Speaker 1: Hey, everybody, Welcome to episode thirty three of The Eat Check. Today is July fifth, and I am your host, Nathan Graham. Join me once again. Today is the one and only Smith Brigner Smith. How are you, Nathan?
Speaker 2: I just completed an almost three hour drive. I had to sit in the car with my girlfriend who's from Brazil after they lost to Early Holland and Norway. So you can ask me anything. You can ask me anything about my night. It probably wasn't as good as most listeners I would assume, who are listening to this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, kind of a down day for Brazil in the World Cup, isn't it. Have you been following the World Cup pretty closely?
Speaker 2: You know? It's interesting I have just by extension, not because I'm American. I'm following the USA team, but being that she's from Brazil, it's obviously a huge deal over there, and so funny enough, just me trying to do the good boyfriend thing. I was able to save up some money got some tickets to a World Cup game. It was Brazil and Haiti. What I didn't realize when I bought the tickets, Nathan, is I bought them in the Brazil super fan section. In the bleachers nice and so the whole game it is drums, horns, people screaming at the top of their lungs, my girlfriend being one of them, mind you awesome, and flags draping over us to the point where it's like I want to see the game. I can't see the game, Like, get this flag off my head please. So, I mean, one of the sickest, most insane, amazing sporting events I've ever been to. And that was a low profile game that wasn't even a big England versus France or Brazil versus Spain kind of game. It was you know, Brazil and Haiti, and it was still an insane environment. So, man, if you have a chance to over these next few weeks, I think it's another two weeks or whatever, man, try your best to get to a game if possible.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I really don't don't follow it that close, but just seeing just seeing those those fans sections is pretty cool.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, it's sick. I was in Brazil.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think my favorite Norway have you seen have you seen them?
Speaker 2: Oh? Yeah? Oh yeah. Well what's funny though, is that the game today we're recording this the day that Norway beat Brazil. If you look at that stadium, it was like eighty five percent Brazil. I mean, I think Brazil is probably the best traveled fan base in the world. I think they're probably the most crazy. The Scots came in a pretty close second, though, I gotta.
Speaker 1: Say they did. They had a pretty nice showing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, So you know, I would say Brazil's fans kind of travel like the Yankees fans, right, Like, they have the most FIFA World Cups of any nation. So they're they're like.
Speaker 1: The Yankees, and they're kind of.
Speaker 2: Like the Dodgers. Yeah, yeah, like they they they are going to be people calling for Carlo Ancelotti's head, There's no doubt about it. You know, neymar I love you, brother, But he looks he looks done. So they're an old team in transition, almost like the New York ky Kees.
Speaker 1: Funny, that's that's a pretty good trans transition. That's a that's a great transition.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Nice. All right, so let's let's jump into talk some baseball. If you if you knew the podcast first, well, welcome. But we're to take a look at the top performer, top performing pitcher and hitter from each minor league level. Our hitter from Triple A is someone that we've discussed before on the podcast and not in a good light, But this time we're going to look at in a positive light, and that's Rocky's outfielder, Charlie Condon Smith. The last ten days, he's been probably the hottest hitter in all of minor league baseball, hitting five twenty six six home runs. And we all know Charlie Condon number three overall selection in twenty twenty four after historic grun at Georgia, selected ahead of Nick Kurtz. I think at the time we had the debate whether would we take Condon, Kurtz or Caglione. But prior to this year, he's never slugged above four p fifty and he's dealt with hand and wrist injuries. But it seems like it's turning around this year. But my question to you is is Condon's twenty twenty sixth season is it real or just a byproduct and playing in the PCL and being a little bit healthy this year, do you still have concerns about Condon?
