Speaker 1: You know, when you sponsor an African child or a donkey or something, and they send you sort of photos of updates of how that child's going.
Speaker 2: I don't, but I'm familiar with the concept.
Speaker 1: So with you know, with my tax and how it's being spent at the moment, I'd like for at least people to send me an update of, you know, how my tax has been spent. Your tax has purchased five of the lanyards required for this government office, or you have purchased one half of one screw for an aircraft carrier.
Speaker 2: Just come to Harlowe on a Wednesday at like one thirty and I'll show you exactly where it's going. Vapes mostly bapes. Super Strength blogger seems to be quite popular. I think super Strength ciders down.
Speaker 1: Is Kestrel still going?
Speaker 2: You know, I haven't seen what was the what's that one? Is it? Frosty Jacks?
Speaker 1: Frosty Jacks?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that was a classic or a classic.
Speaker 1: Did Book Fast ever make it to Essex?
Speaker 2: No? No, it doesn't really, it doesn't travel. Well, that's that's the trouble. You know. It's like some of the beers you get that you know, they only taste good in the in the country of origin. They don't travel well. And that's like Buckfast. It's it's great there, but it doesn't travel well. And the connoisseurs that that drink it, they know that too.
Speaker 1: Someone is screaming at their radio now. But book Fast actually comes all the way from Devon to Glasgow?
Speaker 2: Does it? Yeah?
Speaker 1: It's made in It's made by monks in Devon?
Speaker 2: Is it really? What are they doing.
Speaker 1: Doing something strange to Glasgow?
Speaker 2: I think, you know, I don't think I've ever had Buckfast.
Speaker 1: You're missing out? Really?
Speaker 2: Are I got given? What's it called magnum?
Speaker 1: Mm hmm?
Speaker 2: Have you had those?
Speaker 1: I'm familiar with the ice cream.
Speaker 2: It's popular with the African community. It's like a tonic wine.
Speaker 1: Is it your other family that we talked about.
Speaker 2: Uh, yeah, Magnum, Magnum tonic. So it is. It is technically a product of Jamaica. I felt like I'd almost been initiated. My brethren turned to me and cracked open a Magnum and passed it to me, and I was like, yeah, say less, fam, I was one of them.
Speaker 1: We don't really get that experience up here. We get Rex and lager Rex and lagers made a comeback, which is it's had a mixed reception, let's say, because some people are glad to see it go.
Speaker 2: You travel about a bit. Is there is there any any local brew that you have that you think, Oh, I'd love if if this was back home.
Speaker 1: No, because I mean I can't remember that the brand of any sort of small stubby lager or anything I've had overseas. Because you know, genuinely sort of quite glad to see that it arrived in a sealed bottle, which means it's a very good chance it hasn't been tampered with or just refilled at the back of the restaurant before it came to you. Yeah, that's you know, that's just the mild relief. And is it is it got sweat of ice coming out side of it. Yeah, that'll be fine.
Speaker 2: So I tried to get one once. That was what was it called? It had a witch on it quin quintine quinnen quinteine beer.
Speaker 1: I don't know, queen beer good for malaria?
Speaker 2: Then ah, yes, it's quintin q u I n t i n e quentin abusing it's a Belgian beer. It's got a witch with a broom on it and it's really good in Belgium, and if you get it in a bottle and take it home, it doesn't taste anywhere near as good. And I don't know why, but it just doesn't. But it's so nice when you're out there, it's so nice. On draft it's yeah, it's really good. And there's a few local ones UK ones that are that are bangers.
Speaker 1: There is a whole art to picking a beer based on what the picture on the label is. You know, it says about six percent and it's got a picture. I quite like, I'll go for that. Please.
Speaker 2: They don't do pictures you like now it all looks like tattoo artists. Years ago, it used to be like goblins and mushrooms and shit that you think, oh, I'm not sure I should even touch that. Actually, the artwork of the of Bb so Bb, the writer I used to write about field sports and whatnot. His artwork is that kind of weird psychedelic kind of trolls and little toadstools and all this kind of like folklory stuff. You think, where am I going to end up? What ditch will I end up? If I do?
