Speaker 1: Welcome to the Parenting Roundabout podcast. I'm Terry Morrow and I'm Catherine Jileco. As parents and parenting writers, we can't help but see everything through a parenting lens. But as our kids have become adults, we find ourselves more interested in getting caught up on movies and streaming than I'm going over the same parenting topics over and over.
Speaker 2: So since we're pretty sure we can find parenting wisdom anywhere, we're going to talk about what we're watching, what we thought about it, and maybe what we can learn from it, if only what not to do. Watch and listen along, and let's all make like we're doing something important for our families. Each Wednesday we bring you our thoughts on a newer entertainment property, and for this week of March thirty, first, we're continuing with Running Point on Netflix with episode two called Joe Peschi.
Speaker 1: Which did not feature Joe Pesche in it. I thought maybe he was going to show up. I thought this was going to be the titling convention of the show, as they would have a guest star every week and that they would get the name of the episode. But no, yes, it's just referencing his performance in Casino, which I also have not seen, and a way of being rough in your dealings with a tough negotiator, right, being a tough negotiator threatening people.
Speaker 2: Yes, I also thought that that maybe he would show up, like I thought that it was going to be guest stars too, But no.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, Joe Pashi, that's a pretty big guest star for the first time. Good for them.
Speaker 2: Yes, well, we could have looked at the title of the next one and realized that wasn't going to continue. But oh well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we just like looking at one episode. Yeah, you don't except unlost when we will go on Lost PDIA and just sort of look at everything.
Speaker 2: No, yes, so so yes we had, you know, continuing adventures of Aila seeming like a dummy and then pulling out some major scheme because she's looking at things in new ways, you know, because she's she's not the old you know, boys club. She's she's like, hey, women watch basketball, get get this. Women are fans, So women, little girl, they don't just go to Sephora, They actually watch.
Speaker 1: Do you go to Sephora? Sephora is a thing that I sort of don't get.
Speaker 2: No, I don't really, I mean I just don't go to them, go to the mall period. But yes, my daughter would go for sure. And now that actually Sephora's inside of Coles once Anile, that's where I see it most. I will scares me a little bit, possibly stop by if I happen to be at Cohle's and I happen to feel like I need something from that area, which is rare. But yes, I mean I've been there.
Speaker 1: Is it just makeup or is it skincare as well with.
Speaker 2: Skincare too, Okay? Yeah, like girls various potions and serums and stuff like that.
Speaker 1: I neither wear makeup nor use serums, so I just sort of walk by front of the.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would say that most of the stuff that I end up buying in that arena is because I've edited some article on you know, the ten best eyelash primers and the sixteen best hyaluronic acid serums and all that stuff.
Speaker 1: See, those things just make me want to never go. I am so far from needing an eyelash that it's like I feel like a guy probably feels like walk in front of before I go all this stuff. I don't want to know.
Speaker 2: It's true.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it just griefs me out a little. But good good, UH interesting product placement for them to be on this show and UH basketball team sponsored by UH women's cosmetic products an interesting you know, possibly better than beds mattresses.
Speaker 2: Exactly. But I didn't think she needed to, you know, go postal on the mattress mascot in the guy's office. That seemed a little got massive. Leave Marty the mattress out.
Speaker 1: Of it or whatever. Yes, I were attacking her family. I don't know most of her family could deserve to be attacked. And she's not always the sharpest knife in the drawer either, so she has we find out now that she has a fiance. Oh did I forget to mention him?
Speaker 2: Yes, yes you did.
Speaker 1: You did forget. I knew that Max Greenfield was on this show, but I had forgotten him until he.
Speaker 2: So, hey, man, there.
Speaker 1: I don't think you're gonna get much screen. Enjoy yourself.
Speaker 2: I was reading a little something about this about this show, and they were very frustrated with like why did they always make her into such a klutz, Like, you know, Kate Hudson's good at the physical comedy and whatever, but like two out of two episodes she's either you know, been knocked down, fallen over, hurt herself in some way. And you know this is not we don't need it, you know, like.
Speaker 1: No, it's like they have to make her they have to make her a buffoon, yeah, even though they also want to make her the smartest person. And why couldn't she just be that? I guess it's just the kind of humor they're going for a little bit broad, broad in both senses. But yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, yes, I get it.
Speaker 1: It's she has a stunt double that she likes to keep employing. Says, you gotta you gotta give me at least one spectacular physical disaster each episode so that my my, uh my stunt double hair can get a paycheck. Write it in. So that's fine, that's that's the kind of coming together as a family.
Speaker 2: Yeah, not gonna just take the payout and away, huh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which is because take the take the pay out and go away, you're out of the show. You know, find a way to stick around and you get full how many episodes? Right, Yes, we certainly knew that was character and that actor.
Speaker 2: We certainly knew that was coming. Right, that the brother the surprise half younger brother would.
Speaker 1: Get described as shrapnel from the d by one of the brothers.
Speaker 2: Yes, that he would be invited to go away for the sum of two million dollars and then he would he would not do it because he wants a family.
Speaker 1: He wants a family.
Speaker 2: I don't know you could buy yourself a family for two million bucks.
Speaker 1: You really could. Although I think his his cousin's taking a cut.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I did feel bad for her. She's like, but I already bought a car. I thought I was.
Speaker 1: You should still get some money as a member of the family. Maybe he's just going to get to you can't keep working in the concession stand now that he's been busted on TV.
Speaker 2: Yes, well, I think we can assume that Iola will find something for him to.
Speaker 1: Do, and she should because then there will be a family member who is loyal to right and she could use y.
Speaker 2: Yes, absolutely, because.
Speaker 1: Gam is just dealing with his own thing and the other two are weasels.
Speaker 2: So also, Cam like he's in rehab, right, but he keeps coming out for these meetings Like That's not how rehab works, is it?