Speaker 2: Nathan, It's real, Yeah, it's real. He is one of those guys where it's important to just measure how significant an injury it was at the time you're dealing with the hand or the wrist, I should have factor that in more. And it's also difficult to assess once he came back from injury how much it was affecting him afterwards and was he really one hundred percent because the guy that I'm seeing now is not anything like the guy I saw. What was it last year when we covered him towards the beginning of the year, I think, so, yeah, So he's like, he's just got better batspeed. It just it's it looks quicker, it looks more explosive, and and he's making a lot of contact. And the issue was that he was swinging and missing and swinging and missing on breaking stuff because he was cheating on fastballs that normally he could catch up on. It's something he wasn't catching up on because he didn't have batspeed. Now that the bat speed's back, he's showing an ability to hit all different pitch types. If you look at his zone contact rate over a rolling period throughout the season, it's gotten progressively better, to the point where over the last sixty swings he's taken, he's at his own contact rate of anywhere between eighty one to eighty eight percent, which is really really good. So the factor that with still plus batterball data, exit velocities ninety eighth max barrel, they're all good. They're not great. I will say that it's not great. It's good, but it's not great. And should he be in the major leagues one thousand percent? Right? You know, he kind of reminds me of funny enough. And it's not just because he was a highly touted pick, but it's Spencer Torkulsen Actually is I think a fair comp here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I can see that. I can see that, so yeah, yeah, I think I think it is more than just being in the PCO. I think he's finally healthy and we really didn't take into count just how much that hand and wrist injury took its toll. Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: I agree. It definitely took a toll, and I think that's on us to put that into more context than perhaps give a little bit more grace. I think the fact that he was a Rockies prospect, though, which is like we were so ready to dunk on him for that reason alone. Yeah, and you know, the Rockies are still the Rockies in some ways, but it does look like they are turning the corner in a lot of key areas developmentally. Under Paul de Badesta, the pitching has gotten at least a little bit more advanced, like they got something out of Antonio Sinctela and some guys in the major leagues. Some of their pitching prospects are starting to show signs of life, and Condon is leading the hitters in that respect.
Speaker 1: I agree, we're gonna stay in the National League West here and with our pitcher, and that's Blade Tidwell. So Tidwell Triple A Sacramento. He debuted with the Mets, was it last year? They struggled, and then was traded to the Giants in exchange for Tyler Rodgers last year, and he's been up a little bit this year. Eight relief appearances with San Francisco, and he's looked pretty good. I don't know if there's a bigger disappointment in baseball than the Giants. It's kind of been a train wreck this year. M and you would have to think that they are going to be sellers at the deadline, you would think, for sure. Yeah, And so they've been building up innings for Tidwell and Triaa. Do you think he's in San Francisco's rotation opening day next year or by the end of this year.
Speaker 2: I think by the end of this year, I think it's possible. I mean, Tyler Maylee should not be on this team. Robbie Ray should not be on this team come the trade deadline. Adrian Houser should not be on this team. The only guys that should be in the rotation guaranteed going it's the next year are Logan Webin Landen Groupe. That's it, right. Trevor McDonald hasn't really proved anything. Tyler Maylee is someone that you absolutely should be trading. What exactly you get for him given that he he has almost a six era or it mays to be seen, but maybe there's a team that thinks that they can fix his fastball to become a plus offering. Again, not other on possibility, but even if he's not a starter, like Eric Miller, absolutely should be traded, no question about it. Caleb Killian, you have lightning in a bottle. You gotta trade the brother, right, So he's going to be in some sort of capacity. As for Tidwell. Now, as for Tidwell, the player the pitcher. He's always kind of had this power arsenal with really good velocity. It used to be premium, it's just good now, like he's sitting in the mid nineties with the fastball with not the greatest movement profile. It's not quite a dead zone, but it's like an average fastball. What really gets him going is the sweeper and slider, which are two distinct pitches. It's about five miles of velocity separation miles power velocity separation, and the sweeper gets actually really nice bite, so he does have a feel to spin the ball. So you pair like an average fastball with a sinker and cutter. He's got that trifecta that he can use effectively. He does have a sweeper and slider that get really good spin rates, really good with rates as well. I think one developmental area I'd like to see him work on is just incorporating the cutter a little bit more because as this guy who gets on the side of the ball right he's a supernat you want to try to find that pitch for him that is that perfect hybrid between velocity and bite, and his cutter has a rising cutter characteristic. What do you mean by that, instead of having negative induced vertical break like I would say most cutters have maybe one inch of induced vertical break, this has almost ten. So he's got ten with almost slighter like horizontal movement on a pitch that goes ninety miles an hour. He's getting a ton of swing and miss on it. And it's a really nice pitch to use against lefties when you're trying to jam them high and inside, when you're throwing it as hard as he can. So he's got an interesting profile from that perspective. The fastball trifecta that we like, the ability to really spin the ball. It's always gonna come down to can he command his arsenal enough, And that's always been the issue with Blade did Will. It's always been the reason his stuff is played down more than what you would suggest for a guy with this kind of stuff. I would say it's plus stuff collectively. But the command is we're in the forty to forty five rings right now, right right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, It'll be interesting to see how they use him at the end of the year if they do make those deals.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, they absolutely should.
