Speaker 1: All right, I need to dispel something right out of the gates. I'm gonna start out the show with as Sean Wertz say, I.
Speaker 2: Think it's on Fridays.
Speaker 1: I need a airic grievance, and I need to dispel a misconception.
Speaker 2: I'm a fun guy. I'm a fun guy. I don't get enough credit for how much fun I am. I didn't have time.
Speaker 1: To dress up today. I had a busy morning some adult team. All right, and if our staff here at Broadway Media wants me to continue to do this four hour radio show with which is a ratings juggernaut and brings in business to pay salaries, I don't have time to dress up and come in early to enjoy myself. But that doesn't mean I'm not fun. I want it known across our community starting today that when you hear the name Spence check its you think fun, fun guy. I didn't have time to dress up. That doesn't make me someone who doesn't like fun.
Speaker 2: Porter. You know this. We've talked about it.
Speaker 1: When people come up to you on this show street and they're like, hey, tell me about Spence. Better looking in person, in shape for his age, good.
Speaker 2: Lately, good hair, that's enough. Good hair, lying that was a compliment and a lot of fun. And he's a fun guy, right, those are the things you say.
Speaker 3: That was a compliment. You're looking you're looking good, thank you. But also, I'm fun, You're you're fun, You're funk. And listen, you don't have to dress up for Halloween to be fun.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: As you can see, I'm wearing a black T shirt and black sweats today.
Speaker 1: You look like you're dressed up as a bandit. I well, somebody who just robbed a sav or something that.
Speaker 3: Might not be a costume. All right, fair enough, But I also had a busy morning. Sorry, I was at the DMV all day. Oh so I didn't have enough time and I'm not gonna go home and just like put on a cowboy hat. That's not a costume. That's not That's just why we're on the weekend. So yeah, I'm you know, I'm not dressing up. I'm fun too. Times we're both fun.
Speaker 1: Eight seven seven three five three zero seven hundred text in how much fun.
Speaker 3: This show is?
Speaker 4: This?
Speaker 3: This show's fun.
Speaker 2: We'll give you a.
Speaker 1: Gift card to something a fun gift card to do something fun from the most fun.
Speaker 2: People on air in the market.
Speaker 3: I would say so eight.
Speaker 2: Seven seven three five three zero seven hundred. I'm a little.
Speaker 1: Irritated I've been painted as somebody who doesn't like fun.
Speaker 2: I like fun.
Speaker 3: You had a bad night last night.
Speaker 1: Also, also, the Yankees just completely handed it over. That fifth inning meltdown was pathetic. Hello, how are you? The name of this radio program is called The Fun Drive with Spence Checkets. I'm the host. That young man produces it. And let's get on track. All right, busy, busy show. We'll do a little world series. Honestly, that was just pathetic. And Yankees had Game one in their hands. They blew it. Yankee sad, Game five in their hands, blew it. Just a total meltdown. And I wonder if Aaron Boone keeps his job on dead serious interesting article the up at the Athletic. I'm gonna find it because I need to credit the rider because I don't smash as much regular season.
Speaker 2: Baseball as I used to.
Speaker 1: You know, when you do this job, you try to put your energy in places that your audience really wants. And I don't know that baseball moves the needle here like it used to. But playoff baseball is awesome. The World Series was at least intriguing. I'm sure Major League Baseball, the powers that be at the governing body very thrilled with massive numbers, the biggest ratings the World Series has had in a long time. And ultimately you get the two biggest media markets in the world. You get LA and you get New York. You had two of the best brands in Major League Baseball, you get the Yankees and the Dodgers, and then you had i'll say five somewhat compelling games.
Speaker 2: The Dodgers were better. They deserve it.
Speaker 1: The Yankees did not deserve to win last night and just a comedy of airs. But that piece in the Athletic outlined like essentially, and I can understand this because watching the Yankees in the playoffs prior to the World Series, it felt like they had such a powerful, powerful lineup, and then when they faced the Dodgers have the best lineup in baseball and quite frankly have for quite a while. It's got like a decade of Dodger dominance. They only had one World Series and it was COVID, so it fell kind of hollow, so well deserved by that organization.
Speaker 2: I don't know what the Yankees are gonna do.
Speaker 1: Wan Soto came out today, was like, yeah, I'm opening to every club. He's just gonna go to the highest bidder, as most players do as they get a little bit older. But fifth inning meltdown. I don't know that Aaron Boone keeps his job. So maybe we'll do a little World Series. But mostly we have the local stuff to get into. Great night for the Utah Hockey Club. I bounce back win against Calgary five to one.
Speaker 2: There for the.
Speaker 1: Utah Hockey Club. They got their offense back. Good to see Sergachev on a power play goal. Gumpter got his sixth of the year. The Utah Jazz welcome in Victor Wi, Manyama and the San Antonio Spurs. The Jazz are now the only team in the NBA that have not won a game, and I'll tell you I'm here for it for eighty two.
Speaker 2: Please just do what.
Speaker 1: You have to do to maintain your draft capital to try to get a legitimate good piece in the draft next year. Only four NBA games Tonight, the NBA TV Night as it's known around people who watch basketball, Milwaukee, Memphis and then Phoenix and the LA Clippers Houston Dallas go at it. Then, of course the aforementioned Spurs Jazz game at the Delta Center, So head on, doubt if you want to see some jazz basketball. Inching closer and closer to the next game for real, saw Lake, it's do or die for RSL in Minnesota. After really screwing the pooch a little bit, not being able to find a goal here in saut Lake on Tuesday, they're gonna have to try to make a miracle happen on the road against Minnesota. So we'll get to a little RSL and obviously a ton of attention on the weekend ahead in both local and college football. Excuse me, I should say college and pro football because locally both Utah and BYU are on buys, But we do have a lot of great college football games. From a national perspective, Ohio State, Penn State probably top of mind. We've got Michigan and Oregon at the Big House. Your NFL weekend starts tonight with another in bare seeing team of mind, the New York Football Jets and their quarterback known as Throw Rogan taking on the Texans. The Jets are actually a favorite Texans are a little bit banged up. They lost Stefon Diggs, although I do think Nuko Collins is gonna play.
Speaker 2: We'll update you on that. Of course.
Speaker 1: After we say goodnight, you can hear the Jets and the Texans as we are your home of the NFL in this market. All right, good guest lists excited for this. Today we've got Pablo mash Joanna. I was told Pablo's not doing media. We're the only show that's gonna get Pablo, My guy pops between the loss on Tuesday and the match on Saturday, So.
Speaker 2: We're gonna do that right out of the gates. Now, we're gonna bring in Craig.
Speaker 1: Bowlerjack and Gordon Monson live in studio for the Big Show, Big Hour, rought to you by.
Speaker 2: Big O Tires. Danny Knell having caught up with my guy DK from En Why that's an inside joke. He actually did a rap once.
Speaker 1: You can google Danny Cannell DK and what and why When he was playing for the Giants he recorded a rap. Wasn't great, but you know, I appreciate the effort. Canal stops violator. Do you think you can prepare the DK in n Y bump when you bring Danny on.
Speaker 3: I think we did that once and I don't know that he was like as excited about it as I thought he might be.
Speaker 2: Okay, second hear we do that.
Speaker 1: We may have and look it was Rather it's not great as a backup.
Speaker 2: Can you prepare Gordon Hayward? Too big yo, too big yo?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Okay yeah for Canal White guys should never wrap unless your.
Speaker 2: Name is Eminem. I mean the list is like one.
Speaker 3: There's a there's a short select view.
Speaker 2: Who else?
Speaker 1: If you say Macklimore, then I'm going I kind of like Mac Miller. May he rest in peace? Macklimore, Yes he was. He was a good talent. So we'll bring in Canal into Taco Liotle. College football so NFL college Football, RSL, some jazz, and some NBA on a Thursday.
Speaker 2: Our first guest will be Pablo mash Joetti.
Speaker 1: But before we get to my guy Pops, My Guy Pops, go to see of Standard Restaurant supply check out at Standard restaurant dot com or stop by their convenient location at thirty five hundred South.
Speaker 2: They are your tail gate headquarters. God. Now for your opening tip.
Speaker 4: Welcome to the drive with Spence on Utah's number one Sports Talk now into the studio of ESPN seven hundred to set the scene for the show. The opening tip of the drive is brought to you by Standard Restaurant Supply, your one stop shop to build the best tailgate in town. Standard Restaurant Supply thirty five hundred Southwest Temple.
Speaker 1: So, as we've talked about all week, it just feels odd. It's the ever changing landscape of college athletics to have both Utah and BYU football on buys for the second time this year. Now, of course, for the first time this year, Utah and BYU will do battle coming up next Saturday here in Salt Lake City at rysecl Stadium, eight o'clock, eight to fifteen. Tip, excuse me, Porter will get going at four fifteen, Porter, do we have a quick tease for the pregame coverage of the rivalry game we're going to see next week Utah BYU football.
Speaker 3: Actually gonna be a lot of fun. We're gonna be up at the kind of a code drive I guess for the NFL Play Association. We're gonna be up at the tailgate with Nate Orchard, with Stevenson Sylvester Isaacasciata, Jordan Wynn, and a collection of friends from down south as well, trying to gather a bunch of coats for the upcoming winter and preparing for football. So I'll have like an assortment of both BYU and Utah former players that are stopping by each and every segment, but live from the tailgate and hopefully have folks that can bring their extra coats. I'll tease that as we get closer.
Speaker 1: For sure, make sure to come early and check out the tailgate.
Speaker 2: It's a lot of fun. I'll be up there.
Speaker 1: It's going to be a late kick, so we'll all be at the stadium very late. And of course, as we've discussed the cruel irony for youth fans up in this part of the world who a couple will not just cover but care about the University of Utahs that literally every single thing that we thought would happen this year for Utah football is happening about forty miles down south. So BYU rolls up next week with a ton of confidence, with a ton of momentum, and honestly, even though they're not being front facing about it, because whenever Kilanie talks, he just he will never show his hand and he's only going to talk about his respect and love for his mentor and former boss, former head coach that is Kilane Satake actually than Kyle Whittingham, of course, Kilane Jay and a Rod part of that two thousand and eight unbeaten Utah team that went to the Sugar Bowl and beat Alabama. But make no mistake, and you know, talking to some people off air who've been listening to the program and you know kind of chime in with their take, that group will roll up here super motivated and don't think for a second that if it gets loose, and there are a lot of people that think it will. You know, the line has moved just a little bit BYU just a slight favorite. It opened up at four, you can get at about two and a half or two, but it'll it'll continue to move, you know, between now and next Saturday. And obviously early on in the season and line movement was a little bit of a telltale sign about who we would see under center for Utah football coming up, whether it was Cam or Isaac. We just followed the line and suddenly it would spike like five points, like, oh, I guess cams still hurt.
Speaker 2: Coach witt Ad dressed the media and talked about you know and kind of here we go again.
Speaker 1: I understand that people are feeling like this, but it will be Isaac Wilson and Brandon Rose splitting the first team reps. Although Kyle himself said that Isaac has been playing injured. That feels a little bit like the Jazz after they lost to the Clippers in the playoffs. So like, yeah, Rudy and Don were actually hurt. Well, why do you say anything before the series? He just lost, so I can't speak to it. I have no idea. I mean, I think it is safe to say that Isaac looked better early on when he had reps against Southern Utah, Baylor, Utah State, Oklahoma State. Obviously, none of those teams are awesome. I think Baylor has been a little bit better as of late. But Isaac did look better against the competition early on. Prior to you know, Arizona, this didn't look great, and then after goes out against ASU didn't look great. Of course, the offense over the past four games has been anemic by most any measurable metric. They are one of the bottom three offenses in the Big twelve, and ultimately what BYU seems to do well is kind of like the perfect formula for a game that could get a little bit loose for Utah football coming up next week. As of right now, it appears BYU is as healthy as you can possibly be at this point of the season. Connor pay apparently is still in a walking boot, but there's some there's some rumbling, some rumors that he may be ready for the Utah football game. Even with Connor on the sideline, that offensive line has been really good both protecting Jake and opening up holes for.
Speaker 2: Well any of their running backs.
Speaker 1: They have five backs that have had twenty one carries or more and that doesn't even include Miles Davis is at eighteen. You know, that's where they've been injured a little bit. But lj looks healthy, he looks ready. Hinkley Rapati looks healthy, he looks ready, and Jake can run it as well. So Utah football, we're really gonna have to get back to what we've all become accustomed to as far as watching a team who's head coach is Kyle Winningham, and look, the narrative that the defense isn't good is not fair. The metrics do indicate the Utah's defense is elite. Now, you know, I do take a little bit of an issue with people who have blamed the areas of the defense that aren't necessarily proficient, which is odd, and Kyle actually talked about this during his media availability. Utah football is not turning the other team over and they're not pressuring the quarterback. And in order to beat BYU, you're gonna have to pressure Jake and you're probably gonna have to capitalize because here's one thing about Jake. He still does have those moments. And I'm not knocking on the kid because he's been incredible. You know, the preseason predictions had him among the worst quarterbacks in the Big Twelve. Jake has talked about this himself, as he keeps screenshots on his phone to use his motivation. And no matter how you spin it, excuse me, no matter how you spin it, no matter how you look at it, he's gone from being expected to be one of the worst quarterbacks in the conference to undeniably being one of, if not the best, certainly up there with anyone you're gonna talk about.
Speaker 2: So you're gonna have to pressure him.
Speaker 1: And even though Jake has been really good, he still has those moments where he makes those mistakes and those throws where some of them turned into turnovers. BYU has been a little bit fortunate to not have a lot of them come back and bite them, but his decision making has been better. And hopefully you taught football on the defensive side will be healthier than they ever have been luckily. I mean, obviously it sucks to here about money Parks is out for the year, but I don't believe anyone on the defense outside of the early injury injury at corner has been deemed to be out for the year. So hopefully not just Connor O'Toole being back, but Connor O'Toole looking right. Early on in the season, Connor was a beast, causing a lot of chaos in the backfield, then he went down with the injury. Getting Karne back and hopefully back in better game shape coming up. Because obviously you cannot replicate a game, and you can't replicated game like this because it does.