Speaker 1: And I think that's how it works.
Speaker 2: If you recall from brothers and sisters where Justin was in probably the same rehab facility that yeah, that Cam is in.
Speaker 1: He had to stay, yeah he did. They had to come to him, which they did one time here. But yeah, I you know, the lack of complete versimilitude in this just takes you right out of it.
Speaker 2: Yes, Brenda Song continues to be wonderful.
Speaker 1: I think, yes, yes, she is very good in this and it's enjoyable to stall hear her cursing and see her standing up for her boss. And I was going to bring up the last time and I forgot that she is now I'm unclear to me whether she's married to, but definitely partnered with macaulay culture. So all your all your child's uh you know, actor friends from the old days, all those memories come together, London, Tipton and the kid from Home alone. Yeah, it's fairly delightful.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think do they have kids?
Speaker 1: I think they have two. I think they have two kids. I keep looking it up online and different sources say different things. So IMDP doesn't have them married, but actually I think her IMDb page doesn't, but his does or something like that. I looked at Wikipedia. That's just unclear but they definitely do have children together, and there was some promotional stuff for running Point that had her answering questions about him. So they're definitely a couple. However that in this modern day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, according to People magazine they have two kids. Well there's even a picture of one of them. He looks like a perfect mix of the two of them. But yeah, unclear. Oh. In September twenty twenty two, she opened up to people about her I think planning process.
Speaker 1: Yes, they're engaged, being engaged, but they as of twenty twenty two. It is now twenty twenty five. Presumably something would have happened. But anyway, you kids, you do you whatever, whatever it is, as long as you seem to be a happy couple and parenting together. So you know, it's adorable, But so what can we learn about parenting from it? Yikes, don't have a secret child to one another. Yeah, don't have a secret child for sure, if you do introduce them earlier than long after your death, when the siblings are all miserable adults and not likely to welcome a newcomer to the ranks. And also, siblings will sabotage each other in big ways like this, and in small ways, yes, like you're dealing with now with your children, right, and it is annoying and often, you know, borderline heartbreaking to see them ganging upon each other. But it's still it's gonna happen. It's normal a little pass. Weren't you saying that when you were growing up, it's like three kids, two are only going to be against one of them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean we definitely like and we do get along really well now, But for sure, it was like you would either have the two older ones against the younger one, or the two younger ones against the older one, or the two girls against the boy, or you know, there was always all these permutations. Definitely that could Yeah, and I mean, now there's five of these of these siblings, but there were three from the first marriage, it seems like, then one from the second and one from the affair. So yeah, right, maybe there's more.
Speaker 1: Who knows that's true if they keep going and every single brings.
Speaker 2: Out a neighbors.
Speaker 1: Oh dear, it doesn't sound like the like, given what we know about their father, that that's unlikely. Yeah, so exactly they're gonna hear Oh wait, somebody can come out of the woodwork. And claim a spot in that family.
Speaker 2: See how I can get it on this business? Yeah?
Speaker 1: And uh. And you know you want to as a parent, live your life in such a way that after you are gone there will be no shrapnel.
Speaker 2: Yikes.
Speaker 1: Try to be out in the open with what you do and don't do things that you wouldn't want your kids to find like, you know, however many years later that they have a sibling, or that they have a family or you know, don't do that. Sure, keep it, keep it up front and all and trying to. I don't think I have any I had a very boring life. I have a few old boyfriends that I've talked about and nobody is interested. Yes, and I don't think I don't think my husband has either. But you know there's family secrets.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you never know.
Speaker 1: You never know best to get them out early when they're not that interesting. You want to teach your kids to not discouraged my setbacks, to just keep going.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: You know, one thing goes wrong, you don't want to back out. You want to pick yourself up, dust yourself off, go to Sephora, get inspired, Yeah, and move on.
Speaker 2: From there and do it better than it was.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: I mean she when Ila, when they lose the one sponsor, she gets the new one and she gets a better deal out of it, which is similar to what she did with the trade. So is she going to keep pulling this out of her but every single week? I don't know.
Speaker 1: But this is what we tell our kids all the time, isn't it. Well, this didn't work out for you, but there's something new. Yes, we're going to find the better things and then you're going to do better at that and you'll be so happy that this thing that you're now crying about didn't work out. Even though we as we're saying this, we go, Man, I'm.
Speaker 2: Not trying to lie to my kid right now.
Speaker 1: But.
Speaker 2: I can't be here.
Speaker 1: This is what you say, and then you just start looking around for what that thing is going to be here here, look at this. Fortunately, most of our kids are not succeeding and failing in as public a situation as this one. Yes, that's something to be happy about. Well it won't be on the news.
Speaker 2: So next Wednesday day we will continue with season one, episode three, the Travis Bug Affair. That's Travis Bug is the Chet Hanks basketball player. We saw nothing of the players this time.
Speaker 1: I have enjoyed not seeing them. Also, I should say, following up on last week, based on photos online, it appears that those are his actual tattoos.
Speaker 2: Ah. Interesting shoot, okay.
Speaker 1: Unless all the photos were from this show, which it's possible that yeah, I guess appears that he is in fact inked right.
Speaker 2: Well, see you back here tomorrow for our weekly Roundabout roundup.
Speaker 1: Thank you for listening. You can find all our episodes on Spreaker, Apple Podcasts, Amazon Music, or wherever you get your podcasts. You can find recaps, links, and an opportunity to comment on our website at parentingroundabout dot com.
Speaker 2: You can also talk to us on our Facebook page, on Instagram or on Twitter, where you'll find us at roundabout Chat. And please visit our Amazon shop at Amazon dot com slash shop slash Mamitude, where you can find links to a lot of the things we've talked about over the years.