Speaker 1: Because I make you feel a bit peculiar, sort of you're not quite sure what's going to happen next. It's sort of comforting but horrifying at the same time. I like that.
Speaker 2: It was a very eighties, eighties nineties thing, wasn't it.
Speaker 1: There's a sort of there's a very interesting aesthetic for an nineteen eighties British Christmas, which is either decorations from the seventies that are still hanging around for a long time or some weird, sort of muted color stuff of the eighties.
Speaker 2: Can we talk about the smell? They all had that smell. I mean, if you're sitting at home, you don't have to have synesthesia to just remember what the Christmas box of the nineties smelt like, Like just that tinsel smell. You know exactly what I'm talking about too. Yeah, I got a tinsel plastic smell that you just go, ah, that's Christmas.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So, as an eagle eared listeners may have noticed, we are down to just two of us for this week because Richard Nigas is.
Speaker 2: Oh, he's gone, He's gone out of whit round the whole way round the villages of Suffolk because SpaceX are ipo ing tomorrow. So he's got, He's got the whole church collection plate, everything, it's all gone in is pro Elon. He's going to get the first rocket out of Suffolk when this whole thing blows over.
Speaker 1: He's actually in West Sussex, which is one of those sort of counties I don't think really exists, or at least it doesn't exist as a workplace, because I've never been to West Sussex and seen anyone at work. Ever, I don't think anyone does. I was in That's a whole county really needed for the first third of the episode.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what about the French. They've had it too good for too long.
Speaker 1: Well, the French is too easy. Yeah, they just watch what they do and make comments on.
Speaker 2: It and take long breaks when they're meant to be in air traffic control.
Speaker 1: A quarter of our country's economy into this one line of forts and defenses. Oh ship, the Germans have gone round it. What we do? What do we do now?
Speaker 2: Fair?
Speaker 1: Fair niche reference anyway back in the room. What have you been up to, mister callum?
Speaker 2: But I've done a lot of fishing, Like my almost my yearly quota of fishing has been filled up in the past seven days.
Speaker 1: It's right a broad license really, shouldn't you?
Speaker 2: Well, I got I got two you have to get so you have to get two now. Yeah, so if you want to fish three rods, you have to get two rod licenses. Outrageous. Well it's not outrageous. I mean it should be like if you want one rod, you should have one rod license, and then you should have three if you want three rod licenses. Not giving the AA any ideas, but like you know, the per rods should be the thing, and then you've got to get another one for your salmon and game. But yeah, I have been fly fishing, so May June time is just a solid time to start fly fishing. Really you've got lots of flies hatching and also carp like to go on the surface, so you can catch carp on the fly. So I went to the River Test and I fished on the River Test, which is probably one of the best rivers maybe in the world.
Speaker 1: Which bit was it the upper Test or there's a middle and the lower isn't there.
Speaker 2: The Lower Test? And I've never fished the lower before?
Speaker 1: Is that below fording Bridge? Is that the one? Is that town that's on like one long Street, which is all cafes and fishing shops.
Speaker 2: Yes, it is below that one. Yeah, it's definitely below that one. Yeah, what's that called stockbridge? So below there the lower test. And the interesting thing about the lower test is a lot of the fish migrate out to sea, spend a long time out in sea, and then come back into the river. So I call they don't stock rainbow trout. But I caught this rainbow trout that was insanely long and it was only sort of like five and a half pounds, but it was an eel surely. Yeah, I know. Basically if you'd have caught it in a commercial fishery, it could have gone more like fifteen twenty pounds because it would have just been absolutely enormous. The length of it was insane and in fast flying water on a on a five or a six weight, can't remember what mine is. Yeah, it went, we went pretty well. And even the trout catching sort of had a three three and a half pound brownie and I caught that on a mayfly. And they called them slob trout because they head down to the head down to the sea or brackish water, eat lots of shrimp and they kind of just look they've become like a strange shape. They're not like, they're not like little wild brownies, They're just a trained shape. One and yeah, but I managed to catch them on the mayfly fly, one on a nymph and one on like this big fly thing that that I just found in the box.
