Speaker 1: The right quist.
Speaker 2: Dodgers Playoff Baseball is back and with it an annual postseason tradition.
Speaker 3: Scam is back. Baby.
Speaker 2: This is Saxon Cakes in the A app BA Go with Proway. Dodger legend Steve Sacks is joined by your favorite Dodger pregame host, Tim Kates. If you want to talk Dodgers, get in on the show on eighty six six nine, eighty seven two five seven now. While the Dan Patrick Show streams on the Ihearts radio app. We've been banished to the Internet until this Dodgers playoff run concludes. Here they are broadcasting live on AM five to seventy LA Sports. It's Tim Kates and Steve.
Speaker 4: Sacks, sax and Kates and the AM Live the local on your Home of the Dodgers AM five to seventy LA Sports. Is the sun starts to peak up here in Southern California in his game Dodgers Yankees Game one of the World Series coming up at five eight right here on your Home of the Dodgers AM five seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 3: We are live at local all day long.
Speaker 4: Don't you go anywhere else the best coverage right here on A five to seventy. We're here until nine o'clock this morning. Saxon kates at the AM. Rogan and Rodney take over at nine. Then at noon it's Petrow some money flex back. They'll start at noon and go until four o'clock. First pitch at five oh eight. All Morongco Casino, Dodgers on deck. Get you started at four p m. Coming up between now and then, we have got a lot to get to. David Vasse Andre Ethier will join us in the eight o'clock hour. We got Game two tickets to give away to one lucky listener who was out with Rogan and Rodney yesterday at Bjay's restaurant in brew House. Hundreds upon hundreds showed up to see the show and sign up to win Game two World Series tickets. We'll announce the winner of the eight o'clock hour. Also in the eight o'clock hour, one lucky winner is gonna win a taco party for twenty yes a party at their house. They'll have Na Choe helmets and Dodger Helmetsy'll have carneis out of tacos. All courtesy of our friends at Chef Marito. Chef Marito Seasoning, the seasoning partnering partner of the Dodgers. It's World Series time. Bring out the chef in you, Saxy. The morning shows are going crazy here in Los Angeles, as we fully expected they would, as they are all at Dodger Stadium doing their live shots. All of them were in there freshly bought Dodger jerseys and gear from the Dodger Clubhouse store, so they are fired up for this game. Dodger fans certainly fired up for this game. We're gonna get into the actual x'es and o's coming up in just a little bit, Saxy, because yes, there actually is a game to be played tonight out of Dodger Stadium. All this lead up, all this high media day yesterday, we actually have a game tonight.
Speaker 3: This gonna be fun. Yeah, that's that's gonna be. Actually, the fun thing is we're gonna watch nineteens of baseball. It's gonna be epic, it's gonna be unbelievable. And of course, well I've got some good questions coming up for the technical parts of this game that we're gonna say for our guests, But I think you're we're going to see the best that baseball has to bring all the hoopla, all the talk, all that stuff. It's time. You know, that doesn't matter anymore. Let's see what happens between lines.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and coming up in a few hours. I don't know what time it needs to be submitted to Baseball, but we'll find out probably the next two or three hours. Uh, the twenty six man roster for both teams, the Dodgers and Yankees. So there's gonna be I mean that time, I think it's nine am this morning is when they have to be officially announced through Major League Baseball. And for the Dodgers. Yeah, there's some questions on who's going to be on this twenty six man roster. What's your biggest the biggest chance is gonna be in the bullpen? Yeah, it's gonna be. Yeah, Vessi is going to be out there, and and maybe Bruce Dargraderole, I mean, Brent Honeywell Junior is probably one of the odd man out. But who else in that bullpen is the odd man out? Is Land and Knack not going to be on this roster? Has Ben Casparius as Enriquez.
Speaker 3: Sperius probably will be. You need the lefty out there, have you gotta have Vessie out there.
Speaker 4: A one hundred percent he's got to be out there to go with Vonda. They need those guys joining us now from Sports net LA. One of the good guys out there, a longtime Major League comes from a family of baseball players. He was a member of the two thousand and nine Yankees World Series championship team, Yes, the last time the Yankees were in the World Series and won a World Series with two thousand and nine a Dodger as well. You see him on sports in net LA, and we're great to have him this morning here on a FI seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 3: He is Jerry Harrisdon Junior, Jay Hare. Good morning, buddy.
Speaker 4: How you doing so, jer Jake? Well, we are fired up. Finally we're here, Jay Hare. We've had a week to get ready for this World Series, all the storylines, all the hooplah, the media day yesterday, and we finally got baseball tonight for you. Having played for both of these franchises, won a World Series in two thousand and nine with that Yankees team, how special is this to have this matchup of two of your teams you played for.
Speaker 5: Well, it's extremely special, listen. You know, like you mentioned I did play in New York. I still know a lot of the people that are still there. Great franchise, great organization. But this is what we all wanted because these two teams are really great teams and also historical teams. You know, anytime you get the Yankees in the World Series, that's a great thing for baseball. Anytime you get the Dodgers in the World Series, it's a great thing for baseball. But get these guys tend against each other. I mean, it's nothing better in our sport. And also we have generational talents on display of this World Series show here Toddy versus Aaron Judge, Ron Soda versus Luking, Betts, Giancarnival Stanton versus Freddie Freeman, plenty of star power. Best two teams in all of baseball going at each other in the World Series. Can't wait?
