Speaker 1: Hello, everybody, Welcome to the Buckeye with your podcast. I'm Tony Gurdaman here as always with Tom or Tom.
Speaker 2: How's it going well, Tony, we're doing the show that I know people were in our YouTube comments clamoring for yesterday. But we shared a bunch of the information from this show, and actually a lot more than we're gonna be sharing on this show already with our members at Buckeye Insiders dot com. So if you think I wish I could get scrimmage updates from or practice updates from them faster or in more detailed formats, well, friends, I have great news for you. You can do that at Buckeye Insider's Talking and.
Speaker 1: We welcome you there. Got a vibrant, thriving community talking Ohio State football all hours of the day. If you're night oul, you can do it there. If you're a morning person, you can do it there. If you're just an afternoon lazy joe, you can do it right there as well. So we invite you over there. Would love to see you. And yeah, it's in terms of I guess scrimmage updates time. I don't want to like oversell, undersell whatever. I don't want to sell it improperly. They're not a ton of news coming out in terms of like big plays or this guy's you know, like all of this stuff that people like want to hear, like just tell me legend beiwa for three hundred yards and it's like, well, there's not necessarily that. I think one of the reasons is there's there's some banged up Buckeyes right now, and so they weren't at full full health at this point. Now I don't at this point, there's no reason to believe anybody is in danger. These are just the mid I mean mid camp alo campus now like over but like mid practice session, mid August type of you know what, we need this person to be healthy in the lead up to the game. We don't need them to be on the field right now. So I think much of this is precautionary, uh, just based on how things go. Like this is what they do.
Speaker 2: Right This is you've gone from not playing a lot of contact football since basically the spring game. You know, you're doing some stuff, but you're not in pads very much, and then you get a couple acclamation days and then boom, you're in pads and you're in pads about five or six days a week for several weeks in a row, and it's just kind of and it's they're trying to get you ready. They have this is not a year where they've got a little ramp up. You've got Texas week two. So it's got to be a physical camp. But that means sometimes guys get hurt. But I think more so guys get just banged up and just you know, sore, and sometimes you need to take a day and they you got guys. I think some guys who are taking a day and you know we've seen for example with like Austin Sireveld. Austin Sireveld had a few days off, uh, just sort of getting just making sure something was right about a week ago. He's back now. So that's you know, no concern there. And I think, to echo your point, I don't think this is I don't think there's any injuries that we've heard about that are oh boy, this is going to be a huge long term issue. It's just kind of this is what the middle of August looks like every year.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And the reason I say and we say that is because when you hear somebody's not practicing it's like oh no, oh, no, oh no, and it's like, calm down. The number of players who haven't practiced that you've never heard about and never knew about is miles long. So really no reason they get concerned. We will talk with Ryan Day on Monday, which I guess at this would be tomorrow. He doesn't normally like talking about injuries, and unless there's maybe something season ending that he would go into. But I don't expect him to say anything of note because there may not be anything of note. One thing I'm interested time to see if he does mention is something that we were told and that looks like Ian Moore is your starting left tackle. Looks like he has won the job based on you know, we've only seen him really being the number one left tackle for most of camp, and he's repped and split time with Austin Tierrivale at times and just making sure that they're making the right decision. Did see Ian Moore right tackle like once or twice in those first three practices, But at this point it looks like Ian Moore the way they're talking is the number one he is your starting left tackle, which I am going to say, Austin Sierravaldi is your starting right guard, and just eliminate all of the Philip Daniels conjecture, because I know the Buckeye fans will talk about and Buckeye media will talk about the Philip Daniels thing. The people who aren't talking about anything to do with Philip Daniels or Phillip Daniels moving here, moving there are the coaches. I mean, that's not something really. Ryan Day mentions it once a camp, like before camp, and then never again and nothing ever comes of it. So it seems to me that it's going to be Ian Moore and then Austin Seerveld, and I'm I'm wondering if we'll hear that tomorrow.
