Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to kf I A M six forty, The Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: We still have stuff that we're giving away. We have some Gary and Shannon Show swag, some hats and T shirts.
Speaker 1: I've met two babies.
Speaker 3: There have been two babies, one wearing a Deebo Samuel.
Speaker 1: I mean, does it get better than this baby and the Deebo Samuel Jersey. I also met baby Lily.
Speaker 3: Hold that baby up like lion king. That was That.
Speaker 2: Was great, fantastic.
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 1: Oh, that's so good.
Speaker 3: Oh did you see is yours? How about that? James Earl Jones died?
Speaker 1: I know what a loss.
Speaker 3: Sorry that was.
Speaker 1: I just thought, I mean dark Vader sort of sort of like that.
Speaker 2: Do you know James Earl Jones was not actually Mark Hamill's father.
Speaker 1: What.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I didn't find that out until he passed away.
Speaker 3: Do you see the look on this face here?
Speaker 2: This was that was an amazingly long There were so many like empty bubbles in your head just now, just now.
Speaker 3: And they all popped at the same time.
Speaker 1: It's kind of a that's kind of a regular thing.
Speaker 3: That was agreed. That was a great look.
Speaker 2: At bottom of the hour, we're going to get into some strange science stories, and like I said, we have some stuff that we're going to be giving away, including the tickets to Sweet Caroline the Music of Neil Diamond starring Jay White at the Sorita Center for the Performing Arts.
Speaker 3: That's coming up. But in the meantime, what else is going on? Time for what's happening?
Speaker 1: Well, we've been talking about it. Oh, we've been talking about it all day. The earthquake. I didn't feel it. You were driving, But Deborah was a naked in the shower with conditioner in her ear.
Speaker 3: She didn't she never, she never said the word naked.
Speaker 1: Have you ever taken a shower not naked? Your honor? I rest my case.
Speaker 3: I didn't get it. I didn't have a chance to answer.
Speaker 2: I was trying to I'm trying to revisit all of the times that I've taken a shower, and I didn't find any that I had clothes.
Speaker 1: You were nude too, That's an old John and Ken drop.
Speaker 2: So it was about a four point seven magnitude quake centered in Malibu at about seven thirty this morning while we were on the air here at about nine thirty, there was another It was an aftershock.
Speaker 3: There was about a three point four.
Speaker 2: I didn't think anybody felt it here, Like I said, we were just having too much fun.
Speaker 1: Microsoft announced that systems are back online. There was a temporary outage that affected its services, but now it has been fully resolved, so you can jump on. Is that a team's thing or well?
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 2: They also said it was not their faulty. There was a change within a third party ISP's managed environment.
Speaker 1: What the hell does that mean?
Speaker 2: I feel like, you know, I've joked about my daughter now. You know, organic chemistry is her field of study, and she start maybe three or four years ago when she would talk about chemistry. I stopped understanding. I mean, just you get out of sophomore level high school chemistry, and I don't know what you're talking about right this. There's something about computers that I feel like ended in nineteen ninety five or ninety six, whereas I'm not even interested in what a third party Internet service provider's managed environment is.
Speaker 1: It sounds like maybe there was like an air conditioner that broke in a building somewhere that houses servers, a server farm.
Speaker 2: Again, you're but even that is so far above the level that.
Speaker 1: I only know enough to say that is because I've read a bunch of Michael Connolly f books that involve that very plot line.
Speaker 3: I see.
Speaker 1: But yeah, no, we if you want to do balls jokes, were your people?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I feel like that's we have a d.
Speaker 2: A PhD. Perhaps when it comes to scrotal humor. Right yeah, but I mean organic chemistry. And you know I advaced computation systems, not us.
Speaker 1: And I say we're pretty much a team because I tried to do some balls jokes while you were gone totally fell flat.
Speaker 3: Well who are you saying them to?
Speaker 1: Just various people, just your normal humans.
Speaker 3: Roll your window down at an intersection.
Speaker 2: I don't know why I did this, because I know you don't have windows that roll down anymore.
