectity, that's you're right, you said it, You said it correctly. Thank you for correcting me.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's a. That's a that's a hard area of New York. From what I understand, it's a tough area.
Speaker 3: Yeah, in what way? You gotta be curious. It could mean a lot of things.
Speaker 5: Well, it depends on where your brain goes. But it's just it's it's the slums of from what I've heard.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, I mean Upstate New York has got to be a beautiful place in the summer, but a miserable place any other time, I would imagine. But anyways, Yeah, he ends up growing up in Kentucky, I would imagine, and it's because his dad moved here for work and he's a UK fan. But he said, no, I'm going to be a fan of the cards, which I like that. Now, real quick, before we get to the top of the hour. Here, how many Austin. By the way, he has a wrestling podcast that that covers pro wrestling, right, the baby Faces, Yeah, baby Faces podcast. The interviews a lot of different stars from from the WWE and Impact in aw there you go. So he went to the Royal Rumble over the weekend in Indie and you posted a video and it's got what.
Speaker 3: Thirteen million, thirteen million views?
Speaker 2: We went mega vue.
Speaker 4: That's insane and that just fascinates me. How timing you know, you really can't. I don't want to call it just luck, but I mean timing is key when you post something for it to really just start spreading like wildfire and h thirteen million. I mean that's that's insane. I mean, like three thousand followers from it. Yeah, thirteen million views. You got to keep in mind that that alone is in the I mean the percentage of is this on TikTok, It's.
Speaker 2: On Instagram, ig reels?
Speaker 4: Oh wow, so the ig reels doing thirteen million. I mean, that's that's insane. I mean, I'm just trying to think of there are people who probably have millions of followers that'll post something that doesn't get that just just because you know, I mean, that's a.
Speaker 3: Lot of views.
Speaker 4: I've never I've never had anything close to that. My my most viral video that I was that I was responsible for was the was the the TikTok that I can't say what it is on the air, and if you follow me on TikTok or Instagram or Twitter, I'm sure you've seen it. But I played a prank on my wife and I videoed it, and you know, and again like that that's something I thought. I wouldn't have done it if I didn't think it might get a laugh out of some people. But I would have never expected it to be at seven hundred and seventy thousand views. I mean, you just never know, like what's going to really take off. I mean, I don't think that has that video. I don't think it has that many views because it's that funny. It's just because it was funny enough to start for people to start sharing it, and you know, and by the way, you know, it's like I got anything out of that. I did get followers, which I guess was good from from from TikTok from that, But I mean, it's not like I'm monetizing it. And the video that I that I put up that I that has the most views, probably more than anything I'll ever do. It wasn't thirteen million. But Kevin where if you remember when he broke his leg in the championship run within you know, not that long In fact, it was they were getting ready to start practices in the in the fall that next season when Kevin came back and he dunked, and there was a video of it, but I think ended up on somebody's Instagram and I screen recorded it and posted it. And of course, you know, he was a big storyline in the Final four because of just how gruesome the injury was, how Louisville rallied behind him, and then they were able to actually, you know, win the championship. So it was, uh, it was certainly a big deal that he was recovering that quickly. I mean the coverage of I mean I forgot about all that man he was on. Was he on Letterman like, I mean he got hurt and became like an insanely famous person for about five minutes.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he sure was. I remember all the interviews they did, like an ESPN interview with them. I remember them following him like out of the hospital.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he was TMZ everywhere.
Speaker 4: And that's why that video got so much news because TMZ picked it up and embedded it on on their site, and that obviously is going to do big numbers. But it was like a six second clip of actually you know what it was.
Speaker 2: I think I remember that video too.
Speaker 3: It was a vine, that's what it was.
Speaker 2: Yeah, original TikTok.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but that's where I got the video, was vine, and then I shared it and of course you know it went crazy.
Speaker 3: Fine, RP good, that's right.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 4: We got two hours left and some good times along the way before we wrap it up. So hang out with us, and I hope you'll be happy that that you do. I mean, can't guarantee anything, but we're going to try to make the most of these last couple of hours here on a Tuesday, So keep it locked right here on Sports Talk seven to ninety