Speaker 1: They should, Yeah, they should.
Speaker 2: I do want to say, though you said they are the most disappointing team. I think the Mets and Red Sox would have something to say about that, though.
Speaker 1: Yeah that's true, that's true.
Speaker 2: But they're not barblhind No, No they're not, they're not.
Speaker 1: Let's move down to double A and and our hitter is Alfonsin Rosario, outfielder for the Cleveland Guardians. He was a Cubs draftee sixth rounder in the twenty twenty three draft. He's a prep outfielder, and the story on Vasari was always projectable. There's a lot of projection in the frame. But he was dealt to Cleveland in twenty twenty four for Eli Morgan, who, by the way, pitched just seven innings for the Cubs last year. Huge power potential and we're we're finally starting to see it this year. He's in double A akron and four to twenty one over the last ten games, three home runs, but he's got fifteen home runs, ten sole and bases on the season. We always a theme for us on the heat check has always been double a's kind of been. You see a lot of players struggle there and it's a benchmark level for talent. But we're seeing Rosario thrive there. Are you ready to consider Rosario a top prospect for the Guardians or is there anything in the profile you'd like that might hold him back.
Speaker 2: Well, he's swing some misses too much. Yeah, so I'm I'm definitely not in as much I think that you might be, Nathan.
Speaker 1: I'm not ready. I'm not ready just yet, but I was. Yeah, the swing and miss is a concern.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's one concern. So I'm doing a simple data pull and I'm trying to find guys with greater than two hundred and fifty played appearances at any given level, And I'm basically trying to figure out, of the guy's two hundred and fifty plate appearances, how many guys have a swinging strike rate of greater than twenty percent. I'm just gonna say it's a very small list that Rosario finds himself on there. Yeah. So he is swinging missing way too much. And if you look at it, it's a very long swing. There's a lot of action pre load going on here. Can some of this be cleaned up? Yes? And can you know the fact that he's got good really I would say plus strength. He's a big guy. Yeah, almost what two hundred and forty pounds. If I had to guess, he's a big dude. He's kind of one of those thumpers. Like imagine in frammill Reyes if he was like two or three inches shorter. That's kind of the way that he's projecting here. That's a fun player. But then again, frammil Reyes had like seventy grade power, so you were able to live with the strikeouts and the low walk rates and the high chase so long as he hit you twenty five or thirty bombs. That's basically the way Rosario is gonna have to contribute as a corner outfielder without any other significant tool to his name.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I think you're right. I think that's but I think it is maybe promising that he is doing a double A. But we'll see. I think the swing miss might rear rear their head later on.
Speaker 2: Possibly possibly. Yeah, it's it's tough to say, but I am still gonna firmly keep him in the forty to forty five ofp range.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's pretty good idea. Now for the picture in double A, our picture is going to be Christiana, And it was I know I was putting the doc together, and I was so looking back through the past articles of BP and stuff, and I saw there was there was an article earlier this year about potential breakouts of twenty six and lo and behold who wrote it?