Speaker 3: Well, Jerry, how's it going this morning? My friend go really.
Speaker 5: Well, really happy?
Speaker 3: Yeah? How bad?
Speaker 5: You could tell?
Speaker 3: Yes, exactly, Jerry, wanted to get your your opinion on this is. You know a lot of question marks about the pitching matchups Flairty against cole Is, Yama, Moto against Rhodon, all these you know, Bueler against you know, Schmid just I know they're not the exact lineups, but but those are the three and that's their basic three. Do the Dodgers have enough as far as starting pitching goes. I think they got to get thirty innings out of this World Series from their starters to make this thing happen. What's your thoughts on.
Speaker 5: I think they have enough. You know, we look, you know, at our starters or against the Padres. Obviously the Padres had a great ball club. In my opinion, the Padres were the Dodgers' biggest threat leading up to the World Series. They've showed they had enough. Now if we can get those innings like you mentioned sactually thirty maybe thirty two, thirty three innings, that gives us enough link out of a pitching staff as far as the stars to set up our bullpen, you know, our bullpen now as well lest expection, we have like a week uh in between the NLCS and the World Series our bullpen as well, lest just hopefully get Alex Specie and Bruce. I think those are two dynamic pieces in the bullpen to kind of make gates their star power in the offense. So I think if we get those starting to thirty three eatings on our starters. That just set up our down at bullpen.
Speaker 4: Yes, Jerry, I look at the roster and what they have to submit for this twenty six man roster or they've got too many guys for twenty six spots. And that's a good problem to have at this point of this season because that means guys have been produced when called upon, whether in the NLDS or the NLCS. We'll see what the roster looks like. But you mentioned if Vessie have Bruce R. Graderol, two guys are going to be on this roster, hopefully coming back from injuries. Miguel Rojas is a big question mark. If Rojas is available, is he on the roster? Do you stick with what that's worked in the last series with Tommy Edmond and Key Key Hernandez playing those two spots that Miguel Rojas could play. What do you do with Miguel Rojas?
Speaker 5: Well, I think if you do right on Ross, he's a guy that you can bring in late in the game. He used to elite at short. Especially if he's healthy, you can maybe put him in late in the game. But right now, as it's six. You know Tommy hadn't been a swinging a hot bat Teak care nanas as well. Most of those guys gotta play every day, I mean without questions. So if you do, Addam mcguil rohas true that his roster, you can sertainly mix, mix and match as far as defensive substitutions late in the game, when we have a lead and pugil Ross back in short suffware defensive, maybe have time he had to go back to center field. Uh, you know lat in games. But right now if a loss, I think he's the guy that come up off the bench, not an every day play, especially with Tommy and Ti car swinging the bat.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Jerry, we all know that Sho Hao Tani can do a million things. Great, one of the things he's not going to do is pitch. Dave Roberts dows that possibility, uh yesterday. But might it be the speed of show Hao Tani that could be a big factor. Is he gonna run when he gets on? We saw him go from first to home the other day and it looked like a gazelle out there. Is there a chance that you know, we're gonna see him cut loose and maybe that speeds a difference, Jah, that is.
Speaker 5: A great question. That's what normal is really talking about. I'm glad you brought it up. I think a huge difference between the rosters with the Dodgers and the Yankees is the base run, the base ring running. The ability of the Dodgers not just stealing bases but going first to third running the bases. The Yankees is past season. Really want the best team on the base pass. I mean, it's been well documented by their guys, by the media over there. So I think heaving show Hal Tiny along with guys like Brookie Bats Rookie Bets has done a great job stealing bases in the postseason, and that Tom Edmick could run. Cheekyr Nas has a little speed. I think collectively that led by show Ale Tiny, they could take advantage of the Yankees Chick as far as being a little smaller into the plate, yes, and taking that after base because as you know, Sass, ninety feet is huge in the World Series.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, Jerry, We're talking about this earlier. The calmness at Media Day with all the hordes of media that were there from around the world and the Dodger players from Otani, Who's never been here before on this stage to Mookie Bettch, so this is his third World Series appearance.
Speaker 3: Freddie Frieman's won a World Series before.
Speaker 4: A lot of the core on this Dodgers team have either been part of the twenty World Series, eighteen World Series appearance, the seventeen World Series appearance. They've been around. How much do you think that factor have been here done that. We know the pressures of the Fall Classic helped this Dodgers team.
Speaker 5: It definitely helps them. You know, these guys understand that the game is still the same is just the outside noise is huge. It's magnified, especially in a World Series and especially with two teams, historic teams, big market means like in lax sure media cover. So these players understand that they need to go out there. Let's continue to play the game the way they play it all season one because the most season, I think all the time it's a different game. But the World Series is the same thing as you were playing. As far as LDX spot style of play. Nlcs go out there, execute and the team that executes, don't think give the extra team X routes should be victorious in this series.
Speaker 3: Jerry, there's gonna be a lot of emphasis obviously on the top three for the Dodgers, but it's really the bottom of the order that's been really the booie for the team in many instances, setting up the situations for Shoheo Tani to do what he does with runners on base. Five day layoff against the Padres, no problem. Is this five day layoff going to make a difference? And what do you think about the bottom of that order and success as successful as they've been so far.
