Speaker 1: I totally agree with you about the states rights issue for regarding abortion fifty five krs the Talk station ATO six at fifty five kr C, the Talks Day and b Thomas having one hell of a great time. I just love Peter Bronson and talking with with Peter Bronson so much, and we're going to make that happen again. He and I both big fans of literature generally, which obviously isn't shock and considering as an author, but just such a brilliant, intelligent, easy to talk with guy. He's got a knowledge base a mile wide. So we'll get Peter back on the show soon. And thank you to the several listeners who sent me an email talking about how much they enjoyed that discussion, because I don't think anybody enjoyed it more than I did. And another man who I have profound respect for, uh Brian Ibel. Brian is in studio and I've hit Brian in the studio multiple times, and I was glad to see him on the rundown. It is that time of year and I kind of wish we all sort of felt all year long that it was the charitable time of year. But you know, season kicks in Thanksgiving and Christmas and Hanukah and we're all in a celebratory mood, we tend to start thinking about those on life's margins who don't have it so great. You know. Bob Wetter was on yesterday from the Wish Tree. The wish trees are up all over town. There's going to be a wish tree at Pricel Chile on the first Wednesday of November, where we're having the final listener lunch of the year for our Christmas Lunch, if you want to call it that. But if anywhere you can find the opportunity to help someone out, if you have it within your financial means or even within your time commitment means, see if you can try to do something for someone else. And nobody knows about that more than Brian Iibold. And after what twenty five years almost in the Cincinnti Police Department and time to retire and trying to figure out which direction he was going to take his life, well he went in the charitable contribution direction. I've had him on before to talk about his charitable organization, the Help Squad. You can find him online at the Help Squad Sinceywthwy dot com and he was just talking off air. He said, you know, I could have gotten in an RV and drove all over then, you know, spent my time in a tiki bar drinking the hours away. But there is nothing at all like what I am doing with helping folks out. Brian, good to have you back here in studio. Yeah, thanks for having me. Really appreciate it. Well, you get to see the reality of what you're doing for folks. So let's start with what you are doing for folks, you and the volunteers and those who contribute which I will strongly encourage my listeners to do to your charitable organization. You have an interesting perspective on folks in need, so let's talk about the day to day operations of the Help Squad and the type of people that you provide assistance to throughout the year.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, so, the Help Squad is a Christian based five oh one c three nonprofit organization. So just by saying Christian based, that should get your support right off the bat.
Speaker 3: But wait, there's more.
Speaker 2: The Help Squad also assist financially struggling families, with a focus on single moms and dads on the West side of town.
Speaker 1: And it's nice that somebody is serve on the west side of town, you know. And I just kind of felt we got overlooked. I say, week because I grew up in Dell High.
Speaker 2: But yeah, no, I'm from Price sal I did the migration Price Hill to del High, del High to Bridgetown and Bridge down. I guess to Harrison, then Harrison to Bright, Indiana. That's usually how the migration goes for West side ers. But you yeah, me, stop off now, I passed that up. But uh, you know that's where my heart is on the on the west side. And but I'll tell you right now, we have a vision of having the Help Squad Norwood the Help Squad, Anderson Township the Help Squad Blue Ash. That's the vision because there's more than people on the west side that need help, you know what I mean. And it kills us because on our website you can request assistance and a lot of the requests that we receive are not in our service areas, you know, And it's unfortunate.
Speaker 3: However, if some people.
Speaker 2: Would get off the couch and start start the help Squad in different areas of town, we can we can win this, you know, I go right to tell we can do this.
Speaker 3: Oh absolutely.
Speaker 1: I had Keith Deserts from the Care Starts Now on earlier in the week. They lost their daughter to pediatric brain cancer eighteen years ago or nineteen years ago. They started the Care Starts Now to find a cure for pediatric brain cancer fast forward.
Speaker 3: It is a global, a global charity. Yeah, it's amazing. It is.