Speaker 2: My assumption is that that will be announced officially on Monday during that Ryan Day press conference. We are planning to stream that. The official time is eleven forty five. There is always a brackets ish at the end of any kind of press conference following practice kind of time, but you can look for that at YouTube dot com, slash at Buckeye Insiders. You can also find us on Twitch if you were a Twitch person. We were at Buckeye Insiders there as well. We'll be streaming that there. I've done a terrible job promoting that, but we will. We will be streaming some of the ust off there or if you prefer twitch to YouTube, there you go. You can bite us there. So yeah, I think at this point we came out of spring thinking this is probably where this was going to end up. With Ian Moore at left tackle and Austin Seerveld at right guard. That was certainly the most likely the uh, you know, not the majority, but the plurality solution here was that it was going to be that line up, and you kind of went through all a fall camp and that seemed like the thing. It was the thing they showed on day one. It was the thing they showed on day three. They hit something Elton day two, but it felt like that was a thing that you saw earliest. Most often, even just the little clips from practice that they will put out, you always see it's always, oh look there's even more at left tackle with ones. Oh look there's Austin Seerfeld. I don't know where he is. He's somewhere of the interior of the line again with the ones, so it could be literally anywhere. I don't know. It just feels like everything we're seeing, everything we're hearing behind the scenes, is that this is where things are trending. And then you know, we were told Saturday after the scrimmage, see that is almost certainly where this is where this is going to end up. So you know, again I'm expecting an official answer on that on Monday.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and when we say this is what we're told, things can't change, I would throw that out there because that that does happen. But at this point, that's what it looks like. I will also say from this scrimmage to the from from the first scrimmage eight days ago to this scrimmage on Saturday, slow start to this this past scrimmage offensively and defensively, I guess, but then the defense kind of picked it up and finished better than the defense did the previous week. And the first scrimmage was a rough outing for the Ohio State defense. I think it's it's good that things are looking a little bit more muddled for the entire scrimmage and you know, no no side looks better than the other. That's I think maybe the ideal for the coaches, where now you're just gonna get into the granular and do all of the grading on all of the players and see how things graded out. If there's no clear winner, then maybe the team wins clearly, that sort of thing. But defense stepping up after being not embarrassed, but like Peyton Pierce had to pull his team aside and in the days after that first scrimmage and be like, this is not the standard of the Ohio State defense. And the thing is, like, he's the only other linebacker that has like more than one season of playing time on this team other than him, is like Garrett Stover who had one snap and a couple of special teams plays outside of that, And you can do the same some similar things all throughout the defense. Like there's not a ton of Ohio State experience, and so yeah, re reclaiming that state is going to be big for them. Like it's it's good that the offense is good, but it's I think this is also good news that the defense maybe catching up a little finally.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and this is the dance that every school is doing this time of year. I talked to someone who I know who knows some folks close to the Texas program and was just sort of getting a little bit of intel on where things stand. There and shared a bunch of that on on the Insiders board on Sunday. But they're kind of in the different spot where the offense is just getting absolutely mollywomped by the defense, which again that's not unusual this time of year, and Texas is supposed to have a good defense, so it's very easy to say, well, that just means they have a good defense. But at the same time, then are you concerned about the offense? And for Ohio State, the offense had a great, great first scrimmage and it's like, well, okay, how concerned should you be about the defense? It feels like it kind of no much like, you know, Texas is going to have a good defense, because Texas gonna have a good defense this year, It's gonna have a good offense. Like you just look around the field and you look at the pieces they have and the players they have and the coaching they have, and you go, yeah, I was gonna have a good offense this year. So getting absolutely you know, I don't want to say getting smoked, but getting getting you know, having having them get the better of you in scrimmage one is not necessarily the end of the world for the defense. But then then coming back and having a better second scrimmage, or at least it was, you know, a much more even kind of thing. That's that is good news for the defense. And the offense was missing some guys. They had, you know, some guys who are not you know, nothing again, nothing to be worried about, but they were missing some guys. But it does feel like that's you were you were probably hoping that to hear. Okay, the defense had a better day in scrimmage number two, And it sounds like the defense had a better day in scrimmage number two.