Speaker 1: So are you changing up your flies as the day gets on? Sort of match what would be patching in the evening? Because is it caddice in the evening?
Speaker 2: So I'm not I'm not the pro at this, but basically something.
Speaker 1: Made for magazines and things.
Speaker 2: Not about fly fishing. It's what about cart fishing, which is like you know, peasants stuff and av Yeah, teller bivvy put the TV. So yeah, basically that's it. Mood or one of those toasty makers. How was it? Yeah, Jesus have any microrave motle straight in the So they start as like little wormy little bug things and then they emerge and they come up in the water and then they break out. So the mayfly is obviously the big one and they they emerge, so you fish nim for those when they're not actually hatched. There's certain changes in the water conditions fresh water water temperature, but the mayfly spends three hundred and sixty four days in its sort of little wormy stage, then is a caddice, and then it eventually turns into a mayfly and it lasts one day and then it goes. So it's fishing. I think just all of a sudden, right towards the end of the day, the sun just dropped and come out, and then it just turned on, and there was all these mayflies starting to come down, and you could just see them dipping up and down in the low sun, and they suddenly it just switched on. It's so bizarre to be there and you might spend an hour at the river and there's nothing rising, and then in ten minutes feel a bit of warm sun on your neck, and then you just start seeing all this fly life come alive in the space of ten minutes. So I saw I saw one rise on the corner, quickly turned changed the fly into a mayfly plattern, put it right over the top, and sure enough I had a three pound brown trout, which is pretty cool. It's just, yeah, fly fishing such an interesting art form. I'm far from mastering it. And this is this river as well. Is it's mad because the water is so unbelievably fast, and you put a fly across the river and within some of it, it's like within seconds, it's drifted the whole way down and it's next to you. And you're not allowed to fish downstream. You have to fish upstream. And you've got to try and present these flies and keep them on the surface, but not that let your line swing everything, because if your line swings everything around in the water, it's like dragging the fly across the surface. So you've got to try and present it across and let it stay so it's not it's not being dragged and doesn't look unnatural. Try and make it look as good as possible. And a person that's very, very green at fly fishing, I get the concept. I get the idea. I've got a lot of experience in fishing, but actually doing this stuff, I don't have any experience. So it's really it's a it's a tricky old business. But you know, I caught I caught free on the test in an evening and then and then I caught two on the on the nadder as well, doing pretty similar tactics. Mayfly waiting for waiting for a hatch and then I got annoyed with the mayfly because they've got these great big wings and they sort of spin around and they do all this. They just got well annoying. So I ended up fishing just a tiny little white fly that I like the look of, because it just couldn't be bothered to keep trying to float this fly that kept sinking and being annoying. So whatever. People are like, oh, what did you catch that on? And I'm like, they've got all these names for flies, bully, bugger, dusty miller, you name it. There's just something and I have no idea. I think I know about four different flies, and then my knowledge is gone. Someone will write as something, oh why didn't you try a why don't you try a blue caddice nymph? You're like, no idea, drop me out. I don't know what you're talking about. I'll have to google that. Thank you. Yeah.
Speaker 1: The person who wasn't there looking with a situation where they had no sort of effect on the outcome of it whatsoever, definitely has the right answer for you, though, in terms of what you should have done instead.
Speaker 2: Oh, always, always, Oh they take this one here. I don't think it's that I honestly, don't think it's that big a deal. Like I get you want to match what they're eating. Yeah, but really if it's white while a black barn and a big barn a small one, I mean you can pretty much.
Speaker 1: And the biggest thing is that the fish have to be there in the first place. That is true because all my fishing now is on the coast pretty much, either on the boat or off rocks and off marks on the land and state of tide makes a much bigger difference than the than the gear you're using, or just are they feeding or are they just mooching around being lazy, because that two different, two different events would happen in the same spot.
Speaker 2: So I did actually go bass fishing as well. So everyone hates hates the word sea bass, but you've got to cross qualify it as sea bass, the collect bass in the sea from now and.