Speaker 2: Get weird more often than not.
Speaker 1: But Utah football as of now in the Big Twelve, number two in scoring defense, number one in total defense, number three, in rushing defense, number two in passing defense, number five in efficiency. They're the best defensive team on both first and third down, but they're eleventh in sacks. They're fifteenth in fumbles forced, they're sixteenth in fumbles recovered. Remember there's only sixteen teams in this league. They're ninth in interceptions, but ultimately they're number one in red zone defense. So most of the metrics still indicate that this defense is something you guys can hand your hat on if you're looking for something to kind of keep that faith alive for the final four games of the year, because, as we've talked about, and as we'll continue to talk about, yes, this team will always be remembered as what could have been and oh my gosh, how did we all get it so wrong? But you can make your mark on this community with a special moment and a special game in the RAVA game against BYU. You can be remembered forever, even if this team will not be remembered in the way that we all thought we would talk about them. All Right, Pablo Mashtutt's going to join us coming up next right out of the gates. We're gonna bring in Pablo, But let me tell you about Prize Picks. Okay, it's the best place to get real money sports action. Over ten million members, billions of dollars in awarded winnings, Prize Picks has made daily fantasy sports accessible to all. So it's the easiest way if you've ever just wanted to dip your toe in the water. But you hear people talking about the point spread and the over under and the money line and three in a hook, like you don't have to learn any of the verbiage, and you probably don't want to anyway, Like, don't go down that rabbit hole. With Prize Picks, it's so much easier. For instance, Jazz Spurs Tonight, Lowry Marketing more or less than twenty one and a half points right, Victor Woman Yama more or less than three and a half blocks, and then you pick more or less on two player stat projections and if you get.
Speaker 2: Those right, that's how you win money.
Speaker 1: And I've done it because they gave me some promotional cash as part of being a client. I've turned twenty bucks in one hundred and eighty dollars because it's just not that hard. So download the app, use the promo code, ESPN seven hundred. You get fifty dollars instantly after you play your first five dollars lineup. So download the prize a Prize Picks app today. It's in the App Store, Google Play Store.
Speaker 2: It's free. Use the promo code ESPN seven hundred.
Speaker 1: I know Fall is about football for a lot of you, and certainly it is for us, but it's also about football or soccer, whatever you want to call it. I'm not judging playoff soccer in MLS is dramatic, it is intense, and it continues on Saturday after a rough one on Tuesday. Our next guest, the head coach of RSL, good enough to take some time during a game week, Pablo Mash Tojo Honey on a Thursday, Pop's happy Thursday, man, how are you doing?
Speaker 6: It's happy Thursday, spends.
Speaker 2: I appreciate the time.
Speaker 1: So when we had you on last and I'm only speaking for myself here, I said from my soccer pee brain, it felt like Minnesota that is scared to play with you and they just want to sit back and try to counter a little bit, and that's what they did, and it just feels like getting a goal in that scenario is really really tough, because getting a goal period is.
Speaker 2: Really really tough.
Speaker 1: As you look back and as you've studied the film, what would you point out today that stood in the way from you guys finding just one solution in order to get that win.
Speaker 6: Yeah, no, I think you know, Minnesota has been a really good defensive team, and the commitment they put towards you know, playing behind the ball, and the commitment they get from eleven makes it extremely difficult. And when we create, you know, we you know, in soccer, there's a there's a static called big chances. And in that game at the weekend, we created three big chances and essentially it's you and the goalkeeper and you and and and we didn't finish those three chances. So it's not the volume of chances you're going to create about them but against them, But it is the quality of the chance that you're going to create and then just finishing. And so you know, what I said postgame was like making a play, and to be fair, their goalkeeper made a play on three of our big chances, and so it's it's just and And the key to that is if you score a goal, their whole plan is kind of thrown out the window and now they have to open themselves up, and now they have to extend themselves. And we've done really really well against teams that open up or press, and what we've struggled is is really being intricate in our play in tight spaces. And and so you know, looking back, there's a couple of things that that we're gonna that we're going to do with possession deeper in uh in in our build to hopefully, you know, create some space between the lines to then be able to exploit those spaces with pace. Because again, if you exp if you break lines and you penetrate their midfield line, but then you take your first touch backwards, you allow the rest of their team to get back, and what they are is committed to get back. And so it's not about, you know, the amount of chances that that you create as much as it is taking advantage of the good chances that you create on goal. And and and again for us, it's going to be scoring the first goal. And that's what we've been working towards. While it's not obviously giving up the defensive side because the obviously the feeling is that we have to go score the goal. But if you concede against these guys, now you have to score two and that's not the game that we want to play.
Speaker 2: So again, you'll have to forgive my ignorance.
Speaker 1: The only time I've seen Minnesota is when you played them, and it does feel like from my recollection they do play the same regardless of venue. Are you anticipating that same style in their place coming up on Saturday?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 6: You know, their coach smitten in common after the game and one of our best chances came when they came out to press us and we broke through their whole team and created a good chance on goal, and he made a reference to you know, we're at our worst when we're opened up. And so for me, just that common alone after that game, uh speaks volumes to what they're.
Speaker 2: Going to do.
Speaker 6: You know that they feel like, well, if we take it the currently six, we feel good about our chances. We have a game to play with. It's the onus is on a Salt Lake to come out and make the game. And what they're really good at, because they've been playing this way for quite some time, is the counter attack. And so the expectation for us is that that they're going to play the same play the same way, wait for their moments and if they don't, you know, I think it's we have an advantage where we feel really comfortable with teams exposing themselves, bringing players forward, and then us being being able to break lines and create more quality opportunities on goal.
Speaker 1: Okay, so let's let's dig into some lineup decisions here, because and again this is just me asking, pontificating aloud and wondering kind of what the motivation was. So we had Matt on, we had Matt Crookson a couple of days ago, and I asked Matt straight up, like, where do you think Doogo uh fits all on the lineup slide?
Speaker 2: You know, where's he best served? He says, he's probably best served as a ten, just like I am.
Speaker 1: You know, we're both kind of central players, and you've been good to kind of help us understand the connecting ability of Matt crooks throughout the course of the season because the stats aren't there, but then you look at the miles ran and you know the work rate is certainly there. So let's start with the decision to go with Matt centralized and bring Diogo off the bench.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think for me, and this is the same conversation with Diogo, it's it's you know, I think Diego is still trying to, you know, figure out a lot of things about the league, a lot of things with our team, and he actually came in the team when we're going through a really rough time. And so my conversation with Diego is the same as I'll explain you now, is it's just understanding the role on both sides of the ball really clearly. And I think that's where Matt has an edge. And for me, going you know, with a guy that has ten months of experience playing with the screw, going through some good times, going through some tough times, it's just the familiarity that that that I have with Crooks in that position, and then you can look at other positions and go, okay, so then how can we adjust it? But with Crooks, it's been he is the glue to our team and like you really pointed out, you're not going to see it in the stats, but the way he's been linking with Andreas and and the way he's been linking with dom who who you know, he played into, you know, create one of our best chances of the game against Minnesota, is is too important to leave him off the fields. And then the other part with Crooks against the team like Minnesota who play for set pieces and they're huge, is also that that what he brings on set pieces from just an aerial ability. And so those are some of the decisions you know that went in, you know, when I'm explaining things to Diogo as to why I'm going with Matt Crooks. And the other part of that is is Diego has had his best moments for us when he's come into games of the game against the Austin and the game against Portland. Uh, those are two games that he scored in and he's coming into the game when the game's a bit tired. He there's a little bit more space and he's got an eye for goal. And so always having that in your back pocket is just as important as picking the starting team is who are the guys that are going to come in if the if the game state is such. And so those are the conversations I had with you know, with both those guys.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, now you elected to uh, you know later on the game bring on Diego and uh, you you decided to take off Diego Luna. Now for my money, Pablo Diego. And this is just me, you know, kind of witnessing and watching. I feel like Diego might be in the best form of any of the attacking players right now.
Speaker 7: So take us.
Speaker 2: Okay, So take us through that decision.
Speaker 1: Why you ended up to tall, you know, bringing in Diego in place of Diego Luna.
Speaker 6: Yeah, because Diego Luna was cramping.
Speaker 2: Oh okay.
Speaker 6: And so again these are really good quest because again, if you just look at it from peripheral, you have no idea as as to all the different variables that go into making these decisions. So Diego was cramping, he'd been he's had a cold for a couple of days. And and again, when you're in the playoffs, it's not like we can we can wait and see if you can get through it. It's more about how do we how do we keep the same level of intensity on both sides of the ball. And and so Diego, the decision with Data Luna was nothing more than he was cramping and just wanted to make sure that we had legs to to finish out the game the right way.
Speaker 1: Now I got to follow up how's he feeling? Obviously, if it's only cramps, that's plenty of time to recover for Saturday.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 6: So again, I think the cramping piece comes from probably taking the meds. Right, So if you're sick and you got the sniffles and you're taking things that are that are going to you know, stop you up from from doing that naturally, You're you're taking water out of the system and it's not functioning the right way.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 6: Talked to him this morning and he says, feels great. So that's a real positive heading into the weekends.
Speaker 1: So Julio Anderson comes in for Crooks for Maddie, and honestly, when I saw Anderson warming up, I thought you were going to take Chicho off because he just continues to struggle to fire. And look, he spoiled us. I want to be very clear, like this is his fault. The reason we're all mad is because he spoiled us. He shouldn't have had the start of the season that he had.
Speaker 6: So they're exactly right. Expectations are what leads to disappointment.
Speaker 2: Man, hope kills us all.
Speaker 1: I know you've never seen Ted Lasso, but I did, and that was that was the line there. So Julio for Crooks instead of Chicho to take us through that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, No, I think it's the same thing. I'm hanging on the same thing I think everyone is. Is if there's one guy that can create a moment of brilliance out of nowhere, it's Chicho. And he doesn't need to be necessarily you know, like earlier in the season that he might have had games where he wasn't necessarily playing the best, but in the right moment, if there's anyone on this team that you want on the ball, you know, whether it's at midfield or thirty yards out or a free kick, I'm hanging on the same hope as everyone else is, like when is when is this you know, curse going to be taken? You know, when is he going to step into the limelight. And so that was the thought behind that. And then obviously what we realized again with Andal going up there out there and exposing some of their deficiencies in the back line is we need to move their back line a lot more than we did, and the only way to do that is to play behind the line, in other words, looking for balls to get in behind, and that's not chi Cho's strength, and just thought that Chichos a very good pass of the ball and with Ando running what we'll create some chances. And then the game did open up a little bit there in the second half, but we want to be more consistent with that heading into this next game.
Speaker 1: So certainly I would never tell you how to do your job. I will say this. I mean, obviously, if you ever want to come in and do four hours of radio, I'll go run training Pablo. We can we can do a straight what do they call that? Like for like in soccer, But it's yeah, it felt like when you brought brodyon and pushed a mech back to you know, a centralized midfield role, the team looked a little bit different.
Speaker 2: And look, he's so good, you can move him around.
Speaker 1: But I mean it's due or die time, right, So I would imagine moving forward, you like a Mecca centralized in the midfield.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, And again that's a byproduct of losing Bearra for three games, right. Just to be fair to Gervane, I thought he did a fantastic job filling in for Bara. But again, now from an attacking perspective, we don't have the left foot that can play balls into those areas. You know, from a more comfortable position. And so yeah, you know, again, coaching is and oftentimes it's not from a place of ideal, it's from a place of needs. And in that particular case, a Mecca, we had a mech out there to start because of how robust and how quick they are on the counter and making sure that we solidify that. But obviously when a Mecca went in the middle of the field, you know, the game changed and we were able to penetrate centrally with him driving, with him picking up second balls, and so our team is completely different with the Mecca in the middle of the field.
Speaker 1: So now over to the most unfair media question of all time, because your penalty kick situation before has worked very well and Justin Glad is the one that scored the game winning penalty against Seattle. But you know the deal, when it doesn't work, you've got to talk about it. And I've heard from you know, we've had players on the show and then Donny on the broadcast. Now I believe you yourself, Pablo have talked about you know, not wanting to have your Okay, here's my five, then here's my next five, and having it scripted correct. So how do you approach that situation? Kind of explain that to our listeners.
Speaker 6: Yeah, no, I again, we did things different, Spen. So I want to get to my intuition, which is to not have it scripted. And you know, obviously Chi show Geoger got Anderson, and you know, we had two other guys that were going to take one in front of Justin Glad, Alex Katronis and Dominic, and both those guys said that they were cramping and they didn't feel comfortable taking it right, and so as a coach, and then then you go to the next one and you say, Jake Glad, you're ready to take one? And he said, yes, you know, And so we had our five picked out and the Mecca was going to always be fifth. But those are little situations again that you have to those are real time. So even though it was scripted that we had Alex in there, then it's real time and it's like, yeah, I just don't feel comfortable with Mike growing. And then Dominic had a calf, and so then what we need shooters, right, we need someone to step up, and so you know, Jay Glad stepped up and unfortunately didn't didn't make his but but again, I think it's all it's all collaborative. It's not it's not just you know, me going you're the five. It's it's we had a five and then when when two guys kind of pull out and then you have to go to the next guy and then oh, hey it was six, and so yeah, but that's that's that's a part of it. And you know, that's one of the things I've been talking to the players about is don't confuse the performance with the result, right, especially when it comes to penalty kicks, because it's really about tapping in a a ball from twelve yards out, and for as easy as it is on Tuesday, you know, with twenty thousand people in the stadium and walking fifty yards to the ball, it's a lonely place to be. And so if it's if you're not confident, if you don't believe, if you're not hitting the back of the net in your mind before you step up to the ball, that goal becomes a lot smaller and that that ball becomes a lot bigger.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 6: So you know, we'll work on those again tomorrow. But I think we've seen the last couple of weeks guys that we feel comfortable, and not that we feel comfortable, that they feel comfortable stepping up and taking a pek if it needs if we get to that point.