Speaker 5: Well, yeah, we we talk about play of star powers on both sides. I think that is a different between the Dodgers and the Yankees. The Ers are a great team. I don't think they have nearly the depth that the Dodgers do. Once through nine, the Dodgers put together and string together gray at backs, and I think that is a huge advantage for the Dodgers. Seven through nine have done an incredible job. We talked about Tommy. I know it's fourth against left handed pitching a lot of times because Ryan and pitching. He's a little down the order sometimes hitting seventh at k hitting eight sometimes that is a tremendous a manager. They continue to swing the back and get on base for Shoale tiny Mookie Bets. What a tremendous advantage it is for the Dodgers.
Speaker 4: Jack Flarity gets the start in Game one. What's Jack Flairity? Do you think we see the one that struggled last time out or the one who earlier in this playoffs was really dominated against the New York Mets.
Speaker 5: Well, I think we're gonna see a guy that has been great all season long. He had that hiccup in New York, but everybody knows now he had the flu, did not feel good at all. He's pitching on six days. Anytime you get a pitcher like him in his attitude, Uh, giving him extra day's rest, you know he's going to be strong and itching to kind of wipe away in that performance he had against the match. So I don't expect him to pitch well tonight. Give us a chance to win and hopefully get deep in the ball.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Jerry, My last one for you. Obviously. One strength for the Dodgers a bullpen. It's been tremendous all year long, been great in postseason. Yankees got a couple of good guys down there as well, the left hander Hill coming from way down low Weaver, their closer. How do these two bullpens match up in your estimation?
Speaker 5: I think the biggest question mark he's going into the postseason was that bullpen. I know, we've stepped up to be the closer and he's had a really good run. Their bullpen has really kind of shined in this postseason, and I get I don't want to disrespect the Guardians. I don't want to disrespect the Royals, but they're not the Dodgers, so I'm I'm really anxious to see how they're pitching. Stop the bullpen pitches the Yankees of all the clubs, pitched out in the zone. They're trying to get you to chase. That's how they're effected if you make sure you're disciplined at the plate the way that Dons historically have been and in this postseason run, not swinging our pitcher's pitches off the plate. They should put themselves in here, friendly council, they do that, Sax, you know what I do, Casey as well. They got damage when they put themselves in big possession. Take two Y three.
Speaker 4: W Jerry, we appreciate you joining us this morning. I gotta know the most important question, where are you teaing off this morning.
Speaker 5: Old Ranch, Old Ranch County Club.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, love Old Ranch.
Speaker 4: All right, Well hit him straight this morning, have a great round and we'll check you out on sports and nl later later today.
Speaker 5: Believe it. Dodgers and seven Dodgers.
Speaker 4: And seven from Jerry Harrison Jr. There he goes on his way to Old Ranch. If you're playing Old Ranch this morning, look out you're on the lookout for some from Jerry Harrison Junior out there on the golf course. I'm so excited and finally to be actually the breaking down this game. Saxy talking bullpens, talking matchups, talking Big three versus their Big three, talking about the bottom of the lineup, Jack Flarity. I truly expect Jack Flarity to look like the Jack Flarity he did his first time around against the New York Mets in the NLCS. That that hiccup in New York in Game five, I gotta believe is just what it was, a blip on the radar.
Speaker 3: He'll be back to being Jack. You'll know early you'll be And while you have the three components of pitching, velocity, location and movement, I think velocity you know in all respects. In the end, is probably the least important, but it is important because it kind of sets up your other pitches. It's it's important if you're throwing ninety ninety one, it's not all that important. If you're throwing, you know, ninety eight, guys just turn it up. I mean, if you're throwing ninety eight down the middle, they'll turn up the dial and they'll they'll hammer it. So that is not a problem that you can't solve if it's down the middle. That's my question about Jack. Is he going to be down the middle in ninety one or is he gonna be on the fringes of the plate and being able to, you know, circumvent any of those dangerous areas where you know, it's ninety one and down the middle, or is it gonna be ninety four, ninety five and on the fringe, then you got a better chance.
Speaker 4: How important is getting guys to chase, getting swinging missus from guys, maybe chasing pitches out of the strike zone from the Yankees, you know, and getting some help from Jack Flerty there. You know, you don't have to be, as you said, down the middle if he can get some swinging missus and some chases from balls outside the zone.
Speaker 3: That's a big Thing's huge. I mean, imagine it's a safety valve for you. You're not gonna get hurt if you're throwing the ball that's not a strike because they're not going to hit it well. But if they're at the same time going to go out and chase that thing, you have the confidence with your catcher behind the plate in Will Smith, he can block anything back there, so you can throw that pitch. You know, with guys on base, guys on second and third, you can still throw row that nasty slider in the dirt and you know they're gonna chase and he's gonna be's in a blocket. So that's a comfort, you know, for the pitching staff.
Speaker 4: We'll hear from Jack Flaherty coming up in just a little bit. Andre Ethier is gonna join us in less than an hour. David vas Say will join us next hour. Somebody is going to Game two of this World Series. Courtesy of am FI seventy LA Sports. Also we'll get to Steve's keys for a Game one win. We got a lot to get to. Also, we got your chance to have a carne asada taco nacho party at your house.
Speaker 3: Yes for you in nineteen.
