Speaker 1: This podcast is intended for mature audiences. Listener discretion is advised.
Speaker 2: And all the rest of them walked back in there. They never didn't say no more about her. That was just mad. You could see the anger on her face. Did you ever see her again? Not after that? I don't know what they do.
Speaker 3: Do you see her the next day?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 2: I don't know what they don't for a body. They just told me I wanted if we opened up saying thing about what we say that they would kill us. I do the same thing those and we we're scared. And I still I'm scared.
Speaker 5: Where you don't need to you're saying.
Speaker 1: Around the time Kelly Wilson disappeared from the piney woods of East Texas, some country folks in Gilmer got in trouble with the law. The Curs, often referred to as the Kerr Clan. There were a bunch of them, a big incestuous family living in shacks and trailers and a kind of run down compound on Cherokee Trace, the same winding road where search parties would eventually comb the woods for any sign of Kelly Wilson. The problems for the Curs started in the fall of nineteen ninety when one of the brothers, this guy Wendell, left his wife Loretta for a younger woman. Loretta reported Wendell to the authorities, said he'd been abusing their four kids. The new woman in Wendell's life, her name was Wanda. She brought her own baggage. Wanda's brother, Lucas, was a molester too. He'd abused Wanda's kid from her previous relationship with a guy named Bad Jimmy. It was a tangled web. A caseworker from Child Protective Services stepped in.
Speaker 6: Yes, sir, Hey, my.
Speaker 1: Name is Wes Ferguson. I'm a journalist. I'm working on a project about the Kelly Wilson case and looking.
Speaker 4: For Ann Gore.
Speaker 7: Is that you?
Speaker 1: That was Anne when I knocked. You'll hear about her throughout the series. Anne Gore, the caseworker, was a deeply religious woman from Gilmer. The abuse she uncovered was more than alarming. Thanks in part to Anne's efforts, Wendell and Lucas were arrested and they both got ten years probation. Less than a year after that slap on the wrist, Wendell and his new flame, Wanda got married. Their wedding took place on the Kerr family compound on Cherokee Trace. Just days later, CPS filed to remove the kids from the home of the convicted sex offender. In court, Wanda also admitted that she had abused her own sons from infancy. It was all horrifying. By now, the investigation into the Curs had sprawled throughout the family. Allegations went up to the grandparents, Eugene and Geneva Kerr, a multi generational legacy of incest and abuse. Some things about the case weren't just appalling, they were bizarre. One night, Anne took some of the Kirk kids to dinner. They had been singing and playing games. On the drive back to Gilmer, one of the young girls became very quiet.
Speaker 8: All of a sudden, she got real serious. I want to know how Anne fields about Jesus. Then she said, do you like Jesus?
Speaker 1: This is recreated from an interview and gave in nineteen ninety five with contact an alternative newspaper and declined to speak with me on them. So you're hearing from my friend Beverly reading the voice of Ann.
Speaker 8: I said, yes, I like Jesus. And she told me she didn't like him, and I asked her why and she said because he sexually abuses the angels.
Speaker 1: Anne was shocked. She asked, who in the world told you something like that?
Speaker 8: And she said, nobody told me that. I saw him do it. I was an angel.
Speaker 1: By now there were more than a dozen Kirk kids and stepkids and foster care. One day, they all went to a birthday party. The children strangely began to chant around the candles on the cake.
Speaker 8: The youngest one said, the Devil's coming and he got his fingers all perched up in a claw like form and said he scratched me and he get blood.
Speaker 1: Hearing this, now, sure, it's kind of dark, but mostly it just sounds like silly kids who might have watched a scary movie or two. This child was only three years old, though by now Anne was highly attuned to other disturbing things the kids were talking about. As the children kept opening up to Anne and their foster parents, the stories became more gruesome, more explicit.
Speaker 8: Eating body parts, drinking blood.
Speaker 1: Child trafficking, demonic rituals, killing babies in the woods. The worst crimes were rumored to be happening at the Kerr place off the dark trail of Cherokee. Trace Anne and her caseworker colleague, Debbie Minshew, knew how to handle child abuse claims. Sadly, those were all too common. The Satan stuff, though, that was beyond their scope. That's when CPS brought in a state cop, Steve Baggs, to take over the kr case. Bags had been involved in some recent investigations of murderous cults and he was about to retire from the Texas Department of Public Safety. Needing backup, Bags turned to a police chaplain from Louisiana named Brooks Flag, who fashioned himself an expert on Satanic rituals. Bags and Flag the dynamic duo. They interrogate Wanda's brother, Lucas, who admits to being part of a group that sacrificed children and babies. To prove he's telling the truth, Lucas even takes a light detector test.