Speaker 1: So let's get into some bright spots from my perspective, and then we'll talk about Saturday. Then I'll set you loose today. Dominick Dominic Mark Zuke. You know, the more and more I watch him, the more and more I feel like there's a lot to like. He created a couple of really really good chances. One to diego that I thought the Saint Claire kid was good. I mean, you got to tip your cap to their keeper, yep. But I thought Mark Zuke had a really bright match for you. Tell me what you saw from your vantage point.
Speaker 6: Yeah, no, he continues to impress. You know again, I think a lot. You know what you see on Saturday, But for me, it's even deeper. It's it's a young man that's coming across to a new country for the first time in his life, moving away from his family and all of home, and learning to how we want to play, learning what this league is all about, and then exhibiting his skill sets. And I think on offense, his ability to get forward and look for his teammates in dangerous areas. Has been a real, real bright spot. And then defensively is graft to do all the work that and it's not it's not always easy in this league because it's very there's a lot of transition, but he seems to you know, hold his own in that department as well, And so I think with time, you know, there's there's hopeful that he will be one of the best wingers in this league. And he's and with every game I see a player with more and more confidence and the ability to name for himself in this league. And then you know in world football as.
Speaker 1: Well, several bright moments for Toronto's are left back and you know, he's kind of landed and solidified that spot. And I know how much you trust him, but I thought he was another bright spot on Tuesday.
Speaker 2: Give me, give me your thoughts on that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, No, I think Katronta's uh, you know, he's a gamer, he's got he's got a great mindset, he competes the right way, he's he's he's good going forward and I think more than anything else, the way he could competed, you know, against Minnesota on Tuesday was fantastic and and and and I think that's what, you know, it stifles their attack on the right side when when he's aggressive, when he's got the right mindset, when he's winning his duels, and and I think he did a great job of that. And so both on the right with you know, uh Dominic, and on the left with with Katronis Is it's critical for us to be able to maintain control of the game with and without the ball.
Speaker 1: I was proud of Zach, you know, ultimately, like when he took that, to take a shot at that speed in that weather, like he did right off his chest, I was like, well, Zach's dead. They're gonna have to you know, like I that looked. I mean, if you've ever been hit with a soccer ball, it is it's not awesome.
Speaker 2: And I'm sure it's happened to you several times.
Speaker 1: But I thought he stepped up in a way that silenced a lot of people that have just been crushing him all year.
Speaker 2: So little kudos to your keeper on a on a Thursday.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, no, I thought I thought it was a fantastic performance, you know, And I think, you know, is really interesting because again, the obviously when you don't score goal there's not a lot of cheers on the on the offensive side, but the amount of cheers coming from from that side of the stadium every time he made a save was was really profound. And and and again it it it gives the guys the boost that they need, right because because again, game of soccer is hard to score goals. And when you're keeper standing on his head back there and he's basically saying with his performance, we got this guy's you know, and it stills belief in the group. And and it's not easy and oftentimes, you know, we talk about, you know, given players confidence, and I think this is a really important point with like with with all players in all sports, is the coach gives you confidence by putting you on the field, and you give the coach and the rest of the team confidence by your performance. And so, you know, when Zach was inserted back in the lineup, it wasn't like we had this pow wow and like, hey, Kumbai, everything's great. It's go out there and show everyone right, go out there and prove that you belong out here. And and so that's you know, behind all the you know, the s says that he made at the weekend I'm just proud of the responsibility he took and the confidence that he that he that was drived from inside to show what he's capable of doing when everyone else thought he was he was you know that that he shouldn't be there. And so I think every every game, every training session is an opportunity for players to bring confidence to themselves by the way they apply the work and training, by the way they apply the work in games. And and now we have a really confident goalkeeper where you know, five six weeks ago, you know, you and I were on the phone talking about who's the number one and who's performing great, and now it's it's clear that zach Is is a guy that's ready for the moment.
Speaker 1: Jay Glad and Oheeda I have been two of your best players all year and one snapshot PK moment will not define their contributions.
Speaker 2: Did you do you say.
Speaker 1: Anything the guys in that moment or do you just kind of let it die and move on and focus on.
Speaker 6: The next Yeah, no, I think again, I don't focus in on that part of it. And like I said earlier, you know, I talk about the performance, and we performed well enough to win that game. And we just got to be sharper and and hope on the day that their goalkeeper isn't as sharp as he was, right, So it's a combination of everything, and so is to make sure that you know, the PK shoot at isn't a reflection of the way we performed, and we got to go out and improve our performance, right, but without allowing the motions of the PK get involved to where it starts to detract from their ability to play in the ninety minutes. And so the focus is, you know, in the last days has been we've got to win this game in the ninety minutes and being well balanced on defense as well as being sharp on offense. I think we can get to that point. And so it's listen, there's no lonelier place to be than shooting a PK missing and then walking back. And so how quickly you know, we can take the attention off that and focus on getting back to work and improving the ninety minutes is critical, I think to the team and in particular those two players' mindsets.
Speaker 2: So you're going to luck.
Speaker 1: Out a little bit with weather on Saturday, Saint Paul's about fifty nine degrees and no rain, and it's going to rain for three days after that. So that's good because with good weather itich means you guys can maybe express yourselves in an attacking way a little bit differently, Let's start with what getting Brian back does for you and kind of where he's at mentally after he's he's taken a lot of heat and he deserves it. He knows it, you know, obviously you and I talked about it, But where is his head at and what does his re entry into the lineup being for you guys on Saturday.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think it's a it's a it's a it's a great opportunity for him and a great moment for us to go back and having you know, Jervaine on the right and and Bear on the left, and obviously his will you know, he'll pick off or Javaine left off with his with his you know, aggressiveness, his ability to to win one d one duels, and that's that's a strength of VARA's. But the other part of Era, especially against a team that's really stingy defensively, is utilizing him on set pieces and and and and letting that left foot go a little bit more and he brings that that, you know, that advantage to to our group from from a set piece perspective. So the other part is, you know, his ability to play a left footed ball into a channel that kind of curls into the forward versus a right footed player that's more times than not the ball starts running towards the sideline from that position. So I think on you know, all sides, on both sides of the ball and all phases of the game, Vera you know, makes her team a much more competitive group. And then obviously putting Javane on the right allows players to play positions that they're comfortable in.
Speaker 2: All right, last thing that I'll set you loose.
Speaker 1: After studying the tape and as you pointed out earlier in the interview, understanding that Minnesota is going to play the very same way, have you been able to, you know, with your staff, either look at different attacking options in the lineup or looking at different attacking tactics to try to because I think if you can just get one, I think it would change the entire scope.
Speaker 2: Then they'll have to engage you.
Speaker 1: And if they engage you, I have confidence you guys can outplay them. So how do you find that first solution, I guess is a much easier way of asking it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, No, I think that's a great question, and I'd say both. So we've identified both, right, because obviously, with a change of tactics and not changing tactics, but adding wrinkles within the tactics, you're going to rely on players' natural abilities, right, and so so in order to to throw a wrinkle in the in our attacking scheme, we're going to also tweak it with with personnel that is more likely to perform those actions than asking somebody to do something that they're not comfortable doing, right. And so the biggest thing for me is when we break lines, in other words, where we eliminate three or four of their defensive players, especially you know they have a tight group of five upfront, and when we eliminate these guys with a pass is to make sure that we're attacking their back five and and oftentimes I felt like in this last game, is we break a line to go forward, our first touch cub is back, which allows them to get back into a shape which now they're in a five four to one close to goal, and it's very hard to find spaces to to operate and to be you know, and to control the game in that in that phase as far as creating quality chances. And so for me, it's it's really about breaking lines and being very aggressive with our attack and and and then and disorganizing their back line as opposed to letting them get back into the shape. So that's going to take you a wrinkle in tactics and a change in personnel in order to hopefully achieve what we want, knowing that we have great players to come into the game and make the difference when it opens up.
Speaker 1: Well, look, man, I have cleared my calendar. On Saturday, November the eighth, at seven o'clock PM back here in our market, I'm told tickets are selling fast.
Speaker 2: So you've got an army back here cheering you on up there. Go get it done.
Speaker 7: Okay, let's go.
Speaker 1: Spence, appreciate it, Bud, all right, Pablo mash Johnny head coach of RSL one more shot to create a moment and find a solution.
Speaker 2: Saturday in Minnesota.
Speaker 4: For fifteen years, the Big Show dominated the Utah Sports talk airwaves. First it was Craig Bowler, Jack and Gordon Monson, followed by Spence.
Speaker 2: Check its in Monson.
Speaker 4: Now all three are reunited on the drive. It's time for the Big Show Hour Drive it spends. Check its exclusively on ESPN seven hundred.
Speaker 2: We've done it once again.
Speaker 1: We're on a hot streak. That's two straight weeks, which is a streak. You get all three of us in the studio. It's time for the Big Show, Big Hour. Brought to you by Big Old Tires. It's their falling a saving sale. You can save up to one hundred and twenty dollars off a select set of tires.
Speaker 2: But Big Old Tires, they're your one.
Speaker 1: Stop shop for anything you need automotive repair. Check out their website Big O' tires dot com to find a location near you. Craig Bowler, Jack Gordon Monson, gentlemen, Happy Halloween.
Speaker 2: How are you doing.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it's good to see you guys. And I just want to know that this all happened, because you know, we got Gordon in two straight weeks with the with a special nil you know, deposit in his account.
Speaker 2: Oh that's good, because I was afraid he was going to transfer on us.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I'm glad we got I thought he could be in the portal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure, but we drew him back.
Speaker 5: It's never about the money, oh never, never, No, Yeah, it's the kids.
Speaker 2: It's always about the kids. The kids.
Speaker 1: But right out of the gates, we've got to get Gordon's take. So we were talking about the interview I just did with Pablo Masconti, the head coach of RSL and Gordon as you know Minnesota imply. You know, they implore a tactic where they put eleven behind the ball and park the bus. As they say, tactically, how does RSL break down that that style of defense?
Speaker 5: Attack, attack, press forward, because you kind of if they're parking the bus.
Speaker 2: You know what, I hate it when teams do that.
Speaker 5: You got to you gotta force them out of that, and the best way to do that is with numbers.
Speaker 2: You know, Spence may follow up, please do I'm curious.
Speaker 8: So with parking the bush, Gordo, how do you go about like maybe blowing out one or two tires of that bus.
Speaker 5: Well, you don't want to do that because you want to move the bus, the entire bus, the entire bus. So you want to move the entire bus, not flatten it. No, no, you want to get it out. Yeah, just move it.
Speaker 2: And movement.
Speaker 5: Well, you know this from all the sports that you've covered through the years and spency.
Speaker 2: You play a lot of sports.
Speaker 5: Movement, movement is really important, good form and movement. If RSOL does that, I think they'll be overcome.
Speaker 2: Last one here, because you're a historian of sorts.
Speaker 1: Which manager, historically speaking, has been most successful at attacking this type of defense.
Speaker 5: Oh man, that's a tough one because you know, I think it might be Carl Fisher.
Speaker 2: Carl Fisher, it always comes back.
Speaker 1: He must have been quite the savant because it always lands on Carl Fisher.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I don't know who he is. You know, I will research that. I want to research all.
Speaker 1: Right, Moving on Craig, Unfortunately we have to start with just such a sad situation. Taylor Hendrix comes back and you're like, the dude looks different.
Speaker 2: His body was bigger and stronger.
Speaker 1: For the first couple of games, he had great individual isolation defensive moments on jaw on Luca. And I was telling you that at night there was like four different There was football, there was World Series. So I'm flipping back and forth. I get ten techs say the same thing. Did you see what just happened to Taylor switch back, do one watch? I'm not a replay when you see a lego the other way? Guy, you were courtside. What was it like in the moment and what have you heard since?
Speaker 8: Well, you know, I just my gut dropped because in my career, I've seen so many of these leg and knee injuries and I have a tough time and the truck does too. By the way, Yeah, whether it's network and what we do locally here, it is a tough, tough replay. Sometimes we'll look back at it during the commercial break because ultimately they take you to break soon after because the medical teams come out and they did a great job getting there quickly. Hats off to Dallas. They were there quickly. But I you know what's weird, Gordo is I just had this weird tunnel, you know, like look at it is like it was like, okay, it wasn't the full floor. It's almost like, you know, there were players and fans, but there was just enough, just enough of a crack for me to just kind of go, oh man. And that was my gut inside was oh man. And I don't know even what I said, but the after effects of Will's reaction spoke volumes, and then I thought the most important part, I thought to show you what the team concept is is Keyante's reaction. You see a young man's eyes flooded with tears and then to hold back the I think just to absolutely cry out loud, was for him to chew on that towel for a minute or two or more. And then I've found later that those two were close. Those two had worked during the off season to really prepare for the jump, and they both wanted to be guys in their second years to as they say, pop and it's just tough to see the what they hope would be the future core of this team. One of them has to take a step back, and you know, I don't I don't know when the surgery, if it has happened. I was told on Monday that the process was still just the evaluation was still going on. They made that public with Will, so they'll probably be quiet just to protect his privacy, and I understand that, but you know, you just have to hope him the best. It's good to be young and twenty. It's a difficult one to come back from. There's multiple injuries that we can all remember, right, seeing guys who do come back and then some who don't. But you have to. You have to in the mindset. Man, it's a mental mental game right now. And I wish him well. He had in spenced your point, He had put on weight, a muscle, and he was defending well and he's actually starting to get more confident with his three point shot with a little bit more spreading on the floor. So it's really rough for the Jazz, but also tougher for Taylor Hendricks Gordon. If I could spin this in a way that eventually my be positive, I can remember. So like Blake Griffin rookie year, it's a different injury, but he had to sit his entire rookie year and that gave Blake an extra year to develop. And what that ended up doing is putting Blake kind of in the beginning of his prime when they had Chris Paul there and DeAndre Jordan and it was lob sitting.
