Speaker 1: This podcast is based on information sourced primarily from police and media reports, but certain names and other identifying details may have been changed or altered for privacy and security reasons. While the events in cases discussed are based on real investigations, some aspects may be simplified for time and for narrative purposes. Voice actors have been used to read from statements or documents. All information presented is intended solely to inform and raise awareness. Hosts may discuss theories regarding the cases examined in this podcast, but such discussions are not intended to and should not be considered by the listener to be legal conclusions. All persons discussed are considered innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. Listener discretion is advised.
Speaker 2: This is Chief Anna Lally. Welcome to Somebody Knows Something, a podcast from the Elgin Police Department's Cold Case Unit. In this podcast, we will shed new light on cold cases in the city of Elgin by sharing untold details and by encouraging anyone with information to come forward. You will come along with real cold case detectives as they investigate active cold cases in real time and seek justice for the victims and closure for their families. We believe that the Elgin Police Department and our community can work together to bring closure to cold cases because we know that in these cases, somebody knows something.
Speaker 3: Hello, and welcome to Somebody Knows Something. The Elgin Police Department Cold Case Podcast. My name is Detective Andrew Houghton, I'm Detective.
Speaker 4: Chris Hall, and I'm Detective BETHS Derek Err.
Speaker 5: On our last episode, we walked our listeners through our family tree project and we discussed that we needed specific DNA for Wayteria's family, called mt DNA. We also appealed to our listeners to consider providing DNA to law enforcement to help with the enormous backlog of unidentified people and name us and to help solve cold cases.
Speaker 3: We ended our last episode by telling our listeners we had finally located some extended family for Wayteria who agreed to assist us with this case and agreed to provide to the DNA that we need for Wyteria's investigation. For this episode, Beth is joining us as we work further on the case and travel to Tennessee to collect that DNA. But before we hit the road, let's talk a little bit about the last time Elgin Police worked on this case back in twenty fourteen, and how that connects back to the Wayteria's home state of Tennessee.
Speaker 5: As our listeners know, Wyteria had a lot of ties to Tennessee. She was born and raised there, had her first child there, and as we recently learned, actually lived there briefly in nineteen seventy six. With the nearly four month time window we have, she could be in Illinois or Tennessee or other neighboring states. So when we do our name as search for her, we plan to include Tennessee and neighboring states in our search. Plus, after visiting the Joliet Motor Hotel, we know that some of the tenants at that property also went to another hotel that the Zema family owned in Texas, So we now need to consider Texas and other states between Illinois and Texas as well.
Speaker 4: Yes, we do, and coincidentally, when we were doing our family tree research, we learned that Whitteria did have some extended family in Texas. We even spoke to some of them, but they were on her paternal side, so they didn't meet the mt DNA requirements that we have, but because we know that she had family connections in Texas, that area might be another viable option for her.
Speaker 3: That's true, so we obviously are going to consider Texas now for a few reasons. When we filtered name US in search to include Illinois and the states that border US plus Texas and Tennessee, we discovered nearly three hundred potential sets of unidentified remains could be an option for our case. And thanks to Beth, as Chris said, we recently learned that Whitteria also was living in Tennessee in nineteen seventy six, but as we read the case file, we also learned that the police did some additional digging there back in twenty fourteen.
Speaker 4: Back in twenty fourteen, the Elgin Police Department was validating Whititia's entry into leeds to assure that she was still listed as missing. Leads validations are something that we conduct annually to ensure that people in the system are updated with new information, were removed when needed, and so that we make sure that the entry still exists. As you said earlier in the season, Whiteityria's original leads entry had an error which wasn't discovered for months, so she actually wasn't listed in the system for nearly a year.
Speaker 3: When Elgin conducted our annual review for her case in twenty fourteen, officers came across some activity related to a small estate affidavit that was filed in nineteen ninety seven with her name on it. Police learned that the affidavit involved her house on Hammond Avenue in Aurora, and so an officer began to look into that paperwork to determine if she had simply come home and just never been taken out of leads. Quite frankly, that's something that does happen. When we started this unit, we had several cases that Matt and I reviewed from the early two thousands that were listed as cold cases, but we were able to close several of them fairly quickly. We discovered that a simple typo in a name or an alias for a person meant that. In one case, for example, our missing person was actually arrested in Chicago a few days after that she was reported missing, so we were able to track her down and determined that she was no longer a missing person. She was simply never taken out of leads because her name was misspelled and she didn't have contact with the police again after that, it can really be something that trivial or simple. That's why annual validations and follow up is so important.
Speaker 5: Yes, and you guys also had another case involving the juvenile who had been listed as missing runaway as well, but that juvenile had returned home and the family just never notified the police. In that case, the missing juvenile stayed in leads for a number of years because he never had contact with law enforcement until you guys actually started looking into him again. So because in twenty fourteen, police were hoping that maybe why Teria had simply shown back up in the months or years after her disappearance as well, and that no one even bothered to notify the police. However, in order to investigate that possibility, they had to do some digging.