Speaker 4: Your closest friends and family gonna come thanks to Chef Marito. Make some carne asada, make some nachos and Dodger helmets. Have yourself a great time in join Dodgers Baseball and the luxuryes of Dodger Stadium.
Speaker 3: Food at your house, all courtesy of the.
Speaker 4: Chef Chef Mariito Seasoning, the official seasoning partner of the Dodgers. It's World Series time, folks, bring out the chef in you. He is Steve Sachs. I'm Tim Kates. Your phone calls coming up. Eight sixty six, nine eighty seven, two five seventy Dodgers Yankees. Finally here, Game one to night right here on MFI seventy Light Sports. Saxon Kate's in the Am, Here on M five to seventy LA Sports, your home of the Dodgers, Game one of the World Series, right here on AM five to seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 3: No need to go anywhere else.
Speaker 4: We got wall to wall coverage live in local all day, Saxon Kates in the Am. Rogan and Rodney from nine to noon, Petrols some money from noon to four. Al Morongo Casino Dodgers on deck at four o'clock, first pitch at five oh eight. Thanks to Jerry Harrison Junior for joining us, Andre Eighthier David Vas Say next hour, also next hour, your chance to win Game two World Series tickets if you're out with Rogan and Rodney yesterday at Bjay's Restaurant in brew House and Rancho Cucamonga and signed up. We are gonna announce one lucky winner coming up in the eight o'clock hour. Also on the eight o'clock hour, one lucky whistener right here on seventy la Sports is gonna win a taco party for twenty. Yes Ay Taco Chef courtesy of Chef Morito is gonna come out to your World Series party and make carneis out of tacos na choe helmets for twenty Enjoy the thrill the Dodgers and Yankees. While you can't be at the stadium, you can enjoy the food from the stadium, all while listening to the game right here on Anfi seventy la Sports. Thanks to our friends at Chef Monnito. It's amazing to see what the coverages for this World Series saxe. It has gone to a new level, so much so that one of the local news stations here on their morning shows, felt the need to do a whole segment. And I was watching this during the commercial break with graphics and everything about your game day essentials. And here's what they put up on their checklist. If you're going to Dodger Stadium tonight, dress warm, Oh, dress cool, Because the weather changes at Dodger Stadium. It's gonna be hot when it starts, it'll be cool in the later innings. Bring a sweater, protect your skin with SPF, hats, sunglasses.
Speaker 3: Recommend not when the sun goes down though, No, no, And this is.
Speaker 4: The most important thing. Remember to hydrate. Oh, folks, we're not going to Coachella. Yeah, not one hundred and fifteen degrees outside. It's gonna be seventy four degrees at first pitch. The subt will be setting by the second or third inning. It'll be absolutely gorgeous at sunset here in Los Angeles for Game one of the World Series. We don't need a checklist of hydrate sunscreen, dress warm, dress cool, Bring a sweater.
Speaker 3: Yeah, come on, That to me sounds like mature hour. He was getting ready for an earthquake or something, right, you know, come on, then we're going to a baseball game. I would say, where would you want get a drink when you're there? And enjoy the game?
Speaker 4: Absolutely, That's what I would say. A different kind of hydrate. Forget the water, go straight to the good stuff, go straight for the booze. Man, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: Enjoy the game absolutely, Savon rialto thanks for being with us here on Saxon Caate in the am as we lead you up to Game one of this freaking World Series.
Speaker 5: Let's go, Hey.
Speaker 6: Morning, Good morning guys. How you doing today?
Speaker 3: Good morning?
Speaker 6: Uh yeah, only share my Game one World Series experience in nineteen eighty eight. Okay, like you're saying, Kate's the orange hoo over Doctors Stadium is amazing once you entered the stadium. Anyways, let me step back a little bit. I bought my ticket for five hundred bucks off of a friend of a friend. So three of us entered the stadium and we're walking in and you see flash bobs going across and we're like, holy cow, what's going on? Well, Mark Maguire was hitting bombs almost out of the stadium, up high up in the pavilion and just like, oh my god, I can't believe this. So we're walking through the seats and I can't.
Speaker 5: Believe this happened.
Speaker 7: Neither.
Speaker 6: Debbie Gibson was there. She's sung in the national anthem. I had a World Series program.
Speaker 5: She signed it.
Speaker 6: It was pretty awesome. So anyways, I got to my seat, sit in my seat with some gentlemen and I'm like, okay, we get security to help out with this the situation, and security came up and they said, sir, your ticket is hot. Your ticket is no good. I'm like what, So they said where did you get the ticket? So I went and I said it was a friend of a friend. He's sitting right over there. And so they went and talked with them, and they came back and they said, okay, sir, you can go ahead and stay in the stadium. We're not going to kick you out. You can just kind of meander around. So my buddy, he swapped seats with me all game. When we stayed for the whole game, we got to see Gibbey's home run. Of course, a lot of the crowd left, so I was able to get a seat closer once the game ended. When Gibby hit that home run. Two grown men twenty years old, hugging each other, we barely Breathe left the stadium hand stinging. You know, that experience was priced. That's five hundred bucks I ever spent in my life. I just wanted to share that story, guys, All right, Sam.
Speaker 3: Appreciate it.
