Speaker 1: You are now listening to the Someone's Favorite Productions podcast network.
Speaker 2: Hello there, and welcome back to the Disconnected. I am here with a label I've been trying to get for quite a long time. Solloscope Labs. Thank you for coming on with me today. Of course, thanks for having us since we got two of you. Can you introduce yourselves and your role at the company.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm Rachel Zern. I deal with all the DVD and Blu Ray aspects, and I work with Tom over here.
Speaker 3: I'm Tom Slanek. I work with Rachel for the shiny discs stuff. I also do the other aspects of home entertainment, which is digital download rental, licensing for streaming services, licensing for linear TV, a little bit international. Everybody wears multiple hats around here, so that's kind of kind of what we do.
Speaker 2: And one thing I was going to bring up later, but you kind of segued perfectly into its whole jump into it. Our Solloscope seems to do with a lot of educational opportunities. Is that a big part of what you guys do?
Speaker 1: Still, Yeah, that's it's not really our department, but yeah, we work with a lot of universities to have screenings there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, the easiest way for a college or university to access our films is via one of the major services like Canopy is a big one, Alexander Street, you know, info Base, We most of our catalog is available across multiple educational streaming services. And even in the public library space is people like Hoopla. Sorry, they're they're great resources too. And again, if your local public library has access to Hoopla, people should take full advantage of that. And again you'll see not only our stuff with a bunch of other great stuff too.
Speaker 2: That's a good shout out. Not a lot of people take advantage of the library system right now, and not only is it robust, but it also makes them get more funding when their stuff is actually used. So I would say check that out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, again getting back to the library question, I mean, people like Midwest Tape, Baker and Taylor. They've been great partners for us on the physical media side because they actually have dedicated staffs that actually talk to buyers and curators at the local library level and even like the larger library systems, So people forget that even though Blockbuster's gone away and Hollywood Video has gone away, and family video has gone away. Any regional business is basically all done. You have a great video store, probably in your own hometown, and that's your public library and you can get it for free with your library card. And again I'm happy to work with those distributors, as I know Rachel is too, because they do job making people aware of more stuff and it's great for the consumer because they get it at a you know, low to no cost basically.
Speaker 2: And since we're bringing it up, this has very little to do with a philloscope. So pardon me for just a second, but if you are in the middle of nowhere, don't have access to something great like this. Reminder two in the US, especially that Scarecrow Video has every single Soilloscope title and they rent nationwide as well for fairly cheap. That's true.
Speaker 3: Mark's a longtime friend of Oscope and again happy to support them as they've been super supportive of us since basically day one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, speaking of day one, can you tell us about the history behind Oscope because it has been an interesting ride that includes the Beastie Boys.
Speaker 1: Yes, started with MCA of the Beastie Boys Adam the Auk back in two thousand and seven. Two thousand and eight. He was really passionate about film, so he wanted to start a production slash distribution. Personally, I was at south By Southwest. I was working the film portion of it. And this was two thousand and eight, I guess, and I saw him come up, and I'm a huge Bucy Boys fan. That's how I got into how I got into this. And I saw him come up and he was about to watch one of the films which we which a Soloscope ended up buying. It was a Bigfoot, not your typical big foot, not your typical big but but I chatted with him afterwards, not knowing that two years later I would start working for them.
Speaker 2: Wow, that's awesome. So you've been there, Gosh, it's almost fourteen years, Tom. How long have you been there?
Speaker 3: Rachel and I started basically around the same time. I started as a like DVD sales guy and January twenty ten, and I think, did you come.
Speaker 1: On board that I was an intern in twenty ten?
Speaker 3: Okay, so yeah, and I know that we hired you shortly after your internship, but I assumed that we came.
Speaker 1: Here officially to the eleven right.
Speaker 2: Yes, I have a friend that lives in Brooklyn, and probably once every couple of months, he's sends me a picture of the front little doorstop of us Pelloscope. It says, you got to come try to get him on the show, and now you're finally here, so I get to fulfill this Finally.
Speaker 1: I'm glad that we finally responded to an email.
Speaker 3: It's funny because we're usually really good at that. Unlike a lot of people in this business, we respond to emails. I'm not going to point fingers or name names.
Speaker 1: There's only about ten of us that work here, so it's a very small company, so communication should be should be strong.
Speaker 3: But internally well, yes, yes.
