Speaker 1: Time for the nine first one forecasts.
Speaker 2: Got a cold Dana hansday going up to twenty three degrees uh sunny, though clowns coming in overnight down to nine degrees. We got snow tomorrow about ten am and about one to five inches go up to twenty eight degrees, snow tapering off late evening and giving us an overnight low of twenty and on Saturday, a partly cloudy day high thirty.
Speaker 3: Right now six time for traffic.
Speaker 1: From the UCL Tramping Center.
Speaker 4: U SEE Health Weight Loss Center offers comprehensive obesity care and advance sergical expertise called five one three nine three nine two two sixty three. That's nine three nine twenty two sixty three. Southbound seventy one crews continue to work with a couple of recks one below field Zirnle has the left lane blocked off. The newest is near Stewart and just after you get pass ken Wood there on the right hand side. Northbound seventy five continues slow out of Barlinger into town chuck ing Ramont fifty five k R see the talk station.
Speaker 2: Picked about the CAIRCD talk station always love this time of week eight thirty every every Thursday the fifty About Karac Morning Show. We get the benefit of hearing from iHeart Meatia aviation expert Jay Ratlift Jay. Happy new year to you, Welcome back to the morning show, and a new.
Speaker 5: Year to speak to my good friend Brian. I'm looking forward to it. Imagine the fun we're going to have this year.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's a great time every week, regardless of what we're talking about. Real quick here, because as I always like to point out, you do trade stocks, and it's your primary source of income, and you do a good job of it, and you trade other I trade other people how to do it, your method? But what the hell happened to tech stocks yesterday? You read flagged me and told me that a lot of them drop by like fifty percent.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the Navidia CEO came out talking about the timeline for a lot of the next wave, if you will, some of the IT type technology, and it was considerably longer than what a lot of people thought. And the tech industry had been pushing up and up and up during the excitement of everything. And when that came out, you had some stocks that were priced at you know, twenty dollars fifteen dollars five dropping forty and fifty percent yesterday, And it was an absolute, just a bloodbath when you saw these tech stocks taking the beating that they did. The overall market was down just a little bit. But you know, you're right. As far as me teaching students, I've done it for fifteen years. But Brian, trying to time the market is stupid. Yeah, when you try to time specific stocks as we do, as Warren Buffett does and everybody else, and you can hit an eighty percent batting average, Yeah, there's a lot of money to be made. So I felt really bad for the long term by holding prey investors that were holding a significant chunk of these tech stocks because before they knew what happened, that part of their portfolio was taking an absolute beating, and I hated to see it. But it's the other reminder of why you know, I'll hold a stock for fifteen or twenty minutes versus ten or twenty years because you simply don't know what's coming, and that's the best way to protect your portfolio.
Speaker 2: Enough sound advice.
Speaker 1: Moving over to aviation, and.
Speaker 5: I will add a ps, Brian, if I may in five days of trading my portfolio is up twenty percent, So I kind of like my approach versus what the long term by holding pray stuff is because this could be a tough year with that battle of inflation and everything else.
Speaker 3: I'm still yet to.
Speaker 1: Lick well, you know, it's actually I just glad you brought that up.
Speaker 2: Not to take this part of the conversation too long, but did you train Senator Ron Wyden, Representative Morgan M. Gravy, Nancy Pelosi, Representative Thomas Susie, Representative Kathy Manning, or Seth Molten or Tina Smith and your methodology, because those members of Congress and the senators, their portfolios went up by let's see, Senator Ron Wyden one hundred and twenty three percent, Morgan McGarvey one hundred and five percent, Nancy.
Speaker 3: Flower how long of a period of time? Any year?
Speaker 2: Last year?
Speaker 3: Oh no, no, no, they they.
Speaker 5: Wouldn't have been mine because they might go lot more than Heck no, I would not trade it. They would have to contact me through an alias to get my help.
Speaker 2: Brother, figure that we're working off insider information that the likes of.
Speaker 3: You and illegal. You should go to jail for that.
Speaker 2: I know that's the only reason I bring it up because that's exactly my conclusion. All right, what is what these guys that were found dead on that Jet Blues airplane they were up in the wheel well.