Speaker 9: He told several girls that they had kidnapped, tortured, and raped and eventually killed, and he passed the polygraph examined with flying covers.
Speaker 1: That's Melvin Dodd, a Gilmer school teacher at the time. Melvin would become a key player in the Kelly Wilson saga. You'll hear plenty from Melvin in this episode. During a search of the Kerk Place, cadaver dogs alerted on a particular shed in the backyard.
Speaker 9: And it had shackles in there where you could, you know, like handcuff somebody to the wall, and there were cat and nine tail whips in there and all kinds of satanic stuff.
Speaker 1: The shed made the local news at.
Speaker 10: A storage shed belonging to the Kerr families in the hands of investigators to night. Police are keeping mom about where the shed is and what they'll do with it, but forensic experts believe the shed will undergo a battery of extensive tests for evidence.
Speaker 11: Partial listing of what they found inside and are labeling as evidence. Inside the shed a pickup truck toolbox also found on the floor and walls of the shed were hair. Hair was also found in a wood rail and rope, and there was a cat of nine tails made of metal.
Speaker 1: The investigators were closing in building their case. From Imperative Entertainment, I'm west Ferguson. This is Deviltown. This is chapter three in the woods. Talking to folks in Gilmer, I keep hearing whispers about the Kerr family, about Sergeant Brown. Other prominent names that come up repeatedly, and I'm trying to check out all of them. Hardly anybody wants to talk on the record, and I can't say I blame them. But there's an exception, John Melvin Dodd, the retired school teacher. Several Gilmer residents who wouldn't put their own names out there said I should try him instead, seeing as Melvin is a charter member of the Justice for Kelly Wilson Committee, which we'll get to soon enough. So I called Melvin. Here's a man who speaks his mind.
Speaker 9: I'll tell you what you're taking on project. I hope he makes some money. We were taking on a monstrous project. I thought about writing a book about myself, but gosh, I'm never dead, and I'm eighty years old. I'm not going too now, but I guarantee I'll be very happy to help you, really and truly. We're just kind of scratching the surface.
Speaker 1: Back to that shed in the curves backyard. Shackles and whips. From what I've read, it was more like straps and ropes, some rubber tie downs and insulated electrical wire and that cat of nine tails, which is a little weird at any rate. The investigators also discovered a long trail looping through the woods behind the house, which they saw as some kind of ritualistic footpath, and they thought it might be home to shallow graves. By now the case had expanded beyond the Kerr family. Wanda's sons claimed that one of the neighbor kids had also been involved in the abuse. This seven year old kid named Raymond. Normally I wouldn't name a minor victim like this, but Raymond gave the okay. CPS took Raymond and his little brother, who was just a toddler at the time, and placed them in foster care. Their foster mom was named Barbara Bass. She had a ton of kids in her care.
Speaker 9: She had been the East Texas Foster Parent of the Year I think the year before, and she had been given custody of Raymond Smith during this and so she and Anne Gore and Debbie Minsh took Raymond to the Dairy Queen And while Raymond is there eating, he casually says, I don't know what happened to Kelly Wilson.
Speaker 1: Seven year old Raymond claimed the curs had abducted Kelly Wilson, the local girl that hadn't been seen at this point in a year and a half. And not only that, he said the curs they'd killed her.
Speaker 9: That's how all of this started. Raymond Smith told about how they would go out there and the beat Kelly and a raped her and all this kind of stuff. And there were other kids, mostly girls, who were brought in by the truck drivers in the family, and they would do this to them and kill them.
Speaker 1: And Gore and her fellow caseworker, Debbie Minshew shared Raymond's claims with Gilmer police Sergeant James York Brown, who'd been leading the unrelated so far search for Kelly.
Speaker 9: James Brown is the policeman who was assigned to investigate. So they took it to James Brown. Well, two or three days later, they hadn't even heard from James Brown, so they go see James Brown and he told them you stay out in my case, if you don't, I will destroy you and I'll destroy the kid.