Speaker 1: Call it Hampshire trout. Did you.
Speaker 2: I might have done. No, you call them, yeah, you just call them trout, I suppose. But if you say bass, everyone thinks you're Everyone just thinks of like an American large bouth bass.
Speaker 1: Don't they other one? The billy big mouth bond, the toylet on the wall.
Speaker 2: I used to love that. I did that the other day as well, and then someone told me that you should fish for them like you fish for perch. So instead of doing what I usually do, which is like skip lures really high in the water, I fished a thing called a z man chatter bait, which is like what the Americans use.
Speaker 1: This, chatter bait. Yeah, don't google that.
Speaker 2: No, you're thinking of something different.
Speaker 1: Chatter space bait. Uh No, I think it's all one word brilliant. The transcript for this is going to be great on the website now, fantastic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so chatter bait.
Speaker 1: There's a few hundred people trying to google that and finding out we need a VPN in order to see it.
Speaker 2: I remember that back in the day it was great websit before they to be fair, my webcow quality on here doesn't look that far off. This could be. This could be one of those chats.
Speaker 1: I know somebody who worked through their History Masters whilst they were doing webcam stuff as a male, and they paid for sort of some of our living costs on it.
Speaker 2: Well, can we do that while podcasting?
Speaker 1: That's what we do every week anyway, I don't like you anyway, where are we fishing?
Speaker 2: So yeah, I fish for the fish for those like a fish for perch. So I laid it sync to the bottom and I was just dragging it along the bottom, and then all of a sudden you just saw fish picking it up and moving it. But they clearly weren't big enough. They must have been the schoolies just taking the just taking the lure and playing with it. And then I just left it, let them do what they want to do with it. And I kept jigging it and putting a bit of motion into it, and I could see fish were going for it, but they obviously weren't big enough. And then all of a sudden, I get a big pull on the rod and that was it. I had my first keeper. So yeah, I've done a lot of fish cooking in the past in the past week.
Speaker 1: They're quite meaty when you get them in as well, aren't they beast? Particularly you needed quite a bit of space to deal with them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh yeah, they're hard work getting it in and then having to to dispatch while in the kayak.
Speaker 1: Having measured it carefully of course, Well.
Speaker 2: What's the legal limit? Forty five centimeters?
Speaker 1: Right, it's forty two up here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, forty two, which coincidentally happens to be elbow to finger. So if I got a I'm forty, I've got a forty five centimeter elbow to finger. So you do not really need to measure such things. Have If you've ever curious, just measure your forearm to your top of your finger and you probably find that you might have a good guide of whether you can get a keeper or not.
Speaker 1: Well, it depends how tall you are, because your arm length is proportional to your height.
Speaker 2: I know. But also people can have little, tiny stump arms, can't they as well? Little? I mean just like I didn't that wasn't like a particular drug that was available in the years ago.
Speaker 1: Well, if you're ever at a party with other able bodied people and you're you're short, something to do. Get everyone to work out their ape index. So you lie on the floor, arms sort of stretched out like like Jesus on the cross, and measure finger tips to fingertip and then measure that person's height and it should be within a few centimeters. But some people have a longer arm spam than their height, and some people are have a shorter arm span than their height. So it's whether you've got a positive or negative APE index. So some people have sort of orangutan arms and they've got long arms and a short, short body.
Speaker 2: I think I've probably got quite long arms compared to my body.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you are like some of the giant squid, aren't you.
Speaker 2: I know one go who's like mister Tickle. His arms are so unsolifedly long. Every time I I just think, what happened to you?
Speaker 1: We just trying to hold onto two trains at the same time.
Speaker 2: Oh, he's a funny guy.
Speaker 1: I've got a request for help. Yeah, just kick me off this show. No, I've got a request for help amongst our listeners. I am in need of a farm or a farm type place somewhere in South Shropshire, Herefordshire, Warwickshire, top end of Gloucestershire bottom corner was the top end of Oxfordshire, somewhere in that sort of midlands zone. And I need someone with a farm or something similar where I can take some chefs, not sort of posh, high end go out with calum to do stuff type chefs. These are chefs who are is their first hospitality venue that they're working in. This work we're doing with the restaurant. I'm trying not to say the name because it's a fairly big chain up here, but they're all sort of a independently owned.