Speaker 2: They're really good.
Speaker 1: They didn't win a trophy, but they were a playoff team.
Speaker 2: They were really good. And if you look at let me just say this, the Jazz are losing and I'm here for it, all right. That's just me as you know, we've talked about it.
Speaker 1: So if this is the deal, if it's going to be rough all year and they knock on wood, get some lottery luck. And if you've been watching the early returns of Duke basketball, you can see Cooper flag up close. I'm salivating thinking about the potential. So it gives Taylor, first of all, lucky that he's twenty. Because he's young, he'll recover. The Jazz medical team is great, and if you play the tape forward, maybe it gives Taylor some extra time to develop and these younger players to grow and they can gell a little bit more together. I'm trying to be positive, but it has happened before. It actually did happen in Philly with Ben Simmons too, but then something happened with him and he just has been the same player. So if the timeline works out, it might ultimately at the end if we played forward, be a positive.
Speaker 5: I guess as long as the mental stuff comes back together. You know, I've talked to athletes before and they they're hesitant to ever admit about the mental side of overcoming a physical problem.
Speaker 2: And if he can do that, then you're right. I agree with you one hundred percent.
Speaker 5: Never as good as actually having an opportunity to play. But it's not like it's useless. It's not like it's a waste. But I mean, I've talked to trainers before, you know, the first guys, the doctors on the scene of something like that, and these guys have had injuries before and whatnot. But even then, the trainers told me that they count on their bodies as this is their vehicle. We all do, right, we're all human, but these guys use their bodies in their work in a way that is, they depend on it. And so when something like that happened, it's shocking to anyone, but to an athlete who's depended on that leg his whole career, this is kind of a weird thing for him to go through. One question I have for you Bowler, though, is you talked about decisions about showing the replay.
Speaker 2: Who makes that decision?
Speaker 8: Ultimately, Uh, you have to trust producer director where they have a millisecond or two to decide, you know, the gruesomeness of the injury. And also I think too, you know, society has changed a lot from the days of thisament on Monday Night football. You remember the match Dicks, his legs snapped in half, and how many times can you replay that? You know, it's really up to I think the personalities of the guys I work with both at CBS, Fox and ESPN, and with the guys with the Jazz, they have a better view of it than I do, and I have to trust them that that's not what we want to see right now, especially when the ankle the ankle is pulled to the right about four inches and that that you know he's got a tibial you know break as well, and you know then the look in his eyes. I mean I saw all of that in a flash, and some people want to replay that stuff and see it. I get it, but I think they're trying to also protect the interest of the player.
Speaker 1: What would you do, Spence, if you were the producer going to break? I mean, look, that's what we did. Yeah you did, and I thought it was the right call. I don't know if it was my guy travor what have you, but like in this day and age, if you want to go find that, you can in five minutes. I mean I had three texts with the video, yeah, you know, within two minutes of that happened. Multiple angles that were that were that were shown on on well what is no X and any social media outlet. You could get your full taste of it. If you want to rewind and play rewind it. Yeah, if you want to be a masochist on your time, go ahead. But for the broadcasting, for the kid, let's go to break.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think I think there's a lot to do with it.
Speaker 8: Is to protect the moment for him, even though fans are intrigued to say worally what happened to him? You know did when I saw it again, his body weight really fell back on the right side of his leg and I think that, you know, a little stumble with his left toe shoe and then boom it just it happens so quickly in any sport injury. It's almost like you're dumbfounded and you know, getting back to what you're saying, Gordo, I think with this, from my experience, is that he won't be left alone. He'll have a trainer working with him. But there's a loneliness that sets in because you're so used all your life to be a part of a team concept and to be a part of the group, the huddle that's starting five or the eleven in football, and you have to be mentally tough. Whoever's working with you has to be special because they have to push you beyond your own mind's limits. And I think for him being twenty, he'll learn a lot about himself in this process.
Speaker 7: Guys.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean, this is going to be a mental war about how far can I go? How far can I push myself? And the guys that work with him won't. We won't see much of them in the public eye, but they may be the most couple of most important people in his life over the next fourteen twelve to fourteen months.
Speaker 5: After develop a trust, you do to okay, push me, don't push me too far. But when you push me and then help me overcome any kind of lingering fear.
Speaker 2: But when you're alone, that's where it can collapse on you, whether it's dark places or you doubt yourself, why me, Oh my God.
Speaker 8: To get into that mindset, the loneliness sets in because you know what the guys around playing, and all you can do is maybe watch and you'll maybe hit a game or two, or you're rehabbing, but you know the teammates will be important too to stay in contact with Taylor because again, being a young club, they're all trying to grow together and build this championship, you know, hopeful, this drive to a title. And now Taylor, one of the bigger pieces is out and man, you just don't want to go dark places. You've got to stay positive and a lot of people around you will help that.
Speaker 5: I'm sorry, I've been told this and I don't know. I'm trying to figure my own experience. But people say, who go through some sort of trauma like that, they many of them have told me that when it's the most painful moment is when they wake up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well in the morning. It could be two weeks later, first thing.
Speaker 5: They wake up and they relive it all over again because they're used.
Speaker 2: To getting up and jumping around and doing what they do.
Speaker 5: And there it is, there, injuries there, and they have to overcome it.
Speaker 8: You may have a nice sleep and no tell them what the dream state is, and then when you look at it, you go, I'm back and here I've got to go back and work again and work hard, harder than most.
Speaker 1: Last thing on this because there I want to do some college football in our second segment and then there are plenty of other jazz things to get to you. But do you know anything about Taylor's family? I mean, will they be here? Because he's a young kid. I don't believe he's married. I know his family is not local. And what you said is so spot on, like and in the moments the trainers aren't there.
Speaker 2: Hard for me to picture him just being alone at that age.
Speaker 8: I would hope, Yeah, you know, I don't can't say for sure who has surrounded him, but I have a feeling family has come calling. And that's a good thing because that that takes care of some of that quote darkness when you know everyone else has gone away on a road trip like the jazz will starting tomorrow, and you can think about him, but you know he's not playing. He's either recovering from surgery, going into surgery, and then the long process of the rehab.
Speaker 7: Man.
Speaker 2: That's he's got a tough task ahead.
Speaker 8: And you hope he's driven, Yeah, and you hope that people that work with him will drive him, even you know, to another level that he may not even know he has.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I hope.
Speaker 1: I mean, if there's any chance he I doubt Taylor listens to sports soccer radio.
Speaker 2: But if you're listening, buddy, we're all behind you, all right.
Speaker 1: I want to get something from both of you on Kyante. And I've been talking about this all week because I don't usually get too concerned about make or miss with rookies and young players and like summer league and stuff. But at this point his career at Baylor, he played in thirty three games. In college, he shot thirty seven percent from the floor in thirty three percent from three. You're one Utah, thirty nine percent from the floor, thirty three percent from three. It's only four games, but this year so far his splits are even worse. At this point, Kyante is twenty six percent from the floor and twenty two percent from three. So we just simply have a basketball player for about two and a half years has shown the inability to simply make shots.
Speaker 2: So you have a front row seat, and I want to give this on both of you.
Speaker 1: Are you reaching a level where you're a little concerned or you just see a young kid trying to learn, uh combination.
Speaker 8: I think what's happened to Kyante is going from a two to a one to run the show. And I think the immense pressure on him is real. Look, this is this is the NBA, and he did have eleven assistant yes, and he's trying to do things without. He's trying to cut back on turnovers as well making better. I'd rather see him concentrate on getting his teammates involved than being so focused on trying to be you know, walking the ball down or making the three or you know, look, it's still I think what Will would say is too is it's early. But also you've got to continue to get your teammates involved and take the best shot. I think the Jazz in these first four games, I always say from my chair and big team, I talked about it to shoot around this morning. The shots look good, there's open space. It's just a matter of the simpleton fact of can you make it and will you make it? Or when does that come? I sense still, you know, this pressure of youth expectations, quick growth. They want to win, they want to prove people wrong. They don't talk about lottery. They go out and know their careers are on the line and they want to develop. That is what I hear echoing through the jazz and on the flights and and shoot arounds. On the road when you get to get to talk to these guys even more so. I mean, they're a positive group, and you know it's they've added a couple of you know, vets to help them with their mindset.
Speaker 2: But Gordon numbers don't lie.
Speaker 8: I think, you know, through four I think after fifteen games for me, maybe twenties a stretch. But if this continues, then yeah, you may have an issue. There's a lot of guys who say, when you're eighteen and nineteen coming out of college, you have to learn how to shoot. I always thought that was just so ridiculous to point out. But in reality, you know, the old four year guys had been through the wars, but no more. It's like you grow up and develop why you're an NBA player, And that wasn't the case during the days of Jerry Sloman.
Speaker 5: I had a long conversation with Jeff Hornisack about shooting and he said I got to ask, Yeah, I figured, and he said, you go through these slumps and you've got to stay positive and he can't start shooting. You got to play your game. But Spence, the numbers you just gave out, that's more than a slump.
Speaker 2: He's never made shots.
Speaker 8: He just hasn't yet as a player, and so he had the one rookie record of ten threes you remember last year, and that was impressive. May have been against Dallas or San Antonio is one of the two teams on the road, but it comes in spurts.
Speaker 2: We're talking about more consistently, and everybody thought.
Speaker 5: After last year that there would be improvement this year and so to see him going in the other direction at this points early yet, but he's probably pressing a little bit.
Speaker 2: You know, I think a lot now the Jazz as a whole.
Speaker 5: I mean, I wanted to ask you guys this because it's always fun to talk with you. But when you look how many points the Jazz are giving up a game, how much does that affect their offense?
Speaker 1: So they were last in the league last year, they're not last where they're twenty third in both points allowed and efficiency, giving.
Speaker 2: Up what almost one hundred and twenty points a game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, they're one of the worst teams in the league defensively this year, but it's not the worst.
Speaker 5: And so Spence, when you were playing, what does that do at the other end? Do you feel like, oh man, we just gave up a basket here or three or something. Now we've got to make it up, you know. And then you start pressing and you get out a sword.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I think it puts a lot of pressure on a team Craig that just doesn't have a ton of offensive firepower right now. And look, teams are selling out to stop Lowry because of course, and Larry, you know, he's going to have to adjust to other teams running two at him, you know, because.
Speaker 2: He's kind of all they have.
Speaker 1: And even though Will often talks about this is not a one man show and Larry's not an isolation guy, I think Lowry's inability to make shots consistently against defensive pressure is spilling over. And then he left with a back is show. I don't know if you have an update for us there in and out of shoot around today, we'll see. I think it's a game time decision. Nothing officially. You haven't checked my phone in the last half hour. But I think he is the centerpiece and everyone comes and attacks. They come in and scrape him. He turns to face the basket or make a roll left or right. It seems like again there's another a third defender who is leaked by and try to swipe the ball out of his hands and cause disruption. There's a lot of short shot clocks right now for the Jazz. Giante's forced some up Lowry has as well, and again I sense panic and Gordon to your question, I think what I would say is that when you have turnovers and you watch teams run out twelve two runs, then you think that immediately that you have to answer that, and so you force shots. And then that ball jumps in no man's land, that your opponent jumps and runs, and all of a sudden in transition, which the Jazz are still trying to find a way to be a good transition defensive team, then you start to get smoked and the head start to tilt, and you got yourself a tough ball game.
Speaker 5: Well, since I'm optimist in the room, and this is true, I mean I always try to look at them.
Speaker 9: I come here only for one reason to be motivated, uplifted, but trying to But even though it makes your job more difficult night after night after night, if this continues the way it has, I agree with us fans.
Speaker 2: I mean this is that's the good news.
Speaker 5: So so for fans fans want the team to win. I get that, but I would say look for improvement. Look for individual and collective improvement, because that's all you really got and if your team loses, then I mean, you don't want to see.
Speaker 1: That, but you kind of do well if you understand the landscape, because look, I don't think anybody down there is under any premonition that this is a piece away from being a contending team. It's going to have to It's going to be a long game, it really is. And we know the deal this year. It's kind of the same as last year. If the pick is outside of the top ten, it goes to a k C and the favors deal. Now look, I chuckle, because at some point that pick has to convey right, but just not this year. With the draft class that's coming in. I mean, you know people that scout full time. It's not just Cooper Flag. They're five or six names they'll give you. And if you can add a really valuable piece that is a legitimate cornerstone at some point, because they only have one, and it's Lowry, who on a championship team is probably a two or maybe even a three. I mean on Boston, he might be the third or fourth best player, but that's what you got right now in marketing. Then a bunch of young players and will end on this. It does seem like the development will continue because for one game Cody steps into the starting lineup, I thought, maybe.
Speaker 8: Go John Philipowski and you look good. You look good. You know, he had twelve points. He's a stretch. He could probably play five. He wants to probably more likely be a four. Like what marketing can do. Stretch a floor, hit the threes, runs the floor. Well, Keusser's had a pretty good start thus far, at least in defensive minds. He's got a couple of offensive games. But you can rebound the hell out.
Speaker 2: Of the ball. So you know what, Gordon, You're right.
Speaker 8: I think that fans who come to games and it's been incredible in the first three home games, this will be four or five to start the season, is that they're still there. They are still engaged, which I applaud. But I think it's the little things. If you're really a basketball aficionado, each guy you pick whoever you want to follow, whether it's Cody, whether it's Keyante, whether it's Flip whomever it may be. Try to look and find the development because it's going to come in small increments, but then one night it's going to start to build. And that's what Justin Zanak and Danny are hoping for. Look, this is a new breed of basketball. It's youth. It's young. My only fear is you develop them and then are you able to retain them?