Speaker 5: They were and this happens from time to time. It was a couple of weeks ago that we had a United Airlines flight from Chicago, Chicago to Maui. Flight lands in Maui, they found someone who died in that wheel well. So it's like, how in the world is somebody able to stroll across the tarmac in Chicago's O'Hare Airport or JFK's airport in New York totally undetected and able to crawl up in a wheel well, which you know when you try to do that stunt, the fatality rates like seventy eight percent.
Speaker 3: It's like a suicide mission.
Speaker 5: You're either going to get crushed because there's not enough room, or you're going to die of hypothermia when the temperature drops to fifty sixty seven degrees below zero during the course of that flight and the unpressurized part of the aircraft.
Speaker 3: But what we're finding.
Speaker 5: Out on the Jet Blue situation was it may not have been a JFK situation. Because brand apparently these bodies had been decomposed to the point that they may have been on there for several days lights leading up to that. And I've had a few Jet Blue pilots that have reached out to me saying, Jay, I understand that when we do our walk around, there's a part of that landing gear flap that closes that when we do our walk around, we can't see back up in there, So it would require a mechanic with a large ladder to be up there doing an inspection on a specific system that would cause them to be up there to determine that somebody was in that particular part of the aircraft. So it's not like we miss it when we do our walk bys because we simply can't see that with the way that that type of aircraft has part of the landing gear door closed when the gear is deployed, So you know, it's not a situation where they're missing it on the walkaround. But if it was in Jamaica, where we're thinking it may have been in Kingston, you know, obviously the FAA will go there saying what kind of of securities you have in place here to prevent this, and ribly There's been times where flights from Africa, flights from Europe have come into the United States and they've dropped the landing gears to land at Newark or Kennedy or wherever, and we have bodies.
Speaker 3: That fall out.
Speaker 1: Well, that's what a lot of people wondering.
Speaker 2: I mean, if they were in there for like that three days, the flight went from multiple locations to others, there's multiple landings there. I'm surprised that the dead bodies weren't shaken out at some point.
Speaker 5: It happens, and it's a horrific event, and you know, you feel for obviously the individuals that lost their life, and certainly for a lot of them in Africa and other places that are trying to flee places where their life is literally in danger, so they're willing to put their life at risk, with most of them dying in the process. But the point is that it represents a huge lapse in security because had these individuals been terraced, had been individuals intent on inflicting harm that can gain act. This isn't Muscle Shows, Alabama, this isn't Evansville, Indiana. We're talking about Chicago's hair Airport.
Speaker 3: It's happened in Kennedy. We have the attacks of nine to eleven.
Speaker 5: JFK spent one hundred million dollars on a security upgrade with you know, motion sensors and closed circuit cameras. And in twenty twelve there was a jet scare that broke down on the river. He climbed the fence, he walks across two active runways, comes up to the terminal, walks in a door, and is inside the terminal in his great, big, bright yellow flotation device. He's dripping wet head to toe and a Delta employee notices em then and then calls the police. But that's the first time he was spotted after going that entire distance across one of the busiest international airports that we have in the country.
Speaker 3: So it's like, what's going on.
Speaker 5: With security if people are still able in Phoenix, in Chicago, at any of these other airports, worthy're able to access these aircraft and can't continue to happen.
Speaker 2: Well, we got another jet Blue to the story to talk about, plus the latest on the Korean plane crash among other topics with Jay Rattle. If we'll return after these brief.
Speaker 1: Words, fifty five KARC.
Speaker 2: The Great American air For my buddy, I find five KRCD talk station Brian Thomas with I heart meeting Aviation. Next for Jay Rattler, sticking with Jet Blue and in the category of idiots doing idiot things because they're idiots. What's the story with his passenger opening up a plane door while it's taxing.