Speaker 4: The Elgin Police reached out to the King County Clerk's office, but they didn't have a record of who filed the court paperwork related to the nineteen ninety seven Affidavid, so police turned to the attorney on record for the case. Unfortunately, that paperwork was another debt on police learning that the court proceedings related to the Affidavid were from twenty thirteen, and that the activity was simply Wriitteria's name being removed from the deed on the family home in Aurora after her husband Wayman passed away on August fifteenth of that year.
Speaker 5: We should also add that the twenty fourteen Elgin Police Department report also revealed that Weyman moved back to Tennessee later in life, so both he and Waityia still had pretty strong ties to that area and there still is some extended family in Tennessee for them both to this day.
Speaker 3: During that validation process back in twenty fourteen, police also called and spoke with a family member about the deed and about Whitteria. The family member confirmed the police that Wayteria was in fact still missing, but this family member also told Pally something new. According to that family member, in the years after Whitia's disappearance, Weyman reportedly told his children that Whiteria had simply gone back to Tennessee. When we learned that, it made us question why Wyman would say that.
Speaker 4: We came to four potential conclusions for that statement. One, Weyman was simply protecting his children and concocting a story for them and the rest of the family, so that they thought Whiteeria was okay, even though he actually had no idea where she was. Two Wyman knew that Whititiia went back to Tennessee in nineteen seventy six, and that was what he was referencing. Three Whititia actually went back to Tennessee or four Wayman knew she didn't go back to Tennessee, but told people that anyway for some other reason.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and we have to say that it certainly is possible that he was correct. Maybe she did move back to Tennessee in nineteen eighty two or nineteen eighty three. But regardless, for the reason of his alleged statement to family, Tennessee becomes that much more in play when it comes to unidentified remains, and we feel that any state between Illinois and Tennessee is also an option. So again, that's why we want to take a regional approach to this case rather than a local or statewide approach when it comes to unidentified human remains. For Whyteria's investigation, we.
Speaker 5: Should add that in twenty fourteen, police didn't quit once they talked to family and reviewed information about the affidavit with Wayteria's name on it. Elgiin Police also contacted the chief medical Examiner for the state of Tennessee and determined that no death certificate was issued in Witeria's name in that state, and we know that there isn't one here in Illinois. Police also reached out to the FBI in Tennessee to search for any records involving Wlyteria, but came up empty handed. Again, there were no contacts in Tennessee at all, and the FBI was unable to locate any information about Waitteria.
Speaker 4: Unfortunately, that's where the twenty fourteen version of this investigation grinded to a halt. Yet again, name us did exist, but the problem was police needed something to compare to the hundreds and potentially thousands of unidentified and unclaimed remains, but in Wateria's case, they didn't have anything. Plus, police didn't know about or start using genetic genial to identify people for a few more years. However, we are now in twenty twenty six and we have access to newer technology, so we're hoping that familial dana might just be the key to finding Wateria Jones.
Speaker 5: As we alluded to the last episode, we finally have family members who are alive, meet the criteria we need and are available to meet with us for this case. So that is a huge development. Andrew, why don't you tell our listeners how we track down an extended family member and what actually happened recently in our investigation that is leading us to travel all the way to Tennessee.
Speaker 3: Sure. So, over the course of several months, I messaged numerous people through ancestry dot com, and the three of us basically started cold calling numbers for different people who we thought were potentially family members for Whyteria. At first, we made contact with a few promising family members, but as we spoke to them, we learned that they were either paternal relatives or researchers doing independent research on behalf of various families online. Then we got lucky. An extended paternal relative for Waitia returned to message that I left and spoke with me about our request. As you can imagine, this family member, who asked that we not use their name, initially thought our message might be a scam, but they checked us out, reviewed our website and confirm that we actually were who we said we were.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I think that again, having our website and information publicly available is a huge help. People can review our cases, see pictures and short bios of us, and confirm that we are legitimately who we say we are when we call our message them. I know that in many cases we've even sent text messages or online messages to try to track people down. A lot of times we will include our tip line, our email, and our website so they can review those before deciding to call back or text us.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and the website helps in another way too. When this family member called, I was off duty, but I recognized the Tennessee area code that popped up on my cell phone. I immediately answered and spoke with this caller from Tennessee who believed that they were potentially related to Whyteria. After going over their background, we were able to confirm that they were a maternal relative of her, so that was a huge step. This family member also told me that they had visited our website and looked at a picture that we have listed for White Tia. When they saw her, they said, oh my goodness, because a close relative of theirs looked so similar to Materia. It literally took their breath away.
Speaker 5: That's the power of pictures that is why we want to have these pictures of the victims and missing people we have listed in our case docket, and people actually see them, it makes an enormous difference. They become a real life person and not just statistic or a name on a page. Having that picture might have been what got this relative to call us back and ultimately agree to help us in the case for sure.