Speaker 5: Right one piece before you retain them, Bowler, you have to if you're trying. Everyone always talks about winning culture, right, you got to develop I'm winning culture and hold on to it. Can you keep that when you're losing.
Speaker 8: That's one of the biggest challenges and that's where Will Hardy I think makes such a huge impact with his team. He is uber positive, at least in front of the media and when I'm watching on the floor. He understands the big picture. His his job is the developmental part, and he's going to get you know, his kicks. Whenever he sees what the final outcome will be and for the Jazz to pick up the fifth year of his deal, he knows he's got security for that point. And you know in the league that wants to win. Now the Jazz are on the same page knowing that it's a youth movement. They've been more open about it now, which I think is good. Like what Witt finally said too about you know, Isaac Wilson, even though he got the bench, you know, got the hook the other night. I think the fans have to kind of understand what's going on and the guessing game quits, because then you settle in and say, okay, let's watch together and see where this goes.
Speaker 1: Journey of one thousand miles start starts with one step right, all right, we'll do some college football coming up next. Craig Bowler, Jack, Gordon Monson live in studio right here on the ESPN seven hundred Jahs in Action tonight taking on Victor Whenman Yama and the San Antonio Spurs. So we get a little Walker Kessler when Mayama Action. Gordon Monson and Craig Bowler Jack are live in studio.
Speaker 2: All right. Next week is a big week.
Speaker 1: I've always said it's like the preeminent data on our sporting calendar unless the Jazz are in the finals, or we have the Olympics or whatever. It's Utah and it's BYU football, and so let's get into it. I've been talking about this all week, because you guys certainly know better than I do. But I know enough to know that when I was growing up, it was Lavelle and BYU kicked Utah's head in every year, and it took like an Eddie Johnson miracle, Scott Mitchell miracle at one point to get all win. From time to time, Ronnie Mack rolls in. He kind of evens the playing field. Then Kyle takes over. Utah football goes to the Pac twelve. Obviously, there's the urban pit stop that we had. BYU football goes independent. There's all this ambiguity about their future. Utah for the most part, has kicked their heads in now for a generation fourteen and four, including nine straight, and for a number of years BYU fans have heard YOUTE fans from their Ivory tower call you the little brother. Now BYU's rolling, there ain't no Utah is reeling at four and four. And Gordon will start with you on this one. I think those boys are coming up here for blood next Saturday.
Speaker 5: I think they will, and they seem to be capable of extracting that blood. But in this rivalry situation, you never know. I look at them like this. Okay, if Utah plays against BYU at its lower level, it's going to get smoked. But if it plays its best and BYU plays at its lower level, now you've got a ball game. And now you've got a situation where emotion comes into play, maybe a turnover, a fumble, a pick, and then next thing, you know, hey, this thing could be what nobody expected.
Speaker 2: And we've seen it of surprises in college football this year. To not be overly shocked if that were to happen. Is BYU the better team.
Speaker 5: They certainly look to be the better team, and that there is a collectiveness in provo right now.
Speaker 2: It is rare. I haven't seen it a whole lot down there. Yeah, guys in the last decade or so. Swagger, it's a swagger.
Speaker 5: But it's a it's kind of a feeling of Hey, this is this is for real. This is my brother over here, and I'm playing for him too, not just for myself. And so when you get that going and Colonie's feeding off that right now, you listen in to their huddles and what they say, and it's all about, man, we got this, We're gonna do this, And that's a positive vibe and they're pretty damn good too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Craig, You've called a lot of rivalry games locally and nationally. Things can get weird. Oh, they get weird, There's no doubt. But at this point it y use a slight favorite in Vegas. It feels like most of the momentum is down. So yeah, I would think as you, I always laugh when no one would ever you know, respond to them as by us, that team. It's just just that team down down down south Urban. Yeah, never would call them. You know, the BYU Cougars.
Speaker 2: Was at Ohio State Michigan was the team up north.
Speaker 7: Up north.
Speaker 8: Yeah, you know, I think this game right now on paper and the way the mental side of this, because again I'm we're talking mental today right For some reason Taylor and and his his response to his injury, this goes the same way for my book.
Speaker 2: I mean, where where is Utah?
Speaker 8: They've already been beaten twice at Rice Cycle Stadium, right, And I always think in rivalry games that the home field is where it's at.
Speaker 2: That's the juice.
Speaker 8: You know, where are the fans and are they going to bring juice that can help elevate any home team in a rivalry game like that, I'm not I'm not sure if I'm feeling that around town right now. I just drove in and here comes a pickup truck with Utah sucks BUYU roles, you know, rules on those big flag stuff on the back of a one point fifty whatever it was, and I thought, wow, man, it's it's it's starting. Yeah, it's starting. But you know, Spencer Tay, I love rivalry games because you just said it. There is still the unpredictability of the emotion of the moment because these guys have grown up here. Some they played against each other in some ways. Uh, some don't care because they don't know Utah, or they're from the Islands, or they're from you know, back east, so you know, they call it the Holy War, the rivalry Red and Blue. I just think, let's go play good football. But Utah is not in a good mindset right now. And who is the quarterback on this on this incredible, incredible rivalry day, uh for for the University of Utah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no one knows Gordon because we're back to now it's Brandon Rose and Isaac Wilson splitting the reps with the ones, which I never think is a good thing effort eating up to next Saturday. Although Kyle did say that Isaac has been hurt. Maybe maybe there's something there because he there were moments early on Baylor, Utah State, Oklahoma State, and Stillwater and even though Okay State sucks and we know that now, Isaac hasn't looked the same since then, So maybe he's been dinged up in a way we didn't know.
Speaker 5: So it gets back to the question that Kyle talked about with Cam Rising is is Isaac Wilson at eighty five percent better than a rose at one hundred percent? Yeah, you know, and you get into this guessing game, and of course Kyle loves living in that space because he thinks it gives him such an advantage against the opponent. But it's obvious that Kyle thinks that Isaac Wilson.
Speaker 2: Is the better quarterback.
Speaker 5: So if he's able to go and he's able to overcome whatever whatever problem he has, then it would be he would be the guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but the.
Speaker 5: Mystery is is he at eighty five, is he at eighty is he at seventy five or is he ninety five? We don't really know, And that adding to everything else that the Uths have been facing. I mean, when you drop four straight, Utah football is not used to that, No, not at all, and so how do you react. They are used to overcoming adversity. We've seen that in past seasons where they really came back strong, but that adversity never translated into four straight losses.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I think this year to Craig's point, because I've heard from five different people that have sold their tickets that are season ticket alders up there, like i don't want to be in the stadium because I'm afraid BYU's gonna thump us there. There's like this collective weight around Ute football and the fan base right now. And it's not just losing four straight. And I've said this all week. I get a lot of things wrong. I don't think I've ever been as wrong as I've been about a team as I was about Utah Brothers.
Speaker 2: I thought was going to be healthy.
Speaker 8: Sure, look who was all everyone in this state was pounding their chess Utah fans in the middle of August thinking that this thing was going to be potentially a playoff game at rise Ecle Stadium, and you could maybe smell a little bit more than that. Right with the way the new playoff system is, and no one talked about byu oh man, the poor guys Downstad, maybe they get to a ball, maybe four wins, you know, if they're lucky, they could maybe get this the Mickey Mouse Bowl.
Speaker 2: I mean that was kind of the mentality by everybody. And they have just run the table.
Speaker 8: I said this a week or two ago. They're still the most opportunistic football team. I think in college football. Balls bounce their way, they make hits. They're more physical, they're faster and more athletic than I think most people thought for sure.
Speaker 1: Honestly, they didn't make any additions in the transfer report that they made some but not many.
Speaker 2: I mean, they relied on growthrom.
Speaker 8: I'm impressed with speed, physicality, and the athleticism that Klannie has right now.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 8: Is that because they're all is one? You know, teams get on roles because of You can't explain it, but man, inside that huddle, there are eyeballs looking around going we got this and we're gonna do it. Well, look at when it's real. It's that that's a real deal in sport.
Speaker 5: Look at the receiving corps, Look at that that's a that is a really talented group.
Speaker 1: Keana Hill can't even get a target because he's got four dudes in front of him.
Speaker 5: And they got other guys coming. It's it's just uh, I tell you. It gets back to this, and people think it's hocus pocus. No, it's real. When you have a feeling on your team that you can win, that you deserve to win. Watch what the coaches say to the b YU players before every game.
Speaker 2: What do they say.
Speaker 5: They say, you've worked your off and you deserve to win this game. And they believe it and they did put the work in. I mean, how else that's undeniable?
Speaker 8: Since I hear I think here's another key to this this rivalry game. Look, Utah's defense can only do so much, and they have played down after down after down and trying to put the stops on teams when Utah's offense was just butttering and Wilson was trying to understand who he was when Cam went down. They cannot just save this team. There has to be something and Andy's gone now, so we're you know, what.
Speaker 7: Is the new?
Speaker 8: Is there going to be a new offens this offensive scheme that works better for Wilson and when this game is played, not a lot of time to implement it. But I'm just saying, so many things have changed, and the defense can't stay on the field all night, and they've been injured.
Speaker 5: I mean, and I'm not going to make excuses for the Utah defense, but they've had those defensive linemen who have been absent certain times. So will they all be able to come back and play against be Well.
Speaker 2: Well not by week helps.
Speaker 8: You know, you can get nicks, you know, injuries heel up, especially when you're young. But still I wonder what their mental state is knowing that Cam who really I think had more leadership and love amongst the twenty two and beyond, and the disappointment of his injury, and then the inability of the offense to move without and put a lot of pressure on the defense.
Speaker 1: So the defensive numbers are still pretty pretty good. The overall defensive numbers for Utah football. They're about top three to five in rushing, total, scoring, red zone. They're number one first and third down. They're last in the conference at fumble's recovered. They're second to last in the conference at fumbles force. They're eleventh in sacks.
Speaker 2: So like the things that they typically do well are the things they're not doing this year at all. And Kyle always talks about winning the turnover battle, pressure in the.
Speaker 8: Quarterback, putting the offense in a better position right with the defense, with the fumble recoveries, the force fumbles or a very important I int. But if they don't get to Jake, Jake has shown everybody if he has time, he's gonna run, which he does well, or he's gonna find one of his five like awesome whiteouts.
Speaker 2: That to me is kind of where the game lies. Can Utah it to Jake?
Speaker 1: Can they kind of flip the script with their inability to get the quarterback so far?
Speaker 5: And when you of Utah football's identity, the word that comes to mind is physicality, right, And so when you're not forcing fumbles, where do fumbles come from? Every once in a while you'll see someone lose the handle and drop it. But oftentimes they get hit and they get hard and the ball pops loose, or.
Speaker 8: They come in and make the extra grab. They swarm the runner or the receiver and they are grabbing and pulling at the old pickskin. And that's what Utah has been known to do too special teams really hasn't made a pop, which has also been kind of a factor for Wit during his time up at the U. So, yeah, it's it's been a rough year, one that nobody expected. Right, But does it change? Does it change against BYU? I'll say it, I'll say it. I'll say it twice now because I believe it. If BYU comes in and plays sloppy football, they can be beat. And if Utah comes in and plays at the high, higher level of.
Speaker 5: What it's capable of doing. Let's say it the way it is, this team is underperformed. Would you agree? Would you talk?
Speaker 2: Yes? I mean, I mean, I'm not talking schematically.
Speaker 5: I'm talking they have too much talent to lose four straight games. And I don't care if Cam Rising is playing or not. This team has not risen to the occasion. And that's where he used to seeing out of Utah football. But I'm so can they rise on this next Saturday? Well, and by the way, the games, I.
Speaker 2: Was waiting for it, I got it. I was waiting for Gordon to get upsets. So I assume you will not be there. Well, no, I don't know. Bring a blank. I'm not saying so much sad because yeah, bull soup chocolate, but it just seems like it.
Speaker 5: Look, if Utah comes prepared and can shed this whole sort of a shadow that it's carrying with itself, is it capable of beating BYU only if b YU betrays itself.
Speaker 1: So about the team concept you were saying with breaking me young, listen to this man, Eight different players have sacks. I'll eleven different players have an interception. Seventeen different players have scored a touchdown. That's fascinating, that's mind blowing. It is seventeen seventeen players now they've touchdown. It's like seven running backs for a while, right, But I mean, eight different players with a sack is pretty crazy.
Speaker 2: Eleven with a pick is nuts.
Speaker 1: But seventeen different players scoring touchdowns, I mean they're They're playing complimentary football. They're deep top to bottom, and I'm really happy for that coaching staff because they were all up here for a while.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 5: Obviously, offensively they've scored touchdowns. Defensively they've scored touchdowns a bunch, and special teams they score touchdown. Man of how covers it. I don't think anybody on the bench is going to score touchdown. If that happens, I don't think that's allowed. No, I don't think so. But to come out and trip somebody, and your point is well made their Spence, because this is no Fluke.
Speaker 2: But what's happening then in probo is no fluke? This team?
Speaker 7: Yes?
Speaker 2: Did it surprise us?
Speaker 7: All?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 5: And I'm willing to admit that the whole conference, and I've been willing to admit, like you have, Spence, and I was wrong about the youths. I'll say that, but I want to give be why you credit because what they have overcome.
Speaker 2: They've pushed the Bowlder up the hill. That's what I mean.
Speaker 5: They've turned this thing around, and that Bowlder was coming downhill and they've turned it around, and you've got to give them credit for that. They believe in themselves. They're much more talented than we thought they were. And that gets back to that receiving corps. Who Darius Lass or is this guy? I mean, this guy is a talent, He's real talent. But then you have Chase Roberts and you got the other I mean there's there's, like you said, Spencer's five or six of them.
Speaker 8: Spence, I gotta go with this idea too. This is the fan idea that I have. You said something that caught my eye or my ear about five minutes ago. You know three or four fans who are selling their tickets. Where do you think those tickets go to?
Speaker 2: They go straight to b YU fans online.