Speaker 3: But I just everybody knows, like.
Speaker 2: If I did this, if there's anybody here under the age of fifteen, I'd say under the age of thirty. And I do this with my hands. When I say rolling down the window, you don't know what I'm doing.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 2: You think I'm cranking the engine in the front, Like is nineteen eighteen or something?
Speaker 3: Is it even better? Reference.
Speaker 2: One of the big deals in New York is that the police commissioner has resigned. In fact, they have already named an interim police commissioner there, Tom Donlin, former BI counter terrorism official. Mayor Eric Adams made the announcement that Donalin's going to take over because and battled to police Commissioner now former Edward Kabon Cavin cabin uh step down after this, or I should say, in the midst of this federal investigation that saw federal agents come in and take a bunch of electronic devices during his home from his home. I don't think that's ever a great thing when the FBI comes and takes computers out of your house.
Speaker 1: Especially if you've got your genitals on him, like Shannon Sharp or just Shannon Sharp, j Anthony Wiener. The sounds of your oh it's awful, people are eating. Gary, have a little decency.
Speaker 2: You're the one who literally just said if we're the people to go to for balls.
Speaker 1: Jokes right, and I want to walk that back.
Speaker 3: That's too late.
Speaker 2: Speaking of Harvey Weinstein has been indicted on some new charges. The guy who literally looks like a giant scrowed them Oh my.
Speaker 3: God, charges too far.
Speaker 1: I don't know what you spent your vacation doing, but you can't come back here with all this smut and just lay it on us. Am I right again.
Speaker 2: We established early on that I had not seen the Shannon Sharp video.
Speaker 3: And you watched it twice. I love it. I don't think it.
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 2: Something about glass houses and rights and throwing dirty socks. Yeah, anyway, Harvey Weinstein indicted on new charges by a grand jury in the City of New York. Prosecutor said the indictment is currently under seal.
Speaker 3: Trial.
Speaker 2: It has been set for November twelfth. The District Attorney's office didn't provide any specifics about the new charges, although they said it was not they believe not connected to the twenty twenty conviction that had been overturned, but he will likely go for retrial on that.
Speaker 1: I think that was the first time when I saw the breaking news was during the show that Harvey Weinstein had been rushed to the hospital for emergency heart surgery. It was the first time I ever had the reaction of, Oh, thank God that this guy's got to shot it dying. For a couple of reasons. Number one, he's horrible, he's a horrible excuse for a human and number two, I don't want to see any more pictures of him. Yeah, I don't want to see that anymore. Why why are we exposed to that?
Speaker 3: It's awful, not gotten better. That's right now.
Speaker 2: We mentioned the private space walk that took place earlier today, the NASA astronaut and two cosmonauts took off today on a more traditional space flight.
Speaker 3: It was actually late yesterday.
Speaker 2: They are going to be up there for a six month tour of duty. So if you're keeping track at home, there are forty seven thousand people on board the International Space Station right now. Remember it's only at a capacity I think of nine.
Speaker 1: Right, So there were the people that were up there already, and then the two people in the dirty underwear Boeing, right.
Speaker 2: So this is the Donald Pettitt is the oldest active duty astronaut at the age of sixty nine.
Speaker 3: Wow, sixty nine.
Speaker 2: That guy blasted off in a Soviet capsule, sorry Russian capsule yesterday on his way to the International Space Station. He alexi ovin chinnin cosmonaut ivon Wagner. They were on top of that soy used to rocket yesterday. They are going to be. The total number of people in orbit at one time is now nineteen on four different spacecraft.
Speaker 1: That's too many. That's like when you have family over for the holidays and you find out everyone's coming. You know, like you extend the invitation. You're like, you guys can come here. Yeah, we'll do Christmas here, and you know that maybe at least one of those people will say yes, But then they all say us, and then you're just stuck with a house full of people and it's awful and there's not enough bathrooms.
Speaker 2: And it's not like you can say the kids are coming over later, the fam that we have to go, right, it's your house, you can't go anywhere.