Speaker 2: Bay?
Speaker 1: Was you? So tell me what made you at that time? What made you think that he was going to have this breakout that he's having right this year at Tulsa.
Speaker 2: So he was flagged to me by by someone like, hey, you usually check this guy out. And as public side scouts, we always have to be really careful, right taking that right, Like, I used to just run with what somebody would say, and I got in a lot of trouble, not like actual trouble, but just I remember I got gassed up on Jason Aminga's one time, and right, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: So you can find a scout to tell you anything you want to hear about someone I think.
Speaker 2: Correct, correct. And so this required a lot of background work. Now the person I got it from someone that I trust sure more than just like the average scout. Right, So I was willing to look into it. And as I looked in the data and I saw the tape, I was like, this is a top ten pitching prospect because I know that I compare some guy's fastballs to Brian Wu. But if there was a guy with the Brian Wo traits on a fastball, yeah, it's Christian Zazaweta because the way that he has such a low release point, the way his release like how far down he gets on the mound. He gets almost seven feet of extension, low release point, way above average and does vertical break given that release height, and then the approach angle is like virtually and hittable, like it's it's not dropping at all. Like the rising action on this fastball is insane. And and you know he was throwing in cold weather for the first time in his career in the Great Lakes. I think it is high a and that was his first time in cold weather like ever. And now that the weather's gotten warm, the velocity is ticked up until like the ninety five to ninety seven range top of you now sometimes at ninety eight like it's sick, and he throws it for strikes too, like all of this alongside the ability to command it in any quadron of the zone. So it is Yeah, I'm gonna call eighty grade fastball. It's eighty grade fastball, and he's getting a complete arsenal around it. He's got a slider, he's got a cutter as well. He's got this change that is getting a ton of swing and miss right now in the zone. So like the amount of deception that he's able to get with really clean arm action, really great arm speed, nice and lanky like, not stiff, very loose. This is This is like the quintessential breakout that pops up in lower high eight every year. And I have absolutely no doubt in my mind he is a top ten pitching prospect. He might actually be closer to a top five pitching prospect than a top ten at this point.
Speaker 1: Woh, okay, in all of baseball or just the Dodgers.
Speaker 2: In all he oh, he's the number one pitching prospect for the Dodgers.
Speaker 1: Okay, Okay, he's gonna be.
Speaker 2: We're gonna have conversations about him being anywhere between the top ten and top five pitching prospect by the end of the year. I might argue top five.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I was looking at the stats. You did make a good point, Great Lakes. He's considerably better at Tulsa than he was in Great Lakes in hi A so yeah, I think the cold weather in Midland, Michigan kind of played a role there.
Speaker 2: So for sure. I mean he was getting backuped to absolute death there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so awesome. So he's definitely a picture to take keep an eye on going.
Speaker 2: Forward one thousand. Get him while you can before he gets on everyone's big prospect lists in your dynasty league.
Speaker 1: That's right, let's move down to hi A. So Hya, we're gonna look at our hitter is Sammy Steffura, shortstop for the Pittsburgh Pirates. So he was originally second round selection by the Reds in twenty twenty three, and I liked him for the Reds, but he was dealt last season at the deadline for Cabrian Hayes. Post draft, the numbers kind of dipped a little bit, but he's rebounded nicely this year in HYA. He's twenty one years old, so it's age appropriate. But on the season he's hitting a slashing two sixty nine, three seventy six, four ninety four, so he's hitting for average, a little bit of power, he's got some speed. He's a good athlete. Is there enough in that profile there to make you think he's part of the Pirates' next cores or is he just a role player to you?
Speaker 2: I think he's a role player. Yeah, there's definitely some utility to this profile because there's some defensive versatility here that you know. I know he's been primarily a shortstop. He's played a little bit and base as well. I'd like to see him in the outfield as well. And the Pirates, being a small market team, have every incentive to try to maximize every roster spot, every player. Like It's not because he's not a good defensive shortstop. He is. I think he can stick there.