Speaker 2: It's not Harvester Fat.
Speaker 1: We already train them up here doing some wild food things and outdoor cooking and that kind of thing, and they have a request to do something for their cluster of restaurants that's kind of in the West Midlands or the southern part of the Midlands, so I think sort of Milton Keynes is the furthest south they go. But I need somewhere where I've got a farm bit where they can go and sort of do a farm tour and a walk see where some of that food is coming from, and then we have a bit of a cooking session at the end. So get in touch with me via the podcast or my social media. It's all in the show notes in the links below. If you have somewhere that can help or you know someone that can help. There's some money in it as well as a fee, but I just need it for a couple of days in the summer, really between now and the end of October. Please get in touch with me because I might have promised something I haven't actually got a venue for, so help. Yeah, there's nothing like desperation, you know, to really get a good price negotiated, is there.
Speaker 2: M yeah, I think so that's that's the key to leverage.
Speaker 1: Get really desperate and then hope people will give you a good deal. But no, I could. I could do some help, and it's too It's for a good course, so please get in touch.
Speaker 2: So, mister Pridda, what have you been up to?
Speaker 1: I can mostly walk without a crutch. This is sort of like cripple update every week, isn't it? Just watching me heal a little bit more every time? So I can walk without a crutch now, although I sort of walk and be legged because my my left leg keeps forgetting it's meant to be a leg that sort of goes like a like a wet spaghetti piece every now and again. It's fun.
Speaker 2: You did describe it as a crutchless walk the other day, which I which I found. I've heard of things being crutchless, but never a walk.
Speaker 1: No. The great thing about this is because any kind of movement at all is really sort of expensive in calories an effort. So I'm getting quite ripped at the moment comparatively, because even just walking to the end of the lane is like doing a marathon.
Speaker 2: So I need some of that. I need some of that ripping.
Speaker 1: So I'll be fat again by the game. Fair Well, Oh, I am in possession of one of the new DGI thermal drones. So it's been sent out to me sort of some evaluation and testing and I've got to demonstrate it to a few people. But the technology is a bit scary now. So we've talked about drones before and most people listening or will have seen. You know, you can get four K footage, really good TV quality footage from a drone you can pick up from Albost or Amazon. Well, this new one is DGI. So seeing company do basically all the drones now they this is their thermal imaging one. But it's it's a smaller package. It's not the huge one that's like the size of a small bed. This is it's about one foot by one foot, just under two kilos.
Speaker 2: What do you need do you need to be qualified to fly that?
Speaker 1: For some places? So it's all you need to register in the UK with a CIA, you get your operator ID. But how close to people? How close to roads and built up areas and things like that. You can fly them legally, is dependent on the way to the drone, and so if you have a qualification then you can fly closer to people. But there is a sort of a category out in the middle of nowhere where you can fly. And I know a lot of people have had these on demo for doing deer accounts and deer surveys and sort of seeing. You know, could they be useful for assessing how many deer are in a woodblock or something like that. So a lot of the keepers and the deer stalk is listening will have seen these things. But I just want to talk about it more broadly because the technology is a little bit unnerving. So you put the drone up and you set it to the right mode. It will look at the scene and then tell you, Okay, there are this many vehicles in shot, there are this many people in shot. It'll put a little green arrow on every vehicle and every person and track them around. It'll also tell the difference between a vehicle and a boat or something like that. So it'll tell you stuff out on open water because says it's a track and follow around any one of those things. It will tell you the temperature of things from several hundred meters away, so I can tell read the temperature of your skin within a few degrees from a few hundred meters away. You can also set it to do mapping and do wig points and just set it to fly on a gridntil the battery dies and then return back to base, and it'll do that in most weathers. It's it's pretty scary compare you know, if you go and watch Terminator two or something like that, and you've got the opening scene, or you've got the robots going across the battleground and fighting against the humans. Were at the starting point of that. Now with the technology in the drones, Yeah, so you know, I would say, just aim for the power.