Speaker 1: The good news, though, is that everybody in your house usually has enough clean underwear. Unlike those two astronauts that have been there for months after it's told that they would go for eight days.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I feel like there's a I feel like NASA, maybe SpaceX. They're clearly not Boeing, but because they've screwed things up left and right, that they would have some high tech underpants underpinning.
Speaker 1: High tech underpinning.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that would not require the same amount of laundering.
Speaker 1: Okay, So like maybe like a Jetsons thing where like the underwear is this big and then you just tap it three times and it goes pooh and it explodes into real size underwear.
Speaker 3: Carlford, what I said, did you what did you say? You just add water?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: To the math on that, How are you adding water to your underwear? I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I think they could have some properties to where you add water, but they're some sort of chemical compound to where what are you pointing to water to your like peeing in it?
Speaker 3: Yes, Wow, there's a big bubble that one didn't.
Speaker 1: Well, that's so stupid. I didn't even consider it.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's go for the smarter balls jokes. So there are there are nineteen people in orbit right now, Nine of them aboard.
Speaker 3: The space many of your men.
Speaker 2: Four of them aboard the Polaris drew down crue Dragon, three aboard China's space station, and three aboard the Soyuz that's making its way towards the international space.
Speaker 1: Seriously, what is the gender breakdown?
Speaker 2: I don't know. I know I know at least two women, because there's one. I know there's one woman on the Polaris crew and there's one woman, at least one woman on the International Space Station.
Speaker 3: Okay, so thank you for asking a great vacation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was well deserved. You needed a nice long vacation. You've had some, You've had a lot going on for a while.
Speaker 3: My fireplace isn't done yet, though.
Speaker 1: Oh well, you don't need it, so that's good.
Speaker 3: That is good. That is also very true.
Speaker 2: I do not need it as of just this moment. So all that is good news. Stories that we followed today. Of course, the campaign continues. Vice President Harrison North Carolina polls are tied there. She's going to try to win back what Barack Obama won in North Carolina. Trump is going to be at in Arizona today, campaigning a state that he narrowly lost to Joe Biden four years ago, and of course is a must win if he's going to take the White House again. Tonight, he's speaking at a campaign fundraiser here in the LA area, they say, but they haven't said specifically where it is.
Speaker 3: And then tomorrow morning he's got a news conference at the golf course there, the Trump Golf Course and Rancho Palace.
Speaker 2: Verdes, before he goes up north to the Bay area for another fundraiser hosted by software developer Tom Siebel and his wife Stacey.
Speaker 1: Well in the absence of Lucy Jones, Should we bring on Debra to talk about LA having an unusually act of earthquake year.
Speaker 2: Yes, I think that's not a bad idea as a matter of fact, because we understand that Deborah was doing her own research on the qualities of water. Is that you were doing water quality testing in the midst of a seismic event.
Speaker 1: Well, let me just just backpedal a little bit. You're putting this in a light situation. Here in California, our water pressure is not what you experienced in Tennessee over the past couple of weeks. It is very weak, and as a woman, it's never more apparent than when you are trying to get conditioner out of your heir.
Speaker 3: I see, I see where you're going. I see where you're going.
Speaker 1: It takes a long freaking time, and if you don't get it all out, Gary, you end.
Speaker 2: Up with sticky, greasy Yeah, I've seen I've seen that on you.
Speaker 1: I know, I know it happens to me pretty regularly where I think it's all out, but it's not. I've just spent four minutes getting the conditioner out. So that's enough, that's suitable. Is it all out? No, No, it's not.
Speaker 2: Deborah was in the shower when the earthquake hit this morning. It was a four point seven, I believe in Malibu.
Speaker 3: And you said, the dogs reacting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just put.
Speaker 4: The conditioner on my hair. So that was at the very beginning, Shannon. And all of a sudden, the beginning of the four minutes, yes, and the I mean, the shower door is banging, and I'm like, oh, no, this is it because I'm watching everything shake and I'm feeling it that Okay, this is it, this is the big one. Then I see my dogs they're running up to the shower door saying, Mommy.