Speaker 1: But somebody else there right now, don't they?
Speaker 2: Uh yeah, they got a guy named Connor Griffin there, so he ain't going anywhere. In fact, he's actually a year older than Connor Griffin. Is just insane to think about, or maybe even two. Is he two one two?
Speaker 1: He's just one?
Speaker 2: Whatever point stands. I think there is a possibility of him being a really nice role player that can play anywhere, sort of in the way of like like like Marvel Gonzalez. The only thing is that Marlon Gonzalez was I believe he was a switch hitter. But marvelon Gonzalez swung and miss a fair bit but had a little bit of power. Yeah, And it's kind of the same for Sephurra, right, Like he swings and misses a lot, but he's got a little bit of power. He will take a walk, and he's fast. I think he can play in a multitude of positions and be that Marlon Gonzalez kind of guy on a team. So I'm not there yet as an everyday regular projection. I think he's a pretty safe forty five at the very least.
Speaker 1: Though, Yeah, I think you're right. I think his an athleticism gets him there. So let's look at an arm for hya, and that's David Hagemann for the Arizona Diamondbacks. Another guy that was moved last year at the deadline, this time to the Diamondbacks for Merrill Kelly. But he was a bullpen arm West Virginia and you went internal brace surgery in May of twenty twenty four, but the Rangers still saw enough to draft him in the fourth round. You talked about Sazutaka and the elite extension, but hageman really gets an elite extension too with the fastball. But we've seen the walk rate kind of back up a little bit this year. We don't talk about Diamondbacks pitchers all that often, but where do you think Hageman ranks in terms of Diamondbacks prospects? Is he one on one candidate?
Speaker 2: Not with that walk rate? Now? Yeah, yeah, no, If that walk rate was closer to ten percent, I think we have a discussion. But yeah, Like he's got a good fastball, he's got a good slider, he's got a good change up. He just needs to throw it over the plate more and needs to eat. I almost wonder if it's like a confidence issue, like, dude, just literally just aim for the middle, like all the guys that you hear having subpart command that end up becoming pretty good starters, right, like the tyler Glass nows right, Like at some point it's just go be a bro, throw gas and and good things happen. Exactly just trust her stuff. I think that's really that Like it is that simple, like just throw it over the plate and good things will happen. And will you make a mistake from time to time like Tyler Glass. Now sure I'm not claiming he's tyler Glass now to be clear, but there's a there's a complete arsenal here and I would just love to see that walk rate come down a little bit. He's fine. I think he's somewhere in the top one fifty. And as we always say, is there really a gap between one oh one and one fifty? Not really. It's more just a matter of personal preference than anything. But there's definitely some intriguing stuff to work with here, no doubt about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's one too. I think that maybe this is year two, coming back from that injury. Maybe we see next year the command takes another step forward for sure.
Speaker 2: For sure, I will say it's it's a pretty aggressive delivery. He goes downhill a fair bit, but there's a little bit of a hitch. So mechanically speaking, I don't think it's a given. Even if you know you get another year, it's possible. Like I've I've really begun to devalue mechanics when it comes to assessing command, I think it's kind of a loser's game, right, Honestly, I think it's better to assess velocity, and that's obviously not an issue with him. But yeah, let's give it another year. I'm definitely intrigued. He gets a lot of swing and miss on just about everything. This is definitely got to keep an eye on. I'm not there yet as a one oh one guy, though, right.
Speaker 1: I think he's one that maybe next year at this time maybe he will be.