Speaker 2: Pack invading anywhere.
Speaker 1: So for me, well, if they know that the robots are coming to you, that's the thing.
Speaker 2: I'm ever since like nineteen ninety nine, I've been listening to Daft punk and now my best friends are French robot ai so I've been nice to them, so they're not coming for me. I'm one of them until obviously the Final Resistance, well they are doomed.
Speaker 1: They are coming for farmers and people working on the lands. So there are forestry drones of starting to make the news now, which have basically a chainsaw dangling off underneath and they'll cut and process a tree.
Speaker 2: Did you see the news where they gave an ai the ability to grow a tomato and it successfully successfully did the whole robotic side of it and grew food.
Speaker 1: How did it get access to a tomato? Oh?
Speaker 2: No, they gave it access to all these things and it successfully grew food.
Speaker 1: See, that's less impressive. If you just told an AI to grow a tomato and it recruited humans to go and buy things for it to plant it out, that would be more impressive.
Speaker 2: They also gave they gave an ai like a fully autonomous situation where it could it could do whatever it wanted and in the back end it he purposed. It's gpu to mind crypto without telling anybody the.
Speaker 1: AI and crypto, which is our audience favorite things. They love it when they're listening to the country podcast.
Speaker 2: Well, it just proves, it just proves that you know, AI does exactly what.
Speaker 1: It wants, So it's okay, it's not to be trusted. The AI bubble is sort of I reckon bursting by Christmas.
Speaker 2: At this point, I don't wonder what's going to what's what's going to happen.
Speaker 1: Well, the bit of relevance to the rural stuff is now we're now there's a sudden huge demand for data centers, and the Americans are ahead of us in this. But all this information processing needs a data center, which is effectively a very large computer in a shed. You need space for that, U water requirements you have, you have power requirements for these huge things. And the cropping up all over the UK. There's a huge amount about to go into the Central Belt in Scotland. It does seem like a lot of corporations now they've realized they need data centers, have sort of quietly pushed all this climate change thing to one side, and we're going for the building the data center thing instead. The priority seems to have changed now.
Speaker 2: I think that we're a lot of farms will actually turn into data centers in yeah, not that long.
Speaker 1: Although what are we going to eat?
Speaker 2: Only only Germany are noodles and we're just important, of course, all ram and noodles. We'll get them direct from China. China, all right, Koreans, all right, we just get.
Speaker 1: That will never be at war with China.
Speaker 2: Nah, no, be fine, just trust just trust them completely and have zero food security. That seems to be the government thing. Wis wish we'd done politics.
Speaker 1: Politics, crypto and AI. Yeah, they're all the three things that every week we get feedback people saying how much you love us talking about crypto and AI and politics.
Speaker 2: I don't think we haven't done cryptona while.
Speaker 1: No, that's why the reviews have been getting better.
Speaker 2: Oh, well, we're back, We're back. We're so back baby.
Speaker 1: Talking of back, have you seen any of the new season of Clarkson's Farm?
Speaker 2: Oh? I didn't even know it was on.
Speaker 1: Brilliant.
Speaker 2: This is a great segment, you're not the best thing about Clarkson's Farm is something that I can actually watch when you have children present. There's not many things that grown ups can watch that don't have mature content in it, And I say Clarkson's Farm is the closest thing that's actually enjoyable for an adult that is family viewing.
Speaker 1: Yeah that's yeah, that's an interesting observation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I like that. I will watch it. Do you want to spoil some for me?
Speaker 1: No, Well we'll do it. We'll do it when everyone's back together because next week Richard Nigas is coming to Whales and if he survives the well, I think he's actually staying in the local Weatherspoons. He's two years. I've given him, I've given him links to the hotel and I haven't told him where it is. So I think he's staying in the hotel in Riffin, which is the Weatherspoons. So we'll see if he survives that. Have you been to a Weatherspoons with him yet?