Speaker 1: Help me, help me.
Speaker 4: And then I'm thinking about you, Shannon, when you said that you told Robin Bertolucci one time, Look, you know, when the big one hits, don't you want Deborah Mark to be in the chair.
Speaker 1: So I thought, oh, yes, this is okay. So for everyone who doesn't know this story because I've only told it once, I think on the air, Deborah wanted to anchor for John and Ken and and there were some other people involved. Maybe some other names that were coming to the surface. And I remember talking to our boss about it, Robin, and I remember saying, and this is years ago, right when the big one hits, because that's our bosses like, we want to make sure all hands on deck when the big one hits, right, we want reporters scattered. We have plans, We have all these contingency plans in place of where we would broadcast from if the Burbank studios crumbled to the ground, and we have it all dialed in. It's a concern, right, it should be for every news organization. And I said to Robin, you're gonna want Deborah Mark in that anchor booth when the big one hits. I had no idea that Deborah Mark freaks out over a three point one, like, I had no clue that this was. It's just funny that I used that as my vote for Deborah to be the anchor.
Speaker 2: We do use that as kind of the litmus test. It's like that when the big one hits whatever, Right, when the big one hits, we have to be ready for this. And when the big one hits, we have to be capable of doing these things and know what we're talking about so we use that sort of as that that bar that you want to achieve.
Speaker 3: I think that is hilarious.
Speaker 1: So that, yeah, I have no idea.
Speaker 4: I think of I've turned to movie if I beat Hill so that I don't disappoint Robin and freak out.
Speaker 2: But I think there's a there's something that is human about that is.
Speaker 1: Going to turn the page so much that she's gonna take these earthquakes on totally naked. She's gonna be like, I don't even need clothes for these earthquakes anymore.
Speaker 2: She's gonna start feeling the shaking, the shower just just disrove.
Speaker 3: At that point.
Speaker 1: Oh, that's so great.
Speaker 3: Are you paying attention to the aftershocks too?
Speaker 4: I self them, Yes, okay, kind of big one at my house, and then my husband texted me that there was another one that he felt.
Speaker 2: There were two three point four aftershocks so far. One of them was at nine thirty seven. One of them was a pretty pretty soon well about an hour after the original quake, there was a three point four, and then at about nine thirty there was a three point four. Now there's been about a dozen others that are smaller. We're not selling there two, three, two five, stuff like that.
Speaker 1: But can I clear about one thing?
Speaker 3: I We'll see.
Speaker 4: If I knew that the earthquake was gonna stay at a four point seven, you know what, I can learn to enjoy them. It's the worry of the big one.
Speaker 1: That's what I worry about.
Speaker 2: Well, and there is a moment I don't know if it's a few seconds into the shaking where I've seen this in Shannon's face a handful of times now, where you realize, Okay, that is an earthquake, and then her question on her face is is it getting.
Speaker 3: Is it gonna last much longer? Is it?
Speaker 1: It's the earthquake getting even bigger?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 1: But what I've realized, Debra, is that usually in my experience with a big one, you can tell right away it doesn't like heat up to the big one. Well, this one felt really big. Honestly, I really thought this was the big one.
Speaker 4: I did, and I thought, great, I'm naked in my shower with conditioner in my hair. What the hell am I gonna do?
Speaker 3: Your face? I've done everything I could to not make it go there.
Speaker 1: And you guys, when you shower your naked.
Speaker 2: No, No, it's more than that it's so much more.
Speaker 1: I think it's the talk about the big one.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, and how yeah, how much larger is it going to get?
Speaker 3: And how long is this going to take? Yeah? All of that.
Speaker 2: Congratulations you guys, you guys have what was something beautiful? I have some breaking news and it was about a topic we discussed a couple of times.
Speaker 3: So far on the show today Genitals second Debate.
Speaker 1: Oh get It.
