Speaker 1: You're listening to Bill Handle on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: I guy sitting next to a woman at a bar say, would you have sex with me for a million dollars?
Speaker 3: She said yes? Would you have sex with me for twenty dollars? She says no?
Speaker 2: Who do you think I am? Well, that's already been established. Now we're just dealing with the price.
Speaker 4: Got a little.
Speaker 1: Negotiation, and now handle on the news. Ladies and gentlemen. Here's Bill Handle.
Speaker 3: And good morning everybody. Bill Handle.
Speaker 2: Here. It is a Thursday morning, August twenty two, and from Memorial Days coming up August, I know September two, right, so that's next weekend, and of course on Monday I take off. Neil, are you working on Memorial Day?
Speaker 4: I am, but in for Gary and Shannon that whole week with my dear friend Marla teez yea from Fox eleven. So we'll be doing that whole week together. Excellent and looking forward to it. She's fantastic. She is good. She is good.
Speaker 3: Amy. Is are you working Memorial Day?
Speaker 5: Well? I did work Memorial Day, but I am not working Labor Day.
Speaker 3: Oh that's it, Labor Day, not Memorial Day. I always get the too confused, and you are not working labor day.
Speaker 5: No, the heather worker is going to be in front.
Speaker 2: Oh good okay, con Oh, of course you're working, and of course you're working.
Speaker 3: It's it's a food chain issue, all right. Let me say hello, how.
Speaker 4: About it's a dedication to their job issue. Oh please being part of the team.
Speaker 3: Oh please, that's that's vomitous. Leave me alone. Okay, good morning, Cono, No exactly what. You're not working?
Speaker 4: No, it's not a good morning. Just just put me down.
Speaker 3: I didn't put you down.
Speaker 2: Food that is decided that the lower wrung people have to work.
Speaker 3: No, I'm not in plying that. I'm saying that it's a fact.
Speaker 4: Let's all, let's all revolt this morning. No one say hi to him, no one say good morning.
Speaker 2: He gets it doesn't matter. I can fill it in and good morning, Good morning.
Speaker 3: Mill, good morning Bill.
Speaker 2: Uh that's fine, Amy, that's uh. She's not so. She feels pretty good about it. Yeah, so that works out fair enough. Okay, where are we going today? Well, we had the DNC last night. It was really good. I'm really I love the ramping up now of what's going on to the Democrats and the Republicans, because now it's a real good fight.
Speaker 3: Now it is just terrific. But Joe Biden, it was kicking a dog.
Speaker 2: It was just actually basically kicking a dead horse that you know, As much as I hate to say it, and I thought, in many ways, Joe Biden did an excellent job and a real public servant and a great guy. I believe that politically, whether you agree with him or not, he is a decent guy, to say the least. So now it's a real fight. Now it's gonna be fun. All right, what else is going on? We're gonna talk today. We got Mo Kelly of course, as we finish the show, Joel Larsgard, and we're gonna speak with Joel about a bunch of things.
Speaker 3: I like Thursdays. Thursdays are fun. All right, let's do it. It's time.
Speaker 2: I keep on looking at my clock on the screen, and it stopped working in five twenty seven, So it's gonna be five twenty seven the whole morning.
Speaker 5: Does that mean?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I think so? All right, so let's do it.
Speaker 4: We were talking this morning and Bill's all, I go, man, we gotta get ready. He goes, it's like five thirty. I go No, it's not sixh one.
Speaker 2: There was a little it's five twenty seven, thirty seven at thirty seven seconds.
Speaker 3: All right, let's do it, guys.
Speaker 2: It's time for Handle on the News on this Thursday morning at five twenty seven with Amy and Neil and me lead story.
Speaker 4: He was.
Speaker 3: Last night.
Speaker 2: I thought that the Democratic Convention was kind of neat.
Speaker 4: It was.
Speaker 2: It just continues to be a party. I'll talk more about that coming up at seven o'clock. But the big anticipation was, of course Tim Walls, was he going to make it through his introduction on this level of a political stage.
Speaker 3: He's never had him. It's about as big as it gets.
Speaker 2: I give him an a minus maybe even a He struck home, wasn't too long, didn't go on interminately like Bill Clinton's speech that.
Speaker 3: Went on and on and on.
Speaker 2: It was Oprah Winfrey was spectacular because she was short.
Speaker 3: To the point.
Speaker 2: So some went on Michelle Obama the night before great speech. Barack Obama went on and on and on. So it was good last night, and I'm going to talk about that. Stevie Wonder was there, you know, trying to figure out where the stage was, hoping he didn't fall off, so there was a lot of fun with Stevie Wonder. I think he is absolutely spectacular to see him in person, the guy is scary, brilliant.