Speaker 2: Then it's yeah, it's it's definitely possible. Okay, I'll say it as much.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, let's move on down to low A. And our lower hitter is an interesting one. It's Alex Ode shortstop for the Atlanta Braves. Lodise low Dice, low Dice. Let's just go with low d low Ds Lowds. Okay, all right. So low Des was a two year start at Florida State Golden Spikes finalists last year before the Braves select him in the second round. He got one hundred at bats post draft and high A. But we're talking about him this year in low A. Yeah, that's not a good sign. How concerned are you that lodis a college bat from a big pro is still in low A.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I'm not putting much into this performance. I'm not gonna lie. Yeah. I wonder if it's an organization I don't know this, to be clear. I wonder if it's just an organizational shift in how aggressive they are in promoting guys right, But if you just go to the chalk developmental timeline in Major League Baseball, he's still well behind here. Yeah, he's twenty two years old from the se excuse me, acc in low A like what we do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, We've always kind of talked about how teams will tell you what they really think of a player, and it just makes me wonder here.
Speaker 2: It Yeah, and I'm sure there's a I'm sure there's a good explanation here. Like the Braves are not idiots, they know what they're doing. They're very smart. They're one of the best player developmental organizations in baseball. You see three or four guys every year break out like they are this year. Yeah, I just it's just a little confounding to me that he was good last year. Granted he's swung in this a ton in high ay, but even so, like he spent half a year in Low A this year, Like, I don't think you need to spend half a year in low A. Another thing I will say here is it is a very hitter friendly league right now when his slash line is good but it's not dominant.
Speaker 1: No, So yeah, it's not what you want to it's not what you want to see in low A from a player that was at Florida State.
Speaker 2: No, and he's hit seventeen homers. Yeah, so what that tells me is that he's he is hitting a lot of fly balls, and so his batting average on balls and play. I haven't even looked at it. I probably should have. I'm sure it's quite low. I'm sure it's quite low. Like if it's barely scraping three hundred, that would not surprise me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's kind of concerning there, but I think the glove is still good. There's still some positives in the Oh.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, And I should have said that. I apologize. He is a clear defensive shortstop, so, like there is a lot of excitement just for that alone. Like if he's able to have fifty five grade power, even if he has a forty grade hit tool. If he has a forty grade hit tool of fifty five power and can play a fifty five or sixty grade shortstop, that's a heck of a prospect, right that is?
Speaker 1: That is?
Speaker 2: Yeah, So there's definitely some exciting stuff here. It's just a really strange like, why is he's still in low A. I don't really have an answer for you. I know they've a lot of shortstop prospects, and I'm sure maybe that's part of it. They've got a lot of infield prospects all of a sudden, which was not the case recently. Like I know John Hill, John Gill Hill Gil John Gill is in hig A right now and he is absolutely tearing it up there. It's probably just a matter of time before he goes up to Double A. But he's a twenty year old tearing it up in Hi A. So I wonder if it's just that they want to get both of them playing time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe it is a case of them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like that's the thought that comes to mind. But I also think that's telling that they'd rather go with a twenty year old in High A than the twenty two year old who has major college conference experience.
Speaker 1: I agree, I agree. All right, now we're gonna move down to their picture. And this is someone I've been hearing about from you for a couple of years, and so I'm just gonna kind of introduced the player and just let you go here. So Henry Henry Lulane Loway Tampa, his last fourteen innings of work nowhere and runs twenty three strikeouts and zero walks. So Smith have at it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So Lalani was probably the best pitching prospect I'd ever seen in the Yankees complex. He was sick and then he hurt his shoulder at the beginning of the twenty twenty four season. I first I went to the spring breakout game in twenty twenty four, and I was so ready for the ninety five to ninety seven from this twenty year old who's six foot seven from the Bronx, Like, inject that into my veins, right, And when he was throwing ninety ninety one ninety two, it was like something's not right here lo and behold, he ends up having shoulder surgery. He's out for the year, barely pitches last year. He's also ninety one ninety two. Come to twenty twenty six and he's up to ninety four. He's getting swing and miss on the four scene. But what's really standing out is his slider and change up. They're getting both above forty five percent with rates. He's got a little bit of deception. He's got a sort of like a high three quarters delivery at six foot seven, so like that release point, you would think is really high. He just gets down on the mound so far, but the crazy