Speaker 4: So you bought an illegal ticket, got into Dodgers DABIU in nineteen eighty eight and got to see Steve Sacks and Kirk Gibson and the crew in Game one of the World Series.
Speaker 3: So okay, at least they kept you in there. They didn't kick you out Dodger Stadium. So that's a good thing. That's a good thing, right. But you know what, that is the best five hundred bucks because people still talk about that home run and they will for a long long time. Oh yeah, that's it's Kirk Gibson's home run. It's going to live in infamy, you know what. You know what, It was great though, when you see it on replay and you see the view from up up, you know, like the camera that was up in the stands and you see the ball going out. All you see is the ball and they're tracking the ball going out, and in the background you can see the cars that are leaving that were they left during the seventh inning. They're trying to get out of the stadium and they're obviously listening to Vinnie call the shot, and all the cars, the red lights of the break lights are just slammed at the same time, and people were going like, damn, I left too early, you know what I mean? Yeah, I just thought that was hilarious. It's the best to see those tail lights of people. Yeah. Wow. Do you remember Debbie Gibson singing the national anthem?
Speaker 6: Then?
Speaker 3: Debbie Gibbson was a rock star? He was a rock star.
Speaker 4: Did she sing it that day? I have no clue if that's what the gentleman Paul just said, so I'm gonna take off his work. Yeah if he If he's remember that, it sounds like around the time where she was really, you know, a big star, right yeah? Oh yeah, huge huge in nineteen eighties. Tonight you got Brad Paisley, country superstar doing the national anthem tonight on race.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Hey, Brad's a huge Dodger fan by Did I tell you what I did to Kenny G one time? Did you take his what does he play the saxophone or flavor or whatever. Yeah, he plays all that, you know, clarinet and whatever. But it was in Oakland, and it was did I tell you the store to him?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 3: Okay, Well, you know, since you and me the only ones listening right now, just the two of us, just two of us. John Shelby was standing next to me. I'll make this quick because I don't like to you know, kind of drown on. But we're on the line. You know you're on the line there, you get introduced. Kenny g Is is star searching the National Anthem. Okay, he thinks that this is a Star Search competition when he's doing the other I like the anthem done very traditional, like I like the words that Francis scott Key wrote when he wrote the National Anthem. And you're listening and it's supposed to be traditional, and then you get people up there that sing it for themselves or they play an instrument for themselves and they're like they're on Star Search. That really ticks me off. And guys would like, come in the locker room and tell me sucks. You don't go out there. You're not gonna like the anthem? No, because they know I'd get ticked off, so I would just stay in the clubhouse sometimes rather than hear a disrespectful national anthem. I love it. So Kenny G is playing the anthem like a star shirts and he finishes, and John Shelby had a ball in his pocket and I said, John, give me the ball. He gave me the ball, and I'm telling you, I took one step back. It was like magic, stepping back on the three point line and I just heaved this this hardball and I hit that dude right in the ankle, short hopped him. Short hopped him right in the ankle, and you can see him limping off the field. And I'm like, yeah, take that, Kenny G. Don't disrespect the anthem. How have you been sitting on this story forever? This is the greatest story ever. So it was like boom right in the fibula. I mean, I just drilled this dude, and you know what, I'm surprised you didn't see me, but I was right on with the shot. I thought, I'm gonna have some good defensive place today. I just drilled Kenny G in then, and they like, this isn't the World Series. In the World Series yeah in Oakland. Yep, yeah, I did it. I tell you, I don't go for that disrespect in the anthem stuff. I mean, you know what I'm with. You's been three minutes and practice how it's done, and know the words when you get up there like you're supposed to. But don't disrespect the anthem. I don't like that. I love it. I absolutely loved the ankle.
Speaker 4: What was it anybody that any of the teammates start laughing and really dying laughing, dying laughing, Yeah, Kenny did Kenny g look around like, well, yeah he was.
Speaker 3: He was like who that? I thought he probably thought there was a sniper in this and you think he's under sniper fire right there or something like where'd this cone wrong?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 3: No, I'm kiddy. Saxophone they got he got a rawling's registered official right there above above the the above above the ankle, bango right in the ankle. I loved it. That is awesome. What a great story. Yes, it's true story. You've been sitting on this for all these years. I never told you. I know I told you this story. Have you have you nailed anybody else with the baseball during the national anthem?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: Well, not with the baseball, but I did boo Donnie Osmond one time in in Minnesota when I was a member of the Yankees. He was star searching the damn thing up and I was I was right there on the dugout standing in attention and the very end of the song or Lando the Free, you know, and he was going like a Lando the Free, Yeah you know that stuff. Oh yeah, And I just let out a boo a lot of I could, and he actually looked right at me. Jo home plate and the dugout are like fifteen feet away. It's just really close. And I booed the hell out of him, right in his face, and he looked right at me, and I'm like, well, too bad, dude, Sorry Donnie Osmond, Sorry Donnio. Not your moment to shine, buddy, No, no, no, no, this isn't star search. And I booed the hell out of him too. Two guys, I really gave it to him. I love it.
Speaker 4: That is awesome, true stories, that is awesome. I wish there was. There's gotta be video of you nailing Kenny g with the Bears. Has to be limping off off of the field. We're gonna have to look at the YouTube.
Speaker 3: There's got to be a video of it. Just got to hit him right in the ankle. I love it.