Speaker 3: He is so good and all.
Speaker 2: We're going to talk a lot more about all of this coming up at seven o'clock.
Speaker 5: First a Democrat, then an independent, will it be Republican next?
Speaker 3: Robert F.
Speaker 5: Kennedy Junior is reportedly about to end his campaign for president. He's running as an independent. As I mentioned, he started as a Democrat then switched. Well, now they're saying that there's a good chance that he's going to endorse former President Trump.
Speaker 3: It's sort of a given.
Speaker 4: Why is that a given?
Speaker 2: Because the reports are there's too many reports that are saying that he's doing it.
Speaker 3: There's no denial on his side at all.
Speaker 2: He won't deny or confirm, which of course instantly means confirmation and the.
Speaker 4: Entire nation of Democrats. Why didn't you go back to the report?
Speaker 3: Are you ready for this?
Speaker 2: There are reports out there which are also not refuted, that he went to the Harris Walls campaign for exactly this. You give me an important post in the government in the new administration, I will endorse you. And according to this was I think both the CNN and ABC said that the Harris Walls campaign wouldn't even respond, didn't even respond, and you've got the Trump campaign saying yep.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: Jd Vance said that Kennedy is not being offered a cabinet position. He'll just be out there endorsing Donald Trump because he believes in Donald Trump, which of course everybody knows is a complete croc.
Speaker 3: So we'll see.
Speaker 2: Denio on both sides. Oh no, oh no, he endorses Trump, Trump wins. Do you think he's not going to get a cabinet position.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but a cabinet position with Trump is just a paycheck. Trump has all the power.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, and he takes it, but it depends on which one. For example, if Trump doesn't care Department of Transportation, Trump doesn't get a damn he goes. Yeah, he just do whatever you want, postmaster general. That's generally the case, you do whatever you want commerce. It's the stuff that he really cares about. And you're absolutely right. I'll tell you what he doesn't have is a communications director. The communication director pulls a paycheck. The press office pulls a paycheck. Because Trump knows far more about what the messaging than anybody could hire.
Speaker 3: Just ask him.
Speaker 2: And in many cases, by the way, he is absolutely right to promote the Trump message. There is nobody out there that can promote his message the.
Speaker 3: Way he does.
Speaker 2: Where you have all the other candidates listening to their consultants and advisors, everybody, here's my message, How do I promote it?
Speaker 3: And what guys do I put it? How do I portray it? And Trump doesn't ask that question, he just.
Speaker 4: Does another side note, because you're a historian. Did Hitler have a communications director?
Speaker 3: I don't think ye.
Speaker 2: Well, he had a propaganda minister, Joseph Goebbels, who was incorporated in what Goebels did the Department of proper Ganda. That propaganda minister was a communications director, and Goebels was I mean, the guy invented this entire process press releases that cloaking the Hitler regime in language that would be the most palatable to the most Germans and using fear and hate. You know, I'm not saying that what Trump is doing is what Goebbels did to some extent, everybody does you know where they concentrate on communications far more than.
Speaker 3: They did before.
Speaker 2: But you know, it used to be that people didn't even ever see a president. There'd be a statement handed out State of the Union. Wasn't in front of anybody, it was just a letter written to Congress.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's it's a very different world, all right.
Speaker 4: A lot of movement in Rancho Palos Verdes. They're dealing with that landslide situation. So they're looking at the land movement from a larger slide plane than was previously reported. So they have their geologists come out and they have done model after model, and it looks like the landslide is twice as deep as what had been modeled before. So they have kind of like two different shifting circumstances going on. One is slowing down and one is accelerating. And this obviously is highly problematic for the city.
Speaker 2: Good real estate prices in Portuguese Bend. You were able to grab just a premiere lot, especially hilltop lot, which may not be a hilltop lot the next several months, but still great prices to be had.
Speaker 4: One and all moving towards Portugal.
Speaker 5: Yes, that's scary though, because you just, I mean, what do you do. There's nobody who has to pay for it. You just lose that property value.
Speaker 2: What do you do when you've bought a fourteen million dollar.
Speaker 3: House on the beach in Malibu?
Speaker 2: Of course, you know, two bedroom, one bath, six hundred square foot house that went for fourteen million dollars and all of a sudden, because of global warming, you have no beachfront anymore.
Speaker 3: What do you do with that?
Speaker 4: You have to do? Yeah, what what does global warming have to do with your beachfront property?
Speaker 2: Because global warming is it was a reference to what can you do if it's a slide?
Speaker 3: Nothing?