Speaker 1: It is absolutely truly amazing, And I'm always inspired by people like you and Keith and his wife Brooke and others who just it takes someone with the initiative, with the idea and the initiative to at least start it, because it sounds tripe to say if you build it, they will come. You know, I'm not a self starter kind of guy. You know, I'd never been a I'm not an entrepreneurial type. I've always been a W two employee. I like to point that out all the time. But you know, if there's someone over there doing this great work, I'm more than happy to help out contribute. Some people have time to help, and some people have money to help. But there's always that one person who establishes the organization and then next thing you know, you're surrounded by all this support to help you get the work done that you're trying to accomplish.
Speaker 3: It's great, Oh yeah, definitely.
Speaker 2: So so I started the organization. However, we incorporated an amazing a woman, our vice president, Sam Sam Jasper. She actually Brian was diagnosed with cancer a couple six months about six months ago.
Speaker 3: She went through.
Speaker 2: Chemo radiation surgery, and she still helped others going through all that. So you know the listeners that, oh, I can't do anything, there's really no excuse. This lady worked through something that none of us, most of us won't go through, and she was still able to come through and help people.
Speaker 1: So well, you know, maybe her work inspired her to work and that helped her to get through the cancer and the other problems associated with it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, very well, this lady's a unicor or you won't find too many people like Sam, you.
Speaker 1: Know, starting to help squad. You never running into people like that. So it's okay. Give my listeners a couple of examples of how the organization works and spreading the word on it, and see if we can get some contributions to go in. Give me a give me one of your heartwarming stories of success and how the charity actually goes about fulfilling its mission.
Speaker 3: Okay, let me thank you here.
Speaker 2: So our most recent lady we helped, single mother, was in an abusive relationship, had to flee from up north. I won't mention where she came to Cincinnati. I won't mention where to as a refuge from this, you know, this lunatic husband of hers.
Speaker 1: Getting out is the most challenging thing.
Speaker 2: For exactly and Cincinnati was the only place that she could find housing. And so she basically fled here with and showed up here with literally nothing, basically the clothes on her back, no food, just a few diapers, basically no furniture at all. There's really nothing this lady had her had jam bag escape. Yeah, yeah, pretty much. Yeah. So the help squad, she contacted us, and luckily, because of our donations and having the funds in the bank, we were able to provide her with food, diapers, furniture, a washer, a dryer. She's actually going to school online to be a nurse. She's almost has a four year degree and unfortunately, through the move her computer broke it was damage. We were able to get her a computer to finish her degree. And so this is what I'm trying to say, The Help Squad is a very unique organization. You just can't call somewhere and get this type of assistance. So that's why I'm always looking for the support, you know, to help us. I mean, donations are down, volunteers are down.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: I've been on the radio several times. I've been on TV.
Speaker 2: I've been on cable news network, magazines, meetings, speak engagements. I've talked to politicians, county commissioners, business owners, very influential people. I have friends, they're multi millionaires and give nothing. So I don't know what else it's going to take to get our message across. You know, do I have to like myself on fire Fountain Square? You know, I mean I have matches.
Speaker 3: I will do.
Speaker 2: We will do whatever it takes to get this word out because it only takes one. It takes one person to hear this. And we have reached tens of thousands of people and have gathered just you know, a handful of support. Now that handful of support, they're amazing, amazing businesses, people, you name it. But there's a ton of other people that could help and just choose not to.
Speaker 3: Getting the word out.
Speaker 1: I mean, listen, No one can doubt there are a multitude of charities out there, but you really are unique in what you are doing. This isn't like getting on a snap program. This isn't like you know, getting on a government aid program. This is really very very tailor focused needs that you are addressing with. You know, quite often it's a cash contribution. There is a situation where someone can't pay the rent one month. Help Squad comes to the rescue, gets them over that hurdle and helps them deal with those challenges. We'll pause, will bring Brian Ibold back again. Help Squad, the Help Squad Sincy with y dot com. Right there, there's a little donate button. You can take care of that right while we're on a break. Right now, right back, don't go away.
Speaker 3: Time for the nine first ony one.
Speaker 1: The forecast today is going to be overcast day, isolated, afternoon showers in a higher.