Speaker 2: I didn't feel ignored. I will say that I've had worse with the company being around for almost sixteen years now and everything that's happened with physical media during that time. I would love to hear how do you describe the catalog of ours solloscopes somebody else, because it's such an interesting and varied slate of films.
Speaker 3: Yes, I mean in the broadest sense, I tell people that a soloscope curates the best in American and international independent.
Speaker 2: Films.
Speaker 3: And whether that you like documentaries or you like narrative features. We've got something pretty much for everybody, whether they know it or not. There's a lot of discovery left meant to be had here.
Speaker 2: So i will say one of the things that I've enjoyed most about our solloscope you just brought up, and that is the documentaries. There are few boutiques that would be willing to invest in documentaries as much as a Solloscope has over the years, and there is never a shortage of interesting subject matter or good filmmakers or something that has come out, honestly, within just like the last six months, usually there's at least one or two that's always impressive, and that seems to be a hurdle that other boutiques have not taken on. Do you think there's a reason why or why Soloscope seems to find it important.
Speaker 3: I'm not sure why other people don't take as much advantage as they can. I think there's a lot of business reasons why they don't. When the streaming world kind of kicked in and Netflix realized that was a relatively inexpensive way to grab rights and have exclusivity, they did a lot to make a more traditional distributor, the full service distributor like we are that includes theatrical and Homemanner came in and libraries and educational and everything else. Makes a lot more challenging for us to have access to that material song for a while of air a good seven eight years, the big streamers are eating up all the high profile titles that maybe would see the light of day if they were in a But since the business kind of cratered a little bit and some there were some changes, you know, outside of their company and how things worked in the way that they approached original material things that pendulum has kind of swung back a little bit to people like us, where we'll actually treat a film and the subject matter or the subject being discussed as you know, being you know, is meaningful and important and deserving of a platform that's not just something that you're going to scroll past.
Speaker 2: On a on a TV screen. That makes a lot of sense to me. We probably should get into the thing that has been most compelling to me over the years, and that is the fact that I'm holding the four most recent titles that I've received in the mail from Ocilloscope, including one really interesting one. But the reason I have them is because I've been a member of the circle of trust for years. Now, can you give some of the details behind what the circle of trust is?
Speaker 1: Yes, So the circle of Trust is it's a year long subscription and I believe you get whatever release, whatever we release and the that year, and usually it's about twelve I think it's usually twelve to fifteen DVDs or Blue rays.
Speaker 2: It's usually ten titles. It's not based on the year, it's the next ten gotcha.
Speaker 1: Yeah, as fourteen years, but still a really great deal for ten titles at one hundred and forty dollars and it's either DVD or Blu Ray. So the fact that Blu Ray is the same price, it's great, Such a good deal.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And again it speaks to the culture of the company. When Adam founded the company, he wanted the Solloscope to kind of be seen as an indie label, not just an indie film distribut but also like a boutique brand because he was obviously a music guy, a record guy. He collected stuff and he wants people to have that kind of you know, tangible piece of whatever art that they're consuming. And the idea of Circle of Trust is that he wanted to kind of number one, kind of smooth out the billing when the company is just getting started and you have X amount of subscribers paying x amount of dollars will up front. That's how people like subpop and you know, touch and go and merge, you know, kind of smooth out their billing a little bit. But it also it's good for the consumer because they get a little bit cheaper and they know that it's they're going to have it before a store has it.
Speaker 2: So be on that. You also get fifty percent off of everything in the catalog for the entire time that you remember. Yes, and that's something I took advantage of when I first came on to get the big ones that I wanted that had already been released. But I've seen a couple of people always laugh because our Soloscope has a couple really trusty sales every year Black Friday for twenty or probably the most well known ones. But we're only twenty four hour sales, and so after that your s ol unless you're.
Speaker 1: A member exactly. Yes.
Speaker 2: One big thing too, though, is being a member you get access to things like this documentary God in Country that just came, not something that any of us had to pay for, It just came. We got an email saying, hey, we're just doing this to be nice. In the past two years, I got a shirt, really nice long sleeve shirt for free I got for the very first time from any boutique label. For anybody listening, we would love to get this lube from a from a company. Yes, all of these wonderful you know things have come. We've gotten stickers, We've got all kinds of stuff. Where where is that headspace come from? What? What do you what are you doing? Because that that's expensive.