Speaker 4: And that relative told Andrew that they absolutely wanted to help in this case. They literally didn't even know why Tyri existed, they had never heard of her, but they wanted to help. And so we recently took a trip to Tennessee to meet that person who we found after months of research into Hyteria's extended family tree.
Speaker 6: All Right, we've just crossed into Tennessee over the Kentuctive Order here.
Speaker 7: In the car about eight hours and met this year with us as well.
Speaker 8: Yep, And we were heading down to meet with one of the extended family members that we were able to locate through our family tree. So we're hoping that this person will be able to give us at least one sample of the DNA that we need.
Speaker 5: They're about twenty minutes or so, just north of Nashville.
Speaker 4: Just outside the city limits.
Speaker 8: So.
Speaker 7: Will be there momentarily.
Speaker 6: Just finished up with the family members of Criteria, should say the extended family members of myeteria.
Speaker 7: They were extremely gracious and very helpful.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it did not want to record for the podcast, which, as we've said the past, is somewhat common sometimes.
Speaker 7: In these cases. We thought we were meeting with just one person because that's what.
Speaker 8: We've been coordinating with, but they were able to reach out to another family member from the air here and that person also came to meet with us. So we now have two options of our DNA.
Speaker 7: So that's really helpful.
Speaker 8: That's what we were needing in the end, So we thought we were getting one today and we got two, so that's really great.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I would say that this current step for this case is essential. So this is a major file marker for Criteria's case. So happy with the results.
Speaker 4: We're very grateful to them for being able to help us out. And as we talked to them, they said obviously they didn't know her, but they said in the end, it's family and they want to do whatever they tend to help out. I'm sorry to help give some closure possibly to this case.
Speaker 7: Yeah, we sat and talked for fairly extended time just about the case.
Speaker 8: They wanted to know a little bit more about her and the investigation and kind of what happened, and you know, kind of gives you a little bit of faith in humanity again when you have somebody that says, I never knew this person even exists, but because they're family, I want to do what's right for them, and so we're gonna we are going to meet with you. We are going to give you this DNA because we want her to be at rest. Is kind of what they said, you know, she deserves to be at peace if this can help, and we're obviously hoping it will. But it's just really nice to have, you know, people that come out that have never even met her or knew she existed, and they want to know about her and they want to want to help her and her family.
Speaker 4: She can't trust us, right, we don't know that, they don't know y, So it was nice.
Speaker 7: For them to be able to meet with us and lesson.
Speaker 8: Yeah, so we will take our DNA back today and start working on getting it uploaded in the name us.
Speaker 7: I can see if this moves forward for us. We're really hopeful that.
Speaker 8: This is going to be kind of the biggest step this case has had in the last forty plus years. YEP.
Speaker 5: I just have to say again that the fact that these family members helped us, even though they had never met or even knew Whyteria existed, is very moving. They wanted to help because they believed that it was the right thing to do for Wateria, and as Beth hat said, they were open enough to trust us as well. I think that one big part of us doing this podcast is to try to continue to build that trust with the community and to signal to people that we are here to help. We want to solve these cases, not just for stats or numbers to clear out a case, but because it's the right thing to do, and because Wateryia deserves that. She deserves a thorough look at her case, and she deserves to have someone take the time to really search and do the work to try to bring her home.
Speaker 4: We also hope that as we've gone through Wayteria's story, that this case inspires other people to consider working with law enforcement by sharing cases like Wateria's and by joining forces with groups like Jedmatch, who Andrew and Chris mentioned in our last episode when more people who get involved in highlight cases like these on social media, the better, because there are so many cases of missing people, especially women and children, who neither voice is heard. Putting cases like Wateria's in the limelight can help our case, but it can also potentially help other cases by generating community interest and by educating people on steps that they can take to help us solve cold cases.
Speaker 3: With our DNA finally collected, we are now waiting for the next steps in this case, but we feel that we are much further along than when we started this investigation. We can now confidently say we were updating Waiitia's case from nineteen eighty two all the way to twenty twenty six.
Speaker 4: We will continue to review potential leads in this case, and we again ask that anyone in the public with information contact us. I think that we all feel that we have made some big strikes in this case, but Waitia's story still isn't over.
Speaker 5: Next episode, we will wrap up season three by revisiting all of our theories and by recapping the entire season of this investigation. We will also be uploading the familial DNA as we collected again the next chapter of this case. We are hopeful that the updates we have made, especially when it comes to DNA, will help us bring Maiteria home, but we still need your help, so please, as we've stated before, contact us with any information that you have about Wateria or her case. You could have the missing piece of information that we need to solve this case, because we know that in this case, just like all of our other cases, somebody knows something.
Speaker 2: If you or anyone you know has information about this case or any other cold case in Elgin, please contact the Elgin Police Department Cold Case email at cold Case tips at elginil dot gov or the cold case tip line at eight four seven two eight nine cold. You can also review cold case information on the Elgin Police Department's cold case page at www dot elgincoldcases dot com, where every cold case, homicide, and missing person's case is listed with photographs and information about each case