Speaker 5: Well, the planes in Boston, you have passengers that are in such a good mood, Brian. They're leaving that winter weather, headed for San Juan, Puerto Rico, beautiful weather, a lot of food, a lot of fun, and they're taxing for takeoff and just looking forward to the flight and getting there. When you have a boyfriend and girlfriend that are sitting there and the girlfriend start starting to get text at the boyfriend wants to see who it's from. She won't show him, so he gets mad and says, I'll show you. He gets up, walks over to the emergency exit, opens up the door. Now the airplane's not pressurized, they've not taken off, and all of the emergency slides are engaged. So he opens up the exit, opens the door and boom, it's deployed. Nobody can stop him in time, and all of a sudden, the plane comes to a stop, every passenger is impacted by at least an hour and a half. It takes, normally from a mechanic standpoint, to replace one of these slides once they've been deployed. And you have one individual that's impacting that flight, and not only that, with the flight getting into later into San Juan, if the crew had a specific amount of time for the rest, that means the originating flight to the next day is also delayed, plus any other flight that aircraft is scheduled for on that day. So you have one individual impacting the lives of hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of people because, as you mentioned, acting like an idiot. And I suspect that Jet Blue will a ban this individual obviously from flying Jet Blue for life. They will send him a bill for the maintenance that was required to replace the slide, and passengers on board could certainly sue him in civil court if there were certain things they missed, like a wedding, someone they're trying to reach before they passed, those kinds of things because of the actions of one single person. And I tell you it's a shame nobody tackled him on the way to the door, because that's really the only way you could have prevented this. But you know, the flight intends will tell you to sit down, sit down, sit down, And they don't think you're going to walk over and grab the handle of the emergency exit and give.
Speaker 3: It a pull.
Speaker 2: Well exactly, And you know, going to your point about you wish someone had tackle them. That never wouldn't even have crossed my mind, because.
Speaker 5: Across my mind, I can tell you that because I'm thinking this guy's about to delay our flight big time.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean that he would actually open the damn door. You know, I see a guy walking toward the door while it's taxing, and I just wouldn't what kind of moron would even consider doing something like that. But you do live in a world filled with morons, all right. The Korean plane crash. What's going on with this one?
Speaker 3: The black boxes?
Speaker 5: I'm really interested to hear Brian, because of course there's a lot to this particular emergency situation where that plane crash. We lost one hundred and seventy nine lives, two peoples, the two crew members that were at the back of the airplane.
Speaker 3: But we're trying to figure out why in the world.
Speaker 5: The crew didn't deploy the landing gear because when you are making an emergency landing like this, apparently on one engine, you would lower the landing gear so that you at least have the ability to control the breaking of the aircraft after it's landed. And for some reason, this airplane came in with the landing gear up, not deployed. The flaps, which Boeing calls for being set at forty degrees to try to give yourself drag when you've got a belly landing, also not deployed. And apparently the reverse thrusters that were engaged, which is the process you use when you land, was done on the engine that may have been the one that had the bird impact. So there's just so many things there that just don't make sense. And the flight data recorder, one of the two black boxes, was damaged. It's gone to the National Transportation Safety Board in DC to be fixed.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 5: This past weekend, the South Korean officials were converting the cockpit voice recorder that would be recording the voices and the alarms and everything going on on the flight deck. They were converting that into audio files and they're reviewing that now and I suspect that they're going to be pretty forthcoming with the investigation, but there have been times as impossible as is to believe. And I've been saying this since the crash, that Cruis have forgotten to land lower the landing gear. Now we don't know if if in the because the landing gear, even if you have no hydraulics, it's a simple matter of unlocking the three landing gears and they're.
Speaker 3: Gravity deployed, they fall, they were locking the position, you're good to go.
Speaker 5: You don't need hydraulics for that to take place. So the idea that that didn't happen is raising all kinds of questions. But that's not what killed everybody.
Speaker 3: What killed everyone was asked, and I why the did you.
Speaker 5: That thing would have stopped at tank and it's at the end of the runway, and all it's doing is holding up the ils antennas, which at every other airport seemingly in the world, that's held up by things that break away in the event they're impacted by a ground vehicle or aircraft. They're not designed to stop a tank like this concrete wall was. And when they hit that, game over everybody dies and they shouldn't have.
Speaker 3: We've had so many.
Speaker 5: Belly landings where the aircraft goes and goes and goes, it slows to a stop and then everybody gets off minimal injuries, if any at all.
Speaker 3: Here we had a situation where the crew brought.