Speaker 2: Stand by BBC is reporting Donald Trump has said he will not participate in another debate against Kamala Harris. The post on his Truth social platform comes after the Harris campaign said she is ready and willing to participate in another debate. Following the first meeting of the debate stage tuesday night in Philadelphia, Trump wrote, when a prize fighter loses a fight, the first words out of his mouth are I want a rematch, equating Harris, of course, to a boxer who would.
Speaker 1: Have been calling her a prize wing Muhammad Ali a loser, because he's saying she's the one who lost, and the loser always says I want a rematch.
Speaker 2: He claimed that the polls show that he won the debate, but I don't know where those polls are. I haven't seen any of it.
Speaker 1: I still think that comparing her to a prize fighter is a shedding good light.
Speaker 2: The former president added in this post, all of the problems caused by Harris and Biden, actually, he said by Kamala and Joe, were discussed in great detail during his first debate against Biden in June, and then in his second debate against Harris.
Speaker 3: There will be no third debate.
Speaker 2: He ended his posts, and he did it with all capital letters, which means he means.
Speaker 1: It is that is that?
Speaker 3: I think that's right.
Speaker 1: That's what I sent you a couple all caps texts.
Speaker 3: Can I read any of those? I feel like you can. You can't keep referencing them and then me not.
Speaker 1: It's time for strange science.
Speaker 3: It's like weird science, but strange.
Speaker 1: Do you know who is the world's most monstrous bodybuilder? Carl No, No, it's a guy by the name of Golam Golam Yeffi Mitcha Kakra.
Speaker 3: Sounds right.
Speaker 1: Golam Jeffi Mitcha Krap dead at thirty six years old.
Speaker 3: That seems a little young.
Speaker 1: He was a renowned bodybuilder known for his massive physique. Passed away at the age of thirty six, dubbed the most monstrous bodybuilder for his extraordinary size and strength, was celebrated in the fitness community. Fans are shocked. They yes, thank you whoever said that, because the next sentence I was gonna say was the cause has not been disclosed. Oh, I don't know. He's thirty six years old. He's a bodybuilder and he's the biggest one ever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, at thirty six. That's the his heart blew up. It sounds like uh and that usually is.
Speaker 1: This is why I try to tell you to stay out of the gym so much, right, And I have taken that.
Speaker 2: To heart in the last couple of weeks.
Speaker 1: So look at this guy.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, how do you You can't buy shirts like that is what it looks like.
Speaker 3: Beatle.
Speaker 1: He looks like a juice, Like his head was shrunken by beetlejuice because his arms in his traps are so big.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that just doesn't seem comfortable. Can you sleep like that? Maybe that's why he died.
Speaker 3: He didn't. He didn't have a lot of sleep. Wow.
Speaker 2: There is a modified version of nicotine that has shown up in vapes.
Speaker 3: Is that how you say it?
Speaker 2: Sure shown up in vape pens, vape pens, vape cartridges, vapes. They started showing up about a year and a half ago. So some tobacco researchers are worried about this. They said, it's the latest in a long history of moves by the tobacco company to avoid regulation by modifying nicotine so they don't have to classify it as nicotine, they don't have to label it as nicotine. They can do all of these different things. For example, the Food and Drug Administration is looking into a new line of vaping products called spree Bar. It contains metatine metatine trademark for its synthetic nicotine analog matatine. Because of the narrow definition of actual nicotine in the law, you add one chemical structure to it, called a methyl group, that allows the company to market it as indistinguishable from traditional vaping products nicotine. But because it's not nicotine, they could do with it whatever they want to and they don't have to go through the same regulatory scrutiny that others do.
Speaker 3: Other companies are doing.
Speaker 2: The same similar nicotine analogs in vaping liquids and oral pouches.
Speaker 1: Midst of strange science and what is one of the big rules when you go to national parks? If you pack it in, you pack it out. Sometimes it's your output. You got to take it with you. Sure, right? And it just goes to say that you shouldn't leave anything behind, especially things like a Cheeto's bag. The US National Park has issued a warning about the environmental impact of these seemingly small acts like dropping a Cheetos bag, which I don't think is a small act if you're in a national park, Like what kind of a hole litter is in a national park? A bag of Cheetos?