parties, he doesn't have like the highest amount of extension because he's got the high release point, right. But he's got a high release point and his legs are so spread apart at the release that he's got this combination of like average release height, slightly above average release height, and slightly above average extension. There's not many pictures with that combination. It's usually you give up the arm angle to get better extension, right, Yeah, that's where your arm angle. Right. He's kind of one of those anomalies where because he's so freaking big, he can do both of those things, and he does them. So the ninety four looks like ninety five ninety six, But then it's got the movement profile of a guy with a high three quarter slot, so it makes for more deception than anything. The stuff models don't love him, and I understand why. I don't think stuff models have really done a good job of a county for this relationship between induced vertical break and extension or excuse me, release height. I should say extension, because if they did, then I think Lailani would be closer towards the top of stuff models. He's definitely back on the radar, I will say that. And he's gotten better as the season's gone on. He's getting more swing and miss as the season has progressed, the point where I think, over his last however many pitches, he's getting zone contact rates within you know, sub seventy percent. Like he's absolutely ready to go to Hya. It's really good to see him healthy again because for a while it was looking like it was it was jover for Lalane. But he's he's definitely back on the radar. I'm happy to say that. I just want to see him throw a few more strikes. He's getting a lot of chase out of the zone right now, which is inflating the strikeout rate and lowering the walk rate. But you know, as we know, that's going to go down if he doesn't remedy that. So let's see him get in the zone a little bit more. But I'm back to being from its jover to okay, there were you know, this is a top maybe a top ten pitching prospect in the system, or maybe top ten prospect I should say in the system this offseason, right.
Speaker 1: Good, Yeah, it's always good to see guys come back from entries and kind of return to their former status.
Speaker 2: It's not quite there yet though, Like he was still mid nineties two years ago, twenty year old, all right, so there's still a little bit left to give. If he's suddenly ninety five to ninety seven. Oh, he catapults way up lists at that point, like way way up. And then if the command ever comes back to what it was, then we go back to my initial thesis of the top ten pitching prospect in the sport. Right. Awesome, Well, that's that's still a ways away. Right.
Speaker 1: We do have a little bit of bonus content because we've got Complex league action going on.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, the sickos out there, Oh yes, yeah.
Speaker 1: If you've stuck around for this, you're we're digging in deep here. So we're going to Arizona first, and our hitter is Fernando Cruz, Cub shortstop, hitting three forty five with four home runs, one walk in twelve strikeouts in his last ten games. So Cruse is actually the cousin of former Cubs All Star Starlin Castro, and he was there big ticket signing in twenty twenty four, but like a week or two after he signed he suffered a major shoulder injury, and so that took him out of twenty twenty four, and it delayed twenty twenty five, and he was bad in twenty twenty five. The numbers were terrible. M But he's healthy again. There's tons of upside in the profile plus bat speed, plus plus athleticism. But how much does that thirty five percent k rate that he's running right now in Arizona? How much does that worry you as for a player that's that young. Woo said, a big red flag, red sirens.
Speaker 2: Yep, that's get out of the way, the sirens, the ambulances is speeding through the highway here.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: No, So like clubs community, as rational as it is, is going to call him the next Hobby Bias, right because he's got plus power plus defense, can run, you know, you know, Latin American, you know, kind of has some swagger, right, Like that's that's gonna be the inevitable comp and it like, on the surface, it's not the worst in the world. But the difference is that Hobby Baiaz struck out because he's swung and missed out of the zone way too much. But he actually made enough contact in the zone to make it work for eight or nine years, right, and then he went to Troy and all fell apart. But he was good for eight or nine years because he still was able to make enough contact in the zone to get away with it. Cruz is not at that point and thus should not be in that conversation with the hobby bayas he has always swung and missed. Going back to the Dominican days, he was swinging and missing at almost forty percent of pitches, which I'm not gonna lie. That's really hard to do in the DSL. That's kind of impressive, honestly, but there's definitely some power here. But similar to Lodiz, he really has been having an an interrational amount of his hits or fly balls go over the wall, and the battball data is okay, it's good for his age, but it's not like a knocker socks off. This is a top prospect in the sport. This is the kind of profile that can get red hot or ice cold. So next, let's actually put a pin in this next podcast. Let's come back and see what Fernando Cruise is up to in this last ten games.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm gonna make a note of that.