Speaker 8: Exactly right. You turn red into blue. You you lose your home field advantage if this becomes.
Speaker 2: An epidemic. Yeah, and so that's something to watch. Why you fans afraid they're gonna get beer? Spill them? There's no, there's not Okay, I've been on this for years. Sorry, Okay, so all the b YU fans just real quick, let me have one. I don't just make this point one more time.
Speaker 1: For all the BYU fans are heading up to saw Lake, here's some breaking news. There's not beer in that stadium. They don't sell it. And if you're going to sneak something in, it's not beer. Okay, so maybe you get a little.
Speaker 2: Whiskey port on it, but I promise you're not getting beer. All there is are the tailgates, and there's plenty of that flowing. But that point you're making.
Speaker 5: What happens if BYU comes up to Rice cycles and gets a two or three touchdown lead. Does the home field advantage actually become a disadvantage at that point where your home fans are looking at you.
Speaker 2: Like you suck.
Speaker 1: Oh, they'll start getting boot birds. They've already been bowed up there. They have a couple of times.
Speaker 8: I have the one game that I went to and you were there two spence and I was like, wow, yeah, I mean there was an empty shell feeling because of the high, so much hype, and then the anger I think came into play here.
Speaker 2: Gordo.
Speaker 8: You may have written about this, but you know, fans wanted Cam and when Cam dressed and still didn't play, there was like scratching their heads like why not? You know, well, there's reasons to it. Doctors and you know, potential nil agents or whatever you want to call them. You know, you're they're protecting the health of a player, and it disrupts you know, fans love for a team. But everyone wanted Cam so bad to perform this year, and dot Gunnett got bit again.
Speaker 2: So we've got a four o'clock.
Speaker 1: Danny Knell's at four, so we've got to stay on clock a little bit, which I'm horrible at but I wanted to get this from both of you because if your coach with I mean, there's nothing you can do over the final four games of the season to show everybody that you are the team that we thought that you were. That's off the table. They're not in the mix for the Big Twelve championship. But if you can have one moment against buy U, you are remembered in this community forever.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 1: So if you're Kyle, what's your message to your players leading up to this game? Because if you do spoil their perfect season, if you do thump them a little bit in a way nobody's expecting. None of us around here are going to say, oh, yes, we thought they had that in them, because they've already shown that they fell short of expectations. But if they're able to do that, what's the conversation around these players and this team.
Speaker 5: Well, Kyle Whittingham news flash, first of all, hates playing BYU, doesn't like this game. But if he's going to play it, believe me, he's going to pour everything he has into those utes, coming out and kicking the Cougars.
Speaker 2: But and I you know, everyone.
Speaker 5: Knows Kyle played at BYU, But there's enough bad blood there and not with Kilany.
Speaker 2: Because those guys, those guys are tight, right, But.
Speaker 5: Kyle wants to beat this team in the worst way.
Speaker 2: So I'll say it this way.
Speaker 5: We will see the best Utah has against BYU, more than any other.
Speaker 2: Opponent left on the schedule.
Speaker 5: If they are capable of hanging in there with BYU, then then we'll see that truth. But if they, I guess what I'm saying is this will be their best effort for the rest of the season that Saturday night.
Speaker 2: If they don't, they can't. What do you think that's a great point real quick.
Speaker 8: I think will make this their like bowl game and try to preach that throughout the week. I think they have to strike first. You cannot afford turnovers because opportunistic BYU will be right there to say hello and make you pay. If you want to sell Isaac Wilson to the fans for next year, it's that one moment where he maybe lofts a nice thirty two yard touchdown pass over the middle and Keify runs it in for six and that's it. That would be the Eddie Johnson type moment or Scottie Mitchell doing his work. That's what would be in a sense of like we just derailed by U season, and we just propelled ourselves on a positive note for next year. That's what I think they're trying. They will try to accomplish on.
Speaker 1: That game, and it would give the fans something to at least hold on to, because right now this is a fan base that is not feeling love. Great to see you, guys. We'll do it again next week. Rivalry week will be next week. We'll see that, all right, All right, now that's that smark. He has a smark.
Speaker 2: We're happy happy.
Speaker 8: Hey, look, I know how you are to Halloween. Don't scare the kids. That's not possible.
Speaker 2: Should I give out an ice cream tonight?
Speaker 5: Either?
Speaker 2: Melts? We've been over but see that's what he likes.
Speaker 1: Melt Hey kid, here, full sized candy bars up where you're at in the cove. People expect the full sized candy bars and maybe a twenty wrapped around.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: And all of a sudden, I'm feeling all this pressure like I'm going up against b YU next week or something like that.
Speaker 2: I think a.
Speaker 6: Finger.
Speaker 8: Yes, good to see you, come back and see me again, Okay.
Speaker 2: I'll say that. One last question. One last question, is one full size the equal of two. Not where you live. No people are expecting from size up in the cove. You know it. I'll tell this story real quick. I know you want to stay on. You're a goead. You're good.
Speaker 5: Talk to Dennis Lindseay. He didn't remember Dennis co he bought a house on a street. I almost bought a house. Here we go and.
Speaker 2: Was gobert in the backyard to build Hi a guest house.
Speaker 8: Is your.
Speaker 2: You can live over here right behind?
Speaker 5: No, there was a there was a house on this street. And I went to the neighbor's house, knocked on the and I said, and this woman answered the door, who was all right? And Lisa suddenly didn't want that house anymore? But we joke about that. But I later Dennis Lindsay moved in on that He moved like right across the street from the house I almost bought. And he said that on Halloween they gave out like twelve hundred candy bars.
Speaker 2: WoT are you procured for that? Well, I'm sure, Lisa is. You're not going to throw in a life saver, are you. Now?
Speaker 5: This is what happens at a certain time when that bag gets empty. Then the lights go out and the doors are locked. Oh man, people expect more.
Speaker 2: From you, Gordon, and the windows get soaked. Looks like I better go get some full size I'm not sure we have them. I was gonna say, you need to get to the store. Great to see you guys, will see you next week. All right, Thank care, Creig Butler Jack here, I'm on the call.
Speaker 1: Tonight is Victor Wimbanyam and the San Antonio Spurs are in town. Let me tell you about Gordon Monson's favorite distillery. It's clear Water Distilling. The only distillery in Utah County open on Sunday is Great Spirits.
Speaker 2: They've got a tasting room.
Speaker 1: They've got their limited release Wednesday whiskey out right now. Check out the Scandalus. It's a grown up version of the Cinnamon Whiskey. They are VIP Tailgate Spirits provider, so check out our tailgate and then you can schedule a tasting at their facility. Try the Scandalus, try the Josephine or the Renee.
Speaker 2: You can buy their spear.
Speaker 1: It's in State liquor stores online, or take a trip to their distillery. Check out more information at Clearwaterdisdilling.
Speaker 2: Dot com.
Speaker 1: They're located at five sixty four West, seven hundred South and Pleasant Grove.
Speaker 2: Danny Canell is next right here. All right, it's a bye week for both Utah.
Speaker 1: And BYU, second time this year that it's happened.
Speaker 2: But they play each other next Saturday.
Speaker 1: So a lot of exciting college football here locally and certainly nationally. Always a pleasure to welcome in my next guest, Danny Canell. Brought to you by bet Online. Check bet online dot ag for updated college football Playoff Conference, Heisman and Week ten lines DK.
Speaker 2: Happy Thursday, brother, how are you doing?
Speaker 10: Happy Thursday?
Speaker 2: Spence.
Speaker 10: I don't know if you caught the intro my walk up song, if you will, So that was a little doors by request. This is the end, the end, my only friend, the end. And I don't know if you saw the movie The Doors of course about the story and with Val Kilmer played Jim Morrison. So that's a song that's like for the teams out there now my.
Speaker 11: Team or to State seminoles are like the prime.
Speaker 10: Example for that one when you're just lost in the desert, you're stumbling around, tripping on some sort of acid and you just they're searching for the meaning of life and you just want it to be over like That's what I feel like is for my fan base, and maybe you talk ever late after the expectations, they came in and I thought they would too. I think they're searching for answers all over the place. You know, the seasons come up. It's the end for Cam Rising, I think there with the injury that ended his season yet again. So it's just like that we're kind of commiserating together. And so I felt like the end by the Doors was the perfect song to just stumble around, just lost and dumbfounded with the way the season is unfolded.
Speaker 2: That is very well said.
Speaker 1: And just so you know, I was hoping my producer was going to play the dk in Ny rap when you came on. But I'm glad you chose your walk up song and you just you articulated where we're at perfectly. I guess I'll just follow up. I've been saying all week, Danny and I get a lot wrong. I mean, you know the deal in this busines. You do the best you can to prepare and make educated guesses. Sometimes you're right, sometimes you're wrong. I don't think i've ever been as wrong as I've been this year about this Utah football team. How stund are you that we're sitting here with a four and four team with no shot to win the Big Twelve?
Speaker 10: Oh, I'm shocked for sure. And I was like you, I thought that because I made every single you know, conference champion I picked before the season, and a lot of them. Ab I was waffling on, like, oh, do I pick Clemson or Miami in the ACC? Do I pick Ohio State or Oregon in the Big Ten? But the Big Twelve, I said, I felt most confident, without hesitation, it's going to be Utah. Now I would have said, also, now, I didn't think this. I you know, Cam Rising is back, what a difference he makes for that team.
Speaker 11: And if you would have told me that once again he would have injuries.
Speaker 7: And miss most of the season.
Speaker 11: Then I clearly would have changed my pick because that is that.
Speaker 10: Type of loss for that program. So that clearly, you know, has kind of derailed the season for the But once again, I mean that four and four is pretty surprising, and the fact that they didn't have, you know, maybe a better supporting cast for Isaac Wilson and he's still kind of feeling his way around college football as a young starter. That's probably, you know, it's still a little bit surprising. They're not at least like six and two. You know, it's just it's a surprising to see them with this record, even without Cam rising and it's been a I'm sure you know, Utah fans are as bummed as any and surprise that the season is kind of unfolded the way it has.
Speaker 2: One more Utah question.
Speaker 1: Cam He's having surgery this week, Danny, and he does have a I'm laughing as I say this. It's not funny that he's heard, but he does have an eighth year of college eligibility. Do you believe there are a lot of people around here that believe that this should just be like a good marriage that kind of, you know, was drawn out. You hug each other, you say thanks for the memories, you walk, you know, you kind of walk away from each other. But what do you make of the potential of Cameron coming back maybe for one more year?
Speaker 10: I kind of I would, I must be honest with you. I kind of side with the fans and say, you know what, we'll wish you the best of luck, you know, good luck somewhere else. You know, go get some nil money somewhere else. But we've given you opportunity after opportunity, and we can't wait for the future of our program for another season.
Speaker 11: Because think of what it does to the recruiting.
Speaker 10: Process, right, you know, either the portal or the high school ranks, Like, how are you going to be able to get you know, another quality quarterback to come in there knowing that if cam Risen's coming back, you probably have zero chance to play. And we're talking about a quarterback who's missed the majority of the last two seasons. There's no guarantee that if he does come back, if he's going to be healthy enough to you know, to keep to be healthy to start for twelve games with college football season. So my Hunts tells me I have no inside intel. I just almost feel like that's what the Utah coaching staff would kind of want as well. Like in college football there I we're going in this direction work for seeing seventh or eight year players. Miami has a tight end down and you know, for the Hurricanes that's in his year of eligibility. It's getting a little bit ridiculous. At some point, I think you just got to say it's time, and I feel like that's what both sides will do. I think cam Rising might want to go try his hands somewhere else, maybe a fresh.
Speaker 11: You know, change of scenery.
Speaker 10: But I also think Utah would probably take the same angle, be like, we've really appreciated you putting your body on the line for us. But I think it's best in both interests, you know, best both parties interest if we both go in different directions.
Speaker 1: So I think you'll be really good to provide some context here because you reference Isaac. Isaac is eighteen years old. He enrolled in April. You had the opportunity and as a Knicks fan in the nineties, Charlie Ward is my guy. You had the opportunity as a freshman to watch potentially the best quarterback in college football, and their plan was for Isaac to watch camera and then potentially take over. How hard is it, as someone who's never done this before at the age of eighteen, to be tasked with leading a team that was one of the favorites to win the Big Twelve.
Speaker 7: It's so hard.
Speaker 10: And we you know, we we I say we, I said, you know, analysts, football personalities, fan bases, we put so much pressure on young players to come in produce right away, and it's really ridiculous to think that, you know, a true freshman could come in and contribute and be somebody who can lead your team, you know, to a twelfth title or championship game, and you're just gonna see a lot of mistakes that are made.
Speaker 7: That's totally normal.
Speaker 10: And yet we treat these young players like, oh my gosh, this kid's not going to be as good as we thought, or you know, and I know there's a connection with his brother, and his brother's career didn't pan out in the NFL, so there's all here goes another Wilson that's going to be a bust. It's so much pressure and it's not fair, but it's the very harsh reality of life in you know, college football today. And you know what's interesting is, you know, talking about Cam Rising and when he come back, if he comes back, are you sure that Isaac would come back?
Speaker 7: You know, does he want to?
Speaker 11: You know now that he's got a little taste of playing.
Speaker 10: And he is developing and he is hopefully getting better and better each week, and he's made some of these freshman mistakes you might lose him in the portal. Some of the other you know, schools see a flash and say, oh, this kid is pretty talented. He was pretty sought after guy. Maybe we can go get him.
Speaker 7: It might make it.
Speaker 10: Harder to keep Isaac Wilson if cam Risen came back. So there's a lot that goes into it, but.
Speaker 11: It is man.
Speaker 10: I was a player who was completely in over my head. I mean I was making sure I got the snap and went the right way on handoffs to.
Speaker 7: Make sure the run was going the right way.
Speaker 10: And now you talk about quarterbacks who have so much on their plate at the line of scrimmage, running systems that are way more complex, facing defensive coordinators that are gonna.