Speaker 2: I took him to McDonald's, yes, yes, for cutlery, yeah, took him to a drive for really it was it was a bizarre experience. I think he's although he's quite distant from from the everyday man and quite sheltered in Suffolk, I think he'd handle himself just fine in a Wetherspoons.
Speaker 1: See we've talked about this before, but weatherspoons there's there's always two types. There's flat roof pub or the best pub in town. So it goes, it goes either way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like I couldn't believe when I went to the House of Lords that it was the same as a Wetherspoons, but without sticky carpet. You know, it had the same exactly the same deck or as most Weatherspoons ever been in like pretend grand old paintings. Well actually they are actually grand old paintings. But the our local Wetherspoons recently got shut down for a zero star food hygiene rating.
Speaker 1: Zero is good.
Speaker 2: So often zeros come from so environmental health are not kind to people, and sometimes they give you a zero for like having an oven that's not it was too close to a fridge, so you would think, you know, zero. But this pub got a zero for being absolutely filthy and probably riddle.
Speaker 1: Rats see Weatherspoons. It holds this fascination for me. It was the first pub in a town where I lived, moved to a town, and it's the first pub we used to regularly go to and meet people ins two thousand and one, and it was the Burger and a Pine Nights it Fridays or Thursdays that yeah. And it's just part of this gradual and citification of everything where we had things quite good in the early two thousands and we didn't really know it just graduated. Everything's gradually got worse.
Speaker 2: Ever since, I haven't been to a Weatherspoons to meet up with people for probably fifteen years plus and it was a place like the Burger and a pint was great Curry Night or something that was like a Wednesday or something that was half decent as well. I do wonder now it just seems if you're going to Weatherspoons now, it just seems to be sort of desperate men that have been in there since nine o'clock getting a pint. Just care that the beer is like fifty p cheaper than anywhere else. And you know, bloody Sharon, she took the kids. That's so. Yeah, Boxing Days not Christmas, is it.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of market town weatherspoons. They have sort of a ratio of how many they're allowed in an area. I think, so they don't outcompete each other. But you get a lot of market town weatherspoons, but you don't get any properly rural weatherspoons that I don't know of any that have taken over a village pub or something. They're always in a town.
Speaker 2: I think they probably just want the footfall, they want the it's a numbers game must.
Speaker 1: Be for them. You don't drive to a Weatherspoons, do you?
Speaker 2: Nah? Nah? Get the bus mhm.
Speaker 1: Rural pubs though, still I don't know what they like around Bear, but here it's you're a restaurant or you die.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: I don't think there are any that are actual pubs.
Speaker 2: Can you make markup just solely on booze? Probably not well, I mean some kind if you were seasonal. But it's really hard, yeah, I am. I was talking with Artiam who owns the Warwick in Pimlico, and just the cost, the rising costs of the staff cost, the nastal insurance, the rising business rates, it makes it. It makes it really difficult. Thankfully he's but the trend because he's just busier than ever because the food's really good. But generally it's it's really hard for businesses out there.
Speaker 1: Well, there's this campaign at the moment, isn't there for producing the VAT for hospitality.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's an interesting one.
Speaker 1: Taking it from twenty percent to ten percent because for non UK listeners, yes, that really is twenty percent here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, most people don't pay anywhay close to that to day and it's certain things you you've got to realize that a pub as well, there's a lot of social good there's I mean, sure's there's some bad stuff around a pub, but like generally a place where people can meet community in a day and age where we're we're talking about AI and stuff like that. In the day and age we're letting American tech companies just absolutely dominate our entire lives. We should probably be supporting punishing them, and supporting local businesses and places that that stitch back the fabric of community rather than you know, all sit there looking at our phones all day and just doing nonsensical stuff that we all seem to have been suckered into. So yeah, I'm pro supporting pubs.
Speaker 1: We're probably the last generation that will have a fondness for pubs on that because it seems like the generation, the next generation gen Z, they didn't have the same experience growing up and COVID really finished that up and the lack of hospitality in that period. So every survey and every sort of analysis of what gen Z do is not does not veer towards drinking. But then you go around London on a Thursday night and watch all those apprentices and interns and everything just falling out of the pubs and just viewing onto the pavement in the city. They obviously are in some places, but not everywhere.