Speaker 1: To be honest, it's hard for me to comprehend that James Brown ever said this, but it's pretty much exactly how En Gore has described their exchange in that interview she gave for contact newspaper Brown it seems wanted no one coming close to his investigation. By now, the investigation into the Curs was really heating up. It was August ninety three going into September. The Curves were heading toward a criminal trial on dozens of sex abuse charges.
Speaker 3: Now I got a phone call from I believe it was Anne Gore, who was with the Job Protective Services. She told me that they had a bunch of molestation cases involving an extended family in Gilmer, the Curves, as well as some other folks who were associated with them.
Speaker 1: This is Shane Phelps. At the time, he was an Assistant Attorney General for the state of Texas. Shane had just been named the chief of a brand new division in the AG's office, set up to assist local prosecutors, and they need extra help.
Speaker 3: So I asked her, you know, what kind of cases are we talking about? What are they going to trial? Because this is the kind of thing we did. I mean, the attorney, the district attorney of that jurisdiction, Upshire County, apparently discovered that he had a conflict and so he almost at the last minute said I can't handle these cases. As it turned out, there were some forty five indictments involving about six or seven people, which is a ton of cases. I mean, that's an extraordinarily complex and difficult case to prepare and get the trial or trials. So when I asked her, well, when is this thing except for trial? As I recall, it is very quickly. It wasn't the next week, but it was very It was on the trial dock and already it may have been a month out, and I just said, look, I've got a capital murder case I'm handling right now, I'm staffing this office. I'm just taking over. We just can't take that case of that magnitude on at this time. Was there anything about the Satanics at that point, No, No, it was just a molestation, sexual assault, indecency with a child involving these children. She didn't give me any details since she certainly didn't mention anything at all about the Satanic stuff. She did mention that they had made contact with a lawyer named Scott Leiford. I think he was out of Galveston. It was a civil lawyer.
Speaker 1: Scott Lefford was indeed a civil lawyer, but he'd worked on child abuse cases earlier in his career. With Shane Phelps unable to help, Lyford was appointed special prosecutor. The first thing he did was appoint Bags and Flag as special prosecutors. Next, Bags and Flag got named special investigators for the Sheriff's office too, and just like that the team had real power power to unravel the story.
Speaker 5: It is about five minutes until six on Thursday, December the ninth, nineteen ninety three.
Speaker 6: We're with Connie Martin.
Speaker 5: Also here is Debbie Minshew, Steve Baggs, Brookes Flagg, and myself, Scott Leifert. We've been talking to Connie Martin on and off most of the afternoon. Her lawyers here in the jail and insisted with her on several occasions. And we're going to go over again some things now that she just told us and gotten off her chest.
Speaker 12: And Steve, I'll that you y'all pick up where you are, Okay, Connie, where are you gonna start? You wanna start at the trace or at NTV where she was picked up.
Speaker 1: Connie Martin, she was the common law wife of Danny Kerr. When a bunch of the curs were getting rounded up Connie was arrested too. You heard Connie at the top of this episode. Here she is again talking with Steve Baggs about the abduction of Kelly.
Speaker 2: Kelly got in a van, a white van with the MTV. It was right beside the video clubs.
Speaker 13: We went from there out to Geneva's house on Cherokee Trace. Danny and all of them was We was all sitting in the kitchen. I was sitting beside Kelly. They asked Kelly if Danny and Wanda had asked Kelly if she wanted to go outside, and she said yes, so they followed her out the door.
Speaker 1: According to Connie, Kelly had been friends with Danny Kerr, so it wasn't strange for her to get into Danny's van or for her to visit the Kerrs house in the woods. Connie said they were coerced into group sex after they.
Speaker 13: Made up that they made a man wanted to put her clothes back on, made us take the children back.
Speaker 2: To the finals.
Speaker 12: Did you ever see her again?
Speaker 3: Not after that?
Speaker 2: I don't know what. They didn't move. Do you see her the next day?
Speaker 4: No, I don't know what.
Speaker 2: The don't tell m They just told men Wanda. If we opened up say anything about what we say that say kill os. They are very violent.
Speaker 13: No, if they had threatened to kill money, if I open my mouth, they have threatened to kill Wanda. I had to sing marks on Wanda's throw, and I asked Wanda what happened to her throw, and she would tell me, I don't know.