Speaker 3: Well, since we again, like I said, we are a full service distributor. Part of the marketing of a film, you don't have to kind of reach out out to the exhibitors the arthouses that are showing these films. And we learned a lesson relatively early on. Not that early, I guess, but it was like when did Hell come out?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: Yeah, when we did the Yeah, we.
Speaker 3: Acquired a film called hal about the director Hal Ashby, who was a famous stoner and one of the choch key that we would make that record labels used to make to spiff out to record stores or whatever. We actually made some branded hal Ashby gummies to give to some of the exhibitors as a kind of like, hey, you know, would you play our movie and here's some gummies for you, like some CBB gummies, And there were so much demand for those. We actually sold more of those than we did at the disc and they thought was, well, you know this is great. Maybe what other things that are can we multipurpose? Obviously it's a promotional item, but people like it is utilitarian enough, you know, someone would actually want to buy it. So yeah, again, it's nothing serves only one purpose around here.
Speaker 2: I think I think if I remember right, I got rolling papers one time, lots of rolling papers.
Speaker 1: Yeah. We have a Soila soap, so yeah we have I think we have candles. Oh maybe not maybe not yet.
Speaker 3: Maybe.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: One thing that I should bring up celluloid. The game seems to be a big thing that Acilloscope is pushing. Oh look at that. I didn't even know you had it in your hand.
Speaker 3: Amazing.
Speaker 1: It's really great if you want to open that up. But yeah, it's like a film trivia game and you kind of you can kind of create your own rules. There's like suggested rules of how to play, but a lot of it is just like Movie Association or Film Association there's also TV nice do you want to just take you do that? But like the artwork on it is really nice. It's oh yeah, but just yeah, so like great artwork and just a lot of I don't know, a lot of different ways that you can decide how to play it. But it's a it's a fun film game. Film trivia games.
Speaker 3: You know, being part of the culture is something that Adam always wanted us to be and you know, for the longest time, you know, things kind of hit a bump with covid a Soloscope would host trivia nights for the local New York film community and the turnout was always great. Everybody would have a lot of fun, got real competitive with teams and stuff. It was always fun to try to come up with questions to stump the other panelists.
Speaker 1: It was known as one of the hardest trivia film trivia games in the city.
Speaker 3: And that's how we ended up here, yes with cellularly with an idea of just trying to make something for home.
Speaker 2: Yep, and anybody that has been deep in film trivia. No, that's that's a true bragging point to be able to be the most difficult one.
Speaker 1: The questions were very specific.
Speaker 2: Well, to answer those, you got to be rooted in cinema. So, Rachel, what's your history of film? I mean, you were at south By Southwest. What got you there?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Well, actually, so I went to college in Austin, and so I was studying advertising, but then working at south By Southwest, I was working the film part. I was a theater manager. So I saw all these awesome small films and I met all a bunch of directors and filmmakers, and it was really cool just to be a part of that scene. And so I became part of the film community in Austin. And then when Adam made a soloscope, I was like, oh, this is perfect. Let me just see if I get an internship. And that's how I got here.
Speaker 2: Very nice. I mean, that's a I'm sure a very related journey for me, most people as well that have gotten into this.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And then my brother also introduced me to a lot of obscure films when I was younger, just forced me to watch stuff which I think really shaped who I am.
Speaker 2: Now, what about you, Tom, how'd you get here?
Speaker 3: A long strange trip? Really? It is quite long, to be expected, Like Rachel, I studied film a little bit in college. My approach was less on the production side, more about criticism, using film as a way to kind of analyze the life experience. And you know how a film is almost analogous to a novel at times. So I would write about films and you know, took different film courses, ended up working straight jobs for a couple of years out of college, ended up working in the music business for quite some time, and ended up at a Soloscope you know, pretty much by happenstance. The company was co founded by David Fenkel, who went to his wife went to summer camp with one of the artist manager's wives that I was working with. So again this is just getting.
Speaker 1: I didn't even know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, looking for a DVD sales guy, and they needed somebody who was, you know, knowledgeable and aggressive and kind of understood the culture and what they were doing.
Speaker 3: And somehow they managed to pick me. Fenkel you know, brought me in and we had a good conversation. We kind of hit it off, and called me the next day he said, you want to come in and meet Adam. I'm like, sure, why not? So I came in the city, talked to Adam, and you know, he and I kind of hit it off. We had some common people. You know, are some people in common because obviously, you know, he had a long history in the recording business. You know, I had a long history record labels, so there was some crossover at times, but I never actually worked directly with him on the music side. But we also we know people both on the artist management side and the label side that know each other. So again it's all very it's all very incestuous.