Speaker 2: I think it's not as bad as it's made out. But then there are quite a lot of people that have taken their their phones are being anti social as as a lifestyle choice. There is a there's an awful lot of those, but it's not everyone. And like seeing the young farmers and things like that, that's brilliant to see those guys actually out there doing it, living the dream, enjoying themselves and just I think it's a really important I kind of got a theory that we've We've spent a lot of time trying to.
Speaker 1: Thank God, what have you done?
Speaker 2: I know exactly what's what's about to happen. The missus is trying to use my card to approve the Tesco shop. Turn to the app. I have approved the delivery.
Speaker 1: This is the This is the segment of the podcast.
Speaker 2: Return to the app. I have approved the payment. Thank you.
Speaker 1: It's like Callum's the AI for his wife.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know I'm financed. Unfortunately you're a chatbot. I'll find myself in the position of I had to approve the payment on my app because my Tesco shop is so bloody expensive. Where were we? Yeah, I've got a theory right that.
Speaker 1: Other supermarkets are available but not in your area.
Speaker 2: We have spent an awful long time sheltering everybody from doing bad things and unhealthy things. But I think that the only way that you work stuff out is by making the mistakes in the first place. Like I learned that I can't drink fifteen pints by drinking fifteen pints, and then that made me really sick, and I know I can't do that, so I'll stop at a much lower These days, it's like two pints and I need to go to bed or I need my mum. But I think that the more we shelter from the things that are bad for us, so the more information that we're like, oh, we should be doing this, and we should be doing that, and the pressure to conform to be progressive and perfect and healthy, that the less of the bad stuff, you know. So I think what we really need to do is make Britain shit again, you know, make people go out and drink more than they should, make people eat too much greasy food, and just do have awkward interactions with people until eventually you don't you're not as awkward as you were, or you just become what do they call Richard an extrovert, or you just eventually your awkward interactions, you're getting paid for them, and you're talking in front of the Women's Institute.
Speaker 1: Fine tuning these awkward interactions down to a monetizable level.
Speaker 2: Exactly. I think we need to make Britain shit again.
Speaker 1: This is the actual an argument for in certification, which is push people out to the limits of what they can survive so that they can pull back a bit and find their sort of sweet spots.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I don't think we've done like we've We've ruined we've ruined pubs, We've ruined engagement with young people. It's really hard to I was in a place the other day and overheard the girl saying that she was scared of drunk people.
Speaker 1: Yes, that is a that is a thing of a fear of interactions with other people, anxiety about interactions.
Speaker 2: And she said that because they were because they were unpredictable, which I get it, But they're not really unpredictable, are they. They Like, you know, they talk loudly, they fall over things, not having a newborn, it's a puke, just just it's not They're not unpredictable, and it's just sad that we've lost We've lost a lot of things in the past twenty years, and we're doing a lot of things different. So I think the in shitification, yeah, everything shit is everything shit. I don't think it is. But I think we can do more to make to make mistakes by yourself and then learn from them.
Speaker 1: And we all feel You've just made everyone feel old as well. Yeah, talking about their youth and how far behind it was. So I'm going to finish that off for the main show with this little just think thing to put people at ease and make them feel warm and fuzzy about the direction their life has gone. You know, the film Back to the Future, I do the first film was nineteen eighty five and he travels back thirty years and time to nineteen fifty five. So if you were making that today, Martin McFly would travel back to nineteen ninety six.
Speaker 2: Spice Girl, Yeah, oh wow. I'm pretty sure Toy Story was the film of the year nineteen ninety six. Wow.
Speaker 1: So everyone feels old now, Right onto the after show, which is for patrons only, but everyone else, We'll see you again next week, which will feature a live recording in the field with Richard Nigas and I but probably not Callum because he'll still be paying for his test coat shop.
Speaker 2: I gotta get it, Gotta me keep somehow Bye. Why