Speaker 1: She was scared to tell me or what we heard about Wanda earlier. She's the wife of Wendell Kerr, and she'd already confessed to abusing her own sons. The Lifer team grilled Wanda for hours. Eventually she cracked. The team even escorted her out of jail so she could show them around the Kerr place where their heinous crimes supposedly went down. Wanda said Kelly was a birthday present for Geneva, the matriarch of the Kerr clan. She said, Danny and a few of the other Kerr family members pulled up beside the movie store, and Kelly came over to their van. Here's Wanda with investigator Steve Baggs. The story she tells is kind of similar to her sister in law Connie's.
Speaker 6: Did she lean in the window now, she just stood there. Okay, what did Danny say?
Speaker 4: Danny ask her, which do you would you like to go out and meet my mother, Geneva Man?
Speaker 6: Then what did Kelly say?
Speaker 2: Kelly did okay?
Speaker 1: Sure, Wanda said. The van took Kelly to the Kerr compound on Cherokee Trace. Everybody gathered around Geneva's kitchen.
Speaker 6: How long were you there for? The conversation got the van a few minutes.
Speaker 4: Danny told Kelly that his mom wants to talk to her. Kelly went over there as mom asked if she would take her clothes off, she said no, and that's where the arguments though.
Speaker 2: She was stunned.
Speaker 4: She was stunned. Yeah, I didn't know what was going on. Somebody spoke up said it was just a joke. It was just picking on you, and asked would you like to go outside and walk around to her? Cut off a little bit?
Speaker 6: Went out the door first I did, and you went out the door and then came out behind.
Speaker 4: You, Kelly, she was right there behind the story.
Speaker 2: Did you go out the back door?
Speaker 6: Back door?
Speaker 4: Always the back door stood outside right there at the back backsteps till everybody got out there. Then it was just like walking around it started out towards stuff.
Speaker 2: The peach trees.
Speaker 4: It's out there, uh, past the clothesline a little bit. Jenny would wanting to show her her peach trees, the one you playing, right, Wanda, to show our page. Jason to me at Saint Laco's Sun. Your mind occupied, That's what it seemed like to me.
Speaker 1: Kelly and the Currs ended up deeper in the woods. At this point in the interview, Steve Baggs asks Wanda about the names of other people who are over there that night. Then the recording ends. So while Bags and Flag are doing their thing, you got to remember that Sergeant James York Brown is still heading up the original search for Kelly Wilson. Although Sergeant Brown was initially dismissive of the curR connection, he went ahead and interviewed Wanda's brother Lucas. Remember, Lucas had told Bags and Flag that he'd been part of the cult that sacrificed babies and children. He'd even passed a polygraph. Now, though Lucas had a different story, He told Sergeant Brown that he made all that up. Brown also talked to Wendell Kerr. According to the Special Prosecutors, Star witnesses. Wendell had been on the scene when the Curs kidnapped Kelly. The way they told it, he was practically the ringleader of the Devil cult. But Wendell was a truck driver. He'd been hauling freight on the East Coast on the night Kelly Wilson disappeared from the video store in Gilmert, Texas, and Wendell had the receipts to prove it. Brown took his findings to Scott Lefford. Now it was Lifford's turn to be dismissive. If the Currs were capable of demonic sacrifices, they were capable of anything, and that includes the relatively simple task of forging a bunch of receipts. Sergeant James Brown wasn't buying it. He wouldn't back down.
Speaker 14: I mean, I knew they hit false fied information and falseified evidences stiff in those channel cases.
Speaker 2: That they were in on that at the time.
Speaker 1: That's Sergeant Brown just to be He's accusing the life or team of falsifying evidence here. I'm not aware of them doing that. Lots of different interpretations though, and I told him that when.
Speaker 14: They went to court, I don't justify an instant And as it built up, he turned around and fretted me that he would ruin me and destroying the whole livelihood everything else politically and all.
Speaker 3: Of course I.
Speaker 6: Didn't think he could do it.
Speaker 14: And when they lied about those things, and then they lied about the evidence, you know, so we're gonna said when you falsify evidence, you make up evidence, and you present it to somebody like a grand jury.
Speaker 2: They don't know what they did do and didn't do.