Speaker 5: It down level, they would have just continued you saw it going down the runway, yes, breaking apart, wasn't on fire. It would have continued to skid as those airplanes are designed to do, thankfully to the construction that Airbus and Boeing have on these planes, and it would have just simply come to a stop and everybody would have got off. So we're seeing right now that airports around the world. China is leading the way on this, doing a safety assessment on all of their airports, making sure that they don't have anything at the end of the overrun section at the end of a runway that an aircraft could impact that could cause this kind of an outcome. And you know, the best way for us to honor the lives of those that were lost, and this is so incredibly tragic, is to make sure that we avoid this tide of a situation in the future. And it was that wall that was the problem. Now, obviously, if the crew forgot to lower the landing gear, or there was a mechanical situation, or if one of the pilots experienced a medical episode in the middle of this, all of that's working against them, and they might have been able to stop the aircraft otherwise before it got to that part. So there's probably going to be a lot of contributing factors, as tends to be the case with most of these accident investigations. But as with every one of them, we're going to learn and I'm glad to see the South Korean officials are not holding everything close to the vest. They've asked Boeing to come in and assist the engineers. They've asked for the National Transportation Safety Board here from the US to come in. They're incorporating a lot of different agencies, and I think that probably means that when the information starts forthcoming in the next few days on what the initial observations are, and again the the investigation will go for a year year and a half, we'll have a pretty good idea of what some of the initial findings are that will be you know, that'll lead the investigation. But it couldn't have happened, and that will have happened the entire reason, yep I, I could not believe my eyes when I saw that. And among the things, don't build a tank stopping wall at the end of a runway, and don't build a nuclear plant in a tsunami zone. Let's pause for a moment. We'll bring Jay that lift back.
Speaker 2: We got the latest on Boeing plus hub delays, and I suspect there might be some West coast delays. We'll hear from Jay on that one in just a second.
Speaker 1: Fifty five car the talk station. I wish i'd gotten treated.
Speaker 2: Haut A forecast twenty three for the high today with sunny sky is down at nine overnight with clouds snow Tomorrow aum about ten am one to five inches, twenty eight degrees overnight low of twenty and on Saturday it'll be dry, a higher thirty and partly cloudy, closing out.
Speaker 3: At eight degrees.
Speaker 2: Time for final traffic.
Speaker 4: Probably you see health Tramphic center, you see Health weight Pass Center offers comprehensive Obcitycaren and Van Sergic Co expertise called five one three nine three nine two two sixty three.
Speaker 1: That's nine nine twenty two. Sixty three left lane.
Speaker 4: Remains blocked with the southbound seventy one just below Fields thirdle.
Speaker 1: There's an accident. He's found on the Reagan Highway.
Speaker 4: John Stampaue got passed seventy five and the RAM from Donaldson to southbound seventy five is blocked off in northern Kentucky due to an accident. Chuck Ingram on fifty five Tierra see the talk station.
Speaker 2: Hey fifty eight fifty about KIRCD talk station Bryan Thomas closing it out with iHeart Media Aviation Expert. We do the segment every Thursday at a thirty and I third certainly enjoy talking with Jay.
Speaker 3: Jay.
Speaker 2: What is the story latest story on Boeing? Are they stepping up efforts, surprise inspections or something.
Speaker 3: How's this working? Yeah, we're coming up.
Speaker 5: In fact, we've passed the one year anniversary of the Alaska Airlines door plug thing blowing out, and you and I were talking a year ago last week where Boeing had sent out a memo saying that some mechanics for Airlines had found bolts in nuts that were missing and loose on some of the rudder control systems of the seven thirty seven and how their airline mechanics maybe should keep an eye on that when they're doing their ongoing maintenance. So that made us think what in the world's going on? And then the door plug happened where it fell off the last Airlines flight. Thank god nobody got killed or seriously injured. And the FAA has stepped in now saying that the oversight that they kicked in after this last year has continued. In fact, they've gone on to stress that they are stepping up their unannounced inspections, which I love because I tell you, anytime that you're working at an airport and an FA inspector shows up and announced, everything stops and they're there to make sure that everything's being done as it should. Now, five years ago we were told by the Federal ava's administration they were going to be on top of Boeing like never before. We had nothing to worry about the craft they had pulled previous with the Boeing Max situation, the two plane crashes withholding information criminally from the FAA from airlines from pilots was a thing of the past. Well, we have found over the last five years, with forty some whistleblowers that that really hasn't happened. So the FAA is trying to make sure that moving forward from this point that they are on top of things, and Brian, I really hope that they are, because you're talking about matters of safety to the point that some Boeing employees won't even get on their own airplanes. Now, I think it extreme, but it underscores just how concerned a lot of these individuals are when in the past, according to the reports, as you and I talked about, the airplane would run out of parts, and to keep the airplane moving through the production line, employees were told to go to the scrap heap, pick out the best parts that's failed, bring it back and guess it's painted with red paint, but get all the red paint off and then put it on the aircraft. And a lot of these employees are like, no, I mean, that's a failed part. It's in the junk pile for a reason. But you know, these are the kind of antics that apparently had been going on for a number of years, and the FAA is coming out saying that, you know, we're going to make sure that this doesn't happen again. Boeing when they brought their employees back from the strike, they did wait an entire month before they resumed operation of the production line to make sure that these safety issues were addressed. I like to see that, but it's gonna be five years before you're gonna ask me if I'm comfortable with war Boeing zat because I believed them five years ago. And I look like an absolute idiot when I believed them with all their paragraphs of promise, because they didn't do a single thing. They talked, Oh, they're gonna get rid of the CEO, that's gonna change things.