Speaker 2: Seems like the industry.
Speaker 1: Yeah, as you may know, David Finkel went off to start a twenty four.
Speaker 2: What Yeah, that's uh. That was one of the things that I was going to bring up is some of the some of the titles could could easily fit under that brand as well. But I'm really excited about a Soloscope's catalog because there's still some titles that you know, nowadays you would kind of just assume would be a twenty four films, but something like Wendy and Lucy, which you happen to have the poster above your head there.
Speaker 1: I actually have the DVD right here that.
Speaker 2: Was not blanned by the way, that was perfect. There. There's stuff like that, or we need to talk about Kevin that are these massive titles and somehow a Soloscope which doesn't get like a lot of mainstream attention. How have you guys been able to get some of these films? Like just bluntly, I guess that's the question. I'm sure the answer is knowing the right person at the festival. But there's some great pedigree in the catalog. Is the best way I want to say that.
Speaker 3: Well, the fact that we've been around for as long as we have and we've released the films that we've been able to release and either monetize them or make the public aware of them, to the point where the filmmakers and the producers realized that, you know, we're a real company and we really put our best forward and do the right thing for the films kind of has been speaking for itself, you know, in the early days with something like Wendy and Lucy. I mean, obviously, you know it's Kelly's I think her third film that she ever made, Kelly Records third film. And the fact that you know Adam was who he was is who he is as a spectral being made a big difference. You know, in the early days for a lot of access for some of the titles that a brand new company might not have the ability to get kind of grow from there.
Speaker 2: Really, Yeah, I want to make a couple of pointed questions and if they're too specific, let me know. But some of the titles have gotten very prolific, Like a lot of people know these so well. What do you think is the most distributed title from our solo scope? Is that something that is just known around the company like this has been the most popular title.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think we would say Ketty, which the posters up here as well, right there. I don't know if you're familiar with it, but it's a documentary about Turkish street cats. It's surprisingly interesting and there's so much emotion in it that you would you wouldn't expect. But that's definitely our one of our number one sellars.
Speaker 3: It's probably the most successful film that we've released.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is.
Speaker 3: Actually shortly after release, it was the third highest grossing foreign language documentary of all time. I mean number one was you know, Babies, because you know it's about babies and people like babies and numbers. Number two at the time was Kina. The Erner Herzec film was then vendors I forget, but it was like it was one of those ones that it grossed well because it was shot in three D and exhibited in three D, so the tickets were higher. I feel like we've probably sold more tickets. Uh, and more people have seen Kenny than have seen.
Speaker 2: Film especially now. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but Kendy had a really really long life, many many lives in that movie.
Speaker 1: I think love Which as well has also love which.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think that one just keeps going. People ask people, see memes about it, or just like see references to it, they watch it, and yeah.
Speaker 3: Embrace of the Serpent was a twenty seventeen ASCAR nominee for Best Foreign Language Film. That is I think our second highest grossing film of all time. If you haven't seen it, you should. If you like exotic adventures, it's for you. Beautifully shot, really really interesting story. Yeah, it's it's an evergreen for us too.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: The other big one I was going to bring up, Rare Exports, has gotten oh.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah great around this time and around Christmas time. Yeah, Rare Experts is a big seller.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: The more personal question, do you guys each have a favorite one?
Speaker 3: We were talking about that's like asking who your favorite child is.
Speaker 2: Well, nobody's going to see this, like twelve people probably, so don't worry about anybody else knowing you personally. What's the one that you look at and go, this is the one I enjoyed the most?
Speaker 3: Well? For me, it changes pretty much anytime you want to ask me, but I most consistent, most consistently, I probably say terribly happy. If I don't know if you've seen it's a Danish film. It is kind of like early David Lynch meets Coen Brothers in Denmark.
Speaker 1: It's very good. My favorite film I have. I like a lot of the documentaries, but most recently Clay Dream I was really enjoyed. And Art and Craft. Yeah, and also J myself.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what's my favorite doc? J myself?
Speaker 1: Probably Yeah, just creative old white guys. That's that's my Those are my favorite, other.
Speaker 2: Than The Circle of Trust. What is the best way for people to support a soloscope.
Speaker 3: Shop at a soilloscope dot net? Yeah, yeah, yeah, borrow movies from.
Speaker 1: Your library if you can, Yes, canopy.