Speaker 6: And that's the sad part of that. They lied completely.
Speaker 14: And then that's how they and some guy says Menian to him because they said, well, if we didn't get him killed, is why I looked at them.
Speaker 6: They walk away as white knights.
Speaker 1: Wait, was the Lifer team trying to kill Sergeant Brown? I think he means they were trying to kill his case. Rival investigations were heading straight toward a collision. On the one hand, there was Scott Lefford with investigators Bags and Flag, joined by caseworkers An Gore and Debbie Minshew, and on the other Sergeant James Brown keeping his version of the case to himself. Meanwhile, CPS had to do something with all those Kerr kids. Some of the kids went with Barbara Bass, the foster parent of the year who I mentioned earlier in the episode. Others ended up with an older couple named James and Marie Lappie. James and Marie were actually so afraid of the Kerr family they fled with their ten foster kids to the West Texas town of Colorado City, trying to put a ton of distance between themselves and the supposed devil cult In Gilmer. James and Marie built a tall fence to keep the kids in. They homeschooled the kids and even brought in this guy, Dan Sullivan, to teach Sunday school.
Speaker 7: And it became clear to Dan Sullivan that the children had been deprived.
Speaker 3: She said that.
Speaker 15: They had been through so much and she wanted to give them a treat with moving and all the stress and everything, and she was going to take them all to the grocery store and let them get whatever they wanted as a treat to eat.
Speaker 3: And they went to the dog food section.
Speaker 15: That was there a treat to them. Was she afraid of having the children interact with other children when they first came to Colorado City, Yes, absolutely, because the children were taught to abuse other children and hurt and name of their children. She told us that they knew the older boys knew how to kill and field as a baby a baby, a baby Yesterdir.
Speaker 1: Of the dozen or more Kirk kids placed in foster care, one was a seven year old boy named Danny Kerr Junior. In November nineteen ninety three, his foster dad, James Lappie, slapped Danny in the face and repeatedly slammed his head against the wooden floor of their home. Other foster kids who witnessed the assault described the back of Danny's head in gruesome detail. Here's Shane Phelps again describing the injury.
Speaker 3: I understanding was that there was a blow to his head or series of blows to his head. It basically reduced his head to mush and it was a horrible injury.
Speaker 1: The same day he injured Danny Junior, James Lappie wrote a note claiming that he had merely fallen on the child, while admitting quote if that boy dies, it will be my fault. James Lappie then shot himself to death in his own backyard. James's wife, Marie was next to die.
Speaker 13: Two days later.
Speaker 7: In his office at the Colorado City Record, reporter Wade Warren was listening to his police scanner.
Speaker 16: There's a nine to one one call at Saint Mandris.
Speaker 1: So I went up there and.
Speaker 16: Found the I got there right after the police department did, and in the JPE and found, you know, found that he had committees apparently committed suicide with the woes of Peel prescription drugs awful.
Speaker 1: As for poor Danny Junior, he was left severely impaired. From what I understand, he never recovered, spending the rest of his days and assisted living. Danny Junior died in twenty eleven at the age of twenty four. Okay, I know I've thrown a lot of names at you. Here's another Tammy manis Tammy was a bus driver for the Kirk kids when they were in foster care.
Speaker 17: I was driving a school bus in nineteen ninety two for Gilmour Independent School District and I had some children on my bus, small children, and mentioned something to the effect of knowing what had happened to Kelly Wilson. And I called and reported that to Sergeant Brown that evening. I never heard anything back. Sergeant Brown didn't seem that concerned as to where the children lived at that time, and as the case progressed, you know, there was really nothing until January of this year, whenever he was indicted.
Speaker 1: So Tammy was already suspicious of Sergeant Brown. When she got her hands on some secret documents provided to the grand jury, she saw a cover up. So Tammy got together with our friend Melvin, the Gilmer school teacher, and yet another investigative team was born.
Speaker 9: I barely knew Tammy. She had driven the school bus that my kids wrote on. We called it the Justice for Kelly Wilson Committee, and the oldest and the youngest Curs were members of our committee.
Speaker 1: Daughters, two of the Kerr sisters, were both adults when all this was going down. They declined to speak with me, but I did read a couple of interviews they gave back in the nineties where they claimed to have been abused by their family members. Marie Kerr even talked at a couple of news conferences.