Speaker 2: And then I refer to because of global warming, water, the water table, the water level, we'll sea level is increasing, is getting higher and glow, and you have beachfront property that is disappearing. You see the connection there. I put this one, I put all together. I refuse to have you say that I was off. I was digressing on that one.
Speaker 4: That was perfect. Yes, sir, got good school as always, mister Trump, thank you.
Speaker 5: Any new supply issue A Canada's two major freight railroads have shut down their operations. That locks out nine thousand members of the Teamsters union who operate the tree trains and could be a big blow to both the Canadian and US economies because nearly a third of the freight handled by those two railroads cross into the US and could affect agriculture, autos, home building, energy depends on how long the shutdown lasts.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and Canada is our biggest trading partner.
Speaker 2: We don't often talk about that. And what makes this one unusual. This isn't the union shutting it down. This is management shutting it down and saying, Okay, you guys don't want to talk. We're having an altercation. We're having some discussions as to new contracts. Tell you what we're going to shut down the railroad until you come to the table.
Speaker 3: Ooh, that you don't see very often.
Speaker 4: All right, Three things, Keep your neighborhoods safe, keep the potholes filled, and keep let out of the water. Not too difficult. Tapwater in Los Angeles' Watts neighborhood was found to have lead a new study release just yesterday, leaving residents obviously concerned. This is what the problem is. The study was commissioned by Better Watts Initiative. They are the ones that found the lead in the tap water samples in single family homes. But these pipes haven't been changed out since nineteen eighty five. They've been trying to get for years just to get a study done, and now get it done. Health experts say that the most at risk are pregnant women, kids and the like, and it's a massive shame on Los Angeles that that's happening.
Speaker 2: Well, when you talk about it, haven't been changed in nineteen eighty five. The piping the water system here in Los Angeles was put in the turn of last century. There are pipes that are over way over one hundred years old, and the lifespan of those is less than one hundred years and.
Speaker 4: The other eighty We just had ours replaced twenty thousand dollars to have the pipe from the house to the street.
Speaker 2: And people certainly can't afford that if you're living in Watts you know, which is a pretty poor.
Speaker 4: Area of the city. Also to afford it. Pardon, I couldn't afford.
Speaker 2: It, I understand, But in reality, you you did, you were I might have to say I had to sell my good kidney. Oh good for you, well said, okay, Well that's okay, cono, that's that's a promo right there. Okay, I had to sell my good kidney because I couldn't afford it.
Speaker 3: Excellent well said.
Speaker 2: Also, we point out that the number the amount of lead that can be in the drinking water as in terms of safety is zero. Now everything else, you know, for example, fecal man are in processed food, one in several hundred million is allowed by law, and you don't pay attention rat crap on top of cans or in the you know, in coke, in soft drinks, you're allowed to have X number of parts per million or per billion with lead zero zero.
Speaker 3: It is that dangerous.
Speaker 5: You are on your own when you go into the water, or you may soon be so I'm not sure if you're aware. But the Shark Lab at cal State Long Beach has been tagging sharks and monitoring them for quite a while along the southern California coast. The sharks are then or the shark Lab is alerted if a shark is nearby, and then they can put out the word that they're sharks. Here's the problem. The shark Lab has lost its state funding in the latest round of budget cuts, and if they don't raise five hundred dollars in private funds by the end of September, the shark monitoring system will.
Speaker 2: End ooh and that you know, you think that'd be fairly valuable. I mean, I don't care because I don't go to the beach, but uh, matter of fact, sure, let's take away their money.
Speaker 3: I'd say, you know, there are a lot of people that go to the beach.
Speaker 2: Did they even take away the money for the loudspeakers that played the theme from Jaws whenever a shark is spotted on the beach?
Speaker 4: Wouldn't I did?
Speaker 3: Yeah, wouldn't that be terrific?
Speaker 4: They did. Now they just have an obol player who does it by himself. It's horrible. No speaker, nothing. Uh.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So police had to step in a couple of times during protests over the conventions first two days to arrest dozens of people. But last night about a thousand people demonstrated and marched peacefully against the war in Gaza. And it you know, it's mostly like there was families and so this one was peaceful last night.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And uh, they wouldn't let a pro Palestinian speaker come on to the stage at the Democratic National Convention. And keep in mind the opposition to Israel staying in Gaza and continuing this war. The opposition is coming from the Democratic Party, the real progressive side of the Democratic Party. So to not have someone who's pro Palestinian show up says a lot.
Speaker 3: And it was. It was peaceful demonstrations out.
Speaker 2: There because there how many were they talking about one thousand protests were in Chicago.