Speaker 7: Throw a lot more at you.
Speaker 10: It's so hard, and yet we have such high expectations. It's really not fair to younger players that are thrust into action.
Speaker 2: Is it true?
Speaker 1: I need to fact check here. Is it true that you were the backup to Charlie Ward? And then the other backup was a guy named John Stark.
Speaker 11: So my freshman year, I was a true freshman.
Speaker 7: And I was the backup.
Speaker 10: And then my sophomore year, John Stark came in and he was the like the third string, but we would swap in and out some time late game situations because they want us both to get experienced while then we would compete for the job the spring after that sophomore year.
Speaker 11: So yeah, he was on the team with us.
Speaker 7: John Stark, yeah, for sure.
Speaker 2: Was the tight end name.
Speaker 1: Charles Oakley like, this is wild to me that we have all these ninety Nick references on one team.
Speaker 11: That's right.
Speaker 7: I forgot.
Speaker 10: I was wondering where you were going at I'm like, how the heck does he know John Stark? But yes, if you looked at the roster, that is pretty wild. And the Knicks connection, especially where Charlie ended up and of course had a great career.
Speaker 11: How about this for a Knicks connection.
Speaker 10: One of my golfing buddies who I golf with almost once a week is Greg Anthony, former UNLV running rep and New York Nick who's a great guy and a pretty good golfer.
Speaker 11: Every once in a while he takes them money, which I'm.
Speaker 7: Not too happy about.
Speaker 1: I know, Greg, please tell him I said hello next time you GOLFO.
Speaker 2: That's awesome, awesome, good guy.
Speaker 1: So, Danny, the irony where we find ourselves here in States. I thought Utah would have a high powered offense. I thought they'd have a physical, dominant defense. I thought they'd be dialed in on special teams. I thought the stadium wo'd be going crazy. I thought they'd be in the mix to win the Big Twelve. Well, all that's happening about forty miles south as the crow flies. What do you make of this undefeated BYU Cougar team.
Speaker 10: It's been awesome, What a great story. And you know, I love both of the coaches in this matchup. Like Kyle Winningham, I can't say enough how.
Speaker 11: Much I respect him and the job he's done in Utah.
Speaker 10: In Colonie, Sataki at BYU, I would say.
Speaker 7: The same thing.
Speaker 10: He's one of the more liked, well liked, well respected coaches in college football. And what's crazy, it's how we've seen this role reversal just in the course of the season. Because, as you mentioned, Utah was the heavy favorite BYU. I think their win total was probably four and a half, like very low expectations with them coming into the Big Twelve. And you know last year was a little bit bumpy, but no one saw the year that Jake retslaf having and he's playing great football as the quarterback. Who's this incredible story, which you know it's starting to take root across college football recognizing a Jewish player playing at a Mormon school. It's been a ton of fun. But what I wanted people to know is how what.
Speaker 7: A good football team this is.
Speaker 10: And people can keep doubting them, keep doubting them, but they keep proven the critics wrong. They creep keep proving the oddsmakers wrong, like they did last week when it closed and they were an underdog at UCF, and they go out there and pretty much spank them and run them off the field so much that UCF is firing people and you know, switching play callers. This BYU team has one of the better resumes in the whole country as far as games they've won. And I wouldn't be surprised at all if they're one of the teams at the end it's playing for the Big twelve championship?
Speaker 1: Am I seeing on the DK Top ten? You have BYU at four right now?
Speaker 10: Absolutely if you look at their strength of records. So now the other thing.
Speaker 7: Too is my top twelve.
Speaker 10: I like to do it the way I think it should be done. Where it is not forward looking. It's not a power ranking.
Speaker 11: It's not who do you think is going to be there at.
Speaker 10: The end, it's who deserves to be in the top twelve right now. And when you look at BYU schedule through this part of the season, we're at.
Speaker 11: Seven and eight games.
Speaker 10: We only have one more month of the season left. When you've play and beaten this many teams, to me, it means you're one of the best teams in the country. And I know, we get cute with, well, this team has a good loss, and Notre Dame fans are mad at me because their win against A and M was better than any BYU you know win, And I'm like, well, what about Notre Dame's loss they lost to Northern Illinois. That's something that BYU hasn't done to anybody. So I want to make sure they get the credit they deserve for winning games on the football field. And if they do, I think they'll finally get respect from the College Football Selection Committee from other people that have them a little bit lower and they, you know, kind of doubt them and say, well, you know, let's see, because Georgia still looks really good and George's team that's a traditional blue blood. And same thing with Alabama with two losses, Well they have two good losses. I get so tired of hearing that garbage. Show me a team that learns and finds out ways to win, and I'll put them up there at the top of the rankings where they belong.
Speaker 1: So talk to me about the dynamic Danny of a rivalry game, which is where we find ourselves here next week with BYU rolling in a salt lake. I believe last night BYU is still a slight favorite. And your guy that played in an era where FSU Miami was like the biggest rivalry you could find. And that was when I grew up learning to love college football and ultimately for Utah. And you know the deal. If you have if you have the ability to rise up and be great in one moment against your rival, you will be remembered in the community forever, even if you're playing for a team that has not lived up to expectations.
Speaker 2: And we've seen this game get weird so many times.
Speaker 1: So Brigham Young rolls up here undefeated Utah reeling any thoughts on what we could see next Saturday.
Speaker 10: Totally Spence, and you nailed it the one thing I never was in very and I'm very thankful for this. And we had two rivals because we had Miami and we had Florida, and they were both in the state. And there was a saying that said, the National Championship runs through the state of Florida, because there was a really good chance one of the three schools was going to be playing in the National Championship Game once the season ended. But they always met more and most most of the time it met. Our season was either going to be a championship season or it was going to fall short of those expectations. What I had never experienced was what Utah is experiencing now, where really what they're playing for is.
Speaker 7: The role of spoiler, right, and they would love.
Speaker 10: Nothing more than to ruin by us great storybook season. And the thing, the other thing that really adds some fuel to the fire is that a lot of these players, you know, some of them grew up playing against each other, whether it was in high school or seven on seven leagues. They're recruited by the same schools, you know, they run in the same circles, and now more than ever, they get to know each other because of social media. Because you just you cross each other's paths and you develop relationships. So it's almost like playing against some of your boys sometimes. But those were some of the fiercest matchups you could have. I played with guys that I played against in high school, and while while I loved them and respect them, I hated them and the fact that they were represented another school and their colors, and I would do anything I could to ruin their season and knock them out of a champimpionship game. And Utah's in that role now where yes, the season feels like they're not going to get the expectations, they're not going to reach the goals. They probably said at the beginning of the season. Well, the next best thing you can do is salvage a season with the win against a rival like BYU playing at home. You know what it means, and you are one thousand percent right Spence when you say these are the games that fans remember ten twenty thirty years from now, Like, no one comes up to me and says, oh, I remember the game against Wake when you guys scored seventy points. No, they say, oh, wait, you were in one of the wide right games. And I was like yep, or you were in the choke a dope when you guys came back thirty one to three. Those are the games that fans remember all the time.
Speaker 7: They're never going to remember some.
Speaker 10: Of those regular season games that don't that you're just conference games. They remember the rivalry games like this one.
Speaker 1: So how many teams, Danny, do you believe still have a legitimate shot to win the Big twelve?
Speaker 7: Oh? Man?
Speaker 10: Uh, I think there's probably five, right, and they all start to play each other here down the stretch. Mean, it's kind of way the round robin, you know, works with that style. Because you've got BYU, You've got Iowa State, You've got Kansas State. There's three, and then there's Colorado, right, that's right there, that's up towards the top.
Speaker 7: Who am I missing?
Speaker 1: There's got TCU, Texas Tech, Cincinnati, West Virginia all three and two.
Speaker 7: So maybe it's just four.
Speaker 10: Maybe it's just those four, and I think Colorado's right there on the outside, you know, needs a little bit of help, but I do. I probably leaned for the favorites to be BYU and Iowa State, Like those two are the two you know that kind of you know have impressed me the most, have been able to win this thing and take it down the home stretch. So I think it's probably a four team race, with Colorado looking on the outside a.
Speaker 7: Little bit in.
Speaker 10: They've been a great story and Dion's turned that thing around and made them, you know, a contender. But yeah, I'd say it's probably a four team race.
Speaker 1: Is there a way that this conference gets two teams in or does it feel like it's a one, big, big big league.
Speaker 7: We have to see what happens.
Speaker 10: An unfortunate reality, and this is what I can't stand is that, you know, the big ten in the SEC are the super conferences. They've got the most money, they've got the biggest brands, and they're probably going to by default because of all those factors, get more teams into the college football playoffs. So like, if you if you put in two Big twelve teams, you're probably gonna have to take out one of those Big ten or SEC teams and probably.
Speaker 7: One of those SEC teams.
Speaker 10: Like you've got Bama and LSU playing this weekend, to you know, two loss teams going to to toe to toe, I think they both should be out. Like I think two losses especially when you don't have any real, you know, big wins, like LSU is really lacking the signature win. At least Bama has the Georgia win they can hang their hat on. But I think those two losses should put you on the outside. But still people have them up there, you know, in the top twelve vicinity where they could be within striking distance if one of them wins out, and like, that's what concerns me is they would take a two loss SEC team, oh, a one loss Big twelve.
Speaker 11: Team, and then the ACC I still think has two teams.
Speaker 10: That are going to get in, and then you've got three or four from the Big ten, and then you've also going to get the Group of five team. And so the spots just started getting taken up, and that sucks a lot of air out of and unfortunately, I think the perception of the Big twelve has to, you know, start to rise, and they have to change it by getting some non conference wins. And I just don't know if there's been enough signature wins for the conference to get across the board for them to get in two.
Speaker 11: Teams, but I would love to see it, you know.
Speaker 10: I just think there's gonna be some carnage at the end, and the champion, the Big twelve champion, is probably gonna have one loss, maybe two at them when it's all said and done, so'll probably just get one in. But there's still a month of football left and it's been a wacky year. We'll see if they could possibly sneak in two.
Speaker 1: Before I set you loose, I gotta kick the tires, not to rub salt in the wound on just exactly what's happened in Tallahassee. I mean, it's been rough up here, but Florida State and it.
Speaker 7: Continues trade dispense.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know, seriously, but at one in seven, we're all shocked.
Speaker 2: Is this it's a coaching thing? Is it a personnel thing?
Speaker 7: Like?
Speaker 2: How has this gone so poorly?
Speaker 10: It has been the hardest, most disappointing season, and that I can remember. You know, since I played at Florida State, there have been bad seasons, like we've lost to FCS programs, we've been a five win football team. But the thing that makes it sting the worst is those expectations coming into the season, the fact that I thought they could contend for an ACEC championship. The fact that the coaching staff thought they had the players in place to win an ACC championship and make a playoff run, and it's just completely derailed. I think it's a combination of misevaluating talent. DJ Leungelay just didn't work, and I was skeptical. I didn't think he was the best, you know, quarterback to go get in the portal, but I thought he would at least provide a floor because of how much experience he had. That wasn't the case. The offensive line they severely misevaluated because they've been atrocious and they've played seven different starting five rotations throughout the season. The defense has been good, and I think the defense has been good enough to win, so I'm not as hard on them, but the offense has just really not been anything like that resembles really an FBS program.
Speaker 11: It's been that bad.
Speaker 10: Then you throw in the mix of when players that don't live and die and breathe and eat and sleep next to each other and you know, are raised in the same program. Like when I went to Florida State my freshman class, we kind of had a bond with each other, and when we became sophomores, and juniors. We developed and we got better together.
Speaker 7: There's a lot of.
Speaker 10: New faces, and I think that's what we're going to see more often times than we think. When you hit that portal and you go portal heavy. When you hit it, yes, it can be awesome and you can run the table like Florida State did last year.
Speaker 7: But when you miss and.
Speaker 10: You start losing games, that foundation can really start to crumble quickly because those guys weren't there to lay the foundation.
Speaker 7: They're just hired mercenaries.
Speaker 10: And when that thing starts coming off the rails, I think you start to see players throwing the towel a little bit and then can really come off the rails, which clearly happened there in Tallahassee.
Speaker 1: What do you want our listeners to know about betonline dot ag Danny, it's your best place for.
Speaker 10: All your sportsbook needs. They got great lines, Heisman odds, they've got playoff odds, all.
Speaker 11: Kind of information on there.
Speaker 10: Make sure you go check it out.
Speaker 7: As you mentioned on the website.
Speaker 2: Thank you, my guy. It's always a pleasure. Have a great weekend.
Speaker 7: Okay, you got a spence. Enjoy the game, all right.
Speaker 1: Danny Kanel Dusty and Danny in the Mornings cover three podcast every single week, and he's brought to you today by our friends at betonline dot AG. Check bet online dot ag for updated college football Playoff, Conference, Heisman and Week ten lines. Danny was a great college quarterback at Florida State. Spent some time in the NFL about seven years with the Giants, the Falcons, and the Denver Broncos. He was drafted by the Brewers out of high school. Ended up playing for the Yankees for a while. If we had more time, I was gonna ask him about the Yankees just peeing down their leg last night.
Speaker 2: My gosh, extremely embarrassing.
Speaker 1: We have Sports Center on in the studio so after we live here and Judge dropping a fly ball that your eight year old.
Speaker 2: Son could have caught. It was just ridiculous. Very happy Halloween to you.
Speaker 1: As the five o'clock hour of the Drive on a Thursday gets rolling right now, looks like we could have a little rain potentially. There are dark clouds here in downtown Salt Lake City, Utah, a little rain this morning, snow up in the mountains. But as it is every day, we appreciate you making us a part of your daily routine, whether you're listening in the radio, whether you're checking out our stream online.
Speaker 2: ESPN seven hundred sports dot com, our.
Speaker 1: Mobile app, or maybe even our podcast too. We appreciate you guys, certainly on this Thursday.
Speaker 2: Be safe out there.