Speaker 3: Forty three down to thirty eight every night with clouds.
Speaker 1: Mostly cloudy starts tomorrow, become partly cloudy as the day rolls on, going up to forty eight down to thirty four overnight, which is partly cloudy skies and I'm mostly sunny Sunday with a higher fifty four.
Speaker 4: It's thirty four right now, It's time for a traffic update from the UCL Tramping Center. Are you one of the thirty eight million Americans impacted by diabetes? Get personalized education and treatment options from the experts that you see help learn more at U seehelp dot com stopbound seventy time continues to run an extra five minutes through wak onund and now getting heavy through Northern Kentucky on southbound seventy five due to an accident near Buttermilk that blocks the left lane. Chuck Ingram on fifty five krs. The talk station.
Speaker 1: Eight seventeen eighteen fifty five kr CEV talk Station Brian Thomas with Brian Eye Bowld in studio the Help Squad. Since you with the white dot comms where you find Brian charity and of course it's a charity for all folks that are struggling on the West Side. Helping folks out that are truly in dire situations. Just really heart heartwarming but moving story. You just told about the woman who had to just run literally run away from her abusive situation. And you know, I've I've heard about that so many times over the years, and it's easy for me to say just walk away. I read stories about abusive relationships and you wonder, how in the hell is it that you know two people could end up you know, making the stack is stupid in the morning because they can't get along. Why don't you just walk away? Well, that's easy to say. The challenge is actually following through with it because you're fearing for your life. But once they pull the trigger and get out of dodge, usually with very little, that's where a group like the Help Squad comes in and they need your help. You can donate financially, but you're also looking for some help with volunteers. To Brian, you might understand that correctly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, certainly, we will take we're looking for volunteers, we're looking for donations. We're looking for item donations that we can auction off. But I'll tell you what, Brian, there's people that can't afford to help. I understand that there's people that don't have the ability to get out to help. But here's the thing. Everybody can pray for us. And to be honest with you, if you had the chance to give a donation or a prayer, I'll take the prayer. God's in control, not me, not the donors, but God. And if God wants to make this huge, it'll be huge. And if not, we'll just keep going until He directs somewhere else.
Speaker 1: It's just that simple. Your faith is inspirational just in and of itself. Hearing you say that it truly is reflective of your commitment and that where it comes from, you know, fulfilling the Christian mission. So I think people quite often overlook that that it's our individual responsibility. I believe doctrinally and dogmatically speaking. This is why I get angry with with church leaders who want to offload the responsibility of helping your fellow human beings in this society by offloading that to government services or programs. I mean, charity begins at home and it's their obligation individually to help out. And this is a way you can fulfill that mission. Just hand over some cash or some time or some effort or prayer for the help squad. Help squadsincy dot com. You have a toy drive coming up, Am I right on that one.
Speaker 2: We do Thursday, December fifth at the west Side Staple Bucketheads on Harrison Avenue.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you got a lot bucketheads in there. Done that.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, it's from four to eight. It's a toy drive. We'll also accept donations, gift cards, items, you name it. And our goal is to have the toy stacked to the ceiling. And one of the ways we're going to do that is the Center for the Cincinnati Bengals. Ted Carris is also going to make a guest appearance science Moutographs, take some pictures and just help us out having some fun there.
Speaker 1: Well, that'd be a really nice thing to meet Ted and help the charity out at the same time. And congratulations, I see on your website again help Squad SYNTHI with the White dot Com Corey and Chamber of Commas Commerce awarded you the New Business Rising Star of the Year for this year they did.
Speaker 3: That was a very nice award. We were glad to get it.
Speaker 2: A lot of hard work and effort was put in by myself, are saying the vice president and everybody on our board. These ladies work continuously and you know, I just want to add real quick that you know, and I think a lot of your listeners can relate to this. You know, I grew up with single mom and this. My mom struggled for the longest time. We had our electric turn off at one point, I remember eating cold TV dinners, you know. And this has to resonate with some of your listeners.
Speaker 3: It just has to.