Speaker 4: I know, I love it. That is awesome. That is absolutely awesome. Hopefully nobody. You know, Brad Paistley does a great job. We love Brad Paisley. Oh he's a listener to seventy and Dodger talk and everything.
Speaker 3: He knows. He knows me. He better do it right now because I might be a sniper over there right head on his swivel for Steve Zach throwing a baseball at you. I love it. I love it.
Speaker 4: Reggie in La Joyce is now here on a La Sports Be careful. Reggie might get a baseball of the leg.
Speaker 8: All right, Hey man, you know we're talking about Yankees and all that.
Speaker 9: Yeah, yeah, we know about that.
Speaker 1: The most important thing we need to.
Speaker 8: Find out right now, Steve Sacks, what's the best national anthem you've ever heard? Because to me, it's Whitney Houston one. Yeah, Lillian and Gussia two and Boyce to men three.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well you got sacked.
Speaker 3: I got listen. If you don't sing the anthem right outside of Whitney Houston. Her rendition is the best no question. But these other people that try to be Whitney Houston. No, you're not gonna be Whitney Houston. There's only one of her. There was only one of her, and nobody did it like that. That's the best rendition ever. I agree with you.
Speaker 1: Oh, and I'm glad we agree on it because when she sang it, I was I don't know if I've ever been more moved than when to Wait Crime.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, And people try to do it like that and it's like, no, you're no Whitney Houston. She's the only one that could do that. Reggie.
Speaker 1: I think I think, I think if you googled Lily and Garcia, I think she would be your number two.
Speaker 10: She was.
Speaker 1: She used to be the WWE announcer.
Speaker 10: Oh.
Speaker 1: I think if you saw her do it, I think you'd be proud of that.
Speaker 3: Okay, all right, appreciate it, Reggie.
Speaker 4: Are you okay with somebody playing the guitar or the instrument because you know, Kenny g wasn't singing right, he was playing the saxophone.
Speaker 3: Of course we'll do it. And then he was really just you know, Kenny gan it out. Yeah, I mean it's I guess it's okay, but just do it right. You know, my niece is a country western singer Elena Jane. You check her out, Okay, and and uh you know, I've talked to my niece and I said, look, Lena, she's done the anthem all over including Dodger Stadium. I'm like, uh, hun, please for Uncle Steven, don't don't don't, don't, don't screw it up. Okay. And she knows, she knows she's gonna go out, and she does it right. She bangs it out. She's really good Elena Jane, so she knows she'll catch the rat if she does it different. Yeah, Uncle Steve was gonna get after her. Even they gonna dig that.
Speaker 4: She's gonna get a baseball to the leg. It's like kadyj did. Let's go to Tepi and Covina. Next up here with Saxon Kates and Am Tepi.
Speaker 11: Good morning, Good morning, guys. You know, today's my birthday and I'm just feeling the energy. It's a beautiful day. I woke up early, and I feel that the stars are aligned press this year for the Dodgers. We're gonna go all the way. I think everybody's focused and My question is I looked online this morning. What's the lineup this morning?
Speaker 4: Lineup has talked about yet? Yeah, linup has not come out, Tappy appreciate happy birthday. Lineup has not come out yet. I think we're still about ninety minutes away or so from the roster being announced, and that's gonna be a big thing to see what the twenty six man roster for this World Series is going to look like. With the bullpen getting some boosts from Bruce Dargraderole and Alex Vesia, but that also means two guys that are currently on the nl NLCUS roster and helped out the Dodgers will be removed from the World Series roster. I think it's probably gonna be Brent Honeywell and one of the young arms down there. They certainly still need to keep one of the bullpen relievers to be a long inning bulkeanting guy, right, Yeah, sure, you still need one of those guys around. Maybe Brent Honeywell survives it makes the World Series roster for what he did in Game five of the NLCS. Maybe Landon Neck isn't on the World Series roster, one of maybe Ben Casparius or Edgardo Henriquez, the young right handed or is not on the roster for the World Series. It's tough decisions. I mean, Gail Rojas, what do you tell me, Gail Rojas if he's healthy. Sorry, you know, we've moved on. We've got guys who are just playing great right now and Tommy Edman and Geek Aernandez. I mean, these are tough decisions.
Speaker 3: I don't think you're I think Rojas will probably be on the on the roster. I don't know if he's gonna start though, that can can't he can't, right, No, no, no, no, huh huh No. He could come off the bench. Somebody gets hurt. You could pinch it. He could, you know, going for defense late if needed, but not not starting. That's not gonna happen. No, no, you can't mess with what has been good for this Dodgers team. Exactly, yeah, exactly. They'll go with the momentum and the flow and hey, you think about the whole thing, tim The Dodgers are in such a great you know, sans the maybe one more pitcher they'd like to have, But other than that, everything is going good. They've got the momentum, the stars are shining that somebody knew all the time. And get this, it doesn't have to be show hey every minute, right, that's great about this team. That is awesome.
Speaker 4: Dustin and Chatsworth here in the eight one eighth the San Fernando Valley. Good morning, Dustin, Good morning.
Speaker 9: Just listening to you guys every day this week, and it's been a blast. And I love the Dodgers, the Dodters fan since the early eighties, and just wanted to put the word out that let's let's go Dodgers beat the Yankees.