Speaker 8: My parents and my brothers put me through the same thing as these kids are saying, and I don't I want to check my nieces and nephews. This is why I'm fighting so hard.
Speaker 16: I get quote my parents, my.
Speaker 9: Brothers, and you know, the both said, well, well, all this child molestation was going on, we underwent it, their satanic worship, every bit of this. So and yes, they did kidnap and murder Kelly Wilson. So we wound up meeting interviewing the people. And you know, when you're doing this, most of the people were involved in drugs themselves. That's why they knew about all of this. Nobody was ever interested in what we were told. They were totally uninterested in what we were looking for because they were trying to cover up what was going on and trying to blame Chris din for her murder.
Speaker 1: Chris Denton, you may remember, was a boyfriend of Kelly's. We'll take a closer look at him later. James Brown saw Chris as a prime suspect and that was going to be the focus of the investigation he was running. At first, it seems like Kelly's mom, Kathy, was inclined go along.
Speaker 9: With that hunch James Brown. Kathy totally trusted because James Brown was coming by her house every day two three telling her leads that he had how he was investigating these and she just had total confidence in James Brown.
Speaker 1: Kathy changed her mind though, when details from the interrogation of Connie Martin began to come out.
Speaker 9: Connie Martin just sang like a bird and she started giving details. Connie really noticed things and was mentioned things that the average person probably wouldn't.
Speaker 1: For example, Connie was said to have noticed a particular detail about the Rugby shirt that Kelly was wearing on the night she disappeared.
Speaker 9: She described the shirt she was wearing, and she said it had rubber buttons on. Kathy knew then Connie Martin's down truth because she was wearing a Rugby shirt and Rugby shirts have rubber buttons on. Kathy knew that there was no way in the world Knnie Marten would come up with that detail unless Knnie Marten was there, So she knew right the end James Brown had been lying all this time. So that's when Kathy Carlson joined with Tammy and Glenn Leech.
Speaker 3: Then Lee.
Speaker 1: Kathy was now a member of the Justice for Kelly Wilson group. Glenn was another member who was really good at research. Melvin says the group kept hearing whispers about James Brown. I wasn't able to confirm them but the rumors were certainly flying around Gilmer. At one point, the Justice for Kelly Wilson group got their hands on the security camera footage from the bank where someone had made the deposit after Kelly's shift at the video store.
Speaker 9: Now, I've got a double first cousin whose son was an Apple computer freak at this time. He was into all kinds of graphics, crazy looking pictures and everything like that. The boy, he was a guru when it came to using an Apple computer.
Speaker 1: A double cousin is when two siblings from one family married two siblings from another family, and both couples have kids. The son of Melvin's double cousin was able to enhance the video quality, revealing more detail.
Speaker 9: A van pulled in there, and a man got out and made a deposit. And this man, I guarantee you was James Brown in a Gilmer police uniform. Now, James Brown always wore real dark sunglasses day and night. There's no question it was James Brown. Well, now, this was an old enough fan that the side windows were just clear glass. You know, nowadays even the side winners are so dark it's hard to see anybody in there. But there was an old woman sitting right behind James Brown, and she put her face up to the clear glass of the window, and that was Janeva Kerr, the old lady.
Speaker 1: I'm still trying to get my hands on the security footage so I can make up my own mind on this one. But Cathy also found it suspicious that James Brown had refused to take part in a citizen search she'd organized on the Cherokee Trace the month after her daughter went missing. Was the proximity to the curR home just too close for comfort?
Speaker 7: My husband and I had conducted a citizen search in February ninety two short left Kelly disappeared, with many, many, many of the townspeople going with us and participating, which was outside the city limits.
Speaker 2: And we asked Sergeant Brown, why can't.
Speaker 7: You help us on this, and he said, it's outside my jurisdiction.
Speaker 17: He wouldn't on that particular search, which was the closest to the guitar residents where they found where Life Its team found some evidence human hair.
Speaker 2: Human blood.
Speaker 1: Melvin also deduced the Kurz motives for their alleged crimes based on something he believes Connie Martin said when being grilled by Bags and Flag.