Speaker 3: Are Cheeto's the thing?
Speaker 2: If you went on I went on a couple of hikes while I was gone, Cheetos was not my go to.
Speaker 1: No, no nuts, You should bring nuts, trail mix, that kind of thing.
Speaker 3: Forgot it.
Speaker 1: I like cats, shoes and peanuts and Eminem's.
Speaker 3: Eminem's not a nut. But I understand what you're saying.
Speaker 1: Oh, I need to tell you my altitude sickness story.
Speaker 3: Oh I can't wait for that one.
Speaker 1: I went on a hike in elevation at Mammot Oh yeah, and I almost died, Well not really, but it was touch and go there for a minute.
Speaker 3: I knew your husband had plans.
Speaker 1: I know it was brilliant.
Speaker 3: I love that plan.
Speaker 1: He came so close to winning that day.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh that's good. That's good. Yeah, writing that down.
Speaker 1: I'm definitely not hiking with you anyway. So the park has highlighted how you in minor littering can cause significant, lasting harm to wildlife and ecosystems. So they're urging you to be mindful of its waste, and they're world changing consequences because that Cheetos bag is no boy.
Speaker 2: No, I did notice we went hiking. We were in the Smoky Mountains. I guess that is a national park.
Speaker 3: So there were what do you call them receptacles.
Speaker 2: There's garbage cans at the trail head, basically, but there's nothing deep in the forest. They do not care who you are. They do not want anything out there, and those trails were spotless. Mami good, no litter at all.
Speaker 1: You know, you told me about the Salt and Pepper Shaker Museum. You told me about Dollywood, you told me about minor league baseball, but you haven't mentioned the National Park, which many people say is their favorite.
Speaker 2: It's the most I didn't know this, the most visited national park in the country. Yeah, I'm saying that I shouldn't say it like a question. It is the most visited national park in the country.
Speaker 1: Did you get out on the hiking trails, enjoy the nature you see? Did you feel the effects of nature on your soul?
Speaker 2: It's funny that there were there were times when my wife and I were it was just the two of us that were hiking, and I didn't take her to places where I would push her off a cliff or anything like.
Speaker 3: That, like your husband does, well, you like her, I do.
Speaker 2: She's fun There were you could go forty five minutes and not say.
Speaker 3: A word to each other. Sure, because we're just.
Speaker 2: Looking around, and we're looking around at the there's turkeys, and I'm certain we saw bears.
Speaker 1: I can't handle yap. And on the trails, first of all, i'm out of wind.
Speaker 3: That was it.
Speaker 2: The first one we did was two and a half, was three miles in and three miles out, and it was up the whole way. It was going up and inclined the entire way to the waterfall.
Speaker 1: And then the other thing is you're out of wind. And then also you're usually like in a single file line and maybe somebody's like three or four steps ahead of you, so anything you say, they don't say. So you're like, oh, that's a pretty tree, and I was like, what, that's a pretty tree?
Speaker 2: You know? Well, And this is the one that we were on was technical, I didn't want to say technical.
Speaker 3: It wasn't like it was.
Speaker 2: Rock climbing or anything, but it was very bumpy, a lot of tree roots and a lot of big rocks. So if you're standing too close to the person in front of you, you can't see what's coming up, and they'll they misstep and you're immediately going to fall on top of them. So we had to be spaced out a few feet fire you know, ten twelve feet whatever it was, so I could see what was coming and I was watching her walk away the whole time.
Speaker 1: And also if she fell, you didn't want her to crush you there.
Speaker 2: And then there was a time where you have to shit me down some rocks to get to one waterfall and she's like, you go first, so I have something to fall on.
Speaker 3: Oh that's very nice.
Speaker 2: Like I really thought she meant it. We were talking earlier about oh it's.
Speaker 1: Time to say thank you and to move on with.
Speaker 3: Our day, I feel like time flew.
Speaker 2: Work is good to come back to after a two week vacation, isn't it. It is great you've been listening to The Gary and Shannon Show. You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.