Speaker 4: Yeah here, yeah, let's go Dustin. You're right, Let's let's go out and beat those Yankees. Oscar and Baldwin Park, You're next up here with Sax and Kate's in the am on Friday morning, October twenty fifth.
Speaker 3: It's game day, folks. It's Game one of the World Series. What's up? Oscar?
Speaker 7: One of the gentlemen, one of the rest of the sea, Fernando Venezuela. Olah, yeah, there you go, hey, real quick, man, I'm nervous about this game. I'm not gonna lie. Got changing my routine this morning, little bit. I feel like I'm feel like I'm out. I'm about to go play myself. Man, I just want to go out and get it, protect the home field and go too old. Uh and real quick. Fernando Venezuela, I remember see him in the late eighties. I missed Fernando Mainia. I wasn't born yet well in the late eighties.
Speaker 10: Uh.
Speaker 7: I I the movie that Bamba was out, Richie Vallens.
Speaker 5: Uh and my parents I like that movie.
Speaker 7: A love Richie Valens is the story. And my parents joking on the first time I saw Fernando pitching, they said, oh, that's balance because his real life in Venezuela, they said he was related to him. So for the longer I thought he was related to Richie Valens, you know. The later I found out he was it. But Rey real quick too. So the fellows out there you feel the Uh we go to Dodger Stadium, you see those beautiful make canas at the latinas. Fernando helped bring that back to the same So that's his legacy right there. Do you guys have a good day.
Speaker 3: Let's go Dodgers, all right, Oscar love it man.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he brought the mexicanas back to Dodger Stadium. Love and that's great, love it. Thanks for the phone call. Eight six six, nine eighty seven two five seventy. Got one line open if you want to jump on board. We got a busy rest of the show coming up, but you are gonna be a part of it. We'll hear from Jack Flaherty. Andre Ethier joins us after the top of the hour. Somebody is gonna go to Game two of the World Series. One lucky winner right here on scam is also gonna win a taco party for twenty courtesy is Chef Marito. That's coming up, David and Tim.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I've been working on it. Yeah, roll the urs Marito. Steve's got his keys to the game. We got a lot to get to. Thanks for being with us on your commute as you make your way to work, take the kids to school, out and about getting ready for Gabe one of the World Series Sax and Kates in the am right here on a FI seventy ice Sports. Saxon Kates in the Am on a five to seventy LA Sports. You're a home of the Dodgers. You're a home in the World Series Game one tonight from the Galput Motors broadcast with the first pitch coming up at five ozho eight. Garrett Cole goes for the Yankees, Jack Flaherty who goes for the Dodgers. We'll hear from Jack Flarerty in just a minute. Andre Ethier will join us after the top of the hour. David Vesse joins us in the eight o'clock hour as well. We got tickets to Game two of the World Series to give away to one lucky winner. Also, one lucky Dodger fan right here on scam is gonna win a taco party for twenty where Chef Maurito will bring a chef out and cook some tacos, some carne asada and make some nachos and those cool Dodger helmets for you, all courtesy of the official seasoning of the Dodgers Chef Mariito Durian break Zach and I and Michelle were looking up on YouTube nineteen eighty eight World Series national anthems, and we were looking for the video like the suppruterer Pilm. We're trying to find the video of you just dotting Kenny G with a baseball. Cannot find the video of Kenny G. But we did find video of Debbie Gibson singing the national anthem in game one of the World Series of Dodger stated, which is very cool. She did a great job singing that. We listened to it during the break. And then Peter Satara saying in game four in Oakland the national anthem, when you guys were up there playing the Oakland a so found Peter couldn't find game five. We can only find game one, Debbie Gibson. In game four, Peter Satara and maybe.
Speaker 3: Did okay job. You know it's you know, it wasn't it was. It wasn't great really like he did. He kind of meander a little bit. No we for him.
Speaker 4: We just listened like he had a harmonica out just to get us his key right, and then he sang it and we listened to the first couple of lines of it. It was, you know, it was all right, Debbie Gibson. You know, first couple of lines, it's like she's a rock star. You know, she looks great. She sounded great, Debbie Gibson.
Speaker 3: And you know we should probably do. We got to get John Shelby on maybe for next week. Yeah, it's just a quick guest, have to and you can he can tell you about the the the the skip off, the off, the leg of Kenny g That guy loved it. That was phenomenal story, Absolutely awesome, John John. I made John Shelby laugh more than I just love to make John Shelby laugh. He laughed all the time at my jokes and he loved that one. He loved it. So maybe we got to get him on.
Speaker 1: We have to.
Speaker 4: I will reach out and see if we can track him down. I think he's living down with Sarasota, Florida right now.
Speaker 3: Great, he's the best. He's the best guy.
Speaker 4: Tonight we got Jack Flaherty on the mound, the game one starter for the Dodgers.
Speaker 3: You know the story.
Speaker 4: Born in Burbank, grew up here in the San Fernando Valley, went to Harvard west Lake High School. Was a standout high school pitcher. Pitched a Championship CIF victory for Harvard Westlake on the mounted Dodger Stadium. Was drafted by the Saint Leuis Cardinals, one of the top prospects for them. Went to the Orioles went to the Tigers in the offseason, signed a one your deal, trying to see if he can look cash in After a good twenty twenty four season, was traded to the Dodgers at the deadline, pitched well for them at the end of the regular season, has pitched good for them here in the postseason, and tonight he gets the game one. Starting to hear he is yesterday talking to the media about his excitement for being on the mountain night.