Speaker 9: Connie Martin talked about watchers in the woods. Out in the woods where they had this. It was greatly worn down, and they had people who were allowed to come there, but there were others who had just watched from the woods. And we interviewed several people who were watchers in the woods and seeing all these satanic rituals take place. And of course it's just like, you know, I used to just be amazed at the children of Israel in the Old Testament. Now why did they so easily, so quickly referred back to paganistic worship. Well, flip about the major draw, It was all of the sex they had. And that's the draw of the satanic rituals, is all the sex they have.
Speaker 1: Meanwhile, the Lifer team was also making headway in its parallel investigation of the curs which now included Sergeant Brown. Bags and Flag took several statements from Gilmer residents who claimed to have seen James Brown or a police officer who looked like him with various members of the Kerr family. While excavating another clearing where the ritual sacrifices supposedly took place, they found a piece of bone in the dirt lab testing suggested it was from the leg of a subadult human, as in maybe Kelly. The deeper they dug into the case, the more the Lifer team was getting spooked. One night, they were having dinner when the phone rang. The only sound on the other end of the line was of a baby crying, which they found really disturbing. The Lifer team ended up going into hiding, setting up headquarters at an undisclosed location in the country way outside of town. Remember, the Lifer team is just five people, a couple of social workers, a retired state cop and police chaplain, and a civil lawyer. They desperately needed back up.
Speaker 3: At some point, Scott called me Scott Leifer, and I had a long conversation with him and told him, here's my home number in my office numbers.
Speaker 1: This is Shane Phelps again with the Attorney General's office.
Speaker 3: Call me if there's anything you need at all. I'd be glad to help you, because it was pretty clear to me that he had limited experience in prosecution at the time. Just based on our conversation, it sounded to be like he needed him, which is why I offered it and assistance here offer. So he called me at one point, and I've talked him through some of the complexities had on those kind of cases, and particularly on the criminal side. It offered our assistance. You need anything at all, call any time, We'll make ourselves available to you.
Speaker 1: That was in the fall of ninety three. One morning in January, Shane was flipping through the day's news clippings when a story caught in by surprise, k.
Speaker 11: LTV, how do we seven, This is East Texas News at six.
Speaker 10: Arraignments today in the case of a missing gilmertine, good evening, thanks for joining us.
Speaker 3: My next recollection of becoming involved in the Gilmer case was I think it was in January of that next year, which would have been ninety four. I saw this article about an indictment of all of these people the kurs. I noticed Scott Leffer's name. I said, well, that's peculiar because it was talking about indicting all these people for death penalty offenses. I think it was murder, aggravated sexual assault, aggravated kidnapping, and mentioned Kelly Wilson. I had no hint of I didn't even know who Kelly Wilson was at this time, so I kind of raised my eyebrows. Was I wonder what's going on in Gilbert.
Speaker 1: Within days, a state politician from Gilmer named Bob Glaze was reaching out to the AG's office asking for help. Team Lyford wasn't just coming after Sergeant Brown anymore. Lyford and crew were setting their sights on anyone who stood in their way, including the town's big wigs. Gilmer's civic leaders were embarrassed and they wanted this case to go away. Shane, Phelps's immediate supervisor, asked him to take another look.
Speaker 3: The nature of the request was, you know, we need somebody to come in here and stop what's going on, because their perception was that Upshire County and Gilbert particularly were being made a laughing stock across the country. That was the first time I got the hint that there was anything about, you know, satanic covens and things like that. And obviously that was so far afield of the original conversation I had with Anne Gore.
Speaker 1: On the flight from Austin to Gilmer, Shane read a report about the case. The report didn't say who it was written by, but Shane has always assumed the author was Scott Lefford, the special prosecutor, and it.
Speaker 3: Was pretty wild. It told this tale of the Satanic coven that was operating in Upshur County, and they were kidnapping teenage hitchhiker girls, they were sacrificing babies, they were they were in cannibalism. I mean, it was just wild, and there was just enough in there that I thought, oh God, if any of this is true, Oh this is insane.
Speaker 1: If reading about the case was insane, just wait till he landed in Gilmer. That's next time on Deviltown. Deviltown is a production of Imperative Entertainment. It was written and created by me Wes Ferguson. Executive producer is Jason Hoak. Audio engineering and editing by Shane Freeman and Jason Hoak. Original score is by Robert Ellis. Recording by Austin Sisler at east Side Studios. If you like the show, leave a review and don't forget to tell your friends thanks for listening.