Speaker 1: One of the other things coming out of the scrimmage, and I think this is one of the products by products of the whole length of camp and camp now being over and they move into the sort of game prep situation. They've been staying together in hotel, they've been practicing against each other. They have finally reached a point where the coaches are like, the team is just ready to hit somebody else. Things have gotten chippy, and so you've got all this pent up, like you want to go play somebody else, and you've there's such a hyper focus on all of the details, all of the standards and all of this, and sometimes things just you know, they snap a little or you just it is what it is. It's a highly competitive, violent type of situation. And so yeah, I think they've officially reached that point where one they need to maybe get away from each other a little bit, go back to your apartments, your condos, and you know that sort of thing. But you know, based on everything we're here, like this is a I don't want to say time for a break, no, but this is not a t for also for the the end of camp where it's just you're done with each other for a little bit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think if you went back through quotes from about this point in fall camp, you'd have almost verbatim, we're ready to hit someone a different color jersey in virtually every single year going back. I mean, I've been around the team for twenty six years on and off, and I can remember even when I was a student at Ohio State them talking about, yeah, we're ready to hit someone in different color jersey, Like it's just that's what it is this time of year. So that's not unusual. But I think this this camp go back to some of our shows Week one, when we were in there and we were talking about the fact that it was a little more physical you than you would expect, and I think that's probably a combination of coming off of the last season ending in a disappointing way, a lot of guys who are new and trying to earn spots, and there's not a lot of complacency, and so you know, it's been I think a physical camp on the whole. And you know, it's also it's been hot for ast couple of weeks and then it's been raining and they've been inside, and it's then they've been raining it and they've been outside, and it just like this is the point of camp where you are you are a little bit tired of being around other people. And we were at hotel check and day what two weeks ago, on Monday, I think or Tuesday whenever it was. They are now checking out of the hotel, the camp portion, hotel portion that's done. Classes start on Wednesdays and then practices move till the you know, the evening instead of these sort of late morning practices. So then it gets like you can sort of see the light at the end of the tunnel that Okay, this is not practice is not going to go on. You know, camp is not going to go on forever. There really is a game where you will get to hit someone wearing a different color jersey, even though I guess Ball State kind of wears the same color jerseys, but you know what I mean, different different helmets. That's important to get to hit some someone wearing different helmets. Just don't hit them in the helmet or you might get ejected.
Speaker 1: Just different people, Because I say, I believe it would just be tiresome for like a James Smith or and Edric Houston to be hitting Luke Montgomery or Austin Serveld all day long, and it's like, I'm tired of this. I'm looking for something new. I want something new, and soon they will have something new. But even changing the time of day that you do in a practice is it maybe helps some as well. So I think it's just some things that we wanted to talk about. Like I said, we've got more over at buckeysiders dot com on a message board, got a couple of threads there actually about stuff going on Saturday and beyond. And as Tom said, we will be talking with Ryan Day on Monday. You can watch that live on YouTube at YouTube dot com slash at Buckeye Insiders. If you're watching this right now, hit the thumbs up, subscribe to the channel, hit the bell to be notified so you'll be well. We'll notify you when we go live on Monday. You don't even have to set to your alarm. We'll do it for you. That's the kind of people we are. And fire start writing interview. Always appreciate it on the audio side. But yes, come find us over at Buckeye Insiders dot com. You you would have had this information yesterday and you'd have more information there you go. We invite you over there. Thank you, opportunity. He's trying. We'll talk to you about thank you.
Speaker 2: This time. What about West? You through away?
Speaker 1: Then? No one tell me?
Speaker 2: I wish you'd never meant nothing to me.
Speaker 1: Where where my father?
Speaker 2: If you can tell me, that's the morn's all right.
Speaker 1: We can steal current les