Speaker 10: You control, you can control and go out and prepare, you get ready with on the days in between, you're ready to go just you know, a different opponent out there, and you just you know, treated like you would any other series or any other game. So you know, everything else stays the same, everything in between stays the same.
Speaker 3: It's just everything on.
Speaker 10: The outside kind of changes crazy. Even you just look at California in general, of the guys that have come out of here, even some guys that aren't playing. You look at Glass and you know, what a what a role he played for this team for majority of the year, and how much he you know, he'd.
Speaker 3: Love to be out there.
Speaker 10: But uh, you know, the talent overall, and you kind of look at it, you know, not even just nationwide, worldwide, when you when you add in all the players and and and just how deep that this this series is with with talent and and and and the guys and the names that are out there. Uh, it's the star studded as it gets, you know it just uh you you got to go out there and execute your pitches, and you gotta get.
Speaker 3: Him out in the zone.
Speaker 10: And you know, you just got to keep making the pitch after pitch after pitch and not you know, not really give in and uh, just continue to execute, continue to go one pitch after another, and not you know, you don't you don't really group them all together.
Speaker 3: Each pitch.
Speaker 10: You gotta you gotta take it one pitch at a time, and then you know, once that one's done, you move on to the next one and then move on to the next one. So the more that you can slow things down, and the more that you can you can truly focus on the process of of each and every pitch and.
Speaker 3: And and what's going on, I think the better better spot.
Speaker 4: You end up being an All Right, there's Jack Flaherty yesterday talking to the media. He sounds grounded, he sounds ready to go. He sounds like a guy that knows this is a big start, but the moment is not going to be too big.
Speaker 3: For him, and I get it. He's tied to hearing the whole local boy, come back, local guy coming back where he used to go to games as a kid at Dodger Stadium. He's done with that. That that narrative was cool when he first got here, he was on the station talking about that. I was cool. But I think he's beyond that. And right now he's just he just wants to go out and win. Yeah, he does. And you know, it's been a bit trying for him so far in postseason. He's made three starts and his ERA has been a little over seven with a batting average of two fifty four, and it's not great. He struggled in both of those NLDS starts against the Padres and then most recently against the Mets, where he allowed eight runs, eight earned runs, and walked forward those three innings. But in the middle of those, Sandwiched in the middle of those was a brilliant scoreless seven innings against in the NLCS. Right, two hits allowed in Game one of the NLCS, So you know which one is it gonna be? And he's well arrested. He's of the moment. He's not gonna be He's not gonna be tripped up by the fact that this is a big, big it's the biggest start of his life. But I think Jack's right there for it. You know, either one Yamamoto or him, I think they'd be ready for it. I think Jack's gonna rise the occasion. He knows he can do it. Yeah. I mean that Game one start the in NLCS was amazing. Yeah.
Speaker 4: If he can duplicate that what he did against the Mets, that'll be fantastic. And speaking of the Mets, we got a little clarification here Saxon about the incident heard around the world with Kenny G. Okay, we found an article Zach did here in studios found an article from the La Times the same it's all about bad national anthems. Oh it has said that same year, nineteen eighty eight, the Dodgers narrowly averted a clubhouse riot when Kenny G performed at Dodger Stadium.
Speaker 3: Oh.
Speaker 4: Before the sixth game of the National League Playoffs against the New York Mets.
Speaker 3: Oh, okay, that's what it was.
Speaker 4: The saxophoneist took two minutes rather than the normal minute and a half to perform the national anthem. What more, The Times reported at certain points in his rendition, it didn't even sound like the national anthem.
Speaker 3: In as absolutely disgusting.
Speaker 4: Steve Sacks, Dodger second baseman, shook his fist at Kenny g while waking walking back to the dugout after the performance, which he later described as quote the worst I ever heard. Dot dot dot It was terrible end quote. Mike Marshall concurred, quote it was a disgrace to America.
Speaker 3: Quote I love it. There you go. Okay was what game? Now? Game six at home?
Speaker 4: LA Times says game six of the nationally Championship series against the New York Mets.
Speaker 3: Okay, all right, well my was it. I'm telling you guys, it was the worst. And he got a registered official rawlings right off the fibula, and I just love doing it. Thank you so much. Absolutely, that is clarifying. Where and when we.
Speaker 4: Are gonna get John Shelby on next week to talk about the n City. We're gonna have a frame by frame breakdown of what happened, because this is unbelievable.
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, We're gonna We're gonna search now see if we can find this, because certainly Debbie Gibson's tremendous performance in the World Series is documented out there. Peter sit terris performance is documented.
Speaker 3: When we come back. You throw the meme out there like mah, we'll come back.
Speaker 4: Get to more of your phone calls at busy eight o'clock hour here on Saxon Kates and The AM. Andre Ethier joins us. Next, one lucky Dodger fan is gonna win a taco party courtesy of Chef Marito Carneis out of tacos not chosen the Dodger helmets, and we're gonna announce our Game two World Series tickets winner.
Speaker 3: And David Vassa joins us.
Speaker 4: It's all coming up right here Saxon Kates and AM Live and Local on your home with the Dodgers am FI seventy al A Sports