Speaker 3: No I didn't. Oh we're gonna return to the days of old. No they didn't.
Speaker 5: They didn't do a stupid thing, and if anything, they got worse. And that's one of the reasons that to me, I'm just furious. And obviously I'm hoping the FAA this time is serious about doing their job and making sure that Boeing is doing theirs.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, as you're saying that, and I approve, I guess on some level, appreciate your confidence in the FAA's ability to actually do its task properly. But you're you're yeah, you're relying on government employees.
Speaker 3: Some of them are really really.
Speaker 5: Good at what they do, and you just don't have enough of them. And sometimes in the past, part of the certification process that was stamped by a Boeing inspector was actually allowed to be done by Boeing employees and where they would oh, yeah, that's fine, boom and they would just stamp it as okay, certified and it would roll through the process without an FA inspector everling eyes on the work that was being done.
Speaker 3: Now that is.
Speaker 5: Stopped because we've taken the keys away from Boeing as far as calling the shots on that. But I mean, there's so many different indications where you know, the traveling public simply is still not comfortable with Boeing. I've gotten emails for the last year from individuals all over the country that are traveling saying, Jay, I'm going to be looking for air bus s iteneraries or bombardier or some other type of equipment because I'm not comfortable flying Boeing. Now again, I think that's extreme. When Cherry and I fly, if it's a Boeing aircraft, we jump on. But that's not to say that I'm not slightly concerned because some of these things that allowed to happen, and the concern is, are any of these failed parts on these airplanes I'm boarding. So yeah, obviously I'm a little bit concerned.
Speaker 2: As we go, fair enough, I would expect some flight delays on the West coast. What's the story on the flight situation today?
Speaker 5: We are seeing impact into Lax just a bit, But Brian, the real problem children of the day are going to be Dallas and Houston. Especially Dallas. We're seeing some icing and some rain that's going to be coming through in snow that are going to be impacting the areas of Dallas, and that's going to be the one impacted the most. Houston's also with United Airlines going to see some issues as they storm system a violent one pushes up through there. If you're flying American airlines today, get to the airport early. They may do what's called an online reroute where you may be scheduled to fly through Dallas and they say, hey, we can get you to your destination through Chicago or through another American hub to avoid that mess. So getting to the airport extra early can certainly work to your advantage because Dallas is going to be an area that you know a lot of people.
Speaker 3: Are going to be trying to avoid.
Speaker 5: Unfortunately, January is a lighter travel month, so it's nice that these storms didn't hit us two weeks ago or even a week ago, when every single flight was overfilled. Today it's a lot easier, and it's going to give the agents an opportunity to better take.
Speaker 3: Care of us.
Speaker 2: Fair enough, Jay Rattler, appreciate the information passed along to my listeners and our conversation every week. We'll do it again next Thursday. Between now and then, best to health you and your better half and happy New Year again.
Speaker 3: And to you is are my friend. Thank you.
Speaker 2: Thanks brother Dave Williams Taxpayer Protection Lines. You need to get a chance to listen to him. Putting a lame in lame Congress comment on Festivus report, Donald and the Americans for Prosperity is laid out the twenty twenty five policy Agenda. Big Things coming to Ohio. Thanks Americans for Prosperity. You can podcast that at fifty five carecy dot Com Tune tomorrow Tech Friday with Dave Hatter. I have a wonderful day, folks. Thanks again. Joe Strecker executive producer. Extraordinary Folks stick around Lenbeck's coming.
Speaker 1: Up, Counting down, Let's go as we welcome back President Trump.
Speaker 5: The next four years are just gonna be In credit.
Speaker 1: Log fifty five Care the Talk Station. This report is sponsored by mattress firm Square