Speaker 2: But could you imagine, Brian, if my mom could have picked up a phone and called an organization like us to help her through these rough patches. Could you imagine that? Wouldn't it have been awesome? But you know what, she couldn't because there was no organization like ours. And that was fifty years ago, that was in the seventies, and there still wasn't. Well fifty years later, guess what there is one. It's called the Help Squad, and we're going to do everything that we can. This can be done. You just need the support of everybody. Me and myself, Sam and our five people on the board aren't gonna be able to do it. We need everybody's help.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And the idea is not a perpetual, ongoing handout. You're helping people get through the bumpier times. Like the woman that you got the computer for. She's going to be a nurse at some point here soon and she will make a very nice living and she will always be in a position of being employed. My wife was a nurse. You never had to worry about where your paycheck was coming if you were a nurse, because there's always a demand for nursing. She's going to be free and on her own. But without your support, she never probably would have been able to accomplish completing the degree. So it's just again getting people over bumps in the road. Financial assistance is offered. You have housing support, you connect folks with shelter networks and shelter diversion programs, housing grants, food support. We know where all the local food aid can be helped I've found and the pantries are. You're sort of a one stop you know, informational department as well.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, definitely.
Speaker 2: And I know there's a lot of government agencies out there and whatnot, but try to navigate through them. See if they call you back, See if they responded your email, See if they put you on hold for five hours. You know, the government does come in, but they come in when you're at rock bottom. The help squad french you from getting there. That's a big difference.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're right, that's an excellent way of putting it. A really excellent way of putting it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we assist though basically the working poor who somehow have a financial issue or financial crisis through sickness, maybe injury, they got laid off, whatever it takes, or whatever happens. You know, we will fix the gap in between so they can continue making their ends meet.
Speaker 1: Now you mentioned items that you will accept by way of donation. Is I don't want to draw a parallel here, that's inappropriate, but I immediately, like sink Vincento Paul pops into my mind. But if someone has working operable, like you know, we're phasing out the h the old dryer in favor of a new one, if they have something like that that you'll you'll you'll take it.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, certainly, certainly.
Speaker 2: And I just want to add that Saint Vincents Paul is an amazing organization as well, and we partner with them. So let's say somebody needs one thousand dollars for a back rent a lot of times same that Paul will pay half and then we'll pay the other half. So yeah, they're a media. Yeah, and here's the thing. But I'm not here, you know, to complain, And I will tell you this. I am frustrated. It's been a long year. Everything is down. You know, I don't know what it takes to get people to write this is it. We're doing it. I see it every day. I'm not crazy. And to get people motivated to get off the couch and let's go make a difference in this world. You're gonna live here once, right. You can't take the money with you, you just can't.
Speaker 3: Ye So and it is.
Speaker 1: I always see charity because I just almost feel guilty that you feel good about helping someone in need out because that person is in need and it makes you feel terrible. But that's what that's what generates the charitable contribution, and you get to see the smile on the face and the work that's actually done with that charitable contribution. It gives you, It uplifts your spirit. You're fulfilling your Christian mission and it makes you feel good. So as by giving, go ahead, embrace the feeling you get from that and enjoy that charitable spirit you get. That's part of the gift of giving. The help Squad Sinsey WITHTHWY dot com. Please feel free to donate your time, your effort, your energy, your services. Reach out to them, find out what they might need to help those in need. It's easy to do. Brian's made it so simple right there at the help squadsincy dot com. Brian, God, bless you for the inspirational conversation today and what you're doing for folks in need throughout the year. I hope someone out there my listening audience is inspired to do the same and help you out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thank you.
Speaker 2: Just as a reminder christ he came here to serve, not to be served. Let's go get off the couch.
Speaker 1: Eight twenty six fifty five k see the talk station pause for a moment, and don't go away. Kim from the Saint Anthea, Patowa Church's gonna be talking Mediterranean Food festival. I love when she comes in house, and she will be in house here momentarily. I'll be right back.
Speaker 2: This is fifty five KRC, an iHeartRadio station.
Speaker 3: This is the