Speaker 3: Canopy for sure. If you're a college student. Retailers inteligently tough, because you know, we we've had you know, mixed successes with with some of the bigger chains. We're not in most of their change simply because they don't sell DVDs anymore.
Speaker 1: We're on Amazon.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Amazon's Amazon's a thing, for sure. It's certainly easy to get there.
Speaker 1: We have an Etsy page that has prints like this.
Speaker 2: I don't think I realized that we.
Speaker 1: Have some love which stuff.
Speaker 3: Some of our music docs are on band camp, so you can, you know, buy your discs there if you want, also buy some more vinyl.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, we have a lot of vinyl, A lot, I mean tons of stuff on the site. You've got the books. Yeah, one recently, Tangents just came out. I think that was last fall. Yeah, that was a big one. How is this possible that everything I bring up is within arms reach?
Speaker 3: Your conference room is also your stock world.
Speaker 2: I run a group through my channel as well, and when Tangents came out, this is one that a handful of people immediately like, Okay, I got to jump on this one. This is kind of an incredible choice. And it seems like with our Silloscope it's every time a title comes either through circle of trust or just happens to be announced as getting distributed. I have a group of people who are like Oh, this is kind of exactly made for me. How did they know I wanted this? And that's where I feel like a lot of companies are not curating as specifically as this, because like an Indigo Girls documentary is not going to come from Shout Factory or something. And I'm not trying to put them down or anything, it's just they're not going to care about something like that.
Speaker 1: It feels like we do have a lot of music documentaries, and I think that has to do with the BC Boys connection. But we're also we've been pretty successful at selling them putting it out, so we keep getting them well.
Speaker 2: And one of the big things it is a very specific tone to our telloscope that feels right at home in Brooklyn. How's that been being in the core of growth over the last sixteen years and through the home of culture for a lot of this.
Speaker 1: Well, we actually started in Manhattan. We were off Canal Street, so close to Chinatown in Tribeca. But that office was really cool because the recording studio was right across the hallway from us nice, so that was really neat. But we moved to Brooklyn in twenty sixteen, and it's cool. It's an old bike shop, but it's it's nice because we have a storefront this time, so people can actually see walk by and like see our brand. The we have a neon sign in front, and we have this old school wine and liquor sign that that's above us too.
Speaker 3: So basically every summer, a couple of times a week people think.
Speaker 1: That we're antique store, vintage store.
Speaker 3: Yes, you can go a couple of doors down because this is a giant sign from like the nineteen twenties. Yeah, it's really well the prohibition sign, neon sign that doesn't work anymore, but the building it's it's too expensive to fix and too expensive to take down, so it's there. So we get a lot of misdirected tourists.
Speaker 1: But we do have a couple of people come in that are actually as holoscope fans and are curious about, you know, our films and what we sell here.
Speaker 2: I hope to make the pilgrimage one day the near future. Anything that you can tease coming out, or things that you've announced as acquiring for digital maybe that hasn't been confirmed as coming on Blu.
Speaker 3: Ray, well pretty much everything that we least will be incredible, and at some point again we were going to geek out about the packaging and stuff, because this is also a big thing of Adams, is that this actual special wallet us again that's this is like a generation of that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so the one that you have only has four panels or yeah, yeah, I look at that.
Speaker 3: I'll show you we used to have that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, multiple, I got some of those over there too.
Speaker 1: Oh, I'm sure.
Speaker 3: But in the early days it was like we Adam worked with the printer to kind of create this special packaging. There's no no plastic in it other than the disc itself. The paper is eighty percent post consumer waste recycled. The printing was done at a printer that used only water and soy based inks and dies because the runoff is bad for the environmental All these things are part of the culture, part of the thought process here.
Speaker 1: And all the discs themselves kind of are reminiscent of records because they all look the same, and that's what Adam wanted. He just wanted it to all look like a record label type thing. And if you collect all of them back in the day, they would spell a so leoscope.
Speaker 3: The fine if you had all one hundreds to start on.
Speaker 1: Those are for the mega fans.
Speaker 2: Ye, well, and that's I guess that's one of the questions I was going to ask too, is how obviously we can't get into very specific numbers, but is is everything okay? Like, are sales going well? Do we still have a healthy number of subscribers because in all reality, like I work with a lot of these companies behind the scenes, and there are some companies that are worried, like if a couple of titles don't do well in a row, we might need to make some changes for the next couple after that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it's been pretty consistent.