Speaker 1: Don't be the family that leaves the bowl of candy out and says please just take one, because you'll run into eight year olds like a young Spence checkets.
Speaker 2: You will take all of your candy and go home.
Speaker 1: Don't don't do that. Give out the full size candy bars. We had Gordon monson earlier. That's the deal. But most of poortly stays safe.
Speaker 2: Have fun.
Speaker 1: It's been fun to see everybody rolling around in their costumes here and downto in Salt Lake City, Utah.
Speaker 2: Some of the costumes got a little loose.
Speaker 1: I'm not gonna lie, but five o'clock hour The Drive is brought to you by Flanker. Get game day ready at Flanker Kitchen and Sporting Club at the Gateway, your ultimate destination for pro and college football watch parties. Follow at Flanker SLC on socials for exclusive game day specials and more. Reservations can be made at FLANKERSLC dot Com. All Right, the Utah Jazz are at action tonight. They're taking on the San Antonio Spurs. Jazz are actually a slight favorite in this game. At this juncture, the Jazz are the only team in the NBA that has not won.
Speaker 2: A basketball game.
Speaker 1: Of course, there's a lot of attention surrounding the unfortunate news that Taylor Hendrix is going to have his development stunted mightily with a just a super horrific sad leg injury to his looks like it's going to be his ankle and his fibula, but he's out for the year. We'll see when the surgery, you know, kind of comes down. I'm told that it hasn't happened yet. They're probably still trying to analyze what's best. But at this point the Spurs do have one win. But San Antonio is not a great team. But it is worth the price of admission. If you've never seen Victor Wembanyama play, I mean, it really is unlike anything I've seen before. You've heard all the analysts talk about it. He is any by any measurable metric, no matter kind of what you rely on.
Speaker 2: Most people believe he's the.
Speaker 1: Best prospect to play NBA basketball since Lebron James, and the best prospect to build an NBA team around, because san Antonio a couple of years ago did the thing that the Jazz did not, and they did the right thing when there was a generational player available.
Speaker 2: Wembenyama is twenty years old.
Speaker 1: He and Taylor HENDRICKX are the very same age, and san Antonio, by going all in on being bad, including trading de Jontay Murray, a twenty five year old All Star, for not much of anything in return, knew that even if it meant you had a slight shot at Wembnyama, you had to go all in on losing games unquote developing young players. Where we heard that, oh this year, that's right from the Jazz, right So I talked about it that season, moving off Murray, they played, they played bizarre lineups. Greg Popovich was like trolling everybody, but their whole ethos That year was when man Yama is so special, we at least want to give ourselves a shot at them. Now, the lottery ads, lottery odds have been flattened. Asked Detroit, there's no guarantee that if you're the worst team in the NBA, you get the worst pick, asked Atlanta, there's a chance that if you're ten, you might move up to one. It does happen from time to time. But ultimately, I don't know that, you know, the the Jazz are doing this intentionally because they would never say it out loud. And as I've said often, I feel like it's a day eight and a dollar short.
Speaker 2: But if they are finally.
Speaker 1: Going about their business, because again, what's the verbiage we hear from the front office, what's the verb what's the verbiage we hear, you know, from the the powers that be, the decision makers.
Speaker 2: This year is going to be all about development, you know, And.
Speaker 1: Essentially that's code in the NBA for hey guys, just so you know, we're going to be really bad this year. And while I do believe the best time to do this would have been two years ago. If you're going to move off Mitchell and go Bear and very smart front office basketball people have decided they didn't want to work for this new iteration or whatever this is. Dennis Lindsay leaves, Quinn Snyder leaves. The time to do this was then, and it did coincide with Wembnyama bursting on everybody's scene as the best young building block that has emerged since Lebron James, and for whatever reason, they didn't. And I've heard a bunch of excuses that don't buy at all. Like I heard somebody say, well, we were trying to tank, but our coach is too good, to which I respond, who coaches the Spurs like there's nothing there? And so the best time to do this would have been two years ago, but the second best time to do it is now. And so if they're doing it intentionally behind the scenes, let me say congratulations, because this is exactly what you need to be doing. I will say this. We had Craig Bowler Jack Gordon Monson live in studio, and Bowler's a pro. You know, he's going to do the deal to the best of his ability, and he's going to make sure that you know, he does a great job. But this is hard on the team. It's hard on the players, it's really hard on the coach. Coaches never want to lose at all. But remember, let's let's let's draw some parallels here, Let's draw some dotted lines, because I can tell you if somebody has been in media for a long time, but it's also been on the team side. What you hear from teams is not the deal. That's why they have communication staffs. That's why they have emergency PR meetings to make sure what make sure what what is our messaging?
Speaker 2: What are we telling the community.
Speaker 1: It's very rare that you get from the team exactly what's going on behind the scenes. So you hear what they say to the media, you hear what they say during interviews, and then you kind of have to do the best you can to connect the dots behind the scenes understand exactly what's going on. It's not a coincidence that they picked up Will Hardy's fifth year about three weeks ago.
Speaker 2: Now, remember this is Will's third year.
Speaker 1: His fourth year option had already been exercised, but they picked up his fifth year option a few weeks ago. There are probably a number of reasons for it, but the timing certainly struck me. It's not something that happens often in pro basketball.
Speaker 2: Reason Number one is.
Speaker 1: Will's very bright and anybody who's ever been around him, and we've had interviews Jeff Van Gundy, coach with Will Hardy USA Basketball Steve Kerr, who said, the Jazz just signed a rising star like it feels to be a consensus that one of very few pieces that you have in place that appeared to be the correct decision. It's your head coach. So number one is you just lock in a guy you like an awful lot. Okay, so that's what they did. But ultimately, if early season returns are any indicator, and I'm going to get here in a moment, because it's not just the losing, it's the way the Jeffs are losing. That says to me, Okay, they have done their due diligence on this upcoming draft class that includes a bevy of prospects that people are very excited about, none the least of which is a young freshman. Not that you need an excuse to watch Duke basketball, because ESPN essentially shows us all of their.
Speaker 2: Games whether we want them or not.
Speaker 1: But if you have a chance to tune in, college basketball can be a rough product to watch. Not gonna lie, but Cooper Flag, the freshman from Duke. You guys have heard the name by you know by now, there's a great piece in the athletic where a writer, an NBA writer that works for the Athletics, spent a couple of weeks with Cooper Flag and his family and talking to a bunch of talent evaluators in scouts and pro basketball. I'm gonna stop short of saying a wem Bunyama gift or a wem Bunyama, you know, infusion of hope, because what prospects like Victor Webbuyama and Lebron James, who are generational, what they do is they change communities.
Speaker 2: They really do. They change cities. We saw with Lebron in Cleveland the positive effect he had on his community, and you will see it in San Antonio because ultimately, guys like that, you don't miss on him, and you don't miss on a chance just to maybe luck into getting them. You just don't.
Speaker 1: It's bad management, it's bad decision making. And I think that's what the Jazz did two years ago. But if Cooper Flagg is thought to be or I mean, look, if you guys, you know, kind of keep up with the polts of NBA basketball and you read about the draft stuff, and my guess is a lot of Jazz fans do your names like Dylan Harper.
Speaker 2: Ron Harper's kid is going to be for Rutgers.
Speaker 1: And by the way, his teammate Ace Bailey, what's going on at Rutgers. By the way, his teammate A's Bailey is also thought to be a generational piece. Nolan Treiori, who's a French international kid, DJ Edgecombe from Baylor, you know, Trey Johnson from Texas, Drake Powell from Carolina, like you hear people. And there's a kid who plays for Al Madrid, Hugo Gonzalez. Liam McNeely, who's a You hear people talk about this draft that if you have one of the top six or seven picks, you're going to potentially have a generationally special player. You did not hear that about the draft last year, which leads me to this draft pick that continues to be floated out there as something that inevitably, at some point will have to convey. Okay, so it's the same deal this year. If it's it's top ten protected. So if the Jazz, you know, if it's out of the top ten, the Jazz have to send that pick to Oklahoma City, which makes me laugh every time, because OKAC might be the best team in the West.
Speaker 2: Nobody's close to Boston.
Speaker 1: OKC might be the best team in the West, but they also are as well positioned to add talent as anyone in the league, including the Jazz, who are not even close to living in the same stratosphere, in the same cul de sac is where OKC finds themselves. San Antonio still in a tremendous position to surround Victor Wiberyam with talent as he ages because of all their draft capital and relatively clean books. Right, but san Antonio has already found the thing that the Jazz are still looking for.
Speaker 2: And I love lowry marketing. We all love lowry marketing.
Speaker 1: If you're heading down to the Jazz game tonight, chances are one of the main reasons you bought your ticket is to watch market and play. I think he's going tonight. He did leave the other night with some back issues. I think Craig said he was a game time decision. So we'll have to see if marketing goes and certainly to be fun to watch Walker Kessler Victor wemen Yama. But my point in the whole thing is a year ago when the draft wasn't great, and the early returns of even the Reshache Kid and some of the high draft picks so far not awesome.
Speaker 2: The question is why didn't you allow the pick to convey Toronto? Did it last year?
Speaker 1: I think it was the pick they had in the Yaka Pearl trade, I think with San Antonio, and it was set to convey, and they did their calculations and they decided to And this is good. This is the thing, you guys know this you watched it last year, is the Jazz started city players here there because they clearly wanted to maintain their draft capital. But at the same time, if the draft last year wasn't going to breed anybody all that special, and you have to convey the pick at some point, why don't you do it in a year that's bad because and look, it does look like the Jazz are going to be in a position to hold on to it because it'll be top ten and maybe hopefully fingers crossed, man, have we earned it in this market to get Lady Luck smiling down upon us in the NBA draft lottery process, maybe you rise up to a top two or three pick. Can we even dream that you get to number one? Well, here's the thing. If the Jazz are really doing because back to the whole dynamic of hearing the front off is tell people what they're doing and then watching the actual proof of concept. Yes, you hear them talk about development, but development is code in pro basketball for we're not going to be very good this year, So please ride with us. And I would say to you, as the fan base and as somebody who cheers for the Jazz just like you do, if this is the plan, embrace it with both arms. Embrace it with open arms, man like if they're finally doing the thing that they should have been doing for the past couple of years. After Quinn and Dennis left and they traded Gobert and Mitchell and Conley and Bogdanovich and Royce and everybody, I mean, they jettison that entire group. And yes, we can go into whether or not the well had run dry. Most people say the answer to that is yes. I still question whether or not that's the case, But regardless, that is the direction that I believe they should have taken right away. If you're going to rebuild, go all in and do what you gotta do to make sure that you can suffer through the pain, because what you don't want is ten straight years of thirty five to forty wins, you know, and then what are you exactly and then what do you have to utilize dad talent? In this market? It has to be draft, it has to be draft, develop and retain. And honestly, sometimes I think that's over hyped about it only being Assault Lake team. Sure, a Salt Lake thing, Golden State essentially, you know they drafted Steph Clay and Draymond. Yes, they added Durant and that was unfair and that will never happen here. But the spine of that team was draft developed, re tain right.
Speaker 2: So bottom line, if.
Speaker 1: This and it does appear that this is going to be a really really long, hard year for Jazz fans, team employees, players, coaches, If the long game does actually shine upon the Jazz the way it shined upon San Antonio two years ago, and the Jazz finally get that Lady luck ball to bounce their way and Cooper Flag is in a Jazz uniform this year or next year, go to eighty two, okay, because this essentially will give you some hope because right now it's a team and it's hard to have a lot.
Speaker 2: Of hope in them.
Speaker 1: The bottom line, so we'll see if you're heading down and enjoy the Victor Wemban Yama show. Like I said, I've never seen anything like him. An excellent song close the show with On a Halloween Thursday.
Speaker 2: All Right, you're still young.
Speaker 1: I know you're an old soul, but you're still a young And when I was a young, Halloween was a night where if you wanted to get kind of weird.
Speaker 2: You could go get kind of weird? Is that on the cards for you this evening?
Speaker 3: Usually I would say so, but it's, you know, a Thursday. We've got football on. It's chilly. I've never been a big Halloween guy, but is I get older and older and older, it's less and less.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I'm gonna go out and see the East and the nephew dress up out.
Speaker 1: In draper, so I'll enjoy that. But yeah, we've got some pro football coming your way. It's the Jets and it is the Texans coming up on the other side. The Jets are a slight favorite. The Texans opened up as the favorite. The Jets are now two point five point favorite. We'll see if throw Rogan can figure it out. On a little Thursday night football, all right, Porter, before we say goodnight, to go get weird.
Speaker 2: On a Halloween Thursday. What comes our way on a Friday show?
Speaker 3: Uloaded Friday Show, Guess each and every segment on a Friday Show. Max Brown talking college football, Howard Beck talking NBA, Zach Harper doubling up on the NBA Daily Assist, Neil Smith talking Utah Hockey Club, Andy Larson going any which way you want to go. So we'll be jam packed on a Friday show and can go in with really any direction.
Speaker 2: It's a great time of year. There's a ton going on.
Speaker 1: It's a bye week for Utah and BYU, but a bevy of gray college football action, Pro football action too this weekend, which starts next with the Jets and the text and special thank you to Pablo mashjo Any Craig Bowler, Jack Gordon Monson, Danny Knell as well if you missed any of it. Website is an option. It's ESPN seven hundred Sports dot com. Make sure to download and you utilize our mobile app to listen to us.
Speaker 2: It's the way I do.
Speaker 1: It's the ESPN seven hundred app that's available in the App Store or the Google play Store. And then for what we do in our space, our podcast page is the way to go.
Speaker 2: It's called The Drive with Spence.
Speaker 1: Check its and you can select exactly what you want to listen to on your time. Subscribe, rate, review, say nice things, give us all the stars, and you will be eternally blessed. He's Porter, I'm Spence saying tonight, stay stafe out there. We'll talk to you on a Friday show right here on ESPN seven hundred