Speaker 3: That's that's nobody. And as I said.
Speaker 2: Earlier, the people were looking at the possibility of a Chicago nineteen sixty eight Chicago like showdown when in sixty eight the Democratic Convention was in Chicago, Chicago and the entire city blew up with demonstrators by the tens, if not hundreds of thousands. There was anti war demonstrations at that time.
Speaker 4: Do you remember the riots in Los Angeles in nineteen ninety nine two thousand where you had rage against the machine and there was riots downtown in front of the Staple Center. And I was out there live. I was the only talk show host out there live. I got caught up in it, got locked out of the Staple Center, and our security was shot with rubber bullets and had to be taken to the hospital.
Speaker 2: Now you were shot with Did you get shot with a rubber bullet? I know a few people did.
Speaker 4: I got shot at I still have them. I have them. I have them right here in front of me in a little case. I keep them. They don't use them anymore. I'm told I had a baton swung at me, and I even showed my press tags, but the they had already read the Riot Act. And I tell people this all the time. That the La Times came to interview me, and because I was on a cell phone, I didn't even have a unit with me, because I went kind of rogue riding on the back of a ups truck to get back and forth. And the LA Times came to interview me. And when I told them that the riot cops were holding the line and that people were throwing bottles of urine and rocks at them, and that they basically instigated it, they didn't print any of my comments and barely put anything I said in there. Love it because they wanted to make the cops out to be horrible, horrible humans.
Speaker 3: Now let's talk about someone who was there last night.
Speaker 5: The families of a hostage taken during the October seventh attack took center stage at the DNC. The parents of twenty three year old American hostage hersh Goldberg Poland were on the stage pleading for the release of their son and the other people who are being held by Gaza. They said, this is a political convention, but needing our only son and all of the cheer fish hostages home is not a political issue. It's a humanitarian issue.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's about as far as they got. And they didn't even denounce the war in Gaza. They just said we want our son back. And they did give the Biden administration big kudos, saying that the Biden administration had been working ceaselessly, tirelessly in terms of negotiations, and they met with the president several times, were in constant contact. So kudos for the Biden administration. And the pro Palestinian cause is not a big deal for the Democratic Party.
Speaker 4: It just isn't all right from you know, not very important news about Gaza and you know, having people that need to be released because they're hostages. Let's move on to the important stuff. Beginning today, the fall favorite beverage returns to the US menu. Yes, Starbucks brings back the PSL the Pumpkin Spice Latte two days earlier than in twenty twenty three. So there's some good news that you can sink.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and this has become and you've been talking about this for years, Neil, but it has become this massive story on itself. When Starbucks brings back it's pumpkin spice latte, and that's covered all over the country and it's a big deal. At what point is that going to be a national holiday? Is Pumpkin Spice Latte Day?
Speaker 4: Starbucks is hurting, They'll take They're going to start. It's never going to go away.
Speaker 2: Now you think pumpkin spice latte will be there constant, I mean forever, it's gonna be on the me have to.
Speaker 4: Do something because they are are not doing as well as they once were.
Speaker 3: Hey, I have an idea. How about producing good tasting coffee? You think that would help?
Speaker 4: You don't like it to taste burnt?
Speaker 2: No, I don't, well, sort of if I want bit or burnt, you know I can do that myself without spending five bucks for a cup of coffee.
Speaker 4: Oh no, just standing next to you, well, drinking coffee makes it bitter.
Speaker 2: Well, it's a slurp afest. It's slurpiosity.
Speaker 3: I'll grant you that.
Speaker 4: So yeah, So okaybody to go out there and get your.
Speaker 2: Your yes sunken spice latte, and both Neil and I have espresso machines. Were a cup of coffee that is better, costs every bit of a buck or seventy cents.
Speaker 4: Or three and already what I'm three, I'm three deep already. Yeah, there you go.
Speaker 3: And here's mine.
Speaker 2: You know, I am I looking at a cup I got It's an insulated cup, my BMW, you know, insulated cup.
Speaker 5: Speaking of moving, another move has been made to get people moving on the people Mover at LAX. Four train cars have arrived from Pittsburgh. That completes the forty four set of cars for the automated people Mover coming to Lax. It's going to be a two and two point five mile elevated train. It's expected now to open in January of twenty twenty six. The original goal was to have it open last year.
Speaker 2: Isn't that I'm assuming these cars go from terminal to terminal. I've not seen the plants like other airports. You go to Las Vegas, for example.
Speaker 5: Las Vegas has a great one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're the peopleless, the non driver people mover.
Speaker 3: Train thing and it works.