Speaker 1: I mean it has, it has really been consistent.
Speaker 3: The numbers aren't, you know, earth shattering, but you know a little bit of a bump because people started to buy stuff again when they were housebound during COVID, But you know, previous to that, the erosion in the market for discs especially was just yeah, going down pretty really quickly. Yeah, it seems it feels like it's plateaued. Obviously, it kicked up a little bit during the pandemic and then kind of leveled off. We haven't gone down any further than the lowest point that we've been. We're not finding a new bottom, I guess is the nicest way to put it. And well, again, physical media is super important to us. You know. There was just a court ruling in California that says, as consumers, you're actually not allowed or you do not own your digital download. It's only a license. So if you actually physically want to own something that is yours kind of have to buy it on disc Yeah, and that's and we're just going to keep moving forward with that until until they tell us to stop. Yep.
Speaker 2: I was. I was so glad when that court ruling happened because, as most people know, with stuff like this, corporate's not gonna roll it out just for California. They're going to make it the same everywhere, So everybody will get some sort of disclaimer saying, hey, you don't own this, which is huge because there's a lot of people that will argue to other blue in their face, no I bought it on iTunes, No you didn't, Yeah, can you buy it? So yeah, lots of exciting stuff still coming in the future. Circle of trust. One thing that I didn't hit on with a circle of trust that I think is one of the more unique aspects to that I'd love people to hear is that you get a choice. Like every time there's a title coming, they'll say, hey, if you don't want this one, just email us and we can skip it. And usually for a subscription, you're kind of locked into, Hey, you're just investing in the future of the company. But no, you can literally choose, like, if this one is off putting to you, you don't have to get it. That's fine.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Surprisingly, we don't have like a huge number of circle of trust members, so we personally, you know, email everyone and we personally pack everything. Back in the day, in the early days, we had a lot of circle of trust and we would have packing parties or everyone would like everyone in the office would come together at the ping pong table and package everything. But yeah, so everything is very in house. We do it all very personally.
Speaker 3: It's all very bespoke.
Speaker 2: Well, and that's it's not a bad thing either. You can tell like you can the email comes literally to you. Somebody spent their time putting this in here. Your personal tracking numbers at the bottom. It's not just a you know, FedEx spit out this this email to you. It is something very specific and it feels like that and knowing that one of you guys may have packed the lube for me. Is It's just a great story.
Speaker 1: Shout Sarah's the one that sends you guys emails. She's great.
Speaker 2: Anything else we want to shout out before we call it a day.
Speaker 3: What's coming? It's in theaters now. Uh, German Swiss co production called The Universal Theory. Yes, it throws off like super heavy, hitchcocky and noir vibes. The soundtrack is amazing, which we actually have on LP if you want to check it out. It's a beautiful movie. It's fun, it's interesting. It's like a super smart hybrid of Oppenheimer and give me another metaphysical thriller.
Speaker 1: It's like parallel universes exactly. Yeah, yeah, multi verses yep. It's pretty interesting, super cool.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And also not to get confused with Universal Theory, but we also have Universal Language coming out.
Speaker 3: That's a festival favorite. It is Canada's official entry for the Foreign Language OSCAR this year. That comes in theaters in February. Currently, it's doing a couple of festival runs New York Film Festival premiere. I think is Monday, is that right?
Speaker 1: I think? Yeah, Monday?
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 3: So that's coming. We're doing a twentieth anniversary restoration and relaunch of the documentary called Big. If you remember the band Dandy Warhols, that drama around that film, it's you know, some people claim it's the greatest rock documentary of all time, and who am I to argue.
Speaker 1: Excited about We have highlight Killing Flies, which came out back in two thousand and six or two thousand and seven. We're re releasing that on dB and Blu Ray, and we have some extra features. But that's about this little diner in New York that has a cult following, very.
Speaker 3: Interesting stuff, the classic curmudgeonly New York. Yeah, but calling the chef is I think he would be angry if he was referred to as he's just a cook's Yeah, he flips pancakes.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Nice. If I know my audience, will I guarantee at least a few people in the comments are watching this and going to ask Will, is there any chance of Soloscope is going to ever go into UHD or four K? Is that ever a possibility?