Speaker 2: Let's do it. Good note on the on the Starling Castro relationship. I did not know that though.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, So let's finish up the podcast here with our picture and we're gonna talk at Texas Rangers left hander Ben Abelt. I hope I'm pronouncing that right. Yeah. So he was one of the top relievers in college baseball during his time at TCU, and they were going to actually transition him to a starter's role before towards UCL in twenty twenty five. Rangers still selected him in the fifth round and they're moving him along slowly. He's been starting in the complex. So my question to you here is he's a belt seems like he could be a quick mover. Should the Rangers move him back to the bullpen, how patient do you think they'll be with him?
Speaker 2: Huh, it's a good question. Yeah, I don't know. I will say the numbers are not overly impressive for complex. I get that he's coming back from major injuries, so yeah, yeah, you know, keep that in mind. But yeah, I don't think like they definitely are in the need for for lefty relievers intact, like they need all the pictures they can get right now in Texas. But you know, if you look at the delivery, it's kind of a crossbody, crossbody low three course delivery. There's actually a video back from like twenty twenty four, I'll send it to you offline here of one of his bullpens, and if you see where he lands, he lands like at least a foot and a half off the center of the rubber and he's you know, he's starting on the third bait on the first base side of the rubber. He lands his front foot like a foot and a half off of that side of the picture's mounds. So it's definitely a crossbody. It definitely screams reliever. Very seldom can a picture do this like Chris Sales like the only one I've ever seen do that with success. So yeah, I think he is absolutely a reliever. I wonder if this is just yes, maybe they are trying him out as a starter, but like they know that they want to get two or three innings from him just to see how he looks, and then they're getting him out. Maybe that's not necessarily indicative of him being a starter as much as it is just they want to get him in and he's had nine game. Yeah, He's had nine appearances for the Complex League. Like, at what point do you try to get him to Low A or High A. I mean, the Rangers are known for being pretty slow with their development timelines, Like AJ Russell just got promoted to High A. That should have happened like two months ago, right, So Ben abelt like, yeah, they might actually be trying him as a starter. I just I don't see that happening. I think he's a leader, he could be a good one, but yeah, I think he's a I think he's a reliever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think this is just kind of easing him back in. I think next year, you know, two years away from the surgery, we're going to see him move pretty quickly for sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean definitely intriguing stuff. He might be a bit of a loogie though, Like I I think Righty's are gonna have a field day kind of picking things, you know, before he pitches the ball, Like, I think they're gonna be able to quickly id what exactly he's throwing. Maybe I'm off on that, but he could be unhittable to the lefties and in a big exploitation against Rioty's.
Speaker 1: Yeah, in my opinion, Well, Smith, we made it. We made it all the way through every level. Thank you so much. And before we go, I really want to give a shout out to the guys that that filled in a couple of weeks ago. Liam ben Eli, thanks, Yeah, thanks to you guys stepping out looking forward. Got the draft coming up. Maybe we'll do some draft coverage.
Speaker 2: Proud of Liam, you know, shout out to Liam. I know him for many years. He was always really good at writing scouting reports. I thought he was kind of crazy and insane for some of his takes, but he's bold enough to write about it. And I always said, like, man, like you should get into writing. And I don't know if it was like, oh I don't know if I can, or it was I don't know if I want to. But yeah, man, he's killing it with the draft coverage.
Speaker 1: She is. He did a great job on the podcast. The names he brought up, I had to look him up and they were really interesting names. He did a great job. So yeah, yeah, all right, Well that's going to wrap it up for us for another episode. Smith, thank you again for joining me. Thank you to our listeners. Join us again in a couple of weeks and we'll be back for another episode of He Check see y'all