Speaker 2: Now you go to La and you can do a half mile walk to go to customs, for example, passport control.
Speaker 3: You know, nothing like that. You know, you've got.
Speaker 2: Off a fourteen hour flight, you're dying and out here and go ahead and take a hike.
Speaker 3: So hope.
Speaker 4: No, it's even worse coming back and trying to get a ride. Now you have to go you know, god awful walk to be able to get a taxi or anything like that.
Speaker 3: Oh that's right. You can't get rides anymore in front of the airport.
Speaker 4: No, it just is, it is. It is such a horrible experience.
Speaker 3: It's a horrible airport. I don't even know if it's fixable. It's just it's at airport.
Speaker 4: Duck tap and popsicle sticks on that thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's not fine.
Speaker 4: I love Burbank, God bless you Burbank.
Speaker 5: I know, isn't it great?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Alrighty, So you know what, bomb threats, all kinds of efforts to disrupt the convention have been you know, put into play by people that don't want to you know, don't want it to go on, want they're cause to be pointed out. And the latest one is now Chicago police and the FBI investigating saboteurs who placed bugs in a breakfast buffet? Damn you that were that was prepared for delegates at the Democratic National Convention.
Speaker 3: Naggots. They put maggots in the food.
Speaker 4: Are you female offenders? So apparently put maggots and crickets.
Speaker 2: Now the defense is going to be when these people are arrested in trial, is those maggots and crickets actually made the food taste better because it was so horrible.
Speaker 4: Because it was buffet.
Speaker 3: It was a buff.
Speaker 4: Maggots are clean, they are.
Speaker 3: They use maggots for magi.
Speaker 2: Yeah, maggots will actually also they use maggots to eat uh necro fighting flesh, you know. No, it's when you're flesh. No, when you're flesh, when you're in the crosis, your flesh is dead and the maggots eat that. It very very impressive, and you want to have lunch right after that too.
Speaker 4: Don't mess with people's food, man, Yeah, call in a bomb threat like a normal person.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, Neil, I think you should be all behind this. You keep talking about how crickets are sustainable and all that crap.
Speaker 3: It is, and they are.
Speaker 2: They're just disgusting and we just we just do different different cultures do different food. Go to France, you know, and have a sea biscuit steak. You know, a horse steak is a very a very rare cheese. In Nicarawa. It's not their normal.
Speaker 4: You know. You don't find it everywhere, but there's one place I know of that sells it. It's a cheese that is being eaten by maggots and you eat it that way. Okay, good morning everybody on Epatito.
Speaker 5: Coach Pete Carroll is trading in the field for the classroom. So the Trojans or former Trojans football coach is coming back to USC Force. He left fourteen years ago and has been coaching in the NFL until last January when the Seattle Seahawks chose to part ways. But now he's coming back and he's going to be teaching at USC for spring semester. Of course they're not.
Speaker 4: Saying what he's telling.
Speaker 3: What is he teaching?
Speaker 5: They haven't said, Yeah, Professor.
Speaker 4: Peake, big Ball's pet they used to call him back in the day when he was is that what they called Yeah, when he would on the fourth they would tend to run the ball. So alrighty air tags, this is brilliant. Two suspected male thieves were thwarted by these air tags from Apple, these little tracking devices there in Santa Barbara County. She was fed up, this woman fed up that her male kept being stolen and if I remember correctly, this is in like a lock box. This is the male at po box or something, and she was tired. It happened multiple times. So she finally mailed herself a package because she's a genius, with one of these tags in it. It was stolen. She called the police, which is the way you should do it, and they went and tracked it with her and ended up breaking this huge fraud and theft ring and all of this because she was smart enough to track it.
Speaker 5: Good for her.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, awesome, Right, Yeah, I think we're done, guys.
Speaker 3: That's basically it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, my time is all screwed up because my timer is off, which I'm going to have you know, figured out in the next few minutes.
Speaker 5: Is it still five twenty seven where you are? It?
Speaker 2: Certainly?
Speaker 4: Is it?
Speaker 3: Certainly is?
Speaker 4: Here's my timer.
Speaker 2: If I froze at five twenty seven this morning, and I took my wristwatch off, and I've taped it down to the desk and I think we're gonna get it in the next few minutes.
Speaker 4: Hopefully. There's such a luddite man. It's just it's a clock. I have like eight clocks in front of me right now.
Speaker 2: No, it's a clock on the screen on my computer screen. That's where I look at the clock, and that froze this morning at five twenty seven thirty seven. I might add, this is KFI AM six forty live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 3: You've been listening to the Bill Handle Show.
Speaker 2: Catch My Show Monday through Friday six am to nine am, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.