Speaker 1: We've looked into it multiple times. We look into it like once a to see the prices of it. And right now it's completely out of our budget. Just does not make sense for the amount that we sell. You know, if like thousands of people are buying our discs, then maybe we can do it. You know, we need we need to sell more to make it make sense.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's not. It's not easy obviously to pay the licensing fee just to use the UHD monikers a lot, and then authoring all that is more expensive and everything it gets crazy.
Speaker 3: Is bad enough. Yeah, I've also come down a little bit on the actual manufacturing side. But the licensing of the format itself is is not cheap.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, DVD is pretty cheap, but also our packaging itself is pretty expensive. Yeah, so when you put four K on top of that, it gets very very like not worth it. We would have to sell our blue rays for like sixty dollars.
Speaker 2: Well, and that's that's always a hard thing to convey though, too, is when you're trying to do something right and do like recycled materials and all this, even though you're looking at it and saying, well, this is flimsier than the other thing. I collect, it's not because you can feel good about purchasing it. But the sad thing is sometimes that does cost a little more.
Speaker 1: Yes, I mean, and that's why we also make the amory just the plastic, basic plastic cases, because we know some people don't care about the packaging. And if they don't care about the packaging, yeah, just basic plastic cases works.
Speaker 3: More, you know, transportable. One of the downsides of the sell scope you know, paper packaging, carbor packaging, is that it can get shot one pretty easily. It's going from warehouse to distribution center, to retailer, back to a distribution center back to us. Things tend to get beat up a little bit. The plastic packages, as much as we do not like them, are a little bit sturdier.
Speaker 1: Sturdier and cheaper.
Speaker 3: Totally cheaper. Yeah, yeah, I mean, this is like putting a fifty cent to manufacture d into This is like taking a fifty piece and wrapping it in a five dollars bill.
Speaker 1: Yep, that's fine essentially what it Yeah not.
Speaker 2: No, that that totally checks out with everything I've seen behind the scenes. Yeah, that is about exactly what it costs. So yeah, check out oscilloscope stuff online. I'm gonna have all the links in the description below. I've been a happy circle of trust member for years. I've recommended it many many times on the show, but to hear it from your mouth is a big thing and just for a lot of people to put the faces to the name. Oscilloscope has been here for quite some time and I'm sure we'll be here for many more years.
Speaker 1: Yeah, hope, so hope, so well.
Speaker 3: Really appreciate you taking the time with us, and it's all the fans that are listening and watching out there. If you're not a Circle of Trust.
Speaker 1: Member, join why not join the circle?
Speaker 2: Sincerely. It's one hundred and forty dollars and that includes shipping for the next ten titles. That's prett the damn great. You should join.
Speaker 3: Plus you get all kinds of fun spam. I mean, if you're in a market where we're having an advanced screening of a movie, you might get a ticket for sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah this is true.
Speaker 3: I'm not saying that they don't or never happened.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you for the time, Rachel and Tom. Hope to be able to talk to you again someday.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much, Ryan, thank you.
Speaker 2: Hello.
Speaker 5: This is Matt and Emily from Scarecrow Video in Seattle, Washington. Did you know that we have the largest video collection in the world. We have over one hundred and forty six thousand titles and growing. That's over three times more than Netflix, Amazon Max, and Hulu combined.
Speaker 6: Plus a Scarecrow now offers rent by mail service throughout the US, so check out Scarecrow video dot org for details. You can catch Emily and I or Matt and I if that was going to be you saying that on our biweekly YouTube show, Viva Physical Media for video recommendations and so much more.
Speaker 2: See ya. Thank you for listening to The Disconnected podcast. There's one big thing that you could do to help the show, and that is to leave a rating and review on the podcast service of your choice. Thank you.
Speaker 5: Tell me.
Speaker 2: Hello.
Speaker 7: My name is Kevin Tutor and I'm one of the three hosts of almost major Film podcast. I sect in many major indie studios in the films they release. Every week, Myself, Charlie Nash, and Brighton Doyle discuss overlooked, forgotten or bona fide classic indie films via studio specific mini series. We've previously covered numerous films from artists and Entertainment, Lionsgate films and New Line Cinema titles. Including The Blair Witch Project, American Psycho, Dogville, But I'm a Cheerleader, Saw Recording for a Dream, and Ringmaster you know, the Jerry Springer film. Anyways, we have a fun time every week and we hope you will join us. Subscribe to almost major wherever you get your podcasts now proudly a part of the Someone's Favorite Productions Podcast Network. Thank you for listening. To hear more shows from the Someone's Favorite Productions Podcast Network. Please select the link in the description.